Speaker 1: We were not broken men. We were betrayed, overcome by cruel odds, but undismayed. Out of the fog of treachery, we came in regiments and companies, or one by one. We stood half dazed, then look upon the sea, and in the glory of the setting sun, amongst those rosy clouds, beyond the foam, we dreamed that we could see the shores of home. That is Dunkirk nineteen forty by Dorothy Emily Stevenson. And that is a somber poem for a somber movie, and some might say a somber podcast. Ashley, this might be the most unique of all of Christopher Nolan's movies, Dunkirk twenty seventeen, not Dunkirk nineteen forty, when actually Dunkirk happened, but Dunkirk twenty seventeen. A lot of people described this as the most documentarian of Christopher Nolan's films, Like the events just sort of happened, they don't. There's not a lot of narrative flair here. There's just sort of is we are sort of filming events, and we are letting you experience them however you like to experience them, which we said in some of our previous Nolan Club episodes was sort of the weakness of previous episodes when Nolan is trying to show you how to feel or tell you how to feel instead of show you how to feel. Let me ask you, do you think he was successful with this movie, Like I mean with that tone of just like you know, just sort of doing a narrative documentary.
Speaker 2: The irony being that the movie that we saw previous to this from him being Interstellar, actually opens with real documentary.
Speaker 1: Footage from Ken Burns and.
Speaker 2: Somehow does impact nearly the impact of Dunkirk. I do think that is a key to why this is incredibly effective, because we are watching these characters go through these emotions, and so for me, at least, my emotional residence with with the story is sympathetic to them as opposed to because I'm being told that love is the answer, even though love is always the answer.
Speaker 1: Of course, yeah, there's no love is the answer in Dunkirk. It seems it seems like the only answer of Dunkirk is don't get in the damn boat. Yeah, stay out of the water. Like I feel bad for I'm not gonna remember the main actor's name here, white finn Whiteheads whose character's name is Tommy, who I don't even know if you hear Tommy the.
Speaker 2: Entire I don't think most of these characters we hear their names.
Speaker 1: Yes, except for like Barry Keegan. Yeah, I feel like watching him the entire movie is just it could almost sort of be a comedy of errors, where like every time you think he's going to get away from Dunkirk, he fails.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you, I don't even really like this main character.
Speaker 1: And of Tommy that we didn't know was named Tommy, yeh, yeah, yeah, I don't know Tommy the player who plays pinball.
Speaker 2: No, he sure pays plays a median pinball. I don't even feel any particular gratitude that this character survives the film. Yeah, spoilers for a nine year old movie, But I do think that that is a strength of the film is they don't tell you, They do not editorialize at any point, and people behave nobly, and they behave very poorly throughout, and at no point are you being told that you have to feel good because this person has survived, or you have to feel bad because this person hasn't survived. And it's really a fifty to fifty. There's even a character at the end of the film that, as you said when we were watching it, you have to assume is a pow if he survives at all, Yes, and you know, and that's you know, a harrowing thing to be confronted with.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting for Dunkirk. For me, it's one of these things where I think, like the best war movies, it doesn't try to be like war is bad or war is great. Yeah, is wrong on both ends, of course. It more is just trying to put the POV in the people that were there, and just trying to get you to experience and think how terrible it would have been if you were one of those people there and that situation that because you know, it always is that the war is hell. Yeah, no matter which way you put it, war as hell.
Speaker 2: And it's either that or it's the glory of battle, right, That's.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying. Is war so great that we are the good guys and there is there are no good guys in war. There are no bad guys in war. It's wars hell. Yeah, It's kind of a terrible event that should never happen, no matter what we do, but it just seems to keep happening. And what also seems to keep happening is our podcast We Won't Die.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Welcome the Geek History Lesson.
Speaker 2: I'm Jason, as we brought out towards six hundred episodes, I'm Ashley Victoria Robinson. Welcome to your Mind University because you have stumbled onto the podcast where a TV writer from Kansas and a comic book writer from Canada deep dive into the big questions of pop culture. And welcome because you've come to a podcast within a podcast, because this is Nolan Club, where we are celebrating and exploring the works of Christopher Nolan in order leading up to the release this summer of the Odyssey, and we have finally come to I would say one of the more longer awaited installments in Nolan Club. Done Kirk. So, if anyway, if you're listening to Geek History Lesson extra, you know this, And if you're not, then I mean, what are you doing with your life? Hell?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly guy? Screw you?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Hell with you? Is what I said.
Speaker 2: It's over on our Patriots Support podcast.
Speaker 1: That's that's why you're not coming over there. It's fine. I understand everybody. Look not everybody isn't a great economic status right now, just like World War Two. It's fine, but over there. Well with you, we have been doing.
Speaker 2: Jason and I periodically check in and we rank Christopher Nolan's.
Speaker 1: Movies as we're.
Speaker 2: Series, and we bully our guests who come onto the extra to do that as well.
Speaker 1: It's been really.
Speaker 2: Fun and I have consistently with Dunkirk in my top three, and you have scoff set me multiple times. So for me, this is a long awaited revisit because I was interested to see if if it would hold up as well as I've only seen it once before when we originally saw the film, and I think and I was interested to see what your opinion is. So for me, this has been long awaited in sort of our Lore of Nolan club, I'm excited to talk about this today.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's top into our real brief tencent origin of Dunkirk from twenty seventeen by Christopher Nolan. But before we can give that, well, we have to get a ten cent origin on Operation Dynamo, which is the Dunkirk evacuation from because this is based on a real event, so from May twenty six to July fourth in nineteen forty in Dunkirk, France, right on the English Channel. More than three hundred and thirty eight thousand Allied soldiers were evacuated during the Second World War in the north of France. Basically large numbers of Belgium, British and French troops were cut off and surrounded by German troops during the six week Battle of France. Interesting enough, many people considered this to be the greatest blunder that Adolf Hitler committed in the entirety of World War II, because the Halt order on May twenty third was issued by Gerd van Rundstalt, who was a commander of Army Group A, and he was the one that decided to stop the German armies from a completely obliterating the British, French and Belgium troops and just basically let the Luftwaffe the Air Force, to you know, pick them off like birds. And this allowed the British to hastily assemble a fleet of over eight hundred vessels and rescue the troops, basically becoming the miracle of Again. Historians consider this to be one of Adolf Hitler's greatest mistakes. And some people think that if the Germans had just marched on through Germany would have actually land invaded the land of Britain because they never got there. Yeah, yeah, they you know, they blitz creaked him like crazy. But people think Germany would have actually landed troops on English soil and possibly.
