Speaker 1: Full trial audio. Everything hurt in court, no silences to skip.
Speaker 2: May I proceed yourana, yes, please, Diana before the court today we have the matter of Commonwealth for USUS. Lindsay Clancy, MISSUS Clancy is present. She is represented by Attorney Kevin running Down.
Speaker 3: The Commonwealth is.
Speaker 2: Represented by Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Sprague and assistant District attorney she had in Buckingham.
Speaker 4: All right, good morning, council, right, good morning, miss Clancy. Council you see it briefly just for a second and then I think we'll be ready to bring the jury in.
Speaker 5: A morning.
Speaker 6: Yes, please, you want to.
Speaker 2: Be more the court today we have the continuation of the jury trial on the matter Commonwealth for US as Lindsay Clancy, MS Clancy is present. She is represented by Attorney Kevin Runnington. The Commonwealth is represented by Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Spray and Assistant District Attorney Shannon Buckingham.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, madam clerkcom Good morning everyone. Everybody had a RESTful weekend. So what I want to do is just kind of tell you first, I'm going to go through those questions, make sure everybody was able to.
Speaker 6: Follow my instructions.
Speaker 4: Then I'm going to go over what today's schedule is, and then we'll return to the comwell's presentation of evidence, all right, And so so let me ask those questions. First question, has any member of the jury red scene or over heard anything from any source about any aspect of this case that would affect your ability to be fair and impartial?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 4: Next question, is there any other serious matter or concern bearing on your service as a juror in this case that anybody needs to bring to my attention? Again, thank you for following those instructions. Now, today's schedule. Let me say the first thing about schedule. I know I haven't always been completely correct on some of the schedules we followed, but I want to just let you know those decisions about the scheduling is on me, all right, and sometimes I have to take into consideration other factors or things that are going on. So what I really wanted to tell you is that don't speculate why we might go a little late or a little early on any certain days, but certainly don't hold it against either side in regards to that the person who's making those decisions or that decision is me, all right, so you should be aware of that. So that being said, the thought is today we should go into the afternoon, all right, and if that changes, I'll let you know. So and what we're going to do at this point, we're going to return to.
Speaker 8: The commonwealths uh.
Speaker 6: And with that call off, call your next witness please.
Speaker 9: Called Michael Snyder for doctor Snyder.
Speaker 8: We just approached.
Speaker 6: Oh shoot, yeah, good morning.
Speaker 9: Done, Good morning, all right.
Speaker 10: Inquire Tony Buckye please thank you, Good.
Speaker 7: Morning, sir. Could you please tell the jurors.
Speaker 11: Your first and last name, Michael Snyder.
Speaker 7: Do you mind spelling your last name for the record, please s n Y d e Er. And how are you employed.
Speaker 11: I'm a physician at Beth Israel.
Speaker 7: And how long have you been a physician.
Speaker 11: Since nineteen ninety eight?
Speaker 7: Can you tell us a little bit about your educational background?
Speaker 12: So undergrad at UMass Amherst, I did medical school at Tufts University, and then I did my residency and emergency medicine at Boston University.
Speaker 7: And how long have you worked at Beth Israel.
Speaker 11: Since twenty fourteen, twelve years?
Speaker 7: And do you primarily work in the emergency department. Yes, I'm going to draw your attention to January twenty fourth of the year twenty twenty three. Do you recall working in the emergency department on that day, Yes, and in the evening where you made aware of multiple pediatric traumas that were coming into the emergency department.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 7: And when you are made aware of things people coming in, how does that occur?
Speaker 12: So we'll typically get a call on the MS phone that something's coming in that they want us to know about upfront, and do.
Speaker 7: They provide you with some basic background information about what's occurring or what occurred on scene and what's occurring during the transport.
Speaker 11: When possible, Yeah?
Speaker 7: And when the emergency personnel the mts or paramedics survived at Beth Israel, there were three patients correct, correct, and you were assigned to treat one patient.
Speaker 11: Correct.
Speaker 7: Do you recall which patient that was Core? And prior to EMS arriving, did you learn more about Korra's presentation and what was occurring.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So we had heard that.
Speaker 12: All three were in cardiac arrest, and the Core particular, they were still working on doing CPR and doing what we call pediatric events advanced life support, so medications to try and restart the heart.
Speaker 11: And they also mentioned that they had used what we.
