Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. Our final hour here on a Monday afternoon coffee and company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us. If you are just now joining us, well, better late than never. Right, Maybe you're just getting off work, maybe you're I don't know what you're doing. But if you are just now with us, again, better late than never. Thank you for joining us. For those that have been with us since the beginning, thank you. That's a big commitment. And there's still one more hour to go, so don't go anywhere. Obviously a lot of reaction from the weekend, and a big weekend here in Louisville. The total number of people that were in attendance for the Bourbon and beyond. I was going to say that came to Louisville for it, but I'm sure there's plenty of people. In fact, I'd say there's more people that went to it that live here than not. But still people from all over the world coming to Louisville these past four days for the Bourbon and Beyond Music Festival two hundred and ten thousand people. Sixty thousand of those people showed up on Saturday night or Saturday during the day, and it was so hot, and I it's the first time where I've really felt like, man, who in the world would ever prefer heat over cold? Like, you know, I think about that often, but it's the first time I've ever felt that way. And like, I think, you guys are not looking at me crazy on now. You're comfortable. You know, you're not hot and sweaty like you were, so you're probably like, yeah, summer's way better. I love hot weather. I like melting. But when you were out there at Bourbon and Beyond or at the Louisville football game or maybe one of your kids football games or something, like in the moment when you're sweating your ass soft, you got sweat coming out of places on your body. You've never had sweat coming out before, right, Like you're looking around, you're turning your head and you're just fling flinging sweat on people because that's how hot it was. So like I did feel like, Okay, I'm not a little bit here, Like everybody knows This is awful. This is heat. That's just you know, terrible. But it's gone and falls is you know, it's it's approaching. We're gonna get cooler temperatures, I hope, and you know that's good. But man, it was it was really hot. I asked the question in the three o'clock hour because I you know, I was at a football game for my son in the morning and it was hot, but you know, it was earlier. It got a lot hotter later and then I was tailgating for probably about an hour and a half and then I was in the game for the first half before I had to get out and make sure I could get situated for the postgame show. So you know, I'm sure if you went to the Bourbon and Beyond Music festival, a lot of you probably were out there NonStop and maybe there were places to get cool. I don't know, would you know about John.
Speaker 3: Like there's tints, but again, as we mentioned last week, there's no like trees for shade.
Speaker 2: You got to go inside something. I mean, everybody's different when it comes to their ability to handle heat. Everybody sweats different, but I just feel like it would be impossible for someone to have been outside Saturday here in Louisville, and you know, primetime afternoon when the sun's out and that you're out there, you're just you're constantly just dripping sweat, like it's just flooding out of your body. Was it was rough. Hydration was essential for sure. I woke up yesterday, got on the scale, lost like three pounds, and I'm like, hell, yeah, you've been working your ass off in the gym. And then you know, yesterday a day of a little bit of recovery and hydration. You know, I weighed today and I was those three pounds came right back. So I think it was just because I was so dehydrated because I sweat so much. So anyways, good crowd on hand on Saturday for the Cards. My first time taking my son Moves to the game. He loved it, you know. He he just thinks we can go wherever, Like, why are we not on the field, Dad, Well we can't, Like it's not how this works on we sit in a seat. But you know, once he was able to stand on a seat and watch the game and cheer, he was having a great time. He was really tired. That was one of the things that I you know he still enjoyed himself, but I could just tell, man, he was he was exhausted because he had his own game earlier, was out there playing, and then you know, he'll take a lot out of you, especially if you're four years old and you usually get a nap during the day. But he had a really, really good time, and it was nice to see a handful of fans there that you know, set hello and mentioned the show and whatnot, and even knew his name was Moose And he's still getting he doesn't know how people know his name and ide you're a big deal, like you're kind of you're kind of a big deal, bro. But we had ourselves a good time, and I'm sure he'll be wanting to go to every game that he can. So I'm just gonna throw this out there. I'm not gonna put you on the spot to give you to give me an answer for this, John, because I don't think you would even I mean it. But I don't know what to say to people. I gotta know, I don't know what the appropriate response is to people. Whenever, and it doesn't happen all the time. It happened twice on Saturday, and it's happened a couple of times before, and nobody's it's not rude. It's just I don't really know what to say when people say this to me. They couldn't get you better seats? What are you doing up here? Is if? Like you know, like where'd you think I was on the side, you're entitled on the sideline with a headset, like you know, like I mean, I you know, like and I get to I'm very fortunate. I get to go to every game for free with the credential, and I have a seat indoors in the press box, so like that's awesome, but sometimes I want to go not only as a fan, but also I want to I mean, Saturday, I didn't use my credential. We had tickets and my wife and I we all had with three tickets and we all went together and it was great. So like again, like I kind of sometimes look at people when they say that, like what do you mean?