Speaker 1: Hey everyone, it's Daily Hope with Pastor Rick Warren. So we're continuing with this series called Daring Faith, The Key to Miracles. And in this series you're learning how to have a bold, unshakable faith. And so far this series is giving all of us powerful tools to share our faith, a faith that gives you courage to impact the world around. You can't wait to get to today's message. Here's Rick with part one of a message called Daring to Plant in Faith.
Speaker 2: Last week, in part five of Daring Faith, we learned that God says you can learn a lot about living by faith by looking at three kinds of people. Successful athletes, successful soldiers, and successful farmers.
Speaker 3: We covered that in pretty good detail.
Speaker 2: But I told you I wanted to come back to this farmer metaphor because the Bible compares the Christian life to gardening over and over and over again.
Speaker 3: They're on your outlines. This is eight twenty two.
Speaker 2: The Bible says, as long as the earth endures, there will be seed time and harvest. There are laws of seed time, and there are laws of harvest. In Galatians six seven says this don't be misled. No one makes a fool of God. Whatever a person plants, he might harvest. Though it says that says he what hey will count on it circle that word will Now today, one I want to teach you is daring to plant in faith, and specifically I want to teach you God's laws of the harvest, God's laws of planting and harvesting. Or in the olden days, it was called the laws of sowing and reaping. Most people, if you say the word sowing today, they think of like a needle and thread sew, not sw But when you talk about sowing and reaping, that's the old style. Before there were you know, farm machinery, people had to sew seed by hand, and it was literally called broadcasting. It was broad casting. You get carried a bunch of seed in a sack and as you walk through you broad cast it, which is, by the way, where we get the terms broadcasting for television and radio and things like that. Because you're sowing seed on a wide distance. It's not just planning one little seed at the time, you're broadcasting it or you are sewing. Now, if you ignore the laws of sowing and reaping in your life, it's going to hurt you. It will harm you if you wisely use the laws of sowing and reaping in your life, You're going to be blessed by it. And you can use the laws I'm about to teach you literally in every single area of your life, daring to plant in faith. You can use the laws of sowing and reaping and relationships.
Speaker 3: You can use the laws.
Speaker 2: In your health. What you sow, you will reap. You can use it in your finances. You can use it in your career learning how to plant wisely in your career and how to harvest wisely in your career. The point that I want to make before I get into these laws is this, whatever you need more of in your.
Speaker 3: Life, you need to plant in faith.
Speaker 2: If you need more you feel like you need more appreciation, you need to start appreciating other people, plant seeds of appreciation. If you feel like you need more talent, you need to start using the little talent you've got and God will give you more. If you need more time, if you need more money, if you need more energy.
Speaker 3: Whatever you need more of, you need to learn.
Speaker 2: The laws of planting and harvesting, or sowing and reaping. You need to plant what you need. Now, let me go through these laws pretty quickly. Number one, write these down. Everything starts as a seed. That's the first law of the harvest. Everything starts as a seed. Every idea started as a seed. Idea, Every dream started as a dream seed. Every achievement, every nation America started as an idea, a seed idea of life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness. This church started as a seed. Your life started as a seed. When your father's seed was connected with your mother's egg, your life began. Literally, everything that is living on the planet Earth came from a seed. If it didn't come from a seed, it's not alive. And so everything starts as a seed. Now, in Genesis chapter one, God says this, let the land have seed bearing plants and trees that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their varieties. Now circle that phrase according to their varieties, because I'll come back to that a little bit.
Speaker 3: Now, what are we talking about when we're talking about planning? A seed?
Speaker 2: A seed is anything? Write this down. A seed is anything value that I give away. A seed is anything valuable that I give away. When you give away praise, there's value to that. When you give away advice, that's good advice. There's value to that. When you give away your time, there's value to that. When you give away your money, there's value to that. When you give away your experience to help other people, there's value to that.
Speaker 3: Anytime you give any.
Speaker 2: When you give your love away, there's great value to that. A seed is anything that I give away in order to help somebody else.
Speaker 3: So it all starts as a seed.
Speaker 2: It could be time, money, appreciation, wisdom, energy, whatever. By the way, words can be seeds. Words can be seeds that you plant in people's mind, all right, and they can grow, they grow, they do grow, and they bear fruit. And so you need to choose your words wisely, especially when you're talking with people that you love, children, husband, your wife, your friends.
Speaker 3: Those are seeds.
Speaker 2: What kinds of Let me just ask you, what kind of seeds are you planning in your relationships? Are you planning seeds of trust? Are you planning seeds of distrust? Are you planning seeds of kindness? Are you planning seeds of crankiness and anger and bitterness meanness? Are you planning seeds that build up? Are you planning seeds that tear down?
Speaker 3: You will reap whatever you sew. Okay, number two long number two.
Speaker 2: Nothing happens until the seed is planted. Nothing happens until the seed is planted. It must be given away. It can't do any good in a bag. Now, Jesus used this principle explain why he came to die in John twelve twenty four. Jesus said this, unless a grain of wheat, that's a seed. Unless a grain of wheat is buried in the ground, it cannot reproduce. But if it dies, it produce much fruit. You know, a year ago I bought some pumpkin seeds and they never sprouted.
Speaker 3: I forgot to plant them. They're still in the packet. I found them this week.
Speaker 2: Okay, no wonder, no wonder that a seed is worthless in a bag. Now, imagine a farmer going to a feed store, buying a big sack of feed or a seed for some crop he's going to grow, and then he puts it in his barn, and then he's afraid to give it away, and he goes.
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, I want to hold onto it. I might not have enough.
Speaker 2: I might not have We would say that is foolish. Seeds are meant to be planted. Seeds are meant to be given away. What I'm teaching you is that planting and sewing is an act of faith. It's an act of faith because it's saying, when I plant the seed, I believe that something great is going to happen. Because I plant this seed, something great will happen. Because I'm gonna give away what I've got. I'm not gonna keep it in my bag. I'm gonna give it away, and I believe it's gonna produce some fruit. Now, planting seeds is also risky because you can't see what's happening under the dirt.
Speaker 3: Most of you know, I'm a farmer at heart.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago, I actually grew fifty six kinds of vegetables that year. This year, I've cut it way way back, but I am growing a lot of kale, and I'm going you know, vegetables and tomatoes and peppers and all kinds of different stuff. Now I can't go out to my garden and every day dig it up to see if it's growing. When you plant a seed, it's covered up and it's buried, and you don't know is that thing gonna sprout or not? Is it gonna sprout or not? And That's where the faith comes in. Because you can't see it. What if it doesn't sprout, You're tempted to dig it up.
Speaker 3: What if it fails. What if I give my seat away nothing comes.
Speaker 2: Of it, Then I'm up a creek without a paddle. That's where the faith comes in. Jesus said it like this, Mark chapter four. The Kingdom of God is like someone who plants seed in the ground.
Speaker 3: Notice this is a parable of the Kingdom.
Speaker 2: The Kingdom of God is like someone who plants seed in the ground night and day.
Speaker 3: Whether the person is asleep or awake.
Speaker 2: The seed is still growing, but the person doesn't know how it grows. You can't see it until it sprouts. And that's the element of faith. Okay, number three. When I have a need, I should plant a seed. When a farmer looks out on his barn crop a baron field and he sees no crops in his field, he doesn't gripe, he doesn't complain, he doesn't even pray, He just starts planting. There's sometimes you should not pray. There's sometimes you should plant instead of prey. The farmer can look at a barnfield go, oh, God, please make my corn crop grow, and God saying, did you plant any seat?
Speaker 3: No? But I really make it grow? Did you plant any seed?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: But make it grow. It isn't going to happen. Sometimes you don't pray, you plant. This is the law of sowing and reaping. And so he just starts planning because no sowing, no harvest. The Bible says this an Ecclesiastes eleven. Do your planting in the morning, and by the way, he says, in the evening too.
Speaker 3: In other words, all the time.
Speaker 2: You never know whether it will all grow well, or whether one planting will do better than the others. Have you ever heard the phrase don't put all your eggs in. Yeah, that's what investor's saying. This is what the Bible said this year. By the way, that verse, that idea is from the Bible. It's from Ecclesiastes. But here's another example. He says, when you sew, sew in a bunch of areas, plant in a bunch of areas. Do your planning all the time. You should be planting good seeds all the time with your life, because you never know where it's going to grow. Now, let me just be re lost. Some of you think you're waiting on God, and you're not. He's waiting on you. Some of you think you're waiting on God for a job, or for a miracle, or a spouse or something that you want. God is waiting on you. He's waiting on you. To start planting seeds. When I have a need, I plant a seed. If you don't make a deposit, there is no return. So whatever I need more of, I need to give it away. If I need more energy, I use the energy in the gym to get more energy. If I need more talent, I give away what I've got, and I get more talent by using what little i've got, time, money, anything. Whatever I need more of, I give it away when I haven't needed Plant of seed number four. Whatever I plant is what I will reap. This is the law of reproduction. Whatever I plant is whatever I will reap. If a farmer plants a field with beans, what crop should he expect to get?
Speaker 3: Watermelon? No?
Speaker 2: If I plant corn in the ground, do you think I'm gonna expect zucchini? No, You're gonna get in life whatever you plant. This is an inviolable rule of the universe. It'll either work for you or against you. He doesn't wonder about what's gonna grow. He doesn't doubt what's gonna grow. If I plant corn, I'm gonna get corn, because whatever I plant is what I'm going to reap. Galatians sixty seven. Let's read it aloud together. You will reap exactly what you plant. Now, there's a phrase in jenis Us over and over that's used, and it's the phrase after its own kind, and that phrase is talking about here that we always reap the same thing that we sew. Now again, listen, this works both ways. It can either work for you or it can work against you. Whatever I dish out is what I'm going to get back in life. And the Bible talks about this a lot. In fact, let me just show you some verses on the screen.
Speaker 3: Here. Look at these. Here's some negative examples.
Speaker 2: Job four eight. People who plant trouble harvest it. Look at the next one, Proverbs twenty two, verse eight. Whoever sows sin reaps weeds Proverbs twenty two eight. And the New Living Translation says those who plant seeds of injustice will harvest disaster.
Speaker 3: Hoseah ten thirteen.
Speaker 2: You planted wickedness, and now you reaped evil Matthew seven to two. Whatever measure you you used to judge others will be used to measure how you are judged.
Speaker 3: Oh, what you sew you're gonna reap.
Speaker 2: Now, let me show you some positive examples. Proverbs eleven eighteen. The one who sows righteousness will reap a sure reward. Hoseah ten twelve. Plant good seeds of righteousness, and you'll harvest a crop of my love James three four three eighteen. Peacemakers plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of goodness. Are you getting the idea that this is not some minor message of the Bible?
Speaker 3: The laws of the harvest.
Speaker 2: You will reap what you sew with your children, with your wife, with your business.
Speaker 3: It'll either work for you or it'll work against you.
Speaker 2: You sow anger, guess what you're gonna get angry kids, you sew patients, Guess what you're gonna get patient kids. You will reap what you sow, and you get exactly what you put out. I cannot sow irresponsibility and reap success. I cannot sow laziness and reap reward. I cannot sow stinginess and reap a bless him. The Bible is full of examples of this, both negative and positive. Jacob, Jacob, his name's supplanter meant he was going to cheat people. And Jacob cheated his brother and cheated his dad.
Speaker 3: So you know what happened. His father in law cheated him. He reaped what he sewed.
Speaker 2: Hayman was a man who reaped a bitterness, and he built these gallows to kill a guy named Mordecai. He ended up being hung on his own gallows. This happens all the time. Galatians six seven and eight.
Speaker 3: I love this. In a message, it says this.
Speaker 2: The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others and ignoring God, harvests a crop of weeds. That's all he'll have to chaw for his life. But here's the good news. The one who plants in response to God, letting God's spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop, a real, eternal, real life, eternal life. You're going to harvest whatever you plant. Okay, everything starts a seed. Nothing happens to the seed's planted. Whatever I have, when I have a need, I plant a seed, and whatever I plan is what I'm going to read. Number five, here's a big one. I'm not the only sower. You're not the only planter in the universe. Other people are planting all around you. And by the way, you are reaping both good and bad from those who went before you.
Speaker 3: Some of you grew up sadly.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry for this in families with a history of abuse and a history of alcohol, and maybe a history of divorce, and you have to decide the chain breaks now. I can't control the past, but I'm going to break the chain now.
Speaker 3: I talked to a guy in college one time.
Speaker 2: I was a good friend of my name Rick, who he said, four generations of my family all got divorced. He said, I am bound intermined. That is not going to happen in my life. The chain breaks now. You are harvesting both good and bad from your past because you're not the.
Speaker 3: Only person who sold.
Speaker 2: Everything you do has consequences, and by the way, your life is going to affect future generations.
Speaker 3: So you need to take it very very seriously.
Speaker 1: What a great message today from pastor Rick. There's something I always can use in my own life after listening to this show. All right, would you like to step out of a life of ordinary existence and into a life of extraordinary faith? Then please order the Daring Faith DVD and study Kit by Pastor Rick Warren. Here's Rick to tell you more.
Speaker 2: How'd you like to have a bold, unshakable faith that gives you the courage to make the changes you've always wanted to see in your life, your work, your family, and in the world.
Speaker 4: That's not a dream. That's exactly what God wants to do in your life. He wants you to learn to live by daring faith. The Bible says, according to your faith, it will be done under you. Now, to help you develop that kind of faith, I put together a Daring Faith Study Kit and it includes a DVD and it includes a workbook. Now there's six sessions in the Daring Faith Study Kit, and it'll teach you these six things. How to build a life of faith, how to expect the best from God, how to stretch your imagination in order to see what God wants to do in your life, to expand your vision. How to have the courage to take the initiative with your faith, how to face your fears with bold faith, and how to believe and what to do while you're waiting on God. You cannot afford to miss this series. It was one of the most important series I've ever done at Saddleback Church. And the Bible tells us in Ephesian three twelve, because of our faith in Him, we dare to have boldness and courage and confidence in coming to God with freedom and without fear. I want you to have that boldness, that courage, and that confidence when you come to God in prayer. I want you to come to Him without fear and come to Him in freedom. God will use this Daring Faith Study Kit just like He used it in the lives of tens of thousands of other people. He'll use it in your life if you'll trust Him in all things. So get this kit today.
Speaker 1: You know today, when you give a gift to help daily hope take the hope of Jesus to a hurting world, we will send you a copy of the Daring Faith Study Kit, and it has six videos, sessions and a workbook. And that's our way of saying thanks for your gift. So go to Pastorick dot com, or you could text the word hope to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four to get this great study tool again, that's pastorick dot com or text the word hope to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four and thank you so much for your support. We hope you'll join us next time when we look into God's Word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.