Speaker 12: Call a defibrillator to shock the heart to try to restart it, and they were still doing CPR when they were arriving.
Speaker 7: And is this information important to you as you're assessing a patient coming into the emergency department.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, it's important to know.
Speaker 12: You know what things look like in the field, how long the patient might have been without a pulse or how long they may not have been breathing for, so we can kind of expect or know what injuries to look out for what we can potentially reverse.
Speaker 7: And were you aware of the age of Korra, Yes, and she was five correct, Yes, And as far as the medications that you were aware of what medications had been provided.
Speaker 12: So prior to coming to us, she had been given epernephrine, which is the primary medication we use in a cardiac arrest.
Speaker 7: And do you know how they had administered that medicine to her?
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So she had what we call an intra osseous device in her right tibia. Sometimes it's very difficult to get an IV in so we can go directly into the bone or the bone marrow.
Speaker 7: And were you aware of whether she had been intubated in.
Speaker 11: Route, so she was not intubated in route.
Speaker 7: When she arrived at the emergency department. Were you there to greet the ambulance.
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what happens when a patient comes in through the emergency department via ambulance.
Speaker 12: So when the patient first comes in, you know, we immediately have our team you know, start to sort of take over care so there's no gap. And then we also get a sign out from the paramedics and amts and any other staff that had been involved in the case.
Speaker 7: And do you and your emergency room staff then perform your own initial assessment of the patient? Yes, but what do you do for that?
Speaker 12: So initially we sort of go through our ABC's airway breathing circulation. So initially, you know, focusing on the primary things such as making sure we're getting air and oxygen into the patient, keeping the heart going, so continuing CPR at that point.
Speaker 7: And as far as Cora went, did you observe that she was breathing, so she was not breathing on her own? How about the heart? Did you observe that her heart was beating?
Speaker 10: There was no heartbreat.
Speaker 7: How about her physical appearance? What observations did you make of her physical appearance?
Speaker 12: So initially when she had come in, you know, some of the things we notice is sort of a blue tint to the skin, which typically you know, we can see when there's less oxygen or lack of oxygen. And then the other things on a quick survey is there was some areas of bruising on the neck and around the eyes called patkiah kind of little bleeding, episodes of bleeding under the skin, and I believe a small amount of blood coming from the nose.
Speaker 7: Were you able to make observations of her hands or other parts of her body?
Speaker 12: So the hands definitely had that what we call sinosis or blue.
Speaker 7: Que Now as far as the eyes, you mentioned patigi are around the face and the eyes as well as the neck. Did you notice anything else about her eyes?
Speaker 11: So the pupils were fixed and enlarged.
Speaker 7: Is why is that significant to you?
Speaker 12: So oftentimes it can when we see it coming in, it can indicate two different things. Some of the medications like epinephyrine can cause the pupils to dilate, but also if the brain is starting to become damaged or not functioning, then you start to lose initially some of the signals that would make the pupil smaller, so they tend to start to get enlarged or dilated if there's brain injury starting or has occurred.
Speaker 7: Now, you indicated that when Core arrived, she did not she was not intubated, meaning she did not have a breathing tubein. Did you and your team attempt to intubate her, yes.
Speaker 13: And.
Speaker 7: Did you do that on your own or with the assistance of other parts of the emergency department or the hospital.
Speaker 12: So we had anesthesia there after we got the phone calls or multiple patients coming in. Typically will have all the help that we could possibly need there to be able to take care of all the patients. So I had an anesthesiologist in the room with me who put the breathing tubein.
Speaker 7: In instances where an individual might have suffered sort of injury to their neck, does that complicate the insertion of a breathing tube.
Speaker 12: It can, yeah, because normally you might need to move or tilt the head to get a direct view where you can put a breathing tube in. But when there's a concern for neck injury, we stabilize it, typically with a collar or manually, so there's you don't have the ability to move the head and the neck around to try and get a better view.
Speaker 7: Once a breathing tube was put in, were you and your team able to manually give breath to Cora?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 7: Now, did you then perform an assessment, a cardiac assessment of her.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So, in addition to listening to the hard feeling for a pulse, we'll also tend to use an ultrasound machine in the room where we can kind of get a direct view of heart function.
Speaker 7: And you were aware that they had defibrillated her twice in the ambulance. Why is that significant when you're treating a patient that's in cardiac.
