Speaker 1: All right, everybody knows the results of the Masters from Sunday that Roy McElroy won, But what's kind of bubbled up to the surface is how emotional this victory was for Roy McElroy. And I'm gonna be honest, I did not get emotional watching Roy win the Masters.
Speaker 2: Because you had a wager elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Funny you would say that, but it got you right.
Speaker 2: It's so yeah, and it's funny. And we've we've got someone special on the line here too. We'll get to that in a second. But I I have not watched any of a golf tournament in probably a decade really, honestly, like a decade. And you know, we were we were out on the lake. My daughter had some clients for awake surfing lessons and they were at big golf fans and they just that's all they were talking about, was going to go go back and watch see if Rory McElroy can win, because he had a big lead at the beginning of the day. And I was like, you know what, I think, I'm gonna turn that on. They got me really interested in the story, you know, the Grand Slam thing. Kind of a dry spell. Again, I haven't watched golf in a decade. I watched the last six holes and then then the playoff, and the boy, the Masters is amazing at pulling you in for a while and it doesn't even look real. I'm like, am I looking at a real place? Is there a big bubble over this? And I got so into it and my wife walks in. She knows I don't watch golf, and she goes, are you crying? I was like, well, yes, maybe a little bit, but it's just the power of sports. It's just and just that I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was boohooing yeah again, just thinking about it. You weren't alone.
Speaker 1: And joining us is a longtime friend and his name is Rich Beam.
Speaker 3: He's the two thousand and two A champion.
Speaker 1: He's three or four time winner Austins the night. Yeah, and a good friend and a huge JB and Sandy fan. It has been for years, which always finds huge.
Speaker 2: One of our biggest yeah, one of our biggest fans.
Speaker 1: Rich Beam joins us. And what's interesting, Rich, I want you to tell everybody. Rich works for Sky Sports, which is the UK sports channel in the UK for the unwashed, the UK United Kingdom. You may know it is England, and uh, he does. He's a he's an analyst on the game. And he sits next to some big names in golf. One of them was Nick Faldo. While they're calling the Masters for everybody in the UK uh as they're watching it. It was Sunday night when they were watching it. But he told me that Nick Faldo came to broke down in tears watching this. Rich tell us about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and yes, massive fans of you as always. I mean, I'm just I love you guys. Got the band back together, right, But yeah, so I'm sitting there next to you and Murray, who's basically our Jim. Nancy kind of sets up the rest of us. And it was myself and Nick Faldo in commentary and when you know, and Nick had set up a couple of things beautifully. In fact, he said, you know, I bet you when Rory McElroy, if Rory McRory wins us on the seventi second, he's going to collapse on the ground, collapse into tears. Well, obviously it went into a playoff, but sure enough, after he made it, he collapsed on the ground. Rory did, and and Nick has never been shy of words, right, he's he brings a lot of great opinions insights into the game. But literally he stopped talking, and I was kind of looking at him a little strange, and I kind of thought, wait a second, where his eyes getting a little watery. I know there's allergies here, but I mean, and he literally he couldn't speak. His voice was breaking up. And then all of a sudden, my co host or you and Murray the host, he's his voice starts breaking up.
Speaker 5: So I started breaking up.
Speaker 4: I'm going We're just three grown men that are just set there in a bond of tears. And I think the reason, you know, for us and even for Nick, more than anything else, is because the fact that you know, we saw what this golf, what this game can do to you, like it had broken Rory down many many times. He famously lost the US Open last year to Bryson d. Chambeau, and he talked about going up to New York, putting on his headphones and literally just disappearing in the city where you know, most people wouldn't know who he is, and you know, he talks about it. And this was his twelfth attempt at winning the Masters, which would have completed the career Grand Slam, and if you watched the entire day yesterday, you couldn't have predicted what was going to happen. Rory went from two up to one down after two holes, and then to four up and then had at one point in time he was seven ahead of Justin Rose and and then all of a sudden he collapses. Roy does and then comes back again. It was the strangest thing I'd ever seen. But I have to admit I am overjoyed not only in him winning, but I called you, Sandy last night and told you that could have been the coolest thing I've ever been a part of.
Speaker 5: And I was so proud to be a part of it because it was epic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Tricia, I'm curious.
Speaker 1: I want you to chime in it, because Tricia and I watched it Sunday night together and she was all into it.
Speaker 3: You never watched golf.
Speaker 1: What was it that drug you into the loud cheers and the clapping and the happy for Roy when he won.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. I was watching it, first of all.
Speaker 6: Excuse me. I saw the clip of McElroy's four year old daughter Poppy sinking that long put, which was all over social media, so that kind of honed me in on him. But other than that, I mean just watching it and like the Master's really good at building up this system. And I like Michael Ray. I've seen him before. He just seems like a good guy, right, And you could see his emotions on his face when he was happy.
Speaker 3: With the crowd too, right, Tricia, the crowd wild.
Speaker 6: But as you could see, I remember I told you Sanders like, oh my god, I was like, he's holding on too tight, Like his face is all squinched up when he had when he bogeyed. Then you could see how happy he was when he got a birdie, Like he wasn't just stoic. You could feel the emotions with him. I think that's part of what sucked me into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of my theories too is again I haven't watched any golf in a long time. The Masters is unbelievable on the coverage, and uh, it just ropes you in like a movie in a way. It really got me.
Speaker 3: And they don't.
Speaker 2: They don't lose your attention breaking it up with Viagra ads, you know, So I thank you for.
Speaker 3: That, But I was rich.
Speaker 1: Rich called me Sunday night at the end of the tournament and he was in his car leaving Augusta National, and as we were talking, I thought, One, this guy sounds exhausted, and two, I think he's gonna cry when I was.
Speaker 3: When he was telling me, you were so wrapped up in it.
