Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome back to SOS Stories of Survivors. I'm your host, Serena Dansker, and today it is my absolute pleasure to introduce you to the man who is the founder and builder of empower Change. Roderick Alamania is here in the studio and he's joining us today and he's got an incredible story and he's going to talk about his journey through grief, how it inspired him to build this platform, and where he plans to take it. So thank you so much, Roderick for joining us today.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you I'm so excited. I I just want to start and dive in and ask you, you know who, where did you come from? And in your background and and we'll start there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm the youngest of five boys. So my parents were incredibly crazy. I have two kids of my own, both boys, and I'm just thinking, what the hell was my mom thinking? Having five boys two is like crazy? And I was, you know, it was just it was insane group in a small town. We were like one of the few Filipino families in that town. I went a private, you know, parochial school, a private Christian brothers school called Delsau and Concree, California. And then I went to u c LA. Wow, Yeah, which was fun.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. And what did you study at UCLA?
Speaker 2: And took a ton of accounting classes. And the interesting part was I was supposed to go into public accounting and eight weeks before graduation I called my parents said I'm not going to do that. By the way, I got a drop at Club Med. So I'm going to be in Nassaklahamas working working at Club Med. Oh my god. It was super fun. It's very much in line with kind of the theme of how I lived my life, which is very Carpe dm esque.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so talk to us about that. What did your life look like before grief entered your story?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I just graduated from from UCLA and so I was at Club Med and I only did it for like maybe two months. And it was New Year's of nineteen ninety three. I remember sitting on a dock overlooking Nassau Harbor and thinking, oh, this is a waste. I need to go back and find a real job. And it was, and it was really serendipitous. I ended up like literally kind of was a very compulsive decision or impulsive I should say. And I went home, and you know, I'm so grateful that happened because I got to spend the last nine months with my dad before he passed away, and had I had an amazing time there, I probably would have continued on doing that.
Speaker 1: So I think you just came in and was given you those signs.
Speaker 2: Man, you know, oh crazy, I'm super super fortunate. So literally, I came back. I worked as a customer service representative at Bank of America. Wow. And I coached both boys and girls volleyball at the high school.
Speaker 1: My daughter played volleyball back in high school.
Speaker 2: That's so funny, super fun I don't play anymore, but I used to play a time.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. That's awesome. So so talk to me about law. So you came back, You spent you know, the remaining time of your father's life with him. You're able to do that. How did that impact you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, like you know, it was one of those things where I remember he used to wake me up at six because we didn't you know, we only had effectively one or two cars. I think we had like maybe two cars, and if I wanted the car, during the day. I would have to wake up super early and drive them to the train station, the park station here, and you know, it was typical of a college graduate, just kind of, you know, doing whatever, figuring out what my next thing was. While living with my mom and dad. And my dad started getting sick, and I remember we went up to we go up to the mountains and he was a great cook, and I remember he ended up burning the stakes and it's like, kind of that doesn't happen. Didn't help either. I also got food poisoning on that trip, but.
Speaker 1: I hope it wasn't from his stakes.
Speaker 2: I was not from his stakes. It was probably maybe partying too much, as he said. Yeah, but the long story short, you know that kind of this was July September. She started it's not being well, yeah, and you know, he'd go into the hospital and they were trying to figure out what it was. And finally when you went to the hospital and this was I think it was September or late August, and I had just gotten off of work. My mom would pick me up and we were in the room and we found out he had terminal cancer.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And it was like the biggest gut punch. Yeah, it was. It sucked, yeah, and it was. I remember being in he was sharing a room with this younger kid who was in for something that was probably innocuous relative to what we're going through, and they have this privacy sheet and the doctor hears breaking the news, telling him that, you know, he probably have three to four months to live, and we're like, it's this crazy moment, and his kid's probably on the other side going jeez, what thell it's crazy, It is crazy. It is crazy. So we found out and the long story short, I remember it was so hot that summer and we didn't have air conditioning, and we were going to bring him back home and they talked about moving him on hospice. I don't really know what that meant, but that whole next week we were preparing the house and move him back in, and he ended up dying a week later.
Speaker 1: The house. What did you do?
Speaker 2: We had, you know, we hired someone to put in like a portable ac into the house.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so it was kind of.
Speaker 1: Hospital bed and all that our stay in his own bed.
Speaker 2: Was he able to No, he was in the hospital. I mean the night we took him to the hospital that he he he, I recall he came home, yeah, and then we were preparing the house because it was hot, and then he just got really really sick, and I remember carrying him into the car like he was a baby. Oh no, I oh, so kind of kind of full circle moment, so to speak.
