Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio an The person who called nine to one one to report the bodies of Gene Hackman and his wife, Betsy Arakawa, was very emotional. The audio has been released of the nine to one one call that led to police discovering the bodies of Gene Hackman and Betsy Arakawa. An unnamed caretaker of the area can be heard frantically pleading for the dispatcher to send someone to the house. The call starts with the caretaker, whose name we don't know, says he believes they've just stumbled across one or two dead bodies. He seems unsure at the time of the call that they need immediate assistance. All the dispatcher puts up a call for the paramedics. The caller repeatedly says damn into the phone while sniffling away tears. He's then asked a series of questions about the patients as the dispatcher calls them. He doesn't have the answer to these questions, like ages genders. The collar does say he can't see anyone moving inside the house. He's not in the house with them, but outside looking through a window with no way of getting in again. Gene Hackman and his wife found dead yesterday afternoon in their home in Santa Fe.
Speaker 2: Very odd.
Speaker 1: She's found in the bathroom, more decomposed than Gene Hackman is. She's much younger than he is. She's just in her early sixties. She's got a bottle of pills splayed out there with her and the bathroom. There's a dead dog in the closet in the bathroom, German shepherd. Gene Hackman's in another area of the house. He appears to have fallen sunglasses off his head. The family came out right away and said that it was carbon monoxide poisoning. But the firefighters, the carbon monoxide company or the gas company, i should say, and the police officers all say there's no evidence of that.
Speaker 2: All very weird.
Speaker 3: He was interviewed this was actually backstage, I believe, at the Oscars one time, when he was asked to his career as an actor.
Speaker 4: The thing that's all I ever wanted to do. So few people ever get what they really want in life. It's a make believe world, and as I say, it's what I wanted to do as a child, and I have fulfilled a lot of my dreams.
Speaker 2: Good for him.
Speaker 3: The ridge of high pressure is going to bring another round of well above average temperatures.
Speaker 2: Today we will see some winds pick up.
Speaker 3: Also look too bad right now, but afternoon highs in the valleys are expected to be well into the eighties, possibly near ninety.
Speaker 2: I think it topped out at about eighty five on my drive home yesterday.
Speaker 3: Mid eighties or forecast along the coast in La and Ventura Counties. But this is going to change because big drop in temperatures is coming. Increased cloud cover we'll see tomorrow and a series of storms moving through the area starting Friday night with a chance of rain off and on through the weekend into next week.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to come home for seasonal effective disorder.
Speaker 2: I'm here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're going from a place with a regular morning fog that burns off to display beauty too.
Speaker 1: That was beautiful yesterday afternoon. Usually the wind kicks up here about four o'clock hour, but yesterday it was beautiful, seventy degrees with the sun, no wind. I'm like, what the heck is this?
Speaker 2: Thank you God? Are you getting out and doing anything or are you just sticking around? It's a touch and go. Every day is different.
Speaker 3: You know, they are talking about record high temperatures in southern California that will happen, and these don't sound incredible. Palmdale at eighty is nothing. I mean, that doesn't seem very warm at all as a matter of fact, because Palmdale gets up to one hundred and teens regularly in the summer. Santa Barbara, though, broke its regular record by two degrees. Santa Barbara hit eighty two degrees yesterday. What is that like? I don't think I've ever been in Santa Barbara when it's been above seventy.
Speaker 2: And I have.
Speaker 1: I've done there in the summer a couple times. In July it gets to be about eighty. It's so beautiful there. I love Santa Barbara. I don't get there enough.
Speaker 3: And then this, I'm I, what do people think we have available to us?
Speaker 5: Gary, I'm really surprised that you would get stuck in traffic or anyone really, as far as I know, working at KFI gets stuck in traffic, especially in the morning, because don't you have guys have an eye in the sky and it maybe have like a hotline that eye in the sky.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, we also have traffic apps and a lot of people have navigation now in their cars and things like that.
Speaker 1: But sometimes there's only one road in and one road out.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's just a crap shoot. And today I got the crappy end of the shoot.