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: But then you know, like I just look at them like uh, yuh don't I don't know what to say. It's not it's not rude, but like I also don't want people to assume that like I think I'm better than sitting anywhere at a game, Like I I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Think a lot of people just assume that radio hosts, whether it be you know, sports radio or music radio, they just assume that we get free tickets the best seats to every thing. Yeah, and there are sometimes where we do, but that's not really I think that's old school radio doesn't happen as well.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: So like I've like, there used to be ticket giveaways, like you had a better put it this way, you can get a credential if you work in media like we do. There used to be back in the day, like when Louisville played in Cardinal Stadium, the old baseball stadium, and they were just trying to get more people, Like the FM station's probably got a bunch of tickets to give away to get people to go. Like it was. It was that kind of an event. Now, of course, over time it's become an attraction where people can charge you can they can charge a lot of money and people buy tickets. So it's changed, but like, yeah, I think it's gotten. There used to be a belief that like if you covered the team in any way that or if you like you know, had the coach on, well that means you have unlimited tickets or something like that. No, it's not how it works, Like we don't know these They never give us tickets. Now you can get access and get a credential, which which is great. But yeah, I mean, I'm like I shouldn't say this because it's a good way to like apply for credential one day and then tell you, well, why do you need one? Like you? But I just I'm not a journalist, Like I'm not writing up a column for the game right like, in fact, I have to do a radio show right afterwards, so I can actually only stay for like half of a game at minimum. So you know, Like long story short, Like I enjoy going to a game and sitting in a seat, drinking beer and screaming my lungs out and being a fan more than I would ever. Like the press box is great at times, and I appreciate all the years I've been able to get there, but like it's not fun, you know what I mean, It's work and being able to go to the game and enjoy it from a fan aspect and tailgate it kind of distracts me that I am actually working that day. Later when I do the postgame show, and it's also a healthy reminder how lucky I am that I get to I get to do this, and I'm you know, I'm a super fan that gets to, you know, do something at least that I think is pretty cool. But yes, it was. It was a good time despite the heat, and I'm sure we'll be back out there for a game at some point the rest of the way. I don't know when I'll be able to take Moose because he's got his football games too, But uh yeah, we had a good time. Now, the game itself, I feel a little bit differently now than I did in the postgame show. On the postgame show, I was just happy they were able to find a way to win, because, let's be real, some things flipp pretty quickly to where, you know, you look like you could potentially lose. I mean, that was a real game, neck and neck. In fact, there's some metrics that kind of tell you throughout the game, like what the percentage chances it every second are as far as your win probability in that game was as close as any among Power Power four teams that played each other. But again, Louisville had they big scoop and score you know, they had the rare I mean, they could have run away with it, but you know, the safety was was not ideal. And you know, it's a weird game. Actually not that to think about. It is rare that you see a team get an offensive touchdown, a defensive touchdown, and a special teams touchdown. And I'm using the word rare because I mean it is rare. Some would say it's flukey. Some would even say maybe luck, and yeah, maybe you maybe you're that's valid to say. However, I think good teams that are locked in, that come ready to play, that are disciplined, they should be prepared to make you pay for those mistakes. That's what good teams do. And you know, Louisville took advantage of Haines King becoming Will Levis on Saturday and just you know, having the yips or something and just making a stupid, stupid pass. Well, Louisville took advantage and fell on the end zone and scored a touchdown. Right, Like, that's not luck. I think that's just making a play because they made a mistake. It's sports. You know, same thing when you blocked the field goal and you took it to the house, like blocking a field goal is rare, blocking one, and then it's a scoop and score that's even more rare. But you know what, you were ready to make a play at the moment they messed up and they clearly didn't have enough protection and Kit got blocked. So you know, I don't think