Speaker 1: It's hard. It's hard to see our parents get older and especially become ill. You know, our heroes, right, Yeah, and he was young.
Speaker 2: He was only sixty one, wow, super super young. And I mean the tragedy and all this is that he and my mom sacrificed so much. They didn't make hardly any money, and he put us through all these private schools. I have no idea how they did that. And literally, like as soon as his life was begin to turn around, I was going to they were going to be empty nesting. It started doing some empty and nesty things like we finally had some money where they could actually do some travel. And you know, he ended up passing away at a at an early early age, and so kind of it sucks, it does it sucks?
Speaker 1: And how did that? How did his death impact you? I mean, I know you know you were living at home with your mom, your were your brother's there too? Was it just you?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember. I think it was just me and maybe one of my other brothers. The rest had you know, they're graduated in adults, so I think actually I actually don't even remember it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I'm sure you know your mom was leaning in on you guys, you know, trying to get.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it was like more we had to be there for her because it's like they were, you know, they were super close. I mean, they raised five kids, they sent us all off to college. I mean like this was supposed to be the time when they were going to enjoy kind of the fruits of their labor, so to speak. And you got felt a pretty shitty hand.
Speaker 1: Well that that's that's what it's all, you know, you don't. Life is crazy, right, It's a journey. But not everybody gets to live to be a hundred. Right, these plans with your spouse, especially if you're married. Family years where they married, they must have been married a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I came from one of those families where like we had so many relatives. Yeah, Like when I remember introducing my wife and I would tell her if I am introduced you to this person because I don't know what your name is. By the way, she's an aunt, but she's not really an ant.
Speaker 1: Well that's yeah, they're friends of the family because your parents must have a long time. And then it's so hard because as you're losing your significant other anyway, you have all these plans, right, and then you have to pivot and you're broken hearted. So I can't imagine you know, what that was like for But thankfully you were there and to support her and help her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And so you know did that and like literally my life changed pretty dramatically. I got a grill job, not that a CSR is not a fake job, but I got a career job working in media, and I was an early employee of the search engine info seue wow, And so you know, I you know, you know, quite frankly, I was one of those people in the Internet back in you know, nineteen ninety five ninety six who had this amazing windfall financially just because you know, I was working for this really successful company who went public, and you know it was kind of nice. I was able to kind of like do stuff with my mom that we never could have dreamed of doing.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Like I remember she loved Phanoma of the Opera and I remember I bought her front row seats.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you are a good son.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Yeah. But unfortunately this fun story turns dark. She got diagnosed with a plunge cancer and I think it was like nineteen ninety six, ninety seven ish, and so you know, we just made we made the best of it. And you know, was her caregiver and I was there when she passed away. Wow. And so you know, just like that, by nineteen ninety eight, I had lost both my parents. Oh and I was you know, wasn't even thirty yet.
Speaker 1: We how did that hit you? I mean we did you go through a time of darkness when losing them both? Or you bury yourself in work? How did you deal with that? What did you do?
Speaker 2: I probably buried myself in work. I mean, you know, it was it was the internet heydays, so like, you know, there's a lot of work to be done. I definitely was not productive, although I mean during at the time of my mother's death, and you know, thank god my boss gave me a pass on that. Yeah, but you know, I kind of have a pretty much a type a personality, and I think I have a really strong will and I'm very focused on perseverance. And you know, I'm actually a distance athlete. I was a triathlete or yeah I was. I don't do it anymore, but I it's like I kind of, you know, looking back on my kind of personality, but I try to do things that people feel are hard to do, and in many ways, it's kind of my way of saying, Hey, if I can get past this, I can get past anything.
Speaker 1: You know. It's so, did you find that this loss that you're you know, losing with your parents, that it had a profound impact on you? What changed in your life? Did anything?
Speaker 2: Or it's just you know that kind of as you know, when you lose someone you unfortunate, life has to go on. Yeah, and many days, await, many days you just survived the day. Yeah, you know, and you make the you try to. I see it myself as being a very optimistic person. So I've always tried to make the best of the situation. And I mean I've gotten some great cards and some shitty cards too, And losing both your parents, it really gives you the perspective of like what's important?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it sounds and you know, and at that point, you know, I think you're almost like you're you're you're on your you'really an adult, you're on your own. You're you know, you you don't have the strings attached any longer. And and it's hard. I think it's it's it's hard to you know, to get used to that fact. But you can't just pick up the phone and be like, hey, you know, I need advice on blah blah blah. You know, it's it's difficult. What what What in your life did you realize that that your story or what you've gone through could help people? You know, you're here, you are, you're in the internet, you're doing all this crazy stuff. When did when did you pivot? When did you change? And what was the catalyst for that?
Speaker 2: You know, what actually happened recently?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: I wash, Yeah, I was just kind of going on with life. I had a you know, been pretty fortunate in my career. I've had some pretty good successes. You know, my wife is very successful also. And it was when I kind of semi retired back in nineteen or twenty twenty three. Nineteen twenty twenty three was when I kind of really started taking a deep breath on kind of realizing, you know, just taking a step back. You know, when you're working in the startup space, it's could be pretty intense. So like, I never really thought, quite frankly about my grief journey at all. It was like, you know, it's like life is. I'm just going to live my life. Like literally, in many ways, what I did is kind of a tribute for my parents. It's like I'm going to go get these wins that they couldn't experience. I'm going to be able to travel and you know, I had a couple of fancy cars, like eat it cool places, do really interesting things and in many ways, sorry, oh.
Speaker 1: That's okay, I can take a breath. It's it's a lot, you know.
Speaker 2: It was it was like it's a win for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. You know, it's it's your parents are you know, you want to make the proud, and it's it's you want to you know, do things for them that they couldn't do and hope that they're watching down. And I know your parents are watching down, and you know they're so yeah.
Speaker 2: Loud, I say, you know, maybe this started back in twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen. I also lost my older brother a couple of years ago. He had a long pow of diabetes and I'm so sorry he passed. He passed away. God, that day was so surreal. I was after my kind of like, I've worked a whole bunch of different Silicon Valley startups, and in twenty sixteen or twenty seventeen, I decided that I was going to become a startup ounder and I founded my own company Wow. And I remember being in a when my brother died. He was in I think Colorado, and I got to say basically goodbye to him on the phone. I mean he obviously wasn't isn't really there, but I got to say goodbye to him. But it was such a surreal day because I went straight from that into a pitch meeting with some investors.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And it was just like, so, Surrell.
Speaker 1: How do you you know you pivot from that? I mean, that's that's crazy. You just put on the game face and you just go into work or yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean literally I just said, hey man, spiritful disclosure. I just got the phone my brother he passed away, so to share with me, And they were super cool about it, and actually some of them ended up investing, not because they felt sorry, it's a pretty cool idea. Yeah, but that was just a really surreal, surreal day. And yeah, crazy, that's crazy, quite frankly. I've had a lot of loss in my family, some through tragedy that kind of two nieces that I do effectively violence, which is horrible. Unfortunately, We've dealt with a lot of loss, but I've just kind of always kept the mindset of, you know, it's like story from Finding Nemo, just keep swimming, Just keep swimming.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's that's what you have to do. You know, it's it's a journey, right, And I don't know why why so many young people are, you know, pass on and for all various reasons, but it's it's it's hard. And you know, losing a sibling is is you don't you know your parents who expect you know, although it's at a young age, is difficult, but you expect your parents to go. It's a natural order of things. But to lose a sibling or a child or a niece, it's it's so so hard. So let's let's talk about you know, how you how you use your grief to pivot a little bit, and and and what happened in twenty twenty two or twenty twenty three when you decided to retire. I guess it was kind.
Speaker 2: Of wake up call. This was right around COVID, right, and you know, running a startup, which I ran for six years. We've raised several million dollars. And that is not being a startup founder, especially a first time founder. It's not a job for the faint of heart. It is I can't imagine, it's right, It's really and hard. Yeah, I could just imagine.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: In twenty two was particularly a very challenging year for me. I got a injury skiing which set me back big time my uh torm a CEO, I fractured my pelvis, caught COVID in the hospital during this whole thing. I mean, it's like just was like the ship show year, like, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, that you were challenged on every level.
Speaker 2: I mean I had had these heart palpitations. So in twenty twenty two, in addition to dealing with a startup and you know the pressure around that and these injuries, I had a heart ablation at aco surgery. I'm keeping this startup Alive unfortunately became the largest investor, and right at the end of twenty two twenty two, we found out my wife had breast cancer.
