Speaker 1: You sure you're not? Man, No, I'm not mad, mister jerdy. Can you ask Lisa if she's mad? What's that?
Speaker 2: Mister Jerdy?
Speaker 1: You're saying that you know women and that when women stay, they're not mad, they're madder than ever. Oh she's gone. Can you drive me home? I'm a little drunk.
Speaker 3: Four Finger Discount Ude, Welcome to four Finger Discount.
Speaker 4: With this week, we're here to review episode six of the twentieth season of the Simpsons. It is Homer and Lisa exchange crosswords. I'm Dando and I am guy.
Speaker 5: Yes, we're back.
Speaker 4: You know what it was? I actually mentioned this to Ali. I said, we did dangerous curves and it left such a bad fucking taste in my mouth that I wanted to.
Speaker 5: Take a break.
Speaker 4: I couldn't do it anymore. But Homer Lisa exchanged crosswords. Thank God, much better than dangerous curves.
Speaker 5: Very sweet little episode, but I don't know, enjoyable. I mean you like Daddy daughter episodes?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I think just you know when you've gone through these moments ago, I mean, obviously he Holly hasn't had the level of argument with me yet, but she's she's argued back and she walks and she.
Speaker 5: Goes and I'm like, you do a gag.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I enjoyed that aspect. I do think that they could have done more with Gil here. So Gil a bit of a hustle here. You won the crossword contest over Lisa. He hustled her and they sort of left her that, And I thought I could buy into Gill Gutterson being a villain.
Speaker 5: I was. Yeah, it was an interesting heel turn from Gil. Yeah, I'm kind of weighing up two things here. I think you've said in the past how there was a time when the Simps, when the Simpsons was writing gags, it was writing gags that were specific for certain characters. This gag for this one, this gag for that one. And lately it seems to be more like, let's just throw in a bunch of gags and we'll give them to any sort of random character. Yeah, anyone could have been the heel in this. I mean, it was interesting that it was Gil. I like what you're saying about. It would have been good to sort of set it up a bit earlier. So you're playing on this perception we have of Gil as the perpetual loser, as the underdog, and then when he has the heeled him when he turns out to be the hustler. That's a nice little rug pull.
Speaker 4: It could have been that Gil was the one that got Lisa into cross words somehow, where you know, he could have for some reason it stems from her helping him to a cross and go thanks Lisa, And then he eventually turns out to be a bad guy like they were like a friend friends up until that point or some day. Yeah, I don't Gil, Not Gil such a nice guy who got me.
Speaker 5: Into cross it's s and D. But then your mentor turns out to be just the villain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's not the point of the story. I guess it's not. No, it was just a bit about its spice. Yeah, the story. The story isn't really the contest of the tournament at all. The story is Homer betting against Lisa.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's the real sort of crux of it. Lack of faith or is a lack of faith the more sort of an exploitation of a I guess a flaw or weakness.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know. I just liked the way that the inciting story actually led to something here. So whilst him breaking up people was whatever it was. At least it was a way for him to have the money to bet against her, true, because normally they would just go home hasting taking the fa the family savings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like, well, I guess you're not going to college or something like that.
Speaker 4: Little things like that matter because it makes Home become even more despicable if he's using the family savings to gamble on something, because there's a chance that he might lose the savings. This is money that he's earned himself. So leis he's lost his own money. He's not losing the family savings. Lisa's college fund it and.
Speaker 5: It doesn't double down on the dickishness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're gonna be honest, Lisa said, I always screw these things up for myself. I always do it, and I feel like I'm going to do it again. Homer, why would he not gamble against her?
Speaker 5: I must have met There were times when I was watching this episode thinking my bad person, thinking Homer is savvy gamblers, a savvy punter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they sort of they judging for it, and I'm thinking, what do you mean?
Speaker 5: I'm glad how they pointed that, you know, the barman slash bookie who was like, here's your money trashing your daughter's like, you're awfully judging for a bartender who's taking bets on the side. Yeah, I mean, I'll admit it. I was thinking not a bad move by home. When that happens, I always think, oh God, my moral compass is just completely askew. I'm really a terrible person, and not even underneath it all just on the service. Well, I'm watching down, I'm.
Speaker 4: Watching it going could I gamble against Elliott in like a football game or I go? I just I just don't think I could do it.
Speaker 5: You would.
Speaker 4: I would feel too bad. Even if I knew it was the white bet, I'd go No. I just couldn't. I couldn't live for myself. And what do you think of Lisa's reaction to it? Where she wasn't necessarily angry?
Speaker 5: You know, that's well, that's worse. Yeah, it's become a cliche at this stage. I'm not mad. I'm just appointed. It's like, well, that's even worse. Mad at me Mum and dad? Yeah, you know, going out and drinking all night or whatever all, you know, coming home and throwing up on the rug.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing that's happened Marge being not proud when but shopliftsh March just she doesn't yell at him, but she just the cold shoulder is just the terrifying. Yeah, because it's just not terrifying, it's just it hurts you more.
Speaker 5: Well, you get the feeling. It's like, you know, an explosion of anger, unless you're in a really sort of dysfunctional house. I was like, it's one and done. It's like, God, damn it, you're fucked up. I'm so angry. I just take a break, take a break. Okay, you're messed up. We all learned something today, but we all learned something, whereas where is something like no, it's fine, No, it's fine. It's like, oh shit, is this ongoing? Is this a real shift in the relationship. Is I've just damage just beyond repair and this is how it's going to be from now on? Terrifying? Yeah, scary, Yeah, but the Simpsons invariably reversed to the status quo. It wasn't gonna stay bad for too long, and Homer, to his credits, came up with a nice gesture of reconciliation or asking for forgiveness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's just again. I put up a video yesterday on social media of me talking about why Bart Versus Australia is a much better vacation episode because I did best of vacation episodes of Elliott, Joe and Neil from Simpsons Index over the Break, and I was talking about how Bart Versus Australia relies on the Simpsons experience Australian culture, where as they go to England, it's hey, it's Prime Minister Tony Blair.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's the Queen.
Speaker 4: It's relying heavily on guest stars. This one here again they relied on the guest star for the conclusion of the story. Ah yeah, I say it felt natural. It's kind of intially he got in touch with the New York Times crossword guy. But still it made I guess it suited the story.
Speaker 5: Well, he's got that fat water cash. I mean, I imagine that's going to talk. That is true.
Speaker 4: I didn't That's what I didn't play it up there?
Speaker 5: Did they?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: But that's what I'm thinking. I guess it's simple or maybe you know, maybe you're supposed to pick up but it maybe you're not.
Speaker 4: But I guess we should have mentioned that I reckon him holding the money bags. How did you make this happen?
Speaker 5: Dad?
Speaker 4: Oh, I have my ways and him home is gambly money written on a bag of a dollar sign or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it also puts the moral scales back in the balance because he's got he hasn't got ill gotten gains by betting against Lisa. But yeah, that money's tainted because it comes, as they say, drenching his daughter's tears. Again, I always say my moral comes is out of balance. But you know, it's like when you see movies. I think I've said this before. When is it lethal weapon two? I've never seen too. Oh well, there's a bit of it where Mel Gibson and Danny Glover they're in the ship containers full of drug money, and Danny Glove was like this one handful of the Lord. This could pim sorry, sorry, the dreadful Danny Glove repersonation to a ship. This could pive my daughter's college. And melgiven like take it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: You know, the money doesn't know where it came from. And of course, because it's good drug money, there's something good that the money don't get no conscience. But yeah, so when you have something like that. Invariably money that is ill gotten or has just that taint about it. You can't keep it, you can't use it so or you have to use good. You have to use it for good so and you have to get it back and you in this case, you've got to get back in your daughter's good books. You do it by throwing a bit of money at merv Regal I believe that's his name is and Will SHORTZ with a Z. Two things that Grandpa has no control of anyone. That's not a bad that was That was okay.
Speaker 4: I feel like your modern day approval of Simpsons Jake's That wasn't bad.
Speaker 5: That one was okay. I like that I'm doing my DENI not bad. There was a funny little bit good jokes like that was okay. It feels like I'm damn in the rest of it. But most of it sucked. Most of them was ship But that was all right. So I always say, yeah, just the will Will Shorts. Apparently, the appearance of these two gentlemen in documentary wordplay about the creation of cross words was the inspiration to sort of get these guys on board. Okay, yeah, Now, if I saw wordplay it was back in the day. I think it was the two thousand and six. Yeah, if I saw it, my apologies to all involved. I don't really remember it apparently, but I probably should remember because that's kind of shit seems right in my wheelhouse, like nerds playing with words. Man.
Speaker 4: It reminds me of that Donkey Kong documentary.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, the King of Colin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that kind of ship where it's is they have their own world wherever it matters, and you look at and go, No one knows who these people are, but in their universe it's everything.
Speaker 5: There were There were a lot of great docos like that around this time. The Spelling Bee one as well, isn't it Spellbound? Spellband's fantastic? Yeah yeah, so that was what got Regal and Shorts on board. It's like the name Will Shorts a.
Speaker 4: Good name, well Shorts what it sounds like a comedian though to me it does a bit does it sounds Late Night with Bullshorts?
Speaker 5: So yeah, he's got a bit part on Seinfeld. He's like, hey, he ran into him at the comedy club. Type five.
Speaker 4: My favorite, my favorite moments I really enjoyed when they misspellut the names on the shirt and it said ILSA and she thought it was okay. First I did not what going for, and then she went disappointed.
Speaker 5: I went, oh, you know what, not bad. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought that was a very clever joke. I liked it, and I liked the grandpa bit as well. Of course the grandpa bit was very good. I'll tell you what a nice camera appears. We've seen this guy a bit.
Speaker 5: Well. I think he's usually a lawyer, the guy at the very start who when they've got the lemonade.
Speaker 4: STAD mean, the blue head lawyer who arrives as the blue head lawyer. But this becomes the lawyers, the blue head layer. I thought, oh, but he's got like a side gig or something, doesn't he because they I think he's just he's working for holding the case of the cancel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, great gig. It is a great gig. Yeah, excited about it. And it's like Bud's around a bride with thirty five cents on a I don't care if it's boty.
Speaker 4: Five cents And there's one of my trivia questions.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I'm sorry about that. I thought it was a very obvious, very tell not even telegraphed but it's like you could tell in the writer's room or in any sort of creative sphere. They were like, this will be pretty funny. They talk about San Francisco people mover, it's like speaking of that, and they cut to the gay club. Yeah there was. I wasn't. I don't know.
