Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M. Six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. I just have to share this story because it's my favorite story about Kiarina as I was covering the SuperSonics that were in the playoffs the year that I was there may have been their last year in Seattle. Anyway, I'm gootting. I'm in the tunnel there getting ready to go out into the hardwood after the after the game, and there's this woman in the tunnel and she's watching and she's just kind of like peeking around.
Speaker 2: And I go up and I go, oh, hi, how are.
Speaker 3: You you know?
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah, and so what are you doing? Are you gonna go see someone up the game? She's like, oh, yeah, ray Allen, that's my son. And so I got to interview ray Allen's mom at the play like it was so cool. Just just on who you talk to, who you strike up a conversation with, You never know what else is going on.
Speaker 2: Time for.
Speaker 4: What's Happening?
Speaker 5: Wow, What's Happening is brought to you today by Trajan Well. Trajan Well will help you set and achieve those financial goals for retirement, your local trusted financial fiduciarytrajanwealth dot com.
Speaker 1: Well, there have been ICE agents spotted at Dodger Stadium. This seems to be getting a lot of outside media attention because it's Dodger Stadium and it's ice, and Dodger Nation has gotten a little heat for not being vocal about what's going on with the raids. In fact, they have an announcement of how they're working with the immigrant community coming up today. The latest headline I saw about this was Ice agents are being refused entry into Dodger Stadium. Well, Dodger Stadium's closed. No one's getting into Dodger Stadium right now. It's closed. They're not being they're not being told they can't come in. There's just no way to get into Dodger Stadium right now. And all the pictures I've seen from the ridiculous amounts of news coverage is just that there's some agents outside, But I don't see them banging on the gates to get into Dodgers.
Speaker 2: They're not trying to gain entry.
Speaker 5: No no comments from the team specifically exactly what their plan is. There were some emigration enforcement operations, though that did apparently take place on Sunset Home Depot in Hollywood. Video showed a couple agents in gear taking at least three men into custody, escorted by agents to one of at least three vans.
Speaker 4: It was parked on a street near the home depot.
Speaker 5: LAPD has had to approve Sorry, the city of la has had to approve five million dollars in a loan to cover LAPD overtime from the protests we told you about. Kenneth Mahea, the Lacity controller, saying that they are probably spending close to twenty million in total in response to the protest, not just overtime, but also the simple cleanup costs that are associated with the people who are vandalizing the buildings downtown.
Speaker 1: I love the post from Ben Verlander on x Fox Baseball Analyst.
Speaker 2: We're really about to have show.
Speaker 1: Hey a Tani out here dropping fifty on Christmas Day for the Lakers.
Speaker 2: What a time to be.
Speaker 1: Alive about the sale of Margial sale of the Lakers to the Dodgers owner Mark Walter hilarious. Dave Roberts came off, came out to kind of push back. It's a hands off show, hey, They've got enough superstars over there in the Purple and Gold. But how funny. I love the memes are going to be great.
Speaker 5: The big deal is that Mark Walter and his group buying the majority interest in the Lakers from the Bus family ten billion dollars. That would be the most expensive sports franchise in the United States and one of the most expensive in the were Old.
Speaker 2: It's got to be the most.
Speaker 5: It's got to be something. Anyway, you show Hey will not be playing basketball Hurricane wife, though his wife might. Oh yeah, she is, she is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hurricane Eric has made landfall in Hawka early today. It's located about twenty miles east of Punta mal Donado. We've got winds at about one twenty five. It is moving in northwest, but it seems to be.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: It was downgraded slightly before making landfall, from a Category four to a Category three. It has been reduced in power, but it's still considered a major hurricane.
Speaker 4: At that three. It will weaken significantly.
Speaker 5: They said that it's going to run into these mountains of southern Mexico and that will mean that it will lose a lot of its energy and possibly even dissipate.
Speaker 4: Late tonight or early Friday.
Speaker 5: So as quickly as it gained strength, it's expected to also diminish pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Well, this sucks.
Speaker 1: Rose Bowl is replacing Fourth of July fireworks with a drone show. It's due to fire concerns. You can understand that. But there's always been fire concerns up there, and there's a way to do it safely, and they've done it forever at the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 5: I mean, I do know why drone show have become as popular as they.
Speaker 2: Had not a Fourth of July. You need the fireworks.
Speaker 5: Come on, there's a lot of open space around that Rose exactly going to burn. All right, when we come back, we'll continue this the in law story. Did you get information about your turkey yet?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 4: I do that when we come up.
Speaker 6: Okay, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: We were talking earlier about in laws and how bad some in laws can be and have been in the past.
Speaker 7: Hi, guys, my brother in law is a piece of work. He's just like Gary. He's insecure, he's a no at all. He's got an ego, can't stand to be told when he's wrong. He's just a complete lame Bye.
Speaker 5: I wonder if that is my brother. Don't know why we played that again. That's mean because people say we don't play the mean ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you played that twice now now you're just self flagellating.
Speaker 3: Heyya, Shannon, this is Renee.
Speaker 4: Renee.
Speaker 3: My ex mother in law was Italian and she was so hilarious. She would get drunk off of vodka and she would just curse out everybody in sight, her kid, their marriage mate, her grandkids. She would sit up at anybody's house in whole court. And I loved her, but she never talked bad about me.
Speaker 6: She loved it.
Speaker 2: Vodka.
Speaker 1: Hell of a ride. Speaking of vodka, here's the turkey story. Oh boy, so I have this vague there's this vague family lower story of my grandma Nana throwing a turkey down the stairs of her home in the Sunset District in San Francisco. Now, Nana, she liked her cocktails to the point of surviving cirrhosis at one point. Okay, so later in life she did not drink as much, but at the height of her her days, she and her sister Eleanor liked to go out for their their gin goblets, gimblets, whatever you call them. So she and Eleanor liked to and I think Eleanor ended up No, I think she died of cancer very young. But anyway, apparently one Thanksgiving, according to my brother, the story goes this way, Nana was upset that the turkey was taking so long to cook, so she walked downstairs where the family room was, and at that point Eleanor went into the oven, grabbed the turkey that was not done yet, and threw it down the stairs on my grandma.
Speaker 2: Hashtag vodka.
Speaker 4: That's really good. That's great.
Speaker 8: I currently have two faucets that need to be replaced.
Speaker 2: Can I get his number?
Speaker 9: Hey, Gary and Shannon, this is Mark from Contanning, Pennsylvani. I just wanted to say about the in laws. Mine were awesome. Couldn't have asked for any better ones. They treated me like family, nice all the time. So there you go, thank you.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 4: That's a good one. We don't they don't all have to be bad. Yeah, Gary and Shannon. I didn't have a problem.
Speaker 10: With my in laws, but my mother hated every woman I came home with, and they would be completely different from each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, harms.
Speaker 1: Mothers are hard my you know, my mom's always been great with the girls my brother has brought home, and there have been many.
Speaker 5: You were just savaging your brother today. It's true.
Speaker 11: I have the best mother in law and father in law only because we don't speak the same language. They only speak Spanish and I only speak English. But they are super nice.
Speaker 12: You think they're being nice. Yeah, my brother been married twice. One out of two of the sister in laws were horrible, second wife good, and then the wife's sister would be my sister in law not good. So two for three out of the bad sister in law.
Speaker 1: That's funny because usually men are kind of cool with whatever, like they don't really.
Speaker 5: It's harder for us to get exercised about a bad relationship with somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or just like a woman who you don't maybe get along with, or you don't see eye to eye with. Rarely is that even a Does that matter?
Speaker 10: No, you just don't spend time with it, right, I mean, oh, Gary and shedding the in laws, huh? Well, mine thought I would here illegally even though I had a US college degree. I was working a good job, and still I tend my wife to investigate to make sure the government is not going to send me home, and also that'll need that to also make sure that I'm not taking American jobs.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I got a text from Michael.
Speaker 1: He says, my ex wife hates that me and her dad talk all the time. He tells me that she keeps trying to push him to accept her new husband and have a relationship like he does with me. Practically, her entire family still communicate with me regularly on social media and she hates that too. But like her dad told me, he told her to stop bringing on new dudes.
Speaker 4: Strange science is coming up.
Speaker 5: Private space stations are possible, but we got a problem with the public space station that's up there right now. And Lake Tahoe is getting murky.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that's awful.
Speaker 4: Nobody knows why.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI. A six forty got.
Speaker 2: Married a couple months ago.
Speaker 1: I thought by that afternoon we'd have pictures of him and the wife and all that.
Speaker 2: That was like a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Well, the latest in the story is that journalists and others have dug up the public legal records.
Speaker 2: And Aaron Rodgers is not married.
Speaker 1: His family doesn't believe it's real, But he doesn't talked to his family, So what the hell do we care what they have to say in this regard? So the story gets a little weirder. Would you is this all for show? It's just is this to silence anybody who wants to ask stupid questions about his personal life? Is it a way to make people just give him a little something and they'll shut up for a while.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: If the news director came to you and said, I need you to go down to the courthouse and see if Aaron Rodgers pulled a marriage license, would you would that be a thing?
Speaker 1: Well, it's just a public records request at that point, you know, I know, to any sort.
Speaker 4: Of uh like, who cares? I mean, if it's.
Speaker 2: It's it's of interest.
Speaker 5: A weird It's a weird story the whole He's a he's gone off the deep end or he.
Speaker 2: Was living there. He's been living there for years.
Speaker 4: He's been living for a long time.
Speaker 5: We had one more in law one I wanted to play for us before we get into strained side.
Speaker 8: Hey, Garon Shannon, I think mother in law daughter in law relationship dynamics are the most complicated ones out there. My experience has been that my mother in law has looked to fill the emotional void left by her husband, who they don't have a loving, affectionate marriage. So I think she's just looked to fill that void with her son. And now I've just learned that and i let him have his relationship with her, and I'm fine. I have peace.
Speaker 2: That's good for you.
Speaker 5: That's that is a strong it's an advanced diagnosis of that of that relationship.
Speaker 1: And well there's something missing that mom needs the son in her life that much.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know. I don't know these people, but I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's time for strange science.
Speaker 1: I should never say anything about mothers and sons. You get in a lot of trouble doing that.
Speaker 4: It's like weird science.
Speaker 7: But strange.
Speaker 1: Well, private space stations sound pretty darn cool. I mean, just think of the view alone. Several companies are aiming to build facilities that would replace the International Space Station and attract a new variety of tenants and travelers anywhere from government astronauts to private research scientists and tourists.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this potentially a money maker. You got to have some sort of commercial viability for it to continue to operate. Think of what you know, Blue Origin with Jeff Bezos and SpaceX with Elon Musk.
Speaker 4: What they've been trying to do, which is find a.
Speaker 5: Public facing company that are sorry, private facing company that can do public things. You got to make money doing it, though, and the government is not necessarily the best way to make sure that you have continued funds coming in, although you can milk the.
Speaker 4: Government for a lot of money.
Speaker 5: So if you had a way to continue to profit off of this thing but also be useful. The different space stations are talking sorry, different companies are working on these different space stations. Axiom is a company that says that they would host as many as eight people in five different modules that orbit above the Earth. This is a company that's based out of Houston. They said they're going to start with a smaller deal that allows them to stick a module onto the current International Space Station, and then the company plans to first connect a power module to the current one, later to attach that device and link it to a habitat that they could build and send up. Voyager Technologies has a plan for one of these things. VAST is a company that says they want to put together a bunch of haven stations and then a large integrated flexible environment by Sierra Space. Is interesting because it's like basically a giant inflatable temporary tent is what it looks like that they would do in space, and Blue Origin has a version of it as well. Then one of the reasons they need to do that is the current International Space Station is leaking. There's a small leak they say has sprung up on the International Space Station and it's caused an upcoming mission to be delayed by NASA as they try to figure out what this is. The leak was identified earlier this month. They said it's not significant, but you have to properly seal it in a timely manner to make sure that those astronauts that are currently on the station are safe. It's not uncommon, but they got to make sure that they figure this thing out because it doesn't so it doesn't get it doesn't get any worse. They had one before, I think it was in the Russian side. One of the other capsules on the Russian side had developed a leak that they were able to fix.
Speaker 1: Did you know that otters hold hands while they sleep to avoid drifting away from each other?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's called rafting. Isn't that nice?
Speaker 4: That's a good science nugget.
Speaker 2: I know. Does your wife like to hold your hand? No?
Speaker 1: All right? Coming up next to more strange science, we've got Lake Tahoe news. Also, puppies have found dining on wooly rhinos.
Speaker 2: That's disgusting and we're not going to actually talk about that.
Speaker 4: Why not, but we will. Puppies are dead.
Speaker 1: Puppies been dead for thousands of years. It looks like, yeah, but just that it's lunchtime. And the idea of animals eating other animals, it grosses me out.
Speaker 5: The way that you found out is you cut open a dead animal to find what they ate fourteen thousand years?
Speaker 1: Well, what about oral tentacles? When I talk about those instead?
Speaker 4: You know it.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: We are in the midst of strange science. Some of these stories that are just weird. Apparently Lake Tahoe has a annual Clarity Report. It was released this week by the University of You see Davis researchers.
Speaker 2: Lake Tahoe known for its clarity.
Speaker 5: Right, they said, the Tahoe Environmental Research Center there at you see Davis found the lake's average clarity last year was sixty two point three feet, which is really deep, but that's six feet shallower than it was just a couple of years ago. The level of clarity was surpassed in cloudiness only in twenty twenty one. That was wildfire year, so wildfire smoke blanketed the area. Twenty seventeen, they had very heavy storms and that was marked by the runoff or was caused by the runoff. Clarity is measured using what they say is a seci disc. Researchers lower this white disk into the water to determine the depth at which it disappears. And since the nineteen sixties scientists began monitoring the lake then, they said, average clarity has declined by about forty feet since the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 4: Summer clarity continues to deteriorate.
Speaker 5: They do not know exactly why, trying to figure out what those particles are that.
Speaker 4: Would affect clarity.
Speaker 5: One theory is that its microscopic plankton too small to have been tracked in some of those earlier studies, but as technology gets better.
Speaker 4: They may be able to do it, may be able to keep an eye on it.
Speaker 1: Researchers have discovered an unusual spiky creature feeding on a jelly.
Speaker 2: Fish like species called hydro in recent years.
Speaker 1: Similar specimens have been recorded in that area of the Yellow Sea, just off the east coast of China, but never identified until now. Researchers have confirmed all ten creatures belong to a new species of sea slug. This is according Have you gotten your peer review journal named zoo keys yet?
Speaker 4: No, I haven't.
Speaker 1: It just came out yesterday, so it might not get here till sat Well with Juneteenth, you might not get it until Monday.
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: It is called the Quingdao sea slug. It's about an inch and a half long, which researchers call large for a sea slug.
Speaker 4: Lucky.
Speaker 1: The body is translucent yellow to dark brown with numerous scattered orange to brown spots and white blotches.
Speaker 5: Sounds like it's got to get to a nuckner wide, pale pink foot, and four or five oral tentacles. They call it what are those sensory appendages?
Speaker 1: Theaging like thing tentacles like an octopus, like coming out of its mouth or around its mouth?
Speaker 2: Are they in the mouth? Where are they?
Speaker 5: Imagine the whiskers that we have. Yeah, we're actually made of skin and not. Oh interesting. And then they could push stuff into your mouth so you didn't have to use your hands.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, like that woman that I saw at the theater, the way she was eating that popcorn. Yes, she could just use her oral tentacles.
Speaker 5: They said that this quing Dow sea slug is the first species in the pseudo Bornella genus that's been discovered in almost one hundred years.
Speaker 2: I think we could use that for space wars like creatures.
Speaker 5: The thing is that's been done in other space, which has Yeah, have you ever seen Predator?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Not one moment of the movie Predator No? Or Predator two?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: Why would I see Predator too? About predator versus alien?
Speaker 2: No? So what is the predator?
Speaker 4: Is it alien?
Speaker 10: Then?
Speaker 2: Why is it alien versus predator?
Speaker 4: It's a different creature.
Speaker 1: But oh so predator and predator too, or is different than predator versus alien? They're talking about a different type of predator. No, the predators the same all the time, and it's also an alien. Well, did you ever see the movie Alien? Did you ever see the movie Aliens? I'm seeing the movie Alien. So I'm just trying to drill down on what the Predator is. And if you say the Predator is an alien, then why would they call the movie Predator versus Alien? Isn't that like alien versus Alien, like a name nom.
Speaker 4: Versus the Gremlins?
Speaker 2: So what does the Predator look like?
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna it has oral tentacles that it like claws and fangs and everything.
Speaker 2: Oh fascinating, No, no, it's not.
Speaker 4: You're just saying words now.
Speaker 1: I'm googling predator. It looks like a man. It's got legs, it's upright. What do you think aliens look like?
Speaker 2: Predator's very scary.
Speaker 1: And those are not the type of oral tentacles I'm talking about the way that I'm talking about for Space Wars, they would be like octopus tentacles.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I want to see how long you were going to go with that, because this is fascinating.
Speaker 4: There is a.
Speaker 5: New study that was published in the journal Science about buildings that are coded in cement based paint that can sweat and the sweating paint can keep the buildings that much cooler. Keeping cool when temperatures rise is often the largest cost of a building of any size, I mean a building like this size. We've got six floors in this building, a couple hundred thousand square feet, probably tens of thousands of square feet, I'm assuming, and it costs a lot to keep this place cool, especially in the summer.
Speaker 4: In the San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 5: About twenty percent of all the electricity used in the world goes to fans and air conditioning systems. And they said that they want to have this, this paint that will take advantage of the passive cooling process, in which an object loses heat through the emission of infrared radiation. Paints are frequently limited to dry, sunny climates, and the coatings can't do their job if there's too much outside ambient moisture or cloud coverage. So on this they're saying that they would actually be able to have a paint that sweat and release some of that energy, poling down the building, making everything cooler and cheaper.
Speaker 4: What are you going to do in a part of the world where there are no rules.
Speaker 11: We take a trail of the chopper run them down, wrap those hostages before anybody knows.
Speaker 1: Okay, it was Arnold Schwartzenegger in nineteen eighty seven. I was seven years old.
Speaker 5: That's you saw a lot of movies that you should not have seen in your young age.
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 2: The color had an older brother. Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: So that looks terrifying. I would have been terrified of that. It would give me nightmares for months.
Speaker 5: A good scary thriller, movement, sci fi, all that stuff. Jesse the Body of Ventur was in that too.
Speaker 2: Oh well then hell q it uh, you.
Speaker 4: Got your day made. I don't know what else you're doing this soon' the.
Speaker 2: Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. I'm watching The Predator tonight.
Speaker 4: The Birthday Boys up next. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Stay drive, everybody, blessings.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 5: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.