Louisville played great. In fact, I feel even I feel like a liar if I said they played good. But then again, I look at the numbers and it's like, yeah, I mean then you know, numbers matter. Winning really is all that matters. But like numbers don't tell the whole story. So you know, I think they did not play a clean game. And I think Georgia Tech has proven under Brent Key, to be a team that's really good at making you muddy it up and it that way, at that style, they have a better chance of winning, right, And that's what they did. So you know, Brent Key, he lost for the fourth time in sixteen games. Wait a second, they just played their fifth game, didn't they. Wow, So Brent Key lost for the fifth time. Let me double check this because this is I think this is an impressive number. Going into the game. He was thirteen and three against the spread with ten out right wins when he was an underdog. So he just coached his seventeenth game and he's now thirteen and four. So you know, this guy had ten outright wins as an underdog, and that's because he can find ways to muddy it up, ugly it up, whatever you want to call it, and that gives his team a better chance to win when their opponent is more talented. You know, they did it to George last year, played him within a touchdown. So I don't want to gas up George Tech too much because I don't want you to think that I'm telling you they're a playoff caliber team, but they usually do a really good job of having games just be kind of weird and finding ways to win. But they didn't. They weren't able to do it against Louisville. So I think Lowe was in a good spot here, right. They know they got a lot to they got a lot to build off of. They know they can get a lot better. There's no way they feel like they played a great game, but they still got a conference victory, and uh, you know, now they got a chance to go get a big time victory. Although it's not a Conference victory. If you win, it gets notre dame. So you know, I when you see Jacorey Brooks another play that I just wanted to refer like, that's that's not normal. But you know what, he's a talented guy. They held him because they can't they couldn't keep him in front, and he still managed to turn himself around and you know ball was right where it needed to be. That's a touchdown. So yeah, I mean, I mean, I don't want to make it out like you had a bunch of breaks that went your way and you were fortunate to win. I'm sure that's how Georgia Tech's looking at it. But you know, Georgia Tech did some things to put Louisville in that position to make them pay and win the game. So the real concern for me is the injuries, right, I mean, Quincy Riley, I don't know if he should be fielding punts, Like he's too good of a player to be out there risking injury in special teams. Now, he's a weapon because he's a talented guy. But like, I think you had some other dudes you could put back there that would also be pretty effective. So Jeff Brom said today that he is a game time decision, so we'll see. I mean, I was gonna do what I did in the three o'clock hour and just kind of tell you that my gut doesn't feel like he's gonna play. But I'm literally just like, I'm just guessing. It's not like I've gotten any kind of info or I mean, Jeff Brom's not somebody who can really read a whole lot when it comes to body language or facial expression. But you know, we'll see. I hope he can play. He's one of your best players. Some would say he's your best player. Jayden Thompson, who got the starting spot when Colin Lacy went down, he's now out for the year after that knee injury. So the guy who replaced somebody that got hurt is now out for the year. So you're thin at receiver. Colin Lacy. Jeff said he's a game time decision. I don't believe he'll play, but man, I'd be really excited if he did. So, you know, like everybody in college football, you're dealing with some injuries. But what I hope is that with Quincy it's not it's not you know, it's not something that's severe. I mean, it sounds like it's not severe. I think they would tell us if it was. But I just, you know, I hope he can play because you need him, Like he's one of those guys that without him, yeah you do, look at Louisville, but a little bit different doesn't mean they can't go beat good teams without anybody on the roster. Like they got good guys that clearly you know you don't want to you don't want to be without, but there's probably not many that you would say, Okay, yeah, that's detrimental, like that's that changes things in a major way. Well, Quincy's one of those guys. So hopefully he can. Hopefully he can go all right, so some other I mean, I think I've decided I'm gonna not at all bet on Deon Sanders in Colorado ever, because I've been talking, I've been talking pretty recklessly about Deon Sanders. I mean, it's never been personal, but like he's somebody that makes it easy for you to root against, and he has struggled, and you know he's now beating teams he's supposed to beat. They were favorites in that game against Baylor. He's beating teams he was supposed to beat and yet acting as if he's accomplishing something crazy. So you know, they're winning, and you know they now have what three wins on the year. Is that one more? That's one less than what they finished with last year. So you know, we shall see. They're getting all these prime time games and the games some of them have been exciting, but like, nobody really knows if they're actually any good. I think, actually Dada will tell you. Your eyeballs will