Speaker 4: The gay jokes didn't really work for me in a twenty twenty five rewatching where it was like, who here was a new partner? Put your hands up? Okay, what switches a new person? I was like, you wouldn't make this joke in a room full of women and men place.
Speaker 5: You know, you've also got very egregious hankers gay boys. But it also did give us a brief return of Scott Thompson from the Great comedy Trip Kids in the Hall playing Grady. Yeah, he was already in was it Three Gays of the Condo? Yeah, yeah, So we had one or two lines. But I'm always happy to see and or hear Scott Thompson. So that was good news. I think that might be everything because I also too like the Ilsea gag.
Speaker 4: I thought that was, yeah, there's another moment in there somewhere that I just it's the gambler who says Homers is part of the Asian kid.
Speaker 5: Hey you good name? You know what is it? I don't know. He's not my kids.
Speaker 1: Next question, you there eating the past.
Speaker 4: All let's get into trivia. My first question for you is, and this was a favorite moment slash trivia question. I'll put it in trivia. But I really liked the in memory of words that have been taken now the dictionary. What a nice little spin on the people who have lost over the years, over this last twelve months.
Speaker 5: So what are the words?
Speaker 4: Do you know any of them? I know all of them? Okay, then I can read them.
Speaker 5: Unlike you. I check my notes. And when we asked avery questions, skidatl nixonian Zounds, mimeograph, and hoot Nanny Nanny got a really big standing ovationion. It's my understanding. Yes, I'm gonna do some savy cross promotion here. I mean, you're the marketing guru in this room, but I like to think I'm an enthusiastic amateur. We're going to be recording a Movie Guide episode fairly soon with our man Leondar Moulton talking about should we talk about so? Which movie it is? It's gonna be out by then. Anyway, we're talking about walk the line. While we're talking about walk the line, to the line, guy water Line. It was directed was directed by the maker of a Complete Unknown, which is in cinemas now. It's a bad Bob Dylan. I believe the word hoot nanny comes in that reallyir bit nanny. Yes, because there's a bit of a folk musician Pete Seeger in there. I believe enjoys nanny every now and again.
Speaker 4: I couldn't tell you what it means. If someone said news hoot nanny in context, I couldn't have done it for you. It's just a fun word to say it is. Indeed, sc.
Speaker 5: Is a real word. Whizzle wazzle is just a yeah. But no, Nanny's just like a good old fashion knees up, get together, Ah okay, people go fish. Hold. I believe that hoot nanny is different from a hotel.
Speaker 4: I said, hold digging from the radio Bart now when he goes where everyone going, it's a good old fashioned hold a look.
Speaker 5: You said, as in, you know, would you never interrupt? Hodown is the So you was just asking a question. I'm going to ask you, what do it? Homer refinance his home at what interest rate? Well, twenty six percent, it wasn't yep. All right.
Speaker 4: My next question for you is for forteen nine ninety five at the Bureau of License and Permit, licenses and permits, what can you get?
Speaker 5: You can either drive marry or drive marry.
Speaker 4: And it's all three in one. For our forty nine ninety five drive Mary and hunt. Yeah, license, marriage license and you can hunt.
Speaker 5: You realize that our brains are becoming one because that was one of my tripper questions.
Speaker 4: I just feel like these days there's less and less sort of sight gags and things that sort of go that's a trivia question.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you're watching the classics and you go, I've got the ten triv questions and we're three minutes in.
Speaker 5: It's just chock full of winners. All right.
Speaker 4: My next question I asked your next question now, okay, I still want to yours just then?
Speaker 5: Okay, Yes, what is at the base of the tender dump system pyramid? There are two things I didn't even look now what was it? Flattery and lies? Okay?
Speaker 4: And my final question for you is in regards to the tender dump Simpson tender dump system, what how do you get it for free? I'll be there in so and so minutes. Oh, breakup is free. I want to say thirty thirty minutes. Yeah, it tend to be thirty minutes. It's thirty minutes. Yeah, thirty minutes all free.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Have you ever ordered a pizza? No, I'm not gonna. I'm not carrying up in that regard or even darrening. By the way, did you like what I did there? Yes?
Speaker 4: Because because today is Happy birthday to the patron Saint my uncle Darren I know listens to the show, So happy birthday.
Speaker 5: My unofficial uncle Darren. I am an unofficial uncle in a lot of way. It's all my friend's kids and well, my friends and my friend's kid refer to me as uncle.
Speaker 4: You're like the uncle Darren of that family.
Speaker 5: I am to many family.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's always that one uncle or auntie or whoever who all the nerds in the family in regards like the sci fi nerds whatever, credit that one person.
Speaker 5: Ago.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't be into Star Wars. It wasn't for him. I would wouldn't be into all these things. It wasn't for him. He introduced me to all this stuff.
Speaker 5: I like to consider myself and Uncle Darren to certain people. Yeah, but ye, props to Uncle Darren. Never met the man, but he I don't think I've ever met him, but he's turned Dan to into the dando that he is today.
Speaker 4: I've never invited a guy at a family dinner yet. I haven't brought himame yet.
Speaker 5: Well it's because I'm the type you don't bring him to. But I'm not met Uncle Darren, but I feel as if I know him.
Speaker 4: Yes, all right, so he both that Uncle Darren. So I was gonna ask you, uh huh. I feel like maybe there was a pizza franchise that tried this for a while, but they haven't done it for a long time. But the so and so minutes or it's free. Yeah, I still feel even if they arrived if it was like twenty five minutes late, maybe, but it was in like five ten minutes, I'm not going to hold him to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I get the feeling. It also depends on the person who's delivering it as well. If you see they're sort of running up to your pizzas here and you're looking at the watch going tic tic tic tic tick. I mean, if you get some stoned in the man, who's your pizza? It's missing a slice? Yeah, it's like, this's got here in thirty two minutes. I want my money back, as opposed to someone who's going to do in twenty eight minutes. I want you got to hear in twenty eight minutes. But it's missing three slices. But I think if you've got some like I really need this tip, yeah, you'd be like, we'll let it slide. But at the same time, you know pizza franchises all fast food franchise does that be you know, writing checks your backcand cash?
Speaker 4: Who orders Pizza Hut and Domino's deliver it anymore? Who actually when you get a pizza? Who actually thinks I'm going to go to Pizza Hut now or I'm going to go to Dominoes? Who does that?
Speaker 5: Is it just lose kids? High school kids? Y?
Speaker 4: Essentially you only have like five bucks in their pocket.
Speaker 5: Ah. But even on just like, look we can't be us cooking it's pizza night, I'll be like it's got some only from Enzo's friend of the pot Enzos or you know El Toro in town, both really good pizzas and let's get Domino's mid lovers like, why that's garbage garbage pizza, absolute garbage, legitimate pizza.
Speaker 4: Everything on these pizza has come out of a packet.
Speaker 5: Everything I'm including the dough. I want to say, you know, share that to Dominoes. But at the same time, no, I don't enjoy Domino's pizza.
Speaker 4: I made the mistake. Once I've seen this, I don't forget. I was on Facebook, I may have told the story that's on the podcast, and there was a Domino's One dollar National Pizza Day or something, and all pizzas were one dollar Dominoes, right, But it was only the store. Maybe it was a grand opening or something. It was only the store in Heighten somewhere. And I was like, Okay, cool, this can't be legit, but anyway, I'll try it. And I ordered ten pizzas for ten but on this and I get there and the entire car park is just bombba with people, and I was like, oh, and these poor workers in there just like receipts, receipt just putting in the bear with the receipt. It was just that they're just like stressing out all these kids.
Speaker 2: Like oh, well, what do we do?
Speaker 4: Basically, the owners put that ad out there and I only supposed to put out there for twenty four hours, but they put it and take it off, so for the entire week.
Speaker 5: I think someone's getting fired. Oh boy, the car fuck.
Speaker 4: And I got there, they go it's going to be about a three hour wait and I was like, you know what, I'm gonna go home, come back because I paid ten off for ten lunch pieces. I'm going to get my ten lunch pieces. I got the pizzas, go home eight moment.
Speaker 5: You reminded me of something the other day in Geelong, we have a drive through coffee franchise called bean.
Speaker 4: Squeeze and Nicholas Patron Nicholas are friend of the pod.
Speaker 5: They're good. They're really good bean Squades and one of the hallmark keystone items is they do a really good chicken and cheese toasty and Luna would getting driving someone the other day, I was like, oh stop, I've grab a coffee banks you're hungry, We'll get one of those. Sad was oh yeah, get there and we're like, oh we'll have this this I want lots of butter, lots about it. I imagine it's got lots of butter because it tastes pretty good. This is a reference to another episode we did recently. We were just talked about butter A Lots going down to South Fark, that's correct. We said, oh yeah, we'll have one of your chicken and cheese toasties. I'm sorry, we're the only Bean Squeeze franchise and jial On that doesn't do the chicken and cheese. We're like, that's just unfortunate for you, because I imagine you've got so many people coming through and saying I'll have a medium lastey and a chicken and chick. Sorry, we don't do the chicken. Chit what we do cheese? Yeah, you must be. They did everything else and we got the ham and cheese. Why not We didn't ask.
Speaker 4: You're a franchise. It's like when you go to Baker's to light and I love the berry and white chokscuns right, fucking unbelievable, right, Mike wave for fifteen secon twelve seconds, twelve seconds exactly, Okay, be precise. It's like it's not too hot and it's enough for the chocolate to start melting on the inside. Right, So berry and white Chok's gone and the one Baker's that we always go to, decided it would be a great idea to start adding passion fruit to it. So it's now passion fruit burying. And I was like, I just want berry and white chock the way it's been for the last ten years. They go, oh, we'll try in a new flavor, and I went, I'm not a.
Speaker 5: Fan of this. I refuse to quote bender. You should try something else.
Speaker 4: So then I went to another one who just did the right one the right way. And then recently we went there, got back from a holiday and they were like, oh, we're nowt doing lemon and berrying white Chok's gone.
Speaker 5: Nicola likes.
Speaker 4: Nicola goes, no, it doesn't work. There's too much lemon. And I was just like, why are you fucking this up? You had the best scones in Geelong. Why are you tampering with this shit?
Speaker 5: That's very sad.
Speaker 4: Just leave it, passion fruit.
Speaker 5: Lemon, just leave it.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know what it is. It's someone like Sydney from the Bears coming in and going we had to make this fancy, no fucking this. I was like, you had to bury in chocks, got a fucking work.
