Speaker 1: Hey everybody, It's Tuesday, March twenty fifth, twenty twenty five. Welcome to the Giant BombCast, Episode eight hundred and eighty two. I'm your host, Jan Cholla joining me as always co captain of the ship. He's over in the pastry section of the restaurant just looking at butter, slathering it all over the desserts and himself, Jeff grub.
Speaker 2: I gotta spend a good portion of each day convincing my child to not.
Speaker 3: Just eat butter.
Speaker 1: That's right, he's convincing children all around the world. Are our child specialist, Dan Riker.
Speaker 4: Kids need to drink more soda. I don't like what I've been hearing about the kids today, not drinking soda.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 4: Watch Jaws and drink of coke.
Speaker 2: At six years old, Addie saw something about Jaws. Was watching the John Williams special Chefs. What's this movie?
Speaker 3: I want to watch it?
Speaker 1: See?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, she has all the information she needs to know too about it.
Speaker 2: No yet, man, but the eight year old, maybe we'll see.
Speaker 4: That's a doom generation.
Speaker 1: I'm speaking about a doom generation. He's gonna lead us out of it. We have the leading anarchist and games media. The baddest boy in games media, my Minati.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, Dan, it is weird, right. I guess we just grew up. Like here's don't even worry about diet coke. That's grosser for rondos. Just all the pure regular coca. Oh you could what that's basically your kids drink. That's the kids drink of choice. And now, yeah, all the parents I know are like I would rather give my son a cigarette.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I did not mean to perk up as soon as that word got said. All right, I didn't need to make that clear.
Speaker 2: Okay, when I got I was going out for wrestling in middle school and I was not, like, you know, a fat kid, but they like did like a body fat test and like all I drank was coke.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: What do you say more than water? Because I definitely was.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely yes, And it was like a lot per day and it's like, yeah, you have like thirty eight percent body fatly, well that seems like a lot. And I was like that was all just the coke doing its thing.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 1: Oh, do you think sugar was a mistake?
Speaker 2: No, I mean it's not been great for us.
Speaker 4: Sugar is, well, do we make it up. I'm not going to go into hold me no no, no, no, no, no, nope, nope, I understand it just fine.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I've never been more convinced than he understands something than when he said that phrase.
Speaker 1: I know we brought this up last week, and then we brought up the week before that, But who was talking about yearning for the minds? Because I haven't been able to get that yearning yearning out of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jack Black was talking about it. I think was it Nikki that told us about the trailer or whatever where apparently young Jack Black said he always yearned for the mines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the opening line. Yeah, they referenced the joke. I still haven't watched that trailer. Yeah, there's like I saw a new new trailer in front of that Looney Tunes movie from Minecraft.
Speaker 1: I'm still not convinced.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I do you think I posted this to Blue Sky that if Super Mario Brothers nineteen ninety three was made today, it would look a lot like this Minecraft movie, Like they would use that kind of they would use that kind of CGI and.
Speaker 1: Showed so much. Is it like weird CGI or is it trying to look like the CGI.
Speaker 3: It's live action and like there's real people and the real people are Jason Momoa and Jack Black and all.
Speaker 2: And then all the stuff that from the game. They are like filtering it through a realism AI filter.
Speaker 4: Basically, it's kind of like it looks it's kind of like the worst version of Detective Pikachu like that.
Speaker 3: There they made things slightly realistic in a charming way. Here it's really ugly and this is.
Speaker 1: Like we made a movie that was oops, all ugly sonic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and like they're out and proud about it too, like we look what we got here.
Speaker 4: Like Creepers all the like the cube Heads and stuff like this.
Speaker 2: The villagers are the worst because they have the dan Ackroyd penis nose from that one movie.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, yeah, the dan from one. Yeah, cone Heads.
Speaker 4: This looks like shit.
Speaker 3: I think the difference now, though, Jeff, is that kids love ugly shit these days. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I came around Maria Brothers nineteen ninety three, right, like I love that now. As a kid, it was like, man, I can't believe they did this to Mario, And now I'm like that this.
Speaker 3: Ugly shiit I wish we had more of this.
Speaker 2: It's weird and different, and I wonder if the kids are like fully embracing that.
Speaker 3: You're right, You're right. They're like the roadblocks generation. They love their ugly shit, the skibbity toilet generation, they love stupid ugly shit.
Speaker 1: Is it ironic? Then why aren't we more popular?
Speaker 3: Then? I don't mention a good point.
Speaker 1: You know, a question for the father in the room, Dan, you can chime in if you want as well. Sure, I will grub do the gimmicks, understand practical stuff versus CGI stuff.
Speaker 2: Yet like they don't think about it that much, mostly because and I don't know if this is universal, but my understanding is it's pretty universal among kids that I the age that I have, they don't really watch much live action at all. They are almost exclusively watching animated films, and that's computer animated films, which is kind of all that exists today. So it's kind of a hurdle to get them to even try some live action stuff. Emmy's just sort of like maybe doing a little bit of that, but overall it's like if it's not animated, they're like, this is not a kids movie, and therefore I am bored.
Speaker 1: You know what's not a three D movie that's in theaters right now? You can take the kids to see the world would be destroyed or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the day the earth blew up. I mean I went with my nieces and nephews and they all liked it a lot. Oh okay, I'm gonna take them ship. Yeah that's great. Yeah you'll I mean, you'll definitely like it. Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'll like it.
Speaker 1: Hey, this just crossed my mind where while we were talking about live action stuff, I don't think we can call the live action line king live action.
Speaker 3: Oh this is a very old I'm sorry, okay, and you're right, you're right, jam, But it's it is a conversation that has definitely happened a bunch And it's like even the people that are saying live action at this point admit they're like, yeah, we get it to Ceja, it's just a delineate between Yeah, we gotta make a difference here. I'm not gonna say realistic animated one.
Speaker 4: You know, apparently me and Bonk are weigh in the minority by we both like that.
Speaker 1: Movie a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're weird. You saw twice in theaters. I've never known her to see something twice in theaters.
Speaker 1: It's completely fine, but it's it's like, I don't want to see fake real an cartoons are fake. Well no, you know what I mean, Like they're they're they're presenting it as like this is live action.
Speaker 4: They're not saying it's a shoe. They didn't say it's the documentary. There's no David Attenborough talking over it.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying is I just want more puppets.
Speaker 4: I know I am pro puppet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did anybody else see Mufasa?
Speaker 3: It was okay? I uh yeah, damn. You guys love the Lion King didn't love It's.
Speaker 1: Just like it was over.
Speaker 4: It's like, wow, they did a great job with that.
Speaker 2: Well she saw twice. You guys didn't go to see Mufasa and Mufassa just came out. I guess it's on home video.
Speaker 4: I don't think we came out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it's better than their live action quote unquote live action lia Kings.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you'll like it.
Speaker 4: Sorry, great movies like what I watched this weekend, A Braxist Guardian of the Universe starring Jesse Ventura as a space cop.
Speaker 1: I saw that too. For some reason. Was that tam'swat.
Speaker 4: I think Tam was the one who recommended to me.
Speaker 1: Yes, thanks Tam.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was bad.
Speaker 3: There was a it's a sci fi movie this that's not like, yeah, Jesse Fitcher is a space alien cop, but like the whole thing just takes place in Suburbia, Canada.
Speaker 2: A new direct got announced for April first. It's the Goat Direct for Goat Simulator. Oh did I get you guys excited?
Speaker 4: So are they doing the day before? Okay, that's it's also April Fool's Day, right, that's fun.
Speaker 3: Is the thing you're talking about. When you heard there was an obligation that had to be met for the goats. It was not for the goats.
Speaker 1: For the goats. Okay, well there you go, breaking news.
Speaker 3: Uh, I'm antio by the.
Speaker 1: Jeff Grevy want to deliver that again?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, new direct confirmed for April first, at four pm Central European standard summertime, which is not a real time.
Speaker 3: Goat Direct is happening from the people to make Goat Simulator. There you go.
Speaker 1: You know, don't think gimmicks like Goat Simulator and that they love goats. That's really ugly stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, and they and they think it's hilarious.
Speaker 4: I think goats A couple of days ago, is watching the show that involved a goat, and the goat was maybe in peril for a second. I was glad the goat didn't get hurt, and I was think, like, I think goats are pretty cute.
Speaker 1: Goat goat.
Speaker 3: Now you don't like goats. It's I think it's because of that one goat in my neighbor Totoro. If you don't talk about they like hyperanimate detail. This goat and it's got the weird goat eyes and it's one of the scariest things I've ever seen. It's just this goat in this Japanese kids movie.
Speaker 2: Mike was also an altar voice all the times they sacrificed goats in.
Speaker 3: The didn't you guys see The Witch? I did.
Speaker 1: You're a baby, you grow up?
Speaker 3: If you saw adult movies for grow it's like me like the Witch and that's about a satan.
Speaker 2: They really did break a lot of people. Dan when you said that made you grow up? And then Mike's like still waiting, that's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the response you got a pretty good, admit it.
Speaker 1: Communic sensibilities. What can I say? Yeah, how's everyone doing? We're Okayring Sprung doing.
Speaker 3: Fantastic computer's here, which it was like a little annoying because like the riser for the graphics card came in a little mangled and it's still working right now, but it's a little piece of terrifying. When you guys sent me that picture, I was so angry on your behalf. I was maybe the angriest I had ever been for a moment when my brother's like, well, I don't know if this computer is gonna work. Oh. I didn't like that, and didn't like hearing that after spending the money on a.
Speaker 2: Pc I eport for people that are like hearing, no, wonder what you're talking about. The PCI eport where the riser plugs into so the graphics card can go stand up and be pretty and prominent. In the front of the case was it looked like someone had stepped on it. Inside the case it was insane. So yeah, I don't blame you for being upset, but apparently it's working.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's working, and I'm making them buy me a new riser first, Like we could send you a new computer. I was like, no, I set up the computer and I'm not Look, if you send me in your computer, I'm just gonna replace the riser and send it back to you, right, Like, let's just not do they just give me a riser? But also annoying was like pieces of that thing broke off and we're rattling in the fans under there. So I like to the computer around to get those bits out. But everything's running well. Games are looking good on it. I'm looking good. I'm hopefully sounding better too. So whatever it worked.
Speaker 4: There s everything's working great. So you got a new computer that's working great. I got a retro tank that's working great.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, things.
Speaker 4: Seems like everything's just coming up GB.
Speaker 3: Folks, right, your retro tink works.
Speaker 4: Oh swimmingly? I streamed with this great. Oh the auto cropic and the auto game?
Speaker 1: Which one is this called?
Speaker 4: This is the four k CE, I mean grub you know jet?
Speaker 1: Does your retro tick not work?
Speaker 3: It wouldn't turn on. Oh, it wouldn't. Try. I tried a bunch of stuff and.
Speaker 4: The reset button on the back.
Speaker 3: I tried the re I tried everything I try to buddy.
Speaker 2: I tried plugging it in the difference fright didn't work all kinds of different cords and cables and power supplies, and like they're like, it takes a very specific power supply. So I ordered that exact power supply there. I'm like, they're like, we'll take a picture of the back of the one you have right here, like, oh, that one should work.
Speaker 3: I'm like, fuck off. And so, uh, it just it just simply would not turn on.
Speaker 2: So I you know, I emailed him, and the guy that actually makes this stuff is the guy that runs the support. So Mike Cheese like, hey, just send it back to me. I'm like, thanks, Mike, all right, here you go. So I've sent just the unit back to him. Uh and he's gonna like apparently fix it and send it back, which that's nice, but boy was it disappointing. They're like, all right, I have got like two and a half hours. I am gonna settle in for some me jeff time. I'm playing some old video games. I'm gonna set up on the computer first and.
Speaker 3: Then i'll move it.
Speaker 2: And it just didn't get past step zero. It was very frustrated.
Speaker 3: Oh that sucks. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: It is very good when you get the new one back.
Speaker 2: It's so, yeah, like what how you're kind of like tinking around with tinkering around with it because I am I realized what I am going to do with this thing primarily is and you were confused by this originally, I'm going to use my mister on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I understand that now because like the idea, yeah over it, Yeah, because you can go into HM That's what I was doing with my I was actually going HDMI out of my game cube with an adapter I've got on the back of that, going into the retro tank and then all the like actual like scan line stuff. I usually don't turn that on when it's just like an end game scan line thing. But just the level of like you know, customization you can have over that is incredible. All the auto cropping and things to make it fill your screen perfectly, like numerous different inputs and stuff. I put a VCR in the front. I was watching the Best of tool Time on VHS. Yeah, it's it's it's a good device for sure. The remote actually being like labeled in custom for that device is a lot better than the previous one. It's yeah, that's really really good.
Speaker 3: You could do.
Speaker 2: Direct HDMI so like the mister will put out at like the exact resolution of whatever console you're using. But the the retro Tink four KCEE has this pre scaling feature which basically just like you don't need to worry about that. On the retro Tink, It'll just take samples of like every fourth vertical line of pixels, so it's getting the information it would have originally had from that console. And then so it could just do that automatically for you and then upscale through all the filters and the and the CRT masks and stuff like that and add that on top of it, which is what I'm getting what I got this thing for. I want to have all those CRT filters.
Speaker 1: I got to ask y'all for the lame layman's out there, including myself, what would someone want to buy a retro Tink four K four So.
Speaker 4: If you play a lot of old games on modern TVs or stream old games.
Speaker 1: And using like the original hardware, correct hardware.
Speaker 3: It's basically a very nice component cable to HDMI output.
Speaker 1: It's solution for every console.
Speaker 2: Right and the main thing it does is the scaling, so your TV has a scaler in it, so if it gets four eighty I content, it knows how to display it on.
Speaker 3: The four K TV.
