Speaker 1: Beauty ful. Wow.
Speaker 2: Sorry right off the gate with that one. Uh.
Speaker 1: The final episode of Jeff Jeff's Our Adventure with a weird like are you gonna just do the whole podcasting voice?
Speaker 3: Jeff, No, No, I've thought about it, John, I just wanted to do it.
Speaker 2: No impulse control. I'm sorry, Like, no, the lemmings actually do that thing that you know, like I want to jump off cliffs and stuff. Where was that urban myth?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: You know how there's the game Lemmings. Well, there's an actual creature called a lemming.
Speaker 3: Yes, they like follow each that's the whole point. I think those creatures like our monkey see monkey, do creatures.
Speaker 2: Right, But they don't have a natural pachant for wanting to jump off a cliff.
Speaker 3: Like self agency. Yeah, they're just sort of like, well, Larry's doing it, I'm going to do it. Yeah, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 2: And yet, every and yet everyone calls coffeecats sheep and not lemmings. It makes you.
Speaker 1: Think, oh my god, you're so right.
Speaker 2: I think lemmons just have better pe o than sheep.
Speaker 1: I'm sick.
Speaker 2: I'm sick, guys.
Speaker 3: Keep all this a little a little.
Speaker 2: Hopped up on some cold meds right now, I've got a cup of tea, I've got a little heating pad. I've gone my old lady blanket.
Speaker 1: It's great, Oh man, I I so one of the recent additions to my home is a old Lady blanket on my l shaped couch. Yes, guys, I don't need old Lady where else? Ever?
Speaker 2: Do you know on that couch? You know how much I fall asleep on the couch. It's like nightly, daily, nightly and ever so rightly.
Speaker 3: Okay, does it smell? Does your old lady blankets smell?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, it's just a nice blanket.
Speaker 3: But it's like beat up. Can't an old lady blanket can't be like brand new?
Speaker 1: Okay. This is more like a faux wolf skin blanket. Very okay. And it's just it's just it's it's just heavenly and it's under that blanket. I recently watched the Cowboy Bebop movie because welcome to the final episode of Jeff Jeff's Bizarre Adventure to my left. One of the most anime animes teveror anime. It's Lucy James. Oh.
Speaker 2: I didn't think I was going to get that one. I thought that was for Jeff, but you know what, I will accept it. Thank you, my right.
Speaker 1: The most manga mine gets tever turn turn a page, it's t more.
Speaker 5: Hello. I moved my Discord window up, which is a mistake because now my neck hut and I'm looking on constantly.
Speaker 1: Great stuff to more and with you always once the students. Now the master. Though his anime journey has ended, his anime life is just beginning. Oah, it's Jeff Bickler.
Speaker 3: Thank you for that honestly beautiful introduction.
Speaker 5: John.
Speaker 3: It's true, folks, today is the last day I watch an anime for the entire rest of my life. I'm not allowed anymore because the podcast is ending, and.
Speaker 1: I feel like we are.
Speaker 5: I feel like we gave him a graduation just for the sake of it. There for convenience seems onearthed.
Speaker 3: It seems onearthed. The work to do, there's a lot of work to do. I watched the eclipse. We experience. I experienced the eclipse, I lived through it, and and now I have to face the rest of my life without ever watching an anime again. Even though while my son just completed the entire Bay Blades. I guess it's an anime A. Right, you know Blades on that on Netflix. He he just finished the entire series and he's all caught up on the on the bays and the and the attacks and the low attacks and the speed attacks.
Speaker 2: What's the what's the lore of Baye Blade?
Speaker 1: Oh, Lucy, I don't it's just just you just you just asked what's the law of Naruto or Bleach? I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Here, I'll water it down for you.
Speaker 1: Loose.
Speaker 3: It's just a bunch of spinning tops.
Speaker 1: Well, that's accurate. That's not inaccurate. I've just okay, I I think I've talked on this podcast about my experiences in Babe Blade tournaments, right, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like you have because is that when we shared the time that we got really obsessed with blade.
Speaker 1: Wait, I think I think maybe that I think I had maybe followed a bay Blade TikToker at the time. Yeah, I know. Oh well, Blades, a friend of mine got real into a bay Blade in the last year, and I've gone to him to a bay Blade tournaments and you know what, very positive vibes, very nice place.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean, I think any kind of like tournament vibe is always going to have like a fun a fun thing going on. I tried. I tried to play bay Blade in the office once. I just couldn't do it.
Speaker 5: I just once we had a stream of it, we played it.
Speaker 3: You got a lot of rip. What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Well, no, but I just I think I was overthinking it in my head. I was trying to work on angles and trajectory.
Speaker 4: Just luck.
Speaker 3: It's just luck, I know, I know. I hate to just water it down. I played for about an hour last night with my kid, and oh, you got to mix and match, and when you find like a good match.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, is there a bay Blade meta?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, there there is. It goes. There's stamina blades, there's power blades and defense, right, and I think defense or balance, I think is the balance. And it's like a rock paper scissors for witch beat switch. But I also saw a bit of so video recently of an anime YouTuber uh fighting the world champion in bay Blade, and the anime YouTuber won.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's just flipping a coin, I guess. And huh that would that would make me rethink some things.
Speaker 2: That would destroy me if I would.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it can't be real. A tremendous amount of skill, right.
Speaker 1: So I can't. I can't. I want to reach out to this guy and find out what the deal was. But I think this skill in bay blade. There is skill in how you launch it, but I think the real skill is in the construction of a bay blade and how you balance, because like in the league that my friend competes in, there are like top players and our people who place high. I get it.
Speaker 3: And you can like mix and match and you can like start with like because the tops and there's three pieces, and like you can decide like which piece you want to go and be the sandwich and be the meat.
Speaker 1: You know, so you kind of.
Speaker 3: There's so so it's not like scizzoring going on there, you know.
Speaker 2: It's not like the the bottom always has to be defense, in the middle always has to be this. You can swap the order.
Speaker 3: Sort of the order.
Speaker 1: There's a bass, Lucy, and the bass is always attack, stamina defense, and you kind of bach the rest of the bay blade around that, but it's still going to be a stamina bay blade or an attack baby blade.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, this is this is a lot to take it.
Speaker 3: It's a lot. We'll have Dylan's going to start his own podcast about bay blades, and then we'll bring you on as a guest and we'll get you.
Speaker 2: Actually, we've got some of we got some of the greatest work so video and podcast minds. Does he have a title yet? Does he need help work shopping?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: Not yet, it's still it's still he's still work shopping it. And he's still.
Speaker 2: A bay Blade podcast. Yeah, I mean, let it. Let it did a bay Blade The thing is is, you're going to have to put a bay Blade podcast in there.
Speaker 1: Dip and the bit beasts.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Okay, listen, I'm glad we're going up. John Luke, please bleep all of these amazing title suggestions out of fear that they could leak out into the world and someone scoop them up. I also want to take a second to thank John for all of their incredible.
Speaker 1: Workable format for these years and years of doing the show.
Speaker 3: Uh, John Luke, thank you so very much for all of your hard work. We know it is terrible having to listen to us.
Speaker 1: I could not imagine the worst fate, honestly, and John Luke tanked every episode somehow.
Speaker 3: Amazing amazing w John Luc you have a lot to be proud of. Yes, And I want everyone listening to this to know how crucially important John Luke's work is to this show and how it's how it has been so crucial all these years. So thank you, John Luc the best.
Speaker 5: Thank you John Luke.
Speaker 3: Now, John Luke, we have to pause for a cat emergency. But you are a professional and you've dealt with cat emergencies on podcasts.
