Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue Insider. It's a Friday. We wrap up the week heading into another Kentucky football Saturday. It's the Wildcats and the Ohio Bobcats tomorrow at twelve forty five. Kickoff is at ten pregame at ten thirty with Christy Thomas, Jeremy Jarmin, Logan Stenberg, than Tom Lee, Jeppiicor and me with all the action Kentucky and Ohio's the Cats go for their second win of the year, kind of a get right game. We'll hear from Tom and Jeff a little bit later on an excerpt from the Wildcat Whip. It's out there right now on social media via my Facebook page and Tom's Facebook page as well as I believe it's. Yeah, it's already up on Twitter on the UK Sports Network site. So you want to get the insights from Tom and Jeff and yours truly, and you will hear on the local version on the Facebook version, the fact that we're at the south of Wrigley, and we'll tell you more about that a little bit later on when we play the excerpt from the Wildcat Whip. Well else you gonna hear from Marxtoops coming up in our next segment as he met with the media yesterday and wrapped up the week's practice, his team getting ready to take on another form of cat So you'll hear it right here and see it on the SEC network. Last Night's a big story, and really right now, the big story. Even if you're not a baseball fan per se, and you know what, you probably were back in the day and baseball just kind of got away from everybody. But and that's understandable. But what a story right now in baseball about Shohio Tani. And it is very cool when you see history right before your eyes. He became the first player to join the fifty to fifty club fifty home runs and fifty stolen bases. Did it last night against the Miami Marlins, and he did it in style. Man, did he ever do it in style with maybe the greatest single performance in a game ever. Three home runs plus three more base sits, so a total of six couple of doubles in a single miss missed the triple for the cycle, you know, yawned, But he also drove in ten runs, stole a couple of bases and what was it a twenty to three, twenty to four wins something like that, and not only do they win the game, but they clinch a spot in the playoffs. But it's been incredible keeping an eye on this. And of course he plays on the West Coast, so it's kind of hard to watch him much unless you want to stay up late. But an incredible performance. Last night. Joe Davis had the TV call for Dodger Television and he did it justice on home run number three, home run number fifty on a one to two time.
Speaker 2: Who is a Chime her?
Speaker 3: Who a Charing Season show? He ti he starts the Fifth Stay, Fifth Stay.
Speaker 4: Tr and again that is Joe Davis on the Dodgers TV and he did what good play by play guys do.
Speaker 1: He shut up what we call layout and just let the pictures take over. On radio, you gotta paint the word picture. But here's a guy who had plenty of camera angles and all kinds of great video shots of show high hugging his players, hugging his coaches, and the fans in Miami. This was in Miami. Now gave him quite an ovation. So he comes out, of course and acknowledges the fans. But Shohi Otani not only has he proven to be one of and some say the greatest player in the history of the game. I love the debate because you cannot come up with a definitive answer when you talk about stuff like this, simply because you just can't argue generations. But it's fun to talk about and think about the argument who's better Show Hi or Babe Ruth because they were both two way players, you know, and Show I, of course lately hasn't been pitching, but obviously Babe Bruce stopped pitching at a certain point. It became the greatest offensive player in the history game up until more modern times. But one of the more compelling parts of this story to me, and one of the funniest parts, is the cold takes from back when show I first signed with the Dodgers, because so many people wanted to get out ahead of that, People in my line of work and you know, sound like experts and talk about just how terrible the move. It was all the money they pay him to bring him in and all that when the Angels signed him, and then when the Dodgers signed him away. Mike Francessa, who was such a well known radio sports talk show host in New York, his take simply was the Yankees are lucky they didn't get Otani right. A major league scout when Otani first got here said he wouldn't be able to hit big league pitching, and his quote was, He's basically like a high school hitter. Yeah. Yeah. Keith Olberman, mocking the fact that Otani was a two way player, tweeted, because that Christian Bethencourt thing worked out so well, Otani will be a pinch hitting pitcher by mid season. This is after Richard Justice, who was a great baseball beat writer from MLB dot com, had written at a lot of mlbgms he said, think we could have more two way players, probably in super utility role. So, of course, Olberman, being and mister baseball expert man, brings up Christian Bethencourt, who was and still is a mediocre player. He is a backup catcher with the Cubs, and by the way, he should be respected because his middle name is Gabriel. But his lifetime average is like two thirty. I think this season in a backup real he's hitting two four or something like that. But yeah, you judge all two way players by Christian Bethencourt. Come on, but there were so many bad takes on this. One person on a podcast back then simply said, I think he is one of the most overrated players in the history of professional sports in America. A guy named John Schaefer said that, and not only is that a horrible take when it comes to baseball, but all of professional sports. But remember now, the biggest expert, and I'm saying this sarcastically, Bill James, the guy, according to The Simpsons, who's made watching baseball as fun as doing your taxes. You know, James breaks everything down to stats. And he tweeted this. He said, and this is back in twenty nineteen, said, remember how a year ago everybody was all excited about Shohio Tani being the next Babe Ruth. That was fun. Of course I'm adding the tone, but that's how it was presented. Cold takes are tremendous. They're so hilarious and they'll come back and haunt you. But that's the price you pay of having to have or thinking you need, an instant take. I've never been one of those people, but maybe maybe I'm not smart enough to have instant takes like that. I recognize a good take when I hear one, though, and this kind of falls in line with the way I feel about Bryce Young being benched in Carolina, And I don't follow that team enough to know about how much is his fault, how much is the team's fault. People who followed the team seem to lean toward it being a horrible franchise run horribly, and Bryce S Young is taking a majority of the blame. He of course, was the number one draft pick last year out of Alabama. He won everything, won the Heisman, won everything, and was a guy who was a question mark I thought going into the draft because of his size. He's listed at five to ten, so you know he's not five to ten, listed at two o five, so you know he didn't weigh two o five at least when they did all the measuring. But he is surrounded by mediocrity top to bottom on that roster, and he's won two games in eighteen starts, and he took a lot of the blame. And Shannon Sharp on a podcast was talking to Chad Ocho Cinco Chad Johnson, the former Bengals outstanding and outspoken wide receiver, and Sharp you can hear him reading the tail end of Bryce Young's comments and he basically said you know I had an opportunity. I didn't make the most of it. I'm doing what's best for the team. All that stuff, you know, taking taking the hit as good leaders do, is do quarterbacks good quarterbacks do. And then Chad Johnson jumps in with his reaction, showing why he'll never be a network analyst because I have bleeped everything I could, but he is. I think right on the money here. This is first chan and Sharp and then Chad Ocho Cinco Johnson.
Speaker 3: For the most part, every snap it hit my hand. I didn't do enough with it at the end of the day, and I don't hit that shit.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: It's okay.
Speaker 3: I know you're the quarterback.
Speaker 5: You're the most important You're the most important player and most important position on the field because you touched the ball every play. But come on, man, you listen. You have to say the right thing. Bryce Young is saying all the right thing because he's in a position where he has to. You went to a dumpter fires the reason they were the team to pick and had the first pick in the draft.
Speaker 3: Anybody can see it.
Speaker 5: Your family gonna tell you the truth, your friends are gonna tell the truth.
Speaker 3: I'm tell you the truth.
Speaker 6: It ain't you.
Speaker 3: Ain't nothing wrong with you. Some listen, Ojo, you know, listen, find.
Speaker 5: Me somebody at the Old Testament, find me somebody at the New Testament that can come play for the Panthers and make a difference. Nobody, boy, Jesus himself will come down here. And Sam was even waring, ain't nothing changing.
Speaker 1: Unk is bad.
Speaker 5: When Sam Donna was there, was there, they said it was Sam donald fault. When Baker Mayfield was there, they said it when Baker Mayfield's fault. Rich Young is there, they said, it's Bright Young's fault. Sam Donald and Baker Minfield are off to historic starts.
