Speaker 1: In October of nineteen ninety four, a young woman named Emilia Reeves vanished from her home in Arlington, Texas. At first, her disappearance looked like another troubled marriage coming apart, with a young woman running off with another lover. That is until detectives learned that two of her husband's previous wives were already dead. What began as a missing person's case would ultimately unravel a decades long trail of violence that had gone unquestioned for years. This is the story of how good police work makes all the difference. This is the story of Jack Reeves.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcasting.
Speaker 1: The following podcast intended moan your audience, listeners.
Speaker 2: Guess what I recommended this case?
Speaker 1: You did?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: You did two?
Speaker 2: And are the three cases I recommended were like spousal issues?
Speaker 1: Are you trying to say something?
Speaker 2: No, they attract me for some reason, just because not that I think they're relatable, but they're relatable in a sense, right because it just people are generate lots of times in relationships and you could.
Speaker 1: Put yourself in that position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I don't know, I've always been a little bit attracted to spousal dispute ones, I guess, which is kind of weird.
Speaker 1: What are you saying here exactly?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You don't know, I don't know. Okay, well, I'm just gonna move on.
Speaker 2: I guess I do find them actually fascinating, because I do find that they would I'm surprised they happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what, Actually I kind of think that you and I have a similar mindset, but for different things that we prefer. I like mystery ones because I feel like I could put myself in that position and try and like, well, what happened? I really want to think about it, right m and then so it's almost like you're kind of doing the same thing. You're putting yourself in the shoes, like, well, how could that happen? What if that happened to me? Like that perspective, So it's almost like we're taking on that point of view ourselves in our own preferred Niche does that make sense? Or Am I going for a stretch here? No?
Speaker 2: I mean just no, maybe not a stretch, but in the sense I'm like the other ones I also sometimes get drawn to are the ones like cannibalism.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: That's kind of messed up when you think about that.
Speaker 1: At one point, when the podcast was only in like a year or two old, we were kind of tallying who had done more cannibalism cases because you were doing more of the episodes too. It was kind of fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But nowadays, if we were to tally, I've certainly done with more. Well yeah, almost unfair, And I'll be honest, I kind of still think about that when I run across the cannibalism.
Speaker 2: One, like Nichole should be doing this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like Nicole needs to be doing this one, or I don't want to do that one because I don't want to add another cannibalism one to my tally, you know. Yeah, But it's different now it's oh, I still do them, but that initial thought is still there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I've been indulging in some documentaries lately, and there's some that have been like holy shit, and so I just felt the need to pass them along to Ben.
Speaker 1: Has that been the title holy shit? Or that's your reaction or is that the reviews or what or all the above?
Speaker 2: My reaction?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, So It's not called holy shit on net flicks.
Speaker 2: You know though, that would probably grab my attad jute probably.
Speaker 1: Oh holy shit. Okay, let's watch it. Anyways, I think we're yabbering way too much for this story. It's a Friday, and if you're listening on the weekend or listening on another day in the future, mean what, Let's just get to the story and enjoy our day. How's that sound.
Speaker 2: Let's do it?
Speaker 1: I like it. When police began asking the serious questions regarding Jack Reeves, too much time had already passed. You see. Years earlier, a woman who was his wife had been found dead in her own bedroom. A shotgun was resting between her legs, with a suicide story that sounded unsettling but complete enough to accept. Another wife would later die in open water on a quiet Texas lake, with no witnesses, no autopsy to challenge the explanation that was offered either. In both of these cases, the conclusion came rather quickly. Officials recorded what they saw, and they trusted what they were told, and with that they closed the file. Nothing about Jack Reeves triggered any alarm at that moment. He didn't panic, he didn't run. He didn't even contradict himself. He presented himself as a man repeatedly touched by misfortune. Now, each incident seemed isolated on their own, separated by years, locations, and circumstances. That made it easy to treat them as unrelated tragedies rather than a part of a larger story strung together. And so that's how they were handled. The shooting was a suicide, the drowning became labeled as an accident. The paperwork was completed, and life well, life moved on. Whatever doubt existed stayed rather informal and whispered by family members. It was dismissed by lack of evidence and just buried with time. It wasn't until October nineteen ninety four, when a twenty six year old woman named Emilita Villa failed to answer her phone. That was when those early deaths were forced back into the light. Now, her disappearance didn't immediately register as a homicide. It looked like another troubled marriage, another adult who might have chosen to leave, for example. But as detectives began retracing Jack Reeve's past, his marriages, his movements, his explanations, a pattern emerged that hadn't been visible before, not because it was hidden per se, but because no one had ever laid it out all at once. From there, the story of coincidental tragedy soon became the story of investigators reopening deaths that they believed they understood in order to take a closer look, and how years of accepted answers unraveled when examined together, revealing the truth that no one could explain with coincidence anymore. On the morning of October twelfth, nineteen ninety four, Arlington police received a call from a worried friend. She said she hadn't heard from Emilita Reeves since the night before. Emilita, she explained, always returned pages. Remember this is the nineties, so she had a pager and she always answered her phone. Going silent was not like her. Officers were soon dispatched to the Reeves home in Arlington, Texas for a welfare check and to make sure that everything was okay. When they arrived and knocked on the door, there was no answer. They waited and knocked again, but still nothing. As they walked the perimeter of the house, shining their flashlights around and looking in through windows, that's when they noticed movement inside a garage. It was a man who was kneeling down near vehicle. Officers called out, mentioning that they had seen him, and eventually he did come to the front door and identified himself as Jack Reeves. The officer explained what they were there for, you know, the welfare check for Emalda Reeves, which was Jack's wife. Now, Jack casually told police his wife wasn't home. He said she'd likely gone out and would return in a day or two. According to him, Emlita sometimes disappeared without warning, and so he didn't seem alarm with the situation at all. He didn't even ask officers to help find her. Now, at that moment, nothing about the situation clearly pointed to a crime. You see, Jack Reeves was also pretty trustworthy in the eyes of police. He was a fifty four year old retired US Army Master sergeant. That's not an excuse, mind you, but it offered some level of credibility to his name. For sure. Jack's life living in a quiet suburb of this neighborhood, by all accounts, seemed pretty normal and there was nothing really to question. Now, his wife, Emalita was twenty six years old, and she was an immigrant from the Philippines who had married him through a mail order bride's service. They also had a young son together as well. Despite his status and credibility, on paper, the situation looked more like a troubled marriage, not an emergency. So police documented the encounter and they left, but Emelita did not come home that night or the next night either, for that matter. When detectives followed up, however, she still wasn't home, and Jack repeated the same explanation to them. This time, he even suggested that Emelda may have run off with someone else. He mentioned that she had friends and recently other lovers. He spoke calmly and appeared cooperative. Investigators once again had little reason to doubt him. But it wasn't until police began digging a little deeper, not into Emlita's life, but into Jack's that this case began to change. Because this wasn't the first time a woman married to Jack Reeves had vanished or died under unusual circumstances. It just took sixteen years and this one missing person's report for anyone to look close enough to notice what's the saying?
Speaker 2: Three as a crowd.
Speaker 1: So I feel like.
Speaker 2: Looking back upon this, and you know, at one point and you've seen that he had another you know, wife missing or murdered or dead or whatever, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But then all of a sudden, it's a third one. It's like that's I don't know, a little bit more of a red flag. I think.
Speaker 1: Oh, and I don't know if this is like a real like saying per se or anything, but I've got something that I kind of go by, like one is an accident, two is a coincidence. Three is a pattern. And at this point you're on three and now you have a pattern.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. It's kind of stupid to me that he would do a third really, because I mean I would I would never murder anyone. I'm just gonna put that out there, but I would hope that I was. I wouldn't be that dumb.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, one is dumb, two is dumb, Three is dumb. But yeah, he's getting dumb as he goes, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Like the more it be caught, it's obvious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're creating that pattern. You're creating a sense of hey, look at me, You're becoming a giant red flag and eventually someone's gonna look close enough to analyze and figure out what the fuck you're doing. And I mean, that's that's basically the case of this story. That's how it operates. But I mean, honestly, though, with police looking back on his history, though, I think it's time like we should probably do the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, Jack Wayne Reeves was born on June twentieth, nineteen forty, in Wichita Falls, Texas. The city sat near Shepherd Air Force Base and was shaped largely by a military culture, also with steady blue collar work and post war patriotism. Jack grew up in a working class household during the nineteen forties and the nineteen fifties, which is a period defined by very rigid social expectations and also at the time clear gender roles, which are not so much prevalent today but then they certainly were now. Public records from Jack's early life are rather limited, but there's no indication of any sort of criminal behavior or serious trouble during his childhood or even his adolescents. He attended local schools. He graduated from high school in which Ta Falls. Friends and family later described him as quiet, disciplined and eager to leave town. Now, at seventeen years old, Jack found himself enlisting in the United States Army, which was a common path for a lot of young men in this community. It held patriotism, it offered structure, income, and of course, the promise of travel beyond North Texas. As a result, the military would become the central organizing force of his adult life. Just a year later, in nineteen fifty eight, Jack married for the very first time. He at the time was eighteen years old and his wife was just fifteen years old. Now, I'm not going to really go on that age discrepancy. I mean, we're all relative aware, different time, different time. I'm just gonna say that and move on. The marriage itself, though, was very short lived and rather unstable. In fact, it lasted only a few months before unraveling entirely, and in nineteen sixty the union was formally annulled. No children resulted of the relationship, and it left very little trace beyond you know, court records. At the time, it appeared to be a youthful misstep, impulsive, poorly considered, and quickly undone too. I guess you could even consider it a learning situation for a couple of young adults. By nineteen sixty, Jack was focusing solely on his military career and preparing to move forward. But that too was short lived. Not the military career, mind you, but the focusing on himself and his career aspect, because in nineteen sixty one, Jack Reeves married Sharon Delanne Vaughan. He was twenty one years old and still steadily building that career in the US Army, and so Sharon and she joined the relationship. She also stepped into a role that was expected of many military spouses at the time, following her husband from post to post, managing the home and raising a family largely on her own during Jack's deployments. Over the next several years, Jack advanced through the enlisted ranks. The couple lived both in Texas and overseas, eventually being stationed in Verona, Italy in the mid nineteen sixties. By then, they had begun building what looked like, at least for their lifestyle, a stable life. There was a long term marriage, children, and a career that promised a lot of security. But like before that stability would eventually end abruptly. Now, while stationed in Italy, in the mid nineteen sixties. Still Mary Jack Reeves was living with his second wife, Sharon, near his military posting. In nineteen sixty seven, Jack shot and killed a local Italian man outside their residence. Now Jack told authorities that the man had been looking into the bedroom window of their home and was watching Sharon. According to Jack, he confronted the men during an encounter, and he fired the pistol to try and scare him away, but in this encounter he ended up hitting and shooting the guy, killing him. He later claimed that the bullet ricocheted off metal railing and struck the man in the chest. Regardless of the situation, Italian authorities did not accept Jack's explanation. The incident was investigated through both Italian civilian authorities and the US military channels. Investigators ultimately determined that Jack's account did not justify the use of deadly force, and he was charged with manslaughter. He was convicted and sentenced to time in an Italian prison. Now Jack ultimately served approximately only four months before being released after his mother had organized a petition collecting hundreds of different signatures. The petition was forwarded to the then President of the United States Lyndon B. Johnson, who then intervened diplomatically on Jack's behalf. Shortly afterwards, Jack was released and allowed to return to the United States, and he was also allowed to continue his army career. Legally, the case ended there. Jack resumed his military career. He suffered no lasting professional consequences, and continued to serve for nearly two more decades before retiring as a master sergeant. At the time, the shooting was simply treated as an isolated incident, an overseas altercation explained by circumstances, youth, bad judgment, and somewhat accidental. Potentially, no one connected that shooting to anything larger. It did not follow Jack back to Texas in any meaningful way. There were no public warnings, no internal alarms, no sense at this moment, would you know, kind of make sense and matter in hindsight. But it was in fact the first time Jack Reeves had ever killed someone, and the first time a death associated with him had officially been explained away. After returning from Italy, Jack and Sharon Reeves settled into Copperas Cove, Texas, a small city outside Fort Hood built largely around the rhythms of that same army life. Jack continued his career in service. Sharon raised their two sons, Ricky and Randall, and managed the household during his frequent absences. To neighbors and acquaintances, the family just simply appeared ordinary, just another family amongst the rest. Jack was a career soldier, Sharon was a homemaker, active in church and social circles. Nothing about the day to day life suggested that it would end violently, but by the nineteen seventies the marriage had begun to fracture. While Jack was stationed in South Korea, Sharon started an affair with a retired army officer named John Benneman. She spoke openly to friends about wanting to leave her current marriage, and eventually, in February of nineteen seventy eight, Sharon filed for divorce. Her plan, according to the people who were closest to her, was to finalize the separation and go build a new life. Then Jack returned home from South Korea unexpectedly in early July of nineteen seventy eight. The timing was actually immediately massive and raised some severe tension in the home. Their son even later recalled arguments in the weeks that followed, Sharon appeared anxious and Jack well, he appeared angry, but the divorce while it still proceeded. On July nineteenth, nineteen seventy eight, the Coriel County Judge signed the divorce decree. Then the following day, July twentieth, nineteen seventy eight, Sharon Reeves was shot in the chest with a shotgun inside the couple's home. So according to Jack, what had happened was he was in the kitchen when he heard a gun shot ring through the house. One of their sons was outside, but the other wasn't home. Jack told police he ran straight into the bedroom and found Sharon on the bed, wounded from the shot to the chest, but still alive, with the shotgun laying between her legs. When the Coppera's Cove police arrived, they found Sharon grievely injured in the home. Officer Johnny Smith later recalled that he checked her pulse and she grabbed his wrist in a brief moment right before she died. Jack told the officers Sharon killed herself. He even pointed to a cut on her toe, suggesting that she had pulled the trigger with her toe. He handed police a note, he said he found in a China cabinet, a message Sharon had written, he claimed, explain that you know, she was torn between two men and couldn't go on.
Speaker 2: Pretty messed up time, though, definitely for something like that to happen.
Speaker 1: The day after divorce, yeah.
Speaker 2: When really that should kind of almost be like a new beginning of sorts.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. There was no autopsy, though that was ordered, as the local Justice of Peace ruled that the death was in fact a suicide. The explanation that Sharon had positioned the shotgun and pulled the trigger with her toe was just accepted, and the note was treated as confirmation. The scene was photographed, documented and closed just like that. Sharon Reeves was thirty four years old when she died, and within days the case was over with no criminal investigation, no forensic testing beyond what was done at the scene, no follow up interviews months later. Nothing. It was as if they just assumed, you know what, this was an open and shutcase. But even though they thought this was so straightforward, the reality was far from different if they only looked just a little bit closer. For example, the shotgun wound was documented, but no detailed analysis was done on distance trajectory or whether Sharon could have physically have fired the weapon herself. The note Jack provided it too, was accepted at face value. It was not preserved as evidence per se. He was not subjected to handwriting analysis. Either no attempt was made to verify when it he had even been written, or maybe it was written under certain circumstances like duress. And most of all, after the case was closed well, the note went missing. Police took photographs of the bedroom where Sharon was shot too, but the images were filed away and largely forgotten, and over time most of them were lost as well. Only a single crime scene photo would later be found. Witness statements were minimal two and Jack's accounts of the events became the framework for the official ruling. There was no reconstruction of shooting or anything, no follow ups with friends or family about her state of mind in the days even leading up to her death in nineteen seventy eight. None of this stood out as unusual, I mean, for them at the time. The notes seemed to offer motive, and Sharon's recent divorce and emotional strain fit a narrative investigators were accustomed to accepting in situations like this. Less than three years after Sharon Reeves's death, Jack Well he remarried once again. While stationed in South Korea, Jack met a woman by the name of Meunghai Chung, a young Korean woman with limited English and no family ties to the United States. They married on December thirty first, nineteen eighty and soon after Jack brought her back to Texas, where he continued his army career until retiring in nineteen eighty five as a master sergeant. Now after leaving the military, Jack settled into civilian life in Arlington, Texas. He lived comfortably with his military pension and income from a paint contracting business that he had and additional money from family inheritance. Together, the couple also owned a home, multiple vehicles, and some outdoor toys like a fishing boat and a camper. Jack actually frequently went camping and fishing, particularly around Lake Whitney, which is a large reservoir southwest of Dallas. To all outsiders looking in, the marriage was stable like every other typical couple, but people closer to Miyanghai Well they later described a far different picture. She struggled to adapt to life in the United States. She spoke very little English and relied heavily on Jack for everyday life. Family members in Korea also said that she feared water and could not swim, so she generally wasn't exactly going out on the boat and enjoying it like Jack was. Some of her close friends and family also reported that she confided in them that Jack was very controlling and abusive towards her. In letters written shortly before her death, Miyanghai described being unhappy and wanting to leave the marriage. It was on July twenty eighth, nineteen eighty six when the couple went fishing to Lake Whitney, So according to Jack, the two were using an inflatable air mattress on the lake. He said he stepped away briefly to catch a few grasshoppers for bait to go fishing later. Then when he returned, Mianghai was gone. Her body was later found floating face down in the water. Jack was the only witness. Responding officials noted that Jack appeared calm and rather detached as his wife's body was recovered, and a park ranger later described him as nonchalant. Now When she was recovered, there were visible bruises on Myanghai's face, which raised concerns with her family, her sister seeing her body at the funeral, while in fact, she even demanded an autopsy right then and there. Instead, though, Jack canceled the burial plans and arranged from Yanghai to be cremated almost immediately.
Speaker 2: Gosh, it's just all these flags, hey, just but listening to all this after the fact, it's just like wild.
Speaker 1: It is wild, and you have to remember these are taking places a place over different years. Yeah, right, this is so condensed. I mean, yeah, it's a red flag. Yeah, someone probably should have looked at it, but you have to remember with each red flag there was cool off before the next one. Oh yeah, generally speaking.
Speaker 2: But it is very interesting that Cassey she fell off this air mattress, right, Yes, she hates water. She would be completely terrified. You would hear things so like Jack just being like, yeah, I was getting grasshoppers for bait and then I come back and she's just not there, Like you would have heard a huge commotion.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. It's complete and larky.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it doesn't I mean that would just be so suspicious listening to that, right.
Speaker 1: So with that though, no, autopsy was performed. I mean, at this point she's cremated, she can't be. The local Justice of Peace ruled the death an accidental drowning based solely on Jack's accounts and observations at the scene. I mean, with no forensic examination, no evidence contradicting, contradicting, I should say, Jack's accounts, the case well, it's just simply closed. So with that, for the second time a wife of Jack Reeves had died under unusual circumstances, and again for the second time, the official explanation required no further investigation, and just like before after Miyanghai Chong's death, Jack Reeves did not wait long before remarrying once again. In nineteen eighty seven, Jack traveled to the Philippines after selecting an eighteen year old woman named Emalita Villa through a male order bride's service. Now, Emalita grew up in poverty, living with her family in a small hut with very limited resource. Jack was nearly thirty years old when he and her well got together. When he appeared to her family as a financially stable and capable person, someone who was able to offer, you know, Emelita and her family a better life. He sent money payments to support her relatives and covered medical expenses for her mother. The arrangement well, it created a lot of pressure by several accounts, Primarily, Emelda felt obligated to marry him, so she moved to Arlington, Texas, and the two of them soon married. They later even had a son together. Friends described Emilita as outgoing and social. She built a close knit group of Filipino friends in the Arlington area and stayed in frequent contact with them by pager and cell phone. Over time, she began confiding in them about her marriage. According to multiple witnesses, she said Jack was controlling and physically abusive, and that he forced her into very degrading sexual situations, sometimes even photographing her against her will.
Speaker 2: Oh damn okay, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: She told her friends and family how she felt trapped and afraid in her new marriage, and by nineteen ninety four, Emlida was openly talking about leaving the situation. She told friends she plan to divorce Jack and returned to the Philippines with her son. She also issued a very clear warning if she ever stopped answering her phone or pager, they were to call the police immediately because something would be wrong. It was on the evening of October eleventh, nineteen ninety four, when Emelda was last seen by her friends at work. One friend dropped her off at seven pm, but she never returned the calls later that night. By the next day, her pager and phone still remained silent, and on October twelfth, a friend contact at the Arlington Police Department and requested a welfare check. Officers went to the Reefs home and when they they walked the perimeter and saw Jack inside the garage. He came to the front door and he kind of blocked the entrance and refused to let officers inside. He told them em Alita had likely gone off with someone else and said that she sometimes disappeared for a few days at a time. Police noticed his agitation, but had no legal grounds for forced entry.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like for anyone in that situation, his explanation to the police is reasonable in any way.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I agree that she, oh, she's just gone like he doesn't care, and that that makes sense because I feel like anyone in a married relationship like that would know where they are when they're going to be back and stuff. You know, to a degree most most time.
Speaker 1: Correct, You are right. I agree with that. However, there's a different situation here. The situation that police are seeing, and the reason why they're believing him is because it's a failing marriage, so they don't have contact. She's running off, she has another lover. I have no fucking clue what she's doing. Is kind of the attitude. Yes, So if there's a split and a divide between the couple, they're no longer contacting each other, they're no longer confiding in each other. That's what makes it that believable portion, because police do know, Hey, she's looking at leaving him, right and now he's kind of repeating the same story. So it seems reasonable, seems real, and seems likely.
Speaker 2: And there isn't really anything they can do yet exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because friends are saying, yeah, she's scared of him, she wants to leave. We need to welfare check. We haven't heard from her. Okay, we show up and he says, yeah, she left, she's off with some other fucking lover. I don't know where she is.
Speaker 2: It sounds plausible, huh, I guess, I guess. I mean the Yeah, they already knew that there was issues. I suppose yeah, so ah, okay.
Speaker 1: But I see what you're saying. If only they dig a little deeper. But thankfully in this case, they eventually they do.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Now, within days of him giving this bullshit excuse to police, Emilita's Nissan Pathfinder was found abandoned at a shopping center that she frequented, and Jack showed very little concern over this revelation too. He told different people different versions of why she had gone, suggesting she had a boyfriend girlfriend, or that she simply walked out on him and their child. Whatever it was, it still painted that picture of he doesn't know what's going on. Right. What unsettled those closest to Emilita, though, wasn't just that she was missing. It was that she'd been planning to leave and then suddenly she just vanishes. And this time investigators did not let the case quietly close, but to start off. In the first days after Emilida's was reported missing, Arlington police treated the case as a possible voluntary disappearance. Right she went off on her own, She was in fact an adult, after all. There was no visible signs of violence or her seemingly trustworthy husband being anything other than that. He simply claimed that she had left and that was that. But as detectives began speaking with Emilita's friends, that explanation started to fracture. Several of them told the police that Emilita had been afraid of her husband and that she had openly talked about leaving him, and she had given an explicit instruction that has she ever stopped answering her pager or phone, police were to be contacted immediately. That detail stood out big time.
Speaker 2: I do love that she had such a support system, yes, and that really her disappearance was reported so quickly it was, and I think that's freaking awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, massive, massive. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you're not sure of your own safety, confide in those around you. They will be the ones who help you get through this one way or another, whether it's you know, contacting police, whether it's finding you know what a way for you to get out. That's your support system. And she relied on hers, Yes, so props to her for that. Now. Missing persons cases often hinge on ambiguity. You know, people leave relationships and contacts fate, etc. That sort of stuff. So basically, when this pattern came out in this case, well, let's just say it meant that Emilida's disappearance basically came with a built in alarm system telling police to look closer because you have those friends saying actually no, she told us to call you if this were to happen, and this is happening. So after all, she had anticipated this possibility that this could happen. So fantastic they have this. Detective Tom Lenore was soon assigned to the case, and as he reviewed Emilida's background, he learned that she was Jack's fourth wife, and that the marriage itself fit a very familiar pattern. There was a large gap in age, there was financial dependence, isolation, and escalating conflict in the months before the disappearance. And when Detective Lenoir, well, when he requested Jack's marital history to dig a bit deeper into it, what he found shifted the entire investigation. Jack's second wife, Sharon, had died in nineteen seventy eight from a shotgun wound to the chest officially ruled a suicide as we know, and his third wife, Meong, had drowned in Lake Whitney the very Lake he goes camping in very often. In nineteen eighty six, Well it was ruled an accident, and now his fourth wife had vanished while telling friends that she had planned to leave. After learning about this, Detective Leonore contacted compress Cove police to review Sharon Reeves case file, and he also contacted Hill County officials regarding Meong Reeves drowning. Neither case had resulted in charges, and both had been closed very quickly, but neither had undergone forensic review before this. This would be the first time now. Something that stuck with Detective Leonore was the timing in each death. It seemed that each woman had been preparing to leave Jack. In each case, Jack was the only adult present or primary witness to the events, and in each case, the official ruling depended almost entirely on Jack's accounts of what had happened. As investigators began to reinterview Jack, his behavior became another point of interest in the case. He was articulate, confident, and very comfortable speaking at length about his military service, his property, and even his relationships. But when detectives challenged his statements or pressed about specifics. Maybe it was Emilia's whereabouts whatever. He shut down the conversation entirely. It was almost like he was operating only on his parameters, his story, whether true or false, and no one else could challenge him. He refused a polygraph test, he denied officers entry into his home, and he also declined to provide further explanation for Emilita's disappearance.
Speaker 2: It's almost like he's done this before.
Speaker 1: Almost like he's done this before, Yes, exactly now. During one interview, though, Jack volunteered a detail without being prompted, and it was a very odd one at that. You see, he asked detectives whether he would be blamed if Emilita were found at Lake Whitney. Oh yeah, okay, So he's like, well, if you guys were to find her out there, would that circle back to me because he spends.
Speaker 2: Time there, right, Yeah, what an odd question to ask, right.
Speaker 1: It was very specific and to Detective Lenore, this question landed very heavily because Lake Whitney was, yeah, not a random location. It's where he camped frequently. But not only that, it's also where his third wife had drowned eight years earlier. By the spring of nineteen ninety five, Sharon Reeves's death was no longer a closed case because now it had a well glaringly large question mark above it. Detective Tom Lenore and the other investigators began pulling whatever remained out of the nineteen seventy eight case file. Except what they found was thin, far thinner than they hoped to find, especially for a death that had been ruled a suicide involving a gun. For example, the fact that there'd be no autopsy. It hadn't been done because well one sugg justice the piece determined Sharon's death was self inflicted. Further medical examination was canceled. Also, the suicide note Jack claimed to have found was never preserved as evidence, and no handwriting analysis had ever been done. Most of the original case scene photographs, while they are gone too. In fact, only one photograph remained. It showed Sharon Reeves lying on the bed nude with a shotgun position between her legs. The image had been taken very quickly before the scene was disturbed and then filed away for nearly two decades. Detective Leonore had this one piece of evidence, and he studied this singular photograph carefully for every single detail he could find, and the placement of the shotgun immediately raised questions, so did Sharon's position on the bed, But that wasn't all the blood pattern visible in the photo. It appeared inconsistent with someone sitting or laying down at the moment a gun was fired. It was honestly all off. Investigators sent the photograph to bloodstained pattern experts, and their conclusion was pretty direct. Sharon would have been standing when she was shot, not laying on the bed like she was shown in the photo. That singular finding unraveled the entire original suicide theory. The explanation given in nineteen seventy eight that Sharon had pulled the trigger with her toe while it was already physically questionable, but now it appeared even less plausible. If she'd been standing, the mechanics required to fire a shotgun in that manner became extremely unlikely, if not impossible altogether. So, with permission from Sharon's family, investigators ordered her body to be exhumed for examination, but there were concerns Sharon had been buried in the Texas heat for sixteen years. Thankfully, though, Jack paid for a sealed, high end metal casket, so when they dug up the casket and it was opened, her remains were actually in remarkably well preserved condition for what they thought they would find. Doctor Jeffrey Barnard of the Dallas County Medical Examiner's Office was the one to conduct the autopsy, and he found a lot. He found no evidence of close range firing, such as stippling or powder burns that would have been expected in a contact or near contact suicide. The trajectory of the wound also did not align with a self inflicted shot, and at the angle, while it suggested the gun was fired from in front of Sharon while she was upright so standing, ultimately, doctor Bernard cluded the manner of death was inconsistent with a suicide. Investigators also revisited the original claim that Sharon had been naked at the time of death. Bloodstain analysis indicated she had likely been wearing at least a bra and underwear when she was shot, which directly contradicted the position in which her body had been found when she was found nude. The investigation didn't simply stop at that, though analyzing the image and getting the autopsy were great. However, they took it one step further still, you see, to really test that suicide theory. Police conducted re enactments using a woman of similar size and the same model of shotgun, although obviously decommissioned. What they found was that even under controlled conditions, it proved extremely difficult, often impossible, to fire the weapon with a toe while standing in the position Sharon would need to be.
Speaker 2: In that like, blew my mind.
Speaker 1: Isn't that wild? Right?
Speaker 2: It's yeah, yeah, it's unreal. I mean, if only they have done that at the time.
Speaker 1: Right, So for sure. By March of nineteen ninety five, the conclusion investigators had resisted for years became unavoidable. Sharon Reeves had not killed herself. It was on March thirtieth, nineteen ninety five, when a Coriel County grand jury indicted Jack Wayne Reeves for her murder, seventeen years after she died. For the first time, the case that had quietly ended in nineteen seventy eight was officially reopened as a homicide and had forced investigators to confront an unsettling possibility that Sharon Reeves was not an isolated incident, and from there investigators stepped back and laid the cases out side by side. What emerged was not a single piece of damning evidence, but a timeline that kept repeating itself. Sharon Reeves died in July of nineteen seventy eight, just days after finalizing a divorce and while actively planning a future with another man, miong Reeves, while she drowned in July of nineteen eighty six after writing to family members about the abuse and expressing unhappiness in her marriage. And Melita Vila vanished in October nineteen ninety four after telling friends that she intended to leave Jack and had arranged a plan for what to do if she ever disappeared. In all three of these cases, the women were preparing to leave the relationship. In all three of these cases, Jack was the last known adult with them or the only witness to what had happened, and in all three cases, the initial ruling depended almost entirely on Jack's version of events. Bigators also began to look closely at Jack's behavior during each one of the incidents. In nineteen seventy eight, officers noticed that he appeared calm and conversational after Sharon was shot, even discussing his sexual experiences overseas while standing near the scene. In nineteen eighty six, Park rangers and deputies described him as detached and unemotional. After Meong's drowning in nineteen ninety four, Officers responding to Emalita's disappearance found him defensive, evasive, and unwilling to allow plea police into the home. Each time, Jack offered explanations quickly and often unprompted, painting the scene for investigators how he wanted them to see it. He framed how Sharon's death was a suicide, he framed Meong's death as a tragic accident, and now he framed Emalita's disappearance as a betrayal and abandonment. And not once did he ever appear to actually be grieving. But detectives noted Jack's while his consistent need to control the conversation when speaking with police, neighbors, or friends. He was confident and articulate so long as he was the one to set the topic. The moment questions turned towards contradictions or challenging his narrative, that's when he withdrew, shutting down interviews or refusing cooperation entirely. During the investigation, financial details were also revisited. Jack had received significant military death benefits following Sharon's death, he had retained a large sum of money belonging to his father after agreeing to hold it during a divorce, and later refused to return it. But what was really eye opening to investigators was after Emilita had disappeared, he began searching for another mail order bride within weeks.
Speaker 2: Oh dang.
Speaker 1: None of these facts alone proved murder, but together they suggested a very serious motive. They suggested opportunity and a very long standing pattern of behavior that could know no longer be dismissed as hey, a simple coincidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and apparently he just doesn't give a shit about.
Speaker 1: Loss, exactly right. So, by the summer of nineteen ninety five, Arlington Police were no longer operating under the assumption that Emilida Villa Reeves was alive. The investigation had while it installed in terms of locating her, but it had intensified in another direction, reconstructing what had happened in the days immediately after she vanished. And that reconstruction, well, it began with Jack's own son, Randall Reeves, Jack's younger son from his marriage to Sharon, came forward with information he had not initially shared. He told the investigators that shortly after Emilid had disappeared, his father asked him to help dispose of items from the house. One of those items was Emilida's cell phone. Randall said Jack instructed him to hide it. However, Randall decided that he was going to turn it over to police. He also told investigators that Jack had gutted a nearly new sofa and thrown it away, then thoroughly washed the truck used to transport this. The timing stood out immediately this cleanup, while it occurred almost immediately after Emilita was last seen, and Randall, while he also placed his father guess where at Lake Whitney. According to his statement, Jack went camping there on October thirteenth, nineteen ninety four, the day after Emlita was reported missing. This directly contradicted Jack's earlier claims about his whereabouts and movements that he told police, and it further tied Emalita's disappearance to the same location where miong Reeves had died eight years earlier. Detectives began to search the area around Lake Whitney, but initially found nothing Without a body, the case remained circumstantial Jack meanwhile continued to insist Emelida had abandoned him. He distributed missing persons flyers, offered a reward, and filed for divorce, claiming that she had left voluntarily. Nearly a year had passed with no sign of her as investigators continued to look, and it wasn't until October nineteen ninety five when a hunter and his young son were walking through the wooded area near Lake Whitney when they noticed human remains partially exposed in a shallow creek bed. The remains were skeletal, with long black hair still visible the grave that was kinda dug while it was very shallow and the location was extremely remote, and it was within the same general area where Jack had camped immediately after she disappeared. Police were quickly called to and investigators recovered the remains. Dental records soon confirmed the identity. The remains belonged to Emelda Villa Reeves. Due to the condition of her remains, medical examiners could not determine a precise cause of death. There were no bullets, no obvious knife marks, and no soft tissue left to examine, but the manner of burial and the location ruled out accident or suicide, and so that only leaves one avenue left, and the case was officially classified as a homicide. On October thirtieth, nineteen ninety five, Jack Wayne Reeves was indicted for the murder of his fourth wife, with Sharon Reeves murderer charge already pending. The investigation that began as a missing person's call had now produced two homicide cases, separated by seventeen years and connected by one man and anchored by the same stretch of land near Lake Whitney, and by the year nineteen ninety six. Early on, Jack Reeves was no longer a suspect living under scrutiny. He was a defendant facing two separate murder cases, and the first case to go to trial was Sharon Reeves. Prosecution's case focused almost entirely on forensics and reconstruction. There were no eyewitnesses to the shooting other than you know Jack himself. Instead, the state walked the jury through what had happened and what they had missed the first time, the single remaining crime scene photograph, the blood stained pattern analysis, the autopsy finding from the nineteen ninety five exemption, and the re enactment demonstration using the same model of shotgun. Experts testified that Sharon had been standing when she was shot. They explained why a tow trigger theory was physically improbable, if not impossible, given the height of the victim and the length of the weapon and the angle of the wound. Demonstrations in court even showed how difficult it was to try and fire the shotgun in the manner Jack described, especially while standing. The defense, though, argued that the suicide, well, it was still possible. They pointed to Sharon's emotional stress, the divorce proceedings, and the note Jack claimed she had left behind, and they challenge the reliability of reconstructing a death nearly two decades later, and emphasized that the original ruling had in fact been suicide.
Speaker 2: Well, even just to sit back and listen to that, it's like, because it was like.
Speaker 1: A long rifle, right, yeah, it was a shotgun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so someone doing that with their foot, I don't know, it almost seems like impossible even just listening and hearing that.
Speaker 1: Definitely, there are cases where people try and do that and a lot of people end up missing the mark, and like, well, I mean, shooting themselves in the chest is that's even more difficult. But people miss and like in shooting themselves in the head suicide wise and they end up like doing it wrong and they still survive. And because those angles they're so difficult. So yeah, it basically just paints a big old picture of malarkey, is what it does.
Speaker 2: Well. Yeah, especially to be laying down on a bed too, because if you were standing doing that, you would, you know from what I heerd too, and I think you've alluded to this, you'd fall forward.
Speaker 1: Oh, you definitely would. So what you would have to do for how she was shot standing up picture this. You would have to stand on one leg, hold a long barrel shotgun with the barrel pointed towards you, lift up your one leg and then pull the trigger, all while on one leg. You can't have the shotgun angle down resting on the ground to pull it, because that's not the angle she was shot at. Yeah, the angle was with it up almost. I'm not saying parallel, but about parallel ish, so about parallel with the ground, and then you have to lift your leg up to pull that trigger.
Speaker 2: Like no way, Yeah, it seems damn near impossible, as you know what they're saying exactly.
Speaker 1: So if you're going to try and even try and do that, you're going to be falling. After five days of testimony inside the court, the jury retired to deliberate shortly before returning to read the verdict. On January third, nineteen ninety six, the jury found Jack Wayne Reeves guilty of murdering his second wife, Sharon Reeves, and ultimately he was sentenced to thirty five years in prison. The second trial followed months later and focused on Emelita Villa Reeves. This case, of course, looked very different. There was no cause of death, there was no murder weapon, no confession, nothing like that. The prosecution, while they acknowledged from the onset that this was a circumstantial case and for their side, while they built a timeline, they presented evidence that Emelda had told friends she planned to leave Jack and feared him. They introduced testimony about Jack's behavior when police first came to his home, his refusal to let officers inside, and his shifting explanation for why Emelita was gone. They also highlighted his camping trip to Lake Whitney the day after disappearance and his unslicted reference to this location during interviews His son Randall. Reeves, also testified about being asked to hide Emlita's cell phone and bolt the disposal of household items immediately after she vanished. Prosecutors then introduced evidence showing that Jack began searching for another male order bride within weeks of Emlita's disappearance. The defense, when it was their turn, again emphasized the lack of direct evidence. Jack's attorney argued there were no witnesses, there was no forensic proof tying him to Emlida's death, and no definitive cause of death. Even in the end, though it was in the jury's hand, and after just over an hour of deliberation, they came back into the courtroom and read their verdict aloud. On August twentieth, nineteen ninety six, Jack Reeves was found guilty of murdering Emelda Villo Reeves, and he was sentenced to ninety nine years in prison. The sentences he received were ordered to run concurrently. Even after two murder convictions, though investigators not finished asking questions about Jack Reeves because there still was another woman now. Unfortunately, the death of Meong Reeves, his third wife, remained officially classified as an accident. Due to her cremation the lack of physical evidence, no charges were ever filed in that case, and ultimately Jack's versions of events with her drowning still stand as what happened because it can't be proven otherwise. However, that's not the additional woman I mean you see. While Emilide was still living in the Philippines with her younger son in the early nineteen nineties, Jack well he had been with someone else. Neighbors in South Arlington recalled a tall, slim woman with a noticeable accent living in his home for several weeks or months even, and Jack introduced her to everyone only as Natalie. According to neighbors, she appeared educated, she spoke fluent English, and kept mostly to herself. She was seen walking through the neighborhood and occasionally accompanying Jack. Then, without explanation, she was gone. When asked about her, Jack told conflicting stories at different times. He claimed that she had married another man, moved out of state, or left him willingly after seeing another man. Detectives noted that these explanations closely mirrored the same stories Jack told later about Emmalita after her disappearance. What troubled investigators. Most was not simply that Natalie was gone, but that Jack could not or would not, provide a full name, not an address, or verifiable proof that she was still alive. Police even told Jack's attorney they would accept a sworn affidavid confirming her identity and whereabouts, basically you know, saying he wouldn't be convicted. We just want to make sure she's okay. Well, yeah, rightfully. So, However, no affidavid was provided. He spoke nothing on it, and that was that. Unlike Sharon and Emlita, there was nobody. Unlike Meong, there was no documented incident that tied to a specific date or location. Without evidence of a crime, police had no legal ground to pursue charges. She was just gone and that was that. But yet the pattern was impossible to ignore. Each woman entered Jack's life under circumstances that left her isolated. Each relationship became strained as the woman sought independence or potential escape, and when that moment came, the woman either died or went missing. For investigators, Natalie represented a boundary they could not cross. She was the case that could not be proven, the thread that could not be pulled any farther as they reached the end of that reel. Whether she survived Jack or not remains completely unknown, and ultimately, Jack Wayne Reeves was sent to prison not because of one investigation, but because investigators finally took a look backwards. For nearly three decades, each death in his life had been handled in isolation. A shooting in Italy that was explained to me as an accident, a deflecting bullet simply a wife that you know she died as ruled of suicide, another one that was ruled an accidental drowning, and then a missing woman assumed to have just simply run off. Each conclusion made sense on its own, at least enough to close a file. What changed in nineteen ninety four wasn't the disappearance of Emily to Villa Reeves. It was the moment police stopped taking Jack's word as truth, and stopped treating the case as a single event, and instead placed it alongside the others as one as a whole. Once they did this, the timeline began to tell a different story, one that did not rely on speculation, but on documented patterns, forensic re analysis, and sworn testimony. The justice system resolved what it could Sharon Reeves's death was no longer a suicide, a jury ruled it murder, and Malita Reeves did not run away. A jury ruled that she was killed. But the system could not resolve everything. Meyong Reeves's death remains officially accidental, sealed by cremation in time, the woman known as Natalie remains unaccounted for, and the full truth to what happened inside Jack's home may never be known beyond what evidence has survived for investigators like Tom Lenore, the case well, it's not about labels like serial killers or monsters. It's about correcting the record, about acknowledging that earlier answers had been wrong, and that those mistakes had allowed a man to keep moving forward. Jack, as it stands, is now an aging inmate housed in the Texas prison system, with his appeals completely exhausted, and he has continued to maintain his innocence even as courts upheld both convictions. The women at the center of this story do not get the luxury of growing old as he does. Their lives are frozen at the very moment that they tried to leave. Their names are now linked, not by coincidence but by evidence and a heartless human being. Their stories are forever connected now too. Once they were dismissed, misread, or even ignored, but now now they have finally been heard, just late enough to change the ending, but not early enough to save them or even understand the full extent of the truth. That is where this case ends. Solved, but not fully. Jack is responsible for three deaths in total, with two more that could potentially be added to his list. He is, in every sense of the word, a monster. But still, if you've listened to our show before, you know we do not like to give someone like him notoriety. Yes we are talking about him, but in this case, I think we need to give a final mention to the investigators who did their due diligence in the end, after years of failed police work, they stepped in and they did what was right, not for themselves but for the victims, victims who were never heard in the first place. It's because of these investigators the truth was found and no one else was hurt. So to people like Detective Tom lenore On behalf of those whose stories you help resolve, and people like us who see the good work you do, thank you. And that's the story of Jack Wayne Reeves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fuck that guy. Hey, yeah, I do. Okay, something I just want to say, and I want to hear your thoughts. So say, if it's Emilita, right, that's how you say her name. Yes, say her body was found like right away, and it was a suicide or like an accident type looking thing.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Do you think that he would have gotten away with this again or would it at this point like no, it's all caught.
Speaker 1: Up to him. No, it would have still caught up with him, I think.
Speaker 2: Because this investigator was good and they and they took the time to like thoroughly look through things. But if she wasn't missing, would.
Speaker 1: They have you know, well, if she wasn't missing, she wouldn't have been dead.
Speaker 2: Well her body wasn't missing.
Speaker 1: Sorry, okay, well no like being missing in her body missing. To me, those are the two in the same. But I think regardless of whether she was found suicide or accidental or murder, I think that's that's beside the point. The point is more so the pattern and the people who actually spoke up on her behalf, not only the detectives but also the friends who said if something happens to her she's missing. She told us there's a problem, okay, which triggers investigators to look deeper.
Speaker 2: So that for sure, the friends alone would have stirred something up.
Speaker 1: Definitely. So even if it was, hey, another suicide situation where she may have shot herself, I guarantee you they would have looked deeper. They would have looked into it, and I am almost certain they would have stopped him because they probably would have had more evidence anything that they looked on. On these ones, they didn't have much evidence. Old cases with missing evidence, this one where a body was decomposed to such an extent that they couldn't do a proper autopsy. If they had a body with like you know, it's an accident, it's a suicide, same sort of thing, you can perform that autopsy. Now you can do the proper things on angles with a gun and see that sort of stuff. They would have figured it out. In fact, I think it would have been easier for them to figure it out.
Speaker 2: Okay, this guy is just such a piece of shit because he, in all these relationships, just treated these women terribly.
Speaker 1: They're disposable to him.
Speaker 2: Is like surprising to him that they want to leave, right and he does. He basically he just doesn't allow it, which is just such a fucking asshole.
Speaker 1: And to him, it's almost like he's just going to a vending machine, just getting the next one, you know, just like this male order system. Okay, well this one didn't work out, I'm going to just throw it away and on to the next that's fucked up.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and like in Emilita's case, she was doing she didn't love him, she was just literally doing this to support her family. Well now he's in poverty, right, I.
Speaker 1: Think that's basically the what male order systems rely on.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I don't know. Maybe there's an odd case where.
Speaker 1: They actually are looking for love.
Speaker 2: I don't who knows, And don't marry a complete piece of this jack guy?
Speaker 1: Well no, okay, let me back up my statement. I'm not saying that the situations are all someone marrying someone because they have to and their relationship sucks. I'm saying the male order system relies on women signing up because they're looking for a better life, whether it's poverty, whether it's you know, a third world country, whether it's medical things. They're reaching out saying this is my last Yes, I do believe there are good relationships that can happen from mail order bride. I'm not advocating for it, but I am saying that. I'm sure some of those women find good men too. Oh yeah, it's just not a good way of going about it. Well, yeah, to them, it's their only option.
Speaker 2: Right, based on love per se.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'm not judging the women in the situation. I'm judging the system that takes advantage of those women.
Speaker 2: So yeah, And I guess you could just hope that you don't end up with someone like freakin' Jack.
Speaker 1: Reeves, right, what a complete douche Canoe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't like him.
Speaker 1: He's done.
Speaker 2: He's garbage.
Speaker 1: Fuck you, Jack, that's all you gotta say. But not you guys. You guys are cool. Thank you for being here. We totally appreciate you. If you want to take out the or take a look at the description of our podcast, we got some more stuff, website, socials, all that good things. We are an independently host owned, researched podcast. There's no big team, Nicole and are the ones doing it. We are the ones who operate this. There's no one pulling our strengths and telling us what to do, how to do it. We just want to tell you good stories. We want to make sure we focus on victims when we can, and we honestly are so thankful you're here supporting us, listening to our show because it means the world. So thank you, and until next
Speaker 2: Time, stay wicked.