Speaker 1: They're not even sweating this, not for us. Like the average editor would be quaking at their boots, draphic meltdown like this, they'd be pulling out of the wall. Yep, I bet, I bet, I bet John Luke's gonna like just kind of take the cigar out of their mouth for just like a single second back in and.
Speaker 2: They do it with it.
Speaker 1: You think you do it.
Speaker 2: With one button because they're so good. I have like short cuts up every.
Speaker 1: This is happening on like the kind of mini the mini keyboard, you know, over to their right.
Speaker 3: Not the right right, of course, you've got it, John.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's I saw. It's cool that you're helping out Abby whether a keyboard Jeff, oh you heard about that? Yeah, yeah, it's just interesting because I feel like I came to you while asking, oh yeah, what I get a link to a YouTube video? No, really, I.
Speaker 2: Just got a link. Well, John, hey, let's plow on this thread. When I asked for help with a keyboard, I got a link to a keyboard website to build my own. But the whole point was I didn't know what all the ship did, and that's why I was coming to my good friend Jeff.
Speaker 1: Lucy. What that is is basically someone telling you to go yourself right, like.
Speaker 2: W w W dot go fuck yourself dot com. I believe, and then I and then I eventually found one on Amazon because I was watching a bunch of TikTokers because that's where I had to get my information from from TikTok. But it seems pretty good, go for it. I don't, I don't.
Speaker 3: Recall I have anything to say, uh that would fix this?
Speaker 5: Check this?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, great? What am I looking for?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What are the parameters for a good keyboard? As tasks? Jeff? Mostly size and switch, link to a website and then link to a forum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then and then and then so like so just a raw go fucus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also like linking.
Speaker 1: Linking to a form.
Speaker 2: Is like kind of an old school go fuck yourself, you.
Speaker 1: Know, No, it's a new school one. Listen, John Luke, I'm actually going to say leave all this in. I think, I think, I think so time to bring the curtain down on the kind of friend Jeff pretends to be.
Speaker 3: No the veneer, it's too much. No, listen, we can't. We must keep the secret alive. And well, no, no, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna say leave it all in. Just just leave all that in. And Lucy, Lucy, can you imagine the links and that we would both go to if Jeff ever came to us anything, anything, Oh my god, I would just just no matter what.
Speaker 3: Now we're just talking about me helping people with keyboards, right, I helped you time.
Speaker 1: Let me let me ask you complete hypothetical here. Okay, maybe you are a little lost on a subject, and you know that a friend is really really into that subject, to the point that sometimes maybe they talk about it excessively, like maybe they kind of drag down certain podcasts they're on by kind of just going of going over it too much, you know. But you decide that you're going to dip your toe into this interest, But you know, it's very overwhelming. There's a lot of options. You don't what you're doing. And you reach out to this friend and you're like, hey, I'm feeling a bit lost with this, maybe even a little lonely and a little scared, and I don't know what to do. And they link you back a single like bullshit? How to article? Like you couldn't have fucking looked out up yourself? What kind of friendship is that?
Speaker 5: Time? It was not a good one.
Speaker 1: It's not a good last time.
Speaker 5: I feel like the last time a friend asked me to do that about an interest that they had, I started a podcast with them to help them work for it, you know. Yeah, and we've reached the end of that podcast, and I would hope that my friend would do the similar thing for me. You know, you think the extra dedicated three years of your experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who did that?
Speaker 3: He that?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately time we're talking about you.
Speaker 3: No, but wow, No, it's just varying degrees of success. I feel like I've had hip hop to me. I'm not gonna say that that's that's not that I don't I don't go around to me.
Speaker 5: I've got an independent website, I'm going to shove out anyone else anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are I didn't say that that who said that? Because I couldn't really keep truck there. Everyone's got problems.
Speaker 1: What do you want?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 3: You got you guys? Should I'm here for your keyboard support, Tam, But.
Speaker 1: No, good, I'm good. You have your help board now.
Speaker 3: Yeah I helped Tam. So that's one out of three.
Speaker 1: So like, I guess, just me and Lucy fucking chop Liver over here. Favorite when I say, hell, I love chop Liver. You sent me some stuff and that was it. So I appreciate you sending me build it for you. Yeah, but that was it. It was It was like the ingredients. Good luck. I have a new keyboard now, Jeff. Let me tell you, I fucking hate it. Do you really? I'm sad every day trying to We'll get you. We'll get You're so busy, don't you should never? I could never get your brand new time. Look at your brand new link. You'll be set. You'll be set.
Speaker 5: Did you buy a pre build one or did you build it yourself?
Speaker 1: Tim? I I will discuss this with you, Tim offline. But I am feeling so vulnerable from the rejection I have already faced in this situation that I could not possibly re engage with this conversation with Jeff Broud. I don't feel safely well understandable. Okay, So I hope I watched the right thing, folks, That's right. I hope.
Speaker 3: I'll you'll know when I start to participate.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: I spent thirteen dollars Apple TV for this.
Speaker 3: Oh I don't think this was worth it was?
Speaker 1: Is it worse?
Speaker 2: I would say?
Speaker 1: I live to say the movie I I I recommended this movie thinking that we were going into like an all time great anime movie which I have not watched in about twenty years. And when I did watch it, I watched it in my initial like real cowboy Bebop love phase. And having watched it now, I think it's a cool movie, yes, but maybe not the masterpiece I thought.
Speaker 3: I think it's just a long sort of monster of the week guess.
Speaker 2: Yes, scenes and it's got fun vibes, but as a movie that comes together. Would not say it was particularly successful in that some cool steps.
Speaker 3: I so enjoyed cool set pieces. Yes, and it did all the cow the cool Cowboy bebop things that I want did it to do, especially in the beginning if I watched The Right Thing where where Spike and Jet are taking out a bunch of criminals at a at a comedian, yes, yes, okay, so I thought that, you know what, and like the second that started, I was just like, I was just like, man.
Speaker 1: A fucking off cowboy.
Speaker 3: There is that moment where you're like, yeah, you know the I think the plot to this thing is like not the strongest cowboy bebop sort of narrative. I did appreciate the fact that we didn't like have to sort of wade through some of the emotional baggage that the series sort of in my opinion kind of like dabbles a lot in and kind of fine.
Speaker 2: It didn't have emotional beats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just didn't want to deal with all of like the trauma that Spike's carrying with him, like that didn't show its face at all. We got to see Edward and Iron and Faye, and I mean Fay was great in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think that this movie is like three really good action set pieces and a bunch of very cool gifts. Gifts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm with you. This was comfort food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it definitely really has that thing where how do you do a movie of an anime and it's you introduce a new villain who doesn't really affect anything and get rid of that villain by the end of the episode, and.
Speaker 3: Which is what it was self contained. It happened in a vacuum. It didn't even matter when in the timeline this happened, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, And I would say to me, the main weakness I had with that I found with the film this Timmer is I just don't think the villain was like compelling at all. No, Right, he was cool, but he was not cool.
Speaker 3: Like I think he was introduced in a fun ishu way but not realized to possibly his full potential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I kind of think that there was a couple of sections where they kind of hint at like this sort of this like connection between Spike and the villain. Yeah, but I don't know they ever really earned. Like, No, there was a kind of you and me were not so different kind of vibe to parts of it, and like I think they are quite different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they look alike.
Speaker 2: They basically just had a shared experience on Titan or at least you know we were both in the war together, but we didn't know each other. But that makes us brothers regardless. I wouldn't have really, so I will hands hands in the air here. For the first fifty three minutes of the movie, I was painting my Wayne Scotting in my hallway, so I did have an in the background, and I was looking at.
