Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Jeff Jeffs Bizarre Adventure Podcast. We're on a side mission, a guide in of sorts. We just finished another series of Berserk and we figured we'd.
Speaker 2: Step up the the education of Jojo. Sorry, we just finished.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just finished another series of Jojo and we figured we'd step up the education for Jeff Bakala, who's on a journey.
Speaker 3: To I think ready. I'm gonna say it. I think he's ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're ready for a big one, you know. A We've given you a bunch of Jojo. We had one punch man.
Speaker 3: I've been how long have we been doing this podcast?
Speaker 2: Fifteen years? Yeah, a long time, like three four?
Speaker 3: Maybe it's not four. It couldn't be four, could three? Couldn't I think it's three.
Speaker 2: Three years, three seams, three seams.
Speaker 4: Right about it when Tam and I was still in the UK, which was two.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh my lord.
Speaker 5: Well it's a good thing anime has been around for that long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anime is perennial. You're not You're not getting rid of anime easy.
Speaker 3: So it's it's takes it's taken three or four years to get Jeff up to the point where we feel feel like he's ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did one punch Man. What else did we do? Cowboy Bebop? Those are the and that's the ones that. Yeah, those are the ones that kind of like they have an almost similar thematic or mood wise, tone wise similar vibe. So we decided to go a little bit different and head over to the one of the legendary animes.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna blue Sky post that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, friends, we're almost at the I'm sorry to interrupt, we almost at the three year anniversary of the official start of Jeff Jeff's we don't.
Speaker 2: Have any merchandise. What's going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: I don't know how that works. It just sort of shows up at the store. It's simply not But thank you for assuming it is, Lucy.
Speaker 2: I'll figure it out.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Mister rickyked me was the Blue Sky equivalent of a time.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying ski because it has beside me. I, Lucy, buddy, I don't know about that one.
Speaker 4: Does Does that have a meaning that? I need to look at what dictionary?
Speaker 2: You should know what that is.
Speaker 4: But mister post did to all of us. Just finished the latest episode of Jeff Jeff's and tears started flowing as soon as I heard the music. Sorry, Jeff, your friends don't love you, and you're gonna have to carry that hurt.
Speaker 5: This is a foreboding, really really upsetting a message about the future. I don't feel good about it.
Speaker 2: Jeff.
Speaker 3: Let me let me tell you. There is nothing for voting or upsetting in this show.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, I don't believe you. I've already seen stuff that.
Speaker 2: Has feel good.
Speaker 3: What do you know about this is about? Oh?
Speaker 5: Oh good question, Lucy, Thank you for asking it. I don't know jack shit about Berserk. No idea like I was assuming it's like a modern day story and the first inclinations like, no, this is like a castle thing like I had no idea.
Speaker 2: My favorite era, the era the castle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like a medieval kind of like adjacent horses and shit. I had no idea what to expect going in. All I knew was that it's all I All I know I will say is that at some point I'm going to have to face like numerous deeply disturbing themes and depictions of violence, is what I'm sort.
Speaker 3: Of like, remember any of any of that. I don't.
Speaker 5: I feel like I mean like, if the gore and the blood is what it is in these first two episodes, I'm gonna be fine because it's very like tastefully cut.
Speaker 2: Around, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Jeff, look, I'll say it to you right now. It never gets worse than that for real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's pretty much I can. Oh, I could watch this. I could watch this on a plane. This is fine.
Speaker 3: This is I'm call the whole family in and just enjoy.
Speaker 2: We gonna, we're gonna, We're gonna push back on that a little bit.
Speaker 5: I don't think I'm gonna bring in Dibbs and everyone to watch Berserk the anime.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Also I wouldn't, Stacy, maybe, but you would.
Speaker 5: You know what, Sometimes you got to let things go. And I think for my wife, my wife, and as far as the anime inclusion is concerned, folks.
Speaker 2: I think that I think that ship is sailed. I don't think it took me.
Speaker 3: It took me ten years before I got my wife into an anime.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I'm about a third of the way through that expedition, so we'll see, all right.
Speaker 4: I'm just excited for you, Jeff.
Speaker 2: So you've seen this, Lucy, you've seen all of.
Speaker 4: What I've read it.
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 3: And Lucy, me and Lucy have talked about berserk tattoos.
Speaker 4: So you have a tattoo you right?
Speaker 3: I forgot, Yeah, I have one on my leg.
Speaker 5: You read the book adaptation of the anime?
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: The other way around, Jeff. So they wait, I see, I see a little smirk because he.
Speaker 2: Even I knew that. Come on, I love the anime expert around.
Speaker 4: The for for everyone listening to all the friends, fans and family at home. Whenever Jeff is doing like a little bit and he gets this smirk. He also grabs his microphone and pulls it. And I've brought this up, wed, he like pulls it into his mouth like this, he like braces.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to. Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the reasons. One of the reasons I think people, and I've said this before, I think people think we're being meaner to Jeff than we are is they can't see the look of utter delight on his face whenever we take the piss out of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. I can't get enough of it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, now that's not quite where I was going, but you know, speak of truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we're going to be doing the nineteen ninety seven adaptation of ken Tara Mura's masterpiecek rest in Peace. Ken Tara Mura died fairly recently, oh yes, before finishing his his master work on his magnum opus unfortunately, but a lot of already brilliant material available, and it's uh, it's going to be a journey for you, Jeff, a very normal journey. I'm gonna throw it over to John, who is going to take us through this episode.
Speaker 3: So guys, first of all, I just want to say that it's been a little bit since we recorded. It's fantastic to be here.
Speaker 1: I didn't introduce anyone. We're here with John a superpach Wolf.
Speaker 3: I've never been more excited to be here.
Speaker 2: Tom, fantastic.
Speaker 1: We've also got caretaker of Peanut and jelly Bean, Lucy James.
Speaker 4: Hello. Yeah, Jellybean just fully stuck her ass in my face. Start as we've need to go on. Very excited to video of zik.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sorry that I'm sick and I sound like a nerdy. Actually I read the manga and I did watch the anime.
Speaker 2: At least not like a Tory. At the same time, we also have one Jeff Baclaw.
Speaker 5: Hey, everyone, this is great to be here. Thank you for doing another season of Jeff.
Speaker 2: Jeff's just with Me. Hmmm, good over to you, John.
Speaker 3: Hey, yes, okay to continue that, I just want to say, it's been a little bit since we recorded Life was Happening. I was at MAGFest and a bunch of other stuff. Guys, what do you think was the predominant cosplay at MAGFest? I want to say, which is always like such an interesting like temperature check for like, what is the thing right now?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 4: Dengi from Chainsaw Man?
Speaker 3: Oh no, that that that was like two years ago. Dan to Don was not as like it was popular, but not as popular as I would have taught.
Speaker 2: It's going to be like it's going to be from like.
Speaker 3: There's only one of them.
Speaker 2: Just one on it Flame that weird series that is U the.
Speaker 3: Bat from Son What there are so many fucking rouges.
Speaker 2: The bat?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 5: Where does and I think she's got that heart?
Speaker 3: Lucy. We we live in much more different universes than I thought we did. My friend like up know that was her name? What she is going to show up on Sonic for Jeff and they're gonna have to like desexify her a little bit. Is going to do a fucking video about it.
Speaker 4: No, John, because we're in an age now where IP holders are leading into that because they made a life size Pokemon toy of the one that everyone wants to fuck.
Speaker 3: Oh guardivor yep, that's they. They fucking know what they know.
Speaker 4: Where does aware this Pokemon?
Speaker 3: Washington d C, Washington National Harbor, the country's capital.
Speaker 2: Rouge.
Speaker 3: I don't want to maybe maybe this isn't a conversation front air, but let me tell you arriving the day and what I arrived in Washington the day after the inauguration. Oh boy, I have never seen a Maga hat in the wild, and now.
Speaker 2: I was crazy, crazy.
Speaker 3: Talking wild I am. Also, I just wanted to say to you guys how much I enjoyed the game of the Year this year. It was excellent. Well done to you. Can I raise one tiny grievance that I've been holding in my ches? I'm sure go ahead, guys. PERSONA three over Mouthwashing for most depressing game? Are you for insane?
Speaker 4: I hadn't played Mouthwashing and I played it last week.
Speaker 3: Anime can be sad sometimes, I know, and it's like person it's a fucking persona. Oh isn't that sad yet? It's pretty sad. Mouth Washed anyway, Okay, thank you. I appreciate you letting me.
Speaker 2: Get I hadn't I hadn't played much. I hadn't played much mouth Washing.
Speaker 1: I have finished it since, but yeah, back then, just didn't have the information.
Speaker 2: I guess I gotta play this. Huh.
Speaker 3: Oh, mouth Washing, Jeff is so good. It's like if gore is a problem for you, dude.
Speaker 2: No, not video game gore is not a problem for me. Doesn't it upfront?
Speaker 1: Like when you turn it on up front, it's like, hey, there's a lot of stuff in this game.
Speaker 3: So, Jeff, how do you feel about a man with no skin and you have to click on his mouth to open it and when you do, it goes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm okay. I think I'm okay with it.
Speaker 3: Okay, then you're probably okay.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 5: What, I will play this before our next episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's two and a half hours.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize there was actually a prequel that was free. I think it steam my friends.
Speaker 3: Oh, Hea, the fish is made.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's tie Insto mouthwashing, which I didn't really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got I got to check that out. But I'll tell you another thing I got to check out, which I already have, this first episode of Berserk. Yeah, ten years podcast and experience is how I'm able to It's pretty good. John segues like that, thank you, thank you. Oh boy. So it's been about, honestly about ten years since I've watched this version of Berserk, and I was really sitting there for a lot of First of all, I love it. I think it's beautiful. I think it's great. I love the music, I love that animate sure of the backgrounds. I sat there for a lot of it being like, I have no idea what Jeff is going to make of this?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I figured the fucking evil villain like kind of chuckle like that was a real like oh you, oh, Power Rangers, You've fallen directly into my trap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's gonna work Berserk like tattoo and be like I've had a weekend.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, I mean I don't want to. Well, let's let's start. I mean, how do you want to how do you want to approach this?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to just I want to just take some temp take.
Speaker 2: The general feelings.
Speaker 5: Sure, sure, you know, I definitely did you know again, not know what to expect going into it. I was immediately sort of reminded of of like nineties era animation, I think because it reminded me a little bit of like well also it reminded me of like animation a bit of like the the crudeness of it a little bit, not a not in a bad I don't mean that as like a negative kind of way, but the similar style of like I remember what like Ninja Turtles, those original Ninja Turtles cartoons look.
Speaker 2: Like that animation.
Speaker 3: This animation something that has been drawn on paper by actual humans. Yeah, and a lot of it's analog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right from an arrow and animation was much more laborious as a work process and undertake like.
Speaker 3: This, This is definitely the oldest piece of animal No.
Speaker 2: Cowboy Bebop was very similarly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Kenboy Beabup is a is a freak miracle developed by Yeah freaks.
Speaker 5: Cowboy Bebop is like a sort of like out of its timeline in a way because of the quality there.
Speaker 3: Berserk feels like something from nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 5: It feels thirty years old, right, so you know I'm noticing that right away, Like, uh yeah, I mean I I I guess I for me, these first two episodes was really about like understanding, like, Okay, what are we going to be doing here? Like what is all this? And you know what I gathered is like, uh, these two people, this this Griffith person and uh, you know mister Berserk, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, mister.
Speaker 2: Actually Stephen Berser.
Speaker 5: Uh you know, they have a shattered past. Apparently maybe they were allies at one point. We're going to find out, and uh one of them maybe turns into a big reptilian monster. I don't know, but I'm learning a lot of stuff's getting thrown at me right at the front, and uh, you know, there's a big kind of battle and then we go back, I guess to a flashback story, which I'm not sure is that what this whole season is gonna be is like how did we get here?
Speaker 2: Kind of thing? But yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's unlike other anime adaptations of manga, well a lot of them, this is like the the chronology of the way it tells a story versus how it's read is very very different.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so in the manga when you open it up, you get a very different kind of introduction to the world.
Speaker 3: Of the manga is guts fucking a demon woman and then shooting her with the cannon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so when you say it's a nineties era, there's things that they just did not touch with a barge pole in this some of it is like toned down a bit, but like Berzerk, the manga.
Speaker 2: Is very very very very adult oriented.
Speaker 5: I'm getting a watered down version.
Speaker 3: You're getting like and that's more things that really shocked me about this this adaptation, because you know, it has been so long since I watched it, Like we are like that first episode is fourteen chapters compressed down into one episode. Yeah, it's and like the amount of story that's not there, the amount of shit they really.
Speaker 7: Yeah, as someone like as I was watching, I was just like, it's been a few years since I read it, and I was, shit, we are moving through this.
Speaker 3: When we got to the second episode and we'd hit the Golden Age, I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When gold Land started, I was like what, because I mean, the first is it the first kind of book or whatever of a collection of the first issue. I forget which one it is, but it's like mirror really didn't kind of know what he was, like the over arching story. And then it's like Golden Age when it really starts kind of coming together, Like it feels like the early issues of Berzik are very much more of his own thing, like finding his footing. It's more of a tonal piece, and this is what I remember. I could be completely wrong. And then when you start into getting into Golden Age, and yeah, it's, oh, Jeff, I really want you to read it, like I don't want to kind of imprint on you how important and how good this is.
Speaker 1: But like, yeah, of all the things that of all the stuff that we've seen, this is the one where I think if you went back and started reading it, you'd have.
Speaker 2: A much deeper appreciation for what it does and what do we do with your friends? Like what did we screw up? So what we don't?
Speaker 3: What I would say is that I think people can people can enter media in a lot of different ways. And like my first introduction of Berserk wasn't even the nineteen nineties anime. It was the films there. They basically remade this part of the story into three films later on, which I really like. But they're also not like an ideal entry into berserk. And in terms of like showing you what berserk is and giving you the broad strokes of how it's cool, there's a lot of people who are unwilling to pick up a four hundred chapter Mangah, I get why, and this anime, I do think, is going to give you the broad strokes of what's cool about it chip and like there's a lot it does really well. The music in this anime fucking unbelievable, so good, but.
Speaker 1: So also a really good like tone and that kind of stuff. So yeah, it's a it's a case of if you finished, if we finished this, and you're like, I kind of enjoyed that, I want to what else is going on there? I would recommend starting it over and reading it because it's also you'll get the get the kind of story in a different timeline as well. But this is perfect. This was my first berserk thing I experienced, was this anime this specific? And then I went but.
Speaker 3: Like, it's interesting as well, because in a lot of ways I would argue that like even the manga itself isn't a great introduction into Berserk because those first fourteen chapters mirror Kintara Muro is like twenty three years old and he started writing this, and those first fourteen chapters, like, there's a lot of good shit in them, and like I love them, but they do feel like they're written by an angry twenty three year old. Yeah, and like, you know, there's a lot of there's a lot of interviews where he talks about like, you know, he was just angry at that age. He was like passionate, and so he he wanted to write these scenes of you know, Gots fucking a demon lady and then shooting her in the head. You know, he wanted to He loved the power fantasy of being this big muscly night with this massive sword that's too big to be possible and all this kind of stuff. And I think one of the things that is so incredible about Berserk is how it eventually wraps back around and contextualizes what we're watching now in this really like beautiful and honestly like pretty profound way.
Speaker 2: But we're a.
Speaker 3: Long way from that, you know, And so Jeff, if you're watching this and you're kind of like, I'm not sure about this one. Guys. I get, I get, I would get that, you know, Like, I think Berserk takes its time, but it's taking its time because, like Mura as an artist is developing, he was writing this basically his whole adult life. His entire adult life, he was writing this story, and during that time he learned how to draw, how to become one of the most incredible artists in the world. He became one of the best writers in the world, one of the best like people in terms of narrative and how to lay out a page and all this kind of stuff. And the thing that I think is so special about Berserk is it is basically a one to one with the person who wrote it. Like you are literally watching it develop as a story for the entirety of its run, which ended up being the entirety of Mirror's life. And so when we get here and it's Goods cutting a bunch of demons in half with his sword, you don't have the perspective yet to see any of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting is a very.
Speaker 4: I think you should make video essays on YEA about things that you like, because I think you're really good at talking about things that you like and why they're good.
Speaker 3: This podcasting thing, Lucy. But I'll take that into their advice.
Speaker 2: Just try it, give it a go, you know.
Speaker 1: There is Yeah, there's a there's a bunch of videos we'll be able to send you afterwards as well, which will really point to context like what mirrors where is that?
Speaker 2: And his career and that kind of stuff that'll be helpful. All right, But yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Man, Okay, we start this first episode and it begins with a quote, in this world is the destiny? It is the destiny of Is it the destiny of mankind to be controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like, is that like the hand of God hovering above? At least it is that man has sorry, my dyslexi is going crazy today. At least it is true that man has no control even over his own will. And I think I'm just going to throw it off to Jeff, who's just going to do about four minutes on that go for Jeff.
Speaker 5: I just think it's like sort of inherently conflicting what this couple of sentences is proposing. There's a certain kind of like certainty about the fact that the quote is questioning free will, and then it's like, at least we know it's not true, which I think is sort of a bit of a contradictory statement there a little bit. I don't okay, I will say that like you could you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just keep going.
Speaker 5: It says the first sentence is a question in this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Okay, Jeff's could we pause question mark? Could you just deep dive on that first part. It's asking, is the destiny of man controlled by like a god or some sort of governing force?
Speaker 3: Sorry, Jeff, I didn't explain that, right. Could you go deeper on that statement?
Speaker 2: How do you I'm going to go deeper? What do you mean, Jeff?
Speaker 3: I am These are all layups, puddy, and we're trying to make a podcast here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come on, what else am I supposed to say? It's it's it's it's not a very profound question. Okay, Jeff, I'm gonna say something harsh, and that is, if you are not engaged, you shouldn't be showing up to these podcasts. That's not This show is not about that quote. This show is like or it's not about it yet. I'm sure we'll get to it. I know they do this in the beginning of every episode, so obviously there's a theme going on where we're gonna like slowly but surely unpack it as we find mister gutz Berserk or whatever the fuck his name is. Uh, we'll figure it all out with with the with the direct, with the with the snake person. We'll figure it all out as we get there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you have any idea what he's talking about?
Speaker 5: The guy turns into a snake. Griffith is like a snake, a snakeman. He turns into a snake at the end of the first episode, a reptilian snake monster. No, and he cuts him in half. And then he's got like a vagina face and he just stabs his vagina face with a bunch of arrows.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jeff, that.
Speaker 2: No wait wait what?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Can I can.
Speaker 3: I ask question?
Speaker 4: I guess this isn't a trick, this isn't a shrike. I just want to I want to ask you why do you think he's called guts? And I can't wait to revisit the answer when we find out.
Speaker 5: Why do I think he's called Guts. Yeah, I don't know. My short time with anime, the nomenclature, sort of like philosophy, is all over the map. Sometimes it's like an allusion to a seventies rock band. Sometimes it's like something that's very on the nose. I have no idea. It could mean literal organs. It could also mean bravery, it could mean anything. I have no idea. I also will admit it wasn't until a couple seconds ago did I realize that the swordsman guy's name was Guts. You know, I was.
Speaker 4: The guy where he says his name was Guts. That didn't register.
Speaker 5: I just some there's something sometimes that goes on where I don't grasp this stuff.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's fine. Okay, Well, so.
Speaker 3: Have a thing that shouldn't be that shouldn't be a problem with.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not. I'm not.
