Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company.
Speaker 2: Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy crap, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 2: Are get off our show, idiot, the kids are crying or turning off, crying or comforts are.
Speaker 3: Screwing it up.
Speaker 2: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play inter Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? Now?
Speaker 3: Here's nick Coffee. I feel like somebody in our programming department has set me up to look rude because I didn't sign off on that. I have no control over when my invitations go out, but I feel like inviting somebody at two fifty nine PM and fifty five seconds into the fifty ninth minute of the two o'clock hour is a rude thing to do. I mean, if I invite you somewhere, it's like, Hey, John, I've got I got tickets to a game. We're about to tip off. Do you want to come? I'm here court side?
Speaker 1: Like that's what that is?
Speaker 3: Right? Like? Why does that get you know? It's silly? Like I don't really care, but I care enough to where it's distracted me to start the show today.
Speaker 2: I think it would come off better if it's said coming up next on Sports Talk seven ninety instead of today at three on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Like it's just a waste of a five second spot, Yeah, because like it serves no purpose. Right, I'm here already like five seconds away from the show actually starting, So again it's a wasted invitation. And again I think it's rude because I've just extended an invite in a chipmunk voice that they have processed and sped up to make me sound like I'm a thirteen year old here on the air. But anyways, apologies, I can't control it. So if you're here, thank you. I guess you didn't need an invitation. You just knew to be here, So thank you. It's Coffee and Company. We are fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Nick Coffee, That is me the company man, mister John all on alongside today as we take you up until six o'clock. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio Web Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. Did you get stuck in traffic too? I did, and it was not fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, there were four different four I counted them, four different fire trucks on the side of I sixty five north, right in front of the fairgrounds. And I would I mean, I assume that they had cleaned up a wreck, but like they're just just tailgating, just tailgating out there on sixty five just yet is everybody's hanging out? I mean, I'm sure they were doing something really important, much more important than what I'm doing. But like it never like it's it's one of those really really silly things that I can't control that it bothers me this much. But whenever I'm when I'm late, and I wasn't really late.
Speaker 1: I was here on time.
Speaker 3: We were both here on time, weren't late, but we said in traffic, I don't know, i'd say that probably added would you say, maybe fifteen minutes to our community about which you know it's not you know, it could be a lot worse than that, right, But you know it's not that I want to get up to the to the where the traffic ends and everything's open. I'm not I'm not up there looking around hoping to see somebody in an accident that might have, you know, injured them seriously or even worse. It's not like I'm rooting for that. I don't want that, at least I don't think I do. But whenever I end up sitting in traffic and you know, you got all the you end up getting past the jam right where they've got all lanes closed but one, and then you get up there and then you can finally get through when you don't have When there's when I don't see what kept me from getting to where I needed to be at the time I wanted to be there, I just feel like I've been I don't know, like I've been robbed. So I don't know what happened, but it did cause a delay, and that you know that that stinks you probably it probably it probably doesn't. It probably doesn't even like you don't even think about that, do you know?
Speaker 1: I was I was just a me thing. You know, I was bothered today.
Speaker 2: This doesn't bothered me every time I see it, But whenever I just, like you said, want to be at a place at a specific time, trying to get ahead of the game. That type of thing, and then it feels like I'm just wasting my time the way that I saw those four fire trucks there. Who again, they had something, they were taken care of. It was clearly already done by the time you and I got up there. Yeah, I don't know about that though. You're just gonna trust that. I'd like to convince myself of that to keep it from being more pissed off about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're, look, you're you're on the right track. I'm I'm I'm being petty here, but you know, like, how do we know about it?
Speaker 1: Because it did look like they were tailgating there. They would just have so many of them too.
