Speaker 1: Welcome to another deep dive, and this time we're tackling something that's been making headlines way too often. Ransomware. You know, I'm a little nervous about this one because we're diving deep into Windows Ransomware Detection and Protection. That's a whole book by Matt Davidson and Niddish Nund And let me tell you, just skimming through these excerpts, it's pretty intense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a real wake of call. These authors. They don't sugarcoat anything. They've seen how devastating ransomware can be firsthand.
Speaker 1: You know, I used to think ransomware was just about like some loan hacker and a basement, locking up your files and demanding money.
Speaker 2: Right, almost like a Hollywood movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But this book, it pays a much bigger picture. Right. We're talking financial losses, operational downtime, and the possibility of companies going bankrupt after an attack.
Speaker 2: It's scary stuff. And what's even more alarming is how ransomware itself has evolved. It's not just about encrypting data anymore. Attackers are stealing it too, using the threat of leaking sensitive information to us. You're victims into paying up.
Speaker 1: Oh, Yeah, like that case with JBS Foods. They mentioned in the book, the Sodinokuburvil group hit them with a massive ransomware attack and just walked away with eleven million dollars. That's a lot of stakes.
Speaker 2: That's the point, right. Attacks are becoming increasingly targeted. They're even hitting critical infrastructure. It's not just your personal files at risk anymore. It's about disrupting essential services. So understanding how these attacks happen that's crucial.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the book uses this term attack vectors, which I gotta say sounds a little intimidating. What are those exactly?
Speaker 2: Okay? So think of it like breaking into a house. You could pick a lock, find a hidden key, or even smash a window. Each of those methods, those would be an attack vector, a path that an attacker uses to gain access to your systems. Got it?
Speaker 1: Okay? So what are the most common entry points for these ransomware attacks.
Speaker 2: It often starts with something deceptively simple, like compromise credentials or phishing emails. You know those emails that trick you into clicking a bad link or opening it in face to attachment.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I know those all too well. I almost fell for one a few weeks ago. It looked exactly like an email from my bank exactly.
Speaker 2: That's why awareness is so crucial. Phishing attacks are getting incredibly sophisticated. Once attackers gain that initial access, they start moving through your network like digital ninjas, looking for vulnerabilities to exploit. They try to establish a persistent presence. Think of it like setting up back doors, and then finally they execute the payload, which is the actual ransomware that encrypts your data.
Speaker 1: It's almost like a military operation with different phases and objectives.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to think about it, and this book it does a great job of explaining those phases in detail, especially when it comes to Windows environments.
Speaker 1: Right, So, what are some of the specific vulnerabilities that attackers target in Windows?
Speaker 2: There are a lot, but this book highlights a few key areas, things like Citrix, ADC, Microsoft Exchange, fortin Net, POLSEVPN, even Sonic Wall. These are all systems is that if they're not properly configured, can provide an opening for attackers.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about having these systems in place, it's about making sure they're properly secured.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and The problem is these vulnerabilities are constantly evolving. Attackers are always finding new ways to exploit weaknesses in software and hardware. That's why staying informed about the latest vulnerabilities is so important.
Speaker 1: So where do we even start with all of this? It feels like a never ending battle.
Speaker 2: It can feel that way, But there's a fundamental shift in how we think about security that can really help, and this book dives right into it. The concept of zero trust.
Speaker 1: Zero trust. That sounds pretty intense.
Speaker 2: It is a big change. It's about moving away from that old way of thinking where we assumed everything inside our network was safe. Instead, zero trust says we should verify every user and device every single time.
Speaker 1: So no more trusting just because something is inside our network perimeter.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's like having a security checkpoint at every door in your house instead of just relying on a lock on the front door.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that analogy. But how do we actually put zero trust into practice? It seems like a pretty abstract concept.
Speaker 2: It's not just theory. This book breaks it down into five key pillars that you can actually apply in a real world setting.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's hear those five pillars first.
Speaker 2: There's identity, making sure we know exactly who was accessing our systems and that their credentials are secure. Then there's device ensuring that only trusted and compliant devices are allowed in.
Speaker 1: So it's not enough to just have a username and password. The device itself needs to be secure exactly.