Speaker 1: Oh like one bad heart after another. Oh my god, how much could we make Roderick take the universe? Let's see how much before he came? Did you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: What's an interesting is you know when you go through this, knows it's like that that's my parents and my brother, and it's like prepares you for Hey, it's actually not that bad. Like even although remember being incredibly stressed out running this company and making this are we going to make it or not? Decision? I realized I made the decision in January of twenty twenty three. I'm done. We're done with this. I take care of my wife, Like there's more to life than you know, running this trying trying to build a startup, and so shut it down. And you know, luckily my wife got amazing treatment and right around June of twenty twenty three. People will probably last this. I'm old school. I still go to the Yahoo homepage. Actually like how they lay it out. And this isn't a non seculary story. I read a story about that Congress, who was the founder of Elizabeth Smiles, and he was building the equipment of like a social network for kids who were about to lose a parent. And obviously I was like, Wow, that's pretty awesome. And I know how even being in a villa, I know how shitty it is to lose a parent. And so I literally went to their website, saw the info, send him an email. Hey, my name is Rodrick Alamannia. Here's my LinkedIn. I've done some really cool stuff on the Internet. I've built businesses. I see what you're trying to build. How can I help?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: And Jeff Kimball, who's my co founder, who you also has also been on your show, responded to my email. And the sad part of the story, I never got an opportunity to meet Nick, like within two weeks he passed away. It was crazy. Wow. But I was helping Jeff with Elizabeth Smiles and when wounded down, Jeff and I, you know, Jeff had been trying to get me to engage full time with them, and I said to them, Hey, why don't we just create our own nonprofit focus on grief.
Speaker 1: Wow. That was the start of empower change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that was the start of empower Change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did how did? How did you feel about like starting this you know, new endeavor at this you know, at this juncture.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well I told Jeff, hey, we're going to do this. And by the way, Lisa's smiles was my first real experience working with the nonprofit. I basically said, hey, you know, like we need rock stars working here, like, you know, I want to run it like a real cup, like a like a startup. Basically, I don't want to be continuously fundraising because I felt like the nonprofits that I did I have visibility to and as I learned more about the nonprofit space, I feel like probably the majority of them spend about eighty to ninety percent of their time fundraising and about ten percent of their time actually focus on their mission. Yeah, which absolutely sucks. Yeah, And having fundraised for the last six years from my startup, I said, okay, we're going to do this. We need to figure out, like how can we make whatever we build scale? And cann't have a business model beyond gaining donations. Wow, So what we did was we spent you know, Jeff was working at another nonprofit luckily, since I was kind of retired I took all the mechanics of starting a business and everything I learned in my career, and I tacked grief and solving grief the same way that you would try to solve for a problem at a tech startup. Wow, what's the market opportunity, what are the pain point? You know, what is your solution? How are you going to make money? How you're going to get in the hands of customers? You know, who are you users? All all those things. And we spent eighteen months really kind of looking at this, and I quickly came to the conclusion that there's a lot of brief resources out there. But when you start looking at the statistics, what's interesting is that seven out of ten people who are going through grief don't do anything, don't get any sort of help or support. And that doesn't necessarily mean that you need to see a therapist, no, But you know, then there's the other thirty percent who luckily are strong willed. But that's seventy percent. That's an amazing that's incredible.
Speaker 1: That's an incredible number. Seventy percent of people who are grieving, you know, just just swallowing that in that and that that that darkness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Jeff and I started looking yea, Jeff and I started looking at why yeah, And so I started looking at what are the reason verses that are being offered to them. And we started looking at that not only what was being offered, but how it was being offered. Our go to market for what we're building is hospice. You know, I've experienced hospice both times. And you know, as an example, we look at what are the support systems that hospice offers a lot of times they might give you some material, they'll make phone calls, but when you are going through grief, you're like not operating at the same capacity, Like you just want to isolate. You want to you know, you don't want to you need to be around people, but you don't want to be around people at the same time.
Speaker 1: Well because you feel bad because you feel like you're a downer. You know, you walk into a party and you know it's like, oh, there's the woman who lost her son. You know, it's immediate like party goes you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and plus you know you're just kind of this whole grief mindset, like you don't really process information that well. No, and when I started looking at kind of how we are trying to get people to get help. It's totally broken. Like you can have the best briefing coordinator at a hospice and they have the best heart, but if you're not ready to talk to them because where you are mentally, they're never going to break through to you. And I mean, look at the context. They don't know you. You know you're there to help them, but like you're having a hard time helping yourself. If you're given information. A lot of times, the information that I've seen can be very clinical. I'm not saying all that is.
Speaker 1: It can be information too, because I can't tell you how many times, you know, with my mother, you know who's going through stuff right now, they give you like a packet. I don't have time to sit there and read through everything. I don't have the mental capacity to understand everything i'm reading either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly. It's too much information for the graving mind. Yeah, it really is. So what Jeff and I decided was, you know, what our mission is is to effectively make brief support more approachable and accessible. And you know another thing when you look at count grief support is look at, for example, if you're working for a company, you have an employee Assistance program in EAP, and I looked at the EAPs grief counseling services and sometimes there are PDFs that are just they're just poor. It's just poor execution at the end of the day, like poor, poor, poor execution. And so the problem we're trying to solve and and a lot of times it's only meant for a person working where there might be a family member who needs this, And so accessibility is the other issue. It's like main point with hospice, main point of contact. Well, if you're coming from a big family, there's a lot of people grieving that need to be served.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like I'm going to say, hey, dude, check out this. Uh hey broke, here's a pamphlet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, exactly. It's it's hard. Wow. So, so how do you support people? How? What is how does empowered change change the way the world is working right now?
Speaker 2: Well, the crazy part is a lot of the grief support is being done. I mean there's a lot of stuff being done online, but nobody's going to it. We're fixing the problem that nobody's going to So we're not actually creating the support services themselves. But what we're doing is we're creating almost like the catalysts so people actually start using them. And the way we're doing that is basically guiding someone through kind of the bereavement process, whether.
Speaker 1: It's I got chilled, wow.
Speaker 2: You know, before the person enters hospice, they could be in palliative care. I mean, it's part of our vision, which there's a lot of absolutely a face or they're just entering hospice or even post hospice. A lot of brief characters have until the person's died. But as you know, when someone is like your mother, like you know she's going, Like when you find out someone's on their left, you know, if in hospice, you've already started grieving.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you grieve as soon as they're not the person that you that that they're raised you, that you know they're they're they're they're not them, you know, And and it's it's heartbreaking. I got to tell you about every time I visit I visit my mother every day, and these hospitals and nursing cares and it just breaks my heart. You know, it's it's just devastating, it really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So what we're trying to build is really kind of think of it like a media company, okay, where we're personalizing the grieving experience. We're starting with hospice. So hospice we know someone's going to pass away, we know what their family, you know, if they have family, if they have kids. The hospices know this, We probably have some knowledge of like what are their religious beliefs or their values. And the idea is instead of engaging them on our time, which is hey, I'm a breeven counselor you want to talk now, let's just put it online. Most of the stuff isn't online, and if it's online, it's not done in a very kind of native fashion. Like our vision is, if we know that the person is a Asian man who lost his wife, who has two kids, we're going to create. What we've done is we've mapped out the journey of all the things that you need to do, not just around bereavement, but around what're all the things? What are the things? How do I tell work? How do I tell my kids? All those things? We basically kind of created the journey, and what we're creating is almost like a video tutorial, except for the person who's going to take you through the video tutorial kind of not your circumstances. It's like, hey, if it's an Asian man, deally, it's an Asian man who's basically saying, hey, dude, I've gone through the same thing. Yeah suck, Yeah, I mean, And our first thing isn't about giving you advice. We you know, we say greet doesn't begin with advice and begins with feeling understood. So step one is to tell the person, hey, man, we understand you. We're giving you this personalized experience. We understand you, and you know this sucks, but you are going to get through it, and let me give you all the you know, they'd we give you kind of all the things that you need to do. So we're creating really short form almost think like TikTok videos, short form video modules, walking people when they're ready, on their time, with someone who's kind of looks and feels like them taking them through the process. And we're not hiring actors. We're finding people from the community who have been through this. And one thing that's amazing about the grief community is that people have gone through grief that are further down that path want to help the people that are just starting down the path.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's that's why I do this. This is a platform to help people. And that's but you know, your story is amazing. It's so cutting edge and really really needed in this community for people. I mean truly, Roderick, this is this is brilliant.
Speaker 2: I mean, thank you so much. Yeah. The thing that I think that's been amazing about this whole experience. I've sold advertising on the internet and I've worked for different sas companies, and this is the first time in my whole career where we connected two people who had similar experiences with grief, and never before in my life I said, Wow, what I did actually is meaningful to someone, like really really meaningful. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: It is so frigging cool. It really is. Because you need that. You need community. I mean, I think in all of the struggles throughout my life, what has gotten me through them is my community, my friends, the people, my my my twe my church. You know, those communities are who help me get back up and wipe the dirt off my knees and make that movement forward one step at a time. Because I had support, I had community, and it's it's so important for resilience to how do you know, how do you bounce back when you've been knocked down so many times in your life? You know.
Speaker 2: And that's the strength of what we're building. I mean, online by definition is all about community. And you know, the reason why the social media networks are what they are is because people find people who are like minded.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know the interesting thing about from the business side of what we're building, I don't really need to build the services. I just need to build basically that bridge. It's people using the services, like I have to start an online community. The communities are out there, people just need to find them and be connected with them. Yes, yes, so that's what we're doing on the product side. But you know, as I mentioned, we have to build a product that can someone wants to pay money for, right, right, And this brought up the interesting question is why we spent so much time on building this business. It's who is our user versus who is our customer? Oh and you know our user is anyone grieving, yes, but our customer. And this is one thing about running, you know, about building a business. We need customers. Yeah, business small, and that's that's the hard part about nonprofits, you know, they're reliant on donations all the time. We spend a lot of time looking at the business side of the equation. Take Hostage for as an example, grieven coordinators are a cost center. And given everything going on in the world right now around every business is typening, it spelt no one wants to invest, if anything, they want to cut. I mean that's the whole thing about an AI, you know, it's like, how can I cut head count? And so in building solving this human problem that I just talked about, we also had to solve a business problem. And knowing that hospices probably will not invest in briefing services because they don't make money, we had to solve a business problem. And so this is where a lot of my kind of startup experience and mentality came into play. And it took us made a step back into the hospice space and say, okay, this is a cost how can we give them a financial incentive to to adopt what we're building. We're building almost like a software platform, right and when we start looking at how hospices acquire customers and they call it census, you know, we call the Customer Act. Then they call they call it census growth. The service we're building can actually aid them in acquiring new customers because now they can start offering services before someone's even a customer of theirs, Like, hey, if you're if you're going through REEF, here's a free resource that we have. So now we're directly tying the support that we're building to a business objective. The other interesting component about this, and not to sound like an to capitalist, but there is a boatload and there is a massive market for afterlife post life services, whether it be state attorneys, funeral homes. Obviously you've been through that. You know there's different services, and you know, again looking at this obtusely, in many ways, I had to compartmentalize this. It's like, if I'm able to build a distribution through these hostices, there's some there's a media monetization opportunity where we can sell sponsorships, those sorts of things, and they can effectively fund the platform. Wow. So for the hospices, I'm giving them something that gives their patients better care to help them acquire customers. They don't have to hire additional headcount, and the thing is effectively what I'm building is an old school and media company online. So financially speaking, what we're building is not expensive to build. It's very cheap to build, and we can scale it.
Speaker 1: That's it's just brilliant and and and but more than that, you know, it's you're helping people, and you're you're you're building a community, and you're you're educating people you know what what's out there, and and and also you're able to make a business and make a profit or you know, uh, help businesses invest in your platform.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, interestingly enough, you know what start offs a non profit. We spun out a public benefit corporation that the nonprofit is an owner in, and it is built specifically so it can do for profit deals and we can let the nonprofit. You know, it's still focused around the nonprofit, but this entity allows us to work with for profit companies and the way that we're structuring it, this will be the business model that sustains the nonprofit and ideally I won't have the fundraise.
Speaker 1: Wow, but how does the privacy come in? Like, because they're so strict about the hip and the privacy and all of that, does that come into play here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, So the way that we thought about it was that what we build will live on the hospices domain. So I'm like a software as a service, so I'm not sending anyone to my website where I'm collecting the data. It lives effectively on the hospices cloud, so to speak. So it's their data. And you know, I have zero interest in and like having ownership or even partial ownership on the data. I mean, like still, ultimately this is driven by the mission, which is to make grief support, you know, approachable and accessible.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's it's absolutely incredible. All right, I'm going to shift skiers a little bit. I'm going to do like a little around kind of a one word Uh, I have a little fun, you know, but all right, let's let's try one word that describes your grief journey.
Speaker 2: What do you think ongoing? Really ongoing? Yeah, I mean, like you know, like I didn't realize I was going through this grief journey all these years and kind of you know, since then, it's gone going.
Speaker 1: Well, depend on the same token. One word that describes your healing right, because you are you're healing from from doing this right with one one describes.
Speaker 2: That It's called transformational.
Speaker 1: I love that I do, because it's true, you are we we do. We change when you go through something trauma from where you were to you don't even see the change happening, and all of a sudden you've become a whole new person. Not that there was anything wrong with you before, but it's like the caterpillar into the butterfly. You know, you just want you transform, you emerge, Right.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting. One of our investors lives in Asia and he talks about the seasons of life, and you know, I'm kind of, you know, for lack of a better word, in kind of be giving a season of my life. I've been fortunate enough to get a lot out of it, been through a lot, but I've also gotten a lot. I'm fortunate enough to retire at a really relatively young age. And you know, like what's really fun about this, which was weird to say about working in a grief grief company, is that I've been able to take something I'm super passionate about and combine it with my background, which is around kind of technology and startups. And you know, it's innovation and technology, it really is.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just like, you know, all the pieces of the puzzle just came together, which is amazing.
