Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, Holy.
Speaker 2: Crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show.
Speaker 1: Idiots, the kids are crying or turn off.
Speaker 3: Your coaches are screwing it up. Gold Plea inner.
Speaker 1: Murals, Brother gol Pleay, intermurals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick coffee?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. Happy Friday, welcome in. I start this show and by the way, three hours with me and then I'm out of here for a week. So it's just a warning. Be advised. You will not have me for a whole week. And I I mean, if you haven't made arrangements, if you haven't figured out how you're gonna deal with my absence, I would start working on it now. And I hope you can you can sense sarcasm. But anyways, it's a Friday. I'm feeling good, but I'm a little panic. Because I've mentioned this before on the show. I use the platform that is X previously known as Twitter. I still call it Twitter. I think we still reference what gets put on the platform as a tweet. Therefore, I just think X is just it's never really it just hasn't really clicked with me. But anyways, it's a really big resource and tool for me when it comes to this show because I hit the like button, there's a little heart there, or I direct message a tweet to myself, and like that's like, really how I take notes. I mean, it's super useful. I'm sure I'm not the only person with a platform like this that uses X slash Twitter to you know, I don't want to act like it does the show for me, but really that's where like, that's where all my notes are essentially, and then I just take a lot of what that is and you know, run on off of it. But the platform is down as we speak. I thought maybe I got like banned or something. Maybe I got I got kicked off. Maybe Elon Musk, you know, maybe he wasn't a fan. I don't know, but my mind's up. It looks like it's working again. Lisa desktop version, Okay, yeah, it looks like we're back in business. But uh yeah, there was that and then I couldn't get my my my headphones untangled, so I'm scrambling.
Speaker 4: Of course, all this happens before a vacation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on a Friday, and it's I mean, it is beautiful outside. It I feel like we are violating protocol in some way by not being outside right now a little warm, I mean it is, and you you want to hear something crazy? Currently right now at three oh two in Louisville, Kentucky, it is warmer, nicer than it will be at any point next week when I am in Florida in uh Navarre Beach. So you know, that's just kind of how it works out. Not great, but you know, I'm gonna at least enjoy the great weather we have today while I can, because it is seventy nine degrees and four Street Live is popping right now. I mean for a for a Friday at three, you know.
Speaker 4: What a couple families. I didn't look out into the actual district area, but.
Speaker 2: Oh, the restaurants that have like the outdoor seating, they're full and you've got people kind of hang I've never seen people hanging out at the tables that and sometimes the tables aren't even out, but there's some tables that sit right out in front of PBR. Yeah, and people are sitting out there just doing some day drinking because you know why, they're pre amy for Kid Rock tonight. I didn't even know. You didn't really you forgot kid? Yes? Yeah, So I mean all I can say is that four Street tonight is gonna be is gonna be something. I mean, PBR tonight is gonna be something because you might have to go. I don't know about it, man ride the Electric Bull, I mean doing like a vibe check. Like post kid rock concerts, people are making their way to the bars. That could be something, couldn't it? Absolutely because it's it's intriguing.
Speaker 4: But here it's a good show. I'm not a huge kid rock guy. Here it's a good show.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't have any feeling at all, like I don't you know with kid Rock currently with like his I mean I don't. Does he make new music?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think he's still relying on in the old days. Actually, you know what, I don't hate Kate.
Speaker 3: Rock in a way.
Speaker 2: I will I will always have a not a soft spot. But like kid Rock is when he blew up with ball with the ball de bang to bang Diggy Diggy when that became a thing. That was right around the time when I was old enough to like buy my own CDs. And one of the first CDs I bought was kid Rock and his debut album, and I just thought it was the coolest thing ever. I remember I'd watched it on TRL. I mean I was twelve, I think at the time. And I mean I'm not. I mean, he has songs that I think will are to me. They're you know, they're timeless, right, Like I guess it is ball with the Ball his biggest hit. It's probably not like mainstream wise, it has to be that. Or he did a song with bad Yeah, a song with Sheryl Crow. Sure, yeah, I mean that was kind of you know whatever. But and that that led him to probably entering the ears of people that typically wouldn't be getting the kid Rock that we got when he debuted. But yeah, his great song though his debut album, I feel like it had a bunch. Maybe it's just because it was one of the CDs I bought and I listened to it, you know NonStop.
Speaker 4: Felt that way with the Baja Boys or Baja men.
Speaker 2: Really, right, I remember different eras you and I I.
Speaker 4: Remember getting that CD just because I like the who Let the Dogs Out? And I would just play that all the time. But I think it was like the last it was the last track on their CD. But I think with the old uh uh, the older quarter that I used to have wouldn't let you skip songs, so you had to listen to like the whole CD.