Speaker 2: But those scalers are cheap and shitty and have a ton of latency. For gaming, you cannot really you can't rely on them for especially older consoles. It's why anyone who's tried plugging an older console directly into the TV, that's what makes it look bad, is the is the bad scaler, the poorer scaling. So the retrotak usually understands what it's getting if it doesn't, like community members will make profiles for every device out there. But gets to the point where, like even the switch, you could plug the switch into here and and get like some benefits of plugging that into a four K TV and just cleaning up the image just a tiny bit, but it does make a difference. And then again there's no latency, so it's it is for a lot of old games. But in sort of hardware that is not outputting natively to four K, we'll get benefits from this thing.
Speaker 1: Is it? Is it weird?
Speaker 3: I'm you know, I love playing old games, I love using original hardware. I have a Retrotink five X. I have never had very much interest.
Speaker 1: At all in CRT filters. I don't know, like I grew up playing well that way.
Speaker 2: But but no, we've talked about this the other day, like you've spent also spent a lot of time emulators playing like the pixels blown up to look exactly like they look on computer, and we like, that's also an aesthetic now that people enjoy.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it is, right, Yeah, because yeah, like the first time I played Super Metroid wasn't really on the SDS, is on an emulator in like nineteen ninety nine or maybe like two thousand and two or something like that. So yeah, I'm like, I'm fine with the chunky, sharp edge pixels just as much. It's fine.
Speaker 4: There's something I really like you are about. Like, you know, I tested Mario sixty four as one of the first things because I know exactly what that game looks like, and it's like, you know, when I just had it on the base settings and everything, Yeah, you can see those little jagg's on his hat and everything, and then you turn on the gosh and blur and you it up a couple of pips and it's like, oh, this nice like smooth rounded thing or like the pixel art the portraits and like Symphony the Night and things like that look so much better with some scan lines and yeah, yeah, it's it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just kind of yeah, seeing like two D portraits that were made for CRT TVs get smudged together in a way where they look like, oh my god, this looks much more like a person than when I played on an emulator. Yeah, just kind of getting that effect.
Speaker 3: I like that a lot. And you know, I.
Speaker 2: Just played on a lot of crappy CRTs, So I'm like, I'm gonna use composite cables plugging this thing.
Speaker 3: I want the white filters to get really nostalgic. I might do that. We'll see.
Speaker 4: Yes, I watch I put in my the tape that I made in two thousand of Caxus Jack Versut Triple H in the street fight at Madison Square Garden dur Rumble, and I watched that through a retroteue port CANSA. Yeah, this is the stuff.
Speaker 3: Okaya, Yet what's that? Do you watch your nine to eleven tapes yet?
Speaker 4: I haven't been in the mood to put in my old night.
Speaker 1: Is not the season?
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, yeah, maybe Valentine's Day next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. Yeah, yeah, the need I need to leave this website because I'm not not only am I tempted now to buy a seen amount of VHS tapes because of y'all c R T TV that I don't need and don't have the space for now. I want to buy this retro tink. And now if I'm another person asking about Clark, can I expense this, He's especially gonna say no. No.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's like, well, no, we all need it, and then everyone gets it a rising tide, right, yes.
Speaker 3: Sure with all the ships ships ship be Reagan was talking about retro tinks for.
Speaker 1: Sure, totally. That's that's one hundred percent what Reagan was talking about.
Speaker 4: Reagan thing. I thought it was like a communist.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's very much a capitalism, trickle down economics things.
Speaker 4: Com we all do this together, all of our ships will be raised. But it seems like the opposite.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Before I used to think it was a vibes based thing, but now.
Speaker 3: It's like, how it's okay that the rich are rising, it's kind of make the poor people rise to correct. We've discovered this over and over and.
Speaker 2: I let's go edit the top banner here in chat to say Jan's leaving. As soon as I clicked it, I believe Nikki had already done.
Speaker 3: Exactly that job.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna hit this button. My god, Okay, I should not have things on a random folder instead, I'm gonna hit this all right. Video game, I think.
Speaker 3: We found our news.
Speaker 1: Alright, video games. I actually have played one, and it is one that was the big game of last week. Uh, well, we might talk about in the news. Perhaps Assassin's Creed shadows Dan Greb. You two talked about this at length last week on the podcast. I suggest folks go check that out if you want to hear their initial takes and impressions. I'm only two or three hours in, and the last Assassin's Creed that I really enjoyed was Assassin's Creed to Brotherhood. Yeah, and let me tell y'all, I am digging the crap out of this even though I'm so early. And for whatever reason, I never quite clicked with Ghost of Tsushima. I don't know what it is. Maybe I just found it too pretty and I just needed some like a little bit of jank or a little bit of like mindless tasks.
Speaker 3: And that's see Jan's younger than us. He needs things to be ugly.
Speaker 4: You can crank up those scan lines, brother, Yeah there you go.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, back lark, could I anyway? Yeah, but I I'm really digging this, and ID I guess I kind of got the rug pulled from underneath me because I was under the assumption that this would kind of be more like Assassin's Creed Syndicate, where the two different characters are more prominent in terms of like switching back and forth of like all right, you gotta go be the brother now, now you gotta go be the sister, or you can switch at any time. And now I'm like, oh, I'm just I'm gonna be nowa for a bit. Oh that's Jill, okay. And then I'm just thinking about all of the outrage that was taking place all over and still is on the internet, and I'm like, oh my god, you guys are fucking dweeds.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was just such a like a nothing right, like they got mad over nothing, big surprise, here we are again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got mad over nothing before the game even fucking came out, You fucking dumbshits. Anyway, that being said, the introduction to yos K. I thought he was a fucking Badassah.
Speaker 4: Right away, they give you that like R two square like three hundred kick thing, and it's like, ah, oh yeah, and you do get off him pretty quick. And I have not gone back to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just got back to the point where I'm back to him.
Speaker 3: So it's like it takes a long long time. I think. I think for me it was nine hours or something like that, and I haven't played much more. So yeah, to play a whole video game before you got back to him, basically.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it's I mean, I think it kind of is everything everyone was saying.
Speaker 3: I think it's a combination factors.
Speaker 2: I think they probably did like pull back a little bit from like his introduction like and gave more time with Nowe maybe just to like avoid criticism even if.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of it was bad faith. But I think also he just was an afterthought.
Speaker 2: Like I think it was we have Nawey who is the ninja, and that's where all the like we're gonna have all our fun innovation here. And then for someone who just wants to go in there and wreck house, here is this really tall guy in Japan just beating everybody up. It's it is like an alternative, but it also is just like less in the weeds of figuring out the Assassin's Creed system, because you could just go in there and beat anyone up by punching them or do the doing the three hundred kick.
Speaker 4: Can he climb? I think so, like he can like scale like a whole like temple like she can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if it's as elegant. I think so god, Like I said when I got back to me, it still has the beat. I know. It's a different play style, but still an Assassin's Creed game. You gotta be able to climb a building and jump into.
Speaker 2: They're saying no and chat no he cannot. Yeah, I mean very It is like very different in a lot of.
Speaker 4: Ways, and you have to like it's like, okay, now I'm on the dude section. I have to go through you know, his story before I can go back to Now.
Speaker 3: I like, I just got back to them, so I'm not played with them at all.
Speaker 4: Really, Yeah, I just wonder to GTA five style, like you know, switch back and forth, or if it's like story based moments or whatever the option. Yet I think you.
Speaker 2: Can like go back to your h Q and choose, because I think that's what we saw Sean do, and then Seawan chose to go back with Nowe and just continue with her story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the small bit I've played so far with Nowe makes me think that I might really enjoy Stealth. I didn't as like a younger gamer, I guess, but like now just like waiting for the right moment and sequence to pop off so I can just off a bunch of dudes. And it makes me want to go back because I've heard people clamoring for an Assassin's Creed set in Japan or like a Stealth game set in Japan for forever because of the Tenshoe series. And I never checked out the Tenshu series. Now I was wondering, do y'all think or do the people listening at home?
Speaker 2: Do the Tenshoe games hold up jas There's gotta be some Tinshue games that like. I played the first Tinshoe and loved it. But that's you know, it's from soft right, so at least it's it's interesting cookies, you know, I make up things all the time. But they were definitely involved with Shoe early on. That's why they made sick or they were going to they originally going to.
Speaker 1: And sorry I doubted you.
Speaker 3: I don't blame you. It's worth always double checking.
Speaker 4: I used to rent ten Shoot, and I really liked the idea of like, I'm just gonna throw rice balls off a roof and when a guy can't help it, youth off the ground, I'm gonna go down and stab him. But I always got caught every single time.
Speaker 1: I'm both people in that equation, you know.
Speaker 4: In San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Yeah, related, They were related enough. Jeff accounts and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: What I said, Yeah, they like quite as a choir was the main developer.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, are you back in the day. I never really played that much Tenshu.
Speaker 3: I think I rented one of them and thought it was kind of neat, but I think it seemed maybe at that point a little overwhelming to me.
Speaker 2: I see, I think the first Tensho is probably worth just like looking at as a point of curiosity.
Speaker 1: Now to continue down the curiosity train, I do kind of want to circle back to an older splinter Cell game, which, oh sure, I don't know why. I just want to hide in the shadows. Maybe that's how I feel right now.
Speaker 3: I always liked the saying the words Pandora Tomorrow together. I think, yeah, that's a good subtitle. It sounds like a Steven Stagall movie. And he's positive, Jan, Doorra Tomorrow.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 4: Wait, which one had the co op mode? Because there's a mode.
Speaker 1: That the TV mode?
Speaker 3: Is that what you're like?
Speaker 4: No Spy versus Marks was like early Xbox Live.
Speaker 2: Want to try I've never tried spices versus Marks. I want to do it so bad.
Speaker 4: Wait, so Conviction had the co op one? Jan, I would one hundred percent do co op splinter cell.
Speaker 1: Of you don't.
Speaker 3: Conviction is the one that's basically just a third person. I love him.
Speaker 4: That's the only one I really like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, imagine, want to do it one hundred Dan, let's do that.
Speaker 4: I'm writing this down, Yes, I say.
Speaker 3: Confiction is that the one I played through and I barely remember a thing about except the way it would write like giant mission objectives on the walls.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, Oh that was I thought that was kind of cool, the co op splinter cell mode. The two Sam Fisher's they had different night vision colors, right, I think?
Speaker 4: So, what was blue or something I did with Kayla when she was visiting once. Yeah, super fun. We did it a split screen. Could you still do it online today? Because like I do this Monday with you, we could do parse.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, yeah, we have to. We'll parsec it and we'll just run Yeah, I want to.
Speaker 4: It's bard well, that'd be ideal if we can.
Speaker 2: If it's backward compatible, just do that clearly. But if it's not, we could just run it on in an emulator on PARSEK and everyone parsecond and will be fine.
Speaker 1: Let me tell y'all, since I had to go into the office before UPF, I was playing Thug Pro completely through parsek. Oh really remoting straight into my home computer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, PARSK is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, free plug for PARSK fantastic. It's actually how half of the ship works around here now.
Speaker 4: It is backwards compatible convictions. Oh okay, okay, ship jan.
Speaker 1: Go okay, okay. Yeah, I gotta I gotta get my ducks in a row for that, but I would love to do that. If anyone has any other modern stealth games that they recommend. I kind of liked a Plague's Tale, but the rats just kind of made me too squeamish. If you're a hit Man. Oh yeah. The thing is, I don't play Hitman like a stealth game. It's just like a Monty Python film.
Speaker 4: For me, Solid.
Speaker 1: Five one of the greatest games of all time. But again, I don't play that as a stealth game. I just share that as like a weird action film where I can command my dog to poop. I wish I could do that in real life. Anyway. Speaking about thug pro Dan Riker, you have had the Skating Bug because you checked out Disney Extreme Skate Adventure.
Speaker 3: Checked it out, check it out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, no, I didn't know what the fuck you were talking about, girl, and he brought it up, and then I was like, there's no way, it's actually the Tony Hawk Engine and sure enough. Yeah. I streamed that over the weekend and it's just yeah, you can pick like Buzz Lightyear or Woody or whatever, or jungle Book Kid. But I was just there's like shoot children in it. They're like won a contest, and people were telling me that those are the best characters, and so I picked one. I gave night vision goggles like Sam Fisher and cool flame shirts and a skull mask and made him a real cool, badass kid. Skating around, uh, delivering ring tones the mister Nokia delivering McDonald's Like there were like polygonal rotating ps two McDonald's fries and quarter pounders and stuff, which made me really happy. It's just a fucking Tony Hawk four game with like Disney characters and stuff.
Speaker 2: Now Andy's room level, which we played in Thug Pro. It like is a good skateboarding.
Speaker 1: Fantastic Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: Like after we after I showed it to you on that I've talked about.
Speaker 1: This game many many times since I've known you all you're.
Speaker 3: Thinking brought up the specifically said Dan, you should play this.
Speaker 1: When we played it, told Grub.
Speaker 4: Brought it up. I think you you might have chimed in, but yeah, it's yeah. So it's like there's like a Huboard's like are you starting this like city thing to go? Do you want to go to the Jungle Book place? Do you want to go to uh the Tarzan place? Do you want to go to Andy's room?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: And yeah, it's it's fun. There's like a little army men in the toy story area giving you a quests and stuff. It's just a secret Tony Hawk game on the p S two.
Speaker 3: Okay, what what what?
Speaker 2: What's the best skateboarding game that wasn't the Tony Hawk's pro Skary grind Session?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Is a grind session? That is that? The Sony one that was Sony It's just like, yeah, PS one, we're gonna make our own Tony Hawk thing. And what was Konami's Okay, that was skate Evolution and have metal gear snake in it, right or something like that.
Speaker 2: People in trying to say skate I do mean like the Tony clones. There was a lot of Tonyak clones.
Speaker 3: I think people really like.
Speaker 1: That because there's like that inline skate one that line aggressive end line. You like that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, There's there's Matt alpham Is basically just Tony Hawk with a bike.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, there's the scooters one with the scooters me Razor scooters or yeah, there was all. Well, if we're going off the Tony Hawk clones, there's the Kelly Slater one, right, so weird.
