Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio WAB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. Tim Bentley in with me today. Now we have one with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball, Breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Happy Friday to everyone out there, yours truly, mister Greed. Two shoes back for the double header. Second part of the doubleheader. Yes, thank you for doing here yesterday. Let's play two, baby, Let's play two Part two, Part two?
Speaker 4: Are you paying him overtime for this today?
Speaker 2: Let's move on to the show. I don't talk about that breaking news.
Speaker 5: He's gone.
Speaker 6: That's the breaking news.
Speaker 3: Starting going with some Arizona athletics.
Speaker 6: We can laugh about it, though.
Speaker 4: One laughing right now. I can see him.
Speaker 3: I'm having a great time. It's Friday. Women's volleyball beat Northern Colorado in the and IVC. They're gone to the championship game.
Speaker 6: They were like ten in row eleven roll.
Speaker 3: They started at eleven and a finished eleven and stopped. I'm not sure where they play it. They haven't come out with it. But last night they did beat Northern Colorado three to one. I think it was in the third set they dropped in. Yeah, I think they put in. This is fantastic for them.
Speaker 2: I saw Dia Barnes already kind of politicks for crowds like they did in the in the wn I T No.
Speaker 4: I think it's great, it's exciting.
Speaker 7: I have a soft spot for the you know, the secondary quote unquote sports. You know, these the volleyball players across country, the track kids, the tennis players. I love when they have success like this. I mean just it's fun to watch the kids get excited. You know, this big deal. You know you're playing for You're in the run for a national championship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this. This is a team I think that only won nine games last year. They have only lost nine games this year. It's a little bit of a reverse for them. But so on ESPN, there's this story the Duke lacrosse accuser admitted to publicly that she made up the story eighteen years ago.
Speaker 7: Somebody, Yeah, two thousand and six and seven, and she's in jail. I read you know, I mean, she's been in jail since twenty eleven because she murdered her boyfriend. Oh really yeah, and so really yeah, she made up the stories. It was on a podcast, I think, yeah, you know it's a Let's Talk with Cat podcast. Made up the story wasn't true. She wanted the validation from people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a tough spot. You know.
Speaker 7: Again, you know, young young kids, you know, remember that that was a big deal eighteen and that was kind of pre social media, pre you know all this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was right right right, and the race and all that stuff was crazy.
Speaker 4: Tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good weekend of men's college basketball coming up tomorrow. Got some good matchups. Texas A and m Number seventeen plays number eleven per Due in the Indie Classic. Sean Miller and his Xavier team going to Cincinnati, number twenty two Cincinnati, of course, UCLA and Arizona duking it out up in Phoenix Footprint Center. Arizona Stake is playing Florida in the Holiday Hoopsgiving event. They've done well, yeah, I mean she was eight and one, Florida's nine and one. See if they the Sun Doubles had the games their first loss. Ten Number one Tennessee takes on Illinois. I believe that's at Illinois YEAP Farm Center.
Speaker 6: With Kylin Boswell.
Speaker 3: Gallen Boswell, former Arizona Wildcat Zaga takes on You Call in the Hall of Fame series in New York City and then creaton plays Alabama and.
Speaker 6: Galusa, creating the team that's just knocked up walk Kansas.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I predict that Alabama's going to crush him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's Alabama.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh. The more good matchups in the NBA. We got the NBA Cup this weekend taking on the Bucks.
Speaker 6: Golden State Warriors got screwed a couple days ago.
Speaker 2: Sure you were here, right, didn't Then the NBA say it was said it was a good call.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: So the teams for the championship tonight, the end tournament or the semi finals?
Speaker 5: Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow at two thirty, the Hawks take on the Bucks six thirty the Rockets, who beat the Warriors on a good call.
Speaker 4: I think the players get paid a few extra bucks, right if they went.
Speaker 7: I mean that's kind of why they so's they'll take it seriously, right yea.
Speaker 3: The Rockets take on the Nuggets six thirty. Team Oble Arena, Las Vegas to the NFL. Some updates on injuries people coming back, people not coming people not playing at all. Uh, which included last night's game between the Niners and the Rams. Demandra Campbell left at I believe halftime and just did not want to play last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they said, they said that he looks like he'll be cut sometime soon.
Speaker 7: He didn't like watching all those field goals. There was like, what fifteen field goals? It was like four and threes it was.
Speaker 3: There's six six total field goals made.
Speaker 6: It was raining pretty heavily to win it.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, but uh, speaking of Thursday night football, the Rams did beat the Niners four field goals to.
Speaker 4: Two, beat him four to two soccer match.
Speaker 3: The Dolphins did release veteran ride receiver Odell Beckham Junior today. Yeah. He appeared in nine games, seven cancers, I think something somewhere around that. But he's on the market now.
Speaker 6: He probably won't play anymore.
Speaker 2: I mean, if this team team that needs wide receivers cut you, and he's he's older than you too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's or just a little.
Speaker 4: I looked for him.
Speaker 7: I looked up to him for advice about aging. You know, he's Oh God, I don't know what's going to happen to him. I mean, is I mean somebody.
Speaker 3: Don't for Argentina.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna.
Speaker 4: Catches the football with one hand, now, dude, come on, man.
