Speaker 1: We're Tom Lorenzo and this is the Pop Style Opinion Fest. Hello kittens, welcome back to another edition of the PSO. I am the team. You're te Low, Tom Fitzgerald, and I'm here with the Low and your te Lot Lorenzo, my cousin, I love the husband, and we are back from our trip back and Lorenzo is dying. He told me he was like, I am talking about the trip on the podcast. You were giving me fifteen minutes talk about.
Speaker 2: We're asking on Instagram and you know, they want to know about our trip and.
Speaker 1: Let me just set the stage and then you can go, because you're very bad at setting the stage if you haven't been paying attention or listening. We took a almost two ten day trip to Edinburgh and Donic, Ireland, and a couple of days in Dublin and it was a lovely time. And Lorenzo planned the entire trip because I am I've been with this man long enough to know that you just get out of his way when there's a trip to be planned. So I'm turning this over to you. If you follow us on Instagram, and you should, it's Tom and Lorenzo Official because our original Tom and lorenzo Instagram account got hacked and we're no longer part of that. So Tom and Lorenzo Official. If you go there on Instagram, you will see hundreds of pictures from our trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you see a ton of pictures because I always do that because sometimes I feel like it's a little too self endored. But people love it. People love it. They say, oh my god, I'm so glad to see your pictures. You take great pictures, and I think it's a way to share. So if you're planning a trip, you know, you get inspired by the pictures and the places we've been. I was my entire life. I've always wanted to go to Scotland. I don't know why. I guess because I liked the culture and everything about it. So I was very excited. We we were we we got invited to a wedding uh in in Ireland, and that was the original plan with the whole family. So uh so we were talking about it and then we're like, oh, why don't we just go to Scotland too, Like, since we're there, let's just add another you know, leg and uh we did, and I'm my god, I'm so glad we did.
Speaker 1: Edinburgh is magical. I say, it's kind of a beautiful, magical city.
Speaker 2: You go ahead, No, no, no, I mean Scotland is absolutely magical. It's everything I saw on TikTok five hundred thousand times on YouTube everywhere. It's really what you see online and more. It's a beautiful, magical place. Uh. There's so much history everywhere you can feel it. Uh. And it's so beautiful and the people were so friendly. I have to emphasize this. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful and it was just great. We had the most amazing experience. It's funny because Tom's family, some of his siblings went first a couple of days first before we landed there, and they were taking pictures and I see all these people wearing jackets and blazes, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: It was one hundred and five to grays in Philadelphia. I now left ye and we landed in cold weather.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was really cold. I mean I wasn't even going to bring a jacket, but you know, I'm glad I did. So. It was kind of like cloudy, gray and a little bit of rain in the beginning. And then it's funny, towards the end of the trip, we were like wearing shorts and it was so hot. Right anyway, we made a very good decision. I highly recommend that we took the bus toward to the Highlands. We went to the Loch Nest, glen Coe and the Highlands and all that area, and it was just it's a long trip. You were on a bus a long time because it's not that close to Edinburgh, but it's so worth it. I mean just going and looking at the you know, just the scenery and and the mountains and everything. And then every time we stopped, my god.
Speaker 1: It's just heaven. It's beautiful. It doesn't seem real. It doesn't seem when you're standing and it doesn't seem real.
Speaker 2: So we got to see a lot of things. Everything you can imagine. Dura Mile is it's very touristy, but so magical. The castle, my god, it's it's not even just a castle, it's a whole village up there. It's just phenomenon. We had great time. We also had tea there. We did the afternoon tea at the castle with the whole family, which was very lovely. So we visit every pretty much every place. We walked a lot. We saw a lot as you can see. I took a bunch of pictures and of course I had to try the kilt. I mean I had to you you can see pictures of me wearing on my our Instagram account. And it was funny. The whole thing started with us talking because we have we had a family group for the trip, and some of the guys, the in laws, were saying, well, I'm thinking abouting a kilt. And then I'm like, oh my god, let's do it. Let's all do it, and we'll take a picture all together, all the boys together wearing kilts. But of course knew what he did it. I did it. I was like, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Do my memory play. That was not my memory no. No, no one said I think I'll do it. Lorenzo was let's all do it. No one, no one suggested doing this. You were the one. Well the funny thing, and everybody was like, no, I don't think I'll do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But after I did it, people were like, well, I wish I had.
Speaker 1: Done one person anyway I did it. One person said, oh I wish I had done that.
Speaker 2: Anyway I did it, and I thought.
Speaker 1: It was the he or my husband told me to shut up. And the bitch in this marriage. But I am not the bitch anyway.
Speaker 2: No, he's not.
Speaker 1: I had the most of me. You're not dead serious there for a second. No, really, I am the bitch.
Speaker 2: I am the bitch.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I had I love the experience. Uh. You know, I'm a fashion person. I've always looked at men wearing them. I think it's so hot and masculine and beautiful. So I was like, I need to do it. Uh and I had. I had no idea what I was doing, and I didn't want it to do it, you know wrong. I mean I didn't want to like make a fool out of myself anyway. So I went to the store. Uh and uh, this guy at the store was so helpful. He measured me and you know, the whole thing to show me how to do it, because it, you know, there's very specific things about where it has to go up you know, below you your belly button and all that, and the knees for the you know where he has to hit your knee, and then the socks and the flashes, you know, the little flags that you had to the to the socks, all that stuff. So I wanted that. I was like watching videos how to how to wear it, and I loved it, loved the experience, and I have it now and I'm gonna wear it. I'm gonna wear it. He did in filled it. I love it. It was just a great experience. Anyway, Scottland was phenomen.
Speaker 1: My favorite thing speaking of kilts, is I mean, we got to see a lot of kilts while we were there, but my favorite thing was seeing guys who were not dressed up and we're not in the full regalia, and I have this very strong image. When we were in the Highlands, we stopped in this one small town. Actually it was the town where we took the ferry out to lock Nest, So we were right on Locknest.
Speaker 2: It's Fort Augustus, Okay, that's.
Speaker 1: The town, and we were waiting in line for the boat and this guy just walked by. He was just some local walking by and he was in a gray kilt with a gray hoodie and a pair of sneakers, and I just loved it. I was like, that is such a cool look. Yes, yes, it's traditional, but it's moderns It has a certain formality to it, but it's clearly not formal, and it's just very relaxed, and it really I mean I knew this about the kilt, but to see it in play to say that it actually is a workable garment. It's not some ceremonial garment for a Scottish men. It's it's a workable garment. A lot of them will walk around wearing it in casual situations.
Speaker 2: So I loved it. I did a lot of research because you know, you also have the Great kilt that's the one you see on Outleander that is pretty much just a piece of cloth that you literally lie on the floor and you wrap it around you. That's how they were in the on the TV show Outleander. But anyway, and I asked people, I asked local, I asked the guy, and I was like, am I insulting people here by wearing this? You know, I don't want to, you know, be accused of like you know, cultural appropriation or anything like that. But they were like, no, my god, no, everyone loves when people wear them, you know. So I did it. Loved it anyway. Scotland was absolutely phenomenal. I highly highly recommended. The food was great, Yes, hagus I didn't.
Speaker 1: Well, Lorenzo's a vegetari there's a vegetari, but they're not on any of the restaurants we went to. None of them had it. Also, Lorenzo managed to find a restaurant with absolutely nothing on the menu that I liked. It was. It was a tremendous feet on his part. First the haggis. I'm the type of person who, if I go to a country, I'm gonna, yeah, give me the haggis. When we went to Germany, I was like, all right, strudel and brought worst. That's what I'm going to do. Like, if you're here, you're here. You want to try those things. And I'm not precious about foods that might be considered a little questionable or or that other people might consider gross. As our tour guide said when we were on the Highland bus and he was talking about hagis, He's like, I don't want to hear anything from Americans. You all eat hot dogs, and you know you're you don't want to think about what's in a hot dog. But it's no better or worse than what's in hagus. It was fine. I had it to have it. I had it to say that I had it, to experience it and to because you know, satisfy my curiosity, but I'll never have it again. And I wasn't. I wasn't grossed out by the flavor of it at all, and I'm not grossed out by what it's made of. It's mostly made of orgon me as far as I understand, and you know, oatmeal and spices and stuff like that. It tasted fine, it had. It tasted like a spicy meat loaf. My issue with it was the consistency. I do not like mushy food. That's me. I do not like mushy food at all. Like I can't eat things like croquettes like minced you know, chicken crow, that sort of thing, I can't eat. I don't like it. So and that was my thing. And I know there are forms of hagas that are like deep fried, that have like a heavy crust on them. But I had the traditional haggis with the tatties and the NEPs, and I'm glad it was delicious. But I really don't like mushy food, and that's probably why I'll never have it again.
