Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBS, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: More the great segue. Did you notice how that broadcast, that journalist, that professional, was able to segue from the last sports story to the program that's now with you. My name is Dan Ray, and this is Nightside. Welcome in everybody. Good news for the Red Sox tonight they have a night off so they can lick their wounds and get ready for Tampa Bay tomorrow. Nights. I'll give you a little bit of sports as well. Anyway, we will be here, we being myself and Rob Brooks. He's about I don't know, one hundred miles away from me. I would guess Rob as the crow flies, he's in Medford, Massachusetts, at the broadcast house, and he's the producer of this program. By the way, for those of you who are interested in what we're going to be talking about tonight, at nine o'clock tonight, we're going to talk about the death of that state police cadet. What a horrible, horrible story. If you haven't heard about it, stick with us at nine o'clock. I want to hear there has to be some some people have to be responsible for what happened. To this young twenty five year old man from Worcester. Then later on we will talk at beginning at ten o'clock about the second assassination attempt against the life of former President Donald Trump. It's it's not an apparent attempt. I think it's an assassination attempt, whether you get a shot off or not. But we'll talk about all of that later. But we have four very interesting guests here in the eight o'clock hour and what we call the night Side News Update, And we're going to start off with Rachel Robine. Rachel, help me, is it Robine or Robin.
Speaker 3: Rubine?
Speaker 4: So the friend line.
Speaker 2: Rubine, okay, so we can get rid of that. Oh, Rubine Rubine.
Speaker 4: You got it?
Speaker 2: Okay? And you were with the Washington Post. And more labels are coming to our favorite foods. I thought we had warning labels. But what's going on with the Food and Drug Administration? Rachel?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the Food and Drug Administration is planning to propose labeling this fall, which means it would just be our proposal. It would not be finalized, but kind of the first step on putting labels on the front of food and drink packages. So the idea from SDA officials is to help Americans make healthier choices to address obesity rates. So now what the labels would be supposed to do? Again, we have not yet seen the proposal, but there were focus groups that tested potential labels, and they're supposed to flag products containing high levels of sudium, saturated fat, or added sugar. So these common features of ultra process foods that now make up more than half the calories Americans consume each day.
Speaker 2: You know, I understand it, and it sounds like a great idea, But I get I'm going to ask you this question, and I know you're a reporter, so I can leave it as a rhetorical question. But how stupid does our government, whether it's a Democrat or Republican government, think we the American people are? Haven't we figured out that ring dings taste really good, but they're probably not something you should eat at every meal. I hate to sound cynical, but I know they still have the warning labels on cigarettes. Is there anyone in America that doesn't know that cigarettes are bad for you?
Speaker 4: I can tell you a little bit about what those who are.
Speaker 2: I'm just amazed at the extent that which the government will try to explain to us what is patently obvious. Go ahead on.
Speaker 4: Sorry, right, I can tell you a little bit about what both you know, what are reporting shows that both the supporters and the opponents say, there's there are other countries that have done these kind of labels. Now they're they're a little bit different, Chile being one of the countries that has kind of the most what nutrition experts say is the most kind of nutrient, the most ambitious efforts here, and what they do in Chile is they have like black octagons and canto stock signs on food tig and calories, saturate, fat, sodium, or sugar. There's been some research that shows that these kind of easy to understand warnings are kind of most effective and helping certain consumers quickly identify and healthy products. Now, if you tach to the food industry, uh, they've sort of been pushing back against the labels. They you know, say that they're too and they question the essays authority to do these labels. And the food industry prefers a voluntary labeling system that it helped create in two thousand and eleven, which essentially food companies can sort of choose whether or not to showcase this information such as Kellerie Town or fiber on the front of packages.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's funny. I very much believe in the concept of a voluntary speed limit. So I'm going to criticize the companies. Now. It'd be like, if you want to go one hundred and five miles an hour and you feel you're safe, go right ahead, you know. I mean, it's crazy. I can understand why the companies would do this. Maybe what they should do is put like a I don't know, some sort of a symbol on everything that's in the store, say a black star, and if it's a ten, that's really really bad for you. If it's a one, or maybe the opposite, people might be confused. If it's a ten, it's really really healthy. If it's a one, Now you don't want to talk. There's just something in me, do you. I do read labels on food I buy. I mean, when I buy my Oriole cookies, I know what's on the label. But I like Oriole cookies, okay. But when I go to buy you know, my lettuce and celery and carrots and cucumbers and all of that good stuff, I know what the good stuff is, do you? I don't know. I guess. I guess there's always some government person out there who's coming up with an idea. I'll bet you you're a label reader of the stuff you.
