Speaker 1: Kalaroga Shock Media.
Speaker 2: Hey there, I'm Jenny Mack with your daily comedy news. Dave Chappelle says he's invigorated. He said that at the NAACP Awards on Saturday night, where he was given the President's Award. Dave said, I won a lot of awards recently, but this one tonight is probably the most special award I've ever gotten.
Speaker 1: Thank you, mister President, for this's hona. Uh. You know, look, I won a lot of awards recently, but this one tonight is probably the most special award I've ever gotten because it's from this institution that represents these people, US people of color, black people. My god brother is here tonight, Ben Jealous. Ben used to be the president of the NAACP, and I asked him, I said, what do you think? What do you think I should say tonight? And Ben sent me a whole speech. But tonight, man, tonight, I feel invigorated because all my Netflix checks cleared. I don't know anybody any work right now. Every time you see me, just know I'm only up there because I want to be right up there.
Speaker 2: Dave said, I hope all of us who work in this industry feel strong and inspired and not discouraged, especially because this is a very difficult time right now.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of work to do. But it feels good to know that we're not in it alone, that we got each other and remember, community is everything. Shout out to everybody who lost their home or was displaced from their home, even for a time. Everybody, Look, don't ever be afraid to lean on each other. My father told me a phrase that got me all the way to where I am today. He said, whenever you mess up, well you feel like you can't get up. He said, you remember these words because they are magic words. And I said, what's the words? Day?
Speaker 2: And he seeing whoops, good stuff from Dave. There on Gossip Corner, TMZ reported Justin Bieber takes a smoke break while catching up with Dave Chappelle. They were photographed together at Barney's Beanery in West Hollywood on Saturday night. We're told they were seen sitting on the outside patio. At one point, Justin Bieber was seen hugging another person who was arriving to the bar. It's unclear if they were with a group or others or what was going on, but Justin had his cigarettes Naproghetz. He talked about appearing at SNL fifty and on his podcast, and Heate said, I got there Wednesday because I was supposed to rehearsal Thursday, and then as I was about to take off, they tell me I don't have to rehearse until Saturday, and rather than deep board the plane, Ate decided to spend the week in New York and maybe get in a few spots. Nate said, a lot of comics. We got together and hung out. So we went to the East Village with Gaff again. Then on Wednesday night I went over to the comedy seller. Nate was aware of all the name dropping and said, this is gonna be just all names. You know, everybody's kind of in town, right because everybody's going SNL fifties. So I went up, Spade went up, Rock went up. We didn't know this, they told us as we were going up. That same show. How that show started was the host that it was Steve Martin. Martin short John Mulaney. We were the worst part of the show. He said of Steve Martin that he doesn't think that Martin's been to a room like that since the nineteen sixties. He said, the audience is very fortunate. Those people paid I think eighteen dollars for that ticket. We were saying, like it's gotta be one of the better lineups ever at the Cellar. Friday did a big profile of Greg Guttfeld. Now I don't talk about Greg much because there's never anything in the press about him. Friday estimates Greg makes about nine million dollars a year, roughly half of what Fallon, Kimmel and Colbert are earning. Depending on whose report you read, Guttfeld might have the top late night show. Greg said, I think Fallon was a victor of status preservation. I think when I see them all in agreement not to make jokes about sacred subjects out of again status preservations, it's because they know they'll be cast aside if they do that. I'm already cast aside. I'm free. Variety writes that Greg struggles to name a host he finds funny other than Bill Maher and Joe Rogan. Then he remembers Tim Dillon. Tim has a small role in Joker Too, and he has trashed it. Greg says of Dylan talk about non interested in status preservation, said it's the worst movie he's ever made, and how everybody on the set new it was terrible. That's somebody who doesn't care. Then you have Andre Schultz at THEO Vaughn finding success and being honest and not giving a hoot. Then you have these other guys that have told the line and they're like, are we out and the zeitgeist? Are we no longer relevant? Greg, I think correctly analyzes Howard Stern here and I have often said of Howard to a couple things. One, Howard paid me the compliment of my career, oh probably twenty years ago now. The first time I met him, the only time I met him, he found out that a program the Rodock Channel, and he told me it sounded really great. So Howard Stern telling me my radio station sounded great meant the world to me. But I don't think Greg is unfair here when he says the more Howard Stern had to lose, the less risk he took. I think when you're in that group, the late not comedy or humorous world, they start putting their professional status and their personal status in front of what could be really funny and what could be really true. They had four years of an incapacitated president, and they didn't say boo, and instead they unravel over posts by Trump. But it's like you could do both. Gottfeldt said he did not vote for Trump in twenty sixteen, did so reluctantly in twenty twenty, and enthusiastically in twenty twenty four. This time I went in person, like the day the freaking place opened. I was there at nine am down in the village that I couldn't wait. Interesting exchange here with the Variety. Greg explains that his mom was Catholic. The writer says, wait, aren't you Jewish? The text then reads this might be the only time during our hours together which he seems uncomfortable. Answering a question, Greg says, my dad was an atheist. I think after the Holocaust he had no religious beliefs at all. I don't remember the stories except that my dad didn't want to talk about it. My parents were older when they had me, so he was born in nineteen twenty four to twenty so he had a lot of relatives. Blah blah blah. Variety asks in the Holocaust, Greg said, either escaping or in I never really talk about it because I don't know. Greg talked about when the Internet wanted to cancel Sidney Sweeney because a relative of Sydney's was photographed wearing a Blue Lives Matter shirt at her mother's birthday party. Greg said, see, this is what happened when you were on at Targets and how addictive it is to cancel people. It's not enough just to go after famous people. You have to go after people who are tangential to fame. Then you get a dopamine head every time it works. Did you take down Sidney Sweeney's relative? Yes, I did. It could be well, you're a loser. That should be the answer. Greg continues, celebrities have too much to lose to let their guard down on a show like mine. If I had Ryan Reynolds or somebody sitting there and we're doing a segment on trans and sports, you think he's going to tell me what he thinks. F No, he's going to be looking for his publicist. You said you were promoting a movie. You didn't tell me they're gonna ask me about this. Greg said, I don't need it. Kim Well could have Kevin Costner on, I'd still beat him. I'd still double his ratings. I wanted to shout out the people who support the show. The irregular members at buy Me a Coffee dot Com. They are Deb, Tommy Andrea, Gary, Shannon, Mike and Kenny. Much appreciated. It is one way to support the show. You go to buy Me a Coffee dot com slash Daily Comedy News. You throw a couple bucks in the tip chart. You can become a member the two dollar club. As I always say, two dollars five hundred thousand people do it. I'll have a million dollars. Can you imagine that? Not quite a five hundred thousand yet, but you know we're getting there. Buy Me a Coffee dot com slash Daily Comedy News. Appreciate you guys supporting the show. The SAG Awards were Sunday Night, and people paid attention to them this year because they were on Netflix. The Outstanding Performance buy an Ensemble in a Comedy Series the nominees Abbott Elementary Hacks Shrinking the Bear, which, as we all know, is not a comedy at all, so the winner only murders in the building. Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series the nominees Adam Browdy. Nobody wants this. Ted Danson Man on the Inside, Harrison Ford Shrinking, Jeremy Allen White for a Dramatic series, The Bear, The Winner, Martin Short Only Murders. Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series nominees Kristen Bell Nobody Wants This, Quentin Brunson, Abbott, Lisa Colone Zayas for Drama series The Bear, Ioeta Berry for Drama series The Bear, The Winner, Gene Smart for Hacks. Chelsea Handler has a book out today. It's called I'll Have What She's Having. It's Tuesday. What's the Netflix special today? Looks like there isn't one today. I don't have anything in the notes, and I usually put these in the notes. The next two were Andrew Schultz on March fourth and Chelsea Handler on March twenty fifth. Last week was Rose bud Baker, Okay Becuesse. They didn't do one this week, So if you need something to watch, Gina Brillan, She's got a special aut on YouTube today. In Mind Your Business, Gina tackles everything from becoming a mother during the pandemic, the evolving challenges of parenthood, the rising costs of travel, and the complexities of our ever changing social climate, and it pulled a couple clips here. I'm gonna split this into today and tomorrow because it's just not cool to turn my show into I play clips from Trevor Noah's podcast. But I was listening to the episode from February sixth where he was talking about hosting the Grammys, and I thought this was really interesting. Trevor explained the push and pull of playing to the room versus playing to the audience at home. I'll let this go for a little bit.
Speaker 3: The weird thing about doing live TV, especially in award show or anything like that, is you're balancing two balls that are very differently sized. You have the TV audience, which is massive, and then you have the live audience, which is tiny in comparison. However, the live audience has a direct and immediate impact on you. The TV audience does not. Yeah, but now, if you ignore the live audience, that is at your peril as a performer, because they will never be with you. And if you don't have the room, you don't have the right energy that gets you to where you need to be in whatever you're saying. They're not listening, they're not paying attention, they're not coming with you, they're not laugh you name it. If you only pay attentions to the room, the person at home is going, well, clearly this is not for me, yea, this is taking too long. This is and you've watched an award show where it feels self indulgent sitting at home and then the people they are like, ah, nice shoes.
Speaker 2: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Speaker 3: And you're like, all right, clearly this is not about me. I'm just watching people. But this is the delicate dance. You are making a show for television. But they aren't two hundred people in that room with you. There are fourteen thousand people in the room with you. So they are as important in a weird way as the people at home, and yet they serve very different purposes. So your pace for the people in the room is different to your pace for the people at home. Your pace for a joke is different your pace for everything. So in these moments, what I'm experiencing is I've just felt where the room is when we've come out of the top of the show, and I've gone, damn, we have a lot of work to do tonight. Because people aren't as celebratory as they normally.
Speaker 2: Are pretty interesting, right. He then explained the vibe in the room that was right around the La fires, and he explains that he was editing on the fly and just kind of feeling the vibe and not just doing the act as written and moving some stuff around, so it was not to screw things up. Really interesting here.
Speaker 3: And I've gone, damn, we have a lot of work to do tonight because people aren't as celebratory as they normally are. So now when people are saying how are you? And how have you been? At every table, whether it's Cynthia Arrivo talking to Taylor Swift, whether it's John Legend going over and talking to you know, Esperanza Spelding or whoever it is, everyone there is going how are you. Normally it's like, hey, what's up? How are you feeling?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Baby, oh look at you. No, now people are how are you? It doesn't matter why how are you? And now I'm going, oh man, this is not where I would do the jokes that I thought I would do, And I've got to move that around. I'm doing all of this in my head here. I'm trying to think of how we're shifting things, trying to think of and I mean, you know me, well, both of you do. After every show I go, there's a million things I could have done better, you know. But because I know comedy's so percarious, I'm always like, ah, it's the death of you.
Speaker 2: Got a couple more clips from Trevor tomorrow. That great Jim Gaffigan joke. Apparently nobody told Jim they were about to do it, so Trevor will tell that story tomorrow. In the meantime, listening to Trevor's podcast, this is the February sixth episode that I'm talking about here, lenn On a sad note. Lynn Marie Stewart. You may know her as Charlie's mom on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. She's passed away at age seventy eight. You may also know her as Miss Evonne on the Peewee Herman Show. Deadline reports that Stuart passed away on February twenty first, at the age of seventy eight. Manager Betty Smith reported that Stuart had found a tumor between her liver and gallbladder and said that Lynn was the most talented actress. She left her craft above everything. Lynn Marie Stewart was seventy eight,