Speaker 2: We tried several things. We tried the kerneken is that kranneken, I think, which is basically a trifle but delicious, very very good. The Iron Brew Iron brew to drink, which tastes like I don't know.
Speaker 1: Clough syrup. I didn't like it at all.
Speaker 2: It has a very unique flavor. And the funny thing you asked people what does it taste like? What is it? Nobody knows? People are like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. To me, it tasted like children's cold medicine. It had that really sweet, thick, syrupy feel to it, and it it had a non specific flavor to it. There was a slight sort of orange, but I don't even know if that was psychological, because drink is so bright orange that you expect it to taste citrusy and maybe you just fill that blank in I don't know.
Speaker 2: To me, felt a little berry ish. I don't know.
Speaker 1: S I didn't get that anyway, But I did like Robotus and the kids I had it to.
Speaker 2: And it was all right. I mean, I didn't hate it, but that was that.
Speaker 1: Edinburgh Castle, Dean Village.
Speaker 2: Dean Village. I highly recommend Dean Village because when you go online, people take a picture by the by those buildings, you know, by the bridge, and that's it. They go home. No, you have to explore the whole area. It is so nice, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's gorgeous.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely nice to just walk around. There's a river and then there's like gardens and all that stuff around it.
Speaker 1: It's just beautiful. It's beautiful and beautiful. It looks like a fairytale village and it looks like, you know, eighteen sixty never ended. I mean, it's very much a snapshot of.
Speaker 2: A time far from the main city. Yeah, you can actually walk if you feel like walking, but it's a long walk. It's like thirty eight minutes.
Speaker 1: In case you can't tell, we're battling our post trip.
Speaker 2: I know we're a little we're lacking sick.
Speaker 1: But I apologize. All right, let's take a short break and we'll come back and wrap up our trip. Yes, right, we'll be right back. We're back and we're going to wrap up our vacation coverage. But we have a few more things we wanted to talk about Scotland. Yeah, let's yeah, we want to talk about the Ireland leg of our trap, but there's a couple more things we want to talk about in Scotland, in Edinburgh specifically. I know we wanted to talk you want to talk about Mary King's clothes.
Speaker 2: Which was phenomenon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let me explain. I'm gonna let Lorenzo explain Mary King's clothes, but let me explain that where we were staying in Edinburgh and where you get. You know, it's like the tourist attraction of all tourist attraction is what's called the Royal Mile. And it's literally a mile long street, all cobblestones leading up a hill and it leads directly to Edinburgh. It ends at Edinburgh Castle. And there are tourist attractions all over this mile. There are shops, there are restaurants, there are bars. It's where you go to get the Edinburgh experience. And one thing I want to say about the Royal Mile is it's very much a tourist it's there, it's you know, I want to how do I say this. It's a tourist attraction. But I also want to be clear here. It is an ancient, historic mile. I mean, you know, it's not something a threw together and you feel that history. And maybe because it's not simply some row of shops that actually has historic significance to it, it's it's very very old. It doesn't feel like a tourist trap. It doesn't feel chintzy or anything. There are chintzy gift shops where you can buy cheap ass kilts and tetels and magnets, but I.
Speaker 2: Didn't think they were as aggressive as in Paris, for example, and I have and.
Speaker 1: There are also places in any city actually, but in any European city where you know, you get into a tourist area and it's just shitty stores and bad restaurants. And this is not that. The Royal Mile is the real deal. You will get a real slice of Edinburgh, but at the Edinburgh. But at the same time you're you were you also get all your needs as a as a tourists met. You know, you can buy your souvenirs, you can have your hagus, you can stop and have a beer. Saint Giles Cathedral is right there, just stunning. I was looking at the pictures of Saint Giles Cathedral yesterday because Lorenzo uploaded the five thousand pictures that he took on his anyway, I was looking at those pictures and I was really blown away by how beautiful the church was. And it's kind of a shame because we went there on our first day, we met up with my siblings to go to that church, and uh, we were up for like thirty sees.
Speaker 2: We just dropped our box, so yeah, we dropped our bags. We couldn't check any yet, and then we just went out for a walk. Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I barely remember that. I'm looking at the pictures and I'm like, I barely remember going to this church anyway. It's also where the bagpipers come out and play in their full Scottish you know regalia and the kilts and the hats and everything. And Lorenzo took his picture next to one, and my brother took his picture next to a much hotter one. We're all looking for the hot one anyway. Why don't you explain what Mary King's Closes, which is one of the tourist attractions on the Royal Mile and a close. They're all over Edinburgh. They're historically significant. If you want to be reductive about it. It's an alleyway, but they're very elaborate alleyways in between buildings right on multiple levels. They like there are labyrinths involved.
Speaker 2: And they're you know, ways to get from one part of the city to the next, and they're beautiful. I meant lots of steps, lots of step, yes, lots of steps. You know, there's a lot of that on Edinburgh, so you have to get used to it or walk very slow. But anyway, the most famous one, i'd say is the real Mary King's Clothes, which they have a tour they open. I forget when they opened for the public. It was closed for a long time and then they open for the public, you know, for tourists, and they have a tour. The real Americans closed. It's basically a it dates to like the seventeenth century.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seventeenth century.
Speaker 2: It's pretty much a It's a close that is located under the Edinburgh City Chambers.
Speaker 1: They built the City Chambers over this close and they built the City Chambers in like the eighteen hundreds or the yeah, the late like the late Victorian era. But for two hundred years prior to that, it was essentially a tenement or an apartment building. There were it was on multiple levels. You went down an alleyway, but then this alleyway branched off and went in right it turns into an elaborate hidden city and it was six floors of businesses and merchants and you know, we went through the whole tour. And part of the reason we're talking about this is because it's been what little that is left of that close, because a lot of it was built over, they have maintained as in its original form, so you can go toward it. And it's one of those things where they have people in period costumes who pretend to be you know, I was. It was you know, I died in eighteen fifty whatever, and I kind of hate that stuff. But she was good, and it was fascinating because you start at the lower level and it's where the rats and the poor people and the plague is, and then you move up very and then there's a middle class level, which is literally a middle class, and then there's an upper level where you know, merchants live and you get to go up. Mary Kane was a burgess and she was right in like the sixteen or early seventeen hundreds, and the close was named after her, and go ahead, yeah.
Speaker 2: The clothes was named after her, you know, many years later, but it's pretty much her view of the whole thing. So you get this this guide dressed like her, and she's as you know, I'm Mary, I was born and blah, blah blah. And I usually hate that kind of thing, I really do. I just don't like it. It's not my thing. Not saying, you know some people like that, but I have to say, in this case was very necessary because you needed guidance.
Speaker 1: You need to know you were looking at now.
Speaker 2: You had no idea what you're going down to or up to, and you needed someone to tell you exactly what those rooms were and explain everything. Show the walls, you know, and it's so dark and cold downstairs.
Speaker 1: Really hard to picture how people lived there. But it was fascinating because I've never heard of closes before going to Edinburgh. I didn't know they existed, and I didn't know I didn't know people ever lived that way.
Speaker 2: And when you go down to the you know, lowest level where the very poor people lived, she showed rooms that like tiny, like bathroom size rooms that where sixteen twelve, sixteen people lived. Yeah, I died and died with no light, no nothing, So it was very interesting. It's so dark where you go that she actually has a flashlight. The guide has a flash light and she shows you things on the walls, you know, everywhere. I highly recommend it. It's it's a very interesting part of the history. Uh and and it gives you a very interesting perspective of things. How things were, you know back then?
Speaker 1: In anything else in Edinburgh that you wanted to talk about. We talked about Dean's Village. Did Dean Village?
Speaker 2: Yeah. The only thing I say is there's so many beautiful things. Scott Monument is gorgeous, all these things that you everything is absolute as you see online, absolutely beautiful. The only thing I highly recommend that almost killed me is that you go to the Ross Fountain to see the castle from the ross Fountain point of view. We were walking around the museum, the National Gallery and so and I decided to go. I thought it was very close and it was a very very hot day. Tom said no, I'll stay here, and I went. I almost died because it was so hot. But just go look at the pictures on Instagram on our Instagram account. It is the most beautiful view of the castle from the Ross Field.
Speaker 1: The only other thing I'll mention is the Witchery, where we went to dinner for our final night in Edinburgh. It is a pretty famous restaurant. It's as I said, it was impressive that Lorenzo found a restaurant where I don't like anything on the menu because I am not a picky eater at all. But we got there and listen, it's gorgeous.
Speaker 2: It's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: It's very gothic on the inside. Lorenzo has pictures. If you want the experience, go for that. But I agreed with what a lot of online reviewers said was that the food was nothing.