Speaker 12: Or ass So, when they defibrillate a patient, it's typically the hearts or might be in a rhythm where it can't pump blood, so it might be sort of out of sink or quivering, where we may attempt to use electricity to kind of shock it back into a rhythm.
Speaker 7: Once you performed the ultrasound, the cardiac ultrasound, were there any attempts made further to use a defibrillator or throughout your course of treatment with her, did you continue with various medications, Yes, and with cpr on going throughout your entire time with her.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 7: Were you consulting with any other colleagues or any other hospitals in regards to the care of Korra?
Speaker 11: Yeah, so we absolutely had.
Speaker 12: In addition to all my colleagues in the emergency room, we had intensive care physicians from Children's that were on the phone with us, kind of working through any things that may have come up in the case, also expecting that they would be received the patients from us.
Speaker 7: Is your hospital at the Beth Israel equipped to handle this type of pediatric trauma.
Speaker 12: So we can do the initial stabilization, but then we need to ship the patients out to either get our specialty care or continued in patient care.
Speaker 7: And how long did efforts in treating Kora continue So.
Speaker 12: In the emergency room roughly thirty minutes and.
Speaker 7: Fair to say that all of the efforts that you made were not successful.
Speaker 8: Correct?
Speaker 7: And at approximately seven excuse me, nineteen twenty eight or seven twenty eight, did you finally declare Cora deceased?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: Thank you, I have nothing.
Speaker 6: Further I hope questions, Thank you, Thanks, Thanks someholl calls.
Speaker 14: Doctor Andrews caparro.
Speaker 6: A right, good believe dodme?
Speaker 14: Yes, please, thank you, good morning. Can you please stay and spell your name for the record.
Speaker 15: My name's doctor Andrew Caprarro, last name CP.
Speaker 10: Rro and your date of birth please July.
Speaker 8: Ninth, nineteen seventy.
Speaker 14: What do you do for a living.
Speaker 15: I'm an attending physician in the emergency department at Boston Children's Hospital.
Speaker 14: And how long have you done that?
Speaker 13: For the last twenty six years?
Speaker 14: Can you just briefly describe for us the training and education you had to qualify for that role.
Speaker 15: I went to Providence College undergrad and then went to Brown Medical School. Subsequently, I went to Connecticut Children's Medical Center for my pediatric residency and then did fellowship training in pediatric emergency medicine at Boston Children's Hospital from two thousand to two thousand and three and have been in attending there ever since.
Speaker 14: And what's involved with being an attending at Boston Children's Hospital.
Speaker 15: It means that I am guiding the care and treatment for the patients that I am seeing during my particular shift.
Speaker 14: And are you assigned to a specific life location or area of the hospital.
Speaker 15: I'm always in the emergency department and the emergency department is broken up into different zones, of which I am sort of the primary attending for one set of rooms.
Speaker 14: I want to direct your attention to January twenty fourth, twenty twenty three. Were you working that evening?
Speaker 8: I was.
Speaker 14: And at some point in time, did you learn that a patient named Callum Clancy was going to be transported to your hospital?
Speaker 15: I did?
Speaker 14: And did you recall where he was being brought from.
Speaker 13: From Bethelville, Plymouth?
Speaker 8: I believe.
Speaker 14: And was he being med flighted to your facility?
Speaker 10: Correct?
Speaker 14: And were you provided with some information about the patient in order to prepare for his arrival?
Speaker 10: I was?
Speaker 14: And what did you learn?
Speaker 8: We have a communication that's exactly correct.
Speaker 14: Yes, at that point in time, did you work with another doctor to do more in depth testing regarding his neurological status?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 16: So at Children's we have multiple teams that come together for a patient for many patients, but for Callen.
Speaker 8: The neurology team was there from the beginning.
Speaker 16: And when in a case like this, when we see no response in an unresponsive patient, we start to have the get our neurology team, and one of the things we start to do is brain death.
Speaker 8: Testing to see if they could be what would we.
Speaker 16: Called brain dead, meaning that the brain itself is not functioning, and that even though their heart.
Speaker 14: Is still beating, How is it that someone's heart can be beating if their brain is dead.
Speaker 8: It's a really good question.
Speaker 16: So there's actually two parts to the nervous system.
Speaker 8: The one is the part that we see.
Speaker 16: The most in people when they react and they react to us and they speak and they do things.
Speaker 8: The other one is the autonomic or automatic system.
Speaker 16: And the automatic system is largely in charge of the things like the heart if the heart has not been injured.
Speaker 8: And so it was sort of continuing on.
Speaker 14: And does that give you any indication, the fact that the heart was still continuing on about where the injuries were in the brain?
Speaker 8: Yes, it does, actually, yeah, that where would that be?
Speaker 16: It seemed the cerebellum, which is that part that makes us sort of the human side of what we do, that's much more sensitive to a lack of oxygen, to an anoxic injury. And it told me that that was really where that injury was, was in that part of the brain, much less so in the.
Speaker 8: Brain stem itself.
Speaker 14: So would it be fair to say that the brain stem itself that controls those automatic responses was still functioning somewhat, but the part of the brain that made Callen Kalen was not functioning.
Speaker 8: That's exactly correct.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And what could you describe for us the brain death testing?
Speaker 16: Sure, So the brain death testing at Boston Children's is a it's a very strict testing that includes some of the things that I just mentioned.
Speaker 8: But we work with our UH it's there's a checklist that.
Speaker 16: We work on with our neurologic colleagues, and we sort of.
Speaker 8: Go through each of the what we would expect.
Speaker 16: For responses from someone and we actually then work through different of the of the nerve sets that we would expect them to respond to.
Speaker 8: We have it set up so.
Speaker 16: That there's a an ICU physician is there, and then a neurologist is there, and the neurologist and the neurology team they're the ones who perform the brain death testing.
Speaker 8: It's and then that.
Speaker 16: The test is then repeated again twenty four hours later just to make sure that there's no there's no piece of that that is different or incongruous with a diagnosis of brain death.
Speaker 14: And while the neurologist is doing this testing, are there present watching the testing and seeing the results as it happens. Is one of those breathing components.
Speaker 1: In apnea tests?
Speaker 8: Yes, it is?
Speaker 14: Yeah, And what is an apnea test?
Speaker 16: So apanea is as a word that just describes uh, not describes a lack of breathing.
Speaker 1: And how do you test that?
Speaker 16: So in a patient such as callen, what what we do and in any patient when we're doing brain death testing, what we're we we actually disconnect them from the ventilator.
Speaker 8: And the reason that we do that is we.
Speaker 16: Want to see if that autonomic system in the brain will start.
Speaker 11: To react as as as the.
Speaker 8: Carbon dioxide starts to increase.
Speaker 16: So our body makes carbon dioxide all the time, and the way we get rid of it is by exhaling, and where we breathe in oxy fresh oxygen and then we breathe out CO two. And what we what we do is we disconnect from the ventilator to see if knowing that their carbon dioxide will start to rise, and the normal response for that autonomic part of the brain would be to sort of increase breathing. That's why we breathe when we sleep, because as we go to sleep, the conscious part of our brain stops, but the autonomic part kicks in and then we breathe right through our sleep because that carbon dioxide rises.
Speaker 10: So in a.
Speaker 14: Patient who has brain death, would it be accurate to state that as the carbon dioxide level increases, the automatic response would be to take a breath to get more oxygen. But a patient who's brain dead won't do that.
Speaker 8: That's correct?
Speaker 14: And did you do all of these tests or do the neurologists do all these tests on Kalin while you observed?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 17: They did.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 14: And did he have any response to any of the physical tests where you were looking for a reflex or reaction?
Speaker 8: No, he did not, no response to any And what.
Speaker 14: Was his reaction or results on the apnea test?
Speaker 8: So the apnea a test?
Speaker 16: Again, we do one, We do all the brain testing one day, and then we wait at least twenty four.
Speaker 8: Hours for the second one.
Speaker 16: The first and what we expect with the carbon dioxide is that it will increase.
Speaker 8: We have it written in our it'll.
Speaker 16: It did all in writing for our protocol that it will increase by twenty or get to.
Speaker 8: A level of sixty. A normal CO two would be.
Speaker 16: Around forty And the first time we did that on the first day, it actually.
Speaker 8: Went to fifty nine point seven, not sixty.
Speaker 16: And again it was in our protocol as has to get to sixty or increase by twenty And I actually talked to my colleagues, including neurology. I said, I know this is very close. It's fifty nine point seven, but it's not sixty. I repeated that piece of the test later on that day to make sure that it was valid.
