Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome back. Today we're taking a deep dive into well, deep dives network design, deep dives at it. Oh yeah, we're cracking open the Network Design cookbook Architecting Cisco Networks.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, I like that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's got it all, land, setup, security, you name it. And it's super practical, which I know we both appreciate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, I'm all about that real world application.
Speaker 1: Me too, So ready to get our hands dirty, let's do it. Okay, So first things first, why is network designed such a big deal.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like imagine a building, right, you don't see the foundation, but it's holding the whole thing up exactly. And it's the same with networks. They're the backbone of well pretty much everything in it.
Speaker 1: True, and when they go down, oh.
Speaker 2: Man, it's a disaster. Businesses can't function, communication goes out the windows, total chao, yeah, chaos. And that's where good network design comes in, prevents those meltdowns exactly. And this book it's great because it really that's that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it bringges the gap between network administration and engineering, which, let's be honest, a lot of us wear both hats, especially in smaller setups.
Speaker 2: Totally like, oh, you need me to fix the printer? Sure? And also can I rebuild the entire network infrastructure while I'm at it?
Speaker 1: Uh huh exactly.
Speaker 2: This book gets it, it does okay, But you know what it really got me excited about this book?
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 2: It's all about real world problem solving, no fluff, just solutions. I don't know about you, but I've spent way too much time wading through conflicting advice online.
Speaker 1: Ugh, tell me about it. It's like everyone's a self proclaimed expert these days, right, and then.
Speaker 2: You try to piece it all together and it's just a mess totally.
Speaker 1: But this book, it's like having a roadmap. It's clear, structured and it doesn't overwhelm you with jargon.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's what I needed like yesterday.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. Well, I think you'll appreciate the seven step design process.
Speaker 2: They lay out seven steps. That sounds manageable.
Speaker 1: It is. It breaks down this huge task into bite sized pieces.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm intrigued. Walk me through it. What's step one?
Speaker 1: Step one is all about understanding the why why are you building this network in the first place? What are the business needs? The technical goals. It's about seeing the big picture before you even start thinking about cables and routers.
Speaker 2: Okay, so define the why first, that makes sense. Then what?
Speaker 1: Then you move on to choosing the right solutions for your needs. Are we talking land wand specific security tools. It's like picking the right tools for a job.
Speaker 2: So like choosing between a hammer and a screwdriver. Yeah, you need to know what you're building before you grab.
Speaker 1: A tool, exactly. And then step three and four are where you actually get into the design of those solutions, the needy gritty. But what I think is really cool and what you might find helpful is how much emphasis they put on gathering the right requirements early on.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, getting the requirements right can make or break a project. I've definitely learned that the hard way.
Speaker 1: It's huge, and this book it stresses asking the right questions, not just the obvious ones. They even give you example, Oh, like what so instead of just asking what kind of internet speed do you need, which, let's be real, everyone wants the fastest, they suggest asking about the types of applications they use, how many users they have, if they're doing a lot of video conferencing, even their technical preferences and dislikes.
Speaker 2: Because those little details can actually make a huge difference down the line.
Speaker 1: Exactly. It's all about tailoring the solution to their specific needs, not just throwing something generic at them and hoping it sticks.
Speaker 2: I'm loving this book already. So we've got our requirements nailed down, what's next.
Speaker 1: That's where we get to the fun part, using the hardware to bring it all together. And this is where the Cisco focus really comes in handy.
Speaker 2: Right, Cisco specific, but even if someone's not a Cisco expert, the principles still apply right absolutely.
Speaker 1: The key is understanding how to match the hardware to your design goals. For example, they talk about how Cisco's Catalyst switches have models for everything from small businesses to huge general prizes.
Speaker 2: So it's not a one size fits all approach to hardware, which again makes sense, but I imagine there are often multiple ways to design a network, right, Like, how does this book handle that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're spot on. There are usually a bunch of different ways you could go about it, and that's where it can get you a little overwhelming.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure, too many choices, analysis, paralysis, all.
Speaker 1: That, exactly, But this book is great at laying out those different options and then walking you through the good and the bad of each one helps you avoid those decision spirals.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, because I'm all about avoiding spirals whenever possible. So how does it help you choose? Give me an example.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's say you're trying to decide between a twenty four port switch and a forty eight port switch.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see where you're going with this, right.
Speaker 1: So the forty eight port might seem like overkill it first, But what if your business takes off Suddenly You've got a ton of new devices and need more ports. That's where thinking about scalability comes in.
Speaker 2: Right, planning for the future, not just the right now.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And this book really helps you do that.
Speaker 2: That's super helpful. What about things that people might not even think about? Like, what are some of the less obvious things that this book covers.
Speaker 1: Well, it gets into power and cooling considerations, which are, believe it or not, super.
Speaker 2: Important power and cooling. Okay, oh min those aren't usually the first things that come to mind when I think about networks, I know.
Speaker 1: Right, But think about it, all those switches and servers they generate heat. You don't want to overload your circuits or even worse. Fry your equipment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, freight equipment is no good, not good at all.
Speaker 1: The book even has this little tip about not exceeding seventy five percent of a power circuit's capacity when you're hooking up network gear, just like a safety buffer.
Speaker 2: Smart. Okay. So it's really thinking about all those practical considerations.
Speaker 1: Yes, And that's what I love about it. It's not just about the techie stuff. It's about understanding the bigger picture of how to build a network that's going to last.
Speaker 2: Yeah, building it to last, building it right.
Speaker 1: And one thing that often gets overlooked but is so important for long term success is documentation.
Speaker 2: Oh documentation. Okay, so not the most exciting topic.
Speaker 1: But I know, I know, but trust me, it's crucial.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm listening. Why is documentation so important?
Speaker 1: Okay? Imagine trying to troubleshoot a problem without any documentation. It's like you're trying to solve a puzzle but half the pieces are missing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that sounds frustrating.
Speaker 1: It's a nightmare. Good documentation is like having a roadmap for your entire network. You can see how everything is connected, how it's supposed to work, and it just makes everything so much easier.
Speaker 2: So it's like if your network was a car, the documentation is the owner's manual.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, exactly. And it's not just for troubleshooting either. Documentation is also super important for compliance.
Speaker 2: Oh right, compliance, because there are all those rules and regulations about data security and all that, exactly.
Speaker 1: And having good documentation can be the difference between passing an audit and well not passing an audit.
Speaker 2: And we all know which side of that equation we'd rather be on for sure.
Speaker 1: And the cool thing is this book it actually gives you the tools and like the frameworks you need to create good documentation.
Speaker 2: Oh that's really helpful. Yeh.
Speaker 1: It helps you figure out what information you need to record and how to organize it all. So it's actually useful. It's really cool.
Speaker 2: So it's not just about the what, it's about the how.
Speaker 1: Yes, precisely.
Speaker 2: I love that. It's like, this book isn't just trying to teach you about network design. It's trying to teach you how to think like a network architect.
Speaker 1: Yes, one hundred percent. It's about taking that step back and thinking about all the factors involved and designing a network that's not just a functional but also sustainable in the long run totally.
Speaker 2: And on that note, I have to say, I'm really impressed with how this book manages to be super comprehensive. You know, it really gets into the details, but it's still so accessible.
Speaker 1: Right, it's not one of those books that's just going to go right.
Speaker 2: Over your head exactly. It doesn't feel like you need a PhD in networking to underst stand it.
Speaker 1: I know. It's actually kind of fun to read.
Speaker 2: It is. It's making me want to go out and design a network from scratch.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, Right, it's getting those creative juices flowing.
Speaker 2: It really is. Okay, so we've talked about the big picture of network design. We've talked about planning and gathering requirements. Now I'm ready to see it all come together. Tell me about these real world examples. How do they actually put these seven steps into practice?
Speaker 1: Okay, so real world examples. Let's see how this actually works in practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've got some great examples in here, different businesses, different scenarios. It's really helpful, like what kinds of things. Well, one thing I found really interesting was how they handled decisions where there isn't like a single right answer.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know. You mean, like when you've got multiple options and they all have their pros and.
Speaker 2: Costs exactly, and you have to figure out the best fit for that specific situation, right, Like is.
Speaker 1: It better to go with a traditional land setup or a unified topology or do you go all out with a virtualized land?
Speaker 2: And this book does a great job of like walking you through those thought processes. Like, let's say you're working with a mid size company and they're growing like crazy.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can see where this is going, right, So they need something that's scalable they can grow with them, but they don't want something super complicated to manage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, finding that balance is key totally.
Speaker 1: So in that case, they might recommend going with a unified topology.
Speaker 2: Unified topology okay, and remind me what that is again.
Speaker 1: So basically, instead of having separate access and distribution layers, you're kind of bundling those access switches into the core switch.
Speaker 2: It's more streamlined.
Speaker 1: Exactly, less hardware, easier to manage, and as much easier to expand as your needs grow.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes sense, but what about security? Wouldn't a more traditional setup with those separate layers give you more control over network traffic.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. Security is super important, and the book talks about that too. How even with a unified topology, you can still implement strong security measures. Oh okay, good, Yeah, like using VLANs to segment your traffic, create those separate security zones right vlands exactly, and you can use access control lists to get really specific about who has access to what.
Speaker 2: So it's not an either you can kind of have the best of both worlds exactly.
Speaker 1: It's about finding the right balance for that particular organization.
Speaker 2: I love that, and I love that this book emphasizes that. Because there are so many variables, it's never going to be a one size fits all solution exactly.
Speaker 1: And I think that's what makes this book so valuable. It doesn't just give you the answers. It teaches you how to think critically and make those decisions for yourself.
Speaker 2: It's like that saying, give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man the fish he eats for a lifetime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. It's about empowering you to become a network architect. Yeah, not just someone who follows instructions.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love that. Well, this has been an incredible deep dive. It has I feel like we've covered so much ground. We talked about the importance of planning, gathering requirements, choosing the right solutions, and of course all those crucial details like power management, security and documentation. It's all connected, it really is, and I hope our listeners are feeling inspired and equipped to tackle their own network design challenges.
Speaker 1: Me too. And remember, learning never stops. There's always something new to discover in the world of network design.
Speaker 2: That is so true. Technology waits for no one. But for now, we're going to hit pause on this deep dive. Big thanks to the Network design cookbook Architecting Cisco Networks for being our guide.
Speaker 1: Such a good book.
Speaker 2: It is all right everyone. That's it for today. Until next time, Happy networking,