Speaker 1: Dark Cast Network indie pods.
Speaker 2: With the Dark Side. Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm Ashley, a true crime fanatic.
Speaker 2: I'm Dan, I don't know anything about true crime.
Speaker 3: Together, we host fuck That, a true crime podcast that covers cases that highlight important topics that are often overlooked, such as wrongful convictions, domestic violence, and social inequities, sprinkled in with the occasional case with spooky themes. If you are looking for your next true crime fix delivered candidly with a hint of sarcasm, you can listen and subscribe to bi weekly episodes of Fuck That wherever you listen to your podcasts, and don't forget to give us a follow on Facebook and Twitter, at f That Pod and at f that Underscore Pod on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Hey y'all, welcome back to Maltain Murders. I'm Heather, I'm Dylan.
Speaker 2: Hello Dylan.
Speaker 1: Hello, how are you today? I am doing terrific?
Speaker 2: You are? Oh well, that is wonderful, Dylan, I am excited. Did we have Larry Flint Part two to get into today?
Speaker 1: Cannot wait.
Speaker 2: We're a little delayed as usual, but before we get started, wanted to give a big shout out to our newest patrons, Holly and Lauren. What shout out to Holly and Lauren. They are responsible for everything that it's said today.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for your support over at the patreoon.
Speaker 2: Uh so you're sponsoring Dylan's mouth right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're holding my mouth up. Oh goodness, you're supporting this mouth.
Speaker 2: If you guys are looking for some wonderful podcasts, check out It's summer. Maybe you're taking a road trip, flying somewhere. You need something to listen to before your summer vacation, or while you're on summer.
Speaker 1: Vacation, or just to drown the kids out.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I do, Dylan. I go to the swimming pool. I pop in my waterproof earbuds that you bought me. Wonderful gift, by the way, Oh, one of the best gifts you've ever given me. I get into the pool, I'm floating, I'm relaxing, soaking it up, soaking up the rays, and I'm tuning out all the screaming kids that are jumping in around me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you just find a good podcast like Mountain Murders.
Speaker 2: I do. I listen to some of the dark Cast Network podcasts stilling We've got the Final Trace. I highly recommend Rainbow Crimes, True Crimes of the LGBTQ podcast. CJ does an excellent job murdering scripted Stop who does that? With Jackie and Jenna.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: Love and Murder Fuck that a true crime podcast Conspiring to Argue, which is also an interesting podcast. You know, we love to state our opinions. I like to listen to other podcasters with strong opinions, going back and forth a bit debating. It's always fun.
Speaker 1: There's nothing like a good spirited debate.
Speaker 2: Psychology of the Strange is another excellent podcast if you were into hearing stories about folklore, which I love some good folklore stories. Of course, you can't be Appalachian and not love some good folk tales, right. I'm also discussing fear some of the dark psychology. We get into a little bit of that here, but she definitely covers more of that and then shout out to the family Plot podcast. Nice Welcome home, so many check out darkcastnetwork dot com to find out more about these awesome indie podcasts doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is a great place to find your little indie pods, you know, the little pods that could and you know they're done with a love and passion more than anything.
Speaker 2: Some of these indie pods are doing great things, so you don't want to miss out. You want to make sure you check out some of those again for your listening content this summer, so many summer hours for podcasts.
Speaker 1: It's true. I love it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm doing all summer. I've been listening to audiobooks and podcasts and catching up, delved into some crazy cases, some some pods. I've been listening to cases I've never heard before.
Speaker 1: Which is the best?
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, Dylan, are you ready to discuss Larry Flint? Today? We have part two of Larry's story and it just keeps getting weirder.
Speaker 1: I must say, since Heather draft we did part one, I've done a lot of research with the you know, stuff that Larry created and worked. So, yeah, if you need to know anything.
Speaker 2: Just what what does that mean?
Speaker 1: It's a joe.
Speaker 2: You've been doing your own research.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been looking at hustlers.
Speaker 2: You've been going down the rabbit hole Butler magazine.
Speaker 1: But only if they're a doll geared in like really old stickies and like from behind someone's you know garage. Yeah, out in the garage behind the little mini behind.
Speaker 2: The refrigerator for seventy years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they have to be a little bit moist.
Speaker 2: Do you remember finding these kind of nooti magas when you were a kid. Did you ever stumble across a big collection by chance?
Speaker 1: Uh? No, I did not. My father decided he didn't want to live where we did, so he wasn't around. So you know, there was wasn't that. I didn't ever find my mom's nudi mags shout out, Mom, you hit him? Well, I guess, but no, I literally never found a stash.
Speaker 2: We know that your mom. She is like an intellectual. She was in the Playboy for the articles.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: I had an uncle, had a roundy uncle, and he had like this little well. He had a piece of property behind my grandma's house, but for years it was empty, and he had like this little cabin type of building that he had built on the property right where he would hang out sometimes. I guess you could say, when he.
Speaker 1: Didn't have anywhere else to go.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, maybe because it was like a party cabin type of thing. So my cousin and his daughter, she was a couple years younger than me. You know, we would always be like, oh, the playhouse for us, So we would go kind of hang out in there, right, but it was you know, it was a party pad. So you might find some like beer cans in the corner or whatever. But I remember he had a stash of like Playboy and Penthouse and Hustler. Okay, so I think my first introduction was like maybe eight nine, ten somewhere in there.
Speaker 1: So and you were looking through them, well, yeah, I was like what is this?
Speaker 2: But I remember thinking, like, not even thinking much about the nudity, but just being like, these women are so glamorous because they were all so beautiful, right, and had like perfect hair and tans and a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of fashion going on there. Yeah, the clothes that were taking all well you know.
Speaker 2: The pearls with the big hair or whatever. And in my like eight nine year old brain, I was like, these women are glamorous.
Speaker 1: This is like glamor, right, these.
Speaker 2: Women are very glamorous. Oh and I can see their titties, but look they're glamorous, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, It's funny because you know, you know, I certainly had some friends who found you know, access here and there and it's all very It's almost comical to think about how hush hush and taboo it felt just to you know, come across something like that as a as a child or a young person. And nowadays it's just so everything is just so raw and in your face. It's almost like it's lost a luster to a degree, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess there's something about having that innocence of being a young person or being kind of naive about these things, and then you stumble upon like maybe your first like a dirty magazine or like a movie like a VHS, and you get some weird cover and you're like, what versus it's just so accessible today.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and they would have the rack and like convenience stores and stuff that had the it was like behind right, it was off to the side or some in a corner and it would be covered and all that they would be wrapped in plasts. I would just.
Speaker 2: See like the top, you get the name of the magazine or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I always saw it. And then you see some guy or whatever over there like kind of looking through them, and you're like, oh, cayves of creep, you know.
Speaker 2: Or you would have like the video store, the VHS store where you would go rimped a movie and they might have a back room.
Speaker 1: I wanted to go in that back room you did, just because you're telling me I can't, Like, I want to go through that dirty curtain.
Speaker 2: The Dirty Curtain, dude, it's a great band name, the Dirty Curtain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome the Dirty Curtains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're opening up at Muddy Roots this year. Literally, are you ready to get into today's episode, Dylan? We have a lot to talk about, and like I said, it just keeps getting weirder. Larry has had and you know rip Larry passed away a few years ago, but Larry has had a very interesting life.
Speaker 1: Well it's certainly seemed that way in his early life that you described in part one. So let's just dive straight into.
Speaker 2: Part two because it continues to get stranger as the years passed. So last episode we covered Larry Flint's early success and rise to fame. Larry is a millionaire now, he's living in a wealthy enclave in Ohio and has faced his first trial for obscenity and organized crime. His brother Jimmy and Althea and Hustler's cove vice president Alan Van Shake were arresting charged alongside Larry. As we mentioned last episode. Now, in nineteen seventy three, the Supreme Court's landmark ruling in Miller versus California allowed local communities to apply their own laws regarding obscenity.
Speaker 1: And I could imagine that's when things really kind of get hay go hey, hey, why right?
Speaker 2: I forgot to mention in the last episode that Larry had already been involved with the prosecutor Simon Lace Junior. Back in nineteen seventy two, Larry was caught in the middle of a bar fight and during the fight a gun had gone off. After this discharge, Larry consoled a woman who was there and had witnessed this fight and the gun. She was upset. I mean, I think most of us would be if we were in a bar that ended with some gunfire, right, Yeah. So she put her head down on Larry's lap and she's just crying and he's comforting her. She has her head in his lap, and he ends up being charged with firing the gun, even though he did not fire the weapon, and Simon Lace tried to charge Larry with sodomy, alleging that this woman wasn't crying in his lap, but was instead giving Larry quote Felucio.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that sound that seems ridiculous. It's right.
Speaker 2: This guy seems like he's really obsessed with perversion.
Speaker 1: Well, and also seems like he has something against Larry. Right, I mean, he didn't shoot the gun, but he's getting you know, he's catching that charge.
Speaker 2: Why is that any first thought though, Like, it can't be that Larry's consoling this woman. It automatically has to be something sexual. See that lets me know this is all more about Simon than it is Larry.
Speaker 1: Well, so this thing just happened, this you know, fight and a gun, and everybody's kind of all to hell. And but who in the world would.
Speaker 2: Be like, Hey, yeah, I'm really turned on by all this. I'm very aroused.
Speaker 1: I bet I know what'll make you feel better.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to get into your pants.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's crazy pull it out.
Speaker 2: Nobody would do that, well, I'm I mean maybe most people. I'm not going to say nobody's gonna do that, because in today's world, I think there will always be somebody who will do that. You know what I'm saying, Simon Lee's Junior, the ultra conservative prosecutor whose mission was to bring down pornography, adult bookstores, movie theaters, et cetera, had a very close relationship with a man named Charles Keating. Keating had been key to getting Lays elected back in nineteen seventy one. Keating's brother ran the Cincinnati Inquirer, a local newspaper. Now, during this time, the press was constantly reporting on Larry, painting him as this evil smut peddler who was single handedly responsible for all the crimes in the state of Ohio.
Speaker 1: Okay, every criminal.
Speaker 2: Activity could be traced back to Larry and his pornography industry.
Speaker 1: So basically he was the kingpin, Yes, the puppet master, controlling all crime in Ohio.
Speaker 2: You robbed a bank, it must be Hustler magazine. Well, instead of being angry at the press, Larry found it flattering. I mean, his attitude was definitely that free press, no matter how positive or negative, is still free press.
Speaker 1: Well it's true, I mean, you can't buy this type of coverage, right.
Speaker 2: The focus on him was almost, like I said, flattering. Larry had no problem being the center of attention. And so Larry, I mean, he found it amusing. Like, oh, you guys are all about little old me. You want to make little old me famous? Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, and what's funny is that this is in essence of pressure campaign they're trying to wage against Larry to you know, and some people it would work. They don't want to be talked about. They don't want to be in the news or in newspapers.
Speaker 2: They don't want their reputations slander dragged through the mud, business aired, their personal you know, life aired out there. But Larry just doesn't care.
Speaker 1: And yeah, for a guy like Larry, he's like, gosh, every day if he's on the you know, front page, it's it's good for him. Right.
Speaker 2: With a Supreme Court ruling, now the local authorities have the right to determine what is obscene, like two people having sex obscene? Oh god, it could be a number of things, so gross. Miller versus California was one of the most important First Amendment cases because it sought to answer a deceptively simple question, what is obscenity? The Supreme Court held that obscenity is not protected by the First Amendment, but defining the term obscenity has proven to be extremely difficult. The case involved Marvin Miller, who mailed unsolicited brochures advertising sexually explicit books and films. A restaurant owner who received one complained, and Miller was convicted under California's obscenity laws. The Supreme Court used the case to create a new standard for determining what counts as legally obscene. They developed a three part test the court called the Miller Test. Oh, material is legally obscene only if all three of the are true. First, the average person applying contemporary community standards would find that the work appeals to a prurient, meaning, morbid, or unhealthy interest in sex.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Two, the work depicts sexual conduct in a patently offensive way, as specifically defined by state law.
Speaker 1: That's still leaving a lot of room for a subjective or objective. I don't know what the right word is there, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well it's subjective. Objective is like fair Fax true, Okay, So yeah, I mean one subjective is like opinion interpretation.
Speaker 1: One person's this grosses me out? Is another person I found this very appealing. Yeah, I mean so, yeah, it's so tricky.
Speaker 2: Number three, Taken as a whole, the work lacks serious literary, artistic political or scientific value. If even one of these elements is missing, the material cannot legal be classified as obscene.
Speaker 1: Oh so that's why sometimes in pornos they wear lab codes.
Speaker 2: Okay, it makes total sense, now do they really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like we're going to do an experiment. You know, what have you been watching?
Speaker 2: Why is this a slippery slope? Well, the biggest criticism is that obscenity isn't an objective concept like fraud or theft. It depends heavily on culture values and personal judgment. Community standards vary, Like what might be considered acceptable in New York City could be considered obscene in a small rural community.
Speaker 1: Right, and that is the problem. Right. But I mean, in a way, you could argue this allows each community to craft their definition of obscenity to what fits the majority of their population.
Speaker 2: Right. And that's why the Supreme Court essentially handed back with this case of Miller versus California.
Speaker 1: But what's the problem in something like that, I think is because it does lead to legal issues, is that people can they can use it against people.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's why we're discussing how this is a slippery slope. Dalan Critics argue that constitutional rights should not be changed dramatically based on zip code, and I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you do need a national standard when it comes to something like that.
Speaker 2: You must consider that community standards change over time. You know, material once considered shocking often becomes mainstream. Some of these examples include James Joyce's Ulysses, D. H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover, and many films now that are shown on television. If standards evolve, something banned today might be protected tomorrow. Also, artistic value is subjective. Suppose to people view the same piece of artwork and one sees pornography and the other sees social commentary, artistic expression, or psychological exploration. So who decides the Miller test says, juries may decide some questions, while the quote serious value prong is evaluated more objectively by courts. But even so, disagreement is common. And as you mentioned before, this could be used maybe to abuse.
Speaker 1: Certain people, or it could be weaponiz right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's part of the discussion as well, is that governments can abuse vague standards. This is where our First Amendment advocates become concerned because history shows that governments have labeled many controversial works as obscene simply because they challenged prevailing beliefs, like, for example, authorities have attempted to suppress LGBTQ literature, feminist writing, birth control information works discussing interracial relationships, and also some avant garde art. If obscenity becomes whatever offends them a majority, it risks becoming a tool for censorship rather than a narrow exception to free speech.
Speaker 1: And see, you know, I think sometimes we get lost in the term of a the government, right, the government almost like this faithless entity, but it's just made up of people, right, They're the people at the top of the system, wielding the levers of power. And I think inherently people are flawed in the ways that they that can go to their head, right, or they could want to destroy someone for some personal reason, or I mean just all these problems with something like that. And the government, you know, is almost impossible to fight, right, even on a small scale in your local area. You know, I've always heard all my life you can't fight city hall, right when it comes to something like utilities or something you AI data centers, AI data centers are going to do them, whether you want them or not, and just anything like that is almost impossible to win because the system that you're going to turn to for help is that same system, right, I mean, it's just it's very strange. And that's why when you have that's why there needs to be clarity in laws and things like that, because they're room for subjective ideas is where the problem arises. Right. And then another problem is that once one in one instance, you may be like, yes, that is obscene, Our kids need to be protected, the public needs to be protected. But then again, those same laws could be applied to something that you don't find obscene at all and that you agree with, and now it's being yeah, I mean, what do you do? Well?
Speaker 2: A lot of people might be asking like why did the Core allow subjectivity? But the Core believed a rigid national definition was impossible. Judge Warren e Berger wrote that local communities should have some ability to decide what they find acceptable stead of imposing the standards of the most permissive areas on the entire country. So, in other words, the Court accepted some subjectivity because it viewed obscenity as deeply tied to local moral judgments. Many constitutional scholars argue the Miller test is increasingly difficult to apply because of the Internet. If everyone can instantly access the same material online, which community standards apply a conservative, rural county Los Angeles the entire country? I mean, those questions have become harder to answer in the digital age, and I think the core constitutional debate the disagreement ultimately comes down to competing principles. You know, you have supporters of the Miller test arguing that the First Amendment was never intended to protect every form of sexually explicit material, and community should retain some authority to regulate obscenity. Critics argue that because obscenity depends on change, cultural norms and subjective judgments, allowing the government to decide what is offensive creates a risk that protected speech will be suppressed. They contend that vague standards can chill lawful expression and may be applied unevenly. This tension between protecting free expression and permitting regulation of obscenity is why Miller versus California remains one of the most debated First Amendment decisions more than fifty years after it was decided, and I think it's important to discuss this since Larry's life involves fights for free speech and First Amendment, that we really do need to take the time to delve into this case and kind of discuss it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, now, would you say, I've always thought I knew of Larry Flint, and I knew kind of, you know, of the free free speech angle, and I kind of wondered, is he just using this to argue against something he wants right, say, profit or just whatever, just or just a thumb in the eye to everyone around him. But it seems to me, even in the little bit that I've learned about him in Part one, he really truly believes in this rite to free speech and expressure.
Speaker 2: Well, I think in the beginning perhaps he was just looking to put a thumb in the eye of these local authorities. But I do think that Larry was invested in First Amember rights and becoming a free speech advocate. And I think you'll see kind of as our story goes on, maybe why he is molded into more of an advocate than just a you know, like a raucous rabble rouser.
Speaker 1: Right. And that's always the problem with something like this is who gets to decide what is obscene? Because that's the process, right.
Speaker 2: So Larry mailed out four hundredenty twelve page color pamphlets to Cincinnati residents with graphic images from the Vietnam War. He printed the question what is obscene? On each pamphlet. So let's discuss. We need to discuss this guy named Al Goldstein, who was also kind of going through it at the same time. Larry was, are you familiar with the name Al Goldstein?
Speaker 1: Connected to Cincinnati, Ohio?
Speaker 2: Well, just connected to pornography? Just in any way, do you know this name?
Speaker 1: I believe this person is the owner of one of the largest pornographic businesses there is.
Speaker 2: Well. Al is an infamous New Yorker who published Screw magazine.
Speaker 1: Yes I knew it, I just did not.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, okay, So all that of his magazine was printed in New York City. A Kansas court charged him with obscenity. The law was coming up with different loopholes to get pornographers, and both Al and Larry were known to push political boundaries because they're both very liberal and they don't mind to say, hey, we're democrats. Were liberals were pushing this very far left, which I guess at the time would have been considered like far left ideas about women and sex. Maybe not necessarily politics as you might think today, but politics at this time because there was a fight for women's rights, the civil rights movement, I mean, just with Larry publishing interracial couples in his magazine was considered silacious at this time, right right, And like, as we say, like ideals and whatnot change over the years. So the ideas I guess that Larry and al were pushing were considered like very liberal and very leftist ideas. And it's likely that the conservative prosecutors targeted men like Larry and Owl because of their views. So Alvin AL Goldstein was a New York publisher and aggressive free speech advocate who co founded Screw with Jim Buckley in nineteen sixty eight. Unlike magazines such as Playboy, Screw made a a little bit of an attempt to appear tasteful or respectable, like it didn't really at all.
Speaker 1: Well look, I mean when you read the title, right, I think you know that this is not going to be the most highbrow form of a pornographic.
Speaker 2: Magazine, right right, I mean it's not hygiene magazine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And later on this year we're going to put out our other magazine, fucking Yes what Okay? What's this magazine about?
Speaker 2: Okay? So? Screw combined explicit photographs and advertisements with pornography, reviews, political attacks, sexual commentary, and Goldstein's deliberately offensive editorials. Goldstein was arrested repeatedly during the magazine's early years and treated obscenity prosecutions as both constitutional battles and publicity opportunities. In nineteen seventy four, federal authorities arrested Goldstein and Buckley and transported them from New York to Kansas. They and their corporation, Milky Way Productions, were accused of using the United States mail to distribute allegedly obscene material, in violation of eighteen USC. Fourteen sixty one, the federal law prohibiting the mailing of obscene material. The formal Kansas indictment contained thirteen counts, which included conspiracy and separate mailings. At the eventual nineteen seventy seven trial, prosecutors alleged that the defendants had mailed eleven issues of Screw and It's More explicitly pornographic companion publication Smut in Kansas.
Speaker 1: What Smut? So he just he went all the way with the last one there.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, no fucking Dylan.
Speaker 1: But smut, No, that smut's even better. I gotta be honest.
Speaker 2: I love the word smut. Yeah, I know, smutty son of a bitch.
Speaker 1: So you make this material, someone orders it from Kansas, That's what I'm as saying, subscribes, and you mail them what they paid for, and then you've.
Speaker 2: Given the people what they want.
Speaker 1: And see this is the problem, right. This is almost an example of what I was trying to articulate earlier, when the government, the local authorities think they have this power and they want to use it against you. Because, let's be honest, he made a pornographic magazine in New York, he mails it to some guy in Kansas or girl whoever orders or woman whoever ordered it, and everyone's happy. Right. It was a transactional relationship and it's really not bothering anybody unless you're going through this person's mail, like, how do you even know they have this magazine? Right? And so it also gets into okay, go ahead, okay.
Speaker 2: So federal agents reportedly ordered the publications under assume names and then use the resulting mailings as the basis for prosecution.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. And then they bring them magazines into into court is like an exhibit. They're all fucked up, right, They're all wrinkled and stuff.
Speaker 2: Goldstein regarded the choice of Kansas as deliberate forum shopping. His business, his employees and editorial operations were based in New York, but the government could prosecute where the material was received. Because the Miller test used local community standards, a federal prosecutor could potentially send or order a publication into a relatively conservative jurisdiction and ask a jury there to judge the material produced elsewhere. So that is where the problem, you know, kind of comes in with this still one.
Speaker 1: Well, look, just instantly, I see a huge overreach by the government in this situation because what he's making is legal. Well, whether they like it or not.
Speaker 2: We've seen this time and time again. It's almost like when they tried to get Randy Weaver to you know, saw off a shotgun for them, and pressed and pressed and pressed until he did, and then they decided to go kill his family.
Speaker 1: No, I have to say what I'm getting into it. This is the FBI Handbook one oh one. You create a situation that is criminal or illegal, and you actually push people. If it was, if you were taking out the mix you the FBI, the situation would have never developed, right, And that has happened, My gosh, that has happened so many times, well.
Speaker 2: Least three thatter agencies are problematic, and we as the American people, I think we need to recognize that we we cannot trust CIA. They're not here to help us.
Speaker 1: They're not They're part of the permanent state, and they really there are in our safety and as citizens and all that is not there.
Speaker 2: The CIA and the FBI have done far more damage to this country and to other countries around the world than we can even wrap our heads around.
Speaker 1: Right. Some people think they're directed by like a banking go ball, some old timmy shit.
Speaker 2: Well that would make sense, gold I see believe WHICHITAH offered prosecutors a more favorable jury than New York would have. That motivation is an interference and was disputed rather than judicially established. But the prosecution illustrates the problem very clearly. So what exactly were these charges? You might be asking most counts concerning mailing the publications themselves? Are they concerned mailing these publications? One additional count, count I think it was thirteen, was somewhat different. It accused the defendants of mailing a tabloid that told readers how to obtain two allegedly obscene films.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Goldstein's lawyers argued that this portion of fourteen sixty one was unconstitutionally broad. The statue did not merely prohibit mailing obscene material. It also prohibited mailed notices or publications giving information about where obscene material could be obtained that could potentially criminalize a newspaper review that mentioned where a controversial book or film was a available.
Speaker 1: So can I even can I mail the words obscene material? Or is that too much?
Speaker 2: You would have to go and ask US District Court Judge Frank These no. In June nineteen seventy six, the US District Court Judge Frank These agreed and struck count thirteen. He reasoned that the provision could deter legitimate reviews, commentary, and editorial discussion because publishers would fear prosecution whenever they discussed material that another community might later deem obscene, and that's a reasonable The judge declared that portion of the statue facially overbroad because it threatened protected editorial expression as well as unprotected obscenity. The ruling did not dismiss the entire prosecution. The government could still proceed on the counts alleging that Goldstein and the others had mailed the allegedly obscene magazines themselves. Okay, so you might be wondering what happened. The procedural history is sometimes compressed inaccurately into Goldstein was acquitted in Kansas, but the full account is more complicated. The case lasted approximately three years. One trial produced a guilty verdict. That result was successfully challenged. A later trial ended with a hung jury rather than a definitive acquittal, and Milky Way Productions ultimately paid a thirty thousand dollars corporate fine, and the government dropped the remaining personal charges against Goldstein and Buckley. So Goldstein did not obtain a sweeping Supreme Court ruling declaring Screw constitutionally protected everywhere. The prosecution ended through a negotiated resolution after repeated proceedings, rather than a final appellate decision abolishing obscenity law. So you might be asking, how does this connect? Why are you bringing this up? While the Kansas case demonstrates the exact slippery slope problem created by Miller's reliance on contemporary community standards. New York publisher could lawfully sell a magazine to willing New York adults, but federal agents could order it through the mail in Kansas and have a Kansas jury decide whether it appealed to prurient interests and was patently offensive. The publisher therefore could not evaluate legality only under the standards of the community where the work was created. He potentially had to satisfy the standards of every community into which a copy might travel.
Speaker 1: That's ridiculous, you know what. That's so ridiculous. I mean seriously, Well, I'm.
Speaker 2: Glad that you are freely giving your opinion dealing. We need to know what you think.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I mean the face value is it doesn't make sense because you're you're asking for a standard to be set that is impossible.
Speaker 2: We're going to need a standard on this pussy and on this dicky. I need to have a standard on this labia. Okay, this needs if you're gonna show it and you're gonna open it up and we're going to see the MAJORA and the manura. We need to see we need to have an established law about this. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Hey, I got damn dirty bagazine, but I might have to drive them over there. I can't mail it.
Speaker 2: The nineteen seventy six judge described essentially this concern when discussing reviews. Publishers could not know whether sexually oriented material would be considered obscene in one destination, even though it was acceptable in another. That uncertainly encouraged self censorship. Goldstein's case therefore raises three major dangers. That the most restrictive community can influence national distribution, so like a national publisher may remove material for everyone rather than risk prosecution. In one conservative jurisdiction, the government can influence the venue when agents themselves order the material. Prosecutors may have considerable power to create a mailing into a jurisdiction they regard as favorable and protected expression can be in with pornography. Screw contained explicit material, but it also contained reviews, political commentary, and attacks on censorship. Treating the publication as one undifferentiated obscene object risk suppressing those expressive elements as well. Goldstein was intentionally crude and often personally abusive, so He was not an especially sympathetic First Amendment figure, but that is part of why his prosecutions matter. Constitutional speech protections are tested most seriously when the speaker and the materials are deeply unpopular. His Kansas prosecution shows how a subjective obscenity standard can allow geography, prosecutorial strategy, and a jury's moral reaction to determine whether publishing becomes a federal crime. So when Larry mailed out the Vietnam war pamphlets, people were outraged.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I think he's making his point right.
Speaker 2: Yet Larry's stands was this isn't worse than anything being reported on the news. You can see these same images on television news at six pm on the eleven o'clock news, and it's all over the front page of every newspaper in the States.
Speaker 1: So they're all published images, nothing secretive or anything like that.
Speaker 2: So his point was, are you saying the images I seller obscene? Because these war images are obscene? And he does have a point, right, because again who decides what is obscene?
Speaker 1: And that's that was a really I think that was a really smart way to make his point.
Speaker 2: After the obscenity trial in Cincinnati. Larry's lawyers appealed and he was released on Bell. While Larry was on Bell, he was contacted by Ruth Stapleton Carter President, Jimmy Carter's sister.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, what does she want from Larry?
Speaker 2: Larry? Okay, we got to get into this. Ruth told Larry that she had things in with him, like she thought sexual repression was a bad thing. Ruth was a famous evangelical Christian, so naturally Larry was surprised and skeptical to hear from her. She invited Larry and Althea to dinner at her home. They flew to have this private meeting with Ruth. She's like, you know, come over, I'll make a jello molded gelatin salad, a kish fondue. You know, those were the only things I knew were popular in the seventies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll go set in my recessed pit in the living room and.
Speaker 2: Talk about it, right while we eat a molded gelatin salad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and some cheeses.
Speaker 2: So I imagine they used a lot of Campbell's soups for sauces back then. I think those were really popular in the seventies. You got a little creama mushroom, some cream of celery, some creama chicken.
Speaker 1: Hey, those are still popular.
Speaker 2: Beef and rice, stuffed cabbage rolls, chell mey, ooh child. Again, this is my limited knowledge of seventies cuisine. So they fly in a private jet to North Carolina, where Ruth is awaiting their meeting. Althea. Now she is not into this dinner with Ruth and her husband, Bob. Althea was immediately turned off by the religious aspect, because you know, she's got a lot of trauma from growing up in orphanages and having been molested by nuns.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh god, I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Althea ses church people for a lack a better word, as hypocritical. Althea was suspicious, and she was pretty much like, you know, I don't like this bitch and her intentions are fishy.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean, but I mean I understand where she's coming from. I mean, I don't understand, but I get why she feels the way she does given her history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Althea was like, you know, something isn't right about this from jump Street. She she views Ruth.
Speaker 1: Through a certain almost like an enemy of sorts. Yes, and but what would be what what to be gained by, you know, tricking you into having you know what I mean, because honestly, the way I view it, kind of if I had a chance to think about after I you know, you first learned it that this person's invited you to dinner, what them just reaching out to you almost is like going out on a limb on there from because the people that they are around and deal with maybe totally flabbergasted that they would even speak to you right or invite you to their home.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I mean, you can see kind of both sides of it. But Larry, on the other hand, he was more open to hearing Ruth out. She seems sincere in their conversations Originally, well, Ruth and Larry end up hitting it off that night and having a very lengthy private conversation. And this talk went on so long that ALTHEA and Bob ended up falling asleep not together.
Speaker 1: Damn, Okay, they didn't sleep together, But.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, like this sinner goes on so long, Authie and Bob like fall asleep on the couch, like waiting for Ruth and Leary to wrap things up. So this is a conversation that went on like well into you know, the wee morning hours. Larry told Ruth his life story and when Ruth asked about Larry's faith and what he believed, Larry said he was an anarchist. Ruth shared with Larry her view that Jesus was an anarchist, and look, that actually works to an extent if you really look into this. I mean, there are a lot of scholars who go back and forth arguing this point. Some argue that Jesus's teachings share important themes with anarchism. He didn't advocate for chaos or the abolition of the social order, but Jesus challenged earthly political figures and authority and envisioned a different kind of community. In the cleansing of the Temple, Jesus publicly confronted the religious and economic establishment. Some passages from the Bibles, such as the Sermon on the Mount, have inspired many Christians to argue that Jesus opposed systems based on domination and coercive power. Jacques Elleul, who wrote Anarchy and Christianity, argues that the Bible consistently warns about concentrated political power, but of course, many scholars and historians reject these ideas. But that's one of the fascinating aspects of the Bible is that these interpretations and philosophical discussions can be sparked.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I'm no, I'm certainly no expert on the Bible, but my limited knowledge of you know, stories and of Jesus's deeds, if you will. He rails against the state right at times. I mean, he's the local power structure.
Speaker 2: Slipping the tables and he's whipping people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Jesus an ass bro, you know, and he's in his message is about exploitation and about you know, making a using people and shit, I lost my train. But you know, Jesus is kicking ass and taking names. But he really was against what everything you just eloquently described.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so anyway, Dylan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Ruth appeals to Larry's sensibilities. She shares her love of Jesus with him, and, at least according to Larry, even indicates that she's had fantasies about being intimate with Jesus.
Speaker 1: Oh damn, Rue, I'm not trying.
Speaker 2: To blaspheme or anything over here. I'm just repeating what.
Speaker 1: No, she's trying to blast off in religious researched.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm thinking, okay, so maybe she's praying to that Kenny Loggins, Jesus, you're the one with the sandy blonde hair and the abs. I mean, I guess that could be a turn on for.
Speaker 1: Some well back in the seventies. Dude, come on, like again, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not trying to be blasphemous here. I'm not trying to offend anyone. And at the end of the day, this seems to be a bit of an awkward conversation and one that I would want to see myself out of immediately if someone starts divulging that they have some kind of fantasy. Yes, you know, when they're hot for teacher like David Lee Roth, that's one thing. But when they're hot for Jesus, I don't know. That's a conversation. I don't think I need to have ever with anybody, right, No.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm gonna have a T shirt that says hot for Jesus. No, not like that, not like that disrespectful.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I like.
Speaker 1: Jesus, you know, but I'm not hot for Jesus. This is a pretty cool dude. He was awesome.
Speaker 2: Did I've been listening to Johnny Cash read the Bible?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? This has been one of my pool listens when I pop in my little waterproof headphones.
Speaker 1: Now he just reads a word for word, no commentary, just.
Speaker 2: He yeah, he just reads the Bible. But you know, Johnny Cash, I could listen to him read anything, but listening to him read the Bible is I like it. I mean, it's actually pretty good. So if you want to reread the Bible or you want to listen to an audiobook version, I suggest the Johnny Cash version because I've enjoyed it. Now for the first time, maybe ever, Larry felt understood and cared for by Ruth. Because Ruth, at the end of the day, I mean, she's a very gentle soul. She exudes this kind of loving, kind, almost grandmotherly spirit, like when you think of a true Christian, a Christian woman, Ruth kind of ex I guess sort of. She exhibits a lot of those qualities that one might imagine, right right, just kind, gentle, loving, you know, she's approaching you with love and not from someone like hateful place.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and I think it's probably a combination of her Christian beliefs. But I also think it's just she's one of a person who's gentle like that, you know what I mean, make puts everyone at ease.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, this is something that Larry had not experienced in his life, right, I mean, he had a pretty rough upbringing. Doesn't sound like Larry ever truly had this kind of nurturing like loving approach. And look, Larry loves Althea and I'm sure she nurtured part of Larry's soul. But as far as like a spiritual nurturing, a lot of people don't get that if they're not in church or like around truly you know, I guess Christian or religious.
Speaker 1: People are someone who truly believes, you know, because a lot of people say I believe in God or I'm Christian. But right, that's as far as it goes.
Speaker 2: Well in my experience, there is a light that lives inside the faithful. And I think when you meet somebody who is truly like a faithful person and follower of Jesus and they really do truly try to live in Christ's footsteps and follow the word, they do have a light about them. And as someone who is not very religious, I mean I see it. I'm not going to deny it. Well, yeah, I know, I'm around you know, like my great grandpa is very close with him as a kid. Now, he was this kind of person. He was a Christian, He went to church regularly and was just like this really good soul and he just sort of exuded this light about him. Like he was the kind of man that people gravitated to him. He was very respected, had a lot of friends. It was just a really good person, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, People would describe him as good people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So, you know, I think Larry sees this light in Ruth and it's like nothing he's ever known.
Speaker 1: Wait, does Larry and Ruth hook up? Bro?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. Oh, they will both deny that, and I really don't think they did. I think I think they had a platonic relationship that maybe even became like they had a love for each other. But it was like a brotherly sisterly.
Speaker 1: Love right right right. But people oftentimes miss stake that. They always think there has to be something more to that.
Speaker 2: Right well, And I do think Ruth meant well, you know, Jimmy Carter throughout his life exhibited faith and did good works and let's be honest. He was too honest for politics. When people say I wish we had an honest politician, well you did, you had Jimmy Carter and you hated him. Well, he's not a great leader, I guess of the country.
Speaker 1: I grew up my whole life right quick, I'll say I grew up my whole life. Carter's worst president we ever have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard that my life too.
Speaker 1: And now as I've been around the block, I've seen because the system has the same playbook, right, they just keep the same stuff over and over and just a different iteration. And what I think is he truly was an honest man, and I don't think he would succumb to the system. Right. He tried to wield the power that he had and the pulpit for good and they did not like it. And he made play the game bad decisions. I've certainly not went back and studied, you know, his policies and all that, but this is just off the top of my head. He didn't play the game, and they did everything in their power to make him look bad, including crashing the economy, fucking up anything they could with the you know whatever weird shit they do, and uh yeah, and that's that's he And he left that office still being a Christian man and a good person.
Speaker 2: And going on to do I mean, the man was like in his like seventies and eighties and he would be out building habitat for humanity houses.
Speaker 1: He lived it.
Speaker 2: I mean he walk the walk right, Oh yeah, right. So Ruth and Larry did have this genuine connection. Larry saw the good and Ruth, and Ruth could see the good in Larry, even if she didn't agree with some of his ideas, and the two form this close friendship. Now, I do think Ruth authentically wanted to reach out to Larry, and not for any motivations other than she saw he was being persecuted by people in his home state. She felt a calling or like a task placed on her heart to reach out to Larry. You know, she feels like this is her duty. She needs to to make a connection with this man and like share her beliefs and her faith with him. Larry and Ruth traveled to Los Angeles together to attend these different business matters, but they decided to fly together to LA and while flying on Larry's private jet, he was struck by the power of God.
Speaker 1: He had a.
Speaker 2: Sudden life changing experience. He fell onto his knees. The power of God, he said, was coursing through him. Down on his knees, Larry began to pray. He was just overcome with emotion while aboard this private jet. Oh wow, in Ruth's presence. Now, that night, Ruth stayed by Larry's side at the Beverly Hills Hotel as he is having this religious experience. Larry said, it was a purely platonic thing. Some people have pointed out they spent the night in this hotel room together. Well, that seems like a lot, But Larry's like, that's not what happened. We prayed together, Ruth watched over me, and you know, at the same time. It was like this beautiful shared experience between the two of them and had nothing to do with sex.
Speaker 1: Orse smite right now, thank.
Speaker 2: You for that now. The next morning, Larry reached out to Althea to tell her that he had found God. Althea's response was like, what the hell? Now? This was Althea's nightmare, right, so she does not know what's going on. And I understand that. I've said, I've been exploring my life lately. You know, my beliefs, my spirituality, and I do think we're in this battle between good and evil and we see it every day. And just because I have chosen to spend a good deal of my adult life as an atheist doesn't mean I have just or some hatred toward religious people. Some of the best people in my life, and I'm talking family and friends, you know, are religious, their believers, whatever you want to call it. And I'm all for people worshiping as they want, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or call for violence against people. And if your religion does tell you to behead infidels or line up people for genocide, then you know I'm not down with that. I will say no.
Speaker 1: And I think I would claim to be atheists much for much of my adult life, but what I always found I always respected people's right to believe. Yes, right, That's what I would say to people, because you know, some people, oh you know, like they have and it's one it's one thing to share with me, that's fine, but just to discount everything I say and how I feel completely and just be like, hey, you're wrong, you better this, and that I never understood because I would tell them, I respect your right to believe, Please respect my right to not believe. Right, just let me be me.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean some of our best friends that just came down and you know, visited us a couple of weeks ago. They're very religious people. Our buddy has an undergrad degree in theology, right, you know, he loves to talk about Christianity, loves to answer any questions you have. But you know, we've always managed to have very respectful conversations, and I respect him, I respect his beliefs, right, and he doesn't try to push anything on us. But he's always there if we have questions or we want to have a discussion. He's very open to that.
Speaker 1: No, No, he's very open in a way that many people are not. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, Althea she's not open to this, and she's very shaken by this revelation. Not only is she not religious, but again she has this serious childhood trauma tied to religious figures. Althea thinks this is bullshit, and she does not like Ruth. She has not liked her from the start and really thinks that Larry has been snookered by this woman.
Speaker 1: Now, I wonder if oh, and a side note, I don't think I would label myself atheist. Now I don't know what I am, but as Heather said, there's certainly I do subscribe to the idea of good and evil no matter what package it comes in.
Speaker 2: You're exploring your spirituality, no way, and.
Speaker 1: There certainly is energy, even if it's just energy of good and bad going on in the world. But I think what her problem with Ruth in the very beginning, this was her night, This was her fear that Larry religion would come into Larry's life, and for whatever, well, I think for some obvious reasons, she has an issue with religion period, right, And she doesn't want it to come into be a part of his life because she doesn't want anything to do with religion period and certainly doesn't want Larry to either.
Speaker 2: Right. And I'm sure there have been couples out there who have at some point maybe changed their beliefs. One becomes Christian or adopts some other religious belief while the other partner remains you know, atheist or non religious, and it can create problems in a relationship.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you know, some people claim in the Bible it says you shouldn't mix races. But I've always thought that it says you shouldn't mix really basically your religious beliefs or morals, because I think that is hard for a couple to have significantly different, very far apart beliefs.
Speaker 2: Like I've always wondered how that works, you know, like, for example, the vice president and his wife have very different.
Speaker 1: Religious beliefs, right, they do? And they do?
Speaker 2: How do you decide which religion you're going to raise your children in? I don't know. I mean, I think those are are questions that would maybe create tension in a relationship.
Speaker 1: I think it could make it tough.
Speaker 2: But Athels like, you know, oh so, so now you're gonna be all preachy preachy while you're selling images of women spread eagle, Like are you going to start manufacturing these cross shaped dildos? I mean, she's fuming, and she thinks Larry's lost his dawn mind. Larry told her, like, I've been living life the wrong way. Althea wasn't the only person in Larry's life who found this sudden religious fervor unsettling. Most of Larry's inner circle is just blown away. They're like, how's Larry going to maintain Hustler magazine with this newfound Christian faith.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean it seems like it would be in a conflict for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And if you've seen the film The People Versus Larry Flint, I mean I think there's even some scenes kind of poking fun maybe at this Larry like, oh, we need to have somebody on a cross, and they're like, what are you talking about, Larwick, We're not putting this in Hustler, Like this is crazy, right, right, So they're worried about Larry, but also the fate of the business because a lot of people rely on Larry, you know, and it's a little selfish to worry about money, but Hustler is a livelihood. I mean, it's the livelihood of many. At this point, people are counting on Larry. He's their leader, and now he's taken this complete one eighty And when I say a lot of people are relying on him, I mean not just the magazine, but like the printing house, the you know, the delivery drivers. All these people have their livelihood tied up in Larry's business.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you're talking about the photographers, you know, people who behind the scenes, part of the crew.
Speaker 2: And the janitor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean everybody, everybody whoever you know is doing the administrative side the business, the office. I mean thousands of people, I would imagine.
Speaker 2: But the people who loved Larry, despite their reservations, wanted to support him. Larry's on this spiritual journey now, and Larry does seem happy. And it wasn't truly harming you know, anyone. It was Larry's personal journey in his life. And one thing that did come out of Larry's newfound faith, wasn't he decided to treat all of his employees to a pay raise.
Speaker 1: Okay, now this is cool.
Speaker 2: Larry focused on making sure all the women in his employee were making a solid living wage. He wanted everyone from the bottom up to make at least fifteen thousand dollars a year, which by nineteen seventy standards was pretty awesome. Fifteen thousand is equivalent to the purchasing power of one hundred and twenty nine thousand dollars today, what Jesus so in Ohio at this time, it was a lot of money. And if you were a secretary or a janitor making that kind of money, you'd consider yourself pretty darn successful.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, sign me up. Right.
Speaker 2: So Larry's all about like taking care of his people, and Ruth is encouraging this. I mean Ruth she recognizes how Larry values women and that Larry's kind of like this feminist, you know, big supporter of women, and so she's encouraging some of this, like, yes, you have these women doing these jobs and maybe it's not the most savory work, but you really should focus on taking care of these people.
Speaker 1: No, And there's a guy I forget his name in the modern day who has the same model. He wouldn't raise his own pay or the profit margins of the company until every single employee was at a certain level on salary and benefits, and people just said he was crazy. This is years ago. People said he was crazy to do this, and his company grew exponentially over the next five six years and it's thriving like you never, like, no one.
Speaker 2: Can I know that story, And I think I can't think of the company.
Speaker 1: And it just makes sense, right, because happy cows make sweet milk. Right, Oh yeah, yeah, you know some of the sweet milk I do move it's whole milk. I had to tell you that. I'll well just just filter it or something I did.
Speaker 2: I would drink skim milk before I met you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. There was a fight in our household for a while. Well not a fight, but she would get skim milk and I was just like, oh, and I think I may have been a whole milk guy or just that's what was usually in the fridge. And we met in the middle at two percent. And I gotta say, I couldn't go back to whole milk. It's very thick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't do.
Speaker 1: I don't like thick milk.
Speaker 2: I didn't grow up drinking whole milk, see, And I think that's because my mom was raised very country and like raw milk, right and things like that, you know, growing up, and they didn't have they didn't go to the store and buy milk. It was like whatever my.
Speaker 1: Grandparents whatever you could.
Speaker 2: Mike on the farm, yeah, exactly. In my dad's family, they was more city types. They went to the grocery store, right. So we never had like whole milk in the house. We always had skim. And I think it's because my mom grew up drinking like raw milk, and she would like, oh, it's so gross because it's got like chunks in it or whatever, you know.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I'd be wanting to try that raw milk.
Speaker 2: But then that woman also down some damn buttermilk, so I don't.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I cooked with.
Speaker 2: Buttermilk, but I don't ever just turn it up and drink.
Speaker 1: Just have a grin glass of buttermilk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of the old timers in my family loves some buttermilk, buttermilk and corn bread, all right, okay. He also opened a daycare center for the female employees so they wouldn't worry about their children while they were at work. And as I said in episode one, Larry is a very forward thinking man when it comes to women. Some might say Larry's exploiting women with his magazine, but he sees it as he's empowering women. Larry loves women, like he doesn't hate women. He doesn't. He's not like, you know, I'm gonna exploit these women because I hate them. Larry's he loves women, so he's like, I want to see women, I want to be around women.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess from his viewpoint, he's giving them women the opportunity to control their own interest and to do something that only women can.
Speaker 2: Do right, and he wants to see women succeed. He supports women, and for that, Larry will always have a place in my heart. I mean, I truly do think Larry, despite some of his flaws, and maybe Folcus don't always agree with Larry, but I do appreciate the way that Larry treated women. You know, at this time, they were not treated very well, especially in the workplace. Women had very limited options. They had no room to like work their way up. I mean I automatically think of that comedy Nine to five, right, I love Nine to five, Dabney Coleman, Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin. Oh my god, it's so silly and funny. But it's like a movie I grew up on. But that's really how it was. I mean, women were allowed only certain jobs. They had no upward mobility, no matter if they were qualified for the position. A man would get hired to take that next level job.
Speaker 1: Well, see that stupid because you're just missing out on talent, right. I think everything, everything in the workforce should be merit based.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I think entry level, yes, everybody comes in even playing field, but from there, I think everything should be merit based. Hey, you get a fifty cent raise this year. I get a dollar twenty five because I busted my ass all year long. I kept my mouth shut, I didn't complain, I don't call in all the time. I come do my job. I'm extra helpful. That employee deserves to make more and to get bigger raised than employee that's doing the bare minimum. And that's nothing against the other person. That's the way they want to conduct themselves. But I think merit base should be true across the board in all industries.
Speaker 2: Meritocracy. Buddy, you have middle management written all over you doing.
Speaker 1: But you know it's funny because you do hear about and what she's describing it was certainly true. Then women, women, talented women being passed over making less for the same work than men, which is wrong. But you know in the hourly blue collar side, this doesn't exist. Right. Well, if I get hired in with a woman, I mean I got story for it. She gets the same exact wage I do, and she has its exact same opportunities that I do. Now, whether or not you know somebody shits on her or doesn't allow her to get some overtime just because she a woman. Certainly that could happen, but it's not been my experience on the hourly blue collar side.
Speaker 2: Well here's an example, okay, And a lot of people kind of find this to be funny, and I guess in some way it is a little amusing. So my nana before she passed away, she worked for a big manufacturer in our county that closed in the nineties and left our county devastated. But way before that, Nana worked for this company for like fourteen fifteen years as like a secretary, and she was, you know, taking on more responsibility and doing more, but was like never being promoted to anything else. And in nineteen eighty, which is the the year I was born, so let's celebrate, she decided to quit that job and got her CDL and went on the road with my papa, who was a long haul trucker, right, and they had they owned their own truck, and my nana became a trucker. And even after my papa retired, my Nana kept trucking. She did she taught truck driving school, and she had a she drove a damn tanker truck.
Speaker 1: She retired.
Speaker 2: She had the certifications her sixties, Yes, and she loved it, and she was making good money. And she would say, I get paid the same as every man here. Yeah I'm not you know, they don't discriminate against me because I'm a woman. If I can get the truck from A to B, I get paid the same as my partner, my driving partner, who's a man. And that's what she did, you know. And she you know, I always like kind of looked at my nana as a bit of a hero because she was sort of like this outside of the box kind of lady. And I guess a feminist in her own right, you know, right, because she would always say, you need to have your own money, don't you know, don't rely on somebody else to take care of you have your own be able to take care of yourself. And you know, she did this thing and it was because of this glass ceiling. And we would talk about it and she would say, you know, it was just such a different time.
Speaker 1: Well, you're nanny or you're what would.
Speaker 2: You call her, well, nanny or Nana?
Speaker 1: Nana? Nana sounds awesome, Nana, Linda.
Speaker 2: She was awesome. Okay, So Larry was friends with a comedian named Dick Gregory, and Gregory helped Larry become a vegetarian. Larry became focused not only on his spiritual health, but on his whole health. Larry ended up dropping twenty five pounds, which he will later attribute to saving his life. In early nineteen seventy eight, Larry is still awaiting word on his appeal from that obscenity case in Cincinnati where they were trying to say it was an organized crime. Boss.
Speaker 1: My gosh, he is once.
Speaker 2: Again charged with obscenity, this time in Georgia, and a trial was set for March. This is Lawrenceville, Georgia in Gwynette County. Now, a few weeks before the trial, Larry and Dick went to the Bahamas for a bit of like a retreat. Larry wanted to relax and get ready for the upcoming trial. Dick was also a Christian, so the pair spent time praying, they did Bible study together, and we're just kind of enjoying this tropical paradise. So when Larry returns to the United States, he is ready for that trial in Gwinnette County. Larry's focus and clarity are where they need to be. Larry has hired Paul Cambria and a local attorney named Jeane Reeves to handle his case. So on the morning of March sixth, nineteen seventy eight, the judge called for a recess. We're going to go to lunch. Larry goes to lunch where he has a glass of water and some grapefruit juice part of his diet.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: I feel like there was this big craze of like the grapefruit diet back in the day. Oh yeah, where you just survived on like grape juice, grapefruit juice, grapefruit and like a like a tomato. I mean, it's just like the most random diet.
Speaker 1: No, it was. The grapefruit was everywhere for years. I remember when I was growing up, and it's I can't. I hate even the sight of a grapefruit, grapefruit, the juice, the taste, it is just never I've tried. And I'm a citrus man. I love all the citruses, but I could never. I can't. I almost recall if I'm too tart. I don't know what it is, and I like tartness. I could eat a lemon or lime. I mean, I don't know me and grapefruits don't mix. But yes, grapefruits and letars were everywhere.
Speaker 2: Grapefruits and leotards. Absolutely, Larry is juicing, So Jack Lalange, move over. Larry's got the juice.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I try to roll diet one time and it included juicing, and honestly, it was just way too expensive to maintain.
Speaker 1: Juice so much.
Speaker 2: Well, you end up with all this leftover pulp, so you have to like be creative with it or otherwise you're just throwing away like pounds of.
Speaker 1: Money fruit and vegetable pulp. Holy cow, what do you do with all the pulp?
Speaker 2: You can use like a whole bag of apples and carrots, and then you only end up with this really small serving of juice.
Speaker 1: That's that's crazy.
Speaker 2: And while I was doing this diet, I have to say I felt really great, like energy wise and stuff. But it just wasn't sustainable, you know, as a single mom making like ten dollars an hour back in the day, so buying fruits and veggies constantly like was not in my budget. But yeah, I think people who do juice they enjoy it and they say, you know, they feel great doing it.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just like you can do it as a supplement, yeah, like just have some juice.
Speaker 2: I mean, I could probably afford a juice now then I'm like a real adult.
Speaker 1: But yeah, even as real adults, we'll be like, we'll get all this good stuff like healthy foods, you know, nice fresh and we have all this you know, meats, and we just have all the good stuff. And then we'd be like, oh, fe cook it. Let's order out. And then we order out. That's terrible, some cisco food from wherever you get it, because that anymore, it doesn't matter from fast food to you know, casual fine dining. It's basically all the same food, just a little bit better, better or worse, and always leaves you feeling like what why did I eat that? Yeah, but I'll do it tonight. I want to order out now, like.
Speaker 2: A brick in your gut. Well, we're not.
Speaker 1: We're not.
Speaker 2: We're eating our groceries.
Speaker 1: This week and we end up throwing the vegetables out because we've ordered out for du We're not doing it, Okay.
Speaker 2: So after lunch, Larry and his lawyers were on the sidewalk like making their way into the courthouse, and a shot rang out. Larry saw Gene Reeves, his attorney, shot in the arm, and then suddenly Larry is hit. He felt a bullet enter his abdomen, and then a second bullet struck Larry. He's on the ground now. During this commotion, the shooter managed to escape.
Speaker 1: What in the world. But I mean it kind of makes sense because here you are in this small town courtroom over some you know, obscenity trial, which is you know, it's not violent crime or anything like that. I would say everyone was kind of back on their heels, you know, not never thinking that this type of violence might ring out.
Speaker 2: No, Larry was transported to the hospital. You know, he's kind of in and out of it at the time, fading, you know, conscious unconscious. So a forty five magnum bullets severed an artery in his abdomen. Larry lost a great deal of blood. He went into surgery and initially the outlook was not good. It was considered a miracle that Larry survived. Because of his diet, Larry had very little like on his stomach, which doctor said helped prevent an immediate infection. Oh, at the time of the shooting, if.
Speaker 1: He'd had like a full stomach, it would have it could have bled out on sideway. Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Now Althea is freaking out when she gets this news. She drops everything in Ohio rushes to Georgia. Althea needed to be by her husband's side. Larry was moved to an Atlanta hospital where he needed to undergo more surgeries. The shooting left Larry partially paralyzed with permanent spinal cord damage. He would count on a mobility device a wheelchair, for the rest of his life. Larry's attorney, Gene Reeves, was shot in the arm, but made a full recovery. Ruth Carter Stapleton visited Larry in the hospital. By now, Larry's beliefs were waning. He was in chronic pain. He described the pain as his legs being submerged in boiling water. Doctors didn't know what to do for the pain. All they could do was treat symptoms, which was just administering heavy doses of pain medication.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately Larry was told he it's been the rest of his life in chronic pain.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: Larry later said, quote, I wasn't interested in the kind of God that would let people suffer. So after six weeks in the hospital, Larry returned to Ohio to a rehabilitation center. But it didn't take long for Larry to say, fuck Ohio, I'm moving to Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Oh And in the movie The.
Speaker 2: People Versus Larry Flint, there's a whole scene where he asks althea where can we go where they like perverts? And then the Hollywood sign flashes on the screen.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Larry had spent years battling the haters in Ohio. Dylan, he was hashtag locally hated.
Speaker 1: Now did they ever catch the person who had tried to get into that this was an assassination attempt?
Speaker 2: Right, So, Larry's battling haters in Ohio, from the prosecutors to his snooty neighbors that looked down on him and his wife. He's looking for a chain, a place where people would accept him. And there is now a huge porn industry in Los Angeles, but at the time it was kind of this budding industry. The scene had left New York City and launched in LA And if you ever watched the HBO show The Deuce, it kind of tells the history of the porn industry and being moved from New York to La Okay in the seventies. Being rich and powerful and famous is enough to get respect in Los Angeles, so naturally, Larry fit In, these were not people who were interested in old money, new money pedigree. You if you're rich, you got some power, you're good to go in La Now. It was later revealed that the Lawrenceville shooter was a serial killer named Joseph Paul Franklin, and we covered his case a very long time ago, like a few years back. He was a militant white supremacist and a serial killer who shot Vernon Jordan. So from nineteen seventy seven to nineteen eighty, Franklin on a killing spree targeting Black and Jewish people. Franklin confessed to shooting Flint some years later, saying he was deeply offended by an interracial photo published in Hustler magazine. He said, quote, I saw that interracial couple having sex, and it just made me sick. I threw the magazine down and I thought, I'm gonna kill that guy.
Speaker 1: Oh my, imagine a pictures in a magazine making you this.
Speaker 2: Mask and you are the edge.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: You have a really weak constitution. If that's the kind of thing that's gonna get you that riled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. It wasn't even a full on video, It's just pictures.
Speaker 2: Flint was convinced the shooting was part of a vast conspiracy involving the ultra right. He thought Franklin might have been subject to mk ultra. He publicly accused Congressman Larry MacDonald of being involved in this murder plot. However, evidence disproved this, and that is where we're going to impart two. We have a part three on Larry. Oh my god, there's a lot to the story. So I just want to make sure that we get all the details in and have a full understanding of Larry.
Speaker 1: When I seen that picture of that nick, a black man standing next to that nick a white woman, it made me go crazy in my head. I'm gonna kill somebody.
Speaker 2: I just don't get it.
Speaker 1: Jimmy, get to get the car out front. We're gonna go shoot Larry front.
Speaker 2: Why is this something that bothers people so much?
Speaker 1: Oh? Why do you care?
Speaker 2: That's I don't understand. Why do you care? It does not personally affect you.
Speaker 1: I've never understood that.
Speaker 2: I don't care what people do in the privacy of their bedroom if they're consenting adults.
Speaker 1: I honestly remember in the eighties being around Shelby, North Carolina, Cleveland County, shout out Cleveland County. Some people would say, home of the clan. I'm not shouting the clan out though, fuck them, but people it was like a thing like you would see an interracial cup in public, and like people would be like almost openly hostile, a hostile to them or talking shit about them as soon as they went around the corner. And I just never ever understood, even as a child, like why do you care who that person decides to be with.
Speaker 2: So my great uncle, so my nana, the cool truck driver. She had a brother, my great uncle, and he was married, had kids whatever. He actually worked at the paper mill Dillon where you worked where I used to work, right, So he worked there years and years ago, back when it was the wild West. You hear all the crazy stories. But he met and fell in love with a black woman, my aunt Mary. I love this woman like she is the sweetest woman, and I've always just adored her, like she you can ask for better people. So he meets her, they fall in love, they end up together, get married, he adopts her son. And the racism they experienced in like the late seventies and early eighties, even at the mill where they both worked, and they were very affected by their colleagues, but they started getting all this crazy shit, like people would hang nooses in their locker and write crazy shit on their locker doors and make comments and be like outright angry and hostile and vandalize their their property, like their home. And this went on for years and years up until you know, maybe like the mid eighties, and then finally people just lost interest. I guess or it wasn't a big deal. But I just never understood because I always, you know, being around them, they very much were in love. They were really happy couple, like they're still together all these years later, very supportive of each other. And I just never understood, like why does this make people so mad?
Speaker 1: It's very strange, it's.
Speaker 2: So weird, Like why can't you just love who you love?
Speaker 1: Right, that's right, Heather just loved me.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: You make it hard. Nobody won't get mad if they see a naked deal and standing next.
Speaker 2: To you get mad?
Speaker 1: Now, they'd be like, you know what, I'm glad that boy.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't get mad because they'd be like, why should she get all that?
Speaker 1: No, they'd be like, I'm glad that failure always finally found somebody that loves him.
Speaker 2: What's he doing with that?
Speaker 1: Huh? I love it.
Speaker 2: They're like, you're the pretty one doing You're stupid.
Speaker 1: I'm not the pretty one.
Speaker 2: Everybody loves Dylan. I'm like, what's he doing with that old hateful sorce bitch.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm the hairy one now I know you're not. Yes, i am, dude.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is, but my leg hair I have to shave like every couple of God, it's weird.
Speaker 1: All right. So thanks again to our newest Patreon supporters Lauren and Holly.
Speaker 2: Oh you wanted me to shelt them out again.
Speaker 1: She thought I didn't know. She thought I didn't know who they were. Thank you so much for your support. We hope you enjoyed the ad freeing extra content because there's a freaking ton of it over there on Patreon, so have fun digging through that.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to stop by our website now Murderspodcast dot com. We've been a lot of traffic over there, doing a lot of folks buying some of our new merch, some of our new merch designs. We have some cute T shirts, shorts.
Speaker 1: I want to shout out, shout out Sanna. She's bought our merch very early on. She's a huge supporter of the podcast and one of our good friends. And thank you so much. And thanks to everyone who's took a stop over there and seen the Heather. That's all Heather, obviously her incredible funny designs. She does a great job there at the merch store. I love it. Thanks Dylan, You're welcome. You're doing good. Thank you, you're doing good job.
Speaker 2: I know I have a mount Murders mug, and I enjoy drinking my morning coffee out of this smug, leaving it randomly somewhere in the house and like where did I forget my coffee and then finding it like six hours later.
Speaker 1: It's usually in the microwave where you've heated it up like four times. Yeah, over like four hours.
Speaker 2: Look, I get distracted.
Speaker 1: That's how someone with ADHD drinks coffee.
Speaker 2: I get so distracted.
Speaker 1: All right, So until next time, we hope every everyone has a great time, have a great day. Well, I've been on top of it today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we hope everybody has a great week. Don't forget to check out some of those Dark Cast Network podcasts. Stop by our website, maybe you will find some merch that tickles your fancy. And we will be back with the midweek. And we have part three of Larry Flint that we will be dropping here in a couple of days as well.
Speaker 1: Alrighty bye, Dylan, Bye.