Speaker 5: People liked it. Why are you changing this? Why are you changing it? You had a really good sandwich shop. These things are worth their weight in gold. Why is you fucking this up?
Speaker 4: I'm sure I've just watched fishes, like I said of the Bear. Yes, but the entire time I've said to Nicola, I cannot stand this Sydney character. Can't stand it. She's come in assume as she's running the show. He gets annoyment. People don't give her run things by her, and I'm like, you were just the newbie last year. You've just strolled in. You've turned the best fucking hamburger joint or the best burger joint in Chicago into this fancy restaurant.
Speaker 5: What are you doing? I would be living this.
Speaker 4: Said, I said to Nicola Local Reference. This is how I feel every time I look at the Nash.
Speaker 5: Now, Ah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: You drive past and you go you're you're bereft of personality the Nash.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he used to be a you were the soul of the city. A lot of geelong soul has very much been sort of chipped and whittled away.
Speaker 4: They bike lanes and fucking updated pubs manner.
Speaker 5: And by the way, yes, look, Sydney is I think I don't think it's only Carmi who's trying to turn the beef into the bear. So yeah, as I said, wats the next episode as well? That's really good?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, folks, we've been watching it tonight. We got watched it last night. But Paul Holly had a tussles out recently and she's not doing well.
Speaker 5: So okay, let's that is bad news. Yeah, we should start doing a beer podcast. But but right now we return you to Homer and Lisa exchange cross words. Yeah, ready, in progress, we should not in progress? Actually not in progress. We kind of stalled out. Then we'll get out of other things like sandwiches and let's get let's do that. Have we done all our Oh fuck them, let's get into it. I wasn't going to say stone gun I was talking about that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, fucking Babae Trivi, You're gonna be fine.
Speaker 4: Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in ad free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Future, Talking sci Fild and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash fourthing a discount.
Speaker 5: If you feel like having.
Speaker 2: Yourself a time, then check out our new podcast, Going Down to South Pike. Will we go back and revisit every episode of the iconic series, dissecting the stories, revelling and chef singer lungs, and chuckling at the occasional fart joke. Going Down to South Pik is available now for free on iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you find your podcasts.
Speaker 4: It's time for Stonecutter Shared out time for the month of January twenty twenty five, starting with the lovely Lady katyg herself with her one hundred dollars support as always, Thank you so much, Katig. But we also have two new members to the one hundred dollars tier. We have got Zachligma's attorney and stephie Lee. Thank you so much, guys for such incredible support he had going Down to South Park. We need to also thorough shout out to our man Andrews with his fifty dollars support always keeping the lights on here at going down to South Park. Now, the following people are top tier Cheesepoot supporters. We have got Paul Warner, Isabella Murphy, Jonathan Rossi, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean Devi, Pete Anderson, Timothy Belson, Andrew Davis, Ryan Dunlap, Kevin Dantel, Planned Flood, Shannon Hofer, Bala Winderbank, Jack McFadden, Heath Appleby, Adrick McLeod Lewis Cavanah, Mark Trelevin, Rhys Roberts, Ginger and Pigle, Preston Murray, tala, Enriquez, Jake Mersado, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Josh Hellier, Logan b James Sheppard, Joe Ridenseect, Dave Pretzels McNelly, Gavin Lane, Demi Miller and Charlie Joe. Now the following people either joined up to be a supporter this month or they upgraded their tier. We have got Patrick Lauer, Flemish Giant, Mark roonian E, Jeff Jay Callum, bell Ozzie, Greg Keith, Leton Return, Nathan z Matthew Thompson, Mega Monster sixty four, Eric Aaron Thorpe, Tyson Davies, and Nat We just want to say a huge thank you for being supporter of ours at the four Finger Discount network. You two can do the same by being supporter of ours for as little as just one dollar per month. Go to patreon dot com slash four finger discount link. It's in a description of this podcast. The original aireday of Homer and Lisa Exchange cross Words was November sixteenth, two thousand and eight. It was production code kab F one nine, written by Tim Long and rereaded by Nancy Cruz. Apparently featured music is word up by Cameo. You bet yeah?
Speaker 5: Love that song? I didn't which one was it? Excuse me? Are you unfamiliar with word up?
Speaker 4: I'm unfamiliar with Cameo?
Speaker 5: Word up? Everybody say when you hear the call, you've got to get it underwe It's the funkiest thing ever.
Speaker 4: I've definitely heard it in the episode. I've probably really enjoyed it. But if you had it said to me ten minutes ago, what is word up by Cameo? I couldn't have told you what? Well, that's the thing because Cameo is probably best never word up. Oh okay, I don't think they're never much else.
Speaker 5: Yes, people who have seen the video to word may know Cameo because of the insane red cod piece worn by the lead singer.
Speaker 4: I have read a really interesting kid bit. Here's page that Regal merv Regal created all the crossword puzzles that appear in this episode, and as a promotion for the episode, a special Simpsons related message dedicated to this episode that appeared in The New York Times Sunday Crossword on November sixteen, two thousand and eight. That's a really fun unique cross brand.
Speaker 5: It is like that.
Speaker 4: I like original things like that.
Speaker 5: You're a fan of cross brand.
Speaker 4: I'm buying an ad and putting in the paper. It's no, we're going to integrate this and collaborate integration.
Speaker 5: It's a very good thing. The New York Times gets a bit of a shout out and a big up in this episode. It does seem to be regarded as the gold standard of crosswords, like it'll be sort of name checked in popular cultures, like, you know, it's really great. You know, if we'd wake up when we do The New York times crossword puzzle together with the upper then playing in the background. That's correct, And then of course you're partner dies.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you get a dog and some weak kidknocks and your.
Speaker 5: Dog and your house floats balloons And do people really remember what I mean? Of course we remember what happens in UP, as we just sort of talked about it. But I mean, I think people when when they talk about UP, they're generally talking about the.
Speaker 4: First ten Well, that's the most memorable bit. But no, my kids love UP, love it. Yeah, it's really it's a really good movie, is very good. Yeah, picture, they're doing some good stuff there. Wow, that the final shot with the house on the cliff face, and you're like, oh, god, Wally, that's a good Wally's fantastic. But also a film that I when I first saw Wally, I went, yeah, good luck, kids are going to watch this ship because the first half an hour so dark and gloomy and it's not exciting.
Speaker 5: My kids love it, love it.
Speaker 4: Granted they always skiped to part where I get to the Spaceshi where it's bright and shiny, but these on the spaceship it's scary because I'm thinking this is probably we're heading, We're we're there heading.
Speaker 5: We're very close. I'm as guilty as the next person, but hey, we came back. Here was a reference to the eruption Vesuvius. Vesuvius apologized. Guys.
Speaker 4: The family sits on a bench dressed in togas and it's covered in volcanic ash.
Speaker 5: All right, sorry, I got to do some sound checking, just real quick, man, Vesuvius, just a little quick historical check. Is the one that destroyed the city of Pompeii. Okay, what a bitch.
Speaker 4: One angry volcan So the episode kicks off with Barton Lisa running their lemonade stand and they.
Speaker 5: He's doing his spiels, which sunshine in your mouth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I aren't getting any customers, so they do the whole let's put some money in the jars. It looks like people actually buying lemonade from us. All of a sudden, everyone comes clearly just wants some Homer asked to put someone his tab, But no, not happening at all. Have fun with your lemonade, babies. It's just yet very childish and nothing. Home is off to a bad start this Yeah, he makes up for it by the end. I don't mind it, so the car won't start, so he takes less his bike and it gets stuck on his backside. And by this point I went, oh, no, this ain't looking good at all. So they're at mos And this was my biggest grit with the episode. Right, Call me crazy, call me a traditionalist. Right, I love my Simpsons, and I feel like over the thirty years've been watching the show, thirty plus years watching the show, I've created emotional connections to the characters and to the story, especially once from the Golden era. Right, So, missus Kay and Skinner got together in grade school Confidential back in like season eight, Right, And granted their relationship has been on the rocks here and there from time to time. He hasn't been the best boyfriend, blah blah blah. She left him for a comic book guy for a while and it was just it was bizarre, Right, didn't like that. But for the relationship that does end so hazard here with no emotion involved, I just left me going, you know what, fifteen years ago, you would have treated this with real substance. It would have been this would have been an episode. Now it's just a passing gay set up. The opening act.
Speaker 5: It does feel like there's no real sticking to it. There's no stickiness.
Speaker 4: No, we've invested so long in this relationship, whether it be on the rocks or whether it's thriving. So many episodes have had them that we've invested so long, ten plus years that they've been together, right, and now it's just I have we're not together and skinner with like one line from Homer is actually know what my life is good without libsus k And I'm going, what do you mean you should what?
Speaker 5: But I get the feeling like maybe three episodes from now, you'd go they'd be together again without it explaining it. Yeah, without even explaining it. It didn't feel like this was done as a plot point. It just felt like this was done as a way to get the inciting incident rolling.
Speaker 4: So I don't know how you how you do that? Though you're gonna at least explain see you can do it obviously because they don't give a shit, But me as a fan, I'm going, no, No, you can't just break up two characters who have been together for ten plus seasons.
Speaker 5: No, you need more peripheral characters who were not that invested in.
Speaker 4: Look at Luanne and Kirk, right, two characters who we didn't really know much about up to that was season eight as well. I think Millhouse Divided, right, Look how much emotional punch that episode had. They split up two characters, and they kept them split up. They changed the character of Kirk, made him a more popular character, and not so much. I'm just thinking, but that's the equivalent of a Golden era relationship breakup compared to Season twenty breakup, where it's literally just a gag to set up the opening story.
Speaker 5: I get you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, just let me just feeling you just don't really do you writers have emotional investment in these characters anymore?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Or are you just killing as we said slotting? Oh yeah, these characters work in this situation without thought of the history that we have with them or the possibilities of them together moving forward.
Speaker 4: Why did it have to be missus Kayane Skinner? Why would missus Kayane Skinner ad Moose in the first place?
Speaker 5: Breaking up? No? Ide? Oh? Yeah? Why were they? Yeah? I mean I hardly strike me as the type who would go to that kindry. It just doesn't make it. It's just convenience. Yeah, there are other certainly other characters and other couples that would be more appropriate in that setting and more appropriate to break up, don't Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna be characters we at least know, and maybe they no other relationships in this show anymore.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: This is whatever. Think of a new way to have become a breakup guy. Just just be Lenny in the Wife. That's all I had to be. She walks in and break him up anyway. So missus Kay has asked one of the guys because Skinner thinks she's proposing. She walks over to the barn says, can one of you guys break up with my boyfriend for me?
