Speaker 1: At Professor Blasman's secluded home, an experimental robot called Junior is being educated from a childlike mental state. Then a criminal known as Duke forces his way into the experiment, while Blasman's assistant Lola becomes increasingly concerned about Junior's lessons. From NBC, This is X minus one, episode thirteen, Almost Human, first heard on August eleventh, nineteen fifty five. George Lefferts adapted Robert Block's story for radio. The cast includes Santos Ortega, Joan Allison and Jack Grimes, Ladies and Gentlemen. X minus one opens the Laboratory Door and now the original broadcast.
Speaker 2: Cot dompoblastof X minus five four three two X minus one fire.
Speaker 3: From the far horizons of the unknown come transcribed tales of new dimensions in time and space. These are stories of the future adventures in which you'll live in a million, could be years, on a thousand, maybe worlds. The National Broadcasting Company, in cooperation with Street and Smith, publishers of Astounding Science Fiction, presents.
Speaker 2: HE minus one one.
Speaker 3: The Night Stories, Almost Human by Robert Block. Have you heard of the new science called cybernetics? It concerns man's efforts to develop a perfect thinking machine, a robot electronic brain that will not only do man's work, but even do his thinking for him, a robot that is almost human.
Speaker 4: No, it's not impossible at all. In fact, one day something like this may happen. A tall, suave gentleman in a black raincoat will walk down the street until he reaches a shuttered, isolated house, and then he will slowly mount the front steps, push the doorbear.
Speaker 5: Just a minute, I said, just a minute, hold your horses. What do you think you'd good?
Speaker 2: Evening?
Speaker 5: My dear duke, Why did you come here?
Speaker 2: Curiosity darling? I've been thinking of what you told me at our chance meeting.
Speaker 5: Nurse to me, Duke, you promised me.
Speaker 2: I decided to come and take a look for myself. Where is the professor in his study? Where's in the nursery? The nursery? How quaint?
Speaker 6: And do I take it?
Speaker 2: A junior's nurse mate? I helped the professor tell me as a.
Speaker 5: Guest, adukie's a nice otlt guy.
Speaker 7: Don't all right, yurse?
Speaker 8: What is it?
Speaker 2: Miss Williams?
Speaker 5: Professor? Blast a gentleman here?
Speaker 7: I don't understand. I gave orders no one was to be admitted to the house. He insisted, very well, wait here, I'll get rid of him. Sir Professor Blossom and I have come to see jor Junior. There must be some mistake.
Speaker 6: Eight.
Speaker 7: There are no children in this house. I don't refers.
Speaker 2: What you feel pressing against your belly is the muzzle of a forty five caliber pistle. How shall we visit, Junior? How what do you know about? I know everything? Shall we go inside? I warn you On the contrary, I warn you very well.
Speaker 7: This way this is the nursery.
Speaker 2: Whereas Junior in the next room behind the door with a panel in it, very considerately furnished, one of the ghost figures on the walls, like four toy blocks and funny rabbit touching. All right, let's say him you can look through the panel very Oh well, he would have believed us. Junior isn't very pretty, as he I was not concerned with esthetics. Why do you hire him?
Speaker 7: Is a dangerous The world is not yet ready for such a thing. Besides, I must study. As you can see by his play, he is very young, hardly out of the cradle. I am educating him with the nursery rhymes. The brain is undeveloped. It must learn its behavior patterns like any infant.
Speaker 2: You call that output monster an infant. Physically, of course, he'll never change. He is built of chrome, stealing glass and his brain that is my wonderful instrument. Unlike a human, he has no heritage, no basic instincts, suches.
Speaker 7: Love or hate. These he has yet to learn. In some respects. He is like a blank tablet. What is written upon the tablet will remain. You mean, he has no feelings. He will learn quickly. And now, if your curiosity is satisfied, I trust you will keep my secret. If anyone discovered open the door, I beg your pardon the door. Professor, very well, Junior, come here? What a monster?
Speaker 8: Ah wah?
Speaker 7: He talks, yes mentally he is about six years old.
Speaker 2: Now what is it?
Speaker 8: Son?
Speaker 9: Who is that? Man?
Speaker 2: Let me handle this. You may call me duke.
Speaker 8: Son.
Speaker 2: I've come to see you.
Speaker 9: That's nice.
Speaker 10: Nobody ever comes to see me except Lola.