Speaker 2: And then we have the network environment pillar, which is all about segmenting our networks to limit the spread of an attack. Think of it like compartmentalizing a ship. If one compartment is breached, the entire ship doesn't.
Speaker 1: Sink, right, It's about containing the damage.
Speaker 2: Now for the application pillar, which focuses on securing the applications themselves, ensuring they're not vulnerable to attack. And finally, there's data, protecting the most valuable asset of all. This involves encrypting sensitive information and controlling who has access.
Speaker 1: It's like a multi layered defense system with checks and balances at every level exactly.
Speaker 2: And this book argues that zero trust it's essential in today's threat landscape, especially as we deal with increasingly sophisticated ransomware attacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, makes sense, So how does zero trust actually translate into practical steps, especially for Windows users?
Speaker 2: Well, for starters, Windows has a feature called attax surface Reduction rules or ASR rules. These rules are built into Windows ten and later editions, and they are a fantastic way to harden your endpoints against attacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm intrigued. Give me an example of what these ASR rules can actually do.
Speaker 2: They can control which applications are allowed to run on your system, restrict access to sensitive folders, and even protect against exploits that attackers might use to gain control.
Speaker 1: It sounds like they're putting up roadblocks at every turn.
Speaker 2: They are, and the best part is they're built right into Windows. This book goes into detail about setting up ASR rules using Endpoint Manager, which is a powerful tool for managing security settings across your organization.
Speaker 1: So they're not just for like tech savvy users. Anyone can implement these protections.
Speaker 2: That's the goal, make security accessible and effective for everyone.
Speaker 1: I like it. The book also mentioned some additional protections like Microsoft Defender, Application Guard and Credential Guard. What are those all about?
Speaker 2: Those are designed to protect against attacks that specifically target your credentials. Application Guard it basically isolates untrusted websites and files in a secure container like a virtual sandbox, so even if they contain malicious code, they can't harm your main system.
Speaker 1: It's like giving them a safe space to play without causing any real damage exactly.
Speaker 2: And Credential Guard takes a similar approach, but focuses on protecting your log in credentials. It uses virtualization based security to prevent attackers from stealing passwords and other sensitive information even if they manage to get onto your device.
Speaker 1: So even if they breach the perimeter, they can't get their hands on the keys to the kingdom.
Speaker 2: That's the idea. It adds another layer of protection.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is all starting to come together. We've got our perimeter defenses with zero trust, and now we're layering on additional protections like ASR rules and credential Guard. What else should we have on our radar when it comes to protecting our Windows end points?
Speaker 2: DNS filtering is another important piece of the puzzle. It's like having a security guard at the entrance to your network, checking everyone's ID before they're allowed in.
Speaker 1: But how does that work? Exactly? I mean, isn't the Internet just a bunch of websites?
Speaker 2: It is, but every website has a unique address like a phone number called a DNS name, and DNS filtering basically blocks access to known malicious websites by checking those names against the list of bad actors, So.
Speaker 1: It stops you from accidentally stumbling onto a dangerous website.
Speaker 2: Precisely, and it can block a lot of malicious traffic before it even reaches your computer. This book highlights the fact that over two hundred thousand new domains are registered every month, and most of them are malicious, so having that extra layer of protection can make a big difference.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how much is going on behind the scenes that we don't even realize it is.
Speaker 2: And there's another powerful tool built into Windows that we need to talk about, securing PowerShell.
Speaker 1: PowerShell that sounds familiar, but I'm not exactly sure what it is.
Speaker 2: It's a powerful scripting language that's built into Windows that administrators use to automate tasks and manage systems, but unfortunately, attackers can use it for malicious purposes too.
Speaker 1: Oh no, another double edged sword, you got it.
Speaker 2: That's why securing PowerShell is so crucial, and this book gives some practical advice on how to do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm all ears, what are the key things we should be doing to protect ourselves. When it comes to PowerShell.
Speaker 2: Enabling logging is a must. It helps track suspicious PowerShell activity so you can investigate if something fishy is going on. You can even use a security information and event management system or see them like Microsoft Sentinel to monitor those logs and alert you to potential threats.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a security camera recording all PowerShell activity just in case you need to review the footage later exactly.
