Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Es Mornings with Me Jeff Grub, your host from GiantBomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about secret new additions to Animal Crossing as part of that update, and also how some motys might have uncovered a weird reason why Monster Hunter Wilde's run so poorly on PC. It's gonna be a good one because we have Jason Fonelli on the show. Jason, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am doing fine. Love to hear about the ingenuity of the PC moding community. I'm looking forward to talking about that later. Staring down the barrel of thirty nine years old eight days from now, woo turning the next Friday, the twenty third. Always easy to remember my birthday because remember back in the instant Messenger days, you'd make your screen name and then the numbers at the end would be your birthday. I couldn't do that. My birthday's one, two, three, Ah yeah, yeah, so I had to. I had to mix it up. Always easy to remember for people when I tell that story. But yeah, I'm ready to ready to talk about news and things that may or may not have my dander up, which are not the roadblock's age verification. As the chat has mentioned, that's a whole other can of worms, right.
Speaker 1: That sounds like an insane mess over there. I honestly, we we're not even it's not even in the Rundown. But I did, I did see a trailer for uh, for this Fatal Fury. Uh. I don't I don't think humans made a lot of that stuff. I gotta say, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I don't think humans made anything except the game clips, to be honest. And then hus the voice over so that trailer drops, right, and then a couple of boys and I in the game spot slack chat started parsing the different things that are going on in that trailer that make us sad. And it's not just the generative a, it's not just the blatant use of bullshit tools. It's the little things. Nightmare Geese should be very cool that a previously dead character in the Fatal Fury for it's he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Have a foot, Yeah, he should have one of those, so two of them, even.
Speaker 2: You should have two of them. And what makes it even worse is if you know the story of if you want to get into the lore of fatal fury. Right, Geese Howard is the most powerful weeb in fighting games. Right, some dude from Southern America who's so into Japanese culture. He built his own Japanese tower in South Town and looms over the city in this rooftop dojo that he built himself.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool.
Speaker 2: If he were a real person and saw this ship and what they what they did to him, he'd throw himself off the building.
Speaker 1: Like he did it, foot ab off the try to throw it at him.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. This sucks. This sucks so much. And I understand. I'm sure people who may have seen me going off on Blue Sky. Yes, in the grand scheme of the world, this is a drop in the bucket. It's not important. It's a minor, minor thing, and I completely understand that. But the other thing gives me so much anxiety that I just can't talk about it. And I think you get enough of that on social media that you don't need me adding to it. So I'll be more than happy to channel that anxiety at this ship, where I have no problem yelling at these motherfuckers. Then that and if that makes me a coward, fine, I'll be a coward to you. Yeah, we'll be.
Speaker 1: Cowards on the showy in the whole beginning of the true they like hide the feet even like there was something wrong with their feet technology And.
Speaker 2: Why does Blue Mary have a helmet on? And that's another thing. That's another thing too, if you really want to get into Fatal Fury specifics. Here the motorcycle that she's on does not match the motorcycle she has had canonically throughout the series. It's always been more of like a Harley Davidson Big Big. I put a picture of it on Blue Sky two. In comparison, here, she just looks like she looks like she belongs in cyberpunk, and she's not cyberpunk. She's like a trucker. What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: The people? You know, It goes back to like, well, if they don't care, why the hell should we? I mean, yeah, I don't get it, Like, why why would they expect us to care about this stuff to spend more money on their on their game if.
Speaker 2: Theyly do not care, And and the and the and one of the worst things is they teased a character because it's the only revealed four characters. There are six, right, there are two question marks that have already been teased. I'm guessing one of them is a very cool crossover if you're not familiar, if you haven't seen it. They basically all but announced that can Shiro from Fist of the North Star is one.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, right, Okay, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: That's a great idea. I was very much looking forward to using him against my training dummy Ronaldo and just beating the shit out of Ronaldo for a little while with Conciro. That I very much look forward to that. But now if they don't care enough, like you said, to put effort into their trailers, and their trailers would be great. Go back and watch the Ken trailer hands drawing anime. It was fantastic. And now we get this shit. I don't understand. I don't I don't get it.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's it's it's just frustrating because it's like you know, I I you know, soul music, this whole idea of soul music. I would I would say that video games soul music is fighting games, like you gotta have soul if you're making a fighting game, and this is the husk of that. It's the most soulless shit, and uh, why would the people who make, like who have spent their life playing fighting games want to like engage with this in any way. Oh my god, there's something falling apart in the back of my PC. Oh yeah, Like I just saw chords begin to vibrate in a really scary way. All right, I think we're good. Yeah, Why would people spend their time putting their life into this the way that they do with fighting games. If this is the way the company that owns it is going to treat it, it's.
Speaker 2: Or the Kingdom, I guess let's say, huh yeah, be real here, we know where this directive is coming from. It's just it's very disheartening. It is the disheartening icing on the disheartening cake that has been most of this calendar year so far. And you know, what can we do besides yell about it for a little while. So thank you for letting me be stress.
