Speaker 1: Five o five at fifty five k r c DE talk station.
Speaker 2: Friday e some sation.
Speaker 3: And that's the way the news goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess it is happy for Friday folks. Brian Thomas right here, glad to be, glad to see Joe treker Ory belongs and looking at the rundown. I'm really happy and excited to have Ken Cober FLP president back on. Talk about the FOP firefighters filing a complaint over the Cincinnati's Emergency Communications Center Responder program. Gonna join the program at six thirty. Looking forward to talking with you, Ken. If you're tuned in right now, I have stayed. Representative Jennifer Gross joins the program at seven o five, talk about Ohio Medicaid Committee. We're not really good when it comes to Medicaid payments and ferreting out fraud, waste and abuse here in the state of Ohio. We're gonna find out they're gonna be any changes to the system. Donald and el Americans for Prosperity, protecting prosperity and the Trump tax cuts. Got that event at the farm which is free. Americans for Prosperity is paying for your dinner. We'll get the details from Donovan on that at seven thirty. It's a Restore Liberty dot Us. George Brenman on yesterday talking about his new wellness website, but also through in a plug for the Restored Liberty dot Us Dinner at the Farm featuring Americans for Prosperities Donovan and Neil and a free meal. Thanks to them, Michael Walsh got the book A Rage to Conquer Twelve Battles that changed the course of Western History. Michael joined the program dato A five on that one and the AA Jay Ratliffe on the Rundown as he is every Thursday at eight thirty. Today, we talked about the latest on the Delta Toronto crash. I did get a chance to watch the video of that. Wow, that's just amazing that no one died in that just really mind boggling. See if he has any insight onto how that actually happened. I've heard lots of speculation on a plane hit the ground too hard, the wind was blowing sideways, all kinds of speculation on that. Trump firing hundreds of FAA employees and calls in space X to see about needed FAA upgrades. We all know the antiquated system they're using the Federal Aviation Administration and the control towers for airplanes. That goes back to like the nineteen fifties or post World War two. So yeah, probably needed an upgrade. It reminds me of the City of Cincinnati, just you know, having all of these projects that need to be done, infrastructure that's already in place. Ask screw it, we need something new. Let's go build something new and then ignore that. Please see General Aviation crash claims two lives in a mid air collition. That one just happened the other day. We'll talk about that with Jay see what he knows about it. And Airlines added again seeking to reverse December rule requiring penalties for breaking wheelchairs. Okay, oh man, and pardon me if I'm struggling a little bit today. I don't know anybody listening audience has had the laser treatment for glaucoma. I do have a family history of glaucoma, and guess what have valcoma. So after taking drops for many years, apparently the drops don't work after a while, and then you get a little holes blasted in your eyeball with a laser. I had that done yesterday in my right eye and supposed to be done again next week for my left My eye hurts like hell today and I'm having a difficult time focusing. So if I fumble around a little bit more than normal, and I always fumble around, you know the reason why I've got my lights turned pretty low in here today because it's kind of light sensitive as well. Anyhow, sorry for my you know, just letting you know about my own personal troubles. These so don't try to labor the listening audience with them, but just trying to provide you an advanced explanation. Five on three, seven four nine fifty, five hundred, eight hundred and eighty two to three talk hit pound five fifty. If you have an AT and T phone, save me from myself, feel free to call. I thought this was cool. I will see if it stands. I probably someone will immediately rush into court to see if they can unring the bell that Donald Trump rang last evening by signing an executive order ending the use of your taxpayer money for federal resources supporting illegal immigration and illegal aliens. You can do that, apparently, so at least you can try, they said, the goal of the executive order is to ensure that quote, taxpayer resources are used to protect the interest of American citizens, not illegal aliens. Apparently, under the order of the federal departments and agencies have to identify and end all federally funded programs providing financial benefits to illegal aliens. Also seeks to ensure federal funds are not being used to support sanctuary policies and parathetically, we learned yesterday from Judge ent To Polatano interesting column on that one. The DOJ tabled the prosecution of Mayor Eric Adams in return for his agreement to help the federal government get rid of the illegal aliens, most notably the illegal immigrant criminals that are plaguing New York. Some people a little miffed about that. I think Judge of Polatana called it out on an ethical question whether or not that should even be, that it is even appropriate, which on many levels I understand, But it was just the funny thing about it was dismissed without prejudice, which in the law means they just stopped the prosecution, but they can reopen it at any time in the future, So they've got this, as the judge referred it, sort of damnically. He's hanging over Adam's head. So to the extent he doesn't make good on his promises to cooperate with Ice and federal authorities dealing with the illegal immigrant criminal population and getting rid of them, then they'll just open the litigation or the criminal prosecution back up. A dismissal without prejudice means it's done and over with stick a fork in it. You can't bring it back anyhow. Subtle distinction that, but fifty five care sea dot com for the podcastfeeding in here get to hear judge ended a politana's analysis anyway. According to the reporting, the order states, my administration will uphold the rule of law, defend against the waste of hard earned taxpayer resources, and protect benefits for American citizens in need, including individuals with disabilities and veterans. According to the fact sheet issued by the White House, President Trump is committed to safeguarding federal public benefits for American citizens who are truly in need, including, as I mentioned, individuals with disabilities and veterans. So the corresponding White House fact sheet quotes the executive order that Donald Trump signed cut and paste now in terms of facts and figures, whopping amounts spent on illegal immigration. You if you work and pay taxes, we're responsible for an estimated four hundred and fifty one billion dollars to care for illegal immigrants and guideways in the United States unlawfully since just twenty twenty one. And that is according to the US House and Homeland Security Committee. They did the number crunching on that one You, if you work and Pay taxes, has spent one hundred and eighty two billion, at least annually to cover the cost of twenty million illegal aliens and their children. Sixty six point five billion of that federal dollars and one hundred and fifteen point six billion from state and local expenses. Apparently, the Center for Immigration Studies estimated that one million illegal aliens cost the American taxpayers three billion dollars annually through welfare programs, which are not supposed to be available to those unlawfully in the United States according to the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act in nineteen ninety six. Now I'll be the first person, todmit I wasn't aware of that law. A lot of people have been asking the question out loud, how is it that an illegal immigrant can get money from the federal government. How is it that we keep buying and paying for stuff and things for folks who are here illegally. Well, according to Fox News reporting, they're not under that particular act. However, there is apparently a caveat illegal aliens granted parole become classified as qualified aliens when it comes to welfare programs, allowing them to become eligible for benefits with full eligibility granted after five years. So maybe it's that parole component that Biden put into place. If you are declared a parole EU are now eligible in spite of that specific Reconciliation Act in nineteen ninety six. Hmm, magical, isn't it. Let's see here, Executive orders stated the federal and state taxpayers paid more than sixteen point two billion dollars to provide Medicaid funded emergency services to illegal aliens. That estimate from the Congressional Budget Office, not some Republican subcommittee puting numbers together for people who are skeptical and cenecal. But you can be skeptic golden cenecal about the Congressional Budget Office numbers as well. I'm just quoting the figures that they came up with. It's a lot of money, is the point. Facts, She continued to bude administration gave billions and taxpayer dollars to left wing groups that facilitated mass illegal migration and provided legal services and challenges to deportation orders. They also pointed out FEMA allocated more than one billion billion dollars to illegal aliens since twenty twenty one, rather than FEMA money going to say, the flooded folks in North Carolina, which comes up in conversation regularly, and as I suppose, I don't know if it's connected with this specific ill order that he signed last night, or it's because Doge has been cracking down on a lot of these out payments. The US Catholic Bishops have sued the Trump administration for shutting down refugee funding, and it amounts to tens of millions of dollars. So you get hooked up to the aubilical court of the federal government, even if you're the US Catholic Bishops and the Catholic Church. That isn't money you can count on. How much are the parishioners going to give you in church on Sunday? You don't know how much is the federal government going to give you and how long will they fund your program? You don't know, you're not entitled to. It would be my argument we can get to take a little bit of a dive into the specifics of those allegations in the lawsuit. But the Trump administration also halted seven hundred and sixty nine million dollars for a contract to a left wing group that is really all about keeping the illegal immigrants in our country and doing anything they can within their power to stop deportation under any circumstances. So you have advocacy groups, groups that are actively facilitating bringing illegal immigrants into our country and advocating that there shouldn't be any specific exclusion on them, that the system is designed intentionally designed to exploit, exclude criminalized detainer to poor people deemed to be undeserving of inclusion in our national fabric, particularly black and brown people. The Acacias Center seven hundred and sixty nine million dollars for the services they provide, when that is the advocacy that they're involved with. Now, I'm tired of paying for messaging the flies in face of what I believe in, and well ultimately messaging an impact which is harmful to the American people. Go back to the budget amounts and the expenditures I just mentioned, and we're broke by the way, five eighteen ft five kr CD talk station, be right back.
Speaker 4: Taking the court.
Speaker 1: Five at fifty five KRCD talk station five one three, seven, four nine fifty five hundred, eight hundred eighty two to three talk go with pound five fifty if you have an AT and T phone at five kr SE dot com or for George Brenneman and the Restore Wellness Campaign. Also Judge editor Politano Love talking to Daniel Davis, Deep Dive, Breitbart Inside Scoop all the podcasts right there, as well as an opportunity to get the iHeart Media, which I strongly encourage you to download. So back over to the US Cathleen Bishops fire in a lawsuit and where are the where are all this separation of church and state people? I mean, at every turn, the left jumps out of their skin when you find out that federal money or even state money ends up in the hands of some religious organization and they, you know, ACLU or somebody runs in the court to try to stop that from happening. How come it's different when all these religious organizations are getting your taxpayer dollars to facilitate illegal immigration in our country, not mean just helping people out once they're here, but actually to engage in active you know, bringing them in. So I I'm just curious to know what happened to them usually crawling out of the woodwork. And isn't one of the missions that when you give money to if you're a Catholic, give money in the plate. Isn't part of the money to serve the Christian mission of helping people in need?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: I know you got to pay for the big building in the church and the HVAC system and the salary of the people that worked there, and on and on and on and on and on. But I thought a slice of the action was supposed to go to help fulfill the Christian mission. Isn't why you used the church in order to fulfill the mission?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Well, you're talking with their own priest about that, But apparently they have to rely on federal dollars. So we have this non governmental organization Catholic non governmental organizations final lawsuit against the Trump administration because they halted funding for the refugee resettlement program found in the US District Court of District Columbia. The US Conference of Catholic Bishops said that six thousand and seven hundred admitted refugees were assigned to the program for Refugee Resettlement, and then the Trump administration ended its funding, which they claim could jeopardize their efforts. Bishops apparently claimed that the funding means it is now on the hook for millions in costs incurred, which they suggest as the violation of federal laws. In other words, you promised us the money. We actively entered into, you know, a belief that you were going to give us the money, requiring us and obligating us to you know, follow through with it, and now the money's cut off. Well, if this is part of the Catholic mission, maybe as slice of that plate, money should fill the void here that the Trump administration is taken away just saying, according to the lawsuit, as a direct result of the suspension of the USCCCB has millions of dollars in pending unpaid reimbursements for services already rendered to refugees, and is accruing millions more each week, with no indication that any future reimbursement will be paid, or that the program will ever resume. They say it has already been forced to initiate layoffs for fifty employees. Joke because of the Catholic organization. Should we feel more sorry for the employees laid off under this program than the federal government employees that have been laid off during this Absolutely not. That was a quick You didn't even hesitate. If the funding is still suspended without court intervention, the USCCB faces irreparable damage to its long standing refugee resettlement programs and its reputation and relationship with its sub recipients and the refugee population it serves. Huh, knock down a notch in terms of reputation among the refugees. Wait a minute, they're not giving me handouts anymore.
Speaker 5: Damn it.
Speaker 1: Er Catholic Church or that actionable law would argue that the resettlement program isn't foreign aid and is instead a domestic program to help newly arrived refugees meet initial needs. USCCB spends more on refugee resettlement each year than it receives in funding from the federal government, but it cannot sustain its programs without the millions in federal funding that provide the foundation of this private public partnership. Well, I think one could easily observe that this is in fact, the US Catholic bishops are actually fulfilling the mission of the Catholic Church helping out these poor, deprived people that don't have homes and food and shelter and medicine and all that kind of stuff that is I would say, arguably within the confines of the Catholic doctrine and most Christian doctrines helping those in need. So by the federal government funding this operation, are we not funding these spread of the organization's mission teachings of Catholicism and Christianity generally. And the American taxpayer money is then given to the Catholic Church, who's worried about its reputation here, right, because if the newly arrived immigrant population are being served by the Catholic Church, they don't know where the Catholic Church got the money, so they give credit to the Catholic Church. Right And since Catholic Church can't continue this mission without federal taxpayer dollars, their reputation is being harmed, not Donald Trump's the White Houses or the federal government's reputation for cutting off the money the Catholic Church's reputation. So this ultimately is a marketing thing for the Catholic Church, and that seems to me to be potentially a violation of the First Amendment. I'm just saying. By twenty seven, fifty five kres the detoxication. Got some local stories coming up, or you can call, which I would love, so feel free to do so.
Speaker 6: It'll be right back fifty five KRSS.
Speaker 1: Some florries out there this morning, and the roads can be very slick in places, so please please be careful when you're driving in this morning. Today's h I twenty two mostly clouds, overnight mostly cloudy as well, with a little thirteen. Got a little sun coming in tomorrow. Flood warning ends at one thirty pm. High of thirty degrees overnight well at thirteen, and on Saturday we'll walk to thirty seven degrees with mostly clear skies. Fifteen Right now for the five kr CD talk stations about thirty FOP President Ken Kober fast forward one hour from now about the Cincinnati Emergency Communications Center Responders program and some concerns at GP and the fire. The FOP and the firefighters have on that one. Let us see here in the absence of phone calls diving local stories. So we approve recreational marijuana in Ohio, lawmakers now want to limit it and criminalize certain aspects of it. Senate Bill fifty six would ban public smoking driving while the driver or any passenger in the vehicle is using marijuana, and reduce the number of homegrown plants allowed by half, and increase the tax from ten seten percent to fifteen percent. And I read recently that the Michigan marijuana weed and it's been legalized a lot longer than Ohio. A lot of people go to Michigan. From what I hear, it's about half the price you pay in Ohio. So by jacking the tax up here in Ohio, I don't know that that necessarily is going to improve the revenue situation. But who am I. None of the proposed rules were part of the constitutional amendment passed by fifty seven percent of the voters here in the state of Ohio. Senator Steven Hoffman tip city behind the changes. In short, this bill is about government efficiency, consumer and child safety, and maintaining access to voter approved adult use marijuana. This same bill passed the Senate last General Assembly, but it didn't pass in the House. ACLU thinks the bill ignores the mandate from the voters, saying Ohio voters overwhelmingly supported issue too, says Gary Daniels, their chief lobbyist from the ACLU, and doing so, they endorse policies regarding adult use cannabis. SB fifty six now proposes to roll back these changes in hole or in part, in an affront of those same voters, well, voters who will be able to vote their people out of office around next time around if they're upset about this one anyway. The legislation apparently cuts in half the number of plans that can be grown in a home. You can do twelve now, but they want to cut it back to six. Joe, why not five or eight or seven? Or stay out of my house. You can get a ton of weed off of one plant anyway. Also lower the THC level from extracts from ninety percent to seventy percent. And also, and I don't know how you enforce this one ban sharing between adults. Does that mean you can't pass the Ducchi It also says you can't smoke weed after ten PM Joe amendment also mandates some of the tax billers be spent on social equity and jobs programs, but the bill eliminates that provision reduces the money spent to spend it on mental health and addiction services. Well, you know what we always say about Republicans in Columbus, Joe. From the ACLU's part, Finally, the ACU in Ohio urges this community to not rush this bill through the Senate. There's lots of interest in this issue across the Ohio, but many do not have an opportunity to testify today or have to a chance to fully review be one hundred and forty seven page bill with numerous provisions introduced less than one month ago. Your constituents deserve the chance to fully weigh on an important issue they pass so resoundingly before it is demolished by politicians. It just says thanks for the first time, Joe. He agrees with the ACLU on that one. Housing affordability says took but Randy Tucker props over to enquire took another hit. Kicking off the new year. In the Cincinnati area, asking rents went higher in January than any other major metro era in the country. Median asking rent that would be the typical list price for an apartment across all apartment times jump fifteen percent in January compared to the same month a year ago. This reported by Redfinn, biggest year over increase in asking rents among the fifty most populous US metro areas, pushing the typical monthly rent payment in the city of Cincinnati to fourteen and twenty dollars up from twelve to thirty five over the same period. Now that appropriately time, Joe rents up despite more new rentals coming online in the local market. Some experts predicting would soften rent increases because there's simply more supply to keep up with demand. But many of the apartments coming on the market in Cincinnati area and new developments high rent neighborhoods downtown over the Rhine, for example, which carries higher rants then while other locations and also provide amenities that people are looking for, pools, dogs, spas, fitness centers, connective communities. Is going to solve all this, though, Joe, just just wait for it. I'm sure those apartments are going to build in Hyde Park if that goes through. Yeah, those will be really affordable, so affordable five thirty six fifty five KRSED dog station. Stack is stupid? Coming up? Or call five one, three, seven, four nine fifty five hundred eight hundred eighty two to three talk hang on.
