Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Walda cutting Hams, the Luna Modre pilot on Apollo seven. Welcome to The Doctor Sky Show.
Speaker 2: And welcome back, ladies and gentlemen, to the exciting show that you tell us you like so much, The Doctor Sky Show with great guests from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, in weather and celebrity guests in the mix. And first I'd like to thank our producer of the radio show, The Doctor Sky Show, Richard Dugan of radio station k ZSB in Santa Barbara, California. That's AM twelve ninety and a big shout out to the many radio stations around the nation that I do, of course air The Doctor Sky Show our flagship radio station here in Phoenix, Arizona, Atar News ninety two point three on the FM dial. Ladies and gentlemen, the legacy of the Apollo era is still very strong in the minds and hearts of so many people, and yours truly recently had a wonderful opportunit unity to speak, shake hands, and share stories and listen to great stories from many of the United States members of the United States Astronaut Corps and today leedies and z I'm a very special guest, Alt Cunningham, an astronaut on board Apollo seven, the first man test flight of the Command Service Module. ALLO seven was the only man to pollow mission. Launched on a Saturn one B rocket and from Pad thirty four at Cape Kennedy, Allo seven was the first man test of the Command and Service Module. The crew orbited the Earth one hundred and sixty three times and spend ten days and twenty hours in space. Our special guest is a retired colonel the United States Marine Corps Reserve retired. He is Walt Cunningham and the author of a phenomenal book, legisds Onleman. If you want to know the inside story and scoop behind the scenes of the space program, He's the author of The All American Boys. Walt Cunningham, Welcome to the Doctor Sky Show.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you very much, and you've got to be really bright because you've read my book.
Speaker 2: Well, sir, I'll tell you one thing, it's an amazing time I'm in history when we talk about the legacy of Apollo, and I'm honored to have you here on this radio show today talking some specifics about a very important mission. After a very sad time in the American space program. This mission, of course, was scheduled to launch as U Nurser back in February of nineteen sixty seven, but a tragic fire, of course, killed the crew of Apollo Ion back in nineteen sixty seven. Welt Cunningham, talk about your time in becoming an astronaut. If I'm correct on this, you were NASA's second civilian astronaut. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Well, yes, I was. But I got there kind of a surprising way, even to me because at the time that I applied, I guess the space program, the human space program is going on for about three years. But if you read my book, you know that I was listening to the countdown for Alan Shepherd's liftoff, and after I heard that, I decided that that was where I was going to go to next. At the time, I was working on doctorate and physics and working at the RAND Corporation out in Sentiment in California. And I guess I knew that I was a long shot, but I had confidence and it was a little bit of a surprise find out that I actually made it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's an amazing story, sir, because we know from our side I'm a civilian. I don't fly anything, and sometimes they say in the radio and TV business, all we do is fly at desk. But seriously, it's an amazing feat to become one of America's astronauts. Tom Wolfe of course, exemplified that in the great book and then movie The Right Stuff, and it's you. I want people to understand, Walt, this is more about the human side of this part of the interview. You know, not everybody can become an astronaut, and simply not everybody wants to be one. So the rigors are becoming one. I mean, you have to be not only one the best in your class I could physically and also mentally, and that today is a very tough challenge. It's going beyond the curve. Describe that because I honored to listen to her. You'd respond to.