Speaker 2: And speaking of reviewing footage, there's another protocol we should talk about, securing the SMB protocol SMB.
Speaker 1: That one rings a bell, but refresh my memory.
Speaker 2: SMB is used for file sharing in Windows networks. It's how you access files on a shared drive, for example. But older versions of SMB, especially SMBv one, are outdated and vulnerable to attack.
Speaker 1: So what do we do about that? Just disable it altogether if possible.
Speaker 2: Yes, this book has specific constructions on how to disable SMBv one on different versions of Windows. It's a relatively simple step that can significantly improve your security posture.
Speaker 1: It's incredible how many things we need to consider to stay secure these days.
Speaker 2: It is. And there's one more concept I want to introduce that might surprise you ol BAILES, which stands for Living off the Land Binaries and Scripts LLLBS.
Speaker 1: Now that's a mouthful. What is that all about?
Speaker 2: It basically means that attackers are using legit intimate system tools, the ones that are already on your computer to carry out their attacks. They're blending in making it harder to detect their malicious activity.
Speaker 1: So they're using our own tools against us.
Speaker 2: Exactly. They might use something like PowerShell or a system utility to download malware, execute commands, or even steal data. It's a stealthy tactic that's becoming increasingly popular.
Speaker 1: That's seriously sneaky. So how do we even defend against that.
Speaker 2: Well, awareness is key. Knowing that this tactic exists is the first step. Then you can use tools like cisman to monitor for suspicious use of these legitimate binaries.
Speaker 1: Sismon tell me more.
Speaker 2: It's a free tool from Microsoft that monitors and logs system activity, including the use of system binaries. So if an attacker tries to use a legitimate tool for malicious purposes, cismin can catch it and alert you.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a detective on your computer or watching for any suspicious behavior.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it, and the beauty of Cisman is that it's very configurable. You can fine tune it to monitor specific events and alert you to specific threats. This book even provides some example configurations that you can use.
Speaker 1: This is all incredibly helpful information, but I have to admit I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. There are so many things to consider.
Speaker 2: I understand it can be a lot to take in, but don't worry. We're going to break it all down into manageable steps. And remember, the goal isn't to implement every single security measure out there. It's about finding the right balance for your specific needs and resources.
Speaker 1: That's reassuring. So we've covered a lot about securing our Windows end points and understanding the tactics tackers use, But what about protecting our actual user identities? I mean, that feels like the first line of defense, right.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, and that's where we'll pick things up. In the next part of our deep dive. We'll delve into the world of multi factor authentication, strong passwords, and other essential strategies for protecting user identities in the age of ransomware.
Speaker 1: Okay, can't wait, all right, So let's dive into protecting those user identities. This feels especially crucial now that so much of our lives are you online.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and this book it stresses that multi factor authentication, or MFA, it's non negotiable. It's surprisingly easy to set up and incredibly effective at stopping attacks.
Speaker 1: I've heard it mentioned a lot, but honestly, I'm still a little fuzzy on how it actually works. Can you break it down for me?
Speaker 2: Sure? Think of it like this, MFA is like adding an extra lock to your front door. Even if someone gets their hands on your house key, they still can't get in without that second lock.
Speaker 1: So it's about having multiple layers of security for our accounts.
Speaker 2: Exactly. With MFA, you need to prove your identity in more than one way. So in addition to your passwords, you might need to enter a code sent to your phone, use a fingerprint scam, or prove a notification on a trusted device.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. So even if someone steals your password, they can't get in without that second factor, right.
Speaker 2: And what's great is that this book walks you through setting up MFA using Azure ad Conditional Access, which lets you manage it all in one central location. They also talk about the Windows NPS extension for Azure MFA for those using radius based authentication on their on premises systems.
Speaker 1: That's good to know, especially for folks who might be dealing with a mix of cloud and on premises systems. But what about passwords themselves? Any tips on creating those super strong ones?
Speaker 2: Here's where things get interesting. This book actually challenges those traditional password complexity rules that we all kind of grew up with, you know, the ones that force you to use uppercase, lowercase numbers and symbols.