Speaker 3: And then they do it looking backwards or on their heads. You can do it all.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I think I think he'll get one more team just to the playoff run. With the playoff run, that's what I think. Team like I think that. I know it's it's hard to say, but I feel like the Chiefs would go and get someone like that.
Speaker 6: Chiefs just didn't. He was in with them before.
Speaker 7: I think that the Chiefs might, you know, just just to have a little be a little deeper and you know, into the playoff run and keep some of those people healthy.
Speaker 3: And all of a sudden he catches a super Bowl win, he touchdown, and then he goes off into the.
Speaker 6: Right in your book, not me, okay.
Speaker 3: Uh So the Steelers ruled out George Pickens today. Uh They got their match against the Eagles as well as the Shawn Elliott, their safety and defensive end Larry uh Ogang Jobe I hope I said that right. The Packers without JayR Alexander for their matchup against the Seahawks. Jonathan Allen could return this season. They're hopeful but uncertain as of right now. The Bill's rookie wide receiver key On Coleman is to make his return versus the Lions. That should be a good matchup the Bills and Lions, the Chiefs said. The Hollywood Brown is set to return to practice. I'm not sure if that will materialize into anything, so we'll see what happens with that. Marshall Latimore is going to make his manager's debut against his former teams in New Orleans Saints. What else I got? Arizona is set to hire Marshall's Seth Doge as a new offensive coordinator.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's they announced that today in twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: Or so, right, So how do you feel about that? I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know. Is a quick fix probably will happen. Well, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Guess what.
Speaker 6: Who's the head coach?
Speaker 5: Where?
Speaker 3: Who's the head coach?
Speaker 5: At? Well?
Speaker 6: They're not changing changing that, okay, never mind, I don't know. Like'm joking.
Speaker 2: Of course, this may be just doesn't apply, but it does because I want to be funny, lipstick.
Speaker 3: Kind of pig.
Speaker 6: Who's the coach? Who's the boss?
Speaker 4: Right, does does he bring a flair? Does he bring a he's got to bring some innovation? Does he bring something that that appeals to Noah? I mean I don't know. That's what's we.
Speaker 2: Don't Okay, nice, nice, Uh, I've been married once. I'm not doing it again.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to find an analogy for I can't. I can't.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do that.
Speaker 4: No, but did they did you know?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: So no is your best player? I mean we've seen.
Speaker 6: You're hoping that that offense that he has.
Speaker 4: And does he bring to some people say, hey, we hired this guy from Marshall?
Speaker 5: Is you know?
Speaker 7: Do are there some receivers out on the market that want to come play with No?
Speaker 6: How do they fit?
Speaker 4: And how do they fit? Do you want to make a run at it?
Speaker 2: Somebody said on the internet, Okay, who put it out of stuff that in in his offense at the Marshall the quarterback around forty of the time.
Speaker 3: Do you want your quarterback running forty percent?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: I don't want my quarterback round that's my knee just popped out thinking about it.
Speaker 6: And who's your quarterback?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Do you want running for the dollars? Okay? So, how does that fit? How does that fit? How does that shoe fit? Mister Albundy? Yep, the sales the shoe salesman.
Speaker 7: Well maybe maybe it's maybe we'll just pay eight million dollars next year.
Speaker 6: What was that minimum wage you were making?
Speaker 7: I meant when I worked at the copper mine, I made seven dollars I got. I've worked my way up to seven dollars now double minimum wage because wage was three fifths.
Speaker 6: Came back with an eye black underneath. Yep, we'll see, We'll see.
Speaker 2: I'll I'll wait because we'll see how it all looks. And they're gonna have to go after some crazy talent from the portal.
Speaker 6: We don't know how that's gonna.
Speaker 3: Look either, crazy talent while also trying to keep some of the guys if they can right whatever's left.
Speaker 6: Do you and I'll ask jadis do you want the guys that left back?
Speaker 5: Are you know?
Speaker 3: Do you want to back?
Speaker 4: Not really easy?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I might be in the Jay's school of you know, like, hey, let's hey, you know what we talked about this. You know you are an adult and we're going to treat you like an adult. I root for you, But if you don't want to be here right now. Good luck, you know, good luck because you're not you know, well.
Speaker 6: You brought up the point with you silly.
Speaker 2: And then there's gonna be a lot of times when you're going to face an old teammate or are you gonna face it old?
Speaker 7: It's gonna have more and more and more, you know, and it'll be you know, it'll it'll be the same storyline, Oh, you know, so and so led us up last time or so so as a score to settle, but.
Speaker 3: Of scores to settle. Some more coaching hiring. Houston is set to hire a Florida defensive coordinator. Austin Armstrong is their defensive coordinator. I don't really know a lot about that, but okay, someone not someone off of the defensive coordinator carousel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, there's plenty of a lot of those guys.
Speaker 3: Come on. Alabama's Justin Hayes. Haynes running back is set to enter the transfer portal, as well as or Michigan quarterback Alex org. A lot of people thought he was going to be the starter going into this year, but he was now they went through their whole rotation of quarterbacks, I believe this year. But we'll see what happens for him, as well as the running back bole season starts.
Speaker 6: What's up Tomorrow? Who is it?
Speaker 3: Jackson State? South Carolina State in the Cricket Celebration Bowl ten o'clock ABC. South Alabama takes on Western Michigan in the ISS for four S Salute to Veterans Bowl seven o'clock.