Speaker 2: Look, it could be. It could be because it's a Friday, but I feel like, you know, we have a lot of concerts to come to the Young Center Austin, you know, because you times are a part of promotions for all that. But Kid Rock, and I'm sure a lot of it is because of his strong political stance, but like he'll bring people out in a way that most people that come to the YOUM Center. Oh yeah, well he just will like he's got that. You know, showed a.
Speaker 4: Video of Trump last time he was here, like two years ago.
Speaker 2: I bet people went insane, Yeah they did. So anyways, Kid rocks in town. We'll play some kid Rock today, right, we have to. It's only fitting, of course they sent some kid rock. So but I just know they're gonna be lathered tonight. They're gonna be and when I say they, I mean those in attendance, the spectators, and uh, I just would love to be you know, I'll just say it. It's always kind of like a a It's not nice to say because it's almost as if like you're I mean, you're making fun of people, but like it would be people watching heaven, would it not. I mean, it would just be it would be amazing. So again, if you're going to kid Rock, enjoy yourself. I won't be there, but uh, I'm sure that won't impact any of you guys. You're gonna have fun, all right. So where do we start today? I mean, we've got sweet sixteen games to react to from last night. The under not hitting in that Duke Arizona game just gutted me. I mean, man, I was down bad because everything else just looked perfect. I mean it was just playing out like, I mean, the first two legs, you and I were going back and forth, I mean, and it felt like, I mean, this thing is setting up to where like we can put on cruise control. Not to say we're gonna win it, but like we weren't sweating the first two ye because clearly, I.
Speaker 4: Mean even texted you how good it was looking I thought I was talking about you. Yeah, I mean, which I was too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both, you mean it both ways, right, so you know anyways, and then you know the under I mean, what was there five threes made in the first two minutes of the Duke Arizona game like that alone. Let you know, it was dead. I mean it was dead.
Speaker 4: They had like ninety at halfs and.
Speaker 2: Then midway through or maybe like seventy five to eighty percent through the first half, there was like brief hope that like, okay, if they slowed down, if they stopped hitting threes, and then they score a bunch late in that three at the buzzer from flag. I mean, it was it was, it was cooked. And then I never took the col Arkansas money line straight bed just because I didn't, you know, I just didn't. But even though they lost, they still covered and you know, good action, no doubt we got games tonight. We'll get to trust me, that'll be a huge part of today's But I just wanted to start by saying for all of those well, you know, good for Cal. I mean, oh yeah, I mean good for Cal. I'm happy for him. I mean yeah, I mean, look, I mean, hey, hey, worked out better for everybody, right, like, hey, we're fine. I mean I look good for Cal, like for all those people that were just lying to themselves, like not even I can just see people not even talking to anybody, just talking aloud to themselves, Like yeah, I'm happy for Cal. Just trying to convince yourself that it wasn't really really bothering you, that the man was flourishing in the first weekend, wins over Kansas, wins over Ricky p and then you know, I mean, like, let's just back up, go back to Sunday after he beat rick Betino, punched his ticket to the second weekend. I mean you you, I mean, your buttholes were tight. You knew that the pressure was on Pope, which is silly because Pope can't control that. But had Cal made the second weekend and you didn't, I mean, look, it's a breakup, it's a divorce. You know what happens when those things take place. You constantly compare yourself to other, to the other, right, like, you're you want to win the breakup, and you won the breakup up as far as having a better season.
Speaker 4: But then, of.
