Speaker 1: Hello, everybody. This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope with Rick Warren. I'm really glad you're here today. We're continuing our series from Psalm twenty three called Living in the Goodness of God. It's all about how God's goodness meets you right where you are and brings hope even in difficult seasons. Right now, here's the final part of a message called living an Anointed Life.
Speaker 2: Fifth thing that we learn in the scriptures is this that God anoints my life.
Speaker 3: To bless others.
Speaker 2: God blesses you, not just so you can feel good. God blesses you so you could be a blessing to other people. Now, we've done an entire series on this at Saddleback, where we talked about we're blessed to be a blessing. God doesn't give you money, talent, good looks, abilities, opportunities, networks. None of those things are giving to you simply for your benefit. God says, I want you to be a blessing to other people. Now you get blessed in the same time. There's no doubt about it. You're going to enjoy the blessing of being a channel. But when you're a channel of God's power and blessing to other people. It blesses everybody. You're not the only one who gets blessed. God doesn't give you his annoying just so you can feel good. God gives you his anoying to help others, and when you do, it helps you now. In Isaiah, Isaiah was a prophet in the Old Testament. In chapter sixty one, Isaiah says, I know I'm anointed by God. And he comes up with a list of six different kinds of people in pain, and he goes, I know this is what God's calling me to do. That I'm going to use my anoying just not to make a name for myself. God is giving me this anointing to help six kinds of people in pain. Let me read it to you. Isaiah says, the spirit of the Lord is on me, and he has anointed me. There's that phrase, you might circle it. He has anointed me to bring good news to the suffering and the afflicted.
Speaker 3: That's number one.
Speaker 2: Number two, he's anointed me to comfort the broken hearted. Number three, he's anointed me to announce freedom to.
Speaker 3: People who are captives.
Speaker 2: You know, they're in a prison, maybe a self imposed prison of resentment or an addiction, or a compulsion, or a fear or an anxiety. A lot of people are in self imposed prison. He says, He's anointed me to bring good news, the suffering, comfort to broken hearted, a lot of broken hearts. To announce freedom to people who are enslaved to an addiction or habit. He's annointed me to open the eyes of the blind. What's he talking about there? Help people see stuff that they've never seen before. Help them see God. Maybe they've never seen God in their life, they don't even know.
Speaker 3: See God at work.
Speaker 2: He sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of God's favor to them has come. And he says the number six. He says, he has anointed me to tell all who mourn, and everybody has.
Speaker 3: Losses in life, you're gonna have him.
Speaker 2: If you haven't already, you'll have major losses in your life, which means you're gonna mourn. He says, God sent me to use the annoying I've got to tell these people who are who've had a loss that God will give beauty for ashes, joy instead of mourning, and praise instead of heaviness. Those who are depressed. What an amazing God we have that. God is interested in your emotional needs. God is interested in your hurts, in your habits, in your hang ups. God is interested in all the stuff that pulls you down. He says, when you get annointed, God wants you to help other people in pain. And when you do that, God helps you in your pain. He helps you in your pain. By the way, this passage Isaiah sixty one is the text that Jesus read for his very first public sermon publicly recorded sermons. In Luke chapter four, Jesus goes back to his hometown of Nazareth. He picks up the scroll of the Old Testament. He opens to this passage Isaiah sixty one, and Jesus.
Speaker 3: Reads it and says, the spirit of the Lord.
Speaker 2: Is upon me because He's appointed me to preach good news to the suffering and the afflicted and the poor, and he sent me to comfort the broken hearted. And he reads this, he rolls the scroll up. He goes over and he sits down. Shortest sermon on record, certainly not one of mine.
Speaker 3: And he sits down.
Speaker 2: And he says, today this passage is fulfilled right in front of you. I am the answer, I'm the savior. I'm the guy who's come to comfort the afflicted and the broken hearted, and the people who are enslaved to habits, and the people who don't know how to get out of debt, and the people who are blind and can't see the way out of where they are, and all these different things. Jesus says, I'm it, I'm it, But he says, I'm anointed to do this. Let me show you on the screen Acts chapter ten. Here's another verse. God anointed Jesus with the Holy Spirit's power.
Speaker 3: By the way, there's a trinity.
Speaker 2: In one sentence, father, Son, Holy Spirit, one sentence. God anointed Jesus with the Holy Spirit's power, and he, Jesus, went around doing good. That's the purpose of anointing, to make the world a better place. When you get anointed, you start helping other people. You get blessed by it. But you're helping other people. And he went around doing good and healing people who were beaten down by the devil. And when you get anointed, guess what God's going to do that with you? Why? Yeah, you you you're a priest, you're anointed it. God wants to work in your life this same way. To go around doing good, healing people who've been beaten up by by the devil. Number six. The sixth thing we learned about anointing as I summarize all the Bible, is that for every new challenge, I need afresh anointing. For every new challenge, I need a fresh anointing. Anointing by the Holy Spirit in your life cannot.
Speaker 3: Be stored up.
Speaker 2: You can't go, oh yeah, I remember way back in like nineteen ninety two, I went to service and oh, man, I really felt close to God. I got a quiver in my liver and I even cried, and I like, ooh. It was like an emotional experience, and you go, you're still living on that thing.
Speaker 3: That doesn't work that way. You can't store it up.
Speaker 2: God's anointing, his blessing on your life is kind of like manna, that bread that God fed him in the wilderness for forty years. It only lasted a day and then it's spoiled. Because God wants you to depend on Him every day for his anointing, every day for his power in your life. The prayer is not to pray give us this day our monthly bread.
Speaker 3: No, it's daily.
Speaker 2: He gives you just enough for that day, and tomorrow you're gonna need a fresh annoying, And the day after that you're gonna need a fresh annoying, and the day after that you're gonna need some fresh oil.
Speaker 3: In your lamp.
Speaker 2: You're gonna need fresh And by the way, you can lose the anointing. We've all seen people who are greatly used by God and they are on fire and they're gifted and they're talented, and then two years later they're on the shelf doing nothing. How did in the world did they lose God's blessing on their life? How did they lose the anointing on their life? You canna lose it lots of ways by taking it for granted, by not depending on God, by not spending time alone with God every day. You can lose the anoying through pride, through greed. You can lose the annoying by refusing to forgive somebody you need to forgive. You can lose it from gossip. You can lose it from out of control anger. You can lose it from all kinds of different things that you let become a god in your life that you begin to idolize, and all of a sudden, that person or that thing, or that job or that money is more important than God, and you could lose God's blessing on your life. History is littered with people who had God's anointing and God's blessing and we're seeing success and results in their life, and then all of a sudden, bam, they're nothing because they took it too lightly and too loosely. For every new challenge, I need a fresh anointing. And that annoying that you had last year or ten years ago, or a youth camp, it's not any good for today. It doesn't do any It doesn't do you any good today. You need a fresh refilling. God wants to fill you with his power, with his love, with his spirit, with his grace. You know the problem is we all leak. He get filled, but you leak, and you can lose the passion and lose the power, and lose the grace, and lose your vision and lose your passion like a balloon that's been blown up for a birthday party and three days later it's losing it all and going flat over in the corner.
Speaker 3: And we leak.
Speaker 2: So you need a fresh filling of God's spirit on a regular basis. You cannot handle today's problems with yesterday's anointing, and you certainly can't handle the problems you're gonna have tomorrow.
Speaker 3: And next week and next year with yesterday's annoying.
Speaker 2: You got to stay in touch with God so that he's filling you constantly with his grace, with his love, with his p He said, well, how do I do that? How do I stay filled? How do I get afresh in morning?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Hoseiah chapter ten is one example. Verse twelve. Hoseah ten twelve says this, so new seeds of righteousness. That's a metaphor by the way for prayer, and you'll reap the fruit of my love and break up your old hardened ground. He's talking about if you're a farmer. You got some ground out there hadn't been plowed in years. It's gotten hard, it's gotten dry, it's gotten crusty, and maybe your heart has gotten cold and dry and crusty, and you don't feel the joy of the Lord anymore, and you don't feel close to God anymore, and your heart is hard toward other people, and your heart is hard even maybe toward God. He says, you need to do a little plowing. You need to do a little spade work, break up the hardened, the fallow ground, the hardened ground in your life. It's time to turn to me and seek the Lord. And then he says, I'll come and I'll shower new blessings. That's anoying, I'll shower new blessings on you. How does God turn hard ground into soft ground so something can sprout fro him? He sends a storm. You got any storm going on in your life? God may breaking up the dirt clods in your heart, the hardened soil that's gotten dry and bearing and can't bear a fruit of anything. And in that passage he says four things. He says, you want you want my annoying because you gotta pray so so the seeds of right to spend some time talking to God. And he says, you need to break up the hardened ground. That's that's humility and confession to God. I haven't been close to you. I haven't been connected to you like I used to be. He says, turn back to God. That's clear. He says, seek God. That's clear. And he says, as a result, I'll come and shower new blessing, new anointing on your life.
Speaker 3: How do you.
Speaker 2: Get God's anointing back in your life or maybe for the very first time? The number one way you get it Listen, you ask, you ask. The Bible says you have not. Because you ask not, you do not have James four two.
Speaker 3: You do not have because you don't ask God.
Speaker 2: If you don't have God's power in your life, if you don't have God's blessing and anointing in your life, you're not waiting on God.
Speaker 3: He's waiting on you. You just haven't asked.
Speaker 2: When was your last time you asked God to make your career successful and then you said, I'll do it anyway you tell me to do it. When was the last time you asked God to make your marriage, or your relationships or your friendship successful? And then you said, God, I'll do it anyway you tell me to do it, even if it doesn't make sense. When was the last time you said, God, my finances are so messed up and I need you to bless my finances, and I'm willing to do the way.
Speaker 3: You tell me to do it.
Speaker 2: That is to break up the clauds and to say God, you have not because you're asked. I'm asking you right now. You see, God wants to bless your life in ways you have not even imagined. If God were to show you what he could have done with your life to this point that hadn't been able to you'd be sad. But if God were to show you what he could do with the rest of your life, however many years you got left, would blow your mind. If you just say, God, I'm asking for your anointing, I want you to I want to do it your way. We're not waiting on God for a revival of our hearts. He's waiting on us. Saw eighty four, Verse eleven says this look up here on the screen. The Lord generously gives. By the way, God is the most generous person in the universe, and he teaches us to get because he's generous. The Lord generously gives us his favor. Favor is another word for anointing. It means his blessing, his favor, his grace is anointing. The Lord generously gives us his favor. When you have the favor of God, you're a favorite. God says, She's my favorite. Have you ever felt that? Have you ever felt the favor of God in your life. I have, and there's nothing compared to it. When you know God has shown favor on you, and you go, I'm a favorite of God. I'm a friend of God. I don't deserve it, but it's just God's grace, he says. The Lord generously gives us his favor and honor. God wants to affirm you. God wants to applaud you in front of other people.
Speaker 3: Favor and honor.
Speaker 2: No good thing will he withhold from those who live right. He said, there's nothing that's good for you that I'll hold back. Anything you could possibly think of that would be good for you. I'm gonna give it. It's all there, it's all yours. I looked up that word all. It means all.
Speaker 3: No good thing will God hold back from you if you will just trust Him and live in his anointing.
Speaker 2: Now, am I write this down that when God anoints your business, it brings success. When God anoints your business, it brings success. I could give you one hundred examples out of the Bible of this. Let me just give you one. Genesis thirty nine, verse two talks about Joseph, who was a businessman and it says because the Lord was with Joseph. That phrase was with Joseph. He is under the anointing and blessing of God. It says, he was greatly blessed so that everything he did succeeded. You might underline that everything he did succeeded. Now, let me ask you how many of you would like that to be true in your career, that every single thing you did succeeded. Can I see your hands? Okay, oh, some of you don't want that. Let me try that again. How many of you would like to be known that everything you did in life succeeded. Yeah, that ought to be unanimous. And where does that come from? It comes from the anointing of God. Let me close in just the last two minutes about the second area, and that's your body.
Speaker 3: You might write this down.
Speaker 2: When God anoints your body, it brings health. It brings health in your body over and over again. Anointing for healing is one of the most common practices in the entire Bible. Not only did Jesus do it everywhere he went, he modeled.
Speaker 3: It for us.
Speaker 2: He authorized his followers to do the same. To anoint with oil as a symbol of God's anointing and to pray the prayer of faith for people who are sick.
Speaker 3: Jesus did it.
Speaker 2: The Bible tells us Jesus went into every village in town, preaching, teaching, and healing. One third of his ministry was healthcare, helping people. He cares not just about your soul going to heaven. He cares about your mind, education, and he cares about your body, your health. And Jesus, as I said, not only modeled anointing with oil as a symbol of God's blessing, but he actually taught the disciples and commanded us to do so. Also, look here on the screen. The Bible says in Mark six thirteen that his followers, the Disciples, anointed with oil those who were sick.
Speaker 3: And people were healed.
Speaker 2: Now I need to explain to you very quickly, there are three kinds of healing, three kinds of zuscum me, three kinds of illnesses. Now, there are a lot of illness in the world that sip because we make bad choices. If I eat wrong, I don't exercise, I don't take care of my body, I'm going to reap what I saw if I get sick. I have too much sugar and I get diabetes or whatever. That's my fault. And a lot of the illnesses we bring on ourselves from not enough rest, too much stress, not eating right exercise.
Speaker 3: Things like that.
Speaker 2: But the Bible talks about three kinds of illnesses. The first is for learning. God allows illness to teach us things that we would never learn any other way. And so some illness actually is allowed in our lives by God when God wants to teach us something. And one of the MANI verses on this is Psalm one, nineteen verse seventy one. So I'm one nineteen verse seventy one here on the screen says this, it was good for me to be afflicted so I could learn your truth. Okay, here's the true confession time. How many of you have learned some things in life through pain? Can I see your hands? Yeah, that's one hundred percent of us. In fact, some things we only learn through pain. And David, who wrote The Lord as My Shepherd, said it was good for me to be afflicted that I might learn your statutes. I've learned a lot of things through illnesses in my life. So sometimes God allows the illness for learning. Okay, The second way, a reason or for illness is actually for death. You say, well, that's not a very positive one. Well, here's what I'm saying. If every illness you had was healed, you'd never go to heaven, and neither would anybody else. So there is a sickness unto death, and the purpose is to end your life here so you can go on to the real life in the ever after. You will only get the sickness under death.
Speaker 3: One time in your life. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Okay, You're not going to get it over and over and over, the sickness on if you get well, it wasn't the sickness under death, okay, But there is an illness that everyone us get, Otherwise we'd.
Speaker 3: All stay on earth.
Speaker 2: Thank God, I don't have to stay on earth for eternity, where there's suffering, sorrow, sickness, sadness, stress, rape, wars, violence, racial prejudice, you know, all of the different isms in the world that put people down.
Speaker 3: Thank God, we do not stay here.
Speaker 2: So there is a sickness under death when God says it's time for you to come be with me. And then there's a third kind sickness for learning, sickness for death and sickness for bringing glory to God. Bringing glory to God. Jesus talked about this third kind of illness or sickness in John, chapter eleven, he says, and in verse four John eleven four, Jesus says this. They brought a sick man to Jesus, and he said, now the purpose of his illness is not for death. That's the second kind sickness under death. Instead, the purpose of this illness is so that God will receive glory from this situation. You say, how in the world can God get glory from my sickness, from my illness, Well, there's two different ways.
Speaker 3: One is you get healed and.
Speaker 2: There's a miracle and there's a testimony of God's healing power. The other way God can get glory is you're not healed, but you, with strong moral character and commitment and faith, stay true to Christ in spite.
Speaker 3: Of all your pain.
Speaker 2: If you know anything about Christian history, the greatest saints of all times were the ones who endured basically.
Speaker 3: Chronic pain throughout their entire lives.
Speaker 2: It shaped their character in such a way that they were far deeper than the shallow people who never had much pain in their life. So God can get glory in your illness either way through a miraculous healing. And who cares if he does it through medicine or a miracle.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 2: They're both healings of God. And the other way is if you're not healed, but you stay true to God and you let that suffering and deepen, You build your character, grow your soul, develop your dependence on God. Become a woman of depth, become a man of character that brings glory to God too. Now we know that when we pray for people, not everybody gets healed. Not everybody I've prayed for gets healed. Why I don't know. When I get to heaven, we'll know. That's in God's book. We know that God determines when people get healed, He determines how people get healed, and he determines where people gets there. His job is to figure out the wind, where and how, And God has all of eternity.
Speaker 3: To answer his promises.
Speaker 2: But my job and your job is to do what He commanded us to do and over and over. In scripture, we're commanded to pray for each other, and we're commanded to pray for each other's healings, and the Bible tells us in James chapter five, verse fourteen to sixteen, that we are to pray for each other and anoint each other with oil as a symbol of God's anointing. James five fourteen says this, if you're sick. If you're sick, ask your church leaders to pray for your Literally, elders, ask your church leaders to pray for you and anoint you with oil in the name of the Lord. Now there's nothing magical or mystical about the oil. There's nothing supernatural, nothing properties that make it.
Speaker 3: It's just oil.
Speaker 2: It's olive oil. But it is the faith anoint with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer that is offered in faith will bring healing. Notice not the oil, but the prayer and faith will bring healing. And the Lord will restore your health, he says, And pray for each other so that you will be healed. The prayer of a godly person is powerful and effective. Heavenly Father, it's amazing that many people will be within inches of a miracle and will walk away from it out of fear. And I pray nobody will leave here missing out on it. An opportunity to receive your anointing, your blessing, your power, whether it's in their business or in their body, whether it's in their family or their finances.
Speaker 3: Wherever they need, you know what that needs is.
Speaker 2: And you are healing God, whether physical, relational, financial, mental, emotional, or any other area. You've brought us to this moment. The question is will we trust you to do what you told us to do.
Speaker 3: Lord. It's all in your hands.
Speaker 2: We're just going to do what you tell us to do as an evidence of trust. And I ask your blessing on every person in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. And everybody said, Amen, God bless everybody.
Speaker 1: What a special message from Pastor rec And now let's hear how lives are changing through Daily Hope.
Speaker 3: Rick.
Speaker 1: With a letter from one of our listeners.
Speaker 2: Today, I want to introduce you to Agatha, who's translating Daily Hope into German for her husband. She writes, Pastor Rick, your preaching is bringing many souls to God. My husband, who is an unbeliever, is drawing closer and closer to God every day. I translate what I hear and Daily Hope into German because he can't speak and understand English. Pastor Rick, your teaching has changed his life and I can see his progress and eagerness to follow Jesus.
Speaker 3: Agatha.
Speaker 2: Well, Agatha, thank you so much for sharing your story with me. This is a wonderful story to hear that you're translating what you hear on Daily Hope for your husband and that he's growing closer to Jesus. I'm so happy for that. We're always looking for translators to help us in new languages as we take the message of God to more people around the world. So you will keep praying for your husband, and you keep praying for us that God allows us to take the good news of God's hope all around the world.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you'd like to let Rick know how this broadcast has blessed you, he would love it.
Speaker 3: Please feel free.
Speaker 1: To send him an email at Rick at Pastorick dot com. That's Rick at Pastorick dot com. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support