Speaker 1: But it has been a busy news cycle. All right, I'll saw Lake our next guest. Man, I know he's missed this, and I know he's so excited to be doing this. It is Kurt Schmidt, technical director for the club on a Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Kurt, how bad did you miss me?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Let's let's be honest here.
Speaker 3: I'm just psyched to be here.
Speaker 2: You liar, you liar? How you been?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Things all right with you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I'm just waiting for the off season to start so i can relax.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I don't really know where to start, but we're going to get to as much of this as we can because I'm not privy to the conversations behind closed doors. And I know a lot of RSL fans are very curious to hear from you and your main motivation for moving on from Chicho Orongo, the Golden Boot winner for the club and at one point one of the favorites for League MVP, and you know, he just had such a bright start and then we all know it came crashing down with the suspension. And I don't know what changed, Kurt, but something certainly did. So walk us through this. What what's it like? The communications structure, you know, speaking to ownership and Tony and everybody else in the front office, Pablo and then Jason bringing everybody together to decide to move on from a player that really went He's right, he is just very very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, look, it's it's not an easy decision when when when you're talking about whether or not to move on from from a quality player, and you know, it's something that that we had to face a couple of times, maybe last year. But you know, on for all the successes that happened last year that we achieved last year, and we did achieve some some some goals and and some heights in last season, we still fell short of our ultimate goal, right, which is winning a trophy, holding a trophy at the end of a competition. And you know, some of that was was how things went in the in the back half of the season, second half of the season, you know. And and as it relates to Chiacho, obviously, you know, we don't need to rehash it, but everybody knows kind of how that went for him and with us, and you know, we had certain guys step up in a time when he maybe wasn't producing as much as he had in earlier in the year, but anyway, it just you know, it got to the point where it was obviously very difficult and something something changed, and you know, we had a lot of hard conversations internally about it amongst staff, with Chicho and obviously his representation, and you know, at a certain point, you know, Chicho came to me and asked that we help him find a solution for for him and his family, you know, to get a fresh start, and and that's you know what I think we well, that's what we tried to do. And what I think we did was found a solution that you know, obviously is the best for all parties.
Speaker 1: So I'm quite prepared for a very short answer to this question, but you also understand I need to ask it. Can you shed any lights on the suspension, why it happened, and the effect that it had on him and also the team.
Speaker 3: I can look obviously the you know, the club and and you know did everything that they could have done and what was were required to do and needed to do in that situation. And you know, we the league, the league went through their process and we accepted their decision and we went you know, and that's what we dealt with and in terms of how any of that affected chi Cho. You know, obviously I don't know what's none of us can know what's in his head, what's in his mind, but certainly we we saw what was on the field.
Speaker 1: How much of this the decision Kurt had to do with chi Cho and his family not wanting to live here, and how much of the decision had to do with the club being ready to move on with a player that clearly was not right after the suspension went down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think some of that's the question for chi Cho, but I just would reiterate that I think with with all the water that had flowed, you know, uh, float under that bridge, I think we just found the the solution that was the best for all parties.
Speaker 1: Got asked the question, you know, and I am, admittedly, still, after covering this game for twenty plus years, a neophyte, and you're an expert. And I'll see to you if you compare what you received in exchange for Chico to what Seattle sent out for Haesus fre for AA. Excuse me, the package is not close. And look, I understand that you had to cut the tie. I understand you had to make the move, But one point four mil in allocation money and an international roster spot Kirk does not seem like a fair haul.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts, sure, I mean, I look, obviously it's it's really difficult to compare players like that and to set to set the market based on one or two or such a limited number of transactions that you're talking about at that end of end of the market. Obviously there were other opportunities. There were other clubs, other situations, you know, outside the league, in the league, like, there were different opportunities, and you know this, you know, this ended up being the right thing from from all facets, from uh the standpoint obviously the finances from you know, obviously it needs to be agreeable to cheat Sho and his family who are going to move there. And and also from a timing standpoint where you know, this was something that we knew was happening, and you know, preseason is here, and you know, like we want to we want to have our group together and move forward. So just when you factor in all the implications of the decision, this was this was the best case.