Speaker 5: I'll buy you a beer? So home.
Speaker 4: It goes and doesn't realize it. He's good at it.
Speaker 1: Edna wants to break up.
Speaker 6: She wants to break up Yeah with me? Yeah, look at it this way. You're a free man, unlike me. You have all your hair, unlike.
Speaker 1: Me, no kids turg you down or a crippling mortgage that you refinanced at twenty six percent because a dancing internet cowboy told you to. Oh god, I hate my life.
Speaker 4: But again, do we have to have homo? Soay hates his life I'll go crippling mortgage. I've got three kids who are sucking me dry, sucking all my money away, all these things.
Speaker 5: And I'm just going, why, why, Yeah, why are you so intent on showing us that life in the Simpsons house, particularly for Homa is just a terrible owner of store when he doesn't have it. That's bad.
Speaker 4: I mean, Marge should be the one who was upset with life because she is living with this buffoon. For him to be the one who's constantly the one that's just wrecking shit, spending the family's money, being out man, it's been ridiculous. And he goes, oh, I hate my life and thinking, ah, it just doesn't work for me. It just annoys me. But anyway, so he breaks up with I guess Skinner to break up with missus Kay makes it much more.
Speaker 5: Positive for him. It makes him feel good about him.
Speaker 4: It's like a half day or whatever. Then Lenny says, well, can you dump Doreen for me? When I've met Doreen. We're about to meet her, but mostly she's chipped on everyone, cheated on him with everybody except for Mo, even though he's giving her plenty of gifts. And then she walks in and harmsus. Lenny's dead. She goes, what do you mean how I spoke with him? When now the next piece of news won't be so bad?
Speaker 5: No, Joe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the kids are now still doing their lemonade stand, Maggie's making some more in the pool, Maggi's chiming in as well, and it turns out they've got no vendor's license, so the blue head lawyer shuts them down. They smash up the stand and then they ask for some lemonade. A weird way too. I guess they had to get her to go to the It's just a weird, a really odd setup for the crosswords for Lisa to find someone doing a crossword, or she couldn't just find Grampa doing a crossword. You know said line about oh this feels like so and so with the extra steps. It's like, yeah, you've added one or two more steps than you actually need it here, because the thing is they go there to get the license so they can open up the lemonade stand again. So she gets the license. So why is by not doing the lemonade stand anymore?
Speaker 5: What was the point that does me?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 5: I didn't write this.
Speaker 4: So we're now at the Bureau of Licenses and Permits and hibit he was halfway through an operation when he's license expired. The wise guys there, I mean, it's the wisest guy. He's doing his crossword. And I really liked Lindsay Nagel here saying a lett the bananas in my car. I'm like, that is actually terrifying. You know, when you when I'm planning a trip, the supermarket is part of my trip, I go, I need to plan my trip so the food's not in the boot for too long.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's when you know you're in a dog like, all right, I've got chicken, breast and cheese.
Speaker 5: I've got yoga. Yoga's got to be at the because well, I'm times are tough. People cross the living through the roof. I hate my life for the most part. M But you'll go to various supermarkets because it's like, oh that someone's always got it cheaper. So yeah, I've got my little triangle of like, first off, Woolies at the strand weldy Cole's across the road.
Speaker 4: So when they're across the road is okay. But when you start driving various locations, you realize the money I'm spending on fuel, not just bought it at the first place.
Speaker 5: We're in Geelong. Nothing's that far from anything else.
Speaker 4: But see, Coals are the only place that do the one killer block of light cheese. Will Worst don't do it. So if we want cheese, we shop at Coals, but then Coals, but Willworst do better. Their bakery does better. Bread rolls. It's like, h we need cheese and bread rolls?
Speaker 5: What do I do? You go to boath Are we especially on hot days? Are we realizing, oh, this is the place you got the deer ah Ben and Jerry's Banoffi pie, ice creamers, loving and Jerry's. I really do it. And sometimes it's half price. It's not bad. That's not bad. You pick that up, and then I gotta be really quick with these other ones because that's sitting in the back.
Speaker 4: I just love how to normalize the half priced things.
Speaker 5: I reckon. It was two years ago.
Speaker 4: I was ranting about it like it's coming people, it's fucking gummt.
Speaker 5: I know you're looking at me like I'm an absolute sucker. I don't know. I do the same thing the winds working in.
Speaker 4: I now shop based on what's half priced at the supermarket that week. I saw this coming, it fucking came, and I'm also sucking on falling for it because what I was I supposed to do well should at full price.
Speaker 5: No, the bottom line is already quite healthy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, not good at all. But Lisa offers help to get the crossword done in time, so it's by five o'clock so they can all get their licenses. She does, And what's a fall little word for hero?
Speaker 5: Hero?
Speaker 4: I meant, Lisa, Hello, Homer, it's your old roommate, Grady, the gey guy.
Speaker 5: That's not all I am, Well, it's a lot of what I am. AnyWho I heard how good you are at breaking up couples. I need your help to break up with Julio because I met someone new, someone much more cool and refreshing.
Speaker 1: Got it, Merge. I'm going to a hardcore gay club and I won't be home till three in the morning.
Speaker 2: You have fun.
Speaker 4: I feel like this line here pretty much sums up Season twenty Simpsons, where Homodist says to Marge, I'm going to a hard old gay club. I'll be back to three am. Lisa's like no.
Speaker 5: Worries, like no worries, I quite like marche have fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh she does have fun tough she okay, yeah, this is a joke there, but just feels so whatever. One thing I did like, though, is that he's still doing this job from his actual job, so at least Tim Long has made an effort to As we mentioned earlier, the money he used isn't Lisa's college fund, it's money he earned. He's doing this job as the second job from his actual.
Speaker 5: Job from his side Hustle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he signed Hustle. So Bart then finds Lisa doing crosswords at night. She's going crazy and he's humping her with avan, realizing because everybody he says a word, she says, oh, that's that's the word for this, that's the word for that.
Speaker 5: Yes. Indeed, there is even a shout out to the eighties teen flick Losing It an early role for Tom Cruise. Is it really? Then?
Speaker 4: Homer is now dancing with Julio. Meanwhile, it's the middle of the night at the hardcore gay club, and he says, you've made the next five minutes without love much more bearable, and was going.
Speaker 5: Are we doing here? You guys are promiscuous?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the joke, and then he get says anyone else who want to have a new partner or bring up with them, put the hand up and then just take two steps at the left.
Speaker 5: Hey, there, you're all happy. I'm going.
Speaker 4: Lisa tells Marge that she's now a cruciverbalist. What do you think of the term CRUs verbalist? It isn't actual term.
Speaker 5: Let's have a lot I believe it is. Is it? Really? It's a little much for mine? Is it? Say? Crossword enthusiast or creator?
Speaker 4: Crucifer erblist a person who enjoys or skill of solving cross words. I mean, I guess they're gonna have a name, don't they, chrusciferbalist.
Speaker 5: Well, there are certain big words for certainly, like I'm like for fishermen, it's like pisca episcatorian or something, or just just say you like to fish, just you have to do crosswords. I like crosswords.
Speaker 4: But the thing is, though, when it's like guest Book of World Records, who is the best person at doing crosswords or who's the best crucis verbalist, I'd much rather be the best crucifer erbalist.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, so I liked marche here another religion. Oh, Lisa, you just know you're gonna drop all these once you meet a Jewish guy in college. So then Grandpa says that he also does crosswords as well, and we get the Will Shorts reference.
Speaker 5: Here, which was nice. I also liked his use of the term alphabet hotel. Yeah, cross words. I thought that was very sweet and cute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Will Short's two things I'm no longer able to change by myself. And I thought cruel but funny coming for all this. We're now on the bus school bus. Lisa is looking at the window and she's just seeing various signs and turns them into crosswords. I'll get the scrabble vibes here, though.
Speaker 5: I get where you're coming from.
Speaker 4: I love scrabble. It takes me back to going to my name's place. She loved playing scrabble, Marlene, And yeah, I always when I was older, I was like.
Speaker 5: I'm going to be good at scrabble. Who play scrabble? Anyoney? Doesn't w scrabble anymore? I think they still don't. I think there's probably a big online scrabble contingent.
Speaker 4: I feel like I could buy a board game of Scrabble and Nicola would be over the moon. I feel like it's I feel it'd be something like we're jammed too, Like let's just let's put some jazz on and play some scrabble.
Speaker 5: Dan, maybe you should do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe I will.
Speaker 5: Is there themed scrabble? Is there Simpson Scrabble?
Speaker 6: Do I know?
Speaker 5: I mean I imagine that might. I don't have it's themed. It'd probably be branded Simpson Scrabble. Yeah.
Speaker 4: There it is twenty five dollars on eBay. Where does it look though, let's have a look Simpson Scrabble.
Speaker 5: So it's see imagine it's a regular scrabble board and tiles with the occasional sort of homerhead, just like a deck of cards. Yeah, but se Monopoly is very much it gets themed. Yeah, the pieces and whatnot. There's there's a you know, a Geelong Monopoly, or there's a Simpsons Monopoly, or there's Will Too Monopoly or something like that.
Speaker 4: So it's the normal board, but it has the Simpsons faces underneath it.
Speaker 5: So you put it over the top.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's it looks somewhat distracting. Yes, So the pieces are also yellow with red writing as supposed to white and black.
Speaker 5: I feel like the white blacks.
Speaker 4: Get with a lot of double a double side of board, so you can do a really fucking confusing one, or you just do the standard board which has the Simpsons. Yeah it's not too bad, but yeah, I would much prefer just the standard scrabble.
Speaker 5: It's like with chess sets. I don't like a.
Speaker 4: Really ornate Simpsons grabble Simpsons chess, no I would.
Speaker 5: I would not be a fan. No, no, no, just give me regular ass chess pieces.
Speaker 4: People always say I've got the Simpsons Chess set if you want it, and I've just never bothered to get it.
Speaker 5: I don't want it. It came out in nineteen ninety one and it looks awesome, but it's ten bucks to ten dollars delivery, like and subscribe people, so ten I can get here. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Fun, fact not that fun. I've ever played a game of chess in my life. I don't know how to play it.
Speaker 5: Can you teach me? I would, except I don't really know. It's one of those ones that just doesn't take for me every I don't know, five or ten years or so. I mean, like it would be good to know it's chess, chess people strikeing is really interesting, but I just don't have that kind of brain.
