Speaker 1: It's with Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you easy Boston New Video.
Speaker 1: All right, we are talking and we're going a little longer than I had expected on this issue. And that is stores that now are locking up items, making it less convenient for you as a shopper, less convenient for me as a shopper. Don't know why they feel they need to do this. There are stores that are closing in some poor neighborhoods, which of course is their choice. However, it leads a lot of people in poor communities without access to to stores like CBS, Walgreens or whatever. I'm not pinning that on any one of them, but those are the pharmacies or the drug stores as we call them, and those are the ones in this area now that may be different, different ones in your area. So I think it comes down what's called moral relativism, meaning I go into a store and I feel that why should I pay for that tube of toothpaste? Why should I pay for that shampoo? I put it in my pocket? Oh, right, because the company makes too much money. Anyway. That's the problem in this society right now is when you have more relative relativism, you know you're in a in a parking lot and you you scrape the car next to you, you know, do you stop? Do you put a little note of that with your name and say, g I'm sorry. I have no idea who you are, but give me a call. I'll run this to my insurance company. Probably not. Most people just drive away. Yeah, think about it. Oh you open your door, I mean you slam into your doors, scratches the car next to you. Are you honest enough? It's it's all part of the same thing. Now, you do have people who just feel they have a right to go in with a shop bag and walk out. Those those are that's that's those are criminals. Those are criminals. How did we get here? How do we get out of here? Six one seven ten thirty No guest tonight. You are my guest if you make the call six one seven four ten thirty one line there and six one seven nine three one ten thirty. There's another topic we intend to get to later on tonight, and that is the US Surgeon General has now issued an advisory on a link between the use of alcohol and that includes beer, wine as well as spirits and cancer. Not going to slow down your your consumption of alcohol. I don't know they stop this phill in Boston. Hey Phil, welcome back. How are you?
Speaker 3: I forget I'm so confused though, I think you said, what will we going leave it? The beaver days are over there. The society that gentlemen'callum society is breaking down. He's found too, a car and a body. In this plot, I was at a store. I went to a store and can I mission the name of this It was a major retail because of w went into the store Walmart, and I picked up some sneakers. A few left there, I guess because then I locked up and I got in the same shoe with a different price. So I walked. I was trying to find the manager, and I walked towards us. Well, the man's down there. And then I'm walking towards where the manager was, and this woman who worked there Walmart vessel and walks bot walks towards me and I start talking. Can you tell me? She just walks right on by? It was beautiful. It was on candy camb it will be beautiful. I talked to him, finally found a man to explained to him. It's just sort of at the bottom line is it's just falling up. Everything's falling apart, and the worst it gives and I don't know how the course, there's the works. No one cares anymore. You got rod rage, you got supermarket rage. I was trying to be funny to lay you the story. Stop the shop and the woman should be mimicking me. I just said to tools, everyone's angry one another. It's just crazy, man. It's getting out of hand. I mean, by the way, and Walmart told they told me they take the proof of purchase things they stick is off the high end productor the low wind products and put them on a high end. So you're going to get a low wind product six balls and you walk out and put on a six year old product. And those things you skin on the wall where it's just check out our check out our our that's right, herd. I'm not a computer guy. Check out our menu or whatever. If you scan that on the compute, the on your cell phone. Some bad guys are putting their their thing. They're cut off a little white thing of the carse QR board or onto that piece covering it, meaning that you'd be contacting them. It's getting soaken.
Speaker 1: Oh no, this look the the idea of all the identity theft issues, that's all part of it. I get to the point where I don't want to shop online because I don't know who's getting my credit cards. And even I'm going to get to the point where I'm going to start paying cash at restaurants now, because when you credit credit card and they walk away and you have no idea where your credit card goes.
Speaker 3: I well, that's what I'm saying I have. I was in this restaurant I go to all the time. The woman used use a credit card. Now, this is the first spot woman. The woman charged them was I could say, fifty bucks in charge guy. The woman she gave it to, she wrote her own tip on it. She wrote down a hundred dollar tips and she would tell me about it and she would have gone away with it. But the woman, you know, she used the used spot. Woman. But I mean, it's just getting cool.