Speaker 6: Be right back fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: My name is Cark five forty one. If they do have KRCD talk station, let's go over to the phone before I getting Stack is stupid. Got Jerry on the line. Jerry, thanks for calling this morning. A very happy Friday eve to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, happy Friday to YouTube. Right, quick question, there's numbers you gave for the illegal immigrants that were caused that were that we're paying. There's bank the last census in twenty twenty three, should three hundred and thirty five million people in the United States? What would that work out to per person?
Speaker 1: I'd have to get my calculator out for that one. Man.
Speaker 8: I'm just curious that I don't think.
Speaker 7: The US citizens are actually looking at what that actual cost is per person. Yeah, we have that could benefit even more people.
Speaker 1: Well, when when when you when you actually ultimately do the calculations, you know, it sounds like it's going to be a big, fat, you know, like ten fifteen thousand dollars per human in the United States and in the math usually doesn't work out that way, but you can do the division. I mean, we're talking about a total figure of four and fifty one billion, and we have three hundred and fifty say million people. So I'll just I have to go to my calculator and just do the division on that one. But it's an eat, I don't think.
Speaker 7: I just I just don't think anybody who is looking at it as the cost per person.
Speaker 3: Too for that.
Speaker 7: And I did you hear there any more billions and trillions thrown around like it's a like at the dime and a nickel. I don't think if they actually brought it down to the individual person, I think it would make more sense.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more. But you know, that's why I always try to express like a billion is a thousand stacks of a million. You know, if you walk through that process, you start realizing how much money you're talking about here, and it's it's it's I mean, it's it's like it's like looking at one of those Hubble space telescope pictures of the universe and seeing all those tiny thousands and tens of thousands, if that millions of blips of light and wreck and noting that each one is a galaxy, not a star, but a galaxy, and it just it ends up frying your mind out. That's the kind of dollars we're talking about here, Jerry.
Speaker 7: I just I'd love that what that number is. We use people always complaining about, you know, how much are going to cost? And how much does that cost? Well, how much does that costing each individual person? Eggs are expensive right now, but how many eggs? How many dozen eggs could I buy with the money if the government gave that to me instead of one of the league.
Speaker 1: Lands twelve thousand, eighty five dollars.
Speaker 7: Per person, And that's per year that we're spending.
Speaker 1: On that on that's actually the four hundred and fifty one billion dollars cited in the information from the House and Homeland Security Committee that since twenty twenty one, So that is not an annualized cost, annual cost one hundred and eighty two billion dollars with sixty six or one hundred and eighty two billion with sixty six and a half billion coming from the FEDS and one hundred and fifteen points six billion coming from the various state tax payers. So but you know what, I imagine every American since twenty twenty one, they would prefer getting a check for twelve hundred and eighty fi five dollars of knowing it's going to illegal immigrants who really aren't legally supposed to be here. Right right there, you.
Speaker 7: Go, all right, I appreciate it from Atlanta, and we'll be listening the rest of there.
Speaker 1: Oh fantastic, man, that's cool, thanks for calling. You get the biggest kick out of that what Dave's got this morning day, Welcome to the Morning Show, and Happy Friday eve to you.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 8: I am usually sending messages under the name of Dave the tax Nerd, because they really have a tax nerd with a master of the taxation and experiences contempt to organization.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I hope I don't.
Speaker 8: Bore the hell out everybody. But there is actually a volume published that lists, if they so, Catholic charities and it says, thick volume of the demo organization. The Catholic Church generally can afford very good experts on their subjects, so usually they don't get themselves in a whole lot of trouble. There's a pignant church.
Speaker 1: Well, i'll tell you what in the interesting time, boil the point down. Just boil it down.
Speaker 8: Okay. Generally exempt organizations cannot conduct illegal activities. They're okay, So if they are, that's an issue. Uh. The advocacy of issues that's been greatly weakened by court case of the seventies called Big Bomber RAG has allowed a lot more propaganda than it's usually in the rags. But if they are actually conducting illegal activities, we're back to having issues with exempt organization similar to the whole Tea party mess. You you'll see some charities that are connected to a church that are not the church. So, uh, this is deep in the weeks, but I think we're in for some more fun with the illegal activities with illegal.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yes, yes, I agree completely, And these things will take time to work out. Maybe Justice Department needs to do an investigation of the FBI needs to follow the money trail. We need to investigate what the advocacy has been done on and whether they're facilitating actually bringing in illegal immigrants which may violate laws. I agree with all that, but you got you gotta wait and net and it takes time, and it takes effort. At least this administration is in trying to apply the time and effort necessary to ferret it out. Thanks for calling tax Nerd Dave, Good to hear from you. Is for five forty seven for five Kcity Talk station fifty five KRC.
Speaker 4: Run a business and not thinking, there's.
Speaker 1: Your Channa nine weather forecasts. Careful on the roads out there this morning, They're slick. We're gonna have a high of just twenty two degrees, A few flories out there this morning, and clouds all day over night low with thirteen with clouds high thirty tomorrow, some sun and a flood morning does end a one thirty pm tomorrow, overnight little thirteen with clowns and a mostly clear Saturday going up to thirty seven fourteen degrees.
Speaker 9: Now time for traffic from the UCL Traffic Center. You see health. You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at u sehealth dot com. Setbound seventy five is shut down at Paddock due to an accident involving a semi with a fuel spill. That wreck is a little bit closer to the lateral. Traffic's being diverted off of the highway at Paddock and you're backing into Lachland. There's a wreck set bound seventy one on the Jeremiah Morrow Bridge right side Chuck Ingramot finfty five kre see the talk station.
Speaker 1: About fifty to fifty five KRCD talkstation. FOP President Ken kober Returns got some complaints going on over the Cincinnia Emergency Communications Center Responder program, and Ken's going to enlighten us on the details on that coming up in about a half hour MAB forty minutes. Spot in the next hour. Let us see here. Maybe Pete calling in right now, but in the meantime, stack is stupid. Leading off with Nathaniel, note the name Nathaniel morin California Advisor to the Federal Ministry or Canadian rather Advisor's important that it's Canada because they have different laws there. Canadian Advisor to the Federal Ministry of Women apparently released a statement defending I'm going to say his participation in women's marathons and other running competitions as a transgender yet biological male. So it's a guy claiming to be a chick, referencing Donald Trump's recent executive order of preventing trans athletes from competing in women's in girls' sports. In the statement quote, I am aware that my participation in so many competitions will be talked about because of my medical history. The situation in the United States, and the elements of certain politicians do not help either. He she whatever you jar your own conclusions, went on to say, with all due respect to level one level, I compete at amateur recreational levels. Specifically the state of scientific research in the field for the amateur recreation level and the fact that I have undergone a medical transition, I consider that I have the legitimacy to participate in the right category unless the law prohibits me from doing so. Let us remember that in Canada no law prohibits it, and for other countries, I will comply with local laws in force when it applies. Trans folks only want to fully integrate as their authentic self and be happy in our society. Well it's all about you, then, isn't it. That's not about the other girls that you have advantage over Look. Look right here, we have an illustration of that morin. She came in, he came. She came in first place in a five kilometer event on February fourth, time, twenty five thirty two, earning the title of quote fastest female close quote across all age categories runner up. An actual girl in the ten to twelve age category who did a twenty six oh eight would have come in first place had this more in we'll call her moron not competed. Had she competed in the men's category, the transgender runner would have come in tenth place among all male participants. Huh huh, but it's all about him or Two men from Colorad arrested up. They allegedly tried to smuggle tens of thousands of dollars worth of methan, fetamine, and tobacco into a federal prison in Louisiana by launching the contraband over a security wall using a professionally manufactured cannon. Why are you doing that? Professionally manufactured is in quotes Jose Francisco Herreramunez eighteen, Angel Gonzales Gutierrez nineteen taken into custody, charged with one count each of attempting to induce contract introduce contraband into a penal institution one count each of attempting to distribute meth amfetamine. News relaates from the Sheriff's office there so the two suspects were attempting to smuggle in eleven one hundred and twelve thousand dollars worth of tobacco and almost ninety thousand dollars worth a methan fetamine using a cannon. Sheriff Off said two suspects, both of whom are from Greely, Colorado, had planned to use the Canada launch the items over a security fence into the group's into the grounds of the federal prison. The cannon, which was propelled by compressed air, had a range of shooting items more than three hundred and fifty feet. Sheriff told local news there. The two suspects attempted to get the drugs into the facility. It wasn't successful, according to the sheriff, thanks to a very observant deputy, he was able to stop it before they were able to get the drugs into the prison. That much meth would have just been devastating in that population, said. The cannon they recovered was not a homemade gadget. He said, this was something not this was not something that was homemade. It was bought. It was professionally manufactured, and it's very powerful. Five point fifty five bitch five karosity talk station. Yeah, they could have used the drum. So they keep saying. You know, the border wall that Trump wants to build may very well deter and keep out the flow of human beings. But you know, modern drones these days, you can get quite a bit of meth over the just by why in it? Five fifty six don't go away? More to talk about plus Can Cober at six point thirty News.
Speaker 4: Happens fast, stay up to date at the top of the hour. Not going to be complicated, It's going to go very fast. Fifty five krz the talk station.
Speaker 1: It's time, Hey, six or six to fifty five kerr ced talk station happ e Thursday FRIDAYE call it what you want. Coming to the bottom of this hour, we're gonna hear from Can Cobler cover, the FOP president on the FOP and the firefighters filing a complaint regarding Cincinnati Emergency Communications Center Responder program. We'll learn about that together at the bottom of this hour. Fast forward one hour. Ohio State Representative Jennifer Gross joins the program to talk about Ohio Medicaid Committee, and we will ask whether there's gonna be any changes to the system described with being filled with sort of fraud, waste, and abuse. Anyhow, how much money is going out the door that shouldn't go out the door here in Ohio. Don't know if she has the answer to the question, but we'll certainly pose it to her. Donovan and the Americans for Prosperity fast forward to seven thirty Protecting Prosperity and the Trump tax cuts. They got that event at the farm coming up where the Americans for Prosperity is footing the bill for your dinner and explaining the legislation and talking about here in Ohio. Michael Walsh got a book coming up at eight o five, A Rage to Conquer Twelve Battles that change the course of Western History. And then, of course it being Thursday, every Thursday at eight thirty, we are blessed to hear from I heard me the aviation expert Jay Ratliffe. And let's turn to the phones five one, three, seven, four, nine, fifty eight hundred and eighty two to three talk Pete, thanks for calling this morning, and a happy Thursday to you.
Speaker 8: Thanks Brian.
Speaker 10: As all as ironic that the Biden administration was given hundreds of millions to the Catholic Church while simultaneously having that FBI intil trade them forgotten knows what reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I just want to know where all these anti church and state people are who always come out of the woodwork when a church ends up getting a grant or received a payment from a state or federal government. And obviously right now there are a bunch of you know, religious organizations getting heaploads of money from the American taxpayer merely because they are assisting illegal immigrants while at the same time fulfilling their Christian mission. I mean, you know, that's kind of the point I was making. It's good marketing for them. They don't go around explaining that all the money that they're spending on the illegal immigrants and these goods and services are providing to them comes from the American taxpayer as opposed to the Catholic Church contributions in the offering plate. Just contemplate it, that's all. Just you know, I mean, I find many of the arguments that are made about separation of church and state to be posterous, and there isn't a direct support of the church. It isn't the establishment of a religion. We don't have a theocracy here. If they're doing something that the government wants done, just like non religious organizations, and they I think they should have a place at the table to receive money as well. So I'm not really adopting this theory that I'm talking about. I'm just calling out those who regularly call out or the in file lawsuits to stop that type of thing from happening. Silence is deafening. I thought this is rather comical, of course, the Democrats pulling their hair out over Elon Musk and his efforts with the Department of Government Efficiency to ferret out fraud, waste and abuse and stop programs from getting money and all that kind of thing, and they don't have anything but screaming and yelling. And there are a lot of folks just making this point. James Carville the other day was talking about how miserable the Democrats look and sound and making these arguments against these cuts, defending the indefensible u On Jesse Waters. The other day, Dan Turantine apparently Democratic advisor asked about democrats strategy to vocally criticize Elon Musk's efforts. The number one thing in politics is you want to respect the people, he said, listen to them and solve their problems. We're failing the common sense test. Rather than saying, hey, you know, some of what they're finding, anybody in the right mind would say we should end it. Instead, we scream about everything, and so when we find stuff that, in our opinion, probably is worthy of discussion, the average voter says, forget it, and all you do is scream no, and they're crazy.
Speaker 5: True.