Speaker 2: Really, what's interesting about our business is that the really interesting opportunities when we go after corporations and their employee assistance programs because you know, the business problem or solving and as had mentioned that companies lose over one hundred billion annually in the US, the empathy dot plump due to grieving employees and incredible and you know, obviously there's the altruistics set of a company, but like we're also dealing with, these companies are in the business of making money and being profitable, and so if we can give them something that not only helps from plays but helps their business. Yeah, and it doesn't cost a lot, it's a win win. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's that's just oh my gosh. All right, let's go back.
Speaker 2: To my one, the speed Rone.
Speaker 1: What's what's what's a song? A song that brings you comfort? How's that.
Speaker 2: Dropped to Jupiter from train? You know this batory on that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well it was with his wife, right there was.
Speaker 2: His mother, his mother?
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me tell me because.
Speaker 2: I yeah, well, train was I was watching VH one behind the music a couple of let's go on it, and train was trying to find this hit song, and he had just lost his mother, and you know, the songs about like his his mother being in the atmosphere and you know, they made this amazing hit song, but it was you know, basically part of its kind of whole healing journey.
Speaker 1: I love You know, so many people artists that have have written songs about grief. They're they're just they're so powerful. You know, you don't even stars go through the grieving process like we do. It's just it's it's and it comes out in there in the words and the lyrics and in the rawness and the tenderness when they sang I Love Love Train and one of my favorite favorite groups, what I.
Speaker 2: Love about that. Also, there's also this whole element of hope around it too, Whi's that's not not about the doom and gloom of grief, which which is really kind of you know, part of what we're trying to do is show people, yeah, give me someone it sucks, but it doesn't It doesn't mean it has to be the end of your life, like you'll still be sad, but it doesn't mean that you can't find still can't find you know, it's just as like can be both beautiful and brutal at the same time when you're grieving and you know you can. It really is you know, you can still have a fulfilling life, even it will never be the same, but you can still have a.
Speaker 1: Fulfilling Yes, but it can be still be beautiful and it's you're forever changed when you go through this. Yeah, how about one word that describes and power change?
Speaker 2: Authentic?
Speaker 1: Oh? I like that.
Speaker 2: You know this isn't about you know, my condults and thoughts and prayers. This is about us saying hey man, this sucks, but you know what, let me get you through it. Wow, I'm going through just what you. I've already got through what you And yeah, it absolutely sucks, but let me tell you all the things that you need to think about. But we tell you about it in a way where you can digest it and if you forget it, you can go back to it and it's done in just like a way that's just totally approachable.
Speaker 1: That's so crazy, so awesome.
Speaker 2: I think this is going to be really important for men. Yes, as men, you know we you know men or men, we have this machisimo bullshit.
Speaker 1: You don't show you vulnerability. I mean, that's that's the thing. You haven't been raised that way. You guys all hold it all in, whereas women, you know, we're allowed to be vulnerable, we're allowed to let let it out. You guys, I feel it's detrimental to your health because your shoulder so much and you hold it all in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, obviously it's gotten lot better. People are a lot more forthcoming, Like I don't stress out telling people I see a therapist. Before it'd be like, oh, why are you seeing a shrink man? Now it's like who doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, exactly exactly. That's I know men need this, men need that support. It's it's it's we all need support. But I think you know the men need it more right now, you know, Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I always applaud you know, when people who are kind of famous, whether it be an entertainment athlete, when they show that vulnerability because you're just like, man, that that person, that dude or that woman, and who's amazing is going to you know, they're all going through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's you know, grief affects all of us, every one of us. I don't care who you are, what you do for a living, you know, and it doesn't matter how old you are, It doesn't discriminate. It just affects all of us journey, right, it's part I think it's all part of our journey. You know. We we go through some of us go through more than others, but but we all have our crosses to bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, What do you wish people understood about grief?
Speaker 2: It's cyclical.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: It comes and goes. It's not like, all right, your mom or your dad or your brother passed away and six months you're going to be like, No, Like, it doesn't work that way, and you can't feel guilty if you have great days. No, Like, it's unfortunately, life goes on. Life's for the living, and yeah, take advantage of it. Yeah, because you're fortunate that to still be alive.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly exactly, And and keep their memory alive, you know, stories about them, you know, keep their their spirit alive because I believe their spirit surrounds us always, that their energy is still here, and you know, it's just uh, it's just in a different form now. And if someone was listening right now that feels broken by grief, what would you want them to know?
