Speaker 1: To lose, finally got another win, this time at Hull. The Leeds and Waky match was far from dull. Wigan got back to winning ways. Warrington continue in a way that pays. Saint Helen's aren't too far off the mark Huddersfield. They might be appointing a shark. Welcome to the twentieth episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league, but it's also about poetry, the other levels of rugby league and John's trip to Paris. My name is Lee Addison.
Speaker 2: My name is John Davidson.
Speaker 1: We're recording this late because John was having vacaunts, as they call it in France. In France, he was in Paris. How was it, mate? And were you there to prep to lose? Is that why they beat Hull?
Speaker 2: No? No, I definitely wasn't there for that. Just a little spoiling of my daughter overseas holiday.
Speaker 1: And how was it? Did you have a good time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a great time, packed a lot in I had a lot of Pane chocolar and chroisssen begets. Yeah, the weather was great.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, I mean I've not been to parish for a long time. I've been a couple of times and loved it, but I would imagine it's even better now after the Olympics. Olympics there recently, a lot of things will have been upgraded, so it would be would have been a great experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hadn't been for I think twenty years. I don't really remember it, but as my sort of daughter's most properly first overseas trip, so she loved all the touristy staff and as there's so much to say him do in Paris, but no rugby league. Did watch a little bit of rugby on TV in the hotel, but there was there was no rugby league in Paris, but it will be in in a what mid June, sixth of June, I think when when Catalans play Wigan in Paris.
Speaker 1: I'm a coach in Australia and also the host of a few other podcasts, including the Rugby League Coach podcast and a guest on the Zero Tackle Loose Carry podcast. John a journalist in the UK, but as you can tell, he's got on Australian accent and if you want to know a bit more about us, read the intro in the in the comments in the podcast, or listen to some old ones. This podcast is being aired or on the Rugby League Coach podcast platforms asty Rugby League platforms, although we might stop doing that soon so please switch over to Rugby League Coach and Super League three sixty. But it's definitely on the Rugby League Coach YouTube channel two and thank you once again to Rugby League dot Com for taking it. So John, I feel like I'm educating you this weekend because I bet you've not seen a thing. So because both of us we were reporting on on Super League and we both neither of us were in the country where the games were played. So Leeds Rhino's the top on sixteen points and they are leveled with Saint Helens who were in second with sixty points. Warrington in third with fourteen, but they've played a game less, so you could almost argue those three teams are on or on even Steven's there. Hulkingston Rovers now in fourth, they've really recovered. They're on twelve. Wigan Warrior's got to win and they're on twelve, but they've played one more game than k Are and Warrington. Wakefield are in sixth on and they've played ten games are on twelve. Everyone else has played ten games. Lee and seventh with ten points, Catalans eight ten points, Hull left c ninth on eight points. York, Bradford and Toulouse and Castleford are all on six points in that order. Luddersfield Giants propping up the table on four points. It's a table starting to make a bit more sense. Now, John, do you think I think?
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: You think? Sorry? Sorry? Does it? I'll ask the question better? Do you think it flex the standards of the team? It's a bit better?
Speaker 2: I do. Let me just says the first and not to be too anal but I was in France where Catalans and Lee were playing, so was in a country of course, Yeah, of course, you know for the for the point of accuracy.
Speaker 1: I've heard, I've heard you can be quite anal job.
Speaker 2: Well, I got through to the keeper. Yeah, I do, I do, I do. Lee. Look, I think while there has you know, well, the years, there's always generally been probably eighteen that's maybe sprung up, you know, more recently, probably the last three four years, it's been whole car and Lee and Wakefield have obviously sprung up since being being promoted. But generally we have seen the mate that the same teams in the top six top eight region and yeah, I think there is at least I mean generally there's probably like three mini leagues, but there's probably at least a good two. When we look at the chunk of say Huddersfield casts Bradford York to lose, you might be able to throw someone else in there. And then you know, you've got teams that are either pushing at the very top or pushing for the six. And obviously the very top what we've got leads Saint Helen's Warrenton, you know, and not that far behind obviously, whole car building a lot of momentum. Wiggan still up and the rounds there, Lea, you're building some momentum now I don't know how many Wednesdays and the bounces at three. Yeah, I think we are seeing a bit of I was gonna say normalcy, but maybe maybe some more consistency. What we're around ten, so we're coming up to halfway through the year the season. Yeah, I think I think there's some point is to form. We're still seeing some unpredictable results and I think that's a good thing, and I think that goes to show that, you know, realistically, anyone can you know if they perform on the day, either that our parents are a little bit off ul you know, some decisions got away. They can get a result and you know you look at to loose what was that seven games? I think they'd lost a row and you know, a gritty, big result, a surprise, the result beating holf.
Speaker 1: C in home.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think to answer your question in a long rounded.
Speaker 1: Way, yes, no comment. Lee's laugh this week again this is Super League three sixty, but we do talk a little bit of an RL. But what I'm about to say does impact the Super League because the P and G are coming into the competition and they're on tax three dollars and the first signing of announces your own blue Eye, and the second signing that will probably announce is the greatest tri scorer in Australian rugby league history. So my laugh is about the meltdown from everyone else because they've signed Blueye, as if as if that wasn't going to happen, as if somebody, as if they weren't going to sign anyone. I think the reaction action has been that somebody's outsmarted them. And because it's Jerome Leueye and because of the impact that will have on potential other signings, I think the league is in panic mode. Now what does this mean for Super League? Well, we've already talked about the problems with the lower echelons of Super League for those who didn't tune in to after the hooter on Friday, I decided to launch into some statistics about how many of our lower sides and the Super League are struggling in terms of score lines now and the big dip in April, and a lot of that comes down to injuries, but also it comes down to caliber of players already in the Super League. There is so many There are so many players that are of Queensland Cup or New South Wales Cup standard in Australia, or they've played at best one or two NRL games and they are prominent players in Super League clubs. That's before we add Perth and PNG to the mix. And again I don't want I'm not being wise. After the event here on the Ashes Rugby League pod that we did before this and this Super League pod, we've talked about this. This is going to have a massive impact on Super League because some of the better players that may have come to Super League, so Louie will see out his career now at PNG. You would imagine some other players who are coming into the sunset of their careers might consider going to PNG for a year or two instead they used to go to Super League. Now they can go to PNG for some tax three dollars and really make their fortune for the rest of their lives. So it's Lee's laugh. But it's all sold a warning shot to the Super League because they're going to get the dregs of all this. So there's now if you think about all these state league players that are looking for opportunities in Super League, well there's going to be two brand new franchises that are playing in the Australian competition, so they're even less likely to come to Super League.
