Speaker 1: Now one of your pudding. I got a string going on here, something just cause my dog. Something killed your dog, my dog. We're flying through the air over the tree. I don't know how it did it, Okay, Damn, I'm really confused. All I saw was my dog coming over the fence and he was dead. And once you hit the ground like, I didn't see any cars. All I saw was my dog coming over the fence. Sat what are you putting? We got some wonder or something crawling around out here? Did you see what it was?
Speaker 2: Or was it was?
Speaker 1: Standing enough? I'm out here looking through the window now and I don't see anything. I don't want to go outside. Jesus Quice, you better New York. Hello, get somebody out here. What quin on out there? I thought of a bit is about ticking for nine? I don't know. Easy him out there. Yeah, I'm walking right heady.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, greetings spread Alaska. Thanks for joining me today. A little breezy out partly to mostly shitty. To be honest with you, it is what it is. It's Alaska. A lot of background stuff going on as far as gathering information talking to people. What I want to share with you today comes from Craig and Marcy. This happened approximately seven years ago. It was the first time they're taking their twelve year old son, Daniel, on that distance of an excursion outside of just local campground or something like that. So this piece of property they're going to, this cabin belonged to a Craig's uncle and dad before his dad passed. Since his dad passed is primarily his uncles. His uncle was there quite often did quite a bit there. Craig had arranged it to spend about a week out there, five days to a week depending And so what they would do is they leave their six wheeler, which is just like a four wheeler like this, but has a dump bed and another set of tires. Really good traction six hundred sec. But anyway, they leave it at their friend's house. From what Craig says, they jump on the wheeler, they load up their stuff. They got to go through a small neighborhood and then they hit this one access road that goes to a particular well known lake. They go along that access road and then they take off from there and it's a few miles out into the Boonies to get to this cabin they leave. They get off the main roads and stuff. They're about a couple miles into it. As they were getting ready to drop down this one particular hill because at the bottom of the hill opens up to a bunch of muskeke stuff that they had to get through to get across to the other tree line and then onto the cabin, which was a few more miles after that. There was a couple guys that were coming out and so being courteous, he saw him coming up the hill.
Speaker 4: I heard him coming up the hill, so stop.
Speaker 3: Pulled off the trail so they had room to come on by because they needed momentum speed coming up. As soon as they got to the top, they stopped. Tell Craig, They're like, hey, just be aware. There's some strange dude out there. We saw earlier this morning. It was up on the opposite side of the muskeg there. We tried to holler at him, but he just turned away and walked off in his fur coat.
Speaker 4: Don't know what's up with that guy. You just be aware. You got your kid with you, your wife, and just be aware. Craigs, Yeah, we'll move. Be aware.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the heads up, and the guys you know, said hey have a good day whatever, and they continue on their way. They dropped to the bottom and once they get into the it's not open muskeg, but damn near and it's huge, just big egg shape open area about midpoint. So there's a little bit of a firmer land that comes out onto this swampy area, this particular first section. Craig was saying that they had to ride the tree line around to get over to that other spot, because trying to go through it was just forget about it. It was just too trenched out and it just begging to get stuck. So they go around and they're skirting the tree line, and they make it around and they're basically at the midway point they start into the second section. It's even a longer way around if he was to ride the tree line, and because of how nasty and gnarly it was, he walked around back and forth trying to find a good place, but it was just all too much and he didn't want to risk swamping out, having his son and wife stuck out in the swampyage and all that kind of shit, so he opted to take that long way around, which in essence tripled the distance that it would have tooken if he could have just shot straight across. So about three quarters of the way through that part of it, off to the side of the right, he said, it was just this hill. This berm went up about maybe fifty feet tops at a pretty steep.
Speaker 4: Angle, bunch of trees on it and whatnot.
Speaker 3: As they were coming around, he hears his son say, hey, Dad, there's that man. There's that man with the fur coat. He stops what he's doing. He's trying to look up and see what his son's talking about. He can't see. He let's go to the handlebars and gets off a little ways. He's trying to look where his son's pointing, and when he sees what his son is it's basically is just going out of you. So he yells up there, hey, we're down here. I hope you're having a good day, just pleasantry stuff. But there was no response, so they said screw this and they continue on. Now he had a shotgun on his gun rack, his wife had a three fifty seven in a holster. Craig also had a forty caliber Semato and a little shoulder holster rig and so there was nothing tangible as a threat. So this continued on their way some weirdo and was that he doesn't one answer, that's fine, just as long as he isn't doing anything crazy, he won't have to shoot them. They continue on, they get to the park where it's back up.