Speaker 2: Play with me, Duke certainly, jor oh and Professor. Yes, while we're playing, you can have Lola and miss Williams prepare my room, your room. I forgot to tell you I've decided to stay until the climate changed and I can go out again. Meanwhile, I'll have a chance to play blocks with a junior. Understand, I begin to understand you are hiding from the law as you wish. All right, Jor, your move.
Speaker 9: Let's build a bridge.
Speaker 2: I have a better idea, Jr. What Let's build a coffin.
Speaker 9: A coffin I don't know that word.
Speaker 2: Then I'll teach you, Junior. I can see the professor has been neglecting the moral side of your education.
Speaker 11: Very sadly, you shouldn't have come here.
Speaker 2: Why not, my dear, afraid of me?
Speaker 5: No, afraid of myself? You know, good for me. You've always brought me trouble, except this time.
Speaker 2: This time it will be different, Darling. This time I'll bring you diamonds.
Speaker 5: Duke, what have you been teaching that?
Speaker 2: Nothing, Honey, I've just been playing with him, very education.
Speaker 5: I don't believe you.
Speaker 2: Who's bothering you today?
Speaker 12: When I walked in there, he said to me, I know how to kill people. Laura, I'll kill you if you want me to.
Speaker 2: He's learning very quick.
Speaker 5: Duke.
Speaker 12: I'm scared of that thing. It's unholy, a machine that acts like a human with a voice grinding at you, saying things you'd expect from a child.
Speaker 2: You dislike them so much? Why did you take this job as his nurse man?
Speaker 12: Because I wanted to start over again, I answered nat. The professor didn't ask questions. I would have been all right too if you hadn't come along.
Speaker 2: I'm very glad you did tell me, Darling, because Junior is going to make us two very successful people. Like any child, Junior listens to what he's told.
Speaker 5: Duke.
Speaker 12: I don't know what you're teaching, Junior, but I can guess, and it is right.
Speaker 5: It's evil.
Speaker 2: Now right on the blackboard, JUNR. My name is Junior.
Speaker 9: My name is Junior.
Speaker 2: People are evil.
Speaker 9: Evil are evil.
Speaker 2: Evil must be destroyed.
Speaker 9: Evil must be destroyed.
Speaker 2: The professor is evil.
Speaker 9: The professor is evil.
Speaker 2: The professor must What are you doing? I want you to keep out of the nursery. Professor, go away.
Speaker 7: You you don't even remember me.
Speaker 9: I know you.
Speaker 10: You are the professor. You want to keep me as your slave. You didn't tell me that people are evil.
Speaker 9: People are not evil evil.
Speaker 10: They must be distress. I am not a child any long.
Speaker 6: No, you're not a child.
Speaker 2: You're amongst j yes, that time is now, Junior.
Speaker 7: Yes, keep away from me, Junior, Junior, don't do it.
Speaker 11: Listen to me, Junior, listen to me.
Speaker 9: I did it?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 9: Can we go away now?
Speaker 8: Duke?
Speaker 9: I don't like it here anymore?
Speaker 5: Why did you do it?
Speaker 2: The professor was in the way. I have to move very quickly in Ala. You don't plan to come along, just say so. I can have Junior write your name and his blackboard.
Speaker 5: Where are we going?
Speaker 2: We go to Charlie's with Junior, with jor you can't. I'm relax, my dear. The Duke has great plans for you too. Wouldn't you like to be in the wealthy for the rest of your life? No cares, no worries, just good times and fine clothes all the time.
Speaker 5: The only way you get that way is by inheriting me.
Speaker 2: Not when you have a fellow like Junior around.
Speaker 5: I'm still afraid of you.
Speaker 2: Junior. Wouldn't hurt you. You wouldn't hurt Lola, would your Junior?
Speaker 9: I like Lola. She's plenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you say, he thinks you're pretty. Junior is growing up so down Charlie sure, Duke, Paula and I are going to hide out here for a while. We need some help.
Speaker 6: Listen, Duke, I'm I'm trying to keep the cops away.
Speaker 2: Sure and I listen to me. I need a casing job done. Oh sure, sure, duke. You know the Armor Truck Service. Sure, I want to know when they take the ACME deposits from Boston to Worcester.
Speaker 6: Dude, you ain't thinking of a payroll truck, are you. They got cannons on those trucks. They travel in pairs. You couldn't get near one.