Speaker 3: You had the movie on in the background.
Speaker 2: But then but only for the podcast fifty three means and then we went.
Speaker 1: Back for the majority of the movie.
Speaker 2: Then well, I was just painting. It's not like I was.
Speaker 1: And then I went back like it was a counter.
Speaker 2: And rewatched the opening again. I did, sure because Max wanted to watch it. So also sitting there shoutow to.
Speaker 5: When you said I don't have When you said I don't have it, I was like, he did not have it?
Speaker 3: Is it is anyone else? Overwhelmed with what's this emotion? I'm feeling disappointed.
Speaker 2: I was trying to put sh it on me, all right, little keyboard boy, I don't know this is? This is yesterday, A lot of dear why to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And this morning I don't care if it was for time.
Speaker 1: When I was watching this.
Speaker 3: It's early. Listen, I understand what you're saying, Lucy. I'm having fun with you. Still disappointed what you know now that we're all in agreement about that, Lucy is quite sick. Lucy's very sick, and her eyes don't work. I understand that it's hard to watch an hour and fifty five minute movie about little poison virus balls. I understand, But right, nano machines bitch, which you know, they stole a lot. They stole from Star Wars, and they stole from the Rock and they stole from all of these other popular pieces of media to make what we are all agreeing, was it mostly like mid to a average cowboy bebop?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You do you want some more cowboy Bebop? Yes? Cool?
Speaker 3: I would love some.
Speaker 1: You could watch this, you know, like that's kind of that's my Oh. I thought.
Speaker 3: I thought you were telling me there's a secret thing I haven't seen yet and I can get it.
Speaker 1: I think. I think from here you've experienced nearly me. I think there's a well, I was like, the manga is not made by the people.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think I think this movie is best experienced in clips on TikTok in terms of just like parceling out the really cool shit that makes you think the rest of it is better than it is.
Speaker 3: I disagree, genuinely. I think I think it's best experienced as a whole. I mean I have not also consumed it in thirty second clips on TikTok in a nine by sixteen presentation, but like I think, you know, I found it interesting right, Like it also it's widescreen, so it's like, oh, this is like a different Cowboy Bebop. I was like enjoying that. Also, the production value is like you notched up a petal jobs, like.
Speaker 2: Insanely detail in it, but like it's amazing five seconds. Some of those backdrops were ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I love that it's got a Halloween thing. I love that whole part. Yeah, I feel like that's fun. That's just empirically fun. I also found it interesting that like where did the like this took place.
Speaker 1: Was it Mars? Was this Mars? Or was it earth be leaves?
Speaker 5: So I think it's I thought it was still laws, but like the Arab district.
Speaker 3: Right right right, because there's like a bazaar he's in, and right there's like this whole element there which I thought was like, okay, so, but I also, you know, I was suspending your disbelief right where like Mars is not this red planet and it's just this like New York City was basically what it looked exactly like for the entire time, not to mention, you know, they also look The biggest thing I had, the biggest issue I had with the story here was that towards the end when they just kind of lay on you that we control the weather. That's what we do. That's always been a thing, We control the weather, and that is a big that is an essential plot point to the resolution of this story.
Speaker 5: Is a little bit issue that they're capable of doing it, or that they never mentioned it up until that.
Speaker 3: That they never mention it. I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: You feel like a little bit of an assphole plot thing, all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, because when I first saw it, I was like, oh, it makes sense. How would you build a civilization on Mars. You'd have to get control of the weather in terra forma.
Speaker 1: Not just I think from a world building sense it makes sense, but from a kind of like like I think maybe I don't know if there was something earlier in the film.
Speaker 3: Yes, introduced it in the first ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, like, there's a few there's a few issues I think I have with the movie. I think in general, Jet gets like nothing in this movie gets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a he's a piece of he gets a drive in.
Speaker 1: He gets said.
Speaker 2: I was in Portland a few weeks ago and we went to this really cool like TACU collectible shop and went in and they had these Cowboy by bab little figures. The entire box had been picked off Fay and Spike. Literally it was all Jet just left.
Speaker 1: Jet deserves people don't like that's crazy. I don't think it's even that like they would dislike him. I guess he just doesn't stand and he's not as traditionally hot as Spike or Face. Yeah, he's hot, is for someone, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: You know, he's he's he's fine. You know, I forgot how much I missed. I Oh my god, Iron in the Jackal lantern, Oh my god, give me that. That's a tattoo right there. I don't know why. I think I'm just gonna get on wearing a jack O lantern, like in the doodle Zone.
Speaker 2: What's the doodle Zone?
Speaker 1: I know that I have. I haven't answered this question. The doodle zone is anything that is below the knee or kind of like upper thigh my correct, Cheff.
Speaker 3: I'm just checking with the glossrom here.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So I heard Jeff explain that maybe four years ago on a podcast, so I.
Speaker 2: Would say that my my left arm, upper arm is that, and my right thigh. So I've got I've got two doodle zones.
Speaker 1: Well that's impressive.
Speaker 3: The doodle zone is really for places that no one will see a lot.
Speaker 2: Okay, so maybe just my thigh.
Speaker 1: I was I was thinking about geting a Simpsons tattoo in the doodle zone.
Speaker 2: Probably were considering I was considering getting a mill Pool.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good.
Speaker 3: Is that millhouse as when he tries to sign.
Speaker 2: His name on the bots cast and he goes, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't have to talk about this now, but my kid is incredibly interested in having lived through a month of Fortnight, it was fun.
Speaker 1: I bought the scratchy skin because I'm an idiot. Pretty good, It's been pretty good. But yeah, I'm struggling between bart is a raven from.
Speaker 3: The from the Halloween.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yeah, a Kanyan cotos one. I don't know cotos what if I saw it, I would get okay, got it?
Speaker 3: Sure and itchy and scratch. I like, that's for me.
Speaker 1: That's Halloween episode also feels like.
Speaker 2: More in line with like, you know, being spooky and your ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am quite spooky here.
Speaker 2: You know what I love? I love when Bart and Millhouse are in the car and you can just see like the tops of their head.
Speaker 1: Oh neat yet.
Speaker 2: I stitched t shirt once, like I did embroidery of it.
Speaker 5: You know the face that Bot makes when he drinks the pure slushie where it's his eyes and they're like, oh yeah, I think that would be a pretty good tie.
Speaker 3: All right, But what about cowboy bebop tattoos? I said mine.
Speaker 2: We had this conversation because we also like, there's not that many ones you could do. You could do spaceship see space cowboys ship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think is a great shout.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I've seen Spike do the I've seen people with that tattoo where he's bang yeah, or that that you didn't like, Jeff, Yeah, I didn't like that bit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. Also, like I like Spike I have a twelve inch figure of Spike. He's a cool dude, you know that, my twelve inch I just also just bought a trench coat for him. So I'm gonna like style the trench coat in the wind. Yeah, it's gonna be fun. Here's my problem with Spike. In the beginning, He's just so he's such a piece of ship. It's just like Jet's talking to you, Bud. Give the man some respect, like you know, He's just like, I'm tired. I have noodles too much.
Speaker 5: He doesn't.
Speaker 3: I wish someone just rub my shoulders. I need protein.
Speaker 7: It's like I would like, I would like I would like some more hangout camaraderie in this film because you get very little the characters.
Speaker 1: I don't like what they do with Faye. For most of the movie. I think Faye getting caught by that dude and like just the kind of pretty just not great scene of her getting like basically molested by this dude. I just thought I did not like that at all. I thought that sucked. Did not see anything her character any justice because I think she's more like she's phase like dangerous, you know what I mean. Yeah, And it just I just felt like it really depowered her, Like you remember that one scene where she just beats the shit out of an ali full of dudes.