tell you that they're not that good of a team. They've got a really special quarterback who can make plays, but they can't run the ball. But they also have a guy that I think is quite clearly the most talented player in college football in Travis Hunter. I mean, that guy's insane. But anyways, the reason I bring it up is because I did feel like this was on me. It wasn't like I mean, in fact, i'd say the majority of people did the same thing when it comes to wagering on the Baylor and in Colorado game, because I didn't take you know, I took Baylor money line, which again maybe that is maybe doing that is in the minority. But when I was wrapping up the postgame show, or I guess honestly, it was when I was getting the postgame show started. I think, I don't know when I made this bet, but these are bets that like, yeah, this was the seven point thirty on like seven PM late. I did a four leg parlay and it would have been a big hit for me, and I didn't get you know, I wasn't really doing a whole lot of betting throughout the day because I was busy with my son's football game, and then of course I was at the game. But I had Tennessee money line Oklahoma that clearly hit. I took Oregon State money line against Purdue, no sweat there. Boston College was gifted the game against Michigan State, but hey, Boston College, they got the dub. And then I had Baylor money line, and like if you know how that game ended, like that's a bad beat, right, Like I hate saying bad beat because that's what bad betters say, and we've all had them every now and then. But like, I, you know, had that kicker not shanked it for Baylor, had they defended the Hail Mary any better, like then that's a win for me and I'm you know, and then I feel better about betting. So I took a bath yesterday when it comes to the NFL, and I I mean, I'm gonna continue to do it, although I'm definitely excited about the underdog fantasy stuff because that really has nothing The underdog fantasy plays that I mentioned earlier, that has nothing to do with like winning and losing. That's just player statistics higher or lower. But like the NFL, like who's good in the NFL? Like make it make sense? I mean yesterday another example of like I thought of very manageable, Like anytime you win big bets, you could always chalk it up to like, yeah, there's some luck involved, because if luck wasn't involved, then it was really a skill that people were really good at that you developed. You'd make a ton of money and not work, and that would be what you would do, you know what I mean, Like there's a reason like that. You know, some people are better than others. But I had the Steelers money line, got it Colts money lines. So what I'm doing here, John, I'm not even like I'm not even doing spreads. I'm doing money lines just to play to make it safer, right, Yeah, and then like what looked to be, in my opinion, one of the most probable victories ever ended up being the opposite. Like how of the Broncos suck so bad? And Tampa Bay off to a great start last week people were saying they might be a top five team in the league. They just went on the road and wanted Detroit and then they welcome in Denver to Tampa and they lose. Like, I mean, who's good? I mean, it's insane. So I've always been bad at the NFL for the most part, and I still keep coming back because you know, it's fun and it's not like I'm you know, I'm not making financial sacrifices here to where I can't feed my children and pay my bills. But you know, like I keep coming back, and I've had very little payoff. And I don't just mean like money, I mean like the payoff of like, yeah, this is fun because occasionally I win. Now to the point where like I never win.
Speaker 3: I'm over on NFL bets as well, So I'm in that misery with you.
Speaker 2: I mean, this NFL season, like nobody can make the claim that the NFL is not great. It is Ratings and revenue are through the roof, and I don't see them slowing down anytime soon. Like the NFL is so popular in this country, it's insane. You hear somebody say they don't like the NFL, they might get deported. Like we love the NFL and the numbers, ratings, and revenue really are all that matters for the league. But I don't know, man, Like the product has not been good. And I'm not saying this because I lost bets, but like yesterday, it was a pretty lousy day of football. Like as far as entertainment value. Now, if you watched your team and they won, and even if it was ugly, you don't care because you want your team to win. But like I think they're dealing with poor quarterback play right now is a big factor. And you got so many guys that are not to face of the league necessarily because that's Patrick Mahomes. But you got guys that are that are really really popular, that are big deal that aren't playing because they're injured. And that's nobody's fault. That's football. But like Poukinakua is out, Cem sees out Tua may never play again. Jordan loves out Jordan Addison's out. T Higgins has been out for a while, Keenan Allen, even Mahomes has had some injury stuff. Davonte Smith, Justin Jefferson, two great receivers. These are guys that, like as of now, like they've been banged up and if they're ruled out, like you can't say that you're surprised. I mean, Derek Carr has a better QB rating than anybody in the NFL. Nobody, like, nobody would tell you that makes any sense. Playing well and it is still relatively early. Like Andy Dalton is the first quarterback with three hundred yards and three touchdowns in a game this season. What Andy Dalton, like we all that isn't because oh Andy Dalton's been waiting for another opportunity, Because this guy's always been great. He's just been you know, he's been black balled and nobody wants to give him a chance.