Speaker 1: Ten and two men have a big fund or you instructed the sound and may stop all the homes. No, it must be silent.
Speaker 2: Oo, it's all clear.
Speaker 1: If no use, he's got a Leadlieve. The sheer speed of my friend Sharlock Holmes never ceased to amaze me. My name is Watts, doctor Watson, and I was privileged to share the adventures of Sharlock Homes. I will tell you about the Red Headed League. It is on in my notebooks. If I may consultant for a moment.
Speaker 3: I am into the city room two to one, be latest speak to a dun day to find a le of Holmes in deep conversation with an elderly man, a sort of hilary put down to the grounds and the average column day British place.
Speaker 1: The peace compos indectable, nothing remarkable about him, sat an expression of extreme fagrant and discontent upon his features.
Speaker 4: And head, the grazing red hair.
Speaker 1: Oh my dear one, let me introduce you to mister J. S. Wilson. I'll do that. This is doctor Buston. He'd been my pastor and helped her in many successful cases, and I've heard that he'll be at the admirashuse in your festivals. Oh well, how do you do? Doctor? And my friend Batson shares my love of all that it's bizarre outside the conventions and hand drum routine of everyday life. Where's his relish for it by the enthusiasm with which he chronicles, And if you'll excuse my sayings, there embellishes.
Speaker 4: So many of my little adventures.
Speaker 1: Your cases are the greatest interest in me, ah, but none more interesting than mine, or what you will remember. That's in my remarking the other day that for strange effects and extraordinary combinations we mustard to life itself, which is always far more daring than any effort of the imagination. That's the proposition that I took the liberty of doubting you did. But you must come round to my view and under less or I shall keep piling fat run fat on you until you admit I'm right now. Mister James Wilson, here has a narrative which promises to be one of the most singular listen too for some time. It is indeed a single. Therefore, my friend doctor Watson has here it for himself. You will better webs. Doctor Watson had better read this here newspaper of British moda O.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Were through the Red Hided League.
Speaker 1: On account of the bequest of the league Isakah Hopkins of Lebanon, Pennsylvania, USA. There is now another vacancy in tackling a member of the League to several four pounds a week for purely nominal services. Red Headed League carry on.
Speaker 3: All red headed men above the age of twenty one years are eligible. Giant person on Monday eleven o'clock to Duncan Ross of the offices of the League, seven Pops Court, Fleet Street.
Speaker 1: It is a little after beaten Flack, isn't it. You've noticed, of course, that the newspaper is two month ago. Oh yes, now, mister worth Weller was, as I told mister Holmes, by the small pombroker's business at Saxe Coburg Square near the city. It just gives me a living. I can only afford an assistant because he's willing to take half whites to learn the business. Well, what is the name of this black enveloped Vincent's spawling? Who mind you? I couldn't wash A smarter man comes of a good family. He can get twice what I'm able to give him propos of my good ideas into his head. I didn't know that your assistant is not as remarkable as your advert. Oh he has his faults. There never was such a fellow for photography snapping away with a camera and then diving down into the cellar to develop his pictures or that is his main fault. But on the old he's a good worker. Well, one morning, just eight weeks ago, spailed.
Speaker 4: Him come into the office and showed.
Speaker 1: Me that advertisement that you've just read down. I wish, mister Wilson, why that vacancy is worth a little potroom? This is incredible spoiling. I've never come across such an advertisement as this in all my life. What you mean, you've never heard of the red Headed League as to worth? No? Never, Well you see this American and KaiA Hopkins as a millionaire, always getting ribbed when he was a lad for his red hair. So he had a sort of sympathy for red headed men all his life. And when he died his fortune went into the hands of trustees with instructions to use it getting easy jobs to red haired men.
Speaker 4: It's astonishing.
Speaker 1: What's even better. Old Hopkins was born in London, so the office confined to londoners. Well, but there must be thousands of red headed men who would have dried thousands with red hair, sir, But scarcely one in a hundred with hair to match old Azekiah Hopkins own. How did I hear it described?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Not light red, not dark, a sort of real bright blazing bed.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What is you your hair, sir? If your partner limited, I should have guessed it was just the kind they're looking for? Really? Whoa? I don't know them? Of course four pounds a week scarcely be worth it a gentleman, Mike, you bother him? Oh well, it all sounds well interesting. They are an unusual experience, you might say, now learning my hair would change over at night. But things are a little slightlier just now, you know, spawling. I think I must step al under boat scot Now, yes, sir, and you can put up the shutters and come along with me. I experienced that pinas.
Speaker 4: Entertaining under to us.
Speaker 1: Did you waver hear anything to compare with it? Misholmes, Well, gentlemen, I never hope to see such a sight as there again, fate stren itself with choked from both southeast and west. Every man Jack with a shade already in his air, advent into the city of Arts and a mursion coat's court like a costa's orangs bellock. I shouldn't have believed there, for so many nail country, straw colored lemon orange brick, Irish said, But as Spawning had said, my own the mid flame colored temple scarcely to be found if with him or not given up in de spair. But he pushed, and he pulled, and he budded until he got me through the crowd and right up to the steps which led to the doorway. And I said, what heaven when you got there? Eventually found myself in a large office with no furniture save for a couple of wooden chairs and a deal table. What was the man behind the table but an even bedder than mine? He said a few words to each candidators he'd come up, but one glance of there had seemed sufficient to disqualify them. Concrete nay, namely after a hole. His fir called that their rede being better up there. Net my name's rush with Benjamin ar Sir, rushed with Tom give him to under anything the ball Eddie league said yet tar, and I can assure you, my hen, this is mister Davis Wilson and mister Davis Wilton, and I feel, permit me, sir, that the most interesting head most interesting indeed you think so? Oh yeah? Do you know that? I don't think I can recall anything? So fine? Oh, well, a glance at your own sir, by the point, he won't mind if I take one of this precaution by now?
Speaker 2: Oh really should you have got me dressed?
Speaker 1: Forgive me? Mister Wilson, Ah your eyes or watering? All is as it should be? Oh will you TRYE been deceived by wigs and once by pace. But as for you, sir, will it God be an injustice to head take you? Will all go? The vys built a.
Speaker 2: Kindly part.
Speaker 1: The word is your glass. This is extremely good to you, mister, or not at all? Well? A warm welcome to the red headed Greek. Thank you sir. Now when will you be able to enter upon your duty? What are the alms ten till two every day accepting Sunday. That is the Nishimi service recruit for me on a pool brook.
Speaker 4: You see, so most of my own business she's done.
Speaker 1: To believe me, I can manage the shop while you're away in this room as splendid as you know. The pay is four pounds a week and the duties are purely nominal, purely no. What does that mean? Well, you have to remain in this office, or at least in the building, throughout the whole four out every day. If you leave, you'll forfeit your position for aport, I shouldn't think of doing No excuse will avail sickness, business nor anything else.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: You must stay and work to copy out the insight the Pedia Britannica. We have shut in what time your own ink pens and stationary, so then you start tomorrow. He'll certainly. Then goodbye, mister Javis Wilson.
Speaker 4: And let me congratulate you once more on the importance.
Speaker 1: I wish you have been you can imagine, mister Holmes. But by the time I'd reached home, I was persuading myself the whole thing must be some great hopes or fraud. They seemed altogether past belief that anyone could make such a will.
Speaker 4: Ll pay some month so much for doing anything so simple.
Speaker 1: Yet you did not abandon the event, or nearly, but Vincent's spawning did what he could have persuade me, and the next morning I set out for Pop's court with a penny bottle of ink, a quill pen, and seven sheets of horsecap paper. To my surprise, and day night the first volume was set out ready for me, and mister Duncan Ross was there to see me get fairly to work. He started me off on the letter A, and then he left me that he dropped in from time to time to see the lawn was right with me and they say you. At two o'clock he bagged me good day and complimented me on the amount I'd written, and then he knocked me off his more after me, and this procedure continued for some time. Day after Danish times. Did you get paid? Oh yes, On Saturday, mister Loss come in and plump down four golden sovereigns for my week's work. It's the same the next week, and the same the week after. Every morning I was there at ten, and every afternoon I left it two find the goodies. Mister Loss took the coming in only once of the morning and then after the time, but he didn't come in at all. Still, of course I didn't dare to leave the room for an instant. I wasn't sure when he might come, and the building was such a good one, and I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Risk the mossoy you mean are still doing it?
Speaker 1: Oh, doctor watson An eight weeks passed him that present manner. I've written about abots, an archery, an armored, an architecture. I was looking forward to getting onder the letter b before long, when suddenly.
Speaker 4: The whole business come to an end.
Speaker 2: We didn't have or.
Speaker 1: It was this Monday morning and tomorrow it as usual, but the door was shut and locked.
Speaker 4: And this said to see a little square.