Speaker 1: Again, he's not wrong, although historic is kind of hyperbole, but both quarterbacks off the two and oh starts with Baker Mayfield down in Tampa and Sam Donald in Minnesota, which of course had lost Kirk Cousins. And they bring in Sam Donald almost like a placeholder. They thought, I guess, you know, yeah, we'll use this guy until we can get a better quarterback. At least that's what a lot of the fans thought. And now the Vikes are two and oh. Nobody expected that. Nobody expected Baker Mayfield to do what he did, especially after he washed out with the Panthers and bounced around. But he caught new life with the Rams. You might recall this, and after signing early in the week with the Rams, he started a game and played extremely well, and you skip ahead, he ends up signing one hundred million dollar contract. This was after he did okay with the Browns, but they got rid of him, and then, as I said, bounced here and there and washed out, and now he's got a new life in his contract. It depends on where you are and what that team is doing, no question about that. While we're on quarterbacks, last night, Aaron Rodgers and the Jets, you might have seen this on Amazon Prime beat a bad Patriots team and everybody's going nuts over Aaron Rodgers. Why not in New York because this was the home opener for the Jets, And remember what happened last year at the home opener. After all that hype, he blows his ankle, blows his achilles after four plays last night, twenty seven to thirty five, two touchdowns, and the fans were chanting his name in the third quarter. That's all well and good, that's fine, that's fun. Remember the Patriots are probably the worst team in the legue. How they beat the Bengals is beyond me. But what came out of that at an interesting sidebar out of that game was the video of Robert Sala, the coach, going in for a hug as Rogers comes off the field and Rogers puts his hands in his chest and shoves him away. Both of them laughed it off after the game and they both said that was just something we do or something like that, but it was really interesting video. Up next, Mark Stoops. Well, I'll say here from Dermanti Dawson, who will open a broadcast tomorrow. Ryan Black of the Courier Journal joins us here in the garage, and our number two here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Moon Sider. Coming up a little bit later on here in the first hour, Dermani Dawson will join us. The NFL Hall of Famer and former Wildcat offensive lineman will tell us what he has seen in Kentucky this season. Our number two, Ryan Black at the Courier Journal, will join us here in the garage. He is the beat writer covers the Wildcats football and basketball. Before we hear from Mark Stoops, reminder that last night the soccer team, the women's soccer team played to a draw against Florida. The Wildcats a rank number twenty going into the game. They were eight to zero Florida. I guess I don't know enough about soccer to come at except that Florida must play a really defensive style because the Gators are three to one and five, and people like to say they play not to lose. Well, I don't know if Florida plays not to lose in women's soccer, but five draws in nine games, including last night, was nothing. Nothing. Kentucky outshot Florida seven to two with just a single shot on goal, and the Gators apparently have really good defense. But Kentucky still undefeated this season. Club Blue with an announcement Name, Image and Likeness partner of UK Athletics hosting the reimagined A Blue White preseason event. They're calling it presented by the Harrodsburg Tourism Commission that will be on Friday, October eighteenth at Historic Memorial Coliseum. They're not presenting it that way, with a capital H, kind of like that. Historic Memorial Coliseum. Tickets on sale today exclusively through Ticketmaster the event managed by Club Blue. That's why tickets are not available through the UK ticket office, so there may be still some available, but get online or call ticket Master if you want a ticket to the Blue White preseason event coming up Friday, October eighteen, Kentucky, O, How are you tomorrow? Mark Stoops met with the media one last time yesterday to talk about his team, and it was an interesting comment he made about the fact that obviously they're looking for improvement between weeks one and three the USM game, the opener and the Georgia loss, and he asked his team about what they saw when it came to improvement, and he talked about the improvement he has seen in his ball club over the first three weeks.
Speaker 7: I was proud of the growth, you know, because you know, when you know, when you play the way we played in Certain Williams and again you have to go back and credit the team we played, you know, not taking anything away from them, it's just you know, we we have had pride in this program and and you know, I think you know, I just asked them, asked our team what the difference was, you know what I mean? And you know what what you know who's going to show up here this week? And I believe in them, and we've had a good week, so we have to just go put it on the field and we have to go play. I think the most important thing that we can't ever lose sight of is just you know, getting better.
Speaker 1: As we all know, the Ohio Bobcats are a good team, ten wins in back to back seasons, but they're not a quote unquote name brand. They're not an SEC team obviously, So is this Kentucky team going to be focused enough and just hungry enough to get that win when they really need a bounce back game?
Speaker 7: You know, hopefully we're staying in the mindset of doing the right things to get better, you know, for to be a better football player, a better team. And yeah, it's important to win. I mean they ply they train all year, you know, to to to compete to win, so you know, but you know, the results will be the results if we do everything we can, you know, and work as hard as we can and have a good plan and you know, play as hard as we can and all those things, you know, So that's what we're looking for.
Speaker 1: That's really all they can look for because if they do the right thing. That means they will play the way they played against the Bulldogs. They'll come out mentally ready. Obviously they're physically ready. They have practiced well this week, Stoop said. But it's all about focus. They were not focused against South Carolina. They were laser focused against Georgia. They had a great game plan. Yes it was conservative, but that's how you just got to stay close and again, playing not to lose. People like to throw that around, well against Georgia a team like that, if you're trying to pull off an upset, you play not to lose. You play to keep it tight and then at the end maybe you have a chance to take a shot. And it didn't work out for the Wildcats last week, but they should handle their business tomorrow. But it's not going to be as easy as a lot of people think. I believe. We'll be on the air with it at ten thirty am. Dermini Dawson will open our broadcast. We'll hear from him coming up a little bit later on the Big Moon Siders six thirty WLAP Welcome Back coming up in just a couple of minutes, we'll hear from Dermani Dawson. We'll open our broadcast tomorrow, and I had a chance to interview him as well about the Wildcats. He of course is the Pro Football Hall of Famer Hall Conference performer at Kentucky at guard, he didn't move to center until he got to the Pittsburgh Steelers and then of course had a legendary literally a legendary career in the NFL, but also played in the Kentucky Ohio game where the Wildcats beat the Bobcats for the very first time. That was back in the mid eighties. So we'll hear from DERMANI opening our broadcast tomorrow, but you'll also hear from him coming up in our next segment as he talks about Cats versus Cats. Shameless plug for the Wildcat Whip As I mentioned earlier, it's out on my Facebook page, Tom Leech's Facebook page, you can hear it through the UK Sports Network Twitter app, and it's just Tom and Jeff and me opening the broadcast like a day early. We have the whip around on game day, which lasts about two and a half minutes, so we thought we'd get together during the week and share more of an expanded version of the Whip Around. So we meet at South of Wrigly on Southland Drive. It's a great place to get a Chicago style hot dogs. So many different kinds of hot dogs and sausages, and a great chicken palm, sandwiches and sides. It is truly a slice of Chicago on Southland Drive. And so we get together there to talk about Kentucky football, the past game and the game coming up. And here's a little taste from south of Wrigley on the Wildcat Whip. Guys, this is the real thing, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 8: It's a fantastic couple of a guy or maybe a couple of I'm sure the full story move back here from Chicago, but created this kind of Chicago themed place. And so you get like, yeah, I've been to Wrigley Field. You get like the sausage with the peppers and the onions, well you can get that here. Or Chicago hot dogs, you know, Chili dogs, Italian beef.
Speaker 1: You made a lot of trips working with the Reds wrily how legit is this place? In your opinion?
Speaker 9: This is just like a joint that you'd see in Wrigleyville. I mean it's it's just like anything you see on a corner. It's small, it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, it reminds you of you.
Speaker 9: I mean, it's it's hot in the air, but it's exactly like you would think it would be in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Did you when you were working games, they always feed the media. Yeah, various and sundry ways. Is this what they fed you at Wrigly? Did you have this option?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 9: They actually had more like dinner actually wasn't bad. They had a salad bar and they had you know, and they feed you real food and stuff.
Speaker 2: Wriggly was one of the better spots.
Speaker 1: We'll have to do the food review. Get into road.
Speaker 9: Get the worst broadcast in all of baseball, no doubt. But other than that, it was was great.
Speaker 1: Let us get down to it. It's Kentucky and Ohio. You after that Georgia game. The biggest question will be and Jeff, I'll start with you, since you claim to have played at Kentucky. Although I did see the team photo at Bill Ransdell's new spot, two fisted Williams hand hand Deidra and that you're eighty fourteen pictures up there. Pointed it out to my wife, said, look at number thirty six there. It doesn't even look like him. I'll say, well that was a while back.
Speaker 9: Actually that's the eighty five team, because the eighty four they will not let that picture out.