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Look, we know, we know Andy Dalton's ceiling and the fact that he's been able to give you the best performance from a quarterback up to this. It's not a good look for the quarterbacks in the NFL. You know, the the Ravens, I mean, their bounce back when was I think predictable. But the Cowboys, you know, they go in against Cleveland look phenomenal against the talented Cleveland team other than their quarterback issue. And then you know, since then they get killed by the Saints and then they get you know, they should have gotten killed yesterday about the Ravens because you know, the game some questionable officiating late. But like, I don't know, I just this is anybody claiming to be like anti NFL is you know, I mean, you can have that opinion, but that wouldn't be a popular opinion among those who love sports. So I'm not anti NFL. I just feel a little underwhelmed. And I don't think it's because I've lost bets. I think it's just because, like the product's not been great. But at the end of the day, even if you agree with me, and millions would agree with me, we're all still watching, and that means records and revenue are going to be great for the NFL, and they don't. They're not evaluating things like, hmm, we might want to reevaluate some stuff and make some changes. No, because when it comes to how this thing is overall view, when it comes to success or failed, they're succeeding at an unbelievable level. But again, like the Andy Dalton thing was just weird. So I mean right now three weeks in, yes it's still early, but like who is good? Like I think the Bills are good. I think the Chiefs are good, But I'm basing that off of like I'm basing the Chiefs off of what they've done for years now, Like they could have easily been zero to two before yesterday. Who they play yesterday?
Speaker 3: No Falcons?
Speaker 2: Yeah they beat the Falcons. It was last night. Yeah, that was a game, like you can I'll watched that game a lot. I don't know how completely forgot about that, I mean had the best play of the game was made by the punter for the Chiefs, who made a miraculous catch because the ball was snapped way too high. So like if that's the most athletic impressive play you see in a football game, like from your punter making you know, a special team's miracle, Like the last night's game wasn't a good game, and the Chiefs again could easily be zero and three now that I realized that that was who the Falcons played last night, Like I think the Chiefs are going to get the benefit of the doubt because of pedigree in what they've done overall. But if you just watch them this year alone, and you didn't know anything about what they've done previously, you would not say they're a great team. I mean the Ravens I thought should have been good. They got their first win yesterday. Vikings look pretty good, and then the Texans looked like they were good and then they got completely demolished. Sam Darnald looks like them right now. No, no joke. There's a reason they don't give out this award after three weeks. But right now the NFL, the MVP is Sam Darnald, a guy who if I told you two years ago would be out of the league, you would not have been surprised. I mean the Titans, Like we know some teams who suck, but like who's actually good, meaning like good enough to win the whole thing? Like you're basing it off of teams you've watched for years that have an identity, that have a you know, that have a brand about them, Like I think the Eagles are good, but I don't know like they're performing. These games have been so ugly. The product it's been so ugly that, like, I don't really know who's good or not. I know what I'm not good at, and that's betting on the NFL. So that's that's one thing I know for sure. All Right, we'll come back on the other side and we will let you hear Jeff brom I mentioned this early. Did not get a chance to play, but he was asked about that Catholic connection, right, He's the Brahms are Catholics, and he was recruited by Notre Dame. I don't know people know that, Like, I don't think we all remember Brian being recruited by Notre Dame. But Jeff was also recruited by Notre Dame. And you know he's now here leading this program Top fifteen about to go on the road to play Notre Dame. And he committed to Louisville as the hometown kid before it was the cool thing to do. He had some big options as well. So we'll let you hear what he had to say about his thoughts on Notre Dame and that kind of stuff. So keep a lock right here. It's coffee and comany feel about Thort's on Sports Talk seven ninety we got about twenty five minutes left here on a on a Monday afternoon. Thank you guys for hanging out with us. Hopefully you had a good week and hopefully if you did go to Bourbon to beyond that you've recovered. I say that like everybody who goes is like hungover, which a lot of people probably are. But like even if you, I mean that's that's a lot. Just being outside in heat, if you are hydrating as best you can, is still going to be something that will take a lot out of you. And yesterday not as hot, but it rained like temperature could be perfect. I think being outside all day at a music festival. Maybe this is just me getting old and getting washed up. But like I'm on need a day to recover for.
