Speaker 1: Welcome deep divers. Imagine a moment, a real turning point, not a war, but an idea that just completely shook the financial world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm challenging, you know, the whole concept of needing a central authority for things.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and it's set the stage for something totally new, a.
Speaker 2: Real conceptual earthquake, wasn't it, Especially coming out of that period of well deep distrust in the old systems.
Speaker 1: You hit the nail on the head. It made everyone ask who's really in charge here? Where's the accountability? And that fundamental shift that questioning is exactly what we're diving into today, the world of blockchain and decentralized applications DAPs.
Speaker 2: Right. It started with digital currency bitcoin being the obvious one, but now it's becoming this foundational layer for like a whole new generation of software. It's moving way beyond just money.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah. So our mission today we want to cut through the jargon, give you the really essential nuggets, and maybe uncover some surprising ways these technologies are changing things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything from banking to data sharing, even social media. The goal is that you walk away not just knowing the buzzwords, but actually getting why they matter. Why they matter to you.
Speaker 1: And we've got a great guide for this exploration the book Building Decentralized Blockchain Applications Learn how to use Blockchain as the foundation for net gen Apps by Shaheed Shake. Let's unpack this sounds good? So we hear these terms all the time, immutable, decentralized. For listeners already kind of following the space, what's the really revolutionary part about these Where do they genuinely shift the power?
Speaker 2: That's a great question because, Okay, at its core, blockchain is this immutable distributed ledger right records linked cryptographically peer to peer. But the revolution isn't just what it is, it's what it allows. Immutable means once data is confirmed, validated by the network, it's basically set in stone, can't be altered.
Speaker 1: Okay, locked in.
Speaker 2: And decentralized means no single boss, no central server, no company calling all the shots. The network participants are in control.
Speaker 1: So that's the power shift exactly.
Speaker 2: It shifts who holds the power and where the trust lies. Instead of, you know, blindly trusting a bank or a big tech company, you're relying on math, on cryptographic proof and distributed agreement.
Speaker 1: Moving from institutional trust to mathematical certainty. I like that powerful concept trusting the code, the network's crypto, instead of a corporation. And the book highlights this interesting mix of anonymity and transparency.
Speaker 2: Right, you as a user are anonymous, just identified by these long cryptographic hashes, these addresses. But every transaction, every piece of data added is out there publicly viewable on the ledger, so you get this verifiable proof of ownership or proof that something happened provenance.
Speaker 1: The strange paradox, isn't it anonymous users transparent actions?
Speaker 2: It really is. And the origin story just fascinating. You have to think back to two thousand and.
Speaker 1: Eight financial crisis exactly, global.
Speaker 2: Rest session banks, failing trust in those big institutions just evaporating.
Speaker 1: That was the climate, the perfect storm for a radical.
Speaker 2: Idea, precisely, and into that steps this anonymous figure, Satoshi Nakamoto, proposing this completely different system.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't just about creating Bitcoin the currency. It was a statement, wasn't it That message in the first block?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the Genesis block message the Times three jan two thousand and nine, Chancellor on the brink of second bailout for banks.
Speaker 1: Wow, talk about making a point right.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just a time stamp. It was a direct challenge to the whole traditional debt based financial system. Here's an alternative, peer to peer.
Speaker 1: Trustless marking a new era definitely.
Speaker 2: But you know, while Bitcoin felt revolutionary, the building blocks weren't entirely new. Ideas around distributed computing, cryptography, consensus, those had been around since the nineties.
Speaker 1: So Stoci's genius was putting them together.
Speaker 2: Kind of Yeah, combining things like mercle trees, which were used for secure document time stamping, and hashcash, an early proof of work idea to stop email spam. So Toshi combine these existing pieces into this elegant working system that solve the problem of digital trust without needing a middleman.
Speaker 1: Okay, So with those mechanics established, the book points out that not all blockchains are the same, they're different types.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's important. You've got your public blockchains think Bitcoin Ethereum open door policy, anyone can join, read the ledger, submit transactions.
Speaker 1: And they use things like proof of work.
Speaker 2: Typically yeah, which needs a lot of computing power. That makes them super decentralized and secure, but also you know slower sometimes.
Speaker 1: Okay, then what's next?
Speaker 2: Then you have federated or consortium blockchains. These are more like a private club for a group of organizations. Ah, so permission is needed, right, you need permission to read or write. Since it's a smaller known group of participants, they tend to be faster and more efficient. Good for industry collaborations where you need some control but still want shared.
Speaker 1: Truth makes sense.
Speaker 2: And the last type private blockchains. These are usually run by a single organization just for internal use.
Speaker 1: They set all the rules, so most centralized.
Speaker 2: Definitely the most centralized of the three. They still get the immutability and crypto security benefits, but it's all controlled by one entity. Often used for things like internal audits or tracking goods within a company's own supply chain.
Speaker 1: So the choice really depends on what you need, right, that trade off between decentralization speed privacy.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's a strategic decision, not just a technical one.
Speaker 1: Okay, so different types, but how does the basic process work. Let's say I want to send some crypto walk us through that transactions journey.
Speaker 2: Sure it starts with you acting as a node. A node is really just any computer running the blockchain software. Could be a laptop, could be a huge data.
Speaker 1: Center, so a participant in the network, right.
Speaker 2: And the more nodes, the stronger the network. So you initiate your transaction and includes an ID which is a hash. The sender and receiver addresses also hashes, keeping it anonymous exactly, no personal info, just those hashes plus the amount network fees, and your digital signature basically assigned hash proving it's you. You broadcast the same podcast it where to the network to the other nodes. Then special nodes called miners pick up your transaction along with others that are waiting.
Speaker 1: What do they do with them?
Speaker 2: They gather these transactions and put them into a potential block. Think of it like grouping checks to be deposited.
Speaker 1: Okay, a batch of transaction yep.
Speaker 2: Now to get this block officially added to the ledger, the miners have to compete. If it's a proof of work system like Bitcoin, they're racing to solve a really hard cryptographic puzzle.
Speaker 1: The hash puzzle.
Speaker 2: That's the one. They're trying to find a specific hash value for that block. And crucially, this hash includes the hash of the previous block in the chain.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's the chain part linking them together precisely.
Speaker 2: That cryptographic link makes the history tamper proof, so one miner eventually finds the winning hash. What next they showed eureka, huh, maybe they broadcast their new solved block, the proposed page for the ledger to the whole network.
Speaker 1: Everyone just trusts, no way.
Speaker 2: That's the key. Other nodes all across the network independently check the work. They verify the hash, They verify all the transactions inside the block.
Speaker 1: Okay, peer review exactly.
Speaker 2: And if a majority usually fifty one percent of the network power agrees yep, this block is valid. Then and only then it gets added to the official chain. It becomes permanent, immutable.
Speaker 1: And that fifty one percent rule is why attacking a big network is so hard. You'd need massive computing.
Speaker 2: Power, immense power for something like bitcoin. It's practically impossible for any single entity to pull off a fifty one percent attack to rewrite history. It's the power of that distributed consensus and the miners.
Speaker 1: They get paid for this work, right. The book mentioned bitcoin rewards big time.
Speaker 2: Originally it was more. Now it's like twelve point five bitcoin per block they successfully mine, Plus they collect all the transaction fees from the transactions included in that block.
Speaker 1: That's the incentive which brings us to consensus. How the network agrees. We mentioned proof of workw Right.
Speaker 2: Bitcoin's method computationally hard to find the hash requires tons of processing power and energy, but super easy for anyone else to verify it once found.
Speaker 1: Makes it secure again spam and attacks because it's expensive to cheat exactly.
Speaker 2: But the downside everyone talks about is the energy consumption. It's huge, which.
Speaker 1: Leads to the alternatives like proof of steak POS correct.
Speaker 2: POS tries to solve the energy and scaling issues of POWW. Instead of miners competing with hardware, you have validators. Validators, Yeah, they're chosen to create new blocks based on how much cryptocurrency they've staked or locked up as collateral.
Speaker 1: So they have skin in the game exactly.
Speaker 2: If they try to cheat the system, they get slashed, they lose some or all of their staked coins. Big disincentive. Ethereum's big move to proof of steak is a major shift in this direction.
Speaker 1: Interesting, and there are others BFT.
Speaker 2: Byzantine fault tolerance BFT. It's more a category of algorithms. The core idea is to make sure the system keeps working correctly even if some nodes crash or worse, try to send out bad information. Really important for those private or consortum chains where reliability is paramount.
Speaker 1: Got it? Now, Bitcoin wasn't just a new currency. The book emphasizes how it solved a really fundamental problem for digital money, double spending.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was the holy grail. How do you stop someone from spending the same digital coin twice like copying an MP three file without a central bank watching every move?
Speaker 1: How did bitcoin crack it?
Speaker 2: It uses the blockchain itself as the referee. When you send bitcoin, the transaction goes into this waiting area the memory pool. Okay, miners pick it up, put it in a block. Once that block is confirmed by the network added to the chain, that transaction is final. The specific bitcoin outputs used in your transaction are marked.
Speaker 1: As spent, so if you try to spend them again.
Speaker 2: The network just rejects it. Everyone can see on the public ledger that those coins have already been It creates digital scarcity verifiably without needing a bank.
Speaker 1: It was ingenious, it really is. Okay, so blockchain secure, immutable, decentralized records, fantastic for money. But then comes this huge leap. The idea that the book sums up so well. Cryptocurrency is a small subset of the blockchain, like the email of the Internet.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is where it gets really exciting. The underlying tech decentralization, p top, consensus, anonymity. It's not just for money. It's a toolkit for building entirely new kinds of applications.
Speaker 1: A foundational layer for.
Speaker 2: Well, lots of things exactly, which brings us right to decentralized applications DAPs.
Speaker 1: So what are they? Fundamentally?
Speaker 2: Think of them as alternatives to the apps we use every day, the ones running on some companies central server DAPs run on peer to peer network.
Speaker 1: Instead, we've had PDP for things like file sharing for ages, right, yeah, torrents, things like that.
Speaker 2: True, but the key difference with many modern DAPs is that critical data, or at least the record of actions, is stored on the blockchain or a similar decentralized system.
Speaker 1: Giving it that immutability, that fraud proof.
Speaker 2: Quality, and often user anonymity. So the app might look familiar on the surface your interface, but underneath, the business logic and the data layer are built using cryptography and blockchain. It's a totally different architecture.
Speaker 1: The book uses an Instagram analogy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good one. Imagine a decentralized Instagram. You upload a photo. Instead of going to.
Speaker 1: Instagram's server, it goes somewhere else.
Speaker 2: It might go into decentralized storage like IPFS, the Interplanetary File System IPFS gives you back a unique hash, a content identifier for that photo.
Speaker 1: Okay, like a digital fingerprint for the photo kind of.
Speaker 2: Then the action you uploading that photo, represented by its hash, gets recorded on the blockchain permanently immutably.
Speaker 1: Ah, So the record of the upload is immutable, not necessarily the photo file itself floating around.
Speaker 2: That's a really crucial distinction. The blockchain guarantees the integrity of the action log It provides verifiable proof you did something, censorship resistant ownership of that interaction.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. So what tech actually enables these more complex DAPs beyond just simple transactions.
Speaker 2: The absolute game changer was Ethereum. Yes, it's the number two crypto, but its real significance was interesting The idea of a programmable virtual machine on the blockchain, program meaning you could run code on it, specifically smart contracts. These are like little programs self executing agreements that live and run directly on the Ethereum blockchain.
Speaker 1: Unlike Bitcoin simple.
Speaker 2: Scripting exactly, Bitcoin's script language is limited mainly for verifying transactions. Ethereum uses languages like Salinity, which are touring complete. Basically, they can run almost any kind of computational logic, so.
Speaker 1: You can build complex applications.
Speaker 2: Anything, games, financial instruments, governance systems, you name it. Remember Crypto Kitties, that early, crazy popular digital cat breeding game.
Speaker 1: Vaguely yeah, clogged the network, didn't it?
Speaker 2: It did, but it proved you could build non financial, complex applications directly on a blockchain. It opened the floodgates for deck development.
Speaker 1: That programmability is huge. You also mentioned IPFS for storage. What's so different about it?
Speaker 2: IPFS is really ambitious. It wants to replace HTTP, the protocol we use to browse the web now. Its core idea is revolutionary content based addressing.
Speaker 1: Okay, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Instead of asking the network where is the file at this specific web address like we do now.
Speaker 1: Like asking for a specific shelf in a.
Speaker 2: Library, right, with IKFS, you ask what is the file? You ask for it based on its content, the file itself generates a unique cryptographic hash its content ID or CID. If the content is the same, the CID is the same no matter where it's stored.
Speaker 1: The book used that T shirt analogy, asking for a blue T shirt versus the T shirt on that specific rack.
Speaker 2: Exactly content based versus location based.
Speaker 1: Okay, conceptual elegant, But what's the practical advantage? Why is that better?
Speaker 2: Huge advantages. Files on ipfs are broken into smaller blocks, each with its own CID, forming the structure called a Merkle dag. It's like a graph where everything's linked by its content hash. This means you can pull different pieces of the same file from many different computers peers all over the world simultaneously. It makes file retrieval way more resilient, no single point of failure like a central server, so.
Speaker 1: Better for uptime and censorship resistance.
Speaker 2: Definitely. If one source goes down, you can still get the file from others, and it's much harder to censor because the content can exist anywhere. Data integrity is also built in because the hash verifies the content. Driving all this peer to peer magic is a library called lib two P which handles finding, geres, connecting, and transferring data.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have programmable blockchains like Ethereum and decentralized storage like IPFS. But blockchains themselves aren't great databases for everything, right cost, speed, exactly.
Speaker 2: Storing large amounts of data or doing complex queries directly on something like Ethereum can get slow and very expensive due to gas fees. The blockchain excels at immutable records, not necessarily high performance general purpose data.
Speaker 1: Storage, which is where specialized decentralized databases come in.
Speaker 2: Precisely, the ecosystem has evolved. Take orbit dB. It's designed as a serverleist distributed peer to peer database that runs on top of IPFS.
Speaker 1: Built on ipfs SING. What makes it special.
Speaker 2: A key thing is its use of crdt's conflict free replicated data types. These are clever data structures. Imagine multiple people editing the same document offline. Crdts allow their changes to be merged back together automatically and correctly later without conflicts, even without a central server coordinating everything.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, that sounds essential for any distributed system where people are updating things.
Speaker 2: Concurrently, absolutely critical for p top databases. Orbit dB uses this, along with ipfs's published subscribe system to keep data automatically synced between peers.
Speaker 1: The book mentioned a dmail example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a decentralized email app. You could see orbit dB sinking mail across your devices using IPFS pubsub maybe using public private keys for secure direct messaging between contacts, all P to P, no central mail server holding your data. It's a compelling.
Speaker 1: Vision, definitely. What else is out there decentralized databases?
Speaker 2: Well, there's big chain dB. This one tries to blend the best of both.
Speaker 1: Worlds blockchain meets traditional database.
Speaker 2: Kind of Yeah. It aims for blockchain features desecialization, immutability, assets controlled by earners, but also traditional database features like high transaction speeds, low latency, indexing, and queering data easily.
Speaker 1: How does it manage that?
Speaker 2: It uses tenderment for consensus, that's a BFT algorithm and actually runs on top of local manger dB instances on each node for the fast querying part.
Speaker 1: Clever mix. What's it good for?
Speaker 2: Think enterprise use cases, audit trails where you need proof but also need to search records quickly, supply chains, intellectual property rights, identity manage places needing both verifiable history and efficient data access.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then there's one that's quite different. Ties dB mutable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, TIESDB is unusual because it's a mutable, decentralized database. Most blockchain things focus on immutability. Here the owner of the data can actually change it.
Speaker 1: But it's still decentralized.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's run by a network of nodes operated by community members. They provide the computing power and storage, and they get paid in tie tokens as an incentive.
Speaker 1: Interesting model, So you get verified ID. Data is publicly readable but owner modifiable. What are the use cases?
Speaker 2: Things like distributed data stores where updates are needed, secure file sharing where you might need to update the file. Maybe social networks where users truly own and can modify their own content feeds, even big data applications where data naturally evolves.
Speaker 1: Right. Then there's Bluesell. Is that another database.
Speaker 2: It's more like a decentralized network of databases. Think of it as a marketplace for database resources, specifically for DAPs.
Speaker 1: A marketplace. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Developers, the consumers pay in Bluesell's token BLZ to store and retrieve data. Producers are network providers who offer their storage and compute infrastructure, and they earn BLZ.
Speaker 1: Tokens ah an incentive model.
Speaker 2: Again exactly. It aims to be secure, tamper proof, scalable, and importantly affordable, trying to avoid those sometimes high gas costs you see on ethereum. For data storage, data is replicated across different zones in the network. For availability.
Speaker 1: What's under the hood.
Speaker 2: It uses the Cosmos SDK to provide a no SQL key value store and relies on tenderment for that byzantine fault tolerant consensus. It's focused on providing reliable, mutable global data storage for DAPs.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have all these decentralized options, but the book also includes something that's not decentralized, Amazon QLDB.
Speaker 2: Why that's a really important distinction to make. Amazon Quantum Ledger Database ULDB is centralized. It's fully managed by Amazon.
Speaker 1: So why talk about in this context?
Speaker 2: Because it borrows key principles from blockchain. It provides a transparent, immutable, cryptographically verifiable transaction log just like a blockchain. You get this verifiable audit trail where you can prove the history of data changes hasn't been tampered.
Speaker 1: With, but within a single trusted environment Amazon's cloud.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The insight is that many businesses want that immutability and verifiability for things like financial ledgers or supply chain records. But they aren't ready for or don't need, full decentralization. QLDB gives them those blockchain like benefits in a familiar, managed service.
Speaker 1: And it's easier for traditional developers.
Speaker 2: That's a big selling point. It uses a SEQL like query language called Particle and a data format similar to Jason Plus. It's built for enterprise needs. A set compliant highly.
Speaker 1: Available, so good for tracking financial credits, debits, manufacturing records, insurance claims, payroll things needing an immutable log inside a company.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it shows the influence of blockchain ideas extending even into centralized systems.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's make this more concrete. Time for some DAPs actually out there in the wild. First up, Open Bizarre. What's the deal there?
Speaker 2: Open Bizarre aims to be a truly decentralized eBay or Amazon peer to peer marketplace, solving what problem? The middleman problem? No platform fees taken by a central company, no central authority deciding what you can or can't sell, or shutting down your store.
Speaker 1: How does it work? Payments disputes?
Speaker 2: You set up your own store running the software. Payments are typically in crypto like bitcoin, and for disputes, it has this cool system of mutually agreed on escro where you can pick a neutral third person on the network to help resolve issues if they arise. It's all about direct peer to peer commerce.
Speaker 1: Interesting, okay. Next D two the decentralized YouTube.
Speaker 2: That's the idea. It's a video platform aiming to be fairer to creators and viewers, ad free, censorship resistant.
Speaker 1: How's it built.
Speaker 2: It uses a blockchain like Steam originally to record things like votes and comments and reward users with cryptocurrency DTC tokens. The actual video files they're stored on ipfs.
Speaker 1: Using that decentralized storage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so creators and viewers can potentially earn crypto for uploading, watching, voting, commenting. Key things are no central moderation taking down videos arbitrarily, and creators theoretically retain more control and ownership.
Speaker 1: A direct challenge to YouTube's model. Finally, Ocean Protocol. This one sounds really ambitious tackling data ownership.
Speaker 2: It really is. It starts from that idea Data is the new oil, but right now that oil is mostly owned by a few tech giants. Ocean protocol wants to change that. It creates a decentralized marketplace for data. But crucially, data providers don't have to give up their raw data. They can list metadata describing their data set and set conditions for access.
Speaker 1: So consumers can find data they need.
Speaker 2: Right data consumers, maybe AI researchers or companies, can then pay in crypto to access or more cleverly, compute on the data without ever seeing the raw data itself, preserving privacy. Ocean handles the secure exchange and ensures compliance.
Speaker 1: That compute to data idea is powerful for privacy.
Speaker 2: What kind of uses Think training AI for self driving cars, using driver data without exposing individual trips, sharing sensitive medical data for research while protecting patient privacy, Building global data commons where information can be used ethically and providers are compensated fairly. It's about unlocking data's value while respecting ownership.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, what a journey we've taken. We went from the basic ideas of blockchain Satoshi's vision with bitcoin.
Speaker 2: Sure, how the tech actually works, the different types, proof of work.
Speaker 1: Proof of steak, then the huge leap into DAPs smart contracts on ethereum decentralized storage like IPFS.
Speaker 2: Explored that whole new world of specialized decentralized databases or but dB, bigchain, ebe, ties dB, bluesell, and even how blockchain ideas influence centralized systems like Amazon QLDB and.
Speaker 1: Wrapped up with real examples like open Bizarre, dtube and Ocean Protocol that are actively trying to reshape e commerce, content creation, and data markets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can really see the art, can't you. From trusting central companies to potentially trusting verifiable code and distributed networks, it's about individual ownership, verifiable truth.
Speaker 1: It really feels like a fundamental shift in how the Internet could work.
Speaker 2: And it's not just you know, abstract tech talk. This is about you potentially reclaiming agency over your data, your digital interactions. It's about building systems without relying on intermediaries we might not trust, opening up new ways for creators and data owners to be fairly compensated.
Speaker 1: A move towards maybe a more transparent, equitable, resilient digital world.
Speaker 2: That's the hope, that's the promise.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So as we wrap up this deep dis here's something for you, our listeners, to think about as we head towards this web three world, where the idea is you have more control over your digital stuff. What part of your digital life right now something controlled by a central company or platform would you most want to see transformed by a decentral life approach?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What frustrates you most about the current setup? Where could adapp make a real difference for you?
Speaker 1: Definitely something to ponder. Thanks for joining us on the deep dive.