Speaker 2: I asked you to do a casing job, Charlie, sure, Duke, anything you say, find out what time they passed an hour? Western Moster's added stretch abroad.
Speaker 6: Well, if you're gonna pull a job like that, you'll need fifty men. You want me to get some of the boys.
Speaker 2: I won't need anybody. I've got somebody where. He's out in the car.
Speaker 6: Oh, what's his name, doke? Anybody I know?
Speaker 13: His name is junior, Junior. I don't know any junior. You will, Charlie, you will, I'll smock Sam.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 6: Thanks.
Speaker 11: Well, Oh, it sure gets hot in these armored trucks.
Speaker 6: You get used to it.
Speaker 2: How much we haul in this time? Got two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 11: Brother, could I use a hunk of that?
Speaker 2: Who couldn't? What's the first stop?
Speaker 14: Acme National Bank? And we unload a payroll of the bronze and watch plant. Hey, what's that up ahead?
Speaker 15: It looks like something shiny on the road. Throw up your spotlight right it smokes?
Speaker 11: You see what I see? It looks like a.
Speaker 15: Mechanical traffic cop about eight feet so, standing right in the middle of the highway. Maybe it's a Halloween gay huh, because they're trying out robot traffic cops.
Speaker 11: Can you get pasting?
Speaker 14: No, we'll have to slow down. Get on that gun, Sam, Let's take no chances. Right, I'll give it the horn.
Speaker 2: Don't budge.
Speaker 14: Where's our rest cart? Truck pulled up right behind us? Thing won't move. It looks like something out of buck Roger's doing it. That's a heck of a note blocking traffic like that. I'll have to try and get it past it. There, girls, well.
Speaker 11: They smokes moving.
Speaker 15: Hell, it's coming toilets.
Speaker 5: Get on that gun.
Speaker 6: Give it a blast.
Speaker 11: Bullets are bouncing right off and it's still coming.
Speaker 14: Now back up. I can't the other trucks right behind it now, it's lifting it on.
Speaker 11: It's gonna smash over.
Speaker 6: Jeez, if I hadn't have seen it with my own eyes, Duke, we gotta quit this. I matter.
Speaker 2: Charlie getting shaky.
Speaker 16: The papers say he killed all four drivers. Listen, Duke, that rope and it's hot. We gotta get rid of it.
Speaker 2: I have to have blubbing one more good robbery.
Speaker 6: You ain't gonna pull another one.
Speaker 2: Why not help me out to the law is going to track that baby. Are you quite finished? Charlie?
Speaker 6: You got no heart, Dupe, You like Junior all steal inside.
Speaker 2: I just a big, warm hearted slab I suppose, flowing with the milk of human kindness.
Speaker 6: I got nerves.
Speaker 16: I can't stand that thing, the way it looks at you, with that that iron face and clanking around all the time.
Speaker 2: Listen, here it comes, Hello, Junior, Hello, Duke, I've been talking to Charlie. Yes, Duke, do you know what I think? Junior? I think Charlie's yellow. You know what happens to people who turn yellow, don't you?
Speaker 9: Yes, Gil tell.
Speaker 10: Him they're evil. We have to describe them.
Speaker 2: You see, Charlie, Junior doesn't black people who sing to police Duke.
Speaker 16: Wait a minute. You know I never turned Stooley or anything like that. I never saying to the copperies of my life.
Speaker 2: You can call me.
Speaker 6: I don't want no trouble with you. Stop him, I wouldn't.
Speaker 9: Less, Duke. I stopped him too, all right.
Speaker 2: Take him down to the cellar, Charley, put him down. Take him down to the cellar, Junior, Yes, Duke, Duke, we're next, Darling, stop shooting, Duke.
Speaker 12: We can't stay here. Charlie's going to be Missy Scott friends. Now I'll have the games after as.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, I don't worry, Darling. The Duke will take care of everything. Where are you going to a travel agency to get some tickets? You and I are going to take a trip.
Speaker 5: Lola, you're leaving me alone here.
Speaker 2: Juniors shit too, It's just it.
Speaker 5: It's being alone with that thing.
Speaker 2: Don't you worry. In forty eight hours you and I will be on our way to Switzerland with five hundred thousand dollars worth of bluet.
Speaker 5: What about Junior.
Speaker 2: Junior will be taking care.
Speaker 5: How can you get rid of it?
Speaker 2: Julian will do anything I say, so I really have him get into the furnace and sit there while I fill up with oil and said bye to it. Too bad the Professor couldn't have stayed around to see him growing up. He's almost a man now. Junior is not quite as clever as a man. You find that out after restep center the furnace.
Speaker 5: Get rid of Junior before you leave.
Speaker 2: There's no time I'll be back about it. Please and be nice to Junior while I'm gone. Don't show him you're afraid of him. Good Bye, Darling, goodbye to.
Speaker 8: H Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: H what Junior?
Speaker 9: Oil man?
Speaker 5: Can't you wait? Duke gets back? He always oils you.
Speaker 17: I want you to oil me, Lola, all right, I like you to oil me, Lola, Yes, Lola.
Speaker 9: Do you like Duke Sudan? Do you like me?
Speaker 5: But you know I do jun.
Speaker 9: Lola? What who do you like best? Me or Duke?
Speaker 5: I like you both, Junior?
Speaker 9: Yes? But who do you love?
Speaker 5: What do you know about love? Junior?
Speaker 9: In the books Man and Woman love? No, Lola, what do you think anyone will ever love me?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 12: Some women can fall in love with anything, Junior, even with something like Duke.
Speaker 9: Why low love?
Speaker 5: I don't know?
Speaker 9: Maybe?
Speaker 5: Because well, as long as you think. Your men is the smartest and the strongest.
Speaker 9: I see, where are you going to wait for? Duke?
Speaker 5: He won't be home for a while.
Speaker 9: I'll sit in the hall and wait for him, all right you. I want to be alone and think about what.
Speaker 10: I read in a book today. It was bad to kill people. What does that mean?
Speaker 9: Bad? Bad?
Speaker 5: I don't know, Junior. I guess it's just a word.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Duke. Oh see your while are you sitting in the dark?
Speaker 9: I was waiting for you, Duke.
Speaker 2: Well that's a good boy.
Speaker 9: Lola oiled mate, that's nice.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what, Junior. I've got a little job that's down on the cellar. Let's go down there now, Duke, right now, JR.
Speaker 9: All right, Duke. Are we going away soon?
Speaker 2: Duke? Yes, Junior, we're going away.
Speaker 9: That's in the cellar, Duke.
Speaker 2: A little surprise to hear June. You'll find out.
Speaker 9: Thank June for the latest news. And now I'll brief into dude.
Speaker 6: I recorded dance music.
Speaker 5: Mm hmmm, Duke, is that you?
Speaker 8: Duke?
Speaker 11: Mmm?
Speaker 5: Hello, lo Love, I thought I heard Duke coming.
Speaker 9: He came in. Where is he down in the cellar?
Speaker 5: What's he doing?
Speaker 9: Nothing?
Speaker 5: Did he say he'd be up soon.
Speaker 12: No, maybe you better go down and get him.
Speaker 9: He's dead.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, he isn't dead, you said.
Speaker 10: The woman loves the strongest and the smartest, while I'm stronger and smarter.
Speaker 5: But you are human.
Speaker 9: I'm almost human, Lola.
Speaker 12: No, no, stay way, don't touch me those metal part.
Speaker 2: I love you, No, no, I love you.
Speaker 9: I love you.
Speaker 18: The last thing she heard was the robots, harsh bully droning it over and over again.
Speaker 9: I love you, I love you, I love you.
Speaker 18: And strangely enough, it did sound almost human.
Speaker 3: You have just heard X minus one, presented by the National Broadcasting Company in cooperation with Street and Smith, publishers of Astounding science fiction. Tonight by transcription, X minus one has brought you Almost Human, a story by Robert Block adapted for radio by George Leffards. Featured in the cast were Santos Ortega as Duke, Joan Allison as Lola, Jackie Grimes as Junior, Guy Repp as the Professor, Nat Poland as Charlie, Joseph Julian as Al Lynn Cook as Sam, and Merrill Joels as the radio voice your announcer, Fred Collins. X minus one was directed by Ken McGregor and is an NBC Radio Network production. And now next week, when the mighty earth Men arrive in their ships of space, courtesy and proper humility on the part of the natives.
Speaker 11: Is expected, but some native inhabitants.
Speaker 2: Are too small to be impressed.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens to such an expedition marooned on a far planet next week at x x minus minus minus one.
Speaker 1: One that was x minus one with almost human good night, and thank you for joining us for another radio theater presentation.