Speaker 8: And as I say, I.
Speaker 16: Checked with everyone to make sure that that that I was doing the right thing, and they all agreed that we should just and the second time it went to eighty seven. So that was Everything else was the same, and we made sure that there's things that we look at to to make sure that there's not on any medications that there's no changes in this temperature, there's no abnormalities of the salts and the blood what we call the electrolytes.
Speaker 8: So those all those conditions were the exact same, and I did.
Speaker 16: I repeated that later on the day and it did come back positive.
Speaker 14: Why is it so important that you meet that.
Speaker 7: Specific criteria what the emergency room protocols. You also draw blood for patients that come in Yes, and how is that usually done?
Speaker 17: It's usually done on arrival by the nursing staff.
Speaker 7: And do they draw blood according to a medical physicians orders or do they draw blood for various purposes? Explain to us how that works.
Speaker 17: So it's usually like what we call a rainbow. So they just draw all the twobes of blood as soon as the patient arrives and anticipation for orders.
Speaker 7: Okay, And so what happens to the blood after somebody in the emergency department takes it from the patient? Where does it go? It gets tubed to the lab and fair to say that at Sousha Hospital they have a pneumatic tube system correct. Correct, and then it goes to a separate laboratory.
Speaker 17: Correct.
Speaker 7: And once a physician then assesses a patient and determines what kinds of testing needs to be done on those samples. How do you communicate that to the laboratory?
Speaker 17: So orders are put into a computer and they go through the computer.
Speaker 8: To the lab.
Speaker 7: And as you're treating a patient, is it oftentimes necessary to change the orders or order additional tests?
Speaker 17: Yes?
Speaker 7: And so in this particular case, blood in urine was collected from Lindsay Clancy upon her arrival correct correct, and then sent to the lab.
Speaker 17: Yes.
Speaker 7: Now, going back to the imaging tests, you said that there were some CT scans that were ordered correct. What areas of the body were the CT scans for?
Speaker 17: It was our entire body, her head, her neck, her chest, her abdomen, and her pelvis.
Speaker 7: Now as far as the the cts for her head, were there more than one tat CT test for the head?
Speaker 17: I don't remember. I'd have to look at my record.
Speaker 7: Well, what are the normal or what are the options for CT head stands?
Speaker 17: Usually just a CT head plane, but you could also do a CT angiogram depending on your concern for injury.
Speaker 7: And do you do you recall which one you ordered here?
Speaker 17: For a trauma one, it would be a plane CT head.
Speaker 7: And why do you order that particular test?
Speaker 17: Well, we're trying to assess for skull fractures and crannial bleeding, things like that.
Speaker 7: And when you say a plane CT what's the exact order that's put in for that type of a CT CT head?
Speaker 17: Okay?
Speaker 7: And are there CT heads with contrast?
Speaker 3: There are?
Speaker 7: And are there CT head skins without contrast? Yes? Ay, approach to itness. I'll show you those documents. If that's okay? Sure, I apologize. There's a little series of imagination. So I'm just gonna dry your attention to this page that's black and you can just take a look at it. Sure, m hm, okay, And I'm just gonna flip to the next page. The next page is blank.
Speaker 9: But is this the extent of.
Speaker 7: What you would have received as far as information regarding a head CT that was done without contrast?
Speaker 17: Yes, And I'm going just try your.
Speaker 7: Attention again to another page here towards the end, two pages from the end of the document, and you could take a look at that. Does that reflect the report you would have received for the head CT ordered with contrast.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 7: And in addition to your getting a report from imaging, you also receive some actual images correct, Yes? And do you review those Yes? In this particular circumstance when it came to the patient of Lindsay Clancy, was there anything remarkable in either of those head cts, Not that I recall, And in fact, the head CT with contrast indicated the impression was unremarkable. CTA have had no evidence into cranial aneurysm our, travinous malformation or brupt occlusion correct?
Speaker 17: Correct?
Speaker 7: What does that mean?
Speaker 17: Means it's a normal study.
Speaker 7: Now, as far as the other CT scans that were conducted, there were findings, remarkable findings on some of the others correct, correct, And what did they reflect in your experience? As far as her injury goes?
Speaker 17: From what I can recall, I know she had a thoracic spine injury.
Speaker 7: And how about the CT that was done of the chest area.
Speaker 17: I don't recall.
Speaker 7: It may approach that refresh your memory?
Speaker 17: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what was.
Speaker 17: So it talks about her thoracic spine injuries?
Speaker 7: Now, after reviewing all of the images, all of the CT scans that were done here, the cervical spine, the head cts, the thoracic spine, what was the plan for this particular patient? Was she able to be treated further at Selfshare Hospital?
Speaker 17: The decision was made by the team that her injuries were too severe to stay at Selfshur Hospital and the decision was made to transfer him to her to a tertiary care center.
Speaker 7: Were you able to stabilize her before transporting yes? Is that something that's important to make sure our patient is stable before sending them off in the ambulance or a helicopter. Yes, And so as far as this particular patient goes, are you aware of when whether any surgical intervention had to be done before she was stabilized and transported.
Speaker 17: I was not aware of any intervention.
Speaker 7: Being done, and again you had doctor Carpio who was also there to assess that.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 17: We work as a team.
Speaker 7: Kind of going back to those injuries on her neck and her wrist, very briefly, can you explain to us the difference between leading in be an artery or a vein and how that might present itself in an emergency situation.
Speaker 17: Venus bleed would be a little bit slower, darker blood, and arterial bleed would be pulsatile and bright red.
Speaker 7: And is it fair to say that when you strike either an artery or a vein that they're of different pressure systems and so the manner in which the blood comes out is different. Yes, in either circumstance where an artery or a vein is struck or nicked or cut, would that be something that you'd have to stabilize for a patient in order to make sure that they don't bleed out?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: Was that done here?
Speaker 17: It wasn't necessary.
Speaker 7: Now, this particular patient at some point was noted to be I think it's was referred to as hypothermic. Do you recall that yes? Do you recall at what point in your treatment of her was that noted? Was it as she was coming into the emergency department or did that develop while she was in the emergency department?
Speaker 17: I don't recall.
Speaker 7: What was the course of treatment for a low body temperature.
Speaker 17: We placed something called a bear hugger on them, which is a warming blanket.
Speaker 7: And can you explain to us what could cause a person's body temperature to drop to I think it was eighty two point one.
Speaker 17: There are many reasons, but it could be a metabolic disarray or exposure.
Speaker 7: In this circumstance, did you know what the source of the drop in the body temperature was for Mss Clancy?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 7: And do you recall how long she was in the emergency department before she was transported approximately to the Brigham.
Speaker 17: I think it was about four hours.
Speaker 7: At this time, you're honor, I would move to enter into evidence. A copy of the Selfshore Hospital medical records for Lindsay Clancy from January twenty fourth, twenty three is the next exhibit.
Speaker 6: That may be admitted.
Speaker 8: Well, they may be admitted, and.
Speaker 7: I would also move to enter as the next exhibit a certified copy of imaging records from the Selfshore Hospital for Lindsay Clans from January.
Speaker 6: Twenty four, it may be admitted.
Speaker 7: So, finally, doctor McDonough, did this defendant received surgery at Health Self Store Hospital?
Speaker 17: Not that I'm aware.
Speaker 7: Did you observe any cuts, abrasions or blood on the area of her head?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 7: And based on your review of those findings on the CT scans, was there any noted injury from the head cts that you could tell?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 7: And were you able after using that bear hugger device able to get her blood or excuse me, her body her core body temperature back up to normal.
Speaker 17: I don't recall.
Speaker 7: Did you ever observe those wounds that you observed on her neck or her wrists ever start bleeding actively? Again? No, I have nothing for there, just ready.
Speaker 18: So would you agree with me that when Lindsay was brought into the Soshua Hospital that she was unconscious.
Speaker 17: I recall her eyes being opened, but she was nonverbal.
Speaker 18: Okay, So, as an experienced emergency room doctor, can you tell me when someone's unconscious? What is that? What are the syentomology of it? What does that mean?
Speaker 17: Usually means they're completely unresponsive with eyes closed?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 9: Was she responsive?
Speaker 17: Not verbally?
Speaker 9: Was she responsive at all?
Speaker 17: She was responsive to pain?
Speaker 18: So that means that you would do something to cause pain, perhaps the bottom of the foot or whatever it is, to see if they have a reaction. Correct, And would you agree with me that when people even have very very serious brain injuries, that they can respond to pain stimuli.
