Speaker 1: Welcome to Moving Conversations, a podcast for movement professionals, by movement professionals. If you coach, train, or teach movement, pilates or fitness, then this podcast is for you. With more than sixty years of experience and fitness and pilates, your host, Brian Ritchie and North Saint John explored to science of human movement, diving deep into the facts, myths, and common misconceptions, hoping to spark thought and conversation about how we view fitness and movement. Now let's jump into Moving Conversations and welcome back to Moving Conversations. I'm Brian Richie joining me. It's always it is norse, say John Morton, Nora.
Speaker 2: How you doing very well? Brian? It's uh, you know it was raining here yesterday, which is weird. Here in California, we always have a weather reporte you notice that at the beginning of things, I mean, Brian's coming back from China. I'm about to teach advance one of the principles here in Sacramento. It's raining. Life is granted. How about you.
Speaker 1: Let's say this the weather is always a safe topic. Where you are, you're going to have weather, so and being on up in the sides of the coast. It can be really really different. It's really interesting when they were saying, oh, this year we're going to have a real you know, and El Nino and all of this sort of thing, and I say, you know, I think in the nineties we started hearing that term pop up. I still don't know one hundred percent what that means. If it means it's going to be bad. If it's going to be good, there'll be some hurricanes. If it's going to be not so much. So I I never know, and I just am like, you know what, I want to just do the Washington DC weather window where I'm just going to look outside and it is what it is, and if it's raining, oh okay, if it's sunny, okay. I think Wednesday I was I needed to run an error and I was like, oh, it's supposed to be storming out there. I went out, had my had all the keeuron and everything went outside, not raining at all. So it's like, you know, I don't know, it's easier to look outside, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's accordingly what's happening. Okay, I'll deal with that. I mean, really exactly a little piece of information so you and my husband, for those who don't know, al had this whole thing about a cyber truck for a long time and Brian not a fan and kind of kept giving me some of some some little bit of grief about it. So Alice now bought a pickup truck F one fifty two thousand and eight pickup truck, just so you know. He's part of the pickup truck family that I know.
Speaker 1: You welcome, Welcome to the crowd. I'm dodging guy, but hey, I'll accept a ford.
Speaker 2: Anyway. So today, so today speaking of influence, Yes that was Brian. Brian was an influencer on that one. So we wanted to talk today a bit about just influencers and it particularly fitness and plot of influencers and what do you know what to be aware of, things to think about, just some some maybe maybe some dues and don'ts for some cautionary tales because it's gotten. It is the wild West out there, and some of it's and some of it's not, and it's a little hard to tell. Honestly. If it's well produced, it looks official.
Speaker 1: It looks official, and that's just it. I I'm gullible I'll be the first to admit I see something that looks really cool on social media. I'll be like, Ooh, that looks really cool, and I'll say, it doesn't cost that much, let me buy it. And I'd say about sixty percent of the time, I'm happy it works like it should I'm like, this is kind of cool. About forty percent of the time, What the what.
Speaker 2: What the heck am I doing? Why am I doing this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the biggest piece of junk. But it looks but the way they make it look is fascinating, you know, on on screen. And so I've gotten much better about just swiping away, you know, turning it off, not even looking at it. But where I came up with this years ago, probably a year and a half ago, maybe even two years ago, when we were first starting this podcast. This is a topic I wanted to talk about, and I say it like this, the difference between being an educator and an influencer, because I think there's a huge difference. There's a huge difference because there's a lot of people who, let's face it, people want to be where we are, who want to be thought of as an expert, who want to be thought of as the teacher who want to have all of the so quote unquote quote glory, thinking there's a lot of money and success and all of this with this, and there are some perks, but let me tell you, my bank account sure doesn't show a whole lot of perks when it comes to that. But at the same time, it's nice to be respected for what we do, no question.
Speaker 2: Right, right, absolutely, and I.
Speaker 1: Have I've had a number of younger people come up to me saying they want to teach with me, and they want to they want to do what I do and all of this. And a question that I always say, I say this every single time, is say what do you got to say? Yep, and they just say, what do you mean? I said, you have to have something to say that's worth saying. You can't just be regurgitating everything that's out there, or if you do, you can teach other people's stuff. There's not a problem with that. If you want to be in balanced body, you know, parlance, an educator and teach matt one, two, three, four and become and do that great teach that. You can still be a teacher, but there comes that next level where you're actually creating content and really going above and beyond and becoming that next level of educator, which I think requires a lot more skill and a lot more time in the saddle and experience, and I think those are things that can't just easily be done by I've been in the industry for one year and I should be teaching. I don't know about that, Brian.