Speaker 2: I mean, the channel is not that big, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: You can almost see it. They say that many times during the movie.
Speaker 2: People have swam across it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So I mean, don't do that. What a stupid thing. Don't swaw a crossing the ship. Well, I actually think it's one of the brilliant lines in the movie that they keep repeating. Like Kenneth Brown, I think starts it off where they say, you like you can almost see how you almost see home? But so that is the real miracle of Dunkirk now. The film of Dunkirk directed by Christin Nolan, written by christ Nolan, produced by Emma Tom Thomas his wife, starring Fione Whitehead, Tom Fin white Head, Fin Whitehead, Tim Glon, Karney, Jack Loud and Harry Styles, Anerwin Barnard, James Darcy, Barry Keegan, Kenneth bron A Killian Murphy, Mark Rylance Inane, Tom Hardy himself, cinematography by Hoyt van Hoytema again and music by Hans Zimmer. This had a budget of one hundred million and had a box up as a five hundred and forty nine million was considered to be the highest grossing World War Two movie of all time. Intel Oppenheimer made a billion.
Speaker 2: Dollars barely a World War Two movie, barely Oh by Bye, by proximity circumstance only so.
Speaker 1: The idea of this film came to Christer Nolan in the nineties when he sailed across the English Channel following this route Oh Wow with his wife Emma Thomas. He actually considered improvising the entire film and just like seeing what would happen, and then Emma Thomas, luckily is a good produceranism you need a script. The script of this was seventy six pages, half the length of Christ nolancause you gotta realize most Christ Nolan films are three hours long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this movie I actually thought was in the three hour club. And then we paused it at one point and it was like, oh, this is a reasonable l length film.
Speaker 1: Like most of Nolan's films that is told from three perspectives. We have the Land, which takes place over the entire one week of the miracle Dunkirk. We have c which is one day of action, and then we have the Air, which is one hour. Yeah. Now I think the Air is stretched a little bit. I think it's longer than an hour, although they keep looking back to his watch. I just don't think I believe that everything of all that, all those events take place in one hour. But you know, hey, whatever. But Nolan basically wanted to structure the film completely from the pov of the characters, and decided to base it on no real soldiers that participated in the event, and to also cast a majority of young and at that time young and upcoming British actors so that nobody would sort of steal the spot, like like in in a list actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he said, let me cast Harry Styles. Yeah, yeah, no one's gonna notice Harry Styles.
Speaker 1: And then well there was one of Harry styles first acting roles though. Yeah. So again it's the other thing is like Dunkirk is England's Alamo, if that makes any sense to which is interesting. But you know, this is gonna be a difficult one to talk about, I think, because this is so documentary, like it is so much in you know. I mean, we begin the movie with Tommy Again, I did not know his name was Tommy.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they say it one time and one time only, trying.
Speaker 1: To wander around the streets because he just wants to take a poop. He needs to take a poop.
Speaker 2: Well, he's with his homies and they're getting shot at and they run and then he kind of comes upon the beach. I mean, he's the only one who survives well.
Speaker 1: And he comes upon Now this character's named Gibson who's burying a body. Yeah, and Gibson's sort of also shell shocked as well, and they're sort of walking around and things like that, and they sort of like bond and they're all trying to figure out a way to get off of Dunkirk because of basically the evacuation. There's these giant lines. You know, he is to think about, what do you think about World War two movies always having scenes on the beach, you know, like because you're the most famous scene of Samon Priory Ryan is also a beach. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean when you're dealing with France in Italy. A lot of it is coastal, right. My grandfather was involved in World War two and he was involved in the most Canadian famous Canadian battle on a beach, which is Juno Beach. I think it's just a matter of geography really. Then I think it's nice and easy to shoot on because now they're just beaches. Now you just go to France and you can just hang out on these beaches and it's kind of wild.
Speaker 1: Also, I think you did shoot this actually on the beach evacuation happened. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also think from a narrative perspective, when you bring water into a situation, you add a physical level of discomfort that we can all relate to. We all know what it's like to have wet shoes, we all know what it's like to have wet pants, we all know what it's like for the wind to be blowing, for it to be cool. It adds a physical level of discomfort that your audience can understand in a way that most audience members can't understand what it's like to go to war. So I think from a film perspective, I think it's clever.
Speaker 1: Actually, do you think the three narrative storylines work in this movie because they rarely intersect. They the ones that intersect, or is basically the air in the sea like the land, only intersects at the very very end of the movie.
Speaker 2: Are arguably because we see Killian Murphy.
Speaker 1: In the like see him. We do see him in the lane. We see him. Do you see him in the land?
Speaker 2: Yeah, very briefly, I hear you. I like them, and I like that their timeline sort of don't converge too obviously. I think a lesser director would have all of would have like these three men, you.
Speaker 1: Would put their thumb on the scale and be like look, look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they would all like you would have Killian Murphy, Finn Whitehead and Tom Hardy like embrace and weep in each other's arm.
Speaker 1: Doesn't care if you don't put it together.
Speaker 2: No, and you don't need it. And I think it's quite clear from like maybe the second or third time we switch that were not all in the same timeline, but we are rushing toward some sort of logger like I don't I don't think it's particularly I don't think it's meant to be a huge obfuscation from the audience I do find it effective. I do want to shout out in the land storyline, when Gibson and Tommy are first trying to get on a boat and they take a corpse and they're trying to fake their way on, they're stopped by a warrant officer who was played by Bridgerton's own bisexual disaster Luke Thompson.
Speaker 1: And as we watched it, I was like, Hey, that's.