Speaker 4: Into the hard terrain. They're kicking along.
Speaker 3: In this particular stretch he was saying that weaves back and forth in these real slow swooping turns.
Speaker 4: There's so many tree roots.
Speaker 3: It's slow going because this is bem you're just constantly just banging around. So it was slow going, and where he could he would cut through and where other people had obviously, so as they were about halfway through this section, eventually it's going to open up into another smaller not quite a muskeg, but open tundrip area.
Speaker 4: And then once they.
Speaker 3: Crossed there, there's a branch that cuts off to the cabin. Just before they were out of this section of the woods, his son again said, hey, there's that man in the fur coat.
Speaker 4: So immediately Craig's had it. He's like, what the hell is this dude?
Speaker 3: Because he wasn't going fast, so obviously anyone could have kept up if they wanted to, so it wasn't like they were out running it and it was something od or anything. So he puts it in part. He gets off and he's looking where the sun's plating and a son.
Speaker 4: Points through the trees.
Speaker 3: It was just the right angle to cut through all these trees and he sees this figure way off in the distance. Now it wasn't close at all. His son had a good eye picked it out. He said it was at least one hundred and twenty five yards just so lined up perfectly that he could see this thing.
Speaker 4: But it was just head and shoulders and it was silhouetted right.
Speaker 3: And so Craig just waves like this, you know, yells out a couple times, and he gets a simple kind of half hearted hand up, turn and gone. So he goes, okay, he acknowledged us. He gave a wave because the son was commenting. Daniel was like Daddy waved. He waved, okay. So they continued on. Nothing of it weird all over there. But as he's going along and they're coming to this section where it opens up. They got across this section, which is a lot harder for mour terrain. Once they hit that branch across there, they can cut over the cabin about a mile from there. As he gets down there, it starts dawning on him, the distance this thing was, this person was, and how freaking tall it was right because it was. It all started as they were going along, just started adding up. Wait a minute, why is this thing? That thing had to be huge. And so he stops in the open area and he's asking a son, Hey, have you been seeing that thing the whole time? And the son was like, not the whole time, just here and there, I'd see it behind us. That gave Craig the creeps And Marcy's what the hell, and he goes, let's just get to the cabin, cross that open area, and then they hit the little split to where they got to take it off to the cabin where his uncle's cabin is. Well, when they're pulling onto the property, the trail cuts off to the left real hard and it wraps around like a big tear drop around the cabin right, And it's meant that way for snow machine whatever, if forre easier to pull around front unload all that kind of stuff. He pulls around, starts getting everything unloaded. Marcy and Daniel are inside. They're doing their thing, getting everything unloaded. Craig grabs his shotgun and he's walking the back trail, just walking back. It ain't sitting with them, right, this figure off in the distance and it continuing to.
Speaker 4: Follow them, right.
Speaker 3: So he walks back, maybe about a half mile, and he let Marcy know he was going to go for a walk, and he told her to be aware. And as he gets about a half mile away or so, he hears a sharp whistle off to his left, takes a look over to his left, sees nothing. I was like, man, that was a real sharp piercing whistle.
Speaker 4: That's odd.
Speaker 3: Yells out, hey, hello, no answer, no nothing, And then off to his right he hears this crash, kind of crashing through the brush kind of sound, and so he turns and he raises his shotgun and he's I'll shoot you. I'll shoot you, because he said it didn't sound like a moose. They sounded to buy pedal the sound, and so, not seeing anything or hearing anything further.
Speaker 4: He was like, screw it. Now, I'm going to get out of here, y'all.
Speaker 3: So he turns around and starts walking back, and every once in a while he'd look over his shoulder and.
Speaker 4: Everything like that. Nothing else, no other weird sounds or anything.
Speaker 3: He gets back to the cabin, tells Marcy about the sharp whistle and the sound, and she goes, we'll just wall stay close together and hopefully this guy doesn't pose a threat to us. Yeah, I don't want you to have to shoot some strange guy in the woods, and Craigs, I don't either, That's the last thing I want. And so they're going over their options. Marcy decides that because Daniel's wound up, he's excited they're out in the woods.
