Speaker 1: So just to heads up, as with Part one, we're discussing dairy and we also make acknowledgments of animal rights concerns, and this week we discuss a bunch of vegan options in more depth to and this wonderful Cheese Experts focus isn't dairy farming as an industry, but rather the process of cheesemaking. And also in the future we have a plant based diet episode coming up, so enjoy. Oh hey, it's once again the monster who returns emails at four pm on a Friday. Sorry everyone, still ali ward, This is cheese. This is part two. So if you have come here first, you skip part one. I just simply cannot abide because you will get to know our esteemed guest and you will know cheese from a foundational level. So start there. Start a Part one. That's the beginning, that's how things go. Now in a moment, we're going to get to Part two, which is just wall to wall listener questions and weirder and creepier, tastier, gorgeous facts about things like cows on boats and vegan options for cheese. The most violent way to enjoy cheese, The Great Grilled Cheese sandwich debate, how to craft some curds at home. We talk about cheese pricing, squeakycurds, the Moon's composition, the ultimate charcuterie board. We also talk holes, crystals, maggots, oh my. But first, thank you to pay Trends via Patreon dot com slash Ologies, who for a dollar a month can submit questions ahead of time for theologists. And thanks to everyone who's out there wearing ologies merch out in the wild so you can find each other. You can get it at ologiesmarch dot com for no dollars. Thank you for leaving us reviews. I read all of them, and then as proof I highlight a fresh one, such as this one this week from ekwo four, who wrote that this podcast is smart, hilarious, weirdly comforting, and one hundred percent responsible for their new obsession with rattlesnakes, because like, what do you mean there's a live stream of a rattlesnake ten ten out of ten ekw zero zero four, thanks for that from me and from the Rattlesnakes. Enjoy the Rattlesnakes episode if you haven't already, It's so good, okay if you're new around here. Also and you need any kids saye versions of ologies, we have them for free. They're in their very own feed Wherever we get podcasts are called smologies SMO l O g i e S. They're also linked in the show notes or just honestly search any podcast player and you can subscribe there for classroom safe and g rated cuts. Also thanks to sponsors of the show for making it possible for us to donate to a cause of the ologists choosing every episode get value.
Speaker 2: You can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Serve up something special with our finest meal deal for two starring one main, two sides and dessert for only sixteen EU. Row like succulent board, be approved Virus shined a strip loin steaks with peppercorn butter or delicious Virus Chicken Parmesana served with creamy potato gretam and our mix of rainbow root vegetables. And enjoy Goozillionaire or Soldier Caramel cheesecake. Can't argue with that shop in store or online.
Speaker 3: Tesco.
Speaker 2: Every Little helps available in most doors, prices very in express.
Speaker 4: You're on the bus an hour from home in bumper to bumper traffic creeping forward a few inches at a time. Someone's kids are screaming, so suddenly your back is too. Luckily, Panadal extra film coated tablets are boosted by caffeine and they get to work in as little as ten minutes for powerful relief. That's more than just paracetamol. That's one for panadal speed based on absorption data contains paracetamol.
Speaker 3: Always read the label or leaflet.
Speaker 1: Okay, Onto Phromology Part two. Illegal Cheeses, The pasteurization conundrum. How to properly store cheese orange versus white cheddar WHDe cheese changes your brain chemistry and so much more. And heads up when you hear this guest say, great question. Just feel free to do a tiny imperceptible dance where you can take a sip of whatever beverage you've got going on Celebrated.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of.
Speaker 1: Really stellar answers to great questions with this professional food educator, certified cheese professional, and phromologists Kira Is James. Can I do a lightning round of listener questions?
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: The most questions we've ever gotten on any episode.
Speaker 5: That's awesome. People love cheese.
Speaker 1: They love cheese, and they have questions.
Speaker 5: My name is Ronnie.
Speaker 6: I live in LA and I was wondering what the deal is with the cheese that has the bugs in it. So if you could let me know why the cheese has bugs in it, that would be really great.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Ronnie, thank you. You're not alone because her ladyship gen Doctor Lina Carpenter TV thirty three, Dory Baggat's husband, Seth dig Haley Kirby, Ingve Sylvia Treverio, Spencer Aldridge, and Mouse Paxton, who says, I'll try most things, but that's just too much for me. So that's a cheese. Even a mouse won't fuck with what is happening? And Ronnie not Ronnie pardon? So Ronnie and other folks want to know what's with the mite cheese? What's with the maggot cheese? What's happening?
Speaker 5: Yes, so maggot cheese is called katsu martsu.
Speaker 1: It means putrid cheese, and it's illegal from Sardinia.
Speaker 5: And what they're basically doing, it's not sold anywhere they make the cheese, but it's no longer allowed to be sold, but they're making the cheese the same way traditionally, and what they do is they leave the cheese out, so they go through the make process, they go through the aging process, and then the wheel of cheese is sit out on a counter and they basically allow a certain breed of flies to lay their eggs on the cheese and then the larvae eat away at the cheese and excrete afterwards. Oh and so that sort of process creates a certain texture and flavor profile that's very very specific and very very unique, but very well known also. So yes, I've never had it, but I've learned a lot about it just because people do often ask about it. So great question. Yeah, but it's the larvae that so it's not necessarily maggots, but it's the larvae that are consuming the cheese and creating the super supple texture.
Speaker 1: Does that leave holes in the cheese like little burrows?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's holes in the next sterior of the cheese because they're burring into the paste of the cheese. So there are definitely holes on the outside.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yes, this is a sheep's cheese. It's a peccerino, if you remember from part one, and it's infested with Piophilia case I or the cheese skipper also known as a ham skipper, and I'm gonna let you guess why. They also call it a ham skipper, so it likes ham. And some folks they smear this cheese while it's still wriggling, right on a piece of bread, and then the party just rages on down the hatch. And apparently, if the maggots are not still alive, it's not safe to eat. If the maggets are alive, it's also not safe to eat. But that's not the point. And I started with this cursory wiki search, but what I found on Wikipedia was so simple and so delicious, I'd like to serve you up some excerpts verbatim, okay quote. Some who eat the cheese prefer not to ingest the maggots. Those who do not wish to eat them place the cheese in a sealed paper bag. The maggots starved for oxygen, writhe, and jump in the bag, creating a pitter petter sound. When the sounds subside, the maggots are dead and the cheese can be eaten. Wikipedia continues. Because the larvae in the cheese can launch themselves distances of up to fifteen centimeters or six inches. When disturbed, diners hold their hands above the sandwich to prevent the maggots from leaping now. Additionally, the Guinness Book of World Records, which named Katzmartu as the most dangerous cheese in the world, notes that if you eat the maggots and they survive your teeth and your stomach, you could be rewarded with things like intestine allegiance and new wormy roommates. Down there, you can also enjoy vomiting, itchy butt and bloody diarrhea. Is it worth it? Apparently? It tastes intense, which is no surprise, also grassy, it's got a little spicy sting, and an aftertaste that I'm reading can last until the next day if you're lucky. So that's a lot of bang for the buck. Now. In a twenty twenty one article in The Outline titled the Secret Resistance behind the World's most Dangerous Cheese, this article notes that if you go to Sardinia and you ask about this cheese, people will likely be annoyed because one is illegal, even though people still make and eat it there, and two because tourists ask about it all the time, probably like wanting to make a TikTok about it. Well, several people want to know. Jacob Stock, Matthew Walker, Storm Wickerbitch, Bonnie m Brutherbird, and Hendrix want to know, in Jacob's words, how do Swiss tree get its holes? Like, girl, is it breathing?
Speaker 5: Great question. They're actually called eyes and they're basically traps of gas. So during the fermentation process when the lactose is being turned into lactic acid in certain types of cheeses, there will be gas bubbles that are formed. They pop inside the cheese and that's what creates the holes inside the cheese. So it's actually the process of making cheese. Emmon Taller is one of the most famous ones. What we in America called Swiss cheese often is described as having holes in it. But that's the process of it, and it does create a certain flavor profile as well. It's not just random, it's very intentional.
Speaker 1: Okay, mntall is a proper way to address it.
Speaker 8: Though.
Speaker 5: Emmon Taller is one type of cheese it's becoming extinct in some ways, or trying to save the M and taller from going extinct. So it's definitely one that I call out very often. But It's just it's one that sort of when you see an image of a pe of cheese with holes in it, that's what it looks like to me.
Speaker 1: So there are many, many types of Swiss cheeses, but the holy, holy kind that you're imagining is yes, called an emmentaler. And according to the nineteen seventeen paper on the formation of eyes in emmental Cheese, there are three types of holes in this kind of Swiss cheese. The smallest are called Nisler holes, the eyes which are medium sized, and then there's the largest ones, called blow holes. And this nineteen seventeen paper stated very confidently that a rapid gas production makes the Nisler holes, and slower gas production must be responsible for the larger holes. Since the nineteen seventeen paper, scientists have known that the holes are caused by trapped gases. However, However, a couple decades ago, the holes started disappearing. What is this? Is this climate change? Is this unhappy cows? Did we go down the wrong path in a simulation? Is there some dark magic wielded by a lacked, intolerant warlock? What happened to the holes? Well, in twenty fifteen, some fresh knowledge bubbled of the surface in a paper titled Mechanism and Control of the Eye Formation in Cheese, and that reminded us that, yes, the ie formation in Swiss type cheese is mainly the result of acid fermentation, which creates a few substances including CO two gas bubbles. Now, usually formologists do these cheese ie exams by quote listening to the type of sound made while tapping with a special hammer on the surface of the cheese loaf. This study, however, this twenty fifteen study used ultrasounds and other medical imaging equipment to find out what causes the quantity and the size of the bubbles, and they found out its trace amounts of hay in the milk. So the eyes in m Intoller type cheeses were disappearing because the milk was being collected through more modern means, i e. Not someone in a sun dress in braids with an open pail, which would get specks of hay kind of dancing amid the way. So the paper concludes that it's likely that trace amounts of hay dust entering in raw milk have always been the natural source of the eye nuclei which trigger the start of eye formation in the cheese, and just recently this just was decided. There was all this fierce debate from traditionalists and industrialists, and Switzerland has decided to allow the addition of hay flour powder to its cheeses. That way they can keep harvesting the milk with modern equipment, but also add a little hay dust in there to get the bubbles back. And it's also worth noting that the holes in this type of cheese for a long time were considered bad and unsightly. They were a bug and not a feature. But over the centuries, this holy look of ementol cheese became representative of all cheese itself. So remember when you see an emintolerches just serving with those stunning eyes, Remember that that was once seed is bad and now it's iconic. What's the emoji for cheese? Yeah, bitch the emin taller? Okay, dead ass. Side note, we have a two part episode all about how they decide on emochiese and it's called Curiology. And July seventeenth is World Emoji Day because the little calendar emoji says July seventeenth. We'll link that in the show notes. But let's take a quick detour from dusty buckets to cheese that needs no cows. Dozens and dozens if you wanted to know so many people I don't even know if I can list all their names. Asked about vegan cheese Jerry Brown, first time question asker. I wanted to know does nut cheese use the same bacteria as dairy cheese and is that technically cheese? Lauren Cooper, This is going to be a divisive question. I want to know why does vegan cheese suck so much? Other people think it's it's good. I'm myself a diet cheese I think that melts great. If you've got a vegan pizza with diet cheese, I'm all for it.
Speaker 5: So I've lots of thoughts on vegan cheese. It's tataga that we talk about in the industry in some way, shape or form a lot. But to me, vegan cheese is not cheese. Okay, I think it's a vegan product. I think vegan cheese product might be a better way to name it, but it's not the same as cheese. There are vegan cheeses that use the same microorganisms to create the final product. There are vegan cheeses that go through fermentation, well not fermentation exactly, but where you can actually have a rind on the cheese where you have certain flair profiles in the cheese. Like they have blue vegan cheese, they have cheddar vegan cheeses. They're adding certain things to those products that are the same exact ingredients that you'd add to cheese. So in that respect, they're very similar. But there's no milk, and so for me, without having dairy milk included, it's not a fermented milk products, so therefore it's not cheese.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry. I think that it's delicious. I eat vegetarian often, and I've had many of the vegan cheeses on the market, and there are a few that I actually would eat again. So I definitely have no shade to them. To me, they're not considered cheese. I would say that they're their own separate category and should be treated as such.
Speaker 1: Do you think that nut milks and vegan cheese should go buy something else like cheese or milk? Like? Do you think that we need a distinguishing name for them.
Speaker 5: I always think things should be able to stand on their own. I think that having its own allows for to create its own perceptions. When you put the word milk or cheese within the name of the product, people are going to automatically associate the two together. And so when you eat vegan cheese and it doesn't taste like cheese, people get upset because they're expecting it to taste like cheese, just like oat milk. When you have oat milk and it doesn't taste like regular milk, people are like, this is gross. And it's like, well, it's not supposed to be the same thing. It's own product. So I think we kind of do a disservice by naming these things and putting them in the same categories, because it doesn't allow that product to shine fully on its own.
Speaker 1: It's like calling a bike a car. They're different and they serve different functions.
Speaker 5: That's a good point, like that, yes.
Speaker 1: It's a bike, leader it alone exactly. So vegan cheeses tend to rely on starches and fats combined instead of protein in fats as animal dairy does. But in the last few years there have been more and more and more options for plant based cheese. So if you tried it years ago, give it another try, right, Now, someone in a lab coat out there maybe you're listening, is making nachos that you will love in the future. And that person is probably using the empirical Schreiber multability test, which is an actual thing which puts samples of cheese in an oven on a ringed Petrie dish to see just what kind of spread each cheese has. And yeah, for me personally, I find Dia cheese Daiya Dia cheese. Those tend to be the stretchiest, meltius gooiest. I prefer them over regular shredded cheeses. I think that they're better. But other favorite brands I've seen on plant based forums are Chow Creamery and one called Miokos Mazzarella, which is like a liquid. It comes in a bottle. I guess just trust the process. Violife is said to make a good fata cheese and for blue cheese crumbles. I've heard good things about Follow your Heart. Now, if you have some plant based friends, or maybe some vegan curious ones or anyone, maybe you could have like a byo VC bring your own vegan cheese pizza party so everyone brings one and then you can sample a lot without spending too much on any one particular one. But if you're like, take me back to the cows. This next topic was asked by Lisa Gorman and Taylor, among others. Many people had shuddar questions Abby, Alice Ruben, Meghan Walker, Rebecca first time question asker, and Rachel Glaza first time question asker wanted to know. Abby asked, I love sharp cheddar? What makes it and other similar cheeses sharp? And why is it so much better than mild cheeses? And Meghan Walker wanted to know why is so much cheddar orange?
Speaker 5: Great questions. So, the word sharp is a tough one, Okay, We in the industry don't use the words sharp very often to describe things because it's it can mean so many different things. But in America we do brand cheddars using the words sharp and extra sharp, and there are actually rules behind it. So to be a sharp cheese in America, it's aged between six and eight months, and then to be an extra sharp cheese an extra sharp cheddar, it's aged at least twelve months. So, in thinking about it from a cheesemonger perspective, the older the cheddar is, the stronger the flavor will be. So you have less moisture more acidity. So oftentimes sharpness is associated with being acidic or like you know, hitting the back of your throat kind of thing. So the older the cheddar is, the more sharpness or the more intensity you'll find it has. Now cheddars, if they're orange, they've been dyed with natural ingredient called a nato. A nato is a seed. It's similar to tumeric in some ways in that it provides a lot of color but not a lot of flavor to foods, and so when you add a nato to cheese, it creates the orange color without adding any flavor. A lot of times a nato was throughout history added to create distinctions between cheese types so that you can identify it as a certain cheese, like, oh, that's what you call it because it's orange. Other cheeses are dyed orange naturally, like a gouda will be a dark orange just because of time during the aging process, it'll actually get darker in color. So a lot of times the darkness is natural. Cheddars and goudhas specifically have a lot of yellow tones in them, and that comes from what the animals are eating. So the more grass and animal eats, the more yellow the cheese will be. Oh for cow and sheep smoke cheeses. So oftentimes if you see a dark yellow cheese, you know that the animal has been eating grass. So that's one another factor. But yeah, they're dyed orange using a nato seed.
Speaker 1: And so white cheddar is just that without the anato.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly. And that was something that really blew my mind when I learned it, because when I was little, I only ate orange cheese. I ate. I hated white cheese. I thought it tasted I thought it tasted different, and so to hear it now, I'm like, oh, got that wrong.
Speaker 1: My dad was that way when they started labeling red licorice like red vines fat free. My dad was like, they don't taste the same, but they had always been, but they just started putting that on the label or like Dad, so like, I don't know, something's wrong with them. And it's like in your head, but that sharp, sharp cheese. I thought, this is a great question. I'm sure you get this a lot. Marcy and may of Olivia Meyers Sureley lose an Ombo. First time question asker Maya, Josh kent Ley, Rachel Guthrie Michael Newman, Kate Radford, Bradley Ludwig and Jordan Irons wanted to know the crystals. Rachel asked what are the crystals? And sharper and harder cheeses? Yeah, how old does it have to be? And Maya is a first time question asker and a Wisconsin cheesehead and they say they just had a delightful piece of age Guda and wondered what makes those magical little crystals? Why are they the most delicious?
Speaker 5: Great question? Yes, definitely get this one often. So they're not actual crystals. They're crystallized protein, oftentimes amino acid. So the most common one that you'll see inside the cheeses be called terraceine crystals. So as the cheese ages and again loses that moisture, things begin to break down in a different way. So it's actually a form of the proteins breaking down and separating into these crystallized pieces, and so they've become little crunchy bites in your cheese. They often taste saltier, but that's just the concentrated flavor of the proteins. There's also crystals sometimes on the x tiar of cheeses, like block cheddars, we'll often have what we call calcium lactate, which is an amino acid that is formed on the outside of cheddars that has a little bit of a crystallized texture as well that some people love, some people don't like. But you can always just scrape it off for the calcium lactatee. But to get crystals, I mean, the cheese has to be aged, you know, six months or so. If you're making an age guda, they probably will take a few more months to get two crystallized textures. But cheddars you might have some crystals in like at like six months to eight months.
Speaker 1: So if you see little crunchy crystals in the cheese that you just bought, don't worry. You are just blessed. It's so interesting to think that your cheese could be older than like a baby that's walking, you know, or something like that. That's nice. A lot of people Claire Gabbon, Mallory, Alb, Kayla, rhann In, Humani, Alice, Reuben, and Jordan wanted to know, in Claire's words, why do some cheese melt and become liquid like mozzarella and some hold their shape like haloomy.
Speaker 5: Great question, so it has to do with the moisture and the acidity of the cheese. So if it's higher in moisture and low in acidity, h that's sort of the sweet spot for melting cheese. So in terms of what that means for you, the person who doesn't know what moisture or cidity levels are in cheese, look for things that are at that sort of malleable texture, sort of wiggily or you can like bendable or appliable that are super hard are not going to have a lot of moisture in them, so they're going to take a lot longer to melt. And things with high acidity like Pinier Hallomi that are on the other end of the spectrum are not going to melt. Their proteins are sort of set up in a different way, so the proteins are a lot tighter together when they're high in acid, and so that the proteins don't want to melt. They're gonna want to stick together and keep that strong bond they have. So asking cheesemonger is the best recommendation I can give. But if you're at the store looking for cheeses that melt, well, look for things that are sort of semi firm, or that you can bend, or that you can sort of press your finger into. Those cheese will melt really well.
Speaker 1: And in Part one you may remember that we covered sodium citrate added to American cheese to make it meltier and to stabilize the proteins and fats. And as long as we're here, did you know that parmesan cheese powder? I just found this out, the kind that you shake over spaghetti leftovers, the one with like the green top. It's called parmesan because outside the EU you can just call whatever whatever, even though it's not pure parmesan. Also, check the back of that cheese powder and you will probably see the ingredient cellulose fiber, which is just wood pulp. They just add sawdust in there to prevent caking, but also they do it to sell you some sawdust because it's probably cheaper than cheese. Now, if that is the only parmesan cheese that you've ever had, you're me until my late twenties. But it turns out that Parmesano reggiano is the actual cheese. It's worth the crumble. But back to those softer, meltier cheeses. Hang on to your lactose tabs. For a very contentious question here, Alice Ruben and Jason Frere wanted to know. Jason asked, what cheese should I use for the best grilled cheese sandwich or in your mind if you had your perfect grilled cheese. This can be absolutely subjective from your perspective. Best grilled cheese. Is it a sour dough? Is it a wee bread? Is it a rye? What's your dream grilled cheese?
Speaker 5: Hm, I do love sour dough. I would probably say sour dough bread, and I would go to the Alps, so I would probably get some young Greair or a young Comte. Comte is made in France, similar recipe to Greer, but a little bit sweeter. It is also Fontina is a great melter, so it would be a mix of a few cheeses for sure. I like to have diversity in my grilled cheese, so a couple of different cheeses. I use butter. I know you can use like mayo or things for your ex tear, but I just use butter on the outside of the bread. And then yeah, that would probably be my ideal cheese. I like the nuttiness of Alpine cheeses. They're super nutty and they have some sweetness, so those would be my choices.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: Just a side note. So America's test kitchen did the legwork of making mayo and butter and for good measure, olive oil grilled cheeses and the results were essentially buttery. Butter one tasted the most buttery, but it was harder to spread when the butter was cold. Full fat mayo spread the easiest, but had an acidic tang from the lemon juice, and olive oil tasted too much like olive oil. So it seems that whatever you grill it with it will taste like that. So there's science. Alice Reuben again and David wanted to know. Alice asked, why doesn't my homemade mac and cheese taste cheesy? And David wanted to know. They've made a cheese sauce that tasted very grainy. Best way to make a good mac and cheese that tastes cheesy and not just milky.
Speaker 5: Less milk or less cream. I mean, just focus on the cheese, using that as your base instead of adding like I know in my world, my mom adds a lot of milk to her mac and cheese, instead of just making a cheese sauce of some kind and then adding that to the noodles. That would be the I think the best solution to making it cheesy and a nice cheese pull. Having a mixture of cheese is also having some that have more pungency, like things that might seem too strong for mac and cheese might be just the thing because when it melts, the enzymes and proteins are breaking down, so the flavor changes a bit, so it might not be as pungent once you melt it into the cheese. And then having something mild, so having something on the stronger side like an aged Alpine style cheese, and then having something softer, you know, like a mozzarella or something on that you know, super super creamy.
Speaker 1: So something pungent like an Alpine cheese plus something soft and creamy and milder. So this is a two pronged approach at least and use less milk. Think of making a cheese sauce so your noodles don't soak in a bath. Your noodles get a moisturizer of cheese, but.
Speaker 5: Then you can also add parmesan. I mean adding a little bit of parmesan. Parmesan melts really well, even though it's a hard cheese. Adding a crust with more cheese on it is something else that I would recommend, always having some kind of like bread crumb or cheesy crust. For the grainy question, that's definitely to do with the type of cheese that you used. If it wasn't that sort of high moisture, low acid that I mentioned. If it was a harder cheese, you might have a more granular texture once it melts, So that could be the reason why if the cheese was too aged or not enough moisture, that can make your cheese, your mac and cheese grainy.
Speaker 1: So use a softer cheese, less acid, less age when you're whipping up a mac and cheese, and then call me, invite me over, give me a bib and the castrole dish, and then leave me alone with it, no looking at me, no talking. What about as long as on the topic of homemade Brian Scott Earl of Gramu can zach ever ate? Carol Young and Christy Adventure wanted to know. So Carol asked, is there an easy way to make cheese at home, and how can I start doing that?
Speaker 5: So you can buy cheese making kits, which is what I would recommend to do just searching cheese making kits. So I think there's a few different companies that have high ratings and they give you all the instructions. They give you all the ingredients that you'll need, so you can just follow along and you can make mozzarella, you can make ricotta using rennet. But also to make a fresh cheese like a farmer's cheese, just like at home quick cheese. All you need is some lemon juice, like we mentioned in the beginning, and you can make cheese. So you'd heat the milk to a certain temperature, you'd add the lemon juice to it, and then it will separate, it'll make a gel, and then you have to cut the curds, cut the solid mass that it's become and then you drain out the way and you have fresh cheese. Ha done, yes, And then add salt of course.
Speaker 1: Lunar crumpet and the one and only Arni Schmidtz and Cedie vapon moon is made of cheese. Opinions. Do you get that question a lot?
Speaker 5: Not too often? I've heard it before about the moon being made of cheese, but from my knowledge, it is not made of cheese.
Speaker 1: There you go, So that's thank you for answering that my expert opinion.
Speaker 5: Yes, we actually.
Speaker 1: Did interview a moon expert, the planetary geologist and a selenologist, the wonderful Raquel Nuno. And I'm going to play you a clip from her episode because every time I see the moon, I freak out now because of her, Because of this.
Speaker 9: One of the cool things that I think when I think about the moon and the impact that caused it was there was so much energy that collected from that original impact that formed the moon that the entire moon was just a magma ocean. So that's yeah, just imagine the whole moon. No, just magma. Yeah, so that's what that's the prevailed theory, and we have evidence from that. So it's just lava. The whole thing is just.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the moon was a lava ocean. It was a lava ocean. Here we are thinking it's cheese, but at one point it was habanero. Okay, So Becky, this sassy seagrass scientist, and Hanna b and Sinclair want to know Becky asked any basic tips or guidelines for how to tell if a delicious cheese should be exorbitantly expensive or if Whole Foods is just fooling us all like bang for your buck, because cheese can get pricey, Yes, but especially if you don't know what to get.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: Tips, there are certain cheeses that will be more expensive overall, sheep's milk cheeses are often more expensive. She produce less milk for a less period of time, and there are just less sheep on the planet. So when you just think about the availability of the milk and process that takes to create the cheese, the labor, and all those things that can raise the price. So anything made up sheep smolk is oftentimes more expensive. And then things that are aged longer can be more expensive. So if they're over a year old, that means that for over a year, some human somewhere was taking care of this cheese, and that human needs to be paid for for the work and the stoaree to the cheese, So all those things will add up over time. Smaller producers will also probably be some of the more expensive cheeses. Now, if you don't know your producers, you might not know that Blakesvielle Creamery is a small producer out of Wisconsin, but it is, and so therefore the cheese might be a different price than sort of some other larger producers just because of how supply and demand works in that respect. So educating yourself on where the cheese is coming from, you know, doing a quick Google search on your phone. If you're like, well this seems really expensive, check it out. See if it's something that you're interested in learning more about and trying. And then quantity. Oftentimes people buy cheese with their eyes and not with the reality that you are you really gonna eat all that cheese, And so if you buy a big hunk of it, it's going to be more expensive than a small piece. You might be nervous to talk to a manger. But if there's only a huge piece of cheese and you want half of it, just ask them to cut it in half for you, and they should be able to do that for you.
Speaker 1: See, then you get fifty percent off because you only bought.
Speaker 3: Half as much cheese exactly.
Speaker 1: I think. Also when you understand what goes into it, then you're like, this is worth the price because this person had to baby this cheese, which is great context for really appreciating something of quality.
Speaker 5: Or maybe they only have like fifty animals and they have that small herd of animals and only make twenty wheels of cheese a week and that's all they sell. You know, that's going to add to it too.
Speaker 1: Right, And on that topic, totercic Leson wanted to know, so all those different flas that are in cheeses, where do they come from? Is it something that cheesemakers add? Is it wild yeasts? Is it milk from different kinds of cows, goats or sheep? Do the animals lend a lot of that flavor profile?
Speaker 5: Great question and the answer is yes, So what the type of animal that it is, what they're eating all will impact the flavor of the cheese. There are certain breeds of cows that have more fat in their milk, there are certain breeds of goats that have more protein. You know, there's different characteristics and different breeds and so depending on what type of cheese you're looking to make, the breed will add to that experience if they're being conscious of that sort of attribute of the cheese.
Speaker 1: And just a side note, the sweet looking kind of tawny cows and the alps that look way better in a flower crown than anyone at the red fair. They're most likely an older breed of a brown Swiss cow, and they make a fair amount of milk. It's high and fat in protein. They're great for rich alpine cheeses. Now, the patchy black and white dairy cow is a cross breed and it yielded way more milk than other types of cows, and it really rose to popularity. In the mid eighteen hundreds. There was a guy named Winthrop Chenery from Massachusetts and he heard that a ship had a cow on board so the sailors could have milk. And Winthrop was like, whatever that is, I want one of them. Give me one of them cows. And now when you drive past black and white bovines, you point in say cows. And some people asked about ethics and cheese. Stacy cow Sam both first time question askers wanted to know Stacy asked. When they were in grad school, they took a dairy class. They visited dairies around western Pennsylvania and they were shocked at the differences. Some allowed calves to stay with mom, some were immediately taken away. What's the best way in terms of an animal's experience to enjoy cheese? Is it different animals?
Speaker 5: Is it different producers that that's a great question. It goes into again the story behind the cheese and how it's being made. There are positives and negatives to both situations where the animal stays with the mom or the animal leaves for cheesemaking. And if you are an artisan, specially produced cheesemaker, you know, looking to the environment carrying by your animals, then you're not removing the animal from the mom. You're waiting till the animals done nursing, and then the moms still lactating. So cals specifically will lactate for a year, whereas the calves won't consume the milk for the entire year they're moved to grass. And so then you have this excess milk that has nowhere to go, and so since it's so nutrous, you make cheese out of it. And that's sort of the beginnings of cheesemaking. In a nutshell, they had too much milk, so they started making cheese.
Speaker 1: For more on the history of cheese, you can listen to part one of this episode. That's the order they go. In a more esoteric question, Marisa Scott, Sheldon, Mallory Aby and Pink Puppy wanted to know. In Scott's words, we got to talk about the cheese rolling down the hill thing. Have you heard about this? A double Gloucester cheese? What is cheese rolling?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's one competition where they have one wheel of cheese and they roll it down the hill and people run after it and whoever gets to the cheese first, people fall, People roll all the way down this hill.
Speaker 10: Everyone's on their bomb at first. I've watched all the videos. Everyone's on their bomb when you know they're so scared at the top that's where they go wrong. Yes, that is your moment to strike, bearing in you know, have a right top where everyone's at the most skate, that's when you need to strike.
Speaker 1: That was English, and I don't know what he was saying, But that's okay because I will never do this. I thought this competition might be like a pastoral affair with a cheese wheel bounding through alpine flowers, maybe scattering lazy bumblebees. But this shit is able blood bath. This is this is not okay. So there's a place called Cooper's Hill in Gloucester, England, and it's a cliff. Let's be so for real right now. It is a cliff with grass. It is a two hundred yard off ramp into hell at a forty five degree average angle, but some estimates have the initial drop sixty degrees. That is so steep. Nearly every year, for what's estimated may have been hundreds of years, people who have no amigdalas vault themselves down to death grade in pursuit of a single wheel of double Gloucester cheese. And what I'm guessing is respect and lifelong orthopedic issues. I don't know what they're after, but I think that cheese costs like fifty bucks, so it's clearly not just the cheese. But when the cheese falls, when it's released and it starts to roll, everyone's lined up waiting to chase it. It looks like if you had a bunch of tiny people on a green bedspread and then you suddenly shook the bedspread. In all of those ty people somer salted violently or simply tumbled skull over ankle for nearly two football fields until a line of rugby dudes at the bottom caught their charging, bloodied, injured bodies. Whoever gets the wheel is not the spectacle. Someone gets the wheel, nobody cares. They are a footnote. But what we are here to see is a live human bodies flying like rag dolls and getting their bones disjointed.
Speaker 3: It would be.
Speaker 1: Impossible to calculate the number of concussions this event has produced. One guy this year, twenty twenty five, caught so much air doing a triple front flip at what's been estimated at sixty miles per hour. He landed with a bounce, and I couldn't tell if he was one or two people, because the limbs didn't make sense. No one's wearing helmets. At best. They might be wearing an inflatable dinosaur costume which pops the instant the cheese wheel. Rolls of spectators catch this stuff from every angle and it just simply does not feel real. Evidently it didn't feel real for that one guy this year, because by some miracle of cheese, that man survived, and he told people he was on mushrooms and he didn't feel a thing. Now, the Wikipedia for this event, and again another gem I just have to quote verbatim for you. Whoever is updating Wikipedia pages for cheese is really at the top of their game. But this says about this cheese competition that Canadian competitor Delaney Irving won the Ladies Race in twenty twenty three despite finishing unconscious and only learning of her victory in the medical enclosure. So the neighborhood around Cooper's Hill, it gets jammed with tourists, cell phones strained for a glimpse, and ambulances are clogging the streets to take people away every year. The lucky ones that don't ride away in the metavac chopper that's standing by. And this tells me two things. Okay, people love cheese and countries with nationalized healthcare systems produce braver individuals. Now, if this is giving you the itch to fling yourself down a mountain for the glory of the wheel, please first listen to our episodes. We have one on concussions and traumatic brain injury, as well as one about why your knees hurt and why you don't want to have to get surgery on them.
Speaker 5: Whoever gets their first wins the wheel of Cheese. But there are also competitions where you're rolling the cheese like the bowling ball to see how far it rolls. So there are all sorts of things, and this has to do with the make process right. It can't be wobbly. It can't be lopsided for these competitions. So if it does get pretty competitive, is.
Speaker 1: It covered in wax or does it just pick?
Speaker 5: Okay, Yes, these are covered in wax.
Speaker 1: Yes, I wasn't sure if they were like grass fed just by virtue of rolling down a lot. I almost didn't finish this episode on time because I watched too many glocester cheese competition ragged all people, even though it hurt me in the throat to even watch the videos. Also in part one, Kiara and I chatted about American cheese, how it's not a cheese and that it has the same anticoagulant sodium citrate usually as blood donations get to keep them from clumping. So let's revisit that a lot of people had questions about American cheese. Kiara and H wanted to know your opinions on it TV thirty three. Let's settle this once and for all. And I know we covered this a little bit in part one, but Sarah burg Culter I thought had a great question first time, ask her why is American cheese so good on burgers but so crappy everywhere else? What is it about American cheese? Why is it? Why is American cheese.
Speaker 5: Like American cheese like craft singles? We're talking here?
Speaker 1: How did it pop up into the cheese scene to say, I'm sort of cheese but not really cheese, but it's also good on some stuff.
Speaker 5: I mean, the history behind American cheese goes back to a time where there weren't refrigeration, or there weren't ways to store. Artists and cheese people were making cheese losing it, and so scientists figure out a way to mosify the cheese into this product and make its shelf stable. That was the first step to it, and then from there they began to create these other cheese products again, like vegan cheese. To me, it's not considered a cheese, it's a cheese product. It's its own thing. I eate it on burgers. I'll eat American cheese in certain situations because it tastes really good, it melts really well. It's great on a girl cheese, it's great anywhere it's melted. But it's very different than artisans, especially made cheeses that are similar in style to that make process.
Speaker 1: I agree with you that it's great on a grilled cheese. I think that vegan cheese is too melts in a way that is like, okay, it's really bouncy in a way, you know what I mean. It's like taffy, kind of a kind of fluffy. But speaking of American cheese, and speaking of America, Sophie A said, can we please talk about Reagan's cheese caves? I hope asked, please tell us about the cheese caves. Nicole Campbell, first time question asker, Is there really a vault of cheeses under the United States? Have you heard of this? I don't know where this story came from, but I was talking to my nail tech Shelby, who I love, and she was like, I said, I'm interviewing a cheese expert, and she said, that is so exciting. Are there cheese caves under the United States? And I was like, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but I need to ask about this. What's going on.
Speaker 5: Yes, there is a cheese reserve. It's part of the government's way to make sure that we don't run out of food. So it's a reserve of cheeses that are used mostly for government funded programs for food insecurity. Oftentimes cheese is used in that respect, but it is a reserve. It's in I believe it's in Missouri.
Speaker 1: Someone asked about Missouri. Yeah, the cheese caves in Missouri. We're gonna get to those in just a moment, but first, let's donate to a cause of the ologists choosing And this week Kira chose two each part of the Cheese Duo episode, and they are the Cheese Culture Coalition, which works to create a more equitable and inclusive cheese industry for Black, Indigenous, and people of color through education and grant programs and via Cheese Culturecoalition dot org you can find out more about their programs, you can donate, or you can even fill out a form to volunteer on their committees or their fundraisers. And the second donation is going to Team UPS Building Schools in Kenya, which Kira says is a great organization run by a dear friend of hers, and they work to ensure that Kenyan children receive the education they need and provide communities with easily accessible, clean and sustainable water resources and you can find out more about them or donate at go team up dot org. So thank you to sponsors of the show for making those donations possible.
Speaker 11: When it comes to a great deal, Virgin Mobile doesn't play around introducing our new simplan price locked at fifteen euro month for life with unlimited data, calls and techs and ninety nine percent coverage switched to day at Virgin Media dot ie Virgin Media It's playtime.
Speaker 8: Tecenc supply fifteen europer month locked in while a Virgin Mobile customer twelve month contract including limited data, standard calls and texts. All ours networks offer ends Februar eighteenth, twenty twenty six. See Virgin Media dot e get value.
Speaker 2: You can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Serve up something special with our finest meal deal for two starring one main, two sides and dessert for only sixteen EU row like succulent board be approved rush Angustriploin steaks with pepper corn butter or delicious virus Chicken Parmeshama served with creamy potato gratam and our mix of rainbow root vegetables and enjoy Goozillionaire or Soldier caramel cheesecake. Can't argue with that shop in store or online tesco. Every Little helps available at most stores, prices very in express.
Speaker 4: You're on the bus an hour from home, in bumper to bumper traffic, creeping forward a few inches at a time, someone's kids are screaming, and suddenly your back is too. Luckily, Panadal extra film coated tablet are boosted by caffeine and they get to work in as little as ten minutes for powerful relief.
Speaker 3: That's more than just paracetamol.
Speaker 4: That's one for Panadal speed based on absorption data contains paracetamol.
Speaker 3: Always read the label or leaflet.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's dig into government cave cheese as it was on the minds of patrons Mike Earl of Grammeleka and Laura Fitzgerald Any Horrible full Metal Niece, Sophia A Caitlintondale, Hope, Anna Elizabeth, Kayla, Nicole Campbell, London, Noel Britney Schafis, Timmy h and Elsa Sparks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's they're caves. They're man made caves and they have rosen rows of cheese. They're not the most artisan produced cheeses from the small producers, but they're large wheels that are there to serve the people who need it, and so yeah, it definitely exists.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I had definitely heard of government cheese, and I had friends whose families had it a lot growing up. Its sustained food insecure people for decades. And government cheese also an American culture sure has become a little bit of a shorthand for having to make ends meat. But I didn't know about the caves or the timeline. So the long story less long is that in the nineteen seventies, the Carter administration helped out the dairy farmers in a recession by buying up their milk when they made too much. That way, the market wouldn't be flooded with so much milk that the price is dropped and the farmers went broke. So the government bought a bunch of the milk. How do you store millions of dollars with the milk? You make processed, velvety, tasty cheese and then you put it in temperature controlled limestone quarries. So you have to sitting around perfect for stashing a bunch of cheese. So over the years, cheese has gone into storage in case of natural disasters or sudden food scarcity. There's this big stock of cheese. But then so much cheese started to pile up it. In the early nineteen eighties, President Ronald Reagan said, let's give some of this cheese away. And still there's this in and out of buying up excess dairy and keeping it a government cheese, and the government cheese gets handed out to nonprofits and food banks and folks on welfare, food assistants, and elderly populations. For now, at least it has been. And literally, as I typed this up, as I'm about to put this episode out, tonight news broke that the Trump administration has been sitting on a store of five hundred metric tons of food meant for starving children in Afghanistan and Pakistan, but instead of distributing it to the starving children, the Trump administration has been doing nothing with it. And now it's about to expire this week and so they'll simply incinerate it. I'm not sure if this is making America great again. As even Ronald Reagan, the guy who cut more than twenty two billion dollars from social welfare programs. Was like, let's give out some free cheese to people who need it, but no, we have now reached an era of we could feed starving children, but instead let's just burn the food and the children anyway. Cheese, so Daniel Schmanel, Lizzie Martinez, Sarah Donn and Eric Easton, Mike Karen h was Gonsnight, Debbie Powers a softly boiled egg. Eileen Wang and Chelsea and her dog Charlie and Felipe Jimenez, in their words, asked what's the weirdest but successful pairing you've tried with cheese? Some people asked about cheese pairings. Donnie need Him from New Zealand said best things to eat with cheese or more unusual but yummy. In New Zealand we do a thing called mouse traps, which is bread grilled, spread with marmite, which is a yeast extract, topped with cheese and grilled again. Brian Shenanigan said, pineapple and feta together are epic pizza toppings and you will thank me later for it. Eileen Wang Samwhi's cheese puff. Both asked thoughts on cheese and apple pie, any cheese pairings that you are staunchly against or that you are an advocate for.
Speaker 5: So I'm into complimentary or contrasting flavors, so I often am drawn to adding sweetness to cheese. Cheese is really salty and often acidic, so something with a little bit of sweetness as contrasting. So it kind of makes things exciting. It makes the experience you went back and forth between salty sweet salty sweet. So with that in mind, I look to things like honeys, jams, fruits, the things that you see on chracouri boards. They're not there, and by mistake, they're there because they go really well with cheese. So those are my go to, Like when I'm just snacking, oftentimes it's just honey and cheese. I love honey and it goes with all types of cheese, and there's all types of honey too. Unusual pairings for me. Chocolate isn't super unusual, but people haven't done it before. But chocolate and cheese go really well together, specifically dark chocolate and blue cheese. Oh what again, looking at the saltiness and cheese and the sweetness in the dark chocolate. But then there's bitterness in the dark chocolate, and salt mitigates the presence of bitterness and foods. So when you add the saltiness to the bitterness, it makes the dark chocolate and more fudgy, and it just creates this really fun experience where you're having like a fudge and cheese situation.
Speaker 1: What is that Norwegian? It's almost like browned and sweetened cheese. It's called like.
Speaker 5: Gaust or ghost maybe that's it.
Speaker 1: It's almost like a toast, like a gill toast or something. My friend Cilia is from Norway. She's an amazing chef, and she'll post pictures of it and I'm like, I don't know what that is or what it tastes like what I want it. It's like caramelized.
Speaker 5: Almost, yeah, I can't pronounce it, but it's like jost, yeah, gjetost. It's like they actually caramelize the milk to create the cheese, and so it tastes like caramel.
Speaker 1: Oh, god of it, that's so good. So yeah, hay toast is made with goat's milk, but it can also be called brunos. And ask a Norwegian or a manger how you two can enjoy caramel breakfast cheese. Franz said, in Switzerland they learned that you should always have either wine or tea with cheese, so you don't get a cheese baby, I eat a bloated tom. Of course, I follow this as much as possible because I love with tea and wine. But are there other beverages to pair? I mean, we're doing a wine episode, and I know that you also advocate for like sober cheese tastings, which I think is awesome, but pairings for beverages and.
Speaker 5: Cheese definitely so for wine and beer. The most traditional sort of way of thinking about parings are light with light and bold with bold. So if you have a light, fresher cheese, then a lighter wine should pair well with it. Looking too fresh cheeses or soft ripe and cheeses like a goat smoke cheese, and like a white wine like from France, like a sanset or a lighter grape, and then looking to bolder cheeses with boulder wines or beer, so blue cheeses, goudas, AIGs, cheddars, things that have more robust flavor profiles can handle bigger flavored beverages, so you can do a dark beer or red wine, someone that has more going on because they can hold their own against one another. Other beverages that go well with cheese. Kambucha is one that I go to. It's not your go to beverage, but the vinegar and the subtle sweetness actually pairs really nicely with cheeses. Oftentimes, ones that have more of a buttery texture to them could go really nicely with cheese. But I love pairing cheese with tea. I think that that is a great combination. I don't do it enough, but that's definitely like a hot tea and a cheese is very very They go really well together.
Speaker 1: And it probably melts in your mouth a little bit if your mouth is warm warm, Yes, exactly when you're eating like chocolate and a warm beverage, it just like melts. You taste it more. And I can't believe I forgot to ask this before, but Joshua, why Y is the first time question asker. I wanted to know if there's ever been a study to confirm or disprove the effect of pasteurization on the texture the taste of cheese. Is it real or is it just potentially lethal? Hippie drek, they asked, So in part one we did discuss that people say raw milk cheese has a highly superior curd texture by some accounts, but many patrons such as Fairy Jessa, Tracy Woodard, Aaron Wood, Andy Pepper, and David wanted to know the scoop. So let's jump into it. Raw cheese. Is it better or is it hype?
Speaker 5: Great question. There's been lots of discussions about pasteurization. I don't know if there's like scientific evidence around the flavor profile, but there are. You'll get two different camps in the cheese world where people are against pastorisation and just really focus on raw milk cheeses, and then you have people who accept pastorization as a way of being in the latter where pastorization is a way of being in some ways it helps control the risks of bad bacterias getting into our bodies. So when you pasteurize milk, you heat it to a certain temperature for a certain period of time, and that kills off the bacteria, both the good bacteria and the bad bacteria. So when you're looking at the camp of mangers and cheese professionals who only go with raw milk then they're looking at that from the perspective of it's killing off the good bacteria and therefore it's killing off the flavor. So the natural flavors and the cheese are being pasteurized or removed, and then when you pasteurize the milk you have to add everything back to it. You can still have a full flavored cheese when it's pasteurized. You're just adding the cultures and the bacterias back to the kurds after you've pasteurized the milk. So I don't think that there's a right or wrong way to be, but I think having a full understanding of what pasturization is is the best way forward. Because in America, we can't have anything aged under sixty days. That's raw milk. Anything that's made with raw milk has to be aged more than sixty days for us to consume it in America. And that's because the f thinks that on day sixty one everything is fixed. So there's some you know, I hear the hippie and I hear the government interaction, but there is some safety measures that are included with it. But some things are just not super accurate, and so the F day is a little bit outdated in the pasturization rules, and hopefully we'll get that changed soon, but for now, just kind of learn to accept it and learn to appreciate the cheese that are past drives for what they are.
Speaker 1: What could be living in your lunch, you ask? So, according to a twenty twenty four piece in Scientific American titled is raw Milk Cheese Safe to Eat? Milk can become contaminated with harmful microbes like Samonella, Listeria, and E. Coli that can survive the cheese production and aging process, which is why in pasteurization they blast that milk up to one hundred and sixty degrees fahrenheit or just over seventy celsius to kill it off. But yeah, some of the tiny tasty organisms also perish, and so you get a cheese that's safer, it's more reliable, but it's maybe lacking in some of the bacterial chaos that some fromage of files really tend to prefer. But from stinky to fresh, let's talk about the squeakiest cheese. So Patron's Don w Sarah King Canadian Alia Meyers all echoed Sean O'shay's request to quote, tell me something about cheese curds. In their words, I can't believe I didn't ask the sooner Lily, Megan Moker, Aaron Danny Kirby, Lauren Cooper, Ashley Doing are a victor and several other people need to know. Lily ask why are fresh cheese curds the best? And what makes them squeak?
Speaker 5: What's up of that good question? So, to get to cheese curds, you're doing something very specific. You're not just separating the curves from the way and then cutting the curds into pieces, but then those pieces are allowed to sit and firm up, and so they they squeak. When you hold them sort of like move them around, they'll make like squeaky like rubbery kind of noises, and that tells you that they're fresh. The longer that they sit, the less likely that they'll make that noise, which is just a thing of freshness. It doesn't mean that you can't eat the curds anymore if they're they're not squeaking. But oftentimes people prefer squeaky curds over other curds, and oftentimes that's because they're more fresh.
Speaker 1: Ah, I've heard so many people from Wisconsin be like, if they don't squeak, I don't want it. And if you've never had a squeaky curd, you have not had the best curds. So it's like, I feel like I need to go to Wisconsin because I don't know I've had a squeaky curd. I can also ask my teasemonger if they can hook me up with the squeakiest curds.
Speaker 5: Because Wisconsin they're especially those producers will make curds like the same day and sell them and so you get them super fresh, like right from the creamery, and so they're yeah, they're super squeaky.
Speaker 1: Also, if that sound of the YouTube user empty race or fifty one open mouth squeaking cheese curds is making you want to find my location and harm me, please know I come in peace. And you have what's called missophonia, which is a very strong aversion to the sound of chewing or other noises, And yeah, we have a whole episode with a misophonia har and expert doctor Jane Gregory about distracting sounds and noise rage, and there are no chewing noises in that episode because I care and I promise, So if you have that congratulations, you're not alone. But yeah, fresh cheese curds they have protein and calcium structure, and it rubs on your tooth enamel and it sounds like you're chewing on a bike tire. Now, if you've never had that sensation and you need to, you can ask your cheesemonger to try to hook you up with the freshest stuff, or you can gather your family and all of your belongings and move to Wisconsin. The choice is yours. Also, speaking of your local manger, I spoke of my favor Rue, and if you ever pop in a milk farm in Eagle Rock in LA, you can tell them the ologies sencha. But speaking of Rue, I asked them what their favorite cheese is and they said, hmm. There are way too many beautiful cheeses in the world for me to pick a favorite. But here's my overly worthy thoughts on a great cheese to enjoy with some cherries or pluots during stone fruit season. So Rue says. Osu Arati is a style of firm sheep's milk cheese. And don't worry about spelling that. We linked it on our website. It starts with an oss don't worry about it, but it's made exclusively in the Pyrenees, and they wish that it had way better name recognition in the States, so again we'll link it. It's o ssau dash ir At y Okay, so that's one reason it doesn't have name recognition because what are those letters. Either way, Rue says that they usually try to recommend this one to people who know that they like manchego and they want to try something a little different because it's so good. And Rue says that O su Arati tastes like brown butter and toasted hazelnuts, but some wheels are very floral on the nose. Others have a really savory, meaty mommy thing going on. And they said it's a good snacking cheese and it's great melted in a caesadia or a burger. And at milk farm in La Rue says it sometimes when they're really lucky, they'll get a wheel of asu erati Steve and the Steve or Estiva. Not sure it means. Wheels are made in the summer months because the farmers take their herds up to the higher mountain pastures where they can kind of beat the heat, and they can chow down on tasty summer flora. Rue says, so that Esteve or Stibay wheels tend to be intensely herbal in a really fun way, but they're really rare to find. And with that story, Ru also introduced me to the word estiv meaning summer. And there's this rare derivative estivation which carries the same idea as summering. And Rue provided me with the example every year Elizabeth and I estivate in the Hamptons, said no one ever, Rue says, so, Rue, thank you for essentially emailing me back and aside for this episode that I didn't even have to write or research. So now I know I want to get some stone fruit, and I want to try some cheese. It tastes like brown butter and nuts and flowers and it's called osu errati. And also great confirmation that cheesemongers have wonderful stories and everyone should have a friend who's a cheesemonger.
Speaker 5: So yeah, ask your manger.
Speaker 1: I gotta ask my manger. So many people we're almost we have two questions left from is that okay?
Speaker 5: I am so sorry that this is the most don't apologize.
Speaker 1: I love Marathon. Oh my god. Okay, so many people asked, I don't even know if I can list them all. Lauren Allegra asked, is it true that there's an addictive chemical in cheese or do I just use that as an excuse to eat more cheese?
Speaker 5: Another great question. So there are connections between eating cheese and the release of dopamine, so similarly to other activities, and you know, some positive, some negative, but oft times people say things like sheese is addictive, like you know, drugs or something, and that's because of really you want to eat cheese. It actually releases dopamine, which makes you happier. So that's why when people eat cheese, they're actually having a chemical reaction where their dopamine is released and they're feeling happier and more. Go lucky if you will.
Speaker 1: And yes, it's true. Any twenty twenty one paper titled Casomorphins and leander fins have diverse systemic effects spanning gut, brain, and internal organs explains that yes, the milk protein casein breaks down into casomorphins and those can stimulate dopamine in the brain, just like anything that makes you feel good.
Speaker 5: So now we just we can just use it as a positive excuse for eating more cheese, Like if you're in a bad mood, eat piece of cheese. Feeling depressed, eat piece of cheese.
Speaker 1: I think that technically makes you a psychiatrist.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, isn't it? I think so?
Speaker 1: Are you now, doctor James.
Speaker 5: I'm here to help you find your bliss with through ch Please.
Speaker 1: Well, last listener question. I think it's the one that's probably on everyone's minds. Mike, Kira and h Debbie Powers. First time question asker a softly boiled egg grass Eileen Waing, Chelsea and her dog Charlie. Debbie first time question asker wisconsinate cheese a fishionado. What are your best tips for a charcuterie board? You're going to build a charcuterie board. Maybe you've got in loss coming over for the first time. Maybe you've got a date happening, maybe it's your birthday. What are we going for?
Speaker 5: Definitely, So the big thing for me is diversity, So having a mixture of all the things. When I educator give suggestions, because I'm always asked by family and friends this question. So another great question. Look for different types of cheese, so look for those the styles we talked about, look for something soft and something hard. If it's for a small gathering, just two cheeses is fine, one soft, one hard. If it's for a bigger gathering and you get you know, four to five cheeses, then look for different textures, different colors, maybe one that has flavor or smoke added to it. And then from there look to how you'd pair it. So what do you want to eat with the cheese? And put that on the board. You can't really mess it up. But the rules of thumb are something crunchy, something sweet, something savory, something pickled.
Speaker 1: Oh, crunchy, sweet, savory, pickled, crunchy, sweet, savory, pickled.
Speaker 5: So having like olives, jam, crackers, and salami, you know, and you're good to go. Those are like the things that I look to. I don't have like set rules. I think that it can be whatever you want it to be. If it's for dessert, add some dessert items to the board. If it's for an appetizer, you know, have less than if it's for dinner. But you can't mess it up. And the biggest thing I would always recommend is ask your cheesemonger. If you don't have a cheese shop near you, Whole Foods. They have certified cheese professionals. They're actually one of the biggest supporters of the certification program that is offered, so a lot of their employees become certified. So if you don't see them back there, there's someone there. They can help you. So definitely just ask for support in that way or reach out to me.
Speaker 1: Own your Funk as well. Right, people can follow you and see when you're doing events.
Speaker 5: Yes, Own your Funk is my business name.
Speaker 1: Is there a hard thing about cheese? What is the hardest part of your job? And I will ask you your favorite, but your least favorite thing about cheese mongering or your least favorite cheese.
Speaker 5: I don't have a least favorite cheese. I never never could do that to a cheese. I think just the sanitization and the cleaning aspects of the industry. You know, cheese is alive and so it's very vulnerable and it needs a lot of TLC, especially if it's in your home refrigerator. You know, you have to take care of your cheeses people. If you don't, you have C mold on them. The same thing goes and when you work in a cheese shop. You have to take care of these cheeses every day and clean them and make sure every surface is always clean. And in between your cheese, you have to clean your surfaces, clean your knives. So there's lots of sanitation that goes into cheese as a profession. So that's probably the least favorite thing that I have to do.
Speaker 1: Is it true that you should store your cheeses in the paper that came in and not a ziplock? Is it better to let your cheese breathe so it doesn't get too moist.
Speaker 5: Definitely leave the cheese in the paper that it comes in and rewrap it if you can. If you get a piece of cheese that comes in plastic, then you might want to find new wrapping for that, in which case you can wrap it in. What I would suggest is wrapping in parchment paper and then putting that piece of cheese into a plastic bag. You don't have to steal the bag. You can just leave the bag opened. That just gives a little bit extra protection. But you still want to have some airflow just so because again the cheese is alive, you don't want to suffocate it when things are wrapped in plastic, they're actually being suffocated, so we do it for esthetic reasons more than the health of the cheese. So definitely want to get rid of the plastic if you can. And then number one will always be cheese paper. So if you want to buy a cheese paper, you can buy it online. Formaticum is a great company that you can buy cheese paper from other companies as well that you can find or beeswax is another one. So beeswax, the lines of beeswax so you can buy are great for cheese as well.
Speaker 1: Oh like cloths that are almost impregnated with treete. Oh and also great host gift. Definitely, if you've got to go to someone's house, you bring them some cheeses and some of those perses. I always am like, dude, what should I bring? And in some parts of the country it's like, of course you bring a host gift, and in others, like in California, people like, you know, it brought some beer, you know, like we're sweet, sweet idiots over here. But favorite thing about being a certified cheese professional an aphromologist.
Speaker 5: I think the network of people. I think my favorite thing is that I get to be and work with some amazing people and some amazing animals and farms, and I'm really passionate about the land and the agricultural aspects of the industry. So to be able to know that my contributions are going towards the betterment of farms and animals and people make it all worth it. And then I get to know them as my family and friends, and so that just intensifies the feeling of joy and the happiness I get to feel when I'm selling the cheeses or when I'm tasting cheese with people for the first time and they're like, Wow, this is amazing. That just puts me over the moon. Nothing makes me more happy than just sharing the love of cheese with others.
Speaker 1: It puts you over the cheese moon.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, the cheese.
Speaker 1: This has been a dream come true, dream come true. Best homologist in the biz.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And this couldn't not be a two parter. I mean it's rare that I go into it being like, do you have several hours to talk to me?
Speaker 5: That's what I do talk about you O day. So this is just a regular day in the.
Speaker 3: Office for me.
Speaker 5: I loved it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we asked a salt of the Earth Person two episodes worth of cheesy questions, and thank you so much Kira for being here not only this week, but last as well. Thank you for letting me interview you for nearly two hours. You can follow Kira and learn more about her work LinkedIn the show notes or at our website aliwar dot com, slash Ologies, slash Fromology, or you can follow her via ownyrfunk dot com. And donations went to the Cheese Culture Coalition and Team Ups building schools in Kenya, and we've got those linked in the show notes as well. We are at Ologies on Instagram and Blue Sky. I'm at Ali Ward on both. If you need any kid friendly episodes, you can check out Smologies anywhere you get podcasts. Ologies Merch is available at ologiesmerch dot com. Thank you patrons of the show for all of your great questions that you submitted via Patreon dot com, slash Ologies. Aaron Talbert admin's Orologies podcast based group. Aveleen Mallick makes our professional transcripts. Noel Dilworth arranges time as a scheduling producer. Susan Hale as our managing manger and director of all Thingsologies. Editors are Machcedes Maitland of Maitland Audio and lead editor of this One with a sharp brain but a mild manner is Jake Chafy. Nick Thorburn made the theme music. And if you stick around to the very very end of the episode, I tell you a secret and I will make this one short because I feel like my sides were long. But this is only You're only going to hear about this if you maybe live in La. But there is a bar called Shimsham. My friend Aubrey had her birthday party there and I went there and Number one, they have some sort of slushy situation with a beverage which is tasty. But the part that surprised me is Shimsham has a photo booth and it is some of the best lighting I have ever seen anyone in. I don't know what kind of magic their photo booth has. I don't know how their ring light is set up. I don't understand what's going on. But we were like, how does everyone look so glowing and flawless in this? And sure enough I looked it up and people are like, if you get yourself to Shimsham, make sure to take some glam shots in that photo booth. I don't know how they do it. Shipsham. If you're listening, email me what do you have going on? Okay, bye bye.
Speaker 7: Pacadermatology, homeology, crypto zoology, lithology, technology, meteorology, paratology, apology, seriology, selnology.
Speaker 5: Fold in the cheese? What does that mean?
Speaker 3: What is fold in the cheese mean?
Speaker 11: When it comes to a great deal, Virgin Mobile doesn't play around introducing our new simplan price locked at fifteen euro month for life, with unlimited data, calls, an text and ninety nine percent coverage. Switch today at Virgin Media dot Ie Virgin Media, it's playtime.
Speaker 8: Tcz's pl fifteen europer month locked in while a Virgin Mobile customer twelve month contract includes unlimited data, standard calls and texts to all Irish networks. Offer ends February eighteenth, twenty twenty six. See Virgin Media dot e.
Speaker 5: Get value you can't argue with.
Speaker 2: At Tesco with their amazing club card prices, have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get the finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro. Like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey and do ya or Margarito wood fired pizzas, served up with their crispy, chunky chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistachio for dessert. Can't argue with that shop in store or online. Tesco Every Little Helps available in most stores, prices varying.
Speaker 5: Express