Speaker 1: So, oh my gosh, do you feel a little bit Do you feel a little violated by him insinuating that as a man you wouldn't be able to figure out your way around a traffic situation, like that's not what you were born to do.
Speaker 2: That I don't think he was saying.
Speaker 1: I mean I have I hope that's not what he was saying, because you know, you pride yourself on getting around stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, I have what I like to think is a pretty good sense of direction, even in places where I haven't spent a lot of time, Like if we go to Waco to visit my daughter, I have a pretty good sense of where stuff is and can at least point us in the right direction. Whereas my wife will She'll have no clue. She will go the wrong way for twelve miles before she realizes that. I hope she's not listening before she realizes that she's going the wrong way.
Speaker 1: I feel like twelve miles was an exaggeration.
Speaker 3: Well, it's Texas miles, twelve Texas miles, which is more like one hundred and fifty California mile. It's flatter there, but I have a pretty good sense of direction. And now that I.
Speaker 1: Still couldn't get your way to work, couldn't figure out the way to get around that.
Speaker 2: Jam boy, Now you'm totally kidding. Are you kidding?
Speaker 3: It's like a Tuesday for me? Hey, Keussy, all right, local politicians are dirty?
Speaker 2: Did you know that?
Speaker 1: Oh God, this is like that story yesterday about there were big drugs in the jails in La County. Yeah, my eyes are being open this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Huntington Park City Hall and the homes of current and former city council members have been searched yesterday as part of a corruption investigation. LA City Hall not the only one. I mean, we could really go down the list. I think it all started with Bell right where we all started going, what's really going on with those people who say that they want to do good for the community. Oh, they're just trying to enrich themselves. Guess what it's nothing new. It didn't start with Bell, it won't end with Bell. It's been going on for a long time and it will go on as long as.
Speaker 2: We have elected officials.
Speaker 3: We'll tell you about the latest Huntington Park operation, Dirty Pond.
Speaker 1: We'll be talking about this anti aging pill for dogs that is clear to FDA hurdle. They say that this means good news for anti aging drugs for humans, but what do we care about them? Back to the dogs. They say that this is going to be It's done by a company named Loyal and they say that they're going to launch this pill under an FDA clearance for animal drugs. It's called conditional approval. What that does is it allows a company to start selling a treatment that the agency FDA is said is safe and reasonably expected to work as they gather additional data to fully prove effectiveness while it's on the market. They say that this is going to be less than about one hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of people that would pay a lot more than that to kell, yeah, keep their animals alive. They haven't said much about the what's the quality of life if your dog is already at a certain age. There are things that come with that, arthritis, cancer, Are you just prolog and the breeding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it depends on the breed and everything.
Speaker 1: So well, they said that the dogs have to be at least ten years old and be at least fourteen pounds. But yeah, I would assume it just means for relatively healthy dogs. I don't think you'd want to extend your your dog's life.
Speaker 2: If it was going through something. Some people the opposite. Some people do because they put them, they put their own.
Speaker 3: Comfort. It's a horrible decision. I've had to make it. It's not like it's it's an awful decision, but there are some people who err on the side of well, I'd be more comfortable if my poopy was with me.
Speaker 1: I was just talking to one of my friends and she had to put down her dog last week, Ellie, and she said that she was just struggling. There was no quality of life. She couldn't jump up onto the couch to get cuddles, like. It was just awful, and she was, you know, she couldn't walk. It was just it was awful. It was clearly the end. And she said, you know that her dog just looked at it. Gave her a look and she just she saw that look and she called the vet and she said, I got to come in. We got to put her down. I mean, it's awful.
Speaker 3: And I can't imagine when we went through that same thing a little more than a year ago, the vet. How many times a day does the vet have to tell somebody, Hey, this isn't gonna this isn't gonna last, and your dog is in pain and discomfort. We can make her comfortable, but it's not good. And I can't imagine, because there was a time when I thought I wanted to be a vet, and I just that would be the hardest.
Speaker 2: I think that would be the hardest part of the job.
Speaker 3: Is every day you're going to go in, someone's going to bring, you know, twelve year old cocker spaniel in there that's been can't move its back legs or something like that.
Speaker 1: It's like working in the ICU. It sounds good, it sounds like a challenge, and then you realize all the death that goes into it.
Speaker 2: The entry door is a lot bigger than the exit door.
Speaker 1: You don't think about these things when you think about certain jobs. You don't think about what what you're facing emotionally. Could you imagine putting down dogs like that? Oh my gosh, I can't even.
Speaker 2: Well hold on to your skirts, ladies.
Speaker 3: The Huntington Park City Hall has been raided by the La County DA's office.
Speaker 2: They have executed a.
Speaker 3: Bunch of search warrants, not just in city Hall, but at the home of the mayor and nine other locations, part of a public corruption probe that they're calling Operation Dirty Pond.
Speaker 1: The warrants were served at the homes of Mayor Karina Messias, council member Eddie Martinez, other members Graciela or Tees, Maryland Santa Bria, the sister of a current council member as well. The city manager was served with a warrant. Public Works department is involved as well. There's a lot of police tape involved the district attorneys as numerous items have been seized from every location, public records, financials, computers, tablet, cell phones, all of that. This investigation apparently began in November of twenty twenty two, and it revolves around the construction of a regional aquatic center at Salt Lake Park Dirty Pond, Dirty Lake.
Speaker 2: Dirty Pond.
Speaker 1: The city allocated more than twenty million to the project has spent about fourteen million. But what about that regional Aquatic Center? I bet it's beautiful, right, They've spent fourteen million on it.
Speaker 2: It's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: A lot of glass, new pools Olympic size, I don't know. Sounds wonderful. What you can do with fourteen million dollars? What has been constructed? There nothing?
Speaker 3: A graffiti covered slumping sign that says coming soon.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's the only thing that's say.
Speaker 3: Now, listen, this is the this is the Huntington this is Huntington Park. This happens all over the place. This is not the exact right use of the term, but this is the turpin rule, as awful as it sounds. And we think, gosh, that can't happen anywhere else, And then all of a sudden we get another story about another group of kids that's been held hostage in their own home by some ridiculously crazy parents. In circumstances like this, we think to ourselves, oh, the City of Bell, you got paid four hundred and eighty thousand dollars for being the mayor of the City of Bell.
Speaker 2: Good thing.
Speaker 3: That doesn't happen very often, And then all of a sudden, something like this happens once again, and well, it's.
Speaker 1: Like John and Kenne been saying it forever, and John, now people don't pay attention, and the politicians take.
Speaker 2: Advantage of that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, if you're not paying attention, they get to be these fat pigs that just play around in their slop and they get to take all of your tax dollars and do whatever the hell they want with it because you're not reading those city council minutes. You're not paying attention. Oh, a new aquatic center for the city where the kids can go after school.
Speaker 2: That sounds great. I'll vote for that.
Speaker 1: But nobody ever circles back and pays attention to Hey, whatever happened with that aquatic center? All that money that was earmarked for that, where's it going to progress? And then you kind of run the risk of, well, first of all, you're living your own life. Is time to be the police of the Huntington Park City Council. You know, you've got a million things to do on your own. And then you run the risk of being the person who shows up and asks questions when you've got the power of what seems like the entire city council that's in on this this criminal behavior. You're going to ask questions before this board who has all the power in your city, You're going to be laughed away.
Speaker 2: That's never going to rise to the level of news.
Speaker 3: And in this case, you're talking about, you know, the thirty thousand square foot, two story, state of the art aquatic center, millions of dollars, right, fourteen million, something like that, twenty million. Imagine how much money is available to be stolen when you're talking billions of dollars at the state level with high speed rail. And to your point, I think this is important because people in two thousand and eight we voted, unfortunately, we voted to start high speed rail, and I think there are plenty of people who seventeen years later think to themselves, Oh, I'm sure they're doing just fine.
Speaker 2: I'm sure everything's fine.
Speaker 3: I voted for it a long time ago because I like to live in fairytale Land, and I sure hope they're making progress on fairytale Land.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a delayed frustration with my traffic.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why I think Fairytale Land sounds amazing, And I probably would ask no questions about Fairytale Land. Tell me more. Is there a castle on the hill. Does it have a moat?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Are there horses? Do they are they unicorns or do they have sparkles?