Speaker 3: And again, in all seriousness, there's no way they would have done that if there wasn't some kind of an incident. But I didn't see an incident. I just know that I was fifteen minutes later than I needed to be for reasons I'll never know now. Last time I asked for a reason. We later found out that somebody had jumped off of an overpass and that's why the entire interstate was closed. So I don't think that that happened today, But if so, that's you know, really sad, and you know, thankfully we made it here on tom and hopefully everybody drops safe and there's no accidents, there's no traffic and people can get where they need to go, all right, So rarely what I want to start off with a Monday night football recap, which we're not going to do. I mean, it was interesting to see last night Rogers make his debut with the Jets and actually play the whole game before ending up, you know, hurting himself like he did last year, which is really crazy that on nine to eleven he runs out there, what three plays into the game, he's down and you know, misses the entire season. We actually found out yesterday that Netflix, I guess, followed him and covered his recovery from injury, which I'm sure that'll do numbers, because you know, that kind of stuff does really well in the streaming world on Netflix. Documentaries and they do that really well. I mean, I feel like as far as the new fresh stuff that hits Netflix. You know, maybe it's just my personal preference, but like they do documentaries, whether it be a series, a mini series, or just a you know documentary special, they do those really well. But like I can't think of something I'd rather watch less on Netflix than Aaron Rodgers behind the scenes stuff. But hey, there's clearly a market for it. I mean, Pat McAfee has ESPN paying Rogers an insane amount of money to come on a show each week so he can talk about you know, COVID not being real and all that kind of stuff like that Rogers typically does. But anyways, last night a very you know, interesting result. No McCaffrey, but no problem for the Niners, as they ended up winning without much trouble. And it was a guy that a lot of people, myself included, had never heard of that became the talk of the evening the first Monday Night Football all the game, the first Monday night football game of the season. It was Jordan Mason who stole the show. He filled in for McCaffrey, ended up having one hundred and forty seven rushing yards with a touchdown on twenty eight carries. And you know, McCaffrey's a special, special player. I think we all know that, but last night was one of those nights where you got a wonder Okay, is it more about this offense and the play calling and the balance that makes I mean, that's not really the case, and mcaffrey's been good everywhere he's gone. But it was a really impressive showing from the Niners overall to be without their best player and really have no problem with the Jets. Now, maybe that says more about the Jets than anything else, but nonetheless, Jordan Mason was the star, but he's probably in the doghouse with some of the brass within the forty nine ers organization. Did you see what he did last night?
Speaker 1: John?
Speaker 3: I did not, so after the game, he was he was asked when he found out he'd be the starter. Now, I was at my son's football practice yesterday at like seven point fifteen, and I got the notification that McCaffrey was out because he's resting his achilles. He's had injuries really pretty frequently. But he's out. He's not gonna play. So you would think that, like, man, they were gonna give it a go, they were going to try to see if he could go. Oh but man, he's out there on the field and it's just not right. So they're going to hold him out. Obviously, first game of the season, you won him healthy. He's an MVP caliber player. Well, when asked about when he found out that he would be starting. I think Jordan Mason gave an honest answer, When.
Speaker 1: Did you find out that you were going to be starting? Well, not find out maybe Friday, Friday night, you know what, something like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think he's not even thinking about what he's supposed to say. He's just giving an honest answer, and visually it almost looks as if he's kind of curious why they're even asking that, And in all seriousness, I don't think that's like an unusual question. But I don't know if every sideline reporter would have asked that. But then again, maybe because he's like most people have never heard of him, he's nept. That was his first ever time starting a game in the NFL, so maybe it is a normal question. Like I don't I don't believe that the sideline reporter would even be thinking to try to set him up. But regardless, she asked a question, he gave an honest answer, and by giving the honest answer, it's sounds like he revealed that the Niners broke a rule, because you know, if in fact, they knew Friday and they didn't announce it till till today, then you know that's that's not something you're supposed to do. I mean, I'm trying to figure out the exact Yeah, it says here that if what he said is true and they and he found out on Friday that he was that he was going to play and McCaffrey was not going to be available, the Niners would have broken then NFL rule by listing him as questionable with the chance of playing despite not that not being the case. So this is where it just gets like we talked about this not that long ago, if you remember John, because they're the SEC is now requiring teams to do the same thing and provide an injury report. Well, the NFL does that obviously, but you could always get around it, can you not, like.
Speaker 1: Just by being as late as possible with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you can like he could say that he he he found out Friday that he might be playing because McCaffrey was questionable, you know what I'm saying, Like you could always give yourself an out to where you could get away with lying because you can.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know they don't need the full we don't need as you know, the peons of the NFL viewing we don't need to know the full truth until absolutely necessary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, whenever you are in bed with the sports books and you've got people you're consumers of your product, you are in you are telling them to bet on these games with all these sports books that you that you partner with, Like, that's part of the NFL business now right there. I mean, you can bet on games at the NFL stadiums in certain instances, depending on where you are. So, I mean, I don't even know what legal action there could actually be, if there is any legal action that could be taking place, but like they do at least need to give the perception that they care a lot about this, right they need. So I don't even know what kind of punishment they could realistically give the Niners for this, because again, I feel like the Niners can just say, yeah, we told him Friday that he might be playing, he might need to be available, and he might start, but that's because we thought at that time that McCaffrey was still going to be listed as question. But like you could, there's no way to prove that unless they just decided to completely own up to it. So it's an interesting situation for the NFL because I'm not really sure what they could do to truly hold the Niners accountable, if anything at all, other than maybe just like giving them a reprimand. But you also, you know, you have to, you know, if somebody was mad that they made a wager. And by the way, this is where it gets tricky. I have a buddy of mine who he was on one of the sports books, and John, I mean, I'm just gonna tell you it's circa. I mean, it's not shod thing. I mean, hey, that's your you know, I'm you just turn your mic off because that's your that's I'm not getting trying to get it. I'm not trying to give away your money here. But I'm just saying, like, if what they did is is is legit here as far as you know, avoiding the entire parlay because of McCaffrey, like that's just you know, in fact, let me see exactly what it is they did here because he mentioned it and I thought, you know what, that's that to me seems Yeah, So they avoided the Christian mcain jaffrey legs of a parlay, but kept the other legs open. The other legs ended up hitting, but they avoided the entire bet. And by the way, it was not it was not Circa. I'm sorry, it was Caesars.