Speaker 3: Yes, I agree with you, John, I think she was used as like she it was like a prop in a really unfortunate way.
Speaker 2: Like they didn't know what to do with her, so they gave her an arbitrary peril to deal with that just felt ultimately inconsequential and not really in keeping with her character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good assessment of her, like her her addiction to to to.
Speaker 4: Just sort of like.
Speaker 3: Not violence, but just sort of like action. And and they demonstrated that I guess where she was originally chasing down this bounty that they were looking for, driving the truck, and that's she sort of like, you know, is introducing the villain here. But yeah, then she kind of falls off and it's it's a it's a misuse of of her great sort of personality. I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy this, because I did. I did enjoy it. I think it was I enjoyed it too. I think I I think maybe I had just.
Speaker 1: Pumped it up too much for myself because I was just like, oh hell yeah, like the Cowboy Bebop movie. Here we Go. And then when I watched it back, I was like, well, this is a nice looking long episode, but there were still parts I really really enjoyed, and one of them was that opening section where Spike like bumbles his way into stopping a store robbery. I think that's fun him want to start to move so funny.
Speaker 3: Totally yeah, so good and it and it also does, to my point earlier, really demonstrate out of the gate of like, hey, we spent a little bit of money here. There's like some there, there's there's some optics, there's some real quality of life enhancements, and and larger investment in production value here. The movie also has like an interesting shadow look to it, where like you can see certain characters do cast a bit of their own almost like two point five dimensional shadow. I don't know if you guys pick this up, but there is some of this interesting layering going on there that I would imagine was a deliberate design choice, because it's not throughout, it's only in certain areas, and they kind of like people have like a bit of a gray outline to them, which I found to be really like nice to look at and watch that for me was the biggest thing. And I also love the fact that like it felt very New York. It just felt like a New York Cowboy Bebop movie for whatever. That's where down to the yellow taxicabs, right, So I really I dug that. You know, just like a lot of Cowboy Bebop, it takes its time, it makes a meal out of a lot of stuff, you know. I enjoyed sort of like where we were going with Electro. Yeah your name is that the Yeah, I thought that would have liked her more. Right.
Speaker 1: I liked where we were actuated.
Speaker 2: Like a fucking sleeping cell agent as soon as I heard her up in her mouth because I was like, Jennifer Hale, she is command of Shepherd.
Speaker 5: Yep, she's ah it's fantastic, yeah.
Speaker 1: Really really good. The first scene with her and Spike is great. It's great, yeah, really trying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the fight where he's like posing as a uh janitor, Yeah right.
Speaker 1: I just like the whole flow of that fight where he's like stopping her with the room and so at one point she just takes a second and snaps the room. It's like, Oh, that's that's the ship. I love from fights where it's gonna be like a conversation, you know, funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So do you want to like go over like what the story was. I mean, we've kind of been jumping all over.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're going to go through this scene by scene we normally do. I think I think, yeah, topics and maybe going through that way is a little more digestile. I don't know, jeah.
Speaker 1: So, like the basic plot is that there is this guy and he is a like terrorist and he has basically stolen this like biological weapon, which is this like nerve gas thing contained in these small spheres, which once it hits the air, will immediately like kill anyone it touches. And it's this whole kind of very eighties action movie villain thing of the government fucked me over and so now I'm going to commit acts of terrorism to get my revenge real. Oh, under siege that that old Steven Sigal movie, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: It's it's the rock and the Rock, right, The rock is.
Speaker 1: About the rock all like the ex military uh, traumatized soldiers turns out the greatest villain of all I guess, but it's uh, and like, you know, the plot is fine. I think there's a lot of kind of just being connected from A to B to C in like I would say, not super interesting ways, a lot of like following Spike around and like, well, I would say the conversations he's having aren't that interesting. I often find like the place he's he's having them are so fucking cool. Like there's this little section where he walks into this clock shop and it's just like this golden shop and its ceiling is filled with clocks, and it's like his palette changes and it's like it's so atmospheric and gorgeous. And I think it's moments like that that are kind of that is the fun of this movie, maybe opposed to any like character or plot stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, I and and you know, and I was while I was watching it, I was like, oh, you know what, Like, no one needs to see Cowboy Bebop ever to be able to appreciate this, do you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean? Yeah? Yeah, it is a Standaloneah, It's.
Speaker 3: It's a standalone. I thought that was really cool. I was like, you know what, like, because and I gotta imagine that the deliberate choice too, right, if they kind of like you know, yeah, right, you got to.
Speaker 2: Make it as I think as possible.
Speaker 5: Was it released. I think it was released in theaters, I remember correctly, and I feel like that's a symptom of that. Like if it was Straight to City or whatever, you could assume that anyone experiencing it has history. But I think because it was a theater release, they needed to make it broadly more understandable. And I think that's one of the reasons it's not as impactful from a narrative perspective as it could have been. To rely on you know, the series as a starting point would have just confused a lot of people because you'll probably start off with a lot of people being depressed.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I think you're right, Sam, And I think maybe that stops what that stops some kind of diving into like the character dynamics or like any of their stories, because I think this is meant to take place between episode twenty two and twenty three, and at that point, each one of the guys have been torn open a little bit and we're really starting to get like who they are, and you just get none of that here. But like what you do get is you get that like really beautiful intro, which I think, Jeff, when you said earlier about this being like a New York, New York movie, that black and white intro of just like the different people, I think really really nails that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 1: The song's a little weird.
Speaker 3: I don't think the song's fun. It's fun, I just don't know if it like directly matches the vibe of what they're maybe to accomplish. But it was the entire movie like it. There's a lot of license music, and I just missed how coboy bebop sounds.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean there was some like little jazzy moments and stuff, but I missed tank a lot, like the opening song. Even though it's nice to have something different, I don't know that's something about it that is just so embodies bebop.
Speaker 3: So well, yeah, yeah, yeah I missed. I did miss the music. I'd missed the jazz, right, I missed, Like I forget it's so like it's so uh inescapable from this thing. I don't it really?
Speaker 1: Did you know? Watching this whole thing made me.
Speaker 3: Like realize, like I think this was still my favorite of all the stuff we watched. Like I think that the Cowboy Bebop series maybe. I mean, although season one and two.
Speaker 1: Of JoJo's are up there too.
Speaker 3: I mean, I look, I liked everything, am I allowed just like everything everything.
Speaker 2: That just means we did a great That was kind of the point of picking stuff for you.
Speaker 5: We're going to sit down and watch something that we think you might hate.
Speaker 3: Well, I do think there was like trepidation right there was certainly like, oh my god, is he gonna like berserk right there? You I think you admitted that to me. Yeah, it was definitely a bit.
Speaker 2: Of a was the slight amble.
Speaker 5: It was. Yeah, it was the first big swing that we took.
Speaker 3: I was I was in I was in Asbury Park, New Jersey, over the over the weekend and I have a buddy who is a friend, a cousin of a close friend of mine, and he opened a vinyl and comic book store on the boardwalk there and I'm in there and I'm going through all the books and I'm like, oh, I've seen that, I've seen that, so I know about this. I know about that. And let me tell you guys something they were in Yeah, like oh really, They're like, oh, wow, you watched well, you watched the nineteen ninety seven anime right like yep, I certainly did, and even Stacey could talk to it too, for the two episodes that she watched before all hell broke loose in the in the Midlands.
Speaker 1: Is that what it was? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I feel like we made it. Doesn't it's successful?