Speaker 1: Of cardbore the wastecked under the middle of the pedal. The red pitted league is dissolved. October the nineteen eighteen ninety. I was staggered, dumbfounded. I called the offices roundabout, but none of them say to know anything about it. And finally of it to the landlord. And he's in a count of living on the ground floor. He said that he never heard of any read eddied league. He told me that the read edded man at number seven was a solicitor named William Morris, who'd taken the room as a temporary convenience until his new premises were ready. He moved out yesterday. I asked where I could find it. Did you know seventeen King Edward Street, near Saint Paul's. I went there. It was a manufactory of artificial lee caps. Oh well, I can't see there's anything figh you. Oh no, really, gentlemen, if you can do nothing better than not at me, I can go elsewhere. No, no, no, no, Miss Tilton, have any wouldn't miss your case for the world. Its refreshingly unusual what you've told me. I think it possible that graver he was hanging from this exceedingly remarkable case that.
Speaker 4: Night at first appears.
Speaker 1: But I want to know all of these people, and what is the object him playing this peck on me? We shall endeavor to tear up people by the first one or two questions. Now, this assistant of yours who caused your attention to the advantisement? How long had he been with you?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: A month? How did he come in answer to an advertisement? Was he earn air? Platano had a dozen? Why did you pick? He had told you because he was amy and would come for half wages. What's he like this Vincent's balding? Oh, he's a small and stealth built, but he quickened his ways, chet clean shaven, although he's not sure the thirty Oh, yes, he's a white mark of an assie splash on his forehead. Had he never noticed his ears? The pier, the ear ring. Yes, he told me that Gypsy did it for him when he was an I thought as much. And he's still with help. Certainly has your business being properly looked after in your absence? Nothing to complain?
Speaker 4: Overturn very well, mister Wilson.
Speaker 1: That'll do, thank you sir. Now today is Saturday. I hope that we may be able to give you an opinion by Monday. Much oblige if you can. Good eye, gentlemen, good good idea. Well what's what do you make of it? Though I make nothing of its mysteriousness. As a rule, the more bizarre thing is the less mysterious it proves to be. What are you going to do.
Speaker 4: To smoke?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's quite a free type problem. And I beg that you won't speak to me for this. M What what Saratopey tag and Chameses Hall the continent? Now? What do you think could your patients spare you for a few hours. No, no, nothing to do today. Then put on your hat and come I go to the city. I think we can have some lunch on the way.
Speaker 2: Come along, Yeah, La days.
Speaker 1: Will fool jewel u mm hmm. The three jim folds, the Scottish trade more accurately identity. You're learning about the home a number of things, My dear Watson. Just listen, quest.
Speaker 2: Were playing your pate for me.
Speaker 1: Now we'll try to go. We didn't see we'll see again. I trust not help you. Oh thank you. I only wished to ask.
Speaker 4: How you would go from here.
Speaker 1: To the ten the third ride four less garment.
Speaker 4: I'm much obliged.
Speaker 1: Good day, not at all, Good day, gentlemen. Your sister name Mark Llow. I rated him the four, not his name and runner, mister Darry. I'm not sure that he hasn't a claimed to be the third you name him. I've had experience that the condins folding before us. You knocked to the door just to get over him, not a thin at the needs of his clous and sister. What did you see? What I expected to say him? Why did you beat the pavement my dead after? This is a time for observation, not the folk here spies in an enemy's country. We want something of sex. Coburg Square. Let us now explore the p to slide. I think, uh, let's be see you. I should like to remember the border, the houses of the Baca. Here there's a Thebectiveness Morgners. There's a newspaper shop, the Kilberg branch of the city in suburban Bank, the vegetarian restaurant, and the Farland carried to the depot. That'll do. And now we've done our work for this time. We had some play, a sand ridge and a cup of coffee and then off to violin Land where all it's sweetness and delicacy and harmony. So there are no red headed clients s Dexas for that number want to go home.
Speaker 4: But that doctor, I've some business to do. Because they've done.
Speaker 1: I shall want your help tonight. Come on me. Considerable crime is in contemplation. But I have any reason to believe that we shall be in time to stopping. What time will I be? Ten at Baker Street? And I think, okay, came they put your army revolver in your bucket. I think you know, Inspector Jones a Scottland yard. How do you do. And this is mister Merriweather, who's to share a night's adventure? How do you do, sir? I hope a wild goose may not prove to be the end of our chase. You can rely on this to home, sir. It's little methods are it's theoretical and fantastic, but it's the makings of a detective in think you inspector. But at past ten now and time it started? Now? If you and mister Merriweather will take the first hand, Watson and I will follow in the second we meet at the back of tact Coburg Square. Gentlemen, shall I need to way? Please do, mister Merriwethern. It's done a short passage. I'll lock the gate at the end, and then there are steps into a boat. Where are we now? Were in the cellar of the City branch of one of the principal London Days, mister merriweathers chairman of directors. There is so, sir, And as you can see, there's nothing vulnerable about the street. I to keep your voice downside and.