Speaker 2: You kind of you hit at least one part of the nail on the head, right. I programmed plot Is on tours for years and years and years, and that was you know, created the program and did it in bodyline spirit. And so I've been in that game of conferences, which is one version of an influencer or a presenter. There's lots of other versions now, and it was really it was interesting to me because I had that conversation. I cannot tell you how many times people would come up, and even people who had a lot of experience would say, you know, I really want to be a presenter. And I'd say, what do you have to teach? And they would look at me and they'd say, well, what do you want me to teach? And I'd say, no, no, right, That's where if you want to be an educator, for like, like Bounce Body or Peak or whatever, like an an education program and they give you the curriculum. Fantastic, absolutely wonderful thing to do. Knock yourself out. There's a wonderful way for you to use your voice with other people's material. Like that's totally legitimate. But if you want to be a presenter at a conference, for example, or an independent educator of your own material of things that you're passionate about, that's a different thing. It takes skill, it takes experience, and honestly, it is a it's a lot of work. I would like to so. And this is one of those moments because I've recently had a conversation with somebody who's a good teacher, but who really was like, oh, I won't want to present. I want to present, And they wanted to show me some power points and this kind of thing. And I sort of looked at them and I said, have you ever done this before? Have you ever created a workshop? No? Okay, well I would not be likely to put you on at least in you know, in our world and the fitness world, a relatively large stage without you at least having taught this at your studio or something. And then and then it was like, I've just thought back on how many hours I've spent, and I know you have two creating power points and outlines and finding a plan and figuring out how I'm going to structure that in a way that makes sense. Like for that three hour workshop, you know, twenty hours a week of work, I mean twenty hours of work the first time, and then you always go back and edit and revise, and that's another few hours. And a lot of times those hours may you may not be sitting at the computer doing them. You may be reading something or listening to somebody else's lecture, or something else is coming in. That's a new information that you're trying to hone to be able to deliver. So it's just a really different process than people think.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: It's a whole lot more work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was in China, I was approached by a large company that owns several thousand gyms that wants me to teach my courses for them. Fantastic, no problem, And they never want to pay much. They just think, well, you're just sort to come in and you're only teaching for six hours a day or eight hours a day, so you should we should pay you for those eight hours. They say no, no, no, no, no no no. You're paying me I'm coming to China for me to come there, but you're also paying me for all the years of experience I have in creating this, all of the information that I've gathered from fifty seventy five hundred and five sources whatever it is, and filtered what I feel is important for whatever I'm teaching, and then use my experience based on all of those theories and seeing what really floats. And then a lot of it comes down to, oh, this is a different culture, okay, So for your culture, you really want to focus on this and this, Okay, So now I have to redesign the whole thing around that. So there's a lot more to it than people ever realize. And that's I think what's missing for a lot of people is they don't realize all the background that it takes to build that. Like you say, a three hour class, if it takes me twenty hours, that's small because, like you said on the plane just before the class, how many times have we spent And sometimes you're looking at it. I remember one of our best friends were teaching together at a conference and she comes up to me and she says, well, I haven't finished the power points yet. I said, you're teaching tomorrow. She said, yeah, Well I have this new theory and I'm not exactly sure how to make it work. I'm like, you're teaching tomorrow morning at seven am. Yeah, okay, let's talk this through. Let's get this theory out, because you've got all night to try and do this. And it was kind of funny that, and that's what you have to do. And sometimes it requires that when you do have a new train of thought or a new idea or a new concept, that's like, oh, oh, why don't we try this? Well, why don't we do that? And the creation process takes a long time. I had a employee who hadn't been with me for six months and she said, yeah, I'm going to be a teacher for BOSU. I was like, oh, okay, cool, Yeah, I'm gonna I'm going to go through the courses and I'm going to teach the other classes and then I'm going to be one of their top instructors. So you just got out of college when six months ago, Okay, you're going to be one of their top teachers. And I said, look, I know they're top teachers. I'm friends with these people. They're closer to my age than your age, a lot closer to my age, if not a little older than me. Said, I don't think you think it's going to be as easy as you think it is. This requires a lot more than just oh, I'm going to bounce around on this thing and teach, you know, teach the choreography that I learned from one class. And that's one reason why I wanted to sort of bring this up is to let people know that there is a lot that goes into it. And when you're talking about being an educator, I think it goes into a lot more detail. There's a lot more going into it, and I think most of it comes from your experience level, comes from your voice and your experiencesolutely And.
Speaker 2: So we're talking two different things here a little bit, and I wanted to make that distinction. One is there's the influencers, so I think of as the you know, minute and a half or minute on Instagram like here's a here's a fun new move or whatever, or watching on YouTube, watching influencers on YouTube, which is a little more detailed, often in depth, and think about you know, a bunch of fitness influences I've watched on YouTube who kind of have a plan or have an idea or have a viewpoint or promote supplements or whatever. And then there's and then there's educators who is more like what you and I do, and presenters and that kind of thing. So just there's a lot of different ways that this shows up in our world. Yeah, but all of it in the best, right, all the best versions of it have depth, have experience, have time in the saddle, And that's oftentimes what I'm looking for if I'm trying to identify a good presenter or legitimized like read through the bios of an instructor or of an influencer, like I want to know where they came from, what they've done, and what their experiences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Yeah. There. Every now and then I have clients who come in to see me and they say, I was on Instagram and I saw this, or my daughter introduced me to this person and they showed this one exercise, and I mean, how do I put this? A lot of influencers make their name and have several million followers because of how they look. That's one of the first things, it's they're young, they're attractive. I was listening to someone say I got one hundred and fifty thousand followers on my Instagram account, all this kind of stuff, and I looked at him and I said, you could be a model. Cool, right, But just because you film yourself doing exercises, I mean it's kind of like softcore. I mean literally, you're just watching people do take off their shirts and exercise, and I'm like, Okay, that's that's fine. If that's what you want to do, no problem with that. Where I come down with this is when someone is telling them, here's what you need to do to solve this problem. Here's what you need to do to make this work. You need to lose weight. So here's what you do.
Speaker 2: Here's the three things you need to do here, or here's four exercises to solve this. Here's all those things, right, here's the six exercises for this, here's the five foods you need to eat to change your life, whatever, all those which have been around forever, right, the like, here's.