Speaker 4: Buy, correct, I mean I think the I think what researchers want or what the idea of.
Speaker 5: This is is.
Speaker 4: You know, there's been some focus groups of mothers in Chile that should the labels improve their ability to make better nutritional choices for their families. So I guess the idea being that it's kind of right there on the front. But again, I can both sides.
Speaker 2: I got another. I got another idea. Why don't we hire a federal employee who would be posted in every aisle of every supermarket in America And when people go to reach for Oreo cookies like I do, they could be there and put our hand and say do you really want those Oo cookies? And you have to really say yes, I really want the Oreo cookies or they won't let you take the oil cookies. I don't know, Rachel, I don't know. We used to go to Mortz Supermarket where I grew up, this little little little corner of Boston, and you know, it's will come a long way. I just think we should have government bureaucrats in every aisle of every supermarket. Oh, the price of food might go up, but we'll eat more healthy. I don't know, Rachel, I'm sorry. I just I almost think this is funny. I know you take it more seriously. I was a reporter one time, too, and I had to walk the straight and narrow, and you have done it brilliantly. Even though I've tried my best to make you smile, I have failed miserably. But I thank you nonetheless for telling us the story straight down the middle. You did a great job.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: We'd love to have you again. And I want to follow this because I'm gonna do I'm gonna this is going to be a subject on my show later on this week, and then I'm really gonna get wild. Thanks Rachel, Say had all my pails at the Washington Post.
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks, have a good one.
Speaker 2: You too, all right, which is a really good spot, very good sport. Now we're gonna go from being a good sport to blind spots. When medicine gets it wrong and what it means for our health, that's probably not good. Doctor Marty McCarey, health expert at Johns Hopkins University, will join us right after the break. I'm going to ask doctor McCarey about this. I think he's gonna be probably more on my side. We'll see, We will see coming back on night Side right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: With me is doctor Marty McCarey. He's a health expert at Johns Hopkins University. Doctor McCarey has been a guest in this program before. Before we talk about when medicine gets it wrong and what it means for our health. I know you'll be thrilled to know. I was just talking with a really nice reporter from the Washington Post who is explaining to me how the federal government is going to put more warning labels on all of our favorite foods. I want to go one step further, doctor McCarey. I think we need a federal employee in every food aisle, in every American supermarket to tell us what to buy and what not to buy. The government knows no bounds. How are you to nice?
Speaker 5: Good to be with you, Dan, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: I was the reporter, was straight down the middle, and I just thought to myself, they have all stuff labels on food. Now I don't know, Well, I'm a bit of a libertarian.
Speaker 5: You probably know they're labeling things that are not even central to health. Like they're labeling how much saturated fat is in food. Well, saturated fat's not bad for you. That was government misinformation from the food pyramid. So I don't know if they're helping or hurting.
Speaker 2: I still like the idea of a government, a federal government employee kind of in a uniform, you know, and march up and down the aisles and tell people don't buy that, don't buy that. You know, I mean, ah, so tell us when medicine gets it wrong, and sometimes they do get it wrong, what it means for our health.
Speaker 5: So in medicine we have giant blind spots, and we're not talking about these big issues central to health, the root causes of our chronic disease epidemic. We just don't talk about them. But there's a big scientific body of evidence. And so I present those big topics to people in this new book. Blind Spots, the microbiome, gut health, how it affects mental illness and mood, are poisoned food supply, the pesticides and seed oils. People need to be educated about the truth on everything from hormone replacement therapy at the time of metopause, which has been terribly demonized despite its tremendous health benefits, to how to prevent everything from peanut allergies and to care answer. There's a lot of good information out there people need to know about.
