Speaker 1: Ben de Bow's Rockets Wire also done some work with us here Clutch Fans and also locked on Rockets. Ben appreciate the time. Should we expect that Rafelstone gets aggressive tonight moves into the back end of round one or do we not see the Rockets name tonight.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't expect it, but I think you should keep an open mind. I think that report yesterday from Kelly Eco over at Yaghoo Sports about the Rockets taking more of a wholesale approach to the roster and basically everyone not named a Men Thompson the team at least being willing to listen on in terms of deals, I think that's fairly accurate. So when you cast a net that wide, and you know how strong the top of the Western Conference is with the Thunder and the Spurs, you can't roll anything out. And the Rockets definitely have the types of players and future picks as well that could bring in a first round pick tonight. Not saying I'm expecting it, but you know when you hear them casting a net that why it would be silly to rule it out.
Speaker 3: When you look at the move for Gianni Santetekoompo and the report that came out last night by Scham's that Jalen Brown was a part of a package by Boston, And this is now the second time that Jalen Brown's name has been brought up as part of a package trade to move off and to bring in a premier player. Does that maybe peak interest for Rafelstone to call up Boston say, we understand that he's going to be a tough to move, but let me offer this package. If using the instgrid enough for you, let's go to make this deal and bring him on down here. Because if you don't want him anymore, we sure as I would love him in our backboard.
Speaker 2: I mean, if it was just Jalen Brown the basketball player, absolutely, I think the fear is Jalen Brown the contract in today's NBA, with the first and second aprons as restricted as they are, if you're giving out a deal that's like sixty plus million in annual value, which is what Jalen Brown's going to be at the next few years. I think it's three years, one hundred and eighty three million dollars left, You've got to feel really good about that guy being a centerpiece. Like one thing Rafelstone has done really well at his tenure is negotiate good terms on contracts. Shingoon is a flawed player, but to get him below forty million dollars a year is a really good deal. I'm sure they're going to try and do the same with Amn Thompson this offseason. So even if a guy like Jalen Brown is able to put up close to thirty points per game, if you're paying him upwards of sixty million dollars, that's a very high bar to clear for it to be worthwhile and to build a championship team around him. So that's why I'd be a little bit surprised if they go in that direction. And quite frankly, it's why it shocked me that that the Bucks went with the Miami offer, because I think the way the modern NBA is going, especially with the revised lottery odds for the drafts, quantity is becoming so much more important. You want more bites at the apple in terms of, you know, future draft picks opportunities and the lottery young players, and so you don't want to put all of your eggs in one basket like a Jalen Brown unless you are so convinced that this is the guy. This can be the number one or I guess the upperational on number two on a title team. I think he's a really good player. I don't know if he's quite at that level, and so I think that's the hesitation. It's not Jalen Brown the basketball player, it's Jalen Brown the contract. That's why I don't think the Rockets would bid super aggressively on him, and it's why it doesn't shock me that the Bucks went with the Miami deal instead of the Boston one.
Speaker 3: Let's just say that they did, though, and that they were aggressive going after Jalen Brown. What does that look like in terms of a trade package? Is it a hey, Alprin Shoon, a couple of draft picks, is it a it's a sign and trade to go get rid of, go get rid of one of our key pieces for the long term, like like Tarry Easton. What does that entail for both sides to walk away winners?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So one thing that's going to be different for the Rockets this upcoming season and really starting this offseason, they will have more salaries they can trade. What really put them behind the eight ball last year was being hard capped at the first apri and also the terms of the Fredends League contract extension or the restructure basically gave him a no trade clause last season. He will not have it this year. So for this upcoming year they won't be hard capped and they'll have three expiring salaries of significance Jorri and Phinneysmith, fredent Leet Between the two of them, that's almost forty million dollars, and then Clint Capella as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I think technically Capella has a small amount guaranteed for next season, but I mean you're getting close to fifty million dollars in expiring salaries there. So in theory you could make a deal work even without giving up someone like an all per in Shangoon and be in the ballpark financially for any big name. With that said, I do think that from an asset standpoint, you probably have to give up, you know, Shingoon and some of those future picks that you have from the Suns or the Mass something along those lines, just because it's got to be worth the while of the other team, unless it's like the Julius Randall trade of last night, where it's a balery dump. Unless it's something like that, the Rockets would probably have to give up one of their young core guys. And I just tend to think that Shingoon maybe reed Shepherd, Tarry Easton and assigned in trade. I think those are the more likely ones at the young core that the Rockets would part with. I don't think they would part with him in Thompson, and I also don't think they'd be willing to part with Jabari Smith. Not so much that he's untouchable, but I just think very young, great contract, and I think Jabari is a situation where he's probably more valuable to the Rockets than he would be in a trade. So I would say anyone not named himn or Jabari is in play. Not expecting it by any means, but I think if a big deal were to happen, that's what it might look like, at least from the standpoint of, you know, selling up someone from the young core that would have value to another team.
Speaker 1: Ben to both join us here on the morning job at Dan and Cole Sports Talk seven ninety Ben, I mean just talking about a couple of those names. As you mentioned, we understand while reports like this come out from a beinterest, it's agents whoever it might be, But what does your gut tell you right now when it comes to Alprin Shingoun and Kevin Durant. Are they playing together in twenty twenty six and twenty seven.
Speaker 2: So the smart money is yes, simply because it takes two to tango. But like with this team, I do wonder, and it's why I do think the Rockets will explore the market if it makes sense to get in better alignment, because I think if you're trying to win at the highest level right now, and the Rockets are a very good team. They've won fifty two games the last two years, but the Spurs and the Thunder each one sixty plus, So there's a tier that the Rockets have to go. And while getting Fred and Steven Adams back will certainly help, I don't think you can expect that alone to take the Rockets to the level of the Spurs and the Thunder. So if you're trying to jump up ten plus wins and compete with the best of the best next season, I think as currently constructed, there's a couple of primary issues. Defensively, it's hard to play Shinggoon and Reach Shepherd together because that's two minus defenders that you're trying to cover for. There's simply too much that the other three players have to do. And so if you can't play both of those guys at the same time for very long, it's going to limit your offensive ceiling. And then on the other end of the court, Aman Thompson and all for In Changoon right now, neither of them can really shoot beyond twelve feet or so. So if the floor is compressed, it's going to be tough to win at the highest level. We saw a big part of the NBA Finals how the Knicks took down the Spurs was having Karl Anthony Towns as they stretched five that could space the floor. So I think if you're trying to win at the highest level right now, you've got to question how that young core fits together. Now, with that said, the counter to that would be, look, these guys are all like twenty three years old or younger. It's entirely possible that over time, reach Shepherd, all for Ech and Goon, they get better defensively on offense, maybe Shinggoon or even a men eventually developed a three point shot like that's happened in the NBA Brooklope as the guy who entered the NBA fifteen years ago did not shoot threes at all, and now he's a marksman. It's rare, but it does happen. So maybe those types of players improve as shooters as the years progress. I don't think it's reasonable to expect that by the time they report to training camp in September, and so if they aren't, you know, if you're playing the long game and you're saying, even if it doesn't happen this year, we think these guys are young enough, we believe in them enough that in the big pitch, it's worth it to be patient. If that's the case, I'm not sure how much sense it makes to roster a thirty eight year old Kevin Durant who would probably have a market from teams that are more ready to win at the highest level right now. So that's why I do think the Rockets will explore they're not in a bad situation. They shouldn't make a bad deal just to make a deal. But at the same time, I think you've got to be realistic with this roster, and if you want to air on the side of the young core and giving them a long runway a longer period of time. I'm not sure where a thirty eight year old Kevin Durant fits into that if you can trade him for assets that are a little bit younger. And conversely, if you do believe in Kevin Durant and Steven Adams and Pregnent Leet and all these veterans, you can throw a Men Thompson into that mix as well, and you think, hey, we're a move or two away from really being able to challenge the top of the West right now that I don't know that the young wre at least for next season is the right fit. So I think those are the conversations that behind the scenes they've got to be having at Toyota Center.
Speaker 3: I do wonder is part of the problem depth with this team, because it felt like more often than not, how many times you were just looking at Hey, it's got to be Read coming off of the bench or Tari coming off the bench, and you'd be lucky if Josha Kogi was able to have a double digit game. But what really I felt separated teams like San Antonio in Oklahoma City was they had good depth. But is it more than just that, Like you can go ahead and expect to have back a hopefully healthy Steven Adams and that Fred Van Vlieve is going to be able to play at the top of the rim. But like, at the same time, what's the missing spark right now that would catapult Houston into that conversation of Look, we're not Oklahoma City, we're not San Antonio. But we know clear as day Denver, we're better than Minnesota, we're better than Los Angeles, and teams still have to worry about us because if we get hot, we're going to go on a roll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope it's deep. I think that's the easiest spot to upgrade. We heard Imo Jujoka say it after they lost Game six to the Lakers and their season ended, that they felt they had too many duplicates at the end of the roster. So there's sightings you can make. I think you should keep in mind that for the first time as owner Tillman, Partita paid the luxury tax last season, and they knew by the trade deadline that that team, especially after losing Friend and Stephen, was not going to win a title. The reason they paid the luxury tax was to keep these tradable salaries on the books, guys like Dorian Finny Smith and Clint Capella, who I mentioned earlier, So I think those are trade candidates this offseason. They paid the tax for a reason, so you could aggregate those salaries and bring in someone of significant stature to the bench. I think the two second rounds, you know, the second round and even the late first round, has really changed the last few years. With nil keeping more of the young guys in college basketball, you're seeing the second round have prospects that are a lot older because it doesn't make sense to declare early for potentially a non guaranteed contract. So these older prospects. I'm looking at some of the mocks that, for example, have brackets selecting Emmanuel Sharp out of U of H at pick thirty nine. That's someone he defends at a high level under Kelvin Sampson. He's going to be twenty three years old next season. Could he give you some three and d minutes off the bench that in the playoffs went to a jaschan Tate. Yeah, he potentially could. He might not have star upside, but in the short term, the second round picks are more ready to play immediately than they used to be because of the nil rules sort of changing the landscape and what it looks like. So I do think that between trade signing second round draft picks, you can fortify the depth for sure. However, to your point, I do fear a little bit that they need something bigger than that, because as much as you can point to Fred and Stephen coming back, look, other teams have injured guys coming back as well. The Thunder we're missing Jalen Williams for nearly the entire season. Him coming back healthy is going to lift them to another tier. So you can't just sit on your laurels and expect that Fred and Steven coming back it is going to fix everything. Because even if they do come back healthy and they're who they were before the injuries, other teams have their own injuries and those guys are going to come back as well. So that's why I do keep going back to the Rocket seem to be in a little bit better alignment. Maybe it's a roster that fits more cohesively together in terms of that top eight, top nine, the clear playing rotation, or from a timeline perspective, you know, maybe airing on the side of a little bit more youth than giving them a little bit more time to cook. I think alignment, that's what I'm looking for. Depth is a low hanging fruit. They can certainly address that, maybe as soon as tomorrow night when they had the two second round draft picks. But beyond that, I think there's ways that you can get the overall roster in better alignment to build for not just this season, but into the future.
Speaker 1: We can expect a busy and interesting off season, no question about it. So I suspect this probably won't be the last time we talked with you. Ben again. He's been to Bow's you can find his work with Rockets Wire. Also, he's done some work with us here at Sports Talk seven ninety Clutch Fans and also Locked on Rockets. They've been really appreciate your time this morning, and like I said, we'll catch up at the beginning very soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ben, Thanks for having me. Gus