Speaker 1: Found dead on the beach. Police say she died of suicide, but her family thinks someone out there knows what happened. What do you do when in your heart you don't believe your daughter could take her own life, but investigators won't listen and facts are more than mysterious. Today we're covering the Scottish case of Annie Boyesen. Good morning. The following podcast cemeterial for a mature audience listener, just question that much.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Nicol, I'm Ben, and you are listening to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcast. Welcome, what's up?
Speaker 2: We're here and I'm falling asleep.
Speaker 1: Ben is so freakin tired that I don't even know if he's going to make it through this podcast.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I don't know what's with me today, but I'm just like I could curl up in a ball for about a week.
Speaker 1: You're literally a bump on a log right now.
Speaker 2: Pretty much pretty much. But I'm going to survive through this. I think I got it.
Speaker 1: You're going to just have to You're going to just do it.
Speaker 2: Well, then tell me a story and keep me awake.
Speaker 1: Well, something exciting is that it's Rumen eggnog season.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that is exciting.
Speaker 1: That is freaking a good season.
Speaker 2: You made me my first Rummen eggnog yesterday, which was delicious.
Speaker 1: And I went through a phase I remember where I didn't drink eggnog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you thought eggnog was like horrendous and I was like that was that? What the fuck?
Speaker 1: I feel like I might have gotten ill or something, maybe drank a bunch and then got sick like a flu or something. And then yeah, but then.
Speaker 2: I was like, no, you need to add rum to it, like, oh, I can hop on this.
Speaker 1: Bandwagon's actually good because yeah, I was doing almond old, which is just not the same. It's not the same. No, I'm sorry for all you dairy intolerance people. I apologize, okay, And we have to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving in the US.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a little bit behind now, we're late, but happy related Thanksgiving, Yeah to all our our Southern brethren down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then it was Black Friday and it's Cyber Monday, and I just looked and I have a serious problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah you do.
Speaker 1: I apparently am subscribed to so many things that I got fucking like one hundred and twenty five emails today on Cyber Monday, which is a problem.
Speaker 2: That is a serious problem, And honestly, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Surprised that is a problem.
Speaker 2: You need to fix that. You got some unsubscribing to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm going to be doing after this podcast, because that actually makes me like slightly ill.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And I didn't even buy anything today, so it's not like I need any of those.
Speaker 2: I bought something today.
Speaker 1: I bought stuff on Black Friday, but I didn't today.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't buy Black Friday stuff. I did buy one thing today.
Speaker 1: What did you buy?
Speaker 2: A teeny tiny point setup?
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll actually have to boast a photo because we have like last year we had a mini Christmas tree just on our counter, and this year we up leveled and I have also have a mini Christmas tree and a mini point set it and it's the cutest thing I've ever seen in my whole life.
Speaker 2: It's like the most tiny home appropriate decorations I have ever seen.
Speaker 1: It actually is. It makes me so happy, so happy.
Speaker 2: We're getting festive up in this beach.
Speaker 1: That's gotta wake your ass up getting festive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, as long as Mariah Carey doesn't like boot me in the back. I think I'll slowly wake up.
Speaker 1: Oh man, But then that would just be like I'd pay money to see that Mariah Carey kick me in the back things. Yeah, that would be such a sight.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: All right, okay, we have one more topic to discuss.
Speaker 2: What's that one? More?
Speaker 1: You can? You can? You can start this one.
Speaker 2: I don't even know the time. You've got the notes today?
Speaker 1: The Wicked Box, the Wicked Boxes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we did a giveaway a couple of months ago on the Wicked Box. We've put together some cool stuff, you know, a little box and did a giveaway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was quite a giveaway, epic.
Speaker 2: Treasure hunt thing. We're doing it again, not just yet. We're looking for around Christmas time. We're going to have two that we're going to give away this time.
Speaker 1: Yes, we've ordered some supplies for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and as of right now, we have absolutely no idea how we're going to give them away, So we got to start planning that out too. I don't know if we're going to go it was quite in depth as we did before.
Speaker 1: That's what I was just going to say. Should we go in depth or should we just like, you know, make it a bit easier.
Speaker 2: We'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: We could do one of each or something. We'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 2: But yeah, just want to let you guys know what that's coming down the pipe. You ordered some stuff for it the other day, and it's going to be pretty dope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exciting. I mean everyone was pretty pumped. It was a cool box. It was filled with stuff i'd want.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, who wouldn't want a wicked box? It sounds pretty wicked to.
Speaker 1: Me, sound dope?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What are you out for a case for us? Today?
Speaker 1: Okay, so today we're talking about the mysterious death of Annie Boyesen, and I hope I am saying that right. I apologize to Annie if I'm not, but I'm not Swedish and I did look it up and that that's how I'm going to say it in my my Canadian American accent.
Speaker 2: You're Canadian and American.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I am?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean we technically are North American.
Speaker 1: Sorry, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just American has been the adopted nickname for the United States, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, so and a mysterious one. It is like, wow, wow, wow, Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, I do know a little bit about this case because I almost did it at one point.
Speaker 1: You did, actually, and then I stole it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for that. Sorry, but it's a good one. So I'm going to buckle up my proverbial seat belt here and uh click, I'm ready to go. Okay, I'm buckled in.
Speaker 1: So it's one of those stories that's going to stick with you. Every time something happens, it just leaves you feeling like there's no way they could get any stranger, yet it does.
Speaker 2: Can you say it one more time? Just really relaxed that any time was real, like abrupt jump in okay. So just you're talking to me and you're just like, oh, okay, yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So every time something happens in this case, it just leaves you feeling like there's no way things could get stranger, yet it does.
Speaker 2: It does. Interesting.
Speaker 1: It's wild. It's bizarre.