Speaker 1: So we need you on the show, come in here and yell yell about it. Well, well, I'm sure the roebox stuff will continue next time. We can yell about that again. Hey, real quick, Happy birthday Emmy for birthday today, you know, and she's got that Emmy lux Street going where we have basically a blizzard here today and she got school off, so she's home from school. So good. Yeah, that's what she wanted to say. I wish I didn't have school my birthday. Well there you, kiddo, and I did what I could. No more presence, just home from school. All right, let's explain ourselves. We're Giant Bomb independent games media out here on our own, but no, we have you at our backs. You at the giant Bomb dot com slash joint became a premium member, and you are enabling and empowering all of this. If you want to join those ranks, if you want to get like the the premium exclusive grub Snacks premium show that just went up, that's on the site now. If you become a member, you also get ad free shows, a bunch of other cool stuff. But really what you're getting is the assurance that you are supporting a games media apparatus that does not require the input and the destructive nature of corporations. It's you and us and that's it, and let's keep it that way. All right. As far as this show goes, most weekdays, I Jeff Grub will help piece your gaming life back together that includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with Animal Crossing New Horizons adds a new jump, strafing and walking backwards. This is from Haley Williams at GameSpot. Animal Crossing New Horizons Free three point zero update has dropped earlier than expected, bringing new features including the Slumber Islands Resort hotel and the return of Resetti. One feature players didn't see coming is the brand new movement system, which allows players to move precisely one square at a time, allowing strafing and even a cute little hop. The new style of movement movement has been added to aid in construction and dec and decorating. The options are mentioned as part of a tutorial in the Island designer app, though some players manage to discover the new feature on their own. One player posted to Reddit after finding that pressing l now makes your character jump, while others discovered that this was the only part of the new movement functionality, which allows precise movement one square at a time by pressing in holding now. Yeah. Okay, yeah, I just kind of threw this in there. It's like, oh, okay, I somehow, for some reason, this excites me. I want to get back in there and see how I can move my little character in Animal Crossing. I bet this is also the kind of thing where it's like they are working their way up to the next Animal Crossing game, and maybe testing out some improvements and changes here could actually help them in figuring out exactly what that should be. I bet they're a long way along the line of figuring that out, but they'll be happy to test that out here with the public and see how it works. Animal Crossey just feels like it's going to probably have a small little moment here again. You know, it's not going to ever be able to replicate what happened in twenty twenty. That was serendipity, That was the right game in the right time. But I do think that this game popping up every five years for the rest of our lives is fantastic. I'm still a little disappointed that we're getting this update instead of a new game, but I'll probably get over that because I'm gonna boot this thing up tonight and play some of it, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. How about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm glad that these movements are in the three point zero update so that everybody can use them, it's not just.
Speaker 1: The free the free update correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, that I think is pretty cool, and I also like I'm with you on the using this as a testing ground for things that they may do in a future game. I agree with you that it would be better that if we just get to bring a new animal crossing game. But if this is a way to have another moment and include everyone in that moment, not just the people getting the switch to edition, I think that benefits everybody. It's a win win all around. I do like this new capability of movement it makes because it puts me one step closer. It's recreating the Jamiroquai virtual insanity.
Speaker 1: A whole time.
Speaker 2: Of course, why we play the game.
Speaker 1: After a why we play the game, but no we.
Speaker 2: I haven't gotten this for the kids yet on their switches. It's just on mind, so I'll boot it up. I'm going to get the switch to addition too. I don't know about tonight, but maybe this weekend caught me off guard. I thought I had more time, right, I thought I had. I thought I had the weekend, so I planned for the weekend. Yeah, this is cool this. I loved how excited everyone was too, Like Rev. Valentine specifically was her blue Sky that was I'd me too, and that was the right person to hear it from. I think it was the one person who would appreciate it the most. She can get to the absolutely understand this is cool. And you know what though, I think, among other things this could have been, especially with Nintendo nowadays, just one of those like get an update out there. So people were talking more about animal crossing again and being able to find something that they didn't mention, something small ish like movement.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: It's something they didn't have to do.
Speaker 1: Right, and it's like and it also is the kind of thing where oh, players can do something with this beyond what the intended purposes. So it's intended to make it easier to decorate and design your island. Sure, but Animal Crossing is a multiplayer, often a multiplayer expressive game, and you already hear people talk about like, ooh, I'm like, when I'm excited, I could do this little hot now. And when it's when someone's being weird or I want to get away from I can just walk backward. It's go and get out of the screen. It's like, oh yeah, new ways to express yourselves. And it's it's small and subtle, the way Animal Crossing always has been. But it's like, okay, yeah, just a few more tools and these players are gonna have a lot to do with this, so yeah, time to go moon walking through your villages everything.
Speaker 2: Let's let's add a feature where you can throw items from one player to another, and then we'll have twenty two people in one island and we'll make a giant football field and we'll create Madden Animal Crossing. I love that. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: That's it's beautiful. Uh yeah, it's this is so I'll just kind of realizing it's like they're gonna have Animal Crossing update. They're gonna have Tomadaci Life Here Pretty Soon and Rhythm Heaven. They're kind of I'm doing a lot of their like, oh, those other games this year, so it's kind of interesting. I wonder how that's gonna work out for them. I hope they kind of also have some other weird stuff in the future. But I'll take everything I can get right now as well. All right, let's this is this is a weird one. Let's let's just kind of cap this camp. This better not be true. Monster Hunter Wild's Modern uncovers bizarre reason why PC performance might be so bad. This is from Lewis Parker at Kotaku. Monster Hunter Wilde's performer. Honestly, chat if you don't know this story, I want you to throw your guesses in chat for what you think is the reason that the game runs in a poor manner on PC. Performance of PC has been notoriously bad going back to launch, and nobody is quite sure why. One new theory suggests part of the problem could be related to all of the game's DLC add ons and how it checks for them. It sounds wild, but video footage has made it one of the most convincing possibilities yet. Yesterday, user on reddit d Talmrand published a yeah, thank you, I should just steeze my way through most names published a rather lengthy post on the monster hunter subreddit titled monster Hunter Wild's bad performance mystery solved question mark. As they explained, they discovered the issue by mere chance after playing Monster Hunter wilds through a friend's Steam account. They immediately noticed that, even though they were using the same machine, Monster Hunter Wild's FPS was dramatically better when playing the game through their friends Steam account rather than on their own. After some testing, the user came to the bizarre conclusion the only difference was that their friend had bought all of Monster Hunter Wild's downloadable content on Steam. As they explained, on the account with no DLC, I got heavy and stable FPS drops down to like twenty and twenty five in the hubs, while on the account with all the DLC bought, it was eighty plus frames per second. So obviously this claim was hard to believe. But they built a tool I guess, to bypass the checks for DLC and it fixed it. So what the hell is this? Look? People already don't like DLC and micro transactions. Uh, you gotta fix this gap, com, you gotta you gotta do something here. This is awful. That's sixty frames because people, because you're checking for DLC and it's not there and you're freaking out. That can't be how this works.
Speaker 2: You only get a complete frame rate if the game is feature complete. Is that is that? The is? This? Is this like on disc DLC in reverse? If it's not there, it runs worse?
Speaker 1: Like what? What's what?
Speaker 2: That would explain why they put the DLC on disc all those years ago, if the game was gonna be choppy without it on there?
Speaker 1: Right? Yep, this is so weird? What a weird like? It could have been?
Speaker 2: Anything they think? First of all, like I said at the top of the show, the serendipity of the PC of minding community cannot be understated here. This is fantastic. But if this is true, or if there is any benefit to this at all, And I am not a PC gamer, so this is not my area of expertise, but I know weird bullshit when I see it, and this is some weird bullshit. I am genuinely curious if Capcom will even acknowledge such a thing rather than well, like would you?
Speaker 1: So that's the thing. So they're not yet because this is a Reddit post. This is random chuckle fucks, you know, talmrand. But that's that's the stage we're in. We like, apparently Digital Foundry is reaching out to these people and they're going to do some testing, and it's like, once that happens, well, first of all, we'll be able to well, they'll be able to do the exact testing. Their rigorous. They they know how to control for various other factors. There could still be various other factors that these people who just had this idea, had this hunch, did not control for, and maybe that changed things. So Digital Foundery will be able to control for all that. And when they come out the other side, if they say, okay, now it seemed like that was the problem, it's actually something else which is entirely possible, or they say, yeah, we were able to replicate this and it's the DLC. Capcom will have to say something once Digital Foundry is able to confirm it one way or the other.
Speaker 2: So further down in the story, there's a couple of interesting points here. The first one is this user to America or whatever's name is provided a video of themselves using a custom mod they created that bypasses the DLC checks right and that and that's what's made this going viral, So they kind of already have done that work and then this Tamarak Florida also says that this is not the first time they've done this. In Dragon's Dogma two in twenty twenty four, they contacted Capcom with an FPS fix, and they claim that that fix was then incorporated into the next patch. Could this just be someone on the inside acting like ready, like this is what's happened. This is to help us, please, I want to get some attention to this. This is a wild, wild story. I'm not saying anything yet though so far. Yeah. No, And I don't know that they even will. I mean, they just may put it in a patch and then if if it's patch, then will know that that that'll be them saying something if it ends up getting patched. But ultimately, I love when when motyrs and and gamers find weird stuff like this, like the Red de Redemption two story with the spiders that is fascinating me right now, the whole like mystery in there, and then stuff like this, or they dig in. It's kind of like data mining, but you're not data mining for like updates. You're data mining for why is this game broken? And then this shit happens. I love it so much.
Speaker 1: Yep, me too. I hope that this has a happy ending and they're able to like get this game into a state on PC where everyone's like, Okay, this is much better and I hope Capcom learns and never If this is the case, again not confirmed. If this is the case, that's the DLC causing the problem. Fix that that can never be the problem. Again, that's insane, especially we're a year out from this game coming out. Come on. I kind of hope it's just something else, but also it's this. It's an easy fix, right, and then the game just runs better. And that's the best case scenario. Is the game just the game that many millions of people have already purchased. Your game just runs better. That is actually the most ideal scenario. Yes, all right, Prince of Persia Santa speaking of data mining, Prince of Persia stands of time. Remake could be shadow dropped very soon. This is from my Nintendo News. So we've been talking about a recently. This is popping up again. It was rated by the ESRB. I believe this is the game that was rated by the ESRB, so could come anytime in the next six to ten weeks, could be longer, could be less. But yeah, usually that's about how long it takes. Well. My Nintendo News has this story the long awaited remake of Prince of Persia Stands of Time could be shadow dropped very soon by Ubisoft. The news was discovered via the newly deployed files in the staging website, with one of the files named game dash release dash tomorrow dot PNG. Yeah, well, doesn't this means the game could be shadow dropped and released on Friday. We will just have to wait and see what happens, but it would be a nice surprise if it does happen. You know that that could be the name of the file, and the file could be for a different date. So I don't know if it necessarily is Tomorrow Friday that this is happening. Sure, but it does feel like this game is imminent and it is going to appear any second now. And I guess the question would just be like, do they drop it on their own, like with a post on social media and a YouTube video? Do they wait for one of these showcases that should be coming up anytime in the next month or two. I don't know.
Speaker 2: What do you think seems like the kind of thing that would be inserted into a Xbox Developer Direct?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, wouldn't that? That wouldn't shock mean that that's still a week away.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm trying to think if other developer directs had third party stuff in it. I know they're heavily first party.
Speaker 1: Well they have, so they have that game partner, oh right, And I think that game is on PlayStation as well, so it's not like a third party exclusive or anything. It's not. I don't think Xbox is publishing as that is what I'm getting at. So I think that's a third party game.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, sure, So this could the game release tomorrow, could be Friday, the twenty third, right, and that's just goes it's called tomorrow because the graphic says tomorrow, like you, like you mentioned earlier. Yeah, it definitely seems like this game is knocking on the door, and it seems like it's been knocking on the door for a very very long time. And now that we're getting into the early part of the year's showcases, be it Xbox next week whenever State of Play decide whenever you decide to announce the state of play. That seems to be your job these days, or the Nintendo Direct. It does seem like a good thing. That would be a Nintendo Direct too, right like that, it seems like a good bitch to title to come out the day after a Direct. So yeah, we'll see. But yeah, if this is not out by let's say, March first, there's a problem.
Speaker 1: Yep. I really like Prince Persia stands a time. I'll replay this. Ubisoftis weird company in a bad way in a lot of ways, but I like Prince Persia's sands the time, So I'll check this out. People are pointing at this out and I yeah, I remember this now. Back in December when we were kind of like discussing the possibility of this game showing up at like the Game Awards and shadow dropping there. I think there was a story from Insider Gaming that's like, oh, the release date is January sixteenth, Well that is tomorrow, that is, so we'll see. Well, no, we'll just know because it will have to happen today. If this image that they have in here, this p ANDNG is useful off the trouble today and then say that it's coming out tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I will say you be self likes to announce their stuff at noon eastern nine am Pacific time, So this may happen while you and I are looking at each other. We'll see.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's let's see what happens. Everybody, all right, continuing on here, And by continuing on, I mean let's take a quick break. We have more headlines to come. When we get back, we'll get into all of those. In the meantime. If you want to skip out on these ad breaks, all you got to do is go to giant bomb dot com slash Join. There you can get add pre versions of the video show, ad pre versions of the audio show. In the meantime, we will be right back. We're back with Game mess Mornings. Jason Fonelli, Jeff Grubb. We're working on a new version. This is not an AD, this is behind the scenes stuff. Jans working on an updated version of the store ad. Everybody, we got we have more footage, So just hanging in there. It's going to be back and better than ever.
Speaker 2: All right. Can I do a quick update to the SMK story at the top of the hour, Coming in from a fellow on blue Sky named Spicy Sauce. I was an SMK moderator for six years, an official City of the Wolves discord for a year. This trailer made me step down. I don't slash. I can't promote a product that I don't support. Thanks all those years, friends, it was fun. And then they posted a screenshot of their discord message. Okay, I'm sorry, but I'm stepping down after this trailer. I'm thankful for what you guys did for us and all, but this is too much for me to deal with. This is against what I stand for. Of this done by agency or dev team. But if marketing side of the company wants to go this route, this is the station I want out. Take care of yourselves. I enjoyed my nine months with all of you. Godspeed, Spicy Sauce.
Speaker 1: That's well, that's It's just we're gonna be dealing with this sort of thing over and over again for the next couple of years. I think of companies just trying to see what they can get away with, and then decent people who do a lot of work having to stand up and be like this, this ain't me. I'm out. All right, Let's let's hit this a quick one that is popping off in chat that I didn't have time to add, Yakuza Kawami three and Dark Ties Details La La love Lah blah blah blah. Basically there there was a bunch of previews that went up for Yakuza Kwami three, which is going to be coming out here pretty soon. There's a bunch of new like mini games and and and of distractions in the game. I think they're also putting a bunch of new, old new, bunch of old Sega games in here that weren't originally in Kawami three. And people are saying game gear, and I'm looking for that. Let me see control f game gear, all right, here we go. Yakuza Kwami three brings back multiple fan favorite mini games from Bowling to Print Club for their first time in serious history Sega's classic handheld console, the Game Gear is playable in game, with multiple titles available, including the game Gear version of pac Man, Mappy and Galaga Galaghi Galaghi ninety one in cooperation with banday Namco Entertainment. At the Arcade, you can also cut loose with a treasure trove of machines, including UFO Catchers. As always emergency Call Ambulance and slash out. That's funny. I don't want to do emergency Call Ambulance. I have not played that in forever.
Speaker 2: Are they going to add that game you have to play for Blake Club? May You'll make it a lot easier for you, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just put Sonic Blast in there, everybody, I'll play it, and I'll play it in Kwami three. Oh boy, Okay, I think Kawami three is looking real promising. I'd you too.
Speaker 2: But then there was that one controversy with the one guy they brought back who's like a pest. It's like, I didn't hear this one one of the and chat can fill this in forma. I don't want to speak to the exact names or anything like that, but I remember seeing that one of the actors or whether it's appearance actors, voice actors maybe both, who's coming into the game is not a very not a very good individual. It sounds like they got into some trouble with some things. And again I don't want to fill in again, it's if you can an actor who's a domestic domestic abuser. Thank you Kman there it is so Yeah, that that part kind of colors it for me a little bit.
Speaker 1: But they won't even and they won't they won't address it. Okay, yeah, that's they want address it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's always something, all right, well, always every single time. Okay, let's continue on here with the headlines. We do have uh, Steam Machine verified requirements will have fewer constraints than the Steam Deck, says Valve. This is from Bryant Francis at Game Developer. As interest in valves recently announced Steam Machine continues to swirl, developers have had plenty of reason to wonder what will be needed to attract player interest on the platform. While the company still hasn't released a pricing info for the Steam OS based hardware, it has shed some light on its verification process and a new interview with Game Developer. According to Valve designer Lawrence Yang, developers hoping for a Steam Machine verified badge excuse me can expect fewer constraints than Steam Deck verification. One easy rule of thumb is that if you title, if your title is verified on Steam Deck, it will be verified on Steam Machine. Yang continued VR based developers using Steam Frame verification may expect a different process, though Yang said, Valve will be going through the same rounds of testing and providing developer feedback as it does for other verification programs. The steam Deck ver Verified badge has proven to be more than mere quality assessor while releasing games on Steam. It's also been a marketing beat. Basically, these games show up in great on deck on the Steam when you log into the store on your Steam Deck, which has been very important for games trying to find an audience. Same thing will likely apply here. And then in this case, you know, it's more powerful hardware, so already the verification is going to be a little bit easier. There's also like less concerns about, you know, the portable nature of small screen. You know, there's a check for the verification badge for steam Deck where it's like, hey, is the text readable on this seven eight inch screen? And that won't be something that they will verify for the Steam machine because that's going to be a completely that would be something they can't control for. There will be everyone will have a different monitor sit at a different, different distance away, so they just won't even check for that. So that's the kind of thing that they won't be going for here. Bringing this up mostly because Hey, I'm still wondering what's going on with that Steam Machine pricing. Wonder how people are feeling about it in this moment. We had those rumors of a price that were debunked, but they were pretty high. Now people are kind of going back, hey, maybe this thing could still be six hundred dollars. It's like, Oh, don't set yourself up for disappointment. How are you feeling about the steam Machine while we're in this weird in between period of the announcement and getting those extra details about when we can buy it and how much it's going to cost.