Speaker 2: Course, you know he beat you when he had one win and sec play in five losses, and if he would have made the Sweet sixteen and you didn't like it, wouldn't have had anything to do with the future of Kentucky basketball under Mark Pope. But again Cal was there forever. It was a odd exit. I wouldn't say it was like super toxic, although it kind of was right. I mean, he didn't like the fan base they had to force themselves to, you know, like him, and a lot of them just at the end were clearly just not on board. Like it had run its course. So last night to see Cal go full Cal and completely implode, I mean I was not at all surprised. Should have expected it, honestly to see the victory lapse from Kentucky fans. And look, I would have done the same thing. I would have I mean, like it's totally normal. That's that's what I alway I found myself. When it comes to the many years I've had a platform to talk about the rivalry, I've never understood those that try to downplay it. Right, Like, what makes us crazy about our programs around here is because the emotional investment that we've made, it's probably not healthy. In fact, I'm certain it's not because I shouldn't get worked up when it comes to these things as much as I do. But you know, it's I don't think I could change if I tried, and I don't want to change. But with cal like again, like you didn't just like okay, have a nice life, Like he was your guy for a long time and you you know you you had a lot of success with him and then it kind of fell apart. So I just think it's it. We don't even know these people, right, like on a personal level, Like you don't know John cal Perry, I'm sure. So it is kind of crazy that it that it, you know, can consume you the way it does as far as just like everything that comes with being a diehard fan of of a blue blood program. But like it's a normal thing for you to want cal Perry to lose. And what I've I guess been annoyed by is those that play the you know, well, good for him, Yeah, I'm I'm happy for him. No you're not. You're not, And you were happy as hell last night that he lost. Just admit it. It's okay, it's normal. You should embrace it, like I think cal if he wants will be remembered in a like, he'll probably do the same thing. Rick did not go coach Louisville. But I mean, once he's done at Arkansas, I guarantee he'll find his way back. He'll be honored, and he'll do cal things and and you'll remember the good days of cal and not really think about how it ended. But he went to the SEC, he went to a conference opponent that you play, and there's no doubt about it. I remember, you know, roughly a year ago, whenever it all happened, right, whenever he decided to go to arct Or, he found a you know, he found new life. He found a new job that would pay him compared to, you know, close to what he made at Kentucky, a good situation where he could win. And you hired Mark Pope, Like everybody knew you were going to be comparing yourself to him, and he was going to be comparing himself to you. Like that's just I think that's a very normal human like thing to do. You know, it's not like you're really married. We're not talking about your ex wife or your hex husband, but you know, he was your coach for a long time. And when it comes to Kentucky basketball. You know, their fan base is passionate and as insane as anybody. So I was again, I wasn't really thinking much about it, but to see the victory laps last night was a very natural thing. And don't fight it. If you wanted to take the victory lap, but you didn't do it. Maybe it's a little late now because you know toime has passed and now you got to worry about your team playing the night. But most Kentucky fans who would claim that they were unfhazed in any way or they were bummed for Cal, like, I think you're liars, I really do. Now let's talk about the meltdown that took place. I mean it was it was Cal Like. That's that's what Cal does.
Speaker 5: He.
Speaker 2: I mean, he blew a thirteen point lead with you know, four and a half minutes. I mean he was up by what's seventeen early in the second half, and it just came down to him getting out coached when it comes to x's and o's scheme, And it's such a lazy, low hanging fruit thing to bring up when it comes to Caliperry, And what I mean is, well, he just rolls the balls out. He's a recruiter, he can't coach. Some of that's true, but it's not that simple. There are a lot of things that come with being a head coach that have nothing to do with x's and o's strategizing that can make you great at this. He has a lot of that, but when it comes to you know, dialing things up, getting the clipboard out right, that's where he lacks in a major way. And it was on full display last night because you know, Cal not to defend him, but like when it comes to getting the team even in the position last night, again he has and jan now Davis started playing really, really well. And look, it's always weird because I kind of pumped the brakes anytime I go there because he is coaching elite talent that every program wanted. But he's also you know, most of them are freshmen and he I think, I believe he's always been able to clearly get more out of those guys than most would because one of the things that he was criticized for for a good reason during his time in Lexington, especially towards the end, was the fact that he he would, you know, give you the excuse, well, they're young. What do you expect? They're young? They're young, And I think he would do it just to piss you guys off talking about Kentucky Farance, I really do, like I think he knew that you will like but you chose to be young, you could have, you know, like he did it just to mess with you. He trolled you towards the end. But he would always say that publicly, well they're young, they're young, or he would say things like, you know, we haven't practiced. But I don't think he coaches those like he he'll bay them and defend them about being young in a press conference, in an interview on his radio show, But I don't think he does that internally. I think he demands a lot out of those guys that at eighteen, And that's why you can get too late in the season and Arkansas be playing as good as they did down the stretch, and they played really good last night until it fell apart. So you know, you know his whole I can't hide you here at Kentucky, and he's probably saying the same thing playing the same hits at Arkansas, I can't hide you here, Like I think that's an element to where he really does not treat you at all like a freshman when he's coaching you, but he does you know, he's