Speaker 5: I'm a passenger. I'm not hosting it. I am a passenger. I'm sitting in the back along for the ride.
Speaker 3: Okay. So the opening sequence starts and we basically get this hammer hitting a giant sword.
Speaker 5: Jeff thoughts, Well, you asked me about what did the sword? Well, there was he was making a sword in some sort of like cave. And I assume this is like the Black Swordsman thing. Uh, and you know it's like a very big sword.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know why swords have to be so big and impossible to hold. But that's fine if that's what we're gonna do. Here gives you a good range, I guess. And he's some special You talk about a.
Speaker 4: TikTok guy who was training with a gut sword.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, is he still going?
Speaker 2: I think he did it. I think yeah, he figured it out and did it. How can you you can't hold a sword like that?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: He basically trained for like two years to do it. Was its diro film and I understand full sword Jesus all right? Well I actually turned it around and said, John, can you elaborate for me as someone who's hyper familiar with what this.
Speaker 2: Sort of opening.
Speaker 3: It's just the sword jeft, it's not that deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just making and I nailed it. Then I nailed it.
Speaker 3: That's what it's about.
Speaker 1: I will be doing Dark Soul's Reference of the week. Yes, okay, good maybe doc, maybe not reference one reference, but multiple references.
Speaker 2: The video game series Dark Souls.
Speaker 3: Has a recurrent series from the Little Studio Soft from.
Speaker 1: Soft from Soft from San, that's what they call. It has a recurring motif character archetype of a shirtless elderly blacksmith. Okay, you may you may know Andre Blacksmith. Andre is a well known one, but that is this is one of the things that Miyazakian team drew some influence from. They love a good shirtless old man.
Speaker 2: Smith.
Speaker 5: Yeah, who who wouldn't wear a shirt working with hot melting and steel? I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: Jeff, did you pick up at all in these first episodes, especially that first episode? I guess how much Dark Soul Dark Souls from Soft came from Berserk? No, okay, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Thankfully you have a Dark Soul's reference from the week going for you, so get pointed out.
Speaker 3: So we open up and we are basically inside a tavern. It is a rain swept evening and a group of excuse the phrase ne'er do wells enter the bar with a young girl the podcast.
Speaker 2: Now and didn't like this and then like this where this was going?
Speaker 5: You know, Oh, Jeff, buddy, I mean, oh okay, they can't do that much with the cartoon. It already seems pretty like Pg. Thirteen, so you know, you know, we'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And all we know about these men is the first of all, they're they're they're not they're not very cool. No, I would not want to hang out with these dudes. And that they serve the snake baron right, that's the same guy I was thinking this whole They do this whole thing of like spilling drink out onto the table and making the girl like lick it up. But it's just it's very uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I wish they wouldn't, isn't wish they wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that is when a mysterious black swordsman with a mechanical arm enters the bar and just fucking lights two of them up straight away. This is our first introduction to our protagonist Guts.
Speaker 5: And I thought he was I thought he was aiming with that one eye closed, But no, no, no, one eye is closed.
Speaker 4: He's just like I mean, when eyes closed permanently.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yep, just yeah, so that perception, what's that? No depth perception? Yeah, he's probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hew do you think Guts lost his eye?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: I don't know, he works with sharp arrows a lot, I would imagine, so that's got something.
Speaker 7: To do with it.
Speaker 3: But I'm no crossbow misfire is your is your your guess?
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe there's like a misfire.
Speaker 5: He's like all those thing's jammed and he like kind of looks towards himself and yeah, hips facto.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 3: I bet that's it. I bet the actual reason won't be any more tragic or horrifying them.
Speaker 5: No, he's also fighting snake barns and like taking down entire armies with his two dimensions.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: Perhaps that's got something to do with it. We'll just have to wait and see. But let me tell you, they better address it.
Speaker 3: Oh don't worry, Jeff. You will become intimately aware of how he lost his eye.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 5: I love the eyeball terror. Can't wait.
Speaker 3: Goods just just takes these fucking dudes out, but he leaves one of them alive because he's.
Speaker 2: Before you move on.
Speaker 1: How So there's a moment where he enters and you're like, okay, it's about to pop off. Yeah, and then there's a close up of him putting his hand on the hilt of the sword and then there's a swinging motion and the dude's cutting half. Then you get to see the sword land on the ground, right, and there's that moment where you're like, wait, the idea is You're like, what the why is that so big?
Speaker 2: And why is it so heavy? What was your what was your response to that moment?
Speaker 1: Or the sword hits the ground and like basically crushes a massive chunk of it.
Speaker 5: M kind of kind of what you said, like, uh, yeah, guys holding and wielding and swinging an impossibly heavy sword to the point where like maybe he's not that good at it. Maybe this thing is fucking just doing what it wants. Maybe this sword is not a sword. This is a smashing sword. It is It's like it's like a hammer sword. It's not really a slicy sword, even though he just did dice up a couple of fellers in that bar there. Uh, he also holds it sometimes as an extension of his penis there I said it he holds it in a way Jesus jet that it's like positioned between his legs. And you know, look, I get its swords are phallic in nature, and certainly you stand with one that way, and it's gonna look like a sharp, long penis, is what it's.
Speaker 4: Gonna saying a lot here, Jeff, if you hold.
Speaker 5: A sword between your legs in the cratchel region, you will make it look like.
Speaker 2: It's a big sharp dong.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know, I tend to just see that as a sword.
Speaker 2: But yeah, okay, that's fine.
Speaker 1: It's time for your from Software reference of the week, we had got The sword is iconic.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: It is iconic for its size and its heft and it's damaging ability, and it's been frequently included in From Software's games, most recently. The great Sword is a colossal sword in the video game Elden Ring scales primarily with strength. Great weapon for cleaving a bunch of one evening. Yeah, it's just a It's described as a coarse iron lump of an ultra great sword mosedown's foes by utilizing its incredible weight.
Speaker 5: I'm not like swords stuff like, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Usually, Jeff, I prefer karate to swords. Yeah, same biga.
Speaker 1: Yeah, though handling it likely requires the wilder to have surpassed the realm of merely human is precisely for this reason, the weapon is used to slaughter even in human foes. Mmm, got it, you're from software. Reference of the week.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, tom So.
Speaker 3: Word gets back to our boy, the Snake Baron, who just to let people know, is the villain of this episode, and he hears word that the Black Swordsman has arrived, and his response is merely, he's finally here. So already you're kind of dropped in the middle of a story. This is this is not the origin and nothing. This is very much like Okay, this this has been going for a while, and we are cutting into the center of it right, as we will find out, is very much true. We didn't get a scene of Guts trying to get some some should I in a nearby forest and all kinds of horrible visions are stopping him from doing that.