Speaker 1: It was just like Bob Gibson place scrapped it, yes, yes, or or Larry Zaker was Larry Zonker, Jim kick.
Speaker 9: Frank k this was Frank Harry Camp Jacob, my gosh, we're number one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So you will not let that out. You couldn't air brush it back, so you could do it now about there anyway, Jeff, how tough will the beef for these guys? And has it been this week for these guys? You gotta at least try to match that intensity in motion, the focus that they surely had against Georgia.
Speaker 9: I think the biggest thing it does is shows you can play with anybody. I think that the South Carolina game, they just kind of threw their helmets on the field and said we're Kentucky, we're at home, We're gonna kick your butt.
Speaker 2: And they didn't.
Speaker 9: You have to bring it every week. It showed them they can play with the best. I think this is a you can always say, get well game, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 9: It's gonna be a tough game, but if they bring the same enthusiasm and respect for the other teams they did last week, I think this team should win.
Speaker 1: Jeff Pcorro, Tom Leach and you're truly at South of Wrigley and can hear the entire Wildcat whip as I said my Facebook page Tom Leach as well and on the UK Sports Network Twitter app. Before I bring up Dermani Dawson, here's another shameless plug in. This one is from Marshall head coach Charles Huff. They're playing Ohio State and he, of course this team is completely out maned for the most part in this game, so he makes a shameless plug trying to pull some all Half State people through the portal via an nil deal, trying to get him to transfer to Marshall at the last minute. This was pretty funny.
Speaker 6: I'd love to have some of those guys from Ohio State too, so if they want to transfer on down, We've got a Tutor. Yeah, Tutor's biscuit nil all you can eat. So if any of those guys that run really really fast at Ohio State like Tutor's biscuits, I promise you all you can eat all day if you transfer here.
Speaker 1: So but yeah, I'd be curious to hear if anybody takes him up on that. But hey, good, good for you. Kudos to you. Tampering, Sure it is, but in this nil age, you gotta do what you can and shoot your best shot. Charles Huff of Marshall making a literally last minute plea for help from anybody on the Buckeyes roster who would like to transfer to the Thundering Herd up Now, Hall of Famer DERMANI Dawson, who will open our broadcast tomorrow, talks about this year's Kentucky Wildcats. That's next year on the Big Mowinsider six point thirty wlap against the Bobcats, who came in here in four and upset Rich Brooks's second the Kentucky team on homecoming night. It was just a bad night all around, except for if you're a Kentucky fan, except for the Ohio band, which performed at halftime. They had one of those wacky kinds of performing bands and they were outstanding. But the game was terrible from the Kentucky side. They played in throwback uniforms which we have never seen again. I would think they burned them after that game. The one thing to remember about that night is it underscored the fact that Rich Brooks was still having some trouble getting some of his veteran players to kind of come over and give themselves over and buy in to what he was doing, because the players had been shocked when Guy Morris left and Brooks came in had a different way to doing things. Not the guy was doing anything the wrong way. Of course, he was successful seven wins the year that the second season that he was the head coach at Kentucky, but Brooks just had some bad actors on that team. Most coaches have to deal with it one year. Brooks had to deal with it for two seasons. But once they all moved on, or at least a majority moved on, he was able to get things going in the right direction. But that night was right up there, I think with that LSU loss down in Baton Rouge at forty seven or forty nine to nothing, shell acking because this was against an inferior team at home, OHIOU. But the LSU game happened in six when things should have been going a lot better, and ultimately they did, so those were really there are two low points in the Rich Brooks era. Those were the games, but we all know that it ended on an uplift with rich Brooks, and that's why he opened our broadcast against Georgia because his teams beat Georgia a couple times. So Dermanti Dawson will get things rolling tomorrow ten thirty when we sign on and again just before Playboy play and I had a chance to chat with Dermani when we were done recording the open for tomorrow's game and ask him some questions about the Wildcats. Well, what do you think about what you've seen so far?
Speaker 3: You know, I mean overall, you know, they they played very well against Southern Miss. You know, had a few turnovers, you know, and and you know it's I don't know, it's just so far. I like what I see. You know, if they hadn't been very consistent on offense, you know the quarterback, you know, he's been struggling a little bit. I know he's a great runner, but you know as far as accuracy on passing, uh, it's it's been hit or miss.
Speaker 1: Would your agree he needs a little more a little more time in the pocket.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, yeah, maybe a little bit more time, you know. So he can make his reads. But but you know, he seems to have a pretty strong arm. And I understand that he came from the University of Georgia as well. Huh yeah, yeah, yeah. So I'm hoping that, you know, those guys are I hope that he gets settled and the offensive coordinator, you know, tries to get him warmed up first before you know, he tries to you know, make the big passes, but he wants to make the you know, he wants to go downfield. Plus he's got leggs, he's he's he's got the feet, you know, to to make plays. But he's just got to be more consistent.
Speaker 1: They've had so much turnover and and churn on the coaching staff, especially at at O coordinator and offensive line coach, and you as well as anybody knows. Yeah, you know, to build an offensive line where you've got five guys plus the backups working as one, you know, you've really got to have connuity, don't you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, connuity is key, you know to offensive line play. You know, that's that's the key to a success. But then then and then again also you know, play calling is going to be key as well, So you gotta you know, play with the talent that you have. Uh, you know, if they're better run blockers than past blockers, you know, then you got to run the ball. But then again you got to step up. You got to pass the ball as well, and they have to be able to protect the quarterback. You know. So it's twofold, you know, but you know, hopefully they do much better this game.
Speaker 1: Did you prefer one over the other? Run block or past block?
Speaker 3: I enjoyed both. I enjoyed run blocking and pass blocking. I didn't mind either. One.
Speaker 1: Jeff fan Node used to tell us he liked run blocking because it's harder to block when you're moving backwards. Yeah, I can't understand.
Speaker 3: Well, hey, hey, that's that's the true true statement, you know, but that Jeff stated. But I mean I really enjoyed pass blocking and run blocking. I didn't. I didn't prefer either over the other, you know, but I enjoyed run blocking and pass blocking.
Speaker 1: This team blocked so well against Georgia, which is a pretty fair team minus the sack yard? Is they they rushed for more than two hundred yards and against struggle to pass block? Is that something I don't know? You're not there every day and you you know, you haven't studied these guys. But if they can pass our run block, is there hope for past blocking, do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's hope for pass blocking. Yeah. You know, they did an excellent job, you'd a run blocking against Georgia, but they did struggle a little bit and got pressure, you know, from the outside more than the inside. But they they got some some pretty good players on Georgia's team, you know, some top prospects and you know, very good players. But you know it's they did a great job against running the ball, but you know, past past, past offense. They struggled a little bit on the protection side. So yeah, you just you just never know. Oh you hear my dogs?
Speaker 1: I do? Yeah, okay, that's fine. Yeah, we enjoyed dogs. How how has the SEC changed your Mindy? Clearly there are more teams now. But since you played, uh.
Speaker 3: You know, with the rule changes, you know, everything has changed in the NFL, you know, collegiate football. All the rule changes have made it kind of difficult for players that really be physical. And I know it's for the safety of the player because you really have to think when you're on the field about you know, your next step. Am I going to hit them this way? I'm going to hit them that way? And I think it takes away some of the physicality of the the game. But yeah, I'm really not for sure how it's changed, you know, since I played. I just know that the rule changes had really kind of you know, made a big difference in in the calls with the refs and everything else. So it's kind of changed the game that way well.
Speaker 1: And the rules have been changed to encourage more passing, both in a pro game and.
Speaker 3: Game because you know, it's an entertainment sport. So they wont high scoring games because that's what brings in the crowds. You know, they wanted, they wanted, they want high scoring games.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean back when I was in school, and then when you came along, I mean a game that was seventeen fourteen or something like that, no one would have said anything. No, they would have called that boring.
Speaker 3: No, I know. You know, even when I was with the Steelers in eighty eight, same thing. You know, we ran the ball all the time. Yeah, I mean, you mix it up, you know, pass and run, but you know it was basically a run offense. That's how you control the offense in the clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well Kentucky, of course, now the expectations are so much bigger. I know you don't live in Lexing, but I know you get back and keep in touch. But Kentucky came up back to back seven wins seasons bowl games, and I know there are more balls now than when you played. But people are getting restless here, you know. And and when you were growing up and back in the day, you know, six or seven wins was something to celebrate. But that's all change now, hasn't it.