Speaker 1: John Lovett, former Obama speechwriter, Here's what he said. Honestly, some of this is pretty annoying because it's some of the stuff we should have done. We didn't know how you could do some of this, referring to the cuts that Musk and Doge are doing right now. I don't know if being a former Obama speech trib he give him any credibility, but we didn't know you could do some of this. Is that really? I mean's he's serious when he says that we all knew the government is slow, We all know the government can be inefficient. He said, we all know that the bureaucracy can be bloated. We all worked in the f wording White House. We tried to reorganize the government. We tried to find the efficiency. It's hard to do, said John frou Favreau, another Obama speech writer, sharing love of its frustrations. How about that, No, it's not hard to do. Musk is proving it right now. I love this Wall Street Journal article headline countering what these morons said. DOGE is searching for wasteful spending. It isn't hard to find. Every year, they point out, agency reports posted online document billions in improper payments, which include fraud, but also under payments, duplicate payments, payments to ineligible recipients for ineligible goods or services, court to the Government Accountability Office. They also include include correctly paid amounts that didn't follow regulations, such as contracts missing required signatures. So they're tracking this stuff and they have been for quite some time. They point the most recent fiscal year ending September of last year, the agencies that reported their improper payments identified one hundred and forty nine billion, which amounts about three point seven percent of payments from the four point one trillion. Laid out reports cover a large chunk of total government spending, which the CBO congratulate budget A Budget office puts its six point seventy five trillion dollars last fiscal year. Last year, they write more than ninety percent of improper payments were over payments. Far back as two thousand and two, Congress required agencies to estimate and report improper payments every year. The low strengthened in twenty ten, twenty thirteen, and twenty twenty. The estimates come from statistical samples of payments that the agencies check in detail, using methods approved by independent inspector general for each agency, like Todd Zenzer used to be inspector in general. So what do they figure out? I mean, here, here's the numbers are right here, Medicare three point one seven billion, Medicate thirty one point one billion, Medicare advantage nineteen point one billion. I could go on and read all of them, and every single department has already identified statistically that they pay out way too much money, countering what those other clowns said that oh, we wanted to do it, we just don't know how really engage in accounting practices be a little bit more mindful for the money goes out the door, Maybe require the appropriate coding on it, Maybe follow appropriate procedures so when it comes time to do an audit Pentagon, we'll know exactly what you spent the money on, which presently we don't. They just pay lip service. Over the years. It's a campaign talking point. Yes we're gonna fare it out Fraudway's and Abusess and no they're not. They're not gonna do damn thing about it. Finally, finally, we have an administration who actually is making good on what they promised to do, and it's blowing everyone's minds. Wait a second, he's doing what he's doing what he told he was gonna do, and he's I don't know, everybody listens to politicians on the campaign trail, goes yeah right, I hear you, Sure you are sure, you are right? Whatever? Yeah sure, And actually for I think but like the first time in anybody's life, we have a politician that is making good on the pledges made on the campaign trail and doing it in remarkable speed. I mean, who can argue that Trump and his administration haven't accomplished more than Joe Biden did in four years, five hundred and some odd number of days of which he was on the beach or staring and grabbing it, non existent butterflies flying around his head, God knows, five six, fifteen fifty five case the talk station three four nine fifty, five hundred, eight hundred eighty two three talko with pound five fifty if you had an AT and T phone.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: How about QC kinetics treatments? Listeners ask me about them all the time, don't want to know if they should consider it for their joint pain. So if I wonder if you're a good candidate. See if you answer yes any of these questions. First question, is your quality of life impacted by chronic pain in your knees, hip, shoulders, or other joints? Trouble sleeping, trouble walking, day to day movement? Do you want to avoid surgery and all of the pain, long recovery and uncertainty that comes with it. That's an easy one. And most importantly, do you miss doing the things you love because joint pain's holding you back from walking, golfing, jogging, things of that nature. Well, if you answered yes any of those foregoing questions, you're probably a great candidate. For QC Kinetics. Givee QC Kinetics a call right now and ask for a free consultation so you can learn how these latest advances in regenerative medicine can get your lasting pain relief with no drugs, no surgery, no downtime. QC Kinetics Free Consultation five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine. That's five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine. You see kinetics five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine.
Speaker 6: Fifty five KRC.
Speaker 4: The countdown is on to our.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's slick out there this morning, at least it was for me coming in, so please be careful, especially over those overpasses.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's gonna go up to twenty two today with a chance of flurries early this morning and just clouds all day long, clouds over night, down to thirteen tomorrow we get some sun. I have thirty with a flood morning ending at one thirty pm, thoty overnight, little thirteen in a clear day on Saturday, going up to thirty seven degrees fifteen.
Speaker 9: Right now, it's time for traffic from the UC up Trainfhing Center. You see healthy You'll find comprehensive care. That's so personal. It makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes, expect more at you see how dot com.
Speaker 4: Cruise continue to work.
Speaker 9: With an accident in southbound seventy five, the highways shutdown at Paddock due to that, traffic's backing into Lachland over a half hour delay northbound seventy five. There's a wreck on the ramp to westbound two seventy five left side.
Speaker 4: Chuck Ingram on fifty five krs. The talk station.
Speaker 1: Six twenty Happy Thursday five one three seven fifty five hundred eight hundred eighty two three talk and I go to the phone. It's got a couple of callers online and I start with west Saie Jim. Good to hear from you, Jim, my friend.
Speaker 7: Good morning, sir.
Speaker 1: How are you? I'm doing pretty good except for my right eye because I had that clock home a laser surgery yesterday and it's just bugging the hell out of me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: The wife had that done. Man, she had one done and then the other one they gave her a big problem with. So she's not in line.
Speaker 5: For that yet.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I've got to have the other one done next Thursday. So I'm not going to be on the radio because they scheduled at seven forty five, so I can't can't be here, and.
Speaker 11: They do the needle poking in the eye thing.
Speaker 1: Now it's just a laser they blast. I mean she must have blasted like fifty fifty little bursts of this laser. So they just to help them.
Speaker 11: Not fun, not fun at all, I guess.
Speaker 1: No, it didn't. It went by quickly, it didn't hurt. He felt like just the tiniest, tiniest little prick. But they said, you know, you may have some numbness or some pain and you know, something like along an aspirin level. And I did take my aspron this morning, but it's watery and I can't. I mean, I lose my focus pretty easily right now because of the just the weird reality of what's going on. Sorry to go down that road, but I'm just struggling with you asked how I was doing.
Speaker 11: I'll give you the reason I called, because I know you're short on time.
Speaker 5: You got another caller.
Speaker 11: Today is turning day for the petitions for mayor, and four o'clock is when they have to have them in and then we're done. That's who that's who's going to run. From what I understand, it's only going to be three people. Even though eight people pull petitions, I don't think the other one's got them. But the thing I want to tell you about was that kind of ironic was that a person was out collecting them yesterday, uh signatures? Was Mayor Purval.
Speaker 1: Collecting signatures?
Speaker 11: Yes, sir, he was out collecting signatures. So I don't know if he was running scared, or he's doing a photo op or or whatever. You know, some people pay to get their signatures done. You know they pay a group of people. Oh yeah, yeah, sure, that kind of deal. And I know one of them that is doing it. But you know, like I said, he was out collected the things yesterday, So I think that's kind of ironic, rather interesting duck. So anyway, hopefully you know Corey's are good and he gets he gets on the ballot, and I know Joe will have him on here real soon. He was on your sister station yesterday and he told me that he got a giant boost. He went out to the Hyde Park Kroger's and he said he had a giant boost and people coming over and.
Speaker 8: Signing his petitions.
Speaker 1: Oh good.
Speaker 11: So he's one of them that's not paying people to get him done.
Speaker 1: Understand that. And he was on my program I think first.
Speaker 11: Yes he was, Yes he was. And it took your sister station a week. So I'm kind of anxious and glad that you guys got him on first. Right out of the last thing is you can still go down early this morning to his coffee shop and sign the petition. So I'm merging people if they live in the city. And even though this is not a democratic basically station, a Democrat can sign those petitions. So it's not party I guess affiliated or whatever, it's open.
Speaker 8: It's open.
Speaker 11: Anybody can sign those petitions.
Speaker 1: Well, that's great, and I wish him all the luck in the world. I mean, at least in the final analysis, and he will benefit the process by interjecting some alternative thoughts into the conversation. That's what we need down there, all right, Sure, thanks Jim, appreciate the propping them up. And hopefully he gets in the race. That'd be fantastic. Let's see what George has got. George, thanks for holding there. Welcome to the program.
Speaker 7: Good morning, bron. I was just thinking that's we're deporting all these you know, low skilled workers, and we're freeing up all these bureaucrats. Do you think we could possibly train them to come up to those low skilled jobs kicking fruit vegetables?
Speaker 1: Come on, George, you know those are jobs Americans won't do. I'm from the answers. Of course they could take a position picking fruit. Of course they could. I'm sure they'll choose.
Speaker 4: Not to do that.
Speaker 1: But if you have a college education and that education doesn't provide you with a you know, all fundamental bases to do something that society wants and needs, then you have to find employment in some other field. And of course that is one option. Just can't imagine them doing it, but I like the idea. Six point forty five with you five kero Se Detalk Station. FOP President Ken Kober coming up next. First word for John Ryan, who is Prestige Interiors. It's his company and he's the one you're working with, and he's there for your kitchen remodeling project. Love what he did with our kitchen, and he'll he can pull off whatever particular kind of project you want to do. Big projects and small projects I think as small. I think of replacing cabins and countertops and keeping the kitchen exactly as it is, or gut the whole thing and start from scratch like we did, which, oh my god, what a terrific decision that was for our part. It transformed the kitchen. It's got better flow, better function, better storage, literally better everything. And he also found more space, which seems like impossibility when you're talking about four walls, but there it is. There's the beautiful job. We get to enjoy it every single day and you'll be very happy. John's an easy guy to work with, real sweet. He'll sit down with you from an initial design to final installation. You'll take care of everything you got. Any questions, concerns, problems, change orders, whatever happens to be one number talk to John and he will see that it happens. So uh call him A plus A better business for he's been at He's been to a kitchens almost exclusively for like thirty five years, so trust me, he's been there and done that. To reach him, you can do one of two ways. Get online. You go to Preste one two three dot com Prestes one two three dot com. Here's the phone number five one three two four seven zero two two nine five one three two four seven zero two two nine.
Speaker 6: Fifty five KRC.
Speaker 7: Turn up your radio.
Speaker 12: Here's the Sean handed any morning minutes Donald Trump. Now, some people say, well, why would Donald Trump do this?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 4: Because it needs to be done.
Speaker 12: We have seen the weaponization of our Department of Justice. We have seen the politicizing and weaponizing of our FBI and our intelligence community. And the President directed the Justice Department to fire all US attorneys left over from the Biden administration, all of them. And he said, therefore, I have instructed the termination of all remaining Biden error US attorneys. We must clean house, immediately restore confidence. They were there the whole time. Did any of them ever stand up at the Department of Justice and say that, wait a minute, this is not equal justice under the law.
Speaker 7: Check out the Sean Hannity radio show later today.
Speaker 4: Right here, Donald J.
Speaker 13: Trump is officially the next president of the United States of America. While millions of Americans are rejoicing in the victory, thousands of others are still concerned about their savings. The unfortunate truth is we still have thirty five trillion dollars in debt. The interest on that debt is now larger than our entire defense budget for the first time in history. Plus the wars that started under Biden are still raging across the globe. So what can you do to help protect your savings? Many Americans are already taking action by reaching out to the top rated precious metals company, gold Co. Right now, gold Co is offering a free gold and silver kit to show you how precious metals like gold and silver could help you diversify your savings before it's too late. Visit Hannitygold dot com or call eight five five eight one five gold to get your copy free of charge. Plus you could receive up to a ten percent match on bonus silver four qualified accounts. Visit Hannitigold dot com or call eight five five eight one five gold. That's Hannitygold dot Com paid for by gold Co.
Speaker 1: Jena nine says we have a cloudy day to day high of twenty two, and be careful on the roads. Dating the obvious if you're out there, but if you plan on going out, you'll find some slick spots, so please watch it. Overnight low of thirteen with clouds, high of thirty tomorrow. Flood warning ends at one thirty and we'll see some sun. The clouds every night down to thirteen and a clear day on Saturday with the higher thirty seven fourteen degrees. Right now, traffic time.
Speaker 4: From the you see, I'm traffic center.
Speaker 9: If you see health, you'll find comprehensive care that's so personal and make sure best tomorrow possible.
Speaker 4: That's boundless care for better oncomes.
Speaker 9: Expect more at you sehelp dot com Roll morning on seventy five southbound shut down with traffic being diverted off at Paddock HiT's over a half hour to lay out of Lacklan northbound seventy five Lane's block with an accident above seventy four Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRCE the talk station.
Speaker 1: Six thirty. Happy Thursday, Brian Thomas, always interested and happy when FLP President Ken Kober joins the program. Fraternal Order Peace Chapter sixty nine, representing the CINCINNTI Police Department. But talk about today what they and the firefighters are concerned about, which is the Cincinnati What is It? Community Responder Program? Ken, Welcome back to the morning show. Good to hear from you.
Speaker 14: Thank good morning, Brian, Thanks for having me all right let's.
Speaker 1: Start with what is the community Responder program? Like, this is something set up by city hall or by the by city council.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so this program is actually developed by the communications director emergency communications director, and the idea behind it is to basically take civilians that are going to answer calls for service instead of having things that traditionally.
Speaker 1: The police do, like calls in the nine to one one.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so when the call comes in from nine to one to one, then the communications director has instructed the dispatchers to instead of dispatching the police, they're going to dispatch the civilians instead of the police for certain runs.
Speaker 1: Well, that sounds like it might come with inherent dangers for people who are not trained law enforcement professionals.
Speaker 14: It's been proven already to be rather disastrous. Oh really, especially for the citizens.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, and these are employees of the city that are doing this, that's correct. Okay, So paid employees from the city are responding to what other would have been a traditional police nine response. He said, it's been a disaster. Can you give my listeners and me an illustration of maybe where something went sort of sideways on the citizen.
Speaker 8: Sure.
Speaker 14: So one of the things that they're doing is they're having them respond to auto accidents and instead of their theory was well, we're going to lighten the load on the police. However, what they're doing is they're showing up going to a crash scene and telling them well, if you want to report, just go to the police district. But what we've seen so far is happening is two particular egregious instances is where they showed up a woman who was visibly pregnant, I think she was like eight months pregnant, was injured in an auto accident, and instead of calling for an ambulance, he said, we'll just go to the police district and have a police report filed out. That's what you want to do. So you have an injured pregnant woman shows up at the police district and they're like what is this. Another one was a guy shows up at the district. So yeah, these civilian people told us to just come here and follow this police report. He goes, but I'm kind of confused because the woman that hit me was visibly drunk.
Speaker 1: There you go, they let her drive away, Just getting ready to ask that they had been trained in recognizing impaired driving. Do they know what to look for. Can they Can they administer the traditional test to determine whether someone is impaired behind the wheel or are they just going to overlook something like that that's concerning.
Speaker 14: Well, sure it is. Yeah, I mean the liability that the city's assuming by having one of their employees just let somebody that either didn't recognize it or is still equipped to recognize these kind of things, they let them drive away, drive away. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh my word, Well, I guess I got a little burning question going on in the back of my head here. If you had a full contingent of police officers, in other words, if you weren't behind in numbers by how many of you down now like three hundred or so, now we're down one hundred and forty, one hundred and forty. Well, if you had those one hundred and forty officers now working and with the police, with the actively with the police department, would this would these community responders even be necessary? I mean, aren't they supposed to? And this sounds like a band aid solution they came up with to avoid hiring more police officers.
Speaker 14: That's exactly what we suspect is going on.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's where your union contract comes in right.
Speaker 14: Well, sure, you know the collective bargaining agreement that we have says that the work that is traditionally of the police, if they want someone else to do that work, then it has to be negotiated. So I sent a cease and desist order last August when they came up with this plan and told them that if this is something that you want to do, you must first negotiate it with the FOP. They just turned a blind eye to it once they started hiring people. Is when we decided to take action and we FOIULD an unfair labor practice.