Speaker 1: You're right, I mean, do you want to The thing that I love is that when you when you when you order, if you've ever ordered, uh, you know, takeout at a store, you you you call up a local restaurant and uh and you're going to order. You know, a couple of meals for Saturday night and okay, they they hand you you got your credit card there and they hand you the bill and immediately it's like, what do you want to tip them? Wait a sec? Hold on, there's been no table service here. You go to a restaurant and you sit down and the person you know greets you, and here's the menu. Do you have any questions? And yes I do? And would you like this? I'll be right back, and would you you know, you get your your tip for service. I don't really feel like I want to tip when I'm going to the restaurant, driving, picking up the meal and leaving.
Speaker 3: Actually asked the question, I'm going to give me a tip?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? They make you feel guilty if you know. Hey, Phil, there's a lot that lot let's talk about here. We'll tell you. We'll continue our ongoing conversation.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Hill, I hope.
Speaker 1: So all right, man, right back at you, good night, take a very quick break at Alex coming up, Darryl Wendy room for you. We got one line at six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty. One line at six one, seven, nine three, one ten thirty. We will not go past eleven o'clock on this topic no matter what, because I do want to spend a little bit of time tonight. We had promoted earlier today that we would talk about the Surgeon General's report on a link between alcohol and cancer. Uh, if we go to eleven, that's great. If we don't, we'll switch to this, but you decide back on night Side right after this. Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on w b Z, the news radio. All right, we're talking about little things, stealing little things from stores and the inconveniencing. It's causing all of us to have to sit and wait for a toothpaste tube to be unlocked so we can buy a toothpaste tube, or three bars of soap or whatever, the odorant or shaving cream. Ridiculous Alex and Millis Alex.
Speaker 4: Next on Nightside, go right ahead, Hey, Dan Greavy, I didn't notice it too much in the CBS where I go to, you know, in our town. But I don't know what what has to be done short of like you know how banks have red die packs. You know, if they're perpetrator shoots out the door, you know, and that way, you know, people a person would red dye would kind of be embarrassed, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Embarrassed, but also identified for the police pretty easily something identify them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, true, Yeah, it doesn't come up very easily.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 4: The other thing I just was going to mention a lot of the stores. Now, okay, I understand, you know, they'll ask you to give to whatever cause happens to be. So we have the fires, which I did, but every time I go in there they ask you again, so they sort of put you on the spot. And friends of mine told me that not all the money goes where it's supposed to because a lot of the CEOs of charities or the people that are running the charity, you know, they get you know, they get a handsome salary. So unfortunately, you know, we were.
Speaker 1: Talked about that before. It's called it's called administrative costs within the charity. So for every you know, either one hundred dollars or whatever you donate, you should always ask what are the administrative costs and the administrative cost whatever the charity is. A charity should be giving ninety five percent of the money that's donated to that charity to the cause and maybe maybe maximum five percent administrative costs. But you have charities which it's they're giving fifty percent of the money and fifty percent of administrative cost Those are bad charities, man, those are You don't want to be donating to those charities. I get it all the time. You get the police, the National Police Benevolent Society, and we're hoping that you might be able to care for some one hundred dollars. And I'll say, what's your administrative Well, we really not quite sure. See you later. Or I'll say, why do I send one hundred bucks to you? You're somewhere in Poughkeepsie, New York, or or Santa Clara, California. I'd rather just write a check and walk down to my local police station. Well, the work that we do is are so critical in helping police across the nation. Yeah, it's it's a tango on those people. They're skim artists.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was going to also mention you know you talked about dogs. My dog is so lovable. He's a golden doodle. So I take him everywhere with me and people don't mind. And like you know, when we go everywhere, he gets he gets all kinds of accolades and stuff from you know I got treats and.
Speaker 1: Probably more accolades than you get. Right.
Speaker 4: Oh, absolutely, they say if she if you want to be popular, have a have a baby or a pet.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, all right, man, talk soon, Alex. Appreciate it. Yeah, we hit another thing already, So I'm gonna let I gotta, I gotta keep calling here for going. There's too many other things in this call Alex. Right now, Thanks man, Talk to you soon. Daryl's in New Brunswick. Daryl, welcome back.
Speaker 5: Hey Dan, great topics. You can carry this probably for the next week, for the next two months minimum.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Gonna do that, but thank you anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 5: But no, I believe Tricia had a good point to reference this new tech they're trying to put where you open the door with your app.