Speaker 3: It has. Yeah, everybody wants to go to the bowl game each and every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the big one.
Speaker 3: But that's the name of the game now, Yeah, go to bowl games.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do you like where college football is now? With the playoff and the coaches that are making insane money and the portal and the nil and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: It's well, you know, I mean the nil and all that stuff. I mean, I really don't understand it to date, the truth and the transport portal and you know, it's just so many different things, you know, And it's tough because if a player wants to go to another university, you know, they're not penalized for it. You know, it just can change the whole complexity of football itself and at collegiate athletics. So yeah, I don't know if it's good or bad. It's going to take some time to determine that.
Speaker 1: Well, there's freedom for the players, which they haven't had. But coaches also talk about how kids who run into a little bit of adversity they leave, you know, whereas the college athletics is right for stories about kids who were successful because they stuck it out. So you know that's a tough call.
Speaker 3: Well, hey, Dick, you know from my situation when I was a UK you know, I didn't start until I was a junior. I know, and if they had to transfer transfer a portal, you know, I don't think I would have went anywhere. I would have stayed right in the UK because I was happy in UK. Yeah, but you know, everybody wants instant gratification, you know, athletes, I don't care what sport. Yeah, and uh, you know, if they're disgruntled or they don't like a coach, they go somewhere else. But you know the thing is that doesn't teach you real life lessons.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't. Know, Although people always like to point out, well, coaches can leave whenever, and I'm like, yeah, they're they're they're paid professionals. But on the other hand, we always hated Dermani these coaches who would recruit a whole class of kids and then leave, you know, assuring mom and dad, I'm going to be there for your son. Next thing, you know, they're packing their bags.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not good. Yeah, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: That's so there's there's obviously still going to happen, but now kids can move as well. A couple more minutes with Dermani. Dawson, Uh, the former Kentucky Wackett. Although once a while cat always a wildcat. What do you think of what you've seen though? In the program? Mark Stoops is built.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, coach Steps has done a great job. Phenomenal job, you know, because those guys have been winning and and you know, just the program has really stepped up, you know, facilities, Uh, you know, the recruits we're receiving, we're getting that, the recruiting. You know, it's really it's really made our program. You know that people talk about it now, you know, because at one point, you know, we weren't considered a football school. It was all basketball. Uh, you know, but now we're considered a football school. So coach stupid Stups has done a great job. You know, as far as bringing attention to the University of Kentucky football program.
Speaker 1: It's it's absolutely relevant now and the sec really is. Yeah, it's not the automatic win that people circle on the schedule like it was now and then not every year now. Yeah. Uh. Can I assume you you keep up with your beloved Steelers?
Speaker 3: Uh I do? Yeah, yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: And uh, I got to think you're a Mike Common fan. He seems like you're kind of guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Coach is a good guy. He is a great guy. And I love him as a coach because he seems to be a players coach. Yeah, you know, he doesn't. He doesn't coach one style or he doesn't have one personality when it comes to dealing with the players, you know, because you got to have a multi personality person to coach players. Now, you know, he's got to be able to relate to everybody. And I just I just love the way he coaches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a little bit of a quarterback controversy there. I mean that's not always a good thing, but at least you've got some guys to choose from, right.
Speaker 3: Well, that's true. Yeah, I think Fields. You know, he can he can beat you with his feet. I love him because he can run. He reminds me of Cordial Stewart. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I played with Slash and he reminds me of Cordial Stewart. A bunch.
Speaker 1: Well, Russell Wilson used to be able to beat you with his feet. But yeah, yeah, and getting up there in age though.
Speaker 3: But you know, do you know if he's going to be a controverte Have you heard anything about a controversy when Wilson comes back?
Speaker 1: Well, the last thing I saw was that Tomlins said Justin Fields deserves to keep the job, okay, And then there have been some lobbying from players and things like that. So I guess, you know, so far, so good. I guess they don't want to screw that up, right.
Speaker 3: No, if you have the continuity and you have the chemistry, you know that is most important. So I would suggest they just keep Fields in there for right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we are you gonna Are you gonna get back for any games this year? Do you know?
Speaker 3: You know I've had some surgery, so I've been in recovery mode, and so I just got cleared to put a shoe on. I had pins in my toes. I had my toes too, my toes fused. So now and I'm back, you know, with a shoe. I'm going to be traveling in November, but I'm not for sure if I'm going to be coming home this year.
Speaker 1: You still have family in the election, and do you know I do you have?
Speaker 3: My mom? And dad is great? Yeah, I hope there.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh, I assume they're still Wildcat fans.
Speaker 3: They are always they.
Speaker 1: Always in forever. Yes, your money, I sure appreciate it, and we're looking forward to hearing you open our broadcast on Saturday. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, dig thanks for having me on the show.
Speaker 1: That's DERMANI Dawson and coming up next. Ryan Black, the Courier Journal beat writer who covers the Wildcats, joins us right here in the garage on the Big Blue Sider six point thirty w l a P. Welcome back to the Big Blue Sider. I remember two of our program as we wrap up the week the other day, Ryan Black, who's the beat writer for the Courier Journal covering the Wildcats, said to me, and more than one person said this, when do I get to come to the garage? I said, hey, you're welcome anytime. So he popped in yesterday. Here's our conversation with Ryan, who came to Kentucky from East Lansting, Michigan, but he has worked and lived all over the place. Ryan Black, Welcome to the garage. It's a real place. Some people always think tell me that I didn't think it was really your garage, like they thought it was my man cave or whatever. I mean, you see the car, you see the washer dryer. It's a garage.
Speaker 2: It is, you know, And I'll be honest, Dick. The only reason I didn't maybe think it was a mirage or whatever it was, it because i'd seen photos, and I guess anyone could taken doctor photos these days. But I had thought it existed. But now that I can see it with my own eyes, I've touched things I can. I mean, I know that it is real.
Speaker 1: My wife is the official photographer of the Big Blue Insider, and so when she does take the pictures, you can see behind me, we've got a little set of shelves and I can hang up jerseys and all but yeah, we dress it up a little bit, but it is truly the garage and we appreciate you keep been on a show many times. But before we dive into this Kentucky football team and talk a little basketballer as well, tell everybody where you grew up, where you're originally from, and why you jumped into this crazy business.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Dick, I grew up in a military family, so I've moved around a lot. I mean I would tell people that I'm from Georgia. That's where I graduated high school, and I graduated from University of Georgia. But I've lived in South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Japan, Virginia, Alabama, Kansas, now Kentucky, and also Michigan.
Speaker 1: What branch Navy Navy. No, yes, I have been to all those places, including Japan. Awesome, which is fascinating, isn't it. What stage your life for you? In Japan?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I'm on enough to remember it. We moved there when I was in the middle of first grade and moved away when there was one month left in third grade, so I came back to Georgia. In the States, people are like, whoa, who is this moving here with month left? In school and then so we were there and that's where my that's where I graduate high school, and that's where my family's originally from. So that's why we moved back to that.
Speaker 1: So do you have any yearning to go back to Have you been back? I have not.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, No, I have so much yearning to go back, Dick, mainly because okay, yes, you know, we went to the Tokyo Tower, went to Tokyo Disneyland, did a few things, but I was a kid, you know, I was out, you know, jumping on the bullet trains and going here, there and yonder. So yeah, it is one of my definite bucket list things. I'd love to go to Osaka. I'd love to go to Hakkaido. I mean they're just naming, you know, named all the places you can think of. I would love to go back.
Speaker 1: I've been twice Tokyo. The only other side trip I made was Nico, which is where I don't know if you remember this, the huge forest of cedars. Oh yeah, and it's it's a national treasure because it's one of the few things in Japan of its kind that wasn't destroyed by the war or by the Great Fire of nineteen twenty three, which I know you know of U, Yes, if you've lived there, Yep, there was an earthquake in nineteen twenty three for those of you, And because most of those homes are made of wood and paper, and the earthquake happened at lunch time when everybody was home making lunch over open fires, and the whole city went up in flames. And so anybody who spent any time lived or visited Tokyo they've heard about.
Speaker 2: Of course, so well, and Dick, I'm scared. So were you there for for work?