Speaker 4: See this person, he's selling it for ten dollars on eBay. Right, that's what I thought. And I clicked onto the listing and you click into it and it's choose your piece for ten dollars.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's how you eBay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's vintage. It says choose your own figure figure in the title. I didn't read it.
Speaker 5: But then if I was smart, twenty.
Speaker 4: Four people via this in the last twenty four hours. People love their Simpson's chess sets. Wow, this one's trending twenty one. I've already sold shit. Maybe you should get on it. I mean they look horrific. Beau, there's nine ninety one. But anyway, at Simpsons Chess.
Speaker 5: If I was smarter and I'm more motivated, yeah, my teacher how to play chess.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be doing a themed episode at some point in the future on Simpsons games surranging from the nineties all the way through to the two thousands to now, whether it be board games, video games. Because I was playing Hit and Run with Ali yesterday and I went, you know what, there's so many Simpsons games that I haven't played. I want to do a bit of a deep dive so I get my hands on them and play them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have fun with that. I will not be here.
Speaker 4: But as we're saying, though, Lisa's looking at the window and it looks very scrubb less. But it's crosswords that the sciences turned them into crossword puzzles. And then we'll just get Otto here. Use this gag all the time. Who's javing the bears?
Speaker 5: Who bust the bust? You're on?
Speaker 4: So now Homer is at work and he's taking calls.
Speaker 5: You just can't sanction asff.
Speaker 4: Oh that's ridiculous. Well, they just got no gags from anymore. He's one of those characters I think. I feel like, if you're going to kill the character, you could have killed off Otto and it would have had an emotional impact because he's always he's been there from the start. But he's not really going to be missed. Just getting a new bus driver, yeah pretty much. You know he's got, he's got, there's nothing to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the tank has kind of run dry when it's the.
Speaker 4: Stone of metal head, that's it. Yeah, Yeah, you could have killed him off. You probably still do it now. People still probably would give a ship. Someone dies and you go, oh share, Yeah, I mean he's not he's in consequential, but had yeah, yeah, and you get a new bus driver Rippotto, we'll miss you not at.
Speaker 5: All of a sudden. Auto figurines on eBay just skyrocket, Well, yeah that's up. Let's yeah, let's yes, play kill this person please, Matt Salomon, Matt, I got a great deal for it. We have all the auto figurines. And then you yeah, you planned an idea in someone's head. It's like inception.
Speaker 4: Yes, but Homer is sorry at work and he's taking the calls and he's discussing the tender dump system and he'll be there in thirty minutes or your breakup is free and me get the montage for him breaking up.
Speaker 5: Very relationship.
Speaker 4: So Miss Hoover one.
Speaker 5: Was actually pretty funny with the whole jumbo tron thing. Yeah, I find jumbo tron sort of displays. I don't know, I'm not for them.
Speaker 4: No, they're very convenient when you're at the game and you can't make out what's happened and they show it on the jumbo trunk.
Speaker 5: Oh No, I'm all for that. I'm more of the JumboTron being used as a like kiss camp or whatever, but not yet, not as I don't like people who are like, look up there the jumbo drones, as can you to marry me? Oh yeah, don't do it a sports.
Speaker 4: Game because invariably you're gonna have someone like I don't want to buy. There's various videos on line. You look at it and go, oh break in real time. Yeah, but there's the wedding as well. Plus Snake's tattooed is it for never forever and puts in an inn for never? Classy dad joke, not the tattoo bit, but just that more like never. Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in ad free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Side Fard and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at Patreon dot com slash four finger discount.
Speaker 5: If you feel like.
Speaker 2: Having yourself the time, then check out our new podcast, Going Down to South Park. We'll be go back and revisit every episode of the iconic series, dissecting the stories Revelly and Chef, singer wongs, and chuckling at the occasional fart joke. Going Down to South Pike is available now for free on iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you find your podcasts.
Speaker 4: So Lisa is now doing crosswords at school and Chalmers asked what she is doing. Turns out he likes to do crosswords as well, and it suggests first he's just the ballban basketball tournament by accident, and then he suggested he crosswords tournament. I didn't mind the interactions he were Skinner and Chalmers as well. You know what was their first one reference? There's a reference. Oh sorry, my bad, he says it again. Skimmers that because of the pool boy you just heard, Oh my bad, Homer is now bragging to margin better about how much money he's making whatnot.
Speaker 5: And Marge says, you know.
Speaker 4: It's you're making it a little bit too easy for people to end a relationship because of a little bit of a rough patch. She's very much you know, you're going through a rough patch, you work through it, you work through it, and if it's not you can't work through it. I guess March doesn't. She just sticks with it and she but she likes it or not. Yes, I like to think that if Marge never had the kids, she would have got out of there. Yeah, she was, She's there for the kids. But she mentions what happens if someone you know, but my doubts with you or whatnot. And he just sort of sits there for a while, ponders about it. Time passes, and then he has dreams of the relationship spirits. I'm a little put off by that. These are the babiesies people to have. And I was like, oh shit, it's like a spirit abortions, Like, oh shit.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: And then I like the anti the games of scrabble. But she says, he says that he's getting out now.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: However, sleeps Sam again and he's snoring when at the Crosswords tournament, it was give me similar vibes to when we had the Boggle tournament with Peggy Hill. That's correct, speaking of the Hill, Yeah, great episode.
Speaker 5: That was do you remember which a hotel that was being held out. No, what was it? It was a Springfield highth It got you trivia out, you happy. I wanted to cross them all off the list, and there was one that was still glaring out of me. I'm like, how can I fold this in elegantly, subtly without dando knowing? I knew, but and I couldn't think of anything, so I just said it. It was good. Yeah, I liked it. It was all right. That wasn't mad. It wasn't mad. So tomorrow, on the sign of what did you see what I said to today? The crossword tournament. Tomorrow, go ahead and get some free Yeah, yeah, hey, what's going on?
Speaker 1: It's kind of a secret, so shut the door. Most of the way, we found a way to make this tournament interesting. We bet on the matches really well. I did bring this envelope full of money, and these days, betting in a bar is safer than any stock bind of real est state investment.
Speaker 5: Agreed, So we're gonna better.
Speaker 1: I want you to put it all on my little girl, and poorly with the Asian kid. He has that name, you know what is it?
Speaker 5: I don't know. He's not my kid.
Speaker 4: Then we got the montage of her winning. She's doing really well.
Speaker 5: I wish I understood gambling a bit better. I don't know chess and I don't know how to gamble. I mean, I mean, I'm not way what do you mean do like the parlay thing? I don't know what that means.
Speaker 4: Neither do I know. My friends are all about it, but they do. They got ah they are multi and things like that, got the multi old sports. Yeah, it's just it's really sad how we say thank God that we don't have alcohol over foot anymore. No, but just gamble your money away. Yeah, you're just giving money away.
Speaker 5: I had to mean, I had to say it, but I actually listened to other podcasts and occasionally.
Speaker 4: That you reminded me of its newest times.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you, I'm just keep my options open. Good luck. Do you need someone who was a very popular member of the four figure.
Speaker 4: Dia Dannel No, the other one, mitch.
Speaker 5: On one that I enjoyed very much. They always have sports bed ads beforehand.
Speaker 4: You mentions before and you just get really angry about it.
Speaker 5: I'm like, can't we just get to talking about TV? That's why I'm here.
Speaker 4: But then become a patron of the show, and you have to listen to the ads you get to add.
Speaker 5: Free and early. I'm assuming I suppose I could do. I suppose I should walk it like I talk about I just it's all very like, oh, you should have done the same game multi. It's like I don't even know what that is. Yeah, I just don't know this term.
Speaker 4: I get the reviews sometimes and it's like, I wish there wasn't so many ads in this show, and it's like, maybe should fucking support them?
Speaker 5: Then, okay, you know, just telling me this, you're telling everybody.
Speaker 4: I say, I'm various when I'm looking at reviews of other shows and whatnot, and like, I'm thinking, through, what do people say about this?
Speaker 5: And he goes, used to be good.
Speaker 4: Now they've got ads, I'm thinking, are they giveing any hours of.
Speaker 5: Free entertainment here? Also? Know, ever, ads keep the wheels of commerce turning, folks. Yeah, we had a pretty good system. That's the thing.
Speaker 4: People are so used to not seeing ads now because they watch streaming services and then when they get as they go what is this.
Speaker 5: And that, and then streaming services like, oh, well, we can't sustain these prices. Anymore, pay more for no ads or keep this this I mean not in the streaming service, but yeah in Australia. In the States you call it cable TV. Here we call it pay TV. It's like, I'm paying for this TV and I'm still got ads. Ads were used to head, that's our TV pay for itself. Yeah, so wait a minute, I'm paying and I'm also having to watch ads. I don't know how this works. And now they're going to start doing it on Netflix and will they already do it on Amazon Prime bees US.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've got enough money. At least they're only advertising their own ship.
Speaker 5: That's true. Yeah, but you just pitched me at home waving.
Speaker 4: As I was saying to somebody the other day, I think it's just there's now been enough time transpired with streaming services where there is a generation who aren't used to having to watch ads for shows. They're just so used to Netflix is just there, parents are paying for the Netflix has always just been there, Stands been there or whatever, Amazon Hulu and there's no ads or the very little if adult ads on there. They're so used to watching their favorite shows without ads, and the concept of having to watch ads infuriates them. But usually the ads are there because you're not paying for it, tru. I mean you're saying Fox Time want it. That's a bit different. But I'll watch Have You Been Paying Attention? We watch it on ten play, and you're gonna watch the ads. And I says to Nicola, Well, this show has to survive somehow, of course, Like if we don't watch these ads, they won't keep funding this show.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, there, Rea is weird. Newspapers were so long, you know, newspapers weren't making money from here's twenty cents. Give me my copy of the Herald's out. No, the AD's in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't draper the real estate listening all back down?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Advertising, Yeah, it makes the world go around, baby, Because we started watching Have You Been Paying Attention? On Plagues? Because there's no ads. I went to Nicola.
Speaker 5: I feel like I wanted to.
Speaker 4: Make my civil duty to watch it on template with the ads because I want them to know that people are watching this show cause it's my favorite fucking show. Absolutely, I'll sit here and let the ads play because I want them to know that I am watching this shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, vote with your dollar or your attention, which is also a dollar.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, said Alan.
Speaker 5: We now return you to Home release or exchange crosswords already in progress.
Speaker 4: We get the montage of Lisa winning and she thinks she can actually win this one, and it gets Loney, when you win, I win, I'll explain it on your deathbed. What does that mean?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: When you win, I win, I'll explain it on your deathbed, says to Lisa. There I thought I'm lost there. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something I don't know.