Speaker 1: Wait, really, I thought those were like the gold standard for password security.
Speaker 2: Turns out, it's not so much about complexity as it is about length. The longer your password, the harder it is to crack. I think passphrase is easy to remember sentences or combinations of words. The book even suggests checking out the nord pass list of common passwords. It's eye opening to see how easily weak passwords are cracked.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll definitely check that out. Knowledge is power, as they say, But what about managing all these long pass phrases, especially within an organization? Active directory is still the king for that right.
Speaker 2: Yes, and for good reason. It lets you enforce password policies and monitor for brute force attacks where someone tries to guess passwords by trying tons of combinations. This book explains how to do that in both active directory and to azure AD.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about having strong passwords, it's about having the systems in place to manage them effectively.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and there are some really advanced tools out there too. The book highlights azure ad Identity Protection, or a DIP. It uses machine learning to detect risky sign ins, like someone logging in from an unusual location or advice they've never used before.
Speaker 1: It's like having a security guard for your logins, always on the lookout for anything suspicious.
Speaker 2: A very smart security guard. The book also suggests taking some additional steps, like restricting Internet access to your domain controllers and disabling non critical services. Every little bit helps to reduce your attack surface.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've covered a lot about securing Windows endpoints, protecting user identity, which is clearly a huge deal. But what about email that feels like a major gateway for these attacks.
Speaker 2: You're hitting on a crucial point. Email is often that first line of defense, but it's also a prime target for phishing attacks, which is how a lot of ransomware infections start.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm pretty good at spotting phishing emails, but sometimes they are just so convincing.
Speaker 2: That's why it's so important to understand that different types of phishing attacks and how to protect against them.
Speaker 1: Okay, what kinds of phishing emails are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: Well, some use malicious domains websites that are specifically designed to steal your information. Others spoof legitimate domains, making you look like the emails coming from your bank or a trusted colleague.
Speaker 1: Those are the ones that really get me. I'm always double checking the center address now.
Speaker 2: And then there are emails that contain malicious content, either in the body of the email itself or hidden within attachments. These could be links that download malware onto your computer or attachments that unleash the ransomware when you open them.
Speaker 1: Yikes, that's terrifying. So what are the best defenses against these sneaky attacks.
Speaker 2: One major step is protecting your domain, and this book goes into detail about three technologies that are key for this, SBF, DTM, and DRC. I know more acronyms, but they're really powerful tools.
Speaker 1: Hit me with the breakdown. What do those even stand for?
Speaker 2: Okay? So SBS stands for Sender Policy Framework, and it helps prevent email spoofing by verifying that the sender is actually authorized to send email from that particular domain. It's like a digital signature for your email domain.
Speaker 1: So it's a way to make sure the email is actually coming from who it says it's coming from.
Speaker 2: Right. Then there's DCAM, which stands for Domain Keys Identified Mail. This adds a digital signature to each email, ensuring it hasn't been tampered with while traveling across the Internet. Think of it like a seal of authenticity.
Speaker 1: Okay, So SBS confirms the sender and DCAM makes sure the message itself hasn't been messed with. What about this DMRX thing.
Speaker 2: Dmr RC, or Domain based Message Authentic Reporting and Conformance builds on those other two by telling email providers what to do with the emails that fail those SPF and DCAM checks.
Speaker 1: So it's like setting the rules of engagement for your email domain.
Speaker 2: You got it, and thankfully, implementing these is pretty straightforward, especially in Office three sixty five. The book even recommends using mxtoolbox dot com to check if your domain's SPF, DKM and DBR settings are configured correctly. It's a free tool, so no excuses.
Speaker 1: That's a great tip. But what about protecting the actual content of emails, those links and attachments. How can we be sure we're not clicking on something dangerous?
Speaker 2: This is where Microsoft Exchange Online Protection comes into play, especially if you're an Office three sixty five user. It's like having a whole team of security experts analyzing your emails for threats.
Speaker 1: I'm listening. What kind of protection does it offer? Well?
Speaker 2: It includes features like safe Attachments, which scans attachments form malicious code before they even reach your inbox.
Speaker 1: It's like having a bomb squad check each attachment before you open it exactly.
Speaker 2: And then there's safe Links, which lies links in emails and blocks you from accessing dangerous websites. Plus, it has anti phishing and anti spoofing protection that use machine learning to identify and block suspicious emails based on things like the content, the sender and other factors.
Speaker 1: Wow, so they're really throwing everything they've got at protecting our inboxes.
Speaker 2: They are, And this book even mentions a cool new senter called zero hour Autoperge or ZAP, which lets you neutralize those malicious emails retroactively. So even if a bad email slips through the cracks, ZAP can find it later and remove it from your inbox before it can cause any harm.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. It's like having a time machine for your email, going back and fixing any mistakes.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty slick feature. And the book even tells you how to use PowerShell to extend safe attachments protection to share point in on drive, so those file sharing platforms are covered too.
Speaker 1: That's good to know. It seems like we have a lot of tools to secure email, but what about accessing all those resources behind the company firewall. What's the best way to do that securely? Especially with so many people working remotely these days.
Speaker 2: That's where traditional VPNs start to show their limitations. You see, VPNs often operate on the idea of a trusted network, which goes against that whole zero trust principle we talked about earlier.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, a VPN, you're basically given access to the entire network, even if you just need one specific resource. It's like being given the keys to every room in a hotel when you only booked one.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy, and that's why ZTNA or zero trust Network Access is becoming so popular. ZTNA solutions they provide granular, secure access to specific resources, regardless of where the user or the resource is located.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a custom tailored security tunnel for each application.
Speaker 2: Precisely, ZTNA ensures that users are only granted access to the resources they need and only after their identity and device have been verified. This book dives into some of the vendors and their specific solutions, which can get a little technical, but the takeaways that there are options out there to fit different needs.
Speaker 1: Okay, so ZTNA is definitely something to explore. But before we move on, I want to circle back to DDAs attacks. I know we touched on them earlier, but I'm still a bit unclear on how they connect to the ransomware threat. Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, dedos attacks. They're like the digital equivalent of a traffic jam, designed to overwhelm your systems and bring everything to a grinding halt, and they're often used as a smokescreen while deploying ransomware, or as leverage to pressure victims into paying the ransom.
Speaker 1: So it's like they're saying pay up or we'll keep your website offline.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And this book emphasizes that DDAs attacks are more common than you might think. They can be incredibly disruptive and costly, with some attacks lasting for days days.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a long time to be offline. What are the different types of dados attacks we need to be aware of?
Speaker 2: Well, to keep it simple, you can think of them in a few categories. There are volumetric attacks that flood your network with tons of traffic, protocol attacks that exploit weaknesses and network protocols, and application layer attacks that target specif aps so.
Speaker 1: They can attack at different levels of your online infrastructure exactly.
Speaker 2: And then there are amplification attacks which magnify the amount of traffic being sent to your system, making it even harder to defend against. The good news is that there are strategies to mitigate these attacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what can we do to protect ourselves?
Speaker 2: One key strategy is using a web application firewall or waveaff. It acts like a bouncer for your website, filtering out that malicious traffic before it can reach your systems.
Speaker 1: Because it's stopping those floods of traffic before they can cause any damage exactly.
Speaker 2: And luckily, with the rise of cloud computing, DDoS protection is becoming more accessible. Cloud providers often have the infrastructure and tools to handle these large scale attacks.
Speaker 1: That's definitely reassuring. It sounds like d DOS attacks are a serious threat, but with the right tools and strategies, we can protect ourselves. Now let's shift gears again and talk about data protection. We know ransomware is all about encrypting data, but this book talks about how attackers are now focusing on stealing the data, not just locking it up.
Speaker 2: That's a crucial point. It's no longer just about preventing your data from being encrypted. It's about preventing it from walking out the door.
Speaker 1: So even if we have strong encryption, we still need to think about data exfiltration.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and that's where data classification becomes essential. It's about understanding what data is most sensitive and needs that top tier protection.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how do we go about classifying data effectively?
Speaker 2: You can think about it in terms of sensitivity levels, low, medium, and high.
Speaker 1: Can you give me some examples.