Speaker 2: You can still live a fulfilling life. Mm. You know.
Speaker 1: That's so true.
Speaker 2: You still can live a fulfilling life. You know, I still don't know if I properly morened. My first advisor, who was one of my close friends, a guy named Carl Lipstum, passed away last year. He was he was he's on my board of the Power Change.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And he had the biggest personality. Oh my god, this guy had such a massive personality like you'd alta say stuff like on like Donkey Kong. I mean, he was just amazing. He worked in the video game industry, and anyone in my video game friends, uh, hear me talking about this. I like that Carter was. He was just awesome. And it was a tough loss for all of us. Yeah, but even with his passing, life's gone on and there's been some good things that have actually happened. So it's you know, going through grief doesn't mean it's time to throw him a towel, say anything. It's it's get your ass up and start living your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, because yeah, life. You know, there's no guarantee that tomorrow is coming, right.
Speaker 2: No, there's none whatsoever, none whatsoever. And you know, what like, focus on what you can control. Like when I look back on and Carter, I think, oh, man, I should have done this with him. I didn't. Yeah, we were both he was traveling and yeah, I didn't get a chance to connect with them before he passed away, because obviously I didn't know he was going to pass away. But you can't live with the ifs. It's not going.
Speaker 1: Rabbit hole, man, it's a rabbit hole that there's just you just bury yourself in that. There's there's no shuitar cut of woods. You just gotta You can't change the past, and dwelling in it does nothing for you. Yeah, from it and and and live for today. I mean even even sometimes I see the younger people, my kids included, they're so focused on the future they forget to enjoy the moment, the presence and uh, these are important times. Especially customer is not guaranteed.
Speaker 2: It's like the people who are stressed about about the Christmas is a holiday meal, It's like enjoy being around with pop are Yeah, you know who gets up. You're eating on fine china or a paper plates. Just enjoy the people.
Speaker 1: Find china every day for my everyday place. Why and why not. I put them in the dishwasher and it's a holiday every day. Oh my god, Roderick, thank you so much for your honesty, your courage, your your wit is just incredible.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I usually close out every episode with a poem that my late son has written, and I try to gear it a little bit towards our talk, and I just I know what a loving community empower changes. And my son wrote a poem about camp and how you know, empower change makes people feel that warmth kind of relates to this. So if you bear with me, I'm going to read through this poem. As I look around myself, I feel so compelled to smile and hug. The vibrations and energy coming off others cause a chain reaction that factions the result of happiness. Happiness is different for everyone and anyone, but all people conjugate you, the source of power that people associate love, kindness, smiles, and hugs. Even though there are so many bugs, Camp is a place where anyone can be anything, but most are true to themselves. Camp is a place where people's true colors are shown, where people accept others for who they are, not for who they know. Camp is a place to learn from others and not just stick to yourself. The concept of acceptance is easy to grasp, but not to execute. Most people to reboot, go back to the lines that society draws for them. Most people can't comprehend how a few nice words could mend a broken soul that almost feel off the deep end. Can't people know this? And now you do, too, Spread the word to stop the impending doom that so many souls see so soon. So he was fifteen years old when he would write his heart out and.
Speaker 2: This is oh my god, when he wrote that exactly for a boy.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, yeah, yeah, he was. He was a deep soul. He was an old soul. I like to think, and I just I love that this episode that we're sharing is showing you that grief is not the end of a story. It's the beginning of a new one. It's the beginning of hope, you know. And I'm so grateful for you.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much for having me. I really appreciate it. And it's such a pleasure talking with you.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, thank you so much. And to our SOS listeners, please check out Empower Change. And that reminds me. Fader tell people how they can go on your site. I almost mess this up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you go to empowered Change one word dot org you can find out what we're doing. We have it broken out for we have our business customers for hospices, so we have a whole area talking about what we're doing with hospices. But we're also building out an area right now for someone who just might want to start using our service. It's kind of at an alpha stage right now, but we've put up a ton My co founderd Jeff is put up a ton of videos. He's in charge of all the programming. As you've seen with Jeff, he's just an amazing, amazing person. But empowered change dot org and if there's any really wealthy people there, we're all looking for donations right now until we can take the since spinning so very podcast fundraising fundraising for my my.
Speaker 1: That's that's what you should do and s O S Stories of Survivors. Thank you all for joining us today and I will look forward to seeing you next week. Thank you