Speaker 2: Benedict from Bridgerton. So you'd made that comment earlier that it was sort of all these up and coming actors, and now that it's been nine years and a lot of them have up and came, I was like, Oh, I recognize him. Oh I recognized Jack Loaden. I recognize all these people that I didn't recognize when we were initially watching it playing these kind of like minimal parts in the film as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also recognize that we have to take a quick commercial break and we're going to be right back talking about your favorite World War Two buddies right for this GHL, we're back talking about Nolan's heroes. The Lovable movie, where so many Allied soldiers behind enemy lines in nineteen forty are trying to get to Britain.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Remember remember when they dug the hole in the scene and I cannot believe that they dug the hole. They went under the fence and then they came up right into Colonel Clink's office. Can you believe at all?
Speaker 2: Literally, no idea what you were doing? Right?
Speaker 1: The Hogan's Heroes references. All the fifty year olds love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've definitely seen an episode of that. I've never seen Hogan's Heroes for a single second of my entire life.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a show that would not be made now at all.
Speaker 2: It's about, yeah, where the Nazis are like the goofy bad guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well it's it's about a bunch of Americans in a pow camp and they keep escaping through hijinks, right through hygiens yep, and they keep getting caught and Colonel Clink is just like, oh, hol again, you did it again.
Speaker 2: You know, we all work through our trauma in different ways.
Speaker 1: And yeah, any ran for several seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's not as much digging of holes, and there's more like getting on enough boats in Dune.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of Another alternate title of this movie is Karen back again. You can't get on a boat. Yeah, yeah, the unnamed Tommy keeps getting in a boat. We also got to talk about what is the name of Tom Hardy's Again, I don't know the names of any Farrier. We do.
Speaker 2: Hear his name his his brother, Pilot Collins toward the end is like get him Ferrier, get them, So his name is Ferrier.
Speaker 1: So Ferrier. Tom Hardy shows up as one of the airplane pilot, the Spitfire pilots, because you know, he did some amazing forehead and eye acting in the Dark Knight Rises, so Nolan brought him back to do the same thing again in Dunk.
Speaker 2: You pointed out something really interesting when we were watching this that these characters who are you know, the these the World War One flying aces and and and the guys who are doing these jobs and for the RAF and stuff. Even the LUFTWAFFA planes are very new at this They are I think you said, they're basically driving cars in the sky. They are up there on a literal wing and a prayer. They're doing all the.
Speaker 1: Small planes have only been in existence for about twenty two years at this point. Yeah, So to put that into reality, that is almost the amount of time that well a little bit longer now, Yeah, that people have the general populace have been dealing with email. Yeah at this point. Yeah, that's how new planes are in this movie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I thought that that was a really brilliant observation because obviously, and this would have been true at the time, of course, but for the sake of the film, like these are the guys at the top of their game, which is why spoiler alert, they both survive at least to the end of the movie and ultimately achieve their goals. And it's why I think these two characters are the easiest to root for other than Mark Ray Lansen Coo sort of the most uncomplicated because everything that they're that they do is purely is pure heroism.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the I think the most brilliant pieces of writing that happens in this movie, yeah, is with the Tom Hardy storyline, because in the other two storylines on the land, we keep seeing Tommy. He gets on one boat, it sinks, he gets on another boat, it sinks, he gets on another boat, it sinks. Yeah, he can't get away. And then the Mark Rylance, who is the civilian mister Dawson. Yeah, so he's one of the civilians that been you know, and you know he is traveling to Dunkirk, and most of his storyline is just getting to Dunkirk. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Beautifully shot and really love all those scenes on the boat.
Speaker 1: And both storylines. There is not a classic film ticking clock, but for Tom Hardy there is. There is because his fuel gage is broken, and so about every fifteen minutes he is saying, what's your feel, what's your feel? And he's like, I'm down to this, I'm down to fifteen gallons. I'm down to fourteen gallons. And you see Tom Hardy literally writing down the ticking clock, so that there is sort of this tension of like, oh crap, when is Tom Hardy gonna run out of fuel?
Speaker 2: You also get the moment because Collins one of there's I think there's two other guys with him. Initially one of them gets shot down right off the bat and then it's Ferrier and Collins for a while. Collins winds up ditching into.
Speaker 1: The ocean and Tom Hardy thinks he's dead, and.
Speaker 2: Tom Hardy thinks he's dead, and then Tom Hardy there's a moment a couple scenes after that where you watch him and no one says it. It's all in the acting. It's really all in the eyes. You watch his character Ferrier make the decision like I either turn back or I'm landing on the beach and it is what it is, or I'm ditching right outside the beach, and it is like you watch him have that swell of heroism.
Speaker 1: It's a brilliant piece of eye acting because he sees a bomber, a German bomber in his rear view mirror. Yeah, and it is the idea because I assume what I assume it is is I assume he is heading back towards England. Yes, and so he sees the German bomber behind him and then yeah, you see him sort of do the struggle and then he turns the plane around. Yeah. And it is one of those things where like if he turns the plane around, he screwed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because even if he lands, he is you know, as you said, he's probably gonna get picked up if he lands. First of all, if he lands successfully, and they make a bit of a meal out of the landing sequence. Although I find it very beautiful and very emotional, but yeah, it's it's one of the only moments of pure heroism that we really get in the whole This movie does a really good job at being like, there's no good guys and there's no bad guys, but it's a really brave thing.
Speaker 1: Well again, it's one of the This is why this is such a hard movie to talk about, because it's just there. There's not a lot of meat in these characters, and we don't really know about really any of the stuff that's happening any more than the soldiers do.
Speaker 2: Will you get the barest I think this is cleverly done too, where it's inserted. You get them barrass amount of exposition from James Darcy and Kenneth Brown at the two officers, and we only see them, i think in four seed five scenes in the whole film, and we cut to them every once in a while where it's like, well, why aren't why are we waiting on all these boats? Why isn't Churchill sending the full forces? And it gives us a little bit of like historical context as to why they're just sitting ducks here in the first place. And I think Nolan, compared to what we talked about, it Interstellar, where it is so overbloated.
Speaker 1: In the script.
Speaker 2: He shows such restraint in where he chooses and how he chooses to give us information throughout this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he intentionally said when writing this that he in sorry, I really badly messed up the same like just by Dunkirk, I messed up. I got blown up. He intentionally wrote as little dialogue as possible. Yeah, Hardy's do you know how many lines of dialogue Tom Hardy has in this movie?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Ten? Wow, he only has ten lines of dialogue. You think you get that.