Speaker 2: Now yeah, yeah, And you mentioned Perth and they never already signed what for England Internationals And I think I put out, you know, a video of Chris Radlinsky's comments and talk about a feeder league, and that upset quite a few people. But the fact is it's not a feeder league in the sense that all the English players are going to go to the NRL. They're just cherry picked the best ones, so the England internationals, so you know, generally, apart from the foreigners, the best players in Super League are those who are picked for the England team or in contention for the England team, like we say Jake Connor. So yeah, it'll be the same with P and G in the same that I think they'll sign and I don't have any inside information, but I imagine they will sign some of the clueals who are playing in super League and at a lone of Broncos now and that will then again weekend super League in the English game because players are going to go where the opportunities but also where the money is now, super League will still get some but we've seen this this season or last season and the fact that there's no foreign quota in the championship. So you could say, for example, Oldham they could rock out with you know, seventeen Australians if they wanted to. They probably couldn't afford to do that, but well particularly they couldn't afford to it at the moment as they're own stepping away. But we'll get to that in a minute. You know that just doesn't help the fact of development or pathways in the English game. And I think because participation in the mail game has been dropping for some time and the pathways, the development systems have not been invested in, they've not been supported. There's been really no strategy to change that. This is all interconnected, isn't it. It's not single factor. All these factors work together. The fact that the publicity, the national profile of rugby league in the UK has fallen off the map that then affects the grassroots because less kids are turning up to play at under tens or under elevens, and then then less kids make that step from you know, fourteen fifteen sixteen to scholarship and their academy, and then there are less kids to pick from when you know when they want to turn professional. So it all feeds into each other.
Speaker 1: And if the message isn't loud and clear to the English Super League side, develop your own youngsters, because there's going to be less and less ausies for you to pick up on. And also some of your better youngsters go off to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think and I think that the counterpoint is that as even before that, we need to get kids just picking up footies and playing you know under tens and elevens. We need to you know, the whole thing with touch football in England. You know it's run essentially by rugby union, and that is you know, it was created by rugby league. It's rugby league without kicking and tackling. It's much more like rugby league than is rugby union. But they run it and that should be used as a vehicle to get kids playing, to build skills, and then when they're a little bit older they can introduce contact. But that's another development tool that's kind of just been laid to waste or ignored in England. But we need to get more people playing generally and then we also at the same time we need to invest in those scholarship academy in those pathways and then you know we'll have more in a professional game. But it is a pyramid, isn't it, And we're not really feeling to the top, and the top is suffering, but the bottom is also suffering, and you know, you could argue that the middle has been suffering for a long time without really any change or improvement.
Speaker 1: The Rugby League tweet of the week and your tweet of the week I think was what you said was an exclusive on Daniel Holdsworth potentially becoming the Huddersfield Jounce coach. What if you got to tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Yes, So to get I'm got to tip off on Saturday when I was in Paris, was.
Speaker 1: Somebody just in somebody in France just walked past year and when monsur it wasn't David, Yeah the name for a minute then and then I had to French David. So I believe.
Speaker 2: I believe he's the number one candidate to get the job. I don't think an appointment has been made yet, but I think he's he's in line to get the job. Holdsworth obviously uh former Salford holl f C player, hope for the Doggies, played for St. George l Ware and I think Ranala. I don't know Daniel personally, but I've heard he's, you know, good coach, decent guy. He did apply for the cast job last year, didn't get that, and he's been in the lower grades and with the first grade at Cronala for I think about a decade. So yeah, it's going to be well. As we saw in the weekend, another loss, it's going to be a very tough gig for him.
Speaker 1: Do you think he'll come this year or do you think he'll see out the here on Cronol or if he got the job.
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. I'm not sure. I think I think I think they probably would would let him go. I know they've got Steve Price in there as an assistant Akron and have got Freddie Mitchell act the former French rugby union Yeah, yeah, the French connection. But yeah, I think I think, like with Josh Hannay, they would. They wouldn't stand in his way of furthering his career. So yeah, I mean that Huddersfield got They sacked Luke Robinson in March, so it's been a good two months. I think Liam Finn got those first two wins and off the top of my head it might be three losses now in a row, maybe more. But yeah, I mean Haddersfield. We talked a lot about Haddersfield on this podcast somewhere. They've got a lot of issues off the field, you know, stadium, fan base, who's running the club. We could just go on and on. They're not They're unleashed, so hopefully hopefully Holdsworth can get them off the leash and improving on the field for.
Speaker 1: Those of you not watching. And I was smiling a very big, cheesy grin because he said unleashed Johnny's job this week I've gone with for you because you just don't. You don't tell me what your job is now, so I just decide which one is The Sport Journalism Awards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think it's not a job so much. But I went down what was it? Well, a week ago I was shortlisted for Rugby Journalists of the Year, which was a very nice honor, was ending the ipaper from my work for them last year. And yeah, went down for the awards, which was a great night. They played in theater and soho kind of be street. But what was surprising for me, and obviously it's a rugby union journalist kind of agree, I was the only rugby league journalist and I don't from what people told me, like the Sports Journalism Association Awards don't really have any rugby league and is a little bit surprising. I think, as you know Lee, you know you lived in Wigan and you're from Salford. If you're in kind of a rugby league bubble, particularly in the North, you probably don't necessarily see how the rest of the country views rugby league or you know what the state of plays. And I've lived in South Yorkshire for well fourteen years and it's not a rugby league area. It's close to rugby league areas, but it's a football area. It's Sheffield and iitan Sheffild, Wednesday, Barnsley, Rotherham United, et cetera. And it just, yeah, rugby league has no presence, you know, at those awards and really nationally in terms of London. I mean one one sports hader said to me, you know, leagues are dying sport and that is the view I think from Fleet Street. And there was someone else I won't name who who was there but used to work in rugby league and he was He sort of said to me on the night, you know, rugby league needs more of this, like you know, people in the national sphere and you know, attention, but we just we don't have it. So it is it is a real concern. And the other part of that is because I think people are in the bubble, they're quite deluded about where the sport sits in the national consciousness.
Speaker 1: Well I saw something the other day that explained some of the reasons for why the NRL's figures might be up, because it's easy and quite lazier thing just to say it's because of the way the games played, the faster roucks, the more tries, the higher school lines.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it's also been pointed out to me there's four million more people in New South Wales and Queensland than when the NRL started in nineteen ninety. It's also been pointed out to me there's one and a half million more Foxtel subscribers than five years ago. So any any any boosting in views that they've had via koor or whatever. And then of course we have algorithms. We've got the way people consume sports content now so they don't necessarily watch it at the same time as the game being on. Things like that, So and algorithms also influence what we consume. So I don't know about you, but on your Instagram account, if you click on something twice, next thing you check your search and it's just flooded with those things and be able to say, it's needless to say all mine and museum artifacts and things like that. John on my Instagram, Yes, there's no skinny club women.