Speaker 2: No, nothing directly, but it's okay. The food is not bad. My fish, it's not bad, but the food is not great. Here's what happened. I'm usually the picky one. I mean, Tommy's always the one having to, you know, be concerned about if they have what I what I can eat every single time you go to a restaurant. So I thought they were going to have something for him. So, you know, I just looked at the manuals like, all right, I'll have this fish done. Didn't even occur to me that that wasn't something that tom was gonna eat because he didn't want to eat seafood.
Speaker 1: That we had a lot of seafood. And also there's a lot of the seafood on that menu was very much of the fish in cream, a variety of seafood, which is not my thing.
Speaker 2: So the restaurant has two parts what they call the old building, the old room and then the garden. We ate in the old room. I'm not saying it correctly, but anyway, it's the old part of the restaurant, which is absolutely gorgeous. Drop that gorgeous. It's so dark with candles, candle light, you know, it's just beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very moody, very very.
Speaker 2: Medieval, kind of like kind of looking. But always the food was okay, service was very good. The aw waiters were very polite, very friendly. Just the food was okay. But if you want the experience go, I highly recommend it. It's not that expensive.
Speaker 1: All right, real quick, because we haven't even gotten to the topic like this week's guest yet. What do you want to say about Donegal town where we spent a few days.
Speaker 2: We wanted to go again. We got invited to a wedding again and I said, of course, because you know, we wanted to go to Ireland again. This time the wedding was in a different part of the country Donegal last time was around no not Goalwie. It was somewhere in between. Tommy Cavin, Yes, but we ended up going to go. We took the Boss Tour, but this time the wedding was in Donegal and we wanted to go. So we landed in Dublin from Edinburgh and we drove to Donegal and so we made a quick stop at Mallingah, which is a.
Speaker 1: Little town in the west of Ireland where my mother's family is from. And years ago, so my mother's great great great great grandfather I think, was married to a woman and they had thirteen children, because of course they did Ireland in the eighteen sixties and typically were people in Ireland who have thirteen children. He had trouble feeding them, and this was during the famine, and he stole a neighbor's sheep to feed his family and he was arrested her and he was sent to a work camp in Australia. It's very Irish diaspora story. There's a million people who have stories like this in their family. And she got on a boat with her thirteen kids and came to New York. So my mother always you know, she had done my father had actually done research on her family and everything. Pardon me, I am battling my post vacation cold. Anyway, So my parents went to Mullingar sometime in the nineteen nineties and my father had done the research. My brother in law, Sean had also done a lot of research. He's an archivist, and they knew the family history. I don't think my mother grew up hearing the story about him stealing the sheep. I think that was something that was Yes, it was uncovered in this research that my father and my brother in law did. So anyway, they go to Moulangar, this is thirty years ago, and they're in a pub as one does when they're in Ireland, and they're talking to the locals as one does, and someone asks or she mentions that her family is from that area, and she's the person they were talking to. It was the bartender actually said, oh, what's the family name, and she said tore Me and he said, oh, the sheep stealers. So that sort of became legend in our family that, you know, her family was legendary for stealing sheep in this small town in the west of Ireland. Anyway, it was very charming, Like a lot of these small towns in Ireland, they don't overly pretty it up for now. They that, but it's still innately charming, which I love because I do. It reminded me of like an old beach town. Yes that's what it felt like. But yeah, afternoon there we went to the Carvery Buffet which was on weekend afternoons and just had lunch there with all the locals.
Speaker 2: It was phenomenal. And then we you know, we moved on to Donegal, which we spent a great time to have a beautiful castle there that we had.
Speaker 1: Pretty much the whole thing all to ourselves, to.
Speaker 2: Ourselves because we we went very early in the morning. Like I said, we were there for the wedding, so we didn't have a lot of time to do a lot of things, but I tried my best. So we took a bus to a town nearby which they claim is the oldest town in Ireland called what is it? Oh my god, god, I can't remember now, sham Bell and shan and thank you. Charming town.
Speaker 1: Very nice again, one of those rundown towns, but just very very charming, lots of old buildings and just very you know, you want to go to places that aren't necessarily touristy to just sort of get a sense of, you know, how people live, where people live and I really enjoyed in there. It was a really really charming town. And shout out to the mystery lesbian who found us in the church yard. We you know, as so many of these towns have, there's one very large church looking over the town and we decided to go look at it because it was an old church. That's Bally again, bally Shannon, yes, and the you know, bally Shannon and Donegal are very close to the Northern ire They're part of the Republic, but they're close to Northern Ireland, which means there is a heavy Protestant uhluence influence there. So the church is in the area and that is something I wasn't used to because I haven't been to Northern Ireland. The churches in the area were not Catholic, they were Church of Ireland anyway, so this was a Church of Ireland church had a very very old UH cemetery and we were walking around the cemetery. Town again, just the two of us, just a two of us, and this is not a touristy town, so there aren't a lot of people there, aren't. There weren't any people there. She saw she was in the churchyard as well, and I mean, maybe I shouldn't make assumptions, but my I spoke to my gay brother and his husband who were there that weekend, and we described this woman and they were like, oh, no, she was a lesbian. She had a pair of jords on and a flannel shirt, and she had a butch haircut. The way she looked at us and she was grace well, and I want to say, yeah, yeah, when we have traveled in the pit that has happened. That happens with gay people. Sometimes you see each other in a setting where there are clearly no other gay people, and you sort of you either know or you So anyway, she came up to us, and she was Irish and she came up and she said are you Are you here visiting? And she said it with a certain sense of wonder because it really isn't the kind of town you visit. And well he said yes, And she said, have you seen the famine mound? And I said no, And so she said, let me show you, and she walked us around to the back of the church. She wasn't a local, she was actually visiting for the day as well. She said her mother was from there. But she showed it to us, and that you know, famine melms exist in all over Ireland, but I'd never actually had one pointed out to me. And it was, you know, a mass grave. During the famine, they just would scoop up all the Catholics and dump them in a mass grave behind their beautiful church, English church. And she she relayed the whole story to us in very bitter tones, and I was like, yes, I hear you.
Speaker 2: Sister, and the and sadly, you can't do much about it. It's not like you can clean it up.
Speaker 1: And it's not a hill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a hill.
Speaker 1: They put a rock on top of it, but there's no monument, there's no nothing. And these are not uncommon. You can find these in Irish towns anyway.
Speaker 2: So it added some interesting, you know, perspective, and it was nice that she pointed out. We thanked her very much and anyway, so then, uh, after the wedding, we all went back to Dublin. The rest of the family flew back to Philadelphia, but we decided to stay a few more days because we wanted to spend you know a few more days in Doubling. And I love Doubling. I think I love it.
Speaker 1: I think we had a lovely time there.
Speaker 2: We had a lovely time there, and we went to the Bleni Museum for the first time. We did things that we hadn't done on our first trip because our first trip we pretty much covered everything. But this time we were like, all right, let's just go to places we haven't been before. The Bleni Museum. I highly recommend it. It's one of the things we did.
Speaker 1: Doublenia saying it so quickly. Double Nia Museum is the Viking Museum.
Speaker 2: Right next to the christ Church, which is my favorite church in Dublin. Anyway, we had a wonderful time, wonderful time. I want to thank the people of Ireland and Scotland. The friendliest people have ever met my life. They're so sweet, so nice, so friendly, at least to us again, and we had a wonderful time.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree. All right, let's take another break and when we come back. Here's what we're going to talk about. We're going to quickly run through the Emmy nominations because we're very behind on that. Then we're I'm sorry, I'm rasping into this my microphone and I apologize, uh, And then we're doing little House on the Prairie. Yes, we actually watched it, and we have opinions. And then how's of the Dragon House of the Dragon? Correct, we'll be right back where back? And now we're going to jump right into the Emmy nominations, which came out while we were on vacation, and we promise you we were going to have thoughts when we record their next podcast. So here we go. First up, I'm thrill but Wire those By got a historic number of nominations, and I hope everybody sweeps.
Speaker 2: Now we'll talk about it.
Speaker 1: But anyway, what else that I'm not particularly interested in snubs, although I am kind of happy that someone like Jeremy Allen White did not get nominated for the Bear because that show was wildly over nominated. But you know, you're just I also think it's good that Stranger Things did not get any nominations because honestly, that final season sucked.
Speaker 2: I agree, but we had like what to k other day age as usual, the you know, hacks and uh snow horses.
Speaker 1: Pit of course, the pit, the pit, the pit, hacks, hacks, hacks. I really don't want hacks to win anything. And I know you must be furious that Meganstalter was nominated.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just annoyed that every pretty much everybody, yeah yeah, and they were annoyed that that, I forget her name. The other actress who part of the office didn't get nominated because.
Speaker 1: Jabby Hoffman, like, are you kidding me? I didn't think any of those people deserve All right, let's steal a few. Let's run through some of these. The nominations for Drama Series, The Diplomatic, Gilded Age, and Night of the Seven Kingdoms, Paradise, The Pit, Floribus, Slow Horses, Your Friends and Neighbors.
Speaker 2: Your friends and neighbors really right.
Speaker 1: The criticallly like it. I'd love love to see Slow Horses get it because this show is I mean, I think it's the critics love it, and I think it has its audience, but it doesn't get the kind of no that's juice that so many other shows get. I understand why The Pit is nominated so much. It really is an excellent show, much like Hacks was an excellent show. But the problem with the Emmys is they over nominated. They just overdo it. But I would not suggest that they don't deserve this nomination.
Speaker 2: It's a fine line, like you stop nominating them because you know you want to nominate other people, you know, even though they did a good job. You know, it's it's a tricky situation. But at the same time, it's like, I mean, how many times you know these people are gonna get nominated.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised the Guilded Age got nominated. I really don't think it's on the same level as some of these other shows. I'm also pleasantly surprised that A Night of the Seven Kingdoms was nominated, and happy to see the sloribis there. Honestly, there's no one in this group that I would be mad if they well, I know, actually there's no one in this group I would be mad if they want. If I had to pick which one I want to win, I honestly, even though I love Pluribus and I love A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, I would probably pick slow Horses that's shown deserves some recognition.
Speaker 2: In terms of deserving Yes, I see it's a little.
Speaker 1: Horses, but I can't make a prediction as who as to who's I mean, I think the pit is probably the most likely. All Right, drama lead actress Cary kuon the guilded Age Chase, Infinity, The Testaments. That's actually a little surprising, but she was in the Best Picture Winner last year. So that's what happens is with the Oscars, you get a gloss on you and it's it starts moving on to your next project. I mean, that's why it's a big deal when people get nominated or when people are in nominated films. It's very good for their career.
Speaker 2: That's why they do the Red Carpet, they do all that stuff. Yeah, they get exposure.
Speaker 1: All right. Carry kuon The Guildeage Chase, Infinity, The Testaments, Carrie Russell, The Diplomat, Rayes Seahorn, Ploribus, Zendeia Euphoria. Why do I feel like this is going to Zendaiya. Yeah, because she's got so much buzz on her. It's the final season. They killed off her character, didn't they. Yeah, so oh it's probably and they want her to show up and they want her to bring Tom Holland with her.
Speaker 2: So yeah, hope Eckett.
Speaker 1: Who would I give it to? Well, I haven't seen The Testaments. I haven't seen this season of The Diplomat. I loved ray Seahorn and Plorabas right right. I don't have a thought here. I think this is actually a very limited It doesn't really get into it right now.
Speaker 2: I think I haven't watched. I don't like Pluribus, but I think she deserves it. I mean she's great, she is great in it, she really is. She's the whole show pretty much. So yeah, i'd say her my choice, all right, nots India at all anyway.
Speaker 1: Drama lead actor Sterling K. Brown Paradise, Gary Oldman, Slow Horses, Mark Ruffalo, tesk rufus Sewell The Diplomat, Noah Wiley The Pit. Honestly, I don't have a thought. I would give Gary Oldman because I like that.
Speaker 2: Show, Slow Horses, but I think I haven't.
Speaker 1: Seen any of the other ones. I mean I saw the Pit.
Speaker 2: But The Diplomat is good, but I don't think it is that great. I think season one was great, but then it's all right now, Noah, It's gonna wain of.
Speaker 1: Course, probably all right. Drama supporting actress Taylor Deared in The Pit, Fiona d'Oro The Pit, Alis and Janny The Diplomat, Katherine le Nassa The Pit, Sepidei Moaffi The Pit, Julianne Nicholson, Paradise, Caroline Vidra, Ploribus.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, it's gonna be one of the one of the book girls, of course. All Right. Drama supporting actor The Pit, The Pit, The Pit, to Bit the Pit. Patrick Billy crought up The Morning Show, Sean Hatosi, The Pit, Jaron Howell, The Pit, Jack Lowdon Slow Horses, Tom Pelfrey, Task, Carlos, Manuel Vega, Ploribus. I did love him in Ploribus. He was really good.
Speaker 2: Again, is this a less season of The Pit?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, Jesus, here we go. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know. Yeah, I again, I'm not up on The Pit. I've watched it, but I I haven't watched them. It's not much of the most.
Speaker 2: It's not my kind of show. I know it's a great show. I know. I know they do a great job, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not into medical procedurals. I know it's very good. I don't need people to tell me that I should watch it. I did catch a few episodes. High quality work. Good luck to all, I agree.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 1: Comedy series Abbot Elementary, The Bear, The Bear, Please Hacks, Marco's Got Money Troubles, nobody wants its only murders in the building, Shrinking, Widow's Bay, wid Dose Bay.
Speaker 2: I mean, if they don't give it to Widow's Bay, I will scream Hacks.
Speaker 1: Baby Now, Widows bake them on. I love Abbot Elementary, they love the Bear, but Widows Bay is the most inventive show of the year.
Speaker 2: Margo's Got Money Troubles.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't get mad at that one. One.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I think about the show. I think it's a great show. They're all very talented. But all I can see is all I can say is the actors, the actual actress performing.
Speaker 1: That's true. I mean, it's Nicole Kidman, it's El Fanning, It's.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's my Yeah, but I can't focus on the character. Everything everybody looks like, yeah, a movie star. It's true, all right.
Speaker 1: Comedy lead actress Quinta Brunson, Abbot Elementary, Aoa deb The Bear, El Fanning, Marcus, Got Money Troubles, Lisa Kudra, the Comeback, Jean Smart Hacks. You know what give us to Lisa Coudro. I know that character has been it's been two decades working on that character. Yeah, and yeah, it deserves the recognition. It's really really good work. And it would be nice to see someone other than Jean Smart win it. She's going to win, or Quinta Brunson, She's going to win Smart again, all right, I would hate that actually, and I love Jean Smart. She has snagged several many Emmys. Five I don't think it's that many. Comedy lead actor Yay Abdlomdine wonder Man, Steve Carell, Rooster, Matthew Reese Widow's Bay, Jason Siegel Shrinking, Martin Short only murders in the building. I really don't know how it doesn't go to Matthew. Yes, you, he was high, hilarious shows so so so fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Yes.
Speaker 1: Comedy Supporting actress Dale Dickey Widow's Bay, Hannah Einbinder Hacks, Jennelle James Abbott, Elementary, Katio Flynn or Kate O'Flynn widows Bay, Michelle fay for Marcus Cot money Troubles, Megan'stalter Hacks, Jessica Williams shrinking.
Speaker 2: How on earth can you put h Megan Stalter in the same case?
Speaker 1: Or Dale Dickey and Megan's Yeah, I'm sorry that. Listen. I don't get angry about her the way Lorenzo does. I think she has an appeal. I think she can be very funny. I think her appeal is more limited to like front facing camera video, you know, social media video. She was very funny in that Millia. You give her a script and a character to play, and I'm sorry she comes off not on the same level as the other actors, so to put, she's not an actress. Okay, she's a comic. I don't even mind that performance all that much, but I do not think that is an acting award level performance. And I think it's insulting to some of the other actors.
Speaker 2: Product of social media, and I'll stop at that.
Speaker 1: Personally, I think Katie o' flynn should Yeah, I keep saying Katie kat o flynn should be get widows, Bet should get them. I can't a sentence should win. But also Dale Dickey should win. I mean that that, you know, dead baby dead monologue.
Speaker 2: Dead baby, dead baby, dead baby. Come on, that was brilliant. Yes, that was hilarious, hilarious, So I'm happy.
Speaker 1: I just don't want Hannah Einbinder or Meganstallter to win this. I just don't.
Speaker 2: I hope it's Kate because every single episode she is phenomenal. She is hilarious.
Speaker 1: Okay, anyway, Yeah, Comedy supporting actor Coleman Domenico, the four seasons, Paul w Down's hacks, Harrison Ford's shrinking, Nick Offerman, Marco's Got Money trouble, Stephen root Widow's Bay, Michael Uri shrinking Tyler, James williams Abbot ELAMANSI.
Speaker 2: Again, Paul w Down, are you joking? He is not. He's a big nothing on the show. I'm sorry, he's a big nothing on the show.
Speaker 1: It's just I don't I'm not mad at those characters. I don't mind them. I just do not think he did anything that deserves an Emmy in terms of his acting. I know he's the show creator and everything, but in terms of that performance, I'm like, that's not an performance.
Speaker 2: They just pick people like listen. I adore Coleman Domingo. But the fourth season is a horrible show.
Speaker 1: Apparently the second season was better, better.
Speaker 2: But it's a horrible show.
Speaker 1: You know, so dated we're saying, but let's face it, it's going to Harrison Ford.
Speaker 2: I do oh, oh really, oh yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: Well, he did win already, didn't that's true. No, he won a Lifetime Achievement Award last year. Yeah, and you know he's Yeah, he's old. He's old, and he's a legend, so they'll.
Speaker 2: Probably get it for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I'm scrolling through, scrolling through, I don't know limited series lead TV movie lead actress Claire Dane's The Beast and Me, Sally Field, remarkably bright creatures, Carrie Mulligan, Beef, Sarah Pigeon love Story, Sarah Snook all her fault. I have no opinion on any of these.
Speaker 2: I think Sarah is gonna win because this love story, Sarah picion. I have to say, Kerry Mulligan was phenomena in.
Speaker 1: Beef was a big question. You don't think it's going to Sally Field. Maybe, yes, they're going to give it to Sally Field and Harrison Ford, just so they get those two legends.
Speaker 2: The Beast in Me was terrible. It wasn't good at all. So yeah, Beef, we didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't even finish it. I did not like it at all.
Speaker 2: I just didn't I like the performance, you know, individually. But yeah, this season wasn't Great.
Speaker 1: All Right, Limited Series TV movie lead actor Rizamed Bait, Jason Bateman, Bateman, Black Rabbit, Charlie Hannah, Monster, The Ed Guynes Story, Oscar, Isaac Beef, Matthew Reese, The Beast on me again. I don't have a Oscar.
Speaker 2: Is actually good. And Charlie he was good. Charlie Hunt he was good. I didn't like Monster, It's not my kind of show, but he was insanely good. Yeah, that's it. That's that those are my choice. Probably hate it's gonna win.
Speaker 1: I think that's gonna wrap it up. We're not going to get anything like best Reality competition program.
Speaker 2: Oh, supporting actress since we did the actor, there's dakotea of Fanny. You know you go.
Speaker 1: I don't have it in front of me. Oh, I thought I Limited Series TV movie, Supporting Actress. We'd actually didn't do supporting, but I guess we'll do that. Linda CARTERLINIY DT see the reason I haven't seen anything. Linda Carterolini dt F Saint Louis, Dakota Fanning all her Fault, Laurie Metcalfe metcalf Monster, The Ed guine Story, Joyce Sunday DTF Saint Louis hu Jung Yun Beef, Constant Zemmer love story I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Was very brief and and she she was all right. Linda CARLINI is very funny in DTF Saint Louis. I watched the whole thing. Highly recommend it. It's a weird show, but very good show.
Speaker 1: All right. Limited series TV movie supporting actor Jason Bateman dt F Saint Louis, Richard Got Halfman, David Harbor dt F Saint Louis, Richard Jenkins, dt F Saint Louis, Charles Milton, Beef, nick Offerman, Death by Light, Oh, nick Offerman. I loved him in Death by Like Me.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 1: He was so good in that.
Speaker 2: Again, Jason Bateman was great in DTF Saint Louis. Also the weirdest show I have watched in a long time. Half Man, but Richard God again, I don't know how you pronounce his name is. He's very good at it, but he's a weird My god, what a weird show. Yeah, really f stop show. But he was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that guy's got to work through his isshes. I think instead of getting budgets for TV shows anyway that can clude your thoughts on uh this year's Emmy nominations. Let's jump right into Little House. I have a lot of things I want to say right which I didn't think I would. So Netflix has dined a remake of Little House on the Prairie. I don't feel like I need to explain this, but in I knew it was an iconic, legendary pardon me television series in the nineteen seventies and nineteen eighties, and Gen X and baby boomers have some very very strong feelings about that that show, those characters. When the show was announced, I was like, Okay, I guess. I mean, I'm not opposed to them redoing it. The old show it debuted over fifty years ago, went off the air over forty years ago, and it really isn't in reruns any I mean that you can find it, but I don't think it's like part of the culture the way it once was.
Speaker 2: Right I Netflick announced and we put it on our site, and I was like, well, that's kind of exciting Sometimes a show I like, I don't mind having it redone. The only thing I will scream if they redo it is the sound of music. But that's the only movie no, no, but anything else, yeah, why not? So I saw we posted on our site the preview and all that, and I was like, yeah, that looks interesting because what I like about these remakes is that they have the money and the technology to do something great. Right, you know, it's gonna look better, it's going to look incredible, and the costumes and the people and everything. So I'm I always I'm always interested. And Netflick gave us the screeners way back. I can't even remember when. So I watched them a long time ago. I watched the whole thing a long time ago, and then all of a sudden we never heard about it anymore. I was like, why is the Netflix taking so long to drop this? And I was a little worried. I was like, it's that because it's not good. They're trying to fix it or something, because sometimes that happened. They dropped the screen iss so that people can watch it and give their opinion and they go back and fix it. But so I watched it a long time ago, and then Tom wanted to talk about it on the podcast. I was like, Oh, let me rewatch the whole thing. And I have to say my second watch, I love the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Here's what I want to say. Okay, first off, I don't have some sort of connection to the old show. I watched it and when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I loved it when I was a kid, but it's not something i've watched in the years since. In fact, last night I went and I found I watched an old episode just so I could have a point of comparison to this, because no, I don't have like, oh, I remember this one. I remember that. I mean, I remember the episode where Mary went blind or whatever, but I don't really.
Speaker 2: I was obsessed with the TV show, and that's my point of reference. I love those characters, loved everything about it.
Speaker 1: I mean I did, but I don't have strong You haven't watched that show in forty years.
Speaker 2: Since, but I watched all the time, many times.
Speaker 1: So I still remember my grandmother, who lived with us when I was a kid, saying that she would have kicked missus Olsen in the face. And my grandmother was not someone who spoke that way, but she has hate that family and anyway, so when I and also, and this might seem unusual for a boy for a man, but I read all the books and the reason I read all the books is because someone bought my one of my sisters a box set.
Speaker 2: And how many books, it's like, I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, seven or eight, and I was probably too old for them. I think these were bought for my younger sisters. But I was curious and no one was reading them, and I picked up the one about her husband the first before I picked up the other books. I think it's like the third book in the series, and it's about him growing up as a little boy on a farm. So to me, you know, that was my entry into it, and it was enjoyable, and I thought, all right, I'll read the rest of them, and I did. I read the entire series. Now again, I don't have strong memories of the series, the book series. I remembered tearing through them and finding them interesting enough, and it was a nice way to compare what you to what you saw on the TV show. I don't remember. Again, I was still young. I was no more than a young teenager. I don't remember having any revelation like, boy, these books are kind of racist or anything like that. That was something I had to learned about much later that that, you know, Laura Ingles Wilder and her daughter Rose Wilder Lane, who basically co wrote these books. First off, they had very problematic politics. They were both libertarians, they were both opposed to everything. Yeah, and part of the books, the books were written partially in response to that. There was a political component to how those books were written, and that component is that they largely they didn't completely fictionalize these accounts, but they cleaned them up, and they they wanted to tell a specific story of heart of family overcoming hardship all on its own without anybody's help a little, and also scary Indians and scary black people.
Speaker 2: Right. My understanding is that the first season of on Netflix, it's based on the third book because Laura was too young in the first and the second book, and they wanted to have her a little older. That's my understanding. I could be wrong. So there are eight books I just checked. Maybe because it just obviously it's already renewed for second season, maybe they'll do flashbacks and go back to the first and the second book.
Speaker 1: Well, and so we'll say, why don't we take a short break and we'll come back and get into the actual series and how we feel about it. We'll be right back. We're back talking about Little House on the Prairie. So I didn't go into this. I didn't go into this with much of anything. I didn't have a lot of thoughts about it, even though yes, I had a connection to the old TV show, I read the old books, but this was very, very long a time ago, and I would not count either one of those as formative experiences for me. There are TV shows from my childhood that are loom large in my memory, but Little House is simply not one of them. I I watched it, everybody watched it, but I just don't have a lot, see I. I didn't come into it with, well, they better do this and they better do that.
Speaker 2: Oh it was one of my favorite shows because I also like western So the whole thing was, you know, my thing. When I when Netflix announced the show, I was I was curious. I was like, all right, uh, how how are they going to do these stories without sounding to racist? Or are they going to approach this you know or the you know, how are they going to approach all these hot topics and the cast and all that, you know, how are they going to do it? So I was curious they couldn't just do the old version anymore.
Speaker 1: So here's my thing. It's not bad. Uh, It's a perfectly enjoyable family oriented drama. Uh, it's it's probably every once in a while I would get all up about some thing on the show, and then I realized I would pull back and go, you know, it really is meant for kids, Like this is a family drama. They are the lead character as a little girl. She is the entry character, the identification character. So yes, this show is in many ways meant for kids. So I have some complaints and criticism about it, but ultimately I would wind up describing a very different show. Here's my point. It's very pretty, and that is my main issue with it is that it is so pretty. And I did I went back to look at the old TV show because I was like, am I misremembering it? And the old TV show was fairly pretty as well. It was a very pretty vide. And when I say pretty, I mean there's a scene where thereby a creek the little girls and they're in white dresses with flower crowns, and I'm just like, Okay, everyone was filthy back then, Okay in that they were not, And I'm not suggesting they were rolling around in their filth. I mean, people wore clean clothes, people showered, you know, they didn't actually, but it's all white teeth and clean fingernails and shiny hair. And it was like that on the seventies TV show as well. So this is not a new complaint. But the show is very pretty. I mean, at one point there's like tablecloths and flowers in vases, and I'm like, these are pioneer people. They are living a subsistence level existence. There was a point in the first four or five episodes where I was and there's only eight episodes where I was like, well, hell are these people eating? What are they eating? Because they're not doing anything to put again food. And that would be a family of four on the prairie in eighteen seventy whatever every single day would be at to figure out what you're gonna eat that day, because you have to realize that the setup for there. They arrive in Independence, Kansas, they have nothing. They don't even have a house. They have a wagon with whatever they took with them. But he has to build a house and they have to figure out a subsistence, you know, some and the question of what they're eating. Isn't even answered until like the sixth or seventh episode, where suddenly a crop of corn springs up next to the house. We never saw him plant a single seed to you know, plow a field. Nothing. That work is backbreaking and it requires a team of people. But somehow he did that on all on his own in between episodes. Similarly, and this was actually when I enjoyed the series. I truly did, and I I don't think it's foolish to expect a certain level of realism as to the hardship of that life, even for a family drama for children. I think you can get into a little bit more of just how hard. There was a snow storm at one point, and they were all excited about the snow, and I'm like, no, no, these people would be freezing.
Speaker 2: They would worry about whether they were.
Speaker 1: Going to survive it. There's no insulation, there's no heater. I don't even think there was a fireplace in that cabin. They had like a stove. Oh no, wait, they did have a fireplace. Yes, he built that whole cabin with him and this other guy. And that's the other thing. And this is the problem when you have stories with children in them, and you want that story to take place over a long period of time. I mean they showed up, He built a house, she took an entire pregnancy to term, had a baby, They grew an entire crop, and those little girls did not age a day. They looked exactly the same as they did in the first episode. And I'm like, it's got to be a year and a half later they would And that's asking for a different show. I'm asking for a show where they show dirty fingernails, where they show people freezing to death, where they show people wondering where they're gonna eat next. See that's what happened to her men, and where they recast the young actresses, you know, so to show that time has pit. But that's not what they're going to do. And I can make peace with that. But the Christmas episode was the episode where Caroline gives birth, and I was like, come the f on, just a couple you know, she breathes, She's not even a scene of her pushing, there's nothing. She's just like, I'm nervous, my sisters aren't here. I've never done this before. And then you hear baby crying, and all I could think not to be brutal here because they're in a one room cabin in the snow, and I'm just like, okay, that that bed would be messy. And i mean there's like a little white curtain and I'm like, that curtain would be splashed. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: See, that's what happens when you watch a show with someone who went to film school.
Speaker 1: It's like, come on, she's a woman on the prayer, a pioneer woman giving birth. You cannot even kids can handle that, you know what. That would be a hard situation. That would be a bad situation. Didn't even have to see it. But oh and that was the other thing. Because it was Christmas Day, of course a bunch of people showed up. Because I'll get into this that they treat the prairie like it's suburban New Jersey or something like that. At one point, the the little girl, good Eagle, the Native American girl, she's going into town for something and the mother is like, okay, i'll pick you up later, and I'm like, an Indigenous woman in eighteen seventy would never have uttered that sentence. It's just not how i'll pick you up? What in her car.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Yes, So at Christmas Day, everybody shows up near hours after Caroline gave birth, and she is walking around, she's holding a dinner, she's sitting at a table. I'm like, that woman would not have left bed for like three days, are you kidding me? And she would not have had any visitors. People are coming in from a snowstorm to a newborn baby. And I realized that, you know, they didn't know things about germs and shit like that, but come on, and that's when they lose I told you I le to say about this show, and that's when they lose me. I'm like, I know it's a fantasy. I know it has to be prettified for people. I get it, But there you don't. I mean, you could at least acknowledge that giving birth in that situation is extremely dangerous and messy. You don't have to show everything but to completely gloss over it. Similarly, like, I realize we have to go with a fantasy here, and somehow he's feeding his family of four, but we need to see him planting. We need to see him doing some of that farming work, because even a city boy like me knows that is backbreaking work. That would take months, Like, you can't do that off camera. You have to acknowledge it, right. There was a scene, there was an episode where the whole family had fever, and you know, you're watching this episode and pardon me, I do want to acknowledge that the show does acknowledge that there's hardship here. You know, people get exposed to things. There's danger, there's wolves, and there's you know, all kinds of stuff. There's that the guy goes down to the bottom the well and he almost dies.
Speaker 2: But it's dealt with very quickly.
Speaker 1: It's all dealt with very quickly, very clean, it is. And the one where they all had the fever, I'm watching it and I'm thinking, well, no one in this cabin is going to die because they're all the they're the Ingles family. I know they're going to live. So all the drama goes out of that scene. And it made me realize, you know, and I think the old show did this. You can't kill off the Ingles family. You can't put them through too too much because they are the lead characters. Yes, Mary goes blind and I think Caroline loses a baby or whatever, but you can't have them go through too much because they're the leads. So in that instance, what you do, and like I said, I think the old show did this is you put other characters through shit to show how bad things could get. And that was the thing with that fever episode. I was like, you know, I need to see a cabin of dead people, right so that now I'm worried that this will happen to the Ingles, like they had that doctor going around and like they could have just had a scene where he comes upon a family and they all died, and then everything that's happening and the Ingles family cabin becomes that much more. And that's the thing. The show never wants to get to that point. It brings certain things up, but it never really engages with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry everyone. So here's where we bring up the indigenous question. The way the show, you know, focused on the Indigenous people, the way I mean the old show never did. The books were racist as hells during the Indigenous.
Speaker 2: I don't remember did they have did they have a black people in in the on the TV series? I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: Yes they did. True, and actually doctor Tanner is a real character from the books. There was a black doctor in an Independence.
Speaker 2: I see. I never read the books, but that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think it's interesting to introduce those characters.
Speaker 1: I think it's admirable. I think it's the correct choice. I think they there's no way to write that all like all the white people in Independence are stealing land from the Osage, and right, the original TV series as well as the books, never really acknowledged that. But this series, the entire season is that's the main question is how are we going to live with these people? And do we even have the right to live here? And are they going to stay or is the government going to force them out? So and I'm glad the show wrestled with these things, but in the end only one thing could happen, which is that the Osage all get forced out. And you have to somehow do that in a way that doesn't make the Engles family look like monsters, right, And they kind of flub it on that they.
Speaker 2: Introduced to subjects. But but you know, but it's very lightly like the whole thing when when two Native American men robbed them, robbed them and got into the cabin, you know, and did what they did.
Speaker 1: I mean, we know that's from the books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know historically that they you know, a lot more happened in those situations. But of course they're not going to do any any scene like that.
Speaker 1: But that is a scene from the books. And they didn't, you know, they didn't beat them or rape them. In the books. According to Laura, they came, they stole some things in the left and what the series does is they And that's actually a scene apparently in the pilot episode of the original series. They it's it's the men come into the cabin and steal things, but it's stayed out in this version because the men are given dialogue, right, and that dialogue is the two of them discussing how these white people have stolen everything from them, have hunted their meat, have chopped down their trees. And that's the admirable part here, is that they are giving voice to the o sage and they're not making it, you know, entirely about the white people's perspective. They also, I thought this was admirable, made Caroline a little racist. She gets over it very quickly, and she becomes this paragon of racial equality by the end of the season. And I did not find it believable at all. But I like that they at least allowed her to have that moment that felt like, all right, well, she sounds like a nineteenth century moment, and she sounds a little racist.
Speaker 2: A little hint there because when they ask who's the other students? Who else she's she's teaching and she doesn't say right, So that yeah.
Speaker 1: They also allowed the Charles at least early on in the story in the season. If you've ever read the books, or if you've ever actually, if you've read about them, and there have been books written about the Ingles family that weren't written by Laura Ingleswilder, he was a loser and he was an idiot, and he was a really irresponsible man who put his family through hell, and they bounced around from state to state to state, and he had crops fail and he had houses burned down, and he just wasn't a stable man. And the show wrestles with that a little bit. They first off, he makes some choices and like, what are you an idiot? Like? He makes some choices that seem a little reckless and everything, and the season, the story takes him to task more than once for not being honest with his family. His daughter takes him to task word his wife.
Speaker 2: Things from his wife.
Speaker 1: So they allow him to be they allow her to be a little racist and him to be a little stupid, but they really don't take it far they I mean, obviously they can't. You can't have lead characters that are dumb and racist. You have to sort of teach them a lesson. So everything sort of gets glossed, everything gets washed, and you know, so, yes, we're talking about the play to the Indigenous, we're talking about the os Age being forced out, but we're doing it in such a way so that Caroline and Charles feel bad, you know, and this is just anist, but they're still going to What I loved is how they ended it this season. Yes, because here's the thing. The Ingles family in the books bounced around all over the place. They you know, the the TV series in the seventies and eighties, it kept it was like nine or ten seasons of them living in one place, and that wasn't always the case with them. The books were all over the place. They moved at spoiler, the season ends with them leaving. And I didn't think they were going to do it, like literally right up until the end. I was like, they're not going to do it, They're not going to be bold enough to do it. But they did it because they introduced all these side characters, all these people in the town, and all of them are gone. Now that I do love. That's very true to the pioneer existence.
Speaker 2: I was very happy with that because I was like, I was kind of fall in love with those people in a way, and then we're not going to see They're not going to see them going to be introduced to a new group of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they So the season ends with them and they're supposedly heading to Walmut Grove, which is where the TV series was set, and they show the ols in general stores, so obviously they're going to have the Uls. I think they were already cast, but they can't wait.
Speaker 2: They can't wait to see them family.
Speaker 1: But it's it's a perfectly pleasant show. I think it's perfectly it's perfect for kids, like I would recommend this to anyone who your family, who if you want some family time, this is a good show. My criticisms are because I would have enjoyed a grittier, more realistic take on things, but that's clearly not what this show is meant to be, so taking it on its own terms, it's a pleasanter version. The men are hot.
Speaker 2: The men what I was like, what the hell?
Speaker 1: I don't remember all the men on the old show being this, But every time I turned around, well, you know why because they shot this in Canada, so it's all these hot Canadian actors, you know, playing like pioneer men. But yeah, there's a lot of really good looking looking yes, and that's it. That's our thoughts on Little House recommended, but only if you want light entertainment, if you're looking for pioneer life or anything like that, I'm sorry. It's not what I like in it. Too is the original nineteen eighty five Anne of green Gables. That's what it reminded me most of in terms of its esthetic. And I don't think that aesthetic works for this because Anti green Gables was not about pioneer people and subsistence living. It was about people who had a pretty nice life so you could pritify it. That was my issue with this version is that it's too too pretty. And the thing about the Anna green Gables connection, I think that was very deliberate. And in the episode where they have the fever. Laura has a hallucination where she sees her grandmother. And I watched that scene and I'm like, who is that woman? Because they really seemed to focus on the grandmother who came out of nowhere. And it turns out that's Megan Follows, who was Anna green Gables. I did not recognize her because forty some odd years had passed and she's old enough to play a grandmother now. But when I realized that was her and it was a cameo, she's uncredited in it, I was like, all right, so this is deliberate. You don't give someone like that a cameo unless you were making a statement about what kind of show you're making. And this, Yeah, she's kind of passing the torts from that show to this one. And that's fine. I would have liked, like I said, dirty fingernails and you know, dry hair.
Speaker 2: And blood splashed all over buring bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, damn it, bare lest. She couldn't scream a little bit, she couldn't make it. Oh my god, she's walking around in a dressing gown an hour later, taking people in and serving them. I don't know. Rabbit stew on.
Speaker 2: Christmas Day, Oh please, all.
Speaker 1: Right, another break and we'll be back and we'll wrap up by talking about game. I'm not Game of Thrones. House of the Dragon. We are back and we have three episodes of House of the Dragon to get through. We just talked about this while the mics were off, because you know, we went away on vacation. We have not We had to catch up on three episodes by last night. There's no way we can just recap all three. We would be here for another hour and a half.
Speaker 2: However, I have to say I really enjoyed them.
Speaker 1: I am enjoying this season quite a bit. My initial complains about this season are mostly dealt with, except for one, which I will get to. But the clarity of the writing is I'm very grateful for because it is very easy to keep track of what's going on. And when the season started, I was like, I have no idea, I can't remember. It's been eleven years since I watched an episode. But they're doing a very good job of bouncing around from location to location. And when Game of Thrones was really hitting, when it was on all cylinders, when it was at its best, this is what it was like. They sent characters off in all these different directions exactly, and you were able to follow along on each of their journeys.
Speaker 2: So I like kind of like Lord of the Rings too, you know, like the different stories going on at the same time, different parts of the planet very much.
Speaker 1: So one of the things. You know, it was a shock when the season great basically started with when you were taking the Throne. I did not think they were going to go directly to that. But by the end of last night's episode, I realized, you know, we are in the endgame here. There's only another season after this. There's only like really, yeah, there's only like I don't know, ten eleven episodes left to tell this story. And if I mean, I'm not I don't think I'm spoiling anything by suggect. If you've seen Game of Thrones, then you have to realize this story is going to end badly for almost everybody in the story. So we are heading towards the endgame, and I'm feeling that sense of doom, like, oh wow, this is not going to work out. What I like about Rhanira's reign is and you know, we can unpack this. In fact, this is something I think we should unpack rather than trying to recap the whole thing. There's a lot of discussion this season among critics that the show is doing a very good job, of course, correcting on the basically the Danaris story from Game of Thrones, which is largely considered they fucked up that story. They never got that character to the point where her going crazy made sense. Her heel turn at the in the final two episodes was considered poorly handled.
Speaker 2: Well, people are making the connection that this one is going crazy too. Well.
Speaker 1: That's my point is that I think a lot of a lot of critics are pointing out they are actually doing the Danera story correctly this time, right, and they So it's interesting to watch Rhaniera And I gotta say, Emma Darcy Man, holy shit, they are going to get nominated for this season, and I really really hope they win because the work they're doing, the subtlety of the work that they're doing as well as the more powerful still like when her son dies, you know, yeah, yeah, well I'm not getting into that again. The actor is non binary, but the.
Speaker 2: Character is well we do anyway.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Uh So I like that Rhinera is not a good queen.
Speaker 2: No, she's terrible.
Speaker 1: She's not good at it. And this is kind of what I want to unpack, Like when you look at the story of the Dance of the Dragons and the Song of Ice and Fire, Ultimately these stories come down to queen's in a patriarchal system. It was Seriously and Denaris and Sansa at the end of Game of Thrones all trying to exert power, and now it's Rhinia, and prior to her, it was Allison exerting their power, and the series, both series the franchise seems to be coming down on the you shouldn't let women rule because a bad at it, Like that's the story over and over and over again. Now obviously that's not what the story is saying. What the story is saying is that women are not able to rule in a patriarchal system. There are so many forces against them, and they are not And this is what I think is coming with Ryania. And what they didn't make clear enough with Deanaris is that maybe she deserves to rule, maybe she could have been a great queen, but literally nobody trained her. She has no training and she does not know what This was very true of Danaris, even though it wasn't as articulated with her, and it's much more articulated with right mirror, where you can see she does not know what the hell she's doing and no one trained her to do it. No, And she's very stubborn too, So there is stubborn. There's a lot of stubborn and there's a lot of pride there.
Speaker 2: And like the whole thing about the coronation, like it was just lady, people are dying, right, People are hungry out there. They're mad at you. Everybody's angry at you, and you want to, you know, have a celebration. So yeah, that kind of stuff. And nobody's guiding her there. Some are afraid of her, some don't care, some are rooting to that she fails. It's interesting. That dynamic is interesting. I think my favorite character actually is Alison. I think she she's evil, she's oldad, but she understands.
Speaker 1: I love Olivia Cook's performed. Yes, she understands. Alison is an asshole, right, but I do of her performance. Here's that's This was the criticism I had about the show going into the season, and I still have this criticism. I didn't read the books that this is based on, but I've read the summaries, and I know where the story goes, and I know what Martin's intention was for these characters. And Alison and Rainier are unquestionably bad people in the writing of these stories, and the show does not want to commit to that, and I guess the thinking is, well, we have to.
Speaker 2: Give them a little bit of a soul, Yeah, I guess, because like.
Speaker 1: So with Raniira, she's a bad queen, but it's because, oh, there's so many forces against her, and she doesn't know what she's doing. It's not because she's an evil bitch, but she kind of is an evil bitch. I'm sorry, I'm gonna I.
Speaker 2: Mean, the thing is with Alison, for example, I mean she's offering her kids to be slaughtered, you know, I mean, that's how evil she is. And right, but even that, they it's a whole yeah, yeah, yeah. She's so conflicted and she's so scared and she's just trying to protect Helene or whatever it is. And with right Nira, like her guards go out and they slaughter people because she told them to go out and handle the graffiti that was being written aboutter But it's presented like, oh, sir, Luther took her her you know, her orders too far, and she didn't mean it like they.
Speaker 1: Are actually saying no, no, She she there should be yes. She should be sitting on the throne saying I want these people dead, right because that's who that that character would make more sense.
Speaker 2: Right she and and you can tell that that's what she wants. I mean, she's she's evil. She makes to you know, she she wants him to do the thing she tells them to do. But I I don't know, it just feels like they're making again. It's it's pretty much every show I think in general. They want you to have both sides. They want you to have that person making evil comments. But at the same time, oh, she's questioning her decisions. She's questioning what she's gonna do or she's doing. And you can see that, I mean, like you can see those two ladies talking. For example.
Speaker 1: I apologize for that. We had to cut the mics because I was about to explode into a coughing fit into my microphone. It's fascinating. I am literally getting sicker over the course of this podcast. If you rewind to the beginning of it, I probably sound a lot better than I do right now, and I think we need to wrap this up because I'm getting sick. So yes, Ryanira, I would. I really think Emma's doing an amazing job. I like that the show has allowed this character to be a bad queen, although I do think it raises questions about does this story have an issue with women taking power? But I really wish they would make her evil. As you said, they kind of dance around it with Alison that she is obviously not a good mother, but they again it's all like, well, forces have made her. You know, she had to sleep with Vizaras and all of that's true. I'm not taking that away from it. But I really just wish they would let these two main characters be horrible, horrible people, because the story would actually make much more sense if they were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I mean it. It would make more the decisions would make more sense the and and you'd have a better point of view.
Speaker 1: I think, as I asked, the show struggles with trying to make both of them like heroines of a sort and like they're not heroines. Everything they've done from the beginning of the story has been awful.
Speaker 2: I mean, to be honest, everyone, everyone is horrible in this show, every single one of them.
Speaker 1: Ormond High Tower, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, I was not expecting that at all. Yeah, I thought he was just a not not necessarily psycho God's idea.
Speaker 1: The show was very good at doing these evil characters that you just want to want. You just want to watch that guy because he's crazy and evil, and of course.
Speaker 2: He's the costume James Norton looks amazing. The costume is point.
Speaker 1: Right near her and and Alison are not given that opportunity to be these raging bitches, like seriously, was like that, Like she was the most hated character on the old show, but people also loved her.
Speaker 2: Oh the Ormond called called her a bitch with with a bit with a dragon, a bitch with a dragon.
Speaker 1: But yes, that's my point. He's great. He's one of the best new things about the series. Also still loving Alice Rivers the Witch's phenomenon. She love her and they actually had her doing some like slightly magical stuff.
Speaker 2: Do you think she's an actual goat or she turns into a goat?
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe, but they are letting her. They don't. They don't use magic all that much in these in these stories. Uh, they're very you know, circumspect about how they use it. But I'm glad that they let her be a little magical in this one. All right, who else Baila and her uncle look like they're about to get together.
Speaker 2: I think the whole thing with is that Raina and the dragon when when Damon found her, you know, yeah, that was a really good that was an interesting thing. I don't know, he became too fatherly.
Speaker 1: He had no relationship, he had no relation with her.
Speaker 2: And he's a horrible person, so that was a little too sweet for me. I agree, But again, you know, she I'm curious. I mean, apparently there's more to it that that's gonna happen with her and the dragon outle death, So I'm curious about that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, there's so much that happened in the last three episodes that I am I I'm trying to pick and choose what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: I do think the whole thing with Corlis and and the fact that you know, yeah, well she pissed him off again.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's so conflicted and she doesn't want to know. Just let her be a bit like she's not gonna do it because she's a hypocrite and a bit Yeah, and she mistreats her allies.
Speaker 2: I do like that he pointed that out, that pointed out that her kids are all bastard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she's so conflicted and she feels bad and no, no, just let her be a bad character. The show works better when she is, and I think that's why I'm enjoying this revelation that she's not good at her job.
Speaker 2: I also saw the scene with the rat banquet was also interesting.
Speaker 1: It was I saw that coming a million miles away, but yes, it was. And I mean, but again, it's like, well that was kind of crazy ast thing to do, but you know it's crazy she's but it's justified because those people and the people are starving in the streets, and she cares about the small folk and they're trying to do way too much of that stuff.
Speaker 2: I think she I don't think she cares at all. I mean, that's my point of these. Either the show wants you the show wants you to be questioning that, But to me, it's very clear. She is very manipulative. You know, she forces people to do things, and then.
Speaker 1: She she's ungrateful all the white She's basically imprisoning off in the red Keep. He's not allowed to go out to saloons or taverns anymore. So they're getting there, but they're still like an they're gonna do like a denarous moment where she just snaps and finally goes. And you could have just made her an asshole from the beginning, like you toyed with this, and you could have made her a villain from the beginning. Same thing with Allison. I think the story is much more engrossing when these two villainous women are at the center of it. But they wanted to tell a story about the patriarchy, and I get it. I'm not opposed to it, but it removes a lot of the teeth from the story.
Speaker 2: I thought also that she believed very quickly that that skull was the was the person who killed her her son.
Speaker 1: I mean to me that what else is she supposed to believe? You know?
Speaker 2: But I wish we had a scene where she questioned a little bit more, or you know, went too quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure that's going to play out late. I'm sure we're not done with that.
Speaker 2: I also like the whole thing with Alison and what's her name, Miss Mercer, miss Aria. Sorry, yeah, I think that was interesting that they might I don't know, join forces.
Speaker 1: I wish I could say I like that actress, but I don't think she's good in that role at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just don't think she is. I've seen her in other things, but you have. She was in Crazy Rich Asians Rights The Bride, Oh my god, yes, yeah, but I just didn't like her. I just don't like her in this. I don't think she's very believable. But yeah, we'll see. Right now, Allison just trapped in a secret passageway with her daughter, so who knows if she's getting out of there.
Speaker 2: And I also like the whole thing with the actual king, you know, Egon? Right?
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, I do like and Amon is actually really great. Yes, uh, first off that I kind of love Agon right now, he's even though he's well, this is my point, he's an asshole, but you can enjoy watching it.
Speaker 2: It's behaving like an asshole. This is spoiled.
Speaker 1: They need to let right Near and Alison be assholes because Egan and Amon are and even uh, what's Matt Smith's characters name?
Speaker 2: Right Near?
Speaker 1: And oh Damon is it, Damon, Yeah, they're all assholes. They let Amen be horrible assholes, and they're some of the best characters on the show anyway. Yes, Egon and Laris the strong and their various struggles. I don't think his together. I don't think his dragon is dead. No, I mean they're making it. They're hinting very strong.
Speaker 2: Oh spoiler, he's not.
Speaker 1: You probably shouldn't have said that.
Speaker 2: Well, it's in the books anyway, right, well, we're not talking about them, but anyway, and also they might not go with that, but apparently the dragon is not dead. All right.
Speaker 1: Don't yell at me, everyone yell at Lorenzo.
Speaker 2: He just by watching a bunch of.
Speaker 1: Let's get all these mics before we do anything, before I hack into them or you give anything else away? Do you have anything else you want to say about the show?
Speaker 2: No, I'm actually enjoying it. It's actually enjoyable now without having read the books, i'd say, you know, like in the beginning, I was like, oh my god, do I need to read the books because I have no idea what's going on. But it's getting better at explaining things. I do think the Extors in general are doing a very good job. I think so, And it still feels like, yeah, an interesting show, and with things happening, and and you always you know, there are certain things that I think they do a very good job. And the cinematography is beautiful, costumes are like lighting, and all that I enjoyed very good.
Speaker 1: I don't think I have anything else left to say. I think we have beaten us one today. Yes, all right, so we'll be back next week with I don't even know what we're talking about. Next week, we'll find out whatever crosses ours across our desk. Until then, take care of yourselves, love you mean it. Bye bye,