Speaker 2: Well. Look, I've been a big fan of yours for a long time because you have always been willing to stand up for what you believe in. Obviously, your background to Johns Hopkins speaks for speaks for itself. This book is entitled blind Spots, When Medicine gets it Wrong and what it means for your health. My understanding is this book is available beginning tomorrow. The timing here could not be more perfect correct.
Speaker 5: That's why it comes out tomorrow, and it's already it already just hit the number two best selling book in America on Amazon. So hopefully we won't run out in bookstores. But it comes out tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Well, if only we would run out, they would have to have more printed. So one of the things here you address is peenod allergies. Now I've always been confused by that. There's I guess there are some kids who have peena analogies. Is that true?
Speaker 5: Yes, peenadalergies are real and they're fairly common, but not in Africa or parts of Europe or Southeast Asia. And it's not because their genes are different. What happened is in the United States twenty four years ago, the medical establishment, in its sort of hubris.
Speaker 2: Or infinitism or is infinite wisdom.
Speaker 5: Infinite wisdom, they told parents. They ordered parents to avoid all peanut butter for kids ages zero through three, no peanut products, and that abstinence created immune sensitivities. They got it perfectly backwards for fifteen years and it was just recently corrected.
Speaker 2: So by having kids not have peanut butter and sandwiches and jelly sandwiches with you and I probably grew up on, these little kids never developed an immunity to whatever problem that might be. And that's why we have so many kids today who have peena analogies. I assume you're going to.
Speaker 5: Tell us, yeah, and it's the old theory and it you know. What happened was once they ignited this peanut allergy epidemic in the year two thousand with this bad recommendation. Then all these kids had such sensitivities they had to avoid all peanut products in their homes and sometimes in the schools. And then other kids did not get early peanut exposure, and it became this perpetual cycle. It became a self licking ice cream cone. And here we are today where peanut allergies dominate our pediatric clinics. And this is a major health problem that by and large was ignited by medical dogmat just like opioids were not addictive for thirty years. Igniting the opioid epidemic and the food pyramid was healthy for you, igniting the modern day obesey epidemic. We don't have a good track record when we don't use good scientific evidence to make these broad recommendation.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised that they're still passing out and maybe on some airlines they're not passing out penits anymore. But whenever I see them passing out penuts on an airplane, I'm thinking to myself, what happens if how does this happen? Within medicine. Look, there's no more rigorous education, in my opinion, that anyone can be subjected to. They're going to medical school. You know, if you can figure out organic chemistry, you're a better a lot smarter than me, and a lot smarter than even fairly intelligent Americans. Why is it hubris? Is it hubris that someone comes up with a theory and they work to sort of like conclusionary analysis. They work to find the information which will support the theory that they want to espouse. Is that sort of a conclusionary analysis? Is that? Is that the trap they fall into.
Speaker 5: It's really the hubris of a small group of doctors at the top who control role the medical establishment, who write the curriculum for every medical school in the country. It's not the rank and file health professional. Doctors are smart people, Nurses, physician assistance. Everyone I know who's in healthcare is a good person. But what we've done to American health professionals is a tragedy. We've told them to put their head down and focus on billing and coding in these short visits they throw medic people and then we measure these doctors by their throughput. And guess what, when you stop and look up and look around, we're doing terrible as a country. We are so sick, we're going backwards. Half of our nation's kids are obese or overweight. Pediatricians would rarely see a case of type two diabetes, and the children in a child in their entire career. Now it's like one in three kids that is born today will develop type two diabetes, and about fifteen percent we'll have those signs in childhood. Autism's going up by fourteen percent every year for the last twenty three years. And in my field of pancreatic cancer rates have doubled. Cancer rates have doubled in the last two decades. What is going on here? We have got to stop just this whack a mole hammer approach. We've done a terrible thing to doctors. We have not given them the time or resources to look at the root causes. And we've got to look in our blind spots and address I had.