Speaker 2: Script and you're like, Helly, I can memorize this in an hour.
Speaker 1: Well you tell me, actor, Like, I honestly think I can only think about like how many days he was probably sitting on that cockpit. Oh he would have been.
Speaker 2: This would have been a long shoot from Yes, I think.
Speaker 1: About Look left, Tom, look right, Tom. Yeah, look for Lauren.
Speaker 2: Tom, be concerned, Tom Hardy.
Speaker 1: You spotted something in your mirror.
Speaker 2: Considering he plays a bunch of thugs and tough guys, Tom Hardy is a very emotional actor and is very very good at emoting at us, it kind of reminds me it's interesting, this is much easier to do on stage, I think. But in the musical Hamilton, the King George character has nine minutes on stage in a three hour musical. Everyone knows that character. That character is iconic. You know, if you're good and then material you're given is there, you can do a little with a lot and uh, you know, to sort of, I guess drive to the point. This movie literally makes me weep. And a lot of it is Tom Hardy's like his from from the time he arrives and he runs out of fuel till the end of the film. A lot of it is on his character. I just I find it. I find it so like beautiful and so sad in he's performing.
Speaker 1: If there were two hero characters in this movie, yeah, I don't argue that there are. But if there were two characters in this movie, it's Kenneth Brown and Tom Hardy. Yes, in the in.
Speaker 2: The traditional uh these are the war hero senses because they also give Keneth Brown.
Speaker 1: And I like this moment.
Speaker 2: It's a touch sacrain for the rest of the film. But I like the moment at the end where he says to James Darcy, I'm gonna wait for the French because he's been quite callous up to that point, and we're trying to soften him a little bit, and Kenth Brown.
Speaker 1: Is so good. The only moment of the movie that seems rightly to me it is it is definitely you and kind of betrays the spirit of like I think, what the rest of dunk Dunkirk If if there was any weakness, I would give that movie. It is that moment.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, then, counterpoint, because we talked about mister Dawson as played by Mark Rylance again in a film with Keneth browna arguably the two finest actors of their generation to the finest actors working.
Speaker 1: We haven't talked about the boys who are with him.
Speaker 2: Do you do you not find the moment where Peter goes to the town newspaper to write the obituary. You don't find that rightly?
Speaker 1: Well, let's a little a little flourish at the end. No, because I feel that set up. So let's let's talk about it escaping right today. Yeah, So we have Mark Rylance, he's a civilian Bodhist. His son is as Peter.
Speaker 2: He's played by Tom Glynn Carney, who you may recognize from being King Eggon and hou's the.
Speaker 1: Direct and then who who is Barry Keagan playing George? Okay, so George. So George is not Mark Rylance's son. He's just even know they have the same color hair. A friend, he's a guy. I think he works with them. Yeah, uncle boy. They have sort of been conscripted to go to Dunkirk, and so he takes off and then George comes with them, and we should talk about that. This is this is a very unique thing about Dunkirk. There are two stories of cowardice in this movie. So the biggest one is Tommy's entire storyline, the main guy that we're falling across the beach. He literally spends the entire movie just trying to get the hell away. He doesn't care who he betrays to do that. And then eventually he gets confronted with this idea of like, will you betray your morals?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Will you kill an innocent person to get away? Or and he says and he says no, He says no, he no, no, He fights. Harry Styles is the one that says yeah, but he doesn't stop them. But the problem is is that they get killed anyway because the boat gets fired. So that's beyond the point. But the one, the other one that is very harrowing is we basically want we see this point where we see Kelly and Murphy get fished out of the water. Yeah, and he is some sort of colonel. He's very shell shocked. Ye. And also like that he finds out that Mark Randlan and civilian boat's going back to Dunkirk, and he says, I turn around, I'm not going back. I'm not going back. In the course of not selling down, he pushes Barry Barry Keegan down the stairs.
Speaker 2: He doesn't even do it on purpose, He just sort of throws.
Speaker 1: Him off of he overreacts.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I just want in case anyone's not seen it, I don't want you to think he does not intentionally push this point.
Speaker 1: Now you haven't watch Dunkirk and you're listening to this podcast, what the hell you will do? People do watch Dunkirk. It's a great movie. God, I don't know how would you even know what the hell we're talking about. At this point, we've all done it. And Barry Keegan dies, Yeah, because at the back of his head open. Yeah, to the point where, like Harry Styles later gets on this boat and they're like leave George alone and he goes he's dead, mate, Yeah, so be careful. So when we first saw this in theaters, you asked me what I thought about, you know, because I'm a war veteran. Well yeah, a little, but like you, you did the thing, not like these boys.
Speaker 2: Look we're not it's apples and oranges. Yeah, but I mean, you know you and you are one of very few people I know who have done the thing. So I didn't know if you would have a different perspective on one on the stories of they're presented as stories of cowardice, even though like I'll say, this is my full chest, that would be me. Yep, I think that's most people. There's I didn't say that yet it may be like, yes, you would be. I'm sorry, No, no, I didn't take I didn't take it that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like agreeing with your point. You know. I've always heard the thing there that that everyone's a coward in a Foxhall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's no there's no atheist in a Foxhall.
Speaker 1: No atheist in a Foxhall. There's no cowards on a foxhall. Yeah. You know, people, your animal ins thinks take over and you do crazy things. I think that's the reason. That's where I like. I like the Tommy scene where they go into this trawler and they they're high, they're hiding and they're hoping high tied would carry her out. And then they find out that the guy that he saw on the beach was this Frenchman because they originally think he's a German spy and then he's a Frenchman. He does anything, Yeah, and then Tommy like defends him. Harry Styles is like ready to murder the guy. And then because they're making noise anyway, the Germans blow them full of bullets. So the ship's gonna sink anyway. Yeah, you know, it's it. There is if there is any sort of narrative thing in this, it is this idea where like there is a subtle, subconscious thing of Tommy's cowardice could be being punished because every obstacle that could get in Tommy's way gets in Tommy's way. I mean, he's on three different ships that sink, and you know there are a lot of ships that sank during Dunkirk. But there if there's any piece of this that, yeah, as a little might be subconscious, right, really, yeah, it might be that well, if you can.