Speaker 1: If you after they had that in Canada, Darryl.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen it yet, but they do lock up the razors and what you really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how tough is it up there when you go to a throw and you want to buy something that's under lock and key?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: What what?
Speaker 1: What's the what's the most popular pharmacy in in your neck of the woods up there in Canada?
Speaker 5: I'm assuming they're the mocks U three razors because there's they're they're attracted.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, Darrel, listen to my question. If you would we have CVS, we have Walgreens, all those we have right aid? What what's the pharmacy the big store? Do you have a pharmacy change of stores up there in Canada that you could reference.
Speaker 5: We have Shoppers drug Marked. We used to have h the one Darryl Kates Howstone any Key was part of CBS, but it was the Canadian version.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so when you go in there, what what? What items tend to be locked up under.
Speaker 5: Lock and key, uh, electric shavers, razor blades. But the funny thing is that perfumes and colognes are not.
Speaker 1: I don't know. So how long does it take you if you've got to buy some razor blades and and if they're under lock and key. Give me an example of how long it takes.
Speaker 5: It couldn't be up to five minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's aggravating. That's aggravating. I don't care what anybody says.
Speaker 5: Well, but what you might do, pardon me, how much stealing?
Speaker 1: How much thievery? We have quite a bit down here. Now, I would hope that in Canada, you folks are more honest than we are. And I mean that seriously. I don't I don't think of Canadians as thieves.
Speaker 5: No, we have homeless too. And actually I walked into people are familiar with a store called Giant Tiger. I walked in, the girl walked in and walked right back out the entrance with a bundle of socks. Okay, and so, but yeah, it's if that was me, I.
Speaker 1: Would have said, come on, let's go buy these socks for you. It's cold in Canada. I'll buy your socks, you know. I mean, no, she was.
Speaker 5: She was already out the door before I recognize what happened.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So but the next time I went into that store, after telling the manager had a new detection device. So you can only walk in. You have an entry and an e rest point.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, sure that's smart, that's smart. But all right, Darla, I'm gonna let you run. I got a whole bunch of calls here. I gotta keep rolling. Man, How cold is it in New Brunswick tonight, Daryl?
Speaker 5: It's only about minus ten celsius. But I was gonna mention about the dog thing. Uh, I actually went to take my dog out d day and he actually chased a raccoon into the house.
Speaker 1: Well, but I'll tell you that I'm not sure. Yeah. Well I hope you got the raccoon out because they could be nasty devils.
Speaker 5: No, he was dealt with, But you're dealt with.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know that. I know what that means. I get it your doc.
Speaker 5: Thanks to he was coming in the note right.
Speaker 1: Talk too soon. Okay, have a great one, A great night, good night. Let's go next to Wendy and Marlborough. Hey, Wendy, next night.
Speaker 5: Right ahead, Wendy.
Speaker 1: Hear me, dam I can hear you. Find I'll even be able to hear you better once that radio is turned down.
Speaker 2: Go right ahead, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know the radio could be distracting. That's why Rob tells you to turn the radio down, and you should. Yeah, yeah, no problem.
Speaker 6: But I drop walking into CVS and I've noticed a lot of stuff is locked up there. Also, I agree with that. They've a couple of calls before you.
Speaker 2: I hate the self check ups.
Speaker 4: I don't like them.
Speaker 6: I think they take jobs away from people.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree with you more. And in addition to that, they're really confusing. I mean, you know, for particularly for older people, I mean you have to sort of like have this intuition. You know. It's one thing if you if you've got three items that that have some sort of a barcode and you go click click click, But if you get like a bunch of bananas, you gotta you gotta figure out, well, where how do I find how do I find the way to bananas? It's basically, I'm going to the store paying money for for for stuff that you're selling me, and you're making me do the work to wring the stuff up and put it in the basket. How about giving me a discount?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Really, I mean I used to work all my a long I used to go on a long time ago and you checkouts and the only thing is down was under lock and key was of course like the jewelry. And I don't have an expensive electronics like, yeah, I can see that I could like that nowadays. Nowadays it was funny because I wanted a twelve dollars iPhone card because my my my phone was dying and I'm walking like things to toes over phone cord. You have the lock.
