Speaker 1: Edmund O'Brien as Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 2: This is Bruce Hardwick. Mister Dalla, do you remember me?
Speaker 1: I think I do. You're with a Corinthian Life and Liability, aren't you?
Speaker 2: That's right to work for you if you're busy.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure good.
Speaker 2: Our New York office got a call from the police this morning. They investigated some trouble on the East Side and found one of our policies of the scene and wanted to find out what the company knew about the man that covered, which was very little.
Speaker 1: What kind of trouble was it?
Speaker 2: Nobody seems to know all the signs of murder. I understand, but nobody.
Speaker 3: Will you go down and.
Speaker 2: See what you can make of it?
Speaker 4: Edmund O'Brien in another adventure of the Man with the action. Expense account American's Fabulous Free Lance Insurance Investigator.
Speaker 1: Yours truly, Johnny Dalla. Expense account submitted by a special investigator, Johnny Dollar to home Office, Corinthian Life Life and Liability Insurance Company, Hartford, Connecticut. The following is accounting of expenditure during my investigation of the richards Plain matters. Expense A count Item one thirty five dollars trip from Hartford for the scene of the crime, a part of Manhattan where the citizens have been conditioned to sleeping through screams, gunshot, and even the odors. I was met by a homicide sergeant and the tenement platt he took me to lived up to its first description. It did bear all the signs of murders except our body. All that must have taken a long time to accomplish. All this The place rented in the name of Richard's plain. Yeah, what's the address on his insurance policy? The number on Second Avenue? If the report read on this so far, sergeant, you can see everything which from the amount of busted furniture, a violent struggle, from the amount and placement of budstains, a sustained beating of someone there by the radiator. Nobody heard it. Nobody cared if they did hear it. We've asked questions, but the people won't admit anything. They don't want to get involved. The landlady phoned us after she's on the door open and looked in any bloodstains out in the karta. You haven't found any. You've seen enough, Yeah, I guess. So what's this part of some rec ship model seemed to be Splain's hobby for electing them. Yeah, there's not much we can do. I put this flat under lock and key. We can hold it that way for a while and wait for him to come back. But that's about all until we have some concrete evidence, like a body that will help. Are you going to wait for us or follow it up yourself? Now I've got that address on second it's his wife, isn't it. And beneficiary and the policy. You can't do much with her until she makes the missing person's report or something, and she hasn't. Yeah, I get anything from her. I'll let you out expensive con Item two a dollar and a half tax EID of the second avenue address. Missus Plaine was a rather dumpy blonde with tousled hair and half applied lipstick. See obviously didn't want me to come in.
Speaker 5: Well, it's not that I don't want to help any way, I could, mister dollars, but I haven't seen much of Dick lately.
Speaker 1: We split up, you know, No, I didn't. Okay, I've been here clip.
Speaker 5: Oh it's something about Dick.
Speaker 1: Dick, what about it? It's sick of you get bothered over that bum.
Speaker 5: Oh now, Mark, hold your temper. This man is from the insurance, mister Dollar, mister Bond.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, what's insulance got to do with this? Plain had a policy on his life? Missus Plain is a beneficiary.
Speaker 5: I guess I never told you, Mark. I almost forgot about it myself.
Speaker 1: Isn't very much thirty five thousand dollars? How did you learn about what happened?
Speaker 5: It was a police forhm me wanted to know if he was here. I told them the same as I told you. We I don't even know if Dick was he in or out?
Speaker 1: What he mean in or out in port?
Speaker 5: It was spe mm he worked on a boat.
Speaker 1: In his policy he listed his occupation as a carpenter.
Speaker 5: Well, he used to be, but since the war he's been a ship's carpenter. He's away all the time. That's one of the reasons I dumped him.
Speaker 1: That wasn't the worst Mark you talked to.