Speaker 3: Has a goodness to sit on one of those boxes while i've them in.
Speaker 1: This straw to my lends. Well, you know what to do about side. There's something to do with our French gild.
Speaker 4: We've had several womens that an attempt might be laid.
Speaker 1: We had occasions some months ago to borrow thirty thousand napoleons from the bank of fronts. We have never needed to unpeck lay. And it is still nine in this boat. Indeed very creeks.
Speaker 4: On which we are sitting.
Speaker 1: Good good ah, I thought as much, and one of your farms times details later inspected. The timely arranged that as of fans, we must put the screen over the dark land sues the dog. We cannot risk the presence of the light. I shall conceal myself behind this crate. The rest of it turns. They do likewise behind those.
Speaker 4: When I flash a bike on our those close in on them quickly.
Speaker 1: These are daring men, and if they fire, were to have no compunction about shooting them down. Oh what have they run?
Speaker 4: I have an inspector and two.
Speaker 1: Men up at the front doors. You have constructed suns get then be stopped all the home. Oh we must be.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmmm.
Speaker 4: It's all clear.
Speaker 1: Do you take the chickl and hand me the bag? No, you don't say he's got a garden. Read it to me.
Speaker 2: This before.
Speaker 4: Don't say alien in yoo.
Speaker 1: I'm about yeh. Head into the men at the door right now, still gray when I just fixed the derby so touched me, but go fuilt Their hands may not be aware that I have row blood in my veins. Have the goodness to address me as I'm to say? Please, Would you please sir march upstairs where we can get a cab to carry your highness to the police station. That's better lead on my good land.
Speaker 4: That sum in my time, mister.
Speaker 1: Holmes, I don't know how the band contempt you will repay by an empty repaid by having had an experience for it in many ways unique and by hearing the very remarkable narrative of the red Headed League.
Speaker 2: Whiskerham a thank.
Speaker 1: You, my dear button, your health and yours now if you'll kind of lisplen well, you see it was perfectly of this from the first of The only possible object of this rather fantastic business of the League and the copy of the encyclopedia must be to get this not over black form worker out of the way. For the same number of ours daily the care I where managing Can you suggested better? It was, no doubt suggested to Kay's ingenious mind by the color of his employer's hair. The four pounds a week was a lure which must draw Wilson. And what was it to them who were playing for thousands? They put in the advertisement Duncan Ross says potentporary office John Clay, he has been since Spaulding incites the man to.
Speaker 4: Apply to the job, and together they managed to secure his absence.
Speaker 1: Every morning in the week. I see, But how could you guess what the motive was? Well, Wilson's business was a small one and there was nothing in his house which could account for such elaborate preparation. I thought of the assistance from this for photography and his trick of vanishing into the cellar. Ah. Then I made inquiries as to this mysterious assistant and found, as I suspected that I had to deal with one of the coolest andness daring criminals in London. He was doing something in the cellar, something which took many hours a day for weeks on end. What could it be? I could think of? Nothing? Said that he was running a tunnel to some other building. Now I see when you beat the pavement with your stick, you were testing for a hollow sound. To be more precise, I was despertating whether the seller stretched out in front of Wilson's house or behind. It was not in front. Then knocked at Wilson's door, as I had helped. His assistant answered it. I hardly looked at his face. You wanted to see his knees. You said, you must have noticed yourself how Warren wrinkled and stained his trousers were Yes, yes, yes I did.
Speaker 4: They spoke of those hours of borrowing.
Speaker 1: The only remaining point was what was he borthering for the city in suburban bank right around the bank exactly? But how could you tell they would make their attempt to night? Well? When they killed their league offices, it was a sign that they cared no longer about mister Jada's Wilson's present. You really completed their tunnel, yes, but it was essential that they should use it soon as it might be discovered or or the bullion removed for Saturday would shoot them better than any other day, as it would give them two days for their escape. For all these reasons, I expected them to come to night. Beautiful reason the HM every link of the chain rings true. Oh oh, it saved me from boredom, unless my feel is.
Speaker 4: Closing in on me already.
Speaker 1: Holmes, you're a benefactor of the human race. When I spent in one long effort to escape from the common cases of existence, many are work. These are the problems.
Speaker 4: Help me docing.
Speaker 1: The Red Hiddy leave with one of the Sharlock Holmes stories, and we inspired pens through after Coman Doyle. My real name is normally Shedding. My friend calls him Hope. They Shallock Holmes, and I was doctor Rot. I'll script for this BBC production from London was by Michael Hardley. I need hard to say. I look forward the pleasure of your company again soon the more of the adventures of Charlockope