Speaker 1: Right totally? That that's proof.
Speaker 3: That's that's real world proof that this entire series has been what.
Speaker 2: We gave you transferable skills to use in your real life. Impressed.
Speaker 3: I looked cool with dorks ye, and I was I was King of the Dorks.
Speaker 1: If just for an hour, that's what you need. It was beautiful. That's so beautiful. No, that's that that that was the entire jo.
Speaker 2: Looked so proud. Sure, well you were telling that story a proud I did.
Speaker 1: It nearly makes up for that time during the panel someone asked you what a stand is?
Speaker 3: Oh, and you did not Oh you didn't like that. You didn't like my answer?
Speaker 2: What was your answer?
Speaker 1: I didn't like an answer, he didn't say helped primarily with Haman, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Which is like wrong, I guess, but also I yeah, I think I'm I'm I've grown from that point, John, I'd like to think I've evolved, I've found a new form.
Speaker 1: Jeff, I'm curious, like, what are what what What would be some of your favorite and if you need a minute here, we can come back to it. What would be some of your favorite like anime moments that you encountered in over the course of Jeff Jeff's.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, this could should definitely be a group effort, I think just for you know, memories. I do think when I first jumped into Joe Joe's and not understanding anything, I was like when this show started to just like.
Speaker 1: That was a blessed period, all right, just.
Speaker 3: Getting the training wheels off for a little bit and then like being exposed. I think I'll tell you what. The thing that normalized it for me was the Roundabout song. Like the second I heard that, I was like, oh wait a minute, like.
Speaker 2: This isn't something on earth?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, Like Roundabout actually grounded me in a really interesting way. And then obviously all of the allusions to you know, American and like British rock, and I was like, oh, like okay, there's some sort of like infatuation, and I think a lot of that kind of like grounded it for me in a big way. And I do think the discovery of the vampiric kind of like nature of it all was like oh, because I think anime for me was always this kind of like foreign entity literally, right, that just seemed to my ignorance, right, like just seemed like impenetrable, like, oh, people who watch this are lying to themselves that they're getting out of it, right, I'll be honest, like again, my very nascent, immature sort of like ye, you know, even before we started this. I'm talking more like you know, when I was in college, right, and I like missed out on like tsunami, which I have obviously I have deep regrets about now because I would have already seen Cowboy Bebop.
Speaker 1: Oh let me tell you anime is a teenager different.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. And I think I missed out on these really formative sort of moments, which you know kind of bothered me a little bit, right, But you can't live life with hergreasts late never too late to start watching anime. That's what my dad used to tell me. So I think it's Yeah, I think like for me, that impenetrable sort of fog, having that lifted like that would genuinely the most, even though too many people listening would be like so glaring and be like, oh, Jeff, you're such a dumb eady how could you ever think that way? But like I really did need this. I needed to be able to speak this language and to be able to kind of like you know, traverse the kind of chasm that I artificially created for myself. There, you know my favorite parts. I love the the Italian Restaurant episode.
Speaker 1: I was so excited to get there from day one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like without a doubt, I'm trying to think of most of one punch man. I really just drifted with that energy very quickly, uh you know, as a bald man.
Speaker 1: What else in the way that.
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: And then and then I think Cowboy be about for me the first couple episodes. Obviously there was a character in that first episode which we can we all know who we're talking about. We have fond memories of Yep, of jet and understanding like, oh that that's what this is. This is this like retro future you know, kind of like uh noir space crime opera thing that you're gonna you know, and it's just like made for me and the way that I see people obsessed with Cowboy Bebop and never really knew what, you know, kool aid they were drinking. Now, having tasted it and understand it and being able to like totally relate has been so gratifying. And then you know, look, I think with Berserk, obviously watching that whole series, knowing the thing, what am I waiting for? What does this T shirt mean? Tam doing that to me that way.
Speaker 5: I felt like it helped.
Speaker 3: You know, I know I talked about this in the finale of the Berserk thing, but like I cannot under overstate rather just how much that having that shirt in my closet freaked me out, because, let me tell you guys something. I didn't start wearing it until we finished Berserk.
Speaker 2: I couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: I couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: It was it was my black belt, you know, Like I could not bring myself to walk around with this. What are those characters? I know their names, but what was there? The god hands? Like I couldn't go around life society. I couldn't be out there, exposed to the elements and have someone recognize what I was wearing and then start talking to me about it. No, no, no, no, no, I'm wearing this shirt premature and be like, oh, so you're a fraud, Yes, you're I am a fraud. You're correct, I haven't earned the right to wear this T shirt. But that was honestly such an interesting dynamic to this. I know it sounds silly, but like I that that was genuinely like the under the floorboards, Like that was like the you know, the thing that was the beating heart. That was like this thing in my closet where I'm just like, the fucker's on.
Speaker 5: In the world?
Speaker 1: These people sprain exposed?
Speaker 2: Do you recognize?
Speaker 3: So I'll say this and Tam, You're gonna you're gonna just freak out when I say this. The only thing that looked familiar to me was this elden ring ass looking motherfucker with that sphere of cage on with the ball cage. That was the only thing where I was like, I'm like, who's that? Like I had I told you this in the in the finale berserk, like my mind wandered. I was like, oh my god, is this guy? Do they all just become like, you know, these cosmic beings and they just that's what this medieval war castle story turns into and in a way, yeah, that is kind of what it does. But yeah, like filling me with genuine dread in a way that I will be honest was a bit uncomfortable. You know. I don't know anyway, it's a very long answer, and I don't know if I answered everything you asked of me. But that's I think I did a decent job going through all.
Speaker 1: The series there. I think you did it. And I think when I think, like some of my favorite moments, I really enjoyed some of the arguments we've had, and I think my favorite one I think this is one of the only times on the podcast I maybe lost it with all three of you was the magnifying glass from Jojo. From Jojo season four, Rohan's house gets set on fire.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's so easy to forget all these little.
Speaker 1: I really I really loved the arguments about like the UFOs as well and how easy it is to do a cross.
Speaker 5: The crop was crop circle Gate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that was pretty good.
Speaker 5: I think I think real strong with his turn based comments.
Speaker 1: Cartoons was second. He said that, I'm like, oh, we.
Speaker 5: Got it's completely I feel like it's a completely unique contribution to the anime world from Jeff.
Speaker 1: I've never I've never heard that before me neither ever, And I was just like, and I just remember, like even the way you said that quote, Jeff, because I remember I put it in a video somewhere and you were so like exacerbated, like you were like these are like turn based cartoons, you know, and amazing.
Speaker 3: I you know, when that occurred to me, I was like very I'll be honest, I was like very like proud of that like conclusion. I drew when because I was by myself and I was just like.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's just what this fucking is.
Speaker 3: That's just what this fucking is.
Speaker 1: Like what are we hiding?
Speaker 3: We? What are we what are we trying to kid ourselves with? I still stand by that.
Speaker 1: Oh not inaccurate even slightly, Like I don't know just how to describe the pacing of a lot of anime better than that, right, you know, all it's missing is dice. That's it.
Speaker 2: My favorite jephism from the whole series of this podcast is every time we watch something and he get very incredulous and go, what are we doing here? What are we doing here? What are we doing here? It's something that I have now taken into my everyday vocabulary, and it just comes from you being exasperated at various anime shenanigans.
Speaker 3: We'll notice life presents itself in that way a lot, and what else can you say?
Speaker 1: But what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I also just love comparing notes after watching episodes because we'd all call up obviously like a lot of the same things, and then one of us would call up like a random little thing, and we'd all go, oh, yeah, what was that about, and we all sound like, Jeff, oh, we're doing it.