Speaker 4: He wants to be out in it.
Speaker 3: So Marcy's with them right there on the side of the cabin while Craig's finishing up some stuff inside. From what Craig was explaining from on either side of the cab, it's a good sixty seventy feet of clearance all the way around this thing for fire reasons. Right, there's no shrubs left, it's cut down all the way around. There's no trees here or there, none of that. So when you're standing on the steps of this cabin looking out, just down below is a small pond, not quite big enough to be a lake. Just down this little drop mountains off through the brush just off over here to the right a little bit. But there's a fire pit about midway between the cabin and the tree line, and it's a good sized fire pit with a couple benches by it for entertaining or just sitting out by the fire, and then the rest is just clear cut around. So Daniel and Marcy were playing on the side. If you're facing the cabin, it would be to the left side they're playing. And Daniel found this little strip of leather and had three jingle bells on it, and he was just laying just jiggling around.
Speaker 4: It was annoying as hell.
Speaker 3: Craig tolerated for all of five minutes and finally went out, hey, bell's got to go.
Speaker 4: Daniel's like, where do you want me to put?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 4: Throw it in the woods. So Daniel slings it off into the brush, thought nothing more of it.
Speaker 3: He continues doing whatever I want to play kick the can with Marcia, and Marcia's we're not playing hide and seek nothing around here right now, not until there's weird stuff going on with strangers.
Speaker 4: We're not going to be hiding from each other, not right now.
Speaker 3: And so they shut that down and decided they're going to go in and have a real late lunch.
Speaker 4: So they're inside. So the layout of this place when you go in the door, immediately to your right is an old blaze kingwood stove window next to that which was like a big four foot square salvage from somewhere another. And then once you step inside.
Speaker 3: The door, there's like three foot by four foot almost same as the one opposite, almost mirroring each other. Each set of windows had blackout curtains on the inside and then drapes right Atlanta the midnight sun. And then right beside that is a small table, a counter. There's a counter on the opposite side, and then a bunk in the back. There's a comp post toilet back over in the corner with one of those little accordion blind things you can move around it or whatever for privacy, which was for use in the dead winner or the middle of the night bear you're stuck inside because of bear or whatever. So they're in there, they're eating their lunch. As they're wrapping up lunch, about an hour had passed since they were outside, right, everyone faintly hears this jingle.
Speaker 4: They're like, what the hell.
Speaker 3: Craig immediately jumps up grabs that shotgun and goes outside and figure it's that guy.
Speaker 4: So he goes outside.
Speaker 3: He's looking around, doesn't see nothing, and he hears the jingling. So he moved and he saw the jingle bells. He assum went Daniel threw it and landed on this tree. A little bit of movement made it jingle. No one's there, he didn't see anything. He didn't feel watched or anything. So it was like, oh okay, so he was able to dismiss it. He was able to explain it away. In his mind, everything was all good. He goes back inside, so everything's calming down, and so they decide they're going to go out.
Speaker 4: Craig's going to start the ball on fire.
Speaker 3: Everyone's getting mosquito dope on and stuff like that because the mosquitos are pretty thick.
Speaker 4: It was about to be getting a june from what he was saying.
Speaker 3: So as he's out there, he's tending the fire, he's getting it going good. He's just looking for any trash round to throwing there and burn. And as he's doing that, he hears the jingle bells again. He goes, you know what, that's going to drive me crazy. I'm gonna grab a stick and go knock it out of the brush, just so it's on the ground. I'll stomp it down to where the bells don't make noise anymore.
Speaker 4: Screw that. I don't want that thing messing with me while I'm sleeping.
Speaker 3: So he finds his stick, his shotguns inside the cabin, but he's got his forty caliber and his shoulder holster.
Speaker 4: He walks over and he's holding his stick.
Speaker 3: He found it was an old dip net poll that didn't no longer have the dip net on it. So he goes over and he's looking where he saw it last and it's not there. And he's pushing against a tree with the stick. Nothing, and he goes looking on the ground and he doesn't see nothing. So he's like, oh, I must have fell okay, out of side, out of mind.
Speaker 4: Screw it.
Speaker 3: Goes back over and at that point bringing the stuff down to make smores. Right, And so while Marcy and Daniel are making s'mores, Craig's just distracted. He keeps just getting this weird feeling. And it's still daylight out, it hasn't reached dusk yet, so he's pay attention to Marcy will be right back.
Speaker 4: He goes inside, grabs a shotgun.
Speaker 3: He had some sable slugs and some regular one out slugs, lead slugs and stuff, so we he did comebacks out and eat. He loads up different slugs, had extra buckshot and some other slugs in his pockets.
Speaker 4: That made Marci go, what's going on?
Speaker 3: And he goes, I just got a weird feeling, and she goes, screw that. If you feel more in danger, we don't need to be out here. We can make these inside over a little stove or whatever. And he was like, no, we should be okay, just because just in case, and so Marcia reluctantly was like okay. So her and Daniel are doing their best to hurry up with the s'mores. Daniels, he's young, he's laughing, he's catching his marshmallow on fire and shit like that, just having a good time. The night carries on and Daniel's getting a little tired, and so Marcy says, hey, I'm gonna go put him to bed. Do you want me to bring you out a cold beer? And Craig sure, yeah, just bring out that small cooler. It has a couple of each. Marcy had some wine coolers and he had some cold beer in there, and.
Speaker 4: Stay tuned for more sasquatch out to see. Well right back after the East messages.
Speaker 3: She comes back out with it. She sits down and asks him, Hey, what's going on? Because I guess from what Craig was saying wasn't present. He was focusing on other stuff. As they're sitting there talking, he opens a beer and she's enjoying one of her wine coolers. As they're talking, way off in the distance, they both could have swore they heard those jingle bells, just a couple of jingles and that was it.
Speaker 4: They're asking each other did you hear that? And they're like yeah.
Speaker 3: Immediately Craig's hair starts standing up on the back of his neck. He goes, yeah, let's enjoy these inside. Let's go inside. Let's enjoy this stuff inside. So they gather up the little bit of stuff they had there and they went inside.
Speaker 4: They're in there for a little bit.
Speaker 3: They're calming down from just letting their mind just dismiss away the sound. Well, she had forgot the gram crackers outside and so she was like, oh, crap, I don't want that to attract the bear.
Speaker 4: Can you go grab him. Craigs was like, sure, I'll go grab him in just a second.
Speaker 3: He finishes his beer, puts it in the garbage, and he goes out and he looks around and he yells back, Hey, where'd you leave him? And she said, they're right there on the bench, like literally on the seat of the bench. They weren't there. They're not here anymore. And he walks back inside. Okay, well maybe she grabbed him. So they're looking for him inside, can't find him again. All of a sudden, Marcy and Craig both at the same time, got the ebgb's basically right.
Speaker 4: What the hell?
Speaker 3: And they turn around in that big window there next to the wood stove, they see this dark silhouette in it. Craig instantly, Hey, pulls this pistol and he starts aiming it, and then this thing is gone, moves out of the way of the window, instantly reholsters it, puts a little clip on the top of it so it doesn't slip out or whatever, grabs a shotgun and goes out. Marcy's telling him stay inside, stay inside. He wasn't listening. He wasn't gonna have this now. He goes out there's nothing around, couldn't see nothing, looks all around, looks up on the roof, looks everywhere. It's not even dust cat right, And so he goes back inside, shuts the door and there's They have one of those boards you can slide in for an extra block, so they puts that on that particular window.
Speaker 4: He starts looking and he's wait a minute.
Speaker 3: The bottom of the window starts about three feet from the floor of the cabin. The floor of the cabin is roughly four to five feet off the ground outside, so you're talking almost seven foot to the sill of this window, the lower sill.
Speaker 4: This thing was taking up most of that window.
Speaker 3: It makes it roughly twelve foot tall when it was wide enough to over four foot.
Speaker 4: Wide to block out the whole thing from side to side. Whatever.
Speaker 3: This thing is massive, and she goes it's bigfoot. Now, you got to understand when they turned in there, they were startled. They first saw this thing, and then it moved when he pulled the gun and he yelled, Daniel started crying.
Speaker 4: So through the mix of this, you gotta understand.
Speaker 3: There's a distraught kid, Marcy trying to calm him down, them trying to figure out what the hell's going on, right, So it's a little chaotic, but not too overwhelming, but just chaotic. They get everything calmed down and they dig ot this portable DVD player for Daniel to distract him from what was going on. Now there's only the two windows opposite of each other. Craig shut the blackout curtain and then drew the drapes as well, and so they're sitting there. It wasn't necessarily cold, but there's a little bit of chill in there in the cabin from being in the shade, so he lit a small fire just to chase the chill out of the room or whatever before they went in up going to bed in a few hours and whatever. He gets that going and they're calming down. He enjoys another beer, and he just keeps saying, man, I can't I don't like this. I don't like this at all. I don't want to be here. And Marcy's trying to talk low to where Daniel can hear him. She goes, I don't want to be here either. We should leave in the morning. Do we have enough daylight to leave now? And so they're discussing whether or not they should leave right that moment, or wait till morning. Craig's sitting there doing the math, and he goes, you know what, we have time.
Speaker 4: We have time.
Speaker 3: We could get back. We could clear all the area and still have daylight. She goes, then let's go. Enough said, so she tells Daniel shut off. The movie gets stuff on. So they're doing a quick pack, right, which unfortunately happens often. So they left a bunch of the can goods and stuff like that there that wasn't going to perish, a bunch of stuff just stuffed in the garbage bag basically because they weren't worried about that stuff. It was all contained. They had her whatever grab everything they needed. He made sure that the fire was out in the wood stove, which it was just a small fire anyway. Basically, what that meant was he just shut down all the air to it. He wasn't going to pour water in the thing. So anyway, he shuts down the stove. They gather up everything, they get out, they jump on the six wheeler. Now by this time Daniel's beat, and so what he does is Craig sits in the front Daniel in between him and Marcy.
Speaker 4: He has a rifle on a rack right in front of.
Speaker 3: The hannabars forty col and Marcy has a three fifty seven.
Speaker 4: So they leave.
Speaker 3: They're heading back. They're motivated. They're very motivated to get out of there. There's a couple of times he was going a little crazy and Marcy was like, calm down, we want to live, we want to make it. It was intermittent getting the fight or flight, going to just gun in the throttle and just getting hell out of there. They make it back to that large swamp area, and they got a long ways around this way because that's where they initially saw this thing the first time with their eyes. He didn't like the thought of going towards it, but he didn't like the thought of getting stuck out there and being stuck there through the night with his wife and kids, so he opted to take.
Speaker 4: That long way around. It was quick going.
Speaker 3: There was nothing remarkable, and they come back up to this little spit of land in between the tundra because that's where the trail is. When they come over that, they have that shorter area to half moon around.
Speaker 4: Then they got that hill. He starts going around.
Speaker 3: The second area that's smaller, has a little bit of a steeper hill, and it goes up a little bit higher, right, little steeper, a little higher. It has less trees, it's a little more broken up with the trees and stuff. Still fairly dense, but a lot more broken up than the other side. So as there about halfway through, he hears Marcy and Daniel say there it is there, it is there, it is. So he stops and looks, and literally halfway up the hill in behind there were some aspens there where he's standing.
Speaker 4: It's just standing there looking down at him.
Speaker 3: It couldn't hide behind these little spin leap, fricking trees roughly these sides, couldn't hide behind him. Was just standing there looking down at him. And it was silhouetted to where it looked. He said, you can make out that it had like a grizzled brownish hair, the slight bit reddish. Couldn't make out what color its skin was or anything, but he said, the way it was standing was very almost very tall, very robust, thick thing. And so he grabs a shotgun, and he raises a shotgun up and he takes the safety off. As soon as he clicks that safety, that thing takes off directly away boom, And he said it the way it was running boom boom, you could feel it. He said, it was the most intimidating thing running away from him. He felt intimidated from it running away, just from the impact on the ground, how heavy this thing was, how obviously powerful.
Speaker 4: It was just very intimidating.
Speaker 3: So once it's out of sight, he immediately drops that gun back down in the gunrack, leaves the safety off. He wanted to get out of there, so he drops it down, puts one of the bunges over it, because it has these two things that stick up on either side, and he just rest a gun in it. Put one of the bungees over so it doesn't bounce out. When they're going up to hill. He finishes wrapping it around.