Speaker 1: I was. I was. I said, I was in Target and I was looking for men's socks and they were like men's socks were like eight dollars or whatever it was walking key, Come on, so I get it. Someone can grab the shock and stick it in their pocket and nobody's gonna know. Give me a break. I mean when when I coming back. And Rob was the one who mentioned this to me before, he said, when when you got to do self checkout, you're doing the job for them. They don't have to hire as many clerks. So it would be like if if you and I went to the store, let's say, to wherever you know that has you know, Shaws, which has shelves self checkout, and there was a snowstorm before you were allowed to go in and shop, you would they would hand you a shovel and you'd have to shovel off a little bit of the walkway of the snowstorm because they didn't want their employees to do it. We got it all wrong, folks. We got to start boycotting those stores that have self checkout or never using them. Refuse to use them, yeah, I mean they make you use them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 6: Wanted nail glue because I used to wear a fake nailse I broke a nail. I want a nail glue that was singing items five dollars?
Speaker 3: What the hell?
Speaker 1: I mean, Well, again, if it's a small if it's a small item, they figured that the people who were dishonest will take it and slip it in their pocket. That's why, you know, that's why they're doing it. I don't know, Wendy. It's all moral relativism. It's it's a country. We used to be an honest country where people were honest with each other. And in stores now some people walk into the stores and say, these are big corporations. They're big companies. The profit margin of a drug store or the profit margin of a grocery store is not that great.
Speaker 2: You know, no, no, but I.
Speaker 1: Just think we're going I think we're going the wrong direction, and we got to turn it around.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I'm kind of old school when compani things. I don't like just I made this thing for the credit card. I like the old machine and the throw I'm mean, I'm kind of old and coming to alat I think, and this is one of it.
Speaker 1: I'm old school too. We can I'll join you in old school. Hey, Wendy, thanks so much for your call. We'll talk soon. Okay, appreciate it. Happy New Year, Yeah yeah, okay, thanks, good night. We'll take a very quick break here. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty, six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. We got one line at each of those numbers, so if you want to get in, I will cut this off at eleven. If we go to eleven, that's great. Uh, We're going to switch topics at eleven. I want to talk about the US Surgeon General's warning about a link between alcohol, all sorts of alcohol, whether it's wine, beer, spirits, hard liquor whatever, and cancer. Pretty serious stuff. I don't know what's going to influence people, particularly people you know who enjoy alcohol, because that's part of you know, enjoy a glass of wine, glass of beer or whatever. It's part of living life. Back on nights that we've got the news at the bottom of the era. I got who's coming up next, we got Mary, I got Patrick down in DC, and I got Linda. They're all set. All you gotta do is joint dial either one of our numbers. We'll get you in six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty six, one, seven nine, No guests tonight, no schedule guest, You're my guest, dial Away, coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 5: It's night Side with Dan Ray on.
Speaker 7: Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, we are talking tonight about the whole question of as I indicated before, these stores that now are walking things up. I I just think from a from a practical point of view, it's driving customers away. I know it's going to drive me away eventually. Uh. And stores are just reacting wrong to this, this spate of again theft, That's what it is. Just the theft more but it's moral relativism. People look at it and say, well, I can steal a toothpaste. I mean, look, stores should have taken a different posture toward it. They should have hired police, details and let the word go for it. You're not ripping this store off. We got problems in this country and we got to turn We got to turn it around. Let's go to Mary and Newton. See what she has to say. Mary. I don't know if you agree or not, but I think that that this is an unfortunate sign and I hope that we can turn this thing around. What say you.
Speaker 6: Happy?
Speaker 8: To me again, thank you for taking my call to make a long story short as quick as I can. I do agree. I do thank you. I do agree with you one And I have to say, what gets locked up and everything is because you good have to suffer for the bad. When the bad to do things like this, the good have the supper. And you know, besides people stealing things, I think people walk into stores purposely without cash and being hungry. They walk into the stores they do shopping if they really have to. But then again, they walk around the aisles, they take their time, they can believe they're doing something, and before you know it, when you're carefree going down those aisles, you're seeing wrappers stuffed up, stuffed behind spaghetti boxes, You're seeing egg boxes empty. You're finding h crack boxes opened up and up laying around another aisle. They going hungry. They I mean, what is this? They got no respect, no concern. They just walk in and do what they want. What are they taking?