Speaker 2: An incredible doctor. I had an incredible doctor for about thirty five years, and he said almost everything you just said to me, how it became just a burden to try to practice medicine. You were basically an accountant and an amana whences, and a record keeper, and it just kind of overwhelmed him, and he was a great doctor. Can I ask you one of the question off topic, because I truly believe this. We need more meta schools in America. Too many young smart kids getting out of college who can handle organic chemistry have to go offshore offshore to get their medical degree. Am I right or wrong on that in your opinion?
Speaker 5: Well, right now, we do need more doctors, but we also need them in rural areas and taken care of foreign minority communities. And right now a lot of the doctors stay in the cities and they all want to be you know, dermatologists and orthopedic surgeons. We've got to take care of the whole person. We worship and glorify sub specialists, and I'm not trashing them. I am one of them. I am very highly specialized in pancreous surgery. But we have the most over medicated population in the history of the world. More medical care is not the solution. We've got to look at these the root causes. Our food supply has been poisoned. We have engineered highly active ingredients and additives. Some of these ingredients have been banned in Europe and but we still use them here. And we have seed oils that are not even natural, they're just byproducts of manufacturing and denaturing, and they're really chemicals we're cooking with. And we've got pesticides that if they kill pests, what do you think they're doing to the gut micro the bacteria. So we're messing up our gut health.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you this. This book. People need to get it if if you're a single, if you have a family, if you're a grandparent, if you're a parent. Blind Spots When Medicine gets it Wrong and what it means for our health. Doctor Marty McCarey. He's a brilliant, brilliant doctor uh and also a brilliant writer and is now he's a New York Times bestselling author Blind Spots When Medicine Gets It Wrong, What it Means for your health. Check it out tonight on Amazon. Get it before they're gone. Doctor McCarey has always I so appreciate every time you come on night Side. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Great to be with you, Dan, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Let'll talk so okay, when we get back, we're going to change topics and we're going to talk about with him with a guest, who's going to tell us that Parrington parenting having kids can be hazardous to your health. This should be an interesting conversation right after the news break at the bottom of the.
Speaker 1: Hour night Side with Dan Ray. I'm Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, want to welcome Carly Church. There's a surgeon general's warning. This sounds pretty bizarre, but I'm sure Carly is going to explain it. Parenting may be hazardous to your health. Carly is a working mom with three kids that's a full time job, founder of a mastermind group for women called We Got Your Mama. Carly. Welcome to Nightside. How are you?
Speaker 3: I am great? Thank you so much for having me. It's about time, right, I think it's about time that we made this known, made this nationally known, and really focused on.
Speaker 2: Maybe hazardous to your health, But for me, as the parent of two kids, it's the most important and fulfilling thing I've ever done in my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it can be both. I think I often in life, some of the most challenging things tend to be the most rewarding, right you know, Carley, I.
Speaker 2: Worked in television for thirty one years before I started doing this radio show. In two thousand and seven, and for eleven of those years I worked the early morning shift. I would get up at three point fifteen in the morning, three o'clock in the morning, and I would have been on a hockey rink at ten o'clock the night before, teaching kids to skate or to hockey, and I would those are the eleven best years of my life. So tell us what's going on. When the phrase hazardous to your health, that's a pretty strong phrase.
Speaker 3: It is a strong phrase, and I think they're really recognizing that this mental health issue that we are facing, and it's you know, is beyond this day and age. And the majority of them are parents that are really struggling with their mental health and they're finding this huge rise in children and in teens, and it's something they've never seen before, right, So what are we linking it to?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: What are we finding out? So all these studies are out right, I mean, the previous certain general warnings are are about teams, are about social media, are about screen time and all the sort of things, you know, So we're just really linking those all together. And parents, you know, they are in charge of.
Speaker 2: The what is the solution if there is one or is this simply an opportunity to recognize reality.
Speaker 3: I think it's I mean, I think it's okay. I think the call to action needs to be where can I find the support and really really really searching for that support, something that resonates with you. I think majority of parents, I mean, there's studies out there quarter of them are feeling beyond lonely. I mean, I mean I live in Los Angeles, California, and I was like, I would like to maybe feel a little bit more separation from the massive amounts of people here. But at the same time, I completely resonate with that. After giving birth and struggling, you know, with raising kids, we can feel really lonely. So getting out of our comfort zone and connecting with other parents is key. And that's what I do in my business. It's connecting parents to each other, connecting them to experts, getting them to help they need that they didn't think that they had.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: I was in a class this morning, speaking to speaking to a bunch of women. There's about fifty people there in the class, and I was talking to some of them afterwards, and she was like, this is all new for me. I haven't had to like, go out and connect with other moms and bring my baby because I used to going back to work. Childcare prices have versen twenty six percent PLF decade, and so she's like, I can't actually afford childcare and to go back to work. Yet we're still making it, receiving some of that that pay cut, right, that is detrimental. She's like, I don't know if I can join your membership because I don't know if I can afford it, because I haven't been in this position before. So they're having to choose, which is depressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me throw a challenging question at you, kind of a two question. Back in the so called good old days, which weren't necessarily a good old days for a lot of people, we had these kind of extended families living in communities, so there was a grandma and a grandpa, maybe there were two sets of grandmas and grandpa's, and the people had kind of a family built around them. Now we become much more mobile, So we grow up in Boston, but we live in La or we grew up in la and we live in Miami, and we get disconnected from the aunts and the uncles and the relatives. I wonder how much of this problem is around people I kind of imagine want to be to live in LA. I live in Boston, and Boston drives me crazy if I have to drive anywhere. Okay, I can't imagine what it must do to you in LA. Particularly if you've got one kid going to a soccer game and someone else going to a basketball game or whatever. It's small.
Speaker 3: They just came up with uber teens, and I was like, brilliant, I need that in my life.
Speaker 4: Can I for it?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure, but I need someone else starting my kid around because I have three against two.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying is a lot of a lot of the complaints here. It seems to me you're from folks who are living in the big city. There's a lot of people who live in small town America. It's easier to live in a smaller community and to get to know people more. I have friends of mine who live in Boston or who live in other cities, and they live in a big building, but they don't know anyone else in the big building. Do we need to kind of turn our lives around a little bit, you know, and say, hey, maybe LA and Boston are they're great if you're in the movies, or if you're media, or if you're a Red Sox player. But maybe people got to think about smaller towns. I don't know. Am I crazy when I suggest that?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I just spent a week in Texas right at different events, and I was able to visit some different friends, and I couldn't help but start looking online for houses and asking all my friends if we're ready to all live in a you know, our own form of compound in a neighborhood and create our own community. Because all of one hundred percent, every single one of them are on board, and we're at this point we're like, I don't think we're kidding anymore. Used to be a joke, right, and now we're like, actually, we're beyond burnt out and we can't do this. We can't do this alone anymore. It's become too difficult.
Speaker 2: I took a friend of mine to dinner last night. My wife had gone back to Boston. We're down the Cape. A friend of mine to this really neat restaurant that was two miles from where we live that I just got introduced to it about two weeks ago. This guy's lived for forty two years down on the Cape, he had never gone to that restaurant. You know, we all of us need to kind of branch out a little bit more and maybe just extend our our group of friends and rely more in our family. I don't know. I guess I'm at base to somebody who who can often thinks about the good old days, and I don't want. I know that there was a lot of tough stuff in the good old days, domestic abuse and all of that, But why can't we get rid of, you know, get rid of the bad stuff, but kind of rekindle that spirit, that community spirit that I think did exist more, you know, forty or fifty years ago. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what that is. If it's trust issues, Like it's a big thing in LA for people to not know their neighbors. And I'm like, if you're worried, it should almost be more of a reason too good to know your neighbors, because if you don't know.
Speaker 4: Them, you don't know.
Speaker 3: Or a bad person. So why don't we assume the best and assume that they're great, you know, and then reach out to them? And I mean, I I finally did that mind we just moved you off the street and around the corner, and they have a kid, you know, my my youngest daughter's age, and you're able to like swap. And my thirteen year old is now baby seating for them and making a little extra cash, and she's getting a break like she's needed, a mental like break. And it's all connection, and it's getting enough courage sometimes for someone that's just step outside and get out of our comfort zone and make that connection, and we're all better for it.
Speaker 2: Carl, you and I should work on a book together. Your point of view, my point. If you merge them here, I think it would be a big success. The book is the group is called we Got You Mama. What's the website?
Speaker 3: We awesome, Yes, it's we Got You Mama dot com. And we have you know, we have lots of support other What I do is I support moms in every age and stage of motherhood and we link mom's to mom mom's experts and every season about every quarter, we put together a whole show and so we have you know, twenty to twenty five experts, a series of interviews, and then we do Q and a's about every other month where people can come on and really be connected to all these experts. My goal is to keep us all connected, even globally. Once you're a mother, with your parent, your parent for life, right and so whether that's learning how to parent your adult child or you know, when you're in the throes of postpartum recovery, there's a space for that. Even if you're not ready to step outside and reach out to a community, that you can find some spaces online to really really get that help and support you need.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. We have so much online connections and with so much disconnected because we spend so much time in front of our computers. Calling church. I enjoyed this very much. I'd love to have you back. I think we could do a whole hour on this sometime we made. It's true with phone calls Carly in nin ten o'clock or eleven o'clock hours.
Speaker 5: Okay, sure, I love that absolutely, La for you.
Speaker 2: It's like dinner time. So we'll work any time. Thanks God.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna go Drew us some dinner together for my kids. I don't know what that is yet, but you know we're gonna sit down and connect. Do that high count.
Speaker 2: Well, the most important thing you do is at dinner with your kids.
Speaker 5: Yeah, every Sunday.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you.
Speaker 5: That if you if you have.
Speaker 2: The ability to do that or the opportunity. Yeah, thank you very much for car Church. We got your Mama dot Com. We're coming back on Nightside. We're gonna talk about something we all can agree on. The Red Sox. Alex Spear of the Boston Globe. Tough weekend in the Bronx, but they're still alive. So you say we got a chance, Yes, we do. It might be one in a million, but we still have a chance. Back with Alex Spear on night Side right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nights Sight Studios. I'm doing Bzy News Radio.
Speaker 2: Delighted to be joined by a great sports report, the Boston Globe. Alex Spear, Hey, Alex, welcome to Night Side. How are you.
Speaker 5: I'm great, Thanks so much for having me. Dan.
Speaker 2: Well, you're one of the best, I mean, your Globe sports reporter. I've read your work. I've seen your ballparks, you know, not the major league ballparks, but minor league ballparks. The Red Sox right now are a five hundred baseball team. They have been that for most of the year, but their hopes are still alive. It's like dumber, dumber, Jim Carrey says, you mean, I got a chance? What do they have? They have to literally, they got twelve games left. If they don't go ten and two, it's there's no way they're going to make this. Would you agree?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that it's, you know, at best a long shot, but it requires them certainly sweeping the Twins when when Minnesota visits Boston next weekend, and then winning nearly every other game that they play outside of that, with maybe a couple of exceptions, as you know, because not only are the Red Sox trying to run down the Twins at this point with a pretty sizeable gap there of four and a half games between them and Minnesota, but also the Tigers have kind of streaked by the Red Sox at this point as well, and they're playing They've been outstanding in the second half, as good as any team in the American League and since the All Star break, and the Tigers have the good fortune of finishing their season against the worst team in baseball, arguably the worst team in baseball history, in the Chicago White Sox unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And I still remember that four game series in Chicago. I think it was late June when when the best the Red Sox could do was a split against a really pathetic baseball team. What do they need to do next year? I mean, I hate to think about next year. Well we always will think about next year. But you know, I think Cassis is going to be fine. I mean, you know, Duran has exceeded all expectations. A bray You's done very very well. I don't know if O'Neill's going to be here. You got a bray you. You have Devers at third wongs, very very pleasant surprise. Some of the people in the bullpen, they're respected. I like this guy Fits. I mean, what do they need? Two big time starters, that's what they really need. Would you agree or do you have to look somewhere else? I know they complain about defense, but defense can be fixed.
Speaker 5: I think we can't take for granted how easy it is to fix defense. But there is nonetheless a pathway for significant, significant improvement. If Trevor Story can stay on the field, which is a big if, and then the players that are coming behind him, there are the Red Sox have players in Triple A in both Marcella Meyer, who's a shortstop, in Christian Campbell, who can play all over the field, but whose best position is probably second base right now. Those guys would be candidates to help shore up the team in two different directions. They need they need standout players. They don't just need to kind of fill holes. They need to they need to find guys who can kind of raise the entire raise both the ceiling and the floor of what they want the team to be. So I think at least one kind of top of the rotation starting pitcher is long overdue for the Red Sox, who have been content for a number of years. Ever since the Chrissale trade, they've mostly been content to acquire mid rotation guys or less. I think that, you know, especially if you look past you know, aside from Nativaldi, who was re signed right after the twenty eighteen World Series, most of the guys have been kind of more back end caliber starters, whether or not they need to. I mean, you can obviously look at the team as it's currently constructed and say that, but I think that, you know, they get Lucas Giolito, back or Garrett Whitlock back next year to complement the group of Brian be o'tanner, houck In, Cutter Crawford. That's a pretty good inventory, a pretty good starting point that gives them. Not only that gives them kind of and you also mentioned Richard Fitz quality depth candidates. Again, this is about adding to the top and giving them giving themselves a chance to have a guy who can lead the rotation. And then on top of that, they need right handed power that was missing at many times this year. And that's even with Tyler O'Neill, who's already exceeded thirty home runs this season. He's a free agent, as you point out, so especially if he departs in a place like Fenway Park, where you have the ability to kind of just loft a fly ball and have it reached the monster seats, they would do very well to think about ways that they can add right handed power, and that might mean trading some of the very promising young left handed hitters that they have, whether that be a trade for pitchers or for right handed bats. But yeah, I think that overall they kind of need to aim a little bit higher than where they've been.
Speaker 2: Well, they already did that. When they traded a Red Sox prospect for the picture from the Pirates, who has languished at a triple A.
Speaker 5: I thought I would I would dispute that assessment. He's actually he's actually shown some pretty promising signs of improvement. But I would still characterize that's Quinn Priest who's been in triple A, and I would say that he's someone who kind of slots into that more rotation depth mold.
Speaker 2: Rather than know I was saying, was I was hoping that he would get a shot, you know, because at this point there, I mean, I'm surprised. I was very I think what Fits has done in his two starts, and again that's small sample size, great, but I thought that they would give this this fellow for the Pirates chance, And wouldn't it be great if we get Chris Saale back. People will be weeping and moaning when sales become it's the cy young in the National League.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's a pretty extraordinary turn of events. And obviously I think that, you know, at the time of the trade, everyone said, well, you know, he was so unreliable that it made sense for the Red Sox to look, you're dealing with him, so I write and instead this year he's taken the ball every time and he is going to just he's probably unanimously win the National League so young, and look, I think that there are two separate things there. Right giving up Chris Sale, you can understand where the Red Sox were coming from in terms of the decision to trade him and not let me trade him, but pay the majority of his contra contract for this season to Atlanta. But I think that the wound from that is amplified by the fact that Von Grissom, who is the player they got back for Sale, he really did nothing this year and he's he's shown some promising flashes this month as the Triple A season winds down, But the fact that that the Red Sox are looking for promising signs from him in Triple as the season winds down kind of underscores the problem there.
Speaker 2: You know, alex As always talk baseball, and I love talking baseball with you with you do such a great job. We've gone into the newscast, so I have to apologize to my producer, but thanks so much for being with us. Will love to have you back. When Sale is named the nominee the younger woman, probably sometime in mid November.
Speaker 5: Okay, sounds good, look forward to it.
Speaker 2: Thanks Alex, I have a great one. Sorry everybody. I love baseball. Let's go to the news