Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 2: Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 1: It is time now for our community connection city matters right here on kay on the one you trust we have city counselor Tim Shark with is how you doing, sir?
Speaker 3: Doing great? Tom, Good to see you, Good to see you.
Speaker 1: You know something, our fire and police and First Free Spiders do a way a little bit job, and in our neighborhood they did one heck of a job saving a woman's life.
Speaker 4: Yes they did. There's a family that's going to have their grandmother at the holidays this year, most likely because of the efforts of our fire crew, and it was an amazing thing. I looked at the official press releases and that really just didn't tell all the story. There's other things I gleaned from going through some of the comments on those posts, and it tells such a broader story of who Bartlesville is really is.
Speaker 3: A community and how they can aim together.
Speaker 4: A couple of ladies that pulled over to call nine to one to one another police officer that was there to cooperate with our fire crews, the first arriving crew doing such a fantastic job getting the thing identified, deploying the line and getting the fire knocked down and then rescuing this lady. The smoke was so heavy they said it was visibility was reduced to knee level. Now, these are the guys who go in. We rely on them, and we don't hear about them very much. But they saved a life yesterday, and that's a big deal, and I think they deserve our appreciation. If you see a firefighter out anywhere today, make sure you go up and tell them that you appreciate their commitment and all they do. We definitely value their service here in Bartlesville.
Speaker 1: Very good, very good, And I think a lot of people are seconding that right now. Roads in our town. You know, as an older person, Yeah, I guess you hear a little bit about that.
Speaker 4: Not at all, Not at all, Not a word, Tom, I haven't heard anything. No, it's been a lengthy process. Definitely. This was a brand new thing. This was experimental for Bartlesville. We'd never done anything like this before. We had a few issues along the way. I'm sure nobody noticed, right, but it was definitely a process that we've learned from. I know that the dust and the gravel and things have been a problem.
Speaker 3: In a lot of the areas that people have called out.
Speaker 4: I've heard about Madison and Frank Phillips particularly being right around ward one. This was something that I don't think anyone could have anticipated. But we did a good job identifying a great contractor because they came to us and we agreed together, Hey, the subcontractor is not doing a great job, so we replaced them. They identified a better company who had done some work for us before we got him involved, and things.
Speaker 3: Have gone much more smoothly. Now.
Speaker 4: You'll notice that the h A five sealant is going to be going down around the city.
Speaker 3: Things are going to be smoothing out.
Speaker 4: You're going to see that hard black surface that we all expect on a new roadway, and then the striping will be back down. I think it's going to come out at the end of this very well, but we're probably still looking at the very first part of September for completion.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: That's making a lot of people breathe easier, Yeah, because that dust was really something I don't think anybody really anticipated.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't think you know what you're dealing with till you go through at one time. Sure, there's definitely a lot of lessons learned that the city has taken note of. I know Micah Seemers has been very gracious with his time. Yeah, he is making himself available to field those complaints, handle those questions. So we appreciate him a lot. He's had to educate a lot of us who have not been through this, and so we definitely want to assure everyone that we're coming to the into the projects. It is going well and it should be completed. I think you'll be happy with the finished result.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 1: Now we've got our new old golf course. It used to be Adams, Now we changed it to the guy's first name, Boots. It's Boots Hollow and it's going to be opening up for everybody to kind of take a look see on Friday. This has been one of those projects that if you would have told me any other time that it would be done this quickly, I want to call, you know, Shenanigans. But wow, we got blessed with some interesting weather that kind of hindered it first but helped in the long run. And this really looks like it's going to be, you know, another sparkling gem in our community.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 4: It's going to be able to draw tourism dollars into Bartlesville. It's going to bring money into our budget that we can then turn around and pour back into the community. That's a big deal. And it should be named after mister Adams. Of course, the family originally gave some money and the land necessary. I think the history of this goes all the way back to when it was called Sooner Park Golf Course. Oh really yeah, and it was then over time change to Adams Municipal Golf Course. They have done due diligence, of course, in testing out the branding, looking at what they thought would work well, and they actually brought the Adams family into consultation on this, so mister Adams' sons said, yeah, that'd be great. We appreciate that, we want to make sure and we think Dad would get a kick out of it being called boot Solid.
Speaker 1: But I can't wait to see how this is going to look. You know, we lost pro and we got mister Rudmen in return, and you know this is going to be a complete changing of the guard.
Speaker 4: It is, but I am so impressed with d already as he presented the price structure that they've done to change up how they're doing things to help the golf course be more sustainable. It was not self sustaining before, and we had not looked at an increase in any rates in over twenty years. I know that some people got sticker shock when they first looked at that, but if you look at the overall package of what you can receive for what you're going to pay at that golf course.
Speaker 3: You're talking about golf courts.
Speaker 4: The golf courses all over the place have made some of these changes. We've got golf carts that are going to have GPS on them, and what that means is if the storm's coming, they can send you a notification from the clubhouse that says, hey, you need to get back, and if the golf course is inundated with rain, they can also direct those golf courts golf carts not to go off the path. So that's going to reduce the maintenance cost overall. There's some nice packages available that I had not seen on golf rates as well.
Speaker 3: So if you are a senior, there's a senior rate.
Speaker 4: If you want to buy a package that includes golf cart art, you can. If you want to walk the course, that's how you get your exercise, then you can do that and save a little money there. But I think overall it's going to be a very good thing for the community. I expect to see a lot of people wanting to come to play.
Speaker 1: This is going to be a lot of fun. Friday is going to be kind of the opening. Take a walk around see and I think we're going to be out there with the live broadcast too.
Speaker 2: It's going to be going to be interesting.
Speaker 1: Tim Shark as our guest, he's a city councilor here in the city of Bartlesville. We had a meeting at the first part of the month.
Speaker 2: What took place to do that got your attention?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry what we had a city council meeting, Yes, sir, at the earlier part of the month. What what got your attention most at that meeting?
Speaker 4: You know, I think it's been a unique opportunity that we've had over the course of the last three meetings really to demonstrate how Bartlesviielle approaches everything with compassion. And in the last meeting, there was a gentleman who just kind of had a lot of life happen and a property that was dilapid. It needed to be remediated or removed. And this gentleman came in. He was very humble about the whole situation. He had an opportunity to pursue a solution that would allow him to maybe maintain his credit a little bit better and get into another, maybe subsidized opportunity, and we wanted to help do that, so we allowed him the time to do that, to pursue the deed in lieu of foreclosure. In the meantime, the property is going to be boarded up. They will leave the property as soon as they have the place to go.
Speaker 3: I think within thirty days is what we had said about that.
Speaker 4: And they will be able to get into another place without that obstacle of a bad credit check. The Cherokey Nation, I think was going to be consulted. He is apparently of Native heritage, and so they were going to pursue.
Speaker 3: Getting that as well.
Speaker 4: But just the opportunity we've had now three times to look at a situation and try to help the property owner do something about remediating it, preserving something for themselves, helping them along to a better future, I think that is definitely an honorable path, and I've been pleased to see how we've all been able to pursue that together.
Speaker 1: And that's it's it's very good because some people only see one thing to get that tunnle vision, and it's like despair, right, and it's like I give up, thrown in the towel. But when you're provided with some options or different avenues in order to get things done, what's best for everyone, that works best, that works.
Speaker 4: Best, Yes, definitely, and I think I think he's going to take full advantage of it. One of our council members actually had some personal experience with the family which shown a little bit brighter light on parts of the situation for all of us, and can we can definitely empathize around what he was going through. So we want, we want the community to know that we really do care for them.
Speaker 1: Now our council coming up when we meet again in September, we got some some things that are interested in interested of interest to you in particular and to your ward coming up.
Speaker 2: Or just.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen the full agenda yet.
Speaker 2: Neither of by I thought maybe you had eyes on it before I know.
Speaker 4: We're we're actually waiting on that and the next meeting will.
Speaker 3: Actually be right after a holiday, so it's not going to be a Monday night day.
Speaker 4: I forget about that, right, So it's going to be the Tuesday night after Labor Day.
Speaker 3: Mark your calendars if you'd like to attend. We'd love to see you there.
Speaker 4: We don't have the full agenda out yet, so I don't really have any any club that No, that's that's.
Speaker 1: I thought maybe you had a little bit more of a heads up than I.
Speaker 3: Not quite yet.
Speaker 4: But what I would like to take just a minute with is is our community Center if we could.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, what a beautiful thing that is.
Speaker 4: It is a uniquely designed piece of architecture that is asset to the community, does so many things. I am one of the people that kind of grew up in that building a little bit, going all the way back to the very first arts encounters that were opened up there, so summer arts for kids, music, ballet, theater, art exhibits. It really is And what I would like to encourage everyone to do is to take full advantage of everything that you can at the Community Center. They're going to be offering some packages for tickets for Broadway in Bartlesville, for example. They're looking for new subscribers. I think you'll enjoy yourself. I think your whole family can have a good time there. And if you're planning any kind of charitable giving, this is something that we need to really get behind as a community because some of the things that are in the community Center today have not been changed.
Speaker 3: In forty three years.
Speaker 4: That means when I was thirteen years old, Okay, I was still in in Bartles mid High and that's what they called it at the time. And we have some pieces and parts of equipment that have not been changed in that length of time. And some of these are kind of big ticket items. Some things that we need to do for the Community Center will involve making it where we can bring in bigger and better shows, bigger named stars, new rigging that we need, more modern lighting systems. If you're doing anything, if you want to give to a civic cause, that's going to be a great place to put your money.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I just had Battery Halts in here the other day and she said that they have been getting a lot of people requesting more family friendly types of entertainment, so they added two extra shows on yes that are designed for families Dinosaur Live. So I guess you know this is for the edy biddies, you know, because what kid under the age of nine does it like dinosaurs?
Speaker 3: What kid under the age of ninety?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Even better? Yeah, even better.
Speaker 4: Yet, I know a lot of folks would like to go out and go to those dinosaur exhibits that people that own the Jurassic Park collections and things like that, and yeah, not many of them are the littles no.
Speaker 2: Our age, I know.
Speaker 1: I'm just I was trying to try to throw some light away from that. But anyway, from ninety to ninety, this will be something for the kids. And also I know that the what they call tween agers, Yes, you know, they love Taelor Swift, and they've got a Taylor Taylor Swift tribute show coming up here pretty soon, I get. I think it's in September, and that's geared for the entire family as well. So you're not gonna get embarrassed. You're not gonna, you know.
Speaker 2: Be like, oh my gosh, what am I doing here?
Speaker 1: You know your kids are gonna love it, and you're gonna love watching your kids be happy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: They also are doing these Friday night things where they're showing movies outside.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: If the weather permits, you should go. I mean, it's always going to be a family friendly movie. The last thing they showed was The Parent Trap. I think you'll really enjoy yourself. I think they have some concessions around so everybody can kind of kick back. I know it's been really warm, but it's a really good opportunity to get out and make connections in the community and get to know your neighbors and have a good time.
Speaker 1: Hey, folks want to contact you. They got to maybe something that they want to draw to your attention. Your phone number, they print that right there at the Cityobartlesvielle dot org.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 4: If you go out to the city and look up the councilors, all of our contact information is available to the public. You'll find a phone number and an email address there that you can contact us about anything that you want to talk about, anything that you're concerned about. I'll be happy to take it under an advisement and get some information back to you. A lot of times you're going to find, especially with some of the newer counselors, we might have to go ask a question, but we do know where to go to get the information and we'll be happy to get that right back to you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being on with us today on City Matters.
Speaker 3: You bet, Thanks Tom.
Speaker 2: Alrighty. The first