Speaker 5: Mister Dollar. Will I go and put the rest of my house? I feel like I'm not half read.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you want to know about him? Whether he's dead or alive? You think he'd called missus Plain if he was hurting in trouble. No, I know for sure he wouldn't. They quit. They meant it has there been a divorce, not yet. It costs money. She hasn't got any. I haven't splain as he's not letting loose. Would you happen to know if there's somebody he would turn to the police, check the hospitals without finding him. No, I don't know where it goes. Hey, what makes you so sure Splain is the one that get messed up. Maybe he went to work on somebody else.
Speaker 5: That's what I was thinking. One thing I can tell you from experience, it can take care of himself and he's me. But Hones said's the very best I can do.
Speaker 1: Mm okay, thanks here. I put my hotel room number on my card in case you want a phone, and I'll let you know if anything develops. Expense account item three a dollar and a half to Splain's plat. I decided that it would be easier to learn there the name of his last chip, and with that I hoped to find someone who was closer to him than his wife. Sergeant Burns was no longer there, but a liar too. Got a pass key from the landlady and I went in the top drawer. The battered bureau produced not only what I was looking for, but more. The name of the ship was the Tangier, and an envelope that contained a seamen's papers also contained a smaller dress book with enough names and addresses to keep at least one investigator happy. I started to jot them down, but got no more than half way through. I hope you don't mind, sah GENTI.
Speaker 6: Hey, what's out there?
Speaker 1: Oh you? What kind of sclaims?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 7: I heard you moving in here and thought he was in What happened?
Speaker 1: Shut the door?
Speaker 8: What a mess?
Speaker 1: Nobody seems to know what happened?
Speaker 3: Who are you?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Cop? Private type explained dead? Who'd wanna kill him? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna ask him.
Speaker 7: All that blood and everything busted up?
Speaker 6: Look, I don't wanna get mixed up and it. I I just know him like in the bar sometimes.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, come on, what's the idea, shorty? I want you to tell me about fixed clam.
Speaker 6: I don't know much about him.
Speaker 1: You know enough to walk through his door before anyone answered it?
Speaker 9: Well, sure I do that.
Speaker 6: Sometimes I I come to talk to him sometimes when he's in from the trip.
Speaker 5: I can't go to them places.
Speaker 1: And he tells me about him.
Speaker 6: I'd like to hear about Tangier and them places. And he shows with them ship models.
Speaker 1: He may do you know any of the people he does?
Speaker 7: Well, all I know is where he's been in.
Speaker 6: Every stay's in Moon a week.
Speaker 7: He eats it swing me sometimes.
Speaker 1: That's just across the street.
Speaker 6: I can't help you.
Speaker 1: Missing, Let me do difference. What my name is. I don't want to get mixed up with somebody. Don't anything about it. Come on now, please give me a break.
Speaker 3: Will you?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: Hey, what are you reaching.
Speaker 1: For my wallet? Well? Ten bucks pay their time?
Speaker 5: Will You're a good guy?
Speaker 7: I'm sorry I can't help you more.
Speaker 1: He spends account item four ten dollars peace offerings. I had a feeling. I paid for lies with it and covered the possible loss by tailing the rabbity little man to an address a few blocks away. His name turned out to be Paul Krell. What was left in the afternoon was spent on routine legwork, and at six I was on the phone in my hotel room. This is dollar sageant.
Speaker 4: How did you make it?
Speaker 1: I've got nothing explain, and his wife separated and can't afford a divorce. She's taken up with a guy named Mark Bond. They both say they haven't seen or heard from Splain for a long time. Yeah, A lot of people don't know anything about that guy. H It seems he's a ship carpenter. I got the name of the ship went aboard. He's been with it for a couple of years. Same one flies between here and North African ports. Those people don't know much about any of their crew made shore life, so I didn't get much. Few names I can check tomorrow the Tangier White flagline peerady on the East River. Have you run into anything? I'm still waiting. Well, you've got my hotel. Yeah, thanks for calling them. Something may turn up tonight.
Speaker 8: David does fo your first thing in the morning, Johnny Dalla, This.
Speaker 5: Is Clara's great mister dollars.
Speaker 1: Ah, Hello, I gotta see you right away. Sure, what's up?
Speaker 5: They are risted Mark? You know you met him?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They found your husband.
Speaker 5: Yeah, last nice. I've been down to the Morgar ready this morning to identify him.
Speaker 1: Mm. Where are you now?
Speaker 5: I might downstairs from you in the morning.
Speaker 9: Alright, Cli, come on up, come on in wuld you tell him about that's marking me?
Speaker 1: Nothing that would put the heat on Mark by itself. If they're holding him, they.
Speaker 5: They must know more of I think he's lying myself. He couldn't prove where he was when the police said my husband died.
Speaker 1: Are you sure you didn't mention that thirty five thousand dollars polity to Mark?
Speaker 5: I don't think I ever did. No, No, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Why did you come here? What do you want me to do?
Speaker 5: I'm I'm trying to get up my nerve, mister do The real reason that I left Dick was because I found out something.
Speaker 1: Mark that he was doing Dutch ass.
Speaker 5: He built little boats models and they were hollow. He brought dope into the country inside of him. I didn't tell the police that because I was afraid of what they'd do to me.
Speaker 1: For no one all the time you should be. Didn't Mark know about it?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 5: I never told anybody. But maybe it's important now.
Speaker 1: You're right, true or untrue, it is important. On the back of the splain Plat, I lined up the things that bore out the story. One the remains of the ship models in his wrecked room. Two, the possibility that Paul Krell may have been an arconic buyer and free the address book that could have contained a list of customers. But I didn't have a chance to do any more probing when I got there. The place was under police investigations. Sergeant Fern's up there, what of it? And I've been working with him on this. My name is Dollar Insurance investigator. All right, figure, thanks, that's all the activity and covers empty this another body?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: First? Not enough?
Speaker 1: Not too many? Who can figure these things? I could figure it when I got this plane's door. Now the evidence I hapened with concerned two murders. The body of Paul Krell lay beaten to death in the middle of the wrecked room.
Speaker 4: In just a moment, we'll return to the second act of Yours Truly Tommy Dollars starring Edmund O'Brien, but first house for trying to sing it again. Tonight, five thousand dollars in cold hard cash and ten thousand dollars and fine prizes are waiting for the CBS listener who can solve the fat and Voice mystery. Dan Seymour will be on and with those coast to coast phone calls again. Alan Dale, Eugenie Baird, Bob Howard and the riddlers will be making the music. And remember there's many a fine prize for solving the tuneful riddle songs that lead to the Phantom Voice mystery. It's an hour of fun music to entertain you and perhaps payoff. Every Saturday night and most of the same CBS stations. Here's singing again tonight, won't you? And now with our star Edmund O'Brien, we returned you to the second act of yours truly Johnny Dawes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the guy said he knows you want to come in give him out. Oh dla, how does this happen? You're showing up. I got tired waiting for your call. You were going to phone this morning of anything broke I was, And what kind of cooperation is this? I gave you everything I got yesterday almost the land lady tells me you came back here yesterday. You know what things like that that lose life for guys like you. I'm down, sergeant. You gave me the nod to go ahead without waiting for the police not to mess around with evidence. I'm on the verge of putting you away forty eight hours for questioning. Don't talk me into it. If you don't want to go, stay out of my hair, Okay, Sergian, I guess we just put our cards on the tape. What did you come here for? Yesterday? They get the name of the plain ship. I figured it would be easy to get it here than by making the rounds of the hiring hose. I told you what I got out of it, A few names and come here. There's only one change. When we came back here to find this body in the top brower of the bureau was standing open. This envelope was torn with this stuff dump on the top. Did you do this? No, hey, don't touch that. Keep your hands where they belong with dusting that stuff for Prince. Sorry, I guess i'd better get out of here, Sergeant before you and I lockhorn. You're beginning to make sense, though I thought I was too, At least hope so the notebook from which i'd top the list of names and addresses wasn't among the other articles dumped on the bureau top. But Sogeant Burn's threat to hold me for forty eight hours made it easy to keep my mouth shut about it and about my having met Krell.
Speaker 5: Oh, oh, did they let Mark Luke.
Speaker 1: Don't be funny? Of course they didn't.
Speaker 5: Did you tell him about the little boats in it?
Speaker 1: I thought it was better not too. Then another murder at your husband's place? Who a little guy named Paul Prell? That theydn't mean anything to you?
Speaker 5: I never heard it before? What's it all about?
Speaker 1: A lot of people are wondering where was Mark vond last night?
Speaker 5: They don't think he did that one too.
Speaker 1: I didn't ask, but I know how their minds work. They have accused Mark of going back to cover tracks? Where was he?
Speaker 5: He was right here with me?
Speaker 1: Any witnesses to prove that?
Speaker 5: There's me? I know he was here? Don't I?
Speaker 1: Under thirty five thousand dollars circumstances? That's hardly enough. How do I know this? Narcotics goes? It's true?
Speaker 5: I don't get it. Why would I admit it if it wasn't true. It's liable to get me in a lot of trouble.
Speaker 1: Isn't it. It could throw up a whale of a smoke screen from Mark too.
Speaker 5: Alright, I'll show you something. I got one hit in the closet, didn't hear something? Yeah? Yeah, this one he called a frigate. First year, you have to set it on something. Yeah, then you twist this thing a mask. I think this part opens up.
Speaker 1: Let me see that. Mm, it's pretty.
Speaker 5: Dick was always good with his hands. This is the only thing he hits I got.
Speaker 1: Maybe a chemist can prove whether or not it carried narcotics. I can't. But assuming that was the case, who did he sell you?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I didn't want that kind of money. And the minute I turn him out one night, I told him to get out and never mention it again.
Speaker 1: It's too bad. If he was cutting in on a combination, that might account for his death. But if he was playing board with him at something else, which brings us right back to your boy, Mark, have you thought of that?
Speaker 5: I know he didn't do it. If I thought he did, would I look you up.
Speaker 1: I'm taking the other approach. If he was innocent, why would you bother tossing me this model ship owned that you on expense account item five twenty five dollars blanket item covering transportation for the rest of the day. At the address of fol Krell, I learned what I believed to be the truth that his association with Splain was no more than a friendly one. From the list of names I copied, I picked Jerome Kentner, who had the closest address, an apartment about two hundred and fifty dollars a month away from the park. Yes, mister Jerome Camperon. Yes, And I could tink you about a man named Richard Splain. I don't know any I don't give myself away. He's not afraid zone, mister kent name, But you don't have to be afraid of me. I'm not a policeman. I suppose you wanna come in and he got better, right? But he's a explain is dead. He was murdered night before last. Oh that's bad, isn't it. How'd you find out about me? There's a list of names in his rooms cause it was one of them. You bought narcotics from him? Ship models I collect him. Don't you see them there in the case? Yeah? I know the Who are you? What do you want? Private investigator? I wanna find out who kills Splain? I didn't Why would I do that? I don't know when did you last see him? But it wasn't not before. I don't think I have time so old. I don't want a blackmail, you want answering them, but I will if I have to. It was last week, sometimes Tuesday. I think, how well did you know him? How mad? He might go? Betten through friend of mine? Much this friend's name? Go ahead and blackmail. I'm not talking anymore. Hm, shoot yourself. I'll leave my phone number in case you changed your mind. The next two stops yielded nothing. The names were either conveniently or coincidentally out of town. The next Miss Francaint Wells and address eighty second Street. Uh, missus Fransaint Wells. Please in regard to what I'd rather tell her. If you don't know, I'm.
Speaker 3: Afraid I'll have to insist you're a salesman.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not a salesman. It's Miss Wells and young man.
Speaker 3: You have to tell me who you.
Speaker 1: Are from me, Jed.
Speaker 3: I was expect remember, yes, I remember, and this gentleman is not Fred.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Hello, I'd like to talk to you if I could, Miss Wells.
Speaker 5: What about I don't know you do I No.
Speaker 1: You don't, but it's important that I speak to you in private if possible.
Speaker 9: Dead be a good guy.
Speaker 5: Go in the other room.
Speaker 3: For a minute and leave you all with this stranger will.
Speaker 5: Not come on.
Speaker 6: It's probably something about.
Speaker 1: Working it did.
Speaker 3: Why must it be so private? Calculator your name?
Speaker 5: They help phone screen. No, if it's he's that private, keep it low.
Speaker 9: He'll be this move.
Speaker 5: What's it all about?
Speaker 1: Richard's splain?
Speaker 6: Who?
Speaker 1: Richard? Splain?
Speaker 5: Who did you ask for here?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: Haven't either has been a mistake.
Speaker 1: You must have come to the wrong place if your name is trying to see, well as I haven't. It was that name and a dress I found on this plant.
Speaker 5: How on earth? Reminding him and the dress? Head into the apartment of a man I never heard of.
Speaker 1: We like we have mutual friends or some that m Maybe you do. Your name is only one of a dozen or more.
Speaker 6: I don't understand it all.
Speaker 3: Who is this?
Speaker 5: Richard's plain?
Speaker 1: Well, maybe you're ploy him without knowing his name. He sold narcotics, he's been murdered.
Speaker 2: No, I like to.
Speaker 5: I am a pushover. Shock.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I just worked out that way.
Speaker 5: Your art stopped. You will sit down my guests downstairs. Huh, I'll find that you would this day?
Speaker 3: What he said here?
Speaker 5: I dreamed about it here?
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: What happened.
Speaker 1: Why not think they'd a pressed the narcotics charge. I'm trying to find out who killed him being paid by his insurance company. When'd you see him last day?
Speaker 5: Or two of gold?
Speaker 9: But what are his names?
Speaker 1: You mentioned so far? All customers you have him as I made a consider?
Speaker 5: And do you think that one of them is the name of whoever killed?
Speaker 1: Is this?
Speaker 9: I really didn't know his name?
Speaker 1: How did you run it on him?
Speaker 5: I don't think it's important. I was introduced to him.
Speaker 1: By a friend, not a man named Mark Bond by any chance, or a woman named Clara explains why.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know anything about him.
Speaker 5: That's enough to watch for the date of his ship and was doing a right it was the government man would be the next to show up at MYNN.
Speaker 7: I do what MM?
Speaker 1: It's not up to me. I can't promise you any help, but I want you to look at the list of names and tell me if you know any of them. Anything I can do I will do.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know any more. I feel sorry for them. I don't want to sound any might feel sorry for my I don't.
Speaker 6: I was going to say I thought he deserved to be killed, but not he's fague anymore than it's the port of.
Speaker 5: Oh, what difference does it make?
Speaker 1: I want to leave my card with him in case there's something you haven't told me, I'll jump down my hotel. Most of the others I got to were pretty much the same, mixtures of fear, desperation, sometimes defiance, and usually fatalism. By the end of it, I arbitrarily set the name Jay L. Tucker as the last for that day. He lived in a cold water spread close to Greenwich Village, and he was different.
Speaker 7: Doesn't make any difference. Who knows it. I'n't heard these things before, so you're wasting your time. You asked me how I got in touch with Splain. I knew his wife, does huh? She was shilling for him before they got tired to ask her.
Speaker 1: Here's her address? Hello Dollar. I just left a man named Tucker. He said he knew you. I thought i'd better call, Oh Tucker, how'd you find him? He tells me, you made the contacts for your husband before you separated.
Speaker 9: That's a lie.
Speaker 1: Why would he say it? Well?
Speaker 9: I knew about Tucker one night.
Speaker 1: He just came up.
Speaker 5: He admitted he was looking for somebody and I told him about sick. I didn't know what I was doing.
Speaker 9: I was stiff.
Speaker 1: I've spent a long day and we're back to you, Shelley. He look, don't decide to leave town expense a car, had 'em six four dollars, A dinner at my hotel, item seven tame amount, few brandies at the bar. I had the idea I had spent a lot of energy for nothing until the elevator dropped me at my floor and I turned the corner toward my room.
Speaker 5: Sorry, if you left your card with me, you must expect your check.
Speaker 1: I left my card a lot of places. I didn't expect you as well.
Speaker 5: You don't seem who had any other checks?
Speaker 1: Gome on in.
Speaker 5: Well, you said if there was anything else I wanted to tell you. Yeah, well, uh there is. Got a long way back. I I don't know how these things happened to some people and not others. I was no angel, but I was all right.
Speaker 1: God, don't sit over here.
Speaker 6: I've always told mysel that some people get sitting by rattlesnakes and others dope, but it's not the same.
Speaker 5: And it was in school right after a party.
Speaker 9: Neither one of us had any stamps.
Speaker 5: He got it from somebody.
Speaker 9: Who is this in Pennsylvania?
Speaker 5: His name is Phil I I don't know. I came home, never saw him again. Thought that was the start out. It was only two years ago. I knew it would end, kept wondering, holl Now it hasn't.
Speaker 1: What are you trying to tell me?
Speaker 9: I killed Richard's plain, That's what I'm trying to tell you.
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 5: Because I went to him without any money and he ain't laughed at me. I don't know what happened to me.
Speaker 7: I picked up tell him, started to hit him, hit him, hit him?
Speaker 1: Why didn't you tell me this before I.
Speaker 5: Could go through the ward?
Speaker 2: But I can't even happened this time.
Speaker 1: I don't wanna go on it anymore.
Speaker 5: I went to him without any money.
Speaker 9: I picked up the first thing I touched and started to beat.
Speaker 1: Was that an and irony?
Speaker 9: That's what he was?
Speaker 1: And Paul Croll you killed him too.
Speaker 9: I don't know it. I must, I don't care.
Speaker 1: It's a good try, but it won't work. This wasn't a woman's killing, no matter how desperate she was. Do you want me to go if you want to stay here?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 8: It isn't enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm afraid you have Yeah, No, it's you. Where's my daughter? I want to talk to you about it. The Dwells somewhere in this apartment, if you haven't destroyed it, is a piece of very important evidence. What's that, you say? A note book containing a lot of names, among them your daughters. Oh, she told you this hardly. She was trying to protect you. She confessed the killing, which explained I haven't the rest of her, not yet. She was lying. You know, I'm afraid i'd do, mister Worlds. Not.
Speaker 3: I'm glad I told her about it. If I heard you leave. Are you married now? If you were, and you were my age and has a daughter, you'd understand. You know what it's like to watch her change.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: For a long time, I wondered, and i'd followed. When I learned the truth, I killed him. Surely you don't blame me.
Speaker 1: I turned Wells over to the police, not Sergeant Burns, and heard him explain his second killing, that of Paul Krell, who had arrived, as well as whisking for any TRACE's daughter might have left. Its plains remarks don't question the policy payoff to claris Plain in spite of the fact that she hardly deserves it. The keensicunt adam seven same as item one expense account total three hundred and seventy five dollars. Yours Truly, Johnny Dalla.
Speaker 4: Yours Truly Johnny Dollar stars Edmund O'Brien in the title role and is written by Gildawd with music conducted by Wilbur Hatch. Edmund O'Brien may soon be seen in the Paramount Pictures production war Pass. Featured in tonight's cast were Herb Butterfield, Raymond Burr, Joe Gilbert, Bill Bouchet, Howard mcneer, Barry Kroger, and Mary Lansing. Yours Truly Johnny Dollar is produced and directed by Hima Dovia.
Speaker 1: This is Bob.
Speaker 4: Steeveson inviting you to join us next week at this time, when we'll again bring you Edmund O'Brien.
Speaker 1: As Yours Truly, Johnny Darna. Have you met the Coopers Liz and George.
Speaker 4: They're the young married couple who keep things coming and keep you laughing in that hilarious domestic comedy My Favorite Husband, broadcast every Saturday night over most of the same CBS stations, So tune in every Saturday night to my favorite husband, and now stay tuned for Vonn Monroe's Caravan, which follows immediately over most of these same Columbia stations.
Speaker 1: This is CBS.
Speaker 4: The Stars address the Columbia Broadcasting system.