Speaker 1: The first time I went, I was there to work a football game, believe it or not. Back in the day, there used to be American football games there once a year was which used to be the Mirage Bowl. Barage was a brand of car, and you're a car guy, I love this. When they released the new car lines in the early eighties, late seventies, there were parties, parades, marching bands, things like that, and the Japanese people love American marching bands. And there was a gentleman who was here in the States and saw I think it was either the Grambling or the Southern U Marching band. You know, very entertaining, and the guy said, you must come and be in our parades plural on New car Week. Basically when is it, Well it's in September October. Well we have a football game that day. Well bring your team and they said, well, of course we're playing against another team. There's another school involved. Bring them to So they paid to fly both teams, marching bands, cheerleaders, dance teams which they adored, and they all performed multiple times that week. And so I think the year I went was the third or fourth year. I was working for the old Southwest Conference network and Houston played SMU at the old Stadium, the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo where they had the sixty four Olympics, and I was the producer engineer for the game because they were too cheap to send two people, so they send me because they knew I could do both. Yeah, but it was a great experience. And then I went back some years later back in ninety four with our karate club went to China and about a half a dozen of us in away home stopped in Japan for three or four days. So yeah, we just it's it's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and uh Marley telling me about those games was, you know when I covered Kansas State, they had played a game there against Nebraska. I'm trying remember what year the other one that.
Speaker 1: You didn't get to go? No, oh no, well prior to you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this was way, this was way. This was early. I think early Snyder got Bill Snyder there, I think maybe ninety one one. And then I know because I saw this great series that the Wisconsin State Journal did last year. On the very first Rose Bowl that they went to under Barry Alvarez, they played a game there. I think that was maybe the very last co Colt Classic. Yeah, it was called.
Speaker 1: What's so great is the Japanese people They probably know more about it now, but back then they just they just were still learning the game. And so when you got to the game, you were given you know, your ticket was a different one of two colors, red or blue. If you're red, you're rooting for Houston. If you're blue, you're rooting for SMU. Over there, you said, over here, here's your pomp pom, And there were red pomp poms, and then there were gold and I said gold, where's the blue? And they said these are left over from wake forest and the scoreboard would tell people when to cheer, and one of the game organizers told me that they love long passes, complete or incomplete. I'm like what they said, because Japanese folks a little bit smaller than we are, can't throw a football very well. So when you see a big American throw a ball like that sixty yards in the air, they were amazed.
Speaker 2: So anytime, I know, we got to move on. But who were on the teams like at that time in terms who were the star play? I mean, I didn't know if this was like when.
Speaker 1: Lance mclanny was the quarterback for SMU. That was not right after the pony I was gonna Yeah, for the life of me, Houston wasn't very good. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: And this was in nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, yeah, before the death penalty for SMU. So anyway, uh so you've lived, yes, sir, And Georgia is a great journalism school, yes, sir. Is that why you went there or is that where you caught the bug? Well?
Speaker 2: To me, the biggest reason I went was in state tuition. But also, as you said, that mean it was like, why would I go out of state when I knew the history of the Georgia journalism program, you.
Speaker 1: Know, so you already had that plan.
Speaker 2: Oh I I've known that I wanted to go into doing what I'm doing, Dick, since I was like eleven, twelve years Wow here and all I've ever this is all I've ever done, you know, So it was pretty and like so yeah, it just in Athens is only about forty miles from where my parents live and where I graduate high school. So it was just it was a very not to say there are not other phenomenal journalism school across the country, because there definitely were, But it was an easy choice for me, just like you said, knowing the history and then in state tuition made it made it pretty well.
Speaker 1: A long time colleague, Sam Dick, who retired a few years ago as the lead anchor for wk YT Georgia grat you know, and uh, same as you just you know, love being there. Well.
Speaker 2: And that's the funny thing is that, you know, Georgia definitely has quite a distinguished writers, including myself joking there, but really they're more known for television because there's a reason they you know, the peabodies are handed out by University of Georgia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the stadium is right next to ye that building where Big Anta and all that. In the early days of our wireless technology and the radio, we used to have interference from that building every once in a while on game day. Having lived in all those places, and I'm sure you grew up an avid reader of sports and all this other stuff. Yes, sir, now you're covering UK obviously football now, but basketball. I mean I've I've talked to a lot of guys who have moved here and covered Kentucky basketball and learned so much about it, and they get swept into it. What's it been like for you?
Speaker 2: What you know, Dick? That was probably the biggest reason that I took this job because I was previously covering I was kind of like a sports enterprise feature reporter for the Lansing State Journal up in Lansing, Michigan. And when the Curve Journal approached me about covering Kentucky, I mean, it's like, how can you Again, that's like someone approach you to cover or the Yankees, or the Cowboys or or Notre Dame whoever you want. Means like Kentucky. And again, not that the football program has not become a very consistent winner under March suits. But definitely basketball is what you know, this program is known for. And so when you you know, when you know that you're gonna have a chance to cover that and and to see kind of, you know, can this program get to back to where they want it to be after you know, some some some rough kind of exits and instead of a tournament in recent years, it was just too good an opportunity to turn down. It's been it's been great. And you know, and Dick, I think towas before, but when I got to watch That's that great series that the SEC did on the history of basketball and the conference and seeing you on there, I mean that was that was great. That was great and I and I loved I mean, I thought you gave such great insight, and especially about the rough stuff, you know when they talk about adel Frupp and and just like oh, you know, was he was he a racist? Or what he could he have done more? And this that and the other. And I mean it's like I think any of those discussions, Dick, is it's so easy to talk now, you know, years and years at but it's like that's it's it's It's always easy to nitpick decades after the fact, but you know, you weren't living in that time and things, you know, things were different, oh exactly.
Speaker 1: And you know I was born towards the tail end of that time. But I do recall, you know, as I said, growing up, the big kids in the schoolyard were the ones who educated me on what I thought was what here in UK turned out for the most part wasn't true. But that's a topic for another night. We're talking to Ryan Black at a Courier Journal. We'll come back and talk Kentucky football with Ryan. He covers the beat for the CJ here on the Big Moe Sider six thirtys Welcome back. We're talking here in the garage liven in person on tape with Ryan Black at a Courier Journal, who, of course covers the football and basketball Wildcats. Ohio, you comes up Saturday afternoon. Be honest, now, I got to think you were like the rest of us going into that Georgia game. You wondered, was the twenty points spread too small based on what we saw from South Carolina? Or what did your folks in Georgia told you? What did you expect?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Dick, I believe my prediction for the game score wise actually was thirty seven to seventeen. And I know at least a few people are like, well, Ryan, we think that. Then they talk about people I know from the Georgia beat they definitely thought Kentucky would cover, mainly because of just like, go look at these scores here in Lexington over the years. Is yes, Georgia's won so many games in a row, but Kentucky more often than not plays them very very very very close here in Lexington. The other thing is too, I just kind of thought, you know, hey, the Kentucky had such a bad game the week before against South Carolina. They're gonna get up for this. They're gonna make it as competitive as you would think. Now. Granted, I don't think anyone maybe could have foreseen what we saw with being so close to upsetting Georgia, but I think my predictive of the game was thirty seven to seventeen. And I just know people are like, well, Ryan, we can see them covering, but man, scoring seventeen points on this Georgia defense, unless you get a pick six or a you know, a game changing kind of a special team's play which can touch exactly. It just seems unlikely given how well, because again Georgia still has not given up a touchdown this year.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: You know, they're one of two teams in the country. It has nothing to you know that one. Who is it Ole Miss? Now granted Old Miss is not played, you know, and it's not played a conference game yet, it has not played what George has played yet. But they're the only other team yet to give up a touchdown in the FBI.
Speaker 1: So is that game unfolded? What was going through your mind? Because the way it unfolded, I know you didn't write your lead at halftime. No, No, that was incredible.