Speaker 7: What is the Cricket Salute the Cricket Solutions Ball Celebration Bowl, Cricket Celebration in Mercedes ben Stadium. Yeah, long history of great games in the Cricket Celebration Bowl.
Speaker 3: I'm excited.
Speaker 4: I can't wait.
Speaker 3: I'm excited from.
Speaker 7: The years and years of amazing games.
Speaker 3: And then of course America's game maybe taken on Army.
Speaker 2: So for some reason, I just got to text about your microphone. Maybe you're not talking it into it as well, but it's not they're not hearing you as much. Maybe put it up a little sure, put up your yeah or not output it? Maybe yeah the thing there? Yeah, mayvy taken on Army. Oh, that should be a good game. That should be a good game.
Speaker 5: Both.
Speaker 3: Early on in the season, a lot of people were talking about how this might be a playoff implication game.
Speaker 4: I was written for that too. I thought that would have been fun, you know, let's just shake it up the share.
Speaker 3: But obviously that's not happening. Something that I just came across Randy Moss. Uh did he say? What came out? He is a cancer survivor?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: Because he said he was all right, he's taking time up. Did he say what he has and he's already.
Speaker 3: He just says, Uh, he says he's a cancer survivor.
Speaker 4: So you know that that means a lot of things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, That's that's why I'm kind of puzzled.
Speaker 4: You know, that means a lot of things.
Speaker 7: He might have been going through some treatment and he just isn't remission. Now you know that he's tested, says there's no sign of cancer in his body. So he's a cancer survivor. You know, it kind of depends what he was diagnosed with.
Speaker 6: He didn't say what.
Speaker 3: So he is being treated for cancer in his bile duct between his pancreas and liver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he had this for a while, didn't say anything until recently.
Speaker 7: Right, because he stepped down our last week or last week and he you know, chemo kicks your butt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you did, you have the dig by tail stuff too. He declared self preeting clear of cancers?
Speaker 3: Did they I didn't. I didn't see that. He was hospitalized for six days and was released today.
Speaker 6: So I was gonna say, you know more about that, because you know what that stuff is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, you know, so I'm a cancer survivor. I was diagnosed with non non Hodgingens lymphoma at stage four and so it's you know that you're rooting for remission, no sign of cancer, and so.
Speaker 2: With the possibility that coming is there always a possibility of coming back.
Speaker 7: Well for some cancers, some cancers you can cure, quote unquote cure. Some cancers they put into remission and then you get to your five years.
Speaker 4: I'm at.
Speaker 7: I was in remission in twenty eleven and I still go to the doctor once a year to see where you see where I'm at. I took a lot of a lot of drugs for about four years.
Speaker 4: I tell people I took a lot of drugs in the sixties.
Speaker 6: Well he was in the eighties.
Speaker 7: It was in the two thousands, but I you know, but it's it's so anyway, good for Randy, because that's a you know, cancer is a scary word.
Speaker 4: And so you know, to get to that point of remission is a wonderful feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know a lot of people have gone through and hey, we're way over there, Senor for sixteen, who's coming on next?
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter, Jesus, I'm going to stay for two sessions with Jay.
Speaker 6: So have your questions prepared.
Speaker 4: Mister Tim, All right, I'm ready to go and.
Speaker 6: See if you can get out of his picking prediction hole that he's in.
Speaker 3: Because he hasn't talked to me. I can, okay do it?
Speaker 6: So let's go and come back with Jay.
Speaker 3: Are you ready?
Speaker 8: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 6: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise? So Fasca Yuki try.
Speaker 9: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space today. Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doratle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 6: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 5: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 12: School and the fall sports season are in full stride. Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follows. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season for over one thousand fun items of you come visit Creative Awards at Creative Awards az dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street at Nova Homelans.
Speaker 13: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe Team dot Com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon a b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lindrix Syncredit greates and available loan programs or subset to change the don't notice?
Speaker 6: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot Com or visit them on e Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere the show tud cars for their passion.
Speaker 10: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car, you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit score.
Speaker 6: You can borrow better with Peeramide.
Speaker 10: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 14: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management. Specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio while just search Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Eye on the Ball, Hero Pucks, First Fortune fifty.
Speaker 6: I'm Steve Ravera.
Speaker 2: In today with me is Tim Bentley and now we have mister Jiggins Unice on the other side. I'm glad he's on the phone, is ye yelling at me and trying to punch me and stuff.
Speaker 15: Well, I'm calling you out. Pretend that I'm in a in a hole.
Speaker 5: In my picks. I'm doing okay, I'm not doing great.
Speaker 2: It's nothing like last year. Well, if you're going to compare that this year, the car drives at least, No, you're holding me. You're five and a half back.
Speaker 15: You're gonna have to ye, I'm five and a half back.
Speaker 5: Is that right?
Speaker 15: Look, you have one bad week, I have one good week.
Speaker 5: And I'm all over you again. I'm not worried about it at all.
Speaker 7: Whatever gets you through the day. He's showing me out his computers, and it does. It does not look it, you know what.
Speaker 5: That's all it takes. That's all it takes. This thing. They're still but is this six weeks weeks left in the pool? Okay, sixth week left. Anything can happen. You just got to anything can happen.