Speaker 2: If you consider that in the opening sequence, he's running with his I don't know if it would be a squad or a platoon, or he's running with his squad.
Speaker 1: They all get mowed down.
Speaker 2: He does nothing, drops his gun to defend these his brothers, and you know, however you want to call his colleagues, how you want to think about it, he just runs. So, yeah, is is this his karma for that?
Speaker 1: Or is that too? Is that too hoity toity?
Speaker 2: And is it just like this is horrible and this is how everyone acts because it is so horrible because it's an impossible situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I you know, war as hell, Yeah I do. Mash.
Speaker 2: Mash really really nailed it.
Speaker 1: Mash did really nailize it. You know, we're gonna make the rest of this podcast episode about Mash, but we're gonna do that would be the first time right after this, GHL, we're back Nolan Club or we might be turning this into Mash club because oh, sad is painless. It brings on many change. All Right, again, this is a hard movie to talk about it It's hard.
Speaker 2: Look, it's hard when.
Speaker 1: This movie is a vibe.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, you described this as one of the biggest budget.
Speaker 1: Art films ever made.
Speaker 2: I think that's accurate, but I don't think it's It's not like French New Way, which I know drives you in particular a little mad. It's not it's not art for art's sake. It is driving at something. It is emotional, it is arresting and effective. I think the Killian Murphy Mark Rylance stuff is so effective because it's very sad that, like the character is played by Barry Keegan, George is like this boy from a small town who wasn't good at school, who works as a fisherman, whose dream is to one day do something good enough to be in the paper.
Speaker 1: He's like, it's he's.
Speaker 2: A small He's a small man with small dream. And I'm not saying that it's a bad way to live or anything like that, but that's how he's presented.
Speaker 1: To us as a character.
Speaker 2: He is, Yeah, I might be tall about him. And then and then Killian Murphy in his own grief, who is a colonel, kills him by accident five to seven. Well, he's okay, so that means he's five to five. Let's be real.
Speaker 1: Apparently a ways, approximately one hundred and fifty nine pounds.
Speaker 2: Sure, Jan, Look, I've met a lot of male actors whose IMDb says they're five to seven, and we see eye to eye, and I know how tall Ashley is anyway, and then Kelly Murphy's character accidentally kills him. And what's so brilliant about that is I feel bad for Barry Keegan and I feel bad for Killian Murphy's character because it's like it's it's it's hurt people, hurt people writ large, I think across the whole film, and I think that's why you can get away with the cool sideway shots of the fighter planes, like the Artier moments, because it has this emotional core at its center.
Speaker 1: Nolan said this, and I think he's absolutely right, and it's an interesting perspective where he said that he did not want this to be like other war films where you cut away to Churchill and other leaders in a war room. He only wanted to show the war from the perspective war. Another technique that he is is we do not technically see any Germans in this movie, except for the out of focused Germans that point rifles at Tom Hardy at the very end.
Speaker 2: I also appreciate that a lot of war films and I'm not saying this isn't true, but want to do the visceral body horror for the sake of it, and we don't get that here, even though we do get horrific injury and death throughout. I think Nolan is like too much of a class act to go down that route. And I don't find this any less harrowing than some of the films that do that.
Speaker 1: So you know, the one thing I will say about this is that, especially off of Interstellar, is that I'm glad that Nolan sort of took a breath of fresh air and kind of just like really stripped everything back, because I worry that if he had made Dark Knight Rises, then Interstellar, then Tenant. Yeah, I think maybe in director jail. I think he might be in director jail. But then also I think if we were going into like, you know, the same odyssey, I think I think you and I would be having a completely different conversation where I think, ah, you and I are still hopeful for it for sure, and I think we would. I think instead the conversation would be like we'd be like, oh boy, this is not gonna be good. This is gonna be good.
Speaker 2: Because because because one of the things that I hope he takes from Dunkirk forward into the Odyssey is this level of restraint. I think this film is an exercising restraint on on every level, which is why I think Tennant is an over correction back the other one.
Speaker 1: I said this to you where we were watching the movie, that I have a feeling that the battle scenes in the Odyssey are going to be very inspired by this. Yeah, I'm a feeling they're going to be very silent. I think they're going to be very visible.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Jason, it's another beach too.
Speaker 1: Yep. And I think I think he's just gonna let I think. I think all of the Trojan war scenes are gonna be like Dunkirk. I think he's just going to show you, like I think, I think no one is going to give us the experience, the actual real experience, which I haven't really felt in a lot of movies since like Braveheart. Yeah, where you're just in this mob of people and you're lucky if you can even figure out that the guy next to you is on you might as well just keep stabbing.
Speaker 2: I also wonder if he's gonna you criticize the selective use of silence in the Batman v.
Speaker 1: Baane fight. Uh huh, I do like it.
Speaker 2: I think it goes on for too long because we have another selective use of silence in There's quite a lengthy sequence where Tom Hardy's landing the plane on the beach and he has to manually pump down the landing gear, which I think is really a beautifully shot, really emotional moment where he is resigning himself to his fate.
Speaker 1: But he's so good at his job.
Speaker 2: He and he he has accomplished this with such a plumb he even lands perfectly with no fuel, and that whole sequence is done in complete silence, And I wonder if he's going to transpose that into some of the Trojan war sequences.
Speaker 1: A lot of this movie also was shot with natural light. There's very few scenes that actually have film lighting in this movie.
Speaker 2: I would love to know which scenes have film lading.
Speaker 1: Okay, I would imagine it's all the scenes inside the ship.
Speaker 2: Oh, where you would need a film later there would be you know what, I think you.
Speaker 1: Might have nailed that. Yeah. There's also no women in this entire world. There's a couple of there's no main women, main characters.
Speaker 2: Now, there's a couple of nurses who have about do life.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of ladies. You know, let's let's just get link. Is there is there an actor in this that stands out to you?
Speaker 2: I will say everyone is at the top of their game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would say I definitely have a pick for who I think is the worst actor in this. But that being said, I don't think they're particularly bad. I think best actor just for you, it's Mark Rylance. Mark Rylance gives such a real and grounded performance, and there's a couple real moments of empathy and emotion. He reveals that you see one of his sons throughout the film, and he reveals that he had another son who was in the First.