Speaker 3: I tried playing that a year ago and it's where it has all these like interstitial like documentary videos between things that have like this aggressive surfer vibe to them. Is what I would say, Like, you know, the game itself is bizarre because it's you know, it's kind of Tony Hawk. Obviously, surfing in a wave is very different. It's much more rigid and specific what you have to do. It's kind of hard to get a grasp on it. It's weird, it exists.
Speaker 1: We want to talk about weird. There was also Wakeboarding Unleashed featuring Sean Murray.
Speaker 4: Sean, that's not the Red does Shawn White?
Speaker 3: I'm thinking, No, that's Sean White. You're thinking I played that skateboard game at like a million conferences. I assume it actually came out at something. It was the de commanded the demo.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't jive with me too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I brought this up like I had to be on this show like two weeks ago. But Johnny Moseley's Mad Tricks where he's like, what if it snowed in San Francisco, it's stuck in my head forever. I don't think I've ever actually played it. I've just seen that one clip of him.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's time.
Speaker 2: All right, Well let's make it happen. We should play a bunch of these is actually what I'm getting at.
Speaker 4: We should have more of these. I used to tell myself that too extreme was good. Oh no, it's not. It's not good. Was it one ext there's one extreme, two extreme and three extreme? Or is one extreme? It couldn't have just been called one extreme? Right?
Speaker 1: We are you talking about like X games?
Speaker 2: The first one it was called one extreme, the number one an extreme.
Speaker 4: Why wouldn't they just call it extreme? And then two extreme? Did they know that's weird?
Speaker 1: They knew you're ready, it's not crazy immediately.
Speaker 4: Two extreme is not great.
Speaker 1: It's extreme related in the same vein as all these other extreme games. Downhill Domination, I just need to shout out that game again. Oh yeah, that was great, so fucking cool.
Speaker 3: Dreams the one with street luging, Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could pick It's like a Diddy Kong racing. You could like skateboard, bike or street luge. I want to say, yeah, and you gotta beat wiz Pig insane.
Speaker 1: Should we have skate Week, sure, yeah, grind session.
Speaker 3: I mean you haven't put in a new skate deck.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe we should time out skate week for a week where you can't do blight Club. So we'll do Delight Club with Tony Hawk Ride.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have the controller.
Speaker 3: Wait what, who's going to be delighted by? What are we talking about?
Speaker 1: Delight?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's not a delight. That's a spike club.
Speaker 3: It's just going to be a blike club game sometime probably.
Speaker 1: Do you like Tony Hawk Ride? I don't know. We had a board at the office.
Speaker 4: Fucking terrible.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: There's an exemple the video of that pit bull playing it.
Speaker 1: Okay, somewhere on a hard drive buried in the Phantom office. His old footage that I made Gershman get on to a green screen on top of an Apple box with the Tony hawk Ride controller or the h the Jeff Gersmond pro Skater intro. That's one of my prost.
Speaker 2: He did a Christ there for one of the bits, right, Yeah, it was a shoot Christ there.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, let's see. Uh speaking about Disney extreme that is I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: That is my favorite thing about Jesus Christ. It's the Christ there. I just like, that's the coolest skateboard drink you can do. Thank you Jesus for that.
Speaker 1: Not the compassion to the poor, but it was a work. We can't do this right now, do maternal Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: Favorite games you can't do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that you thought this was a shoot. You're you're so concerned about it if he ate corn or not.
Speaker 4: Well, I think there was probably a shoot dude at some point, But I just don't believe all the water water and.
Speaker 3: Doom Maternal that's a shooting video game.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah.
Speaker 3: Jeff and I have a game club over on our like discord for our stuff, and right now we are playing through Doom Maternal. Seems timely with Doom the DARKI just coming out. And you know, I played this game when it came out and I liked it, but I did fall off a relatively quick for some reason. Like I will say, I remember back then thinking, boy, these.
Speaker 1: Levels are long.
Speaker 3: I don't know why that would be a problem, but it feels like a problem, especially in a game like this that's very you know, kind of high strong. It can't be stressful. I also got bullied by my chata to playing it on Ultra violence.
Speaker 1: So it's oh, pretty hard.
Speaker 4: Oh, because I've been watching you play it, I didn't realize I was on Ultra violin.
Speaker 3: It's it is fun that way because it is like a good challenge, but you know, it is like, yeah, it's like it's a taxing game. So there's something about the ninety minute levels sometimes where it's just like, oh man, we're still we're still just going through this same level. But boy, it is just very good when you get into the flow of things, right, I mean, it's just like it's predecessor. It's such the antidote what had to what have become those shooting gallery games of look down the scope, auto lock onto something. You get hit high behind cover, so your health free gens. Right, It's like, no this when you got.
Speaker 1: To keep moving.
Speaker 3: You gotta be swapping weapons constantly because some are better against different people. And you're sort of constantly worrying about Ammo. And then you're doing the chainsaw to get AMMO. You're doing the flamethrower to get armor, the glory kills to get health. It's just such a very very good flow going on there. And you know what, I like the first person platforming. I'm always under you kind of. I'm a sick go for that stuff. I grew up on Jumping Flash too, and I love Mir's Edge, you know, metch My Prime. Any any game of first person platforming, I know that is disgusting to some people.
Speaker 1: I like that shit. I'm good at it. I could first person platform with That's why I was so good at me on White, Jeff, I was in my element with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I'm ring there with you.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I've never played this, and I'm like, all the complaint is always there's too much of that stuff. I'm like, that sounds pretty good to me. So I'm excited that you're playing this and it's convinced me I'm gonna do the same.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Mike, but you didn't exist in my head yet when Neon White came out.
Speaker 3: I know it's okay, but I was very good at it, Jat, and I want you to know and be proud of me.
Speaker 1: You know what. I am proud of you, just like I am proud of Jeff Grubb. Checking out Mother three.
Speaker 2: I'm playing Mother three on my game Boy Advance. Well it's a ambernick and it's good. It's like playing a card for Yeah. I've never even played Earthbound. Really, I've started a couple of times, so I'm starting with Mother three, which is dumb and stupid, but I like it.
Speaker 3: So Mother three is basically sequel to Earthbound.
Speaker 2: They were originally making it for the sixty four d D and I remember those screenshots and magazines and then they're like, oh, we're canceling that we're making for the Game Boy Advance. It was like, okay, whatever, And I remember seeing images of him like this game looks really good, like the just visually it has a really good look, and that is definitely true now that I'm playing it. Every character has as their own like visual personality that really stands out, makes them feel fully formed. They have actual personalities when you're talking to them.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: And then there's you know, a lot of weird characters, but it really just feels like playing a cartoon or maybe a like a JRPG version of a LucasArts adventure game, where it's just like everybody does have such like like the movement is telling a story and like there's not a.
Speaker 3: Lot of huge blocks of dialogue.
Speaker 2: There's a few lines, and then everyone easy mooting really well, and then the combat is surprise, like has a cool surprise in it where I'm like, okay, is this just like Dragon Quest? Is it just you know, there's the enemy up there, I have my menu down here, and we're attacking it and so yeah, but guess what, there's this secret thing in here that you might accidentally discover like I did, where if you press the button at the right time, each enemy has a heartbeat, and if you time your button presses to their heartbeat, you can keep attacking.
Speaker 3: Them on and on and do like sixteen hit combos.
Speaker 2: And you have to like, it's not it is not very forgiving, and it doesn't like telegraph a lot of it, so you have to just kind of get on the game's wavelength. Now apparently I looked it up after this. There are ways to improve your ability to listen to their heartbeat, Like if you put an enemy to sleep, their heartbeat will become audible. Otherwise it's just silent, and you just have to like get in the groove with it. And I've been doing a lot of that because I don't have the sleep move yet, and I'm like getting pretty good where it's like I'm getting five six hit combos kind of every time now with my characters, and it's just because I'm like tapping my foot and I could kind of hear the beat in my head, so it's like keeping me super engaged. That's like my thing with grpgs. As soon as I begin to get a little disengaged from the combat, I lose steam. And the thing that has always helped is timed combat presses is enough for me to latch onto. And this is like one of the cooler implementations of that that I've seen. When you do it when as soon as you start up hitting the button on the second button press and you timed it correctly. Music No, it's actually pop up on the screen and you could see them circle around and like as you press them, they like, you know, burst as you get the timing right. It's just really well done. I think the biggest part of it, though, is I just really like looking at it. Game Boy Advance maybe has the most timeless looking games of all time, and Mother three is.
Speaker 3: Up there for sure. It just looks so nice. I'm really into what I played so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the GBA, I think that's where I cap out or talk where of my favorite Pokemon game looks like. I really liked how yeah Ruby and Yeah, I really thought that was really nice, as well as a bunch of other grpgs.
Speaker 2: More about that, just the English translation is done by fans. Fans you can have this skit off, but you can't turn it on done here right, Yeah. Yeah, so it's a fan translation and it's really well done. Uh, it's it feels like it could be done by Nintendo Treehouse. There's a lot of really good jokes.
Speaker 3: And stuff like that.
Speaker 2: It's I don't know, I've I've been popped a bunch of times and I kind of what I was expecting, very like vanilla, and so I was like very surprised by that. And that's like another thing that's keeping me going. It's just like, oh, the writing is really well done.
Speaker 4: Dumb question about Earthbound. So the first one, the Superintendent one that came out here, that is Mother one.
Speaker 3: No Mother one was in a Famicom slash any s game that we did not get.
Speaker 4: Is that the one we got on switch Online recently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's called Earthbound Beginnings now here now, So that's yeah, EarthBound's mother Toot.
Speaker 4: And I Am three is the one that never gave me well, so we basically just got mother too.
Speaker 1: We just got more two.
Speaker 3: Now we have Mother one and I Earthbound was like my most started, never got that far into game for the longest time, going back to like you know, actually renting it in stores and whatnot, and only just like six months ago, I finally sat down and really worked my way through it, and it one million percent lived up to the hype.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 3: It's one of those games where I beat and I just keep thinking about it constantly. I am now fully in the corner of all of the Earthbound freaks, like, oh, that game was great and special, and I really want to start playing Mother three sooner rather than later. There's always a part of me that's like, that title's gonna release that thing eventually, and I think they will, but I don't. There's no reason to think it's anytime soon still, and you know, it sounds like the fan translation is fantastic.
Speaker 1: I really play it right now now.
Speaker 4: I've started the original one, the Superintendent one that came out here several times because it's like, you know, it didn't have a lot of those trips like the fantasy RPG tropes that drive me away, so I thought maybe I'd like it, but like you might get like I fell off numerous times. I don't know if you're talking about the original or Mother three that you filled off of a bunch.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about Earthbound. Earth Bound for Seri.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's the one that I've started like a few times. It's been over ten years since I tried it, But like Grub also, you know, I'm like you with a lot of those games where it's like, you know, I love all the paper Marios Mario, you know mariin Luigi RPG's because just give me a little has something to do in the fights. Do you think if I tried it now, I could come around on earth Bound?
Speaker 1: Maybe just do Mother three?
Speaker 3: Then, h yeah, maybe try Mother three? Actually I think you could.
Speaker 2: You just have to like kind of push through the very very early parts where they aren't giving you a lot of direction, just like be like, oh I if I start going in a direction that feels right, it probably is right. And then as long as you kind of stick to that and try to see what you can do in the combat, I think, yeah, I think there's a chance.
Speaker 3: It's also like I think it.
Speaker 2: Makes for a pretty good Colorado Night game, right, It's like you could just like it's being humorous and fun and it's fun to like explore, and again it looks really nice, like.
Speaker 3: Weird in a way that I like, Yeah, that's great. Earthbound might be a superinteno one might be a harder cell thing because the combat is straightforward in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: It's very just.
Speaker 3: It's this dragon quest turn based stuff. There's a fun mechanic with the health where if you take a hit, your health kind of rolls down, said just suddenly get subtracted. So if you act fast and heal, you can stop yourself from taking a killing blow.
Speaker 1: Things like that.
Speaker 4: Okay, but you know.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, it's a kind of a straightforward JR. In a ways that I really appreciate and in ways that maybe won't work for you.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Earth Earthbound zero was mother one that came out here on the Wei. Was that right? We you first, but it's on the It's just on the NISO now it is okay, yeah, well I forget where it was first, but it's on ANISO.
Speaker 1: This is this is where the PK fire Kid comes in.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, it's from Earthbound and then and then Lucas is from Mother three Smash Characters. That was like the first deep cut because he was the hitting character in Smash Brothers and in sixty four m Right, I was like, whoa, I can't believe ness is in here? And you know, you go from that to we're getting sore in the game. Basically, it's a straight line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a straight line speaking about one JPG and bringing up another. Mike Minatti, I really want to check this out. I'm excited to hear what you have to say about Zeno Blade Chronicles X or Charlie XCX.
Speaker 3: Charlie XCX only only a couple hours into this one. I kind of have a weird history with the Zeno Blade games. I've played all of them except for the original Zeno Bla Chronicles X.
Speaker 1: I play through them, but you.
Speaker 2: Ain't play them to give them bad reviews.
Speaker 3: Now, I always liked them, and then I'm always always like, oh, people really like these, and I kind of come away a little bit, Oh, I think these are a little overrated. Three was definitely the one I liked the most. Three I thought was very good. I think the third act was a little weak and long, and I have an overall problem with the series where I think the combat gets somehow gets complicated but not deep, where there's it's like, here's all the things you have to do, and isn't a lot of things, but it's always the same thing you do no matter who you're fighting a lot of the time, so I went to see how that feels like. The first impressions are, oh, this feels like this almost feels more like Zeno Blade two than actual Zeno Blake two does, because that game changed up a lot of things with the way things play and the way characters look and whatnot. This one definitely has a lot of Zeno Blake chronicles. Chronicles one vibes with the aesthetic with even just the UI. But I like the story set up right. You know, it's a bunch of people flat Earth on a giant space arc kind of a thing, and now we're on the new planet with the scary life forms and the aliens still want us, and I guess what your main character? There's two trumps right away, silent protagonists, Amnesia.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's game I can't remember, can't say where you're at? Yeah I do.
Speaker 3: It is like you make your character, So that's a big difference from the other games where you you know your Rex or your Shulk, and it's this very bespokeed character. And part of me is like, okay, maybe that means this game isn't going to be quite as cut scene heavy and of course, the beginning has still had plenty of cut scenes.
Speaker 1: I just expect that for any RPG, especially j RPG.
Speaker 3: There's just a lot of setup there. But so there's things that I do like. The music is great, and it always is in these games. I always give it up for that. I do like the setting. There's kind of some Fantasy Star vibes with the it's specific take on sci fi, and like, yeah, there's any play games I've had sci fi, sure, but the sci fi element seems stronger here.
Speaker 1: And I do like that.
Speaker 3: They've teased the giant mech robots that I think you get to fly in eventually. So basically, I'm kind I'm kind of in a how long to mech robot phase right now? Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there I was watching the Game Spot show Thursdays on the Power Block and Jake Decker was talking about how it kind of is like a switcheroo because I don't believe the robots kick in Mike until forty or fifty hours into the game.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, yeah, ooh that's too long for a time. That's my other big I'm plant with these games. These games are always I think, way too long then they need to be they're always like eighty ninety hours long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's wild.
Speaker 3: I know, like Personas get Away with It, But boy, I don't think that many RPGs or JPGs need to be that long. And these games usually run out of juice for me at that point. I always like pushed myself through to the end. But I'm always like, boy, I wish this ended maybe thirty hours ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I given how slammed my schedule is lately, but my gaming preference is for maybe a GRPG. I would like maybe that I don't have to spend two weeks into a game. Maybe I just want to spend like a lovely afternoon or a Colorado night playing one. Perhaps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's why I like, you know, like before this, I was just playing Mario's Pitcross a Donkey Kong ninety four.
Speaker 1: That was, you know, a very good time.
Speaker 3: There was something about the hey, maybe this is the last game I play on I switch one. Aspect of it. That's sort of I don't know if it's neat. I guess I'm like, yeah, this game's kind of ugly. You know, it's a wee U game. I switched one. It's a definitive edition, but the switch isn't that much more powerful than a WEU, so I don't know. The texta is tiny, right, and just all these these the frame rates are not great, and I'm almost finding it kind of charming because I know I'm not going to be stuck with it from much one.
Speaker 1: Speaking about ugly looking games, Dan Reikert, you played one hell of a mess last week on Blike Club.
Speaker 4: I did no. The reason, yeah, and the reason I put it on here is because it didn't end at Blike Club. Well, I beat et for the Atari twenty six hundred on Blake Club, and now I am number ten on the Global speed Run Leader.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah player, oh yeahs on speedrun dot com. Get on it. My time's there.
Speaker 1: It's a legitimate one. I submitted it like a fucking week ago.
Speaker 4: I don't know who I need to like, what do you do if it's.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, the scene's just not active, there's nothing that many have come.
Speaker 4: On vitalize it. Yeah, I'm waiting.
Speaker 3: I gotta times up and then quit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got I beat the game in a minute forty one seconds or something like that, maybe minute forty four. But I should be nicely at number ten in the world.
Speaker 3: Speed running that game, it's gotta be a lot just hoping you get the right seed where some of the items are in geberal places.
Speaker 4: That's the thing is, like, there's two different kinds. There's the orange manipulation kind where if you hold in the button when you turn on the atari, you will guarantee the same item location. But that's not the one I wanted. I want to do the one where we actually have to like randomly run around and find the stuff for everything. And it's a lot of bullshit, a lot of just like you kind of have to get lucky at the end to make sure there's no FBI person or scientists on the screen when you call the ship. When the ship comes down, it's a it's a horseshit speed run to do, but it's very short, so I hit my head against it until I got on there.
Speaker 3: Cool, Jeff, you got a speed run one of your bad games. Now you're the only one. Yeah, Blues Brothers coming right up. Man, it's a play club game. Can you miss it? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So wait, Dan, after speed running it, how do you feel about ET Now?
Speaker 4: It's the worst game I've ever beaten.
Speaker 3: I'll do what I played through it after he did, and it was worse than I was expecting. Even after watching it play it. I can't believe how bad it feels to play that game. I cannot believe that game has a single defender, even if their motivation is pity for the band who had to make the game in a short type frame.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 3: You do not have to defend this terrible, awful video game.
Speaker 1: What is the studio that remade or like redid System Shock recently, not Dive Night Dive has more important things to do.
Speaker 4: Don't listen to Great's zero.
Speaker 1: What if we have Championship edition of ET.
Speaker 3: Just just add a lot of neon like no.
Speaker 1: Maybe like EAT can do like a click bullet time drift around one of the kind of sounds all right to me. Et.
Speaker 3: Championship edish is an incredible idea.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, someone needs to make that and then cut me a check immediately. Jeff Grubb, you've been getting down in the dirt all over again with Reckfest.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is out in early access now, and I think it's something we probably should try. I know the community like sad when we play Reckfest Reckfest two.
Speaker 3: It's very good.
Speaker 2: It's got the the you know, the damage modeling that I find very fascinating, where it's cool to see cars crumple and to see the wheel beginning to like wobble really hard, and it's like, yeah, this thing's about to break. And then you go around a turn and that wheel just goes flying off, and now you're down on just not even the rim, like whatever's on beneath the rim, and so turning becomes very difficult, and it just like looks better than it ever did in Reckfest one, which was already a really good looking game. You know, this is a demolition derby racing game, so it's more about you know, spectacular spectacular res and getting points for like ramming into your opponents and things like that than just exclusively winning the race. But then, you know, the racing model itself also feels really good and it's got all the things you want, power sliding and you know, kind of drifting behind or drafting behind characters and things like that. But overall it is still very early.
Speaker 3: Access it is, and not optimized at all.
Speaker 2: At least, you know, it was running thirty frames per second on high settings, not even the ultra settings on the fifty eighty. So I think it's probably a ways off from being a game that you can really recommend to people wholeheartedly. But I definitely had fun playing Well what is there so far? Went online a little bit and that was just, you know, kind of nonsense because it really is just everybody crushing into one another, and you know, the single player mode is not very robust.
Speaker 3: It is just quick race. That's it so far. Again early access, and the whole game is meant to be played multiplayer.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm I am into it, but it may it did make me want to like maybe check out BM BMD and BMG.
Speaker 3: X xxx bmx xxx exactly. I want to check that out. Finally, a horny video game.
Speaker 2: No BM beam G dot Drive, which is have you ever seen those tiktoks where like it's clearly a video game, but it like kind of looks like a real car and they're like, here's what happens when a Ford F one runs.
Speaker 3: Into a wall.
Speaker 1: Yes, I really like this me too.
Speaker 2: All of those are done in bamang Dot Drove cool, and so I'm like, I should go check that out because it has the super realistic physics modeling of damage and stuff at that point, Hey, get what's going on? Okay, all right, anyway, Reckfest two is pretty good.
Speaker 3: Now I'm gonna go deal with a human.
Speaker 1: Being speaking about Reckfest and cars getting wrecked. I did see a cyber truck go over a speed bump yesterday, and then the car cyber It kind of did because the cyber truck. I don't know how this person was trying to go over a speedbump. Generally I will slowly drive over one. Yeah, this person decided to take it at an angle, and then he got stuck.
Speaker 4: They don't have like an inspector gadget wheels that can go up.
Speaker 1: I don't think they have a lot of anything in those cars, Dan, Yeah, very stupid. Could you play Mario Karten those or something?
Speaker 4: They put Stardow Valley on it at one point.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Cyberpunk is on him as well. I think, Yeah, wonder so cool Dan.
Speaker 1: Last shoot game on the list here, Snatcher. Yeah. Uh you know.
Speaker 4: Adeo Kajima is a game developer. He's been around for a long time and did you know before Middle Year Solid he made a game called Snatcher and I played it for the Sega CD and let me tell you I booted that guy up and uh, it's like, wow, this is a for ninety four, this is cinematic, this is fucking cool. Verry Blade Runner influences on a sleeve. The music kicked ass. It was such such such a good intro, and I was like, all right, shit, I can't believe it took me this long to play it. And then I took control and you're like talking to someone and it's like talk, investigate, ask, Oh it's.
Speaker 1: An adventure game. Yeah, and I love this shit.
Speaker 4: So and then I stopped playing it. But it was really cool up until that point.
Speaker 3: What were you expecting going? Because I mean that is.
Speaker 4: I don't I just thought I wanted to stylish Kadima cinematic stuff, and it was all that until you just pick stuff from him into you and then it wasn't a video game, so I stopp playing.
Speaker 3: That's a video game still, Actually, video game video games could be.
Speaker 4: That way if you want them to be that way, but I don't.
Speaker 3: Okay, So there's a part of me that's not shocked that you don't like a Kajima game that's talkie and is a genre you don't like. But you also say constantly you don't like stealth games. I Melker Saw, but is a stealth game that's talking and from Kajima, So part of me doesn't necessarily understand that the.
Speaker 4: Stay I will take stealth like, look, I'm controlling character, I'm running around, I'm snapping next I'm like, even though I'm bad at stealth, i am doing cool stuff in Meddle Year solid. Selecting talking things from menu is not cool stuff to me, So I just had to back out of that.
Speaker 3: There's good stuff in there, though I definitely want to Snatcher sounds like way up my own.
Speaker 1: It'll probably be like, well, I like Metal Gearsalid One of Three a lot.
Speaker 3: It might not be my favorite Kajima game, but I bet I would appreciate Snatcher and Police Knots, which I think is pretty much the same style of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also want to check out Police Knots just because vibes yeah. All right, Before we go to Bricky Break, Nikki and I had a little impromptu, unsanctioned lights out GDCGB meet up last Thursday. Shouts out to everyone that was able to attend and stop by. There is this one person though, that showed up. It was very sweaty. He ran really hot, and he just spoke very fast, and he looked like he had a penchant for perhaps wearing a robe and sitting on a floor. And I just made the assumption that he really loved dogs.
Speaker 4: Shining.
Speaker 1: I think his name was like Mattias, Matthias Rory, I think interesting. And good old Roar Dog saw that I was getting into Magic and Rory. Forever the Enabler gave me a play matt and then two Lord of the Rings Magic the Gallery shouts out to good old roar Dog. Thankfully he did not fart in my vicinity this time, but even if he did, I'm sorry I wouldn't have been able to hear it because it was a big place. Forever the wild Card love you.
Speaker 3: Real quick.
Speaker 2: Just before we move on from games for good, Damn. You played a bunch of those Xbox Live Arcade games. Yeah, And I gotta say, like I I was looking for my Xbox three sixty that whole time I m the controller because I'm like, well, not all that stuff is going to be backward compatibil.
Speaker 3: All of it was backward compatible. You played all of that on Xbox Series X.
Speaker 4: Thing I played on that stream was backwards. I played all that on the Series X. There were ones that I wanted to play that were not on there. Sadly, there was not the Method Man Sour Patch Kids Capcom game. There was not Way of the Dog, the Snoop Dogg game, Bionic Commando Rearmed was not on there.
Speaker 3: That's okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there are there's yeah, there's just got to be on Steam though, right, Rearmed. I hope so that there's a toy that Castlevania game. Y'all finished the stream with, Yeah, weird, that is crazy.
Speaker 4: You see the whole fucking thing with all the enemies and the boss shooting a beam across the whole stage, like yeah wild, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, either way, that I just forgot how good that backward compatibility stuff. Boys, they did so much Like the fact that so many those Xbox XBLA games did work was really cool.
Speaker 4: And I really appreciate that because it's like there are certain things like I never really played Max Pain back in the day, and it's like, oh shit, those are backwards compatible and they run way better on the Series X, Like you wanna play Mercenaries Playground Destruction that is awesome on a Series X, like it really like looks good, runs good like. I really do like.
Speaker 3: How you know what else is great with backwards compatibility and the frame boosting and all that stuff. What's that the Mirror's Edge that's really good on there?
Speaker 1: Well? I got to do what an Xbox now, you know what?
Speaker 4: Okay, Jan, let's try to get splinter Cell co op working by Monday. If we hit any snags, or even if if I'm putting Mirror's Edge on the short list for the Recordslette on Monday, I'm writing that down. Okay, Mirror's Edge, backwards compati, I'm doing it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Bionic Commando and Bionic Commando re armed. You know they're both on Steam and bion A Commando two thousand and nine is very positive recent.
Speaker 3: Reviews for Really all Right, I'm gonna play that again.
Speaker 1: It's a good co op game too.
Speaker 4: Gonna say it again. The part where you say you're gonna fuck the worm Boss is the weirdest thing I've ever seen in a video game. Have I said this?
Speaker 1: I forgot that.
Speaker 4: It's the weirdest thing. The most I thought I was going crazy while playing a video game. I respect so much that they did that weird.
Speaker 3: Respect the fact that.
Speaker 4: It says it normal once and then if you die, you say you're gonna fuck the worm.
Speaker 3: It's so weird that I do respect it too.
Speaker 1: I guess I have to fuck it. Alright, folks, that does it for video game Talk. We're gonna take a quick breaking break and we will be back with the video game news.
Speaker 4: My god, you gotta hit the button off.
Speaker 1: There, all right. It seems like that ary folder only has three sounds. Another time.
Speaker 4: Let's see what the button three times?
Speaker 1: Jeff Grubb?
Speaker 3: There it is, all right, I got some news for everybody. Let's do this thing.
Speaker 2: Are we getting to Nintendo directs in the next seven days?
Speaker 3: Uh, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but there's definitely lots of smoke out there. Rumors suggest an emminent Nintendo Direct this week, preceding the switch to direct on April second, So a separate Nintendo Direct event for that or some sort of of Nintendo presentation. I guess it could be a partner direct or an indie show case, could be a bunch of different stuff. But you know, Andy Robinson was teasing this, and a prominent leaker from I think Brazil was leaking it, and now Nathan Hate saying something and I said from Brazil. Different, No, Andy Robinson in the UK, and then separate, I meant him a leaker in Brazil.
Speaker 3: And then I've heard.
Speaker 2: That there was something was supposed to happen back in February and it never happened for whatever reason. But they, you know, there were announcements that we're supposed to be a part of that that never happened.
Speaker 1: What world event happened in February event?
Speaker 2: I don't Yeah, it's possible as a world event, but I don't know that. Maybe they were worried about Jimmy Carter dying, Like you know, Nintendo's probably mostly just figuring out things because of the switch to.
Speaker 1: Is it is that when the pope entered the hospital, was it in February? Oh, maybe they worried about the pope.
Speaker 4: Dying on Black Club?
Speaker 3: That's right here.
Speaker 4: You stayed alive for the Blues Brothers.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Catholics, thank you. I uh, this is.
Speaker 3: Sorry, No, that's fine. That's just just the whole show. Now.
Speaker 2: This is if it's gonna happen, probably will be Thursday. I guess it could happen tomorrow, but I don't know what do we expect if a Nintendo Direct for the Switch one happens like six days before Switch days.
Speaker 4: Just give us all the little things that are going to come out before the you know, throughout the end of the year switch and then the big boys will be you next week.
Speaker 3: It's kind of weird because it's like, boy a partner direct. You gotta get people excited about third party Switch one games right now? Well, I mean what if it's not.
Speaker 2: I mean, because they have I believe Metroit Prime four that they need to talk about people.
Speaker 3: We're assuming they're saying that for switch to, right, Yeah, I still yeah, right, I don't know. Again, this is this is this is the old argument, Jeff. I think that is mostly getting prop shown off as a switch to game that's also coming on Switch one, and well then.
Speaker 2: Okay, then what about Metroit Prime two and three? Like they want to talk about that?
Speaker 1: Fantastic?
Speaker 3: I would love that, Yeah, like that would be great. But you know it's like, okay, like how much time? How much time do we have left until the Switch two comes out?
Speaker 1: At this point? Right? We don't know.
Speaker 3: They could just be a matter of months. So it's like, well, if we're going to be doing that stuff, we better you know, get on it. Here running out of time.
Speaker 2: I mean, like all the analysts think it'll be before like summer really gets started. Insider Gaming had a report today saying June. Other people have said late May. So you're right either way, there's not a lot of time based on what like all these rumors and expectations, you know, and even if it is coming out later this year, how much Nintendo really focused on stuff that isn't switched to It'll be weird.
Speaker 3: I mean that's why this whole thing feels weird.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think we talked last week Mike about uh they you know, could a Nintendo Direct get announced next week? It's like, no, they're not going to do one the week before they have the switch toothing. Well, now it sounds like they might.
Speaker 1: It's so it does weird stuff. Did you see? Uh they added Kirby and the Forgotten Land and.
Speaker 3: Nintendo Music, but only some of the tracks that are like the rest will come later this year.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: And there's just a new rumor coming out from Ecstasist, who is someone who's been had a lot of rumors recently, saying Metro Prime before Beyond isn't going to be featured at the Switch.
Speaker 3: To Direct next week. Okay, well then maybe you're right. Then what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Maybe it dance right and the game's just canceled, and then you'll.
Speaker 4: Critic Maybe I guess because John Cena turned heel and he was such a Metro.
Speaker 3: Defender, that's what it is. Yeah, x is x douse one s a good source. He's okay, Yeah, he's not bad. He said he's gotten a lot.
Speaker 1: I'm going to choose to believe he's a terrible.
Speaker 3: So because I want to see Metroid Prime four, well what did we see it through Prime four this week? Instead?
Speaker 1: That'd be crazy.
Speaker 4: I've decided I'm going to play. I'm gonna finally play the Metrod Primary Mastered. I'm gonna start that like this week, got in right, you had you had recently played it, like twenty twenty. I played through it on Dolphin with some Textra packs. But like I heard some of the good things with three masters in five years now, I'd like to go back to it, and then I would like that. I've never beat Metroid Prime two. I'd beat three and one a bunch, but I never even played so I did.
Speaker 1: Beat two good.
Speaker 3: I never beat two or three also, and I really want to, and I kind of have been just I've been waiting and hoping that they just released him on Switch. But you know, the closer coaster we get here to maybe bet our Prime four coming out, I might just pull out the Weiu.
Speaker 1: And my Metrod Prime trilogy and just do it that way.
Speaker 2: Well, I hey, we're not gonna have to wait long if this other direct is going to happen, and I don't know my expectations are.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. I really have no clue what to expect from this thing. I mean, I think if some of.
Speaker 2: This Partner stuff that I did hear about that was supposed to get announced happens, it'll be really weird, but not because of Nintendo stuff. You know, I can't seize it beyond that. But it's yeah, I don't know what to expect from Nintendo themselves at this thing.
Speaker 3: That's just my thing against like, oh much of Prime four at this direct before the big direct. It's like, if we're getting a direct this week, I am like, okay, partner direct or Indie direct, because I can't It's just weird that they would do a biggish switch one direct now maybe last month, but like a week or so before this thing. But again, Nintendo Weird company.
Speaker 1: They totally me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go ahead, jam police.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, maybe we see something completely out of left field. I mean, I don't want to invoke his name, but there's always Spoon Heaven, but perhaps we see more Tony OK pro Skater three and four stuff.
Speaker 4: They did it just about a video today with some gameplay, and it looks real good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, suburb Suburbia and that new water park level.
Speaker 4: Yes, it looks fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Spoon Heaven.
Speaker 3: It's like what Xbox was. The less people talk about that game again just recently, so pardon me, is like, maybe we see it Xbox, But Xbox they generally don't have many events except for that big Summer one and then you know whatever else they show. Yeah, they're the developer direct every once in a while. Yeah yeah, so maybe they'll maybe they won't do one of those, or in Heaven could just be a direct upon itself. I feel bad that I just say Spoon Heaven as a default, like some people like I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Hollioaw Night's silk song.
Speaker 4: What is that chat chat brings up a link between World's remaster? Oh my god, if they did, like link between Worlds or wind Waker or Twiler or like all of them.
Speaker 3: I would love that, right, I think, yeah, when Waker Trolley got to happen, I bet before that I would love the Between Worlds for sure.
Speaker 1: I love the game.
Speaker 3: That is a game where I think the three D is really cool though, and it will be a little bit of a farm, sure, but I'd rather do the work to fix it up permanent preseration. Maybe what's I actually play it? Like, I won't miss as much as I think I will.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's just say metro Prime four does show up at the direct this week.
Speaker 3: I mean, what are we think in a May release date for that?
Speaker 2: Like, is that is that possible so that it gets out before like if they're not associating with the switch to, you know, we are assuming things at this point. We're assuming that this new leak, which is in direct opposition to a leak we had a week or two ago that said Metterary Prime four is going to be a huge part of the switch To announcements. So we have both sides, But let's go with the one right now, that's the more recent one that says it's not going to be at the switch to. What like, what does that roll out look like if it's not going to be a hey, this is a switch to game in every way except for maybe just Switch two on the box.
Speaker 1: That's the quick victory lap, right, Like is the switch one not old?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then I think it does have to come out in May, right because you know, you know, if we're really talking about in the summer, like we're gonna have the switch To by the time summer comes around, which is now what every analyst continues to say, Then well, yeah it has been either that.
Speaker 3: Or early June or something like that.
Speaker 2: And then you kind of like loosely associate it with switch I don't know, It's like.
Speaker 3: At that point, I just don't know why you don't dis release it when comes out and do like the Breath of the Wild thing, like, yeah, here's the we you versions. I used to switch one version also, and maybe it's even the same game, right maybe right, maybe that same game just works in both of them. At that point, I just don't know why you don't just wait the switch too much.
Speaker 1: I mean, maybe you're right.
Speaker 2: I think, like you know, Sam bu Nice is pointing out the thing that we all remember, Breath of the Wild launched simultaneously on both consoles.
Speaker 3: Twilight Princes is the same thing.
Speaker 2: So I think we were all assuming, like that's what this probably should look like. But maybe Nintendo's got different ideas this time.
Speaker 3: I don't try to print this. Actually, a little bit later on the GameCube, like a week or something, was that it was definitely we you know, yeah, it might have been a week, but essentially, yeah, both at the same time. They made like ten copies of that. Anyhow, there's a part of it it's like, do I need to be enough of a GameCube collector freak that I need Twilight on the GameCube.
Speaker 4: I'm a bigger GameCube fan than you, that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you know about the eject button? Dan? Oh? Yeah, okay, well all right, geez boy, I didn't think it'll just get dugged on for bringing this up.
Speaker 4: You get a yellow label one somewhere.
Speaker 3: It's fine. Twilet Princess is worth it because it's mirrored right on the Wei.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the HD version fixed that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. HD version on Wetastic yes, that's that's my real thing.
Speaker 3: It's like, if I want to play Twilight Princess, I'll play that Wei version and eventually that version is going to be on switch to or switch or something.
Speaker 4: Right, So yeah, at some point, having recently played wind Waker HD on a Steam Deck, that's it's still so fucking good.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Uh, speaking of Nintendo, the Seattle Mariners which used to own Griffy, Yeah, King Griffy and Nintendo used to own part of that team. That team is going to where Nintendo and switch To logos on their jerseys this season. So Nintendo's already got plans to market this thing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Oh do you think we could order food on our switch tos?
Speaker 3: I hope, so you could do that on.
Speaker 4: The Yeah, let's all go to a Mariner's game and do that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I would love that.
Speaker 2: I like baseball, yeah yeah, and baseball, you know, very popular in Japan. So like Shoho Tani shows up for a game with the Seattle Seattle Mariners and all Japan will be watching, and that'll be money very well spent for.
Speaker 1: Do you think that?
Speaker 3: I mean, does this make you think that a new Mario baseball game is even more likely, or do you think this part? I think so.
Speaker 2: You know, we've had the Mario Super Sluggers rumors for a while now, and I think we were like, Okay, well, wouldn't they try to time that to the beginning of the baseball season. And I think we kind of talked ourselves out of them needing to do that.
Speaker 1: Do y'all know how many copies of a Mario baseball game they would sell if they put sho he Otani in it.
Speaker 2: I should just n think that it's like almost a certainty that he is in the Mario Sluggers game if if if that game.
Speaker 1: Time will cry this is he already.
Speaker 3: Does maybe the shootest man so.
Speaker 4: They could say he's from like New Dunk City and that's why like, yeah.
Speaker 3: He's from Los Angeles, but yeah, or I forgot that part of the play chronicles X.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I thought it was so funny, but you know, like you're escaping Earth that blew up and they're like, and we made a new output, so we named it after the city from Earth that was based on. I was like, oh, I was getting Paris, London, New York, and they're like New Los Angeles and for some reason that made me laugh.
Speaker 4: I loved it in the GameCube version of NBA Street Volume three where you Mario, Peach and Luigi and Me and Maharady played that a couple of years ago, and it's like, seemed like Carmelo Anthony dunk on Mario is the money is shit in the world. To me, it's good war that Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just doing a crossover with Mario is a pretty absurd thing to see New God of War coming this year.
Speaker 2: Maybe new God of War side story projects sit in Greece is reportedly coming this year.
Speaker 3: I heard about this. I talked about it on Blue Sky.
Speaker 2: I was trying to find out, Hey, what like there was all those rumors about a God of War Greek collection slash remaster around the time of the State of Play and that well, I heard it was not going to be in the State of Play, but if something God of War could happen around the anniversary. Now, nothing did happen around the anniversary. I don't know why that didn't happen, but it seems like something was supposed to happen and didn't.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So New God of War is a side project that is coming out this year, and it will start star the Greek Crados. So you know, I would probably set your expectations a little bit lower than like a Miles Morales.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, it quite a bit lower. Actually, it's kind of weird. I'm not I liked those games, especially back then. I don't know how much I'm hankering for a return to the Greek setting. They did a lot of those. There's the three numbered ones, and there were the three prequel ones, the two PSP ones we had, we had six of those. It's like, you know, I assume it's not gonna play like the old ones. It's gonna be it's gonna play like the new game. But we're gonna have edge Lord Kratos, which I was pretty tired of.
Speaker 1: Even a father Mike. What's wrong with being a father Mike?
Speaker 4: The ashes of his relatives.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying I like.
Speaker 3: I like him when he's a father of not the daughter he killed in those games. He has the yanks about it, right, I don't know. I guess I should be happy about getting a new games Apartment's like, actually, I think I'd rather you just gave me a nice collection, or maybe a really like a very nice remaster remake of the first game.
Speaker 1: I just I have a lot of questions about.
Speaker 3: What a new Greek God of War game even looks, Like, what's it? What is it about? Because and we already had these three sequels that are in between coals, and now we're going back to that time frame to see him being mad at some other god or demi god. Again, I don't know. I should see it before I'm too judging on it.
Speaker 1: Greb, do you think it may be similar to Valhalla that was kind of like a roguelike, just said, in the Greek pantheon instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like I'm I can only say so much more based on the information I was given. I know a bit more, but I'm just not allowed to talk about much more. And so again I would set your expect it's a different kind of game foundation kart racertcher, Okay, but put those two together and you got it. Whoa Yeah, kart racing Snatcher, like it's.
Speaker 4: A geometry war is like huh, okay, now we're talking.
Speaker 3: I either way.
Speaker 2: It's like I think that this is mostly them trying to find ways to get more God of War out there between Like what the core Sony Santa Monica is doing. You know, they've got a bunch of other stuff happening. This is not them necessarily.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, let's see here.
Speaker 2: Indiana Jones got its PS five release Date's coming out April seventeenth, so not even half a year later. I think it's a good amount of time. Like it's it came and it was very successful and people really liked that game, but it has already sort of left the public consciousness, and now it gets another chance to find a new audience on a console with even more people playing it. So I don't know, I think all everything about this seems like it's working.
Speaker 1: What do you Yeah, then you know it'll have another.
Speaker 3: At least boost some public consciousness when the DC comes out later this year, which is so happening.
Speaker 1: Damn good.
Speaker 3: I hope more people find this game. It's always so hard to get a sense of how successful an Xbox game is because of game Pass, because we only get the numbers that Microsoft wants us to have. You know, I think maybe this game did did well. It's I don't know, I think it's super popped off or anything like that. So yeah, I hope more people discuss check it out now that it's on PS.
Speaker 1: Five grub and everyone here. Do publishers factor in timed exclusivity when it comes to like sales numbers, like if the initial sales numbers not maybe if they're not necessarily the best, do they factor in like that second boom that I'll come in afterwards after that exclusivity window ends. I know that squeenets is very up in arms about that, but something with like Indiana.
Speaker 2: Jones, the only thing they count is the money. This is like I think we get bogged down and all kinds of different things when we're trying to figure out, like what's going on in the video game industry. The only thing these companies are ever counting is how much money did it cost and how much money did it make? Here is the P and L sheet, Here are the profits, here are the losses, And they don't at this At this point, there may be more mercenary about that than they've ever been, so like, yeah, a company like Microsoft is looking at it like, yeah, we can make more money in the profit column if we put it out on PlayStation and we don't care when we got that money, how we got that money. It is more money so yeah, they just put that all in a big bucket and say, this is the money that Indiana Jones made, and that's how it compares to the amount of money it costs to make Indiana Jones. Which number is bigger? And if the number on the left the profits are bigger, are they, like significantly bigger to the point where we can grow this team and maybe pay for some other projects for other teams, Then that's a real.
Speaker 3: Big success and we want to do more of it. And I think they're probably going to get there after the PlayStation launch with this game. For this all right, what is this about you being in an adventure game?
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 4: No before read only Memories, was.
Speaker 3: That the one there was? Oh that's right, yeah, voice for that?
Speaker 4: I did not know that was a snatcher thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a point and click sort of. Yeah, let me be the voice in your point of click eventure games. I actually like those games.
Speaker 4: Putting me in it and not match Noke's.
Speaker 2: Got a Mike's got a fun voice though, banks.
Speaker 3: How on my voices, my diaphragm. It's me video game character. I'm here to help you solve puzzles that you didn't ask for help.
Speaker 1: On Oh I got a good do you want to hear about my dead mother?
Speaker 3: Assassin's Creed Shadows is selling well.
Speaker 2: It's it's doing about as well as a lot of the recent games. It's just behind Valhalla is kind of what a lot of the analysis and you'd be soft as staying so, and Valhalla the best selling Assassin's Creed game ever, So this is probably gonna end up being the second best selling Assassin's Creed game. Uh, people are expecting it to do about six million.
Speaker 3: In the first week. You did two million and had two million players in.
Speaker 2: The first two days, and so yeah, it's it's it's doing very well. It's probably just not the oh solution to all of the things that ale you be soft like gets very far away from that. But we it was kind of going to be.
Speaker 3: Impossible for it to be that silver bullet, right. It's again, it's just it's so hard to tell how well is well enough anymore? These stays right because you say second best launch, like, well, that's great, but I bet would be soft was probably like, well, the numbers should go up this, this should be the biggest launch.
Speaker 1: Why isn't it right?
Speaker 3: So even that, which sounds like a good thing. And you, you know, any reasonable person should be happy with that, just the way the systems work. I won't say the C word. You want to always have the biggest launch. What don't worry.
Speaker 2: Cuckolding is what he was trying to say there, Yes, yeah, all right, let's see here, Mike's one of the worst games ever made could be coming to Steam. Uh, someone get got on the line. Big Rigs over the Road Racing, a notoriously terrible two thousand and three PC game, has appeared on steam dB with a potential Q two twenty twenty five release date. Developed by Stellar Stone and now possibly published by Marga Wright in Entertainment marjor right. Anyway, this used to be a game mill joint, So damn, why do you go pound the pavement, find out what's going on in your goddamn state over there.
Speaker 4: And see what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Get to the bottom of this.
Speaker 3: God, I always thought we should play this one for for Blake Chlobely, But is this already too much of the Varro's thing?
Speaker 1: Can we really mean?
Speaker 4: I think that would have to be the blae master's call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, I don't think so. It's a bad game. We could play it.
Speaker 3: We're gonna play all the bad games. Did I want to respect the Blake?
Speaker 2: Would care or want to be bothered by any of this? I don't think personally.
Speaker 4: We refer to them as the blae Master with proper respect.
Speaker 2: Hi, Alex, I respect you as a human man.
Speaker 3: I think, are you all right? You know, let me die, let me talk it back, mister Navarro.
Speaker 2: I think that it's okay if we play this game, but what we'll see I actually don't know.
Speaker 3: Does it fit well for anything other than a blightning round? Yeah, it would be definitely be a blightning round situation for sure. I'm not saying some of me think they're about this game is just the broken physics and the lack of collision. It's barely a game.
Speaker 1: Add an idea to the chalkboard. Uh, the next blightening round should be peripheral based games. I oh, this is just you, you Tony Hawk ride.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're just asking for Tony Hawk.
Speaker 3: He says. That's a delight though.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean there's got to be another peripheral there's a lot of bad it.
Speaker 4: You have to be.
Speaker 3: Going to play the Steel Battalion Connect game that's.
Speaker 4: Per I guess the connect is isn't that how long?
Speaker 1: To be?
Speaker 4: Way too long on that one? Like weird actually might have played pretty long? Yeah, like for a Connect game yet fifteen hours? Wait?
Speaker 1: Is that one called heavy armor?
Speaker 3: No? Wait?
Speaker 4: Yes, heavy armor, heavy armor? Sixteen hours of no, no, I'm going to break both of my arms.
Speaker 1: Well, just keep just keep in mind.
Speaker 3: Are the possibility of us giving you that one when next time you think about doing something shitty.
Speaker 2: I do like the idea of you having to have prosthetic arms you sort of to wave around with your shoulders to play, and connecting.
Speaker 1: You a razor and gizmo to be your arms. O. Yeah, all right, what were they thinking? Man?
Speaker 3: I like, do Maternal is like sixteen hours long? And I'm like, that's a little long for this. I like this game a lot, but I'm going to be exhausted by then. Sixteen hours for this fucking bad connected mechan Also, like.
Speaker 2: It's a game where you try to do things with the connect by like moving your hand over to a dial.
Speaker 3: The connect will struggle with that, so it's got to be longer.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that's sixteen hours factors in, like you trying to do something thirty times before it actually works.
Speaker 4: I belaved that at an Xbox pres event, and I remember it was like in one of those rooms that was like meant to work for the Connect and it was like a room that was built for Connect and I still couldn't get anything to work.
Speaker 3: That was the worst thing. That was like the biggest like thing against it. Like, here's these rooms built for the Connect, it still doesn't fuck you work. It's incredible they sold as many of those as they did and got tricked in to thinking that they had to bundle with the Xbox One because that thing was always a piece of sh the We.
Speaker 2: Did a lot to this industry, and there's a lot of them that maybe not so positive. Is all Steel Battalion or specifically this one from Soft? Or is this another one I made up?
Speaker 3: I can't remember this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but no from Soft worked on the first Steel Battalion Okay, yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: First Soft worked on this one as well, which is.
Speaker 3: Wild Just a clectic developer, all right, So anyway, Big Rigg's coming to Steam and Q two. I guess that's I'll try it. I never actually played this game. I've always been curious about it. I did see.
Speaker 2: I remember seeing Alex to Borrow play it at Awesome Games Done Quick and just putting that thing in reverse and having it fly across the train at light speed was an amazing thing.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've ever seen it in action.
Speaker 1: I don't know, uh, well, what's bad time, but I bet it's ugly, definitely that I can tell you what I bet is so bad about it the controls.
Speaker 3: I think that's the problem. Analog three D has been delayed.
Speaker 2: It's a bummer. Analogs upcoming FPGA Nintendo sixty four. The Analog three D has been delayed again. It is now expected to ship in July instead of the previously planned first quarter of twenty twenty five. Yeah, we were getting to the end of March and I was like, I bought one of those where is it animal?
Speaker 3: Well, here it is. It's coming out in July.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: It's still two hundred and.
Speaker 2: Fifty dollars, although I bet in that next wave they might raise the price because of tariffs.
Speaker 3: They haven't said much more about what's going on here. I wonder if it's.
Speaker 2: Just like sourcing parts actually is a little bit difficult for because there's a lot more FPGA shit happening these days, So when if they are just struggling and competing for each of those components, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just need some way to play a Nintendo sixty four games.
Speaker 2: Yeah we've been by, Yeah, we've been deprived so long, and so to have to wait a few more months before I could play anything on Nintendo sixty four is really painful.
Speaker 4: The honest question is, right now, in your house, how many devices do you think you can play Mario sixty four? Well on okay, I would say I'm guessing fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's like there are like there are ten handhelds at least that could. Then there is my phone that cuts yep, so that's eleven.
Speaker 4: I have like four actual N sixty four's that could play it.
Speaker 3: Okay, if I.
Speaker 2: Count all the PCs that are just turned on, not even the ones, not even the ones that are in this house, because there's like two under this table that could, but just the ones that are plugged in, yeah, that would be another three. So that's like fourteen. And then there's the actually there's the actual N sixty four. There is the mister I just got set up with before. Yeah, the other day, so yeah, I'm at like sixteen off the top of my head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I don't think about maybe twenty to twenty five for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could probably get up there. Yeah, oh yeah, I've never defended my self. I am in a in the town sixty four mood.
Speaker 1: I think I will probably plug in mind. You're not allowed.
Speaker 3: You don't show that console enough respect.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm I'm gonna give another chance. Even finally doesn't.
Speaker 3: Suck ass, You're just gonna hurt me again. There find all my my cartridges, like from my child and stuff. I have some good ones. So I'm like, I'm gonna mood to play Jet War's Gemini. I think it's a weird kind of good weird back. I want to be the guy who beats Jet Force's Gemini on a stream.
Speaker 1: I think that, and I think I question Junior.
Speaker 3: Actually, I have gold and at some point I want to play Golden Eye and see how I really feel about it after I finish it and everything.
Speaker 4: It's fantastic.
Speaker 3: It's a good game.
Speaker 2: Oh that that did remind me me yelling at you. You're also not allowed to play Mother three with the fan translation because that's a mod and.
Speaker 1: You're not allow different okay, come on.
Speaker 5: Not allowed to use mods? No, I am not look obviously and white damn it one absolutes. Oh shit, now you cut to.
Speaker 3: The heart of me. How dare you all right?
Speaker 2: Last story here that I have Jeff Kelley and Christopher During announced new publication, The Game Business. Jeff Keey and Christopher Ring have launched The Game Business TGB, a new business publication.
Speaker 3: For the game and gaming industry.
Speaker 2: TGB will offer podcast, newsletters, and a physical event called The Game Business Live alongside Summer Game Fest. It aims to provide industry insights and foster discussions about the gaming business and its future. I'm not too surprised about this because maybe at once upon a time I worked at a place that often talked to you about maybe getting acquired. What is this competition for games being no, no, and so yeah, they're cool. I think seeing that they're going to do the live events, that also makes a lot of sense. I think Dring has had experience setting up those kinds of things and just doing it right alongside Summer Game Fest. That is going to kind of bring back Seek three in some ways.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: So this is a smart move and I really like drink. He is a smart, sharp guy, So looking forward to him being able to continue to do what he does best, which is just reporting on the gaming business, and Jeff Keeley should be a good partner for that as well.
Speaker 3: You know, there was some other stuff that popped off. Someone just messaged me about it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's the thing that we kind of knew what was happening, but now reports are getting confirmation from a bunch of different publishers. GTA six really is causing every major studio to think about not just like like holding back on announcing their release dates, but straight up delaying their games. They're now just like fully admitting this at least, you know, internally to one another enough that it can get reported. So if this weird has felt like if this year has felt weird about like, oh, you know, I'm just not looking forward to a lot. There's just you know, are there games that I know are going to be on my top ten list at the end of the year, that I even know are coming out, Well, it's all just because of g t A six. People don't know when it's gonna happen, and it's causing a lot of strife for people who have to decide release.
Speaker 3: That sucks a lot for people pressed like myself that don't necessarily care that much about GT.
Speaker 1: No, I'll say it, I don't fucking care about GT A six, Give me everything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's annoying that, Like, yeah, they're like, I won't be getting other games maybe because they're going to be afraid to launch within three months of GT six. At least, you know, Nintendo's not going to have that worry, So I'm not too worried about, like say, a Mario game coming out in December, but like the idea that Microsoft might not release you know, Perfect Dark, whatever have you this year because of that.
Speaker 1: It's annoying. So how is this grub supposed to save the games industry? If Rising Tide raises all ships?
Speaker 3: Right, that's what that's basically six.
Speaker 2: Darl Marx is really worried about GD six is launch? Yeah, that is the argument. That's the But Mike's right, that's what a lot of analysts are saying, Like it will generate more money coming into.
Speaker 3: Video games as a whole.
Speaker 2: Uh, and so the average will go up, right, But don't like looking at into the numbers beyond that, because it's like, Okay, well, there's the haves and the haves not have nots. There's the averages going up because the people at the top just got a ton more money and everyone else is still fighting over scraps.
Speaker 3: It's a lot like our economic system and how it works.
Speaker 2: Overall, I think that GTA six has only ever had limited potential to really change the story of how people are feeling about gaming, and it's how it's prospering or not. It was going to help Take two, of course, but.
Speaker 1: It might help the consoles a bit because it's going to see Yes, it'll.
Speaker 3: Help the consoles a bit, but do we I don't.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if it's going to then lead to someone buying another game right alongside of it or even at the same time.
Speaker 3: Probably not, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: Switch to that will help, you know, that will There's a lot of different kinds of games that can thrive on a switch system, and switch to will kind of reignite that. So maybe between those two things it'll offset some of the stuff. But you know, those stories we're here coming out.
Speaker 3: Of GDC for the last little bit have been Yeah.
Speaker 2: Everyone's feeling really gloomy, like the survive to twenty five crowd. Everyone's like, yeah, we were just kind of telling ourselves that we're in twenty twenty five and it's not any better. So yeah, I think we're gonna have to just kind of get over both of these things to switch to the G in GT six's launch and then actually sit down and figure out like, Okay, how can we make this industry better?
Speaker 3: And no one really knows at this point.
Speaker 2: All right, that does it for the news that I have in front of me, jan Ochoa, I'm handing this ship back over to you.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. Well, we're going to go take a quick bricky break and we will be back with the emails. Okay, fine, all right, alright, alright. BombCast at GiantBomb dot com is the email addressed to send all of your lovely emails to. I try and read each and every one of them. Please do not be offended if your email does not make it into the show. Nothing personal special shouts out to a lovely user that sent it a very heartfelt email. I'll spare everyone the mushy gushiness, but appreciate you for appreciating us. You know that's a little Aura Borius, a love human sentipede to love, as they call it in the biz ry. First email comes from John in Portugal. High Bombers. It's been three months since the Game Awards and I'm still mad at Jeff Keeley, not because of any award or game announcement, but because he did not bring a monk to sing the orchestra for metaphor. I stayed awake until six A on the belief that I would hear a monks sing that drop with a live orchestra, and when it didn't happen, I felt betrayed like never before. Anyway, what's the most angry slash disappointed you have been at a gaming show that's not related to an announcement and award. Personally, I'm not sure I will ever be able to trust a heelly again. Yes, loving the new Power Block, Sincerely John from Portugal.
Speaker 3: Thanks John from Portugal.
Speaker 2: Instead of a monk, and I know he's dead, but he's just been in my head a lot recently for recent events on this website.
Speaker 3: What have they got ODIB Apart from a metaphor refontasio, I.
Speaker 4: Recently learned that there is a young dirty bastard that is odb's shoot son he's not an official member of the Wu Tank Lamb, but he's part of the Kilobes, so he's part of the affiliated Wu Tang family. But yes, young dirty Bastard he does the hair and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So we because I have like the same kind.
Speaker 3: Of crazy, like, oh baby, I like you like that? Can you do that?
Speaker 1: You do that?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what I'm saying, I'm just like I'm gonna just go nuts and be insane.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's that's what I want.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I need to listen to young Dirty Bastard and see if he's any good.
Speaker 1: But Mike Manatti, do you know the song Fantasy by Mariah Carey? Maybe could you sing it? All right? Look at that controller dance holding?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Edwards, you know that thing feels way worse to hold than you're even a.
Speaker 4: Mad Absolutely, yes.
Speaker 1: God, we we need to do. Mike Manatti, you need to do both parts of Mariah Carey and ODB in Fantasy. Uh. It's the superior version of the song. Is it?
Speaker 4: Me and Mariah go back like babies and pass.
Speaker 3: Babies. I think that Jeff Keey should have gotten them up at Sweetham's to do the throat singing Okay, Oh, I think that'd be fun.
Speaker 1: I would have liked more muppets that one year. That's been true.
Speaker 4: The most mad I've been was when they would try to do like a you know, t bag jokes and just the most like low hanging Spike TV video game shows. But the worst effort that I still think about is, uh, they were going to show a trailer for SSX Deadly Descent at the time, and they brought some I don't know hot lady up to go to the mic ands like I love sex. Oh I read that wrong. It's s s X, And I was like, oh, fuck everything about this. This sucks so bad.
Speaker 3: I really did get mad at the whole.
Speaker 2: Joel McHale posted year like that was just it was just that it was awkward and bad.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, the Spike ones were rough, man, it was just a lot of like I just hate forced gamer humor stuff. It's just it's nubes. It's the nubes, you know, tone.
Speaker 3: I do you remember getting mad like I think the first Spike Game Awards was just the Madden that year, that one game of the Year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, upset me greatly. I'm mad that no one has ever been slimed at the Game Awards.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, yeah, I wonder who the most problematic person is who's been slimed?
Speaker 1: Like people?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure p Dido at some points.
Speaker 1: Hogan ever been slimed.
Speaker 4: He had to list of people who have been slimed Nickelodeon.
Speaker 2: Donald Rumsfeld probably, yeah.
Speaker 4: Let's see, Okay, this is just a Google thing here, Katy Perry, halle Berry, Harrison Ford, the Olsens, d J Colled, Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey. You know they've had their flirtations with a cancelation justin.
Speaker 3: Peter Beard, right, just weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Carrie, Well, Carrie had some periods of like some weird stuff. He was talking about John Carry, Uh, John Carry, John Carry slid.
Speaker 1: Oh did they ever slime? Bill Cosby, Uh, I.
Speaker 2: Think you got at the same time as Henry Kissinger.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, that makes sense Cosby slime. Just be careful with that Google search. Yeah, yeah, okay, maybe I should have added the word nicolo.
Speaker 4: Let's take the slim gimmick and let's bring it to our couch for Jeff.
Speaker 2: Like they couldn't copyright that. No, yeah, let's make it not your cheese.
Speaker 4: Then it's our own thing. Okay, sure, well not like boiling hot like Game of Thrones melt your head type stuff, but.
Speaker 1: Like, oh taste good.
Speaker 3: Sam Lake would love to be slimed Sam Sam like would be so down for that. Only ever slimed Sam Lake. Every Like we just rejected him and only him. We would never mention it.
Speaker 1: Like it's weird a nice suit. This is just like the sugar cubes bit from last year where he just handed Sam like a big container of sugar cubes that he held on to it for a good chow time. All right. Next email comes from itsy buns Hi gang. Can we please get an update from the alarmo users. You're still using it? Yeah, you're still enjoying it. Do you recommend it?
Speaker 3: Don't lie? Or well no, no, regardless, it's the best alarm clock I've ever had. I still use it like we had the new Retro Mario update. There's some kind of just os update, yes or something. I love my alarm Oh, I'm a giant fan of it. It's it's helped my sleeping schedule immensely.
Speaker 4: I use it as a clock I have. I said it to the new Mario thing and it's I don't really set alarms on it these days, but it is a nice little clock.
Speaker 2: They did update it with new features so you can do stuff like set different times you want to wake up on different days before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh that be nice.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a little bit more useful as an alarm clock now, although I've always I've enjoyed using it.
Speaker 3: I like it a lot.
Speaker 4: So I update on Young Dirty Bastard from Cosbo in the chat. Younger Dirty Bastard has six children and seems fucking crazy, so he's following in his.
Speaker 3: Yeah cool fuck yeah tell yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh have you all seen how many children Nick Cannon has?
Speaker 3: No, I can't count.
Speaker 4: That's a lot for Jacob Pattoo.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, I would show up to Jacob Fotoo's kids' birthdays as like an ad. Of course you should do that. Did you have grandparents that also had like ten siblings or something? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Mike, I had like seven eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I'm making a lot more kids back then? Can I bring something up?
Speaker 4: This is a I was speaking of grandparents. I was texting my dad about this yesterday. The great mystery of my childhood and perhaps life is their VCR. So you know, growing up it was the VCR era of the nineties, and I would, you know, spend the night at my grandparents place a lot and they had the living room TV. That was the one room in the house that had a TV was the living room. Uh huh. You rent something from Blockbuster. You had to go into the library, so it was like down a hall far away from the living room thing, and then you had to turn into this room and then it was there's no TV in there. You had open up a dresser and there was a VCR in there and that's where you had to put the tape that would play way back in the living room.
Speaker 2: Oh, they had like central VCR like central air.
Speaker 4: It was like there's only one TV and one VCR and there were several rooms away from each other.
Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 4: That's fucking insane, right, And I said to my dad, was like why like neither of us know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wonder if I wonder if they just like had it installed by a professional, like Okay, we'll do this, and they have like an entercom system or something like that where the yeah, probably the same person set it up. Ands like let's just have a central system for all of your A V equipment here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a weird way.
Speaker 3: Tomorro Hussein logged in to chat just to say that alarmo is annoying.
Speaker 4: Uh, only if you have the alarm on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then all alarms are annoying. I yeah, it's an alarm.
Speaker 1: Oh I like.
Speaker 3: How which people don't like the alarm I didn't like didn't like it.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a dunk.
Speaker 4: I think it looks great.
Speaker 1: Sam, Come on, y'all, Oh, this is good. People will like this.
Speaker 4: By the way, Sam, and the chat. If you want to see some Tam, stay tuned after this on the parable.
Speaker 3: That's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: We're just gonna plug at the end, Daran. But he was right here.
Speaker 4: We just said, Tam, I was thought you were the Segway master.
Speaker 1: Next email fight fight fight. All right, let's see what magic eight ball of sounds. What does this say?
Speaker 3: Is that? The only thing it this one?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh? All right? Anyway? Uh. Pete in Connecticut Hey bomb cast Jane has alluded to or out right said that in the past he had used nicotine pouches. He was working on kicking an overall nicotine habit that he developed in his thirties for some fucking reason I used to be a smoker. They didn't write that I had just tortalized. I used to be a smoker, but stopped in my early twenties now late thirties. But had it started to dabble with nicotine pouches when they became popular. I've now started as an alternative to use nicotine toothpicks instead. They come in both nicotine or caffeine variety. So he switched back and forth. My question to you, is it more douchey or less douchey to walk around with a toothpick in your mouth versus packing a pouch in your lip let? Thank you for all you do. Peaton, Connecticut.
Speaker 3: Jeff Backlard does toothpick thing, and he is not a douchebag. I like toothpicks. Yeah, I like that toothpick. Look, maybe I just grew up in with too much eighties and early nineties media. Yeah you got a toothpick. You're a cool guy.
Speaker 2: I do feel like it's like insisting upon yourself a little bit, So I don't know if I feel like I could pull it off, I would feel yeah, yeah, okay, thank you for confirming that and making me more self conscious you.
Speaker 1: Be like a lollipop guy though.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I don't want to be suggestive either, So yeah, yeah, a big baby one.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, you got like a bonnet?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I seen or nicotine could possibly be transferred by a toothpick. I'll go find out, y'all.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be Homer Simpsons jan with eight hundred toothpicks in his mouth.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get what what's that horror movie?
Speaker 3: Guy?
Speaker 4: Uhhead?
Speaker 1: Like pinhead, I'm just gonna be pitted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nicketine tooth Oh yeah, you just acupuncture with nicotine toothpicks?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have always wanted to like flick a toothpick at someone.
Speaker 4: It's fun to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good move.
Speaker 4: Amazon says fifteen milligrams caffeine per pick. So forella, I'm holding a Baja Blast zero sugar and this is has a sixty eight and a can. So it's like, you know, a little less than a quarter of amountain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like how much is being transferred by just like well, you eat how you eat the toothpick?
Speaker 3: Of course? Well I eat all toothpicks, yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe that explains the sunflower seed situation from a couple.
Speaker 3: Of I forgot you don't talk about that. We don't talk about that.
Speaker 1: All right, all right? Right? You know power block there's new cannon involved.
Speaker 3: The power blockage more like, oh, okay.
Speaker 1: All right, there we go. Next email comes from Chris in Dayton, Ohio. Uh, this is a this is the long ones? Howeveryone strap in? Have you ever loved a game despite a large portion of it rubbing you the wrong way? For example, Monster Hunter? All have fantastic gameplay for different reasons. I love the feeling of swinging a giant weapon at these well designed, well rendered nightmare beasts. I would strike fear into the heart of anyone who would be doomed to share the world with them. However, the stores in these games are absolutely, irredeemably awful. Wild is the horst in that regard. Why would you let a child come with you on every hunt? Why is everyone so chipper when you save someone from a giant bird, scorpion oil monster? Why do they act as if they were barely inconvenienced by their mortal danger. The story seems like it would have some stakes, but all characters cheery ass attitudes towards everything just rubbs me entirely the wrong way. I can't even just skip all the cut scenes because they interrupt the gameplay with these walk and talk scenarios every mission. The tone of the gameplay portion of these games seems to directly clash with a tone of the story portion of the game. Granted, I'm only ten hours into it. Ten hours is a long time, so maybe it gets better.
Speaker 3: Probably you're not story I I actually just beat it and you're practically there. No, the story does not get any better.
Speaker 1: Because I remember other games in the series that I mentioned having the same tone. The opposite example, Gardens of the Galaxy gameplay is shallow and repetitive. There's zero challenge in any of the encounters. The combat has the depth of a puddle. The puzzles are all pretty simple. Anything that didn't involve story was to me an absolute snooze fest. But the realistic relationships between characters, hartful moments with the child in game in large, your narrative of the story gripped me in a way. If you have, I ranked it as one of my favorite games solely for the narrative, my opinion. Notwithstanding, have you folks ever had this type of relationship with a game. What's the game you love for gameplay but hated the story, or a game that you love for the story but hate the gameplay. Thanks Chris from Dane Ohio, PS Mike and Grubb King's Island receider point point.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We talked about Neon Wait earlier when I love the gameplay of that and like the story for sure. Yeah, this story was just like these talking heads being kind of mem and trying to be funny, and I don't know, the vibe was just weird. It was a weird vibe in that.
Speaker 2: That's my thing with this question is if I am enjoying the gameplay and hate a story, I am ignoring the story in any way I can. If that means skipping the cut scenes, I'm skipping the cut scenes.
Speaker 3: If they have to play.
Speaker 2: I am not paying attention to them. And I'm it is not even phasing anymore. I am just like, okay, back to the gameplay, and I don't even know what just happened in the so it doesn't I take what I need and I leave what I don't.
Speaker 4: Hate The story is a strong term, but like with Death Stranding, the thing I really came around on was the gameplay. But it's weird because, like I think the story is total nonsense, but every time a cutscene did start, it's coming like all right, what are we doing here? Like, you know, it's fascinated by it, even though I think it just doesn't make any goddamn sense, you know, yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's not story. I still feel a little bit weird about Metal Gear Solid five and Quiet that's oh oh, weird character. And it's it's not even that you dresses sexy, that's fine, but like it's to go watch her take a shower and then she's in the ship with you and she literally just shoves her ass like in your face, kind of literally, And there was the whole Kojima like weird, Like it's not weird. You are all actually bad people for thinking it was weird justification of it, Like everything about Quiet, It is just.
Speaker 1: Kind of weird about that game.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your parts are near automata that I don't necessarily need. Yeah yeah, parts of that game, you know, like when they said fuck, yeah, that's right. Uh Fuga Melodies of Steel. For as much as throwing children into the soul can a is a major component, sometimes I just don't care about these little cat children. I just want to use their souls to defeat my enemies.
Speaker 4: Alright, Oh oh Prince of Persia the Lost Crown. Yes, I love everything about that game except for the story. That is just a nothing story there.
Speaker 1: See, I usually have a decent tolerance of stories. That one didn't bother me.
Speaker 3: That it didn't bother me.
Speaker 4: It wasn't actively. It was just like kind of nothing. I wasn't like actively like oh god, I hate this. It was just like, oh, this is doing nothing for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it didn't take anything away from me for sure.
Speaker 1: Uh. I was trying to think of Kingdom hearts fit in this mold. But no, it's a perfect game. Yeah, us no notes. We got a couple of questions from Travis and Fargo.
Speaker 2: Here he hurt me once? Can we trust him?
Speaker 1: Hey, smoke on the streets. Is that Travis has not been travy two time?
Speaker 3: He's been so sorry.
Speaker 1: We'll just well, we'll play off a couple. Well, we'll play a couple of questions. I would love to hear the GB Cruise, especially mister Manati Minati's opinion on what Disney movie has the best chance of actually being a good live action adaptation. Mm hmmm, uh, it's so weird.
Speaker 3: What's the best one so far? Is it the best one? As far as jungle Book?
Speaker 1: Jungle Book?
Speaker 4: Did they do in Aladdin one?
Speaker 1: Yes? Will Smith?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, Will Smith was the g.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna say it's terrible.
Speaker 3: I don't know if feels good.
Speaker 1: I eventually liked it, Okay, I say it.
Speaker 3: Atlantis probably makes the most sense because that was just sort of a pulpy adventure movie. Anyways, with all of them, though, like I think animation is such a good format already, and you could just be more creative in a laws with animation, because with live action movies, it's always this thing of well CG and live action look different. When things are animated, it's all just drawn. I sometimes they'll do three D elements and maybe that could be able to jaring, but things generally blend much better on animation, and you could do anything in animation basically for as much as doing anything else right, Like you want to have a giant robot character, that's not necessarily more difficult than having a tiny child character because it's just all animated. So it's like they can do it with all of them, and clearly they are, because they are just doing the fact that they even did Snowing seven jawars is absolutely wild and baffling. I think something like Leland's Stitch makes a little bit more sad.
Speaker 1: I just rewatched Lelo and Stitch, and it is. It holds up. It's absolutely endearing and amazing. I don't know if I need a live action of it.
Speaker 3: No, but I tek what Stitch is really popular and like super like right now, still very popular all night and if you nieces are very excited for that one, so I bet that. I bet that one's going to make a lot more money than this weird snow White one did. But yeah, like Atlantis probably makes sense. I'm trying to think of there's like, you know Atlantis.
Speaker 2: I thought you were saying Atlantis. Oh no, no, she's already live action, Mike. I don't know if you know the Suncing City Atlantis. It's like, yeah, like Once that mostly star humans, I think is what we should be looking for, not Once that star exclusively animals.
Speaker 3: That Ship and Dale movie was pretty good.
Speaker 1: That's not a live action remake, that's just.
Speaker 3: The live action reimagining. They animated characters.
Speaker 1: Two ideas here one, Let's do a Treasure Planet movie just because I really like that movie and it's already planet underciated. Uhu sub point with subpoint with with point number one. Have Tanner Buchanan from the Cobra Kai series be the main dude, Jim, I think his name is two. Here's how we save the Disney live action movie folks. Everyone sit down, everyone buckle up. Okay, right, here's what you do. People are upset about these live action now dan is actually shoot down. People are set about these live action movies. Right, some of them feel like, where's this going? This so unoriginal? But perhaps the road and the story we were trying to tell this whole time is that it was all about friendship. It's all about the friends that we're making along the way. And maybe we've been gatekeeping. Maybe we've been locked up by by keeping these movies in animated form, that we need to bring them to live action, and maybe we just need to unlock them, perhaps oh, with a key, and maybe we need to cut down these these doors, these locks, these gates with uh, not just a key but a key blade, say it or exactly.
Speaker 3: Jane, did you see the like animatic pilot of that further. Yeah, Jane, did you see the pilot for the cartoon?
Speaker 1: No? I did not. It's weird. It's weird anyway here Disney. You know how you fix this. Just do a Kingdom Heart's live action thing with with action. No, they'll give me a shoot. I'm sorry, I don't know. You can't follow me this far. I don't think we're writing a check.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I don't think could salt my friends at Disney. I think I'm gonna tell them not to write the check.
Speaker 3: All right, Fine, we're going down the path. I can't follow jan.
Speaker 1: Well works. It couldn't co op.
Speaker 3: They're gonna ants it. You're gonna take your bugs life and they're gonna make an.
Speaker 1: An oh god, hell yeah, all right. Last email of the show comes from Brian in Lowell, Massachusetts, Hi BombCast. Recently, I have heard some of you, mainly Dan and Grubb wax poetic about VHS tapes of the past and their joys in playing them. Well, I am thirty seven years old with many fond memories of the VHS format. I shrugged off their nostalgia and nonsensical given the annoyances of rewinding and space needed for collecting Well that'll change this weekend, as my mother came to visit and brought with her a gift. She informed me that her boyfriend had found this while cleaning out his closet and wanted me to have it before handing me over a Star Wars Trilogy special letterbox Collector's edition. It's suddenly all made sense, and I am now trying to convince my wife that we can definitely fit a crt VHS combo into our nine hundred square foot apartment that also includes a dog into your kid. It's incredible how nostalgia for old things can create the happy chemicals in the brain. I think growing up with physical media has created a yearning for it to return, so cool question, are there any other physical media that you all are super into? Vinyl records are a big one that sticks out for me. Thanks for all you do. I'm a social worker, which can be a draining job with all going on into the world, but it's always nice to have you all provide some levity and enjoyment. Thanks Brian and Lowell Mass. Thanks Brian.
Speaker 3: I did get into vinyl because Jeff got me a record player for my birthday, and it's been fun because, like they released so many video games soundtracks on there, and just like the presentation of those other big art, Yeah, this big art, it's just like the vinyl itself is usually decorated, so it's just then you know, you play it and it sounds great, so there is something to that. Plus there is you know, you can do the thrift store dive too, and that aspect of it is also fun. So it's just a lot of fun stuff about collective. Other then obviously the old video games, which is both about like the collecting and also like, yeah, I like having the old hardware and plugging it into a retro take or whatever and still playing these games.
Speaker 1: I recently had to get rid of a bunch of old comic books just because they take up so much dang space. And I'm talking about like the long Boy boxes that are specifically built for comics, just because I wasn't reading them. I'm not interested in selling them at all, so I just gave them to a local library. I don't know, I would love to get into VHS tapes, but they just take up so much dang space.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got a bunch of those VHS tapes when I got my CRT, and I don't think I'm gonna keep going down that hole because that will take a lot of space. Yeah, for me, it's probably like gaming magazines because that was the thing that just kind of got me in as a fan of games media, got me into the industry working in it. So yeah, I got like almost a whole round of Game Informer. I subscribe to the Video Game History Foundations, you know, mystery Box thing every month, so yeah, I just I like, like I know again thanks to the Video Game History Foundations are if you can like look at all this stuff online dury instantly now and search it. But like, boy, I did get so many video game magazines in the mail that it's so fun to just grab an old EGM about the Dreamcast launch and just like flip through it. Uh, just nothing will replicate that to me then having a magazine in my hands. So that's my thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a curiosity about like the stuff just to the side of VHS and even like Beta Max that like I want to get into like early HD VHS, which is a format that existed where they did HD video on VHS and they just they had it was like a different kind of magnetic strip in there or something like that, and video CDs, and there's a whole bunch of like weird formats that I want to like explore. But as soon as I start going down that route, it's like it becomes so expensive so fast.
Speaker 3: I always talk myself out of it. I'm like, I don't need another money sinking and any.
Speaker 1: If you have a HD DVD drive for your Xbox three sixty no.
Speaker 4: I wanted my dad bottom HDDVD player at after they lost the war against Blu Ray, and it had already been said that they were a on there. It was way He went to Best Buy and it was way cheaper, and he wanted to get Planet Earth because he saw it on my HGTV and he's like, looks awesome, And so he went to best Buy and HDDVD players were like half the price of Blu Ray because they were already obsolete. And I told Dad. I was like, Dad, do not get this. It's already dead. He's like, it's cheaper, and I was like, they're not going to make any more disc for this, and he didn't care. So he still has an HDDVD player and rule, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, hell yeah. All right, that about does it for emails this week. All Right, bombcasta giant bomb dot com is the email address to send your emails to write in about any and everything you got quiz you want to send her away, you got a little game or whatever else have you, please send it to BombCast giant bomb dot com. Last week, BCR, we had Mike Drucker on the podcast crowned the Mount rushmore of First Levels, as well as talk about his new book. I believe it is called Good Game No Rematch, No No Rematch, Yes, lovely chat, awesome chat. Go check that out. There's also a link you purchase his book in the show notes of that. A lot of fun stuff popping off on the Power Block since since last BombCast. I particularly really really enjoyed that XBLA block yesterday.
Speaker 4: Oh that was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah Yeah. Nicky and Sean GB kids checked out Star Fox Assault under Game yesterday. Also, John Luke and Jake Decker checked out the first couple hours of Adam Fall. If you're at all curious, I suggest you go peep that other bunch of other stuff popping off on the power Block this week as well. We're gonna have an earlier Blake Club I believe.
Speaker 4: Yes, waiting to see the details. I'm going to be recording voicemail ump Truck with Samoa Joe backstage at Dynamite tomorrow, So still working out the details on the room and the time and everything there that will be recorded. So basically, Blake Club will be starting early so I can get the Dynamite on time, So keep an eye out on it. Maybe like ten Pacific one Eastern we're probably looking to, but that's not confirmed yet, so we'll see. But Overgrub should be starting tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Over Grub should be starting tomorrow. Game break news for the rest of the week, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, correct, mister Grub, that's right, We'll.
Speaker 2: Be back all the rest of the week, and then on Friday we're going to do UPF.
Speaker 3: Do we have a plan for UPFF? You posted a game, yeah that I forget what it was, Schedule one.
Speaker 4: Oh that's the Drug game.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, I kind of want to check out I kind of want to check out that PUBG tactical game. Oh yeah, sure, like I would like to see that Asometric one. I saw that next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe we could try a bunch of stuff on on this UPF to a roundabout.
Speaker 4: Well, and Jane and I are going to strap on the goggles on Monday for our co ops splinter Cell.
Speaker 1: I need to find it at work. Oh. Actually, you know what's happening this Thursday, gentleman, after the Game Spot show, which I'm equally excited for. Uh, we will finally have Lucy Skull and Foams.
Speaker 3: Yeah we did it, everybody. Yeah, it took one quarter, but we got there.
Speaker 1: Time to pay for her crimes. Yes right, we'll have a bcr later this week and Game Spot after dark as well. But folks, and I believe Tam is going to stream The Last Berserker ah Ben Starr for that game. Yes, oh yeah, they are open critic.
Speaker 4: Like eighty one or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really good. Yeah for one of these that's like, uh, that's that's what the Pinocchio one day and everybody loves that game. Yeah, that's really good. Okay.
Speaker 1: In just a little bit after this though, we're going to be live premiering Tam and Lucy see in Japan. Turbo Shawn Sean mcdal has been doing a bunch of editing work on this Jimmy Jam. When Tim and Lucy had went over to Japan to check out Claire Obscure Expedition thirty three. They shot a bunch of footage, an interview with shue Hey Yoshida, as well as interviewing some devs on the game Keeep that we're gonna embed that into the Giant Bomb Chat. If you're watching live sets A premiere on YouTube at twelve noon Pacific time, So go go grab some popcorn in between, gentlemen. Anything else? No, we're good and.
Speaker 4: I on a they were fresh Game in Former socials today.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was hoping to talk about that today, but it looks like.
Speaker 2: Well they said they were going to talk about it today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So just keevin Ie on on game and former stuff.
Speaker 1: I will be magical soundboard. How will everyone's day be?
Speaker 3: Wo?
Speaker 1: That's bad? No, that's bad.
Speaker 4: Rings that's not good. Shoot?
Speaker 3: You know what though?
Speaker 2: If I imagine it's just Sonic losing his rings, it is good.
Speaker 1: Hell up, okay, Little Mulligan on that one. How will our day be? All right?
Speaker 3: All right? Good?
Speaker 1: That does it?
Speaker 3: Or another episode of.
Speaker 1: The Giant BombCast. He's been, he's been. Damn, he's been. Grub I've been. Jana, you at.
Speaker 3: Home, don't lose your rings.
Speaker 1: Hold on to them. Also wants it's heavy, loosey blood if you're listening to this. Later wants to listen to thug Bro last week. That was a fun time.
Speaker 3: It's GREATY gonna go. We're on Proissanta after this and then head to the stew.
Speaker 1: I love you hard. Come by thoughts are hard to me.