Speaker 1: Well, the reason they do that is a lot of the stores took the posture of we're not going to interfere with this. So what happens is the word spreads And if if you were of such a mindset that you feel that you have a right to walk into a store and take whatever you want and not pay for it. The word gets around, you tell your buddies. Your buddies tell you, and all of a sudden you say, hey, I can walk in there and do what I want. And you walk in, you walk out. Then they've they've they've created the stores have created their own problem. They should have a security guard, police officer. You know, if the store is getting hit. If the store is not getting hit, then you don't need it. But once you see them getting hit, you got to have. You got to react. The other thing which all these stores should have, they should have buzzers, you know, buttons that the clerks can push very discreetly. They don't have to call nine to one. One on the phone, goes directly to the local police station, says we've got a robbery in progress, and get the police down there as quickly as possible. I I don't know what cost you saw something like that. One thousand dollars, two thousand dollars. It's well worth it.
Speaker 8: That's true, Dan, I believe it, And you know, I believe that the managers and everything are probably afraid one. Number one, not losing customers when there's a way they can teach. Try to teach customers that they're doing themselves wrong by not going back to the store because they want to go the way they want not follow rules, and you know, it's like they want to go their way and that's wrong. And I believe the store is afraid of what that person would do to them or to the store, and of losing customers. I believe they're not actually looking at it. And they do have security, but I don't know what the hours are or anything, but they should be enforced and be more structed in that. I believe if this customers will understand, they will continue to go back to that store if they like it and believe it.
Speaker 1: You should be in charge of security at some of these stores. Simple as that. You're you got it down. Thanks Mary, Happy New Year.
Speaker 8: You're welcome. You took him to you again. Thank you tonight you too.
Speaker 1: Let me go to Patrick in DC. Patrick, I saw I read your email today. You thought my audio level was down a little bit. I uh, thank you for that little that observation.
Speaker 7: Go right ahead, yes, you know, speaking of little things that I went to school in Philadelphia and I am originally from Washington, d C. I guess I would have a super super PhD. In little triviality, that's just that anybody when we start with triviality during Washington DC. I guess maybe it's just it's just spread out the country, you know, that has to do any tiny little things that's gonna be so going. You did read the one way email. If you're coming to Washington, DC, do not drive over thirty miles per hour.
Speaker 1: You saw that. Yeah, camvas everywhere, right, but.
Speaker 7: They're supposed to warn you. But also they're supposed to post the speed limit in a legal regulation sign. And she she does did that. If you come into town, you buzz out, get your red light ticket, uh, and they want one hundred dollars, and you know you're out of town.
Speaker 1: You know, well, well they've figured they've just figured that's another revenue stream.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like yeah, yeah, well we get you coming and going up here. In Boston, they're they're they're talking about putting a tax, uh the city council and we may have the councilor on who's who's advocating this a tax on soda products, meaning we call it soda up here, pepsi and coke and all the different mountain dew and gatorade and stuff like that. And because they're not water, they they you know, they want to try to tax them. And again, well, how much money are they going to raise and what are they going to do with it? I mean, they tax you on everything, and of course you pay your federal taxes. Then you got to pay your state taxes, and in New York you gotta pay your city income tax. And now they're going to get you for the congestion pricing tax or fee, whatever you want to call it. Government has an appetite with this which is insatiable. Patrick. And so you know, people go to Washington and they like, oh, let's let's go down and see the White House and the Capital, the mall and the Capitol and all of that, the Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial. And then they come back two weeks later and they find out that they have twenty you know tickets on their car.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right right. Because sometimes they do not put in the no parking signs. They'll use a tree as a marker. And this has happened before. They use a tree. They don't have a sign that says no parking. Right, let me ask you.
Speaker 1: I want to get you back to what we're talking about tonight, and that is down in Washington. I know that there's Uh. I've spent some time in Washington, not nearly as much as you, obviously, But when you walk into your your big I guess you probably have Walgreens in CVS. And I'm trying to remember what's the big drug store chain down in DC.
Speaker 7: It will be right now at CVS, right.
Speaker 1: But there used to be one and I was down there for a while that well, Walgreens and CBS are the big nationals. Have they knocked? There was? I think they were right Aids. There were other ones anyway. How much of the inventory in those stores in Washington, d c.
Speaker 2: Is under lock and key in those.
Speaker 7: In those neighborhood type stores a lot. And one of the things now that in the grocery stores is locking up and putting behind the counter these dish the soap powder that.
Speaker 1: Yes, wait your dish wise, I said, your dishwash your detergent, or you dishwash it.
Speaker 7: And you wash it and your clothes washer. The tide tie and tie is big out the door is very big out the door. And here it isn't that bit you know? They're in that a large orange container.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but now the not easy to get seal. You can't put those in your pocket and run to your coat too easily.
Speaker 7: No, no, you really can't, but you unless you're wearing the big coat.
Speaker 2: They do come in.
Speaker 7: With the idea to steal, and they have little rating parties and they do that and it has to also go with how they dress their fashion. And they'll they'll they'll load up underneath. One of the cute thing is when you used to you would see the underwear of somebody sticking up above. Right, okay, so what would happen They would start lowering the baggies and lowering the baggies all right. And what they do is they just go along and drop their stuff down in there, because you know you're not going to go down in there and walk, you know, And they have this baggy kids. It's just very it's very clever. It's very sad. They'll do a rating party.
Speaker 1: But how do you how do you put how do you steal a big box, not a big box, but a big container of tide that's a big plastic container that probably weighs ten pounds, right.
Speaker 7: They what they do is they they put it in with other things and they just down to the bottom of the basket and hand it to one person, handed to the next person, and there's you know, like a basketball relay, and right out the door goes okay.
Speaker 1: And then the other question is, so I assume they're not stealing it for themselves. They're stealing it to to to sell the capitol. I guess. Oh yeah, so it's cost fifteen bucks and they're going to resell it for seven Yeah, yeah, wow, Well that's great. This is the nation's capital. They can't even clean up the nation's capital. Oh my god, they have to.
Speaker 7: They're going to have to st ans capital and they're gonna have to.
Speaker 1: And that's well, we'll see, I hope. So I hope. So if not, the whole country is going to go. Maybe we'll all have to move to a place like Kansas where it's where it's simple and safe and some there are some old time values in America.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, real quick, due to the fact that I get to move around this area and go mid Atlantic is my area. I'll go into Pa into smaller towns stopping works, relaxed and they can help you and you don't have to even worry about anything like that. It's very very nice. So there it is by jurisdiction. Not every jurisdiction is that that way. But you know, a large store like Walmart will have a lot of theft and things like that. But you can go into other areas where.
Speaker 1: You hire hire some some security and shut and stop it. Simple as that, you know, simple as that. In my opinion, Patrick, I'm up with my brag. I get out your run as always, enjoy your calls. Thanks much, my friend. Big week, big goings on this weekend. Are you in the city.
Speaker 7: Are you out of the No, no, no, no no, I get out of the city when it comes about Thanksgiving, out of the back till February.
Speaker 5: It's just not right.
Speaker 7: Let me, it's not right.
Speaker 1: All right, man, talk soon, okay, ever, go by Happy Inauguration day. All right, we get some move. I got Steven Revere coming up. Room for a couple more and we're gonna break this at eleven. So if you're holding on saying, I'm gonna get last word six one seven, two five four ten thirty six one seven nine three one, ten thirty. Different topic. On the other side of the eleven. Alcohol is causing cancer according to the US Surgeon General. Back on night Side, we got Steve and I'd love to have you join us. No guest tonight, you're the guest six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. Back on nights Side. After this brief break.
Speaker 5: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: Allright, let's go to Steve and Revere. Steve, you were next at night Side. We're talking about small items toothpaste, the odorant, shampoo be locked up in pharmacies because they're concerned about pilfridge.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Hi, Dan, how are you? You know, it's kind of sad. Well, spending forty years in my career in retail as some form of management for the past thirty now retired. Ye, it's kind of interesting. But I had a call if I heard the tide story, but the a whole different spin on that. A lot of the chemicals that are taken. You'd be surprised at how many people will commit with water bottles and just pour the chemicals right in the water bottles and take some dryer sheets to go along with it, just enough what they need. But I just started how to get that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy, It's absolutely crazy. Yeah, you said you were in retail for thirty years. Okay, that's to tell me what type of stories you were working at. But my question, my question is.
Speaker 2: Has it always been this bad or you know, I have to say that the past ten years of my career was probably the worst that I've seen. The shrink rate go up in our companies that were astronomical shrink rates between four and six percent. And of course some of the cities I worked in shrink rate is Pilfridge, Pilfridge. Correct, Yes, that's correct, And a real funny story. I'll tell you one place I worked for. They're no longer in business. I spent I worked twelve years at Sports Authority and we used to get the Patriot shirts and all the team shirts walked up. We put them on what was called the floorway. Would they were scream a locks? You would think that you couldn't take them off a fourway. Well, well, and behold the Somerville store that I worked in, and what was sports? I thought he was at the at the mall, they literally walked out the door with the whole rack down the street, so you'd be amazed. I tell you, some stories work and there was just I don't know, it's just sad. I can't believe the risk of people take and the things that they do. It's crazy, it really is. But I just wanted to shed a little light on that.
Speaker 1: So you're is, why do okay, explain this one to me? Why do the stores one tolerate this? It would seem to me that if your shrink rate your pil fridge is four or five six percent, that's a lot of money. Why not hire a security guard, police officer just as a deterrent. Why did they do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny they have them, but they don't keep them in the stores because they don't want to pay the cost. And sadly, you know where that cost is going. It's going right to the consumer. Because the higher the pilfridge, the price changes. Once a month, we would get a price change report and believe it or not, ninety percent of the time those price changes would be increased as supposed to being decreased.
Speaker 1: So therefore the store, So from the store's point of view, as they must know what time of day theft occurs. Obviously, they must know what time of month theft occurs, and they also must know what day week it's likely. I assume it's more likely on a Thursday or a Friday night going into the weekend than it is on a Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Well, believe it or not, your highest shrink rates opens could be when you first open, your first hour and your last hour, because believe it or not, they have the least amount of employees on it at that time because they know they're not going to get busy, and if they only have a manager working with a cashier and maybe one flour associate. Basically, that's the best time to come in and do what you need to do. And it's just and they most companies today do have no chase policy. You're not allowed to chase or interact. You can only give them good, good shopping experience by constantly being on top of them. But then unfortunately, when you get pulled away, if you have a delivery at a back door or something like that. And the people these customers know that, well they're not all the customers is the ones that know the game. They know once you're out back handling a call that you have to be at a back door to receiving DOC. They know exactly what's going on, and that's the time when they make their move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's pretty sad. It's pretty sad familiar that the companies have given.
Speaker 2: Up and that's why so many of these stores are closing in the inner cities.
Speaker 1: Well, and then the people who suffer are the older people who do not have the ability to maybe they don't have a car. There are a lot of folks who are older, have never even learned to drive, and all of a sudden, that lifeline, that pharmacy there was one or two blocks away now is five miles away.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And they're the people who suffer the most. And on these stores, you know, whoever they are, whatever they are, they should hire police detail. It's going to cost them a little bit of money, but they're gonna they're gonna save the money because of the pilfridge we all away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'll tell you on that note. Years ago, I did work. I also worked for Christmas tree shops for many years, and the one I worked for was in Lynnfield and they actually had police detail When they first opened, they had police detail at night and on the weekends, and then as the years went on they did away with it because they didn't want to pay the expense.
Speaker 1: Well again, it's it's I understand that if there was no pilfriage, but once the police left, I assume you got pilfridge. You got. It comes back to the concept they talked about, and that is what's called moral relativism. It's like I walk into the store and I said to myself, that toothpaste, that's fifteen dollars. You know I don't need to pay fifteen dollars. Let me. I'll walk out of here with it because I have a right to it. And I'm serious. That's yeah, it's moral relativism. The store. The store makes a lot of money. Now they don't need my money. You rationalize it, You rationalize it. There's no danger involved, no one's going to stop me. It becomes it becomes easy. Steve. I appreciate you your perspective. It's interesting to hear how things have changed.
Speaker 2: Sure, thank you so much for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Thank you much for listening to my friend. And happy New year.
Speaker 5: Same to you.
Speaker 1: But by no will we get back we go to talk about another problem. Yeah, and the problem is the link between alcohol and cancer risk and what can be done about it. And I'd also like to have you weigh in as to whether or not this warning from the Surgeon General is going to make you look at your relationship with beer, wine, or hard liquor. Back on Nightside, right after the eleven o'clock news