Speaker 3: It's not a bad thing, it's good. It grows on you, right.
Speaker 1: No, for sure, I think like it's always going to be difficult, well, pretty much impossible for me to separate, like this podcast from specifically getting to know the three of you, because I think like Tim Weed done a charity.
Speaker 5: Stream, right yeah, me and Lucy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then then I'd never met you, Jeff, and I really didn't know how that was going to go at all. And and then like you know, I've I we started the podcast, and I felt like we got on well. But I think then, Jeff, I remember our first meeting in New York. Do you remember that? Yeah, of course, what do you mean? And that was so interesting because like I remember just like waiting for you in like this this this Japanese restaurant, and you kind of came in and I was like, oh shit, there is you know, because like we'd never we'd at that point we've been doing the podcast like a year or two together and we'd never met it. Kind of just came over and you put your you put your hands on my hand. You just make me just go this, and I remember like immediately we just ended up having like like a pretty deep conversation kind of out of nowhere about different stuff, and then we just hang out, hung out in New York. Remember we bought puppets. Remember that I still have them. I haven't been I still have mine. I still have mine. And then the girl who sold us the puppets were like, are you super rip Patch Wolf? And then Jeff just like, what you don't recognize? Oh my hell? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't say it to her. Maybe I did say to you said that to her face. Did say it was fun though, because I was like, you're in a good mood, you'll take this joke.
Speaker 1: Well, did she think so? I think so?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And then like just the chaos of flying out to packs and being like really excited to meet you guys like proper. It's always weird to say meat because like obviously we met before that, but then like having that coat, with the chaos of oh boy, are we legally allowed put on this part getting on a plane, Like I remember that Monday, I didn't know if we were even I didn't know if I was getting on a plane and my flight was in like two days and I was like, oh, I remember.
Speaker 2: We also like we weren't sure if we were able to post, like if we should post it all, you know, like anything I'll never forget, like workshopping that tweet or like blue sky post in Jeff's hotel room with you John, It's just like how do we do this? How do we put this out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still proud of that name we came up with. End of Ze World.
Speaker 2: It's happening. I also never forget just Dib just dropping in, like taking a break from fucking Rocket League, even two minutes, and then he was like all right, and then just going back in, just ignoring us, just completely unfazed. And then you becoming his favorite person because we took him to play d and.
Speaker 3: D Oh my god, he still talked about it.
Speaker 1: DIB like melted my heart a couple moments on that trip. I think my favorite one was when he was talking to Stacy and he kind of just goes, could I get my hair died? And Stacey's just like what color? He just looks at me and he kind of goes just a normal color of like silver.
Speaker 3: God. He yeah, he is very much wosh coated.
Speaker 1: But the part that actually killed me, like the part that nearly like got me a tiny bit choked up, was he just kind of turns to me and he goes, do you have a kid, And I was like, no, I don't, and he just goes, huh, I feel like if you had a kid, me and that kid would be friends.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I know he's good at that. No, he doesn't know he's doing that. He's you know, I think he you know, I think he genuinely feels that way, and I think he's very good at expressing himself, you know, which is There was also like.
Speaker 1: A little like kind of running gag I had with me and him, where like every time I saw him, I'd introduce myself to him as if we've never met Like he'd start, he started, he'd get like annoyed about it. But then the last day I was like, I'm John and he was like, hey, I'm Tim. I was like and I was like, yeah, I don't ever remember meeting you before. And he was kind of like, well, I don't remember anything. And I kind of looked at him and I kind of looked at him and I was like, do you know where we are? And he was like no, and I was like me neither. Like we walked around, I think we were walking behind uh you guys for a little bit and we were just kind of looking at the stalls and stuff, being like, yeah, I have no idea what's going. I don't know who I am. It's just the stupidest like bit to have with ten.
Speaker 3: He's ten, I'll be eleven. Uh in a couple of months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like, oh man, I think back to that, that's so fondly Yeah, just like even that entire trip, like the panel. I was so delighted with how the panel went, because like I was worried that, like, you know, because what we gave people like a day's confirmation that it was even fucking on. I thought like, no one would be there and we had such a good turnout, and like everyone like it was so weird, Like it was just and like there was all these people that like I knew and respected from the internet, and I was like realized, Oh wow, they they just watched my stupid anime panel. You know.
Speaker 2: It was such a time.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that weekend was just so It's very silly obviously in the manner in which that it had to happen, and it just you know, I think given the circumstances and what we were all meant to deal with in the incredibly compressed amount of time, just everything, I don't know, you know, all things considered, I just don't know how it could have gone.
Speaker 1: You know, look, it was painful. There.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna say it was not pain It was definitely painful. Like there's no shortage of that. I just think, Uh, it's a testament to all of us that we were just able to like see it out the other side in a way that I don't know, from the outside looking in probably seemed pretty functional, you know, which is definitely an accomplishment for sure, But oh my god, I look back on that weekend and I'm just sort of like, what the fuck happened that?
Speaker 1: Even even just like being as tangently involved and that stuff as I was, it just felt insane that entire weekend totally.
Speaker 6: It's crazy. No, no, go ahead, No, you go ahead, you go ahead. I was going to say that. The last night, well, we were playing some sort of game in the hotel lobby and I can't remember what it was.
Speaker 3: Oh, we were playing Monopoly.
Speaker 1: Monopoly.
Speaker 5: Yes, I was watching David and Stacy playing Monopoly together and it was like really sweet the way that they were. It was weird just seeing your family amongst all the people of the industry that we know being so comfortable with it. It had like it felt like a actual like oh these people are family moments. It was cool.
Speaker 1: I actually had a lot of that with you guys. I remember, like just it was really cool getting to know Stacy as well. And I think I've said this to you before, Jeff, but there was a moment up in your hotel room where you know, like the last papers were getting signed and stuff, and it was like very exciting and I was like, I guess we're both business owners now, Jeff, and you were like yeah. And then I remember saying like, of course, you know, no one like just handed me mine and I just saw Stace in the corner and go like I just fell in love with her. From that moment, I was like, okay, she rules, like she's great, you know, funny.
Speaker 5: But yeah, we had that nice breakfast John, but was like really good breakfast that was so good, so good, freezing cold.
Speaker 1: Oh so cold, but we just got like really really good porridge in this place and it was our first opportunity to ever really like hang out, hanging out, and that was just just so so nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, John and I.
Speaker 2: Were first steak dinner. Because it was rating and it was we couldn't find anywhere to go, so we ended up in mortains. It's actually very nice. I've never been before.
Speaker 1: I remember that pretty friendly. Yeah, that was that was cool.
Speaker 2: Were the only people, the only people sat in that out the outdoor seating thing that they had closed off, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely hard not to feel like, I guess just a little bittersweet about how sure just the podcast in general is ending, because I think, like I think we would all prefer like an alternate reality where like it was easier and it was less complicated, but at the same time, like if I've kind of learned anything my time online is like everything ends, everything ends at some point, and I guess, like I'm glad that this is ending in a way that you know, the next time I see you guys at the con or whatever, it's going to be like exactly as exciting and uncomplicated, you know what I mean, because you do not always get that luxury and that fucking that really sucks, like that can lead to some really heartbreaking scenarios. And you know, even though like I wish we had gotten more of a tail and I wish this could have worked out another way, I am just really really glad that like we got to know each other what we did, and we got to spend all these just like hours having the most bullshit anime arguments, and I would not take that back for the world, you know. So yeah, man, m.
Speaker 2: It feels weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to end the podcast.