Speaker 2: Sure, Public websites and press releases might fall into the low sensitivity category. Emails and documents without any confidential data might be medium sensitivity, and then things like financial records, intellectual property, customer data, that's all high sensitivity information that needs the strongest protection.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, but how do we actually put this classification system into practice.
Speaker 2: That's where Azure Information Protection or AIP comes in. It's a cloud based service that helps you classify and protect sensit data like a digital vault for your most important information.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about encrypting everything, it's about applying the right level of protection based on the data sensitivity exactly.
Speaker 2: AIP lets you define labels that reflect how sensitive the data is. Then you can use those labels to encrypt, watermark and control access. And the great part is that it integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Office. You can apply those sensitivity labels right within word, Excel, PowerPoint, no extra steps needed.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly convenient. But what if you need to encrypt data that's not in an Office document.
Speaker 2: AIP handles that too. It works with a wide variety of file types and can even protect data in SQL server databases. This book even highlights how Microsoft is shifting towards built in labeling in Office, making it even easier to use.
Speaker 1: This is great information, but what about SQL server specifically? Are there like special things we need to do to encrypt those databases?
Speaker 2: Seqle server has a couple of powerful tools for this, Transparent Data Encryption or TD and always encrypted.
Speaker 1: Okay, those both sound pretty intense. Can you explain what they do?
Speaker 2: Sure KDE encrypts your databases at rest, meaning the data is encrypted right on the storage device itself. Think of it like having a lock on your hard drive, preventing unauthorized access.
Speaker 1: So even if someone stole the physical drive, they couldn't access the data exactly.
Speaker 2: And always encrypted takes things a step further by encrypting the data while it's being used or in memory, so even if an attacker got into your server, they couldn't read that sensitive data.
Speaker 1: Wow that's impressive, But is there a downside to using always encrypted?
Speaker 2: It can be a bit more complex to implement since it needs specific drivers and application support, So for those handling incredibly sensitive data, it's worth considering.
Speaker 1: This has been a deep dive into data protection. We've covered everything from classifying our data and using Azure information protection to encrypting SQL server databases. What's next on our ransomware protection checklist.
Speaker 2: Now we need to face the music and talk about what to do if you've already been attacked. Forensics and incident response they're critical.
Speaker 1: Okay, this feels like we're stepping into a CSI episode. What are the first steps if we suspect a ransomware attack?
Speaker 2: The book emphasizes the importance of staying calm and following a systematic approach. First, isolate those affected systems, think damage controls, stop the spread makes sense.
Speaker 1: Contain the situation before it gets worse exactly.
Speaker 2: Then secure your backups and don't forget to determine the scope of the attack, what systems are affected, what data is at risk.
Speaker 1: So it's like containing a fire and then assessing the damage.
Speaker 2: A perfect analogy. Once you've got to handle on the situation, you need to figure out what you're dealing with. This book recommends using resources like id Ransomware, a website that helps you identify the specific ransomware variant that hit you.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly useful. Knowing the enemy is half the battle, right, But what happens after we've identified the ransomware? What's next in the investigation.
Speaker 2: Now it's time for some digital detective work. We need to start looking for indicators of compromise, those clues that help you understand how the attack happened and what the attackers did once they were inside.
Speaker 1: So we're piecing together the puzzle of the attack exactly.
Speaker 2: The book suggests looking for clues in the file system, the registry, and the event logs. Think of it like searching for fingerprints or DNA evidence at a crime scene.
Speaker 1: What kinds of clues should we be looking for.
Speaker 2: You might find suspicious files that were downloaded or executed, registry keys that were modified, or event log entries that just don't look right. It's all about looking for anything out of the ordinary.
Speaker 1: So we need to become digital detectives. What are some key areas we should focus on during this investigation?
Speaker 2: This book highlights a few important ones. You need to figure out how the attackers got in. Was it a phishing email and exploited vulnerability. Once you identify that initial access point, you can start tracing their movement through.
Speaker 1: Your systems, like following breadcrumbs back to.
Speaker 2: Precisely, the book recommends looking for signs of lateral movement where they jumped from one system to another, and persistence where they established a back door to maintain access.
Speaker 1: This is fascinating stuff but also incredibly complex. Are there any tools that can help with this? Like digital detective work?
Speaker 2: There are. The book talks about Microsoft Defender for endpoint. It can help you investigate things like process activity, registry changes, and scheduled tasks. Think of it like a digital forensics lab, all in one tool.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. It sounds like something only the pros would use.
Speaker 2: It is powerful, but it's becoming more and more accessible to organizations of all sizes. And there are other tools out there too, like Bloodhound, which this book mentions as being helpful for analyzing active directory relationships and identifying potential attack paths.
Speaker 1: So it's like a map showing how attackers might have moved through the network exactly.
Speaker 2: Forensics and incident response are complex, but having the right tools and techniques can make a world of difference.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've covered a ton of ground securing Windows, endpoints, protecting user identity, email security, mitigating dido ASI attacks, protecting data, and even responding to an attack. What other advanced protection strategies are out there for those who want to go the extra mile?
Speaker 2: Let's talk about mimicats. A post exploitation tool that attackers love to.
Speaker 1: Use, mimicats. That sounds kind of cute. Is it as dangerous as it sounds?
Speaker 2: Don't let the name fool you.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: Mimicats can extract credentials from memory, manipulate Carbaro's tickets, and even perform past the hash attacks where they reuse stolen password hashes to access other systems.
Speaker 1: So it's like a master key for attackers.
Speaker 2: It can be. And what makes it so dangerous is that it can bypass standard credential protection mechanisms.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I'm really worried. What can we do to protect ourselves from this mimicats thing?
Speaker 2: This book recommends using Attack Surface Production rules, which we talked about earlier. Yeah, these rules can specifically target and block credential stealing from the Windows Local Security Authority subsystem, which mimicats often targets.
Speaker 1: So ASR rules to the rescue.
Speaker 2: Again, they're a versatile tool. And speaking of protection, let's talk about remote desktop management. Remote Desktop Protocol or RDP is super convenient for accessing computers remotely, but it can also be a big security risk if not properly configured.
Speaker 1: What are the best practices for securing RDP.
Speaker 2: Enabling Network level authentication or NLA is a must. It requires users to authenticate before connection is even established, making it much harder for attackers to brute force their way in.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a security guard at the entrance, checking everyone's credentials before letting them in exactly.
Speaker 2: The book also mentions a newer feature called Remote Credential Guard, which enhances RDP security by isolating credentials and preventing them from being stolen during those remote sessions.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Microsoft is really taking RDP security seriously.
Speaker 2: They are, and it's not just about RDP. The book also emphasizes the importance of Windows Firewall best practices. They suggest sticking to the default settings, blocking incoming connections by default, and enabling logging for dropped.
Speaker 1: Packets, so it's like having a security log that records any suspicious activity precisely.
Speaker 2: And here's another interesting technique, canary tokens.
Speaker 1: Canary tokens like those birds they used to use in coal mines.
Speaker 2: Exactly. They're decoy files or systems designed to alert you if they're accessed. So if an attacker stumbles upon a canary token, it's like setting off an alarm.
Speaker 1: That's a really clever way to detect suspicious activity. Okay, so we've covered a lot of ground with these advanced protection strategies, but are there any common threads, any overarching themes that tie this all together.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. One key takeaway is that security is all about layers. You're not just relying on one single defense. You're building multiple layers of protection to make it as difficult as possible for attackers to succeed.
Speaker 1: It's like building a castle with moats, walls and guard towers exactly.
Speaker 2: And another important theme is vigilance. The threat landscape is constantly changing, so you need to stay informed about the latest threats and vulnerabilities. This book is a great resource for that, but also tons of other resources available online and through industry organizations.
Speaker 1: Right, it's about staying ahead of the curve and always learning.
Speaker 2: And don't forget about the human element. We've talked about technical solutions, but security awareness is just as important, if not more so.
Speaker 1: You're right, technology can only take us so far. We need to educate our users about the threats and how to stay safe.
Speaker 2: Exactly because at the end of the day, security is everyone's responsibility. It's a team effort, and we all need to work together to stay protected.