Speaker 1: Do it exactly. I was one popped up on my feet and it was one of these suggestions on who to follow sort of thing, and I literally just like, okay, what's this say? And it's her from the backside. She has a very attractive backside by the way her doing the stair climber or the step mill. Yeah, I'm all right, I know I know what's getting people's attention here, But okay, what's she trying to say? And it said at this speed and it shows her doing it, you're going to stay fat at this speed, you're going to be skinny fat, and at this speed you're going to be burning fat. And I'm looking at it to say, Okay, the only fat that I'm looking is in her head because I'm not seeing a lot of science here. I'm not seeing anything being explained except for you know, you know, do it faster, do it slower? Do this? Do that. I'm thinking, hmm, okay, how about actually And I tried to even look in the try to you know, read underneath. Maybe she explains herself in the thread. No nothing, And I said, Okay, you're going for showing us one of your best assets, obviously, uh, and maybe that's going to give some people to like you and to follow you. Good for you. However, what's coming out of your mouth is really not what I would want my clients to listen to. I wouldn't want my children to listen to, or my wife to listen to. And yes, occasionally they send me stuff, you know, and say is this correct, and I'll be like, yeah, no, I'm sorry, but it's not. And I'm not going to say that everything out there has to be scientifically based, because there are lots of hypotheses out there that have just never been tested. But I think you and I both know that when we see someone teaching a class as a presenter or something and the only data they have are, well, my clients see this result, Well my client or I had this one client who had had this happen, It's like you had one one result. Okay, I don't think that one result is scientific proof. Yet I'm not going to say in everything needs to be validated with double blind research. However, an anecdotal evidence on a single person is not the reason that I should be listening to this information either.
Speaker 2: And I think once you bring up there, which I think is interesting, and you know, you and I are educators, we're old, we work hard, we take ourselves seriously, and we have a honestly, for both of us a huge body of work that we have developed to try to bring information into the fitness and the movement and the plots world in a way that helps other teachers to be able to absorb it, digest it, and apply it. Right, I mean, that's that's what we've done. That's kind of been our mission in life, and that is I mean again, it's a diable missions. That's why we're doing what we're doing. But there is part of today that is not interested in time, not interested in skill, not interested in expertise. And you know, to some extent, like if somebody wants to make a their gorgeous looking and then want to make a minute and a half video or a minute video high production values and them doing something that looks marvelous, fantastic, And again, if that's the deal. If I'm doing something to show off how beautifully I do this because I'm a beautiful person, that's whatever that is, Like, enjoy that, like as you said, you know, enjoy the assets in front of you or whatever you're doing that's great. That's not education. It may be inspiration, it may be entertainment, but just understand kind of that difference between is this actually teaching me something. Is this giving me information I need? Or is this just fun? And again, they can be both, or they can be either, or they can be neither. But just understand what you're looking at and what you're getting out of it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, I always look at these people and I do break it down to a couple of different things. An influencer is usually going to be and I'm not saying that there aren't educators who are not attractive. They normally are, but they're usually going to be people who could be models. They're going to be showing off a lot more skin than necessarily, you know, I would feel comfortable doing. They would be, you know, again, touting their body and that sort of thing. And what the problem that I have with that is when you're asking other people to try and do what you're doing. And I think you and I have talked about this because in the world of plates, we see a lot of people who are going to put style over substance when it comes to things online. And there are a lot of companies that do that with their marketing now where they're hiring not necessarily the best plates instructors to teach something online, they're hiring the best looking people in the best looking models, and you watch them do the exercises, and even the basic exercises look wrong and they're being instructed wrong, and then they'll show something really crazy way out, far out. I was watching this woman do a modified pull up on a trap table Cadillac. Yeah, okay, putting her feet behind her so her back was arched like you wouldn't believe, in the straps elevated at okay. I was just watching her trying to get into the getting into the position. To me, that was the most impressive part because of how she had to contort her body and everything and then climb up in different ways just to do a simple pull up. Of course, my brain is always breaking down to the easiest thing. Isn't there an easier way to do that?
Speaker 2: You want to get that right? If the purpose of that is this, do I need to go through these all these contortions. Isn't where to make that happen? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Exactly, And in looking at her doing it, I said, Okay, she's going to get followers from this. She's going to get people's attention because she's doing something crazy, and you know, all of this kind of stuff. I said, Okay, if that's what makes her happy. Go forward. I worry about the beginning plates instructor or the beginning fitness instructor who watches this, who we meet imediately start saying, oh, this is what I should be doing too, because it looks cool. And we've all I think everybody who's taken a bosu class or a ball class, and then back from some of the amazing teachers that we've had, like I bring up Douglas Brooks. The stuff he can do on a bosu blows my mind. But he also trains the US Olympic schep us A snowboarding team. So guess what. For those people, it's all it's appropriate. It's not appropriate for a sixty seven year old, you know, grandmother to maybe be jumping from bosu to bosu to bosu. It might be if that's your gig, go for it. However, I do see people who immediately watch that because I see it at the gym. They're watching something and say, oh, I gotta try this. I'm like, oh no, no, no, please no, And it's just injury waiting to happen.