Speaker 3: Me, that's what I'm I mean, I'm going Saturday, might go Sunday as well. I mean I'm taken off next Monday because I know that I'm not going to want I mean not that I wouldn't enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Do you need to recover, recharge the battery?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly took the words out of my mouth.
Speaker 2: So so Louisville, Notre Dame this weekend, I gotta be honest with you, I I've not even just because of how bad I was at betting this weekend, I just haven't even looked at the spread. I know, at one point Louisville was three and a half four point underdogs here. I would imagine that's probably around the same as of now. Yeah, according to to DraftKings it is. Uh oh, it's moved. Oh wow. I think it was three and a half four last week and maybe it's been maybe it's been here for a while. I just this is the first time, as we speak, that I've looked at really any lines for this upcoming week's games. But six and a half, I mean, I think Jeff can use that. I mean, they scored twenty eight points against Miami, Ohio, and they wad and they lost in Northern Illinois at home, so you know, not to say Louisville is going to go in there and dominate them. But I am surprised that that's where that line is. We'll see, if you know, if there's much movement from now until kickoff. But yeah, that that is surprising a little bit for me. Kentucky, They've got ole miss a tall task going down to Oxford to take on Lane Kiff and a team that is certainly looking like a legit National Championship contender. I mean it's still early for them, and they've not played any great teams yet, but they are seventeen and a half point dogs, meaning Marx Troops and his team for their matchup against the Rebels of Ole Miss. All right. Jeff brom press conference earlier today, of course, talking about his team did give us some injury updates. If you guys are just now joining us, uh, not not ideal to be in this spot. Quincy Riley one of your best players, uh, certainly one of your best NFL prospects. He's questionable. He's game time decision, according to Jeff. And you also lost Jaden Thompson for the year, which I can't look at his production and say, hey, this is a huge issue. But you don't want to lose anybody, to be honest with you. And you also don't want to lose a guy who was only starting because he's replacing somebody who's not played yet this year. So Colin Lacy also listed as a game time of questionable game time. I don't know if it's I don't remember what Jeff said. It might have been game time decision. But I'm just gonna assume he's still gonna need a little bit of time and if he does play, then hell yeah, meaning meaning Colin Lacey. So it happens. I mean, it's part of sports man, it's part of life. People get hurt and you gotta you gotta move, you gotta you gotta figure out how you're gonna move on without him. I think it actually would be worse to be in limbo not knowing but game time decision. Like I'm I don't want to call anybody a liar, but like I don't know if I believe that many game time decisions, like game time decision as of now, I think is realistic. But like when you get to Wednesday or Thursday, like you know, you have a better idea if they're going to play or not. So both those guys play Lacey and and Quincy Riley. But we shall see. But one of the things Jeff was asked about when it comes to Notre Dame was the recruitment that went on not only when Brian played, because Brian, of course was recruited by Notre Dame, and I believe it was Notre Dame in Tennessee that were the biggest threats to lose the hometown star and he decided to play for Louisville, which you know, even when Brian did it, let's be real, that was a big deal. Like it wasn't you know. I mean, it made sense that he did it because he's a part of the first family of Louisville football. But like if he said, yeah, I'm gonna go play for Notre Dame or Tennessee at that time in two thousand and three, I think nobody would have would have been, you know, would have been like stunned. I think you knew that if you get Like, let's be real, when you got Brian Brohm to commit to you, when he was a phenom at Trinity High School, one of the best quarterbacks in the country, like you knew you didn't get him because Louisville was a better program than Tennessee or Notre Dame. You know, you got him because he's from here. He's I mean, he's he's a brom It's in his blood, like the bron family. They are Louisville football. Hence the reason why Jeff came back when he was already in a pretty good spot at Purdue making a lot of money. So Brian's recruitment was pretty well known. But you know, let's go back in time. I mean, when Jeff Brohm was coming out of high school, he was recruited at a pretty high level the recruiting services. Not to make Jeff sound like an old grandpa, but like, you know, it wasn't. It wasn't then what it is now as far as like online four or five star, like you were recruited and it was well known if you were a big time recruit. But Jeff, I mean he graduated from Trinity in nineteen eighty eight, eighty nine, I think it was eighty nine maybe at that time. And you know, like at that time, Louisville football, I mean, they weren't in a great spot. I mean, they weren't the worst team in the world. But again another situation where Jeff Brohm decided to go to Louisville because he is Louisville, And it wasn't because he picked the better program. He picked the hometown team that he wanted to go help win, and he did exactly that. Now he's coaching him. So he talked a little bit a little a little bit about that situation at his press conference earlier today, and here's what he had to say.
Speaker 4: No, they did. They recruited me a little bit later in the process. They had signed Rick Meyer at the time, who was only raded the number one quarterback in the country. So when they got down to me, even though they still wanted me, you know, I would rather go somewhere and play and not have to fight that battle. And I can recognize town as well and knew they that they already had really the guy they wanted. And then of course with Brian, he was heavily, heavily recruited by him, and uh, you know, maybe at the time the offensive structure maybe didn't quite fit exactly what he was looking for. But no, I have a great respect for their program and the history and tradition of Notre Dame. And you know, for our chance, the chance for our team to go up and play in that atmosphere and our fans to go up again, I know what happened years ago for him, and they found a way with you know, to pull out the win. You know, it'll be a great opportunity. So we're looking forward to it. This is big time football against one of the nation's best every year and and once again this year they're they're they're extremely talented and uh uh and one of the nation's best.
Speaker 2: So hearing him talk about that, it just takes me back to you know, I don't remember Jeff's playing days, because you know, he's a lot older than I am, but I always knew the story of him being a hometown guy who came to Louisville and was a great player. And then of course you know Brian, Brian's a little bit younger than me, a little bit older than me, And nobody's got to be happier about Louisville football and everything in the last you know year and some change than Oscar Brown, Jeff's dad, who in you know, Brian's dad, who have have I mean, he's got to be mean. We're all happy that not only is Louisville being led by one of their own, they're successful. They're top fifteen team like we now can go look at this matchup against Notre Dame and even if they didn't lose to Northern Illinois, like Louisll football can feel a way about themselves because of the confidence that we have in our head coach. So It's like it's the best of both worlds. You're winning, you're successful. People respect Bram as a coach more than they did the previous guy that was here. And also, you know he gets us, right, he's one of us. So you know, I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know, but just hearing that, you know, Oscar brom got to be the happiest guy out there considering you know, he's the leader of the first family of louisvill football, and he has got three sons who all played here and had success, and now you got three of them on the staff and they've got a chance to go knock off Notre Dame. Imagine telling Oscar Brohm in I don't know whatever year it was that Brian or that Jeff was being recruited, because I'm you know, obviously Oscar wanted him to mean, Oscar was probably the biggest factor maybe and why Jeff decided to go play for coach Tellenburger, right, But imagine telling him at that time, here's how it's gonna work out. Jeff's gonna go on to be a great quarterback there. Greg is gonna be a receiver have some success as well. Certainly be a factor, and then Brian's gonna be a phenom. Jeff's gonna be leading the offense, calling the plays for Bobby Patrino at that time. He won't know Boby Patrino is then, but you're gonna be able to coach.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your son's gonna be the offensive coordinator while your phenom baby of the family picks Louisville over the likes of Notre Dame in Tennessee and other big time schools too. And then he's gonna go on and have success and have Louisville with their first ever BCS Bowl victory in two thousand and seven, knocking off Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl. And then he's gonna be drafted in the NFL, and then Jeff's gonna go on to be a head coach. Brian's gonna have an NFL career, have a career in the CFL, and then your son, the oldest is going to get an opportunity to go to go coach at Purdue, and then he's not going to be able to leave. He didn't, He didn't want to. He couldn't do it. He couldn't he you know, the portal didn't exist. He knew that he would be basically abandoning and most coaches do it, by the way, and don't don't lose us wink asleep about it, but he did. He did not want to abandon the guys that he convinced to come play for him at Purdue. So he turned us down the first time just because he couldn't do it. He felt it would be betraying those guys, and most coaches wouldn't do that, by the way. Well, then opportunity is going to come back around four years later and he's going to be the head coach and he's going to take the team to Notre Dame again. Imagine imagine telling Oscar Brown all of this back in the eighties, like that's a cool moment, Like, I mean, that's like so again, I'm sure he I mean, I'm sure if he's listening, and I doubt that he is, but I mean, Oscar knows everything I'm saying, Like he's probably thinking about it every single day. That guy's got to be gott to be on cloud nine as a dad myself and my son is for my daughter is eight, So you know, I got a long way to go before I even start thinking about what they're gonna do later in life. But like that's cool as hell as a dad, So shout out to Oscar Brom. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, finish up talking little NFL. We did talk about just how insane the you know, the results have been up to this point. We don't know who's good who's not. But we have a couple of games tonight that I want to discuss, so stick with us. It's Coffee and Company, feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, We were wrapping up a Monday edition of the show Coffee and Company fueled bout Thorntons. Don't forget. Once this thing ends, the podcast will be up shortly, so if you miss anything, you can always always go back and listen. Find it on the iut radio app, also the Apple podcast app, and I think there's some other apps. Maybe I'm not sure, but I recommend you do it on the on the Apple podcast app or or the iart radio app.
Speaker 3: A R.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the Jefferson Animal Hospital, shall we. They have been around for a long time, forty four years to be exact, since nineteen eighty. The Jefferson Animal Hospital has been opened twenty four hours a day, including all holidays, with a doctor on site every night, including Christmas. That's because they care about the Louisville community. Any day, any shift. Jefferson Animal Hospitals dedicated doctors and staff will have your pets covered in the case of an emergency, so keep that in mind. Nobody's around. I mean, maybe some people do live their life like always thinking about what they would do if certain emergency situations presented themselves. But I know I don't live like that. But now I know, if something was to happen with my pet, my dog Moe, We're going to Jefferson Animal Hospital. But you don't have to go there just because because of an emergency. You can schedule an appointment day or night, walk right in. They'll be happy to see you. Open twenty four hours. Again, it's Jeffersonnimal Hospital on outer Loop Fibo two nine hundred pets or visit Jefferson Vets dot com. All right, so tonight's NFL matchups again. I don't I don't. I mean, I'm gonna watch, but I have no clue what's gonna happen. I mean, I still feel like that the Bengals are a better team than they're gonna win, But like, if they lose, can anybody say that they're surprised? I mean, they haven't won a game yet this year. Now the Commanders aren't very good either, but uh yeah, that's one that I mean, again, I'm gonna watch, but really, for me, it's the intrigued to see. Okay, does Cincinnati finally get a win? Because you can start slow, but like when you're in a really good division and you know other teams are seemingly in a good spot, like, you can't start too slow. So a major win needed tonight for the Bengals. And then the other game is the Jaguars and the Bills. I'm surprised Buffalo is not a bigger favorite here, but again, the Bills getting blown out by the Jaguars, can we really say that'd be that big of a shot considering these results that we have so far in the NFL right now? I mean, I don't expect that to happen, but again, expect the unexpected at this point. How does it feel to be an elite company as an Indiana football fan? John?
Speaker 3: And what do you mean an elite company.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you this might blow your mind. Go ahead, So right now, there are only three teams that have not turned the ball over yet in college football.
Speaker 3: Wow, I knew Indiana was one of them. I didn't know there was only three.
Speaker 2: Louisville in Georgia. Look at that, I mean, and that's I mean, that makes since because those are the three best programs in college footballright now. Absolute, you know what I mean. Like, that's not even request. Yeah, that's just that's just how it works, all right. So a couple of people have sent in the the on Twitter. Somebody sent it to me yesterday and I did see it in real time. But yes, the pick six from Will Levis or that jay R Alexander collected was great. I mean, I wish Louis would have beat Will Levis when he played here at Kentucky. But yeah, I mean he's throwing out interceptions left and right. It seems he's just given the ball up. So it's nice to see one of those turnovers go to a little of a cardinal who was able to turn it return it for a touchdown. I believe I believe JayR said this after the game that that was his first pick six ever as a football player, which sounds crazy for a guy who's an elite defensive back in the NFL, But like those are rare. Pick sixes don't happen that often. So shout out to Jaire and will Levis. I mean, he really showed some toughness last year and looked like he was going to be the guy. But the Tennessee Titans clearly they made the decision that he is there. They drafted him, and then last year he won the job and they got rid of Milik Willis, who's now winning in Green Bay. Whereas Will Evis, I mean, that guy in each game this year has made I mean, I think he now has done the dumbest things each week in the NFL. Each three weeks we've had of NFL football, you go out and look at the most head scratching decision made in any game by any player, any position. He's got all three of them. It's crazy, and you know, as a Colts fan and a Louisville fan, you'll love to see it. I do, at least. All Right, we're out of time. Enjoy your evening. We're back at it tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety