Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome everybody to the Gary and Shannon Show Gas Weekend Fix. This is the extra podcast segment that you get every weekend.
Speaker 1: Do you have to have your hand down your pants? I mean, I know, it's the weekend. It's awful.
Speaker 2: You're painting a very bad mental picture for people.
Speaker 3: So funny that you didn't.
Speaker 2: Everybody else in the room knows my hands are up here.
Speaker 1: It's so funny that you didn't grow up around boys that did that. Like I feel like I grew up around boys that adjusted.
Speaker 4: I'm saying I don't adjust.
Speaker 2: I just know how to read the room and determine when is in appropriate time.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess I.
Speaker 1: Was read as a dude from go because well, I was not afforded the lady. Yes, the lady things that you afford at.
Speaker 2: Times, you you give dude, But there are also times when dudes don't give a They don't give a shit about who's around or who's saying anything.
Speaker 3: He said, he said a bad word.
Speaker 2: Right away market They just don't care. I mean, we know people like that. They don't care, they don't they don't see you as anything different. They it's not that they see you as a dude. I appreciate it also going to reach down and adjust.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I appreciate it, especially with football season. I appreciate just being one of the dudes. There's somebody on this floor, by the way who uh continues to do that as an adult in the building. You know, we'll just be uh working and he'll just have his hands squarely down there.
Speaker 3: Just live in its life living.
Speaker 1: It's resting there, not even like faking an adjustment, just like my hand is down my pants and that's comfortable for me, and that's fine for him, And like I love that, and I love it he's that comfortable around everyone here to.
Speaker 5: Just and then sometimes to have you need to have genital touching to be comfortable little. I don't know if you don't have to do that with your hands, I mean, your mining of.
Speaker 4: It is just as disturbing as if he were to walk in here with his hand and his joke.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's like hand on genitals direct contact. There's proba be underwear involved, but I mean it's warm your hand's warm, you know, and I get that might be cold.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: You very often goes the other way.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're gonna warm your.
Speaker 1: Hands, now you feel like you've just got fire between your legs.
Speaker 4: Fire is quite Uh, there was a time I had a shot.
Speaker 3: My god, I have to talk to you.
Speaker 2: But if you're if you're cold, if you're out in the wilderness, yeah, that's one of the things you can do to warm your.
Speaker 3: Hands, put them in your genitals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then you're uncomfortable because then you have everything else gets cold. But I mean that's a warmer spot of your body.
Speaker 4: Just like.
Speaker 1: My genitals are not warm like your genitals are. Like, I don't think that would.
Speaker 2: Work, Yes, it would. It's just an area where your body comes together.
Speaker 3: I want to try it so bad, but I won't.
Speaker 4: I'll look the other way. Go ahead, turned around.
Speaker 3: No, because I've done the armpit thing and that totally works.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: You have a thermometer in your purse or anything.
Speaker 1: That lent itself to so many jokes. So this diddy thing speaking of thermotors, Yeah, I find it interesting and I want your opinion on this. Where do you think it is our responsibility to talk about the details of this case.
Speaker 4: It's obviously people in the media like, yeah, like we have.
Speaker 1: We've talked about the story on the air. We've talked about the case, but we haven't had the conversation off the air like most journalists would do when they talk in this voice.
Speaker 3: It's very serious, yes, and you.
Speaker 1: Know the what responsibility do we really have as broadcasters to get into the details of this case? Is it for good for the public benefit?
Speaker 3: No? Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it helping us understand the legal system better?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Like? What benefit does it give anybody for us to talk about the details and the relationship between Diddy and his ex girlfriend who obviously there was abuse, whether it was consensual abuse or not, that is the question on the table. But why are we getting into those details? It makes me feel a little dirty because I think that we're better than that, Like if we can be entertaining without talking about the details of this trial.
Speaker 2: Three reasons now that thank you for asking a long question, because it gave me time to come up with three reasons why I think, and I would put a percentage on each one of them.
Speaker 4: I would say that.
Speaker 2: Seventy percent of what we would talk about is important because it is a realization that there are awful, awful people out there, and even celebrities that are held up as these ridiculously creative, well meaning, charitable entrepreneurs can be awful monsters at their core. I mean the stuff that is that Diddy is accused of and other people that we've seen, but the stuff that Diddy's accused of show that that guy behind closed doors is a monster in my opinion. So that's the seventy percent of why we would talk about the stuff that we would talk about, as as gross as it is or as titillating as it is, whatever, there's twenty percent of it that is like a cautionary tale, not just the yeah, he's a bad guy, but hey, here are some signs for you to look at in your own relationships with people that you may look up to that may be taking advantage of you or may go down that road. And then there is a there is a little bit and in all honesty tearing, the pulling the curtain bag, there's about a ten percent reason that that it's just purient, per pur purient interest that people want to know those solations they may tell you like and we get comments like, you guys, it's too you guys go too far with that, or it's too gross, or it's this, or it's that, or you know, don't do the don't do the death and miss dismemberment stories when you guys do True Crime Tuesday.
Speaker 4: But people listen to that.
Speaker 2: And I'll, in all honesty, I'm not saying that we say these things or the we get into the nitty gritty details because we know people listen to them.
Speaker 4: It's just a fact of humanity.
Speaker 2: Well, there's something in our in our brains, way down in the lizard part of it now that we want to we want to hear the I mean it's gross, we will stick around to hear the details.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You've made me feel better with your three pronged response. Why because I did feel like we were just using this awful stuff as entertainment. But but you're right, I mean to the first prong of your argument. It's kind of the Kanye rule. Years ago. We have a dear friend of ours who loves Kanye, thinks he's a genius, and he is.
Speaker 3: I mean he is.
Speaker 1: He's a creative you cannot argue that. But he's also a crazy pants person, insane to the detriment of people around him and people who aren't even that close around him.
Speaker 3: And he's we're all imperfect. He's gone through some stuff. Mom died.
Speaker 1: They're still dealing with that. And I don't know why he named that next album after her. She didn't ask for that, right, But like it's the Kanye role, right, And like most says it all the time, we don't know these people, we don't listen, and it's dangerous in this country, in every country. Really, it's just a human thing where we have heroes, and our heroes all too often are celebrities or sports figures. And again, they should not be given hero status because they're good at their craft, whatever that might be, because you don't know them. On the flip side, you don't know their personal relationships, you don't know what they're like in real life.
Speaker 2: They're all human, that's the part, the human part of it. Like we like to say that the heroes that we have in our hearts or our minds or whatever are lifted up on this pedestal and they can do no wrong.
Speaker 4: They've all done wrong.
Speaker 2: Every single one of them has done something that would probably embarrass them and make you like them life, and.
Speaker 1: How much of a role have we played in them being monsters? I mean, if you were constantly bombarded with the highlight reel that is Gary Hoffman, you two might turn into a monster or a monster adjacent. If you were constantly confronted with people pointing out your positive attributes, if you came in glad that you don't do that, I do the opposite for you. For you because I care about you. That's why I crap on you that it sounded like a freak off.
Speaker 4: I have to pay extra.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to do that, but.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you have.
Speaker 3: Using healthy boundaries.
Speaker 1: I'm learning from the Cassi Venturas story that that is a red flag one of them. No, but that not that that was involved in their story up until this point that we know. But honestly, like if you were confronted every day with like Gary Hoffman, you're you're so great, and you had people around you telling you're great, and you're constantly bombarded with alerts and texts like oh, you just won this award. You just you just you just made another two point one million dollars, Like everyone loves you, everyone loves you. You're needed here they want to see you here, you would become a freaking monster. I think it's it's a very hard thing for human beings to get that kind of adulation constantly and stay sane.
Speaker 3: How could you? I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder if I wonder if that's a societal thing. Yeah, I mean, but I mean the animal part of a society where no group wants one person to be elevated too high.
Speaker 3: But we do that to people all the time.
Speaker 4: But then we tear them down. Yeah, I mean that, like if.
Speaker 1: We lift them up just to tear them down, because we're monsters as well.
Speaker 2: Maybe not the greatest example, but look at Donald Trump. Donald Trump is a guy who a lot of people in this country want to just put on a pedestal.
Speaker 4: He can do no wrong.
Speaker 2: There's another segment of the population that thinks that guy's a monster and needs to be shown how much and everybody else needs to see how much of a monster he is, so they'll constantly talk about him in negative ways, whatever whatever that might be. And again, that's not necessarily the greatest example, but we as I I don't think it's a particularly American thing. I think it's a human thing where you reach a certain level of celebrity, and people want to find the cracks in your armor.
Speaker 4: They want to find.
Speaker 2: That little chink in the army that they can they can, you know, poke their finger into and make wider and tear it open and bring you down.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that makes them element.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of celebrities that have not succumbed to that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: That that that that we don't want to tear down. I'm thinking about females, thinking about like Dolly Parton. Everyone loves Dolly, Selena cut down in her prime, but everyone loves Selena. I don't see anybody going after these people chair females, let's see.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that is also an aspect of it, that it's a particular like that.
Speaker 3: But they've never given us a reason to tear them down.
Speaker 4: Blake Lively, on the other hand.
Speaker 3: She's a bitch, okay, obvious, but we don't know. I think I know that.
Speaker 1: I mean watching just interviews with her, and now I watch her movies and I'm like, she's a bitch in her movies too.
Speaker 3: She's just a bitch. I mean some of that.
Speaker 1: You can't act your way through your personality bleeds through and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I guess that's true. I just don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know culturally if that's a thing an aspect of other Like do Japanese Does Japanese society allow for people to be raised to a certain level, they become a certain celebrity.
Speaker 1: That's every Korean drama, every Korean drama, there's people lifted up as the family dynasty and then they're torn down really really dramatic and emotional.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you are you great entertainment.
Speaker 4: Your eyes welled up a little bit when you said that.
Speaker 3: You know, have you seen the Goblin yet?
Speaker 4: The what?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: You don't that a horror movie?
Speaker 3: No, it's a Korean drama.
Speaker 4: I have not seen that.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: I just think that we're part of the problem. We may be going back to my original thought of us of talking about this trial and giving it more oxygen.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but you're right.
Speaker 1: I do like the idea that we are telling people like just because you love Ditty or whatever doesn't mean he's a great person you love his work. Just because you love so and So's work doesn't mean you love them.
Speaker 2: A great example that that you could also say, is Michael Jackson, I mean, unarguably one of the greatest pop musicians right ever in the history of I mean, the king of pop, that's why they call him that, but had a dark, broken humanity to him that.
Speaker 3: Through no fault of his own.
Speaker 4: I believe. Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, you become an adult, there are certain things that you do that you know are wrong.
Speaker 3: We don't know that that happened.
Speaker 4: Okay, listen, I was about to call you a name. We don't know someone who is a just we don't know.
Speaker 3: But like, look at that. You don't know. You don't know what it's like to grow up like he did.
Speaker 4: Well, then how do we know what Sean Combs is?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: This is my point being there's an acknowledgment that people, as great as they may be, in one aspect of their life.
Speaker 4: I don't think production or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean, we don't need to re litigate this.
Speaker 1: But I don't think Michael Jackson had the emotional IQ to know as an adult that what he was doing was wrong. I don't think he ever achieved adulthood.
Speaker 3: I think did he did.
Speaker 2: Ritney Spears Britney Spears is a contemporary example never reached adulthood, right, Yeah, And that's I mean, that's an absolute tragedy because of I mean you see in her behavior. You're now she's not hurting people outside of her own kids maybe or just through neglect, but making an accusation.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Anything about how much time she's spending with her kids, but that kind of lack of maturity because of and like what you said, that lack of maturity based on you're bombarded with headlines and stories and accolades your entire life.
Speaker 4: You don't know how to deal with.
Speaker 1: Doing this with you and see what the result is. Do you end up in a room with a bunch of baby oil doing weird adult theater?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm going to start it though on Monday.
Speaker 4: I do have a question. Yeah, how much is too.
Speaker 3: Much baby oil? Well? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's I mean, never mind, can we turn this off?
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.