Speaker 2: Well I think you know, Dick, if put this way, the longer that Kentucky led and at least stuck around, the more you kind of made yourself think, hey, they've they've got a chance. Because again I think with anything else, the longer you let an underdog linger, especially at home, that that's when things get really tense because all the pressure's on you is the favorite Kentucky's expected to lose. Dof they lose, they lose, but all the pressures on you as Georgia the number one team in the country. You've won fourteen games in a rogue's Kentucky forty one straight, you know, regular season games on and on on. All the pressure was on Georgia, and so like I certainly was thinking, you know, heck, George is gonna have to get something going to even win this game. And you know that they found right after halftime. But man, what a what a value and effort by Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Well to me, at halftime, it seemed clear that the Georgia coaching staff said we got to put the ball in Carson Beck's hands. And I thought he showed. And you know people try to damn him with the words game manager, go right ahead. That was a perfect example, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, And I think you know, I've cited this stat quite a few times Dick since since that game. But in terms of he started seventeen games now, you know, dating back to when he won the job last season at Jordan, that's his worst completion percentage in any kid sixty two point five percent. So that's the worst performance he's had is Georgia starting quarterback. And I know, I say, whatever you want, Dick. Moral victories and that and the other that there's something that Kentucky can take from that, you know. Now, of course, they just have to make sure they don't maybe start looking ahead to Ole Miss and take this Ohio club.
Speaker 1: Seriously, I don't think you take any joy or happiness away from it, but as a team, perhaps as a coaching staff, a fan base, uh maybe even media people because I was wondering what's it going to be like covering this team this year? I think you take relief away because after the South Carolina game, again, man, you know, is this gonna be one of those years? And I've covered a few of them where every game is like trudging uphill in army boots. I mean, and now there's reason to believe they can put some more wins together.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, Dick, I think it was the talk of the beat after the South Carolina game is like, okay, how does this team get to six wins?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And now it's like okay, well now, because it's just like the pendulum swinging back and forth, right, is that now it's like, okay, well that they should beat Ohio. They definitely will beat Murray State, all respect to Mercy, but now it's like, okay, I do see definitely Bandy, likely Florida as well. And then I'm still on the record, I think they'll beat Auburn personally.
Speaker 1: Auburn struts so but then again, Vandy jumped up and then won a game and its opener that nobody expected. But your colleague Mark's story when the Herald Leader the other night, he was saying he was wondering, can they keep that bull streak alive? That's a big deal, that bull streak, especially for those of us who've been here for a while who never thought we'd see something like that. So now it's much more plausible, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It isn't I think I'm glad that you brought it up, Dick, because I know people can say what they want to about bull streaks these days. I know when every team with a pulse mix a bowl. But you know what the only teams with the only teams with longer streaks in the SEC right now, active streaks or George and Alabama. I mean, that's some pretty elite company to find yourself in Kentucky football.
Speaker 1: You can schedule yourself a ball game, But then why hasn't everybody done it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know you still got to go and win. Yeah, So now, uh, you don't want to look past Ohio. You've been just basically looking at the rest of the schedule. People have talked about we talked about it on the network, about the team's identity, and I think clearly it's going to be it is defense and a strong running game at least right now.
Speaker 2: Right Yeah, well, I think it has to be. I mean, we just to this point have not yet really Again, granted, it would have been interesting if if the Southern Miss game had not been called, and maybe they get a few more drives for Vandergriff out there. You know, maybe he would have tossed two or three more touchdowns, you know, And so maybe we're sitting there looking at that he threw for three hundred yards and five touchdowns in his opener and you're like, whoa, but so but but now that they've played South Carolina played Georgia, Uh, at this point, we haven't seen enough from the passing game to to think that, okay, they can lean on that yet. Now I gotta say, you know, Dick, I think it's been the biggest revelation to me so far this season. I don't think I'm alone in this opinion. Uh, you know, Demi Sumacarnbay kind of came here known as this kind of shifty guy and can definitely get out in space and make people miss. And of course we saw last year they split him out wide so much. But now look at how often he's run between the tackles and got some really, really really tough yards. So moved it. And so I did not foresee that. If you'd ask me what he's even the running game, I wouldn't have said, well, the run between the tackles guy will be Demi Simacarnbay, because again we were expecting Chip train him to have already played by now. But I just think that that Dimmy Simcarbey is doing such a great job for himself because he's showing future teams and the pros like, hey, I'm not just a shifty guy like I can. I can toe the rock, so to speak, and do what I need to do if you need me to.
Speaker 1: I was given permission to go to the second scrimmage. I didn't ask about the first one, but I went to the second one. And obviously I can't. I couldn't talk about it on the air, sworn to secrecy all that stuff, but I can tell you now that Demi looked great getting off the edge, you know, but between the tackles, he didn't do a whole lot, which tells me now that that speaks highly of the Kentucky internal line interior defense compared to what he has done against both South Carolina and Georgia. I have to admit I'm totally stunned by that, because, as I said, he was dragging people. I went back and watched the Georgia game again on Wednesday, and he was dragging people along, wasn't he.
Speaker 2: Oh it's I mean, like I said it, it by far. Like I said, if you have my what's my biggest takeaway so far from the season. That was a surprise that that's been it for sure.
Speaker 1: What did you think of the early game plan? And do you think we'll see more of Vandergriff running the football? I mean the quarterback runs that they used early. Georgia eventually adjusted took it away, but Vandergriff I thought running getting to the edge was huge early.
Speaker 2: Well, well, Dick, I'm actually going to answer that question by asking you a question because I kind of got here. When I got here my first game that I covered Kentucky football was the Mississippi State game in twenty twenty two. Ok So this was the week after they'd lost to South Carolina. This is Will Levis coming back from that foot injury, right, But so the only you know, season I get to cover Levis he was hampered the rest of that season with his foot. Does Vandergriff look like what Levis did when Levis had no restriction? Yes, there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he really did.
Speaker 2: Same kind of size too, right, Yeah, very.
Speaker 1: Similar, very similar. So there maybe not quite the downfield arm strength. All Oh, we haven't. He hadn't had a chance to show it yet, But yeah, I mean you think back, you know, the first game you have to think about with Levis, and of course you weren't here was the Louisville game his first season when he scored four touchdowns and bulge somebody over leaped the linebacker. Truly superman, and you know, and they took that away from him. They ain't gonna take that away from Vandergriff, are they? No?
Speaker 2: And I think that's so that's why I brought that up there, because I just think, given what he's already shown with it, you've got to incorporate that into the offense. I just know, like with any team, you've just got to really be you've got to balance it right, Like, we don't want our art in quarterback continually taking these big hits and and and and you know, putting himself in too much danger. But at the same time you can't say, well, we can't use this at all because we've got to let him stay in the pocket. So it just has a delicate balance.
Speaker 1: That just hampered Levis under Scangarillo. And I got it, he said, you know, he kept talking about it. How many times were we there when he said NFL.
Speaker 2: Every press conference he ever he ever had, he said, invoked it at some point. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and I get it. You don't want your putting, as you said, your quarterback in danger, but to take the ability when the pocket breaks down, especially that pocket that Levis had his second year.
Speaker 2: And which I mean gave up more sacks than any Power five team. And well, of course it was Power five back then, big power conference team in the country.
Speaker 1: But it's why I think Levis got hurt so much. He couldn't run away from danger to year. To use your word, But and you know, I go back several years. Patrick Toles when Shannon Dawson got here, who knows the passing game inside and out. But the one year he was the OC, he barked the tolls I'm told in practice for trying to run. If you want to be a running back, you go over there with the running backs. Took that away from him, and that that made Patrick Toles a one dimensional quarterback and it just did not work. So anyhow, getting back to your original question, Yeah, reminded me of Will Levis. That's why when he does get time to throw, I want to see the deep pass from vander Griff. Haven't seen that yet.
Speaker 2: No, And you know, I think the other thing is too And you know it's like every every week Mark stoops and now bush Ham and get asked about that. There's also got to be ways to get get especially barry On Brown, get him the ball in space or Macklin, you know, get them the ball in space and let them make play.
Speaker 1: He had a good pocket for that. Yeah, give him time. Of course, Varian's double team now where he goes, but he can run away from a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Well, look at how many NFL teams you've heard about this stick are now using receivers in the backfield to just give them the ball to do.
Speaker 1: That some Yeah, well, which they tried against him South Carolina. They blew up that jet sweep right now. But yeah, get him out there in space, use your tight end more against the Ohio you because maybe you don't have to keep him in the block. Yep, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Well, Dick, I want to plug a store. I did today because it was about kind of like the problems that the offense has had through these first few games, and this stat I'm sure if you haven't had chance, this might blow your mind. All right, did you know Kentucky is the only SEC team that does not have a rush of at least thirty yards this season?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Only team in the SEC? Wow?
