Speaker 1: Welcome to Dorky Out.
Speaker 2: My name is Sonya Mansfield and white sharks are dangerous. I know him, my father, my brother, myself, they're murderers. Joining me is my podcasting sister from another mister and the coast of dorky Out. Margot d Hello, my friend Daddy.
Speaker 3: Look at the fish. Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Another favorite moment.
Speaker 3: We are.
Speaker 2: Everybody's talking about Jaws right now because it's celebrating its fiftieth anniversary. But we're not like everyone else. We're gonna dork out about nineteen eighty three's Jaws. Three d Woo why Not? Directed by Joe Alves, screenplay by Richard Matheson, Carl getlub I think is how you pronounce it? And it stars Dennis Quaid, little baby Dennis Quaid. That's Armstrong, a guy with the best name in the business. Simon McCorkindale.
Speaker 3: You don't know about corkandale. No oh, he said a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: I feel like, did he play this kind of character alive?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Guy, yeah yeah?
Speaker 2: And then Lewis Scott said, Junior fresh off his oscar wind for oh everywhere else to go?
Speaker 3: That's Richard, but anyway for.
Speaker 2: An officer and a gentleman and a little baby. Leah Thompson adorable. Everybody drink. Let's start with Let's start with this like we always do. Did you see this in the theater?
Speaker 3: No, no way, No, I did not either, and it did eighty eight million dollars, which is like shocking to me because it's terrible.
Speaker 2: I mean, just it's a it's yeah, spoiler everybody, it's pretty terrible. I also didn't see it in the theater, but it was on HBO all the time when I was a kid, and I watched it a lot because it was just on and so I was surprised during this rewatch how much of it I remembered. And I do want to say, we're gonna shit all over this movie. I'm sure, but I will. Here's a few good things. I actually think Dennis Quaid and Best Armstrong have good chemistry.
Speaker 3: Yes, but he's tweaked out of his mind.
Speaker 4: You could tell for sure. He later said I was on cocaine.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, yeah, I'm guessing he's real slim and moving fast.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, uh, they're actually playing They're playing a couple that actually seems to like each other. I was like, the bar is so low you guys that I'm willing to be like, that's a good thing. And then Leah Thompson is adorable, like, yeah, I'm all, this is pretty much it. If it maybe if it wasn't a Jaws movie, and maybe if it didn't have the terrible three D effects, maybe this movie would have a better reputation, like a like a deep bluesy or the Meg or something like a silly goof. But because it's Jaws, like it's it's nowhere near Jaws. That's the problem. It's never gonna be Jaws. It's a bad movie.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's a shitty film. And I don't think I understand even I'm actually confused by it. So you're gonna have to help me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're gonna we're gonna go through it. So because all of the Jaws movies seem to think that we super care about the Brody family, and so this one is now the third one that has the grown Brodie children now, and one of them is Dennis Quaid and he's playing Mike, I think, right, Mike, m hm yeah, Michael.
Speaker 1: Oh old whatever.
Speaker 3: Okay, first question, yes, how old are they and how old were they when they were attacked by the shark seventy five. Yeah, because it's eight years later and he's like got stubble.
Speaker 4: He's like, yeah, he looks like he's thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've clearly there's something in the Yeah, there's something in the water at Amity Island because they're all aging rapidly. I think he was fifteen or sixteen in Jaws maybe.
Speaker 3: I think that's Sonya. I think he's like twelve or thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then it's little and then the littlest one. He should be like fifteen or sixteen by this point, but now.
Speaker 3: Yeah by this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's like twenty three or twenty four at this like, yeah, he's a.
Speaker 3: Rat student and he's the guy Bob that hit on Barbara on one day at a time. He was the neighbor that always had a crush on Valleie Burton.
Speaker 4: Ellie, I don't even remember that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I watched that show so much. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we meet Mike and my works at like a sea it's the Sea World.
Speaker 1: It's like a.
Speaker 2: Big marine park in Florida, and it's got like these underwater tunnels and lagoons. His baby brother Sean also from the other movies is coming for some reason.
Speaker 1: Now he's a cowboy.
Speaker 2: I don't, sonya, you can't.
Speaker 3: But the ocean's full of murderers, Sonya, he can't go in there.
Speaker 2: But Leah Thompson is so adorable that she can cure men of their phobias, Like he is pretty quick to throw his phobias aside for a little piece of Leah Thompson.
Speaker 1: And I kind of get it, because again, she get it. She's adorable.
Speaker 2: And then Bess Armstrong is like a biologist who works at the marine park as well. She's like training dolphins and killer whales and all of these.
Speaker 3: He's a doctor, right, they keep saying doctor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess she's yeah, probably has a PhD and marine biology.
Speaker 3: So she's gonna be like twenty thirty maybe, right, I mean, but she looks like she's twenty two. Yes, absolutely, I mean maybe she's a genius. She could be a genie enius and.
Speaker 2: Totally like she could be doogie howser.
Speaker 3: She could be a doogie howser type. Okay, I'll let that go.
Speaker 2: But the ages are like, yeah, no, you are correct. The ages are not remotely they don't line up. No, And then we have Lewis Gossit Junior, who is the one who I guess designed the park and also runs the park.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: Simon Matt Corkindale shows up and he's like an adventurer who also takes nature footage, and he's there to promote the park.
Speaker 4: Question Mark.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what he's doing there, but okay.
Speaker 3: He was on Falcon Crest. Oh, okay, I'm on the Nile. He did a lot of things in the early eighties, but he was always like a snooty, good looking British guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, So there's a lot of random things in this movie, like it opens under because Animal.
Speaker 3: Sorry, he was Manimal.
Speaker 2: Manimal was a show that existed, y'all. You should if you don't know it.
Speaker 3: He was also on Dynasty Jesus.
Speaker 2: Art, Okay, I probably saw him on I Dynasty wasn't a show I watched all the time, but I watched it sometimes.
Speaker 1: Oh I was, so I did. Yeah, I probably saw him there anyway. He definitely looked familiar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he had a career in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so it.
Speaker 2: I guess we should talk about the Three D as well, Like there were a ton of movies in nineteen eighty three that were doing the three D. There was like a Friday of the thirteenth. I wrote down a bunch of them. There was a bunch of them. Shit, where are they? Oh Amity Sorry, there's Amityville three D.
Speaker 3: There was.
Speaker 2: Friday the thirteenth three D. There was what was here's another one? Metal Storm was in three D. Starchaser three D. All these things were in three D, especially in eighty three. That was their big marketing scheme. I don't know what these effects look like in the theater with an actual three D because I've never seen it that way, but they're terrible when you watch it, like it is real bad. It looks like a paper cutout shark is coming after people. It's it's pretty ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Like they're not good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the special effects are not great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'd have to acknowledge that off the bat and the whole movie opens like underwater and I guess we're we're from the shark perspective, and then it like sees a fish and then it fully frunch is a fish like it's a chip. It's like crunch, and then we get like a floating fish head and it's like, who the fishheads float.
Speaker 1: It's all in three D, but it's not really. And then we see people like.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of group water skiing things going on and they're being stalked by the Have you ever been to a park like this, by the way, these kinds of parks, Okay.
Speaker 3: Now I don't like them because because of the the whales.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the killer whales.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the killer whales. I feel bad for them. Yeah, And my dad hates these shows. My dad's just not into it.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, we had one you probably remember this. We had one in the Bay Area called Marine World Africa USA.
Speaker 3: Oh God that where was that located?
Speaker 1: It was in Valao, Oh and it was that was its name.
Speaker 2: I was just talking about this with a friend the other day, Like Marine World Africa, let's say, and there's.
Speaker 3: A lot going on.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of words there, and it was like and it had like killer whales and dolphin shows and all that, and then it had like like parrots and penguins and there was like water skiing and like it was a very weird mix. Now it's like Discovery Kingdom. They've dropped the Marine World USA Africa, USA.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what.
Speaker 2: That means Africa, USA.
Speaker 3: But right.
Speaker 1: We went when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: I can't recall ever going back as an adult because, yeah, those kinds of things bumm me out. Now, the dolphins and the killer they're too smart for this stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they get well we know now that they get really stressed out. Yeah, like they have to have tombs and stuff like that because they want to perform, because they want to do good by us, they want to impress us, and to make them do it every single day on the dime like they should do it is very stressful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really depressing. I get the same way at the zoo. By the way, when I see the gorillas and stuff, I'm like, they're too smart for this. This is really depressing. So yeah, I don't really go to those things. But we get this, like we get an overview of the park. We have a nice little like, uh, explanation, so that we know what the park layout is. They show us a model and they're like, and here's the here's the center of the park, and here's all the tunnels and they're underwater and all of this stuff. And then Dennis Quaid is Mike Brodie and he like I don't know. He's like, he helped build the park. He runs the maintenance team. I'm not quite sure what he does there, to be honest, but.
Speaker 1: Fine.
Speaker 2: And then Bess Armstrong is the Smurtie who actually trains all the animals or something. What happens then, Oh, they like go out to a bar for some reason. Sean is now a cowboy and that's where he.
Speaker 3: Meets He's rejecting the water. So nyah, he's rejecting New England and everything associated with it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, never mind that in part four he is now back on Amity Island as a sheriff like his dad, like I apparently.
Speaker 3: The same actor.
Speaker 1: No, no, but it's the same character.
Speaker 2: Because these moves, the stories, and the timelines don't line up at all between all of these movies. I watched all of the movies because that felt like a thing to do. And it's a holiday weekend and I love to watch Jaws on fourth of July, so I just watched them all and they when you line them up, they don't make sense, even more so than the fact that they already don't make sense.
Speaker 1: They go to a bar.
Speaker 2: There's a thing with Leah Thompson where they're playing some game I've never heard of where they basically push each other over.
Speaker 3: What is that game? It was like Mum and Schance or mine. I don't know what it is, but it's like you put your hands against somebody and you're pushing. You're pressing really really hard and trying to knock them over. And she's like five foot two and this guy's like six foot something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's able to win.
Speaker 2: She's like, it's a game of balance, and I'm like, I don't know what this game is.
Speaker 1: I have never heard of this game, but the man seems to think we all know what it is.
Speaker 3: And it's also like, honey, it's a place for creepy guys to make you touch them. Totally get it together. Leah Thompson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no.
Speaker 2: So Mike walks up, they play their stupid game, and he's like, let me buy you drink. So she goes back and sits with them. They all drink their like Miller Lites or whatever, and then she is now gonna take Mike homeb but she takes them back to the park and he's like, I don't go in the water because you know he's lived through Jaws one and two, where.
Speaker 4: She couldn't have.
Speaker 3: He could have said, like, yeah, I saw people get or by sharks and water, so it's not my thing. And it happened close to shore, and she'd be like, oh gotcha, yeah, okay no, And instead she she minimizes it right away, really really about to walk into the water.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna get practically naked and get in the water. And he's like and like chases her into the water anyway, Thompson by the way, way, But yeah, she I get it, like she's gonna yeah, she's adorable. Everybody drinks. She's going to cure you of your childhood trauma. And he, you know, he's chasing her into the water. They go in the water blah blah blah, like Mike and.
Speaker 1: What's her name?
Speaker 2: I for k show up and then ruin his chance to get some by like and then they all splash each other and have a good time like you do. And then we meet the cute dolphins, Cindy and Sandy. The dolphins.
Speaker 3: Yeah I loved me too.
Speaker 2: They're so smart and they're doing their spins and they're being all cute and they're you know, being very flipper like, and they're like and doing their things.
Speaker 1: There's also a story.
Speaker 2: There's a side story about like a waitress who works at the local bar, whose boyfriend, Yes, sir.
Speaker 3: She's wearing a fantastic outfit. I have to say, starting off the strike top with that that Pet Benatar look that she's Yeah, Dan, I was like, that was the height of chic to me in nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 2: Yes, she is one hundred, got the Pat benattar striped leopard shirt, stone.
Speaker 3: Cold nineteen eighty three bucks.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's got the headband.
Speaker 2: And she's like, you tell that man, you know, if he's messing around with the girl at the souvenir shop, that he's a dead man.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: And then she shows up the next day and she's like throwing luggage at Dennis Quaid and it's like, you tell that man, it's over between us. And they're like, uh, he never came home, he never punched out whatever. So Dennis Quad and Best Armstrong are.
Speaker 1: Like, we might want to search the logo.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's dead, and they get in this I don't know, like ocean gates submersible thing and go under the water.
Speaker 3: I thought the thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm like, see that guy wasn't some visionary.
Speaker 3: Hi, I had some PTSD looking at him like no, no, no, no, no no no, don't get in there.
Speaker 2: Don't get in there.
Speaker 1: It's controlled by a joystick.
Speaker 2: Just get in there.
Speaker 3: Just run by an asshole doesn't know what he's doing. Who puts a woman in accounting and it's her a milet because he wants some chicks in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not?
