Speaker 1: Be Ba. It's the Internet. You're busy. Let's do this for January tenth, twenty twenty four. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on gamest Mornings Live with Me Jeff Grubb Today. Nintendo actually responded to switch two weeks and Xbox has a developer direct coming up later this month with a mystery game. But first, please join me in welcoming today's co host the game Mest Mornings. It's Janet Show. Everybody, jan How are you doing? I'm doing great. It is Friday morning. There are dregs, but they're also not dregs.
Speaker 2: It's news. It it's a missing time.
Speaker 1: It's a mixture of news and drags. And you know what, I think that's my preference. I think it's the ratio that I come to Fridays for. It's like a good buffet. You need the child items like chicken nuggets and French fries and a very bad cheese pizza, but also the ability to get sushi rolls in suspect Chinese food exactly. You can have like the exciting stuff that adults are there for to roll the dice with their tummies, but you got to have the chicken nuggets, so you gotta have the chicken strips and the mac and cheese. Yep, learned that at Disney.
Speaker 3: If you see a chocolate fountain at a buffet, are you going to it?
Speaker 1: I am like like sidling up to it with suspicion in my eyes, But I probably get over that, and yeah, I will engage with the chocolate fountain. How about you.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I would, but I appreciate it being there. I'll take the things that need to be dipped in the chocolate fountain and just eat them raw.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It also gives you a good way of like knowing who's surrounding you. Because the people that are running up enthusiastically to the chocolate fountain, You're like, all right, I got to keep an eye on them. Yeah, yeah, yeah, make sure that they don't get out of hand, because these are the people you cannot trust. They have no sense of self preservation. Yeah, I'm right there with you. I went the games got done quick last night or yesterday, I should say, that was a yeah. We saw we showed up. They were finishing the partners in time run, and we went down and played some games in the arcade there. I did the popping music. Is that's what these machines are called?
Speaker 2: Oh the washing machine?
Speaker 1: Washing machine? Yes, yeah, and it was what that was my jam. I like rhythm games a lot. That was It was very fun. There's a j Minotti got some video of me playing, so I'll find somewhere to put that. But it was Yeah, it was a good time. And then we went up and watched the entirety of the Tears of the Kingdom run, which was fantastic as well. Boy, that's a you know what, that's a good game and very fun to watch someone just tear it apart. They did great as well. We got out of there not too long after that though, because we had to go record a podcast that night. But yeah, it was a you know, a quick, quick jog over to Pittsburgh and I'm gonna try to make that happen again next year.
Speaker 3: Fantastic. I've always wanted to go to a games done quick and just just see the magic happen.
Speaker 1: It is magic, like they are that, you know. The magic is there's you know, so many very talented volunteers working behind the scenes making that thing very efficient at this point, and it was impressive. To just to see everybody know their job and just take care of things. And yeah, a really professional operation they have going there. So just yeah, all of the you know, every time you at these things start up and these things raise you know, a million dollars, two million dollars, it is you could tell that everyone's very proud, like they take pride in the work that they're doing to ensure that that happens, and they deserve it, and you know that it's like this is a like I said, professional operation. Real quick before we do get started, just want to you know, thoughts worth everyone in LA. It is time I glance over there, which I can only glance because it like hurts my heart to like look too deeply at it, which I apologize for. I'm a weak person. But when I do, I am thinking of people that I know and people that I don't know, and just it just seems devastating. I really like LA and I see to see this happen to it is just heartbreaking. So just shout outs to everybody out there.
Speaker 3: Yes, definitely, if you have any friends, acquaintance's family members in Los Angeles, please go and check on them. Friends of the site in Los Angeles I believe are all accounted for and okay, I've we've tried to check up on them. Believe all the homies are okay. But yeah, check on your homies folks at home.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. I know a lot of them are you know, displaced and not able to get back to their homes quite yet, or if they are, it's just starting to happen. Glad they were safe. Boy, that sounds like a rough situation. So I just just hope everyone's able to get back to normal as soon as possible, which, yeah, you know, I know it's not going to be an option for many.
Speaker 3: Also, if you're in the Los Angeles area, please be safe. Please try and wear a mask as much as possible, and the N ninety five mask when you step outside. Air quality is terrible. As someone that lives in northern California has also had to deal with the fallout of fires. If thankfully you can be spared from the actual fire damage, but some of the lasting stuff and more toxic hazardous stuff can be the air quality. So stay inside when you can, or try and wear a mask as much as possible.
Speaker 1: All right, let's explain what we do here most weekdays. I Jeff Grubb will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chas and timestamps on YouTube below YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning Mess with Nintendo. Switch To listings are popping up in retailer databases. Yes, more switch to leaks today. It's a little bit more fun because Nintendo actually acknowledged at least one of them. But you know, not that that amounted too much. Let's get into it. This is from a multiple places, so I kind of all mashed it all together here. Recent links from game Stops internal database and French retailer Finac suggest details about Nintendo's upcoming console, possibly a Switch successor, well, definitely a Switch successor. Leaks inside and leaks include listings for accessories like micro SD cards. These are micro express micro SD cards. This is maybe interesting because well, for one, they'll be faster, something I think a lot of people were anticipating. But those micro SD express cards can technically support up to five hundred terabyte maybe it was one hundred some odd terabytes on one card. Not that there's those available like at like retail. Maybe maybe if you go talk to like a specialist at one of these memory company storage companies, they might be able to provide that at an enterprise level. But eventually, you know, in several years, we might be getting these little st cards that are very fast, that work with the switch to and could have you know, fifty terabytes. Like that's not out of the realm of possibility, which is insane to me. But yeah, I'm glad that Nintendo is at least using what feels like a more next gen technology for it's it's it's you know cold storage there. Yeah, there's you know, also like carrying cases joy congrepts. The the doc has little indentations on it, so you can't slide or you can't put the switch to in a switch one dock. And you know, I think that's also something most people were anticipating that tells us that's like maybe there is some reason and like there's maybe more going on in the switch to DOC than in the switch one dock, or who knows, maybe Nintendo just wants to sell you a new dock and that's the way that goes. But yeah, this is just been an onslaught parade of leaks from every which way. We've talked about the mouse thing, like oh, maybe that's an optical sensor in those are mouse souls as they're called, like little feet, so the thing can slid on a table. We still don't know really anything for sure about this system. We are probably gonna get a lot of definitive information relatively quickly. Again, like they you know, not it will happen quickly, because they've said they are going to show this thing off before the end of March. We are midway through January. We're talking a matter of weeks now, but I think it's like we might not get out of January before like really getting all the information about this. And in this moment, like it feels like, God, we know everything, but a lot of the stuff that we have speculated and tried to piece together and feel good about, like the mouse thing, as Sean was saying games Mortis earlier this week could just look absolutely that.
Speaker 3: Shit silly very soon. Jan, how are you feeling about all this? I say, more rumors of plenty. Let's let's build up the hype factor, let's build up our expectations, and let's get weird. And I can't wait for Nintendo to release something that is still going to be pretty neat and cool, but it's not going to live up to all the wild expectations we built up, and we'll all just be.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, okay, yeah, I'll pick one up anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that there. You know, I definitely saw some images of a switch to allegedly being turned on, something that we hadn't seen up to this point. But as far as I glanced at this, I only looked really quickly. It looked like it was just doing a manufacturer's like check, where like when you turn it on and be like, you know, a post. It was doing the post thing for your PC. This thing is going to post, it's going to turn on, uh, and and then we're gonna check all the systems to make sure that they're operational and something that you can the manufacturer we'll be able to do maybe before they install load on the operating system, the actual operating system. So maybe that is the switch toos that are getting out there, and uh, some some part of the operating system gets put on these devices at some other point that is not happening at the point of manufacturing. Uh, It's it's weird. We still haven't seen anything about software. We haven't seen anything about the way the system works, which is in my mind, the most important stuff, the most the most the more interesting factors about what the switch too is going to be. Uh So, yeah, there's still a lot for them to talk about.
Speaker 3: Have we seen anything grub about like the future of switch cartridges or switch to cartridges?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I I'm not sure people are saying in chat that we have. I have not seen that. So let me see here. I'm gonna go to a website called Google and switch to card turches and I will just say cartridge even though I think they're just cards because I'm a bad person. Let's see here, I'm click on news.
Speaker 2: What about chips, let's start calling them chips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're chips, They're they're yeah. We yeah, we'll put chips in your deck because we're cyberpunt now, yeah, I don't know. I'm not seeing much about it, so yeah, maybe they'll taste better. That's probably what people are worried about. Yeah, I had to. Uh, I did have that conversation with my my kid the other day, being because there was a battery that had the symbol on the package. That's like, we put the bad code in on this little taste bad And then she's like, so if it doesn't have that, does it taste good? Like no, no, no, no, no, don't go thinking that. So that was a really fun conversation. Uh. Yeah. Nintendo did respond to some of these leaks, though, Uh Nintendo responds specifically to CEES. Nintendo switched to leaks this from Alex Hopley at Game Reactor at CES despite Nintendo not being present at the show. We've heard a lot of alleged details about the Nintendo's which too from a parent from apparent logo to supposed Joycon images, a lot of this stuff is starting to look legit, but without confirmation from Nintendo, we're keeping our salt shakers out. Speaking to the sen Ke Shinbun, Nintendo made a very short statement on the supposed reveals saying the images and videos are quote not official. While this might sound like an immediate dismissal of what we've seen so far, the word official being used here seems quite key. Nintendo hasn't told us the images are false or fake, just that they're not official, which we know as they've not come from Nintendo itself. In reality, then this has cleared up little in regard to whether these images are legitimate or not. Yeah, I mean, just the fact that Nintendo felt the need to respond is maybe a little interesting. It's more interesting for the company responsible for this, which is Ginky, which is gotten a lot of attention because of this, which you know was the goal, I'm sure, and more power to them. I have no problem with this. You know, do your thing. You've got the information, and you don't have a relationship with like a direct relationship with Nintendo, that's fine. But Nintendo has noticed, and maybe that is a little bit scary if you're them, right, Yeah, can you?