Speaker 1: Is the longest the seventeen yard or by Vandergriff against Georgia.
Speaker 2: I believe the longest with whims it had like the twenty four yard run that's right there against Carolina. Yeah, uh so? And then but and do you know off top of your being the longest play that they've had all season in any.
Speaker 1: The Dan there's a past to Dane Key Macklin.
Speaker 2: Had the forty six yards Southern miss and that's right. So it's just basically this The story kind of dove into all the different issues the offense has had, but one of the big sections I focused on was just the lack of explosive plays.
Speaker 1: Well, and you also wrote about the fact that it amazingly Kentucky has has scored a touchdown in eight quarters eight quarters. That's that's stunning to me.
Speaker 2: It's well, I say this, but man, just think where they would be without Alex Rayner. I mean, jeez, he man, I mean, he's just been so so consistent. It's it's I don't know, if I if I've ever seen a kicker be more consistent now over two season stretch than what he's been now. It's really remarkable.
Speaker 1: No, so you write about, and you don't have to give away the store, but how do the Wildcats get back to the end zone?
Speaker 2: Well, I think, you know, I think the biggest thing, Dick is, It's what we've just kind of hit on a couple of times, is that, you know, with the way the running game is going right now, you've just got to a way to get the passing game going, because hey, if the passing game continues to have the issues it's having, these really good defense. And that's why I want to bring up because you mentioned Georgia justin took Away. You know, Vandergriffs were running some not not many, if any, teams are Georgia's defense, So it's like, you're right, So it is something I think can continue to be successful against teams that are not to the caliber of Georgia's defense. And so I just think if they can just get the passing game going. And you know, Dick, the one thing I've always been a little bit shocked about since I've been here, and I guess I've been at other schools where this has kind of been a similar story. And I'm curious for your take on this. It seems like every year we talk about how unbelievably deep that the tight end room is and how they can catch passes, and it just it doesn't seem like they really ever get opportunities in the passing game. And it's bizarre to me. It's just bizarre to me.
Speaker 1: It is no, You're right, it's it's almost now. Something you say with the rye grin on media day is this today?
Speaker 2: Is this the year the titles get more of corporated.
Speaker 1: I also believe from that we were spoiled as media, people, as fans, probably as coaches by the original Big Blue Wall, which just fell into place thanks to recruiting, thanks to one transfer at least, uh, you know, Drake Jackson when they decided to start Drake at center before you guid are now coach moved Bunchie Stallings to guard. He became an All American, Drake became an All Conference performer, and the Big Blue Line was born, you know, and it's it's since.
Speaker 2: I love that old school n named Bunchie and that's like one of the ones you read about, like the nineteen thirties. Yeah, they moved Bunches Stalin.
Speaker 1: He was a cool guy too. He's a good guy to talk to you, A great one. Yeah, but you know that's starting to at its best. The Big Blue Wall featured five guys who wound up in NFL camps and three made the teams. Haven't even been close to that since. And it all starts there, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh? You know that's you constantly hear this, you know, Dick, When people are like, why is the SEC just year after you're usually the best conference in college football, it's because on those lines, offensive, defensive, wants that they're just they're better. And like you said, if you're not if in this league, if you don't have NFL caliber lineman, you are going to have a tough time. It's exactly what you're just saying, no question.
Speaker 1: Because if you don't have any other guys do on both sides. We're talking to Ryan Black. He is a UK beat writer for the Career Journal. When we come back, we'll talk about Wildcat basketball. It's coming right at us here on a Big Blue Sider six thirty WLAP. Welcome back to the Big Bollon Sider here in the Garage, live on tape with Ryan Black at the Career Journal. He dropped by. We've had several people dropped by the garage and Ryan was gracious enough to come by. Although you you your journalists curiosity got you here, didn't it.
Speaker 2: Just like you know, I've seen other guests, you know, as you said, with your wife taking the photos. I'm like, well, when did when did Ryan Black get that? In fight? I feel like I'd paid my dues and you said, you said come by, and I.
Speaker 1: Said, you think it's something to what you must aspire, But like we welcome all.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks I'm very big on that paying your dues kind of thing. I like, you know, Aaron and other Aaron gershon a good time just they they'd paid their dues and they'd earned that right now. I felt like, Hey, I've been here two years now, I've been on the show maybe ten to twelve times. I felt like, you know what, heck, let me let me see you kind of finally earned that right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, my white will is Mark Pope really trying to get Yeah, who is to.
Speaker 2: Get him here? He'd come to the through.
Speaker 1: His spokesperson has said they're willing, They just got to working into the schedule. Yeah. Plus there have to be cookies waiting for him. Oh, he's such a cookie guy. Do you know that membery of cookies?
Speaker 2: At a press conference he did well, And I know he mentioned that's something I believe that he started to b Yu. I don't think he said he started that. Part of that.
Speaker 1: Well, his wife bakes cookies for the other team, for the opposing team. How great is that?
Speaker 2: Well that's great too, because like sometimes maybe you're killing them with kindness. Maybe maybe you're already lulling them into a false sense security before you go and beat them.
Speaker 1: We talked with with you earlier about why journalism and why you took this job and covering Kentucky basketball, and you were on hand for one of the great stories, one of the great new chapters to be written in Kentucky basketball, with you know, the legendary job Calip Perry suddenly moving on. I mean, this whole thing was sudden and then hiring kind of an outside the box candidate and Mark Pope, what what was that like for you to cover that story?
Speaker 2: You know what's so funny, Dick was I remember, you know, after you know, Caliperry left, I had to constantly do these updated like hot boards, like potential candidates, and everyone kind of knew that you know, you have you know Hurley and you have Scott Drew and da da da da da, and like I would break it down by sections, you know, in terms of like we'll hear raining coaches and here maybe some other people to watch. And I thought about adding a section where it's like, you know, former Kentucky coaches or alums that are who were coaching, who might even be just just just throw it out there. But I thought, you know, it's all gone and putting Pope on there just seems like such a long shot people and be like, oh, you've thought about it. Oh, I thought about it for sure, for sure, just because he mean the other thing is too well, well, the other thing is too though, Dick. It's not like if you look at his record, it's not as if Byu was coming off in a Louisville like season where they were like four and twenty eight. I mean he led them they were picked to finish next to last in the top basketball conference in America and led them to the tournament. And so if nothing else, people are like, hey, this guy can coach, you know, But I just thought, well, han't he has any I know the big knock and you will hear it a hundred million times before the opener. He has not wonted into the tournament game yet, fine.
Speaker 1: Budd, he wasn't even supposed to be there, that's my So.
Speaker 2: So it's it's like, as you said, it's like what you're betting on right now is what can he do when you give him the keys, the ferrari and all the resources that you have here that Kentucky puts in the basket.
Speaker 1: So I'll put that to you, Well, do you think he could do with this group, because you talk about doing something that virtually no coaches ever had to do, and that start from scratch at least Cali Perry has guys you transferred in that he recruited who used to play for him.
Speaker 2: Well, and even of course he brought so many of the guys who originally were going to Memphis with him who ended up coming here, you know, from.
Speaker 1: As recruity as recruits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what's so funny, Dick, As you asked me this, I was. I was literally writing this story last night and this morning about like the kind of five key games, and in my intro I kind of mentioned that the Pie in the Sky kind of dreamed for Kentucky would be as a he's as if Pope was able to do what Tubby Smith did and when when national title in his first season, the difference of course being that he did have players who inherited and were coming back from those two previous teams, you know, there were national champions and then but like you said, outside of of you know, one player, he doesn't have a single person who's ever played under him, and so, uh, you know, Dick, I think I mean, for certain I would be shocked if they're not an INSTIB tournament team. I just do think it's it's hard to say, well, okay, if they don't at least make it to this level, it's it's a failure of a season because I think you just have to keep, you know, bear in mind just what this is. Like you kind of said, when you're literally putting together a new team from scratch, there's got there's gonna be some growing pains along the way. And so I think, and I know this baby is not what Kentucky fans want here, but I think, man, if you if you make it to the Sweet sixteen this year after, if that has not happened since twenty nineteen, you can you can say, well, hey, he's already head of Cayle's final five years here. Yeah, but I know that's I know Sweet sixteens are not what Kentucky is about, and it's not, But I'm just saying that it would at least show progress off the end of the previous.
Speaker 1: And I think I fully agree with you. Yeah, And I think along the way, if they get that, for they will generate so much happiness, Yeah, from a fan base that hasn't felt happy in a long time.
Speaker 2: Well, and Dick, I've told so many people this when people are like, what was it? Like cover and cal and you maybe knew this. I had a really kind of fun relationship with them. We had had a few fun kind of back and forth and press conferences. But the thing that I never understood about him, and if something that Pope made sure to mention and that that big intro pressor celebration at Reparena, uh, was his just complete disdain for the conference tournament. And you know, Kentucky fans view that as their birthright, considering how many times they've won it. And to basically repeatedly tell the media, I don't care about this event, like lie to say publicly that, oh, we want to go and win it. But if you want to say to your players, well, hey, I would rather lose the first round to gear up for the real tournament. But don't say but the fact that he went out of his way time and again say you guys know that I don't you know, I care about the real tournament like it was just because I've just never heard of coach say we don't even care about that, Like to me, anytime you take the floor, take the take the field like you're trying to win and you know what, also, huh, I just never understood that.
Speaker 1: I mean one of the biggest reasons was he was standing right there watching the teams that did win back when he was having his most fun watching them celebrate the SEC tournament win. Those guys were overjoyed to win it. I mean, they had trophies, there was confestive, they they love those. If you're a good player, obviously you're competitive and you want to win, and watching your guys win those games, that's got to be a message to you. But to me, it was like, who you trying to kid? Are you're trying to be cool here? I mean?
Speaker 2: And also to me, just since the wrong message to the fan base. It's like, watcht have your money to an event that that I've already told my players and I'm speaking to you publicly that we don't care about like and to me, it's like the opposite of what you would tell someone in pr And then.
Speaker 1: When you get knocked out of is what turn out to be his last at Kentucky, I felt bad for the fans. Well, you know, you had also told the fans exactly what you had just really reminded them of I really don't care about this. A couple of minutes left with Ryan Black. The time has gone so fast, it has. But I do think twenty plus wins I think is entirely possible given the schedule. But it is a tough schedule. And if they could win one of those marquee matchups one or two, uh yeah, I think the UK fan base now the expectations will explode. But that's Kentucky basketball.
Speaker 2: Right Yeah. Well, and Dick, I'm glad that you you brought up what you brought up. I think something that that I know it's not what Kentucky fans want to hear, but I hope that the ones who were reasonable, which maybe is like a contradiction, right, reasonable fan, I mean it's military intelligent and stace is short for fanatic, But that the SEC that Mark Pope is walking into is a heck of a lot tougher than the SEC when John Caliperry walked in the door. True, I mean, it's just not it's night and day different.
Speaker 1: Oh question, that's a great point. I even thought about beyond the two new teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, oh yeah, no, I'm not even I'm talking about where there's Tennessee Alabama, go down.
Speaker 1: The Loney salaries for coaches, salaries for assistance, upgraded recruiting. You're right, I mean, because we're talking about a span of fifteen years and a league that sat down and said, all right, how do we get more teams in the NAC Tournament? What do we have to do? And they've gone out and done and haven't they No.
Speaker 2: I remember as you mentioned that that was a big push from the league office. It's like, it's embarrassing that as much money that we make in dominic football, that basketball struggles so much. And so as you said, uh, they sat down and got that figured out.
Speaker 1: Hired is Mike Tree, Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Former BIGGAST commissioners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, he said what do we do? And he said, here's what you do and talked about scheduling. So now there's more of the high profile games, right, and you see more coaches making pretty good money, which means you're gonna tract better candidates.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it didn't mean, I'll be honest, I'm just I was talking about this, I think with Aaron maybe someone else, But it's like you just look at the SEC now, I don't think there's a single game you just chalk up and say, well that's I mean, outside of maybe Van Dy right now. But I think the coach they hired from, James Madison, is an amazing coach, and I think he's gonna do very well with time. But like I mean, I mean, look at look at South Carolina. I mean, look how good LaMonte Parrisol. I mean, just just go down the line of you and heck, I mean look look how for so long Auburn was nothing and now they're a consistent winner in the Bruce Pearl. You know, Florida has got a good young coach, Tad Golden. You just go down the line.
Speaker 1: Alabama's a poster child now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it's just as you said, we'll see kind of what Texas and Oklahoma bringing the fold basketball wise. I mean, certainly there's tremendous in state talent in Texas and you know, Porter Moser, that was an odd move to me when he took the Oklahoma job. But and he has not really excelled. I mean I kind of wonder if he has that buyer's regret or remorse, I guess of leaving little Chicago, and maybe he should have maybe gone to a school that was more basketball traditional. I mean, cause I'll make this, I'll make this comparison. I thought it was so bizarre that he had his pick of jobs for so long, But Shakasmart left VCU for Texas because he could have gone to u C. L A or name any other more historic basketball passionate place, and he decided to go to Texas because of the resources of the lush apartment. But to me, I just kind of think maybe Moja would have been better going to a school where and hey, look at look at how now shawkas Mar's gone to a school at Marquette that is about and look at look at he's kind of back to winning like he did at VCU.
Speaker 1: They don't even have football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. So I just think maybe if if Moser ends up leaving his own volition, or if Oklahoma jettison sim at the end of the season, then if he goes back to a basketball first school, he'll he'll he'll do fine.
Speaker 1: Ryan Black follow him on Twitter or ex if you will. Ryan A. Black in the pages of The Courier Journal Online a Courreer Journal dot com. Thanks for visiting the garage don't be a stranger.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dick. I appreciate our.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Ryan for dropping by when we come back Heroes, Fools and Flakes. As we wrap up the week here on the Big Boone Sider six thirty, we'll come back to the Big Boone Sider final segment time only for Heroes, Fools and Flakes. And our hero tonight is Caitlin Clark. And yeah, that could be seen as low hanging fruit just about any time, but I got to give her credit. Along with the management of the WNBA, the Washington Mystics who hosted the Indiana Fever, they moved their game from the place where they usually play at the Entertainment and Sports Arena in Washington, which only holds about forty two hundred people. The Mystics moved their final game in the regular season to the Capitol One Arena, much much bigger. That's why they set a WNBA attendance record last night with twenty thousand, seven hundred and eleven, largest in WNBA history. The Fever beat the Mystics ninety two to ninety one, and the Mystics still missed out on the playoffs. That put the Fever in the playoffs but the Mystics missed out because of Atlanta. Ryan Howard won last night, so they're in the playoffs. The Mystics are not. But Caitlin Clark and all the players in this game threw a huge crowd of record crowd last night in DC and they planned for it, and that was smart, my full tonight, And it's kind of in a backhanded way. Is not just to a tungue of below, but anybody who thinks he ought to keep playing football. Look, this guy's brain is bruised. And it's easy for me to say because he's got a family to take care of the butt. He's also worth about thirty million dollars. That's his estimated net work. He should be able to live a nice life on that money and whatever else comes his way. But after all these concussions, please take it easy on yourself and do the smart thing, my flake tonight. This was really weird. Nicky Glazer joined the team on Amazon Prime with what they call late hits. She did like a three minute comedy bit on the anchor desk, and I like Nicki Glazer, but it just seemed out of place because there was no live audience there to hear and react just to her.
Speaker 10: I mean, thank god Belichick wasn't there to see this.
Speaker 3: He was too busy.
Speaker 10: Watching Blippy with his girlfriend.
Speaker 3: She's twenty four.
Speaker 10: You know, the Jets may have scored more points, but in the end it was the Patriots who really won because they got to leave New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Thank you again. I like Nicki Glazer, but it just seemed weird and out of place. I thought her stuff was funny, but again, so much of what's fun about a good comedian is the way the audience, the intimate audience, plays off. So ah, you know, good nice try by Amazon Prime. Thanks to Ryan Black for dropping him by. That's a good night from the garage and Lexington.
Speaker 10: Well, but Jets are a lot like Bruce Springsteen. They're based in New Jersey, and they've spent the last four decades making grown men cry.
Speaker 8: The build.
Speaker 2: Mass a bigger spans