Speaker 1: It's hard to end the podcast. It's like there's always an element of it where it feels a bit a little like a breakup, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know it's it's because it's also like it's not a thing that you like, you know, definitely ended the podcast before, but like it's you know, people are like, oh, well, you know, like shows come to an end and that's what it is, and it's like, I don't know, it's just different. It's just different. You can't really put into words. It's just a different kind of thing.
Speaker 2: And it's like the right people, wrong time.
Speaker 3: That's okay, Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what about that fight scene on the train? It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Had a good time with that. Yeah, I really enjoyed that bit. I thought it was super cool. Although I think that if I was on a train and someone pulled out a gun, I would one hundred percent move a little quicker than most of the people did in that Secrets.
Speaker 3: Oh you were made newspaper, the bullet Come on, bro, He's like, h just another Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I've been on BOT in San Francisco. Nothing.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 3: I love all that I love like the world building and all like the weird transportation things and stuff like that, and it's like.
Speaker 1: It's fun. I don't think I ever I don't think I ever.
Speaker 3: Realized like what year it was supposed to be. And they kind of like tell you directly in this two year is it I was like twenty sixty something. It's like twenty sixty something or like twenty seventy, and I was like, oh, that's that's charitable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think when this was written that portray of the future was probably meant to be dystopian. Seems pretty rad from where I'm standing at this point. Seems okay, right, it seems like mostly.
Speaker 5: Okay spending this shit we got going on here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a shot in that train fight scene that have you ever seen a tam It's like a one to one of a couple of shots from Naruto.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, Basically it looks like the animator for the Naruto fight scene just kind of traced those poses and that timing and did it in Naruto. And there was a big controversy back in the day when it happened, well like a fan controversy, I guess, and people are like, this is bullshit. He traced those things, And then a rumor went around that it was the same animator. I've never seen that corroborated, but it's kind of the popular narrative. And then people started saying, well, no, it's a homage. And it started this. It didn't really start an interesting discussion. But I think like, at what point is something a rip off? And is what point something a homage?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting. I think if you're copying something, if you're copying, yeah, I don't have like all the context, but I do think if you're copying something frame by frame, that's an homage because you are you are you are looking to directly evoke the feeling from the original source.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes fear. See what you think? All right, we're gonna watch this in real time.
Speaker 5: Yes, I feel I feel like it's an homage.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be. Oh yeah, it's that's homage.
Speaker 1: I think someone wanted to save some time during it deadway you think it's you think, yeah, one hundred oh man.
Speaker 5: I I whenever I when I saw that and someone find out, I was like, oh that's really nice. That's cool.
Speaker 1: I think someone was like, a fuck, what am I gonna do for these shots? Wait?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this is this is literally seven seconds? Like why steal only seven seconds?
Speaker 1: Seven seconds? My friend? There's a lot of work at animation. No, I know, like several days. Uh, it's funny.
Speaker 3: The first comment in this reddit thread is well, I heard both of these were homage to a Bruce Lee fight.
Speaker 1: Also, which is also untrue. There's no shots from a Bruce Lee fight that are like this.
Speaker 5: But I mean the whole character is a Bruce Lee standing so mm hmi style. Yeah, but I saw it as an homage shot. That's cool and also like it was very at the time during the scene, I remember thinking, oh, that was a weird sequence, Like it didn't look like anything else that the show had done up until that point. I thought was when I realized it's because of this, maybe that's cool. I think like it's very much a matter of perspective. But yeah, I I respect your guy's opinion. I will rethink this. What makes it different from all the times that a anime or a show has done the Akira bike slide, It's pretty much the same thing, different characters.
Speaker 1: What's different. Here's what's different. If you just watch the Narrato bit, there is no way to know it's from Cowboy Beabup unless you are intimately familiar with that piece of animation. Like, it's not stating that that's what it is. When you watch the Akira bike slide, that moment is so iconic and so like famous that you instantly know it's the Akira bit yea. These three shots of Spike punching this person on the train outside this moment, and the fact that it's a nice piece of animation. There's nothing iconic about that in the same way it would be if someone did a like bang that would be different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess I could be like that animator for that animator. That sequence in Cowboy Bebop might be the reason he's animating right now, and it's like, you know this or their animating, I don't know what they're generated.
Speaker 1: That's the case. Totally fair enough, You've kin.
Speaker 5: It could be like I think, yeah, no one really loves this part of this. No one talks about this thing, but this is a sequence I It changed my life, and I'm going to take this opportunity to many years later, you know, tip my hat at to something that I really love.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm.
Speaker 5: I just I feel like you can approject from a cynical way and you can approject from a understanding way and both are probably equally as vibe because we'll never know the truth.
Speaker 1: Totally fair, totally fair.
Speaker 5: Yeah, before we end the podcast, there's one more thing that I think that we should do, and I want to present it to you John because as well Lucy, you'll know what it's from to a degree. But because are not doing any more jojo, there's one part of jojo, specifically a song that we will never get to see Jeff experience anymore.
Speaker 1: Do I have to?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sorry, go on.
Speaker 5: I was just suggesting maybe we could listen to that song together just to get like a live reaction of it. You know the song, John, Right, you know what I'm talking.
Speaker 1: About a couple of songs. I'm not sure it's.
Speaker 5: The Eleventorado song, the legendary the piano song man.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, okay, So it's just like that. Is this like the closing credits song? You know it's in chapter.
Speaker 5: We don't have what part is it that it comes on? H I think it's part five? Let me but there's it's a song that they introduce in in one of the parts, and it's just like it's the iconic Joe parts of songs Part five year is it start as Crusaders? I can't remember what it's called, but that part, but I think it's it's Journal's theme is what it is? Yeah, and every every member of the fandom knows it. It's like a five minute song and it's just like everyone loves it. So I don't know. I feel like we should listen to it and get Jeff's take on it, just because I was looking forward to when that song kicked in. Well, we were watching this part, but we'll never get to it now, so I would love to hear his take on it.
Speaker 4: Oh hell yeah.
Speaker 1: So this is in when.
Speaker 5: Part five who the character on screen is the main character Joanna?
Speaker 4: So good.
Speaker 1: God damn. It's very video game level.
Speaker 5: But I haven't even got to the best pit yet, which is the best part of it.
Speaker 3: Hm.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is a fighting game stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hm hmm.
Speaker 5: This is This is one of those songs that when I heard it, I was like, how did a human come up with this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, here we go?
Speaker 1: So good? Isn't it?
Speaker 5: Cold and Wind?
Speaker 1: And Jeff? This is the bit where Journal is like explaining the gap bad guy's plan to him. Yeah, like, ah, I see what you did there. I do miss that.
Speaker 3: I do miss like having schematics displayed in front of me. I miss finding out how many centimeters tall everyone is.
Speaker 2: It's just nice to know how toel everyone is buy some.
Speaker 1: This is sick. I think this is the piano bit might skip here time.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah.
Speaker 3: So this isn't a theme song. This is just in an episode.
Speaker 1: It comes up repeatedly.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is his like.
Speaker 5: Sherlock Mohms moment, whenever he does something that's wild.
Speaker 3: I've got it. This is like the sad Bastard music in Berserve's.
Speaker 2: Sad Bastard Music. Oh Dad you yeah, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ooh, this is sick.
Speaker 1: At this point, the enemy has probably been aura or it is floating into slow motion having their face rocked in.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is this is like top tier Jojo music out of the Gate.
Speaker 5: I in my all my times of watching anime, I think this is one of the best pieces of music in anime I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 5: Every meme that you watch from this point on towards around Jojo will have this song in it.
Speaker 1: So we stopped where we stopped at the end of part four.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I'm gonna keep me the next one. Are you gonna carry on?
Speaker 1: Right? I should right?
Speaker 3: Like I should absolutely keep going.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think, oh my god, Part five and like part five vend is good, like I like it but the anime, I feel like just the adaptation level just punches it up even further. And then Part six has its issues, but by the end of it it it. It hits very hard.
Speaker 3: So I forget now is it over?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: In fact, Part seven is just about to get it release okay, and Part nine I gotta keeping Part nine. The comic for Part nine has been has been in publication for about two years. I think now maybe a little less. I'm going to keep going.
Speaker 3: You have my word, you should listener, he continue.
Speaker 1: That's how the lineage will live on, Lucy Tim. If you guys were to recommend Jeff any animal.
Speaker 5: One more animal, one more anime.
Speaker 1: What would you leave him with?
Speaker 5: I feel like I could saddle him with anime for the rest of his life by just saying one.
Speaker 3: But I feel like that's the one thing that I can't embark on.
Speaker 5: So I would like to suggest an anime that you specifically watch with Stacy okay, because not because it's like a you know, husband wife anime or like a couple's anime, but just because I think that the first episode will capture her in a way where she'll want to keep coming back to know what's going on, and the anime is death Note.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, that's such a good entry point. At several times just suggest yeah, just.
Speaker 5: Sit down with Stacy and watch the first episode and then just see what happens, because I've never recommended that to anyone who's been like, yeah, I watch the first episode. It's fine. They've always been like, I want to watch one more, just to see what the fuck is going on. And it's not one of those things where it's like it's it's like confusing or hard to understand. It's the concept is so good that you're like, oh, I need to see how this plays out. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, I'm into it. I will do that Death note.
Speaker 2: Yep, i'd recommend I guess Man.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, chainsaw Man.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of family, you know, Spy Family to watch with Stakespy.
Speaker 5: Family is good. Yeah, and de as well, they were like.
Speaker 3: That Spy family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Spy Family is one with the family chainsaw Man's one. Okay, John, I.
Speaker 3: Give what you're throwing down there. Yeah, I ask you for a recommendation to John, but I feel like you've already done.
Speaker 1: You've done. I mean, I I got one and it's an obvious one. But I feel like at some point, if you're anime adjacent, you kind of just need to have an opinion on this, and it is, of course Neon Genesis Aaron Gillian, Yes, that might be. I. Yeah, I don't know that you'll like it, Jeff, but it's like my favorite ever.
Speaker 3: Whoa mm hmm, okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not my favorite ever, but it's one of those like defining of the medium series kind of things where.
Speaker 1: You're like an anime in so many ways. Yes, correct, But I would also Jeff, I if Lucy had not suggested to change some man, I probably would have because I deeply adore that show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can. Technically, I would say, like, if you wanted a vibe check on it, you can file it in the same category as One punch Man because it's that I would put like Danda Dan as well there, which I think he could probably enjoy with how stylistic is. But yeah, if you want something one punch Man esque, you can go for that. If you want something berserk esque, maybe Death Not because it's the darkness of it.
Speaker 2: Oh, if you want something that's very light and pleasant and like a nice little adventurous lamp imagine that delicious dungeon dungeon MESHI, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like, yeah, I thought it took a little while time, but when it does it yeah, yeah, that's very sweet.
Speaker 3: I also so thank you the three of you. Thank you all for your recommendations. I also want to thank everyone who has ever reached out and said, hey, you're going to dig this or you'll appreciate this now because you know about the thing in the show you watched, And obviously everyone who's contacted us and attended anything live or talked to spread the word and you give us a note or review, thank you from the bottom of our collective hearts. It's meant a lot, and this has been tremendous fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I just want to thank you guys. And you know, like I started, we started recording Jeff Jeff's not long after Let's Fight a Boss broke up and that was like a pretty lonely time for like a lot of reasons.
Speaker 7: And then.
Speaker 1: It really meant a lot, like having a kind of place to land for that and having like because like my job is it's very lonely, you know, like I don't talk to people very much, and I really really valued being able to just come in here and shoot the ship with the three of you, and I will really really like not to get corny. I will treasure those memories, you know, Like I really will. Hell yeah, I'm really really going to miss the ship out of it. But I also know that, like this isn't going to be the last time that I see you guys, or I work with you guys. You know, like I know that we're going to do other stuff at some point, and like I'm really really looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: Too, Right, I think I think that that's the best part. Right, It's just it's just the end of a chapter, right, that's all.
Speaker 2: That's all the end of, you know, right, the next time we get in new themes.
Speaker 3: It's an end of when one guid in closes another opens the saying as as it goes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, I just patrol want to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Just particularly want to thank you as well, Tim, because you were the first person like in this group that approached me and brought me into everything. And I have met so many people through that and I will never stop being appreciative of that, buddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think without Tim, there's just absolutely no show. Right, Well, why.
Speaker 1: Am I getting the acclaims for putting this together.
Speaker 5: You did, I don't know you.
Speaker 3: Were the jumping off guy. I definitely remember that, right.
Speaker 1: I remember getting an email from you and like turning around to Michelle and being like the lete editor of game Spot just emailing me, you know, like.
Speaker 5: I remember always wanting to do something with you that was a little more consistent and talk about anime, and I was like, how I think if it wasn't this, I would have figured out another way of just like bringing a few of us together. But this made the most sense, and I think at that time it was the right place, right hand, because we were looking for new ideas, especially for Giant Bomb, and everyone was receptive to the idea of bringing in a someone who you know, was a YouTuber that we had some awareness of and was we knew we would like. I think it was just like a a sure fire thing. It was like everyone's gonna love John and it will be fascinating, and I just worked out I don't remember in the idea to you, but I thought it was something that But honestly I thought John, you approached us about it. I cannot remember us approaching you about.
Speaker 2: Jean to do something that John had like three different ideas, and I remember one of them being a wrestling thing, and then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, yes, thank god we didn't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think you, Tim were the person who puts to me that like there to do something was space to do something, and then I brought the ideas. But without that initial invite, none of the yeah would.
Speaker 5: Have That's that's why I remember it's being like, hey, and that was me just being like I wanted selfishly, I just wanted to something with this person, So how can we make that happen? And this was it? So I used giant bomb just to get something I wanted.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think if I knew, I definitely knew who you were.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 5: I think I had recommended a bunch of his videos to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I had watched a lot.
Speaker 5: I think it was like one of the horror movie ones or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that that rings a bell. And then you know, I wish you would still do more, right, like I wish you would you know, pick up the camera again.
Speaker 1: Hey, I just just just put out an hour or two hour video. You get that you can chew on after a while.
Speaker 5: And also as your book. I got your book as well in the mail.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, really got the book?
Speaker 5: Is it came that that same day? That same day you messaged me. It came that day, luckily, and it fucking rules. It's such a good book and it's so nice as a coffee table book. So if you're out there and you want a little bit of super ipadchworf in your living room, one get this. The quality is well worth it. It's such a well made book, easy to read, loads of like visual stuff that you'll like note down and be like, I want to see more of this shit. This is crazy. How do you recommend?
Speaker 1: Thank you guys, tremendous.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know how do we do this? How did we just say like, okay, give us goodbye? Like I guess that's right, Like what.
Speaker 1: Do we do?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think that's how you say goodbye?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, this has been fun, Love you guys, been real.
Speaker 5: Good Bye.
Speaker 3: I'm not crying. You're crying.
Speaker 5: Keep watching anime until next time.
Speaker 2: See you, Space cowboy.
Speaker 4: All right,