Speaker 1: Who knows what evil learns in the hearts of the Shadow.
Speaker 2: Note the shadow serious character furthers the forces of law and order in reality, the Monk Cranston, wealthy young man about town. The Shadow uses his anotic power to cloud men's minds so that they cannot see him. Crampton's friend and companions, the lovely margle Lane, is the only person who knows to whom the unseen voice of the Shadow belongs. Today's story mention of madness.
Speaker 3: Hello, hello, everybody home.
Speaker 4: I didn't expect it would.
Speaker 3: The monk and we didn't think they saw a lighters became up the road.
Speaker 4: Mother, What in the world then, do then?
Speaker 3: You know how castles get around? No get a useless mother?
Speaker 5: No, one says, well at last, well you do we you will please come this way, Thank you, my mother. Quiet I, I hope your pardon are including on you.
Speaker 3: Here we you sll down the road, will please to seek it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Thanks, as I started to say, we were so down the road, I will strike at night.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Our car was now I will follow the mob start.
Speaker 6: Thank you, ye, Margo, would you be interested in hearing how he was told?
Speaker 4: Well, please be seated, nice, pleasant little man wasn't he? I saw half of it. Dolly has one side? Is his fat as the coin?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I know, start saying enough, it's only sambo on the wall everything. Tell me.
Speaker 6: I don't like him telling Mama, my man tells you that's problem with your car. Yes, he stuck in the mother through the bit. I know this is an offul laid out.
Speaker 7: Please you golf on the business from about housing even by accident. Let me take you introduce myself. I am causs mother, tell uncle of medicine's center. But present mister balhaton castle. I'll have to happen on my own him. Welcome, Thank you Montau, Madoline.
Speaker 4: M mc lane. How do you do mister monitor?
Speaker 6: How do you do that? He lighted mister Cranston. I asked him what way I can serve you? I'd like very much to use your telephone.
Speaker 4: I want to.
Speaker 7: Call it a right telephone. We have no such thing here, no telephone. Nothing new has been put into this castle in sixteen forty, nearly three hundred years ago.
Speaker 6: Three hundred years correctly, that happened with.
Speaker 4: The Austin Cauncil.
Speaker 7: But the early sixteenth century, would you step over here at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, this is a posital to Austin.
Speaker 4: Hm hmm.
Speaker 7: Repositively his native land. Because of political differences, he built this castle. I hope that he could create in this new land a replica of his ancestralousy.
Speaker 4: And we find happiness.
Speaker 7: Come here to this window. That's how it's a difficult, surrounded by miscaus It.
Speaker 3: Is right, I don't quite Oh yes, yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 6: Austin was found hanging by a rope from a lasters. Oh huh, there's a superstition that the bell happened. Ever seen a superstition about the Austin's death?
Speaker 7: Are those who claimed that the practicy the bell happened recurred? This may happened originally right down to the present day. What was that to mister Pratton? Don't be frightnous La the girl? What's wrong with her?
Speaker 4: Melicent?
Speaker 3: Go back to your apartment house, mistress.
Speaker 1: Of it's here.
Speaker 4: It's not in my imagination this time. It's started moved across definitely and down.
Speaker 6: No, there's not, Captain val Horton, since your mother passed down only that's.
Speaker 7: What you've ever seen a care here? No, I found Come, my dear, you're fighting? How I guess lay let me me the present militant capers.
Speaker 4: My dear, we're including hall.
Speaker 6: I hope you won't sit me over a tormous milicin lame and Frankston is an accident. They came here for help, Oh, my dear, nothing serious milicine. Of course, that's in the muddy. We're unable to go any further. You must be that's very kind of humans.
Speaker 3: Milicine.
Speaker 6: But I think we'll push onto the nearest village. I'm afraid that's not feasible. The newest house is ten miles away, well beyond the moor, and.
Speaker 4: I'm the only one who are You must submitted to the hospitality of health.
Speaker 6: That's very kind of you, but I think you're most welcome. I have my man prepare room for you. Look very late, Milicus. You must be off the dad.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm not afraid now that I'm not the robbers. Good night, good night, good night, good night.
Speaker 6: I believe I owe you both an explanation. You see, the child had a frightful stock several years ago.
Speaker 4: Shock.
Speaker 7: Yes, her mother was paralyzed during the latter years of her life, and being quite extensive. She lived here alone, unattended milicine to the school in Europe. So many months, minister, you see no answer to her letters. So she came back to Balhausen and found her mother's skeleton in this room, seated in a wheelchair, her only companion beside her a cat.
Speaker 4: Well, that's let explains. Oh, it explains many things.
Speaker 7: Mister Granson the voice that he hears the departed chances for two and had to started imagination returned to Bellehausen.
Speaker 4: Oh, of course.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm sure that all must be very trying to you both. I'll hurry see you along with your rooms. Make yourselves constable. I'll be back directly.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, thank you. Ah well, Margo, not a pretty situation with.
Speaker 4: What can you do?
Speaker 6: I'm not sure, Marg, I'd like to stay. In fact, I must say, will Margo. It seems that many invisible walk the whole that happened the night.
Speaker 4: There will be one other, the Shadow.
Speaker 8: Don't be a great miss medicine. I mean no help to help you. It helps possible hype a friend.
Speaker 4: I have no name.
Speaker 8: Really, I'm called the Shadow.
Speaker 4: Are you one of the visions?
Speaker 8: No, not one of the visions. I'm a living, breathing model, just like you. But I forget the hypnotic power through which I can create a metal list that makes me invisible.
Speaker 4: You're not one of them, You're not still you know.
Speaker 8: Oh, there's nothing supernatural about these these cattle produce. Speak of that.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, how do you change of the moon?
Speaker 8: With every change of the moon? Have you seen them?
Speaker 4: Just if you was the nicest single servant the.
Speaker 8: Hindu seven, say yes, nothing, tell me about.
Speaker 4: He was my grandson, the last may chance of good life.
Speaker 8: You say he was killed.
Speaker 4: It happened on the name old Barton. It just comes from a hunt on the moon. It is my home.
Speaker 8: No, tell me exactly what it is you've seen it's murder.
Speaker 4: Yes, it happened eighteen years ago. The first guy, he's how how you on the moon? Then I heve se climb slowly? The first landing, send me stop shut. His hand goes to his throat. He makes a burbling town and turns and don't.
Speaker 8: Has anyone else seen this? Anybody but yourself?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: And nobody believes me. I don't suppose you.
Speaker 8: I believe you're since.
Speaker 4: Everybody humors me like I was mad. Sheba was really enough to smile when I told him about the bout. Oh you don't know about it. It's pretty a tree just out by that finger. It comes to an old barkinger. Nothing I do will drive him away, It just SIPs the hollow. I there anything missing? Horrible tone?
Speaker 8: You're positive see all this?
Speaker 4: Miss listen?
Speaker 8: I mean that could be no mistake.
Speaker 4: There you you see? You tell me off? She say you want to get help. How do you seek the case?
Speaker 8: I don't know. I hope there might be a way. Frankly, I just don't know.
Speaker 4: Will you please explain to me why we've been called a course.
Speaker 3: I've told you, sisfy, what this on?
Speaker 4: Why we've been waiting here all the time. Why can't we just go in and tell what we.
Speaker 6: Don't get out of here because the court isn't in session recess?
Speaker 9: All ridiculous school boys stuff. I'll bet you that if women were running these places, seemed it happened a lot faster.
Speaker 8: Than they do.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, I seem to recall a few shopping with you, my dear.
Speaker 9: Oh, well that's different, and the people would hang around, look on your criminal type.
Speaker 4: Everyone. That man came out of.
Speaker 3: That room, that man there, yes, that's the judge. Oh of course as we can be in this woom time.
Speaker 10: You've heard the testimony of Margret Lane and the mont Franceston two uninfeasable in the com court.
Speaker 4: Room to help tend that court girl of institution.
Speaker 3: We couldn't help us those mother.
Speaker 4: He had to tell what we saw and heard about.
Speaker 10: He looked so long it is quite obvious defendant melicicin Chandelford is of unsound mind.
Speaker 4: Evidence proved that beyond the question of doubts, my client called it.
Speaker 10: Montressor has exercise extreme patient in tearing with this unfortunate girl. Now he feels that for her own goods, he should be placed in an institution where she can receive proper professional attacks.
Speaker 4: Let's not call it a why man, what is the meaning of this out there? I'm sorry, a lot of it.
Speaker 1: I just couldn't sigure away.
Speaker 3: If Court three, it's just a moment. Counselor a man come up here?
Speaker 6: Oh what is yours connection with the defendant and missus Santipore.
Speaker 4: But he's the girl. I love the girl.
Speaker 3: I hope the marriage to Laurnto. Mister monistall shut her away from me, Dorona.
Speaker 10: This boy is simply a frontal rejected to that I rejected by whom finalist.
Speaker 4: I'll show you how much were rejected, suitor.
Speaker 3: I am tell him as I do.
Speaker 4: I love you with all Michaels.
Speaker 11: So you see, Judge horn Or, I objected it to play god to let me take us for the let me marry her in terms of protection and affection she deserves you.
Speaker 3: Man, I locked the problem before the court could.
Speaker 4: It pleases the cost. I would like to proceed with argument on motioning to put this girl and instroduce. It pleases the court. Three, that's ten minutes that we can resume in a master day.
Speaker 3: That's fair, everyone will, mother.
Speaker 8: I have an idea and I think it can be executed by the shadows.
Speaker 3: Shadow, whoever you are. This is an impossible thing you ask.
Speaker 4: I'd like to do it for you.
Speaker 6: Lord knows who's done enough to go and order. I've got the hand down of the city. Time the girls commitment papers today.
Speaker 8: Give me two days time, you're une, just two days for comment.
Speaker 4: But I just can't grant post on nothing.
Speaker 8: Your honor, You've got to give me some time to accomplish my top.
Speaker 6: Well, please, your honor, tell you what I'll do. Yeah, I'm probably a sentimental old fool. But I'll give you twenty four hours go not back with something definite in that time.
Speaker 8: I'll have to commit the twenty four hours all it would be sufficious. There's a change of the moon.
Speaker 4: The next change the moon I've been placed. It has that to do with the case.
Speaker 8: Maybe nothing good on that.
Speaker 12: Maybe everything's funnyness laying the way things came in just a few hours today, when you lift their crass.
Speaker 4: Attend to fight, I was sure I could go on hating your poll for the rest.
Speaker 3: Of my life.
Speaker 4: We were in a bad front, Rubber.
Speaker 2: Oh, but I can see now just how modists all made use of your visitor now house supportable break.
Speaker 12: He was looking for too prominent people like you, the bare out of contention that Milicent was made.
Speaker 4: My fellow, that Monle, he'd make a nice troking for honeymoon. Your consort over getting her bow.
Speaker 6: Houses exply better go over, But we're expected to do. There's not much to a rubbers you and miss Lens in the turn. I'll get in the castial sometimes and I'll open the side door under Minister's pusson for you in the flame.
Speaker 4: But we moved, maybe for a month sounds simple the way you're telling it. How are you ever gonna do it?
Speaker 3: I let you in analytic secret, Robin. I do it all with Miller.
Speaker 4: How everything you men to get into without? We got uncle credit?
Speaker 3: Don't give me the credit, Miller.
Speaker 4: Mister Grafton did it. I don't know how that he turned the drink. That's the sense. And the important thing is you and miss Flaming here and you've got my dad. So it sounds good.
Speaker 3: I don't know if telling ability.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's here. It's hunting again.
Speaker 3: Don't you won't take the longer?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: You know? Backs? Yeah, right down the mother's look the window. It's the votes close to the window, most within me, Robert, let me have that letter open him? What are you going to do the month?
Speaker 6: I'm going to try my hand against a lot of nights though, John, Yes, fine, alright, step back. Mother, let her gold light his breath, yell eaves and.
Speaker 4: Interesting, very interesting. I couldn't say there's nothing you can do.
Speaker 3: No wait, Robert mount and here's something up.
Speaker 4: No more are you going.
Speaker 6: To move?
Speaker 3: They're coming this way.
Speaker 6: Anyone can live in a place like this is still hold on with the ten. Others have reasons that way, Margo. I don't exclude him. Okay, I think that somebody. Yes, my look put.
Speaker 4: Out that simbo. I'm going out my whole. I don't want to light to seam prove.
Speaker 3: M nah ah right.
Speaker 4: I opened the door and I'm going all right, open up.
Speaker 1: Use your boy.
Speaker 6: Step through, Robber the black Now coaches follow me, Robert, Yeah, stot down behind the scot stream. You can see the stairs, mister yes, looking around.
Speaker 4: That's our man. I'll watch it.
Speaker 3: Maybe, m No, keep hid it.
Speaker 4: Here's the lay. Be ready to run, Robert, what are we gonna do? Heavy up before he can get to that big bikes done at the bottom of the stairs. Cookie stopped on the lay ready now.
Speaker 13: Full button choking and he falls down the thing. Come on, Robert, stop, tell where you are come. I look, mister, no, we're on your home all the way. Robert there, you've got enough with the culture.
Speaker 4: Oh no, you got him.
Speaker 8: You know him right in the.
Speaker 4: Don't worry, you don't know.
Speaker 3: We'll see tracking my proper. I'll turn him over.
Speaker 6: You should see that, mister Creston. All right, now see who Robert take medicine to her apartment. Mago, you come with me.
Speaker 4: To my mother, h what's mean? I want to look at that boat? Please?
Speaker 3: Right outside the door?
Speaker 4: All right, mother, after you?
Speaker 3: Than yeah, there's a charm and pethered friend.
Speaker 4: Still still terrible and still to that that confounded voice. Take a look at this what is it? A while?
Speaker 3: Yes, and if I'm not mistaken it, well, let's give it a yank.
Speaker 4: And see what what a long hand, long copper and tell me an.
Speaker 3: Here we are, Ma'll go.
Speaker 6: If the vultures in it, heart, soul and mind, they're all in peace in this little device.
Speaker 4: It's like a radio loud seaton.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 4: I have no idea vaulted the speak to creature.
Speaker 3: You take the car, drive to the big and from the police. Don't let them know who you are, but tell them to get up here right away.
Speaker 6: I'm going to follow this wire, probably to one of those abandoned god hous at the end of the morn. Tell the police to watch for a flashlight signal and rush to the location and hold anybody they may find there. The shadow is going to find a human vulture at the other end of this line. About one more longer the time see signal to take it down and bring it in. Okay, honest it thought tag into the next microphone. Now, don't you want me to do the hounds again? Yeah, it's at that part I get founded coming back across tomorrow. So I had to figure out it.
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 4: Did you do that? Diggison?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 8: Over there by the door. That laugh is not in Stevenson's repertoires impersonations.
Speaker 4: Motosaoul stiggingson what times there is it? You see anybody?
Speaker 8: I'll answerpont him Motosol. He can't see me anymore than you can.
Speaker 4: Well, who are you?
Speaker 8: I am the shadow?
Speaker 1: He?
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, I've heard of you.
Speaker 8: Quite an elaborat array of insanity producing machinery you have here?
Speaker 7: What do you mean that's simple portable broadcasting outset. We're radio amateurs, that's all.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, sure that's all.
Speaker 8: Amateurs at radio. But professionals a crime.
Speaker 4: I'm afraid you're making a mistake.
Speaker 8: You're the one who's made the mistake. Montosol. You made the mistake of thinking you could drive medicine. Cancel but mad, or at least make a believe it.
Speaker 1: How mad?
Speaker 4: This is ridiculous. I don't know what they're talking about.
Speaker 8: You then I add me motoso, I am only concerned with just trying your play, your.
Speaker 4: Control of them.
Speaker 8: That canfol board and.
Speaker 3: Unfortunate at the what's that couplet of appeals?
Speaker 8: How long he's drive coming for you and you're impersonating competitors The police run run for your too.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh guess it looks a lot different than did the first time we came here.
Speaker 4: A margot m hm.
Speaker 6: So glad those kids are getting married. She looks very lovely in that wedding gown, doesn't she m see Are you listening to me?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, I was just thinking what would happen if you were.
Speaker 9: This is your supposition? Are you just speaking of you walking up the aisle. This is robberies now ready to take the sacred vows that can endure over the rest of your life. Yes, all of a sudden somebody would shoot the best man, the minister would fall down, poison, bride maid would be sad, and you'd be off again.
Speaker 4: On another case, I fuck up the whole Dawn Say.
Speaker 11: Dave's program is based on a story copywriting about the Shadow magazine. All the characters and all the places named are the Kiss Any similarity to person's living or dead is purely coincidental. The Shadow magazine is on sale at your local news.
Speaker 4: The Weed of Crime.
Speaker 8: There's a proof crime does not pay. The Shadows