Speaker 2: I think anybody who was following the Steam Machine and also following the price of RAM should be very worried. I think that is. I mean when Nintendo is going and when they were talking about how the price of RAM might affect their choices going forward, and they are probably one of them. They're trying to be as family cost friendly as as they possibly can. With a bit of an asterisk, this should scare the hell out of you if you're looking forward to this. Honestly, I don't see in this current market how this launches less than like eight hundred, and that's like at a very low two hundred fifty six five twelve gigabytes storage with more storage top maybe like different models with different storage. It's I like, what's going on here? It just basically tells developers that if they can get verified for steam Deck, they just get verified for Steam Machine at the same time, Like there's there's there's less. If there's less constraints on the Steam Machine, then if you try to achieve Steam Deck steam machines shoul should have fall into place, right. It's not they should They should coincide very well, which makes sense when you because you're trying to It seems like they're trying to build a whole ecosystem, a whole Steam ecosystem, and if and to do that, you want the machines to be able to work together, especially with like cloud saves and cross play and things like that. I also like that there is a seam de verified badge, just kind of like bringing back the old Nintendo Seal of Quality. That's nice. I missed that. But ultimately, as to answer your question, I would be very I would start saving now, even if it's like a year away, because if you're not putting away four figures, assuming that the price of RAM does.
Speaker 1: Not drop you might Yeah, RAM is just not going to go down in price this year, no matter what happens. Yeah, So you talked about that ecosystem and it's like, yeah, they're they're kind of they really are presenting in a really clever way and the way that feels well thought out. Like you, they talk about in the story the Valve Steam controller puck, which is the thing where you could charge the controller, but also has its own I think two point four giga Urtz radio in there so you don't have to go through Bluetooth. And I'm like, oh, yeah, thank god. I'm at a point where pretty annoyed that we are stuck on Bluetooth as one of the primary ways to connect controllers to any device. And that's just because I've been noticing latency and connection issue issues depending on like where I'm sitting in a room and whether or not, like my kids walk in front of me. And it's like, oh, that's I don't want to have. That's terrible that two point four gigaherts did not have this problem for me really ever, and Bluetooth does. And it's like, oh, why did we stop? Like clearly we settled in on Bluetooth like standards. Before it was done, before it should have been in a place where it's or before it was in a place where it's like, Okay, it can handle any sort of situation we throw at it. It became a standard, so people continue to use it, But now it's like, oh, the lowest common denominator for Bluetooth is dragging the whole thing down and making it a bad proposition for a lot of these situations. When it's connected and you're sitting close, it's fine. It's not like you have the latency you have with audio. Like control input data is a lot smaller than audio data, but still, so anytime I feel that latency, it drives me crazy. So glad they have this puck. Glad they thought about that, and that that puck is like built into the Steam machine, like so you could just connect a controller directly to that thing. So yeah, they're thinking about all the aspects of making you happy. But if you just buy Valve hardware, the question will really just come down to the cost.
Speaker 2: And we don't And I think that's the only the only thing that's keeping it from potentially really getting into this market is how much it's going to cost. People are gonna think of it as a high end PC, right. I don't know if it'll be that high, like if we're talking twenty twenty twenty five hundred, but it's going to be up there. It is weird too that the you're talking about bluetooth, that kids can affect it walking past. Maybe there was five G in those vaccines after all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, they're their own five G signals messing things up. I think that's probably got to be it, all right. This next story is a rumor PS five pros big PS Big Pisser update. Yeah, big Big Pisser. The Big Pisser update, releasing by March, improves graphics and performance. This is from Robert Ramsey at push Square. If fresh rumors are to be believed, Sony's big PS five Pro update should be right around the corner. This is the Pisser enhancement that's been talked about for a couple of years now. The update will improve the AI driven tech, which already allows for better image quality without sacrificing performance in certain PS five games. If you've heard us talk about d LSS, this has been PlayStation's equivalent. This has been and they are working with AMD now to be like, oh, Sony's not gonna do a lot of the work. AMD is gonna do the work and make PSS are better. So here we go, lo better pisser. Uh yeah, I got you. This is a it's exciting, but I wonder how much of a difference it's really gonna make, you know, I always kind of get it in my head it say, oh, this could be could be like a five percent increase and frame rate or whatever and a bump to resolution, But usually the reality is some games are two percent better and some games are two percent worse. So I want to see what this looks like. At the very least, I want to see what AMD's input has accomplished here, and AMD and Sony working together could help them catch up a little bit to what is happening with the LSS, not that that's even an option on the PlayStation. But yeah, this is cool. I guess should we be expecting games to be running better here pretty soon? Jason, I don't know, what do you think one would? Hope?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the whole reason for the enhancement, right, But again, I think this is going to be a situation where first party games are going to benefit, and third party games are either going to not have a very noticeable change or may even suffer a little bit until they can catch up and update themselves. And that's not to say that PlayStation wouldn't be sharing their plans for this big piss or update with those third parties, but they don't know what they're dealing with until they have it in front of them, right and then we don't know if it's going to the dev kits first or if it's just coming to the entire ecosystem and they have to play catch up. I don't know that it's going to be noticeable on either end really to the to the layman. At least, this is an update for like us who follow this this thing as closely as we do. And even then it's going to be one of those things where the differences really show up in like a Digital Foundry comparison video, where you're not once you see it you're like, oh okay, but at first you might be like, I don't really know what the hell's going on here. I like that they're thinking about it. I mean, it's good that they see the LSS as a for lack of a better term, threat and that they are increasing their the size of their pisser with this update, but it remains to be seen whether the blue pill they plan to inject he will actually work.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, yes, exactly, it's time for that update. Here. The thing with the PS five Pro and with all this tech is the PS five is already good hardware and games desk stranding to last year was like I'm playing on the original PS five and it looks great. I kind of don't know what I would get from from the PS five Pro. And you would get higher resolution and may maybe some better performance. You would probably be able to notice it a little bit if you, especially if you were someone who sits relatively close to your TV. But we are like in deep diminishing returns for all this stuff, and I just don't know, like, do you have a PS five Pro?
Speaker 2: Are you not? I did not invest. I still have the launch PS five that I got SA in twenty twenty, and I think I'm okay with.
Speaker 1: That same Yeah, And I don't know that this update will change most people's feelings about the PS five Pro. The PS five Pro will continue to be like, oh, that's a premium thing for one out of every ten PlayStation freaks who just need to have all the best hardware because there is there's still not kind of like one compelling case of Oh, this game takes huge advantage of the PS five Pro and it's like I should get that so I can have the best experience. It's like, No is running pretty great on PS five. I guess does Does Grand Theft Auto six change that? Probably not. They probably make that make sure that game runs real well on PS five standard, right.
Speaker 2: I mean they're trying to make sure it runs really well on series s, aren't they, So they kind of have to include the base PS five and that if that game comes out and has any technological issues at all on any of the current consoles, they're going to hear about it. So yeah, I don't I don't think that they are going to make the PS five pro mandatory. It may get some nice bumps in frame rate or resolution or what have you, but I don't think it's going to be essential. Uh. And if they come out and say that, you know, it would be a very savvy marketing tool for Sony and Play for PlayStation and take two to kind of merge on this and be like, you know, this is what the PS five Pro will do for your experience, and then they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't think it. I don't think you get those people in the room and convince the majority of people to care about selling PS five pros versus selling copies of GTA six that will be ever ones priority there and chat pointed out, Yeah, Final Fantasy seven Rebirth did look noticeably better on PS five Pro, but that was like there was some like weird softness to the image or for Final Fantasy seven Rebirth on PS five that I feel like that eventually got updated a bit, but maybe not. Yeah, I still don't have a PS five Pro either. I probably am gonna go through this generation without getting one, which is weird for me, but that's just I'm not playing consoles a lot anyhow. I'm playing the Switch. I'm playing PC and playing Steam Deck.
Speaker 2: As they tried it as a tried and true console Star Wars for most of my life. I am finding that the invention of the portable PC it has made my Steam library grow exponentially. You could say it was its own big pisser update, just being being able to play those like with the Switch up in the living room while the kids are on their tablets in the morning or you know, get an hour in here or there. That seems to have benefited me. That's not to say I don't like my consoles. I still have Launch consoles, but the four consoles I have right now switch switch to Series X and PS five all launch or around launch window, so and they all still work just fine. So I don't see that changing anytime soon because I don't have to. I have other things to spend the money on.
Speaker 1: At the very least, I am going to continue being happy to see companies finding ways to make the hardware that some people and many people already have better in this time when it's going to be hard for a lot of people to justify upgrading to new hardware because it's going to get more and more expensive every single day. To that end, this is a little bit in that category. IOI lowers double O seven first light hardware requirements. This doesn't seem to be so much about like, oh, let's try to really optimize the game, although I'm sure they're trying to do that. Seems like that first batch of requirements were messed up and there was some miscommunication. At least according to IOI. This comes from Jake Valentine at dual Shockers. A week ago, io Interactive revealed the PC specs for Double seventh First Light. They were thankfully pretty forgiving and excess. Both the minimum requirements only need a Nvidia GTX sixteen sixty or and matched up with an AMD rise in five thirty five hundred. That's risin is, that's the CPU. So it's a little confusing, right with an Intel Core I five ninety five hundred K and AMD rising five thirty five hundred processor being like the minimum specs, I believe even the recommended specs are like just a little bit more than that. Everything seems to be pretty accessible. Given the price of PC parts today becoming more and more unreasonable, it's a breath of fresh air that we won't need to drop over one thousand dollars to play the game. So yeah, they originally had let's see the recommended RAM requirements. This is the big one because RAM is going up massively in price, and this was the game that came out and been like, we recommend thirty two gigabytes and might even be like to be like, you have to have thirty two gigabytes for the minimum specs. Both of those now are down to sixteen gigabytes, and they're saying six gigabytes of VRAM and eight gigabytes of ERAM forre recommended. So that's another thing where it's like people are having a hard time upgrading GPS already. They've been expensive for a while. They're getting more expensive, especially the ones that are gonna have twelve, sixteen, twenty four gigabytes of VRAM. People have a lot of cards that only have eight gigabytes of VRAM. I think people are at a point where we can only spend so much money on this stuff. Developers, you kind of maybe have to go back to targeting just a slightly lower spec and it needs to start with games like this one. And so, yeah, this is mostly good news. I think people are going to be happy to hear this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went from guaranteed to play this on a console too, maybe I can run it on my PC. And that was all in the RAM and graphics card change. I liked that they thought of this. I wonder if it was influenced at all by the fact that Nvidia is tossing around bringing back the three thousand series. I don't know if they confirmed they were doing that.
Speaker 1: I mean, they've always been making those GPUs, but it just sounds like they are going to double down on doing what they've already been doing there, and it's like, yeah, don't worry, we're going to keep making those and might even like kind of put them upfront and center. I guess I feel right that might not be like fully confirmed, but they never really stopped making the thirty.
Speaker 2: Sixty, right right, But like my twenty seventy, you'll get the job done, and that works for me. I don't have to upgrade anytime soon, especially I'm not that I'm the biggest Bond fan, but if I wanted to, it wouldn't. I am now no longer hard pressed. I am good to go, which is nice. I love the statement that they made the earlier mistake was to an internal miscommunication leading to an older version of the specs to be shared. Yeah. Older, as in before the RAM prices went crazy and they had to change them. I do wonder how much that's going to affect like visual fidelity and quality, especially if they weren't planning on going this slow. But again, I don't think that's going to be anybody who is going to be playing at these base minimum specs is going to notice anyway. You know.
Speaker 1: The other thing there that we haven't mentioned is this game did get a bit of a delay, got a small delay. It was going to come out like next month. Now it's coming out in May, I think it so everywhere. Yeah, it's coming out late May. So they got a couple extra months, maybe specifically to focus on optimization and make sure the game runs as well as it possibly can and runs better on lower end hardware if they can accomplish it. I think that's where a lot of developers should be putting their focus right now, is just try to sell your game on hardware that's already out there, not on any hypothetical thing that is coming or this idea that people will upgrade their systems to play your games. That's not in the cards for the vast majority of people who are playing PC games right now. And I think everyone wants to just take a deep breath and enjoy the stuff they have rather than trying to navigate this insane market of purchasing increase the increased price on RAM and stuff like that. All right, last couple of stories here, Ryan Hurst tapped to play Kratos in Ryan Videos God of War from Sony Pitcher Television and Amazon MGM Studio. Is this a guy that I think I recognized from Sons of Anarchy? Oh, b yes, that's that's what that's what was his name? His this image they have here and Sean, I don't know if you can bring that up for people to see. He's got the exact same beard as Credos in this image. It is literally identical except for the color. Would if they can die that it is what he also? Oh, he voiced or in Ragnarok the game. Oh okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's why I like this so much, because he's familiar with the franchise. Yeah, he's familiar with what's needed and he may consult. I can't remember his last name, Christopher, the guy who played Crados in yeah dandamn.
Speaker 1: Right, what the hell?
Speaker 2: Why can't I think of his last Christopher Stargate man. That's yeah, sure, that that seems right. But yeah, and for people ask Chris Judge, yes, thank you, there it is, thank you Judge. It is Dad Credos and not Pervy Credos specifically, they are Atreus is ten in this so I think it's following the story of the first game. Okay, I talked about spreading the ashes. It talks about that that sort of part in the description that was provided by Sony and Amazon. So we're sticking with the first game, which is interesting to me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting. I guess it makes sense, like you want to start in media res and sort of have flashbacks to like his life as the bad Krados or the less the less warm Crados.
Speaker 2: And like that, because the stuff that happened in that game probably is only you should only be referenced in flashbacks in some certain areas, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I hope they put up threesome as a post credit scene, of course, but they've Yeah, but like him just being violent and killing gods, they can flash back to that. They could even have an whole episode. It's like, here's the thing I did that like set up this moment that I'm now dealing with rip repercussions of either emotionally or in terms of the antagonist that I'm facing. And then yes, the real emotion will have to come from his relationship to Atreus in his deadfe And I wonder if they weave in the back the flashbacks with Fay from Ragnarok into the original game's story now and as someone points out in chat, if Debra and Wool from True Blood will reprise her.
Speaker 2: Role right that, Yeah, she was fantastic as it. There is one aspect to this that I did see that is sort of a disappointing from a cultural standpoint. Credos has always been voiced by an African American actor. Yes, it was Chris Judge and then the other guys. I'm really bad with names today, and part of me was sort of hoping that that was going to continue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there was like, there's no precedent here of it's got to be like, you know, James Bond looks like this, there's no president like that here, right, They could have done that and people would have to just there would be very little argument that people could stand on and the people and to talk about here are awful racists, Like that's still what I happened. But it's like they could have just like planted their flag.
Speaker 2: Now I agree, yes, but and that that part is disappointing to me. But I do have faith that Ryan Hurst will play the character faithfully and if he does a question, he will go to the people that he knows whether it be Corey Baurock or the studio who is He's involved as an executive producer as well. I also like that the director of Showgun and who's done a couple episodes of the Boys in Fallout, is doing the first two episodes of this series. That bodes well.
Speaker 1: That premiere. The pilot of Shogun is Oh that's choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, awesome. So this is cool. This, it's a cool, good cast thing. I am in on it. I just wish, you know, like I said, they may have continued on with the one part of the tradition. But we'll see, We'll see how he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ronald D. Moore is serving as showrunner.
Speaker 2: So uh, I said bal Rock not Barlock.
Speaker 1: You are not the first, won't be the last. Uh you probably want to be the first or last on this show. I'm sure I've said.
Speaker 2: If he takes up boxing, I am fucked. Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ronald D. Moore is you know he did Battlestar Galactic Gay I did he started his career, started his career, I would. I became familiar with him on Star Trek the Next Generation then I think he was integral to uh to Deep Space nine. So yeah, he's got a lot uh, you know Carnival, which god, he ran that show and I love that show. So that's that's a team right there, and they could do some cool snow, all right. The other casting rumor for a prime video show from Amazon, Sophie Turner as Lara Croft. Uh. They basically released a still what looks like a costume test.
Speaker 2: It's her first image, official image as Laura Croft. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's crazy. It's just that's just that's just Laura Croft. That's just straight up Laura Croft. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lock me in the freezer please. It's it's well done. It's very well done. And and if you know the story there was there was a story that came out not too not too far back, I think maybe earlier this week, about the training regimen she went through to become Lawa Croft. Absolutely insane.
Speaker 1: Good for her.
Speaker 2: I like Sophie Turner. I liked her as Santa Stark when Game of Thrones was good. She was fine in Dark Phoenix. I don't think that was her fault. So I like this casting. I like this idea, and I like she has she has the look. There it is and somebody pointed out I think it was Ash Parrish when Blue Sky pointed out the reason Lara Croft hasn't looked like Roorercroft and she's back now is the circle glasses, And damn it, there is something to that with. Without the circle glasses, it just looks like, you know, femme fatale heroine. But once you put those on, for whatever reason, Lara Croft comes through. This is awesome and not I mean, I was excited to watch this before. I always give all of the video game TV shows a chance, but they seem like they know what they're doing too. Amazon Man, Fallout, God of War is looking good. This is looking good. They seem to know.
Speaker 1: I think they get I think they've kind of unlocked it a little bit of like, oh, if we sort of just hit you know, the look, the feel, the sound, kind of get all that stuff right, and then we have a decent creative team that can put in a great story that does respect your source material, we'll probably have something and that they worked for Fallout for sure and still is yeah, still is, and theyund probably replicate it here. I just did like for audio listeners. She's got the red round sunglasses and really the classic Laura Croft look, the short shorts, the sort of the holsters for a gun on the thighs, that sort of thing. It's it's Laura Croft, It's crazy. M h. All right, that does it for the headlines. Let's go ahead and get on with the show. Let's do the poll question from yesterday. And by that I mean I need to pull up YouTube dot com slash at giant bomb. If you go to the post tab there, you can find the poll question and vote yourself. Yesterday, we asked, have you ever played an Echo the Dolphin game? There's those rumors of all those Echo I guess I don't even rumors. There's a bunch of Echo the Dolphin games coming. I wanted to know, Hey, does our audience have a lot of people who've played Echo the Dolphin? Fifty seven percent said yes, Forty three percent said now, that's not bad. That's a lot of people who've played Echo.
Speaker 2: You know why I think you got those results because the word played is there, not the word finished. That's how I was able to be Yeah, for sure. But like this story was so weird to me that it came out of nowhere yesterday, because I remember back on May fifth of twenty twenty five, I was writing a story about three Echo the Dolphin games that had been announced through the Xbox blog and through the Echo Dolphin website while sitting in my daughter's answer recital. But that's neither here nor there. And there was a countdown clock, and the countdown clock was supposed to be for April twenty second, twenty twenty six. I guess they got impatient. They didn't want to wait any longer. I don't know, but it was always three projects. It was Tides of Time remaster or a remake I think is it called, and then at least one brand new one. And I don't know what made them decide, hey, let's talk about it again. But the guilty gear comment got me. Sorry, but yeah, I mean, it just resurfaced again.
Speaker 1: It happened.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the story will come out, people forget about it, and it'll just resurface out of nowhere, and this was one of those. It jumped out of the water, just like a dolphin would do.
Speaker 1: But no, cool.
Speaker 2: If the games are good, great, If not, we'll just play them and forget about them, just like we did the other Echo games.
Speaker 1: Yep, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I hope that they are able to get this delivered and actually make it happen. It doesn't sound like it's part of the Sega initiative self, but it's like Sega's friendly with all these partner partners that they work with. Hopefully we can actually see it through. All right, let's see here, I have a new poll question. We'll get to that here in a second. Before we do that, though, Jason, I you tell people where they could find you on the internet and what you have going on and all of that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Jasonfinelle dot Com on Blue Sky, big Man Finelle, everywhere else but not X. I finally got rid of that shit. I couldn't do it anymore. So I am just Blue Sky and Instagram mostly.
Speaker 1: Every day is worse than the last day on Twitter, and that means every day is the worst day of Twitter. It's just impressive actually in some ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't do that. And as as Dan Fiasco real quick to go back Messu mentions in the chat the pick of Sophie Turner flexing to show her work in a pool, we need a bigger freezer to lock us all day. But anyway, but so yeah, I have a couple of articles for Giant Bomb Bomb Game Spot. I did a full gallery of the upcoming Magic Set pre releases or tomorrow. Cannot wait for those dopamine hits, opening those packs, playing and pre release That should be fun MMRPG. I write too. I did a looking forward to twenty twenty six preview of Phantom Blade zero, which is slowly raising up my most anticipated I like and I think we talked about this before. I like that they're trying to find this middle ground between a Soul's like and a classic you know, button masher where you press the buttons for different combos. You have eight different weapons, each with their own sorts of mechanics in fighting and stuff like that. The the the Wusha influence is strong, especially in some of the enemies, like the boss you fight in this demo. It's like a bunch of blade dancers and like this, they're doing this very choreographed dance. They'll attack you at once. The main dancer is your focus, but the other seven are feeding him life, so you have to kind of take them all out at once while all so focusing on the big guy. And then there's a second phase where they're doing like the rope that the Chinese kind of sort of rope date, so he's like swinging from the ropes and coming at you really really neat. I also really really liked this is a small thing, but it worked for me. I got to the second phase, died, went back to the checkpoint, and then when I got to the boss fight again, they were still in the second phase.
Speaker 1: I love that. Oh okay, interesting that I don't have to replay the whole boss fight. It tells you, Okay, that tells you a lot about what kind of game it is, all right, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so so I am. I'm very much looking forward to that. That's September, I think, right September ninth. That's exciting. And then yeah, just you know, posting about stuff on Blue Sky that makes me mad or happy or sad, all that good stuff. Got something coming up tomorrow on MMORPG. That'll be fun. Excited to talk about that something else I saw at Summer Games Fest. And yeah, I'll stop blabbing now. That's that's me baby.
Speaker 1: Oh that's uh, And go ahead blab anytime here on the show. That's why we have you new poll question. Are you going back to your animal crossing island in New Horizons the options here? Yes, No, I'm starting a New Island. No, I'm waiting for the next game. No, I don't play animal crossing. There you go, just cover most of you. I'm sure I forgot some of you. I got you. Guys all have your very specific needs when it comes to animal crossing. But that's what the comments are for. You can always leave a comment. We usually scroll through those as well. All right, that poll question will get answered and responded to, and we'll go through all of the results tomorrow here on Game Mess Mornings on Giant Bomb. Speaking of Giant Bomb, it's Thursday, so we're gonna be doing a voicemail dump truck later. Looking forward to doing that. Jan is out on assignment. Sean will be helping us with that as well, so yeah, looking forward to that. We'll also should have some quick looks going up here and there. We've been recording someone a little bit early, so they won't be coming out to like next week, but yeah, look out for those happening this week and next week, and then yeah, we'll be back tomorrow with another Game Mess Mornings. All right, Jason, thank you so much for hanging out with me to day to talk about video games.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure, looking forward to the next time, my friend.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching and listening. Oh yeah, we'll talk over that residentval thing today. That's today, right, five o'clock. We'll talk over that as well. All right, have a good one, everybody, take care of yourself. You the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.