Speaker 1: With a round segle and from London and Gerard read from Berlin, this is redefining energy.
Speaker 2: Today. On redefining Energy, Child, we're going to talk about European sovereign neo cloud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is obviously a critical topic in this AI revolution that we're currently at the beginnings of.
Speaker 2: Yes, job, because when you see our investment right now, it is the biggest capital expenditure cycle in history. We are seeing statistics that the kapex is going to reach nine percent of global GDP, never seen before the peak of the railroad boom in the eighteen eighties or six percent of GDP. And the current AI data center built is bigger in the US than the rest of the construction company. So we are really in extremely out sector. But it's very US and when you're in Europe you have a different point of view.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I think we be really honest with ourselves. What's happened in Europe is AI regulations have blocked the development of AI companies across Europe. So we don't have any foundational model companies like the Chatchbts of this world. Yeah, and we're playing catch up, and I think there's a growing realization that actually, you know, one of the advantages that Europe has in particular businesses is they have data and do you certainly want that data sitting in another country, And even if it's not in another country, you want to make sure that that data is not leaking out to the rest of the world. There's also growing concern that you don't want to be just sticking with all your data stuck on AWS or Google or any of these other big American players. We need to really make sure, as I said, that your data is your data.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so. We have a supper guest, Michelle Butwelle is the co founder and CEO of a German complete called Polarize. Polarize is one of the few European what we call neo cloud and is a partner of Envigad and his mission is to build sovereign AI factories high performance across Europe and.
Speaker 1: Ron I think what we also want to do is we want to thank the BMW Foundation Herbert Kun for their support and those of you who don't know the foundation what they're all about as uniting leaders across sectors to develop solutions that foster innovative economy and a future proof society. A key focus is the energy transition and climate change, where the Foundation drives international collaboration to accelerate the energy transition. Obviously, with rising energy demand from AI and data centers, new partnerships, effective collaboration, exchange, a science based solutions and strategies are not just the samsual but like they're critical really going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for our listeners, we had to learn what the neo cloud company is because most of the time we're outside the data centers, so I'm more like energy in real estate, but here we are going inside the data center. So a real definition I just found a neo cloud company is a vertically integrated AI era infrastructure provider that controls the land power, data center build out and GPU cluster end to end offering hyperscal a great compute without being a traditional cloud like a WS or Azure. So the type of company which are now clouds in the US, you have Core with Amnhibius, Cruso, and so they are different from what they call the powerkshell the whole one, the aliks the advantage the cyrus one aligned data centers, you know, which provide the infrastator from the outside, and of course you've got another layer the original one, the traditional collocation reads Equinique Digital Reality, which are multi tenant. It's more retail wholesale focus. And then you've got the eper scalers and on the top of that a lot of money. The Blackstone, the Kickr, the Brookfield, Stone Peak Digital Bridge, they're all financing this absolute crazy build. We'll see what you're up as to reply to that US push.
Speaker 1: So let's bring Michelle on the show.
Speaker 2: Michelle, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Well, Michelle, maybe i'd like to kick off here now, and I'm going out with I spose a thesis that really were in the fifth Industrial Revolution and this is the biggest industrial revolution the history of mankind. And there's two things. One is it's AI and AI needs alecturously and actually a funny way, electricity needs AI. I'd really love to firstly ask whether you agree with that view, and then secondly just talk about Europe's role in this revolution going forward and how you see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally agree with that, and I would even go a little bit further. It's not just an industrial revolution, it's also like a revolution of the society because we have to adapt to all these things which AI brings to us. For example, it changed the way how we work in the future. It changed the way how we it's gonna spend time, you know, always work in silence of forth. So that means yeah, I'm totally agree to that.
Speaker 1: My second part to the question then really is with in and around Europe. What's Europe's role now, because again stand back and look at it, I see us doing a huge amount, particularly in and around learning for national models. China going a slightly different approach, which is a more open source, and then I sort of see Europe and I wonder what Europe is actually doing.
Speaker 3: This is the problem because Europe is not doing much at the moment. The biggest issue is if we are not starting now, we are missing the train. Because you see what is happening in America, you see what is happening in China. They're taking a major role in this AI business. And it means as soon as the European economy starts to adapt to AI, it will it needs a choice, and if there's no choice from a European perspective, then they will go to an hyperskiller, to an American one, or to a Chinese one, and they get sticky and then they can't go back anymore or not so easy back anymore. And it's not just about sovereignty. Is also just it's about how we're gonna give out our datas for free to these models to learn to replace us in the future.
Speaker 1: And this is a real threat.
Speaker 3: And in my opinion, we're doing a big mistake in Europe because we are trying to replicate things from America like we did in the European Union. There's a tender. The tender says we want to have one hundred thousand chips in one giga factory. And to be honest, I think this paper was made by a lot of lawyers, but no technical guys sitting there and explaining what is really needed in Europe.
Speaker 1: So Michelle jumping on that, it's tough because let's go back to the fact that it is a revolution that we're going through. And I be critical of the European Union too, because when I look at their AI Directive and all this type of stuff, it just slows down. You're trying to regulate something that is changing too quickly and we're not going about it in the right way. So I'm totally witcher and I suppose the question then to ask is well, what should we do?
Speaker 3: First of all, we as polarized trying to build something which is not existing at the moment. In Europe, it's called the neo cloud, so means a cloud who's specialized in AYE for a eyepurpose like AI infrastructure. So we need to enable European companies, startups and solence of force so that they are starting to build something that they're going to invest heavily into data center, into AI. If without that, we can't catch up anymore in my opinion, So we don't have to regulate everything beforehand, which we need to have some form of sandboxes where we can start to work with. Startups needs to be supported, scale ups needs to be supported. We don't have to look just at the big carps. We have to look like a mixture of everything. And if we're not starting now to trust in ourselves means that we're going to lose.
Speaker 1: On the long end.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, do I understand it, and that's coming from somebody who doesn't understand much, is that you've got to type of AI work. You've got the work where basically you run those big models. I have no idea how it works, but it looks like it consumes a lot of power. And then you've got what they call the inference, which I finally understood what it means. Basically, it's the asset management. Once the models are running, so do you concentrate on the first and on the second.
Speaker 3: So we are concentrating on the second because maybe I'm gonna make it a little more understandable. Large language models needs to be trained first, so that means we have to raise the child. We have to give them the ability to speak and to think. This is let's say training in the world, and we don't have so much foundation model, so we don't have so much training in Europe. So this is done by OpenAI and by all the big guys. And the inferencing is like AI in operation, So that means as soon as you use AI, you are implementing into your workflows and it starts to do something for you. Then it's called inferencing because like consuming constantly tokens, and tokens is they your form of energy? So our computers are transforming energy into tokens. The tokens are consumed by the models, and this is how it operates, and we are specialized in inferencing, and because what we think is that we don't need to have so much foundation mode, because there are a lot of open source models out there. We can use these open source models, we can fine tune them, we can put them on an infrastructure which is sovereign, and then we can start to use it in Europe or European companies can use it because we need it, because otherwise we can't compete with other companies in the world who have this advantage of the eye. So we have two choices. One choice is we go with foundation model, which are proparatary models from the Googles of the world, and then that means we're giving the datas into this these models are learning from it, and then it could be in the future it could be possible that they're going to replace work which was done here at European companies. Or we can use open source model, we put them on a European based infrastructure with European companies and then it has the same effect and then the companies can use the I as well.
Speaker 1: And this is what we're doing in Polarized Michelle, I just want to go back to open source here again because if I look and I see all the tests and studies that have been done. Now, if we went back three years ago, there was like a year's difference in terms of the quality of an open source one versus a proprietary system, but now it's like one month. And so am I wrong to look at it and say, who cares if it's proprietary or not? If it's open source? Is a way to go going forward? Which would mean if I'm a European and I want to catch up, I really want to be the fast follower. I don't want to be the leader the US who's going to do and all this spend, all this money and all this foundation. Might I just go and take these open source models and I go directly into inference. Am I thinking about this right? Wrong? How do you think about it?
