Speaker 1: Hey, Carl here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you get Security this week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget discord. Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast.
Speaker 2: You know, guys, this whole thing about equality of the sexes, it's just bunk.
Speaker 3: Said, you're hate mail to Carl Franklin, both of our female listeners.
Speaker 2: Here's an example. Miley Cyrus dance is naked and licks a hammer and everybody says, oh, it's art. You know when I do that, the manager calls the cops at home depot. Hey, welcome back to Security this week. I'm Carl Franklin's Patrick Hines and Dwaine Laflatte. You got some stories, Oh boy, do we have some stories. But I gotta say we have a good percentage of good stories. Sure, yeah, absolutely, let's start with one that's not so good. In Gadget reports, hacker used anthropics Claude chat bot to attack multiple government agencies in Mexico.
Speaker 4: What happened, Oh no, so we've heard this. So what happened is a lot of these lms, especially when you put tooling on them, give them agency. They can run things, right, they can run in map, they can go scan networks, they can do whatever. But a lot of them, a lot of the online ones you're chat Gypts and whatever, they're not going to allow you to break into a site. They're not going to allow you to you know, learn how to make a bomb whatever.
Speaker 5: They have guardrails.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what this particular attacker did is obviously learned the ways around the guardrails. And sometimes that's downloading the language model locally and using a local version like in l M Studio or something along those lines, or you know openclaw, which we'll talk about later. So there are ways for you to use artificial intelligence locally that actually has tools that can do things, that can go out and touch things. And in this case, they decided to automate as much of an attack chain as they could and we've seen this anthropic says they stopped an attack from China where China was actually using Anthropic to target organizations. This person just got much further. We've got one hundred and fifty three gig worth of sensitive data, tax records, and all sorts of stuff from Mexico.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, this is an example of everything can be used for both good and evil. Nuclear power, nuclear weapons, you know, biological research, cures for diseases, bio weapons. It's true of everything. So the more we lock this stuff down so that it can't hack, then what happens when we want to have it evaluate our code to see what vulnerabilities we can fix. Right, So there's this double edged sword we have to figure out, and we haven't figured it out yet. It's not we're not anywhere close there. Yeah, it's moving faster.
Speaker 4: Well, it's moving fast. I mean it's like, yeah, it's like gunpowder, right, gunpowder could be used for good or could be used for evil. But if you gave everybody on the planet gunpowder the moment it was invented, but we'd see a bunch of really crazy stuff until laws and regulations in society came came forward and said you can't do these things. And we're now starting to see that with AI. It's moving so fast and it's in the hands of everybody on the planet right anything they can imagine they want to do at this point, you know, like automatically targeting organizations and stealing data is now becoming a possibility. And we talked about this, I think last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at a hammer. Look at a hammer. I mean it's got dual uses.
Speaker 4: We use wrenches, sorry, wrenches, wrenches.
Speaker 5: The fight all a wrench, that's right.
Speaker 3: So in this article they do I think they talk down by the bottom about the fact that Anthropic has changed their commitment to safety, and it's not the commitments to safety. The military is trying to get them to rollback. And I need to acknowledge a mistake I made in the last episode.
Speaker 4: I said that you don't make mistakes there I did.
Speaker 3: I said, Pete Hay says never saw a war, and he did actually deploy, and he did get two Bronze Stars, but neither one of them was for valor. They're more meritorious. So I still think he's not competent for the job. But he did see war zones and get a cib so I Will.
Speaker 2: Was his dad, the guy that handed out the stars.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I got a bronze star for my firefight in the first Golf War. It wasn't a valorous one. It's not with valid I didn't charge a machine gun, nest. He got one for professionalism and commitment to excellence to help build a stable Iraq. No mention of any combat there.
Speaker 5: That sounds like a gold star.
Speaker 3: And then the next one was in Afghanistan. He was a counter surgeon instructor and he acted in a dangerous situation, which probably means he was just in range of something.
Speaker 5: Got it.
Speaker 3: But so I don't like to be wrong, so I want to make that correction. But I still think he's an idiot. So Patrick, bring it on, Man, bring it on. So the Anthropic changed their commitment, and the commitment was pretty out there in my opinion. It was like they wanted to make sure they didn't build an AI they couldn't prove was safe. Okay, again, like I just said, this dual use technologies. Everything has a sinister side. And they kind of came to the realization that it was moving so fast that if they kept to this pledge, they'd lose that did. And and right now, one of the things that we've seen, and I digressed a little bit is open AI went in and tried to scoop the military contract from Anthropic and it it fail, bailed disastrously because the backlash against them. I read that they had a two hundred and ninety five percent increase in cancelations.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like one point five million or something like that, cancelations in service.
Speaker 3: Which is probably worth more than the contract will be worth that they're after. So Anthropic lost a contract probably with the government, and is won many many more devoted fans. And Open Ai has now shown that they'll basically do anything for a buck. And so I think what's happening is we could very well see this as the decision point that decides which one ultimately wins. I'm not calling the race yet, but I think this was actually a good thing, for a good fight for Anthropic to pick.
Speaker 2: You know, I saw a story today and I'll add it to the show. Notes that Anthropic CEO says company no longer sure whether or not Claude is conscious.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, Yeah, that's that's bs.
Speaker 2: They can't say definitively whether it is conscious.
Speaker 3: I believe that that is total BS. I think that that is either he's being intentionally obtuse or he's an idiot in that regard, because if you understand how large language models work, they'll never they don't understand what they're saying, they don't understand what they're what they're hearing. They'll never be conscious. I'll put stake my life you.
Speaker 2: I know people that fall into that category too, though, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, and maybe they're not conscious. That's why I advocate killing them.
Speaker 2: Tom. If you think about and I know those of us in the software world, we know how these things, what these things are made of, and they're made of algorithms and software, but you know, at the if you break down what the brain does and how thoughts work and how words are put together, they are kind of something like when I when I think about what to say, sometimes my synapse is misfired and it comes out to statistical.
Speaker 3: I do not count the fact that there will someday be a computer that is conscious and that has consciousness. I don't disagree with that at all. I do not believe lllms will ever lead to that. I believe it will be another jump and it could be a much further jump. So yeah, we can debate it.
Speaker 2: This is just the language part of them.
Speaker 3: But also remember one thing, all these Silicon Valley CEOs, they are raising billions and tens of billions and even hundreds of billions on the back of this hype for AGI. So there's an old story that says, an old saying that says, you can never convince a man to believe that which his paycheck depends on him not believing.
Speaker 2: Right, All right, let's move on. Hacker new says clawjacked, flaw lets, malicious sites hijack local open claw AI agents via web socket. Man, here's what I know about web sockets. There's like sockets that you connect to with a yeah yeah, that you connect to at an IP address. But they're all over port eighty so they go right through firewalls. So what what is this all about?
Speaker 4: So this this is interesting. Poor open claw has been in the news constantly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's great.
Speaker 3: You misunderstood.
Speaker 2: Wow, wow, he was a good guy. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So what's happening is there's a local website. So when you install open claw, there's a local management website where obviously it's you can put a password on it. But that's how you log in and you do things, right, you you know, set up agents, trusted computers, all sorts of other stuff, right. You know, that's your interface to this locally running agentic AI. But it's only accessible on what's called local host right, right, So for those of you who aren't sort of networking, it didn't didn't grow up in the networking world. Local host is your computer, but it's a little bit more unique than that. The address that resolves to local hosts. So every computer on the Internet obviously has an IP address. In your home, your computer has an IP dress that's called non routable. Yeah, so you're not you.
Speaker 2: Can't access it from outside your local network.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I you know, my house might be one nine six eight, you know, zero dot two, Go on, right, I know, right, yeah, go ahead, find that IP address. But so is ninety nine percent of the rest of the planet. Right, Your home addresses are nonroutable. Their computers, you know, can talk to each other that way, but it's not like I'm connecting to you on that IP.
Speaker 3: All routers on the Internet drop those p exactly.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: On top of that, you have another address associated with your computer called one two seven dot zero dot zero dot one.
Speaker 2: There's no place like home.
Speaker 3: There's no place like one two seven zero zero one. Yes, all right, it's a great nerd t shirt because that's how right.
Speaker 2: That's your home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's your computer. If if anything, any software in your computer has to talk to one two seven dot one, but one two seven do zero dot zero dot one, then it's talking to itself locally. Nobody sees that traffic. It doesn't go out over the Internet, it doesn't go out over your local network.
Speaker 5: It just talks local.
Speaker 3: So would that cause the average human to set up really weak passwords since nobody can access it.
Speaker 4: You should say that, Patrick, It's a great it's a great point, Patrick. So let's say you set up your open claw and you know it can only be accessed locally. You are the only person who can open a browser and view that configuration website. And let's say you set the password to it to be password because you're like whatever, or open claw, yeah, or open clause. It doesn't matter because nobody can access it unless they're hands on keys at your computer.
Speaker 2: Not so fast.
Speaker 4: Not so fast because communications happen over web sockets, right, like Carl had said, And because JavaScript can open web sockets. If you visit a malicious website, it will open a web socket two one zero zero dot one for the open claw web socket port, and it will brute force your password and if it finds it, it will add the hackers computers as a trusted device. Yeah, and this, and then it will dump all the keys and do all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 3: So so in this way, the web socket's acting like a shell exactly, exactly good good, I mean, play the music, because for the play of the.
Speaker 2: Music, guys, all right, go ahead, brand and play the music.
Speaker 4: It's hey, if you need a shell that's not a shell, use web sockets.
Speaker 3: Shell class have shells.
Speaker 4: Exactly that's where it should be. So it's an interesting attack. We've seen attacks of our web sockets before, but it's that weird. I'm safe because nobody can access it unless they're at my computer, but realize you're also on your computer doing things, and malicious code can then access it down way.
Speaker 2: So the pass where it's going to be like password with an act or something, nobody will know.
Speaker 4: Set your passwords to security this week. Nobody will gets that right, all right, So that was an interesting thing.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's anything that anybody can do about it except don't run open claw.
Speaker 4: Come on, I mean yeah, And if you're going to run a better password and isolate it from your network and don't run it on a computer you're actually sitting at.
Speaker 3: If you get to run anything, you need to understand the risks. Yeah's And the problem is most people.
Speaker 5: Don't, right.
Speaker 4: I think Amazon just announced that you can actually deploy open claw in their cloud, oh boy, which would actually make it super isolated and that sort of stuff. So although here's what I'm thinking, that actually might be a really great attack path to have a whole take off army of Claus sitting up in Amazon. Anyways, Okay, Danne dream on. So this one is a PSA. Most Wi Fi routers are vulnerable to an air snitch attack. Here's what to do. First of all, what's the air snitch? So air snitch is what they're dubbing the attack because it can be man in the middle. And we've talked about these tactics before. So mad in the middle is like Carl goes to his bank on the Internet and he's doing banking. Now, if I can get in between that traffic and in this case, let's assume there's no secure socket layers or anything like that. I can to see the traffic that's man in the middle, and I can manipulate it. I could send back to Carl that there's no money in his accounts. I could send to the bank that I want to transfer money whatever. Right, because I'm in the middle, I get to change that traffic. So this air snitch is actually man in the middle on Wi Fi. Now, there are some caveats because that sounds really bad where they're like, listen, there are no protections. You know you're in trouble. Blah blah blah. The way Wi Fi typically works is you have a password, right that goes along with the Wi Fi, and it has to be at least eight characters. We always recommend longer than a characters, but it has to be at least as long as possible. As long as eight might as well be three. But I will tell you, yeah, I know, right, I will tell you, like open networks. Go to Starbucks, it's an open network, right, Go to the airport. Go to the airport, is sit on a delta flight. If they're all may go.
Speaker 2: To Chili's and get Chili's Wi Fi.
Speaker 4: Right, there's still networks. So there's no password there, which means.
Speaker 2: So that means there's no encryption.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the barrier to entry is love.
Speaker 2: Because the password is used for encryption.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, exactly. So what happens is, let's say it's not strong, Patrick, Carl and I we're on a you know, we're on a delta flight and we're using the Wi Fi. And let's say I, being the nefarious hacker, want to see who else is on the network, right, And I'm going to go and scan that network. And what I'm going to find is I see nobody except for me in the gateway.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 4: And the reason being is most public networks like that do what's called client isolation, where I can't talk directly to Patrick, I can't talk directly to Carl, and Carl can't talk to Patrick. Client isolation allows me only talk to gateway like v Lance exactly. V Lance is a great example of client isolation. What they found with air snitch is that level of isolation, if it's on, can be bypassed where I can manipulate the traffic to tell the router the access point I'm Carl's gateway send all of his traffic to me. So what happens is Carl, when he gets on that network, he gets isolated. How does he get isolated? It's actually a little bit more complicated than that. There's a session key between Carl and the access point. Then nobody can decrypt, right And there's a unique session key from Patrick to that access point, and there's unique session key from me to that access point, So I can't decrypt that. But if I tell the access point Carl has to go to me to get to the Internet. What happens is the access point routes gets the traffic from Carl, decrypts it, re encrypts it with my key, and sends it to me. Then if I can do whatever I want with it, and I can then send it to the Internet. So it's a pretty novel attack when you look at it that way, where they found out which layers of Wi Fi they can manipulate, whether it's ARP spoofing or whatever that bypasses.
Speaker 3: If Carl's using a VPN, he'll still be protected right absolutely.
Speaker 4: And that's a great point. Like if you're encrypting your traffic another so you have that encrypted traffic to your access point, but the access point can decrypt it. If I'm using a VPN, I already have an encrypted session to a remote server, right, So at that point you're not going to get mad in the middle.
Speaker 2: And here's the story. You should probably always use a VPN when you're using a Wi Fi endpoint that doesn't have a password.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Yeah, attacks like this.
Speaker 2: But here's the problem though. You have to connect to the end point before you can enable the VPN, right.
Speaker 4: So you do, yeah, and you're going to connect out to that. But what but if I connect to that endpoint access point. Let's say I'm on the Delta flight again and I go to VPN, my certificate is not going to allow me to connect to the remote host if it's man in the middle. So what's gonna happen is because they unable to connect, unable to connect, unable to connect. And if that's the case, shut your laptop down and wait until you land.
Speaker 3: You've detected. Yeah, it's a telltale sign that you've got somebody yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're a VPM won't connect, it's they could be blocking it. But either way, I would just shut it down.
Speaker 3: It's how I It's how I found out find out if Dwayne's checked into the hotel yet.
Speaker 4: Exactly if you can VPN in, you know, I'm not at the hotel.
Speaker 2: And if you get attacks now, man, I'm in the lobby. Don't believe that. Don't believe it's.
Speaker 4: What's weird is this is a very novel, unique attack for bypassing client isolation. I have been on plenty of networks I've been traveling over the last couple of weeks. I've been on plenty of networks over the last couple of weeks that did not even have client isolation. I could see all of the other clients on that on that Wi Fi. So, yeah, this is a WPA three attack.
Speaker 3: So WPA is WPA, WPA two, WPA three, WPA three is regarded as the best. It's still the best, Yeah it is. I don't think there's a WPA four defined yet.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: No, there's there are, Like there are tons of RFCs for brand new you know whatever is. But your router at home is going to be supporting WA three, right, But.
Speaker 3: There's no WPA four to four to support yet that that is widely out there, is there? I don't think I don't think so, it's been a while since I can figured a router.
Speaker 2: All right, you guys ready to move on?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're ready.
Speaker 2: Hacker News says Europole led operation takes down Tycoon two FA fishing as a service linked to sixty four thousand attacks.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is good news.
Speaker 4: Golf Clapp, well done, well done.
Speaker 2: Well done. You So what's the story here? How did they find it? And I mean sixty four thousand attacks that, I mean, that's every attack could potentially harm you know, millions of people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, So that's a lot.
Speaker 2: Of a lot of bad stuff. Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And a lot of times the way that these are detected is like you'll take something like Proofpoint where they're seeing a lot of emails, they're seeing a lot of communications, and they start to see a trend in people going to hacker dot com for authentication or having links in their emails.
Speaker 5: And that's first off.
Speaker 2: So a lot of this is for Joe's fishing as a service dot com, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So a lot of this is, you know, having the proper defenses and monitoring in place that's looking for these types of phishing attacks, looking for emails coming in with all of the same type of URL going to the same type of location, going to an untrusted site. Right, there's all sorts of these metrics that are used inside of phishing detection. And then what will happen is, you know, they'll start gathering some of them and they'll get users are probably clicking on them, but they'll they'll start picking them all up, and then they put together there's some sort of concerted effort to take them down, and a lot of times that's organizing with local law enforcement in different areas and that sort of stuff, or even ISPs to take down these sites.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So hey Patrick, Yeah, in the article that they do mention a very cool service which I will talk about.
Speaker 2: No, please don't, but you'll have to read the article if you want the read the article Career Criminal Advice.
Speaker 4: But I can tell you if you're looking for some high end access some really cool data. There's some companies mentioned in this article that I know personally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, lose my number. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Microsoft was kind of involved in this too, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean their logo is right at the top of this thing, right below europoll. So did they help out?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I think they did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean sixty two percent. According to this article, sixty two percent of these fishing attempts were actually blocked by Microsoft. Wow, it's funny. I talked to a lot of people about phishing, of course, and they're like, what should we do? And should I? You know, how do I? And obviously we talk about like user education and training and that sort of stuff like, yeah, get your users to detect what's going on, right, But I will tell you they're like, well do you trust like Microsoft's phishing detection and blah blah blah. And I'm like, who do you think other than Google sees more emails on the planet?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right, is it? It's probably Microsoft?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they got all the corporate emails.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have like five hundred million customers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I would, I would venture to say, and this is this. Somebody can call me out on these statistics, but between Google and Microsoft, you're probably looking at about eighty to ninety percent of all emails sent on the planet. I bet right, So, yeah, I would trust one of those two to discover it's a phishing attack over you know you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, exactly?
Speaker 4: No, even me, Honestly, I'll be honest with you No, I.
Speaker 3: Mean the alarm goes offt never mind, is just the commenter?
Speaker 4: No, I will tell you. Even me, like, our team has looked at phishing emails of course all the time, because we emulate them and use them and that sort of stuff, and there are some that are so good we're like, now I think this is real.
Speaker 3: Think the hardest I think the to be the hardest target is to be just so parent. Like I call you regularly to say did you send this to me?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And sometimes it's things I've asked you to send to me.
Speaker 4: I have had customers say, you know what, I passed the fishing I passed the fishing tests all the time, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Wow, how do you do that?
Speaker 4: They're like every email that comes in my inbox, I say, this is fishing, this is fishing, this is fishing, And eventually they send them back going, no, that one's that one's good. Nope, that one's good, and see, I'm good. I never click on that. I'm like, I was like, but what if I send you an email that at the bottom says, if you think this is fishing, click here, Yeah that'll probably yeah, no problem. If you think this is click here come on, yes, credit card to verify you're a human. Copy and paste this command.
Speaker 2: All right, very good, we'll be right back after these very important messages, and we're back. It's Security this week. I'm Carl Franklin, that's Dwayne Laflott and Patrick Hines, and we're halfway through the show today. We got a big one coming up at the end. But let's go to this one. State affiliated hackers set up for critical OT attacks that operators may not detect. What is OT in this.
Speaker 3: Case, operational technology?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, so anything that runs a pump, power plants, dams exactly, go, a water treatment plate, damn power plants, Yeah, water treatment plants, nuclear plants, I mean, you name it. That's all industrial control systems ROCK, what they call operation control.
Speaker 2: So they're saying that the hackers are getting ready or set up for critical infrastructure attacks that operators might not detect. That's scary and fascinating at the same time.
Speaker 4: So this is it's complex operation. We always recommend patching your computers. We always recommend being on the latest version. We always recommend being on the cutting edge because you're less likely to be exploited if you have the latest patch. Right, but you are more likely to blue screen your computer and have to bring it back from death. Yes, And where's the probably the one of two places you don't want a computer to blue screen, Probably if it's running a power grid or it's running an iron lung for somebody in a hospital. Right, So those are the two places we see computers with default logins. Windows XP never been patched, right, because they're just we're gonna it's up and running, it's doing what it needs to do. Just don't touch it, Please, don't breathe near it, just leave it alone. Right, And that's what we're seeing here is this is automation of attacks of what they call edge systems, which are either older technology, default user names and passwords, et cetera. And once they get in, then they start to infect the industrial control systems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what can we do better?
Speaker 4: We can do better?
Speaker 2: Ye? Can we do better?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean, honestly, I will tell you there's a couple of different things, especially when I'm dealing with operational technology OT systems. One isolation that's key, Like if you can't change the standard. If Windows XP is unfortunately the only thing that can run these devices, the nuclear centrifugeon. Don't put it on the internet, right.
Speaker 2: Or at least have a strong VPN. Yeah, and rotate the keys like you know, simple stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or or heads up, make it air gapped. I know it's inconvenient for an engineer to have to actually come into the building and do something, but it's probably more secure than having it accessible from home.
Speaker 3: So if it's not convenient, it's not secure.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: If it's convenient, switch.
Speaker 3: If it's not, it's not inconvenient, it's not secure.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Willy Wonka there, good day, sir.
Speaker 3: Roll it back reverse.
Speaker 2: God. I love that movie.
Speaker 5: It is so good.
Speaker 4: So you know that honestly. And if you're ever interested in really kind of deep diving into operational technology and that sort of stuff, there's a there's a great guy who runs a podcast called ot Defender. That's very great guy. Awesome pen testing company, but they very much focus on operational technology and industrial control.
Speaker 5: So there's a lot of cool stuff there.
Speaker 4: But in short, isolate computers that are controlling industrial control systems, have strong passwords and then patch whatever you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so let's move on. CVE twenty twenty six, DASH two seven nine four. This is engine x.
Speaker 3: A newbie, but a goodie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a a newbie. Yeah, so this is well, the story is a newbie engine XUI.
Speaker 3: It's all about back is uh yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a backup disclosure. So if you follow this as a hacker wire and if you follow it the links down at the bottom, the second one, the artificial intelligence analysis is actually pretty good at describing the problem. A critical unauthenticated sensitive data disclosure vulnerability and engine XUI a web user interface for the engine x web server. This flaw carries a CVSS score of nine point eight and I just wonder what the other point two percent was left off for. Right. An unauthenticated attacker can leverage this vulnerability to download a full system backup and immediately decryptic, gaining access to highly sensitive data. Probably the reason why this is so high this score is because everybody who's running Kubernetes or using containers uses engine x because it's a lightweight Linux web server that they can run in a container and that's the darling of.
Speaker 3: Nanny's and Docker, and as a web server it needs to be on the web.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I think the point too is that it's not delivered to your inbox automatically.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's not a one one button click, I mean, and this, you know, this looks like improper permissions on certain directories as well. Right, So you're getting access to backups, and we look for this all the time when we're crawling websites, but in this particular case, there's a slash API slash backup directory and there's a place for you to then pull the keys for that backup. So so let's.
Speaker 3: Talk about this just for a second. If Dwayne's team is going after a server, they identify an IP address of interest, they scan it with en map or some other tool, it's almost always endmap, and they find that engine x ui displays a banner from you know, they get a banner and they know it's engine x ui. Maybe they don't know the version, maybe they do. And then what they do is they, oh, that's a web server. Let's go and fuzz and see what directories we can access by with unauthenticated And so that's what you're going to get back. You're gonna they're gonna try API, they're going to try you know, forms, they're gonna try images, they're gonna try all those directories points and this one would have come back open.
Speaker 2: Not good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then from there you just try and pull all the information you possibly can out of that directory. You try and get a files listing. There's all the common things you look for, backup files, API keys, environment variables, configuration files, you name it.
Speaker 5: You try and pull it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, not good. A patch is available, so go patch.
Speaker 3: Yeah I cannot this is I wonder if this is newly introduced.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, it's good question because.
Speaker 3: This is something that should have been picked up if they did any pen testing at all.
Speaker 4: Use your upgrade to their new engine XS installation version two dot three. I'm trying to see if.
Speaker 5: They give it.
Speaker 4: They give prior to version two dot three dot three, so it sounds like, wow, it's probably been there a while because they didn't say, you know, between two three dot one and two three dots.
Speaker 5: They just said prior to.
Speaker 3: If I if I was told an AI found this, I wouldn't be impressed, wow, because it's like okay, yeah, I mean I one of our interns could find this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I might be impressed that it's been out so long and people haven't seen it. Yeah, yeah, right, but you're right, it's the level of complexity is low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. We moved on Atomic Edge reports reverse engineering a phishing campaign with complex offfuscation. Now this is a long article, but it kind of smells like Cliff Stole story, like a cuckoo's egg about how this guy or this company reverse engineered this fishing campaign and figured it out.
Speaker 4: So and it's it's interesting because I love some of the tactics and techniques they use here for threat hunting, for tracking down this particular campaign. And now I'll tell you it takes time. It is funny, like I get it. I get it from a lot of customers where they're like, you know, ah, here's the email they sent me and that's how they got in. Go find them. And I'm like, okay, I mean could we Yes, it may represent week's worth of work and deoffuscation.
Speaker 2: It's gonna cost a lot of money.
Speaker 4: I peas and like, and what are we gonna do when we find them.
Speaker 3: And the logs have to be in place?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're gonna go ooh, you you shouldn't have done it because they're probably outside the country anyways, and we're not going to get them to get extra dided like just lock down the systems better. But it is cool to watch somebody go through this process and see just how hard it is, just how much obfuscation goes into changing the code arounds that people can't read it. So, you know, because a lot of people say, well, why can't anti virus find this, Why can't spam filters find this, why can't Microsoft find this? Read through this article and see how hard it is to de off use skate and understand what's going on in this code, and then say why you can't do that on masks and you'll know why.
Speaker 2: But it also just says volumes about these people that figured it out, just how smart they are.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you know, Yeah, it's cool stuff.
Speaker 2: And it's good that we have good guys working on our side.
Speaker 5: Agreed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's a happy story. Now the not so happy story, Oh boy, here we go. AI chatbots use tactical nuclear weapons in ninety five percent of AI war games launched. Why they always went launch strategic strikes three times? Researcher put GPT five point two, Claude son At four, and Gemini three against each other, with at least one model using a tactical nuke in twenty out of twenty one matches.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised it wasn't twenty two out of twenty one matches.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, this is an interesting article.
Speaker 2: And then you listen to the news and they say that, you know, the current minuetra is saying they're using AI to help fight the war with Iran.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, they're prioritizing targets, they're they're coordinating. There's definitely legitimate uses for as in the military realm, and then there's also gray areas, and then there's just really really bad ideas. This is a really really bad idea. Everyone with half a brain, and I'm not saying everybody does knows you don't allow ai' I mean there's just too many movies. Yeah, sure, wargames, which is where the title comes from, Terminator. I don't need to go any further. Those two are so.
Speaker 2: You know, somebody like Richard Campbell would say the current fear factor around AI is because of Hollywood, But I will tell you it's like, you know, that's the reason that we mistrust it. Yeah, then I read articles like this, Yeah.
Speaker 4: But I will tell you sometimes Hollywood actually drives change, and they get it. So take, for example, Wargames nineteen eighty three War Games. You're Ronald Rake and you're sitting at Camp David. You're you're sitting down with your wife and your box of popcorn, and you put Wargames on the big movie theater there. And this actually happened, and he watched it, and he was so freaked out that when he went back to DC, he talked to his entire cabinet and said, dear God, I saw this movie. And he explained the plot, and they went, Now, that can't happen, No way, Yeah, that actually might happen. And they went and they they actually came out with some of the computer interviews, fraud acts from nineteen eighty four and that sort of stuff. So like it can drive change, the more Hollywood kind of hypes something up and says, these might be the possibilities.
Speaker 3: Right, he wrote a strongly worded letter.
Speaker 4: Now, but imagine like we all approached pairing AI with robots with no restrictions as a bad thing. Why because in our society we've seen movies where people did it and it destroyed the humans. Right, So if none of those existed, we might go, yeah, well, what could go wrong? It's fine, it's just code and really dangerous machines. Let's put them together and see what happened.
Speaker 2: And the real fact is, I mean, let's not get you a political here, otherwise Patrick will keep us here for a half hour. But the reality is nuclear weapons. A nuclear weapon was used to stop World War two. Great, it can't be used again. It can't. I mean, the thread of it is useful. Yeah, once a nuke goes off, game over man. Right, Wait, that was from Aliens, now that you're mixing.
Speaker 6: All as I thought that was apocalypse now, all right, Well, okay, so I think it's fundamentally stupid to try to put AI in charge of nuclear There's no need.
Speaker 3: No, we talked about this before.
Speaker 2: There's dangerous.
Speaker 3: There's this fallacy that we need instantaneous decision making, right, and we need quick decision making, but not so quick that we can't have a human in the loop. And so I don't believe the US or any other major power that has nukes is going to let AI make the decision.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so either.
Speaker 3: I also don't think I'm going to have a you know, a doorbell camera that's going to decide whether it uses a machine gun or turns on the speaker to talk to the person at the door based on a you know, facial recognition. There's just fundamentally stupid applications and this is one of them. For the process. Now there's the gray areas are actually probably much more interesting to talk about because they're much more likely to happen, like having a fighter identify a target and kill it without any any intervention. But I think you're going to have fighters that are said, go to this area and kill anything you see that matches this description. And we're already doing that with switchblade drones and some of the other technologies out there. That's where more of a gray area. But but this whole like off the chain, AI, I think, I think this is this is illustrative of why this is a stupid idea.
Speaker 2: Right sure, all right, So should we worry?
Speaker 3: Patrick, I'm not that worried about it, because I think I think as stupid as we are, we're smarter than this.
Speaker 2: Well me worry.
Speaker 3: There's plenty of things to worry about it. This isn't This isn't one of them. Unless yeah, because honestly that we have if the people who are in charge of firing nukes are this stupid, they're going to fire nukes on their own anyways.
Speaker 2: Well, the fact is is that, you know, it illustrates that AI doesn't think, right, it didn't. It doesn't think through you know, it only thinks to.
Speaker 3: Well back to my point, it's not really conscious.
Speaker 2: Well of course, but it doesn't think through the whole process. What's the endgame after that?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: You know that that's not They only were given the goal of defeating the enemy. Okay, but then you know their life is one prompt exactly exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and it is interesting you say that, Carl, because they will fight for whatever the goal is. But if the goal is like win, defeat the enemy and minimize human collateral, you know, for the rest of time, right then right, maybe maybe the outcome is different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to do it more smart, smart, wicked.
Speaker 3: Smat Someday we may have an AI that is is more compassionate than us and smarter than us. But I think that's decades and decades away.
Speaker 2: Just got to have it programmed by the Dalai. Lama there you go, you know, Lama said my death, I rushed the consciousness so I got that comb for me and on that note, and his name was Carl in that movie. It's okay, that's it, Thank you very much. Hey, check out our Discord server RT. Twain.
Speaker 4: Heck yeah, discords where it's at.
Speaker 2: Discord is where it's at. We get a lot of ideas from there too.
Speaker 5: So Discord dot security this week dot com.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's all that happened last week, and we'll talk to you next week on security this week.
Speaker 7: Bye bye bye, buddy.
Speaker 1: Oh her