Speaker 1: There we go. So Circa is good.
Speaker 3: But that's I mean again, you should you should pay that as a like let's say it's a four leg parlay and two legs involved McCaffrey, you should void that and they should get credit. And clearly the juice is going to be different because there's not as many parlays, but like you should adjust that and honor that as a two leg parlay, right or if it's a parlor, I mean, I don't know how you would do it. If it's like a strip, like avoiding the whole bet like that's that's that's where somebody might have wagered a lot of money. And again, if they avoided the bet, they get their money back. They're not keeping it. But yet, you know, you just got to be mindful of that because this is where you are now in the NFL. You aren't technically like a sports book, but like they're affiliated with you in a major way, and you make money from the money that the sportsbooks give you to be embedded within the National Football League. So it's not a huge deal. It's just an interesting revelation here because I don't know if we've been in this position before, and I'm sure there's a lot of people that you know, if you are out there gambling for a living, I mean, God bless you, but like you know, some people could have really financially been impacted by McCaffrey, you know, not playing, and yet the league and the Niners probably no deep down that if they were truly going to hold like if they were truly like you know, a lot of tector tests kind of stuff, if you've got like somebody, I mean, again, this is all silly, but let's just say the NFL made it to where there is somebody at every practice that is there to make sure that, like you're being honest about what's going on with your injuries, Like that would be overkilled. That would never happen. But like, if they did that, then I believe that McCaffrey would have probably been listed as out for the game four days ago rather than you know, an hour before kickoff. But he was asked about it after the game in the press conference. What you just heard a minute ago was actually on the field. But here's what he had to say. Uh, when asked about it in the press conference afterwards.
Speaker 1: When did you find out that you'd be in the starting lineup? That question right there is where I'm at.
Speaker 3: Uh, That's why I don't like really talking to media, because you say one thing wrong, and Dan, you're the media's fault. I don't know, just skip that question. I mean I kind of feel for the guy because I don't think he did anything wrong. He's just green and naive, and a lot of players, certainly guys who might have actually had a bunch of starts under their belt as an NFL player, might have done the same thing and just answered on his question because this is I mean, you're thinking that's a harmless question. Again, as I mentioned earlier, when he's asked on the field, he kind of seems a little bit like taking aback that that question was asked. Not that he was bothered by, but like, uh, I don't know, like maybe Friday like he just that wasn't what he was probably expecting to be asked. But anyways, I just thought that was I thought that was interesting. Also, I'm just gonna say it, guys, the Manning cast is back, and I'm just wondering how, like how long can this be good? Like I've always felt like, as much as I believe Peyton Manning is awesome, very funny, could be an actor, like he's great and I'm a fan and I'm biased, but Eli has actually been the dude who just got made fun of all the time for being, you know, having always having resting bitch face and looking like he hated life and just looking like he had less than one percent of the personality is that his brother had, and then since retiring, like he's funny, he's sarcastic, like I think he's great. So I love these guys. I just don't know if this is gonna if this is that sustainable. I'm sure it is because last year, you know, I found myself at times really wanting to listen to that for a good chunk of the game rather than the actual live broadcast. You could put the most interesting and most entertaining people in a show just like the Manning cast, and I would still naturally want to hear the live announcers because that's just how I've watched games my whole life. So I'm always gonna go back and forth. But like, I don't know, like I guess because I'm not as much of like a I don't nerd out for football like some people like, you know, I love football, and I think I know enough about the talk. I know enough about the game to talk about it, you know, somewhat intelligently. But like when they're talking about the predicting plays or describing what happened, that just doesn't really interest or entertain me that much because I don't think I'll ever need to know that kind of stuff, right, Like, I'm not you know, if I learned something thing cool, But I'm worried because I love these guys. And last night they had a man, Adam Sandler on who I Love by the way, one of my favorite actors of all time, and he claims that he jinks Aaron Rodgers and caused that interception that he threw. But like, I just I don't know. I mean, it wouldn't shock me if this thing kind of loses its steam a little bit. Now, there's no point in not bringing it back because it was such a big hit. Clearly there's there was enough viewership for it. They've got sponsors, and if you are a celebrity and you get invited to, you know, jump in on this broadcast wherever you are, which a lot of celebrities have, like you'd be foolish not to because I mean, it's a huge platform, But I just I don't know, like, because it's so non traditional in regards to like actual a broadcast, that's what makes it intriguing. But at some point, I feel like a lot of people are gonna want to naturally go back to hearing somebody call it like it's just we've watched games the same way forever. What they're doing with the Manning cast is different and it's cool, but I just don't know if it's gonna be the go to for a lot of people. And I am saying that as somebody who loves the Manning's probably more than most, Like Peyton Manning's my favorite player of all time. I didn't really have an opinion on Eli until he retired, Like he's funnier than Peyton Manning on this in my opinion, Like he's he's kind of got like that childish little brother humor that actually that actually works. Have you ever watched much of it?