Speaker 3: You're absolutely thinking in the right way. So I think that the open source models has catched up so fast, and they are pretty good, and you have so much varieties, and you also have to think how much performance do you need? How much parameters are really necessary? If you look at the biggest foundation models in the market and you see the parameters, I would say in OPO's four point zero is not necessary for ninety nine percent of the people who are using EYE at the moment, So that means you don't need this super super super high intelligent parameters. But you can go with open source. You can save a lot of costs and you can also save your datas and it will be at the end of the day, the open source model will your personally EYE model in my opinion, and that is super interesting. So that means, yes, I'm totally following what you.
Speaker 2: Say if I understand. Well, you say you're a Neil cloud, so I know because that's kind of funny. Michael Intrator used to be my carbon broker twenty five years ago. Well it's not very well the sea of core weave now, so you kind of a European core weave. Correct, correct, Yes, Okay. What we do know from the energy guys is basically what Rowan is doing created by Quinn Brooke, fantastic company, but the others it's basically all outside the data center. So you know, they arrived, they put a terrain, they build the all infrastructure, and basically they deliver you or they deliver somebody a building which is ready to be powered and cool and everything. And that's where you come in explain a bit what you're doing.
Speaker 3: No, it's in fact, it's not where we are coming. We'recoming a stage earlier. Because if you look at the actual data center industry in the world, and it's mainly let's say cloud business like storage and so on and so force, it was like that the infrastructure, so the real estate building was thought from real estate guys, and then the computing which was implemented there was staying in the same shape for years, for maybe ten fifteen years. So inside the data center you had like a real estate part, and then in the in the real estate part, we had like a standard of some form of it called rex. It's like shelfs and then these shelvels had around fifteen to twenty kilowat each shelf today and we are seeing it the other way around because what we have understand and this is why we are building the data center ourselves, because at the moment, there are no co location data center which are suitable for the II infrastructure, so to say, because you have to think backwards, you have to think from the it back to the real estate. And there's a lot of differences between the old data center economy and the old data center economy.
Speaker 1: It will not be ending. It will stay as it is.
Speaker 3: We're still going to consume data is We're still going to have Internet, We're still going to have storage, and then we'll also have a gross every year. And then there is a new form of data center. These are the AI factories, So we are not calling them any more data centers. We are calling them AI factories, and these AI factory are totally different constructed. First of all, we are not going with fifteen kilowatt uperrac. We are going with up to one hundred and fifteen more. And we have to think not just about the generation of compute today, we also have to think about the generation of compute of tomorrow because the iteration of compute is going so fast. So every GPU model it will be replaced in the next three to five years. So we're going to have an efficiency every three to five years in GPUs, and we're going to consume more energy per GPU in the same amount of time. It always doubles the town sometimes even triples, and that needs to be sought as well. So if you're going in a classical data center, and if you don't think about all these different elements you're going to be outdated super fast in the data center world. So that means you need to think differently in THEI factories than you did in the past with normal data centers. Normal data center are not suitable for AI, and that means there's a totally new classification of data center coming into the market with a big hunger of energy, but with a lot less space. So for example, we are putting per square meter a lot more energy than a normal classical data center, So it means we can build in two thousand square meters, we can build twenty twenty five megawats.
Speaker 1: Very interesting you're saying about energy there. But I'm going to ask now, just coming from the energy side, when you look at data centers going forward, are we going to build big, huge ones or are they going to be small? In other words, are we going grade edge? And if it is grid edge, jesus fifty megawats, twenty megawards five one? How do you see the future in Europe of building these data centers or sorry AI factory, sorry AI factories, no whorries.
Speaker 3: So I see it in the same way like we're producing energy today, so we have like big new power plants in Europe. We have smaller coal plants, we have gas plants, we have windmills, We have a lot of different power production all over Europe, which is necessary because you need sometimes a really big power plant to produce a lot of energy because you have a region, we have big cities and so on, and the force whereas necessary. I see the same in AI. So of course we're going to have one hundred megawatter one hundred and fifty megawatt big AI factories, but we're going to also have like twenty megawat factories. We're going to have fifty megawatt factories.
Speaker 1: And what we think, we.
Speaker 3: See it as a and we call it giga grit in polarized. So we don't need these big centralized single point of failures in my opinion. So what we need is all the mixture of different form of AI factory which fits into the region and into the market. For example, if you're living in Munich and we have one data center or one AI factory in Munich where we are running ten thousand GPUs, it has around twenty five megawatts, so it's it's in terms of data center as standard data centers quite huge, but in terms of AI factories is pretty small and with this ten thousand GPUs, we have doubled the AI capacity in Germany at the moment. That means at the same time there is a lot more hunger for GPUs and AI factory, so we need to build them fast. And in my opinion, there's a lot of options in the market if you want to go fast, because if you build a two hundred megawat or even bigger AI factory, it takes time because the grid connection is not so easy. You need to find the right point to connect, then you need to build it. Then you need to have all this residancy. You need to have a lot of things to build these huge factories. But if you find an old production fabric which already has twenty or ten or fifteen mega what's in place, and you are capable to retrofit it, and you have the creativity how to transform a former whatever factory it was, into an AI factory and using the same infrastructure which was already there, and you just upgraded, you just put it in a way that is suitable for an AI factory, and then you have a very fast and a very efficient AI factory. And it's also in my opinion, so that you don't have to build everything from Squattionally you're saving a lot of cou two for example, and so and so forth. And we have in Europe and especially in Germany, we have so much potential sites and we see that every day which could be transformed into an AI factory and being a super efficient and a super fast way forward. So there is enough options, but the option needs some creativity from companies like US or others. And if you just go the normal way like we did it in the normal data center world, for example in Frankfurt. So we have in Frankfort a lot of data centers because we have there the International and the Transatlantic Internet KNOT and there's DCAKES which is one of the biggest Internet distribution not in the world. This is why everybody wants to be in Frankfort. But if you want to build a data center at Frankfoot, it will take you at least six seven eight years until you get the grid concert and it will cost you forty percent more than other regions, and that will be too late in my opinion. If you're going to go the same root.
Speaker 2: It's a very interesting approach. It's a very German approach decentralization. But if you cross the border and you are in France, where everything is stopped down, decided by the president, the only thing they're interested is to sign seventy five billion with a soft bank. Who's going to deliver or not? Is it compatible? Or who's right, who's wrong, everybody's right? How does it work?
Speaker 3: It is compatible because if you look at the reality in France, the grid connection times is even longer than sometimes for example, if you look in Paris region or Bordeaux region or other bigger regions, it's a nightmare how long it takes until you get a real data center on the ground at the end of the day. In a more centralized country like France, they're going to have the same promise and there are the same options. You also have a lot of industries which are not performing and in the same way, which can be retrofitted into two AI factories. And we see that all over Europe, so in Spain, in England, and we have projects in Spain we haven't we have also a project in England. The grids in England, it's also like a very bureaucratic and not an easy way to go. So that means We have that all over Europe, the same problems, the same kind of grid constraints, and if you look at Scandinavia where it's a little bit better, but still also Scandinavia is now catching up in bureaucratic processes and not being so easy anymore than there was in the past.
Speaker 1: Michelle, I like your approach and I think, okay, yeah, using existing infrastructure makes a lot of sense to me. Talk a little bit about the client perspective, In other words, why would a client go to you rather than go to Google or Microsoft or someone who they trust and they know for many years. In other words, what is it they differentiates you from them?
Speaker 3: I think there are three reasons. First of all, we are not more expensive than taking a hyperscilla. Second, we are sovereign, means all our clients are protected against the US out So that means that a government can decide to look into your datas, they can even decide to shut you down. And that so is we have no interest in your data. We don't drive our own models, we don't use your data to learn from it, we don't feed our own machine. So that means everything stays with the client and you can be sure, of course they are at form of legal frameworks where you can protect yourself, but at the end you don't know how the hyperskillers are using your data for their own purposes and own good And we know in the past Amazon had a marketplace, so everybody could bring his services and goods to this marketplace and sell it over Amazon, and then Amazon learned from it what are the best products, which products can be sold very fast, and which are super interesting to sell, and then they sold it themselves. So why should they not use your company data to train and to understand how they can make money with this. This is something every company in Germany, in Europe needs to think about that. So this is why the usp of Polarized is clearly that we have the same quality of service in AI. We have no intention to use your data for anything, and we are fully compliant to the European Union laws to GDPR and we have nothing to do with the US Cloud Act. And I also have to say, of course, we as Polarized are not so big at the moment, so we are trying to do our best. But what we do, for example, is we do some form of partnerships, for example with Telecom, the German Telecom who are building the trust layer, who are giving us a lot of potential into the market, but also with others big European companies or potential cloud champions in the future, like the Schwartz group, where we are delivering the layers, they need to repackage it and to sell it to their customers.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, what you decide to put the architecture, whether you put upper or Blackwell or Rubine or whatever else, that's your decision. Does the client to tell you that's the cheap I want?
Speaker 3: There is different layers. So we have one layer that is a data center, the I factory. Then the next layer is the compute means what type of GPUs, what type of storage. On top of it, we have a layer which is called core, which is like a software layer where a customer can just consume virtualized server and GPUs, and on top of it we have AIS a service. It means we have a platform where we are hosting different open source models and you as a consumer can directly log into the platform. You can choose your model and then you can consume tokens and your pay us per token. So if we're selling to a customer the GPU layer, which is called bad metal, then of course the customer will tell us what kind of GPUs and what kind of compute he wants. But if we sell it through Core or through our platform, then the customer they don't need to understand the infrastructure be lowered because they don't need a GPU. Nobody wants a g We just want to have the AI in operation to use it for two purposes, to make more money or to make my company more efficient. These are just the main drivers at the end of the day. So that means yes, sometimes if we are selling it to a bigger client like Telecom, then they choosing the it. They telling us what kind of a t they want. But if we are selling Core or Drive, then we are deciding what kind of a TV you're going to put into the data center.
Speaker 2: Michelle.
Speaker 1: One thing that I see in my work every day really is that the people driving AI demand for data centers in Europe are all the hyperscalters in the US. I don't see any European players actually doing anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's correct, And this is the problem because it has two elements. One element is that the hyperskillers are going to consume most of our infrastructure, so that means they're blocking the infrastructure as well because they need a lot of energy for their training clusters. And the second element is that we are not really investing into it because we as Europeans, we are investing in balance sheets and we are not investing in ideas. Means the hyper skillers they have no problem in buying trillions and billions of euros for GPUs and training them models, but they also don't know what's coming in the next four or five years.
Speaker 1: But they have an idea.
Speaker 3: In Europe with the big tail coos, the big cloud players in Europe, they are not investing at the moments so heavy, and this is why everybody is looking at the governments and is looking at the European Union to subsidize some part of the capital expansion. And this is a problem because that makes us super super slow. It doesn't give us the real opportunity to grow fast into it. And we as a company, we see that. So for us, it's super heavy to collect the billion for example or one hundred millions, so which is a lot more easier if you're an American company with this core weave for examples to core weave or n Scale or anibio. They have collected so much money and if we polarize, if it goes out and tries to collect the same amount of money, it's not.
Speaker 1: So easy for us.
Speaker 3: And this needs to be changed in Europe. So we need to have more capital flow, We need to have more risk appetite in here, because if we are missing this revolution and that means we need to invest in it, then we have a big, big problem.
Speaker 1: In my opinion. The one thing I was just going to comment on that Machell is well, it all comes down off take is what it comes down to. If you have a client, there's no problem then actually getting finance for structure, infrastructure financing. So I suppose I'm trying to get my head around, like if I'm let's take the example Deutsche Telecom. They have t systems, right, so why aren't they doing more? I mean, sorry, they have the customers already. I'm trying to get my head around that. I can understand you as a startup, but there's a whole pile of big existing system integrators out there, so why aren't they doing this?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, that the European Union is different. We are mainly driven by SMBs and SMBs they can't sign with you a five years contract on several millions. They need to start now somewhere, means they're going to have short term contracts. And these short term contracts in these lets are not exactly knowing how much consumption they're going to have in the next let's say one two years, will lead us to not having the financing option in here. And the big corps they're at the moment looking on prem solutions or they have no fast solution because what they want is they want to have compute now. So means they're also working then with hyper skills at the end because we don't have the infrastructure. So of course we're trying our best to convince the market and the capital market that it's a good idea to invest into compute today, even if you don't have a five years contract, because consumption will come and it will come in a hockey stick and not in a slow growth scenery. And if you don't have an offer, and if you don't have the infrastructure and you don't have the compute, then you have no chance to serve this customer, and the customer will then find another solution.
Speaker 1: Ye well, let me just thank you for coming on the show. It's been great really to have this discussion with you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: It was a pleasure. Joe, I've shut up a foller on that we're going to the biggest industrial revolution in the history of mankind and Europe is struggling to catch up. We need entrepreneurs like Michelle to enable us to do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, John, I'm going to try to take a Scottish accent, which is going to be a bit difficult. And to quote Sean Connery in The Untouchables, Europe's bringing a knife to a gunfight.
Speaker 1: I was actually, I don't even think it's a knife. I think it's a baton, because a knife is sharp. I think you're right on that.
Speaker 2: What I learned is that the lms are getting really commoditized, So I wonder why they're putting so much money into developing those new lms, considering the one who are open on the market now almost the same quality a few months later. What was, of course much more important was the attitude of the US government. So you have that thing called the Cloud Act, which basically the US government can have access to every data, and of course they can block as well. We've seen the recent blocking of entropy the fable five AI model. So having a European base is absolutely critical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I want to talk about those fundacial models. I think the foundational models by the nation are foundational that the basis for everything that comes on top. And I know the European approach is let's focus on the applications that can be built using those foundational models. Well, there's an issue with that, and I'll give you a really simple example. There's a whole part of business across the world that have come out to help lawyers across the world us AI. Most of them have actually been based on cloud and then guess what cloude for legal concersions. So the question I have to ask myself where's the power? Is the power the foundational model guys or the guys as an application. That's the concern I'd have from European perspective, as we just don't have those foundational moments. Now. I know we are moving open source in this, that and the other thing, but still, yeah, we have a lot of work to do in Europe. That's what I would say.
Speaker 2: It is still a gigantic bet. If you look at the cash furnace that are all those investment in those models. Big Deck used to print money. Now they burn it and all their cash flow is gone. And they are doing equity raise and they are raising debt. They have of balance sheet leverage SPV. They are trillions trillions committed to AI. It's a ginomous bet.
Speaker 1: We're in a revolution, and revolution there are going to be big winners and they're also going to be big losers. Yea. That means also from a capital perspective, the same thing. Go back to the start of the twentieth century. Yeah, And I mean, if you're producing horse and carts, you were gone. Right, that's the world we're in today, right, it really is, but it's bigger. And I think the other thing that's that is clear is it's the speed of change, which is really really difficult. You know. So I think both of us agree that there's a big bubble here, But exactly when it's gonna burst and how it's gonna burst, and who's gonna win who's not, that's not clear to anyone. And in fact, I might have an opinion today and actually I'm changing my opinion and tomorrow and then I have another one. The day after that, because the speed of change is just so breathtaking. I think we agree on one thing wrong. My god, it's good to good time to be in the electricity spos because whatever happens, you need electricity.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's time to thank Michelle for coming on the show. Fascinating conversation, and to thank the BMW Foundation a berquant for inspiring us. Those episodes so more AI than energy, but still everything is linked.
Speaker 1: Absolutely good and I look forward to seeing you next week.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, cheers.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Redefining Energy. Don't forget to rate the show and subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or the platform of your choice.