Speaker 5: But no, I don't get it either.
Speaker 4: But she says that she always sabotaged, sabotages her happiness when she thinks shes going to succeed. And I was like, you know what, I think I've related to Lisa anymore than this moment. Just when you think you're about to succeed in something, you're sabotaged yourself because you're you're afraid to succeed.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Oh no, I've been self sabotaged. I've been self sabotaged. Maybe it's just why do we do it? Why do we do it?
Speaker 4: And Home is worried by this mentality.
Speaker 5: This is where we give a big shout out to well not a shout out, a plea to our listeners and patrons. Everyone listening to the shouts like every once in a while. I mean you were always saying, hey, give us a few five hour reviews to get out of them. Just tell us I don't want to sound needy. I am needy. Give me some validation if I'm doing this, well, let me.
Speaker 4: Know mail Bag at four figure Discount dot com dot au.
Speaker 5: Or any of our social media channels. Just get on board and say, hey, you know who's good, Guy Davis and Brendan Dando pretty good on the podcast, tell us we need to know.
Speaker 4: Just mail Bag of four figure discount dot com.
Speaker 5: We want to hear from you, guy, and then we'll stop self sabotaging because we'll realize, oh, we're not just These things are actually plugged in and we're putting words out and people are hearing it. People are hearing it and hopefully enjoying it. Sorry, that's the need is done for now. Now we now return you to Guy and Dando's Sorry Dan on guys self confidence already in progress.
Speaker 4: Homer is worried about Lisa here, so he thinks he's going to gamble. He does he gambles everything against Lisa this time, which makes sense to me.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, Emotionally it's it's terrible.
Speaker 4: The Bookie togically is great the book He takes his money, but he won't look him in the eye, and won look him in the eye, and he give it to him. So then we get there. Here's some tribute to the Boyds. I've been removed from the dictionary. I just thought that was funny. I just really like that. And then gil Met because there's always that one person who they say to the end, who gets the big applause. That was a hood and nanny here, yeah, yeah, yeah, And there's always the biggert start saved for the.
Speaker 5: End, okay, because you know we're going to have the Oscars are coming up eventually. I mean we could have this in any context, any sort of award centerm Yeah, but I mean I'm thinking of the Oscars AND's what's doing here. There's always the memoriam and yeah, you're right, I mean they'll they're usually start them all the way through. It's like, oh, here's a big name. Yeah, there's Robin Williams. Yeah, and it usually closes out with something. Yeah. I'm wondering will because we've lost a few big names recently entertainment. Which which actor I'll wager that the late David Lynch of Twin Peaks, and he'll be he'll he'll be definitely out there.
Speaker 4: Which actors passed away twenty twenty four, he was so Maggie Smith, fucking James L.
Speaker 5: Jones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Chris Christopherson passed away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh shit, I did not know that. Sad news. That guy's a legend.
Speaker 4: Quincy Jones, Shannon Dowdy, she'll be up there probably she want me more the Emmys.
Speaker 5: She wasn't. Yeah. Richard Simmons, I did know. Richard Simmons passed away.
Speaker 4: Bob Newhart, oh, Donald Sutherland, Oh yeah, oh man. We lost a lot of people last year. Carl weathers half.
Speaker 5: Beat the Generation X.
Speaker 4: I feel like they're going to have probably James L. Jones last year, reckon who's the Lynch is pretty recent? Maggie Smith maybe is, yeah, but James Jones is fucking James or Donald Sutherland. Yeah, but James Jones, he's Darth Vader mate, and he's faster, He's faster, yeah, And he's the old man in the handlock.
Speaker 5: Kids everybody's got this something when it comes to down this is and it's true. Also your Stolso Doom the enemy of Conan, the barbarian? Is he?
Speaker 4: There we go. I've never seen Conan, dude, I'm fucking not ancient.
Speaker 5: Take a little time. Who watches Conan anymore? People with great taste who enjoy I'm just staring a deep and rollicking romp. It's on Disney Plus, just what.
Speaker 4: I have lined up for today, by the way, besides the bear A movie I'm watching tonight. Finally, I bought it on four K just for you, Mad Max two. Your response, but I said I hadn't watched it, you nearly fell out of your chair.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: And it's not because this share was faulty because audio face was genuinely confused, angered, baffled.
Speaker 5: I was. I was the smallest board of emotions that But you're probably going to message me about you know, ten thirty or so, depending on whenever you watch it. You'll be like I was blind, But now I.
Speaker 4: See, well, the last time that happened was Deep Rising, and that works out for very good.
Speaker 5: That's right. I've watched it twice since.
Speaker 4: And Nicholas going to the UK next week, and shit's cheaper in the UK than it is here because things were released over there, right and they weren't released here. I got deep rising at the regional one version of it, but someone was selling in the UK. I've got for fourteen dollars. Oh my gosh, blue ray.
Speaker 5: What do you means she's picking it up for you over there? Or which is over there?
Speaker 4: So I'm getting sent to her Muma's place. So, Nicholas, this week's just like getting all these blue rays.
Speaker 5: We should word and me up about this. I gotten on board that train.
Speaker 4: Oh well, too bad too, Sadles.
Speaker 5: Look really gleeful at that.
Speaker 4: You can pick a couple of movies as long as they're just like blue rays.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: I remember I said about once my friend from America, and you're like, does he bring back books hardcover in particular, And you were like no. He was like, no, I'll bring back like lighte shits, but not books because there's just too much weight.
Speaker 5: I wasn't gonna.
Speaker 4: I'm joking, I know, but he's fighting because he always has spa space. Nicola, I've told you about what she when she packs for ship, she's gone by herself. For two weeks. She'll pack, She'll pack too much, I said. I said to her, you're gonna leave at least five kilos aside from me. She was like, oh, I might, Nicoli, going for fucking two weeks, let's go it.
Speaker 5: This was Fune Lose some felixes off on a on a music camp a couple of days before he goes back to school, and we're searching around for bags for him, you know, to take his stuff in while he's away for a couple of days. And we found like a little Duffel bag and go, yeah, I think this is running thing. I think that's right. Lose looking at it and go, that's not nearly going to be big enough. And the dudes are looking at you. There's plenty. There's so much wrong because.
Speaker 4: We went away on the holiday weekend the other day, right, and Nicholas like, you haven't packed it, I said, Nichola. Three shirts, four pairs of undies, a couple of pairs of socks, pair of thongs. I'm set, that's all she's got. Fucking get some dresses and fucking this, and I don't know when we go out to dinner, might wear this and might wear that. I'm like, Nicola, just pick something one doesn't want to be, you know, gender stereotyping or anything like that. But yeah, dudes tend to pack light.
Speaker 5: I think most guys do. Yeah. Yeah, because I've just and we rarely regret it. We regret that we haven't brought the phone charge or something. Mate. Yeah, It's not something like oh I wish I brought this is like, oh I forgot that.
Speaker 4: I said to Nicola. And you know what if we guess. If we guess and I haven't got a shirt that I want to wear, I'll just fucking buy one.
Speaker 5: And buy any shirt.
Speaker 4: It's so hard.
Speaker 5: It's not that difficult. I need space for those blue rays. Baby.
Speaker 4: It's one of the things I always think of when family coming over here. We're going now, I'm like, all right, what can I buy from said country to bring it back free?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Oh god. The first the first time I went to La on a business trip, I was like, jeans, wasn't it? I think that was partly it. But it was also there was a record store. I know it's still there, Amba records on on on sunset Amiba. Yeah, okay, look it up big, but probably was there until two weeks ago. Oh gosh, big ars warehouse of a players, multi level, the.
Speaker 4: World's largest independent rocket records store.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like, well, I wasn't really into the sort of records. I mean I would have got some.
Speaker 4: Music, but I was like, they've got a huge DVD section. Oh yeah, back when that was awesome.
Speaker 5: And and also this was when you were, yeah, you wanted to get I mean I think, yeah, I think I actually did buy like a couple of big ass box sets of CDs. It's like, yeah, I could probably get this on this thing called Amazon, but oh no, just get them.
Speaker 4: I'm just looking it up here. Amba Music, Hollywood's incredible record store.
Speaker 5: It's fucking massive. Look at the size of this place. Honestly walked in and felt like, holy shit, yeah, good job I've got the one, and said they just look at that. Look at the size of the place. I've been there, dude, that's crazy. Man. Go one in San Francisco as well. And when lou and I were there, not last year, but the year before, everyone was like, oh, we're going to visit these things. I'm like, can we go to me but please? And both Louke and Clay were like it was pretty good shop.
Speaker 4: Well, it's like when we went to Las Vegas. This is on our honeymoon, and we met friends there over there as well, and they go to Vegas like every second year. That's that's their thing. And I'm like, oh, yeah, we're gonna do this casino, that casino. We're gonna go have dinnery here, We're gonna I was like, can I be guilty the Pinball Hall of Fame? And they're like, all right, we'll sneak it in. We get there. Everyone had a fucking ball. My mate was like, I think did not realize how fun pimball was gonna be. I'm like, mate, pimball, Pimball's.
Speaker 5: All right? Shall I say to the line, or well, just get back to it. Uh do one more time? All right, we now return you to Sorry, we now returning you to Homer Lisa exchange cross words already in progress.
Speaker 4: So he's gambled against her and he's taking his money bah blah blah. But get the tributes, Gil mentions here. So she she's got up against Gill in the Grand Final. Now I did notice that Sunderland was in the background on the leader but and I thought.
Speaker 5: Oh, good for Gilly.
Speaker 4: He's getting up there, and I went, oh, she's actually going against Gil. So he mentions here that my wife Shirley passed away a couple of years ago. Has she actually passed away? Didn't actually clarify that no one knows anything, because didn't he want Shirley to take him back in like last time we saw him or something that's anyway with Gil law.
Speaker 5: Let's see, I'll spread some cues around that'll get my brain going.
Speaker 1: Now I dropped my glasses.
Speaker 5: Oh Shirley, baby, I let you down. Hey, there are no lenses in these glasses.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 4: That's Enrico Fermi.
Speaker 5: And there you got the pet shop boys across the T.
Speaker 1: And Jing the g and Skit Scots totally.
Speaker 5: I'm all the way home. Lisa got hustled. The hustler. What a hustler. I thought, good for him. Wow, Old's fair and love and crossword, Yeah, yeah, I love. It's the boggle thing, right, a good heel in a sports movie. And here Gil being the heel in a sports themed episode of The Sins. I could be all for that. Yeah, you'll be looking forward to having Gilmore too coming soon, because should mcgevan's in it.