Speaker 1: FLP president came cover. I'm going to keep you a hold over the breaker. I got a few more questions to dive on into the this one, let's pause and we'll continue this conversation. After I mentioned odo exit, which won't get rid of the stench of politics, tends to come up a lot, but no it doesn't. But a hump comes with a one hundred percent satisfaction guarantee to get rid of the odors that are common around households and cars. Wherever odors might be smoke, mold, mildew, human oders, pet oders, skunk spray, all of that and so much more dead rodent kind of stuff. Yeah, odo exit has a product for all of that, So check out odor exit dot com od o r Xit. It's so easy to figure out which of the products that you need, or just buy all of them so you have them in the house and when you for when you need them, use as directed. If it doesn't work, then you get your money back. I mean, you know, you can buy with confidence with a program like that and buy it online because it'll be delivered to your front door tomorrow if you order before three pm, or go out and buy it locally one of the many, many local establishments that sell the odor exit products. I mean, we've got a cab around the corner from us and they carry them. But there's a search engine on the website odor exit dot com where you can do that. Been in business for twenty five years and they are a local company. So support the local company and put a smile on your face knowing you get rid of the odors that you've been trying to get rid of. Odoorrexit dot Com fifty five car the talk station. Most people think they'll spend less money in it there's your nine first warning with a forecast slick out there to be real careful. Today's hid just twenty two degrees and it'll be cloudy all day today. If you flories, maybe this morning over night down to thirteen with clouds high a thirty tomorrow with some sun and the flood warning ending at one thirty pm over night, down to thirteen with clouds and a clear Saturday. Saturday going up to thirty seven degrees. Right now, it's fifteen degrees in time for.
Speaker 4: Traffic from the uc UP Traffic Center.
Speaker 9: And do you see health, You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal and make sure best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at you seehealth dot com. Rob Morning on seventy five southbound shut down with traffic being diverted off at Paddock. HiT's over a half hour delay out of Lackman northbound seventy five let Lane's block with an accident above seventy four.
Speaker 4: Chuck ingram On put to five krs THEED talk station.
Speaker 1: Six thirty eighth about krc DE talk station Brian Thomas with f OP President Ken Kobe. We're talking about this greater since a community responder program where they send civilians out on what otherwise we'd be normally a police run after someone calls in the complaint. I really troubled by that whole automobile accident thing because you anticipated exactly where I was going, because it could be an OVI situation. Are these are these citizen responders? Are they trained on any level? Ken?
Speaker 5: Do you know?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 14: They're given some kind of bare bones training. I think the training was like six weeks total to cover a myriad of things. But one thing that they're not equipped to handle his defending themselves if they get into a rather violent situation. Yeah. Across the country, we hear all the time about officers that show up to a minor auto accident they get ambushed. I was gonna say, yeah, they no means to defend themselves.
Speaker 1: You quite often situations can devolve from the mundane to the violent. I mean, people can just kind of lose their wits on a moment's notice. So so these citizen responders are themselves maybe in peril. Uh, let me ask you this. Do they wear body cameras?
Speaker 2: Ken?
Speaker 3: No, of course not.
Speaker 14: Why would they need to do that. That's that's just reserved for the police.
Speaker 1: Do they have radios so they can call in for backup with more citizens to show up if there's a problem.
Speaker 14: Right exactly? And that's that's the other part of this. If they get into a situation with that they're ill equipped to handle and they come over screaming on the radio. Now you have the police that are going to be driving lights and sirens at high speech trying to get there to protect somebody that has no way to protect themselves, and it's only putting the police in even more danger.
Speaker 1: I guess I have to ask this sort of out loud. Did the city ever contemplate any of these problems when they shove this thing through? Do they consult with the police department? And I know this supplies to the firefighters, because the firefighters Union apparently is a little myfed about this as well.
Speaker 14: Well. I can only assume that they did not, or they just didn't care what the response was. But you're right, I mean, that's the same way the fire department's now following suit with the FFP and they're filing unfair labor practice themselves.
Speaker 1: Do you have any idea how much these citizen responders are paid?
Speaker 14: I looked at. I think their average salary is somewhere between sixty and ninety thousand a year.
Speaker 1: Holy crap, I mean that's you're in police wage territory, there are you not?
Speaker 14: Yeah, they're getting close in this. This is this is the biggest problem. Aside from the safety aspect. They're really not lightening the load for the police because they show up to an auto accident, they don't investigate it, and they look at the people that are involved and go, hey, just show up at the district. But here's the problem. So you have two people that are involved in an auto accident, they say, hey, just show up. You go to your local police district file report. They're only telling one person that they need to go, which, of course, then only one person shows up and you only got one side of the story. You don't have the other person's information. But let me just say for a second that they actually tell both people to go to a police district. And you have one person that lives on the west side, they go to District three. You have a person that lives on the east side and they go to District two. How do you merge those police reports? And the answer is you can't. Well so you have two different police reports going on, and you know the same, the facts are different. It's an absolute disservice to the people that live, work, and play in Cincinnati that they have to even deal with this kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Well do they issue citations.
Speaker 14: No, they don't even investigate the crash. They just show up and say.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty valuable piece of information for someone who's gonna make an insurance claim that guy hit me, he owes me and needs to pay me back for my out of pocket responsibilities under my autobile insurance. Or if you don't have any for the damage done by the accident, Oh my god, my neck hurts, I've got medical bills. Now, all these things become critical questions in an automobile accident, even if it doesn't evolve into violence, and they're not in a position to issue a citation or make a determination as the responsibility. Oh great, then you're never going to get one. Sure, this is the most ill conceited Well, I can't say I've ever heard of, because we all know things from government. We can go down and spend hours and hours talking about stupidity, you know, and I guess one of them is going to get hurt someday too, and that's going to be a real problem.
Speaker 14: There's no doubt. Yeah, that's so me looking at it from the human side of this. You're notwithstanding the legal side. They're going to get somebody hurt. They're going to get somebody killed, whether it's a citizen, whether it's one of these community responders. And that's just something that it's going to happen. It's inevitable.
Speaker 1: That's a shame. Now where is it in terms of I know you sent a season desist order to stop this program from going through. It went through anyway. I guess they're actively using this program right now.
Speaker 14: It's correct.
Speaker 1: So what's the next step for the union for the Police and Firefighters Union in this process?
Speaker 14: So we filed the unfair labor practice with the State Employment Relations Board. They've investigated it and they've ordered us to go to mediation. So next month I'll be going up to Columbus and we'll be trying to mediate the situation.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, and if the mediation doesn't work, because you're not bound by any mediation unless you both mutually agreed to resolve it under the terms of the mediation, do you go to arbitration then, or do you end up in front of a judge.
Speaker 14: Well, to go back to the state Employment Relations Board for them to investigate further and decide how they want to get it resolved.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I hope they resolved to point out to the city, since saying this sounds like a really bad idea. Do you know where the funds came from to hire these people?
Speaker 14: This is just comes out of the city.
Speaker 1: The general fund. All right.
Speaker 14: They've got some really nice vehicles too.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, we can't get we can't get.
Speaker 14: New police cars, but they've got an electric Mustang. They've got some nice Chevy Silverados. And that's certainly a little bit of rub on the police as well as they are driving cars that have two hundred and fifty thousand miles on them and they're going but these people have brand new cars. That's kind of neat.
Speaker 1: Well, and do you know how many of them there are before we part company it?
Speaker 5: Ken?
Speaker 14: I think there's like a half dozen so far so far, Yeah, so far?
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, this just sounds like stupid all across it. And I hope for some reason this does violate the terms of your collective bargaining agreement so we can put it into this program and maybe save lives and also help people resolve their insurance claims during automobile accidents. Uh Ken, I feel for you, man, keep up the great work you're doing on behalf of the police department, and God bless all of the members of the Cincinnati Police Department for what you do each and every day.
Speaker 14: Sure, well, thanks, Brian, appreciate you having me.
Speaker 1: It's my pleasure, man. I get this information out for my listeners can find out about it. And another information I want to get out affordable imaging. Yeah, it's not affordable at a hospital. Your imaging department at the hospital will charge you maybe thirty five hundred dollars for an echo cardiogram, and that's a lot of money. A lot of people need echo cardiograms. You're always going to need some image at some point and some time. I've had multiples in my life, MRIICT scans, echo car how about an ultrasound or a lung screening or a cardiac scoring. It's they're just all outrageously priced at a hospital. Because you can do a comparison and you can go any place you want. When it comes to your medical care, and affordable imaging services for more than forty years has been using the same type of equipment hospitals used to provide these images for a fraction, I mean a really really small fraction of what a cost of a hospital. Let's use the echo cardigram for example, Affordable imaging services five hundred dollars without an enhancement. It's eight hundred with an enhancement. So you want to pay thirty five hundred dollars or five hundred dollars and affordable imaging services. Every image they do comes with a board certified radiologist report, which both you and your doctor will get within forty eight hours. I've gone down there several times. I got my next CT scan scheduled. Affordable imaging services in April. Expect low overhead eno bells and whistles, But when you got medical professionals and the same kind of hospital equipment, you care whether there's marble flooring or not. Right, That's my take on it, anyway, So save a heap loads of money. The number to call five one three seven, five three eight thousand and they can get you right in. There's no you know, three week four week delay at affordable five one three seven, five, three, eight thousand Online. You can learn more at Affordable Medimaging dot.
Speaker 5: Com fifty five KRC dot com.
Speaker 1: A little you'd like to slick out there in the roads. It's a constant reminder of folks to mind your p's and q's out there. Today's highest just going to be twenty two degrees and it'll be cloudy overnight. It's going to be cloudy as well, with a little thirteen degrees. Tomorrow's high thirty flood warning ends at one thirty in the afternoon, and there'll be some sun, partly cloudy every night down to thirteen. And on Saturday, wait for it, we go up to thirty seven degrees with sunny skies fifteen right now. If you give out Keresey talk station time for traffic chuck.
Speaker 4: From the uc hout Traffic Centery, you'd see healthy.
Speaker 9: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at UCHealth dot com. Seventy five. Having a rupt Thursday morning southbound a new accident and just stay after you get pants Union Center blocks the right lane, then all traffic being diverted off of southbound seventy five at Paddock due to a wreck. Northbound seventy five. An accident above seventy four has the left lane blocked. Chuck ingramon fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 1: Six if you want fifty five KRCD talk station Happy Friday. Representative Jennifer Gross after the top of the hour news talking about Medicaid and Ohio Medicaid Committee. Before that, though having a little bit of shot and for it this morning, I think most of my listening audience knows that I don't care if you own an electric vehicle, knock yourself out. I don't like government subsidies for them. And without the government subsidies, quite often, you know, things don't work because it's it's a fake business reality, it's a fake business model. It's like going back over to the US Catholic Bishops complaining that the plug has been pulled on all the money that they've been promised from the federal government for their immigration services. That wouldn't exist. That program and their actions and their activities related to housing and sheltering and feeding illegal immigrants and providing them with legal services wouldn't happen. Without your taxpayer dollars. Ev truck manufacturer Nicola has found that out and just declared Chapter eleven bankruptcy. Another green energy Wall Street Journal rights another green energy unicorn died Wednesday as Nicoll Corp, the electric truck startup, filed for Chapter eleven bankruptcy. They say it's spectacular market crash, another warning about the perils of industrial policy and chasing government subsidies. Have been at this eleven years. They wanted to be the Tesla of trucks. They went public in June twenty twenty through a blank check merger amid the euphoric pandemic, stock market recovery and the democratic promises of a green new deal. They fetched twenty seven billion dollars in market valuation, which back then was greater than Ford's market valuation, even though they hadn't sold a single vehicle. Supposedly sophisticated investors were taken in by this marketing hype. General Motors announced in September of twenty twenty that was taking eleven percent stake in Nicola. CEO Mary Barraw held it as an industrial industry leading disruptor, but as the Journal notes, it was disruptive in a different way. January twenty eighteen, Nicola posted a video on Twitter of its model truck. Get a load of this. This is comical appearing Note the emphasis to power efforts effortlessly down a flat road, with a caption the Nicola Hydrogen electric trucks will take on an any my truck and outperformed them in every category weight, acceleration, stopping, safety, and features, all with a five hundred and one thousand mile range. Close quote that would be revolutionary if it was true. It wasn't. According to a twenty twenty one federal fraud indictment of the founder, Trevor Milton. It was an inoperable prototype that had been towed to the top of the hill. The Egal employees released the brake so it looked like it was cruising along all while the door was taped shut to keep it from falling off, and its batteries had been removed to prevent the truck from catching on fire. After taking investors for a ride, mister Milton was convicted in twenty twenty two. Nicola's marketing deceptions and problems spooped investors. In twenty twenty three, Nicola recalled two hundred and nine battery electric trucks because of fires. As of the last October, it sold fewer than five hundred trucks at a heavy law reportingly selling these hydrogen trucks for three hundred and fifty one thousand dollars a piece, which was about half of what it cost to make them, though its sales price was still twice as much as an internal combustion engine SEMI. This was obviously financially unsustainable, especially amid higher interest rates. California regulators in the Biden administration tried to boost the electric truck market with their mandates and subsidies. Inflation Reduction Act, for example, includes a forty thousand dollars tax credit for buyers of electric trucks. EPA rule last spring required that electric truck models make up twenty five percent of long haul tractor sales by twenty thirty two, but the government still couldn't induce truckers to buy them. Like other companies in the electric vehicle industry, we have faced various market and macroeconomic factors that have impacted our ability to operate. That from Nicola CEO Stephen Gersky this week yesterday. Fact in other words, high costs and technological limitations make evs impractical for long distance trucking operations. Another electric truck maker, Lordstown Motors, filed for bankruptcy in twenty twenty three. Fisker Inc. Failed last June. British electric bus startup Arrival sold its assets to another EV startup, Canoe Ink, which filed for bankruptcy last month. The Biden Energy Department provided a six billion dollar rescue for Ribbon Automotive after it lost one hundred and seven forty three dollars on every vehicle it's sold during the first nine months of last year. The journal concludes props for their humor. Critics say industrial policy is picking winners and looters losers, but where are the winners? Six fifty six took away State Representative Jennifer Gross After the top of the air news in Donald and Neal on protecting prosperity and the Trump tax.
Speaker 4: News that happens fast, stay up to date. At the top of the hour, we're moving very quickly. Fifty five KRC the talk.
Speaker 1: Station five the fifty five KRC DE talk station.
Speaker 5: Coming up.
Speaker 1: Bottom of the hour. We'll hear from Donovan and Neil, from Americans for Prosperity, I got that event coming up at the farm. Restored Libity dot Us is going to be there as well. George Brenneman and Americans for Prosperity will be paying for your meal at the farm. So we'll get the details from Donovan at the bottom of the hour. Without further ado, welcome back to the fifty five KRC Morning Show House State Representative Jennifer Gross. Jennifer, it's always a pleasure talking with you. Thanks for being on the program this morning.
Speaker 15: Thank you, Ryan. Good morning.