Speaker 1: That, well, I should say, the program and the requirements to become part of the cruise in today's program, that has all changed considerably, and it's not very popular to point out the difference, but the requirements and the capabilities of the individuals is different. Probably many of us when I got there, there were thirty of us back in those days, everybody was a fighter pilot. Most of them are test pilots, and it took a certain kind of personality and activity and experience to do it. Today it's changed vastly. Most of them, I think, are probably not fighter pilots or test pilots. Some of them are, and a lot of civilians and you know, females and foreign members of them, So the whole thing has changed. So I just feel, and I'm sure that the way I feel is the way that many of my associates from those days feel, is that we feel fortunate to have lived when we did, because it was a unique kind of program back then, and we had a different attitude, and we could get away with a different attitude that today would probably not really be popular. And actually, of the group that we had there all the way through apollow we actually added we had thirty a group of seven nine fourteen total thirty. By the time we flew the first Apollo, we were down to twenty five lefts. At that time, five of them had already been died off one way or another. So it took a different kind of attitude about it. You had to understand the value of sticking your neck out a little to get ahead, and you had to have confidence in yourself. Some people would say you had to be egotistical. Well, and the squadrons that I've been in in good fighter pilots, yeah, you would say it had a little bit of eagle, but they then scluded themselves whenever they could also, So that was what there was really difference about it in those days. So at the time, it seemed like a competition that I had come out okay in and I felt capable and confident, even though I'm one of the few people there that never knew any one of the others until after I got there.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting story. Ladies and gentlemen, if you're just joining us here on the Doctor Sky Show, a privilege and honor as always to talk to the legacy of American astronauts and those spacefarers that of course know so much about the long struggle to get the space. Space is not easy, it is hard, but these individuals that we're talking today, Walt Cunningham lunar module pilot on Apollo seven a long time ago, launched back in October October the eleventh, nineteen sixty eight, on a fascinating rocket. If you're a big fan of rockets, Ladies and gentlemen. This is not the Saturn five, but the Saturn one B, which is proudly displayed at the Kennedy Space Center lying horizontal. Talk about that rocket if you would, because I've always admired that rocket. It always looked awesome on that test stand or their launch stand. It was kind of like a booster, like a step stool right before it went off into space.
Speaker 1: Well, at the time that we flew the first man flight on the Saturn one B, excuse me, it was awesome because it was the biggest rocket that we had flown manned up until that time, and they had gone to Actually, I think we had two tests on the Saturn one B before we flew it, or sweet tests maybe they were unmanned, and then the Saturn fire course was much bigger than that. But at the time it was the biggest rocket that we had, bigger than anything that the Russians had as well. But what we were doing was trying to demonstrate politically and actively that we exceeded the Russians. But the public today today, if they're not old enough, they probably don't realize that we started off behind the Russians. The Russians launched the first man in space, Yury Geran, one orbit around the Earth. Not significant except that it was the first human that had been actually in orbit around the Earth. Yes, there was about ten months later that we finally got an American up there for the first one. He had John Glenn, who was a marine. There's the first marine to fly and John went three orbits and re entered, had some potential physical problems, but we made it back. At that point, the Russians were ahead. The next thing we did, following I think about four manned Mercury flights, we started what we called the Gemity program, and on the Gemity program that was there to fill the time between Mercury and Apollo because Pollow they're already working on to develop the hardware and they fly the missions to get manned to the Moon. The Gemity program that came in there flew of man missions for about two years. And what they did is they really three areas. They showed that we were moving. We moved ahead of the Russians right then. That was an extra vehicular activity, rendezvous and docking. We had to do those things. We managed to i'd say pretty well perfect them for a two man rocket. By the time the Gemity program was over, we had moved ahead of the Russians, and to this day, which is almost you know, fifty years later, to this day, we are still technically and operationally quite a bit better off than the Russians.
Speaker 2: Story, yes, sir.
Speaker 1: In spite of that, we have been totally dependent on the Russians to get one of our crew men up to the space station, you know, for the last let's say, I think the last time we slew a manned here was twenty ten.
Speaker 2: General eleven, right with the last with the last suddle. But you're right, sir, absolutely, and yeah, time we told something about it.
Speaker 1: Well, here we go pay the price eighty million dollars for to have an American right up there in a vehicle that is really not terribly capable and you're very very tight. You essentially along for the ride because the Russians they're mostly they're vehicles. They can fly unmanned, and in an emergency one of them might have to do something. But essentially it's not the same kind of operation that we've been in. So I'm looking forward to just getting back into the air again with some new rockets and getting back to running our own missions.
Speaker 2: Well. Cunningham of A. Paulo seven is our special guest on The Doctor Sky Show. A legacy of interviews here for the last ten years from great guests who talk to talk and won't it from astronomy, space, aviation and weather. And as you were mentioning the Gemini missions, sir, I'm reading this and obviously this is something that I'm learning. I keep learning about space every day like the listeners do. Your mission Apollo seven was the first to carry a crew into space since Geminy twelve back in nineteen sixty six, and of course the sad loss which we pay homage to on this show and every show that we do talking about spacefarers Gristhomchafi and White Paris in that horrific fire in Apollo one. But your mission, if we can go into some technicals, was an Apollo C mission called the new Block two Command Service Module. Obviously they had to do what top to bottom, make changes to make sure that this spacecraft not only was safe, that the potential for having fire in on board the craft was non existent, and of course you had it what do the check ride for this particular rocket the Command Service module before the great Apollo eight mission to the Moon. Talk about the mission, because this is fascinating on your eleven days in space.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a pretty interesting story that the public probably doesn't know much about, and if you don't mind me taking the time, I'd like to bring that up to date.
Speaker 2: Please please do, sir. We want to hear it because.
Speaker 1: We started the crew training. I mean, they've been working for a couple of years on developing an Apollo command module, but we started training his cruise during the last year of the Geminy operations, and that was let's see sixty six. At the beginning of sixty six. Of course, the public wasn't aware of some of this because they weren't even aware when we appointed Cruise. But the first crew that they appointed was Gus Chris and Met White and Roger Chaffee. Yes, And at the same time they appointed them, they appointed us as the back as the second crew, and that was Loischer on Don Eisley and myself Walts Cunningham. So we started training there in sixty and then we were working for the first time with the North American, which eventually became North American Rockwell, there was North American that had been an expert in preparing for aircraft test life for years, and they were very, very good. It was the first time they've been involved with a space program, and so when they signed our crews beginning sixty six, we began working with him out there. We also have backup crews, parts of them because some of them are still involved on Geminy, But we again began working with North American. We began trying to get that spacecraft that they had thought was pretty well done for them just building it. We had to make it operational from our perspective, and that meant a lot of changes changes. It cost a lot of time. So it got to the point where a about five or six months into that training, they canceled our flight because we were the second man flight and we'd extended the schedule because of all the changes we needed to be made, and so they started trying to make up for that because the big thing at that time was beating the Russians to the moon. Yet today did They were not too sure, but that was what that race was at the time, so they canceled the second flight. When they canceled the second flight, of course, that was our crew, but they assigned us immediately to the backup crew for POLLA one because we were still on what they call Block one spacecraft. All the changes weren't getting made in the Block oup spacecraft, just those that were absolutely essential, and some of the changes that we really thought might be essential, the contractor still had some resistance to against that. So then we were backup crew. We were signed to the backup crew on Apollo one, and that was in the last quarter of the sixty six. Well, we're preparing for the launch of Apollo one the first month or two of sixty seven. It would not have been able to go at that time, but they had been very reluctant to delay that schedule summer there wi same time, that was the end of January, and we were performing a test on the command module and that was the one where they had the fire. But that same test, the same test had been done the night before, the afternoon before, and Wallashaw, Don Eisley and I had performed the test then. But the test then was to check out the spacecraft system. It was very brief. It was only about a you know, twelve or fifteen minutes of actual work on that particular one, but we were doing it with the hatch open, and they had not closed it up and put one hundred percent ouctionen in there. All of the missions up until that time had had one hundred percent option. They flew with flew the missions and that was just fine. But doing that test on the ground, which the next day was done with the hatch closed, and they were having all kinds of problems, so it took a long time to even get to the point where you could try to do that test. Sure, but in doing that you were closed up inside the spacecraft hatch closed, one hundred percent auction, one hundred percent oxygen on the ground in order to have the pressure inside the spacecraft. That meant you're operating at about no. Maybe sixteen sixteen and a half psi. Wow, Now when you do that in orbit, we operated one hundreercent auction in orbit, you're at five pre Because that was funny, Loxton, to keep you alive and keep the operations, Yes, sir. So when they ended up a sixteen psi and they couldn't get the test really going, so they were operating for hours to get ready for it, saturated any materials in there and with auction, and when they had the fire, they couldn't get the hatch open, and they.
Speaker 2: Were so sad. That's so sad, sir. And I remember, tell me if I'm wrong on this, And I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just that we were down at the Kennedy Space Center for a media interview and we were given the tour and then someone there said to us, we're going to take you to an area that the public doesn't normally see. And I said, okay, I'm ready, and our cameraman and myself went. They told us no pictures at the Air Force Launch ray station because they had some kind of secret payload I guess there. But we went over, sir, to the actual launch of the Mercury, and we went to the Gemini stand, which was all kind of all destroyed, I guess. And then we went to the Apollo one test stand where the small memorial is to the astronauts Grisom Chafe Point and I bowed my head and stood there in silence like so many people should. But that's so sad, sir, because you're describing what that. There was this horrific fire in an oxygen environment one hundred percent had an atmospheric pressure which what everything in there was is literally laden and soaked, and you couldn't get the doors open in time when this spark ignited somehow electrical fire. Is that a fair stament electrical right, That's very sad. So I was I was thinking that that was the spot right where they have that test stands, the concrete test stan. They have a little plaque there, So that to me is just an amazing sacred site to talk about the Apollo aer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's that's why we lost on Wow, that's all incredible. Yeah, and follow seven. The few people know that the numbering of it back there, well we now call Apollo one was because Gus Grissom and after he was gone, his widow was pushing on it and guess was trying to get it called Apollow one because it was first man Apollo that it was about the it was the fourth I think it was the fourth launch of an Apollo command mount. It would have been, yes, but when actually when they got killed, they went back to the regular numbering system and that would have been Apollow four at the time. So by the time we flew, and when we flew, it was amazing. It was absolutely amazing because we launched twenty one months later, and we lost a couple of shuttles, and I think the quickest ending one of those got off afterwards, even though this problem was well known for them, you know, even from the beginning of that. It was like, I think thirty one months was won and thirty three months was on. Another way, here we were one months after the fire, and we had paid one thousand and forty changes, most of which you wouldn't think of, you know, kind of for example, just fixing how a switch worked or what position it was locked in, trying to keep from bumping switches, things like that. But then we had some systems changes and all that as well, and twenty one months later we launched. That was the seventh Apollo launch, I said Gustus, and then and Roger. That would have been the fourth follow launch the mission. At the time, we had done everything we could to make it as safe as vehicles possible, but we just all of us knew that we need to go off into space. Even today, Actually you're sticking your neck out a little bit there, Well, that's spacecraft Apollow seven it turned out, and even to this day, it was the longest, the most ambitious, the most successful first test flight of any new flying machine ever.
Speaker 2: Well, this is amazing, folks, if you're listening to the show, of course, and we thank you for doing so. The Doctor Sky Show always gets great guests. How about today's guest, Old Cunningham, Lunar module pilot Apollo seven, talking and reminiscing about the entire early Apollo program, his mission and Walt, I'm going to read something here to this audience. You know what, you lived it. This also has some memorable credits to the Apollo seven mission, the first three person American space mission, the first live television broadcast from an American spacecraft, and naturally, as we talk, the only man launched from Launch Complex thirty four some one hundred and sixty three Earth orbits in some eleven days. You lived it. I got to ask you this, sir, what's it like to ride the rocket the space because I imagine, like many others, Wally Shira had a great love of four gunt event in some many of the astronaut corps. He was like the last person I guess that people saw when they placed people and they like yourselves into the capsules in Apollo and beyond. But what's it like to get into that particular cansul. It's not a very big environment. And what's it like to be launched? What's that feeling like we'll never experience in ourselves. We got to listen to a guy who's done it. Well.
Speaker 1: I have to tell you, it's kind of tough to explain to the public at large that's remote from this, because they always ask, oh, excuse me. They're always asking, you know, were you afraid? And of course I can't speak for everybody, but I'm sure that almost everybody agrees with me and we say no, we weren't afraid. They think we must have been crazy or that we're lying, which is not the case. But fortunately, in those days you had to be a fighter pilot and we'd all been used to sticking our necks out. We knew that we were applying to go up into space for the first time back then, that you were at risk, but we were used to that. It was part of our life at the time as a fighter pilot. So the launch itself went fine, and we were irritated about one thing. We were two and a half month, two and a half minutes late on lift off because they had about a half hour before they had stopped to bring the pressure up one more psi on one of our tanks. I can't remember what it was, so I can remember us being irritated that we didn't get off at eleven o'clock. It was eleven oh two and a half or something like that. So the operational aspects of the way we were and the people we had there at that time was looking forward to that. I can't speak for all of the thirty we had in our programs at that time as to whether they were freight or not, but I never saw one that said he was or admitted he was. We looked forward to make a success out of that, and I have to tell you Apollo seven was really successful.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm hearing from other restaurnauts that the Gemini riote to space was kind of bumpy and rough, but this one on the centern one B describe it. I mean, this is interesting. You feel what this amazing jolt or you feel a slight impression, and then what eight and a half or ten minutes later, you're in another environment called weightlessness, if that's correct.