Speaker 2: One of the things that this is sort of a funny moment we talked about AI a few weeks ago, just as a general topic, and we were sitting in the car one day and we I think it was Claude or somebody we're gonna test. I think it was Grock. We basically said, groc, who are the most famous people in pilates right now? And they came up with five names that were all influencers that I'd never heard of, like you know, which isn't surprising and not a big social media prison, but it was just really interesting and I was like, huh. So then I looked up those people and you know, they all had a big Instagram following a big and all they were doing was essentially showing off super advanced moves on the apparatus and really no explanation, no no education piece. It was fun to watch, right, So that's that's the thing. And it was interesting because they were the most famous people in pilates, but they weren't teaching anything. They were they may have been inspirational. Again, they may have been inspirational. They it may have been fun. They may have been getting somebody's creative you is flowing a bit, but it was just interesting, like, oh, that's that's what's most That's what's happening now?
Speaker 1: Right? And for me, for me, my eighteen year old, he's fairly inflexible. Okay, do I want him to actually learn from someone who can teach him how to stretch? Or do I want him to go to a carnival watch the contortionist and say I should be doing that.
Speaker 2: I think this gets to something we talk about I think a lot which is just critical thinking. Yeah, you know, and it's like it's okay if you're just enjoying something, but if you try to put your to your point. You know, seventy two year old jumping from bosu to bosu and she's got ostioporosis, Probably not the best choice, you know. And so it's also just like understanding, yes, these are interesting things, what's the purpose of it? What I always almost want to do when I see those little clips, it's just youright and go, why are you doing this? Like what's what's the point? And the point can be it felt good or it was fun. I'm not saying that's an illegitimate point. That's fine, right, that's fine, But I'm kind of more interested in in why and who and when and how would I apply this in a way that would actually make a difference in somebody's life in the long term, just because that's my perspective, you know, as an educator and as a teacher this method for a billion years. That's what I'm more interested in, is how can I make a difference in somebody's life, And that means teaching the same old thing that doesn't look so exciting on Instagram, but teaches them the skills they need to then be able to lift their kids up, run faster, bicycle longer, whatever is they want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was in China just a couple of weeks ago teaching these courses. Now, I do social media in China through Red Note so, but I don't look at it very much. I don't speak Chinese, so I have someone who does it for me because it's just easier they do. They translate all my stuff. It's great and got a decent following there. Well. People in the class started asking me questions based on popular influencers.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: These influencers there are really there's not much filter. And when I say filter, I'm talking a mental filter because they're talking about things that are only now you and I both know Asian beauty standards are very very strict and very high. They're taking so super very specific and they take are taken very seriously. So these are influencers talking about for fitness, how to correct your neck to make it have a better curve, because if you have a better curve in this way, it makes you look better. And there were a lot of weird, wacky things that they're asking me questions, what are you trying to correct here? I said, first of all, you've already got a fairly straight spine because you're Asian and compared to Caucasian spine where we have a little bit more curvature. To us, I said, that's just genetic. We're we have more curve in that regard. You have a little less. Nothing wrong with that. And they were really saying, oh, I have to do this, So they were forcing themselves to be more more head forward protraction trying and they're getting these headaches because they're really compressing the uppermost portion of their cervical vertebrae. And I just said, you know, no, no, please don't do that, Please please don't do that. And I'm trying to show them how to do other things if they want to look a little different here and there, and I'm thinking it just there can be a lot of danger, is what I'm saying, especially if you're looking at things from point of view of here's what I should look like because this person's body is perfect, and they say, if I do this, I'm going to look like them, which is that's an issue.
Speaker 2: Always the challenge, right, I mean, vanity driven fitness is always a challenge because there is such a strong genetic component to your structure es, you know. I mean I think about Chinese contortionists, right, You're like they're they're lying down, they're prone, and they can basically turn their head up to look at the ceiling and touch their toes with their hands behind it. Right, I'm thinking, Okay, so if that's your goal, and maybe it is, if you had your body or my body, that is never going to happen in this lifetime.
Speaker 1: I'll be attraction for a week.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. No, I don't want to think about it. But you know, even for me, like when I turned I think it was twenty five or twenty six, for some reason, I realized, huh, I'm never going to be five 't ten and I'm never going to be blonde, which which is a funny way of saying, this is the body that I have, This is the structure that I have. This is what I can do with it or what I Maybe I don't know what I can't do with it, but I did at that point it some things I could not do with it. And that's that's what it is, and it's I mean, there's just something destructive always about trying to be something that you're not going ever to be. And not that you can't keep striving for being better at whatever you are, but it's like that, Yeah, those Asian beauty standards are really intense, and I spent a lot of time in Korea, and they're even more intense in Korea than they're in China. And it's just like, you know, that's just destructive. It is trying to be somebody you're not, especially when you can't get there and can't even get closed, and are going to spend your life being unsatisfied because you can't get to that thing. I mean, that's not a happy life. That doesn't make you feel better about yourself or anything that you're.