Speaker 1: So the elected officials in Columbus, I always refer to them as like hurting cats. It seems to me that Republicans, you think Republicans would play nicer and cooperate more together, but sadly, we don't see a whole lot of that. It always just seems to be a mystery to me. But moving away from that, and I don't want to put opinions or conclusions into your head or mouth, but there are lawmakers are considering repealing the Medicaid expansion, a medicaid expansion which I suppose occurred back in twenty fourteen, and they're saying they need to do that. We don't have the money here in the state of Ohio unless the federal money that comes in in support of the medicaid program covers ninety percent of those that were at that enter the system under the expansion. Do I have that accurate?
Speaker 15: Well, that we want to get rid of it, maybe not accurate. The fact that the federal government pays ninety cents of every dollar for it. Absolutely, that's why it was so attractive when Kasik pressured the people who by and large did not want medicaid expansions.
Speaker 1: So, yes, you got that correct, And isn't is it medicaid or Medicare. That is one of the biggest line items in the state.
Speaker 15: Budget, Medicaid. So remember that Medicare is a federal program that were required to go on. And then Medicaid is an entitlement program, and that's what we call them because you are entitled to receive these benefits under traditional medicaid, you are entitled.
Speaker 8: So if you're.
Speaker 15: Blind, disabled, elderly, pregnant mom who is low income, pregnant mom and a low income child, that was traditional medicaid. And in fact, I'm the chair of the Medicaid Committee, So we're trying to protect our traditional medicaid group because I think as a society, that's the part that we pretty much as Ohioans, we believe those people will need to be protected, and so we're looking at that group to be sure that we try to maintain it's you know, we need to have like Civic Conda Civic Medicaid and not Cadillact Medicaid because what I see and what I'm noting is in some cases and those people on Medicaid may not always agree, but you and your private insurance probably are dealing with things that you that you do and wouldn't have to face on Medicaid. For instance, a child on Medicaid gets mental care and vision, so we don't offer that on a traditional medical plan through your traditional insurance, so and mental health through our medicaid. A lot of mental health providers try to get Medicaid because we reimburse higher than traditional medicine, and sometimes traditional medicine makes you pay cash for your psychiatric health or mental health care. So there's there are some good things about our medicaid system. The challenge, like any program, is you know, our number one expense on our SNAP, which is our food stamp program, is soda pop. So the challenge is what's required, right, like what is compassionate, what is loving? What is and is what's compassionate to the taxpayer. Also, we have to not throw out compassion to the medicaid population and then be uncompassionate or dispassionate to the person paying the bill, which is the middle class. I mean, you're earning eighty eight thousand family of four, which which is not high on the hog. You don't qualify for Medicaid, but you're paying all these benefits. So yeah, finding a balance is important.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Prior to the expansion, I mean this group, the expanded group, in what way was it expanded? Were the income levels done away with? Or how do we end up with this many people getting on the program? I think what it jumped a sizeable percentage after the expansion went in.
Speaker 15: Well, it's a challenge because you either do it all or none. You can't do partial expansions. So the agreement was you expand and so the states said, well, gosh, we only have to pay ten cents, and the federal government's going to pay ninety cents, which you and I can have a long discussion about autonomy and sovereignty and why would we take you know, those golden handcuffs from the federal government. Right, but it was even under a Republican governor CASEIIC and in many cases the states that yeah and the people that are expanding are under government right now Republican governors. So but anyway, so they said they kind of lured us in with that. Then the population qualification is if you're earning one hundred and thirty three percent or less of poverty level, and you know, and so people got on the challenges. There are some and there aren't tall. There are a lot of people that are working that are making under the minimum, but there are a lot of really good jobs out there right now, and some people not all. I don't want to have a lot of hate mail to my box, but there are some people who purposely don't work above a limit because they don't want to lose their Medicaid benefits. And so we're looking at that. And right now you may have seen yesterday that the federal government is talking about cutting eight hundred and eighty billion dollars of Medicaid benefits from the sed They're not going to tell the states they have to, but what that means is you, Brian, get to pay the difference. So if the federal government stops spending ninety cents of the dollar, then ohilends will pick up another ten twenty thirty forty cents, which is a lot of money. That we call the people that were the expansion group eight. These are people that are not making enough money right now to qualify for healthcare. I mean to to not they're not making they're making as little money as possible to be able to qualify, and or they're working really hard and they can't make enough money to qualify for insurance.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I understand that component, but you know, if you add up all the government benefits that are available to someone, I think you have to make at least like forty thousand dollars a year to cover what the government will give you for free. So there's a real disincentive to work there. But we used to have, at least I thought we had in place work requirements that you know, you had to show some initiative in some effort to gain employment or go to continuing educlation classes or education classes so you could obtain employment. Is there anything remotely close to that now and are they considering something along those lines?
Speaker 15: Great question Brian. We had one that we had submitted right before Biden was chosen to be president, and what happened was the Biden administration stopped at So we have not had work requirements for the last four years. The legislature as well as the Medicaid the Ohio Department of Medicaid through buyer requirement of the legislature will filed for a waiver. So that's the other thing that's really I think that I really want your listeners and you to hear, is that most of the changes we make to our medicaid system, a lot of them, we have to go back to the federal government because we've taken this money and asked their permission to do it. So those golden handcuffs came with you have to provide this, this and this, you must do this, this and this, and if we want to change anything, we have to go back to the federal government and say, pretty please, pretty please, can we change our program? And so that's what I've been asking, you know, my congressman and Warren Davidson, as well as our Senator Bernie Marino, and I haven't had the conversation with the newest Senator Houston, but that we need more flexibility at the state level to be able to manage our program locally. So we filed for work requirements in December. We said we are, we had the intent to file, and then when medicate. Oh and here's the beautiful thing. Think about this. So the legislature says we want a waiver, I the legislature have to go through the department chair and in that case it's the Ohio Department of Medicaid director have her right the waiver and she negotiates with the federal government. So I have an unelected bureaucrat negotiating with the federal government for what the legislature is saying needs to be done. Now, there's typically a fairly good back and forth and relationship there. But why we have to go through bureaucrats to get what we want right, And that's in everything. So if we change, for instance, we take soda out of the SNAP program, we have to go back to the federal government. We have to ask them we would like to remove this from our food program. You know, and I think people need to understand it's not just Jennifer Gross, chair of the first Ohio House Medicaid Committee in our history, she can do all this. No, I mean we can come up with ideas for that. But let me get back to you had asked me about some of these people the group aide are healthy, able bodied people that can work. These are not people that have disability. They're not blind, they're not elderly, they're not developmentally delayed teenagers. These are all people that are able bodied. So we have now submitted a work requirement for that group that is UH and it's changing right now. It's in a more state. But you have to work a minimum of twenty hours a week, or go to school twenty hours a week, or be taking care of an elderly parent twenty hours a week, and that has to be confirmed. And then I believe we also have a drug rehab component in there as well. A lot of our group bates do have, you know, addiction issues. So those people we won't be able to, you know, really work with as much.
Speaker 1: But you can get them into a program that might ultimately help them by helping them kick the addiction. It's a vehicle to get them clean. Jennifer, I want to hold you over. I got more questions and I'm sure my listener are Curiosity is quite piqued about this, So let's keep Jennifer Gross on the line and let me mention Zimmer HVAC for three generations. This is a very proud company, the Zimmer family third generation with Chris Zimmer at the helm of Zimmer Heating and air Conditioning for all of your heating and air conditioning needs are the ones to call. Customer service will be fantastic, the price will always be right. Maintenance programs to help prolong the life of your HVAC system haven't come over annually, inspected, clean it, you know, service it, make sure everything's in operating order. That's a good plan they've got going on there, and they service all different kinds of make some models. But they are an authorized carrier dealer and if you need a new HVAC system, carrier is the way to go. They're the ones that invented air conditioning.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They have overnight kind of service. So you can schedule appointment at go Zimmer dot com. Up a right hand corner. You'll see after hours and you'll see regular appointments to be scheduled. Go ahead, do it simply and easily on the website or call Chris Zimmer at five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three and tell them. Brian said, Hi, when you do it five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three. Again online, It's go Zimmer dot com.
Speaker 4: This is fifty five KRC and iHeartRadio station. My name is Kyle Tequila.
Speaker 1: There's your Channel nine weather forecast. Uh slicks on the roads out there. Please be careful this morning. I have twenty two today, cloudy skies and overnight down to thirteen with clouds thirty tomorrow. The flood warning ends at one thirty in the afternoon. We'll get some sun too. Overnight down to thirteen with clouds and warming up to thirty seven on Saturday with mostly clear skies. Fourteen grades. Right now, let's see what Chuck has on traffic.
Speaker 4: From the UCL Traffic Center. U see Health.
Speaker 9: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at you see health dot com. Southbound seventy five Cruis are working with an accident above two seventy five. Right lanes are blocked, then all lanes blocked on southbound seventy five at Paddock due to a wreck.
Speaker 4: Involving a semi with a fuel spill.
Speaker 9: South two seventy five break lights between Lawrence Perg and the bridge in bound seventy four back to Montana shot King Bramm fifty five KR.
Speaker 4: See the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven twenty fifty five KRC detalk station by Thomas talking with the High State Representative Jennifer Gross, member of the Ohio Medicaid Committee. Reaching out through the securities process. You got to go through to ask the federal government for a waiver for a work requirement that seems just preposterous, but you explained it. It's there. You got to live with it. But at least you have an administration that's probably going to grant you the waiver that we're looking for, Jennifer, is that your expectation from the Trump administration.
Speaker 15: Absolutely, And in my third term in a term limited Ohio Legislature, let me tell you something, having lived under the Biden administration, I'm still getting used to this winning. They're like, what, like, they're probably not, I mean, Biden rejected it.
Speaker 11: This time.
Speaker 15: We expect they'll accept it. So our job is to make it strong, as strong as possible. We can always amend it if we go, oh, we should have done that, or we see Florida did this and we need to do that. But Brian, do you mind if I talk to you. I want the people to understand that are listening the cost of this program to them, the taxpayer. It's one thing to have people come to me. You can't take these people. And let's talk about how much of our budget goes to this program. Do you mind? No, so in state spending alone, when we don't add the thirty percent hear me, Well, approximately thirty percent of the Ohio budget comes from the federal government. So when people tell me our whole entire budget, okay, When people tell me, oh, well, you know, we need to go to the federal government, I'm like, okay, you. In order for Ohio to be sovereign, your legislature needs to stop having our handout saying we'll take the money from the federal government. Well, jin you know, California, I'll get it if we I don't care. I think we're Ohio and we should extract ourselves from dependence on the federal government. Having said that, when without our federal government spend, meaning without the part that the federal government puts into our budget. Medicaid is twenty approximately, don't quote me on all this twenty about twenty seven percent of our entire budget. When it's it's just our house, when it's just our state. Education is the number one cost in our state. Our constitution says we will educate children. Were a rare state that actually has that in our constitution, but it is the number one spend in the billions. Okay, So then if you add the federal part into medicaid, the expense of Medicaid in our whole entire operating budget is fifty point three percent. I have to ask yes, So I have to ask the listener. You know you're paying those taxes too, They're just coming from the federal government. Remember the government makes how much nothing? We make nothing. Our job is to spend your money wisely, which is why I don't mean to sound harsh, but we cannot give Cadillac care on Medicaid. That is not I and honestly unless you have concierge care and all of that. I don't think anybody in Ohio gets concierge care unless you're paying up and above and straw for those things. So I think it's important for the people to understand that the group eight, the healthy body people, when we extended, they're twenty five percent of our spend and this is forty seven billion dollars a year. So yeah, So I mean, let's talk about the money. It's easy to say, well, Jen, you can't make these people go back to work. Well, the business owners are crying for people. I have factories that will pay processing lines people. They'll start at twenty two to twenty three dollars an hour. If you earn that kind of money, twenty two dollars an hour, twenty dollars an hour, and you work forty hours a week, Brian, and you're married to someone who makes twenty twenty five, you don't qualify.
Speaker 1: For Medicaid, but you can get an Obamacare. You can get an Obamacare policy and get a tax deduction for it too, if you're in lower income levels for that. Well, real quick here, I know it's thinking. I got to ask you about fraud, waste, and abuse. My understanding is one of the worst states when it comes to spending and a misspending, I'll call it that generally in the program, Are you doing anything with your committee to get to the bottom of that and drill down, maybe we can find some savings on the money going out the door.
Speaker 15: We absolutely are our auditor Auditor Favor did an audit on Medicaid last year and he found when he pulled a sample of people on Medicaid that twenty six percent of the sample that we were paying Medicaid costs for don't live in Ohio.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 15: So when you find that kind of stuff, because we're a state that has something called self addest station. So I know you're an attorney, but what this means is that if you if I go in and you say are you on Medicaid? I can say, yep, Brian, I am. And yet I live in Westchester, and you know I won't say where I live. I live in a middle class home. And if I say I have Medicaid, they have to accept that. They don't confirm it. They don't confirm my address, they don't come from my income level, none of it. So now we are but we have to ask for waivers in some of these things. But we're going to do regular cross checks because and that's an answer to the auditor's audit. I mean, what more do I need to say to you? That our auditor found this and what I've found, and it's taken me And this is why, you know, term limits are not what everybody thinks they are. It takes us a while to figure all of this out, and then in eight years we're gone, but the bureaucrats stay, and so we get into this huge spend because the bureaucrats keep spending and I'm not there to be the doge over you know, this system. But what we found is that we found self attestation. We have self attestation in many areas of the hospitals. If someone walks in and they're you know, they have a big gash on their arm and they say they're medicaid and they bill it to medicaid, we have to pay simply because the person said they had medicaid. That self attestation. We have no cross check or we don't check lottery winning, we don't check, we don't check birthday, we don't you know.
Speaker 1: That's insane, that's absolutely insane, and that welcomes all kinds of fraud and that figure is mind boggling, mind boggling. All right, well, we have your commitment to get to the bottom of that and hopefully get some I can't believe you got apply for a waiver to get rid of fraud, waste and abuse in a program. I mean, that's that's crazy right there, Jennifer Gross. Please keep us informed. You're always welcome here. You got updates. You need pressure to be brought to bear. I have my listeners get in touch with their elected officials and screaming, yell about it. Whatever, there's something we can do. Love to help you out with that one?
Speaker 15: Can I say, can I ask for help? So as doje. It takes people from our community and says, hey, let's help. Right they went to the federal government. I would encourage the listeners to go to www dot l SC, dot Ohio dot gov and look for HB ninety six. That's the number of the budget and look up what we call the read books in whatever area they're interested in. It doesn't always have to be medicaid though, because it's so expensive. I would encourage them to go to education and medicate our biggest spends. But look in there, look at the details, try to figure it out. Send your recommendations, say we don't need that in our budget. Tell your representative, not always me unless I'm your representative. Tell your representative. I saw this, I want this removed. I saw this, I want this removed. A lot of people want more and more and more, but you're paying. So if you think that's valuable, then say so. But if you think it's waste, you need to go in. And if you want more information. Right, my colleagues will hate this, but if you want to try to get more information, write your representative and say I think I see a problem here. Can you help me? Because we are there. This is a four thousand page budget. We are a government of for and buy the people.