Speaker 1: And I mean, you know better than anybody having played golf at the absolute highest level, and one at the highest level, that man, that's got to be tough to take when.
Speaker 3: You lose at the highest level too, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So to see him win and a guy like you said they've been kind of knocked down and dragged out and threw it for the last eleven years, I can see why as a player you definitely were happy for him.
Speaker 5: Most definitely.
Speaker 4: And I'll and you guys both know my wife Sarah, and I'll give you one even better. After I got the phone with you, Sandy, I called my wife Sarah and I told her kind of what.
Speaker 5: I was kind of going through.
Speaker 4: She goes, you see, look what you've put me through for fourteen years when I was out for you around you know, finally I finally kind of understood it all because I think as a player, you're always rooting for the good.
Speaker 5: Stories and you're room for the good guys.
Speaker 4: I mean nothing against Bryson, but to complete the career Grand Slam, something that he's been trying to do for eleven years, and he's prepared for it so many different ways. And this is a big deal because he now just becomes the sixth male golfer to ever complete the career Grand Slam, And so it's a very If it is a sporting.
Speaker 5: Feat, it is massive. This is a huge deal.
Speaker 4: And so to you know, to be a part of it, to watch somebody. I remember when Tiger did it back in two thousand and I think it was two thousand, it was almost just like one of those things that it's inevitable, right because he is so great and he just breathed right through it. But it took Rory eleven times. It took him on his twelfth try to finally do it, and he'd had a little bit of hard break. He famously went into the last round in twenty eleven with the lead and then kind of fell apart. But just to see him go through this time and time again, you're just like, holy cow, I mean, like, how much can this guy take? And then to watch him have this great lead, and then all of a sudden on thirteen and fourteen it slips away, and then he produces some great shots on fifteen and seventeen, and then lets it slip away on eighteen again. And it was just the most roller coaster of emotions because you want him to win, you want to witness history.
Speaker 5: Want to be a part of it.
Speaker 4: But the way that he did it, You're not going to get any better theater than that, I can promise you hardly in any sport.
Speaker 3: Rich.
Speaker 1: I just looked it up. You know this, but others might won't be curious. Rich's best finished at the master's fifteenth place. That's prett damn good man.
Speaker 3: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: It was pretty good that my first year there, and then after that I figured out exactly how hard it was, and I kind of.
Speaker 3: That, you know, part of it.
Speaker 2: What was going through my head watching it is you know, like Sandy and I were at the Longhorn two thousand and five Championship, one of the greatest moments in sports, but not not emotional like this. But what's so different and Rich you can you can elaborate on this is it? It is a it's all on your shoulders, your shoulders, and it's all in your head. It is not a team sport. Yeah, where the team sports you can always go, well, there's there's a you know, so many variables with so many different players and moments. This is all on you and the the mental game with it. I mean, it's just to expand on that. And then part two of it is do do most golfers see therapists regularly? To manage that.
Speaker 3: Great question?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I'll answer the second question absolutely, because it's not just managing what you're doing in there, it's you know, it's managing the scrutiny that you have other people. I can't imagine what Rory would have you know, what he would have done today if he had lost, if he had not wanted after control the questions that you have to answer to the media afterwards if you choose to talk to them, which I think he would have. But the devastation that he must have felt having it so closely in his grass only to watch it slip away. I think that would have been like I wouldn't I wouldn't have been surprised if he just says, you know, I guys, I'm gonna take a year off I'm not. I'm tired of this because it truly is a mental beatdown and to have it in your graphs like that JB. And then and to lose it like he did last year in the US, so that was soul crushing. But you're right, it's just you and your caddy out there. I used to I used to say, you know, nobody really cares anything that I do on the golf cour except for me, my caddy, my wife, and my accountant. That's the only three people that really really you know what I shoot. And so but it's just it's much more than that, because you especially with a guy like Rory who wears his emotions on his sleeves, he's carrying the weight of the world with him because he knows not only he's not doing it for just himself obviously, but what it means to you know, his family. His mom and dad famously had to work. His dad worked two jobs in order to afford what he did to in golf, whether it's travel, equipment, lessons, things like that. So mom and dad sacrifice a lot and to be able to repay them in spades like he already has.
Speaker 5: But to complete the career, Grand Slam. That's just.
Speaker 4: It's a heroic story and I just you know, the hard part about it all. I like you said, Jab, sometimes you do have you know, you have to answer to other people because there'd be a lot of questions are going to be asked if he did not win, and that would.
Speaker 1: Have been just crippling for those of you who may not know what the career Grand Slam is. That's winning all four of golf's major championships, the Masters, the PGA Championship, the United States Open and the Open or the British Open in a career. Only six people have done it, and that's why this story with Roy McElroy is such a such a big deal. So Rich, thanks for joining us today. It's always fun talking to you. And safe travels. I don't know how you do it. What do you travel? Forty forty weeks a year something like that.
Speaker 5: I travel about thirty five weeks a year.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to cut back a little bit, but yeah, sis, thirty five weeks a year. But I mean, the great thing about it is I get to see a lot of this country. And the drive from Augusta to to Hilton Head is it's very quiet, which is good and bad because you're alone with your thoughts and all the people that are living up there.
Speaker 5: But it's it's actually pretty serene.
Speaker 4: You get three and a half hours of just kind of quiet time, no cell phones because there's nothing out there for service.
Speaker 3: But and then those damn DJs call you right in the morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I literally have skipped about five phone calls because I'm like, even if I answered, they're not gonna be able to hear me because I've got one bar and it's it's fading fast. But no, it's always great talking to you guys. I've obviously been a massive fan of the JB and Sandy Show since the day that I put in Austin, So I'm glad that you guys are are doing your thing again.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Rich, Rich, hang on, don't