Speaker 1: John?
Speaker 2: I haven't, And I was gonna ask you, what do you think the target demo is for that specific great question broadcast, because I feel like most younger people like myself that are watching the NFL aren't watching the Manning cast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say it's probably you know, just a just a rough guess. I'd say thirty and up. That'd be my guess, because it's crazy, is that, like Peyton Manning has been out of the NFL for ten years now. I mean that's I mean, that's crazy to say, or nine years, I should say. And you know, if you are somebody that is, like, you know, I'm sure you you're you know John Woody twenty six now twenty seven, twenty seven, So like you remember Peyton Manning playing.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you know it wasn't And again I also wasn't as into the NFL back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so again I don't look trust me. I'm not bringing this up to like act like it's overrated and it needs to go away. It's just I'm curious, as I watched it last night, I'm just curious, Like am I am I in the minority that actually, even though I love these guys, I just naturally when I'm watching a game, especially if I'm into it because I've bet on it, which, by the way, the parlay did hit last night. I'm just I'm gonna want to hear somebody giving me the standard typical duo that is somebody on color, somebody doing play by play, like who is the Money Night Football crew? That was the worst because they went through I mean, they've got it right now with Buck and Aikman. I mean, those guys are, in my opinion, the best. But before that, it was Joe Tests, who just you know, I like Joe Tests, but I get why a lot of people don't. Booger McFarland was on it, Lou Riddick I think at some point, and man, Jason Witten did it for maybe a year.
Speaker 1: He was terrible.
Speaker 3: So like they had a rough little stretch there where everybody agreed, Like man, money in football just does not feel legit anymore because you don't have those legendary voices like when Mike Turico did it for so long with Gruden. That was great and they had that run for a long time. But all I'm saying is you could put the worst group out there. You know, let's say Booger and Witten and you know, Joe Tests and Brian Greasy I think is a part of it, Like let's just say that was still the crew. I think I would find myself leaning more towards listening to that traditional then listening to Manning and Manning. Whenever they're not there at the game, they're not giving you actual, you know, play by play. They're just kind of, you know, goofing off, which is funny, it's entertaining, but I don't know, I'm just just curious, just throwing that out there because I think a lot of people like it, But like, do you actually like when you're watching an NFL football game, like, for example, last night, if you're a Colts fan or you're a Titan span er, a Bengals fan, and you're watching that game and it's a big game, are you even thinking about going to the Manning cast because they're kind of, you know, lightly discussing it and you know, it's just different.
Speaker 1: Just just just curious.
Speaker 3: I'm sure some people have already texted in, probably telling me I'm an idiot. The Manning cast is great, or maybe some people are agreeing with me. I'm not sure, but just so you know, if you want to be part of the show today, you can. You can give us a call five oh two, five to seven one seventy nine hundred is the number again, that's to call in five oh two five to seven one seventy nine hundred. You can also text in on the L and N Federal Credit Union text line at five oh two six five three zero seven ninety A lot to get to today, No guests schedule. Well, we are going to have a giveaway. We've got tickets to give away, and John, I gotta tell you, I feel honored to be given away what we're giving away this week? The rest of the week today through Friday, we're given away tickets to see Brooks and Done.
Speaker 1: No, that's all, are you?
Speaker 3: I mean, come on now, Brooks and Done. I mean I've given away a lot of things on these airwaves, some cool stuff, some random stuff. We've given away money, I mean not my money, but you know, the company money. But today I'm giving away tickets and again it's the rest of the week. Brooks and Done. Baby, they're gonna be here in Louisville on April twenty sixth. And how about the supporting artist David Lee Murphy.
Speaker 1: You kidding me?