Speaker 1: So Sally and Andres was proof of concept. I don't think anybody would debate that, but it's not just andres.
Speaker 2: It's now cheat Joe.
Speaker 1: Now let's move over to Matt Crooks, and I'll just kind of ask you the same question. Is this a scenario where Matt and his family just wanted to leave the market? Were you not satisfied with what you received for his production? I was also taken back that Crooks was sent on his way. Can you shed a little light on on that decision?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look where we try to put the players first at the club, and you know, again that means like we want players that want to be here and that are happy here, and we want to support them, and then we feel that that's the way to get the most out of them on the field. I think that with Matt and his family, you know, yeah, you kind of hit the nail on the head, like this family situation wasn't ideal, and he was. They spent a lot of time apart last year, and for him, the biggest, the big thought process the decision was, you know, could he could he do that again? Were they going to come? Was it better to go back? And again there's a lot of tough conversations there as well, and and ultimately the right opportunity came up for him to go back, and it worked for us as well. So, you know, from that standpoint, it was a little bit of an unwinding of kind of what we did a year ago when we brought him in. You know, Matt's Matt's a great guy. Matt. You know, I really like Matt as a as a person and as a player. I thought, you know, you hit you talked about production. I don't think he lit up the production side of things. He certainly helped us with his movement and that type of thing, but he also you know, we also we needed some production from that position as well. And that's part of the genesis of us bringing Diogo here as well, is because we felt he was someone that was going to be more Goldings, was going to produce more from a similar position. And you know, so from that standpoint, we thought, you know, Jyogo coming in, you know, allows us to grant Matt and his family their wish essentially and get them back together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, entirely fair about the numbers and the production. I mean, don't take this the wrong way, but every time I heard somebody talk about how far he ran, I'm like, cool, But you know, like let's get some assistants, some goals. I mean, I'm not saying you to work hard, but it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't just how far, but it was, you know, just to He ran very you know and maybe the satica to sound equally maybe boring to you, but he did run very intelligently in terms of, you know, the timing and direction of his runs, the pace and how it created space for guys like Andreasin, Chico and Luna at times, and you know how he filled He's a very intelligent player, how he filled the gaps that others laughed in order to continue and maintain our structure in certain times when we were when others were a little more fluid and kind of doing whatever they wanted. He was a little bit of a blue guy that kind of made sure that our game model was still being implemented and that the team still had the right structure.
Speaker 1: No, I totally get it. You're not wrong, but run intelligently and get your head on a ball. Let's get a couple of intelligent goals and assists. That's all I'm saying. But you're not wrong, Kurt, You're not wrong. Yeah, but you're yeah, and you and I talked about what I proceed to be a very professional approach to the season from Anderson Julio last year, who I just thought was called upon oftentimes to step in in tough scenarios, and I thought he did a good job. Now this wasn't a hey, you're going to move on without getting some things in return, but same question take us through the mindset of moving on from Anderson Julio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was a great guy, worked hard, he learned a lot and developed, you know, even though he didn't come here as a twenty year old. He came here a few years after that, but he he up a lot in his time in ourselves had a great year last year. And you know, when you've got a player around that age, as they're heading towards their thirties and they're having a career year, you know, you have to think about our you know, can you make a move here at at or near the kind of top of his market, top of his value, and if we get enough in exchange, is it worth it? And so we thought we thought that's kind of the situation. And we were able to get obviously some money, which is important, but also a piece that solves a bit of death and competition for us on the back line and Sam Junkwa who can push guys in two different spots and give us solid, solid depth and two positions along the back line. So it was kind of a win win all around.
Speaker 1: I apologize for another uncomfortable question, Kurt, but I'm gonna throw it at you anyway. I mean, look, the numbers are the numbers, and you set a club record for points, you set a club record for goals scored, as you reference the ending, unceremonious, you qualify for the postseason, ousted in the You want trophies.