Speaker 2: So they get into their little submersible and they're searching the lagoon and the dolphins are like running around. Because the dolphins are smart, they're like, oh, there's totally a shark. There's a shark running around here that the people are like, that's weird.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: Like a body, Like the body just shows up like like a gross head, you know, and they're like who.
Speaker 1: And immediately, like.
Speaker 2: The mccork and dale characters, like, we should find the shark that's loose in this place and we.
Speaker 1: Should kill it on camera for publicity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's make a special out of this because that'll get people to show up. Because he's just obsessed with getting pople to show up. It's like, not only we not only we have a shark. We just blew the ship out of it in.
Speaker 2: Front of let's let's fully murder it. Let's just murder it on camera. People will love it. They will love it.
Speaker 3: In case, there was That's Incredible, Yes, and then there was the Animal show, Amazing Animals. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So one of one of the there was a there was a show on I want to say in the seventies, and there was That's Incredible, and then there was those Amazing Animals and it was all shit. It was all just nature, shit about animals. And one of the hosts was Burgess Meredith and he would come out with a penguin.
Speaker 3: Remember, Yes, I got an autograph of him because I went to a signing that he did because.
Speaker 2: He played the penguin and batman.
Speaker 1: You see.
Speaker 3: I didn't make that connection. My parents did, but he but he was like King of Prussia, mall or something, and he did a signing, so I got I knew him because of a Rocky Yes, yeah, he's Micky Micky. Yeah, anyway, I was, I was. I was all in with Virgis Meredith. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was trying to remember who the other hosts were, but.
Speaker 3: There was John Davidson, there was Kathy Lee Gifford. Yeah, there was Frank Tarkenton. Oh that's right, okay, Oh that could be real people. I get them all mixed. There was Skip something or other. Oh yeah, Sarah, Sarah.
Speaker 2: Purcell, definitely someone named Skip.
Speaker 3: Yes. It was like these not like even a variety show, but there was these shows with a studio audience and they had like four five people with helmet hair and big teeth and sweaters, and they just introduced clips and it would be like I was struck by lightning twelve times. You want to see the hat I was wearing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do, I guess.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, hell, yeah, I do. I could catch a you know, you could shoot this arrow and I could catch it in mid air. And then they would here's an animal segment, like look at this boa constrictor it ate a water buffalo, look at that, you know whatever, and we.
Speaker 2: Were we were grateful for this entertainment because there's nothing else exactly. Again, we had three channels and they were all showing a version of this.
Speaker 3: If one night there blowing up a shark, I guarantee you my brothers would have been there. My dad and my brothers would have been their front and center for that show totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad Actually, my dad would have like taken a day off of work to watch.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like it would have been.
Speaker 4: And they would have had people over, had beer, pizza.
Speaker 3: It would have been a thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, So that's his His thing is like we should find the shark and we should kill it, and it for the publicity, and Kay, the best Armstrong characters like, no way, we need to catch it, Like nobody has a great white shark in captivity, you know, for science.
Speaker 1: We should do this for science.
Speaker 3: And she doesn't think, like maybe they shouldn't have a great white shark in captivity. Yeah, maybe we shouldn't like be responsible for one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Dennis Quaid's like they're murderers.
Speaker 3: He's tweets murders, murderers, murderers. He's got the little old McDonald's like coffee spoon, you know, filled with cope, but they have those coffee stirs.
Speaker 1: He's just like it's just snort murderers.
Speaker 2: So and then they're gonna like they're gonna find the shark, and like mccuirk and Dale's like I'm gonna get this grenade just in case. I'm like, uh, that could like blow up the whole fucking park, and they're like, maybe we don't blow up the whole fucking park and he's like, if you insist.
Speaker 1: So then they catch the shark.
Speaker 2: Basically they drug it and catch it, and then it's not They're like, but is it the shark, Like maybe we've caught a shark, but not the shark because they're like it's big, but it's not that big. And there's this whole thing where like they they open the park and Lewis Gossa Junior's like, now put that shark in a pool where people can see it.
Speaker 1: We want the publicity, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: And then Best Armstrong runs to the pool where they've got the shark, and immediately the shark goes belly up in front of all of these people. It's so odd, and a kid starts crying and I was like, now all of those kids are gonna need therapy. All of them is so awful, Like they're like, ooh, shark, oh the kids all mommy, it starts correct.
Speaker 1: It's so awful.
Speaker 2: It's awful. I don't know why the shark died by the way, sadness, embarrassment.
Speaker 3: And we.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just holding its breath.
Speaker 2: It's like so just it's the kid crying that gets me every like I'm such a monster with the kid cries. And I was like, anyway, the shark dies, it's very sad and now all those kids are going to go to therapy and be like I think my sadness started when my mom took me to Marine World Africa.
Speaker 3: USA, USA. They're like, wait, where was this again?
Speaker 2: And it was in America, USA.
Speaker 3: Vallejo, where all the penguins should be living.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was in Africa, USA. And the shark went belly up right in front of me. Well, all that's going on again. Leah Thompson has now lured the little brother into a water bumper boat into the water again against his better judgment.
Speaker 3: When he's told her I'm terrified of the water because I saw people murdered in it. I'd rather not And she's like, bitch, I work at this water park. I am.
Speaker 4: What is her?
Speaker 3: What is it? What is it that she's called? She's doing that she.
Speaker 1: Works in like a water ski show and then.
Speaker 3: She gets a water ski show right like you know, vacation video with the go gos, Like yeah, She's like, this is my whole life, Like we're gonna have to I'm the cuter one, so we're gonna have to be not even in the middle. You gotta come like where I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she is not interested in doing any activity that doesn't involve the water.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: If you want to get with Leah Thompson is get in the water.
Speaker 3: Your feet will always be clean. He'll just always like have you know fingers.
Speaker 1: That's it. You will always have pruned up, stuffed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: What happens, uh there's oh, then there's we see like customers, like visitors to the park, they're walking through the underwater tunnels, which San Francisco has something like this. We have like a big aquarium down at like Peer thirty nine and they have an underwater tunnel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they didn't Cony Island too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are very cool, like.
Speaker 3: It's it's neat, it is pretty nifty.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean as someone who loves to watch nature documentaries, especially about the ocean, like I think stuff.
Speaker 1: Like that is cool.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't put on a scuba suit and go down. No, I'll walk through your tunnel absolutely, like no, I don't, no, thank you. So people are like walking through the tunnel and like a dead body like show up in the window. And then these girls push one of their friends up against the glass, and I was like, fucking mean. It is so mean, and I'm like again, more customers that are gonna need therapy, Like that's gonna scar that girl for life.
Speaker 1: It's such mean girl behavior that they do that to her.
Speaker 2: And that's when they realize there's a bigger shark loose in the park and.
Speaker 3: A mama shark.
Speaker 1: A mama shark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's very protective of her baby. I don't know if that's really a thing for sharks, but that's fine, let's just pretend it is.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, like Bess Armstrong gives a big speech about like, you know, this man was killed inside the park, the baby was caught inside the park, the mother is inside the park, and then like right when she says that, the shark, like ha, like just shows he shows up at the window at the restaurant. Hello, great timing. The sharks should be in show business. And now because there's a shark in the park. Dennis Quaid's characters participating in the Grand Brody family tradition of yelling at people to get out of the water. So he's running around everybody out, running all over the park, like waving his arms in the air.
Speaker 3: Aren't the boys featured in the second one too, Yes, Brody, because I'm gonna watch the second one tonight and'll we watch it. But okay, so yeah, they've really really have been around murderous sharks.
Speaker 2: Yes, So by the time they've gotten to this one, they there's the shark and jaws that like eats the kid like in front of them at the that's on the raft, that very like sad moment where the little boy gets eaten on the raft, like people have been eaten by sharks right in front of them. The second one, they're out on boats like sailboats, and a shark is like stalking them, and like the little brother's babysitter or whatever gets eaten right in front of him, and like a bunch of Mike's friends get murdered in front of him by the eaten by the shark and all of this stuff. So the fact that either of them are even remotely near the water.
Speaker 3: Is astounding, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: And then by the fourth time, by the fourth one, they're still all working in the water.
Speaker 3: Right, but the shark follows them, right, just like the Bahamas. So there's a whole richer Jenny comedy routine about Jaws four. And he's just like, it's the revenge. It's personal, yes, And he's like, it's really if you just stay out of the water, you're gonna be okay. You don't see though it doesn't come out up on the sand, it's around the city and like terrorizes you.
Speaker 1: No, it's not a lamb shark, it's not a land sharks.
Speaker 3: As long as you just stay out of the water, you're gonna be okay. If you're brody, just don't go in the water. No, they can't.
Speaker 2: They literally moved to they they go. They go from one island to another island, and the shark from.
Speaker 3: New England to like a totally other like.
Speaker 2: It goes to the Bahamas, the Bahamas.
Speaker 3: That's a long way to go for a shark.
Speaker 1: And how does it know they're there?
Speaker 2: And it just does it just it could smell it, It could smell them.
Speaker 1: It must be it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the fact that even then, like the character that Dennis Quaid plays in this one is in the fourth one and again he's still working in the water and the mom is like, maybe you don't work in the water, get another job, and he's like, nah, nah.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna let that bother me. No really the fifth time you said, saw somebody get eaten up?
Speaker 2: No, No, that's how he's decided to make his career there. And they've got like a five year old daughter who's just like in the water every fucking five seconds and in danger and almost eaten by a shark like multiple times.
Speaker 3: Looking at it. Here. Lance Guest plays Michael Brodie, Yes, in The Revenge. And there's Mario van Peoples. Oh wow, he's got us tonight.
Speaker 2: He's doing the Jamaican like the Bahama access.
Speaker 3: Lid Whitfield, Oh my god, Elevin Van People. He's got more vamp peoples.
Speaker 1: In it, okay, And Michael Kaine.
Speaker 3: I'm into it. I'm into it.
Speaker 2: Famously, Michael Caine could not go pick up his Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for Hannah and her Sisters because he was filming Jaws The Revenge.
Speaker 3: Look, the man has a very nice lifestyle to uphold, Yes he does. He's got a hot wife, yep, he you know, he's got shit to do so and English people that it's just like not a big deal, Like they just take the gig that's in front of them.
Speaker 2: You are gonna you are going to be rolling through part four, Like the mom is wearing like huge like sweaters with shoulder pads. I was like, girl, you're in the Bahamas. Everyone else is practically naked.
Speaker 3: And she was like one of my favorite people in the first one too, like she was the only one who had any common sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, yes, like.
Speaker 2: She's her and uh Royce Cider Shier Schiter schier, thank you. I not Rob Snyder by the way, which I accidentally put on Blue Sky.
Speaker 1: That was autocorrect's fault.
Speaker 2: I know who he is.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They have a really lovely relationship in those movies, like fantastic relations and she was like the wife of one of the executives at the so people kind of said things like, oh, that's how she got the gig.
Speaker 3: No, she's fucking great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's really really good.
Speaker 3: Josh, she's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is not a hot TAKEO is like a perfect movie, right, And it's because Jaws is so fucking great that one. We're not going to do an episode on Jaws, because what are we gonna say? Just it's a movie. Part we're like, it's so fucking great, but also like it's the casting is great, the relationships are great, the the stakes feel real, like when that little boy dies and then the mom like confronts him and all that.
Speaker 3: Alex Kittner's mother. Yes, we did an episode on book versus movie. Definitely check it out because we actually play audio from the book, which is terrible. Yes, and the movie's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the movies, but those that shit is fucking real. And then you get all the stuff with Quint when they're on the boat and Richard Drive is just so funny and like it all just comes together so perfectly. And then the second one feels a bit more like a horror movie.
Speaker 3: Then it definitely leans into the scares more. But I think that I think it's a perfectly fine sequel. It's not as good as the original, but it's super scary, intense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's very entertaining. I was never bored and like I enjoyed watching it. And then I watched three and I'm like, oh, like this one again. If it wasn't a Jaws movie, if it was just like amusement Shark, I just made up a new name for this movie. Instead of Amusement Park, it's Amusement Shark. The movie might actually have a cult classic repuse represent reputation, that's the word I'm getting too like because it is a very silly movie.
Speaker 1: But we're enjoying this.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's stupid, but it's it's funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But because it's Jaws, there's a standard that we expect, and it's like it's not going to be that.
Speaker 1: It was never going to be that. The no and the.
Speaker 3: Jaw that the shark parts are the least scary, they're the most laughable. Yes, there's others that actually is more intense, but the shark stuff in this movie is so laughably bad.
Speaker 2: So bad because because of the three D as well, like they probably got the model of the shark looks better because they've made advances, but the three D of it makes it look really, really, really terrible. It's yeah, yeah, So now Dennis Quaid's running around like yelling at people, ah, the water get all the way, even though there's a PA system and they could announce those things. He is just they decided that's the better way to spread the message.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the shark appears behind the water skiers are out there doing their human pyramids and all this stuff, which, again, water skiing was the thing in the seventies.
Speaker 3: Did you ever try it?
Speaker 2: My dad tried to teach me how to water ski. Yeah, when I was older. I can't do it. I don't have the upper boxy.
Speaker 3: No, I've tried twice. And I was older too. Yeah, like I was like late teen's, early twenties. I had a friend. We tried it with the two skis, and we tried it with the one ski, yeah, and I just was like, this is bullshit. I'll just hang on a rubber tube thing like, yes, I'll do that. I can handle that. But it's terrifying. Actually, I think.
Speaker 1: I'm not good. I could not do it.
Speaker 2: My dad was a really good water skier.
Speaker 3: Yeah that generation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was his thing in the seventies. Like he loved to water ski. He had a speed boat. We went to the beach like every weekend. Like he was very very good at that stuff, and his kids were not.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it takes skill.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the shark appears behind the water skiers and immediately they're like what but and they all just fall over. I don't think the shirk gets any of the water skiers, and so it's like, I'm gonna try these bumper boats. So then it goes over to the bumper boat area where Leah Thompson and the other guy like immediately fall in the water like immediately they and the shark immediately goes after them and bites Leah Thompson like on the leg and.
Speaker 3: It just bites her leg, doesn't bite off her leg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't bite off her leg, just like she's got a big old gash in her leg. Scratch 'tis but a scratch, a mere flesh wound. And they they get her out and they get her in an ambulance and Sean's like I'm going with her in the ambulance.
Speaker 1: And it's like.
Speaker 2: Okay, goodbye Sean and Kelly. We never see them again, never.
Speaker 3: Seen him again. He's like, now doing know what I'm talking about? Yeah, He's like, you go back to the country please.
Speaker 1: He's like, I Am not going anywhere near the water until part four where I am now the sheriff.
Speaker 3: What if he became like a rodeo clown, so instead of like shark, he's got like bulls that chase.
Speaker 2: Him that would make more sense to me than but he doesn't part for yeah, and then Lewis Causa Junior gives this very calm speech over the pa like you know, that's very much like airplane basically where it was like, you know, does anyone know how to.
Speaker 1: Fly a plane?
Speaker 2: And everyone freaks out, Like it starts very calm, and he's like I need everyone to leave in an orderly fashion, and then we get the scene where the kid goes, look.
Speaker 4: At that fish.
Speaker 2: Look at that fish.
Speaker 4: Holy shit, Holy shit.
Speaker 2: The dad like makes a bee line for it. So all these people start making a run for it, and the sharks like, hmmm, tunnel and like immediately starts trying to bite the tunnels, and then you know, they start leaking, and then they're like blocking off the tunnels as they're flooding, and as the doors are closed. I posted this on social media, so go to my TikTok or whatever. But as the doors are closing and everything's flooding, this guy tries to run back into the tunnel and he's like, I need my wallet. I'm like, Bro's gonna hit the gift shop on his way out, Like why does he need his Like he's risking his life to get his way.
Speaker 1: He doesn't get maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm totally gonna look up tonight I need that condom, Like, oh no, I have a Starbucks gift carden there. I don't know why he needed his wallet's so bad, but I love that. That is something that's in the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then as all of this is having happening, McCorkindale, who I refuse to call by his character name, which is also Great fitz Royce, fitz Royce, and his and his man, his butler, I don't know who. He calls him, governor. He's like where what do you think, Governor?
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: They decide that they are going to be live bait for the shark. They're going to lure John into a giant pipe, and they're gonna document it all of course, like on video or with pictures or whatever. And they get the shark into the pipe, but mccorkindale's rope snaps and then the shark eats him and we see it from like his point of view, like now we're in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like now.
Speaker 2: We're the in the shark's mouth and the shark's like ro ro rock it's uh, it reminds me of Little Shop of Horrors when the dentist is, oh, yeah, it looks very much like that. And then like Dennis Quaid is down there and he's trying to like fix the pipes or something, and she's like, I need to get down there too, So she goes down there because why not. And there's a whole thing about they're gonna shut off the pumps and suffocate the sh shark and all this, but the shark gets out, and then the dolphins show up and like save Dennis Quaid and Best Armstrong. They like grab onto their fins and like rescue them again because dolphins. Yeah, because dolphins are really smart, they're able to like fix the tunnels, I guess, so then the people can get out of the tunnels. So all of those people are gonna live. I don't know if the guy got his wallet back, but they're at least gonna live. And then Best Armstrong, Dennis Quaid and Lewis Gossit Junior are in the control center and they're like, what are we gonna do now?
Speaker 1: And then it's like it goes slow motion and it's.
Speaker 3: Like, ah, shark.
Speaker 2: And we see the shark coming from like a million miles away, and it's really slow and it looks like a paper shark, and it's coming and it like breaks the glass and the glass is supposed to be like flying in our faces, like a big three D moment, but that's not gonna happen when you watch it at home on peacock and it immediately floods and I think it eats someone in there. It gets to chow down on something. By the way, the shark is just mindlessly eating because it hasn't even finished Fitzroy yet. Fitzroy is still just sitting there like in his mouth, and he eats this other guy. And they see that Fitzroy is in there and he's holding a grenade. So then Dennis Quaid like pulls the key on the grenade and the shark explodes.
Speaker 3: As it does as it.
Speaker 2: Does, and then they, like Dennis Quaid and Bess Armstrong float up to the top and they're like, I hope the dolphins are okay, and they call the dolphins and they both show up and they're doing their twirls in the air and she goes all right and like throws her arms up in the air like yay, And we get a freeze frame because it's the eighties and we get a freeze.
Speaker 1: Frame and.
Speaker 2: I don't know, is there a song playing over it? I didn't catch that, but I bet it was really good.
Speaker 4: And that's it.
Speaker 1: And that's the movie. It's not good, but it sucks.
Speaker 3: But it's kind of but it's kind of hilarious.
Speaker 2: It's kind of hilarious too. It's like, it's a bad movie, but I wasn't bored.
Speaker 3: It's got some style to it. It's they you know, they were trying. They were really trying to make something different and make it cool and make it different.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: It doesn't work. It doesn't make any sense. You don't care about anybody that dies. Nope, and no, there's lots of plot holes in there, and there's lots of things that just drop and it doesn't make any sense how a thirty year old Dennis Quaid is playing the sun that got to be the most.
Speaker 2: Actually, the only death that is sad is baby shark, Baby shark, baby shark, Like that's the only death that matters.
Speaker 1: I read that the.
Speaker 2: Original script for this do you know this already was a comedy? No Okay, So the original script was called called Jaws three People zero and it was going to be a National Lampoons movie, and John Hughes worked on the script.
Speaker 3: I thought it would have been funny.
Speaker 2: And apparently it's a really funny script. But then Universal was like, we're not quite ready to shit all over our franchise quite right.
Speaker 3: We might have another one in us before we do that exactly.
Speaker 2: It turned out they really didn't have another one in them, and they.
Speaker 3: Probably they should have made it.
Speaker 1: We already mentioned that Dennis Quaid was coked out of his gourd during.
Speaker 3: He admits it by the way.
Speaker 1: He says that we're not making that up.
Speaker 2: And then I think these kinds of awards are bullshit, But it was nominated for a bunch of Golden Raspberry awards. We don't like these kinds of awards. I think they're bullshit, but I want to call them out because they nominate the Dolphins for like Worst Newcomers, and I'm like, how fucking dare you?
Speaker 3: How dare the dolphins are the best part of the movie.
Speaker 2: I won't stand for dolphin slander.
Speaker 3: Do you know that Leah Thompson and Dennis Quaid were engaged.
Speaker 1: I did not know that they.
Speaker 3: Met on the set of this movie and they got engaged and then she dumped him.
Speaker 2: Oh that's probably a good choice on her. Yeah, like good call, Good Call Leah Thompson. She met her husband on some kind of wonderful.
Speaker 3: And the director.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're still married and happy.
Speaker 3: Very happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah for her, We love her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did great.
Speaker 2: She is so great. So I have either we could do I've got shark movies or I've got a whole bunch of three D movies. Well, I kind of already listened to the three D movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did the shark movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so other shark movies for us, unless we have anything else we want to say about jossh three D.
Speaker 3: No, I've exhausted it.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, so Deep Bluesy never seen it, okay, nineteen ninety nine. Very entertaining if you guys like entertaining shark movies. Yeah, it's fine. The Meg, never seen it. I'm gonna suspect you probably haven't seen a lot of these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm not a big sharks.
Speaker 2: I will say I watched The Meg last year with my thirteen year old and he really liked it. He thought it was super fun. And there's a scene where someone is in one of those giant bubbles that you put on the plastic bubbles that you put on the water and you can run in them. There's somebody in one of those in the shark jumps up and pops the bubble and eats the guy, and my son thought that was the funniest thing he'd ever seen.
Speaker 1: He laughed so hard. Open Water, I've seen that one.
Speaker 3: That one terrified me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really scary, and it's based.
Speaker 3: On a true story. A couple they were in Australia and they were snorkeling or deep diving, and the company that took them out forgot about the two of them, yep, and they just took off and these poor people like basically drowned, starved to death.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were trapped in the middle of nowhere. And in the movie that I think they get surrounded by sharks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so intense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't see this one, but I heard it's good too. The shallows never seen it. That's the one with Blake Lively and she's on a rock and it's surrounded by sharks. Forty down dope.
Speaker 1: Sorry, No, that's the one with.
Speaker 2: Mandy Moore and she's like a shark cage and I believe she's forty meters down.
Speaker 3: And then we don't know what a meter is. I'm American.
Speaker 1: And then there's Shark Tale.
Speaker 3: Never seen it?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's an animated movie. Yeah, I didn't see it either because I don't want to. Last year a movie came out called Under Paris. What And it's sharks that are swimming around Paris?
Speaker 3: You mean the sin I guess so, okay.
Speaker 2: All right, the Reef another one that I don't know anything about.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 2: Earlier this year one came out called Into the Deep Nope, and it has Richard Dreyfus in it.
Speaker 3: I've seen the Deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've seen The Deep. And then this one didn't really play in theaters. But obviously I have to mention it Sharknado.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, because your friend is the director.
Speaker 2: Yes, my friend Anthony Fronte directed the Sharknado movies. And actually his new movie is a shark movie too, called Great White Waters and it's playing on two B came out on fourth of July. Aw, if you want to see another shark movie. I haven't watched it yet because I had to watch just three D but I will watch it.
Speaker 1: I will watch it. That's our list.
Speaker 3: Do you want to hear the top ten songs for when this came out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: So it's middle of July ninety eight three. This is the American Top forty list, So we're going top ten. Really great list, by the way. Number ten Donna Summer she works hard for the money.
Speaker 1: I love that song, love it, great video too.
Speaker 3: Number nine Stevie Nicks stand Back.
Speaker 2: I loved the Stevie Nicks album. I had the cassette tape.
Speaker 3: Do you know Prince did the the instrumentation for this, like the organ sounds.
Speaker 2: They not know that, but that would make sense, okay.
Speaker 3: Stevie was a huge Prince fan, and she sent him like a mash note like I love you, I think you're awesome, And he wrote her back and Hey, anytime you want to work, let me know, and she said, actually, there's the song I'm working on and I can't figure it out. And she said, Prince showed up like middle of the night. They're in New York and he went into the studio and two hours later, what you hear stand back, that's what Prince did, and then he left and nobody could figure out how we did it. He that guy wore he's a genius. Yes all he worked all the time, but that's a Prince thing. Uh. Number eight Duran Durant Is there something I should know? I love Daran Duran Duran. I love the song. Number seven Madness Our House.
Speaker 2: I loved Madness too, same love them.
Speaker 3: This is number six. This is all great songs. The Kinks come Dancing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's a good song.
Speaker 1: I love that one too.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm gonna love every one of these songs.
Speaker 3: I know it. Yeah. Number five Michael Jackson, want to be starting something?
Speaker 2: Well, you couldn't get away from a song. You couldn't get away from thriller like it was everywhere.
Speaker 3: Number four Sergio Mendes Never Going to Let You Go. It was one of those ballads.
Speaker 1: It's a total slow dance song.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Number three Irene Kara Flashdance. What a Feeling?
Speaker 1: Never heard of it?
Speaker 3: Right? Number two I love this song Eddie Grant Electric Avenue.
Speaker 2: That song is dope's pop.
Speaker 3: And number one The Police Every Breath You Take.
Speaker 1: Such a romantic song.
Speaker 3: We all thought it was, and then when you actually listen to the lyrics, you're like, oh, no, he's a stalker.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah. I remember driving somewhere with my mom's best friend and her boyfriend were in the front seat and listening to this song and they were like, it's our song, and I, even as a kid, I was like like really, I was like like confused.
Speaker 3: Dog. Then it became I'll be missing you by oh the pig p Didy. Fuck that guy, yeah, fuck him? Anyway, Well we'll ignore that. We're not going to go into that. That's not what a creep?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What else are you jorking out about? My friend?
Speaker 3: I was in the mood for, you know, to cheering up. You know what, what can I binge that I've watched before but I haven't seen it in a while. That'll put me in a good mood. And I found Shit's Creak and I put on and I started with season three because I feel like the first season into the second they're kind of just feeling their way. Yeah, it's like season three is when they all are just running in all cylinders. Everyone knows their job, what they're doing. I think they're the funniest goddamn actors.
Speaker 4: Ever.
Speaker 3: I love that and it has so much heart to it. Yes, you just the love stories are really sweet and I just was gobbling it up and it's just been amazing. Oh.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's definitely one of those shows that rewards repeat viewing.
Speaker 3: It really does like you find things that you didn't catch the first time. So I recommend that if you're looking for because they're also like twenty two minutes a piece, Like it's just it's perfect. I've been watching clips from the Glastonbury Festival and it's Olivia Rodrigo is fucking incredible. Her set was incredible, Loly Young was there, Neil Young was there.
Speaker 4: They've had like all these amazing artists.
Speaker 3: I've just been watching clips of it and there's just like, you know, thousands of thousands of thousands of people in the audience, including Paul McCartney who goes every year and just hangs out and nobody gets stumped, no one gets killed. It's just like there's mud and they're all wearing their wellies and they're just having a great time. Yeah, and then Sinners is on Max.
Speaker 1: Now, oh my god, so yeah, of.
Speaker 3: Course I had to watch it again. I've had it on the other day, and then last night I saw a Complete Unknown, which is on Disney Slash Hulu, and I fucking loved it. I think Timothy Shallomey was amazing, and I think the women in there are incredible, Elle Fanning and Monica Barbero and ed Ed Edward plays Edward Norton, who plays Pete Seeger, who I was for book versus movie. We did Alice's Restaurant where there's a whole scene. Arlou Guthrie's father was Woody Guthrie, and he has a scene in his movie called Alice's Restaurant, which is based on eighteen minutes song he wrote two years before a few years before, and there's a whole scene where Pete Seeger is singing to his dad, and his father had died in sixty seven and he's filming this in nineteen sixty nine. It's crazy to think about that. So then I watched this movie and there's like a whole other way it's done. And Timothy Shallomey just really impressed me. He just yeah, he really dove into this. I believe it was Bob Dylan, like I started just he sounded like him. He plays like him, I know more of the story than you do about because they don't tell you anything like you do have to. I mean, I've read all the books about Bob Dylan and stuff like that, so I knew what these people were and what the stakes were. Yes, And I get it when you said you saw it like I don't understand this folk festival, Like what's the point? And yeah, I get it. If you don't know anything about it, it's like it's just another gig that he played the year before. What's the big deal now? But but that being said, I kind of like that it didn't tell me anything, but because I didn't get ready.
Speaker 1: I get it. Yeah, Like the and I talked about it.
Speaker 2: I think when it first came out, I saw it and I talked about it on the show, and I was like, it is right in the title, by the way, a complete unknown, like I walked out of it, and I was like, well, I don't know if I really learned anything about Bob Dylan that I didn't already know just from like existing in the world. I don't listen to a lot of Bob Dylan. I haven't read all the books or all that, but I saw it with a friend who's also like super into Bob Dylan, and she loved it, like, yeah, he loved the movie.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I think that's it makes sense to me that.
Speaker 2: You would respond to it that way because you have also like read all the books and know all the things. Even though I was like, I don't like love the movie. I thought the performances were amazing.
Speaker 3: Makes New York look amazing. I mean they all of it. Yeah, I had the guy who played Johnny Cash was really good.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it was really really well done.
Speaker 3: And Shallon I deserve that Oscar nomination. I mean he really puts himself into it because and also that's a thing like we're not supposed to know bomb Dylan. That's the whole fucking thing, Like that's what we'll find out what he dies, So probably like there's a diary that says, haha, just I just I'm a total door.
Speaker 2: You didn't know that, Yeah, I just I think the women and it were all like so amazing, And I thought Edward Norton was so great as Pete Seeger. And I do think you are right in that Timothy Chalomy. I'm I am positive A couple of years from now, people be like Adrian Brody won for the brutalist really, I.
Speaker 3: Mean compared to what he's doing here versus that he's playing someone we all know which is already dangerous, which is already like that is like the kiss of death for an actor. They don't want someone that everybody already has an idea about, and he's but he does it really well. He gets the voice down the playing and then when he's writing the songs, like I was getting like this thrill from it because these are songs I've heard my whole life, and I'm like just to watch them create it. And yeah, he's probably like and Joe Bias, I think gets her flowers finally, like she was the one who really encouraged him, but also she was the one that was like he did. She would say, he doesn't go to the protests. He's not some political person like everybody wants. And that's the thing, like everyone wants him to be the second Coming. Like he figured out just enough tell people just this much about myself, that I'm mysterious and you have some power, and then it kind of overtook him and he didn't understand what to do with it. And she's saying like, we'll do good with it, like let's and he's like, I don't know, I'm kind of a coward. I don't think I'm going to do that, and I and I think like, yeah, I don't know. I just and the women who played like el Fanning, I was completely floored by her, She's really good. Like it just was all so freaking believable that I was glad that they didn't have somebody to come in like, oh, hey, so the folk festival. I hope nobody brings an amp or anything that ruin it, you know, a you know, and then you'd be like, oh, Okay, that's why they're so pissed off, Like the fact that I just I think it's handled just great and I think it's one of those like down the Line, people will start watching it, and I think they'll get into it.
Speaker 1: I hope so too. I think so too.
Speaker 2: And I do really think that that movie is going to hold up a lot better and people are going to be surprised that it didn't win more stuff. Yeah I like it better, Yeah, go ahead, sorry.
Speaker 3: I like it better than Walk the Line. And he did the Johnny Cash one that I really liked. I think it's even better than that.
Speaker 2: Well, also the fact that what a couple of years ago, oh my god, the guy who he won for Bohemian Rhapsody.
Speaker 3: Oh that's it, which is a terrible movie.
Speaker 2: Compared to and he didn't he didn't even do his own singing and stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, he was like, right, I.
Speaker 3: Think he's made. We're talking about I Robot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 3: What's what's his fucking name?
Speaker 2: Rommy, Rommy Rommy something, Rommylick Malick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's a totally fine movie. But like when it won for edit for editing and then people are like, really, you mean this scene that scene it's Banannah, and it's like yeah, And I even liked I liked the Elton John movie, Like, not everybody liked that one. I thought that was fun, But I think this is like heads and Shoulders, Like, if you're gonna do a biopic of music, biopic, like this is one of the best ones.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'm glad you finally got to see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: Anything else on your list?
Speaker 3: No, No, that was it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got a couple movies for y'all because we didn't record last week, So I need to mention that I saw F one, the formulat racing movie with Brad Pitt. Like everyone, I have conflicting feelings about Brad Pitt. Actually I don't know how conflicting they are. He's a creep, but he is quite the movie star, much like Tom Cruise, Like we still go see Mission Impossible, even though we're like Tom Cruise.
Speaker 3: But I like how they're being buddy buddy and doing breast together. I mean, it's like, oh, for God's sakes, you two, of course they are.
Speaker 2: First of all, here's a couple of good things. First, the racing stuff is very cool, like it's shot. It's very entertaining how they shoot the racing stuff.
Speaker 1: I much like you just mentioned.
Speaker 2: There's no character in a Complete Unknown that says, I hope no one brings an amp. I would have liked a character in F one who says, this is the rules of Formula one racing because I don't know the rules. I don't know it, and I think it's wrong to assume that people are going to see this movie are going to understand the rules. Everything I know about car racing I learned from the movie cars from Pixar's cars, Like I needed someone to explain to me some of the rules of Formula one racing, but nobody does that because it isn't They're not just like driving in a circle on a track.
Speaker 4: There is.
Speaker 2: There's like they're on teams. There's two of them, they're both driving at the same time. They can talk to their team, but they don't talk to to each other. I had to figure all that stuff out and ask people afterwards to find out like I would have liked to have seen those things in the movie. Also, Brad Pitt is too old for this part. He's too old for this part. He's sixty one, Like I think he's a little too old for this part. But they do say that he's too old in the movie, so he's.
Speaker 1: Got that going for him.
Speaker 2: But that's also too long, right, it's all about it. Yeah, yeah, it's like thirty minutes too long. They should have This is the same director who did Maverick. I love Maverick. I thought Maverick was very entertaining, Like, but this movie is it feels a little messy. It needed to cut like a half hour off. There's this whole thing where it's like the story is a little bit like Bull Durham if it's like we're bringing in the pro to help train the rookie, and but the movie still defers to Brad Pitt and gives him the wins and makes him really smart, and it's I don't I don't like that.
Speaker 1: I don't want to.
Speaker 2: Spoil it for people by really talking about one of my biggest issues with the movie, But the way that it constantly is like he's here to train the younger rookie, but then Brad Putt still needs to win is a weird balance and it doesn't really work for me.
Speaker 1: So I don't like love the movie.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: That's I guess that's where I'm landing. But I did see something I really love. So I saw Sorry Baby, which is a new like comedy drama that just came out. The writer director star is Eva Victor, and a friend invited me to a screening and she was there doing a Q and A afterwards, and it was really really interesting. She like has a San Francisco connection, so that's why she was here. But it's about a woman who she lives in like a northern eastern college town and she's sexually assaulted by her advisor, and it doesn't show it, by the way, it's not that kind of movie. But she talks about it, and it kind of shows the aftermath of that and how she pieces her life back together, and about her friendship with her roommate.
Speaker 1: And it's a very soft movie.
Speaker 2: I don't know about her word to describe it than that it's like really really funny in some parts because the character is just so funny, but it's also really thoughtful, and it just feels very soft and how it handles something so serious. It's really really well done. I don't think you need to run out and see it in the theater, but I would definitely stream it when it's streaming. And then what else have you heard of? Forty acres? No, Okay, this one is my You will love forty Acres, Margo.
Speaker 1: You will love it.
Speaker 2: This would make a great double feature with Sinners. So this one is written by Rtie Thorne, written and directed by I don't think this person hasn't directed anything else I've seen. But it's like set in like a post apocalyptic world where like farming is farmland is the most coveted resource, and so this family has forty acres that they are. That's their farm that they grow on, and it's like a mixed family. It's like a black woman, a Native American man, and then like their children and they are just protecting their farm from all these people that want to show up and just take what is not theirs.
Speaker 1: And it's not surprising. It's a lot of like really.
Speaker 2: Entitled white people basically keep showing up. It's very political about white men taking from indigenous people. But it's a really good like thriller. It's scary in some parts.
Speaker 3: Where did you see it?
Speaker 1: I saw it in the theater. I had never heard of it.
Speaker 2: This is another one where a friend was like, you might like this, come see it with me, and I went to see it.
Speaker 1: And it's like.
Speaker 2: Set in Canada, so it's got but it's very it feels very American. I think this would be a great double feature with Sinners about how it talks about race and entitlement and you really care about these characters and you don't want anything bad to happen to them.
Speaker 1: So I loved seeing it in the theater.
Speaker 2: If but if you can't see it in the theater, definitely rent it when it comes out. Margo in particular, I think you would be super into it. And there's also a documentary on ahe Bo Max right now called Dear Miss, and it's about Miss Magazine with Miss Magazine thank You, and has lots of interviews of all the writers and editors who worked at it in that time. I think it's very interesting. I'm about halfway through, so I don't tell me how it ends, but I think it's very, very interesting. So definitely check that one out. And then if you like the sound of our voices and why wouldn't you, we co hosed a podcast called What a Creep where we talk about creeps of the past and the present. Our most recent episode is the one the Replay, a replay about George.
Speaker 3: Washington Washington Yes, and the case of Ona Judge, who was an enslaved person who was free, but he kept chasing after her because no one tells the president.
Speaker 2: No sounds familiar, right right?
Speaker 3: No kings here?
Speaker 2: Frustrating anyway, Please listen to that, my friend. Where can people find you on the Internet.
Speaker 3: I'm at Brooklynfitchick dot com. I'm at Brooklynfitchick for threads and Instagram. I'm at Brooklynmargo for Blue Sky and TikTok and then I'm at my name Margo Donna Hue for YouTube.
Speaker 2: Y'all follow her on all the things. Her book is coming out next month.
Speaker 3: Next month, it's.
Speaker 2: Called Fever The Complete Story Saturday Night Fever.
Speaker 3: Go get it.
Speaker 2: You won't be sorry because it's really good. You can find me at the Sonia Show dot com and the Sonia Show on TikTok and blue Sky and Instagram. And if you like the show and would like some stickers, you could email us at Dorkinoutshow at gmail dot com or you can leave us a review.
Speaker 1: That would be great.
Speaker 2: It helps us find our people, so we would really appreciate that, and we take requests. So you could go to Dorkinoutshow dot com and find Dorkingoutshow on all the social channels and let us know what.
Speaker 1: You want us to talk about and we'll talk about it on the show.
Speaker 2: My friend, thank you for going into the sea with me to talk about Jaws three D.
Speaker 3: Thank you for inviting me. As always, my wallet