Speaker 3: Might be a little dust on the bottle. John, you know that song that's a classic. I got a hot take, and it's a hot take about David Lee Murphy that I'm sure not a single soul on this planet would agree with dust on the Bottles not his best song. We'll talk about that later, but anyways, coming up at five point thirty, we will give away two tickets to see Brooks and Done at the KFC Young Center April twenty sixth. It is their Neon Moon tour and I'm gonna be there. I mean, I can't take these tickets, but like, I'll get tickets somehow because I got I mean, that's probably I'm not even exaggerating when it comes to going to see any musician in an arena, because I'm not a big arena like I concert guy, it's just not my thing. I like artists and whatnot, but like consciousness really aren't my jack. Yeah absolutely, but even that at times feels a little too much for me. Like I just live music is just not my jam, like you know it is other people's no pun intended, but you know, a humongous crowd of twenty two thousand plus at a concert just gives me a panic attack thinking about it.
Speaker 1: But I would do it.
Speaker 3: I'd suck it up for Brooks and Done because they are. I mean, they're legendary talking Ronnie Done kicks Brooks. Come on now, I mean, who.
Speaker 1: Else is opening other than David Lee Murphy. It's just them?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, they got enough songs they could play for you know, they don't need an They don't really need much of an opening act, you know what I mean. I mean, David Lee Murphy's just there to get you kind of eese into it exactly. I mean, I'm excited. I mean, this is America. If you don't like Brooks and Done, get the hell out. That's the way I see it. Just my thoughts, you know, just sharing my thoughts, which is what I'm supposed to do on the show, which I'll do the rest of the way. All Right, some things we'll get into. With no Louisville football in action this week, that's a real bummer. As I said yesterday, I really feel like the season hasn't actually started yet. But it's okay, your top twenty team, you are still, i think, among many other teams realistically in the hunt for the playoff. And you can say that now and it not be crazy, because again there's twelve teams they get in and not for that's not me predicting they get there. But with it being a bye week, I'm gonna throw out at least try my best the rest of the week to throw out some really impressive stats about Louisville football. And I know some of these stats have come against teams that don't matter Austin p Jacksonville State, but still, like there's I think it's safe to say, although we didn't learn a whole lot about this team given the opponents they played, momentum, the vibes are still good for louisvill football and even though it's a bye week, we can still we can still celebrate and be excited about this season. Also, the Tyreek Hill bodycam arrest video is out, and man, it is not saying the situation is exactly because it's really not. The situation between Tyreek Hill and the situation that happened with Scotti Scheffler is not the same. I mean, both guys did obviously get themselves in trouble and we were waiting on bodycam footage to kind of see what happened. That's similar. But what I mean is the reaction because of how divided we are in this world in this country, I should say we didn't need the bodycam video. We didn't need it because if you if you were just looking to be you know, as some people I'm not saying this, but some people call them boot lickers. Like he could have said that the officer had bo and you would have said that it was justified for Tyreek Hill to be pulled out of his car and thrown in front of ongoing traffic. But if you're somebody that you know thinks that every cop is a tyrant, then he could have been you know, he could have pulled a gun on the guy and you would have defended him. Like nobody really needed to see the body cam footage. You knew what you were going to react with regardless, you knew, and that's just I hate that that's where we are, but that's where we are. So it reminded me exactly of the reactions were similar in my opinion, because again, you're not thinking for yourself. You're thinking and reacting based off of what you think your party in, what you think you're you know, hope, you know, the leader you hope to lead this country. How would react? That is the way, And we're all sheep, I mean I'm not because acting for myself. But I'm also not into politics and I'm not here to speak, you know, to preach about politics, but like I will look, listen, observe, gather information, and make an opinion for myself that I don't care if anybody agrees with or not. Didn't that used to be how life was? Isn't that how life used to be? Now you don't think for yourself. You just feel like you have like a standard you know you're supposed to just side with. Because that's what I mean, it's it's it's sad to be honest with you, and I hate to get so worked up about it, but that's that's Yesterday was just sad for me to see and like people that I know and that I love are like that too on both sides, So like I didn't, I think I didn't need for them to watch the body cam footage to get to know what the reaction was gonna be. I knew, and I know everybody listening right now knows somebody with the exact same way on both sides of it.
Speaker 1: That's just where we are.
Speaker 3: Also, when it comes to Kentucky football, I mean, it ain't it ain't good man. It ain't good. You got the big dog out there. Vince Marrow going back and forth kind of with fans who might be, you know, encouraging John Sumrall to come back to Lexington and get Stoops and his band out of here. I mean to my behavior from Vince Marrow on Twitter. And he's a made man. They're giving him credit for Jasper Johnson committing to Mark Pope crazy right.
Speaker 1: So he's a maid man.
Speaker 3: He got a raise last week, Like this guy is untouchable in Lexington. But man, like, stay off Twitter, bro, likelet'll be going back. I mean, like, who's to gain from that? It just makes you look worse. So again we're loaded today.
Speaker 1: Stick with us.