Speaker 1: We need more citizen watchdogs, and my listening audiences still with them, so I encourage them to heed your advice and help out by finding it and alerting your officials with maybe a pointed letter or phone call. Jennifer Gross, thank you so much for bringing this to every day's attention. I wish you all the best of luck in the world on behalf of the Ohio tax payers and the American taxpayers generally getting some success over these challenges. And again, keep us informed because I'll be curious to know how this all shakes out. Seven twenty nine. Right now, Donovan Oeil up next, after I mentioned Chimneycare Fireplace and Stove. You got a wood burning fireplace or free standing stove, you need to call the Chimneycare Fireplace as Stove. It's a great time to do it because they're doing a winter special Winter Special which is a wood burning sweep and evaluation for only one hundred and sixty nine dollars and ninety nine cents plus tax. Great value. They do a video camera inspection of your chimney. Find out if there's any problems in there like water dam age of cracked lining, or it just needs to be swept, and if it does, they got certified chimney sweeps. It'll take care of all that for the low low price that I just quoted. So, wood burners, you know you need to keep an eye out for that creosoap build up and everyone needs to take care of their safety. Get a carbon monoxide detector. Please learn more online. Schedule your appointment online too. It's Chimneycareco dot Com. Chimneycareco dot Com a plus the better Business Bureau, locally owned and operated since nineteen eighty eight. Online Chimneycareco dot Com five one, three, two four eight ninety six hundred fifty five KRC.
Speaker 4: The talk station the countdown is.
Speaker 1: Channel nine says today gotta be cold. High have twenty two with mostly cloudy skies. Slick out there this morning, be careful. Overnight low of thirteen with clouds. Tomorrow the flood warning ends at one thirty pm. We'll get some sun at I have thirty down to thirteen overnight with clouds and an a clear day on Saturday with a high of thirty seven thirteen degrees. Now time for traffic from the.
Speaker 4: UCL Trantic Center.
Speaker 9: You see healthy opine, comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care from better outcomes. Expect more at UCHealth dot com. Sapend seventy five or reckon bump two seventy five right hand side. Then the highway is shut down due to an accident near the lateral. That traffic being diverted off of a highway at Paddock northbound seventy one. There's an accident above five first southbound heavy field zirdle to a red bank ingram on fifty five KRS.
Speaker 4: The talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty three fifty five KRC DE talk station Brian Thomas always happy to have Donovan and Neil from the Americans for Prosperity on the program especially We've got big things coming up. Donovan, Welcome back to the fifty five KRC Morning Show.
Speaker 5: Brian, always good to be with.
Speaker 1: You need to get these Trump tax cuts in place permanently, and I always have to observe why they put an end to them when they enact them just blows my mind. I just anyway, here we are with them expiring, and everybody's going to get hit. It's not just tax cuts for the rich, as the left keeps saying. This is really going to hit the middle class very hard.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 16: You know, Americans under the four years of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris with Biden saw their cost of living increased dramatically, Folks paying twelve to fifteen thousand dollars more than under the prior administration.
Speaker 8: And you know, so.
Speaker 16: Inflation's hitting folks hard. But if Congress fills to act, their tax bills are going to go up. On average, every America will pay fifteen hundred dollars more. Should the Trump tax cuts to twenty seventeen be allowed to expire at the end of this year, and so there you know, it's a one two punch Brian, from the inflationary you know, so called Hitten tax of out of control government spending, and then a very real visible tax when you file your tax bill between now in April fifteenth, should these expire on your tax bill, So it'll get you from both sides.
Speaker 5: If Congress doesn't act soon.
Speaker 1: Well by doing it through reconciliation, which seems to be the direction they're going to go, they don't need a sixty vote majority in the Senate. They can do it with a simple majority. I've seen different proposals going out there. There's one, you know, comprehensive all under one resolution proposal, and then there's the two steps solution. I think Donald Trump's in favor of the former. Do you Is that your understanding as well?
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I think that's something that broke in the last twenty four to forty eight hours is you know, the President has said, let's go for the big, beautiful bill, and that's the you know, that's the beauty of the executive They can set that agenda and Donald Trump is more than happy, as you know we all know, to set his vision, set an agenda, and drive towards it and I think that, you know, it makes a lot of sense Congress. You've got a lot more numbers in Congress. It's a lot more work that Speaker Johnson's got to do to keep that conference together.
Speaker 5: He'll do it.
Speaker 16: But if we can get all this done together, it's what the American people want, and tax cuts are among the most important, at least and most importantly retaining the tax cuts that we have had since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: All right, let's pause. It went a little along with the cong or with the representative of the prior segment. I'll bring you back. We'll talk a few more details on that and also get a little more information on the upcome event where I know you're buying dinner for folks to talk about this. So pause, will bring Donovan and Neil for Americans for Prosperity back, and I will mention Cover since I do show every Sunday eight o'clock with John Roman from Cover Sensing, and we talk about medical insurance and you think, oh, yeah, I'm going to tune into that. Actually it is really enlightening. I've learned so much and John Roman has taught me so much about how there is a better way for everyone to get medical insurance, and that's by having a broker working for you, not an insurance company. I bet your employer probably just went with the first major insurance company that came by, and you got like three choices. All of them suck and all of them are really expensive. It doesn't have to work that way with cover. Since he working for you and having access to hundreds of insurance companies and quite literally thousands of different policies, you may end up with a package of layered coverage. And that's great for you because by layering coverage, you can get dollar one coverage for a lot of services. Then you've got your catastrophic kind of coverage, and it's less money, a lot less money. He's saving people forty to sixty percent on premiums, and for small groups, he can improve your business's bottom line while making your employers or employees much happier with better medical coverage that isn't setting them back so much money. That's called employee retention, and in fact, you can use that as a dangling carrot to get the best people to where to work for you, because you can explain to them how great the coverage is and how little will pay. It is certainly worth a phone call. It doesn't obligate you to do anything. Let them check and see what you are or who you are, what you've got going on in your world, like you got a family with kids, or maybe you're a little older and the kids moved out. They can address any situation and you will be very pleased with what they can do for you. And then you get the team to continue with you with no additional charge. They'll solve any claim, disputes or problems you've got once you're insured through Cover. Since he start the process online, fill the format as comprehensively as possible online to coversinsey dot com, or call them up to start the conversation. Five P one three eight hundred two to two five five. That's five one three eight hundred.
Speaker 6: Call fifty five KRC.
Speaker 4: This has been bulling from.
Speaker 1: Channa nine says today's going to be a higher twenty two with cloudy sky's overnight little thirteen with clouds. Tomorrow's high thirty we'll get some sun as well, and the flood warning ends at one thirty pm overnight partly cloudy thirteen and a high thirty seven on Saturday with clear skies. Excuse me, fourteen degrees now time for traffic.
Speaker 4: From the UCL Tramping Centery. You see health.
Speaker 9: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care from better outcomes. Expect more at ucehealth dot com. Southbound seventy five is shut down. All tramping being diverted off of the highway at Paddock. Backing up now through the Lockland Split southbound seventy one.
Speaker 4: That's an extra twenty minutes.
Speaker 9: Field tirdled down to Redbank northbound seventy five heavy from Donaldson into downtown Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR.
Speaker 4: See the talk.
Speaker 1: Station KCD talk station Brian Thomas with Donovan and Neil for Americans for Prosperity talking about extending the Donald Trump tax cuts, the tax cuts and jobs at TCJA and Donovan, what about all the screams in Whaling and nash your teeth. People say, oh my god, we need to get more taxes into the government because they overspend and you know, the deficits getting bigger and bigger. That's called a spending problem. But it also ignores the reality that by lowering taxes, more tax revenue ends up flowing into government because we engage in more economic activity with the money we get to keep.
Speaker 8: That's absolutely right. That's that's what happened when we did.
Speaker 16: Every time we've cut taxes, the government has found a way has ended up with more money. Why because a couple of different things. One, compliance costs go down, right, and so folks are it's easier for them to actually pay what they owe the government, and the government gets you know, what it deserves. I suppose I still think it's too much, but they get it, and you know, so the compliance costs of filing taxes go down. You also see folks spending that money in other parts of the economy. Right, So we're not talking about eliminating all taxes here. We're not even talking about eliminating the federal income tax, although I'm a fan of that. We're just talking about making a little less burden some for folks so they can choose where to spend their money.
Speaker 5: Whereather than bureaucrats.
Speaker 16: Like the folks at USAID are at rest in peace now being able to spend that money on wacky projects around the world. It's real simple, it's real straightforward. It has a tangible impact on the livelihoods of working class Americans and Ohioans when government lowers those taxes and keeps those rates as low as possible.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, going back to I think what we can describe as our own worst enemies, a lot of the Republicans aren't in favor of cutting the amount of spending coming out of federal government. That's why I'm a worried about this reconciliation package because you know, not in my state. If you cut that, then my state's going to suffer. And it's like, well, it's time for some belt tightening, you.
Speaker 16: Know, No, absolutely, absolutely right, absolutely right, And I think part of that belt tightening is not feeding the beast anymore money, right, and getting keeping the tax rates low so that you know, we can we can then begin to have the conversation, although that's already happening with things like the DOGE and what Donald Trump is doing to get the executive branch back in back in line. But you can't you shouldn't be given that beast more money. DC doesn't need more of our hard earned money. And then we also need to be having the conversation about what Congress appropriates. Uh, it's two sides of the same coin, Brian, Uh, equally important.
Speaker 5: But we shouldn't we shouldn't let.
Speaker 16: The desire to get the deficit down keep us from allowing folks to retain more of their hard earned money by simply keeping the Trump tax cuts permanent.
Speaker 1: Right, And if they actually you know, if the tax cuts went up and that actually really effectively brought more money into government because the rates tire, which we just talked about, that it doesn't, then they need to stop spending and cut back the percentage amount of money they spend so that we can start dealing with the deficit rather than keep continuing to fund all these programs, which is what happens every time. You know, it's the only thing they tinker with is our tax rates, but they never tinker with their spending. Do you have any hope that this reconciliation bill can actually get through? Donovan?
Speaker 16: I think it has to get through or Republicans are going to lose control in Washington, the Democrats will be back in power, and I think we're going to you know, not only that, right, it's not only just about the political dynamics in Washington, but it's the future of our country. The reconciliation package is about retaining the tax cuts, it's about undoing the disastrous Green Energy New Deal policy out of the Biden Harris administration. And it's about getting this country funding border security for our border patrol agents so we can have a secure country. It's a lot more than just a recofiliation package.
Speaker 1: This is what.
Speaker 16: Folks campaigned on and made promises about to earn votes back in November.
Speaker 5: They need to get this done.
Speaker 16: And if we don't get it done sometime by the summer, it's going to be real hard to see it happen this Congress.
Speaker 1: Jeez, that is a frightening prospect. But the timing couldn't be better. With revelations coming from the Department of Governmental Efficiency about you know, ten million dollars for voluntary circumcisions and Mozambique. You know, you get enough stories like that circulating and they actually get traction on the internet and people start paying attention like wait a second, I'm working for what and demand it. Well, they take less money out of our pockets, so these programs necessarily have to go away, which should have been funded in the first place. Now you got a big event coming up February twenty six, next Thursday, at the farm. I understand you're buying dinner.
Speaker 16: Well, Americans for Prosperities buying dinner. I'll be there enjoying dinner with folks and talking about this.
Speaker 11: Topic, talking about tax cuts and jobs.
Speaker 16: I really excited to be there with folks, George Brenneman and the Restore Liberty crew talking about that. And I hear it's a good crowd. You've been a speaker there, do they get a good turnout?
Speaker 1: I haven't been over to the farm on the West Side for one of these events, so no, it's I'm about forty five minutes away where I live relative to the farm, and because I get up at two thirty in the morning, it really presents a challenge for me to actually speak at events like this, so I won't be able to be there. The door do open at five point thirty, and of course the food is from the farm. That's the West Side legend, Donovan. Everybody knows about the farm, and the meeting begins at seven pm. But they're going to be doing a live recording of the podcast during the dinner, so you'll be able to enjoy that and then talk about this with Americans for Prosperity again picking up the tab for your wonderful meal. I appreciate you doing that, Donovan. I'm sure you get a lot of people showing up for it, and they'll get to learn something, and then you'll have a whole bunch of citizen activists who can start pressuring their elected officials to get the job done.
Speaker 4: That's the idea.
Speaker 16: We'll get them, we'll get them fired up, we'll connect them with equipment, with the facts and information, and then we're gonna have some called action to get people doing making that push right there and then that evening wonderful.
Speaker 1: Just Trecker has got a link on my blog page fifty five cars dot com with the information about the meeting again the farm is it Wednesday or Thursday?
Speaker 4: Wednesday?
Speaker 1: Wednesday the twenty sixth, I apologize. I think it's a Thursday over Wednesday evening again. Doors open at five point thirty Donovan. Good luck with the meeting and keep up the great work of Americans for Prosperity. It's always a pleasure having on the program. UH seven forty five right now fifty five KRC Detok station and I get the opportunity now to steer you in the right direction. Steer your imported automobile either from Asia or Europe or traditionally so to Foreign Exchange West Esster or location by steering it either up or down. I seventy five taking the Tyllersville exit and go east two streets and hanging right on Kinglind where you will see in front of you Foreign Exchange Westchester location, where Austin and his outstanding crew will take wonderful care of you and they will fix your car to your satisfaction. You will leave with the full warranty on parts and service. Why would you take it to Foreign Exchange rather than the dealer because you're not going to pay as much money, a sizeable difference in price, and it's all great work done by outstanding as he certified master technicians. I've been going there for years and years. I've saved a lot of money. I'm thinking it to Foreign Exchange. It's the right thing to do. Five one three six four four twenty six twenty six. Tom Brian said, I when you make an appointment, please five one three six four four twenty six twenty six. To learn more online, go to foreign X. That's foreign letter X.
Speaker 6: Dot com fifty five krc.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Well be forecast time. I watch out for the slick roads this morning. Well, well, I have twenty two today with clouds down to thirteen over night with clouds thirty with some sun tomorrow and the floodboarding ends at one thirty uh Friday night. You're gonna be down to thirteen degrees with bounds and mostly would be a clear day on Saturday. But I have thirty seven thirteen now traffic time.
Speaker 4: From the uc UP Tramping Center.
Speaker 9: You see healthy time, comprehensive care that's so personal and it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better upcomes. Expect more. You see health dot com sathbound seventy five is slow through the Blackland Split down to the closure at Paddock. All traffic fiend diverted off of a highway southbound seventy one break flights fields areto off and onto Red Bank northbound seventy one a wreck head two seventy five. There's also an accident on Nixon and Vine with injuries. Chock ingram on fifty five KR see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven fifty three. I think you have krcity talk station. We're going to hear from Michael Wallace with a book A Rage to Conquer, Twelve Battles to change the course of Western History, right at the top of their news. In the meantime, Jay, I was hoping you were listening. Did you hear kan or the Representative Gross talking about medicaid here in Ohio?
Speaker 17: I listened to every word, man, and I want you and Joe to take a bow after you're done today. That was awesome. But what you guys can be proud about is that when she talked about Faber audited medicaid and found twenty six percent of the medicaid was outside Ohio. I'm thinking, is this the same Keith Favor that Brian Thomas had on like about a year ago, who came in and said, there's not really anything to see. It's not really fraud, it's just improper payments and it's just difficult in computer systems and blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Remember you remember that, Oh?
Speaker 1: I remember like it was yesterday.
Speaker 5: I would love for you to play that again.