Speaker 1: World War who died no no, no.
Speaker 2: Who sorry, he was in the Second World War who died.
Speaker 1: He died in the first three months. That's right of war.
Speaker 2: And and it's it's just a he just it's not a very emotional performance, but you can feel the tidal wave of emotion that he's holding back when he says that I think Mark Rylance probably gives blow for blow the best performance in this film. I also think Tom Hardy it is just I think it's one of his best roles. I think he's like phenomenal in this Is there an actor for you who really stands out?
Speaker 1: I mean I think it's Mark Rylance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think there is a weak performance here. I really don't, because, like I don't don't think there are enough really scenes that there aren't really a lot of moments where it would allow a weak performance to show out.
Speaker 2: I just wish Tom Harry Styles knew that you don't have to yell all of your lines to that you're angry.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's interesting. I disagree with that completely. I think Harry Styles is just fine in this movie.
Speaker 2: I think he's fine, but I think he is not. He's not, but I think compared to every I think he is the worst actor in this movie. But I think compared to everyone else, I think he's the weakest one for sure. But I don't think he's bad. Yeah, but he spends a lot of time yelling everybody out there. If you want, you just shouts out there.
Speaker 1: If you go to our Patreon Patreon dot com slash Shahan and jw I I n we will record you know, we record these episodes way ahead of time, way on order and stuff like that. We're gonna be doing a live reaction to the new Odyssey trailer that Christopher Nolan has debut in the lay show. Now, if you're listening to this at Dunkirk's airtime, you're like, wait a minute, that trailer came out a month ago. Yeah, yeah, that's right. So you're gonna go back in the feed and you're gonna find that there's two GHL extras in a row. We gave you. We gave you a bonus, and if there's not a GHL extra this week, you can get over. It's fine. Yeah, but uh, we wanted to be timely. He wanted to be ahead of time. And there you go. So head on over there, get that, Go over to our exclusive discord, go over and listen to some bonus episodes and stuff like that, and get our live reaction on the Odyssey trailer. Ashley, beyond the film stuff, I just really, what what other lessons do you think he is taking from this movie on into the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: I think we're gonna see I think we're seeing a lot of how Odysseus is gonna be in this movie.
Speaker 1: We expand that a little bit. So this is a this is a.
Speaker 2: Jason emanphrase that I'm gonna steal.
Speaker 1: Okay know that you did this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well maybe, don't you know?
Speaker 1: Uh? Okay.
Speaker 2: Odysseus is the greatest war vet He's.
Speaker 1: The greatest war veteran. He's the most famous war veteran of all. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think looking at how these characters, like this is a movie of trauma. Everyone's trauma is relative, well, it's active, well even down to like Peter who is watching Lance's son, who watches his friend die in front of him as they are trying to save people's lives, right, Like, everyone is at a different point in their grief process. And I think we're going to see a lot of that transposed onto Odysseus specifically, but the other characters throughout the odyssey. I think the behavior of those characters is going to be closer to the characters in Dunkirk than in any of the other Nolan than like Arthur an Inception or Batman or whatever, even though all of Nolan's characters do carry a trauma. Again, he loves a dead wife, loves a dead wife or a dead girlfriend.
Speaker 1: How's he gonna get around that in the aud's no dead wife in the aut.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the dead husbands in the Yeah warm, Yeah, exactly that take that. Yeah, this is gonna be this real feminist term to.
Speaker 1: Get around that. Nolan, He's like, they all.
Speaker 2: Make it back. Fine. I think he's definitely going to take that. I think, like I said, I think he's gonna take the selective use of silence. I also think, and you and I have sort of touched on this in various theories add nauseum here in Nolan Club. But I think we're gonna get the criss crossy timelines. And I don't know if it's gonna be the one hour, one day, one week, but I think it's gonna be. I think it's gonna be not dissimilar to this.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think you're exactly right. I think the biggest thing is is that I have a feeling that the editing style of this movie, yeah, is the editing of the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: Like, if it's the exact thing, then the one hour will be the Telemachus storyline, the one day will be him washing up on Ithaca, and the one.
Speaker 1: Week will be his journey back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it'll be it'll be like some version of.
Speaker 1: That, and he will. Like in this movie, there's several points where we hop into the other storyline. Yeah, and sometimes just the way the editing is, you don't really realize that you have, yeah, like teke you a couple of character or like a piece.
Speaker 2: Of dialogue, lets you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no like subtitles being like ten am Tuesday, or.
Speaker 1: Even clear visual distinct like like shooting and collar versus black and white. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like like oh look now we're in the snowbass, so we're definitely one more level down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, an inception. All right, So really quickly before we get to our ratings here, I want to ask you Ashley that there's something you told me before this podcast is so you told me about how this movie sort of connected to a thing from Black Hawk down for you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, You're going to save this, yeah until after our messages and we'll be right back after this.
Speaker 1: GHL, We're back talking about No End Club. Dunkirk is here.
Speaker 2: Great soundtrack, by the way.
Speaker 1: Dunkirk might be the most like the Odyssey that we've ever predicted. Yeah. Actually, talking about other war movies, an old favorite of mine is Black Hawk down. It's a very movie that makes me very emotional. I think it's one of the best war movies ever made. And when after we watched this, actually you said that there was a piece of black Hawk down or it was a piece of Dunkirk that reminds me connected to back down somehow, and you said you were like, I will tell you on the podcast. Well, if you're on the podcast, time is now.
Speaker 2: The thing that Jason is not struggle with is we watch the films and then because we're yappers, I know, shockers, two people who have done a podcast for twelve years, we want to talk about it right away.
Speaker 1: M hmm.
Speaker 2: And I often have these thoughts that I'm like, i should just say this for the podcast so that I'm not repeating myself and you can have like a more authentic reaction to it. So, you know, as I was weeping in the last twenty minutes, So this film, I'm a real mark for any war movie because obviously my dad was an officer, you were a soldier. It makes me like real, it makes me real sad to think about those things happening to people that I care about, like you know, because I have basic human empathy, so I watched Black Hawk Down with you for the first time because I never I'd never seen it before. And the scene in Black.
Speaker 1: House also starring Tom Hardy, yeah, very.
Speaker 2: Young Darry also starring out of Prince Hector Abanas in this well and also Prince Paris because Orlando Bloom is in.
Speaker 1: That as well. Just to tie it all back to the odysty for you, uh uh.
Speaker 2: The scene that makes me cry and that is when the helicopter goes down. I know one of the one of the actors in that scene is Jamie Costerwaldo of Game of Thrones.
Speaker 1: Fame, and I'm Michael Bean I think.
Speaker 2: And one of the one of them is injured and so the other two guys decide to stay with him and then spoiler alert, they all die because that is what happens, because it's.
Speaker 1: Based on a real hohistorical event, just like just like Kirk exactly.
Speaker 2: And I just think it is I'm gonna get emotional talking about this. I just think it is like such a brave thing to do that for you know, your brother in arms or however you want to think about that.
Speaker 1: And do you feel the same about Tom Hardy?
Speaker 2: I like, it's why it makes me cry, and like watching him land on the beach and I'm just like, I could never do that, and I just think it is like this incredible. I think it's like such a beautiful act of bravery and humanity.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry that I'm getting emotion fun on it.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever like cried cry all the podcast before, but it just it just.
Speaker 1: Really gets to me.
Speaker 2: And I don't I don't know if that's because I know I couldn't do that and I would just be a coward. I don't know if that's like again my my personal relationship to people in the military, but like, I think it is just such like a beautiful, brave, unimaginable thing to do, to just be that selfless, and it's so beautifully filmed in this movie that like even though it's obviously like horrific and petrifying, and then you had the gall to be like and he's a probably doesn't survive. I was like, don't.
Speaker 1: Say that about I don't think I said he probably doesn't survive, Like he's definitely best. He's a p O W right, you know, best if they don't shoot him, that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, if they don't like, we don't see it because he's not a real person. But we don't see that in the film, right, We just see them kind of come up on it.
Speaker 1: More than likely he goes to war a prisoner of war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it just it really reminded me of that moment in Black Hawk Down because I just think it's like the bravest thing you and the most selfless thing that you can do in that circumstance. It just makes me really emotional. So sorry everyone to cry. You know, it's a thing where you know, but I think that speaks to why this is a great This is the only Christopher Nolan movie that makes me cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't seen The Odyssey yet. You're gonna make a ball.
Speaker 2: You know what, Bill Irwin deserves to make me cry, because that man is a genius. You know.
Speaker 1: If there's any if there's any movie that we've already talked about on Geekish Lesson, it should be this one. And thank you for being vulnerable and sharing me that moment and everybody emotions are great And don't make fun of Ashley or I'll come beat you up. But you know, the thing I think works about that is that you know. It's the thing I said to you we watched this movie, is that War two might be one of the last conflicts in our history where we actually thought there were good guys and bad guys, because the real answer is is that there are new good guys or bad guys in any war. Yeah, you said that at the beginning. Everybody is wrong. Yeah, because honestly, war is one of those stupidest things we could ever do.
Speaker 2: Ye, we don't need to solve our problems like that exactly.
Speaker 1: And it is that thing where you know, the Germans in those planes are just as good of guys as Tom Hardy. They are also people protecting their homewands.
Speaker 2: Doing the best that they can, trying to keep their families alive.
Speaker 1: It's also wipe, I'm wiping aside the Hitler stuff. We all know the Hitler was a pretty bad guy. But also you have to realize that, like on every side, there's always a soldier that is doing it to defend their home. So there were also German soldiers. And I also know as well that falling orders is not a defense. It has been proven in many war crimes. But anyways, I think the reason why the Tom Hardy moment connects with you is just because we want to assume that in wars, and we've seen this in moments of history time and time again, where that is a person putting the welfare of the group above themselves. It is where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Yeah, and it's rare when we see a person commit to that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It reminds me to bring up another great or movie of Desmond Doss in Hexa Rich Yeah, yeah, where you're like, what a perfect expression of.
Speaker 1: And and he did that without a weapon. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and that's a real event too.
Speaker 2: And I think that that is when we think of the idea that there is glory and heroism and war that I think that's what I think, that's what we're all imagining, Yeah, is being able to do something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so I'm glad that that moment really, it does, it does.
Speaker 2: It's a great actor in a great movie.
Speaker 1: Let's get to Yeah. The Nolan Club rating here of Dunkirk based on a scale of one to five, where would you put Dunkirks being the best one being the worst? I mean it's a five, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm we'll talk about this when we whenever we redo our rankings, probably probably during the last Nolan Club.
Speaker 1: This movie is not a fun movie, but.
Speaker 2: I think objectively, for me, this might be his best movie. Again, it draws the strongest emotional reaction from me, and that is sort of how I judge the quality of things. I think. I just think this movie's phenomenal from start to finish. Even when I think Harry Styles is yelling a bit too much, I can forgive it.
Speaker 1: I think it's so I think it's so interesting you focused on Harry Harry Styles because I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as you think.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's bad, but I think he's definitely the worst actor in this film. Jason, one out of five bregos. How many bregos are you giving? Dunkirk?
Speaker 1: So fun to say this has definitely gone up in my estimation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which is fair. And you're also your opinions are allowed to change.
Speaker 1: Yes, imagine that, Yes, in your appreciation of media and stuff like that. I think I think this is a solid four. I don't think it's a perfect movie.
Speaker 2: What keeps it from being a five for you? And you could not have an ant, sir, that's that's completely funny.
Speaker 1: The dryness of it. It is dry because it is specifically that it feels more like a documentary than a film. That is it. I think you know, and I here's the thing. I don't think Nolan is the director to do this. But if you take the same movie, the same plotlines, the same structure, give it a just like I talked about with The Bane and Batman Flight, give it a bit of dramatic flair, and I think you have a perfect five. I think you might have one of the greatest movies I've ever seen because you didn't do that. I think it's a four. He's not an emotional director. He's not. He is not. He is a technical, is a tactician, scientific director, and he's very good at it. And I and I it's it's it's the whole reason why I was like, we need to do Nolan Club because again, the Odyssey is still an odd choice for Christopher Nolan well.
Speaker 2: For numerous reasons. And don't worry, friends, we're brewing. We're ruting some honesty stuff that's not just the movie for you. First of all, the Odyssey is poetry, and the Odyssey and the Iliad Against and the Aenea are very very deeply emotional stories, deeply deeply deeply emotions.
Speaker 1: And they're fantasy, and fantasy is not you know again, like this is his I'm excited. I'm excited to see this is his strength. No, I remember, I remember because you know, when we can't even feel this in the podcast, like, you know, we talked about Darknight Rises and the problems, right, and we've talked about Interstellar the problems that we had with it, and and it is this thing where it's just like the technical parts of both of those movies are freaking amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those movies aren't bad movies, which is why I think we sort of feel frustration because we're like, you're so close to getting there.
Speaker 1: But the emotional moments are not quite Yeah. Yeah, yeah. And it's interesting because I remember walking away from this movie that theaters and thinking like, oh wow, if Christopher Nolan sort of just becomes I'm gonna tell stories about real people and in sort of my style, I'm in Because again, I think Dunkirk is a solid four movie. And I also say that, you know, because we have an upcoming one as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think Oppenheimer is a solid movie. I really think Oppenheimer's a solid movie, you know, so like it is, it's interesting where I wonder I'm very curious to know what he's going to do after the Odyssey. Like I'm wondering because like he's sort of I'm like, is he going to continue this trend where like, is the next movie after the Odyssey going to be a historical non fiction movie again? Because he's done that, He's done, He's a We've done Dunkirk Tennant Oppenheimer Odyssey. The Odyssey is not nonfiction. Oppenheimer is a noth Oh.
Speaker 2: Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry. Well, it'll be interested if he gets beaten over the head to do to the Iliad.
Speaker 1: I don't think he'll do it, Nolan. I here's my thing. I think The Dark Knight Rises has cured no one of ever doing a sequel. Ever.
Speaker 2: Again, he didn't technically a prequel. He didn't what the Iliad comes before the Odyssey.
Speaker 1: Oh. I was like, I thought you were saying the Dark Knight Rises. Oh no, no, no, no about yeah.
Speaker 2: Remember when Batman fought Made and he broke his.
Speaker 1: Back beforeman begins. No, I you know, like I think because he did not want to do The Dark I hear you, I hear I don't think. I don't think we'll ever catch Christoph Noland doing a sequel ever again.
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: So I'm very curious where I'm like, Okay, what is he going to announce a historical nons I hear you, Yeah, and what what and what probably said during World War Two? Again? You know, like what is his next World War two movie gonna be? Or is he finally going to move into the Korean War? You know? Or are we going to get the Christopher Nolan Vietnam movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, like what what is his you know? Well or what do you go for?
Speaker 2: The back? Like he's an Englishman, so yeah, somewhere in English history, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I don't know, you know, like here's the crazy thing. What would Christopher Nolan American Revolution movie look like? Or no thinking about this, no, Christopher Nolan, Okay, here's the thing, help me out with this event? Sure? What was the historical event where the Spanish Armada came over to England? Yeah? That had just been and they burn all the ships with Queen Elizabeth. Yeah, yes, I will imagine Christopher Nolan doing that.
Speaker 2: Imagine him doing the Battle Lagenore, which was supposed to be the final battle between England.
Speaker 1: And the Battle of Hayes. Theats the battle, Yeah, like is the ad? Is the honesty? Christopher Noland? Like buckling up for the Battle of Hastings.
Speaker 2: Honestly, he screw it. Just give him Henry the fourth, Henry the fifth, give him, give him the sat give me the same Chrispin's Day speech.
Speaker 1: Let's do it well.
Speaker 2: Do do the tutors and give me the big fat.
Speaker 1: Henry the eighth. I deserve. Okay, So here's the okay. Yeah, because okay, let's go down that route. Yeah. No. One has said in the past that sometimes he picks his movies as sort of testing grounds yeah for future movies. Like he specifically said that he waited on making Dunkirk because he felt that he had to make a big enough movie where he felt comfortable making a war movie.
Speaker 2: I think it's incredibly inteligent of him. Can you imagine if he tried to do this ten years earlier, well after Momento.
Speaker 1: He also said that because he was going to make Inception after a Momento crazy, And then he basically said that he was like I need to be a good enough director to make big movies. So let me ask you, this is the Odyssey his testing ground for another realist like a you're talking about a historical battleground movie. Yeah, that'd be neat you know, like, I don't know, I'm curious, like I would be interested in that if the Odyssey is great? Yeah, yeah, you know, he's proven to me, he's proven himself that he can do historical nonfiction really well. Like his style I think really works for that.
Speaker 2: I think so because it has to be a little dry and a little removed.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, I don't know. Interesting. Yeah, all right, everybody. If you're also interested in more, you can listen to this podcast on Spotify and Apple Podcasts and all those places. Actually, where can they find us on social media?
Speaker 2: You can find us all over socials at geek history lesson.
Speaker 1: Actually, where can they find you on social media?
Speaker 2: You find me everywhere at Ashley V. Robinson, Jason. Where can we find you on the socials?
Speaker 1: I'm at John and JW. I in when I decided to post, and now it's time for what have we learned today? Well, folks, we've learned that if you're going to get on a boat and be saved by a war. Make sure it's piloted by Mark Rylance. Yeah, exactly, trust in Mark Rylance. And if you're going to have a plane be flown around, make sure it's flown by Tom Hardy. Yeah, especially if he's wearing a mask, because definitely, if there's one person in charge of that plane, it's burned.
Speaker 2: He crashed a plane and then he flew one with great skill.
Speaker 1: He redeemed himself. Yeah, rash that plane into Ireland and then he and then he made sure he landed it perfectly in France, Ireland.
Speaker 2: Astan Kack I think it was his Becka's name, but it's definitely the Irish Shells.
Speaker 1: No better pilot than bird. Thank you all for listening to this very somber episode and lovely episode of Dunkirk g h L.
Speaker 2: I'm Jason Edman, I'm actually Victoria Robinson and Professor Jason.
Speaker 1: Would you please dismiss the class classes now dismissed soldiers