Speaker 4: He gets to the bottom of the hill and he has to back up a little ways and get a little bit of a running start because it's fairly steep.
Speaker 3: It's a six wheel, so he'll make it, but he wanted a little more momentum getting at it, so that's what he does.
Speaker 4: He backs up and just guns it.
Speaker 3: Makes it up over the top, and once they get to the top, he hears a tank chain that had a small little Duffel bag that had all their silverware in it, right, because Marcy was real potenticular about using silverware out somewhere else. She would rather bring her own silverware, nothing plastic, legitimate silverware.
Speaker 4: And they kept it in this little miniature Duffel bag.
Speaker 3: It was like a little novelty Duffel bag of some kind with a sports team on it. It fell out from the little dump gate thing and it hit and it tore the bag a little bit, so Kraike stopped real quick. He goes out and there's some spoons and forks and stuff scattered around. So he's picking that stuff up and he's dropping it back in the hole. As he was sitting there, tucking it under some stuff and making sure the little bungee net was covering the stuff a little better, they hear jingle.
Speaker 4: It was off to their left.
Speaker 3: They all turn and he said, it must have been about sixty feet away.
Speaker 4: It was walking.
Speaker 3: It wasn't actively shaking it, but the way it was each impact of the step, it was this jingling jingle. So they watched it walk from directly in front of them, off to their left. They didn't see it standing there. They don't know how long I was standing there. They didn't realize it was there until they heard the jingle. They watched the walk away in shock. Immediately Craig jumps back on, says hold on, and they gun it. They take the rest of time it takes, stopping here and there. Craig would stop and make sure they're not being followed. He shot some rounds into some suspect shadows, you know what I mean, because it was getting close to dusk when they were getting back to that access road, but he was shooting at dark shadows. He was like, don't be following me and my family. So they got back to their friends. Their friends like whoa. And their excuse was, is it just something was wrong with Marcie. She wasn't feeling good. That was their cover story of the friends. They end up staying the night at their friend's house that night because they didn't want to drive from the peninsula all the way back to Anchorage. They were pretty tired from everything that was going on. They shared everything with their friend. Their friends were like, that's good to know. They didn't dismiss them or anything like that. They were just like in shock, holy shit, because they know Craig and Marcy, these are professionals that they're not a bunch of weirdos in the woods. They have professional careers. They're not just about fanciful bullshit. You never know, man, you never know. You got to be aware in the woods. I want to think Craig and Marcy for sharing. I did talk to Daniel. He didn't really have much to add outside of everything because he was twelve year old. There was little things about when he was playing or whatever along the ride, where he thought he saw it, trying to keep up at different places and whatnot. What I want to share with you today comes from John. This happened down about yeah, a mile outside of McCarthy down Copper River Valley, back in nineteen eighty four. Going back a little ways on this one, however, the thing is a lot of people they internalize these experiences and they don't really know what to do with them.
Speaker 4: They really don't. So we'll get into it.
Speaker 3: John Avid Fisherman back in the day love trout fishing, and this particular little lake kid go too, not very big big enough for some good sized trapped to grow in.
Speaker 4: He's on the north.
Speaker 3: Side of the road, approximately a mile outside of mcarthy.
Speaker 4: So John gets there.
Speaker 3: He came from Valdez, just taking his time, gonna go have some fun. So as he he's down there, he starts fishing. The road's right not that far behind him, with this truck right there, right, So he comes down, he starts fishing away, and off to his right, approximately one hundred ish yards, he hears splashing, well, the splashing he keeps hearing. He looks over and he notices rocks being tossed over the alders. What the hell they assume there's someone messing with him. He kept trying to fish for a little while and finally got fit up with it. Figured someone was messing with him, someone was just giving him a hard time. Figured it was a local or something like that. So he stops what he's doing and heads on into mccarth theat a little general store, and he was asking about what was going on. Some of the locals were talking about having aggressive bears in the area.
Speaker 4: Bears don't throw rocks.