Speaker 17: I know you probably can't, but for the listening audience before we you know, shower a Keith Faber, the auditor was applause. I think you and your listening audience and guys like us. I think it's a testament that he wouldn't have got out his ass if it wasn't some pressure put on him to go figure this out. And it's amazing that that happened and.
Speaker 4: He never he never came back around. I didn't hear about it.
Speaker 17: In the news, so I'm glad they found it. But just like always in Ohio, twenty six percent of forty billion dollars a year is leaving Ohio and they're sitting there staring at it right now trying to figure out if they want to do ten billion a year.
Speaker 15: No.
Speaker 1: No, what she said that we need a waiver from the federal government to make any corrections or fixes to the Medicaid system here in Ohio. And now apparently it sounded like that was among them. So we in the prior administration they just raise their collective middle fingers and laugh at us for the waiver. At least now we stand a chance of actually getting something accomplished with the Trump administration. We can only pray for that.
Speaker 8: I agree.
Speaker 17: Now here's the other thing. Everybody's property taxes are going to do risk. Seventy percent of property tax is school is your school tax? Like, we could take that ten billion dollars a year that's going on, just the part that's going outside of Ohio. Y put that towards your school tax. That could cut everybody's property tax by about half. If my numbers are right.
Speaker 4: Listen, man, there.
Speaker 1: Is any relief, any relief unproperty tax would be welcome here in Ohio, even if it doesn't shave it by half. I would say, if it's a third, if it's a quarter, whatever we can do to give the property owners some relief, most notably the senior citizens living on fixed incomes who had no control over the fact that their house is tripled in value over the past couple of years. Those people need some really good relief. And just to know that this much money is going out, I would argue fraudulently or at least erroneously, and it's not eligible to go out of the state. That's an easy fix. Jay, Thank you so much. I appreciate the compliments, and I'm glad you stay on this as well. Seven fifty six right now, A rage to conquer Twelve battles have changed the course of Western history. Michael Walsh, my next guest, after the news.
Speaker 4: Covering Trump's first one hundred days.
Speaker 11: Every day Promises made, Promises kept.
Speaker 4: Fifty five krs the talk station This.
Speaker 1: Eighth six a fifty five KRCD Talks Station, A very happy Friday Eve to you him. Please to welcome to fifty five KRC. Mornersh. I'm an next guest author Michael Walls. She has written quite a few books. Last Stand. You probably read quite a few of them. Author of Last Stands, more than fifteen other novels and nonfiction book, classical music critic for Time Magazine at one point received the two thousand and four American Book Awards Prize for Fiction for his gangster novel There's Another One You Can Read and All the Saints. He wrote popular comums from National Review, which he used under a pseudonym to put into the book Rules for Radical Conservatives. There's One for You, and his other books Devil's Pleasure and The Fiery Angel are examples of the enemy heroes and triumphs and struggles of Western civilization, which allows us to pivot over to the book we're talking about today. His new book, A Rage to Conquer Twelve Battles that changed the course of Western history. Michael Walsh, Welcome to the Morning Show. It's a real pleasure to have you on today.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much. Brian.
Speaker 1: So, there are a lot more than twelve battles, and I suppose a lot of them could have impacted Western history. First off, what interested you in this topic? And then how did you whittle all of the wars that have been waged by man over the years down to the twelve that you selected.
Speaker 5: Well, I've been very interested in military history my whole life. I was born actually on the Marine Corps base in Campellshire in North Carolina, and my father was a Marine officer who fought in Korea and elsewhere. So that's part of my upbringing. And as you mentioned, I read a book called Last Dance four years ago which was quite successful, and that examined why men fight when everything seems to be lost. But they don't cut and run. They fight. So this book is an outgrowth of that book, and I wanted to look at twelve battles and the command who led them to talk about masculinity again and talk about what it takes to be successful at what is unfortunately one of the most fundamental human endeavors there is, which is warfare.
Speaker 1: Now. I want to approach this sort of in reverse order, and we could start with the Trojan War and Achilles, which I'm very interested in talking with you about. But the last one, the most recent challenge, the Battle of nine to eleven and how it was ultimately lost by the United States. Would you put a little more flesh on the bones of that conclusion. I think I get your point, but that w was just my attention gravitated toward that considering it wasn't, you know, a traditional form of warfare unless you look at sort of maybe our invasion of Iraq.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, that's turned out to the most controversial part of the book. And I remember when an author writes a book, he's finished the text about a year it comes out. So it's not like blogging or anything. It's it's you have to consider this well in advance and try to figure out what readers are going to be interested in. But nine to eleven struck me as an example of a commander President Bush who didn't understand the rules of warfare and didn't have the stomach to fight the battle that needed to be fought, unlike all the other guys in the book, which include you mentioned Achilles, who's you know, quasi fictional, but obviously it's based on somebody real wayback when. But Caesar and Constantine the Great and General Patten and the other people I talked about, And so as a result, we didn't really believe that war was declared on us. And if you think we won the Battle of nine to eleven, go to the airport and see if the letters right.
Speaker 1: That's a great point, you know, behind all this, the whole idea of warfare though, Michael, I'm a profound constitutionalist, little l libertarian I but we end up launching missiles and dropping bombs and taking people out in foreign lands that we did against him. We have no declaration of war. And you know, with technology being pervasive, more and more foreign actors and folks that we might not consider friendly to us have that technology and could equally do the same thing to us that we're doing to them. Congress never declares war. You get an authorization, you use a military force to deal with nine to eleven, and it ends up lasting twenty plus years to serve as a justification for conflicts literally everywhere.
Speaker 5: Well, it's disgraceful. It's part of the forever war mindset, which is true of people at both parties, by the way, And if you don't think so, just look at one of the senators from South Carolina, John love Child, who never saw war. He personally didn't want to fight in, but didn't want somebody else to fight in. The fact is that we got more declared on us, and we simply refused to accept. So this event happened, and then we refused to address the issue, and we went to other countries which had little or nothing to do with it.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 5: Cut to twenty some years later, and we even immediately pull out of Afghanistan. It was a disgrace. And that's what I said in the book.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're probably in good company with my listening audience on those conclusions, sir. Now back to Achilles again. One of the reasons I was drawn to that is because there is a lot of fictional element associated with Achilles, like the Achilles Heel story. But what was his importance? Is it? Ilium?
Speaker 5: Yes? Yeah, said Troy. Yeah. The Iliad, which is one of the foundational great poem along with the Odyssey of Western Culture, talks about something that we now know happened. We're not sure to what a stenate did, and Homer comes down to us himself as a semi mystical figure. But something happened there. But what's great about the earli end, First of all, it's a great, great work of art, and secondly, it does describe in graphic and gruesome detail how warfare was conducted around roughly one thousand BC uh and that is the beginning of the West's first clash with the East. So the obviously the Greeks were on the western side of this divide, and the Trojans Troy is now and where western Turkey is they were the east. And this is a theme that runs throughout Western history. Alexander's fight, Alexander's fighting the Persians. There's this constant battle within Rome against the Parthians, who are also sort of Quasei Persians. It was is one of the threads of the book. But you have to start with the very first war story and that's.
Speaker 1: It understood, and fast forward over to the Crusades, the first Cruquete Crusades Bohemond.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, no one has heard of Beaulamonte except for.
Speaker 1: The first time, sir. This is it man. I've just been introduced to Bauhemont.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, he's an amazing figure and he is the hero of this particular chapter because he won two critical battles in the first Crusade, which was recalled by the Pulpe in response to the Byzantine Emperor, the emperor of the eastern part of the old Roman Emperor Empire, to liberate the holy sites of Christianity. So this was in the very late eleventh century, and Beauma was a great, big Norman. The Normans had just conquered England like thirty years before, and many of the Normans joined the Crusade and went to the Holy Land to fight. And Beaumont himself was a Norman from southern had conquered the lower part of Italy and Sicily and ruled it for many, many years. So Vaumont led his troops and he was a giant of a man. He was a tactical genius and was able to stave off defeat in the very first battle the Crusaders fought against the Turks, and he was able to win and keep the whole the siege of Antioch and caused that city, which was crucial to the path to Jerusalem, which he then took for himself, and he kind of drops out of the crusading narrative. But in two places he really stepped up and shows the superiority of Western arms and also the size that the Franks were much bigger than the Turks, and they had a problem. The Turks were very mobile, kind of like American Indians against the cowboys or the cavalry in the American West that come in, shoot run away, come in and shoot runaway. The crusaders were frustrated they could ever get their hands on them. Well, Bowman finally did and fended off this ambush. They could have ended the crusade at a little place called Dora Lam and then regrouped and they marched all the way to Antioch and in a brilliant siege, took Antioch against vastly, vastly superior numbers.
Speaker 1: Now, in terms of the crusades, you said, the Pope issued this, you know request, and everybody needs to go there to help out. And I understand this was was it largely viewed by people as a legitimate, you know, calling from God like that this this was a necessary religious thing to do, because you know, over the years, there's a lot of speculation that well, now there's just a bunch of Europeans that wanted to go plunder and look for treasure as opposed to liberate the country.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well there's an answer for that, which is, but the first crusade was successful, most of them went home. They didn't stay. Himself was a Lackland who took part of the turf that was conquered, and so did the but most of them went home. And a point I make over and over again in the book is that almost all these wars have some religious component, and from the earliest time, success in war was contributed to your God, and failure meant that you had not lived up to the demands of your God. You hadn't prayed hard enough, sacrificed hard enough, you had you lost because of insufficient fidelity. This is a constant theme throughout Western history. It's very very interesting.
Speaker 1: And it makes sense. You know, if you believe in a supreme power and you're beholden to them, and you actually have a belief system that involves you know, God and acts of God, then yeah, you're going to step up to the play because basically your soul is contingent upon it. Where you're going to end up in the afterlife, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well you also got a complete remission of sins if you went on the cruise. That was part of the deal. And also what's interesting is the Church guaranteed your property because the Church was the only power, you know, the Roman Empire having fallen five hundred years earlier, six hundred years earlier. Uh, And you were immune from lawsuits. And there was there was a bunch of upside. A lot of them died on the route trip France and what's now Germany, uh, all the way to the east to the eastern edge of the Mediterranean. But there were some some bennies, shall we say, uh with it, But I would say it was mostly fueled by religious ardor. And that was true with the Muslim side too. They believed in the prophet. They were they were undefeated up to that point. They had never encountered any opposition that stood up. They rolled through the remnants of the Roman Empire, they rolled over Persia, conquered Iran, Islami sized Iran. They were they were used to success. And the first time they came up against the Franks and got walked, and they were it taught them something to and and this war now that particular war has been going on for a thousand plus, that's the Israel Goaza conflict. That's where that starts.
Speaker 1: It's amazing that that has been raging for that long. And you did bring up the travel I was going to ask you about that in terms of the the the crusades, that that distance in the time it would take to get from point A to point B to fight and then come back home. I'm just I suppose that we're still under a feudal system then, correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, more or less. The kings of Europe had not really quite emerged yet. So what that's called the Princess Crusade because remember there's no France, there is no Germany right as we know it. So these were little princeling some of various little principalities around Europe that that got together and organized an army uh and they had specific leaders and they accomplished that. It's an amazing logistical feat when you stop to think about it, that they came all that way by land and sea, over terrible reign and lost a lot of their people, but they just kept going. And there were times they didn't want to go, but they felt they had to go. And so they seized upon any sign that God was with them, most famously at Antioch, where they were getting they were having a very hard time with the giant Turkish army, and then one of them discovered what he purported to be the holy the tip of the Holy spear that had pierced Christ's side at the time of the crucifixion, and using this rusty piece of iron, they went into battle holding it up and won. So actually they thought God was on their side at that point. The crusader motto was deuslovl God wills it, and they would shout at us they would move into battle.
Speaker 1: Fascinating stuff. Fascinating stuff, Michael Walsh, the name of the book A Rage to conquer twelve battles that changed the course of Western history. Michael, what we've done for you and for my listener's problem, primarily because they're going to want to ge copy of the book. It's on my blog page at fifty five care see dot com. My listeners know where to go and get a copy of the book. There's a link to to where to buy it, and it's well received on Amazon and if a fascinating range of topics, again from the Trojan War all the way through nine to eleven. I appreciate you talking with my listeners and me today Michael, and spending some time here, and thanks for writing the book and documenting this important history. Channel and I were the forecast today, cold twenty two for the high with body sky, slick roads. I'm sure Chuck will address that momentarily. Overy night low of thirteen with clouds. I h have thirty tomorrow flood at morning ends at one thirty. There will be some sun tomorrow as well, down to thirteen. Every night with clouds and a clear Saturday going up to thirty seven thirteen. Now Here is Chuck on traffic.
Speaker 9: From the UCT traffic centery. You see health Go find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at useehealth dot com. Problems set Bend seventy five continue the highway shut down at Paddock due to an early morning accident near the lateral ted Traffic backs through Lachland. Now northbound seventy five is shut down due to an accident before you get to Tyler's though, and traffic is backing up through Westchester. Chuck Ingram on fifty five krc the talk station, Hey.
Speaker 1: Twenty nine fifty five KRCD Talk Station Heavy Friday, Eve real quick here, shout out to vets and Bruce Matt Damaris goes out and buys veterans beers. Ten dollars donation and buys a veteran a beer, and the balance goes to a wonderful organization called Patriots Landing. He's raised almost twenty one thousand dollars through your donations for Patriots Landing about thirty four hundred plus beer. So it's a great organization. They're going to be at at Cartridge Brewery tonight Music Beers for Veterans. The event kicks off at five and last till nine, and a whole bunch of other veteran organization is going to be there as well. So Archridge Breweries on Granden Road one four one one Grand and show up, buy a veteran of beer, or if you're a veteran, go in and enjoy a free beer. Welcome back. iHeartMedia Aviation. Nextpert, my dear friend Jay Ratliffe, It's always a pleasure to have you on the show.
Speaker 3: Hey, I love all the veteran support things that you have, so I appreciate that. I'm not a beer drinker, but I love hearing it.
Speaker 1: Well, you could buy a beer for a veteran. You don't have to drink one, you know.
Speaker 3: Well, I would buy more than one for But yes, those men and women allowed me to do what I do, and it's I'll.
Speaker 1: Forever be thankful. Amen, brother. Absolutely, Well, let's get the latest on this Delta Toronto crash. I finally got to see the video of that and what the hell happened. I was just wondering all day long when it first was reported and I saw photographs of the plane on its back, I'm like, how in the hell did it get on its back? But when you watch the video, you see that was it the wind. I know there's some speculation it was like a wind shear coming across the from the west side and the plane was what landing south to north, north to south. I don't know.
Speaker 5: You explained it.