going to defend you to the media because that's that's his approach. So again, he's got a gift at getting young talented freshmen to I believe, being a much maybe not a much better, but a lot better situation in February and March than they would be had they played for somebody else. Now there are exceptions. Anthony Davis would have done that wherever he went, Cooper Flagg at Duke would have done that, wherever would be doing this wherever he went. Exceptions, But there's other guys, you know, like a Shay Gilders Alexander. You know, I can't credit Cali Perry for Shay Gilders Alexander being an NBA MVP candidate for the second straight year, because that's his ability, his talent, and he's clearly got a great work ethic. He came to Kentucky kind of hungry, right like, he wasn't a primetime recruit compared to the vast majority of the players that John Calipari brought in, but he he got him ready to wear. Shay was what not. Even starting at the beginning of the season, he was behind Quade Green, you remember that name, And then by the time you got to February, he was one of the best guards in the SEC. So again, clearly he's doing it with a talented player. But I just think there's things that like cal is really really good at some things that have nothing to do with X and o's, which will always make him a relevant and a good coach that will win I think a lot more games than he will lose. But his blatant lack of strategic x's and o stuff has been evident since he was at UMass. It's just it's just clear. So sometimes he can overcome that, right, sometimes he can overcome not being great that the x's no is because he really just he unleashes an insane amount of talent with his roster every year. And if he's got him playing with confidence, and they're playing at their highest level, and they're competing like they you know, like they did when they went to Rup, like they did whenever they played Saint John's last week, those are like he can get those guys to be at their best and play like absolute dogs in those moments and again, I think that's a gift that he has and that's a factor in him being a coach. There's a lot of components to being a coach. There's a lot of different ways to do it, different styles. But I still think last night was again a great example of he's always lacked when it comes to just strategic stuff. And you know that, I think is why he has one title. I mean a Kentucky he should have had more, right, and if you go back, I mean all the tournament laws, so it's not all of them, but a lot of the tournament losses that Cali Perry had at Kentucky in the last decade, most of them were to teams that you just know weren't as good as Kentucky. Now that doesn't mean that you know you can't lose a game, but like Yukon in the championship game, Kevin Alie beat him in the championship game. Think about that, like that's insane, right. Look at that team he had, Julius Randall, I mean, James Young, I mean that the Harrison Twins, Like that team was great. And then you know Kansas State in the Sweet sixteen, Bruce Weber coaching that team, by the way, like Kevin Alie, Bruce Webber. They sent Cal home with an NBA roster And it's because when you have that weakness of just you know, strategic x's and O stuff, even bad coaches can take advantage of it at times. And just to see him, you know, not call a time out late last time, I mean, it was an absolute It was a mess, and I'll be honest that kind of enjoyed it myself. I mean I didn't really have any you know, I wasn't pulling for Cal in Arkansas. But there is the element in the rivalry where it's like, Okay, if he keeps dancing on and they somehow, you know, slip up and lose, let's say they lose to Night to Tennessee, that'll be bad for Kentucky fans. And I kind of want that to happen because you know, I'm a lunatic. That's what the rivalry does to us.
Speaker 4: That would be one of their possible worst case scenarios that Dately never would have thought of going into this year to in my opinion, yh oh.
Speaker 2: And I agree, and look tonight, these players for Kentucky have no they don't care about John Calipeire. They don't even know him, you know what I mean? So in Mark Popel like there's no pressure in any way and has not been in any way for this team that Kentucky has right now to perform in March because they got out do Calipari Like they don't even think about him, they don't know him. But the fan base it's been on there like they it's been on their mind a lot more than I think they would admit. So anyways, let's get to a quick break. In fact, before we do that, let's go to the phone lines. We've had somebody that's been waiting patiently. But when we do take this call and then take a break, we'll come back and get you set a lot to get to a busy, busy day and uh, I hope you guys hang out. But let's go to let's go to let's se is it? Let's go to Jay Rock? Who wants to talk Kid Rock?
Speaker 5: Hey, I got a couple of things. First off Balls by ninety and uh bro talking about Kid Rock's debut album. Now, he had an album back in nineteen ninety and his best song ever is called Yodling in the Valley. It's about Kid Rock Joldlin in the Valley.
Speaker 2: You need to check it out, Jay Rock, would we be allowed to play it on the show?
Speaker 4: You think?
Speaker 2: Or is it too is it too graphic?
Speaker 5: No player?
Speaker 2: Thank you Jay Rock. No Player.
Speaker 4: That's all the endorsement on E.
Speaker 2: That was kind of a badass way to end his call. Yeah, I mean, Jay Rock usually is just ahalla, but that no Play. I mean I felt like he meant it when he said.
Speaker 4: Right, he's he's yes, not the first time.
Speaker 2: Kid rocks first album was probably a rap album because for those who don't know, like that's what he did before. I mean, like he was his image now compared to his image like you ever seen the movie How House Party Kid and Play? Yes, so like I'm pretty sure he had a haircut similar to the guy who has you know, like the oh yeah, I always get the two guys mixed up in that movie Kid and Play. I don't know which one's which, but yeah, Kid Rock has he's had quite He's evolved in a major way over the last you know, over the last twenty something year. In fact, longer than that. I mean this was in nineteen ninety. This is probably okay, this right here, it's the most notable one, right has to be. And it's like so sing along Kumbaya corny.
Speaker 4: But you know but in karaoke song that in picture, yeah yeah, American.
Speaker 2: Badass was really really oh yeah, really good.
Speaker 4: It's the undertaker right there, baby.
Speaker 2: It's stuff all right, quick break, keep it locked right here. It's coffee and Company. Feel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to Coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So, Kid Rock is in town the night at the YOUM Center. And I mean I never claimed to be like a Kid Rock super fan at all, because I'm not, oh absolutely, but I said debut album, like he had way more albums than I realized, like before he was famous. I guess I meant, like, you know, when he became mainstream, because it was the album in nineteen ninety eight that was Devil without a cause I was ten years old. Now I probably shouldn't have been listening to kid Rock at that time, but like I remember when he became like a thing. I remember, I'm looking at the cover right now because I had this CD. I got birthday money and I went and bought I went and bought this CD, Devil without a Cause. And then I also purchased Limp Biscuit they have I don't remember the name of that album, yeah, but it is the one that had.
Speaker 4: The chocolate starfish and the hit dog flavored water?
Speaker 2: Did it off of the nookie? That's that's what that yeah. So and then also I also there was one more CD that I bought. Oh it was well, no never, that was a different time. Well, I mean you said it like the first few CDs I bought are those two? And then I also bought Eminem's one of his out, one of his first albums, and and those were like I just remember, and I think a lot of people listening. Rather if you're somebody who you know, was a lot younger than me, and your first introduction to music was on you know, was digital, like on the internet, not radio, then then you know you make me feel old. But like even if you're somebody that is a lot older than me, like you probably remember the first record you bought, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Right, I think those three right there, lip Biscuit, Kid Rock, Eminem when we talked about like late nineties, you said it earlier, like that's It's plastered everywhere on TRL E entertainment magazines and stuff like that. And that's that's what I remember with Carson Daley A TRL was watching that all the time. It's TRL right, Oh yeah, TRL. I thought I was getting mixed up. But yeah, that that and music that did such a thing for music and influence on us as kids. Like you said, we probably shouldn't have been listening to that music, but the culture that had I mean, hell, they were on like like wrestling and stuff. That's how I got introduced a kid rock with well that was a freaking undertaker.
Speaker 2: So that was when the internet was a baby, right, and you still had to absolutely utilize mainstream traditional television radio like you know, Like I don't know if the WWE Attitude era would have happened if the Internet and social media existed at that time. No, And that's that's a crazy thing to think about. And I'm I know, I just did a hard right turn to wrestling there, But I'm just thinking like in that like that was all kind of the same time, right, Like that was the same era, like late nineties, early two thousands, yep. And I'm looking here at the track listing for that Devil without a Cause album and I forgot about only god knows why, Like that was deep. I remember, I remember, you know, ten year old me thinking like, man, this is deep, like I can relate to this, and you know, of course not like I mean that is that is a really funny and I mean a really funny TikTok trend that I'm seeing all over TikTok whenever I'm on there, that it's in the algorithm, probably just because I you know, they got like a chip in my brain or something. I can think of something that I want to see and then I'll open up TikTok and it'll be there, like it's insane. And I'm sure there was a real reason why we had to worry about losing the app because of you know, the information and what you know, basically what they have. We use the app, but I'll live with it because forget, it's entertaining. But they'll show people will now post a picture of them as like a child when they're like, you know, eight, nine years old, ten years old, maybe a little bit older, maybe a little bit younger. And the caption says, this was my anthem, and I was obsessed with this song when I looked like this. And if you go and like pull a picture of me as an eight year old, I guess I would have been in like third fourth grade, probably going into fourth grade at the time this album came out, and I remember, like, I mean I could sing every word to these songs. I probably you know did in my room. But like a picture of me as an eight year old with you know, ball with the Ball or Cowboy or Devil without a Cause, Like, just like that, it's not fitting, you know what I'm saying, Like they'll be, they'll be the most the most common tiktoks I'm referring to are like girls that are awkward in like eleven and there, and it's a girl song that's like or a rap song that's like super provocative and like sexual, and it's just like it's awkward. But like I'm sitting here thinking, like you know what, like I eight year old Nick was listening to things that he had no business listening to, and you know, kind of like getting lost in the music as if like I'm the target audience when in no way, shape or form was I People like kids still like get connected to music now, right, Like I I think so I mean, like I've got I guess I'll find out because I'm gonna be going on spring break next only kids. Yeah, Like I've so my daughter she's she's nine, My son is four, and he, by the way, my son, he really loves I mean, but my kids like music. But I'm just in everybody, I think it'd be unnatural to not like music. But I'm just thinking, like, how do you consume it now when you're young, Like for us, it was radio, and it was it was TRL, and it was like the local radio stations around here. I'm sure you know, heck, some of them are probably down the hall. I mean as far as like they were stations that were you know that that are still around that were like ninety eight nine has been around forever. Yeah, And I remember they would be like a top ten countdown and like I would listen, we would listen to at night, like the top ten songs. Because I mean, it's just a crazy thing to think about as we sit here on March twenty eighth, twenty twenty five. I grew up in a world where if you didn't, if they didn't, if they weren't playing it on the radio, you weren't hearing it, like you know. Now you can get it at your fingertips at any moment, like you know, or you could buy the album, but like a lot of times, you know. And that's how they were able to sell so many copies because the build up, right, Like you would release a single that people could only hear on the radio, and you're building up to promote that you've got this big album coming out, and people want to listen to it and it's not and they don't want to rely just on the luck of turning on the radio at the right time. They'll go line up outside of a store to buy it. It's just a lot of things have changed in a major way with technology over the years. I mean, the rapid growth in like a five year time span is crazy. But I feel like music because it's something that you know, it never goes away, right, Like we have different trends, different styles. I mean, I feel like now we're kind of in a genre less phase. But I feel like that sped. Like the thinking about how we got music ten years ago compared to how we do it now is insane. I mean, the streaming it's nowadays, Like who downloads albums on iTunes? Anymore. Is that even a thing like that? That was like the new way to get music because you didn't have to go buy it at the story. You could just buy the album and download it on your iTunes. Now people have Spotify or they have Apple Music and you just like you stream it that way.