Speaker 4: The problem is, I don't think I'm going to like it, okay, because can you recall when's the last time we did a Hey, remember that thing you love when you're a kid. We're making a new version of it now being any good?
Speaker 5: I guess top Gun, Maverick maybe, Yeah, okay, I agree with that, But there are also many examples of like that didn't work. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know, so I didn't have the emotional connection to top Gun that like you probably top Gun? Yeah, but people did you know what I mean? Maybe because you didn't like top Gun you liked Maverick. Maybe that's it. That's possible, But I don't know. I just no car Weathers, no chub.
Speaker 5: But we like a good heel.
Speaker 4: Oh should we have one of the greatest heels of what kind of he? Would you a smarmy heel? What would you call him?
Speaker 5: Shit hitting heel? But no, Gil, he gets a rare win. But he also, yeah, gets it by means that you wouldn't necessarily expect from Gillie. You think he's just kind of plodding along and a low blow when the rest is not looking. That's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Lisa, obviously Lisa's here which means home. It wins lots of money, and Lisa notices all the new things at home. It's gotten new shoelacers with metal ends, highlights in his hair, a new car, antenna that straightened out, and a diamond on top. And he explains, well, this is what happened. I used my winnings better against you because you said you were gonna lose. You lost like you said you were going to, and now I have all this extra money. Is Lisa's reaction here. Her reaction are going. It's coming to terms of the fact that I can't believe he did that, even though it was probably the right thing to do. It's anger, but also a realization of Look at it from Lisa's point of view, it speaks to a great not even a lack of faith.
Speaker 5: I mean, you would expect that your parents would go. I know you don't believe in it, but I believe that's true. Yeah, And to have that sort of ripped. Oh, all my preconceived notions about myself as a elf sabotaging failure, shit, they're real, even though the people who are meant to build me up are following is following this, Okay, I'm on this path. Now I can relate to this. Right.
Speaker 4: So recently Eliots just started playing the Saga mass Assistant, right, I said Sega, not Sega, Sega as it's supposed to be said. Apparently I've always said Sega my whole life. Apparently that's wrong, but it's spelled sea. Yeah, but Sega. So the sonic one, right, And he could only you could barely even get past the first level. And he always says, I can't do it, I can't do it, and I just keep saying to him, look, dude, you can do it. And if you can't, if you die, you just got back to the start, and you practice again, practice again.
Speaker 5: You can do this.
Speaker 4: And now he's eventually gets to the second level and eventually he got to the third leve and he has to take on doctor Robotnik, the villain, and he did it by himself. I'll never forget. I had to go to the toilet. I was sitting on a tour here. Yes, my dad, I didn't die, Yes, And I was like, he's so proud of himself, and it was just just you just gotta keep trying, mate.
Speaker 5: That's me every morning when I wake up.
Speaker 4: When you actually succesfully take a shit, I didn't I didn't die. Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Scifild and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four figure discount.
Speaker 5: Forgive me if I have told the story more than once involving guys, good pal Will Smith. But yes, the bricks no no different one entirely. He came out he was playing Muhammad Ali in the movie Ale, and he was talking about getting in training for it, getting into becoming Muhammad Ali. He said, I'm clumsy, I'm wasn't I wasn't built, I wasn't I didn't have muscles or anything like that. But I'm a math nerd. I believe in numbers, and I believe if I do this every day, I'll get exponentially better. You know, you just have to keep at it. But you know, if you keep doing the same thing every day, you'll get better and better. And you know, eventually he bogged up. I mean you get bigger, you mean oh not yeah, but also just better and like I don't know how to box, I'll trip my my own feet. But you know, you just do a little bit every day. You just keep working every day, and you will actually get better. I mean it's not just like it's not even an expression of faith. It's just like, no, it's just science.
Speaker 4: Editors sitting there going, motherfucker. You couldn't do shit I edited you to make.
Speaker 5: It was a good story. It was what I led with the article. It was one of the best hours I ever wrote.
Speaker 4: When he tells that story, then it cuts to best editing at the Oscars, we have the door, Holly, do want to come and say hello? Holly has entered the building. Come and say hello, Come and then quickly close it. Come on, quickly, quick, quick, quick, quick, We're gonna wrap this up. His shit is it's Holley.
Speaker 5: Hello, Holly. So hi guy.
Speaker 4: Now you had your tonsils out, didn't you on Friday? So yeah, can you say, yeah, yeah, yeah, you've been pretty sick, haven't you, incentainly haven't you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You must sit on here all right, now quickly sit there?
Speaker 5: All right, let's be.
Speaker 4: Real quick, okay, because daddy's got a show to do. But you tell the good guy what happened to get your tonsils out?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, what stickers did you put on your tonsils? On your mask? Winnie Winnie the poop? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And tiger too, Yeah, tiger too. You really like that, didn't you. She had much better experience with the actual going to sleep than alliot did. He wasn't pinned down like a psycho. Oh, Jet's coming as well. All right, hold start, you might have to let go of you. Okay, Well now, Holly, do you want to say hi everyone?
Speaker 5: Before you go?
Speaker 4: Say hi everybody? You actually speak sweetart. They can't hear you say hi?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: Can you say? Subscribe on Patreon? You're said loudest, they can hear you quickly, loudest.
Speaker 5: Care thanks five stars, say five stars? Yeah, good job, sweetie. All right, it was one of those high five funker guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh you're so strong.
Speaker 5: They're wrong.
Speaker 4: The hospital must have given you superpowers. Jets come for a kiss as well. Oh my goodness, it's all happening. All right, Well, say bye bye everybody.
Speaker 5: Everybody wants a piece of guy they see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, Well then she Holly's now gone, a daughter who somewhat loves her daddy compared to Lisa, who no longer loves her Daddy's to the point where she's changed her last name, which I thought was pretty extreme for some of for an eight year old to do. It's one of those examples where you.
Speaker 5: Are but then you know you're dealing a little an eight year old who they're not necessarily got the best.
Speaker 4: It just seems emotion insane. This is one of the things where your dad's mistreated you for your whole life and isn't in your life anymore. You want to change your last name, He better against you in a fucking crossroad puzzle. That's tournament, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I mean. Just seems like the inciting incident.
Speaker 4: You have go for do this story by all means, but the inciting incident just seems This seems like a real leap. I was changing my last name to Bovier.
Speaker 5: It strikes me as the kind of dramatic thing that a child would do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but how would she even know how to do it? Just know she went down to the she went back to the licenses offices.
Speaker 5: She must have. Yeah, I don't know if she did. I mean I think she was just saying no.
Speaker 4: By principle, just by principle. She's referring to herself as but yeah, something she's not legally changed.
Speaker 5: No, she's just crossing it off her textbooks and now putting in the new name. Yeah, or saying to call me Lisa B. Now as Nelson does.
Speaker 4: So Moe then us or most says to do something nice to win her back, you know what I mean. She might not change her name, but she'll still love you and refer to you as her dad. Nobody gives better parenting advice than childless trunks. So now Lisa's on the couch watching TV, I'm assuming, or she's sitting on the couch. She's wearing her Lisa B. T shirt and Marsha just doing the New York Times puzzle. They never explain whether margin was in on this. That's true, was margin on it? I don't think so?
Speaker 5: Oh? Actually no, actually I think have they name checked the New York Times crossword puzzle in this episode before, so they I.
Speaker 4: Think maybe maybe I'm not too sure. But anyway, just the I lost my innocence, medicines died in the founder and forty one little boxes blah blah blah, and Marchess, I don't think you can do it. I might take you a few hours. Forty three minutes later, she said she takes a fence to that.
Speaker 5: I get the feeling is March is definitely on this.
Speaker 4: She has to be, said, They don't explain that those or I'm saying, yeah, she must be. But then she realized this dumb Dad's sorry for his bet and wonders if planted it. She goes to ask him, and Will Shortz and mill Regal are just hanging out in the living room.
Speaker 5: Well, it must have met. I'm kind of touched. Dumb dad, sorry for his bed. Nice.
Speaker 1: You didn't get Homer's whole message, Lisa. I didn't take a look at the first letters of all the clues. Dear Lisa, you make me so happy, really really really happy. Sorry he told me I needed one hundred and forty four letters. What was my point again? All right? Movie or Jimpson? I cherish you.
Speaker 5: Cherish?
Speaker 4: Have you ever watched the little rascals. I know that I've never seen it because I never seen it. Okay, we won't get to ject there. It's just basically Alfalfu's letter to dear Darla, I hate your stinking guts. The way he's reading it here, the kids think it's peak comedy. Anyway, people who ever saw the movie or have kids who've seen the movie will understand exactly what I'm saying here. And then it says Bouvier or Simpson, I will always choise you when we play the song. It's emotional, everyone's happy. A bit of rollercoast of this episode. Really sweet ending. I feel like we've said a time and Tom again sticked landing of hav An emotional ending. It seems to make you think the episode is better than what it was. The episode had a really good story here. There was just lots of randomness of stroning that just felt unnecessary, really cruel or just I don't know, hors saying he hated his life and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: You know, it was very up and down when it came to Homer certainly. Yeah, there was a lot of stuff in there that was the act in particular. It's like this guy. Yeah, and even though he did sort of pull back at the end, and it was, as you said, a happy ending and a satisfying ending. You're right. You get those last get that last minute right, or even those last thirty seconds or wherever. It's like, walk out with a warm, fuzzy feeling. They went back over this. It was like this is yeah, you're right, kind of all over the shop.
Speaker 4: They are relying a lot more on music to to create the emotion, for sure. Yeah, because sure this ending was nice and sweet, but if it doesn't have that song playing over the end, don't think you're really quite not quite hit.
Speaker 5: It's an it's a nice bit of chocolate syrup on top of your Sunday.
Speaker 4: They have been doing this forever. When it comes to mind, is Saturday's a thunder where Homer and Bart embrace at the end and it's I think it's like on the jumbo tron and it's playing what song is it playing? It is playing a song? Can't of it?
Speaker 5: It's like a song about it, like that's my dad or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think my STA's during the episode, but there's a song You're just like, ah, it's just so sweet. And then Marge and Homer on the bike singing rain drops are falling on my head. Like when you're an adult watching it, you're just like, shit, we're gonna cry, you know what I mean. So they do do that, but I just felt they were lying a lot more heavily on commercial songs and not just the music score of to tell their story. But all in all, Homer on liast to exchange crosswords much better than dangerous curves.