Speaker 4: One game a week over him and you make it back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, Yes, that's all. That's all.
Speaker 15: It starts this week.
Speaker 6: It starts easy, easy, Okay, no cool.
Speaker 2: We're going to make the predictions on the other side of the break here.
Speaker 6: You're you're my you're my guest today.
Speaker 2: Uh So, in about fifteen minutes or less, they're going to announce the new offensive coordinator. Your thoughts on him.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know him much and I didn't I didn't look him up. But the reaction I've gotten some people who I do talk to about football and who know a little bit of football are very happy, you know, sort of a modern offense kind of guy. I think that was the the.
Speaker 15: The criticism on on the offense.
Speaker 5: Is that it was old school, uh Dino Babers, you know, an older uh you know offensive coordinator has been a lot of time since he called plays, and the that the offense was unimaginative. And I think that was the criticism that we heard all season long, with especially with the talents that that they had, at least from the skill position side.
Speaker 15: And so this guy is apparently.
Speaker 5: Considered more of a modern offensive kind of guy. So we'll see. He's young, but we'll see, uh, you know, you know, Marshall had a good season and and so you know, I think I think it's a I don't know if you call it a home run higher, but certainly a higher that people can look at and say.
Speaker 15: Okay, you know, let's see what happened.
Speaker 6: What type of offense does he runs?
Speaker 5: To be right, he was an air raid kind of guy. But I did read that they actually ran the ball more this last year than they threw it. So really, when you think about it, sounds kind.
Speaker 15: Of like, well we say about rich Rod, right.
Speaker 5: Because rich Rod's offense was known as sort of an air raid, you know, spread front, go fast thing. But really the running game was what made that offense, you know, and I you know, Exhibit A was that five hundred yard rushing performance they had against a su and what that was the twenty sixteenth season when they hadn't won a pack ten game, packed club game all season and ran ran ran up of five hundred yards on AFU with a wide receiver at tailback.
Speaker 15: So rich Rod's offense, the misconception is that they threw it all over the field.
Speaker 5: They really don't. They really try to run the ball well.
Speaker 2: And I think it sounds like, this is the thing kind of guy you don't want your quarterback running.
Speaker 5: You certainly don't. And if it's and if it's still no Offacita next year, you know you're not going to be running him a whole bunch anyway because he just don't want him to be anyone. He's not. He's not fast, and he's not you know, I mean he was able to he's is like what they say about Tom Brady, right, and not compare him tom Brady, but the sense that he has a good pocket chance and so he can move around. But you're not going to run him on the read option on a regular basis, No, No, I just want to keep him low right and right.
Speaker 7: We were talking earlier that you know, this hire is it with an eye to you know, obviously to the future, and you know, and you're trying to be you know, attractive to you know, incoming students and kids on the market. You know, so you got to have like, hey, this is we're looking ahead, this is this is a shiny new offense.
Speaker 4: You come in and we've got we got something cool. What do you think about that?
Speaker 15: Well, that's exactly it.
Speaker 5: Look, you know, guying, you know, there's so much more at stake now, Okay, with the athletes, because they feel like, Okay, I'm going to go make some money at you know, the university of A B, C or D. But I keep wanting to keep making that money afterwards, and I need to go to a place where I've got a chance to do both. And and you know, if everyone wants to compete for players and good players, it's going to have to show that, Yeah, you can pay them while they're here, but they also want to have an opportunity, I mean opportunity for after the fact.
Speaker 15: I mean, why was Jed.
Speaker 5: Fish getting so many guys because they had all these you know, NFL contacts and you put the guys into the NFL. That's what guys are looking for. Now. The money aspect of it has gotten so big that now guys want to go to a place where they can make money.
Speaker 15: For a period of time. You know, they're four years, four or five.
Speaker 5: Years at a school and maybe a few years after that.
Speaker 15: So and they're going to want to be in an offense that gives them that opportunity.
Speaker 2: So I know your answer, but I'm asking anyway, So of the hundred guys who have left actually thirty or so.
Speaker 6: Do you want any of them back? No, that's what I thought.
Speaker 15: Well, how many times have you heard me say, Steve, if you don't want to be here, then I don't want you.
Speaker 6: What did I tell you? I told the guys is exactly that, if.
Speaker 5: You don't want to be here, then then go go. You know, uh, Kean Burnett, all those guys, get out of here. If you'd rather be somewhere else than go somewhere else, I'd rather. I feel like somebody who's here, who wants to be here, will play harder, will give you more, will pay more attention in the film room, We'll do more of the work. We'll do more of the of the of the physical work that they've got to do. From a training standpoint, if you if you want to be here, if you don't want to be here, if you've got one foot out the door or one eye looking somewhere else, I think that diminishes your effort tremendously.
Speaker 15: So a bunch of those guys are really good players.
Speaker 5: Trading Stoops and and and all those guys you know, Jacob Miners, They're all good players. I love them while they were here. But if you don't want to be here, then then go get the hell out of.
Speaker 3: Here, right.
Speaker 7: Some of those kids, you know, just have four or five years to make the name Jay, like you're saying, you know, rarely are they going to make the NFL.
Speaker 4: So they got to you.
Speaker 7: Know, pick and shoes, right, so you know, go, yeah, good luck to you, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Good luck.