Speaker 2: I want you guys to get trophies. I get it.
Speaker 1: But with all of the moves that have been made juxtaposed to what was a historic season, with the data, what does that say about the group? What does that say to the locker room? What does that say about the connectivity or lack thereof.
Speaker 2: Of the group?
Speaker 3: I think it would send the message of trust to the players that that we have kept and are going to rely upon honestly, Like you know, we brought in you know, we talked a lot about this last summer. We brought in a lot of guys last summer and fit the you know, made the cap stuff all work together, so we could add them then. But but we knew that part of bringing a lot of those guys in was almost preemptively replacing some guys that we might have to move on from in the winter. So you know that some of that work was done six months ago. But again, when you talk about guys like Dominic marshaok Tiogo obviously Luna, you know, guys in the middle of midfield, No Hata and Mecca Poblariez come back from injury as well, those types of things like those Nelson Placia, like those. You know, we're putting our trust from those guys, and I think they should feel that and that should fill them with confidence and give them the ability to play with you know, without fear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said, And I do want to get into the space of the players that you're bringing in. So and look, I honestly, I don't know if you can comment on some of this stuff. I just have some of the reports that are out there, and I'm certainly not an expert with Brazilian goalkeepers. Raphael Cabral, I'm thirty four years old, know nothing about him, but acording the reports, you guys have signed this Brazilian keeper, Kurt.
Speaker 2: Can you shed some light on this transaction.
Speaker 3: I can't deal with reports.
Speaker 2: It's not official yet.
Speaker 3: Okay, we've signed a veteran, yeah, veteran international goalkeeper that has you know, experience playing in some of the top leagues in Europe and in South America, and so you know, we think he's going to come in and add some just experience in the locker room, but also some quality and goal and give us a little bit of a different look there.
Speaker 1: Can you do discuss us sending Gavin Beavers on a loan to a Danish club?
Speaker 2: Are you able to discuss that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, Gav's on his way out. It's not alone. But that's not official yet either, but we're certainly working on that. But you know, Gas a really good young keeper and you know, played a lot of minutes for us last year. And you know, when we talk about where like obviously where he's going is kind of within a little bit of our family or cousins, whatever you want to call it. And it was actually a really productive process to just collaborate across our ownership group and different clubs and decide what is what is the best thing for ourselves, What is the best thing for Brumby, What is the best thing for Gavin Beavers and and make the right decision for all parties. But you know, I think for him it's an exciting step in his career. You know. For us obviously, you know, it makes my job harder when we lose players that at you know, homegrown players or players on a subman a roster who actually can contribute. So that makes my job harder a little bit. But but it you know, it makes sense for all parties to let him go. And yeah, that's why you saw, you know, mason statue art come in today from from Orlando.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you said the name because that's where I was going next. Okay, Mason's statue, if.
Speaker 3: I got it right, to be fair, I probably need to go check on that, but I tried.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll trust you as opposed to the guest that was about to lob out.
Speaker 2: But that one is official.
Speaker 1: It is on the website, as is Kobe Henry correct center back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Mason was is someone you know. Again, I think the other thing we didn't really touch on is is Zach is you know Zach's looking like he's going to miss some significant time early in the season, so obviously we've we've brought in an experienced guy to be the guy. And then you know, Mason comes in as as someone with MLS starting experience that we think will at competition and good depth is in the in the goalkeeper. And then you know we've revamped it otherwise completely with with the college kids coming in as well.
Speaker 1: All right, Urt, there's a report and I know you can't discuss reports, but like you.
Speaker 2: Know, this is the deal. I got to ask you.
Speaker 1: You can tell me to kick Rocks and he's an Australian forward.
Speaker 2: Here we go. Okay, it's a new year. My goal is to just say yes and try things.
Speaker 1: Ariath Peel, I don't know, no idea, but it's out there that you're bringing in Australian forward.
Speaker 2: What is it close?