Speaker 2: No, some of the stuff I do know about it, it is wild. It is bizarre. Yeah, I have a feeling there's gonna be a lot more to it that that's gonna blow my mind. I'm excited for this one.
Speaker 1: I think you'll learn some things. So Annie was born in Sweden in nineteen seventy five. She was half Hungarian. At five foot eight, she had an athletic build and was a Swedish beauty. So she had blonde hair and blue eyes.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can, like quite literally like picture her picture in my mind. Actually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even before I had picked and researched this case, like I had recognized her photo too.
Speaker 2: Oh you have seen her photo?
Speaker 1: I have? Yeah, Okay, So I mean I think it's like a fairly well known case, really it is.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty big one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, so she seemed to be an absolutely incredible person as well. She played in a band. She loved nature and being outdoors and absolutely loved Rugby. Also, something that's super impressive in my books, she spoke a total five different languages.
Speaker 2: That is boss vibes right there. Yeah, holy shit, I can barely speak English.
Speaker 1: I know. I feel like around here we can barely speak one language. So I'm just like in awe. It's actually my buck list one day to learn a second language, though, I think I would like to try that.
Speaker 2: Which language would you learn?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'd have to pick one because I'd want to pick one and then go to that area and like, you know, practice it. But I mean they would probably be like wow, well, I mean.
Speaker 2: Of course if it's not your native language, it's not you can just come up and roll out and be like, yo, I'm doing this flawlessly for the first time ever. It's not the expectation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sometimes I think like Spanish, but then I'm like, maybe something different. I don't know what about you Japanese Okay, I was thinking you're going to say that, but I want to Japanese really.
Speaker 2: Hey, huh, well, I mean I did. I did martial arts as a kid, right, so there was that Japanese kind of culture behind the martial arts. And then I'm a big, like anime fan, I want to go to Japan one day, and it's just yeah, it's Japanese wholeheartedly. Boom done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would love to go to Japan too, Okay. So another big passion for Annie was Scotland. She spent a lot of time in Scotland in two thousand and four and absolutely fell in love with the country. That is also a place we would like to visit.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: She immersed herself in the country and got to know the people, in the culture and also the countryside through her many long hikes around historical sites.
Speaker 2: Jealous, I want to do that.
Speaker 1: I know well you have like Scottish in yea a little bit right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Freedom?
Speaker 1: No, sorry, but Annie had. She had a tough time being able to get a permanent residency permit and had to leave Scotland in August of two thousand and four. Annie didn't give up, though, she knew without a doubt where she wanted to be, and she went back and forth between Scotland and Sweden a few times before she finally landed back in Scotland for good the next year in two thousand and five, she made a home for herself in Edinburgh, and all that stood between her and knowing for sure that she could stay in the place that she had fallen in love was, of course, finding a job.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry. I'm a little bit distracted because my parents had gone to Scotland before and they I know it.
Speaker 1: Because I was like, did I say something wrong?
Speaker 2: No, it's the way you said Edinburgh, and I'm trying to think they said that they could the people there at the locals knew that they were Canadian because the way they said Edinburgh and I'm trying to remember if it's because anyone from the state says Edinburgh. I'm trying to I don't know sure if to get it backwards.
Speaker 1: I did listen to something. I can't remember what they said, but yeah, there was different, different and wrong ways to pronounce it, and I think it was Edinburgh Borough or Edinburgh. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I believe Edinburgh is the correct way to say it.
Speaker 1: There was two correct ways to say Is there two?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: From what I saw anyway, But well, shit, anyone.
Speaker 2: Who's from Scotland or knows, we need to know what's the correct way. What's the correct pronunciation? Is it Edinburgh? Edinburgh? What is it? Are we just way off base here.
Speaker 1: And way off who knows?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure it's Edinburgh.
Speaker 1: Okay. So back to Annie. She needed to find a job, right, you got to make that chetta chetta cheese. Annie kept at it, trying everywhere she could to find that last missing piece of the puzzle. But there's only so many hours of the day that you can dedicate to jaw hunting, fair enough, and Annie wanted to make the most of every minute she had. I think we can all vouch basically how was Austin. Job hunting is like it actually kind of sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's sure. It's like one of the worst things ever.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's it's horrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I could literally have a billboard with three four different job options in front of me and I'd be like, oh, I haven't found any jobs today.
Speaker 1: I do think writing the cover well, no, it's all just shit. Never mind, I was gonna say that writing the cover letter is the worst, but also, like, the interview is pretty horrific too.
Speaker 2: I honest, interviews are fucking bullshit for the most part. They ask you the most ridiculous questions that don't pertain to the job usually and don't mean anything. People usually know what you're trying to ask them, so I'll just give you a false answer anyways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, if you're good at thinking, I'm like on your feet like that. Yeah, So why don't listen to Ben's advice?
Speaker 2: There's good things about interviews, don't get me wrong. You can definitely get a feel for a person, but it can be someone can totally manipulate that whole system as well. Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then there's some people who are just really nervous and stuff, so their true colors won't be shining through right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so for the time being, she was able to collect unemployment from Sweden though, which she gave her a bit of breathing room in her new life. And when she wasn't busy looking for a job, you could usually find Annie in one of her many favorite spots, which were outside in the countryside where she did all those long hikes around local historical sites and landmarks. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, I thought that was like a cafe or something at first, one of her favorite spots outside on the countryside. It sounds like a cafe name or something.
Speaker 1: Or like a little cottage.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know what I mean. Yeah, it took me a second to realize. Oh, like, no, literally in the countryside.
Speaker 1: Or you could find her at the swimming hall where she regularly swam to keep herself fit, or at the local rugby club. Annie had a really big passion for rugby, and spending time at the club gave her the opportunity to have a drink, unwind and make friends with the locals.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: I like that. She kind of seemed like she just like immersed herself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she wasn't afraid to kind of go to those yees.
Speaker 1: And I really like that. So and this tactic actually quickly paid off for her. Was kind and friendly, and before she knew it, she was getting invited to all sorts of events and parties and was making all sorts of new friends, even though she'd only been back in the country for a few months. Good for her, Good for Annie. Some you know, the grass ain't always greener though. Of course, here we go.
Speaker 2: Here's where the tables turn my how the turntables?
Speaker 1: I know, and I'm always like hesitant. I'm like, this sounds so nice, but we got to go to a dark place. So something wasn't quite right though, and her friends and family were starting to pick up on it. She started to sound a bit troubled in phone conversations, saying she had to take care of something, had a decision to make that might be life changing.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: On Thursday, December one, first, she had a conversation with her mother, who shared that her family was, you know, a bit worried and growing concerned about her, to which she responded, You'll have to respect this, but I have to take care of myself. That same night, Annie made a call to one of her friends in Sweden, telling her that she was heading out to a party later that night. She didn't give her a lot of detail other than she was really looking forward to it. They chit chatted for a little bit before Annie said that she had to go go so that she could get ready for the party, and the two hung up. But no witnesses ever came forward in regards to this party, and that was the last time Annie's friend or her family ever heard from her.
Speaker 2: So there's no witnesses to come forward from party to saying she was.
Speaker 1: There, there was even a party, or that it ever happened.
Speaker 2: Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 1: So unless no one just came forward but you heard someone would I don't know so. Because on December or sorry, Sunday, December fourth, a man out walking his dog on a beach in the Preswick Bay found the body of a thirty year old woman, that woman being Annie. The police rushed to the scene to investigate, but it was quickly determined by them that Annie had committed suicide.
Speaker 2: I have a really bad joke you want to make.
Speaker 1: I don't think we should make a joke.
Speaker 2: No, I know, that's the thing. It's like, all respect to Annie, but I also at the same time do hope that the police kind of ran up to your and was like Annie, are you okay?
Speaker 1: Oh are you okay? Sorry, Okay, that's not as bad and it's about you, okay, yeah, Actually all poor Annie. I feel so bad for her, I know. So after they went through the steps of identifying the body as being Annie, family back in Sweden got the call that their beloved daughter Annie was gone. That right there, to me, is like almost a reason to just never have kids, because I couldn't imagine what kind of of like loss that feels to you.
Speaker 2: Having your child, Like get that phone call that you're, holy shit passed away.
Speaker 1: I just couldn't imagine.
Speaker 2: It's like take a night, carve out your heart and stomach.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow yeah, but I mean, what's the saying, better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?
Speaker 2: Oh shit, you're getting deep on us.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I mean someone actually said that quote to me the other day. So that's why I was remembered it because I was just like, God, like our animals even worth it, because like, I'm still pretty upset about Mika, right and so, and now we have rippling and I'm like God, I'm gonna have to do this again, like, is it even worth it? But it's totally worth it because to not love is that's not a life.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not so so.
Speaker 1: A loss and a sudden one, as in the case of Annie, are always a shock. But Annie's deemed suicide sent her family and friends into a huge state of disbelief, so much so that they actually called the police right away and told them that there was no way that Annie could have committed suicide. The police, however, disagreed.
Speaker 2: I'm curious on these details.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of details. This is. Yeah, I don't even know where I am in this case right now, but we're just getting started. So when investigators examined the scene and Annie's body on that cold December morning, they found everything they needed to rule it a suicide. In their opinion, She allegedly looked as though she had drowned and her body was covered in sand and seaweed, telling investigators that she died at sea. She had an unexplained depression in the skin, small areas of bruising to the right temple, scratched abrasion on the left arm, and two patterned, roughly square contoosed areas on the right arm. This is kind of like coming from the autopsy, okay, but police believed these minor injuries suggested that she had been hit by things in the water and her body was dragged across the beach in the tide, which I mean it could be.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering. I'm not too sure on how like the science of the body is, but I'm not so non postpartem bruising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could tell the thing is like you could tell if they were.
Speaker 2: Happened after Yeah, I know someone would be able to tell.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm also really leary about someone committing suicide by drowning, not to say doesn't happen usually if it's a water suicide, it's jumping off of something into the water and it's the impact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and so was there and then you think there'd be.
Speaker 2: A Marx Yeah, oh yeah. No. Once you jump at water from a certain height, it's like you're hitting concrete. You'd be breaking bones and shit. Was there a location around, you know, that would have been of heights that someone could have jumped off for suicide in a scenario like this.
Speaker 1: Not that I exactly know about, but I do mention here later the investigator stuck to their theory that Annie had committed suicide either by jumping off a cliff or walking out into sea and drowning, and they simply close the case.
Speaker 2: I can't see someone who went swimming for recreation to walk out to sea to drown. I can see someone, yeah, does not have swimming skills to do that.
Speaker 1: Because that's one thing, yeah, and the other. Okay, I'm going to be kind of going back and forth here because we're jumping ahead. But she had like her belongings were very close to her body.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So like the fact that she says she jumped off a cliff, like there's no way that everything would just end up kind of in the same place.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to go back to that swimming theory if you don't mind, sure, Okay. So there was an interview I watched off someone who survived jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge, like the odds are stupid thin of that survival happening. And he said the moment he let go, he regretted it. He regretted jumping, but he survived. And anyone who survived something like that, they regret it the second.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people do yes, like hangings and yeah, and they can't, they can't fix what happened. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I can't see someone with swimming skills going out into the water just wading out from the beach purposely drowning themselves, because your reaction, potentially regret instincts, would cause you to start swimming to the surface and save yourself. I think the only way that primarily the only way that would be a suicidal option is if someone doesn't have the skills to save themselves and they're in too deep and they can't it's too late to turn back.
Speaker 1: But the other thing is the water would be hella cold too, but still you'd probably have the opportunity to swim back, yeah and save yourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean up here in Canada, we swim in hell of cold water. Lots. Yeah, Like people do the polar bear dip. They jump in cold water and they turn around and swim back, no problem.
Speaker 1: I've always wanted to do that too, but I hate being cold, So I just don't think it's gonna happen for anyone curious.
Speaker 2: In the polar bear dip. That's literally they cut holes in in winter and you jump in and.
Speaker 1: Lots of times it's on New Year's Day, like January first, it's like how you're ringing in your new year.
Speaker 2: Yeah that so it's like minus thirty three celsius in the air, So not cool. Anyways, that's my rant on why I think she did not wade into the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we'll see what you think at the end of what happened here. Like, there's quite a few things. So one thing that I'm just backing up a little bit. She had an uncast check for three hundred pounds on her and most of her longing belongings, like I was saying, were either found on her or in her backpack, which had been washed up only a few meters away from her body, suggesting that this wasn't a robbery gone wrong, but also suggesting it probably wasn't her jumping off a cliff and all her belongings just magically landing next to each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they would have probably been still at the top of the cliff. Yeah, she would have taken them off, put them there or something, or they would have been just scattered out in the water. Yeah, one of the two exactly, or left at her apartment or who knows where.
Speaker 1: Okay, so because the investigators pretty much deemed that this was a suicide, like right off the get go, really right, They did not call a forensic team to the scene, they didn't few witnesses, and they just left it at that. So there was a lot of things that they probably should have done or should have collected or but in their mind it's like they arrived and they just were like, she committed suicide.
Speaker 2: See, an investigation should be issued to detern in something like a.
Speaker 1: Suicide, regardless of how obvious it looks, because I mean lots of times, as we know, people are setting up other people or yeah, or what right, Like, there's.
Speaker 2: That's the purpose of an investigation, right to find answers, especially when.
Speaker 1: The family is just so adamant too. But I mean, if they didn't collect things right off the bat, they before the family was even notified, like what are they going to do? Yeah, But Annie's family, in their gut, like I've been saying, did not believe Annie would commit suicide, and they couldn't shake the feeling that there was something else going on. They knew that Annie had planned on coming back to Sweden pretty close to the date that she had been discovered. She actually already had an appointment with her hairdresser for the following Monday, and it was sad or Sunday when she was found. Okay, so like Monday, she had plans to get her hair done in a Sweden.
Speaker 2: Huh, it doesn't sound like someone who's buck made suicide.
Speaker 1: And she was found with books in her backpack that needed to be returned to a library in Sweden, and she had paid her rent. So none of that was consistent with someone who had planned on taking their own lives or on their own life. And they told the investigators just that. Yeah, But when they realized that Scottish police weren't going to look into Any's case any further, her family and friends back in Sweden began looking into anything and everything that they could find to help explain what happened to her, and they had a pretty good idea of where to start. So just to briefly touch on that, though, I think it can often be a shock when a loved one does take their own life, and it's not often expected, right, But then on the other hand, when you have a gut feeling you need to listen. You do need to listen to that, and they found many things that would question whether Annie actually committed suicide or not. And that's what I'm going to start touching on.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's hear it. I'm curious.
Speaker 1: So in the week leading up to her death, Annie had complained about meeting someone at the local rugby club who had rubbed her kind of the wrong way. She'd only met him a few times, but after each encounter, she'd later be on the phone, either talking to her parents or her friends about this guy who just didn't want to seem to like take the hint that she wasn't interested, gotcha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of those guys.
Speaker 1: One of those guys.
Speaker 3: Persistence sometimes that does it pays off, but you have to do it in not a creepy ass way. Yeah, there's a right and a wrong way to have persistence.
Speaker 2: There you go, that's perfect way of putting it.
Speaker 1: So the guy was Martin Leslie, a pretty prominent ru ugby player from New Zealand who was in scott who was in Scotland to play a match with Hotland. Like you said that, I know, I actually pronounced that really weird, But Scotland Scotland. I just changed the name of Scotland. Sorry. Some people probably announce it like that potent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, with everything we know about Annie, chances are she would have initially been really stoked that a professional rugby player wanted to buy her a drink, like she had a type, and like a rugby player would have been her type.
Speaker 2: Fair enough. Yeah, I mean honestly, if a professional rugby player wanted to buy me a drink, I'd be like, dude, I mean, no, homo, but let's do this thing.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. You'd be like, yeah, let's chat. Yeah, let's hear your life story.
Speaker 2: I mean I might be like, you know what, no, homo, but I'll try anything once. So who knows?
Speaker 1: Wow, says the married man.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, I got nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right here.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: But that excitement changed relatively quickly to her trying to avoid Martin. She had told family and friends on the phone that he was really pushy and he kept trying to get her to drink, even when she told him that she didn't want to and made it clear that she wasn't even interested in him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he sounds like a douche canoe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he seemed to be somewhat stalking at oh because she would run into him. Around town, including the swimming hall one time when she was there like to work out, but she had never seen him there previously. Annie ended up telling her friend later that this guy was nothing but a sexual predator, which are pretty big ass words, no kidding, So she didn't knock at a good vibe from this guy.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right.
Speaker 1: These phone calls were among the first things that popped into Annie's family in friends' heads when Annie was discovered dead.
Speaker 2: To be fair, if I may, yeah, of course there it could have very well been coincidence. Maybe he was just, hey, I need to work on my cardio on it she starts swimming.
Speaker 1: Because he is from New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, So maybe it could very well be coincidence. Yeah, And maybe her perception of him is that he's a sexual predator. But where she's getting she's going off her gut. Maybe he's just trying to be nice, trying to be persistent, but he's just coming off creepy who knows.
Speaker 1: Right, which some people do come across creepy, yeah, meaning.
Speaker 2: To be I'm not saying he wasn't a sexual predator. I'm just saying we don't know for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, and I'm not throwing this guy's name like what we.
Speaker 2: Eat to the ground, bagging his name in the mud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, because I'll will just just wait, okay, okay. So they the family notified the Scottish police, telling them to look into Martin Leslie and saying that he could have had something to do with Annie's death and that he may have been stalking her, and the place did agree to like look into this. They went about asking in the places where Annie usually spent her time, especially the rugby club, looking for Martin Leslie, but they hit dead end after dead end until they decided that enough was enough and reached out to him through the contacts on his rugby team and their PR team in New Zealand. In almost minutes, investigators in Scotland were in contact with Martin, who simply shook his head and said that he was in New Zealand at the time he was allegedly stalking Annie. Oh, the investigators were able to confirm with his team that Martin had been with them this whole time and he was cleared of any suspicion. But this only left Annie's family and friends even more confused.
Speaker 2: So who was this douche canoe? Yeah, so he's just claiming to be this dude basically. Okay, I'm betting that he was. Whoever this is was already eyeing up Annie prior to learned her type and approached her after weeks of already watching her.
Speaker 1: I think so too. Yeah, yeah, which I mean, so I guess she didn't actually know what he looked like or anything.
Speaker 2: What year was this?
Speaker 1: Around two thousand and five?
Speaker 2: Okay, so pre most social media?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean here, just wait, so I'm going to touch on this a little bit. Here. They were all certain that Annie had spoken about meeting him. He'd given her details about his life, his family, and his career that all checked out with information that did fit the real Martin Leslie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, there still was Internet at this time, it just wasn't yeah prevalent.
Speaker 1: Right, So this person had like research. He was probably a fan of Martin Leslie and Shelby, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it wouldn't be that hard to do a Google search and figure out who he was. And he knew that she was into rugby players, looked up who it was. Maybe he was a fan and knew exactly who he pick. But his research was like that's who I'm going to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah for her, which is y as fuck.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So, according to the official timelines, there was no way that Martin and Annie could have ever met, especially in Scotland. Scotland the assumed week in Scotland, I keep saying that funny. Hey, it wasn't that bad that time. Scotland.
Speaker 2: It's like Newfoundland in Canada, it's Newfoundland, but if you actually read it, it's new found Land.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but we say it Newfoundland.
Speaker 1: English is weird. See anyone that has to learn English, I feel like it's just like fucked fucked. It's because like there are literally things said the same way but spelt differently. Oh yeah, Like it could be spelt three ways differently, but it's said the same Yeah.
Speaker 2: Where are they there over there?
Speaker 1: And then you have to use them in different contexts like there yeah, Oh my gosh. Anyway, now that's making me sweat.
Speaker 2: Okay, I who ever has to learn our shitty language, we are sorry. It's a whole fucking gong.
Speaker 1: Show, it actually is. So Annie's family and friends were then left wondering if someone was lying or if there was maybe something else going on, and they became even more determined to get to the bottom of the story. Like gosh, I couldn't even imagine from across the seas they They all did their best to try and collect all the information they could about Annie's final days, but more often than not, they ended up hitting roadblocks and not in the places you'd usually expect to find them in any investigation, like the road Yeah, because a roadblock A roadblock.
Speaker 2: Sorry, bad pun.
Speaker 1: That was a bad pun. I was like, I don't even know how to like make this seem funnier. Sorry, that was what was going on in my head. How do I make Ben's bad jokes seem funnier?
Speaker 2: You just like cringed at me mid podcast. Love it?
Speaker 1: Oh love you, babe, Love you too, Okay. So, hoping to prove and verify some of the calls Annie had made to them to talk about her life and the now unidentified man she met just the week before her death, her family reached out to her phone provider to get the information on her call history, but they got nothing. Instead. When they looked at the list to people that Annie had been in contact with that week, every single one of their names was missing, which simply didn't make any sense from her phone. Yeah, there was no record of phone calls White. This was through her phone to the phone company phone provider. Oh wow from apparently Yeah. Yeah. Her friend family and friends knew for a fact that they had all been in contact with Annie several times that week, but the phone records were suddenly telling a very different story. Wow, which is really messed up.
Speaker 2: That is fucking intense. Holy shit.
Speaker 1: That would be like us phoning tell Us and I think basically and them just having no record that we made any calls.
Speaker 2: Or Shaw not to say that we use tell Us, because if tell Us wants us to say we use them, they'd have to sponsor us.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Okay, where the hell am I know? Okay, So the Scottish police took a look at those phone records too, and it did nothing to push them into investigating the case any further, of course, right, it didn't change their minds about determining Annie's death as suicide, and instead they turned around and said that the data they had and the story Annie's family and friends were telling them didn't add up, because apparently, to the phone records, Annie hadn't made or received any phone calls in the last three days leading up to her death, but.
Speaker 2: The family would be able to provide their call history, you would.
Speaker 1: Think so, right, Yeah, I don't know, but I think the police were just like, it seemed like they're just not even what's the word receptive. Yeah, they weren't even They're just like, this case.
Speaker 2: Is closed, okay, They're just kind of brushing it off me, like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Brushing it off. Yeah. So this completely knocked Annie's family, who at this point just felt like they were finding this huge or fighting this huge uphill battle and the Scottish police had no interest in hearing any opinions and they didn't agree with their own. Fuck, but their daughter was dead and they still had no answers to explain why.
Speaker 2: That's brutal.
Speaker 1: Annie's mother then came up with the idea to have a look at Annie's email account okay okay, hoping that something would be in there that could potentially bowl the case wide open. But when she logged into Annie's account and opened her mailbox, it was wiped. It was again completely cleared. Wow, just like her phone records, Annie's entire mailbox incoming and outcoming, everything gone. Wow. But I mean, okay, that one some people do actually like are like pretty obsessed with clearing their inbox. Like I'm my freaking inbox right now is has seventeen hundred on read messages, which oh god, people would just barf god.
Speaker 2: I get to a hundred and then I have to go and clear shit.
Speaker 1: Well, I got one hundred and twenty five messages today, so I clearly have to start some describing to shit. No kidding, but anyway, I do think the inbox being cleared makes kind of sense to me, But the oat box doesn't necessarily make sense because I don't know if people really.
Speaker 2: That's not something that's generally cleared because.
Speaker 1: You kind of almost want to keep that. Yeah, So no one could figure out why and why any and all the information that should have been very black and white and usually key evidence in investigations kept coming up blank.
Speaker 2: Oh I can tell you why, because someone fucking deleted it.
Speaker 1: I know, because it was It wasn't just like fuzzy like it was just like entirely missing this shit, right. So that was until Annie's best friend connected a few dots that took this case to a whole new level.
Speaker 2: Shit, I am on the edge of my seat.
Speaker 1: So her friend's name was Maria. She found an American investigative journalist by the name of Christina Borjesin, who wrote several highly critical articles about American policies.
Speaker 2: Way she had the same last name as Annie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, was it like a sibling?
Speaker 1: Just wait, okay, you can just wait.
Speaker 2: Sorry, will you? It just seemed like you're going to just blow past the same last name.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm not blown past that. So the coincidence of both Annie and Christina sharing a last name can be overlooked at first, like people share the same last name. Yeah, But a lot more than just a family name ties these two younger women together. Annie's middle name was Christina, so she was Annie Christina Boriesin. And the last article that American journalist Christina Borrijesen wrote about involved Scotland and one particular place in Scotland, the Prestwick Airport. The article investigated and criticized Scotland for allowing American planes caring criminals on their way to places where they could legally torture for information to and refuel in this airport, the same airport that Annie traveled back and forth in Sweden, or back and forth to Sweden from and the airport that was only a mile from where Annie's body was found, and we'll bounce back to more about Christina shortly. I'm going to leave you hanging here off for foxx sakes, But first, Annie had allegedly visited the airport the day before her body was found, So we're kind of like going to December third, right now.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Annie was found on Sunday, December fourth, so it can be assumed that she was at the airport on December third to catch a flight home. I don't know if Annie's family knew exactly when she was coming home, but we do know they were expecting her sometime around this time. Gotcha, Yeah, And she had her appointment with her hairdresser on Monday, library books to return, and she had her passport.
Speaker 2: With her and a check for three.
Speaker 1: Three hundred pounds sorry pounds. She went to the Central station where she tried to take money out of an ATM twice. I think she tried to take a hundred bucks first and then fifty bucks, but both times she didn't have enough money in her account for the transaction to go through. The leading theory is that Annie was trying to get money out so that she could buy her plane ticket back home. And remember she had this uncash check for three hundred pounds on her So why didn't she cash the check if she didn't have enough money in cash to buy her plane ticket?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, if you cash a check at an ATM, it's going to be held for like three to five days.
Speaker 1: It could, but I think if you like go in you can probably get the funds. Maybe they were closed, yeah, but if she's at the airport. She wasn't at the airport and she went to the bank, OK, gotcha. So she was like at these ATMs, but she was unsuccessful in getting money. So then Annie caught the bus from the central station and headed straight to the airport, where she was caught on CCTV footage. According to the footage, Annie was at the airport a total five minutes before she left, taking a totally different route. She didn't try to buy a ticket, She didn't really do anything. She sort of arrived at the airport and then left. Huh. Camera showed her leaving the airport through the short stay car park, suggesting that she planned on walking back into town instead of taking the bus. And it was it was this or sorry and this is where things got tricky again, Like it's just we're just all over our place here. Her family stated that the CCTV from the airport showed images of Annie looking angry, like she did not look happy, so they speculated if maybe she was perhaps planning to meet someone there and they didn't show And this is a side note that I haven't mentioned yet. One thing is that before Annie died, she had mentioned to her dad that she was going to get married. But that's all we know about that.
Speaker 2: Now. You just dropped this fucking bomb on us. Yeah, okay, okay, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: So I think some people are like, maybe she was going to be meeting her future husband at the airport and like they were going to be going home together, but then he didn't show up.
Speaker 2: But she only waited five minutes. That's not that people are going to wait a lot longer than five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would unless they had messaged her or something.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, but I mean two thousand and five phones weren't as prevalent then.
Speaker 1: I think in two thousand and five you still had a phone. We were in high school and we had phones.
Speaker 2: I didn't have a phone in high school. My parents didn't have cell phones on. I got my first phone, I think in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: Really, I'm like pretty certain I had a phone in two thousand and five, two thousands. I got a flip phone.
Speaker 2: I got my first the old school Nokia phone when I got my first job at that sawmill, because I was on call and I needed a way to make sure I was available for a call. And that's when I got my phone.
Speaker 1: Honestly, those were the good old days. Yeah, because the fact that you just have to be readily fucking available at any moment now sucks for anyone all the time, Like sucks. Yeah, that's my ted talk. Okay, So back to the airport. According and this kind of gets a little bit confusing, so I'm trying to like word it so it's not But according to the time stamps, Annie could have only reached the area she was spotted going into the airport to when she was seen leaving, the exact time frame that the time stamp on the footage said she had if she had been running. Oh, but the footage shows Annie carrying her bag and walking completely normal, And people had gone back and like tried to redo this and yeah, to do to get to where she was, you had have been like running.
Speaker 2: From like basically gate to gate sort of thing, right, kind Oh yeah, wow.
Speaker 1: So Annie left the airport at fifteen fifteen, and, according to more CCTV analysis, was believed to be seen again at sixteen oh five at Station Road. Then they can only say believe because the footage doesn't actually show the woman's face, but she has the same backpack as Annie, and that was enough for the place to determine that it was Annie. So the thing is like they're just assuming shit, Yeah, they are, like a lot of people have the same backpack. They don't make one of something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, just twenty minutes after Annie was supposedly at Station Road, two men reported seeing someone standing on the beach. The person had their hood up, and the men couldn't say if it had been a man or a woman, only that they seemed to be standing eerily still while staring out at the water. The men left the person alone and continued their walk along the beach, but when they were on their way back, this person was still standing there, just watching the water. The investigators determined from the report that this person was Annie and this was her amping herself up to commit suicide.
Speaker 2: Fuck that. I'm sorry. I've sat there watching water lots.
Speaker 1: I know what if you were just like a and they had no idea if this person was like a man or woman or yeah, I freaking love the ocean, so I could stand there for a while and just watch.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine if it's like everyone who just stood there watching a scenic landscape of some sort was just assumed that they're about to commit suicide. Yeah, Like, I'm pretty sure that's damn near the fucking opposite. When I'm like I need to get out of this like depression state. I'm going to go look at something and relax.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, and just like, oh man, how can I get out of the situation. You're going to go to somewhere that's really beautiful and just take some deep breasts and just like try to get back get back on your groove exactly.
Speaker 2: So, so I no, I do not subscribe to that. Yeah, yeah at all.
Speaker 1: So what exactly was Annie doing that day? And had the footage at the airport been altered or was there something missing from it all together? Had Annie been there to try to buy a ticket, or had she been there for some other reason? Now to bounce back to Christina Bouryessin. There's two theories there, the first one being that Annie herself was actually Christina.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, what so.
Speaker 1: That Annie was actually this writer Christina. That's like, that's one very far out theory that some reports do say. I don't. I don't technically believe that, but they're saying these two people were actually the same person and that Annie was actually like a journalist writing these stories.
Speaker 2: Okay, but do they know who Christina is today?
Speaker 1: Yes, I believe they do. So I don't think that that theory makes any sense, but I did read it, so I was like, I'm gonna put it in here.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I'm pretty sure the family would be like, yeah, that's not our daughter.
Speaker 1: So the more common theory, though, is that this was a case of mistaken identity and this makes sense to me, and that Annie was mistaken to be Christina, and being that Christina had written an article on a pretty hot topic involving politics, perhaps security services believed Annie was in Scotland to investigate the airport. Yeah, and she attracted some unwonted attention that went south.
Speaker 2: Oh snap, Yeah, that's very plausible, actually, can I can totally see that.
Speaker 1: If only Annie's file offax could be found, which from what I can tell, is just like a planner. I don't know if you heard that file.
Speaker 2: Offax, No, can't say.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think it might be kind of from over there. So her file of flax and fleece jacket were the only two items missing from Annie's bay. Within her file of flax, Annie would have kept all her documentation together, her id, her money, and more importantly, Annie used it to keep detailed notes about her days, so her travel plans, maybe even contact information for this mysterious man who called himself Martin Leslie. Okay, the folder was believed by Annie's family to have the answers to many unknown questions, but unfortunately it was never discovered. But it was also never really searched for. Like they kind of thought they should have got the coastguards or something to search within the waters for this, but like nothing like that happened. Fuck Okay, So now the last thing we'll basically touch on is Annie's body being returned to Sweden so her family could bury her there. Yeah, they were finally able to get their hands on some physical evidence to prove that their daughter didn't commit suicide. This was their hope. The first thing was that the Swedish Undertaker. Do you know what that is?
Speaker 2: Well? I know what an undertaker is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if you're not familiar with the term, I wasn't. An undertaker is basically like a funeral home operator, so someone who prepares bodies for burial.
Speaker 2: I learned what an undertaker was at a really young age.
Speaker 1: Really, I had never heard of Edward referred to that.
Speaker 2: Well. As a kid, I watched a bit of wrestling. There was a wrestler named the Undertaker.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what.
Speaker 2: It was because of him.
Speaker 1: I'm not like a huge fan of wrestling, but that's a terrific name for a wrestler, isn't it? Like it doesn't actually get better than Yeah?
Speaker 2: He was. He was like super goth and badass.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow.
Speaker 2: There was times he would like come out in a coffin and shit.
Speaker 1: Wow wow, like really went with that title?
Speaker 2: Oh fuck, yeah he did.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the Undertaker now I just can't think of this without thinking of that. Took one look at Annie's autopsy report and said the injuries stated in the report did not match with what they were seeing on her body. They claimed she had several bruises that seemed to be incurred while she was still alive, which the autopsy in Scotland hadn't recorded. Even when taking bruising and discolouration that happens after death into account, they couldn't see why the massive bruise on the side right arm and behind the ear that was larger than described hadn't been included in the report or looked at at looked into it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I fucking I said it at the beginning. I'm sorry, I basically did. What did you say with those bruises? I was really suspect to those bruises, Okay, you know the importance of them in like bruce mortem or whatever.
Speaker 1: So I mean, and the thing is, like, I hope the undertaker would know so much, but then also it would they have. It's not like a like a autopsy. Yeah, yeah, right. So these findings only gave Annie's friends and family new hope that her case maybe could be reopened right.
Speaker 2: And deemed not a suicide. But no, really, no fuck.
Speaker 1: The family even reached out to the Swedish police so their own police, and begged for help with trying to figure out what happened to Annie. And noo sympathetic Swedish police told Annie's family that there was no way they could launch a separate investigation into Annie's death without jeopardizing Sweden's relationship with a foreign company. Our country. What the fuck's in the country.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I can I can totally understand.
Speaker 1: I can kind of understand that too, but gosh, his family just is like.
Speaker 2: Fucked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like there's closure nothing. Yeah. And that's basically that the Scottish people certainly wanted answers, almost as much as that as Annie's family did.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure everyone does so much.
Speaker 1: So that anonymous person had placed a plaque on Preswick Bay that read Annie Boyesen born January seventh, nineteen seventy five, found dead December fourth, two thousand and five. Her loved ones never found out how or why a blot on Scotland's reputation for fairness.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And that's so that's a plot that's there or plague or yeah, plack plaque. Wow, good thing we're wrapping up here.
Speaker 2: It's no kidding roller coaster.
Speaker 1: So since Annie's death, her mother hasn't given up. She can't. She's campaigned relentlessly for official for an official inquest into her daughter's death, including presenting a three thousand signature petition to the Scottish Parliament at the end of twenty thirteen. In regards to Scotland, she said, this is a beautiful country with lovely and caring people. Please do not leave them and our family with all these unanswered questions. All we want is a fatal accident inquiry into Annie's mysterious death. Please let us know why Annie had to die in the country she loved. Apparently too, there's a documentary in the works to cover any story. I came across a few articles from this past summer stating that a new four part series on the case called Body on the Beach is being made. I couldn't find the details on when it was expected to be released, but apparently it will present new evidence on the case. So if we hear anything in regards to it, we will definitely letch you know. Oh yeah, so that's that.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, that's cool.
Speaker 1: So what do you think, So basically we have suicide? I mean we do. She was going through some She did seem like she was going through something, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I mean when some people aren't always open about their emotions and what they're going through. The people can be very private able they.
Speaker 1: Can, and they can and some people are very good at hiding showing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that could have simply been I mean, she potentially was getting married, so it could have been that she was just really trying to be quiet about this not say anything when she got home, which is why she seemed weird.
Speaker 1: Like it could have been a surprise or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it could have been something positive, even who knows, right, Yeah, My full theory is I do think that her and Christina got mixed up, and I think whoever this was, this mysterious individual, this sexual predator as she labeled them, was behind it. I think there was at least two individuals, one that was corroborating with them, who was the potential fiance, and then the second individual who was the potential sex predator. I think they were corroborating thinking she was Christina trying to get within her life and get to the right point in time where they could dispose of her because of potentially what she could do for their business or whatever their business may be, or what they're involved with. So they wanted to get rid of her for any potential trouble she may caused not realizing they had the wrong person. They may have gotten rid of her and realized it was the wrong person, and we're just trying to cover their tracks on being like, oh shit, we got the wrong person. Or they could have just gotten rid of her and covered their tracks regardless and clean their hands of it realized later after the fact. But either way, I think two or more individuals were involved confused her with the wrong person, and she was subject to just a misfortunate understanding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, because it seems a lot of even the investigations, and it all just seems a little fishy, like that they're not digging in deep and just things are are not I don't know, I'm like things are being covered up almost not saying that the investigators are doing that, but something is fishy, and in this whole thing, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not sold that it's a government conspiracy kind of cover up the police or hiding something. I'm not sold on that because people all over just don't do their job on a day to day basis, no matter the fucking role. People get complacent, they become desensitized to their job, and they almost just don't care anymore. So I'm not convinced that it's someone's covering something up. I'm thinking that someone's like, Eh, it's suicide. They're just convincing theirselves at suicide and they're just washing their hands of it. Yeah, and now that new evidence is coming out, they just have to stand their ground on it and be like, no, we stand by what we said. It's suicide. Let's be over this and move on. But they just it's such a misunforce a miss. It's such an unfortunate situation that this oversight on whoever made that call, it keeps coming back to haunt them, and they just have to keep holding their ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And what's super unfortunate is that the family, I mean, this was in two thousand and five and they have not gotten any answers and they're trying, like this just must be exhausting to them, like exhausting and just so sad. So I feel like this case was kind of all over the place, and it's so much information, but it was also one that I felt like should be out there. And I really really hope this documentary comes out and that maybe it has does have new new findings, and that maybe that this can be closed because that would be amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh, it would be. And the difficult thing with like mysterious or unknown cases that don't have an answer. We don't know what happened, so there's no real storyline to follow. It's just pick all the information we can and put it in best chronological order. Yeah, so sometimes it seems all over the place because that's that's all we have.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean her final days they were it was very mysterious, like what was going on? And then I think things she seemed like she was places where she wasn't and yeah, because the investigation wasn't really super thorough. So I was just I don't know, this case is going to actually haunt me a little bit because like I.
Speaker 2: Can see that. Yeah, yeah, fair enough, Okay, well done on that. If you guys want to go check out our social media's or anything, all of our links are in the description of this podcast. We got Patreon, we can head over support us get some behind the scenes content and exclusive episodes that come out last day of every month. We just created a new discord chat, so you can head over to Patreon and get signed up and join us on discord. We can just chat with us on a day to day basis. I just actually, even while Nicole was doing this podcast, I just uploaded a photo of our dog, Ripley sleeping.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's why you were on the phone, That's why.
Speaker 2: I was on my phone. Well, she was sleeping, she was curled up, and she had her little stuffed beer bottle. It looked like she was passed out from just drinking too much. Soe yea, I can get that sort of stuff. But of course, no pressure. If you just want to be here chatting with us as you listening to the podcast as totally cool too. We appreciate it just the same we do. Yeah, anything else, I think that's it.
Speaker 1: I think that's totally it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Well, we appreciate you guys being here, and until next episode, stay wicked.