Speaker 1: Well, it's kind of interesting, and the feeling you think about it, but you see when you're in orbit, we're right close to seventeen thousand, five hundred miles an hour. You're lifting off. When you're lifting off, you're starting off at zero, so it takes a coup several seconds before you can get clear of the tower. And we were about parts of it was maybe a foot away from some of the support material down there. So uh, it started off slow, slowly, we get by it and after after a few seconds and we're clear of the tower. We basically we're just we were long for the ride. We were checking our systems, keeping in track of them, and the ground on a lot of them, ground could still read some of those systems. Yeah, you know, every minute one of us one or the other would make a ground check on the on the audio, uh by time and then there's I think it was all over ten minutes on the on the Saturn before the one be before we got into over. But I don't remember anybody having a father of fear. And we kind of breathed a sigh of relief when we staged after a couple of minutes and dropped the big booster off. Also when we've got rid of the launch escape tower. They did that before we staged the vehicle. Yes, it was just it was an operational feeling that went really almost perfect. Now I can't speak for everybody else, but for me, I never felt any fear and I was just glad to see how it was going.
Speaker 2: Well, Walt, this is an amazing story. We've got a few moments left here and I want to jump join in and have you join in. That is with us and some questions on this. Obviously there was no lunar module attached in this mission, as future missions to the Moon of Foods required. You were docking with the S four B. And this is interesting. It's kind of a technical thing. I'm reading this that as that spoor B was meant to do a rendezvous with simulating a lunar module release out of that particular stage. Apparently one of the big adapter panels never opened beyond the forty five degree mark, so future missions I guess they had those jettison. But that's an amazing thing. It's like doing a ballet in space. I mean, how hard is it to really run with something? It's not easy? Right, Let people know this.
Speaker 1: Who you raised you? Is the question. A few minutes ago, I was going to mention it because I was listening as a lunar module pilot and we had no lunar module. We were in rth orbit, so they listed me as a lunar module pilot. The same way in Apollo eight, the right seat was Bill Anders and he was listening as lunar mogic pilot. They had no lunar module because the lunar module was running behind on its development and it's testing. And what happened. We finally got it on a poll of nine, got a lunar module, but we launched, got into orbit. Did the separation went fine. We were supposed to simulate a docking with the S four B, but unfortunately two things we didn't know. The first one didn't bothers much. Was it was. It was kind of drifting and moving, but we turned around one of the panels that was supposed to they were all supposed to have opened far enough so that he grew up close to the target. We had no winner modular there, but we had a target where it would have been for us to dock, so we couldn't really do that. And part of the fix after that, after our mission is they fixed it so that all four of those pieces of the of the S four B would blow off completely as opposed to just open up like that, So that was a good plus that came out of it. The other thing is we were in a spacecraft that only then when Wahra was flying at that time and he was maintaining position, he was flying formation kind of on the S four B, and we were able to do that we had enough fuel. Therefore it after that for almost the whole time of the eleven days, we were drifting. And we were drifting because it takes fuel to control your attitude and to get to an attitude, and we didn't have enough shool on board to do that. So most of the time you're pointing out into the planetary you know, the system out there is the universe, and occasionally you're looking at the Earth. Occasionally you can take pictures. There's a lot of reasons why we couldn't get a lot of pictures, but that's the way it went after we got intolve it.
Speaker 2: And also something important here a little on the technical side, and you're the man to ask here. The main rocket propulsion on the Command Service Module, the SPS engine, that of course had to be tested naturally before any astronauts were to go to the Moon. So I'm reading in my own research here that apparently when they lit that engine, it kind of gave a nice jolt. Is that fair to say? Or a might be putting that mind way when they first showed that SPS to the power.
Speaker 1: Yes, that the engine did give you a joel. We were expecting it, we were prepared for it. In fact, during our mission we fired that engine eight times. The shortest one was just a couple of seconds to see if you can do that, and then we had I think one was over a minute. On that it felt good. We felt like we were moving, like we were for a change, and you could feel your back against the against the couch that our spacecraft was running so well that they added after we launched, they added four different mission objectives to it, two of which we never could get done. So when we got back they called it one percent successful.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, and that paved the way, ladies and gentlemen. In our interview today with astronaut of Apollo subn Walt Cunningham, to get the next crew paulow eight, to do the circumnavigation of the Moon, most memorable time in history, but Without you, guys, we would never see this great success moving forward into all the astronauts, we want to thank you. Just a couple of quick closing comments here and hear your response on the more impersonal side. You, of course and the crew were invited by President Lyndon Johnson into ceremony on November two, nineteen sixty eight. Unfortunately, at the time, and this is interesting, all these Apollo crews were given to Distinguished Service Medal. Your crew was then given it later in time in the year two thousand and eight. Why I'm mentioning this is because you deserved it, just like the rest of those guys and people who's supported the program. And then on November sixth of that same year, you appear on the Bob Hope Show with Barbara Eden of I Dream of Genie. That's to me awesome. So there's a lot of stories behind the stories. So well, I was it like to meet President Johnson on the ranch? That must have been pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not too far away from Flores Leaver Station down here, it's on a number of casions. He was actually a very nice guy, and we did have afterwards, we had the press conference and the medals presented there at the ranch, that Johnson ranch. He was very hospitable. In fact, when we flew into there, he took us in his car and he drove us around his rants a little before we got started the other question you asked me.
Speaker 2: No, I was saying, you also appeared on the Bob Hope Show with Barbara.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you see what happened that? Occasionally people might know I've got an Emmy sitting out right near my front door here where I live, and nobody ever even asks about it. But we had the first live television from space, and there was some fuss over that between Wally and the ground and there were several other columns. When we got into orbit, Wally got a cold, and well, the public out there thinks that we all had a cold, not the case. I never had a cold. I think I actually coughed once or twice. And he didn't have a cold either, So it's kind of strange. But Wally was operating in a slightly different philosophy than we were. And I'll tell you why. Just Wally in the ground, White was insistent he was in command of the mission, and that's because his father had been an admiral and his grandfather had been an admiral, and Wally said that whoever's in charge of the ship was in control of that ship, wasn't the people outside from the ship. So he's basically established a kind of a negative feeling from the Missigan control people. So they did later many years later, actually, I learned that they tried. They turned off just moving that crew, but I went on into I had already scheduled to go in to the the for our first space station to up there. So for about two years I was running that and I was scheduled to fly that one until Pete Conrad, who had love seniority to me, and he decided to stay and he came in charge, and he was very, very one of the most capable people that I knew in the program down here. So I ended up going out and making a living instead of hanging around and just being a backup that one.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I want to thank you. We're almost out of time here, but stay on the line after we do say thank you and goodbye for now. But ladies and gentlemen, amazing stories. These are the best stories, in doctor Sky's opinion, those that served their country in the military, those that of course, moved on to the special right stuff category. Not everybody should do it, not everybody would do it. But today's special guest Walt Cunningham. He is the lunar module pilot of a future mission that they talked about that it actually happened, Apollo seven, paving the way for astronauts to make it to the Moon. A most amazing story. And read his book, It's the All American Boys, A great book, ladies and gentlemen. This particular man goes into history books as one of the great American astronauts. He was also the book contributor and also a big contributor to the In the Shadow of the Moon Chairman of the Texas Aerospace Commission, and rightfully so, given NASA's Distinguished Service Medal and NASA's Exceptional Service Medal, and to all the astronauts out there, we pay homage today everybody listening to those that perished Apollow one astronauts or some Chaffey in White and many other astronauts that gave their lives not only here in America but around the world to move on to the last final frontiers they talk about in Star Trek. But seriously, folks, the Latin phrase add Astra to the stars is what we talk about. I want to say again, thank you so much Walt Cunningham for joining us. I hope we can talk again and share more episodes this epic journey. Some eleven days in space, ladies and gentlemen testing out all the fine features. Like if you had a brand new car and it was about to be putt into mass production. These are the gentlemen that made sure that everything worked, from the wiper blades to the engine and making sure that the key turned and the engine went when it was supposed to. Thank you so much, Walt Cunningham of Apollo seven. I'm doctor Sky, thanking each and every one of you for listening to this legacy as you call it here for over ten years with our producer extraordinaiy Richard Dugan of radio station KZSB. That's AM twelve ninety in Santa Barbara, California, stay on the line with us. Walt Cunningham, thank you so much for your service to America as a United States Marine Corps Colonel in the Reserves retired. We salute your service, sir, to the United States of remark.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Doctor Sky.
Speaker 2: Thank you sir