Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to the host of Rich on Tech on KFI. It's KTLA's tech guy, Rich Timuro. Hey, Rich, can you click on anything anymore?
Speaker 2: No, you really can't.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have examples for you, and I wanted to see what you think about them.
Speaker 3: Okay. One, sure, I got an email. It's a Disney dream Key settlement.
Speaker 1: And it's an email and it says, hey, you know what, there's where you know you're going to get a refund. There was a suit, which there has been and I did get like sixty dollars back because I am a pass.
Speaker 3: Holder, right, Oh wow, lucky you right, so well.
Speaker 1: Sixty bucks and plus anyway, I don't want to get into what that settlement probably did to pass holders, but that's a whole other issue.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Then it says claim payment and there's a click through, and I was like, I'm not going to do that. So I did a little digging and if you go to dream Key Settle element, there is a dream Key settlement, but on the web it says if you want to get your settlement, don't do anything.
Speaker 2: So yes, well yeah, well at this point you are you've gotten the settlement. You've gotten the sixty dollars that's paying you out, and usually they want you to either get that payment to like a Venmo or a PayPal, or you can claim a check. So what I do? Number One, there's a website I like Topclassactions dot com. So anytime you see one of these class action lawsuits, you can type in the search bar and I just typed in the Disney dream key and yes, there's a nine point five million dollar class action settlement. The claims period is closed, and it looks like people are getting their money, which is sixty seven dollars and forty one cents estimated. So and I got that month SAT and the official website is dreamkeysettlement dot com. So you well, that's the thing. So if you already got the money, then you're good. But this is it sounds like they're trying to pay you out at this point.
Speaker 1: Well, see, I think that I think this is a scam because I also it's his claim payment. But if you go to the website, it says don't you don't have to do anything, So I'm thinking that this might So you're saying, yeah, that it might be a bogus click through.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, It says payments to qualified class members were sent by checks and digital payments were emailed via epic pay on June fourteenth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just got this email.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, so like can you but it's like scary because it and it totally looks legitimate. So whether this one was or not, I didn't click through because you just don't know, like I get stuff from my bank or it looks like it's from my bank, but it's not.
Speaker 2: And this is what I talk about on the radio show. I say that, you know, all these scam artists basically mimic what we know to be true, and they put a little nefarious twist on it. Right, So we've gotten the text from your bank that says, hey, did you just try to use your card at Target? You know, press one, reply one or reply two for no, you know, for fraud, And they'll do that same thing, but yet somehow they'll twist it to say, oh, go to this website to lock your card or something, and it's totally bogus. So my advice in general is to just take a critical eye. Typically you should be able to tell if these things are a scammer or not by inspecting the return email address, the website that it's sending you to, and if you see that it's cross referencing something that's actually legitimate, like it actually takes you to that dream key settlement website, then it's probably good. But yes, I've gotten a couple of these in the past, and I'm always very critical. But if you're just putting in like your Venmo or something or your email address to get the payment, it's usually safe unless it's asking you to log in, Okay.
Speaker 1: I just it's so frustrating, and it's like they're just it's getting worse. I got one from the DMV saying you have a traffic violation. I'm like, no, I don't, and it says you know, yeah, you know, and it says click through here and if you don't, we're going to refer you to a toll collection agency. Your vehicle registration is going to be suspended. And then you're like, hmmm, I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you know. So I post a lot of these on my Instagram and people send them to me all day long, so I try to post like the newest, most interesting ones that I see, because if they're doing something unique, different, or you know, something I haven't seen before. I'll usually sort of break it down on my Instagram, So that's a good place. I know you're following me there, but that's a good place to check as well.
Speaker 3: It's tricky.
Speaker 1: Well I saw I just saw one of your Instagram posts about Apple pushing out a promo to iPhones.
Speaker 3: Well what's that one about? Yeah?
Speaker 2: People were, well, it was funny. I got this yesterday and I thought that was kind of odd. I'm like, this, this is not very much like Apple.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: They've got this new movie they're promoting f one a stars Brad Pitt. It's a big movie. I think it comes out this weekend. And they sent a notification saying, hey, you can get ten dollars off two tickets if you buy them via fandango. And I was like, that's weird. I've never seen a promotion pushed to my phone like this from Apple. Okay, and sure enough go online and a lot of users are not happy because you know, this is Apple wall. It is what you use to pay for stuff, and now Apple is using it to to push promotions to people. So long story short, people are upset about this. Not that big of a deal, but it looks like In the new iOS twenty six, there will be a toggle to turn off future promotional texts like this from Apple through the Apple Wallet. So we'll have to wait until September to be able to turn those off.
Speaker 3: I will be one of the first to turn those off. I hate all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Windows ten has a lifeline, so Microsoft's gonna continue doing security updates for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is actually a pretty good deal because a lot of people don't want to switch to Windows eleven. They don't really have a need or their computer doesn't really work with Windows eleven, so they got to stick with Windows ten, which is going to go out of service. Like Microsoft's going to stop giving you software updates and security updates on October thirteenth, twenty twenty five, So sorry October fourteenth, twenty twenty five. Now you can get this extension for one year through October thirteenth in three ways. They're calling it the Extended Security Updates Program. So number one, pay thirty dollars. That's been a thing for a while, So you can pay thirty dollars to get one more year of security updates. Or here's the two new options. If you use Windows back up to sink your settings to the cloud. You can get one year of service updates, security updates for free.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Or this is the interesting one. You can redeem one thousand Microsoft Rewards points. I didn't even know I had these amy until I went to bing dot com and I saw that I have like twenty eight hundred reward Rewards points. How do you get use those? How do you get searching Bing? It's like a game of fied experience.
Speaker 1: No, not find them? How do you get Microsoft Reward points?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all by searching Bing. So it's like basically it's a it's a gamified search experience. So ok and my kids know very well. If you have kids, they might know about it because they can earn like free Xbox stuff. So it's like you can do all kinds of stuff like every it gives you these little goals to do, like if you search bing three times a day, you'll get points, if you re your Outlook emails. I mean, it's it's kind of silly.
Speaker 1: Okay, Amazon Prime Days, I just got the notification that those are coming up in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Yes, July eighth through eleventh. This is their biggest Prime day yet, four days instead of two. No matter what they say, I give you the same advice every single year. Day you're in, you're out, put the stuff that you want in your cart now and watch for the price drops. They will mark anything with a major price drop with a little red banner that'll say Prime Day or Prime Deal or Big Deal, and that's the best way to shop because things will go on sale. And actually even though it starts July eighth and goes through the eleventh, they still put stuff on sale through the eleventh. Like right now, things start going on sale. So just put the stuff in your cart, check it out, and watch for those price drops.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then one last question about Prime Days because I have trouble finding great deals. Don't they do like deals of the Hour or something like that or deals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're doing a new thing this year which is called Today's Big Deals, and these are daily themed drops from various brands like Samsung, Levi's, Dyson, and Keels and so those will be like every day. But if you want to check out some of the Prime Day deals, Amazon dot com slash Prime Day and already I'm seeing deals related to stuff that I've purchased in the past or things that I've browsed for, so the deals are already a plenty. It's just you know, yeah, like do you need it? But yes, there are some good things on here.
Speaker 3: Okay, so go load up your cart and then watch for the sales. Yep, all right.
Speaker 1: Kfi's tech guy Rich Demiro. You can hear them live every Saturday from eleven to two right here on rich on Tech on KFI. You can watch them on KTLA and you can follow them on Instagram at rich on Tech. And for the stuff we were just talking about and kind of everything that Rich talks about, and he puts it on his website and that website is rich on Tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: Thank you Rich, Thank you Amy,