Speaker 3: I'm yelling, I'm fired up. I don't know if that's good or not for the show. But well, I'll calm down. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety great song, great song, not even a top ten Brooks and Dune song, though this is probably my favorite Brooks and Dune song. Look, there's a lot to choose from.
Speaker 1: There is a lot.
Speaker 3: I mean, what about Neon Moon. I don't know if you's good? You can't beat Neon Moon.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a reason the tours in the after it, right, Yeah, I mean it's great.
Speaker 3: I mean I mean even like one that probably is not nearly I don't know, it's it was a later hit for them. When I say later, I mean, you know, much later than when they really became a big deal in the nineties. But like Red Dirt Road, you kidding me, like, yeah, that's a good one. I mean, they got a lot of good ones. And if you're wonder where we're talking Brooks and Done, it's because we're going to give away tickets this week the rest of the week. Our first giveaway will be at five thirty some Louisville football trivia, So you might want to brush up on your Louisville football trivia if you want to be the winner today. I'm going to try to get creative as best I can to give these tickets away differently throughout the week, but we shall see. It is Coffee and Company we are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety again. Just got confirmation today that our fine folks over at Thornton's have once again decided to be the title sponsor for this show. You know, partnerships mean a lot to me obviously because you know, not to sound so self centered, but when somebody is going to sponsor this show and you know, make their business with us at iHeart, specifically through me and my show, I mean obviously that helps me. It makes me look good. But like that's a partnership. And for them to now be going into year number this is the fifth year, is that right? Yeah, twenty twenty one, two three, Yeah, this will be the fifth year that they've been the title sponsor for this show. So quite literally, I am fueled by Thornton's, not just coffee and Company. The previous name of the show was The Red Zone. But Thornton's a big part of my brand here with seven ninety and I really do appreciate them, Kelly, Alex, everybody who's been involved over there through a page. I want to make sure I give all the I mean to everybody involved, even like the people who work at Thornton's when I go there that you know now under like it was wild the first one, when the one opened near where I live, John, you know which one I'm talking about. Yes, that's one of the newer locations. You know, I'd been going in there pretty frequently at that point, even though they'd only been opened for a few months. At the time, we did a remote and I showed up and the manager was like, you're here all the time, and I'm like, yeah, it's a true you know, like even if I even if I wasn't fueled by Thornton's within the show, I'd probably still be there because you know, I love Thornton's and there are kids and this is this is uh, this one. This actually shows how effective marketing can be with this type of partnership that we have with this radio show. But you know, there were people who would come up to me at tailgate with like their little kids, and their kids would say, he's the Thornton's guy. I mean, it's not like every kid did that, but there were There's when twice that that's happened, because especially when I was on in the mornings, there would be people who, you know, their morning commute would be with with with my show, and they'd be taking the kids to day care, to school or whatever. And I've had some people tell me that they don't like whenever their dad listens or their mom listens to uh in fact, we had when we moved into our neighborhood. That was the first thing that the girl, like little girl across the streets said to me, is that that her I think she might have said her grandmother, which I wasn't expecting that and maybe her dad listened to me. And I was like, oh, thank you so much. I appreciate it. Just like, actually, don't like when they listen to you. I'd rather listen to music than listen to you. And I'm like, well, I get it. You're seven, you know it makes total sense. But anyways, big, big thank you to Thornton's. I really do appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Again, you know that.
Speaker 3: It's something that doesn't happen very often, to be honest with you. I mean, obviously, you know you've seen partnerships and sponsorships within radio shows that do last a long time. But you know, if Thornton's came to me after two years and said, hey, we're gonna you know, we're gonna mix it up and do something different, maybe we'll revisit it in the next quarter or the next year, like that would have made total sense. But they have been loyal and I can't tell you, guys how much I appreciate Thornton, So I never get tired of people, you know, bringing or making the you know, references to Thornton's and you know, yeah, if there's a reason that, you know, you feel like at times I overdo my love for Thornton's. This is why, because they've been loyal to me, and they've been loyal to the station in the show, and I really do appreciate that. All right, So you want some random impressive stats about Louisville football, I got you courtesy of Kelly Dickey, the U of L statistical guru. Louisville has extended with their victory and their three and out first possession on defense, they've extended streak that I think is really impressive. Louisville, for twenty straight games has held their opponents scoreless on the first possession. That's a three and out, not a field goal, no touchdown. Twenty straight games. When your defense takes the field, that's impressive. Now, again, some of that even goes back to the previous regime, right and Louisville, of course did have a really good defense. Some guys playing on Sundays now from that defense is Sirrabdulah YAYI diabi, So I just I mean that again, Louisville's defense last year was the strength of this team. It didn't seem like it at times. And I think because of Brom and all we know about Brom and his mind offensively and his calling card being lighting up a scoreboard. I think the defense was really impressive last year, and when it was in, the offense wasn't great. I almost feel like some fans, myself included, didn't give the defense its fair shake. Now they fell apart late last year, there's no way around that. I think they got a little too gassed. I think they failed to make some adjustments. I think that's why you heard Ron Englishould be pretty outspoken in fall camp about how he thinks last year some of the defensive issues were on coaching and maybe lack of adjustments at the right time. Schematically, So never take your defense for granted, because if your offense is struggling to put points on the board for you know, a half or three straight possessions and yet your defense has only given up three in that amount of time, your defense is doing the damn thing. And last year, Man, there were a lot of games like that. For Louisville, where the offense really could not click, at least not consistently, and the defense continued to give the offense opportunities to to win the game. So shout out to the Louisville defense. And again depth is seemingly in a really good place. I hesitate to really just you know, overdo it. And maybe it wouldn't be overdoing it, but like I could, I could rave about this defense for the whole show. I mean, that wouldn't be good radio, right, I don't think anybody would.
Speaker 1: Want want that.
Speaker 3: But if I did it, I would also find my self thinking, wait a second, Nick pumped the brakes here, brother, because they played Austin p and Jacksonville State. And I find myself having to remind my having to remind myself that here and there, because I I mean, looking at who they play doesn't change what I think this team can be. I just feel so left out, Like because we haven't played we got a bye week now and we actually haven't played a real game yet doesn't mean we're not good. Heck, we may. We may end up learning that this Louisville team is better than we thought they'd be. But it's just impossible to know at this point, and usually by the time you get to mid September, you know something. And right now again I feel pretty good. But we haven't really learned anything about this team just yet, and we won't until September twenty first, which again that's I mean, that's four weeks into the season if you count week zero. All right, it is coffee and company. Feel about Thornon's herero On Sports Talk seven to ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. Also want to let you know how much I appreciate the Jefferson Animal Hospital because if you have a pet, I'm sure you rarely ever think I mean, by the way, pet human. If you're a parent, like you don't nobody thinks about emergencies happening, right because you know that was I mean, if you're just sitting around expecting in any moment for an emergency to happen, like that's that's obviously not ideal, right, but you should know if emergencies do happen that you have a plan. You should have a plan, and I'm telling you what your plan should be, and that is to reach out to the Jefferson Animal Hospital if there's ever, anything that happens with you doesn't even have to be an emergency. Just know that they're there for you in case of an emergency because they've been open year round, twenty four hours a day since night. I mean we're talking since nineteen nineteen eighty, forty four years. Jefferson Animal Hospital and Regional Emergency Center has been serving the Louisville community since nineteen eighty. They've been open twenty four hours a day, that includes holidays, weekends, Christmas. They got a doctor on site that can help you in the if you're in need of their services due to an emergence. Any day, any night, any ship. Jeffson Animal Hospitals dedicated doctors and staff have you and your pets covered in case of an emergency. But again, as I mentioned, does not have to be an emergency. You can schedule an appointment for any time, any day, any night, or walk right in. They save lives every day and they're very proud of the great work that they do. They're opening again twenty four hours. That's not something you see very often when it comes to services like an animal hospital. So they're on the outer loop. They've been there for a long time. I'm sure you've seen their location, and if you want to give them a call, you can do it five oh two nine hundred Pets again five oh two nine hundred pets, or you can visit Jefferson Beets dot com. All right, real quick before we get to our next break. Last week, I had one of those moments, and we did have somebody call in, and you know, maybe they were just having fun with the show, or maybe they were being serious. But occasionally I'll say something on the air and then I'll think, like, man, if somebody just tuned in at that time, that would have not been ideal. That would not be great for that to be the first experience they have here with us on Coffee and Company. And it was when I I was going back and forth about but hoole Tech and butt crack state. I got it right, didn't I? You did get it right, And I said, you know, I should have just stuck with one. And then I kept mixing it up and I said, I got greedy with the butt stuff, and I was thinking, oh, somebody tuned in at that time.
Speaker 1: It's bad.
Speaker 3: I think I think Hugh Freeze may have have me beat here. So Hugh Freeze Auburn head coach. He was on a radio show in Alabama and they're playing New Mexico, who sucks out loud this weekend. And by the way, they need to win bad. They're coming off a loss to Cal meaning Auburn is imagine tuning in when Hugh Freeze. You don't know what he was asked, but he was asked about what the playbook's going to look like, what their offensive strategy is going to be, because you know, you don't want to show a lot in that game, right Jeff Brown didn't show a whole lot in the games against Jacksonville State and knowledge to be because you don't want to give your opponents game film of what you're really going to do in games that matter. So this is that game for Auburn. So he was asked that question. But imagine you didn't hear it and you just tuned into whatever this Alabama station was and you heard Hugh free say these words. I can promise you the package will not be big. It's tough, tough, I can promise you. Like again, context always matters, but sometimes the funniest things ever are because things are taken out of context. But yeah, just like I can promise you the package will not be big. No man ever wants to utter that and not have the context added because a lot of people, you know, perverts, I suppose myself included. I don't think I'm a pervert, but yeah, like when I just and again, I only see this because unnecessary roughness. Barstool Sports is college football podcast. You know they're having fun with that, right. I can promise you the package will not be big. He means, he means the he means the playbook guys, children grow up, grow up, Thank you, John, tell them to grow up. All right, we'll be right back. We're going to grow up during this break and be more mature and professional the rest of the way. It's coffee and company. I feel about Thorton's right here. On Sports Talk seven ninety, let's talk a little more about the Tyreek Hill arrest video that has been public as of yesterday afternoon, yesterday evening. I'm notrely true. I saw it last night, but I don't know when it came out. But we now have the police report that that has been you know that that was written up on Sunday as he was apprehended and cited for speeding before playing in an NFL game. The arrest slip says he was speeding at an a visual estimation of sixty miles per hour. Who started saying it was one hundred miles an hour. I think it was one of the cops that that was. That was you could hear on bodycm throwing out that, and they didn't even they didn't even clock him, because we should rely on visual estimation and not you know, the tools that are out there to you know, give us an actual speed.
Speaker 2: So again, i'll that's just like whenever they exaggerated Scheffler and dragging the police.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know, unfortunately these incidents that do become national stories and there's clear evidence of officers just telling us something and we're supposed to believe it because they're visually Like you know, when you have tools that can prove and be transparent what you're doing and you don't use them, good luck getting people to just assume you're going to be honest, right, I mean, nobody comes on when Scheffler allegedly dragged a person, which he didn't do at all. And again I thought Roman said it best if they had anything and if they believed that he actually dragged that officer, you'd think they'd be dropping charge as hell. No, and even if he was speeding, it's a simple traffic stop. So like for those out there claiming he was reckless driving like going one hundred, I don't know where one hundred miles an hour came from, but that's what people were running with initially, and like that just wasn't true. Even the write up doesn't alledge of that by the officers who you know, in my opinion, let their emotions get in the way of them doing their job, which is the same thing that happened with that guy whose name I've already forgotten, but you know, pants got.
Speaker 1: Ripped, I forgot. I wanted to add some of those to our soundboard.
Speaker 3: Ye, and it's gracious anyways, real quick, no time left here in the three o'clock hour, But I do want to get to this text because it's a good one. And I did a little digging as best I could during the break. But somebody on the text line, the Llen and Federal Credit Union text line, has asked, have there been any transfers that Louisville lost in the portal that so far this year are really performing to where we feel like we miss them. And I'm paraphrasing, but I think that was initially what the question was. And don't I don't think there's anybody out there that I have seen that is putting up big numbers that you're like, man, I wish we would have had this guy. The only one I can think of, and I think it's worth mentioning is Kevin Coleman, the receiver who was with Dionnet Jackson State, came to Louisville last year and did make some plays. I mean, he was somebody that you know, I thought, you know again, He's another example kind of like for being honest, kind of like Amari Huggins Bruce Nobody wanted to see him leave. He's a fine player, but like all things considered, you could understand why they left last year. Kevin Coleman for Louisville and pull up his numbers here last year get twenty six catches for three hundred and sixty two yards and two touchdowns, and I remember both those touchdowns thinking, hey, we should target that gap more. He looks pretty good and he was really good by the way for Dion at Jackson State, and I think he was one of I could be wrong here. I think he's one of the few guys that was highly recruited but decided to go FCS to Jackson State to play for Dion so at Mississippi State, which is where he is at now in the SEC, and they stink out loud, but he had He's had nine catches for one hundred and ninety one yards and two touchdowns, so he's already yeah, he's already matched what he did touchdown wise in two games for Mississippi State. So again that could be Again. Missippy's, by the way, sucks. I know they're in the SEC, but like he may be getting those opportunities in those reps to perform because they're they're roster's not as good as Louisvilles and that, you know, that might shock some people because they're Mississippi State in the SEC, but like, let's be real, they're they're terrible. They lost to Arizona State, who last I checked, was picked to finish dead last in the in the PAC twelve. I'm sorry, the Big twelve. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Two more hours left, a lot more to get into, including I've got to let you guys here an SEC analyst who actually does radio down in Louisiana. He had an epic rant about Kentucky football and their fans accepting Mark Stoops's mediocrity, and I thought it was It was really well done and funny, by the way, So I want you guys to hear that. Also, five thirty an hour and a half, we're giving away two tickets to see Brooks and done, so stick with us. Two more hours to go right here. Coffee and Company feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety