Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: It is five o'clock. Stir raight up. This is your wake up call for Friday, January third, twenty twenty five. Good morning, I'm Amy King. It's the first TGIF of twenty twenty five. Although I don't know if this is this way for you, if it feels weird because we had the holiday in the middle of the week and I'm getting emails for people saying I love this split peak, and I think will Cole Schreiber said, I love a two day work week. Uh, how you do you love it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well that's all over. The holidays are done. We're back to the five day work week starting on Monday. And I just saw that lausd kids go back to school on Monday, too, So the fun is over. We got a lot going on on wake up calls, so let's get right to it. Here's what's ahead. A pilot and his sixteen year old daughter been killed in a small plane crash. The plane crashed into the roof of a furniture warehouse yesterday afternoon. Nineteen people were hurt, ten were taken to the hospital. More than twenty members of Jose and Kitty Menendez's family and others will be meeting with La County DA Nathan Hawkman today to make their case for re sentencing of the Menendez brothers. The group says resentencing would reflect Eric and Lyle's abuse, trauma, and rehabilitation during their thirty five years in prison for killing their parents in nineteen eighty nine. The one hundred and nineteenth US Congress will be sworn in this afternoon, but first they have to elect a new House speaker. It's not clear for public and Mike Johnson has the votes needed to reach his position. We're gonna find out what Johnson needs to do to keep the gabble and whether he can keep it with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. That's coming up in about three minutes. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Two people have been killed when a small plane crashed into a building near the Fullerton Airport. Beliefs say there were about two hundred workers inside the furniture warehouse on Raymer Avenue in the plane crashed through the roof yesterday afternoon. Jerome Cruz, who works there, says all he saw was a fireball in black smoke before everyone was told to get out West Wesker.
Speaker 5: We don't know what's going on, and when we came out of please tell us that it's a plane at the top of the roof.
Speaker 3: It's believed the pilot and his teenage daughter were the only people on the single engine plane. NTSB Aviation Accident investigator Elliott Simpson says the pilot reported he needed to return to the airport about ninety seconds after takeoff.
Speaker 2: Ultimately crashed about one thousand feet short of runway two, full finiture building and immediately caught fire.
Speaker 3: Nineteen people were hurt, more than ten of them were taken to the hospital. Two days after a mass murderer killed fourteen people on Bourbon Street, the French Quarter in New Orleans has come back to life. ABC's Jim Ryan says it had been quiet there since Wednesday.
Speaker 5: After the terror attack. Law enforcers from various agencies nearly outnumber the tourists in the French Quarter at Louisiana. Governor Jeff Landry observed.
Speaker 6: This is one of the safest places on Earth.
Speaker 5: Thursday night, the public took him at his word.
Speaker 3: Federal, state, and law A local law enforcement officials say so far they haven't found any co conspirators who might have helped the man who drove his pickup into the crowd of New Year's Eve revelers. We're going to talk more with ABC's Jim Ryan find out the latest from New Orleans that's coming up at five twenty. Authorities in Las Vegas are still going through the personal history of Matthew Leibelsberger or Livelsburger, the man who blew up a rented Tesla cybertruck outside the Trump International Hotel on New Year's Day. ABC's Mola Lange says the motive is still not clear.
Speaker 6: He was a master sergeant in the Green Berets If authorities say that he was on approved leave from his current active duty posting at his base in Germany at the time of the deadly incident.
Speaker 3: He says. Littelsberger's wife told authorities that he'd been out of the house in Colorado Springs since Christmas, following a dispute over infidelity. A lot of renters in LA are about to pay more in rent. Owners of rent controlled properties can high rents up to four percent. Non rent controlled properties could see rents go up by eight percent. Landlords can add an additional two percent to the monthly rent if they cover utilities as well. Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. Good morning and happy New year, John, Happy new year.
Speaker 7: To you two Amy, Thanks for having me on today.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Congress comes back today. First order of business is to elect a House Speaker.
Speaker 8: That's right, easier said than done, though, because of the very narrow majority that House Republicans have in the one hundred and nineteenth Congress. Already one House Republican has indicated publicly they will not support Mike Johnson. They will not vote for Mike Johnson. And because of that very narrow majority, Mike Johnson, if he wants to be the next Speaker of the House to be re elected to that position, he can only afford to lose one additional Republican vote given that every Democrat will be voting for their candidate, and that's Haakeem Jeffrey so the vote takes place noon Eastern time today, and it's still not known at this point whether or not Mike Johnson will have the votes on the first round to be the next Speaker of the House of Representatives.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's play with the numbers a little bit, because, like you said that, it's such a narrow majority because, well, for one, because President elect Trump pulled a couple of people from Congress to put him in his administration.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 8: And you've also had an individual named Matt Gates, a former congressman from Florida who has left Congress resigned his seat. That seat still needs to be filmed. Another person that you're alluding to, a least Deffanic who has been nominated by Donald Trump to be the next US Ambassador to the United Nations. So that's another reason why, at least in the first three months of the new year, before special elections take place, Republicans have such a narrow majority.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now, so one has already said nope, not going to vote for you, and then are others mostly falling in line or is there a group that's kind of being noncommittal or what's that picture looking like?
Speaker 7: Here's what the picture is looking like.
Speaker 8: Most House Republicans are going to vote for Mike Johnson on the first round, but there are eight House Republicans in particular who have not declared publicly how they're going to vote, and they're not satisfied with the way that Mike Johnson has run the House of Representatives for a variety of reasons. It really depends upon the member. For some it's concessions that they believe he's made to Democrats. For others, it's his support or continued financial support for Ukraine in its fight against Russia. The members we're talking about include Andy Biggs of Arizona, Tim Burchett from Tennessee, Eric Burlison from Missouri, Andy Harris from Maryland, and then you also have Ralph Norman from South Carolina, Scott Perry from Pennsylvania, Chip Roy from Texas, and Victorious Sparks, she's from Indiana. Each of those members likely has been contacted by President e like Donald Trump over the course of the past forty eight hours trying to twist their arm, trying to get them to support Mike Johnson. And we'll see how that vote goes. Whether that you know, Full Court Press has been effective by Mike Johnson and his team to secure the necessary votes to be the next Speaker of the House.
Speaker 3: Okay, and you mentioned that the President elect is probably going to be doing making some phone calls. Did his endorsement a few days ago? Does that help or is it a non issue?
Speaker 8: Well, it doesn't hurt for some members, it's a non issue, you know. I mean a lot of these members come from very safe Republican districts. Their constituents like them, they like the way they vote, they're supportive of them. Thomas Massey, who's already said he's not voting for Mike Johnson, is beloved in his district in Kentucky. So it really depends upon the member and whether or not they feel that a threat of a primary challenge is a real threat to them and their political well being.
Speaker 3: So, john what does Mike Johnson himself do today? Is he making phone calls or is he just kind of waiting for the first vote.
Speaker 7: No, he's been making phone calls. He's been doing that.
Speaker 8: And he met with President elect Donald Trump on election Day at mar A Lago, trying to demonstrate that there is strong support coming from the President elect for his candidacy. It's important that Republicans have a House speaker for this reason. That's upcoming, and that's January sixth, that's the certification date for the presidential election. You cannot have that certification process on January sixth, Amy, unless you have a House speaker. So you know, I think it's going to happen. I can't tell you if it's going to be the first round or if it's going to be like it was with Kevin McCarthy on the fifteenth round. But I think that by the end of the day today we should have a House speaker. It's likely to be Mike Johnson, but likely doesn't mean definitively going to be Mike Johnson. That's why the vote that will take place today is really going to be interesting. When I read through those names of people that are on the fence that are non committal, I read those names alphabetically because that's the way the vote takes place, and if you're following along as the vote takes place, you can get a sense about how things are going for Mike Johnson.
Speaker 3: Gotcha? And are any other names being floated? Are we hearing anything besides Mike Johnson?
Speaker 7: Amy, there's no Plan B.
Speaker 8: But keep in mind, when Kevin McCarthy ran for the speakership, finally securing the speakership on the fifteenth round, there wasn't a Plan B, nor was there a Plan B when he was ousted, and then Mike Johnson sort of appeared out of nowhere. You know, one name that I hear often from some Republicans is Jim Jordan from Ohio.
Speaker 7: So could that be a Plan B?
Speaker 8: Perhaps? But I think that Mike Johnson actually has more support within the House Republican conference right now than Jim Jordan does, and that's why I say he is likely to be the next Speaker of the House.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then one final question, John, I'm always so fascinated with all the gamesmanship of politics. If there is no speaker elected today, we're just playing the what if game. If there was no speaker today and then the election couldn't be certified on Monday as it's supposed to, So would they just delay it or does that cause some sort of a crisis if it doesn't happen on January sixth?
Speaker 8: Well, it's interesting, you know, if you're want to play this game out, and it's fun to play these games out, know how, Speaker when January twentieth comes around, think about that, no certification of the presidential election, then there is constitutionally a person who would assume the presidency. It's not Joe Biden, by the way, it's the person who is the most senior Republican in the US Senate. It's Chuck Grassley, who is even older than Joe Biden. So if you want to play that out, that's the way that would play out.
Speaker 3: Okay, but we're not thinking that's probably going to happen by Lake, We're.
Speaker 7: Not thinking that's probable. That's right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that you're going to have the speaker by the end of the day today.
Speaker 7: I can't tell you how many rounds it's going to go.
Speaker 8: I could never have predicted it would have taken fifteen rounds for Kevin McCarthy to win the speakership. Matt Gates is no longer in the House, so you know, if he wants to play some mischief, he's not there anymore to play any mischief. But we'll see what happens with those nine members that I mentioned and what they ultimately do when the vote takes place in just a few hours.