Speaker 1: Doing right right now we're looking at especially in Asia, there's a lot of people and I find this in South America as well, where we're seeing this travel medicine. We're seeing people travel for plastic surgery. We see that a lot in Korea. In fact, I was staying in a hotel across the street from a place that that's pretty much all this building did, and I was watching people come out looking wrapped up like you know, the old nineteen sixties mummies, and I literally thought it was a hospital, in an emergency type hospital, because everybody had these head bandages and all this kind of stuff. And I thought, oh my gosh, what accident. And then they said, oh no, no, no, no, no, they just had a little work done. What do you mean a little work done? That's a lot of work. I remember teaching a course at Palates on tour in Korea, and we were doing some exercises and including a lot of thorascic rotation, which they're usually much better at that I am. But this one person couldn't move very well. And I was watching her young gorgeous of Asian beauty standards. She was hitting nine out of ten of all of things. I was thinking, Okay, what's going on? And I asked my interpreter, I said, are you seeing what I'm seeing with her movements, and she said yes. She said that she had breast augmentation about a year ago. She has so much scar tissues she can't actually turn through her thoracic anymore. I don't know how it was done. I'm not asking those kind of questions. But she was so afraid to move. She looked good, but she was robotic. She could barely move. And it really made me think, Wow, what are we doing to our bodies injecting all of these things. You're seeing all these you know, they see it on TV. They see it, especially now with social media. They want that Brazilian butt whatever, Bazilian butt lift, or they want this, or they want that. It's like, okay, if you want to if you want to do something like that, do your research first. Don't just jump in and know it's going to cost a lot and that they're going to probably be some consequences that you're unaware of in the long run, especially when it comes to your fossil suit, because they have to cut into you and they have to do some things. I recently had surgery and guess what, my fossil suit has more holes in it than it did before, and it had a bunch before, so it's kind of like, Okay, I just I'm probably gonna move a little differently than I did in the past. That's okay. I understand this mine was emergency, But when you're doing it in a situation like this and they're expecting to come out quote unquote perfect, I think that's I think those expectations have to be you know, tampered down a little bit and just brought down just a hair because perfection, like you said, genetics are gonna be what will get you the closest and if you want to find tune. That's one thing. I've had some people who lost twenty pounds or whatnot, you know, got down to a body fat that looked incredible and it's wow, you look fantastic, but they still weren't perfect in their mind because they didn't look like whoever they were looking at. Ye, even though they looked fantastic, they you know, they would be considered you know, perfect by a lot of other people. And that's that's dangerous.
Speaker 2: This is this is a whole topic we did. I did not think we were going to go into today. So yeah, okay, we're out in there. No, No, I'm just it's it's one of the issues certainly with influencer culture as a general thing, especially in fitness, is exactly that as it somebody sees. And this is true with fitness forever. You know, you see somebody who looks a certain way, and you think, I want to look like that person, so I'm going to do that thing. I mean, Pilate's for years was the thing that didn't really build bulk but made long, lean muscles. Well, it's kind of true. But again, what's your body type. Do you build long, lean muscles or do you build little bulky muscles, because that's your body type, that's your genetics. Yeah, and again I don't know. This is me. I'm old. I don't care anymore in the sense of I want bodies to work well. I want people to be able to move with ease and with grace and with comfort. And that is my goal. And that's my goal as an educator, that's my goal. As a presenter, that's my goal. I don't care whether you're forty pounds overweight, or you have no hamstring flexibility, or you're seventy five years old. I don't care. I want you, whoever you are, to be able to move better. And that is maybe even more lost in this day of Instagram and Facebook and all these people out there saying this is you know, you can be like me if you just do these crazy whatever these crazy things are. It's just honestly, it's disturbing to me. I just think, I don't know, think people should be a little more comfortable with who they are and figure it out and do the best they can to be the best person they can be. There's my philosophy at the moment.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, And I'm right with you. I you know my story. I really did not have the optimum body for so many years, being multiple hundreds of pounds overweight, and fought with it like crazy, and you know what, I still work at it every single day. And it's one of those things that you just you realize that you're in my mind, perfection is never an ending. It's like, you know, enjoy the journey, not the destination, because I don't think there is a destination. Because as my body ages, well, guess what my goals a change. I would love to look like a certain way, but guess what my genetics is going to limit it to a certain amount. And now that I'm much older than I am. I just want to move better. I want to be able to get up and down off the floor, not hurt myself when I do something silly, you know, like trip and fall or whatever it is. I want to perform better in life. So your goals are going to continue to change. We still have vanity. I joke all the time that clients come in and all they want to do get out of pain, and as soon as the pain starts going away, suddenly Vanity comes out to play. So it's now I want to I want to I want to get rid of underneath my arm, and I want to reduce my second chin and things like that. It's like, oh right, and I knew it's coming. I knew it's coming because you know, I could see the you know, I could see it. But at the same time, it's like, okay, let's maximize what you have. Let's take a look at what your genetics are. And we're planning to do a GOLP one update in a couple of weeks. And with gop ones of having a lot of clients coming in and their bodies are changing, it's great, but now you know they may be looking at things about influencers and whatnot, and I have to remind them, you're sixty, you're fifty five. Maybe some of those goals aren't as realistic as maybe you think they are. Let's talk about real reality. And I think when we have people who are influencers, who people are listening to, it's sometimes our job to remind them, hey, guess what. Let's set up some clear expectations of what can we do and work toward those goals, and if we exceed them, fantastic. But I'm not going to set up really outrageous expectations that I'm never going to let them see, because then they're only going to be disappointed in working with me.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly. So I want to say a little something else too, because again, I was watching a bunch of influencers over this period of time because our I never going to this topic was coming up. And one other thing, like I was watching on YouTube and there's a fitness influence on there who really focuses on supplements and that's kind of his thing. So he does a lot of nutrition stuff and a lot of others. And one of the things that I really realized after watching a few of them, and it took a few because he always says, here's a study, and you look at this, and studies legitimate on a certain micro nutrient that makes like some kind of difference in something, right, And then I realized, like every single one of his things was sponsored by whoever made that particular supplement, and at some point, if you followed him for a period of time and took all of his supplements, it would probably cost you four thousand dollars a month, and god knows it would be doing you any good. So that's the other thing too, is people promoting products, promoting certain methods, promote prowning certain equipment. And then it's also what are their goals? Like what are their goals and what are your goals? And are they a match? Yes? Because also just something to think.
Speaker 1: About, Well, twenty years ago, thirty years ago, whatever it was when people started doing a little bit more of this influencer culture we're talking, we're talking at the beginning of like MySpace and Facebook and all of that sort of thing. People wanted to get known and they would start outing something like their system or let's say the infomercial that was really popular, you know, Susan Powder Billy blanks, all of these type of things. And some of those things were fine, some of them were fine, and a lot of them were bs. But you always have to ask yourself, why are they doing this? For the most part, it's a financial gain. Yeah, And when it comes down to financial gain, that's one of those things that always makes me a little leery. I remember who was it. I can't remember his name right now, not doctor Phil, but the other one that was on TV. That's the guy he was touting all of these supplements that were such bs. Now, I'm gonna say this, in working in radio and a little bit of television, but mostly radio for a number of years, it's hard to fill the hours you're doing a weekly show. It's hard to fill the hours. I get it totally, yes, absolutely, But to be saying you need to go out and buy this elderberry, you know cream, because it's going to make all the wrinkles on your butt go away, Okay, And then they start saying, here's all this documented proof, and here's the inventor of this, and here's this, And all I'm thinking is, really, is this what it's come down to, This is snake oil. That's all it really was. And then it was proven that he was getting kickbacks or whatnot, you know, sponsorship deals from all these different companies. When there's a financial gained this to all of this, you have to really watch out. Yeah, you know. I it's one of those things that you see and I've seen a lot of podcasters. I've seen a lot of influencers who will have sponsored things and at least now they will say us sponsorship somewhere in the on the screen.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they don't. There's they're supposed to. I mean they always do, because I've seen sometimes when they clearly didn't. But yeah, they're supposed to say, like I am sponsored by so and so, which always is like red flag for me. Just and maybe that's fine and maybe totally legitimate and they're sponsored by them because they actually use that product and like it. But it's also just like okay, no know where the money is? Oh yeah, because podcasters and and and YouTube people particularly, they get all their money from sponsorships or from Patreon or from something like that, right, but a lot of it's from sponsorships. So they're directly dependent on that, you know, different than even uh commercial television or whatever, where you know, the actors are paid to be they're doing that thing, right, they're not and and yes, advertising pays for a lot of that, but indirectly. If these guys are directly paid by the advertisers to do their job, and that's that's just an important thing to think about always, is where's the money.
Speaker 1: I can say, I can let you know. And I haven't even told you about this very much, but I'll let everyone who's listening no little backstory of what's going on in the podcasting world. We don't have the most largest following in the world. We're movement professionals. We have a small niche. But I can't tell you how many emails I get per week asking us to be brand ambassadors for lines of clothing, for this, for that, all sorts of things, and saying we would love to have you represent our line. I just delete them all because, you know what, it's crap. The first couple, I'll be honest, the first time someone said they want to sponsor, Hey, hey, all right, this might be cool. I'm getting somewhere, getting somewhere alright, and I, you know, click on something, and I thought, oh my no, I really don't think I'm gonna look good in booty shorts. I just don't think that's gonna look good on my body. Sorry to say, I'm beyond the booty short era saying me, you know you knew you in life, but I know for me, that's not probably the look I'm going to go for when I'm at the gym and I laugh at some of these things, I'm like, wow, Okay, they really are just hitting hitting everybody. They don't care who they're asking. And that's what a lot of these are doing. And let's face it, if that's your income, if that's the only way you're making money, you're going to take a lot of those deals and you're going to start touting things you don't necessarily believe in. And I think you and I said a long time ago, nope, that's we have no interest in that. That's not what we do. We have our beliefs, and a lot of podcasters do and some influencers do. But I think once you start getting money involved, I think decisions are made differently. And I can tell you a story about this. It happened to me. Okay, I worked for a gym and I was doing nutritional consulting. Okay, was I going a little outside of my scope for practice, probably my degrees in casiology. But I did a ton of nutritional research as a minor and whatnot, so I understood it. And one of the things was we needed to sell supplements. And at first it was like, okay, I just wanted to sort of make my minimum quota. I was only I was giving only the basics, just the basics that would make my boss happy, so that no one would yell at me. Okay, like a vitamin, multi vitamin. Okay, everybody can use a multi vitamin for the most part. Okay, it's not gonna hurt you. But I got promoted, I got sent to a different gym where I was the only person doing this. So I got ten percent of all sales of supplements, and within six or eight weeks, I realized my numbers were going up and I was making suggestions that I probably never would have made before. Now this is twenty years ago, thirty years ago, whatever it was. I mean, this was back in I mean new it was in the nineteen hundreds. It was a long time ago. So but it's because I was seeing a substantial increase. Thousands of dollars a month was coming into my pocket, and as a college student, I was like, Wow, this is awesome until I made some suggestions. This is when a Fedra Mahong all of these, you know, things for metabolic enhancement were very popular. I made a suggestion to someone who had some medical conditions that I didn't know about, and she ended up being taken to the hospital. Now she took too much. I said, you know, follow the instructions. Only you know it says take one in the morning, one in the afternoon. That's it, okay, all this she wanted to lose weight faster, so she doubled the dose. She called me from her she worked at ad bank. She said, I'm lying on the floor and my heart rates one hundred and fifty. I said, you better get in now. I said, ambulance. Now, don't be called calling me. Call an ambulance exactly. And that was my wake up call. And that moment I realized, oh my gosh, Now was it considered safe to take because it was a supplement. Sure, I did not know her medical backstory. She never mentioned any of that to me. I had no idea, but I still took responsibility. I made sure she was doing okay, and I apologized profusely. I probably. I'm sure the gym I was working for wish I hadn't, And she never held me responsible. She said, yeah, I was just taking too much. I was just taking more than I should because I read it in a magazine and you know, I had it anyway, so I was taking And I said yeah. But after that, I really changed my ways and I didn't stay with that job for very much longer because I was made and it made me uncomfortable for the decisions I made. And over the years, I've had a number of people come to me and say, why don't you sell supplements in your gym? I say, because as soon as the dollars become involved and I'm making money on it, I'm going to probably make some suggestions based on that unconsciously that will make me lose lose faith in myself and lose some respect. So if I like something, I'll say, you can order it through here, you can order it on Amazon. You can do that. Said, I don't need to sell it because I don't like the way that makes me feel.
Speaker 2: That is such a good story, Brian. With all the things that we're talking about, what's the reward? How do you do it, How do you manage that? How do you know, how do you personally and me personally stay clean with what we're offering to people, making sure we stay on one side of the line, which is really keeping their best interests at heart. Yeah, they pass money, that's good, they should, That's an important thing. But for the skill that we have making sure that we're giving them good value for what we're doing, and that we're not necessarily motivated by that right selling them something because we know we're going to get a good kickback off of it, even if it's not necessarily well, you know, they could probably use that, it's probably not going to do many harm. I'm going to just picture the thinking that can go on in your head. Or and it's sixty bucks a bottle, and that means I'm going to get six dollars and I do that with every client I'm seeing this week, and you know, I've got enough money to pay for gas or whatever. It is. Right, that thinking is so insidious, and you see that all over podcasting and YouTube for sure. That's that's where a lot of that is driven.
Speaker 1: By absolutely absolutely, and that's why it's always just made me uncomfortable I see too many podcasters do that, and I see too many influencers and YouTubers and things like that. Now, if I have something that i'm selling of my own that I believe in, there's a couple of I'm sure all of you know woodworking, and I love music stuff. So I'll be watching someone who you know is a guitar teacher and he'll have a guitar book talking about, oh, you know, train your ear better to listen. Okay, he believes in this, and it's helped him and his students, and it's usually for a decent price. So I'm like, good, he wrote it. Great, I have a book. I'd have no problem selling my stuff because I believe in it. Because I wrote it, I believe in it, and if I didn't, then I shouldn't have written it in the first place. But when it does get sticky, when you are representing another company that you don't know, you don't know all the research behind it necessarily, and if money is the only reason you're doing it, I think that's where we really get sticky.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Agreed. Huh. So, giving this conversation has really been wide ranging, I have to say kind of like like bring it and bring it a little bit somewhere. And where I want to bring it into is if you're listening to this from a number of different perspectives. So, first of all, if you are a client or an instructor and you're looking at influencers, because we all do, whether it's on Instagram, talk or TikTok or whatever it is, YouTube, whatever you got, and even us for that matter, honestly as podcasters, you know, just looking with a critical eye, really finding those that speak to you, being aware of your view worldview biases a bit and what those are, and just you know, knowing that those you're going to bring those with you to those experiences. And if you're interested in becoming an influencer or being a presenter or doing that, I'm going to be very old fashion here and I'm going to say do the work, yes, And what i mean by that is educate yourself as best you can. Learn everything you can, take courses from people you admire and respect to have you know your in the field, and then really work with clients. If you're working with clients twenty thirty hours a week for years after years after years, and you're paying attention, and those are not always happening, and you're paying attention, you'll learn something. You'll learn something from every single person that goes by. And that's for me, certainly, what has fed my passion and my interests is just observing people over time, over time, over time, seeing what works, seeing what doesn't, seeing all the weird little things that go into making somebody better or not, and then honing your skills of how do I then communicate that, how do I communicate it to clients, how do I communicate it to other teachers, and then how do I communicate it to an audience if I'm doing a podcast, or I'm presenting, or I'm a YouTuber or I'm at a conference, And those are all really important skills. You know, arn, learn the stuff, practice the stuff, and then practice how you articulate the stuff to put it in like a pretty simple simple formula, and then practice, you know, then practice like I don't know how many at one time. At one point, at one point, it was just trying to figure out how many courses I'd taught, and I think at this point I was just looking at anatomy in three D classes that I taught im and to add them all up because I'm a Jingham for I don't know, I'm fifteen years something. It was like seventy classes, Like I've taught this course seventy times or something like. That's ridiculous. And that was only one of the many, many, many classes that I've taught over the many years. And that also came to me when I was when I work with new presenters, because they think that they have those skills automatically, they think they have your skills, they think they have my skills because they do everybody projects onto whoever they're looking at. Oh that I could do that, Maybe you can, but you got to try, you got to work it, you got to practice, and then you've got to be self cryptical, right, and then over time you get better, hopefully if you continue doing it and you understand how to be more effective and you take feedback and you move forward. But it's it's you know, it just it's a skill building, long term process to get good at anything, but to get good at those kinds of things, really understanding what you have to say and saying well, that takes time and practice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we're talking about that a couple of days ago. There are some teachers out there who understand the information, know it like the back of their hand, but they're not very good teachers. They're good regurgitators, but they're not really good teachers. I say, there's more to it than just talking the words. There's something, there's an entertainment value. There has to be something that gets people to listen to you, to draw them in. How you use your voice, how you use your body, how you use everything doing years of You and I both did years of things like acting. You did dance, I did stand up comedy, did radio and television. There's something to be said about having those skills as well when you go into other things. Because we can, we can tap from those and make it a lot more fun for the people who are listening to us. We can feel a room and know when it's dying down. We know how to dial it up and turn our volume up without turning our volume up, how to amplify ourselves. All of these are skills that you build in time. And it's not just saying the words on a paper. You can listen to ten people give the same speech and only one of them really hits. Everyone else is just sort of going through the motions, and it's a real skill that takes time to build. Something that I'm going to remind people about influencer culture is when you see something, ask yourself a couple of questions. Number One, if they're saying this, you have to do this, you have to do this, this is does it make sense? Simple? Does this ring true in your heart? Because there have been many times I've sat in classrooms when I'm watching someone else talk and they're entertaining, they're a good speaker, they've got the skills to talk, but what they're saying doesn't make sense. My brain is just thinking there's something missing here. And I'm not saying they all screw loose. I'm just saying it doesn't make sense from my perspective, a movement point of view, kneasy, a logic, anatomics, something's not making sense. And sometimes what that makes me do is see two or three of their classes and think, Okay, maybe I'm the one missing something, Maybe I'm the one who's not smart enough, or I can't hear what they're trying to say yet. And I'd say that's only happened once that I took a bunch of courses and finally it hit and I went oh there's something to this, all right, I wasn't ready to hear it at the beginning. Ninety Nine percent of the time i'd say, if it's not ringing true it's there, it's probably not true and there's something missing. So I'm gonna say that, ask yourself, does it make sense? And number two is does it look safe? Yeah, when you see someone doing Yeah, when you see someone doing something. Just because you can do it at age twenty five doesn't mean that I can do at age fifty five, or that she can do it at age seventy five, or he can do it at age forty five or whatever it is. It doesn't mean it's safe for everybody. And you have to really ask yourself does it look safe for the person that I'm working with, because I think we've all hurt people in our careers, you know, especially when we were baby trainers baby pilate's instructors. We probably did things that we were like, well, I probably shouldn't have done that, but we learned it was many many, many years ago. But if it doesn't look safe, there's probably a reason that something inside of you is like, maybe I shouldn't be doing that. So sometimes I think you got to listen to your gut on all of these.
Speaker 2: I also to add one little piece on that, which is in plates specifically, there are people using the equipment in ways that are not safe for the equipment. It's just not designed to hold weight in that way. It's not designed to be moved in that particular fashion. Resistance is coming from a funny angle. There's a lot of that happening out there with people just not understanding physics, mechanics and how things work and don't work. So that's another thing too, is there's the physical safety of the person. Is also is that going to break something? Is that yes, designed for that particular weird move that's happening right now. So those are another way of another opportunity for safety is just being aware of what the machine can and can't and should and shouldn't do.
Speaker 1: I remember when I first got I think I first I got a Cadillac sorry trap table and one of the spring, the yellow spring. I was thinking, huh, I wonder if I can do this move? And it was sort of a chopping motion. And let's just say I put that spring to a range of motion that it was not designed to do. I tried to make it a cable, and at the end of it, it became a cable because it stretched all the way. I mean it literally stretched out to the point that it was no longer like a spring anymore. It was twice as long as when I first saw it. I said, oops, I guess that's not supposed to do that. But again, you.
Speaker 2: Do it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm a strong enough person, I guess. And it was a yellow, it was a light. It was a light guy. But I mean it was one of those things that I was like, huh, I wonder if I can do this, And I was like, oh, I guess not. So you're absolutely right. Some things are not meant for that. Find another piece of equipment. You don't have to make everything work on every piece of equipment. So I made that mistake in my life. I'll be the first to admit it.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Well we have we have. We have wandered here and there, we have talked about it, We've talked about being an influencer, some cautionary tales, things to be aware of. You know, hopefully this has been enlightening in some ways, or interesting in some ways, or maybe even inspiring in some ways. If you guys really want to move up in your career and become somebody who's got a little more influence in the world. We wish you good luck on that, and you know, reach out to us if you want any help or advice on that. I think we've got plenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, the best way to do that is through our Gmail. Hit us up Moving Convos at gmail dot com. It's the easiest way to get in touch with us. You can also do it through Instagram. Moving Convos is our handle there. Nor and I also have our private ones. You can check that out in the show notes and yeah, also YouTube under my name Brian Ritchie. We have a lot of things this episode will post there, so if you ever just want to watch us. We're kind of animated more so than we are vocally, so I mean my hands and bodies always moving around. So you can always check us out live and live and in color there. Check out our shorts, hit that like and subscribe button. We really appreciate it every time you do. It helps us out a lot. We're not doing this for the money, as we said, We're doing this basically to spread the joy of movement and whatnot. So until next week from North Saint John and Brian Richie. We'll see you then.
Speaker 2: Bye, guys,