Speaker 3: I feel like that was close. Huld. If I had to guess his name, I would say maybe the Arif Pole. Okay, maybe like that. Yeah, I mean, look, obviously we brought in Mocklmbrook last year. Australia is the market that we're looking at more and more. You know, we like to bring in talented young players. So signing like that, you know, would would make a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, well that's as close as we're going to get to a curt admission. What okay, where are the goals coming from? We've already TOPPD And by the way, as you reference, and you brought in a lot of players during the summer window that I think people are excited about once we see them with a training you know, a full training camp under Pablo.
Speaker 2: I think everybody loves the Marxian kid.
Speaker 1: I mean, you got a lot of bright options, and lest we forget, maybe your most skilled player, Diego Luna is still on the roster, so all is not lost, but you lost a lot of goals.
Speaker 2: Where are those goals coming from?
Speaker 3: Kurt? I mean, I think you started it already. Look, I think we came in. You know, if you go back in time a year ago and going in twenty twenty four season, you know, it seems like a no brainer now, But us relying on Luna and Andreas to come in and give us quality minutes and high level production like that wasn't a no brainer move at that time either. And you know, we thought we had two talented young players that we're going to take a step up, and they did, and credit to them, and so I think we're looking at something similar this year where you know, I think, again Luna's still a young player that is, you know, I think can take even another step in his development and grow and in his production. You know, Jogovinsolved is someone that came in and you know, maybe didn't quite catch the league in the first few months, but it started preseason well and we we have high hopes for him coming in. And as I said before, I think he's someone who's from that position who's more goal dangerous, you know, dominic Is. I mean, he'll get goals too, but I think he's just going to serve up some of the easiest goals ever for for whoever three four other guys that are going to play with him in the attack. And so I think he can he can definitely score himself and get some assists and then look what you know at the ninth you know, honestly, I think I think, you know, I pabably said it earlier today, we're not going into the season, you know, playing a man down, like we're going to have a guy playing center forward that's going to do the things that we need in our game model, and our game models geared to creating chances for guys in our attack and you know, we're confident that the committee of attackers that we have will will score those goals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and before I said you loose, you know, I think we just forget.
Speaker 1: Like your central midfield is pretty stacked because you get Pablo Luiz back, and of course a Mecca has he's going to the national team camp and he's he's really shown to be a very bright player.
Speaker 2: And then there there's.
Speaker 1: Also brian A Hayda, Right, so you have that kind of three headed monster and I guess that central holding mid area, forgive my my language, how do you think that's going to play out? And how's Pablo looking now that he's back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And I mean we we forgot about Nelson Palacio as well, who is a very talented player. And you know, I look at Pablo has been out, you know, with the exceptional kind of the beginning of last evening, he's now for eighteen months. And so for us with Pablo, it's about bringing him along in the right way so that a he stays healthy and also he like gets his sea legs under him. Right. It's not something where you bean out more or less for that long. You just pop right in and it's like nothing ever happened. It's something you gotta you gotta get into. So, you know, I think Pablo's obviously a very talented player that can add a lot to us, especially in possession. And you know, we're going to bring him along the right way so we can be a top contribute for us. But it's not a situation where we have to rush him in because, as you said, we've got a met we've got to hate it. We've got Nelson, you know. So we have a good rotation of players, even with the number of games we've got playing this to play this year.
Speaker 1: You you sleep in a night, you're hydrating, you're getting food, Like what, dude, You've been insanely busy.
Speaker 3: One for I'm usually one for three or two for three on those three things most days. All right, man, it's usually the one I missed it.
Speaker 2: Fortunately, I'm with you there.
Speaker 1: Well, look, you're a smart guy, so we'll trust you and we'll hope that things pan out. Not easy decisions, Kurt, Thanks for the time, man, Have.
Speaker 2: A good week.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks man, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Kurt Smid he's the technical director for Rayal saw Lake means he is the main decision maker, the sporting director essentially the general manager.
Speaker 2: Soccer teams have different terms