Speaker 3: Okay, They're talking about these aggressive bears and inquiring if he was armed, and John, yeah, I got my rifle in the truck, and they're just like, you need to keep it on you that type of stuff. He started his day that morning. Just as he is getting ready to fish, he hears some movement up on the side of the mountains on the shale when he got the binoculars and he's trying to find out what's making the noise, but he just can't find it. He's like, all right, figure, there might be the doll sheep coming down or something like that. So, not saying anything, he continues on does his fishing thing. But anyway, so he's in town and there's this woman that was part of this little group of three. He's got an odd feeling about these three just something was off. He couldn't pinpoint it at the time because he's a little frustrated. He thought maybe they were part of the group, part of throwing the rocks and him not enjoying his fishing. This one looked particularly terrified, was John's words. She looked terrified. At the moment, he was a little frustrated, so he wasn't putting two and two together. But they just kept reiterating big bears, aggressive bears, stay armed. So he just stopped listening to them and just went on about his way because again he was frustrated. He came to fish and he wanted to catch some good sized trout. Go on about his way. He makes his way back over there and figures, Okay, maybe since I said something, the rock doing will stop. And it's been a minute or so, so you know, the fish probably calm down. Maybe I can get some good fishing in. Still, as he gets back down there and he starts to fish again, all of a sudden, the rocks start again, but this time the rocks aren't coming over the alders. The rocks are being flung through the alders with force, and they're good sized rocks. Rocks, said, just some person can't hurl for one, and for two, sure the hell can't throw it and hurl it through the alders where you're here banging off trees and just still flying through. It's enough force to impact the water. So he starts really getting ticked out, like what the hell. So this goes on for a little bit and then he's overcome. He's overcome by a sense of fear, irrational fear, what the hell, because it's adding up.
Speaker 4: No human can do this, No human can be chucking.
Speaker 3: That size of a rock into the water with that much force through the Alders. It was banging off of him, coming ripping through. He gets just shook, is what the hell? He gets so panic stricken that he didn't do anything like crazy. He screws up, backed up the little rise up to where his truck is parked. He throws this stuff in, of course, and he digs his rifle out from the back and pulls it out of the case, shows his rifle, makes a show of having a gun, and he's standing there making a show that he has a gun in the direction where the rocks and stuff are coming.
Speaker 4: Shots fired.
Speaker 3: If a wounded bear comes barreling through, we might hear a repeat of that. So he makes a show and again unrealistic fear, nothing tangible, just these rocks being thrown.
Speaker 4: He's just sparked this fear. So he jumps in the truck.
Speaker 3: He's got the loaded rifle round chambered on the front seat right here, right next to him. He takes off down the road, but McCarthy road as a bitch, and he can't get over ten miles an hour.
Speaker 4: He's got to go real slow. Stay tuned for more sasquatch out to see. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 3: And so Now he's worried about that gun being loaded, so he slows down. He unchambers that round, keeps it loaded, but not with one in the chamber. Right closes the bowl has a sitting there, and he ticks off back down the road, and he's heading towards Chittin, away from McCarthy.
Speaker 4: As he's going.
Speaker 3: Along this road, he keeps getting this overwhelming fear of something jumping in the bed of his truck and getting him through the rear window before he could get around chamber. And how he's going to manipulate the gun and protect himself. Irrational, irrational thoughts, irrational fear. But that was the overwhelming fear the whole sixty mile drive.
Speaker 4: I've been down that road.
Speaker 3: Anyone who's been down McCarthy road washboard Now, this is nineteen eighty four, so I can only imagine the condition of it then versus now. And you and squashed Bait were there last year and it took eight hours, eight hours to go to McCarthy and back. We didn't mill around, went to McCarthy, looked around, turn around and went back eight hours Chittna, McCarthy back to Chittna eight hours. No bullshit, crazy beat up road man. They don't give a shit. So he's going as fast as he can going back towards Chittna, and the whole time it never faded, it never slowed down.
Speaker 4: It was this intense pressure of fear, like something going to.
Speaker 3: Jump in the back of the truck and he's not going to be able to wheel this rifle, turn around and get a shot on it before this thing rips him out. And he didn't know where it came from. It was rocks are being thrown. Didn't see anything, no weird noises outside of the splashes of the rocks in the water. That unknown fear man just took over. And he's not a panic guy. There was nothing to be scared of, not invisible, none he could see. But it was this overwhelming pressure of fear, and that fear lasted all the way through the chitten As soon as he got across the bridge from McCarthy Road to Vietna, it's still it didn't subside.
Speaker 4: He thought it would, it didn't. He went all the way back to Valdis.
Speaker 3: Still panic stricken in a sense, not to the verge of driving to radically or anything like that, but get me the hell home type of thing all the way back to valdis that fear didn't leave him for days. Another part of this, another part of John's experience in the wild is when he went to McCarthy at the general store, he was asking about Barstone rocks, just in passing.
Speaker 4: It was just a stupid question or whatever.
Speaker 3: So he's and what we'll just say, a remote village outside of Valdis.
Speaker 4: He's doing contracting work.
Speaker 3: They're doing upgrades to a certain infrastructure in this village, part of a contract, and he was just a laborer or a worker.
Speaker 4: So he was at this job.
Speaker 3: All these native elders are coming into their dining ten or whatever and loading up on the meal and whatever. So he figured, hey, man, this might be a good time to ask one of these elders about out bearstor On rocks. Just hey, you ever hear Burston rocks. So he walks over to the There's a table of these guys, let's say four or five of them, and obviously elders in the community, highly respected. He goes over and asks them, hey you ever hear Barston rocks. None of them respond to them, They don't give him a look, they don't respond, and they'll immediately take their plates and they leave the tent.
Speaker 4: So, okay, I'm sorry for asking whatever.
Speaker 3: One of the younger guys on the crew, native guy from the village, he was basically told, hey, go to town for us, because weekends coming. It was like a Friday go to town, go get us our whiskey kind of thing for everyone else in the village.
Speaker 4: And he's, hey, John, you got to come with me. So John, okay, So John goes with him.
Speaker 3: The young native guy commitsis telling them that, hey, you don't have a job, you can't go back to the village because you're a bad omen. You're talking about things you don't know about. They're viewing you as the one that's going to bring a bad omen to them because you're talking about it. And he was like a bar thrown rocks and the young guy, the young kid was like, no, the Harryman bigfoot sasquatch. And he was like what because he didn't have it in his wheelhouse, like this big foot Harryman.
Speaker 4: It wasn't there.
Speaker 3: So kid tells him, wh they're in Valadez and is all this stuff is still back across He ends up going back with the kid right his boss is told he can't be here, he has to leave. So his boss has to bring in another guy, and it won't be until the following Friday. So John's stuck there, basically being the pariah of this small Native village, the bringer of a bad omen on this project. And he was just trying to make money. This is back in the mid eighties, is just trying to make money.
Speaker 4: So he was stuck. His boss brings in his.
Speaker 3: Son, and so his son flies in on a charter of the following week and John hops on and gets out. But yeah, it touches on a couple of things there, because you got the unknown, fear, unnatural, there's nothing tangible to just sit there and go, oh, I'm scared because of this. I'm scared because that it's not that, it's not that kind of get down. Then on the flip side, the poor guy, poor John, he goes this village innocent, hey, to bearstow rocks. You ever hear this instant Priya instantly shunned by everyone of prominence in that village.
Speaker 4: The poor guy.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine you're just a young guy, you go for a job and you just hey, guys, bear.
Speaker 4: Throwing rocks instantly cut off.
Speaker 3: It's horrible. But to me, I guess I got twisted. It's a humor, just that kind of It's just so jacked up, man. But the superstition, man, it runs deep in the native communities.
Speaker 4: I can't express that enough.
Speaker 3: The fact that elders choose to talk to me and villagers choose to talk to me is a blessing man, because it's different.
Speaker 4: It's a different world.
Speaker 3: And if you guys could hear the things I've heard as far as what some of these villagers share with me the wider world, just be in shock. Just be in shock. I want to thank John for reaching out and being patient. This has been something to work.
Speaker 4: Works, but I've had stuff going on in the background, just life and other stuff.
Speaker 3: Watch more to come again. Thank you to John. Shout out to squatch Bait. Have my back out in the wood. Same with Isaac. Appreciate you guys. Yeah, man, Alaska's what Alaska's so wild. Thank you guys for joining me. We'll catch you guys on the next one.
Speaker 5: They say, you don't gotta go home, but you can't stay. I don't want to be.
Speaker 6: World oppen.
Speaker 7: Joy this job every day. Came in ricket back, cricket bags, for joy, for me, joy staying right, you come in.
Speaker 6: Right away, Still still stay, said Stills.
Speaker 2: As Baste stake place, US states gainst US
Speaker 6: Pass