Speaker 5: I give it that.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a very season twenty episode of The Simpsons. It is, but it's not something that offended me. It's just sort of had his moments had as good, had it as pretty good.
Speaker 5: It's okay, and guys writing it's not bad. What do we learn Bomber? So what did you learn from this episode? Dando? How did that feel? Surprisingly good? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm giving you more control, letting you do things, more authority, more incentive, just to just take controls, to just grab me and just do it.
Speaker 5: That sounds like an hr I lent. You cannot trust Will Gerson, I know, what an absolute hustler. We always thought that he was just this hit sandwich, This is this weak link, this pushover.
Speaker 4: No I love a good he'll turn love it.
Speaker 5: Well, prepare for mine. It's coming. Yeah, okay, it's been a long time in the may game. But when it happens, mask off. You're the person who bought our domain, are you? Don't worry? I own the domain. I don't know what he means. I know what he means. You learn? What did I learn? Don't order a ham sandwich at Mo's. You know what going to be dirty.
Speaker 4: It's going to be dirty. Indeed, yeah, good, just mo pretty much.
Speaker 5: He will change. He'll change his domain name at the drop of the hat. He will.
Speaker 4: Yes, he'll He'll steal yours.
Speaker 5: He will steal it. Yeah, he'll rebrand from this knee forward, your name will be all right.
Speaker 4: It is time for the return of the Guy Davis New Name Championship here for season twenty the first one of twenty twenty five. I had a long time coming. He forgot about this thing. Guys like, we're going to new names? I said, yes, we are.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: Guy has posted in the Patreon group asking for your new names. And we've got a lot of great names this week, didn't.
Speaker 5: We did. I tried taking more control and Dannis Libman, Yeah, of course, then he slapped me stop trying to take control. So the currently we've got a lot of great nonme currently says is in first position we have Jared Hornby, in second position Kyle Mule doing clever Kyle, and Phil Hawkins, and in third position we've got Brian Hughes and David Mott take it away. So I can just hear Phil Hawkins like doing the guy Davis rubbing his hands and you're like, twenty twenty five, it's my year climbing back up reclaiming that gets the Martian goes that too hard. We'll see how, We'll see how everyone goes. Because the first point goes to rumble in the Jumble. I love that name.
Speaker 4: That is a great name that comes from Heath Appleby. That's Heath's first points for the season. Weld on Heath, How do you like them Applebee's and we do? You have to read that as axel though the jamber, So it was rumbling in the jumble, or you don't it's welcome to the jungle. No, no, no that, But is that rumble to the germ? I know that stuff the guns and Roses names.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm beout to say you were so you know authoritative, isn't that well, actually, no, you weren't Thorwy. That was like that, isn't that the actual song? Isn't the Guns and Roses song? Rumble to the Jumper?
Speaker 4: I was asking you, isn't that what the new name was? Rumbling the jumble?
Speaker 5: Do you want to do this all over again? No? No, no, that was rumble in the jumble. It is rumble in the jumble exactly. Yeah. I was making sure it wasn't jungle one point the jamber two points? Can we just do let's keep doing that for a little while rumba.
Speaker 4: And you said, and at first you didn't want to do it. Now that's all you want to do.
Speaker 5: That's all I want to jumper, Rumbling the jumper two points. I like this one a lot.
Speaker 4: One down to r cross to are cross as in are cross, Yeah, which would be Homer and listen at least's cross Harmerson Cross.
Speaker 5: Who's the other cross? Only one was crossed? I don't know the word player.
Speaker 4: Honestly, Bart and Lisa were crossed it there and the lemonade stand went down.
Speaker 5: There we go. You saved it. I was about to say, across Wood is not a jumble.
Speaker 4: No, so Phil Hawkins two points there, phil two points.
Speaker 5: Didn't I didn't even know.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, that it's now Philip Jay Hawkins again is on top. He's equal first, Philip J. Hawkins, Philip J.
Speaker 5: Haw It's back. I say the line a lot. I've got a few lines and I say a lot, but one of it is the guy Davis new Yon Championship is done blind. I did not know who was going to get the names. So with the Phil Hawkins mentioned at the very start of this, I didn't know that he was going to become Philip J. Hawkins again. I didn't know who was going to ascend become himself. Opposite of a hilt is a baby face? What a comeback? What a comeback?
Speaker 4: It's like in nineteen ninety nine where the Vincent Man's crew beaten down the good guys and all of a sudden clash as Stone call Steve Buston comes out. He's back, baby, that's Philip Jay Hawkins comes out and he beats up.
Speaker 5: The bad guys. I recognize maybe five of those words. Hey, Bi, let's see what happens, because you got that J back. But we might be just yanking it right off here because I'm about to say that this new name got three points. It is clues Blues. Clues Blues is also very great. It's quite good. So bad I praise from guy David. So bad?
Speaker 4: Can you say like this clues blues clues blues.
Speaker 5: Let's see, I mean I was an adult when blues and child. Also, I was a groom nap and had no children, so I never I was aware of blues? Is there a b there? Am I thinking Blue? The bear in the Big Blue House? You thinking of a bear in the Big Blue House? Blues Clues Blues?
Speaker 4: Blue was a dog, right, And I had Steve, the guy in the green striped shirt who did this a beautiful video of a couple of years ago during the COVID yeah saying you know what, I just disappeared from the show because I went and did university and literally what happened. As a kid, You watch the show and all of a sudden, go, we're Steve, I got no clue Blue, tell me please, And then he sort of did the Hey, I'm still good and they we're all growing up now. Just to get just to let you know that you're going to get there. Basically, the real positive message that was great, So check that out on social media.
Speaker 5: Just type Steve and Blues Clues. Yeah, return me and Steve both grown ups. I feel it.
Speaker 4: Blues Clues was writing the demo for my sister's age group when she was about I know, eight or six or five, seven or whatever. I was a little bit too old, but it was still a show where you went, eh, I'm enjoying this. It wasn't too kitty where you couldn't enjoy it as like a eleven year old or twelve year old?
Speaker 5: Is it a kin to say Blue? That is four children?
Speaker 4: Now? Blue is very much a show that you're going to watch with your mum and dad. So parents are going to sit there and watch the Blues Clues all day. Parents could sit there and watch Blue and genuinely enjoy it because you've got the parents. You can watch from the parents' perspective. So Blue is very much I say say this all the time. Blue is for me, the modern day version of not quite popularity wise and overall quality wise, but it's like a modern day Simpsons. It's the show that you can put on that kids absolutely love. It's absolutely the biggest show in the world. But parents can love it just as much as.
Speaker 5: Well, makes sense? Yeah okay, but yeah, let me try.
Speaker 4: That was Brian, That was Brian Hughes, by the way, three points, but now put the ego first as well.
Speaker 5: We've got a freeway. Everybody likes a good three way. Yeah yeah, especially yeah, especially people in the three way. So Brian Hughes, Philip Jay Hawkins.
Speaker 4: And yeah, well what's what's easy Brian?
Speaker 5: He Hughsy the only quote unquote celebrity who on I'm a celebrity, get me out of here this year? Is that show still going? That show is still going. It's just relaunched, is.
Speaker 4: After one the Geelong cast players on Zach Took.
Speaker 5: Exactly, he's on it.
Speaker 4: Please is a celebrity, He's.
Speaker 5: No Tom Hawkins. But yeah he easy on it. Oh you did great from a celebrity to give me any sorry, you can get rid of all that. No, I'm saying in oh no, I've made an enemy in Hughes. But where Brian Hughes from? Is he Australian?
Speaker 4: Brian Hughes, I believe he's from the States. Okay, big fan of I believe, a big fan of the Sapar podcast.
Speaker 5: Well, he's clearly a man of taste.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go on Brian his profile and find out I'm going to stalk him because because he's from Boston in the USA, oh fantastic, or even attorney at laws, he actually atturney.
Speaker 5: He's pushing for. He's pushing for a bad trial thing. Anyway, Brian, when we when we call you he'sy, we mean it as a as a token of great respect. Yes, just as we do when we say Philip Jay Hawkins and his name.
Speaker 4: Clever car was closet behind on four points and David Mott in what's Moddi's Scotty too money? That's a wrestling reference. Okay, Scotty too money was a wrestler.
Speaker 5: Scotty Scotty too money. What's Mott? What's creek?
Speaker 4: Anyway, we'll get when you think on first position, he gets a new name, says, think when you're in the top of the leader board, that's when you get your own name.
Speaker 5: That's a good idea. Yeah. Anyway, what was fun? We had a good time. We had a good time. Yeah, it was okay, one bad.
Speaker 4: Don't forget guys. You can't send through questions to mailbag at four finger discount dot com today you've been listening, now do it. Just send us for an email. We're gonna read all your questions on the mail Bag podcast next week. We want a mailbag overflowing, so Mailbag at four finger discount, dot com dot au. Also, you can support the show on Pagreon for just as little as one dollar per month. It is all much appreciated. We're going to invest in some new gear and what's that paid some editors so we can just focus on doing the show. And I have to have me sitting here for ten hours a day editor as well. Please save Dando from a nervous breakdoan it would be much appreciated. And also continue to rate and review us on Apple podcasts or on Spotify, oh wherever you do listen to this show. We're closing in on three hundred and fifty reviews now on Spotify. I want to get that to five hundred. I know you're all out there listening. I know there's plenty of you that haven't yet done the five stars on Spotify. Many of you listen to the show on Spotify. Please take a second right now, pull out your phone, get those stars, hit review five stars.
Speaker 5: Much appreciated. Also, Ben Marlson Cash No no, no, no.
Speaker 4: Now the next episode of season twenty of the Symptoms that we shall be reviewing. Mister Davis, do you know what it is? I reckon you might know what it is?
Speaker 5: Well, we just talked about it the other day and already I've forgotten. Now.
Speaker 4: Next episode, as we mentioned earlier, is My Pods and Boomsticks.
Speaker 5: It seems like a very early two thousands title. It does, indeed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just I remember not liking it when it first air But anyway, maybe your opinion will change, maybe so hopefully so anyway, Yeah, My Pods and Boomsticks is the next episode of four Finger Discount. Are going to be doing a classic review later this month as one next month. Each month they're going to be doing a classic review, so you can also vote for which one we do by being a supporter on Patreon. So each month now we posted there which classic reviews should we do? Vote on Patreon and we shall do it. But for now, mister Davis, any final words for those incredible listeners out there.
Speaker 5: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Forefinger Discount. It is Switch Sunshine from our mouths s