Speaker 3: Okay, and we'll be watching and then we'll talk to you again very soon. Kfi's White House correspondent, John Decker, thanks so much for the time and information this morning.
Speaker 7: Thanks Amy, have a great day and a great weekend.
Speaker 3: By But let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the twenty four hour newsroom. Isn't that fascinating? I just find politics so fascinating. Over one hundred more women have sued in obgyn in Beverly Hills. Fifty other former patients have already sued, claiming the doctor sexually abused them. This is the third lawsuit filed against doctor Barry Brock and Cedar Sideye Medical Medical Center. Brock was a doctor for more than forty years. The lawsuit claims Cedars knew about the abuse and covered it up. Authorities are expected to announce charges against a man in connection with the shooting of two security guards outside of Target at am All in downtown LA. The guy was arrested Tuesday after a standoff with police at a nearby apartment building. Store. Surveillance video shows him walking out of the store on Figaroa Street with merchandise that he hadn't paid for, stuffed into a briefcase. When the security guards stopped him, he pulled out a gun and shot them. A truck driver's in custody after an apparent highway bomb threat in South Carolina. ABC's Luke Barsa's six lanes of I eighty five in Greenville, South Carolina were shut down for five hours yesterday.
Speaker 2: A man who was driving attracted trailer told police during a routine traffic stop that he had an explosive device in the truck.
Speaker 3: According to authorities, he says, state officials and the FBI determined there was no threat and no explosive devices. South Korea's impeached president has defied an attempt to detain him after a six hour standoff. ABC's Britt Clinet says officers and prosecutors stormed into the compound to serve a warrant for declaring martial law on December third, and that was this tense standoff between the police, investigators and un presidential security team who were protecting him. Clanet says the prosecutors claimed the president did not comply with procedures. Boeing is updating its efforts to execute on safety and quality after last year's door plug incident on an Alaska Airline's flight. ABC's Alex Stone says that door plug flew off in flight.
Speaker 9: Nearly a year go Boeing says it's a dressed over seventy percent of action items and commercial airplane production based on employee feedback, and now has random quality audits in place.
Speaker 3: Boeing says it has significantly reduced defects in fuselage production of its seven thirty seven jets. Thousands of well wishers are expected to pay their respects to the late President Carter in the coming days, including at the Carter Center in Atlanta. ABC's Faith Abu Bas says people have been arriving for a few days now.
Speaker 2: Four trivia's growing.
Speaker 3: People will come, read some of the messages that are there. There are photos.
Speaker 9: One of those signs there says we love you President Carter, and then they just stopped there for a second and in quite reverence.
Speaker 3: Carter's funeral in Washington, d C. Is scheduled for next week on January ninth. A new space for people looking for non alcoholic alcohol has opened in South Pasadena.
Speaker 2: Burden of Proof has been open for a month, and the husband and wife team behind its same business is good Obriona McReynolds says customers no longer have to seek out a small shell for non alcoholic drinks and traditional liquor stores, just a.
Speaker 4: Place where people who maybe don't drink for whatever reason can walk in and think, oh my god, I can have everything.
Speaker 7: Here, she says.
Speaker 2: Folks looking to experience a dry January can start by finding the equivalent of their favorite liquors. It'll taste similarly and not leave you with a hangover. Michael Monks k if I News.
Speaker 3: Got to say thank you to Michael Monks for filling in over the holidays. He did a great job. Always, he's a good guy. You think you don't hate him, No, not at all. I'm just kidding. No, I love Michael. I think he's fabulous. So thanks again to Michael Monks for filling in. And hopefully this cold doesn't take hold so he won't have to fill in again for me. Monday, went to go see a friend for New Year's and actually it was so much fun. We went up to Pasa robles or robe lists depending on how you want to pronounce it. But I was listening to the radio station Impasa robles or robe and it was said both ways. I'm like, you guys need to make up your mind. It's your hometown. Anyway.
Speaker 4: They do.
Speaker 3: They have like an old fashioned town square and there's shops and restaurants and then there's a big park in the middle. And they had a big bonfire and a band for New Year's Eve. It was so cool and it was, you know, a beautiful night chili and they had the bonfire going and the music and the countdown, and of course it's wine country, so they had wine and it was a fun New Year. So yeah, but I think maybe standing outside for two hours on New Year's Eve, maybe that's what ushered in this cold. We'll see. Mayor Karen Bass has announced more resources will be made available to help get homeless veterans off the streets of Los Angeles and indic housing. Veterans will be able to qualify for and receive housing vouchers as at an expedited rate. More staff is also being added to help veterans in need. A couple from southern California's agreed to pay ten million dollars to settle Medicare and medical fraud case. Prosecutors say the doctor and his wife submitted false health care claims and got kickpacks. So over a period of more than six years, the doctor founded Southern California Medical Center. His wife is its CEO. The first snow survey of the year shows water levels at the survey location off Highway fifty are at ninety one percent of average. California Department of Water Resources officials say a snow depth of twenty four inches was recorded. That's nine inches of water. Statewide, the snowpack is one hundred and eight percent of average for this time. At six oh five, it's Handle on the news. But it's not Handle. It's Wayne Resnick. One more day today, he's retiring. Can you believe that? I know Will Aus his mic off, but he's booing in the background. Yeah, so you'll get to hear Wayne one more time today. So stick around for that Handle on the news starts at six oh five. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim, it's been two days now since a man ran down and killed people along Bourbon Street. What have we learned?
Speaker 5: Well, I think twenty four hours ago you and I were talking Amy about the possibility, maybe the likelihood that more people were involved. Twenty four hours later, the FBI says that shamsu din Jabbar acted by himself, and he acted alone and when he drove that four one fifty pickup truck down Bourbon Street, killing fourteen before he was shot by police. I think a lot of the initial maybe confusion came because witnesses had said that they saw someone dropping off these plastic picnic coolers that contained improvised explosive devices. Well, somebody had done that, But it turns out, and I'm looking at an FBI poster now that shows security video, it was shehampsu din Jabbar who did that. It wasn't other people. So at least right now, the working theory is that this was a lone wolf attack.
Speaker 3: Jim, I'm curious because it again you said that it was it was the guy who actually put those coolers out. Did he do it hours before the attack, minutes before the attack, or do we know the timeframe of that little.
Speaker 5: Over an hour? The attack happened at about three thirty the first and the explosive was placed at about two oh three. These two explosives and within a few minutes of two oh three, so it was about an hour before the pickup truck came roaring down Bourbon Street, and they were placed at different locations on Bourbon Street, one on Bourbon Down at the other end near govinor Nichols, and another one place not too far away from here. So yeah, it was within an hour at least little over an hour, which.
Speaker 3: Is also interesting when you think about how did he know where he could get access to the street and that kind of stuff. Was he walking around for hours kind of casing and looking for vulnerabilities or did he just happen to go to the one place that he could get through.
Speaker 5: Well, unfortunately it wasn't too difficult. All he had to do was to drive on a police car that was parked at the end of Bourbon Street to keep people from driving onto the street. He just went around it and came down Bourbon Street. This is fascinating to me. In twenty nineteen and an organization called inter four International, which is a consulting firm security consulting firm working at the direction of the French Quarter Management Group, did a survey, did a study. It had been commissioned to do this study, and it found that the French Quarter is vulnerable to this very sort of thing that a vehicle could be used as a weapon of mass destruction. That's what happened here. And it made these recommendations for improved barriers, and those were being put into place five years later, almost, and they were supposed to be in place by the time the Super Bowl came, but unfortunately it comes weeks too late, because we saw what happened on New Year's morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and initially I was wondering, you know, when you're hearing all of about this and the information's coming in, You're like, why were people not able to jump out of the way. But then just last night I saw a video of the car speeding down the street and a couple of people were able to get out of the way, but the street was very narrow and he was going really fast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was, he floored and was moving by the time he got down. Where I am, I'm looking out onto Bourbon Street right now. The pavement itself, it's probably thirty five forty feet wide. These are old, old The streets are three hundred years old, you know, on the buildings on either side, and so you're right, they are fairly narrow, and then you've got a curb leading up to the sidewalk, so and if you saw, you know, some of the people who were struck and killed, they were faced the opposite direction. They were looking the other way and the truck raced up behind them and struck them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And of course they're still trying to figure out more about this guy, like do we have more information about what may have caused him to get radicalized? There saying that he was inspired by ISIS. But his personal life, I heard something about a couple of divorces.
Speaker 5: Yes, and financial issues that came with that. He had a good job. He was making one hundred and thirty thousand dollars a year I think as a real estate agent and with some other businesses. But because of a couple of divorces, he was paying out thousands every month in child support and other payments related to that. His twenty seven thousand dollars behind in the house payment that is where his wife was living. So he had some deep financial troubles. But his brother, who spoke yesterday to ABC News, said that this was completely out of character. That he was a peaceful and fun loving guy, that he was normal, he had a good job, he loved his family and all that. So it's not really clear what snapped. The FBI things that sometime last summer he became radicalized and he started looking at you know, ISIS documents and ISIS information. Apparently that's where he came up with this idea to drive a truck down Bourbon Street.
Speaker 3: So what's next in the investigation.
Speaker 5: Well, they've taken four hundred, more than four hundred tips from the public about all sorts of aspects related to this and they're following up on that, and so that's going to take some time, but still trying to answer questions about the motivation of this person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as you just mentioned, they need to figure out some ways to shore up Bourbon Street because Super Bowl is just around the corner.
Speaker 5: It is. Well, the plan was to have these new ballards in place, these new barricades, firm barricades that wouldn't let this happen again. The plan was to have those in place by the time the super Bowl is played here in New Orleans. Unfortunately they aren't in place yet, and so this police car that was blocking the street wasn't nearly enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, ABC's Jim Ryan, thanks for the update. We appreciate the information. We'll talk again soon.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Jamy all right, The Rose Parade has wrapped up, but the floats are still putting on a show. Tournament of Roses member Anne Saieg says the Explorer Louisiana Float has taken on a new significance after Wednesday morning's truck attack in New Orleans. Yeah, that was a really tragic incident that happened, and you know, we feel for Louisiana. We love them. They've been here at the parade with us for a few years, so they're great crowd. The float Fest Parade showcas Showcase runs until four o'clock this afternoon at Sierra Madre and Washington Boulevards in Pasadena. Tickets are twenty five bucks. Kids five and younger get in free. Jury selection is underway for the trial of a twenty seven year old man accused of raping women in Simi Valley and La Charles Gaines, the third was rested in Colorado in twenty twenty two and extradited back to California. Prosecutors say DNA evidence linked him with the sexual assaults. Authority say Games met several of hisvictims through online dating apps. He's being held in Ventura Kenny Jail without bail California's newest US Senator, Adam Schiff, has announced that he has been assigned to four committees, including the Senate Judiciary Committee. He said yesterday he'll also be on the Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry, Environment and Public Works, and Small Business and Entrepreneurship Committees. President Biden's expected to sign a proclamation that would establish a Chuckwala National Monument south of Joshua Tree National Park. The Washington Post is reporting that Biden's plan is to establish the monument, which would make the drilling, mining, and other energy and industrial related activity illegal in the area. And we're just getting a word that President Biden has rejected the nearly fifteen billion dollar proposed deal for Nippon Steel of Japan to purchase US steal It diffirms his vow in March to block the acquisition. Biden said in a statement this morning, we need major US companies representing the major share of US steelmaking capacity to keep leading the fight on behalf of America's national interests. Short seller Hindenberg Research has accused car retailer Carvana of accounting fraud. It also claims Carvana's sales numbers are questionable. Carvana is a forty four billion dollar online car dealer that enables people to buy and sell used cars. Aggrieving Orca whale in the Seattle area has animal researchers asking questions. ABC's Andrew Dimbert says their attention is focused on a pod of endangered orcas.
Speaker 2: Aggrieving mother whale known as J thirty five, has been seen this week carrying the body of her deceased calf and what researchers are calling an active mourning hess.
Speaker 3: J thirty five made headlines doing the same thing seven years ago after losing a different calf. She carried its remains for more than one thousand miles over seventeen days. Heartbreaking right. A ban on indoor and outdoor woodburning has been extended. It'll be in effect through at least midnight tonight in much of southern California because of a forecast of high pollution. The residential woodburning ban applies to everybody in the South Coast air Base and including non desert areas of La Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, as well as all of Orange County. It means burning wood and fireplaces or any word burning device is prohibited, and that includes manufactured fire logs. The man who blew up a cybertruck outside the Trump Las Vegas Hotel has been identified as an army veteran from Colorado. Police say he rented the electric truck and drove it to Las Vegas from Colorado. He apparently shot himself in the head and was in the driver's seat when the truck blew up. No one else was hurt. The Santa Anna School District has taken another step towards laying off nearly three hundred and fifty employees. The district's board voted four to one yesterday in favor of moving forward with its plan to help deal with the more than one one hundred and eighty million dollar budget deficit. Layoffs good happen this spring. If the plan gets final approval. Governor Newsom will deliver his State of the State address on January tenth. It happens before President elect Trump takes office. In the past few years, the earliest Newsom has delivered his State of the State was March at six o five. It's handled on the news. Republicans have their work cut out for them, and that happens before they even get sworn in to the one hundred nineteenth Congress. Of course, it's not Handle on the news. It's Wayne Resnick on the news. One more day, last day before retirement for Wayne at five point fifty. You don't have to head to theaters to watch Wicked anymore. And remember, earlier this week we talked about the new season of Squid Games. I have an addendum to my recommendation for season two that's coming up in about fifteen minutes. Right now, let's say good morning too. The host of Home on KFI our House whispered Dean Sharp, good morning and happy new year.
Speaker 2: Dean, good morning, Happy New Year.
Speaker 6: Amy.
Speaker 3: Oh you sound very energetic.
Speaker 2: I was until I heard that it's a National Sleep Day. Well it's a Festival of Sleep Day. Oh it's a festival. Yeah, so we all get together and just go to sleep.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't that be fun. We'd have one giant slumber party.
Speaker 2: That would be awesome.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, here's something else. It's awesome. You have the Essential Homeowner Toolkit for twenty twenty five. And I love this list because I have a few of these things, but I don't have all of them. So tell us what is the Essential homeowner Toolkit and what are some of the things that we need to get for our toolkit.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought it would be great to just start the year for our homeowners with you know what I think is the essential toolkit that most homeowners should have in their home. And it's you know, thirty plus items in the toolkit. Some things you would expect, you know, hammer, screwdriver kind of thing. Others not necessarily things that homeowners would instantly think, oh, yeah, I should probably have that in my toolkit. This is sort of from my you know, decades of experience and my recommendation. So a few things are a little bit off the you know, the beaten path, as it were, Like, for instance, right off the top the way that you organize your tools. Now, some homeowners just absolutely love converting their whole garage into a workshop, and it's you know, it's a whole thing, which is great, that's great, But you don't have to go that far. You don't even have to have a traditional toolbox, and that really surprises a lot of people. I don't really recommend toolboxes to homeowners. I'll tell you why toolboxes are essentially and that's when I say a toolbox, I'm talking about a box with a lid and a latch and all of that. Toolboxes are designed for contractors. They're designed for people who work in the trades to be able to grab tools, you know, throw them in the back of a truck, take them off site. That's why they've got lids and handles and all of that. But for a homeowner who's not trads that exactly if you're not transporting your tools, okay, then I have found over the years, I mean, I use this at my house. I love I love a good bucket organizer and a four dollars five gallon bucket that you can get at home Depot or Lows or any hardware store with a great bucket organizer in it. Because number one, there are slots that make visible all of your tools to organize your stuff. Number Two, it's a bucket, which means whatever project you're doing around the house, you can throw in the screws and the nails and the glue and the paint or whatever it is, carry it right over to where you're working. You've got everything right at your fingertips. Even some of these bucket organizers, you can buy the optional seat which sits on top and now all of a sudden. The bucket is the seat for you to sit while you're doing whatever it is that you're doing. It's just really handy, well organized, very inexpensive, very simple.
Speaker 3: And if you need a five gallon bucket, you've got one. Then I've actually come across a need for a five gallon bucket and haven't had one. So and this is if I'm looking at the picture of it, it's like that heavy canvas materials. I don't know if it's canvas, but it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a cordura material.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like what a car heart jacket is made out of or something like that. Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly. Your tools go all the way around, so you can see them all and there's a.
Speaker 2: Whole thing inside as well that holds them.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what are what are what are a few of them must haves that we might not have for that bucket.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you one of the ones that I think every homeowner should have that is going to be unusual to most homeowners, and that is, let's see, it's number twenty four on my list, the self adjusting pipe wrench. Okay, pipe wrenches are tricky things. They're just weird. A standard pipe wrench, and I think you should have when everybody should have a pipe wrench, and that would be number twenty three on the list. But a pipe wrench, as you know, unlike other wrenches, they're kind of loosey goosey. They've got this l shaped top to them, a big old nut that you screw and that opens up. It's just weird the way a pipe wrench fits around a drain pipe and holds it and opens it up. And a lot of people really struggle with pipe wrenches. I've had so many people say I took mine back because it doesn't work, and they all work, but it's just a year. Yeah, it's a weird kind of jaw that requires a little bit of tension for it to lock into place. Well, years ago, okay, maybe ten years ago, Crescent, the company Crescent, came up with a spring loaded self adjusting pipe wrench. There's no screwing of it. All you do is wrap this thing around the pipe and as you start to pull on it, it self locks in place. It finds its own tension. There's no mess, there's no hass. So its only limit is that, you know, every self adjusting pipe wrench can only handle up to a certain sized pipe, which in this case, the one that I would recommend can handle up to a two and a half inch pipe, but which is all that most homeowners would ever have to deal with. But it is such a joy to use. I've got them. And the only time I tell you I ever pull out a regular pipe wrench is if for some reason the pipe is too large for the self adjusting wrench. Because it's so easy to use.
Speaker 3: Okay, So then what's what's another one that maybe you wouldn't have thought of that is really a must have?
Speaker 2: Well, I would say this a good utility knife. Okay. A lot of people have pocket knives or they've got they've got you know, it's like, well, I've got a knife. You know, I've got a nice buck knife. I'm all in favor of those. But here's the thing. A utility knife is really at the core of any any great tool set. And the reason is, when it comes to knives, there's two things you want with a knife. Number One, you want it ra razor sharp, and so a utility knife holds razor blades, heavy duty razor blades. It doesn't get sharper than a utility knife. At the same time. You don't want to ruin your blade. Sometimes you want to get a blade in there and you know, be hacking away at something that would take a normal knife blade and just really really mess up your beautiful little expensive pocket knife or locking knife or whatever it is. And the cool thing about a utility knife is that it's razor sharp and the blades are disposable. But getting a good one, getting a good one that's really ergonomic in your hand, that locks off the blades so it doesn't slip, is worth its weight in gold.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'm looking at the one that you have a picture of them, like mine doesn't look like that, So I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's super comfortable. Yeah, it's ergonomic, it stores blades in its own handle, so it's a you know, it's a great it's a great knife.
Speaker 3: I wish I had this list before Christmas. I could have had a better Christmas list because I need some of these things and you couldn't. You just can't have a TOOLBA without gorilla tape.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, it's true.
Speaker 3: If you do not have garrilla tape or duct tape, you got to go get some.
Speaker 2: Now here's the thing. Is it duck tape or is it duct tape?
Speaker 3: It's duct tape, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Actually? Originally it was duck Was it really?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: So whenever anybody asked me that question, I'm like, listen, it's both. It's both. It's a kind of tape that's used for ducts, for like air conditioning, inventing ducks. But the original, the very original tape that came out and still available today, is branded duck tape because of its water resistance as well.
Speaker 3: I did not know that.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 3: I like it. I like it, And then the other one you said, electrical tape, and I the other one that I think is good. I don't know if it's on your list is plumbing tape, because if you do have something go a little bit screwy, sometimes a little plumbing tape can help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I've got on the list. So I've got thread tape.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's probably what the official name of that is.
Speaker 2: Right when we're reconnecting plumbing fittings, you know, I prefer thread tape over pipe goop, because you know, why mess with it. Just a couple of wraps of thread tape and then put that fitting back together and no leaks, no drips, no hassles.
Speaker 3: We love that it's the essential homeowner toolkit. And Dean's going to go over much more of this and give you some great recommendations this weekend on Home with Dean Sharp. I got to get me one of those buckets. And it's six to eight am on Saturday and nine to noon on Sunday. And thank you as always Dean Sharp. We look forward to lots of fun tips for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Thanks Amy, and happy New Year.
Speaker 3: All right, Happy New Year. A pilot and his sixteen year old daughter have been killed in a small plane crash into a warehouse in Fullerton. Officials say nineteen people were hurt. Ten were taken to hospitals. Officials are calming through the wreckage to try to determine what caused the crash. Yesterday afternoon, a man arrested outside Donald Trump rally and Coachellas pleaded not to misdemeanor gun charges. Them Miller was arrested after guns were found in his vehicle at a checkpoint in October. Miller said he had the guns legally and is a Trump supporter. Miller later sued the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, claiming that his constitutional rights were violated. And orca whale that drew international attention when she carried her dead calf on her back for more than two weeks back in twenty seventeen is doing it again. The orca known as J thirty five, was seen Wednesday in the waters off Seattle with a baby whale carcass on her head. With the loss of the calf, the orcas pod, which is a critically endangered subspecies of killer whale, has dwindled to seventy three. We're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning, and this morning we get Wayne Resnick doing Handle on the news and making the case for the Menendez brothers that's coming up right now. Let's say good morning to ABC's Will gans Will. It's only been in theaters for a month and already we can stream Wicked.
Speaker 4: I know. Oh, it's a New Year's miracle, I think for anyone who's as obsessed with Wicked as.
Speaker 6: I have been.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a really really quick turnaround. But Wicked is available to buy at home for thirty bucks, which I guess, depending on where you live, is either a lot or sounds like a bargain because you know movie tickets here. If you see the movie in three D, that's like one and a half tickets. So yeah, Wicket is available to stream at home. I've watched it once from my couch already, and I think it's perfect timing too as we head into award season, since it's sort of a favorite in a lot of different categories. For folks who are wanting to check off some of those big contenders off their list, it's a good time to watch wickeed maybe this weekend.
Speaker 3: Okay, so will I have a question for you. You mentioned award season and that Wicked may be a contender, which is sort of surprising to me because it's not the kind of movie that gets a lot of award nominations the big blockbuster way.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So it's it's interesting because the last time a movie musical did well at award shows would have been Chicago, you know, in the early two thousands. But I think that Wicked might be flipping the script a little bit there because it is such a massive undertaking. It's a fan favorite, and you know, critically it's been received very well also, so this could be the movie that puts musicals maybe back in contention for some of those big awards, you know, headed into awards season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and didn't La La Land do pretty good well? They they wrongly announced that it had won Best Movie, but it didn't.
Speaker 4: Do pretty well. It did. Emma Stone won Best Actress for that and so that did do well, and it was up for a lot of awards. But you're right, it was that very very famous Oops we said the wrong name when Moonlight was the real winner. No one could ever forget that moment.
Speaker 3: I'm not kidding. I'm not kidding. It's really Moonlight. Okay, So here's my question. We were talking about the fast turnaround and how that's kind of the way the movies are going to be, But this one is still making a lot of money in the theaters.
Speaker 4: I guess there may be this might be the experiment. Yeah, because it is. It is doing really well in theaters. And just last week was the week when they opened up the theaters to the special sing along screenings. So I don't know, you know, if you've seen any of the videos of people dressed up and singing along and standing up in their seats. But yeah, Wicked is still doing very well at the box office. So I think maybe they're seeing okay, are there? If we put it on streaming, will people continue to go to the theater for those special, you know, group experiences, or will this you know, streaming release kill what they had going at the box office. It'll be interesting to see what happens here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll be watching something else you might want to watch if you don't want to sing along. Is a rather dark show that's available on the stream.