Speaker 2: I think that that's actually part of the problem though in the moral world, is because you you're just in your own bubble, aren't you in your own echo chamber? So you know, if you're if you're leeh Edison and you're into wrestling, then you will get fed wrestling content and you won't you know, you won't probably find it unless you go out and you know, seek general mainstream news. It's actually harder to find. So I think that's part of the problem. But on the NRL point of view, I think that is definitely part of it in terms of Foxtel subscribers and population, but it's also that media market in Australia which has changed a lot since the mid nineties. And I can't remember Super rugby started and was massive, you know, it was so popular late nineties, early two thousands. You know, there was the Rugby World Cup in Australia which was big, and rugby league in Australia was coming out of Super League War and there was still this kind of fragmentation and there wasn't Fox League. And since then, you know, with Fox League and you know, the rise of certain you know, whether it be three six NRL three sixty or you know, Triple m's coverage is just really a kind of feeding frenzy of media and rugby league that helps just push it into the consciousness across Australia. And that's really turbo charged things as well. And I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna say Channel nine, Channel nine or Foxtel also do a lot to promote the sport because it's their content and the want people to watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Channel seven do that with AFL, don't they. So it's a kind of a they pushed the sport, more people watch it, they make more money. It's a perfect sort of circle. And the other point, I think that the Animal did a while ago which was quite smart, which was apart from the Independent Commission, was taking over touch footy, taking over oz tag and then pushing them as safe as forms of the game. And they've really invested in the women's game. I mean, what was the I watched a fair bit of the women's State of Origin on what was the Thursday night, which was a very It wasn't the most entertaining game. It was very tough and very physical and tight, but didn't have something like the reach was like two million through the air or it was like crazy.
Speaker 1: You know million was a million I think yeah.
Speaker 2: In terms of ratings, I think it was one of the highest. The women's game in Australia is just getting bigger and bigger and better and they're really good at pushing that. And the other layer just I know this is along with the long winded answer, but the other layer underneath that, and that's connected to kind of the changing content and social media is there's so many independent media platforms now in Australian rugby league, you know, whether it be Hello Sport or Levels or James Grahame's by around like that. Just it's just rugby league content twenty four to seven, isn't it? Like you couldn't said this to someone the other day about like podcasts and we're just another one of eighty billion the rugby league podcasts. But you couldn't listen to every every podcast or no, could you. There's literally not enough time of the day. So compare it to I remember when I was in high school, well I was, I don't know, thirteen fourteen, didn't you know, Fox League wasn't a thing. I think I didn't have we didn't have PayTV and even they didn't show every game anyway, So you get I don't know, two out of eight games a week or whatever it was on Friday, you get Friday Night Footy, you get Someday night fuddy. I used to listen to two GB, the Continuous Call team, you know, while I was studying or whatever, you know, because I was into Rugulu. But now you could just have on your phone. You can just have a million different voices and whatever. So it's the media market has changed so much alongside that.
Speaker 1: So with this in mind, if the NRL doesn't invest in Super League, and you wrote a story last week about they might be meeting at the Magic Round, so if that doesn't happen, where's the game going to go?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I can't I can't say too much about who I've been speaking to. But my fear is, and I think this is quite justified, but my fear is that the NRL could look at all this and now looking at it and just go, well, this is too This has put this in the too hard basket. Because Andrew rab Joe and I interviewed him a couple of weeks ago, it was like, you know, we need unity, we need everyone to get behind board this and that's as you really in the UK, that's not the case. You know, there's owners and clubs against it, there's a lot of fans against it. There's a lot of fans for it and a lot of owners for it, but there's a lot of people more interested about themselves and their own power than the good of the sport. Now. If it doesn't happen with the NRL, and I think that is a real serious fear. I think we're rooted, and by rooted, that's an Australian expression, screwed, buggered, whatever you'd like to court, because there needs to be investment in the sport in the UK and there needs to be changed and I don't see where that investment comes from. If it doesn't come from now on, I don't see where the expertise to actually run robiality comes from. Because IMG you could say they've improved some things, but it's not been a resounding success. And the main thing really is the money side of things. So TV deals on down club owners are propping up the sport. The governance is an absolute joke. The RFL not fit for purpose. So if the NRL doesn't put in money and helped to tell him things around who can in private equity. I don't think A is actually credible at this point, and B would not work.
Speaker 1: And then that would mean if the NRL did not go ahead, that would be them and Eddie Hearn. That has taken a look at things and back to way well Eddie her in quite recent history.
Speaker 2: The interesting thing with Eddie Hearn is that I think, you know, what was it five or six years ago, seven years ago he had a meeting and I think it was a bit of a face saving me. I don't really know how credible or deep the talks were, but he wanted everything. He wanted the whole sport. They wanted to sort of give him the challenge cup. That didn't happen. He just said, well, you know, that's fine, and he's made some comments. It's actually really interesting that recently he's just signed up Henry Pollock and a load of rugby union players, so he's getting he's really getting getting the back rugby union. And you can like the Hearns, you cannot like them what they do, et cetera, et cetera. But one thing the Hearns and a Head is very good at is publicity and making money.
Speaker 1: And look what they've done with the darts mate. I mean, yeah, darts has always been quite a big sport, particularly in the eighties, but it did drop off the radar somewhat and now it's back in prominent again. And you know, Luke Littler could walk down any street in England and be recognized. I'm not sure Stuart Littler, could you know? So I know player?
Speaker 2: And no yeah, no rugby league player. No, no rugby league player in the UK of the last ten to fifteen years. Could I mean, maybe Gevin Sinfield on the back of his charity work, maybe Sam Burgess partly on the back of his time in rugby union. But yeah, there is a profile for this, But darts, I just don't. I don't get it. Lee. You know, it's fat blokes throwing you know, a dart on a wall. If that's sport, then I'm you know, a monkey's uncle. But that's how good the Hens are the major to turn into that into you know, a massive event that makes a ton of money. Watch gets millions on TV. It's getting you know, primetime slots on Sky that rugby Lee used to get doesn't get anymore. Yeah, it's it's mad.
Speaker 1: So yeah, John says, you know band which is low. John it says your network bandwidth is low. So and your screen has gone really small, which isn't going to be good for our YouTube video. So is anything? Is anybody downloading anything at your house or anything on the.
Speaker 2: Business is probably downloading some some dodgy things. But we'll ignore that or we can blame, we can blame and brexit. But yeah, I think I don't think rugby league is dying in that sense. There will always be a professional game in the UK, but it's certainly diminishing and it's certainly not growing. And that's the worry from my point of view, is how sort of the malaise, shall we say, is turned around. I'm just going to send you a picture of what you look like on my screen so you know I'm not overreacting. No one wants to see my face anyway.
Speaker 1: It might affect the recording, that's all. Oh you're back, you're back. George Marsden debuted for Wigan. Tell me about that, John.
Speaker 2: Yes, seventeen year old kid made his debut against Bradford. I think he had well might have been one crisis, but he played a hand in setting up a couple of tries him and Jack Faramon. I think Jack Forman might be twenty, but they were the youngest harvest partnership for Wigan for forty one years, since Sean Edwards and Mike Ford in five and he just looked really, really tidy, confident kid. It was kind of interesting because you see Joey Walsh the other day for Menley and this kid, then you go, oh, the future is bright, but yeah, really really a sure debut. And then you just look at that Wigan team and I know they've had some issues this season, but you look at the longer term, you know, and they've got Hopkinson at fullback, They've got Eccersley on the winger and Satos, they've got Marsden and Pharamon in halves. They've got Forborough at hooker, and there's a few other young players around like that. That succession playing for Wigan his first class in that academy. And you know, you've worked at Wigan, you know how they do it, and I think they are the best in England to do that. And it just goes to show that there is really there is talent in England and there is you know, some real prospects, but we just need we need more of them at everything.
Speaker 1: You need to nurture it properly. Look, if it wasn't for a club like Wigan, and of course you can put Leeds, Warrington, Saint Helen's in those brackets too, I'd hate to think where the game would be. I mean, can you imagine how many Wiganers are playing it? All the Super League sides, other Championship sides, or the Australian sides.
Speaker 2: I'll give you. I'll give you at the top of my head. So you go whole, Kay, are you go guild Art, Joe Burgess, you go Lee, you go Hanley, Josh Charley, Jack Hughes. Was it Wigan originally? You go Warrington? You've got Sam Powell, You've got Liam Byrne, You Leeds, you've got James McDonald. I mean our phenomenal Wigan and yeah, as you mentioned camera, you know you've got Smithy's, You've got Nicholson. Yeah, it's a phenomenal system. But we need that replicated across the league, across the country. Yeah, pathways. I mean, if we're going circling back to NRL partnership and what they need to do for the game. The wish list of what they need to fix the game is massive, so they can't. If it does happen, they can't. And I think they understand the same way. Pathways and development is.
Speaker 1: Huge well left, so you might not have a ground to play up I read today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a kind of message about it. It's fundly quite an explosive Whole City fans for them, and I haven't really followed the fortunes of Whole City for a while, not since Jackson Irvine played for them and I went over and interviewed him for a soccer story many moons ago. But they don't have the best relationship Whole City in Whole FC, do they. They don't like each other and they've shared that ground, I think for twenty three years, and Whole's leases up, I believe. I think it's the end of next year, and I think the Whole City really want to piss them off, which would leave them with a big issue where they play in the city, because apart from Craven Park, which I don't think they'd be allowed to play that, I don't know where else they go. So yeah, it's personally. I've been to the m k M stadium for many years. I don't think it's the greatest thing. I mean, the press facility is a joke. You're literally in the heavens. With my poor eye sight, it's hard to body see. But yeah, that's a concern for them because it's not a great stadium setup in that that they share the stadium and that whole city seem to have the more dominant, say in a partnership you look at you know, we mentioned hardest Field before. It's kind of a similar set up with Huddersfield and that now the Huddersfield town have full control. And I think they're obviously I mean that stadium is too big for hord to for Giants, but they want them out as well. So stadium thing, stadium ownership and deals in primacy of tenure is a is a very big thing in the sport.
Speaker 1: I was going to say they could play at the Circle in Hold, but I think that's the MK state because the Circle is where some Westfall juniors used to play and I remember playing one of the toughest games of a rug the league ever played there. So I don't have any answers for them. I'm sorry. Maybe what they could do they could get Bill Quinn as chairman because he's left all.
Speaker 2: Of them our old friend Bill Quinn. Yeah, I guess we're very be careful because he says he's sick and he's standing down and I don't want to challenge and say that is incorrect because I don't have any information to the contrary. But it is an unusual situation because he came out with all those videos slagging people off and off and is.
Speaker 1: That the one where he's spoke in the third person A lot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there was a lot of Bilkins here to stay and I'm fighting and then how he's going. So look, I think I don't know how frank we can be lee. But it's been a massive Oldham for a couple of months, you know, the whole Mike Ford thing stepping away because they fell out and then yeah, Bill Quinn sort of on his rants and alienating everyone, taking the club out of Boundary Park because he fell out with Oldham Athletic and sued them or they're in litigation. I think, well, what I've been told is that there's two or three groups who are looking to take over Oldham. Now I think one of them may involve Mike Ford. But I haven't had that con so I think in terms of the long term future, the club should be okay. But this isn't other case of this kind of mad ego centric owner who takes over a club and then just goes on this kind of Donald Trump like you know, escapade to rant and rave and basically do whatever they want. And I think we obviously need wealthy benefactors. I'm not I'm not saying we don't, but we also need wealthy benefactors or understand like they may own the club, but without the fans and the players, there is no club. Like it's it's more than just a play thing, you know, for for one individual. And I think you've got to be conscious of you know, when you go out in a Facebook live or whatever and you're like having a go at your own fans, it's not a great it's not a great look. No. So yeah, Bill Quinn, I understand years ago he had Oldham and then he stepped away and and he's come back in and now he stepped away. It's yeah, it's a pitiful Never they never disappoints, doesn't they.
Speaker 1: Sheffield Eagals moving ground and the fans aren't happy about that. I think you mentioned that after the hoot, didn't you the other day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was announced last League. I think the what my understanding is they do and I had a story on this couple of months ago, they do want to move to a site at Woodburn Road, which is near at a Cliffe Way, So this seem I think is a temporary move to john Field. But yeah, I think the other part of Sheffield is is just like what is happening with that club, you know, like long term the ownership, They don't do interviews, The fans are really in the dark, they're not really happy. Crowds have gone under. It's sort of another club in the championship.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's happening in the championship full stop. I mean we've had Wales, We've got also who ended up in there.
Speaker 2: Well, another one has witnessed. There's a lot of rumors, you know, a director stepping away not that long ago, and about budgets cut for next year. I had another I had a message while I was away from you know, another club, just saying, you know about how the seasons the shambles, the way it's you know, teams are not playing for three or four weeks. You know, it's just yeah, it's really fallen off the map. So I think that this is another indication, and we talked about in our own partnership. Again, excuse me, sorry, I'm just dying over here. The RFL is talking about a salary cap for the Championship, and that's all well and good. It definitely needs one, but it should have had one, you know, ten years ago, and it should have actually a strategy and actual marketing behind it. They can't seem to get a TV deal for the Championship, but what they could do is they could do, okay, every week we're doing I don't know, a Sunday night game or whatever, and put it on YouTube and promote it, do it properly. You know that there's so many things you could do with the Championship which they don't do. Yeah. I think there's a lot of people in the Championship fans, players, owners, et cetera, who were just kind of throwing the hands up and saying, what.
Speaker 1: The hell is going on?
Speaker 2: Because this this season, you know, what's happen to Feurston, Halifax, North Wales. You know, I think Barrow had to do a crowd fund and get their bus to London. I mean you put all these things together m hm. And you know people who will accuse me and you were being negative, but you'd have to basically stick fingers in your in your eyes and in your ears and just go la la, la la la, nothing's happening to not really just see what's happening, you know.
Speaker 1: And when you said you were dying there, John, I think that might be the brightness coming from your thing. There might be the Lord Almighty calling you up from the window. The sun is shining, so it might get you pull you pull your blind down there. You might be getting calls from above. Mate.
Speaker 2: You know. You know what's funnily is actually it's quite overcast.
Speaker 1: Right right while you're doing that, I'm going to give a shout out from some mates, say in America who were doing the Rap Pack podcast. So I was involved with the USA John when it was the original crowd. So David knew Bobo who actually used to work with Mayor Guliani actually who apparently is not very well in hospital right now. America's Mayor David new Matt Astell, Jeff Preston, and Marcus vassal Acopolis, a lad not that far from the parish in which you reside. And they're doing the rat Pack podcast and they're based in the USA and they can find you can find them on rat Pack Rugby League, rat Cap rat Pack Podcast. I think it is on Instagram and YouTube and everything else. And they're all mutters. They're all mutters. But they were the old g's Yep, they were They were the ogs. They were the ones who who made rugby league in America achieved some of its greatest things before the Land has even thought of going to Las Vegas. Okay, the last round, we'll go backwards because after John visited France to lose, were inspired to beat Whole FC twelve four. Briscoe was the only one to score for Whole and they didn't even kick the goal. Ash Old Bolt score, ash Old Bolt scored, Bot scored for is it bot or Bolt? Ah Holt or Bot? But ash All Bot, who seems to score every week and I still don't know his name, cat Or scored the two tries and two goals from Shoricks and WHOLEFC could have moved into the top half of the league if they won that, And I guess there's something to be said there. Well, why did that happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good question. I mean the thrash cast o the week didn't I they just looked really poor. I mean to lose scored, I think after five minutes, got that early start game a lot of confidence and they really topped it out. Yeah, but that's a very poor I mean it's great for to lose. They get their own big big result from them to break down losing Street. But yeah, a bit pretty embarrassing for ALLFC.
Speaker 1: James Valley wrote in and said it's maybe a truer reflection of what will happen to HULLFC now after losing it home to to lose their performance at cast might have been there sendoff to John Cartwright. Assisted by Castleford's mediocrity. Huddersfield were another team that only managed four and Warrington rapped up thirty four. They had twenty eight by halftime. Huddersfield scored through Swift and didn't kick the goal. Warrington, Hoppowarte King, smith Stone, Philbin and Ashton scored their tries. Snaid scored five. I've got a good feeling about Warrington. I think they're going to be there or thereabouts this year. I just like the look of them from what I've seen, and five unanswered tries in the first half probably meant they took their foot off the a little bit in the second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, looking at social media, I think Mark Wilson said, you know, the was it the first half of the second half is like the worst game a full time. Apparently it was pretty dire stuff. But looking at the highlights that Warrington, yeah, I agree with you. I think with Warrington, you know, they've been up the top fourteen most years, for what sixteen years? I think they really and they've won Challenge Cups in that time and they made it to grand finals. But they need to they need to get a premiership down a an Eddy Grand Final win and I don't know if this is the year, but I think they've definitely got the team to get to Old Trafford. You're losing George Williams is a big blow, but you and Irwin he looked really good for himton a couple of triasis again another young halfback sot of saying, like you know, we're always negatively but there are there are some really great young players out there and it's great to see them shine and play with confidence. He's you know, when you get wraps from Andrew John's that's pretty high. And I know we talked about him the other week as well. Hopper the other Hopper again just scoring, try looking great. And Josh Smith we talk about reserve graders from the Q Cup, but he's been a great frie from Brisbane East, from your neck of the woods. I think he might have been Q Cup Player of the Year last year, but he's been really good. So yeah, Warrington another great. You know, they've they've got a whole can and Challenge Cup this weekend which is a massive, massive game. But Huddersfield they really need to if they're going to hire I don't know, Holdsworth, they need to get him in now. And they also need to start recruiting for next year because they're going to miss the boat and that is just a circle of Huddersfield just staying in that bottom.
Speaker 1: Maybe they need to offer tax three tax three pounds.
Speaker 2: How do you get I mean, you're you're you're the Englishman, you're the Englishman, Lee, how do you get people to Huddersfield?
Speaker 1: Relocate them to Monaco? The I've given you too much credit. I said you went to France to talk to the to lose coach and that's why they won. I think you went to catalan because they lost thirty three eighteen at home to Lee. Sexton and making Some scored the tries for Catalans and making some got two of them. Sexton kicked three goals. Lee scored thirty three. There were ten to six up at halftime. Charlie got too often, Gali scored one, Trout Holt and Cook six goals and drop goal as well from Cook. That's three Super League wins on the bounce for Lee.
Speaker 2: I think your geography is as good as my missus is. Because Paris is now in the.
Speaker 1: I know that, but it doesn't mean you didn't fly down there, John.
Speaker 2: No, I think look at Catline's again, just very inconsistent, you know, a bit rundless for their coach walking out on them. Yeah again another club that really needs well, it's a lot of things and it needs to be not paying a million quite a year for other teams, travel costs, suspiders, but for Lee. Look, I think now they've got their players back, they've got their spine back, David Armstrong finally back after being out for so so long. They are building a bit of momentum. They have got some of the good players there. And we're talking about Q Cup and you said, Well's Cup players and Adam Cook I think is been pretty poor most of this season, but he had a big, big game against Catlan's lovely cutout pass, cut out pass for one of the tries and maybe he's finding his feet now. So it'll be interesting to see how much of a run League can make, you know, can they finish in the top six, could they finish in the top four. They've got a bit of work to do, but they've certainly, you know, with Lock and Lamb and a Pape and Joe often Galway and some of the players there, they've got some some really good players who could push them at the table.
Speaker 1: Wigan ended their four match losing streak. They scored thirty eight with tries from Eckersley, two from Field, three from Hodgkinson and one from O'Neil. Keran kicked four goals and farram and kicked a mother. Bradford they scored fourteen, so Wigan one thirty eight fourteen against Bradford. Fulton scored for Bradford, Ryan scored too and Atkin kicked the goal look, I saw a bit of this game and Bradford were never in it. They looked Bradford looked very much like the team that is struggling with bodies and struggling in a division that they probably shouldn't have been in this year.
Speaker 2: I mean, a fun trial. Wasn't a trial? Was it? He knocked down on, didn't he?
Speaker 1: I think? So, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I think you know, Bradford are struggling with a lot of injuries, player depth as you said, and Wigan missing quite a few players. But I think it was the you know, we already talked about the next gen for Wigan, getting them over the line and breaking that losing run that I've had, which is a perfect time because I've got Saint Helens and the Challenge Cup semi final and that is a massive game. Like you know, we're going to have copped a bit for the last four or five weeks. I think there was some crazy stat where they hadn't lost like five games in a row. Sure, I can't remember if it was ever or in the eighty something years, it was something crazy. But look, if I think if Wigan beats and Helens next weekend and get to Wembley. You know a lot of that noise and everything dies away, doesn't it. And I think I think Smith is back from his suspension on next week and dry Field it seems to be hitting. You know. He was pretty pretty dynamic, wasn't he against Bradford. So yeah, important result from Wigan. I think most people expected Wigan, even though they'd been on a losing run, to get the win, and Bradford are just holding on at this point.
Speaker 1: Mike croceive O twelve. The rest of the Leeds team twenty eight, Wakefield twenty two. Good game, good game between a good game between Leeds and Wakey. Again. I saw a bit of this and Wakey went so with him and then Leeds just kicked away at the end. Like I said, Sevo scored three, Watkins got one and Cross scored two tries. Conner kicked eight goals. Wakey there twenty two came from Pratt, Lolas Ao and Mayer's got two. Lino or Lino scored three. That's micros Evo's fourth super League got trick of the years. He's like the Earling Harland of super League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and one of them he went over to Wakefield players. One of them I could have scored basically put down, but I think I don't know if you saw the I'm trying to remember who which Wakefield players hit. Did he hit with his head? He got a yellow caigh for it. I think he was probably lucky not to get a red for that. That was a that was a bad one and I won't be surprised if he gets a band. It was a strange game and that Leeds had three players in bind and still sort of won relatively comfortably. But you're right, Wakefield had a real dig and Jade and Myers on the wing. I don't know if you saw the shimmy that he did on Ryan All. He sent Ryan All left right, left right, It was brilliant. He's a he's a good, good young player. Myers on the wing. But yeah, Leeds again just getting it done. Big, big crowd at Headingly it looked like. And yeah, they're cruising along very nicely Leeds. I mean, I think they'll be kicking themselves that they got knocked out of the Cup and they're not playing this weekend, but they have that week off at this point of the season is very good for them. I'm not sure off the top of the man who they play in two weeks time. But yeah, they've got They're probably the club that's got the most fit uninjured players at the moment, and I think that's true.
Speaker 1: It was Waky that knocked them out the corp too, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: It was in the blackout game, the old twenty minutes when the lights dropped out. Yeah, we love that. But yeah, leads to leads are flying high. And Brodycroft, I think he was around one of the questions that we had as well, wasn't he Lee? Brodie Croft is having a great season, scoring a ton of tries. Now, I've heard so many rumors about Bradycroft. He's either going to Perth Bears, he's staying at Leeds, he's resigned with Leeds, or Warrington having a chat to him about replacing George Williams.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if any of those are true. I've had denials and whatever. But yeah, he's certainly having a very good season at Leeds this year Brodi Croft, and I think that that partnership with him and Connor works quite well.
Speaker 1: The York Knights, I know we've talked about the newly promoted sides or sort of clump them together with Castle orders Field. But I do feel like the York Knights are punching a little bit above their weight. Still, I think they're going quite well because the score line didn't do justice to the contest when Saint Helen's beat them forty to sixteen this weekend, Leyland Dagnall scored too. Walmsley wells By, Davis and MacDonald were the scorers for Saint Helen's. Hastings kicked six goals for York, d scored two and Galiano scored the other. Try Hunter kick two goals. I mean that also reflects a little bit on Saint Hellens. And I think Saint Helen's are a good attack inside. They've got a good attacking coach, but they're always going to give something back to the opposition because the defense isn't the strongest, is my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, I think that's fair. Look, I think York, you know, missing the fullback and a half back of barrel really well, and that game was, you know, in the balance after sixty minutes, and it was, as you said, it was York kind of getting blind away a little bit at the end. But I think they only named eighteen players instead of the twenty one man squad, you know, because that's what they had, and I think that's another indication, you know, like Bradford the other week, only having fifteen fit players. That's when we talk about player depth and the fact about quality for not enough fourteen teams is you know, there's the these are the evidence. It's not necessarily just the score lines or the performances. It's these other factors. I mean, could you imagine if Manly you know, are named could only name you know, sixteen but I only had sixteen players.
Speaker 1: To play against for those for those listening, I just shook my head. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But in saying all that, I do agree with you. I think York I've done a really good job considering they have no academy, they have the you know, feeder system with Newcastle. But you know, I think their recruitment has been quite smart and targeted, and I think they've got a great spirit at that comb and I think Mark Appricoth is to a really good job. So yeah, I think fair play to them. I think I will pick up some more wins when they get toa back and they get Liam Harris back. But I think they're also at the same time they have they've kind of been Paul Vaughan and Paul McShane the two poles, the two veteran pols have had really good campaigns and really led the way for them. So I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens with McShane, because I think he's off contract the end of this year. What they do there. If he plays on, his body holds up. If he doesn't, they're really going to need a top class nine to replace him, and those don't grow on trees.
Speaker 1: Let's go to our questions now, or our statements that people want us to comment on. If you want to get questions or statements towards tweet Johnny at Johnny D. Davidson and you're best sending them to me on email Admint Rugby League Coach dot com to say you, Leonard R. Gregory says, if you were looking to relocate a Super League club for season twenty eight, what city would you move it to? London is not an option, Leonard. I've already told you Monaco that was three pounds. You give the serious answer.
Speaker 2: Now, John Yeah, that's a hard one to answer. I mean, I look, I think if you're looking city sizes in the UK, you're kind of looking at, you know, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle. Obviously we've got clubs in the Manchester area. Liverpool Saint Helens are on the border. I think Birmingham maybe would be the Birmingham and Nottingham maybe would be the ones. Obviously we've got the Midlands Hurricanes. But yeah, I think I think we do need to try and focus on some cities at some point because small towns can only give you so much when it comes to explosion crowds. But in saying that, I don't think a relocation of the current Super League club would work, knowing how tribal tribalism, how much troubleism there is in the in the sport.
Speaker 1: I mean, I do think Super League expansion, from a spectator's point of view, that's possibly work because it expanded into heartland areas again Bradford to Lose and York which is on the fringes of the actual heartland. But it's still a big, a big rugby league area. So I don't know if you'd relocate anyone really, Debbie Jones said, Number one scrapped the chat captain's challenge is that yes or no from you?
Speaker 2: Ah? No, I like the captain. So I think what people don't like is stoppage is in the game. And I think what I think Steve Maskow wrote about this not long ago is that Super League tried to adopt a lot of the NR rules without the same budget or with six again, and.
Speaker 1: I just allow one. I'd just allow one and if you get to keep it and get another, well that's what they have. I partly had two.
Speaker 2: I thought it was only one.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think it's two in the NRL might be wrong or something.
Speaker 2: I think with these kind of stoppages, we need to try and get them done quickly, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's a speed Yeah, four minutes of reviews now. Debbie Jones said, oh sorry, I should say for those who are wondering where the Castleford and okay, our review is. We did it on Friday and I don't want to talk about that game again. And what's just reminded me Thursday and what's just reminded me about that is how long the video review was. Number two. This is Debbie Friday game should kick off at twelve pm. Then fans can get home just before midnight, so she wants them to kick off at lunchtime. According to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't When I read that, it was kind of did she make a different time?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then number three, number three, it just said, ex Saint Neil Holding is a Tommy Robinson loving racist twat Saint should have nothing to do with him. So what's all that about.
Speaker 2: I don't know who that player was. Do you know of him?
Speaker 1: I remember Neil Holding?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's perfore my time. I mean, yeah, I mean anyone who supports Tommy Rownson needs a good hard slab personally. But yeah, I don't know who that player is.
Speaker 1: Chef Toffee Saint said, how can anyone criticize the NRL rule changes when there are record crowds and TV audiences. They say they've made it like basketball. Well, I find it incredible viewing. Well, as the resident Australian here, John, I'll tackle this one first. I respect Chef that you find it incredible viewing. I find it poor because I like a balance between attack and defense. And I already said earlier in the podcast Chef about some of the other things that may have contributed to that, and I do think that the biggest thing out of all of them is the algorithm algorithms and the amount of options. The podcast asks the twenty four hour Rugby League channel, et cetera. So I think in terms of your point, Chef about the rule changes, we can criticize the rule changes, we're not criticizing the record crowds and TV audiences. What I'm challenging, Chef, is that link between those two things. I put it this way. I've I'm it's rugby leagues in my DNA, and I'm not watching it. I'm watching Super League instead, and I will watch the NRL when things balance out a bit again. And I'm not on my own. And there's people a lot younger than me who are thinking the same thing, and people older than me and the same age as me. So there might be record crowds, but they could be even bigger crowds and bigger TV viewers.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think you've entered that well. I would just say that whether there's record crowds or not, it's not always indicative of what the product is a lot of it. And that's this corresponds with Super League and everyone's like Oh, the product's great, but why don't put more people watch it? It's like, well, a lot of it comes down to the presentation of the product, the packaging, the marketing, and what I might find is a great product, and what you might find is a great product could be completely different because everyone is different. So, you know, we've talked about darts before. I'd rather, you know, watch paint dry than darts. But you know a lot of people like it, and that's that's good on them.
Speaker 1: You know, Gary Collins, who I think might be a leaf, said Sky Sports red button issues week in week out. What does a red button do on Sky.
Speaker 2: That's the the Sky Sports Plus. So the fact that there's a lot of games are on the Plus button, so it's a stream, it's not on the regular channel. I mean, we've talked about this a lotly and I think, you know, the the fact that every game's a live but it doesn't have they don't all have the same production values, they aren't treated the same has annoyed a lot of fans, and there are a lot of issues with the presentation, with commentary dropping out or vision dropping out. Yeah, I think personally, I think in the next TV deal we need to go back to if you know, if the numbers work out, and obviously how much money is the key factor, but we need to go back to something where Sky has two or three games, we have another broadcaster, so we get each game presented in an equal way, in a decent way. Whether that can be achieved or not, I don't know, as I mean a lot of that's kind of pie the sky, isn't it? Perfect world stuff?
Speaker 1: Simon Paul? Question one? Do you honestly believe the game is better off of the video ref system and it's taking even longer than last season? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean we talked just then, did we about the video ref? And I think part of that is in the bunk of thel The bunkers is them, which costs a lot of money. It's quite quick and efficient. They still make mistakes, don't they. No one's perfect, but the video ref in the UK is very slow. Personally, I still prefer a video ref. I can remember when there was absolutely horrific knock ons and trials that were awarded for years and easier, like how did they give that? Yeah? I think we've got technology now we ain't. We ain't going, We ain't getting rid of it are.
Speaker 1: We also also, mister Paul, look at the advertising on the referee Jersey, look at the advertising on the screen. That's that's what it's all about, on the on the big screen. Question two, brave decisions need to be made. Read a championship. If NRL get involved, what do you think they do with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked about this fording we look I think they they'd have to have a strategy for the championship as well. I think they need to have some honest analysis and discussions about what is the role of the Championship, What is the role of Is it to get clubs into Super League? Is it to be effectively a feeder system, you know like a Q Cup or and you so Well's Cup, Like, what is it? How do we promote it, how do we market it, how do we pitch it? When is it played? You know it's a semi professional league. Is the wage is sustainable? All these things need to be looked out because I think personally it's a big difference between say, you know a witness, well, i'd say a witness in North Wales Crusaders, but North Wales Crusaders could be literally ceased to exist in the next twenty eight to twenty four to forty eight hours. Yeah, so there's a big difference between clubs who either were in Super League or have aspirations, legitimate aspirations like a London then to some of the clubs in the Championship at the moment. And that's another thing. We've got a massive disparity in salary cap spending and quality between say London and Swinton, for example.
Speaker 1: John Hodgson rolle with the increase in rooks leads in Super League and the increase in injuries, do we need to start looking more closely at penalizing hip drop tackles? Can I answer this bit first? Because I'm a coach, you can.
Speaker 2: You probably no more than myself.
Speaker 1: The definition of a hip drop, even in Australia is all over the show. I think a lot of hip drop tackles are passive tackles. And because again because for years the game has messed around with the rules and has taken away the option of tackling around the legs, which we were all taught as young kids to do. First, because you can't get rewarded for that. Everyone's going up top, and if they don't get up top, And because of the faster rouck speeds, they're going a bit lower now they try and pull them back to try and control the ruck. That's why we're getting hip drop tackles. It's as simple as that. Players don't do them one purpose or very rarely do they do a one purpose, so a lot of it is happening so fast and again, I think the theme of this podcast so far has been budget and expertise with regards to officiating and extra decisions. I mean, this would just cause another a layer of problems that I don't think Rugby Football League need at the moment, particularly when they've got clubs dropping like flies. I watched Super League and I can honestly say ten percent of the tackles would probably get penalized in the NRL. I watched quite a lot, so I don't know if people are getting injured from these tackles in Super League. Also, a lot of the injuries will because will be because of the short preseason in England. But also the interpretations probably weren't brought in until the last minute, and teams didn't recruit put it this way. They probably didn't prepare properly in this off season for it. But they definitely wouldn't have recruited for it. Put it that way, they wouldt have recreated lighter players, and they wouldn't have put long term plans in place for their players to lose lots of weight to be more and more abile. John also asked should the six again be awarded based on tackle count instead of field position, i e. Tackle zero to two is a penalty and six a after that, So six again? Sorry after that you can answer that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interesting one. I've never really thought about it like that. I think it might be hard to keep track of, you know, how many you give at one point. Look, the six a game is really a tough one because I've had people who haven't watched the game for all come to me, like, you know why they are warning it is it is hard to you know, rock in freshmen. It's hard to explain. And look, I like, I like the fact there is a speed of that game. But at the same point, I like, as you said, you know, a balance between attack and defense, and I don't want to see, you know, fifty to forty two every week. Yeah, it's that I'm struggling to answer that one.
Speaker 1: Lucidly Matt said one week loans discuss, Thanks all.
Speaker 2: I don't like the one week loan system. I think some clubs taking the piss out of it. You know, there's there's been some speculation about a certain club getting in a player just so they could rest another one of their players ahead of a big game. Now I don't know if that is one hundred percent or not, but yeah, I don't like the one week loan. I think there should be a minimum, whether it be two weeks or three weeks. You know, there seems to be a lot of kind of big clubs learning players to other big clubs, which I think is also a bad look for the game, and it's a bad look for development and equality across the company.
Speaker 1: It's Challenged Cup next weekend, So a quick prediction from you, John Saint Helens versus Wigan on Saturday that should be a belt up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm hoping to be at that game with Warrington. It's a really tough game to call because Sirt Allen's I think, you know, you look at recent forms and Allens have been the much better team even with you know, quite a few injuries. But Wigan really should have beaten them on good Friday. You know the lead they had with what twelve minutes ago? I think maybe just just wigging in the tight one. But yeah, it's a flip of a coin that one. I could see either team. You know that Ravalie is the biggest longest ravry in rugby league, isn't it? So it should be a humdigger of a game, I hope.
Speaker 1: And then Warrington and who K are on Sunday and.
Speaker 2: That's that's a I guess a more recent rivalry, isn't it an interesting because Tom, sorry I say Tom Burgess, Sam Burgess and Willie Peters are mates from the time both at South Sydney, but obviously after the Challenge Cup final last year and then the year before that, whole KR beat Warrington to get to their first Grand Final.
Speaker 1: Could go either way this game. And fancy Warrington for that one because I think just from what you've said, they've got an awful lot of reason too. And I don't think who KR were fantastic against cast last week. I think.
Speaker 2: I think I think WHOLEK have had the wood over them in the big games. Although they were obviously lucky to win at Wembley, weren't they that try in the last couple of minutes. But yeah, I think they've probably had a slight edge over them. Warrington this year are much improved, but I think maybe just whole Car in a tight one. But yeah, again Warrington. I think this is a really really good test. Warrington have been good for most of the year, more consistent than Whole Car. But this is the litmus test, isn't it? Like probably one of their first really big games in twenty six and if like a beat whole Guy, are that that makes and get to Wembley again? That makes people say I'm saying, okay, this is a is there the real deal the Wolves? So yeah, it should be another great game of Doncaster, hopefully some nice weather.
Speaker 1: N RL. We've already mentioned the NRL world and going into meltdown because Jerome Looeye signed at PNG. That was probably the biggest news last week. But another one that we probably should mention and just pass on our best wishes is to Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy, who it was announced of some kind of neurological disorder. Prepared for the worst, hoping for the best. There for I am in terms of one of the greatest coaches of the game's ever seen. I want to talk about the Bulldogs being rubbish. I want to talk about your manly team losing. I'm happy to talk about Manly this week, and I want to talk about how the Dragons didn't lose this week either.
Speaker 2: Well I didn't. Did the Dragons win?
Speaker 1: I wasn't even aware that they had the buye?
Speaker 2: All right, Okay, yeah I did see. I did see maybe fifteen minutes of the Mainly game the first half. I was having my breakfast in the hotel. But yeah, look, Joey Walsh, pretty pretty good debut for an eighteen year old. You know that faceball to set up a try and no, look, he looks a real talent, doesn't he. So you know, and he went to Saint Augustine's your your school or alma mater.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I worked there for about a term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm claiming, I'm claiming he's one of yours. Well, well, my my mum worked there, and my uncle worked there, and I think my uncle went to school there. But yeah, as I said this to someone else who's giving me a bit of shit about Mainly losing, I was saying, well, look, they were competitive against arguably the best team in the in the camp and you know, five weeks ago they're absolutely shit, you know, I think I think they they had they had a real dig, which is good. Again, I didn't see the Bulldogs game, but that is an interesting one. They're definitely in a slamp, aren't they. And all the all the Doggies fans or the Bellmore mafia are death threats at at Lee Everson's house.
Speaker 1: Is that right? Yeah? Well, they definitely get into me. So I've doubled down on Luce Kerry today. I've done a defensive analysis for them. So the analysis from the mainstream media has been their attack isn't clicking. But had a look at their defense and I can tell you their defense isn't clicking either, So real problems there at Bellmore. Will wrap it up there, John, that's quite a long one as usual. Where can people get you on the chansalis or.
Speaker 2: No, they can't get me there, But I'm hopefully the halliwell Jones on Saturday and Instagram at Johnny D Davidson r L. I think Facebook a John Davidson journalist and on Twitter at Johnny D Davidson.
Speaker 1: And if you're interested in anything I do or don't do Rugby League coach dot comvere you at Rugby League coach on social Send me a message on there or admin a Rugbiley coach.
Speaker 2: What about your award winning book as well?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Rugbyley Coach Thirteen Game Changing Conversations Transform your coaching. So i'd say a good book. I'm quite proud of myself, you know.
Speaker 2: Kind a bit more pump in your voice when you're selling a Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm a humble kind of guy, me, John, Yeah, all right, take care