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing I look at anytime we've got a situation like this is the weather. Did the weather perhaps have a contributing contribute to whatever took place? And here we were dealing with crosswinds thirty to forty miles an hour, which aircraft can handle. It's a bit problematic, but nothing that today's flight cruise can't handle. They normally increase their approach speed just a bit to offset what they're going to be dealing with on the crosswind, and they go through the normal the process. I saw the video, though, and it shocked me because I'm thinking, Okay, I understand you have a slightly increased speed on arrival, but the angle that the aircraft comes into the runway and the speed on which it comes in. Matthew Buckley, who was a fighter pilot, I heard him quoted on a news feed this week. He said that was an aircraft carrier landing, and I thought that was the perfect way to phrase it, because typically when an aircraft comes in right before you have the touchdown, what the crew tends to do is to pull the nose up just a bit. They flared up, so just like you remember the space shield of the landing, the rear gears come down first, and then slowly the front rotates down to where the landing gear touches down. Here all three seemed to almost hit the same time and at such a speed that it looked like the force of that could have caused and I'm not sure because the investigation is just beginning, the right rear landing gear to collapse. So once you have the right landing gear collapse, everything shifts to the right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You then have the wing that comes ripped off of the aircraft. It may have been the landing gear helped to take the wing off, we don't know. And then you've still have the left wing that's on the aircraft that's still doing what it's supposed to be doing. Fine. So what happens was abs in a white a right wing. You now see the aircraft turn, it pivots up and comes around to where it's on its top. Now, one of the things I'm glad for it is that the fuel that was in the right wing was detached and was trailing the fuselage. That was a mirror, definitely a miracle there because you had jet fuel aviations gone everywhere, and that part that was on fire, and of course there's always the fear of explosion, and it was separated from the aircraft, which was good, and the entire interior of the aircraft did exactly what it should have. The fuselage remained intact. The seats which have been totally and completely upgraded over the decades, which now I think they're rated for sixteen g's of force, they didn't go anywhere. You had everybody hopefully strapped in as they should have been. You have fire retardant materials inside the aircraft again, because we've learned over the years and we've made things safer that air aircraft, and that accident was probably the poster child for everything that the NTSB has been able to do over the last thirty forty years and constantly learning from every accident in their accident, so every aspect of aircraft aviation we can make safer. And then of course you had the flight attendants do an incredible job getting people out of the aircraft. Remember, the easiest thing to do is to throw open that door to get everybody out. The problem is you're inverted, so had they not remembered to disengage the emergency slides, you open that door and all they're going to do is drop again. These flight attendants, I cannot brag on their training enough. You've got all of this going on. It was happening in seconds. They're getting everybody off the aircraft and they did their typical great job, and you know, it reminded me because they're calling this a miracle in Toronto. It was twenty years ago we had a miracle in Toronto and Air France flight comes in lands Long, hits hard. Kind of a similar situation here, playing breaks up, heart catches on fire, three hundred nine people on board, the plane's about to explode. Now to board three hundred and nine people, it takes you forty five minutes or so. Yeah, the flight attendant's got everybody off in less than ninety seconds. Airplane blows up, no fatalities. You look at the images of Air France three point fifty eight a Google image, and aircraft is completely burnt, totally, it's gone, and you're thinking, good lord, did anybody survive? Everyone survived. The flight attendants did a great job, you know, and we know that because of all the people who felt compelled before they got out of the aircraft to video everything that was going on, because look, I'm upside down, the airplane may be on fire. Of course I'm going to video what's going on now. I'm gonna get my butt off that airplane. But some people thought videoing it was I might get alike here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do that, then go and then change my underwear. Honestly, Oh my.
Speaker 3: Lord, it's just these people. I just you know, people die. I'm gonna get next to a buffalo. I'm gonna lead off this cliff.
Speaker 1: It just well, we refer to that as you know, the the Darwin theory of evolution, your survival of the fittest. We'll bring Jay back. We got several more things to talk about with our heart media aviation expert Jay RATHP. We're going to do that.
Speaker 6: Just hang on fifty five KRC.
Speaker 14: My name is Kyle Tigisim.
Speaker 1: It's a thirty nine I fifty got KRCD talk station. It's Thursday. It's I heard media avation expert Jay Ratlift. Time and Jay have pivoting over to Trump and his firing of FAA employees, and everyone seems to want to blame him for every airplane disaster it's out there. When Donald Trump wasn't around, it didn't have anything to do with it, but he didn't get rid of some FAA employees and apparently looking to upgrade the FAA flight system because what it's it's it's a legacy system from like the nineteen fifties or something.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh, you're being kind, but yes, at least the nineteen fifties. And you and I've talked about the need for upgrading that system. Incredible to use the word upgrade is an insult to the word upgrade. It's just it needs to be blown up and redone. So if President Trump can bring in the SpaceX people that can land a rocket, I think that they can figure out a way to upgrade significantly what we have with the air traffic control system. And I'm incredibly excited because of all the presidents we've had for the last twenty thirty forty years, you've heard many of them talk about the need for devoting the necessary resources and to get things improved as much as possible. At the Federal Aviation Administration, rarely does it happen. Now, we've had a few projects next gen the tracking system that has been so decades behind schedule, so far over costs, it's been ridiculous. But the idea of getting this kind of attention now thrills me because if they can attack it like the Manhattan Project, knock it out in two or three years, and come out with something that's state of the art. It means that even if we have air traffic controllers that are working shorthanded as we are across the country, let's at least give them the state of the art technology. Let's make it as easy on them as we can to do their jobs, which of course is just going to make everything that much more safe. And of course, when Donald Trump comes out and fires four hundred or three hundred people from the FAA, that's what everybody's screaming about. And you know, they asked the Delta CEO at Bastian this week I think it was yesterday about that very point, and he just shrugged it off. He said, look, about three or four hundred people. They were probationary employees, none of them air traffic control, none of them in a critical supports position. And yeah, it was just part of all the trimming that's taking place right now.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 3: I'll be the first to admit the opticts look horrible, but the bottom line is the idea that these were air traffic control rollers and individual No, they were probationary employees. A lot of them are being interviewed and you would think they were the head of the FAA, but that's not the case. So what we have as as far as the situation here is if we can get everything upgraded and we can devote more time in getting a non DEI approach to air traffic controllers, I think we're going to be in good shape. Because it was a number of years ago the FAA wanted to be more inclusive. Nothing wrong with that, but they significantly lowered the standards for us bringing in individuals from a qualification standpoint, and that's where I have my issue. I don't care about anybody's whatever. I just want to make sure that they're the most qualified individual, male, female, whatever for that position. And as long as that's the focus, then that's great. I don't want to have a DEI policy like United wants for pilots where they want twenty percent of their pilots hired to be women or minorities. That's a great goal, but to have that stated that means you're going to say no to very qualified people to bring in less qualified people. And even though some will say, well, that's not a downgrade and safety because they're all qualified. Look, if I've got an attorney as fifty years experience versus one that's got ten years experience, I know which one I want to go with problems.
Speaker 1: You were right on that. All right, let's move over. There was another uh.
Speaker 3: Oh, and Brian, excuse me, I do have an attorney.
Speaker 8: Question for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Delta Airlines is coming out offering the people on the Toronto flight thirty thousand dollars, no strings attached, and the thought is it would not prevent you from further lawsuits or anything you want to do legally down the road. I want to trust Delta to do this, I really do, because it's such a nice gesture. But I would wonder, from your hat and your experience, what would you think about somebody taking that thirty thousand dollars from Delta.
Speaker 1: Well, if it didn't come with strings attached, because I would figure that they would have a well a settlement agreement form pre prepared that by signing on the dotted line and accepting thirty thousand dollars, you agree to release and Delta from all further liability. But if they're just saying here, I don't know that can necessarily impact it. Accept at trial when you were asking for your damages and Delta's attorneys, if you have to go through the trial process, would say, well, it needs to be reduced. We did give you thirty thousand dollars, right, so you're part of your pain and suffering or your economic damages or whatever, it has already been reduced by that amount. So but since you're talking about, you know, theoretical numbers, like how much do you get for pain and suffering and emotional damage? What does that figure really even mean? So it's a random figure that a jury might award you that you're going to be reduced by a thirty thousand dollars amount of Okay whatever, Maybe the jury gave the guy thirty thousand dollars more than he really even needed. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's like out the idea that you would be comfortable with. It makes me feel better about it, because, you know, sadly, in my career, there were times I had to deal with individuals that survived plane crashes, some that were the sole survivors of commercial crashes. And I'm thrilled that everybody survived, but we would be remiss at not remembering that the emotional stress that these individuals went through is going to be something that for many of them, they're going to be living with and coping with for the rest.
Speaker 8: Of their life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a decision to never fly again because I almost died. I can understand that a lot. Yeah, let's pause. We're going to talk about the other mid air collision between the General Aviation airplanes, and then also a word or two about breaking wheelchairs plus hub delays. One more with Jay Ratliffe.
Speaker 4: Hang around fifty five car the talk station.
Speaker 1: One more time for the nine weather forecast twenty two for the high today with clouds over night, a little thirteen with clouds thirty with some sun tomorrow, and the flood warning ending at one thirty, partly cloudie overnight with a little thirteen Saturday clearing up, and thirty seven thirteen degrees right now times the final traffic chuck.
Speaker 4: From the UCAL Tramping Center. You see Health.
Speaker 9: You find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better. I've comes expect more at you see health dot com. Northbound seventy five is shut down that Cincinnati Dayton Road due to an accident went back to traffic through Westchester. Southbound seventy five closed at Paddock due to an early morning wreck. There's an accident North Pound seventy one and Fifer Chuck Ingraman fifty five Kira see the talk station.
Speaker 1: A forty eight fifty five Krcddarks station One more time with I heard mediavas expert Jay Ratliffe, And what's the story in the two planes that flew into each other? Jay?
Speaker 3: You know, anytime we have a general aviation accident, now it's gonna make frontline, Yeah, headlines. It normally doesn't. So sadly, we might have eight or ten people every week that die in general aviation accidents. So when we had these two planes collide in outside of Tucson now about twenty five miles outside of Tucson at a regional airport, it just raises everybody's concern overflying. But one of them was Assessena and those that have flown in Assessina knows the wings over your head, the blind spot is above you. And the other airplane involved was an aircraft that was a low wing, the kind you step onto the wing and then jump in to the end of the interior of the airplane where the blind spot is underneath. And Brian, we had a situation here in Cincinnati a number of years ago and We've had them around the country where you have this type of scenario where the cessana can't see above it and the other airplane can't see below it, and there's times that they occupy the same airspace collide and sometimes fatalities occur, and I suspect that's what probably happened here. They do not have an air traffic control tower at this Minera Regional Airport. They've been approved for one, but they're five years behind. COVID really set them back. So you had pilots that were in essence talking to everyone as they were doing what they were doing. And you know, again, we just had two airplanes that were in the wrong position here, at least one of them, and you know, the ntsb'll find out why. But remember, we'll have four or five, maybe six hundred fatalities every year on general aviation. So in the sixteen years we went without an accident here in the United States, commercially, there were probably seven to eight nine thousand fatalities on general aviation. So wow, it's a norm. So I'm just trying to keep things in proper perspective so people don't think we're having more planes. Swallow of this guy now than we've ever had, because that simply wouldn't be an accurate statement.
Speaker 1: Well, my dad had a pilot's license. He hadn't flown since I think before I was since I was before I was born, But he knew aviation and he knew the concepts and everything. Anyway, when they were in Alaska and doing one of those you know, flyover Alaska airplane kind of deals, and he called the pilot's attention to a very close aircraft, you know, said two o'clock, two o'clock, and maybe avoided a collision because they're just flying around doing sight seeing. Well, I think it was only a couple weeks later in the news, and it's the reason he brought the story up. Two of them flew into each other up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yep, it happens, and it's happening less now because we have technology that continues to improve and a lot more of a situational awareness on the training side. But sadly, you have a lot of people that are pilots that are trying to increase the number of their flight hours so they can qualify to become commercial pilots. They're flying some of these smaller tour type airplanes and they don't have quite the experience that we would like him to have, and sadly, sometimes mistakes take place.
Speaker 1: All right, moving over to breaking wheelchairs, this is a thing.
Speaker 3: Well, airlines have made it a thing because over the last several years they have broken, loss, delayed all kinds of wheelchairs to the point that the Biden administration, lasts fall through the Department of Trainransportation came out with a ruling that said, look, airlines are responsible for the handling of wheelchairs and disabled passengers because Brian, when you have a situation where someone is unable to walk, they have to be carried on and off the aircraft, and the airline doesn't have an aisle chair, the smaller, narrow the thing you put a person on, getting them off their wheelchair in the jet bridge and then taking back to road ten or something. Some airlines don't have those at the gate like they're supposed to, even though they have advanced warning, and some passengers have been forced to crawl out of the airplane so they can be then placed into their wheelchair. So the Biden Administration, to their credit, said, look, when this type of thing's happened, it's an automatic violation of the Federal Air Carrier Access Act, which makes perfect sense. So the airlines were held to a higher standard. Well, now that we have a different administration, and now that they've already had a victory in court over the fee disclosures on reservations the airlines, for the lobbying group for the airlines or back in court representing five airlines who are challenging this thing. It's not exactly fair for us to have this kind of thing imposed on us, and they're looking for it to be thrown out the window. Now I suspect, and I really want to be wrong here, they're going to get their way and it's going to disappear because this is a very friendly airline friendly administration, as every other administration has been before. Other than for whatever the reason, the bid administration went after airlines unlike any that I've ever seen. In the last two years, airlines have been held accountable in ways that I love because finally they're being held to standards, not from a safety standpoint, but from a customer service standpoint, being forced to provide better service. So I'll keep an eye on this one and I'll let you know. But I suspect that surprise this one will probably be thrown out the window where airlines are no longer required to have specific requirements when they lose or damage wheelchair, many of which that are personally made. You just can't put somebody in a wheelchair that it's in a wheelchair because sometimes for medical reasons, the wheelchair they have this has to be specially designed. So to misplace one, lose one for ten, twelve, twenty four to thirty six hours, Yeah, puts that individual in incredible pain and suffering while they're waiting for the airline to get their act together to get the wheelchair that they have lost, which should be a priority you know, returned to the customer.
Speaker 1: Fair enough on that.
Speaker 3: And finally, how many times damage wants it gets there?
Speaker 1: Brian, I'm sorry to laugh about that, but that comes to shock.
Speaker 4: It's sad, it is it is.
Speaker 1: How about finally we end on hub delays.
Speaker 3: If you're flying today Salt Lake City, Philadelphia, d C. And Charlotte, looks like those hubs are gonna have weather delays that could approach an hour. Other than that to other places around the country, it should be a pretty.
Speaker 14: Goo da to fly.
Speaker 1: Sounds great, I heard me. Theavia's next fort Jay Ratliffe love having you on my show every Thursday. We'll do it again next Thursday, and of course between now and then, have a fantastic week and weekend. Eight fifty five Folks fifty five Krcity Talk Station couldn't listen to Ken Cobra FLP President. They got a problem. City of Cincinnati's Emergency Communications Responder programs civilians showing up when cops should show up. Challenging. Yeah, Ohio State Representative Jennifer Grows on medicaid a variety of different things and points on that really important to hear her conversation with me, and I recommend you do it. Fifty five cars dot com Donovan and Neil protecting prosperity and the Trump tax cuts. Got a big event at the farm next week the details. Fifty five car sea dot Com get a copy of Michael Walsh's book, A Rage to Conquer Twelve Battles that Change the Course of Western History. Fifty five KRS dot Com Thanks as always to executive producer Joe Stracker for doing what he does each and every day. Tune in tomorrow for Tech Friday mcdave Hatter among other guests, and have a great day and took away.
Speaker 4: I'm beck is up next, covering Trump's first one hundred days.
Speaker 11: Every day we stand on the verge of the four greatest years in American history.
Speaker 4: Fifty five krc DE talkstation