Speaker 15: And I'm not I'm not. And I don't know if it sounding.
Speaker 5: Like I'm Madison, I'm not, you know, most again, getting back to the whole money thing, it's changed. Somebody out there is in their ears saying, you know what, go here and you can make some more money. Go here, you can make some money. Go here, you can make some more money, you know. And then maybe maybe there's something going on inside that they didn't like, you know, maybe they didn't like the level of coaching.
Speaker 15: Maybe they didn't like Blann na.
Speaker 5: Quina, you know, and then that's kind of crappy thing to say, but you know, maybe there's you know, you know what I'm saying that they just didn't feel like the coach was going well, but the attention to the program, all those things. Maybe they just think that there's a better.
Speaker 15: Opportunity somewhere and if you think there is, you.
Speaker 5: Go find it. More power to you.
Speaker 7: But on the flip side too that you know, somebody's gonna look at Arizona and say, hey, there's an opportunity. Now there's playing and there's and there's playing time over there. And they brought in this the new OC. So that's my spot. So I think, you know, as you proved it, we can do it exactly exactly.
Speaker 15: And you know, and I think back to when.
Speaker 5: Mike Stukes got there and the program was so bad, but you know.
Speaker 15: And it took him, took him a while to get it going.
Speaker 5: I think they had a couple of three and eight seasons in the first couple of years. But you could tell immediately immediately that that that that the team was in much better shape. And why was that Because Mike Stups was out there selling playing time. And that's what and that's what uh, Brent Brandon can do. And you know, get a staff in here, get a guy like this guy from from from Marshall, and get your guys out there and start pounding the payment and get not just high school recruit but go out there on the transfer uh you know, in the transfer port guys want.
Speaker 15: Guys are looking for places to play, and.
Speaker 5: Then if you can back it up with a little bit of money, they'll come here again.
Speaker 15: As you pointed out, Tim, look what Ahu did in the year.
Speaker 2: Well I was just going to kind of go there, but so now hearing that, I would assume though, it's going to be very daunking to get to get to replace the guys who have left under whatever circumstances you just said, and to get even better ones to come here to play.
Speaker 5: Yes, no it is, but it's not like they can't be done. And a lot of guys have shown that it can be done. How did b Yu get so good so fast? How did Iwa State get so good so fast? How did you know again ASU get so good so fast? How did two years ago, three years ago PCU gets so good so fast? Because it can be done, But you know what you've got to you kind of got to hit the jackpot, right, you got like I feel like what happened with Brennan. This is the other guys that he went and got. They just missed. They missed on a bunch of guys.
Speaker 15: You know, and then they had all the injuries. So there's a lot of factors.
Speaker 5: That go into this, but you just got to find the right combination of guys. And that's exactly what ASU did. They just found all the guys that A you turned to spit chunk of the roster over last year. But they just got the right guys. And so it's it's hard, but it's not undoing. I mean it can be done.
Speaker 6: Kind of like you catching me on the you'll picks. Well, that's for another exactly.
Speaker 15: You know what, you have one bad week, even I'm all over.
Speaker 5: You, right, I mean, look seriously, but look look.
Speaker 15: At what happened when there was.
Speaker 5: Going in a s U. They're gonna have, you know, one bad off season recruiting wise, injuries and all that stuff. A s U had one good season and the program is slipt over it. I can make it sound simple. It's not simple, but it can happen that fast, and.
Speaker 2: It did, and you're hopeful, and you're hopeful. Okay, so let's this is exactly. Let's forget about football for a second. Let's go to basketball. Okay, what about tomorrow. It's gonna be tough. I think they could very well lose tomorrow.
Speaker 5: They can lose.
Speaker 15: UCLA is always they can always lose the U s l A.
Speaker 5: They have lots of bad U c l A team. Uh, I'm gonna I'm gonna quote what somebody said to me on a can I say? Can I say piss on the radio somebody.
Speaker 15: I'm trying to look at where somebody somebody just.
Speaker 5: Said they can't be pissed tomorrow. They just can't. You know, do they need to win?
Speaker 15: It depends on how it looks.
Speaker 5: But you know they can't. It must not look like piss for sure.
Speaker 15: It's what somebody said.
Speaker 5: They can't. They can't look like they did against Wisconsin, and they can't look like they did against Duke.
Speaker 15: Right if if it's.
Speaker 5: A great game, somebody wins on a buzzer beat or at a two point game or whatever, then.
Speaker 15: You know, you say it was just better than you that day. And if you play them again, you.
Speaker 5: Might beat them, but they can't look bad doing it.
Speaker 15: There's a lot of people who are freaking out that this is.
Speaker 5: A bad team. They've got good players. I just still think that they're just figuring themselves out.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 7: We talked to Ben Bolt from the La Times and and he mentioned Love has a history with U C. L A when he was in North Carolina. And so they're the U c l A folks, you know, remember him, the pain of him, and they're they're keeping an eye on him.
Speaker 4: And we were talking earlier, maybe you heard, but.
Speaker 7: Does does the U of A go as Caleb goes? Or does Caleb go as the U of A goes? You know who affects who more?
Speaker 5: God? You know, that's a great question. I don't really know, I mean, because I mean, I mean, look at the difference, right, you know, when he has when he has a really good game, they play really well. But when you.
Speaker 15: Start playing well, you play well. And when you start doesn't play well.
Speaker 5: You don't. You know, you don't, you don't look good.
Speaker 15: It's sort of a little of both, right, they feed off of each other, you know. But I don't.
Speaker 5: Know what game. It was one of the games recently.
Speaker 15: And I think it was the last home game before the Southern Utah game.
Speaker 5: And I looked up on the board.
Speaker 15: Of a sudden, he had twenty points. I'm like, when did that happen? Right, So he's got to Caleb the key.
Speaker 5: He's a key, not the key, but he's a key. And if he's launching threes and he's not making three's, well, then their.
Speaker 15: Offense s butters it does, and so yeah, I mean he you know he Look when you have.
Speaker 5: An All America on your team and if he's not having a good season, that that hurts your entire team. And I'm not saying he's not having a good season. I'm just saying he's not. He's not had He's had some bad games. And when you when your star has bad games, it's tough to be really good.
Speaker 6: They're trying to be nice.
Speaker 2: Today, which makes no sense to me. Someone he's having a bad season. It's not there's no mincing words with that. He's not doing well.
Speaker 4: He's already looking at the next year. Next year's football team is ready to go.
Speaker 5: Right now.
Speaker 6: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: My whole thing is Arizona's never really played well under a slow it down defense, slow down defense, slow down team. UCLA is notorious for that. Ben said they're kind of going away from that, which I think that's pretty good for Arizona's sake because they can get into transition teams haven't allowed that. And if it gets to seventy five, I think Arizona wins it if it gets the seventy UCLA winsor.
Speaker 15: Yeah, here's the thing, and what I what I.
Speaker 5: Feel like I see offensively, that got.
Speaker 6: A minute because we'll go to break and go back.
Speaker 5: I feel like they're just not sure of themselves offensively. Yeah, where do you go for movement?
Speaker 15: For shots, for stuff?
Speaker 5: And I think a big, big piece of this has been that that previous was not.
Speaker 15: Around to practice and stuff in the preseason.
Speaker 5: And that he's really just kind of getting a seat under him right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree with that's that's one of the things among a few of.
Speaker 6: Them, Okay, among a bunch.
Speaker 2: Right, So okay, well take a break to come back and get your fantastic.
Speaker 6: Picks for this.
Speaker 5: I can hardly wait.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 16: Hi, this is formal while get Leman huntly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 3: In your life.
Speaker 16: We off a complete line of caudio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmart.
Speaker 4: Arizona Health the lean to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 17: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling at home, Daniel Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the UXes and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back Toining the Ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Tim Bentley, and we got one on the helm here. No we have jigins ALUs with his picks. Just were listening to the press conference with the new offensive Cordner. Pretty impressive, right, it looks like, what does that mean? Pretty impressive?
Speaker 7: You know, we're listening to Tim talk and he's talking about playing free, playing fast, getting kids out in the open field. I mean, so he's making a pitch not only to Noah to say, hey, we're going to use your talents, but he's he's talking to the kids that are in the portal and maybe thinking about making a switch.
Speaker 6: He looks like he's about twenty two years old.
Speaker 4: He does he just graduated college, and we're very proud.
Speaker 15: Of its first job out of college.
Speaker 4: We're very proud.
Speaker 5: But but you know what, Steve, that that I mean, that's that's what gets players of today excited. Like, I'm really interested to see how this Bill Belichick thing is gonna is going to sell for North Carolina, right, you know.
Speaker 15: And if he's going to run it like an NFL franchise.
Speaker 5: Where he doesn't have to be in the living room with a kid convincing him to come to play at North Carolina, then he may do just fine.
Speaker 15: But if kids still want to have.
Speaker 5: A head coach that they feel like they can relate to, that's going to be tough.
Speaker 4: I think kids do.
Speaker 7: I think parents and kids want that connection to the coach, even though it's a business and they're getting paid every year. I think parents and kids they still want that relationship. They want to know that the coach cares about him. That parents want to know that you're going to take care of my kid when I'm not there.
Speaker 6: But he's Bill Belichick, Guys, he is Bill Belichick.
Speaker 15: But okay, but Steve, how many of these kids.
Speaker 5: Were playing now really know a lot about Bill Belichick?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Well, I think, to be fair, I think at least more than sixty percent.
Speaker 6: You know, they know, you know his history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know a little bit more about his girlfriend.
Speaker 5: Or then yeah, they probably hang out with his girlfriend.
Speaker 6: Well, we'll be doing the same thing at the front house.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 2: He's the dangerfield going back to school to school to school. Okay, let's let's go. Do I go first?
Speaker 7: Wait a minute, there's gonna be some hurt feelings here. I want to make sure that one we need a good space here.
Speaker 5: Is this going to be hell?
Speaker 15: No, you know what if you guys, if you guys want to crap all over my pic, feel free, he's shake.
Speaker 3: I gotta I got a group. I gotta back these up somehow.
Speaker 7: And Jay did say that I could go and have take dinner when he wins, and and so I'm rooting for him too.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 15: You're coming with us right then?
Speaker 4: Right then?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, man, okay, let me let me that's where we went the first time. So obviously I'm gonna go all pro. I'm not gonna go anything college. You by be going college? Uh, but my first one is going to be Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: Minus five five?
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you to the Titans.
Speaker 5: Against the Titans.
Speaker 15: Okay, well, then since you said that, I'll go.
Speaker 5: I'm doing that one as well.
Speaker 6: Because there's so many games, you and I might have some duplicates.
Speaker 15: Man, the pickings were slim, Steve, I know if you thought so, but I thought though.
Speaker 6: You did some of them right, pretty easy.
Speaker 2: So so we're both at Cincinnati, right, Okay, So then my next one is going to be the Los Angeles Chargers.
Speaker 5: Okay. I just don't want to make those guys, I really don't. And then the Buccaneers kissed me off because I will I should have taken them last week and I didn't, and and they're really I don't know. I don't even know what to think on that one. I looked at the Charge and I thought just way too much uncertainty.
Speaker 15: Just that Justin Herberts.
Speaker 5: Doesn't win games right at the end, but they need to win games.
Speaker 2: So I've seen enough of Justin Spears hate or his you know, his photo, a bit of misery this year or.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. All right, Well I'll give you my college game. And I don't know why I'm doing this because I never get this game, right, I right, picket. But I'm gonna take army. I'm gonna take army and give the six and a half. Yeah, there it is. It's over for them. I'm just gonna take it, largely because I'm gonna watch it, so I might as well have something on it. That's really the only reason I've never there's a there's a handful of games that I never get right. This is one of them. Ohio State Michigan is another one which I missed again this year. Back from Florida State was good. Florida Florida's I mean, uh, Florida State Miami. They used to play that first game of the year. I would always get that one wrong. In Texas, Oklahoma, I would always get that one wrong. So this is one of those. And so but I'm gonna take it because I want to watch it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I might think about I'm gonna can I let me pick my luck later because I'm gonna go back.
Speaker 6: I might go back to a game. Okay, put that Charger game as a lock.
Speaker 2: So so the Eagles, Eagles the Steelers, Steelers five and a half.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna take the Phillies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a tough game for me because I've done well with both of those teams. I looked at that game, and I thought that would be like, you know, having my two kids fight and having to root for one of them. So I decided not to. I just stayed away from that game. Instead. I went over to the Vikings, who are playing Monday night against the Bears. Giving six and a half to the Bears. Yeah, at home that game at seven, I probably don't go on it, but six, and I like six and a half as a number, So I'm going to take the Viking.
Speaker 2: That's a good bet. I didn't even see. I didn't go that far in my list because I already had my five.
Speaker 5: I think. I think the Bears are just bad. And I.
Speaker 7: Went to Minnesota game early on and they play so fast, and that's in that in the stadium, and it's.
Speaker 4: Just so it's Chicago's gonna get overwhelmed.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I've hit with them a couple of times over the last last few weeks, and I've been very happy with them.
Speaker 6: I should if I were a swarm man.
Speaker 5: I changed that to.
Speaker 2: So this is this is kind of my my suspect pitch pick of the week. I'm gonna go with Green Bay minus two and a half at Seattle, and I don't even know what I think, just Green Bay Packers have done well in this situation.
Speaker 6: So I'm going with Green Bay.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that's my kind of like what am I thinking pick?
Speaker 4: That's the Sunday night game. It's going to be raining, it's gonna you know, it's like last Night's gonna be like six field, you know, no touchdowns.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, uh, this is my lock and the game. Oh and the game we both have to pick is the Bills and the Lions. So for everybody to know that, I'm taking the Broncos and I'm gonna lock the Broncos to give you four and a half. They've been good to me recently. They're they're giving four and a half to the Cults are in Denver. The Cults are an indoor team playing in Denver in December. And so that's that's kind of my logic there. And I'm gonna lock that one giving four.
Speaker 6: One just fill off his chair.
Speaker 4: One just gave a fist bump. I don't know what.
Speaker 2: He's picking them not against him one. Yeah, and you're okay with that. I'm very much okay with that. Because you're a Colt guy. Because I'm a Bronco guy. Oh and you're you're he's picking on your side. He doesn't do well.
Speaker 5: With that one.
Speaker 15: I'm not the kiss of death anymore.
Speaker 5: I haven't been the kiss of death as much this year.
Speaker 3: I'm saying yes because I'm gonna be doubling. That was my pick. Broncos win. They're in the playoffs. Yeah, it's been the first time since Manning, so all of a sudden, everybody's against me. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 15: That baby, let's go.
Speaker 6: He's he's a really weird bet.
Speaker 5: All right, man, Lions and Lions and Steve, what are you doing?
Speaker 6: I'm going to go. I'm going to go with Buffalo.
Speaker 2: They need the game to stay close to Kansas City more more so than Detroit does.
Speaker 6: So I'm gonna go with Buffalo. Uh. In in a game.
Speaker 2: Here, Buffalo Detroit hasn't lost in a while, right, Like, yeah, so I'm gonna pick this one Buffalo.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, I'm down taking the Lions. Uh. You know, with the with a line under three for the most part is who wins the game? Uh? And the lines are home and you know.
Speaker 15: Bill, this game is in Buffalo.
Speaker 5: I'm taking Buffalo, So I mean, I think it's a it's a it's a coin flip. You know, the lines have not covered. They've won, you know, the last few times, but they haven't covered.
Speaker 3: I think that.
Speaker 5: I think they've not covered like three times, two or three times in a row now, and I and I've had them all those times. So to two games in a row that they've not covered. But and I had them most of those times. But you know, they won those games. So all they gotta do is win. To me, all they gotta do is I'm taking I'm taking the Lions.
Speaker 2: Okay, So my other lock, my other lock. I think I want to go with the Chargers over the Buccaneers.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, okay, so good.
Speaker 5: That's that's when I can just completely root against you because I don't I don't have anything on that game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, here's the time when you have to catch catch.
Speaker 15: Well, this is it, this is yeah, I'm gonna pick up that point.
Speaker 4: Your life, Jay, you got it.
Speaker 3: You really got to Manny.
Speaker 5: The funny thing is, I'm gonna pick up two. I'm gonna pick up two points on you this week.
Speaker 2: You you've done actually compared the last year fantastically. Well, he's already done two perfect weeks.
Speaker 6: There were other weeks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Now, let's just focus on the posit I've had two perfect weeks.
Speaker 4: The other weeks. We don't have to talk about two perfect.
Speaker 5: Weeks exactly, man, exactly five.
Speaker 3: Let's make it three.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's go, let's.
Speaker 15: Go, let's go one. Let's go Man, Broncos. Bronco's minus four.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's let's talk to people real quick. Jay, We're going to be at the casino next Thursday, right right, would love to tap and anybody come out and hang out with us over there.
Speaker 15: It's been a lot of fun I have.
Speaker 5: We've had a good time out there. Some people have come out to hang with us and it's been cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and get them on the show. I'm not sure we're gonna try to I'll say this publicly. Uh, you're gonna maybe try to make it more on the show on Thursdays every now and again more often.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, I'm gonna yeah, I'm gonna try and come on the show, you know, once a week. It depends on my work schedule. It's kind of all over the board right now. But I'd love you know, I'd love to come and spend you know, a show with you, you know, every week, And you know, I don't. I can't make the commitment to do any more than that. But if we can, we can do it. We can do it, and I'd love to do it. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: They have better Jay since you've been gone. There's better snacks, there's more drinks over here in the station, you know.
Speaker 5: And there's no and there's nobody, nobody hanging out as a qt with machete like.
Speaker 15: We had the other.
Speaker 4: It's got i mean, some peanuts right now.
Speaker 5: It's great, Yeah, Tim, that's I mean, that is an absolutely true story. I got in line. I was buying my hostess, my hostess pie with a soda, and I look and I'm in line and I did wasn't paying attention, and I look up and the guy's got a backpack. He's got a machete tucked in there, and I'm like, holy crap, what.
Speaker 6: Am I doing here? That's the reason why he's left.
Speaker 15: Yeah, this is a too dangerous man's way dangerous.
Speaker 5: So we talked about this, but yeah, yeah, Casino on Thursday. It's a monthly show over there. Uh, we'll be you know, we'll be getting ready for an NFL game.
Speaker 15: I think there'll be some Bowl games by that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that Thursday, trying to get to a couple of the great guests that to come down to to be with this.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, So it's fun if you had a chance to come on down just just to hang out. I mean, I mean, it's like the greatest man cave ever.
Speaker 15: So let me ask you.
Speaker 6: Before you leave, because you've got to go. Uh uh, Tomorrow's prediction.
Speaker 3: Who's gonna win?
Speaker 5: You know, Steve, Because I'm an Arizona fan, and bad things always happen in Arizona fans. I think I think wins the game.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's how I'm I think that's how I think.
Speaker 15: I think it's close. But Arizona's just not playing.
Speaker 5: Very well that I think that you got to figure themselves out, and I think that there's still a ways away from doing that. And uh and I think, you know, UCLA is a good team, but I haven't seen USL A one time this year. I'm just basing this on what I've seen of Arizona, that that they're still piecing themselves together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe they find like lightning in the bottle and see what happens.
Speaker 5: Right right, and maybe it'll maybe you know, there's a switch to get slipped and it comes together tomorrow. And I wouldn't be surprised me. I wouldn't be surprised if Arizona one. But just you know, Arizona fan just tends to always look on the dark side.
Speaker 15: Well, it is in attempt, I mean it is.
Speaker 4: I mean for for you know, for forty years.
Speaker 7: I mean it's you know, the tastes of greatness, but then there's the dark years, right, yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, and anytime good things happen, bad things are right around the corner. And you said that that's what happened with football.
Speaker 7: Is there as Arizona fans, you know, we're wary, we're looking for the dark sound on the other side of this thing.
Speaker 5: Well, and I talked about it all summer with football, all summer long. You talked about bad season that always comes after the good season. Yep, that's what exactly what we got.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you or for your commentary.
Speaker 4: Two perfect weeks.
Speaker 15: You had two perfect weeks. We'll talk to you.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you next week. I'll see you next week at a game. And then and then Thursday.
Speaker 15: All right, thanks, thanks for having I appreciated.
Speaker 2: Okay, we have time, about fifteen seconds. Oh, perfect time, thanks to him.
Speaker 5: See you.
Speaker 4: Good weekend.
Speaker 2: Maybe not next Friday one. We'll talk to you next week. Are you will talk for me? Because the next week's a week I'll be really okay. Thanks everybody this