Speaker 2: I is Nintendo in.
Speaker 3: A position where they can issue like a cease and desist or some type of legal action to stop Gankey from manufacturing switch to peripherals.
Speaker 2: Is that a thing that can be done?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know what I I don't in my head, I'm like, it seems like that would be hard to do because unless they're using like the switch to trademark or some entire proprietary piece of information, like you know, anyone's allowed to make a piece of plastic shape however they want, right And then if it happens to work with a switch to, what can we what can Nintendo do about it? But maybe there are rules in some territories that I'm not aware of, which is very likely. I'm not aware of most regulations. But it seems like the way my guess is But because Ginky is behaving this way and this is you know, it's a professional company with the you know, access to lawyers and things like that, I guess is they know that Nintendo either can't do something or what wouldn't do something because it's just not worth it to them because they would maybe just lose so that but you know, I think, you know, in the future, Ganky might want to work with Nintendo and this might be had. This might be taking that off the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you think this is this is Ganky playing a little bit of chicken because they want to get ahead of the game. Versus all these other peripheral producers out there, like a mad cats, et cetera. And if Nintendo were to pursue legal action, that would kind of confirm specs, like physical specs of the switch to that Nintendo would still want to kind of keep out of there. Oh, Kanky's like, you know, they're not going to fire out on us, So we'll just keep pushing the limits and Nintendo's gonna have to play ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that could be part of it, and I think it's the reality. The reality is likely the Ganky has a very limited piece of the information set and they're working from that, and Nintendo might have more bigger concerns of figuring out where those weeks were coming from in the first place, if they really care. But yeah, I mean, the people in Shataman noting that there's rumors that thing gets the thing gets announced next week, and that sounds plausible to me. It sounds but you know, we've heard that many times. Of course, we've heard that many times, and I've said before it sounded plausible because it did. But yeah, I think that by next week we could have all these answers, and as we always say, none of the things that have happened up to this point will be remembered or mattered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent, grub. I feel like Nintendo has unfortunate timing with real life events. We know that a certain thing in the United States is happening in two weeks, Nintendo should just do it next week to get ahead of the curve before anything worse happens.
Speaker 1: In America exactly, Yes, which is like, you know, I get all the uncertainty, but at a certain point you just got to act and and go with the go with whatever's happening there. Yeah. People are also once again pointing out from Chat thank You that Emron Cohn Game speeds Owned noted that Nintendo pr is finding a lot of the stuff going around to be very funny and that plan that their plans have not changed. And again, you know, my hunt here is that those plans are something's happening next week.
Speaker 2: So they they're they're making the watch then huh they make that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like it's funny because no one's mentioned the watch except for that jam guy. Uh, and everyone thinks he sounds crazy. So we got everybody right where we want them.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, come on, Nintendo cut the check.
Speaker 1: H There's more Nintendo rumors, this time involving Xbox. Xbox is planning big Nintendo Switch to support that includes Halo and Flight sim as well as more. This is from Nintendo Everything. Rumor has it that Xbox is gearing up for a significant amount of Nintendo Switch support, including its top tier franchises like Halo. Nate They Hate Nate Drake weighed in on what to expect during a new episode of his podcast. It's claimed that at some point we'll be seeing Halo the Master Chief Collection as well as Flight Simulator on the new console, as well as PS five Halo and the Master Chief Collection. Excuse me. Is not a new package, as it's first debuted nearly a decade ago. Man, it's been that long. But it's a big release containing campaigns for Halo Reach, Halo Combat Evolved, Halo two Anniversary, Halo three, Halo three Obst the Campaign, and Halo Four. There's also a huge multiplayer component with various modes game types in over one hundred and twenty maps. In general, it sounds like there will be a good amount of Microsoft support going forward for the new system. Nate says the company will be porting and patching the current switch lineup Grounded, Pentiment and or games which were previously associated with Xbox and are already on Nintendo Switch. However, it also looks like they'll be on switch to with four K support, and cfd's in Highfi Rush could be possible as well. They're already on PS five, so Nintendo switched to versions makes sense. And of course early on there were rumors that cfieves was heading to Switch alongside the PS five version, and maybe that was just always a mix up that that would be, you know, be a switch to version down the line. Yeah, this one is like, oh yeah, I mean they've had a lot of success putting games out on the PlayStation five. Switch is just a matter of getting the development up to a point where it's like it's easier to report those games to the Switch and now switch to And for master Chief, you know, the master Chief collection, that's an older game that just will could run on Switch once they probably just launch it on that. Yeah, not too surprised to hear this, how about you?
Speaker 3: No, not surprising at all. It feels like this has been rumbling for what feels like forever now. Grub as soon as Xbox announced that they want to expand game Pass to be outside of the Microsoft ecosystem, or at least start releasing their titles on other platforms. It still feels weird to me, to be honest, grub to the thought that Halo and will be on other platforms. It also feels weird seeing Xbox moving away from having really pushing the console first and now pushing software, pushing game Pass very very hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's you know, I think it's just recognizing that the previous trajectory, the previous strategy was not going to pan out the way they needed it to, which was, you know, putting the console first, putting game pass first. And I think they've they've tapped that out and or you know, burnt goodwill among people who are relying on the Xbox to to kind of prop itself up. Uh and like we spent a lot of money, We've got to make a lot of money. Uh. And and I think, you know, in terms of if their goal is to make a lot of money, they're going towards the PS five and switch with with video games that they're going to sell to people. It's a good way to make a lot of money. And so I think this is going to work. Kind of feels like, uh, you know the way that just things evolve naturally in the the world, where it's like you just look for the path of least resistance or the path that provides the biggest return on investment. That's what capitalism is supposed to do. And that is going to lead to a company being like, we kept trying to do this one thing where we kept things guarded for long enough, and now that we've put things out on these other systems, we are making a lot more money. We kind of have no choice and we don't feel like do anything else other than that. So yeah, they're going to keep supporting Xbox that still makes a lot of money. But yeah, this is just lines up with their current goals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you look at it on paper, the switch to is going to have a massive install base from the jump because of the excitement, all the rumors coming around, and maybe Nintendo won't have the software to support it other than a couple first party titles, maybe just kind of relying on that backwards compatibility that could happen, and that's where Microsoft could easily slot in and be like, hey, you got to switch to, why don't you play all of the halos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, even in Nintendo has a pretty decent launch, it's going to only have a handful of like very big games. And so when people are getting a switch to, they're going to do what they what they did with the Switch one. They're going to pick up you know, Zelda and maybe one other thing from Nintendo or maybe you know, their second game will be one of these smaller games or a game from a third party. The a lot of people you like to pick a bit launch, like you know, a golf story did really well in the first year of the switch because everyone's just behind everything on the Switch because they were so excited. So if you have these games ready to go for the launch of the switch to, you're just gonna you're gonna benefit naturally from that.
Speaker 3: As you said, yeah, and if getting online is not that a getting online is difficult on the Switch, but maybe if it's a more streamline experience on the switch to, something like Sea of Thieves could really take off and have like Another Life. I'm still very surprised that a lot of people are playing Sea of Thieves, but geez, proof this can be very good for Microsoft. Do you think they eventually try and bring a call of duty as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm they from that court case. They promised they would bring call of duty to switch, so they have to unless they want to get in trouble with regulators.
Speaker 3: So well, with that left mouse joy con, yes, huh, yep, that's uh because that's would be kind of a story.
Speaker 1: You just said that and I like popped in my head. So okay, So wait, the left mouse joycon, you put that on your right hand and use it over here. Does that mean you're then using the right joyc on your left hand to if you want to like move around in the world. It's like, I kind of get the sense that the mouse is gonna have to be used on its own and not like simultaneously with the joy con. But who knows, And again, could we could sound very silly in a week to six weeks, uh when this thing gets revealed and maybe there is no mouse support at all. It was just something else that has nothing to do with anything.
Speaker 2: It's a grappling hook. It's a grappling hook.
Speaker 1: Duh. Come on, everybody, all right, let's take a quick break. When we come back, we'll talk about the Xbox Developer Direct that has a brand new mystery game in it, Setsuscreen, Shadow Delayed and more. Right after this. Okay, we're back into it. Let's get to the next story here. Xbox Developer Direct announced for this month includes a brand new game. This is Fromanda mccuwitt game Spot. The next Developer Direct event is coming up soon. Microsoft has announced a new Xbox Developer Direct broadcast for January twenty third, and we'll feature a number of games like South of Midnight and Doom the Dark Ages, as well as a brand new game. The event takes place as as I said, January twenty third, at ten am Pacific time. It's expected to stream in all the usual places, and as they say here, we'll visit Compulsion Games in Montreal, Canada. To learn more about South of Midnight, head to Montpellier, France a see Sandfall Interactive for a look at Clear Obscure Expedition thirty three, which is that uh French final fantasy looking RPG that looks very cool.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Stopped by the legendary ID Studios in Richardson, Texas. Check in on Doom the Dark Ages, which I continue to be very excited about, and visit a surprise location to see another studios brand new game, Microsoft said. Microsoft did not say anything more about the myster what the mysterious game might be, but keep checking it back game Spot for more. Yeah, this is this is one where it's like, is this, you know, a brand new game? Is it a is it? Is it a remake? Because we did have those rumors earlier this week that something's going to be happening soon with Virtuos and the it's Unreal Engine five remake game, which is very likely Oblivion. Uh, you know that's a Microsoft joint. But they're saying brand new game, so maybe maybe this is something else. Uh, I don't know either way. I'm I'm pretty excited to watch this this this showcase later this month, mostly because of Doom, but I don't mind seem about Clare Obscure and you know, South of Midnight continues to look very fascinating as well. So yeah, it just feels like Microsoft's got a pretty decent year coming up, right in terms of games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm curious to see when they were saying another another students brand new game that means internal studio greb or you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm I'm gonna assume so, but I there's nothing here that like definitively says that jan.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I think the first time we saw a Path of the Goddess Kunitsagami, or maybe I got that title backwards, that game was at a Microsoft event. So I'm curious, maybe is this like a It could possibly be a partnership with an external studio that they're really pushing on game pass, because when I think of Kagami Path of the Goddess, there we go, we got it, right, I think of Xbox.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh and uh. I think I would have heard is Capcom and Sega continue to have a good relationship with Microsoft that their games they are doing pretty okay on those platforms. Microsoft pays them the right amount as far as they're concerned to be in game Pass when they do put their games in game Pass, like Kanitsugami was or continues to be. I think, yeah, so, so there's a chance that it could be something along those lines. And I think, you know, if a Sega or a Capcom has a game of Kanitsugami's scale announced, it here might make sense. You're right, So this could be just about anything, But I'm I think recently There's been very few complaints about the way Xbox has been running these developer directs. They are quick and snappy, lots of fast information and looks at games, and then they do deep dives later on the blogs or on YouTube videos or whatever. So I think that, you know, developers want to be in these showcases now. And yeah, like you said, could be anybody. I the very least, though, like I said, goodyear for Xbox. Overall. We're expecting Fables still a vouts coming out in a month. Oh you know, I think South of Midnight and Doom the Dark Ages are both tentatively scheduled for twenty twenty five, I believe.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's four big games right there for this year, and there's probably going to be more than that when it's all said and done. And I'm sure I'm actually forgetting some off the top of my head here. So yeah, feel feel pretty good about.
Speaker 3: Uh oh yeah the Barcraft Ghost Grub Yeah, coming there it is.
Speaker 1: They said Outer Worlds was coming this year right at the Game War twenty twenty five, so we saw that. Yeah, so five big games right there. Yeah cool, look looking forward to that because I feel like after Andiana Jones feeling much more positive about what Xbox is putting now. Yeah, hopefully they can kind of keep that going, all right, Assassin's Creed Shadows has been delayed again and will now launch in March, So about a month delay. This comes from Eddie or excuse me, Eric Hittleback Puru at Game Reactor. We all knew that at least one of the many high anticipated games set to launch in February or February was going to get one more delay, and the first one is decided to go into the Shadows. Ubisoft confirms that Assassin's Creed Shadows, that was originally meant to launch last November, has been delayed from the fourteenth of February to the twentieth of March. Now, what am I going to do for Valentine's Day? Jan The officially stated reason for the delay is to allow the team to better incorporate the player feedback gathered over the past three months and help create the best conditions to launch. Let's hope that means feedback from actual players and not those who keep complaining about the game being woke because it's of its playable characters. Another interesting thing in the press release is that Ubisoft also acknowledged that the company might be sold off to interested parties. Leading advisors have been appointed to review and pursue various transformational and strategic capitalistic options to extract the best value for stakeholders. And yes that's a quote from Yu's GIMIL. One of the negative consequences of this is that they were told that they are expecting to exceed two hundred million euro consequences of this in what the is that there were oh, no excuse me, in reduction of its fixed cost base. Basically, they're going to cut two hundred million euros worth of cost, which almost certainly means jobs. Jobs. Yes, I mean and you look at you be soft by the numbers they employ ooh and they make and so like this has always felt inevitable, and part of me is for as much of a trash fire that as you be soft is. Part of me is a little bit like happy that they have found ways to put off the massive layoffs the real and they've had big layoffs, but they still are nowhere near as lean as a lot of the other companies that they're competing against. UH and it feels like that's just going to break now and here it is, and again inevitable. They put it off for as long as they cook. They wanted to keep making games. They were the way they were gonna make. Uh and no, but hey, at least Eves Gamo might still be in charge. Jan Okay, let's talk about Shadows first, though. How you feel about a little bit of a delay.
Speaker 3: There, you know, I think ultimately it's going to be for the best for Shadows because that February window is already looking very very populated. The Monster Hunter audience isn't necessarily the same audience or the Avowed audience even isn't the same type of gamers that are going to flock to Assassin's Creed Shadows. But I still think it'll be best because Monster Hunter Wilds is bound to pick up a lot of mainstream hype, especially after how well World's performed Avowed. I think folks are going to go to it despite having zero marketing or zero hype for it. I forgot it was coming out next month.
Speaker 1: It's almost like, and it's weird. It's not gonna be in the developer direct but yeah, yeah, keep going.
Speaker 3: Right, oh geez, and then it's probably gonna be the best for Assassin's Creed to get out of those other big two games. I believe there's like at least two more, right, yes, yes, yes, yes, like A Dragon.
Speaker 1: Pirate, Yakuza in Hawaii, Right, incredible name.
Speaker 3: I love that team to get out of the way of that as well. Again, even though those audiences may not be similar, like A Dragon is still picking up a lot of mainstream popularity that.
Speaker 2: Maybe people are a little.
Speaker 3: Bit tired of the Ubisoft name, tired of Assassin's Creed, thinking that it may not be like a new fun thing. So getting out of that window when there are other new games could be good. But I believe they're also now going up against these Zeno Blade Chronicles re release.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not gonna be able to avoid everything, right, and it's like and they also don't want to go into the next fiscal year, which is why March twentieth is the release date, basically essentially the last day they could release it before the end of the fiscal year. Yeah, there's probably maybe another Tuesday. I think that's maybe a Tuesday that they could release it on before the end there, like the March twenty seventh, But I think they want to give it like a full week of sales at least in the fiscal year, and that means okay, March twentieth, and so it's like, Okay, we got to look around and yeah, there's other games coming out, but it's a little bit lighter than it was in February. Now you say that, but it's like a lot of those games that people are buying in February are big, beefy games they're likely still to be playing in. I mean, especially Monster Hunter, but who knows about a vowed and like a Dragon. I know it's going to be a side story, but those games traditionally have still been pretty beefy. People might still be busy and not ready yeah for this game still, but you know, it's maybe still better than just being in the Maelstrom. Now on the other side of it, them wanting to maybe like put this off because they're exploring strategic options and capitalistic options. That is sounds like, hey, we want to try to make a deal before this game comes out. And I've said this, I said this on the Blue Sky a little bit, but it seems to me that they're saying that we want to make a deal with someone like a ten cent or whoever before this game comes out, because we are we have a little bit more leverage in that case. Once it's out, whoever we're talking to, we'll just know what we are, know what we have, and we won't be able to sort of say, but hey, sure this is what we're doing. But we still have that coming. There's no real we still have that coming. After this game comes out. For Ubisoft, they have to reload and there's nothing going to be quite as big for them and maybe a couple of years. So it sounds like they're just trying to solidify and finalize whatever conversations they've been having, likely with Tencent. We'll talk about this more here in a second, before this game comes out. So it's like they're gonna give this game a little extra time and try to give themselves a little extra time to make a deal. Ubiself just continues to feel like it is, you know, spinning in every direction right.
Speaker 3: I can't help it's a grub I'm not a business man. I'm a business damn Sorry. It seems like there is one common denominator here despite all of Ubisoft's efforts, and after they've laid off people, several people, massive chunks of the team and remained lean and game after game and effort after effort not quite sticking the landing. Maybe the problem is they are very very top heavy, yes, yep. And maybe the capitalistic whatever efforts is perhaps the lack of effort to adapt from the tippy top.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that this top down strategy they had. I remember a what was the Grub Snacks The Grub Snacks Show to do. There was an episode where we talked about you Be Soft and sort of its strategy of shifting from having these big blueprint games, which is, hey, we're going to make we have a way that we make a game. We have way we make a far Cry, we have a way that we make an Assassin's Creed and a Ghost Recon, and we are going to stick to that formula, that blueprint, and we're going to make big Triple A games using that blueprint for years. And then they switched to, Okay, we're gonna have this mothership strategy where it is we have these big games that sort of have their own orbit, these massive ones similar to Rainbow six Siege, and then we'll have smaller games around it that sort of play on that theme like Rainbow six extraction and when and everyone's going, wait, what was it Rainbow six extraction And that's, you know, a very good example of why that wasn't going to work and hasn't worked. And they're kind of like shifting back to the blueprint strategy a little bit. These are like big brain ideas of like how we're going to take Ubisoft into the future, and they're not. It doesn't feel led by the creative teams that work at you'd be stopped. A lot of great creative people do work there, and I think that that speaks to what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think in any of our criticism, Grub, I don't think it has really been levied at the folks the developer side of things. That has primarily been at management, right, And I just think you Bisoft had such a cult hit like Rainbow six Siege and never really in my eyes, really capitalized off of it where they could have easily spun that out in maybe not to something at Fortnite caliber of levels, but like at least trying to capture like the Overwatch style of hype, because it is like a team v team type of game. Also, it's just insane, Grub how they fumbled the bag so hard with Prince of Persia as well. Where's Splinter said, well, where is Rayman grub Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, and I think it's kind of thing where it's like, hey, they let they let a team that was sick of a group of people within UBI stuff that was sick of working on Assassin's Screed games go work on Prince of Persia, and boy, look at what they could do.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: When that when they were able to just like sort of spread their wings and do their thing. Uh, And Ubisoft didn't support them, didn't know what to do with them, didn't know what to do with that game. And all of the successes for that game can be credited to the people working on it directly. All of the failures of that game can be credited to everyone above them. And it's just this stark contrast. This this like very good illustration of everything wrong with Ubisoft. And you know, now they have so much writing on Assassin's Creed Shadows, a game that could do very well or could just crash and burn. Feels like there's no in between. Yeah, And I don't endy them being in this position. They were victims a little bit of their own success. You know Whenchep pointed out that the blueprint format of making games in this style for Far Cry and Assassin's Creed worked for a very long time, a very long time, and so that's when and then they're like starting to see the right ingw on the wall that they couldn't do it forever. That is why they tried to switch to the mothership strategy. I get a weird name, but it was like the blueprint strategy did come from. Hey, there was some creative people working on Assassin's Creed that came up with some really cool ideas. They wanted to make this game. They were dead set on making this game. And then you had some new creative people who are like, now we're going to make Assassin's Creed too, and we're gonna make it even better, a better video game, just a video game, ass video game. And then that's going to set us up for a long time. All that stuff was driven by the creatives, and I just don't think you'd be soft has that operating at this moment.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: Grub Also, unfortunately, there's the public opinion as well. Whenever a triple a Ubisoft game comes out, gamers and players will just wait for that eventually go on sale, even maybe like a month later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they'll wait or they just won't even want to play it at all because it's Ubi Soft. There's too there's those two groups and they're equally loud to the groups that's like, I'm gonna wait till this thing is twenty five bucks, and then there's a group that's like, it's Ubisoft. I don't want ub slop.
Speaker 3: Right Yeah, And unfortunately, I'm hoping that they drop some of the you play stuff and just release things on Steam.
Speaker 1: Because they did say that that hasn't started yet, but they've said that they've been going forward they will begin doing that because it has been not successful.
Speaker 3: Right God, And like the problem is, I feel like a lot of people that have their criticisms against Ubi Soft Shadows, whether they're warranted or not, will still eventually pick it up, but they will one hundred percent wait for that game to go on sale a month if not six months down the line, or wait till the holiday season. Because, like I believe, there was a pretty not big, but a sizable bump Star Wars Outlaws during the holiday season.
Speaker 2: It had better because it was on.
Speaker 3: Sale because all that extra work had been done to kind of streamline loud about it.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, very good point. Yeah, just real quick. Ubisoft was asked about the ten cent rumors and has been very quiet about them, So that probably is what's happening. Probably, and they, you know, they're in that silent period where they can't legally say In many regions, they can't say anything because they would affect the stock prices of both companies. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to find something has happened here pretty soon the next couple of weeks before March twentieth, unless it falls apart, we'll see. Uh okay, Nintendo and Lego are collaborating on a new game Boy set. This is from Ali Reynolds at Nintendo Life. Nintendo has announced that it is collaborating with Lego to launch a brand new set based on the classic game Boy handheld, currently scheduled to launch in October twenty twenty five. The set follows on from the Lego NYS set that the companies launched back in twenty twenty. Presumably, however, it probably won't be quite so ludicrously ludicrously expensive, but we'll see you never know. Further details have not been announced to this time. They've basically just said this is happening in twenty twenty five and that's it. I'm not really great, a great any great images of it, no price, nothing like that. So we'll have to wait for all those details. But in the meantime, Jen, I'm I'm excited about this. I'm glad that they're continuing this partnership because I like that in any set. Even though I never ended up buying.
Speaker 2: It, I hate this, Grub. I have no money right now. That's why I want one, and I want this. I thought i'd be.
Speaker 3: I thought i'd be impervious to all of these stuff because like I saw that this thing. I saw that there's like a Lego Xbox. I'm like, oh, that's really cool. Well, I'm not gonna pick it up. But then they're going to do these handhilds, Grub. Yeah, these handhelds your boy loves and I just want to pick up a Lego game Boy.
Speaker 2: That sounds so cool, Grub.
Speaker 1: It's wild that they're like they hand the nes and just a few years later they made the game Boy. That's I mean, I know that they had been making the handhelds of like the game and watches and stuff like that before the NES. Even still in my mind it's like man making a dedicated cartridge based console handheld right after the NES and like now ever since it's just been handheld and a consolant all the switch which is which is both? Uh, boy, they got started early on.
Speaker 2: That, you know.
Speaker 3: The best part, grub is that the best and worst part. I've been fairly quiet about this. Uh. The best part is whenever they Nintendo or not Nintendo, Lego makes one of these fun sets specific like the NEYS one, this upcoming game Boy set, And if you look at any of their plant based not Lego's made out of plants, but they're they're like bouquet stuff. They're all pre existing Lego parts that have just been collared a different way. So if y'all want to, uh, just wait a bit, y'all can look at the Lego game Boy set that drops and you can get all the different pieces and order those piecemeal in a different caller, so you can get ahead of the game and get your purple game Boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's like the price per Lego is like for a generic Lego is like seven cents eight cents maybe now, and then if it's licensed, if it's like related to a property, it's like eleven cents, right, And that adds up very quickly when we're talking about one thousand plus pieces.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'll be right back, rub I need to show people this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please, absolutely all right, he's going to go get a show and tell I am. I'm glad they're they're doing this. I hope they continue to do it. This is probably one I will pick up myself. I also have just vast fondness for the original game Boy, the toaster, the DMG, the Dot Matrix gaming device. So I am definitely going to be picking this up, and then I hope they continue to go through with the follow up. I would love a game Boy Advanced one. A game Boy Advanced sp an En sixty four Lego one would almost certainly be something that I would make as well. Janis back, Okay, yeah, he's got the plant based lego.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: For folks at home watching the audio, I have the Birds of Paradise set in front of me.
Speaker 2: Botanical that's what That's what it was is.
Speaker 3: The fun thing is like this has the lego dirt in the pot and that's just a bunch of loose statt puns.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I just saw it as you were saying, And that's crazy.
Speaker 3: But like the birds of Paradise here, if you look like these are, this pointy part is just like what I believe was a walkie talkie from like a Star Wars set a couple of years ago. But also another part of their botanical collection is like one of these roses. They had three different designs for the roses here, and if you look on the inside, that is Indiana Jones's whip, but it's been colored red.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So hey, folks at home, if you want to save a little little bit of change, you know, just wait for someone to drop the part set and then just order it from there.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's and that's something that does happen in the community, right though the people people have frequently done that before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those freaks do that.
Speaker 1: I love those freaks.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Let's see here, last story, I have half life three fans think they finally found proof quote unquote that the game is coming. This is from Alex Hopley, a game reactor, and we've got folks who are down bad Jan, Let's help him out here. We've seen a fair few Half Life three rumors over the past few weeks. Now, while the game's existence has become more of a myth than anything else in the decades since the how since Half Life twos release, there is fresh belief that something is coming. And I will admit I am a believer, so I'm right there with these folks. I believe something's happening. But when you see stories like this, you got to be like, oh my god, are we all losing our mind now? As spied by eagle Eyed fans on the Valve Reddit, thanks to Eurogamer for spotting that, it appears that within steams back end, there are two games by Valve listed as upcoming. One is the hero shooter Deadlock, while the other is invisible. And I think there were rumors a few weeks back that there was a like friends and family test happening with this mystery game. Despite Valve's upcoming release section having two games, the second is nowhere to be seen. It's completely hidden. Well, this doesn't prove Half Life three's existence, It certainly does not. It doesn't disprove it either, which is all the excuse Valve fans need to go wild with conspiracy theories once more. Yeah, Jane, I don't know where you're at with all this. Does this sound crazy to you?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: I just let the half Life freaks get what they want. They've been waiting for so long grub. Yeah, And it's one of those things where I feel bad that we've had so many switch to rumors. And we'll eventually get the answers very soon. We're going to and then you know what, the Talent Hill freaks they got something last year, right, The half Life people need something.
Speaker 1: It's you know, Mike says this, Everything comes back eventually, especially something this large, this huge, that's important, And yeah, I think it's happening. Is that Is that the game that is in the back end that's being tested right now? You know what? I think so? I think so. But this is certainly not proof of anything. We'll we'll see, boy, we will see here pretty soon. Okay, we got the Internet's Mike Minatti.
Speaker 3: I don't think he knows it's Do you think he's just here for the BCR. I think he's here for BCR. Let's find out it's true. Okay, Well, we're still doing gay mess I.
Speaker 4: Thought you might be. And I saw Mitch come in here and I was like, oh, it must be over. Thanks Mitch, and show myself out. They got a showed to new Mitch.
Speaker 1: Thank you Dan Ryk here for being so considerate.
Speaker 2: Mike still hasn't left.
Speaker 1: Let's yeah, you can just hang out bye. All right, let's do the poll question from Uh, let's see it was a Wednesday, it was post it. Okay, let's not do the pull question. Then what was this? What do we yeah? What do we do? This one?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 1: Do you like the idea of using a switch to a joy con as a mouse? I don't remember if we did this one? Was that from how many episodes we do this week? We did that? And then ye yesterday? Yeah, I think that was from earlier this week. Uh. Still I'm in the minority on that one. I remember that. Now forty three said yes, okay, so we'll do we'll double up on the poll questions, the new one that we'll get posted here. That will be doubling up on for Monday. That's not Martin Luther King Junior Day. That's the following week, right, So yeah, for Monday, are you more likely to play Assassin's Creed Shadows with its new March release date. Yes or no. You know, even if it's like no, I'm gonna was gonna play it, just like I was gonna play before, that's still a no. So just yes or no. We'll get that up and you guys can vote for that on the giant Bomb page on YouTube. Go to YouTube dot com slash at giant Bomb. There's a community tab there. Click on that that'll get you there. You can vote on that. We'll get the results. We'll discuss them on games Morning's here on giant Bomb. Speaking a Giant Bomb, we are going to be doing a BCR here pretty soon. We got some fun stuff happening with that. We'll have a voicemail dump truck after that, we'll have a UPF after that. It's a busy Friday. We're gonna make up for a lack of stuff yesterday. So hang out with this all day to day. It's gonna be a lot of fun. Anything else that we should mention, jan.
Speaker 3: I hope, like we said at the tip top, I hope everyone affected by the LA fires is doing okay. I woke up to an earthquake today and almost pooped to my pants.
Speaker 1: There you go. Everyone in California's being punished or something, so.
Speaker 2: Sorry for being so hot.
Speaker 1: It's just because they're too hot. And and God is punishing you for it. Uh yep, with thoughts with everybody in La and uh and and now apparently the earthquake people in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Okay, do not pity us.
Speaker 1: Alright, fair enough, all right, I think that's gonna do it Forst. Janet show. And thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talk about video games. Man, I super appreciate it. Drugs mate, thank you everybody for watching and listening. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.