Speaker 4: Yes, so The Penguin couldn't be more different from what it is. So it's about, you know, the Batman villain the Penguin here in this series, he's played by Colin Farrell, who is completely unrecognizable, Like props to the hair and makeup team, you can't tell that it's Colin Ferrell at all. But this is like, you don't see Batman at all. It doesn't feel like a superhero series. It feels like a mafia drama series. And it's about like all of the the big you know, mob bosses that are running Gotham underground. And it is brilliantly acted. It's so gripping. I don't tend to like these types of shows. It's heavy, it's dark, but I could not stop watching. You know, it's only eight episodes, they're about an hour each, and I just, I mean, this is a great show for anyone who's okay with a little bit of violence and a little bit of heavy sort of subject matter.
Speaker 3: Is it an origin story?
Speaker 4: I mean, he's the Penguin sort of picks up. He's not completely un he's plugged into the two big crime families, and so I mean, yes, I guess you could say it is an origin story. It almost feels like it's like running concurrently with what we know Batman to have been doing in Gotham. So it's not like you see him as a kid or anything like that, but you do get to know his you know his family and his mother, and yeah, it's it's great.
Speaker 3: Do you miss Batman?
Speaker 4: No, I mean that's the cool thing about this show. It's like, I'm never waiting for the Batman to show up, because the drama that they have going on with both the Penguin and these mafia families is enough to just keep you completely wrapped. And Christa Miiliotti plays sort of the daughter of one of these crime families, and she is just I mean, I would not be surprised if she wins some big awards at the Golden Globes this weekend as well.
Speaker 3: Oh you just mentioned the Golden Globes, so who's expected to be I didn't even realize they were coming up this weekend. I'm all, my I'm discombobulated because of the holiday. And it's really early this year, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It is it is, and it's you know, this is the first award show of the season, so you know, I think because Thanksgiving was so late this year and then all of a sudden Christmas happened and now here we are an award season. I'm with you. It's like everything is sneaking up on me. But yeah, the Golden Globes are Sunday night, and you know it'll be a big night. I think as far as movies goes, there's this movie called The Brutalist that is expected to do well for the drama the drama categories, and then for comedy and musical of course Wicked. I think is that a big contender along with Amelia Perez and I'm super excited. The Golden Globes are going to be hosted on Sunday Night by Nicki Glazer, who is the first solo female host of the Golden Globes ever, which feels crazy that that's even possible, but she is certainly up for the task. You know, she had a huge twenty twenty four with the roast of Tom Brady and then she had her own stand up special on HBO. So you know, last year people did not love the Golden Globes host. And I, you know, I think that Nicki will prove that when it's a really, really excellent host, it makes or breaks the show. And I think that she will make the show hopefully on Sunday Night.
Speaker 3: Cool And where can we watch that?
Speaker 4: That's on CBS this year for the first time in a long time.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, and then will I don't know if you've watched Squid Game, but I had to have an addendum. We were talking about Squid Game earlier this week because the second season is out, and yes, I watched it, and then I thought that it was the first half of the second season, and then looked and found out that it was actually the full second season. And now the third season comes out in mid next year. But here was my addendum. I said, watch the last episode of season one because it's been three years. Yeah, my addendum is watch the whole season, because I watched the last episode, then I went, well, wait, that doesn't make sense. So then I went back and watched the one before it, and then I said, I gotta go and just watch the whole thing. There is so much that I forgot about that happened just I mean, for one, I have the memory of a nat I don't know about you guys, but but for me, it helped so much and it made so much more makes sense because again it was three years ago and a lot happened that I, yeah, just completely had fallen off my radar.
Speaker 4: I think that's really really good advice, and we're going to have to do it a few times this year because there's some shows with this prestige television it takes them so long to film it and to shoot it and to edit it and all this stuff that like, by the time the next season comes out, you've completely forgotten. Severn season two comes out in February, and then Stranger Things, the fifth and final season also comes out this year, but it's been like over a year since the last season of that. So I think that the Amy King approach to binging the prior season before the new one comes out as a good one.
Speaker 3: Yep, a rebinge is in order. Will gans, thank you so much, appreciate it. Happy New Year and we'll talk to you again and find out the latest in Hollywood next week.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a plan, Amy, Happy New Year to YouTube.
Speaker 3: All right, take care. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland weather from KFI. Lots of clouds today. It's going to be cooler. Gosh, it was like eighty something yesterday in my hood. Areas of thick fog, especially in Orange County. Highs will be in the lot to mid sixties at the beaches Metro La and Inlando c sixties to about seventy in the valleys, up to low seventies for the Inland Empire lod to mid sixties in the Antelope Valley. Then partly cloudy tomorrow with highs in the fifties and sixties warming back on sun, warming back up on Sunday into the sixties to mid seventies. It's forty nine intestin fifty three in Huntington Beach, forty nine and El Segundo and forty eight in Van Eys. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app.