Speaker 1: Well said, this deep dive into ransomware protection has been incredibly eye opening. I feel like I've learned so much, but I also realize that there's always more to learn.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of security. It's a constantly evolving field, but by staying informed and proactive, we can stay ahead of the threats and protect ourselves and our organizations.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've covered a ton in this episode, from understanding ransomware tactics and securing Windows, to the importance of user education and you know, having rock solid backups.
Speaker 2: In quite a journey it has.
Speaker 1: But before we wrap things up, I'm curious about something. This book focuses on Windows, but what about the cloud? How does that impact our approach to ransomware protection.
Speaker 2: That's a great question and something more and more organizations are grappling with as they move their operations to the cloud.
Speaker 1: It seems like the cloud would offer more security since those providers have such vast resources and expertise.
Speaker 2: There are definitely advantages. Cloud providers often have robust security features and economies of scale that can enhance.
Speaker 1: Protection, like those massive dds mitigation capability as we talked about earlier, exactly, but.
Speaker 2: The cloud also introduces new challenges shared responsibility models, complex configurations, and the sheer scale of cloud environments it can make securing everything effectively quite tricky.
Speaker 1: So it's not a magic bullet. We can't just assume everything is safe just because it's in the cloud.
Speaker 2: Definitely not. You need to be just as strategic about your cloud security as you would with any on premises environment.
Speaker 1: So what are the key things to keep in mind when securing cloud environments against ransomware?
Speaker 2: This book mentions Azure specifically, and Microsoft has been putting a lot of effort into cloud security.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. They're a major player in both the cloud and security spaces they are.
Speaker 2: Azure offers a whole suite of security features, things like as your Security Center, as your Sentinel, and Azure Information Protection, all of which can play a part in your ransomware protection strategy.
Speaker 1: So it's about understanding those cloud specific tools and using them to our advantage.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And don't forget the fundamentals. Strong passwords, multi factor authentication, regular security updates. Those are all just as critical in the cloud as they are on premises.
Speaker 1: It's like those security basics are universal regardless of where our data lives exactly.
Speaker 2: And remember, the threat landscape is constantly evolving, so stay informed about new threats and strategies.
Speaker 1: It's a never ending learning process.
Speaker 2: It is, but it's essential for staying ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've talked about the cloud and the importance of continuous learning, but what about emerging technologies? Are there any on the horizon that could help us fight ransomware even more effectively?
Speaker 2: There are some exciting developments to keep an eye on. Artificial intelligence and machine learning are playing a bigger role in threat detection and response.
Speaker 1: So it's like having an army of AI powered security analysts constantly analyzing data for.
Speaker 2: Threats, a very smart army. And then there's blockchain technology, which is being explored for its potential to secure backups and prevent data tampering.
Speaker 1: Wait blockchain, the technology behind cryptocurrencies, could that really help protect against ransomware?
Speaker 2: Still early days, but the potential is there. Blockchains, immutability and decentralization could be game changers for data security. And then there's quantum computing, which has the potential to completely revolutionize cryptography and cybersecurity as we know it.
Speaker 1: Quantum computing. Now that sounds like something straight out of a science fiction movie does.
Speaker 2: But it's becoming a reality and it will have a huge impact on how we protect our data in the future.
Speaker 1: It's both exciting and a little bit daunting to think about. But for our listeners who are dealing with the very real threat of ransomware today, what's the single most important piece of advice you can give them.
Speaker 2: Don't wait until you're a victim to take action. Start building your defenses now. Implement a layered security approach, educate your users, and have that solid backup and recovery plan in place.
Speaker 1: So it all comes back to those fundamentals we've been talking about, being proactive, informed, and prepared exactly.
Speaker 2: Security is a journey, not a destination.
Speaker 1: Well said, This deep dive into ransomware protection has been truly insightful. We've learned so much from the tactics attackers use and the layers of defense we need to build, to the critical role of user education and those emerging technologies that could change the game entirely.
Speaker 2: It's been a place you're sharing this information.
Speaker 1: A huge thank you to our expert for guiding us through this complex topic, and to our listeners, thank you for joining us on this deep dive. Remember knowledge is power when it comes to cybersecurity. Stay vigilant, stay informed, and stay safe out there alone