Speaker 2: Guys, I think he's got some demons. Mhmm. Reference of the week. I don't even like Okay, go ahead, go ahead. What inspired the messengers in Bloodborne? Wow?
Speaker 5: I didn't realize Berserk and all the souls are so intimately connected, Oh Jeff, they are, Like.
Speaker 2: Why do you think I like them? Both?
Speaker 5: You go, look, I don't know that. I mean I know you Berserk. I I assigned Berserk to John Berserk is John's.
Speaker 3: Uh, I would say me and Tam are probably equal fans of BERSERMI.
Speaker 5: Okay, well I learned a lot today. That's very comfortable.
Speaker 2: Cool. That was your from Software Reference of the Week. Okay, Tam, this.
Speaker 4: Has a lot of do you remember Harry Hill's TV bop where they would go? So this has like we need a jingle, was like from Software Reference.
Speaker 3: Off If someone would like to make it, just use that sound bite Lucy to give it to us clean without any.
Speaker 4: Sounded like I want to blow my nose from Software Reference of the Week. I think the flat note really makes it.
Speaker 1: Yeahs, that'd be great, thank you, or someone else can isolate it and put like a beat behind it or something.
Speaker 3: So what we're getting here is this good sky. He is troubled. He he you know, even even a simple knight's rest is not something that comes easily to him. We see a lot of ghostly figures, including four particular figures are five that refer to themselves as the God Hand.
Speaker 5: So is this the god Hand Reference of the week? Because I played that this is.
Speaker 2: The of the week. Play that game Capcom published the game called God Hand. I guess.
Speaker 3: The snake Baron is He's going off on one. He's not happy that that that Guts is here, and he basically starts annihilating this village, to whom he has established an agreement with the mayor. I don't I don't know the lord of this village.
Speaker 4: If we are in Skyrim Verbinge and the this.
Speaker 3: This snake, he is not no reservations about slaughtering all these innocent people, which is when he comes face to face with Guts. His men do not do very well against Goots at all. They are slaughtered immediately by the heft of his giant and girthy sword, and it then becomes a showdown between the the snake Baron and Guts before the snake Baron transforms into a giant and horrifying monster.
Speaker 4: Was I thought that was Griffith.
Speaker 5: It was not okay, Pay attention, Lucy. We discovered that not eighteen minutes ago. Also, wish the snake is anyone else? Just not happy with like it's like mouthguts, the.
Speaker 3: Gum face mouth cuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I get it. I get it.
Speaker 3: When he when his face is inside the mouth, Yeah yeah, he has the vagina mouth.
Speaker 2: Time from Softwire reference of the week, The Snake Baron.
Speaker 1: You see where he's like giant and he's got loads of tentacles and you know, being a widow from remind you what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Might remind you?
Speaker 1: May have inspired one right card Lord of Blasphemy in Eldon Ring, one of the shot bearers.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your time. I don't know if I can handle join the family the very God.
Speaker 4: Yeah to available for professional.
Speaker 5: Voice work by the way, So anyway, vaginant snake Uh, wish that didn't happen. Not a fan, No, not a fan.
Speaker 3: It's something that goods wish that it didn't happen. His his sword gets knocked away and he gets crushed into the giant Tale of the Snake Baron and this thing the month the Designer Berserk. I always find is like Mirror takes a lot of like really established tropes, like a giant snake monster, but there's always just this added layer of just fucking nightmare horror to it. And I think the Snake Barron is like a really good introduction to that because like big scary snake monster and then it opens its mouth and has the human face inside and it's like it's pushing through the goods thing utterly horrible.
Speaker 5: Plus the tom plus the tongue on top, like the cherry on the Sunday the things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: The two things that they kind of in that whole sequence that are worth pointing out is the snake Baron call refers to himself as an apostle and he says the other guy, I'm making trouble for us apostles. And then also like it zooms in onto a necklace he's wearing, which is like a weird fat baby based red.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's like a weird honker in it. Weird nose, weird nose.
Speaker 2: Reference of the week. Devil might cry red orbs. It's nice.
Speaker 5: He he does say, like I got my nose necklace. That's important, is what he calls it. I will say this Berzerk is pretty heavy metal. I wasn't expecting it to be so heavy metal. It's kind of metal that is not going to stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very heavy, very heavy metal.
Speaker 3: It was not amazing and like iconic imagery in this show. Yeah, And unfortunately for Baron, snake guts happens to have a cannon in his arm thoughts.
Speaker 5: I didn't know where that came from at all, sort of just like, come on, we need to establish things before we use them, I guess, but maybe not well, I mean, I mean, I guess some.
Speaker 3: Might argue this is the establishment that was establishing sure.
Speaker 5: Pilot, pilot, give me your cannon gun, cannon arm thing. I like, they froze, they froze the frame. I thought that was really cool. I really enjoyed that delivery.
Speaker 3: I think so when I look at the show, it doesn't look like a show with like the most lavish animation production in terms of like time or budget, But I think they make a lot of clever decisions in working on what they have and making it feel important. Because even I think it's this episode of this one shot where there's like it's just a still background of a village burning and it's a beautiful painting, but like there's no animation, the fire is not moving, and so they like warp it and that with the fire affects like it looks like heat Hayes and it actually works, and that that is an economical use of one's resources.
Speaker 1: I also like during this fight where the snake Baron is holding gods by the head and he looks like so like pained and sad and like he's That's one of the things. I think it's the first instance of the viewer being told like, this guy is not invincible.
Speaker 2: There's more going.
Speaker 1: I mean, they reference it the earlier where the he's having that experience in the woods and they like, your fear belongs to us, the kind of references that he's not a superhero. And then you see this scene where he's like he looks like he's gonna cry, and you're like, oh, ship, this guy.
Speaker 5: Reminded me of Mooman writer in one punch Man was just getting tossed around by that monster thing.
Speaker 2: My favorite part of that entire show, that little U.
Speaker 3: So this is what it looks like when you just don't rise to bait and you be the bigger person. So I'm moving on.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's not bait, that's just truth. There's just spitting fact, I guess. But yeah, that's tough, John. You're a right, you're you're a big, big person. It's okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Never I never thought in a million years out here moomen writer reference while talking about.
Speaker 5: Look, I did it, I did it. Does the first for everything, Tam get on board, strap in. There's a lot more where this came from.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 3: So at this point, uh, the snake Baron is in a pretty bad way. And here's where we get to see a really, like, I want to say, kind of surprising side of Goots, because he's not like, I have defeated you, Barron, and now the people are free. He's like, I'm gonna fucking hurt you now and just shoots him over and over. It's hilarious.
Speaker 2: He's just like, what was that? Oh, oh you're like a va giant.
Speaker 3: Oh what?
Speaker 2: Just over and over?
Speaker 5: Really gratuitous but funny.
Speaker 3: And it is gratuitous. But it's also like, oh, Guts like fucking hates these people, whatever the apostles are, whatever this force is, Guts despises it, and he has no mercy in himself. He he he He is Maybe not a good dude either, is what we're kind of feeling here.
Speaker 2: They also referenced something called the brand m.
Speaker 5: Hm yes, which is a tattoo that I'm sure no one in real life has.
Speaker 2: It's some from software reference of.
Speaker 3: The we.
Speaker 4: John as you said, John John raised the hand Man.
Speaker 3: Where is it It's like could show I'm not going to It's.
Speaker 2: Like, wait is the other side? Where is that where Guts has?
Speaker 1: Yes, that is a brand that also inspired a bunch of imagery symbolism in Bloodborne, specifically the Carol Ruins and the Hunter's mark. If you look at the hunter as mark from Bloodborne, it is very, very stylistically similar to the brand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the brand has become a very popular tattoo to get and I love that. I love meeting other people with the brand and being like.
Speaker 2: You get it going on you that night.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's a struggle at the best of times them. So with that, God's basically leaves the snake barn burning.
Speaker 2: And takes the baylet.
Speaker 3: He takes the bailt and this closes out episode one, but as it does, we get a flashback and it's of a seemingly very young Guts facing down a night much larger than him. Azuso, my boy, that's the character that you've fucking honed in on.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. I don't know why.
Speaker 5: Something about this guy I think is real funny and goofy. He's like the Mike Manatti of Oh shit, this guy's making me laugh. A Disney adult, Yeah, like Bzo definitely Disney definitely loves going on all the rides.
Speaker 3: So, and this is the point basically where we have done fourteen chapters in this one episode, we've kind of like we've kind of cut out the second half or well not even the second half of cut out, like just loads and loads of story and like loads and loads of goods like fighting demon lords and nearly killing little girls and all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Nearly what do you mean nearly?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 2: I mean he kind of has.
Speaker 3: There's a moment where he's like kind of saving a little girl, but then when the choice comes to kill this demon lord or say the little girl, he accidentally nearly kills the dean the girl, but then he does kill the demon lord, and it's a whole thing. The point being he wants to kill these creatures more than he wants to save innocence, which makes him a right bastard, got it?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm? Okay, And.
Speaker 3: So then the next Okay, first of all, Jeff thoughts where were you at the end? And Tom Lucy a mainly consentrying on Jeff just because he is present the series. Yeah, no, I was, I think It captured me definitely. It was very excited. Okay, yeah, I was like cool.
Speaker 5: I was like, cool, we're just gonna be are we going to be doing like demon on the We and Guts is just gonna be like two dimensionally slaughtering these fools like all over, Like I'm here for that. I thought that was neat, you know. I guess there was enough table setting that sort of uh you know, laid the laid the foundation for like, oh, let's let's we're gonna probably dig into this guy's past. We're gonna see how he became this uh this guts person with the sword. Okay, sure, you know, so it was. It was I found the first episode more engaging than this one. We're about to recap the second one, but but yeah.
Speaker 2: M interesting.
Speaker 3: So okay, I'm interested to dive into this one a little bit because again, so much has been cut from this episode, and I guess I just want to drop a content warning here for people. Uh, it's really really difficult to talk about Brazik without touching on like aspects of like sexual assault and some kind of tough stuff that it touches on. And I think we are going to have to like go into that a little bit. You know, we're not going to dwell on it, we're not going to talk about it longer than we have to. But I think there's there's a lot of positive and a lot of negative and how Berzerk touches on this stuff, and I think in some ways like it's there's some really like profound and great stuff in there, and there's like some explosive stuff in there as well, And I really don't want to just sideline that because I think it is a really really important discussion to have. So just just want to lay this content warning right in front of people, you know, and we will do that as we continue with the story, so that you know, people don't have to miss more than they have once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's berserk in terms of contextualizing it and trying to come at it from or talking about that specific thing from a creative analytical angle. Was this was like one of the few or maybe one of the early examples or popular examples of a anime or a manga series actually touching upon those kinds of topics. And for most people who enjoy anime, this is usually series that kind of when you're young, changed things where it's like, oh, this is does anime? Isn't just like people being super powered and you know, growing up this was like one of those experiences. So the fact that it tackles or uses those kind of issues as a narrative kind of device was unique. But in doing so and in pioneering that kind of approach, it also makes a lot of mistakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's a lot in like specific scenes that I think is very much like exploitive, and there's definitely moments where it feels like that kind of material is being used to shock. But what I will say is, at least in the case of its main characters, I feel like that trauma is worked into who they are and their identity in really genuinely meaningful ways, and it's a part of them that is always relevant and you can always feel in them. But we'll get into it a little more here, but yeah, just wanted to get that right up front. So we begin, and it starts with basically a siege on a castle and Jeff's favorite berserk character, Berzuzzo is uh Mo, one fools down. No one can touch Berzuzo and his giant dick axe. His dick axe, his like bulbous armor. That's so stupid, and he's just sort.
Speaker 4: Of like a what'd you call him from from Soft in terms of like that it's time to from Software.
Speaker 2: I could feel it.
Speaker 1: In the Dark Saul's world, there is a place called Katarina where nights.
Speaker 2: Different when.
Speaker 1: Yeah, knights from this place often make their way into whatever mischief is happening in the Dark Soul's world, and one of them, Siegmaya of Katerina, is iconic known as the Onion Knight, and he very much has this kind of michelin Man style army set where it looks like it's fat rolls are like visible in the armor. And yeah, the the Katarina Knights appear frequently in the From Software games. Siegmay is probably the most well known one, sitting outside sends Fortress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, remember seeing that dude first and just be like, what who is this guy? But I think at that point I'd already missed his first west line. But even that was just like the mystique of who the fuck is this? So good anyway, So listen, guys, no one's gonna be able to take down old Bazuzo. He's the thirty Man Slayer he's known as the bear slaughterer. There ain't no one who can fucking touch Bazuzo. He kills bears, or is there? Step forward a young Guts and Guts. I not one hundred percent what age Goots is meant to be at this point. I think in the anime he does look a bit more adult than he looks in the comic. Or then he he's I think he's meant to be imployed like teenage years, like fifteen to seventeen, somewhere about there. And the Guts is already a bit of a menace with a sword. At this point, he gets into a battle with Bizzuzo where he's able to first splinter Bezuzzo's acts with a parry, and later on when their two blows meat Bezuzo's acts shatters, he takes one to the guts before Guts, I don't even try and do That's that's what ten years of podcasting experience will get you, folks. And before he takes them down, which kind of signals that which is kind of the turning point in this siege, And what that means basically is that this castle, which has been held by for three months is now going to fall. But we get a shot from the perspective of the people defending the castle and it's this mercenary outfit called the Band of Hawk, and they're kind of looking at it and they're like this fucking guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They mentioned about how you know, no one thought that they could defend the castle for three days, not even mine three months, but they kind of talked themselves and like, that's probably time to pull out. I think we're done here. You know.
Speaker 2: What did you think of seeing Griffith?
Speaker 6: Me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember they they came up to him and he's and then they mentioned him like on a different level, it's like a beautiful, like silver haired being.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So my first thoughts on seeing Griffith was that's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. And then he started talking and I was like, oh, well, life's complicated.
Speaker 1: He's also he's also holding a necklace of a weird, bulbous looking mouthy thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's why that's why my association was cemented where I was like, oh, right, you understand.
Speaker 3: Like all I'll say, Jeff, is that griff creature nose necklace like milk necklace. Alight, you heard what you want?
Speaker 2: To hear it. Yeah, what what do you y'all sell? Millf necklaces?
Speaker 8: Here?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm merchandise. There we go, there we go.
Speaker 3: Sorry adventure milf necklace?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you have.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, you should, we should, we should. Just our merchandise is only ever bullets. Merchandise should only ever be the word milf. But in the like logo font of the anime we're watching, love that.
Speaker 3: Oh milk and berserk font is one of the most first things I've ever thought of.
Speaker 2: Come on, let's go fan art people, Let's go. Yeah, oh, dear Steve project without a doubt.
Speaker 3: So you know, they have a little chat about Guts and like, you know what, we need to get out of here. Then outside the outside the fort, it's basically everyone's kind of clearing out there. The soldiers are accepting their pay and Guts gets his massive bonus for killing Bozuzo. Jeff, I want to offer my condolences. I know Bazuza is your favorite character. He ain't coming back.
Speaker 2: It's okay.
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, I enjoyed our time with with him, and uh, you know, all good memories. Yeah, everything good must end, I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the guy in charge, Like the Night Captain is basically like, hey, kid, you should come work for me. What if you come under my employee? And Guts is like not interested. Fuck off. He's a mercenary. He doesn't have any allegiance. He's just doing this for money. But then there's a bit, and I think like it's a really in hindsight, like very kind of profound important bit where the Night Captain reaches for Goots and he like grabs him by the shoulder and he's just it's not even like a violent crab, it's just a hey, hang on there for a second. Let's let's have a talk about this. And Guts reacts really fucking badly. He does not want this person touching him and he says, don't touch me. Don't you ever touch me?
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 3: After that he set on and we'll we'll we'll come back to that. But after that he sets off down a dirt dirt road where he is spotted once again by the band of the Hawk and they're like, there's that fucking guy who ruined our siege. And there's kind of this conversation like should we go get him, and they're like, well, he's not our enemy. Anymore. But then they think that, you know what, he probably has a nice fat purse from taking out Buzuzo. And they attack first. Corcus attacks, and let me tell you, Corcus is just the fucking asshole who does not quit. Fuck Corcus every goddamn scene this motherfucker is in.
Speaker 5: He is a piece of shit, just making the wrong decision m hm without even thinking about it.
Speaker 2: What a piece of ship mm hm.
Speaker 3: And so he's basically like, I'm gonna I'm gonna go, I'm gonna go sort this guy out. And that's where we meet Kaska, my sweet girl.
Speaker 2: Oh I love this.
Speaker 3: I love her so much.
Speaker 5: She's cool, she seems cool. I'm into whatever cool you guys, I don't have anything tattoos.
Speaker 2: Wait, none, chef zero.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jeff, it's been two episodes.
Speaker 5: It's been two episodes that I watched this morning.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: So you've had the entire morning.
Speaker 2: Come back. You're right, What am I doing?
Speaker 4: God, he's gonna have drawn the brand on his neck brand?
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, there's something like there's something so hilarious about the ideas when drawing Jeff as goods and like, I'm specifically thinking the expression you have in your discordfile, Jeff.
Speaker 2: Okay, just the armor. Yeah, I'm pratice together for me real quick. I would if I could get if I if I went to get in a tattoo, I would think yet tattoo.
Speaker 3: Did you think you ever would?
Speaker 1: Muh, there's like cultural religious implications that are difficult to I would. I would think about getting one of those like fadeaway ones because like they lost, Yeah, they lost for like a few months and then they just fade away.
Speaker 3: When when I started getting tattoos, I know, it's like kind of a different thing. When I started getting tattoos, my mom just said, John, no, you look like an English criminal. She's got a point no, no no.
Speaker 4: So my mom was a lawyer and she when I started getting tattoos. I only have two. But like I said, I do have a tattoo. A pointment for Wednesday. Shout out to Ryan. I'm getting that Peanuts one. I'm getting the Lucy van Pelt saying I'm torn between the desire to create the desire to destroy.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I when I told my mom that I had a tattoo, she sent me a very long uh what's that message? And my mum used to like work in prisons and stuff, and she was like, wow, all the people I used to defend and you know, prosecute, like they would all have tattoos. And I was like, are you trying to say that just because I got a tattoo, I'm gonna become a criminal now, And she was like, well, I'm not not saying yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: All right, Well I mean that's what happens. You get a tattoo, you start doing crimes. Everyone knows that I.
Speaker 3: Have done way more crimes since I got my first tattoo.
Speaker 2: I've done zero crimes and I have no tattoos. Not a coincidence that proves it. I've never done a crime.
Speaker 3: Like, let's go fucking let's go fucking kill this fool. And Kaska is like, Nope, you're gonna die, don't do it. And he's like I'm not. And he sets off with two people and they attack Guts. One immediately has their arm cut off. Do you know there immediately dies from Guts's massive sword, and then Corcus nearly dies before Griffith instructs Casca go save them, and he almost caucused it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Lucy, keep going, keep going, Cask is.
Speaker 3: Caske puts up a decent fight against Guts, but she's immediately knocked off her horse in a really beautiful shot where he like, yeahs her helmet. I just love that little piece of animation.
Speaker 5: He's like, wait a minute, you're a girl, girl, is what I said.
Speaker 3: That's what he said. Ye, And everyone's like watching them fight and they're like, holy shit, this dude is keeping up with Caska. According to everyone else, Casket is the second strongest fighter. My camera just went brokeepron. Cask is the second strongest fighter next to Griffith in the Band of Hawk, and she does rock. She is not quite able to keep up with Guts, which is when Griffith appears, and everything about how Griffith is framed, everything about how the other characters react to him, you can tell this is the fucking guy, right, This is the dude who everyone loves, who everyone thinks is amazing, and he beats Guts in a second. He basically one slice, Guts goes down, it's over and during this so then basically Guts has this vision that he is naked and that a naked lady ise lying next to him, and this is where we get I guess a very abstracted version of goots past. Jeff, what was What was your feeling about this section? Definitely distracting with his like weird Kendall body. Yes, could not put that out of my mind right away. He's huffing and puffing.
Speaker 1: That is just just to be clear that as a consequence of like not censorship, but like ater ing stuff in the animey, it's he does he does have a dong.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, I wasn't like the message I received was not that he was like that, I get it. I just found that to be a thing I couldn't put out of my mind. And yeah, huffing and puffing running away from something. I'm trying to think what else I remember from that, But yeah, obviously my man's got shattered past, and I know that like they do these, I would imagine this is a thing where we are understanding whatever the four or five characters is like, there was there's a lot of like demonic imagery whenever we go into this dark place with our boy.
Speaker 3: Guts wakes up and he goes outside and immediately Caska punches him in his wound, making me fall in love with her for the rest of time. Yeah, I love Caska so so much. And it's revealed that that Griffith asked Caska to lay with guts and keep his body warm because that is the job of a woman thoughts.
Speaker 2: Ah ah, it's like.
Speaker 4: This kind of demeaning thing that Griffith does. And you will see the way that he kind of manipulates and keeps everyone in their place because he has a grand plan and a grand scheme and it's such a like it's you know, like the point that Casko's elevated within the band of the Hawk, and then he also is like going to demean her by giving her that up, Like, yeah, there's a there's a really, there's a really. There was a TikTok series of this older gentleman reading Berserk for the first time.
Speaker 3: Do you mean web MD sorry or sorry WebMD wed.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: And he had something like an incredible line to say about Griffith, and I think, John, we should hold it until we get there.
Speaker 3: Definitely hold it. Definitely hold it.
Speaker 4: But like Griffith is a character, Oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: Think he has he has such like such control over everyone around him, Like he's he's the kind of dude he shows up at a party, he is immediately the most popular person. Everyone kind of wants to talk to him. Jeff, I'm gonna imagine, like I'm gonna ask you to try and conceptualize what it might like to be someone like to be to be cool. Yeah, like just someone people want to talk to him, be around and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, I've seen stuff I can drug.
Speaker 1: Here's time for your From software references of the way, we have two references her friends. The first is Kaska sleeping with or using her body to keep guts alive. Could be or interpretation. In Elden Ring, there is a group of people called the deathbed companions. You're most well known, you most well know fear the deathbed companion who the deathbed companions are effectively women who kind of lay by the side.
Speaker 3: Of noble people and use and get a deep buff right. Yeah. Yeah, I'm just saying she kind of games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she like absorbs almost like life energy from those she lays with and can transfer it to like others to try and keep them alive and vigorous and that kind of stuff. So could be a deathbed companion thing happening there. And then the second one is Griffith is very popular because he's very charismatic and has the ability to almost control people around him with his charisma and make them be who he wants them to be, much like a certain Demi god called Kindly Mikola in Elder Ring, who has the same ability of using charisma to win people over.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your time, thank you tom So Immediately, someone who has not won over by Griffith is goods for He's like, you motherfucker, and he's like, let's fight right now. And Griffith's sponse is basically like, okay, but if I win, you got to join my band of mercenary. Gouts draws his sword rushes towards Griffith, and that's where we end the episode.
Speaker 2: Bam hm boom, what do you hold up?
Speaker 4: Hold up?
Speaker 7: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you all.
Speaker 5: You're you're consuming this media again, right, you.
Speaker 4: Have the context, We have the context.
Speaker 2: You have so much more context.
Speaker 3: Yeahyah, look we're teasing. I actually I have a favorative sympathy for Jeff in this situation because it is hard when you are viewing, when you're experiencing a piece of media and everyone already has their thirty thousand mile perspective opinion on it, right.
Speaker 5: Very difficult to put your isolated viewing of the thing in a box and sort of like, let's sit passenger, right while the three of you just dance around in this berserk party that I've not been invited to.
Speaker 3: Oh no, Jeff for inviting me in. You're welcome to the party.
Speaker 2: I'm in the party.
Speaker 3: I'll cast all about I'm in the party. I'd be so excited to see you as a private party. I didn't mean it.
Speaker 2: No, it's fine, No, it's totally fine.
Speaker 5: No, uh yeah, so understandably right, Like you guys like this, uh, this, this end of episode two rings much more prominent to the three of you than it does me. I'm just sort of like, all right, these two teenagers are gonna like slap fight whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this dude in a twink. So yeah.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of this series is going to be that by the nature of it being a condensed version of Multiplocks from the manga. But yeah, I think what we're trying to do here is provide as much context around the things that are happening without spoiling stuff that is coming up, which is a tricky balance to.
Speaker 3: Strike for sure?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, how did you feel about those two episodes? Overall? I feel good?
Speaker 5: You know. Maybe first one's a little more compelling, a little more action, a little more like intense.
Speaker 2: I get.
Speaker 5: The purpose of episode two. We're framing up some character development where we're trying to introduce you to what I would imagine be important characters here, and uh yeah, I'm here for it. I'm excited to see where it goes.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, me too. And guys, that is going to draw to a close our first episode of Jeff Jeffs bizarre adventure Berserk Guiden. I want to thank you everything for me, Lucy James, Where can people find you?
Speaker 4: Find me? Everywhere? Lucy James Games, but on Blue Sky I'm Lucy James dot Games.
Speaker 3: Jeff Backlerwe can the people find.
Speaker 5: You, you know everywhere? I do the Blue Sky stuff a lot.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: I think that place is fine for now, So check me out there, would you please?
Speaker 1: Thanks Tam Where people got Yeah, I'm tomor h on Everything on blis Band Tomorrow, Hatre dot Com.
Speaker 3: And I am eyepatch Wolf on Blue Sky. Guys, thank you for joining me and remember keep struggling.
Speaker 5: Jeff Jeff's Bizarre Adventure is hosted by timor Hussein, Lucy James, John, Super Eye, Patch, Wolf Walsh, and me Jeff Backlar. Our post producer an editor is Jean Luke Zepke. Our logo is designed by Justin Bashon and Jesse O'Brien. Thanks so much for listening.
Speaker 2: Anim