Speaker 2: They have wings like Pegasus?
Speaker 1: They have wings, they're Pegasa's si pegas.
Speaker 2: I yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Is there a lake near the castle?
Speaker 3: There is a two story Olympic pool, aquatic center. It's all right there in fairytale Land. Newsome, you haven't heard enough of him yet. You're going to listen to the Gavin Newsom podcast. This one is not the one with Marshawn Lynch. He's launched another one. Although I thought he was the governor of the state of California and was relatively busy.
Speaker 1: Did you know how dark the fairy Tale of Rumpelstiltskin really is? Like the original?
Speaker 2: Very dark? Is that the one he pricks his finger on the on the what is it the that's the watered down version? Oh really?
Speaker 1: But I mean the grim fairy tales. Man, when you get into the first in the first the way they were intended. Yeah, first incarnations of those, they are dark and terrifying.
Speaker 3: Vatican says that Pope Francis continues to improve, but his prognosis is guarded. That's the word guarded. I've known people that have come out of guarded condition. Sure, usually you're guarded right after surgery, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not.
Speaker 3: And maybe guarded it probably means different things to different healthcare people. But guarded could just be like, hey, we're cautiously optimistic. We're not gonna we're not gonna give you some rosy outlook like oh, he'll be give him a week, he'll be fine, he'll be playing soccer again or football. But it's guarded because he's eighty eight and double pneumonia is not easy for anyone.
Speaker 1: I am not one to stand up for Gavin Newsom. There's not much about Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 2: That I enjoy.
Speaker 1: At all, really that I can think of now that I think about it. But this whole backlash against him, I think is maybe a little bit overkill. Gavin Newsom is being viciously mocked for launching a podcast, and I'm reading verbatim here. Two months after Los Angeles was turned to ash by wildfires, Okay.
Speaker 2: A couple things.
Speaker 1: Number One, Los Angeles was not turned to ash by wildfires. Another thing, Yes, it was very sad for the Palisade. It's very sad for Altadina, very sad for all of us to watch this happen and people lose their homes and where they built their lives and everything. But all of Los Angeles is not in ashes. Also, it has been two months, and launching a podcast is not labor intensive. It's not like Gavenusom is pouring his life into this new podcast. It's a very simple, very easy, very low maintenance thing to do that doesn't require a lot of time. He can still be paying attention to what's going on with wildfire recovery. I just think if you're going to go after Gavenusom, there's a lot of things to go after this, ain't it Okay?
Speaker 3: I want to play for you the promo that he put out on his Twitter account yesterday pitching the podcast, and I'll tell you what my problem is with it.
Speaker 2: We need to change the conversation.
Speaker 6: And that's why I'm watching a new podcast, and this is going to be anything but the ordinary politician podcast. I'm going to be talking to people directly that I disagree with, as well as people I look up to. But more important than anything else, I'll be talking directly with you the listener, real conversations. What's going on with the cost of eggs, what are the impacts, real impacts to you around tariffs? What power does an executive order really have? And what's really going on inside of Dotsch. Look, there's an onslaught of information that we take in, so let's take it to the sources without the typical political mumbo jumble. In the first few weeks, we're going to be sitting down with some of the biggest leaders and architects in the Mega movement. This is Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 2: This is Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 1: I kept waiting for the pizza boy to take off all of his clothes with that music. Ma'am, did you order extra anchovies? You're damn right, I did leave it right there.
Speaker 2: The problem ever saw that movie?
Speaker 1: No, No, it's like a late eighties early nineties movie where he is a piece. It's a boy who services the board mothers of the suburban town where he dishes his pizza.
Speaker 3: No, when I was fifteen, I didn't watch movies like that where you were nine when you saw that movie. Probably my problem is that he's talking about these national issues. I don't have a problem. I generally don't have a problem with the governor of a state doing a podcast for the reasons that you talked about. He's got people to produce it for him and schedule the interviews and do all that thing. All he's got to do is sit down and bang out forty five minutes with whoever he's going to be talking to. But he's talking about issues that are very specifically national issues. When it comes to the Department of Government efficiency or the price of eggs, these are not things that are specific to California.
Speaker 1: He's been doing this for a year and a half because he's running for president.
Speaker 2: I know, but that's my problem. That's why I have a problem with him doing this.
Speaker 3: If you wanted to do a podcast that was like, Hey, I'm the governor of California, here's how we can make California great again, or here's how we're going to be able to make sure that everybody in the state of California has healthcare, or whatever topic he wants to.
Speaker 2: Do, as long as it's specific to California.
Speaker 3: I'm tired of him running for president but then telling everybody that he's not running for president.
Speaker 1: It's very rare that a governor is just going to be focused on the state's business, right, especially a Gavin Newsom like governor, and he hasn't spend one second being governor. He's been running for president ever since. He's been running for president for a very long time. I like the idea that he's sitting down and talking to Republicans. I like that they're opening up the podcast for the kind of dialogue that I'm begging.
Speaker 2: For to get more out of. I like that.
Speaker 1: I guess it doesn't rub me the wrong way because he has been running for president for a year and a half. I got to get past the Gaven Newsom part. But I am interested to see I mean, I'll listen to a couple of these because I'm interested to see how he handles a real conversation. Also, who is he going to have, Like if he has Tom McClintock on, for example, I'll listen to that podcast of Gavin Newsom and Tom McClintock, hopefully having two very different viewpoints about California or the country or what have you, and seeing how that conversation goes. I think there needs to be more of those conversations.
Speaker 3: What about those points that you just made I think I totally agree with because I want to I want to hear those conversations.
Speaker 2: Also, it's going to depend on who he has.
Speaker 3: You know, are there people that he thinks are the head of the MAGA movement or are they people who are actually legitimately involved in the Trump administration and can answer the questions specifically about what's going on in there.
Speaker 2: Maybe the thing that.
Speaker 1: I think he's going to do is not what my fantasy is of him having staunch Republicans, conservative Republicans from California who care about California and the country on. He sees himself still as the resistance movement. He sees himself as the face of the Trump resistance movement. So he's going to, I think, try to appease all the people who are looking for that Trump resistance daddy. And I think that that's what you're going to get, more than intelligent conversation between real players and the Republican Party. And can we find some common ground or can you explain the way you're thinking to me, because this is the way I'm thinking, and maybe if we can come together and actually speak to each other, we can find some sort of understanding.
Speaker 2: So you're going to subscribe to this podcast.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not subscribing to anything with Gavin Newsom's name on it. Please, I'll listen to clips on Twitter.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: That's about as far as my commitment goes.
Speaker 3: All right, up next, we're about a month in now, the la Unified Annoying cell phone band that we have championed for years now may actually be working. We are now on the clock, apparently a few social media influencers. We're the first to receive the Jeffrey Epstein file from Attorney General Pam Bondi in the Department of Justice.
Speaker 1: Conservative political commentators have been spotted at the White House holding binders that that say on the top of them the Epstein Files.
Speaker 3: Epstein Files Phase one specifically, so those they.
Speaker 2: Read the binders declassified. Huh.
Speaker 1: But they don't know if it's if this is all for show, or if the information's trickling out. Bondie said on Fox News that the documents would include flight logs and.
Speaker 2: A lot of names, but we don't know.
Speaker 1: If those see. I think that if they were names we hadn't known already, she would have.
Speaker 2: Said that, what do you mean she could if there were surprises? Right? Yeah, And I don't know why there's like this is a lot much ado about nothing.
Speaker 3: Could be, like I said, it could be that your reference to Rachel Maddow and those tax documents that were supposed to be so earth shattering they came out to be a big nothing. So anyway, those videos of these people walking out of the White House with these binders have just been making the rounds on social media in the last few minutes. So maybe we will see something.
Speaker 2: Top of the Hour. We're going to get into swamp watch and among other things.
Speaker 3: Keir Starmer, the new British Prime Minister, is visiting President Trump at the White House today. Tomorrow, Vladimir Lensky, the President of Ukraine, is expected in DC to sign this Minerals agreement where the United States gets a share of all of the rare earth minerals that exist in or at least the sales of those rare earth minerals in Ukraine, in exchange for continued military aid that has been poorn into that country.
Speaker 1: LA Unified voted back in June to expand the district's existing cell phone band to include lunch and passing periods, so basically bell to bell right starting bell to finishing bell policy took effact last Tuesday, and LA Unified has reported no major disruptions in the first week. Some schools are still waiting on their equipment, the lockers, the pouches, the other devices used to store phones. The district spent seven million dollars on all of that. Half of schools, they say, chose to rely on the honor system as they await that requiring students to keep their phones turned off in their backpacks. But it appears to be working for when they for the schools that have the stuff in play in terms of kids, like they mentioned at Venice High School that kids now report to their six period class for the first ten minutes of every day. That's where they stow their phones and the portable medical metal cases.
Speaker 2: It's got a.
Speaker 1: Clear locking door and then that's where they finish their day. So that's where they pick up their phones before they go home.
Speaker 3: Some students this is not a surprise, and some students are upset by this policy. I think it's I think the number is somewhere around ninety five of teenagers now carrie smartphones. Fifteen year old freshman at the Sherman Oaks Center for Enriched studies. Says that before the policy, before he had to give his phone up in the morning, he would use his phone to take pictures of assignments and when he would finish his work, and he said, for day to day school life, it's just really really annoying. Banning our phones just makes us more focused on our phones and missing our phones. If they want to get us more focused on our education, they have to make the education more interesting to us.
Speaker 1: There's two parts of habit that is a real I want to punch that kid right in the face.
Speaker 2: Well, there's two parts of that.
Speaker 3: The first one is, hey, Miles, that means you're an addict.
Speaker 2: Right, Miles, give it five days. It takes five days to break a habit.
Speaker 1: That's what they say.
Speaker 2: Five days.
Speaker 1: How about five days you don't have your cell phone in class and see if your dts have worn off?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? OK.
Speaker 3: There was a study that it keeps floating up in the different headlines that I see every night getting ready for the show, and we haven't brought it to the table yet, but it's there's a study that asked people to do away with their cell phones for two weeks.
Speaker 2: I mean just gone. Not that you couldn't look at email.
Speaker 3: Obviously, you still have computer and things at home, but you didn't have this constant thing with you on your pocket or in your purse or on your body twenty four to seven. And for two weeks ninety two ninety one, ninety two percent of people said everything about their life was better. They felt better, they were less stressed, they weren't worried about stuff. And the best part is we we were afraid to give up our phones because we're afraid we're going to miss something. Someone's trying to call us and we don't get the message, or someone the email is an important document and we.
Speaker 2: Didn't get it. It does not fall it doesn't.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing is that we have such a hard time seeing beyond, you know, looking looking into what would two weeks feel like if I didn't have my phone with me. But then when you do it, gosh, darn it, everything feels great.
Speaker 1: You kind of sound like your kid, don't you when you start making excuses for reasons why you need your phone. Yes, well, somebody you may need to get a hold of me. I may need to get a hold of you know, my brother, or you know, my my boss may be calling. It's like you find yourself making these excuses for your addiction.
Speaker 2: Actually, none of that would none of that is going to be the end of the world. Oh I have we have MENSA members that listen to this show.
Speaker 3: Did you know that, I would hope so this one specifically, he was pointing out one of the characteristics that I said that I've been told, which is that I have good directional sense. My wife says that about me. And this was his talk back about about that topic. Oh, I'm Gary, I have a good sense of knowing where I'm at.
Speaker 2: I really like that guy. I really like that guy. I really liked the guy. I'm so good at direct I totally feel that way.
Speaker 1: I think I do that in my head several times a show.
Speaker 2: Oh Gary, I'm good at everything.
Speaker 1: Just because you are, you're kind of infuriating a little bit, just because you market it. Yeah, I mean, if you.
Speaker 2: Could just screw up once in a while, it would help the rest of us.
Speaker 3: All Right, Well, coming up, We're not gonna do swamp. Watch what you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap