Speaker 1: Oh, guess what Dad is.
Speaker 2: Guess what Dad is?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 1: Anybody I heard.
Speaker 4: With epic with our show, you're gonna ruling it except for similar fee pursuing it huddled out Shaw shank through the sewer. Kid, Now what you're lying at the Eagle. Yeah, we're doing it. Three o'clock on the dock. Got a habit for my house, a gold status. How we'd starting to get craddic shows that up multiplied like a rabbit. Tune in, zone out, crank it up, beat the habit.
Speaker 1: I'm on hang out with the friends, rocking on the lady my hum going on by Spinkin talking on the radio. It's time to to this faskin.
Speaker 5: Oh baby, Hen we.
Speaker 2: Go, Kat to stream up and Skin.
Speaker 4: All up mom radio.
Speaker 1: Yes, Hello and welcome everybody. This is the world famous Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one the Eagle In. Today we are broadcasting live from the Dallas Mavericks draft party at the American Airline Center. We're gonna do our show from three to six. It's brought to you by k Post Company. Very excited about this. They stepped up there sponsoring our draft extravaganza today and it's it's fun to be in the arena. It's fun to be here around all this energy. Doors are going to open here at five point thirty. Fans will be able to flood into the AAC and come watch the draft festivities here as the Dallas Mavericks have the number one pick. More on that later, but I do want to just set the tone for this thing and introduce the crew who's here all hands on deck on remote today at the American Airline Center. I'm Ben Rogers, and I'm joined by my close personal homie since nineteen eighty two. We grew up together in Richardson, Texas. Given up for Jeff skin Wade.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every time I hear set the tone, I think of that guy in that bear mask fame. It's so good. Not the tone that down. You know, it was a great moment for the entire world to enjoy. But what a horrible thing to do to that kid. Just unbelievable. Hi, Ben, Happy Draft Day. Oh dude, I'm so excited. I can't wait to get into all of this. But you're you're not only doing our show, uh you will? You will jump away from our radio show up here at the American Airline Center We're in section one oh one, kind of the middle of the arena, on one of the baselines, looking down at center court where there's a nice TV set. Oh look, and so I look at that jib arm I was cold skin, and I was like, hey, man, where do I park here? And even though it's thirty seven emails about it, I was like, yeah, I don't know where to park. And he told me where and then I go, okay, are you here yet? And he goes, yeah, but I'm parking in a very special place. I'm a TV star, I'm parking where the players usually park. I don't know. We'll have time to talk to you today, That's what he said to me. Uh so, but I'm looking at this set. You will leave our show and go do three hours of live television tonight. Yes, and it's going to be simulcast right here on the goal thanks to our friends at KPO. So it's Draft day, were the home of Dallas Mavericks basketball, and so we're doing our show from the arena, like you mentioned, from three to six tons of Cooper flag and Maverick coverage. And then at six o'clock, MAVs TV is doing a television show it's a party here at the American Airline Center. They have not had the number one pick in the draft since nineteen eighty one when they drafted Mark Aguire. That was before the lottery even existed. The lottery didn't come into being for another five or six years later, and it started with Patrick Ewing going to the New York Knicks. But in the entire history of the lottery starting, and when the lottery started, do you guys know how many teams there were in the lottery? H No, any guests say, good, guess? Seven seven seven teams in the lottery. And then it changed over time, and because there were so many people that were convinced that the lottery was rigged, they started doing all the lottery all these different ways. And in that entire history, the Mavericks had no ever moved up, not even moved up in the lottery, much less get the number one pick. And they got the number one pick in a year where a transition or not trans Thank you, transcendent player, you should let yeah, just hanging out. Why did we throw him a lifelong cra I don't know, y'all are sweet? Uh? And so they get him, I mean last year Atlanta went from number ten to number one, and they got a decent player. It didn't get a franchise changing player. It's such a big deal that our whole extravaganza to day is music free. We're just going to do our show for three hours and then get into three hours of the MAVs draft simulcast coverage. That's gonna be awesome. But also joining us today the pride and joy of Only Texas. You know, he had a couple of good years hitting kind of in the middle to late part of that only JV batting order, little backup utility infield action on that JV squad, Kevin kat Turnay, we.
Speaker 2: Did enough people for a JV squad. I was on Varsiti.
Speaker 5: Uh three, we have six in the Metroplex eighty seven.
Speaker 3: There's no way.
Speaker 5: It's only eighty seven, significantly south of the Heat Dome. Okay, Up, if you go up north and to the northeast, they're having some problems now politically, I would say up in New York, there's a big story. It's Harvey Epstein is leading the primary. He Harvey Epstein leading Anthony Wiener and I'm paying attention to this, like maybe more than the NBA draft.
Speaker 2: Harvey Epstein, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if I know Harvey Epstein.
Speaker 5: He's a real guy, and he is dunking on Anthony Wiener, who's back now.
Speaker 1: His brother Jeff used to hang out with Wiener.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, it's a real guy.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: He's got the worst name that you could have outside of the Ravens played by play guy Jerry Sandusky. That was a tough deal for him. That is tough when that'll happen. But yeah, he's both one part Weinstein and one part Epstein with none of the criminal stuff that we know.
Speaker 1: We know, right, uh So keep us abreast on that. Kevin New York listener, I can have one more piece of New York news like this. Have y'all seen the new picture picture for the Mets.
Speaker 2: His name is a Dickie love Lady.
Speaker 1: That's not a real.
Speaker 2: His first name is Richard, but he goes by Dickie.
Speaker 1: He doesn't go by dick No, Dickie love Lady, Love Ladies. Fantastic. It's the name and effect sounds like for Electric six. For it does sound like Electric six. A redneck dick love Lady. Also joining us today is a lady who is a phenomenal guitarist. She can be heard uh in the popular local Nirvana cover band Oatmeal Pizza. She's also the only really good thing and redeeming thing about this dumbass show. Christina k Red a little Baby corn Bread Racked.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, I still say blanket in my head when you say that.
Speaker 1: A hard time not saying it. I'm like, is it Blincoln or not? Is the name of the band. When are you guys performing again? If I might ask.
Speaker 3: This Friday night? Then at Club Dotta. Okay, we're playing with Van Damn as well. Are you all gonna do any Nirvana songs?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, every every song but one will be a Nirvanica cool?
Speaker 1: Is it a mystery? Are you glad to say what the other song is?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta show up and see what.
Speaker 1: Okay, is it gigantic? No? Man, have you given that up?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I haven't given it up.
Speaker 1: Okay, is it cherry bomb? It's not cherry Is it cherry pie? By warrant?
Speaker 5: It is not.
Speaker 3: But maybe at the next show we'll do that.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: If you guys, the guys, you guys did cherry Pie, I'd be so glad great?
Speaker 2: Is there an acoustic set beforehand from John Claude?
Speaker 1: Oh? I like that question.
Speaker 2: Not that I know of him. I haven't seen him in many action movies.
Speaker 1: All the steroids just made his whole body pop. I think he's doing French love films now. By the way, the big story of the day is the MAVs draft. The second big in the NBA draft. Second biggest story is the liver King in trouble. We'll get into that later. Huge. How has that impacted the last twenty four hours of you guys watching liver King meltdown? Man, I didn't know what happened until you guys told me, and I still don't know that it happened, So it hasn't impacted me a lot.
Speaker 5: I'll be one hundred percent honest for a show that's going to do this story a little bit later in the shot, I don't know any of.
Speaker 2: The details yet.
Speaker 5: Okay, I did see the mugshot and he's not holding up well, yeah, just to subscribe to his diet and need all those weird cook to pus and stuff.
Speaker 1: I like watching it because it's this huge, ripped guy with like a Viking helmet on and he's just eating raw beef testicles. I'm like, yeah, sure, I'll watch this. Why what's wrong with this? You guys? Let me know when he's turned into Mickey Rourke and he is, and so over the last I don't know, forty eight hours, he started melting down and really seemed like a mental health distress call, and he started calling out Joe Rogan. I don't know what their beef is. He started threatening Joe Rogan and then he got in his car and drove to Austin to meet Joe Rogan while he's making threats and the police were like, yeah, you can't do that. Why not just have Bernie Sanders kick his ass. He's hanging out with Joe Rogan right now. Yeah. So anyways, we'll have more on that once we read about it. But man, the big story of the day the MAVs are I have the number one pick, They're getting Cooper flag, and man, I don't know where the full metroplex is with all this, where everybody stands, But for me, I'm over the Lucas stuff. I'll never fully I'm able to compartmentalize my anger in the trade. Do I think it was a good trade? Hell? No, I think it's the worst trade I've ever seen in the history of trading, and whether it's sports or lunch room trade and the sandwich for a banana, any trade that's ever happened in the history of mankind. This might be the worst one of those. But that said, the drug that I love most when it comes to sports is hope. Hope is hope is better than anything. It's even it's almost better than contending because the promise of being able to contend and having a big winning window open. The thing about Luca that was so great, he was our wonder boy right he was young. They had a ten fifteen twenty year window. If you look at the magical you know nature in which Dirk spent twenty one seasons here. But you know the hope of what was to come, knowing you had one of the unicorns in the basketball universe universe. You know, even if the MAVs that ended up with the number two pick, I'd still be pissed off right now about Luca. But they're not number two. They somehow lucked into getting the number one pick in this draft in a year where it's a transcendent player, one of the best all around number ones to come out since Anthony Davis or you could even say sence Zion, but an undisputed number one, like his sophomore year of high school, the thought was he's the number one guy in his class, and then his junior year, senior year college he stayed number one. Yeah, sometimes the guy starts his number one and ends up ninety eight. He was number one as a sophomore, and yep, number one now and going number one in the draft, and so he's he's can't miss. And so I could be angry about the Luca trade, and I don't want to tell anyone how to feel. I don't begrudge anyone for feeling however they want to feel. I know some people will never come back to the Mavericks. I was wondering. I didn't know if I was going to be a Maths fan anymore. I bought Lakers gear, I went through it. We're all about that's similar to the time you bought the Joe Bond handa jer That's actually a true story. Yeah, and I regret it, and I hate that you brought it up on air. I'm probably gonna sue you.
Speaker 5: I didn't even know that one, like he apologized a couple of years later he bought the one.
Speaker 1: When he was a chief. That's not true. But I thought about quitting. I thought about it. You know, man, I can't do it. I'm out, I'm not in. I can't be a Maverick fan. And I've been a Maverick van since eighty. So this the ad, This, this restores hope. This is my drug. He's the youngest player drafted since Lebron. Like he's he's younger than my oldest son, who's here. By the way, he might be the youngest Maverick drafted since we got Leon Wood. No, not Leon Wood. What was his name, Leon Smith? Did you remember the guy from Chicago?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, But it's like the hope drug is back. Yeah. And so look, you're you got a player who's gonna be good for fifteen years. Yeah, who's gonna be elite, who's gonna they not only are a contender when Kyrie gets healthy, but they're a contender that just got the number one pick. And so there's a lot of that. I don't like about that trade. But I'm able to move forward, and I know not everybody is. Did you see Lebron talking about Cooper Flagg calling him a dog and talking about how hard he goes and yeah, but the specific thing I was talking about was he's like he's sufforded a situation. I was not, Like Lebron went to a team where I think their second best player might have been Donielle Marshall. He was like, man, he's going to a team with three Hall of famers. Think about, Yeah, there's three guys on the Dallas Maverick right now that are Hall of Famers. There's two guys he's gonna be playing with that are former number one picks. Okay, and so he's coming into an organization where all you have to do is look at. The thing I would compare it to is look at how suddenly the entire NBA changed the way they felt about PJ. Washington Junior. Like, it's just so different when you're in a good organization with great players. And I'm not taking shots at Charlotte, but they've been bad for a long time and they're having a tough time getting out of it, and so that has a negative effect on everybody. And so PJ. Washington Junior gets here and then suddenly everyone's like, oh, yeah, I remember why he was a late lottery pick and such a hot. Wow, this guy could do everything. It's like, yeah, because he's playing with great players. This is why super teams formed. Kevin Durant Lebron James like, Man, I don't want to have to do every single thing myself. It'd be badass to play with another great player like Magic and Bird did. And so it's like when you come into a situation that he's coming into where they're asking him, hey, be our fourth best starter on a team that has championship aspirations, that's very liberating, right, And he has a chance to learn from elite players how to go be a franchise changing player. He doesn't have to go figure it out next to Donnielle Marshall. He gets to come and immediately be with two guys that are franchise changing players that can teach him how to do it. And team building wise, it used to be about all right, man, can you get two superstars? And then obviously you look at the Miami he let's you get three superstars and that idea. Now, this idea of building a team with depth. Look what Oklahoma City is doing. There's a lot of you know, there's teams out there now that all right, we look at Indiana like just guy after guy after guy who's good and can contribute. Right that, you know, if you were going to try to acquire Cooper Flag to a team that already had two overall number one picks, that would cost you your whole cap. He's gonna make what fourteen million or whatever somewhere in there. And so they're just team building wise. You know they could they still may make other trades, but right if you keep PJ and you know you can't, Like you got all these guys, You've got so much depth. Do you all want to talk about the Kyrie thing that happened last night? I do, But I do want to ask Kat and Christina how they're feeling about everything, because I know you guys love Luca like we all love Luca. So Christina, how are you doing emotionally with all of this today?
Speaker 3: I don't think I'll be fully over the Luca thing. I will say I am excited. I am very excited for this day, but I will not fully be over it until we actually, like officially get Cooper Flag like he is actually with our team and wearing a Mavericks jersey. And then when I see them play the first game altogether, I think that's when I'll finally be.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, take a deep breath.
Speaker 3: Everything's going to be okay for the next what fifteen twenty years hopefully worn that.
Speaker 1: Do you guys remember what you thought? And you may have watched it live, you may have not, But do you guys remember what you're thinking as you're watching the first half of that Rockets Mavericks game. When he took, I was furious, and then I was cheering very loudly, going, oh my god, we're so good. Am I allowed to feel this way when they were When the second seed in the West couldn't get a shot off, it was.
Speaker 5: Pretty wild when Ad played to the crowd, Yeah, that was huge. Meanwhile, on the other TV, I was watching some golf. It was really a good tournament. I think that was one of the Hawaii tournaments.
Speaker 1: Was really good. But that Ad immediately got hurt, which complicates the discussion. But kt where are you with everything?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I'm in a lot of places.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Personally, I don't like that there's no surprise, like nothing's gonna top the twenty eighteen draft, and we were alive on the.
Speaker 1: Air doing the show, and we were as it was going down.
Speaker 5: We had Donnie Nelson on the show and he's making jokes about we're gonna draft eight and even though eight and was going number one, and little did we know that trade mechanisms were already happening. And then we got that reporter from Atlanta on it was huge. Oh, like was breaking it kind of that the Mavericks are going to trade to get Luca. And the other thing I'm really thinking about a lot today is I am excited that Cooper Flagg will be wearing a Mavericks hat when he's drafted, because I do think it's a real bummer that Luca had to wear an Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Hawk's hat and his draft picture.
Speaker 1: I still think of him as a Hawk.
Speaker 5: It's really outside of letting big trades happen before game seven of your finals. It's really one of the dumbest things that the league has going right now that we can't just make it clear who's pick is who's.
Speaker 1: You don't like that a team in the finals was making trades after like games three.
Speaker 5: It's not my favorite and I think we could just all learn some lessons from some other leagues because it's just not a smart way to do business.
Speaker 2: It's really dumb.
Speaker 5: You know how many nine year olds are going to be and confused tonight about who's getting drafted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you brought up nine year olds because here's one of the things that I've noticed about discourse public conversation about sports. It's run by social media, okay, and things can appear bigger than they are because of social media, and social media is mostly run by young people, younger people that don't have all this perspective. Here's how you can tell. They'll name the greatest mavericks of old time and not one of them played before twenty ten. Right, And you're like, okay, I get it. You know your world is your world. But I want everybody And I tried to bring this up during the trade because everyone started talking about, well, who the addlsons are and Dumont and how they don't care and all this stuff. I was like, I want everybody to remember that. In nineteen ninety six, the team was run by Ross Pero Junior. It was a real estate development and he took a land developer gave him the job of GM. He traded Jason Kidd and then told the newspaper it's not rocket science. So to act like this is some thing, Oh my god, And I think like this the sneaker salesman, oh my god, like dude a real estate developer traded a future Hall of Famer and said it wasn't rocket science. This happened to this franchise. So it's like, in the moment, it's brutal. I get it, we're emotional about this stuff, but they have a tendency. Life has a tendency to move on. I'll be cooking at the story this is.
Speaker 5: I'm glad to sell this because the nineties MAVs were so bad and it was maybe my favorite thing happening, the idea that the three J's were going to bring us somewhere, and only we didn't get every MAVs game on TV and every being so mad. The Mavericks were the second game of the doubleheader, playing against the Lakers on TNT, and the first game went to overtime, so that means they didn't get to the MAVs game until like ten forty five, and I could watch a fifteen win MAVs team get smoked by the Lakers, and I was really excited for that, So like, we've got it really good here and have had it really good for a long time. I didn't kind of forget what the nineties were like with this team, because Jesus, that was horrible.
Speaker 1: They were the second worst franchise in the entire decade of any sport. Yeah, any sport. Brutal. Well, this is a different time, it's a different day and age, and contender is getting the number one pick. That number one pick expected to be Cooper Flag kind of a no brainer. We are broadcasting from the American Airline Center thanks to k Post Company. They did the roof at the AAC, globally Field and at and T Stadium roofing, waterproofing and solar solutions. They're really really good about that. We appreciate those guys sponsoring our draft extravaganza. We're gonna do our show with no music today from three to six live from the AAC. Then we're gonna hand it off to the MAVs simulcast of the draft. All of that happening tonight right here on ninety seven point one, The Eagle