Speaker 4: I thought for a while iTunes was like completely done, but I mean you could still go on iTunes like dot com.
Speaker 2: So so like yeah, like I'll I don't do it anymore because I don't need to. But before you were able to download movies from like Hulu, Netflix, right like if I would fly and I couldn't rely on streaming because I didn't have service like I now, I just download something on Netflix and watch it when I'm on the plane. But not that long ago, that wasn't a feature to where I would have to go to iTunes and download a buy a movie or rent a movie and then download it. And I remember, like probably three or four years ago, doing that and thinking to myself, man, like iTunes, it looks it looks like I just pulled up AOL dial up internet, you know what I mean, Like it's just I haven't been here in a while, and uh yeah, it's just I don't know. It's crazy how how things evolve, and it's kind of sad, like there's something about nostalgia that is like a drug, Like it puts me in a trance of like, oh my god, to go back to you know, hearing that dial up internet sound, and I know I could easily pull it up on YouTube. But you know, just like you don't have a clue at the time that you will one day, decades later long for just little little things, you know what I mean. But you know that for some reason, just really like stood out. Anyways, we'll move On's Coffee and Company. We're fiel about Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. As you could expect, we did spend some time at the beginning of the show discussing last night Sweet sixteen results and really no upset, right, I mean, you had Florida take care of business against Maryland, really pull away in the second half. Alabama was insane. I mean, Alabama, when they're shooting threes like that, there's no reason to play them. Give them the title. Now again, they've also had many games where they don't shoot like that, But it played out exactly the way not I mean I didn't think they were going to make what twenty five threes break a record, Like, I didn't see that coming. But again, if there's a team that that you know is capable of being able to do that, they're clearly they're one of them, or maybe the only one, just because they're built to do that. But I thought to myself, you know, BYU they're hot, and they were competing early. They actually got up to a really good start. BYU's probably one of the hottest teams in the country as far as momentum. They can score a lot of points. They were averaging like eighty to a game. I like their young coach. But here we have a team who the way they want to play when they're at their best, they just so happened to be facing a team that is built to do it, but a lot better than them, better pieces just I mean, and that's how that game ended up being. It really was, I mean, honestly, it wasn't. I mean, it was a blowout. What was the final score? I don't have it pulled up here, but they won by twenty right or close to it. I feel like they.
Speaker 4: Play one hundred and eleven to eighty something like that or one hundred.
Speaker 2: To eighty because I feel like BYU competed, like I don't think that they mean, again, they're not great defensively, but neither's Alabama.
Speaker 4: One thirteen to eighty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was I mean it was. It's a beat down, but it really came to like had they made I don't know, thirteen fourteen threes instead of twenty five. I mean, it's a much different ballgame, right, but work Sis came out and hit like nine. I feel like at halftime by the half, I'm exaggerating, but I mean it was. It was insane and again it was a record and I'm trying to pull up this stat that I it's one of those things that I just see appear across the timeline and I'm like, wow, that's crazy. Let me let me favorite or like whatever you call it on Twitter so I can reference this. But it almost makes like sometimes there's like some of these things like can't be true, right because let me see if I can pull it up here, and now that I'm referencing it and not able to find that it could be one of those things where it's been deleted because somebody was able to determine that, like it wasn't true, but they could have. They could have won the game tonight. Yeah, here it is. And I guess this is really simple math. It's not like you know, you got to really, I mean, do you any fact checking, But they could have not made a single two point shot and still won the game.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean I haven't even looked to see if that's remotely true, but I just saw it last night when I was, you know, a couple of gummies in and I'm just like, wow, that's crazy, and it stood out. But yeah, Alabama, that version of Bama unstoppable. But clearly, you know they're not going to make twenty five threes every night, but if they make like eighteen, that's really not that unusual for them, and that makes any team tough to beat. So Bama last night, again they were insanely hot. But it's kind of a reminder that they've not been really the flavor of the season, right like because they went to the nobody's acting like they're terrible or anything like that. But they broke through last year when Nadoes got to a final four. Clearly in the SEC, I think there's been more attention understandably so on Auburn and Florida. Obviously, Duke is in the limelight like always, but now even more so because of Cooper Flag. But last night Bama showed a sign that I'm thinking, Okay, that's a team that, like, if they win it all, can't we can't be surprised Arizona. You know, they I give them credit, right, I mean, like they lost, they did cover with that backdoor cover late, but I feel like they competed and they were you know, they were. They're just not as good as Duke. Like Duke. When Cooper Flag was rolling like that, I mean like they're gonna be tough to be right. I mean he's sensational obviously, and just like their game against Baylor, you now have the other players on the team playing really well and it's not like, oh that role player. He's you know, he's not hurting you on defense or he's making his free throws. You know, Like Cooper Flag is such a high profile star that gets all the attention because he's exceptional. He's very good. He's deserving of every praise that I hear him getting. But right or I mean, it's nobody's fault, it's just how it played out. But he also has dudes on his team that are really really good, like Proctor obviously and con Kinipple. I mean, you hear it said multiple times every game you watch Duke, and it's because you can't help but say it. As an announcer, I would assume that, like you want people to realize, yes, this Cooper flag out maybe once in a lifetime kind of talent, but like this Conk Nipple due like he's also one of the best players in the country.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 2: So Duke rolled Florida, rold Alabama rolled and Arkansas and Caliperry melted down and everybody was seemingly happy to see it. Last night was a reminder kind of just like last year when they lost to Oakland, that Cal is a guy that when he's your guy, what are you gonna do? You're gonna support your guy. But if he's not your coach, you like seeing him lose. You like he's a great villain for college basketball. And I mean that because when I saw everybody dancing on his grave last night and celebrate, because it would be one thing if he just lost a close game like the way he lost it give I mean, it's it kind of in the moment. It actually doesn't eliminate what he did to get there by beating Kansas and Saint John's, Bill self and Rick Wtino, but the way he lost it definitely dampens the fact that he surprised people by even getting to the Sweet sixteen, does it not? Because it just reminds you of this guy. He's phenomenal at building teams and recruiting. But man, if you get somebody that's you know, strategizing and they've got good players too, he's cooked. And that's exactly what happened. But cal he can handle being the villain, he can handle dealing with everybody hating him, but he doesn't do well with his own fan base. Like that's what really made it, I think, not to play you know, psychiatrist here with Big bluination and their former coach. But whenever they were awful in the COVID year and won like seven eight games, he basically got a million dollars per game he won, and you know, there was criticism in a way that he hadn't been criticized before. And then he lost to Saint Peter's. He heard the fan base that worshiped the ground he walked on criticized him in a way that he never expected, and he never recovered from that, Like he never like he I mean he, I mean he's all I mean that's why, Like he's all about loyalty and he thinks that like he was betrayed by his fan base. Like let me give you an example, Like Seth Greenberg and him are really close. Seth Greenberg makes a fool of himself discussing Caliperry when he's doing his job for ESPN. Because he's so loyal to Cal, he can't criticize him, like he can't like he can't be real because it's just all about loyalty. It's like Italian mob stuff. I guess so Cal I think does have tough skin when it comes to everybody else outside of his own because Dan Hurley, he's the new villain, right, he's soft as can be. He plays victim. H what's everybody acting like I'm a lunatic? Cal Like that's why he like that's why he doesn't have buddies in the media, Like he's not chummy with I mean, him and Goodman hate each other, right, like Pat forty they hate each other. It's a personal thing. Like Cal's probably got a dartboard with their face on it. That's just how he's built. So last night to see everybody enjoying seeing the villain go down, it actually, you know, I thought to myself, I got respect for Cal because like he's done. He's been that guy since he was at UMass and he's comfortable in it. But where it got weird and where he was called, you know, soft, and you know he cares too much about people think he won't like if he knows like fans are wanting him to do something, he won't do it intentionally. And it's because one he's stubborn, but also like he felt betrayed by them, and it started just playing like him not playing Reeves Shepherd and dealing him together last year. I mean, it's not something that people I think are going to remember for the rest of their lives, but like it's insane. It was quite literally just stubbornness because he knew that that's what everybody else thought he should do, and he wanted to do different to and he wanted to be able to win games. He's arrogant enough to think he could win without playing those guys together and be able to say, look, I told you so, all right, quick break will come back. A lot more to get into, including Louisville has one of the top transfers in the portal visiting as we speak, Kentucky's already landed a commitment in the portal. So I think there's a trend that I'm noticing here early on in the portal. And I'll talk about that next right here on SPORTSCOK seven ninety now.
Speaker 1: Back to coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So we haven't talked about it yet, but I promise we'll get to it in the four o'clock hour. Kevin Willard last night one of the more unusual things you'll see in college sports. And when I was watching Maryland get off to a good start, now they got they got to be pretty bad in the end, just because Florida' is that good. But something hit me that I think is a really obvious thing. But we're just not used to noticing it, if that makes sense. So maybe it's not that obvious, but we'll get to that in the four o'clock hour, because I don't think it was that surprising that they were able to have this distraction going on for really weeks and yet it not make a difference at all. I mean, they they were still I mean you would never know about watching Maryland that they had that going on with their coach behind the scenes. But anyways, we'll get at that later real quick to some updates when it comes to the transfer portal. So Louis as we speak, I mean, maybe he's left, maybe he's on his way. I don't know. But a visitor today for the Cards is one of the top transfers in the portal, and that is a six to five guard from Kennesaws State named Adrian Wooley. He averaged eighteen point eight points per game, shooting fifty one point two percent from the field forty two point two percent from three. He was again we're talking about a six five guard conference USA Rookie of the Year. He is he is, I mean he's I didn't know, is this new. I don't know if you've seen this before, but I guess this isn't I guess this is not new. I just haven't noticed it as much. But like they give you a noose, like in the portal, you can be a portal three and four or five star. Probably no, you know what I mean, Like, you can go to twenty four to seven Sports and look at you know, this young man coming out of high school, Adrian Wooley. He is from Cottondale, Alabama. In high school, he was a three star recruit, ranked as the three hundred and eighth guy. But now in the portal he's a five star. So you know, that doesn't really mean a whole lot to me, but whatever, you know, regardless of how you want to look at it, he's a guy that a lot of schools want and Louisville is hosting him. So maybe this could be because I think this stuff's gonna play out pretty quick. I really do. Like I think you get an early visit, you have a good sales pitch, and your money is where they want it. Meeting the players, then I think commitment. In fact, in the last twenty four hours there have been some commitments that rolled in. So we'll talk a little more about Woolley a little later on. But again, six or five combo guard really good score. I mean kennessas State. I don't think they were very good last year, but wasn't because of this guy. Kentucky's already by the Way landed a commitment in the portal Tulane. I can't think of the young man's name he pulled up here. I'd not heard of him. But again that doesn't mean he was. Mean, there's a lot of players that hit the portal that you get super excited about, but a week before you know they commit, you'd never heard of them. Because it's just I mean, that is one of the things that I'm curious if that'll change over time, meaning because this is gonna be how teams really reload. I mean, you're not gonna build rosters from scratch like Louisville and Kentucky did this past year. But when it comes to like, the most important thing in the off season for you is gonna be what you do in the portal. I mean, no matter who you are, that is going to be the most important component to going from one season to the other is how you handle the portal. And with that, over time, will people keep up with the lower level because that's gonna be the minor leagues now. I mean it just is right like you're gonna watch, like when you play one of these teams. If Kennesaw State was here in November playing Louisville and this young man put up thirty on us. You remember that, and you're gonna think to yourself, that guy's probably gonna hit the portal, because nowadays it's more of a surprise if somebody like this stays at those schools, because again, if they do stay and pass up on the chance to hit the portal, go make a ton of money and play at a higher level, all that is is just a gift to that school. I mean, it's just doing them a favor and that let's I checked. Like, you know, most people don't do that, right. So again, the transfer for Kentucky is a young man named Cam Williams. So he's a six to eight shooter and uh average, I think just about double figures last year at TWU lane. Yeah, nine point three points four point five rebounds. So two things about both these guys, I don't know what their offers were coming out of high school. I can look into it, and I'm going to because I'm curious. But these guys like they might have been legitimately good freshmen, and you know, as far as they work at freshmen, I mean they might have been Let's go. What I mean is like as recruits, like they might have had some options coming out of high school, but they chose to go to Tulane or Kinnessas State because like they knew that they would play right away. And now here they are getting rerecruited. And this kid who picked Kentucky, I mean, he's going to Kentucky. For crying out loud, that's a pretty big time program probably, you know, as they say, one of those dreams for him. But after a year at Tulane, he hits the portal, he's here and he's going to Kentucky. But Florida was calling Louisville, Texas, Baylor, LSU, Texas Tech, Arkansas USC. So if you're a high school kid and you're like a three star, I mean, you never know how it's going to play out for you. But if you really do believe in yourself and you want to play and you value you know, a role, an opportunity, I just think this is going to be the new path for those guys, unless, of course, you know you are a top ten overall player, top twenty, because that's different. All right, quick break, we'll come back. Two more hours left. Stick around. It's coffee and company. We are fuel about Thornton's right here in Sports Talk seven ninety