Speaker 17: Sometimes sometimes so her eyes were open?
Speaker 9: Was were her pupils equal and reactive to light?
Speaker 17: I don't recall.
Speaker 9: You don't recall.
Speaker 18: What does it mean with pe r L pupils equal reactive to light?
Speaker 9: What does that mean?
Speaker 17: Exactly what you just said. It means her pupils are equal and reactive to light.
Speaker 9: And as a doctor, what does that tell you?
Speaker 17: It tells me that there's no significant neurologic injury.
Speaker 18: And in this case, you don't recall if her pupils were equal or reactive to light?
Speaker 17: I don't, okay.
Speaker 18: And that's when you take the little flash light sometimes and you put it over the eye and see if it is.
Speaker 9: Constriction of the pupil.
Speaker 17: Correct?
Speaker 18: Did you do additional evaluations of her to see what her neurological function was.
Speaker 17: She was pretty quickly intubated from what I recall, so after that it would be difficult to assess her neurologically.
Speaker 9: Sure, was she on any pain medication?
Speaker 17: If you remember, I don't remember.
Speaker 18: You recall did she have difficulty being intubated? I mean, would you agree with me that if you're not under some type of medication or sedation or unconscious, it hurts to be intubated, doesn't it.
Speaker 17: We wouldn't intubate somebody without first giving them some induction medicines.
Speaker 9: Okay, so what would the induction medicines be?
Speaker 17: They're not universal.
Speaker 9: Well, depend on what are the induction in the sense that you used on Lindsay Clancy.
Speaker 17: I don't know. I'd have to refer to my record. And also I wasn't the one who did the intubation, So she.
Speaker 18: Was intubated, had the tube coming out of her mouth, She's laying on the table, and you are continuing an assessment. You were the lead doctor in the emergency room for Lindsay Clancy, right.
Speaker 17: I wouldn't say I was the lead I think the trauma surgeon and I worked together.
Speaker 9: Right, her temperature, her core body temperature was eighty two degrees Is that right?
Speaker 17: If that's what the record states, then yes, I'm sorry. If that's what her medical record states.
Speaker 9: Then, as you said here, you don't know what her core body temperature was.
Speaker 17: I saw her three years ago. I see about two hundred patients.
Speaker 9: I'm sure.
Speaker 17: I'm happy to look at my record if you bring it. Sorry, I did, but I don't have a photographic memory.
Speaker 18: Did she regain consciousness at all while she was in your emergency room?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 9: Can you tell me what cf CSF.
Speaker 17: Is real spinal fluid?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 17: So what that is it would be I'm not sure in what context you're referring to it.
Speaker 18: Well, how about if there's a massive leakage of CSF from her nose?
Speaker 9: What does that tell you as a doctor.
Speaker 17: It could mean that there's a skull fracture.
Speaker 9: Did you notice any clear fluid coming from her nose?
Speaker 17: I did not.
Speaker 9: Is that something you would look for?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 18: How quickly do you get the results of the X rays when you're in the emergency room?
Speaker 17: Well, these were CT scans.
Speaker 7: But oftentimes is it the case that when you're responding to crime, serious crime scenes like this one that you're working in tandem with a forensic scientist from that unit. Yes, that's correct, okay, And so in this circumstance you indicated that more enheartment also was at the Celtier hospital with you. Yes, when you got to the Ceutra hospital, what was the purpose for you being called out there? What were you asked to do?
Speaker 19: So my instructions were to document the defendant any injuries that she had. Forensic scientists heart Innett was going to be taking swabs, and anytime they take swabs, we have to document the areas in which they swab.
Speaker 7: So when you got to the Soltial Hospital, do you remember where you went in the hospital?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 19: I went to one of the trauma rooms in the emergency department.
Speaker 7: And so were you able to make observations of Lindsay Clancy?
Speaker 21: Yes?
Speaker 7: And do you see Lindsay Clancy in the courtroom?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 6: All right, record may reflect the identification.
Speaker 17: Thank you.
Speaker 7: What were your observations of her when you saw her?
Speaker 19: She was covered in like blankets and like heating devices and she had a neck collar on. So when I first walked in the room, I couldn't see anything on her body. Because she was under the blanket than like the neck brace.
Speaker 3: In her face?
Speaker 7: May I approach got a fair and at your representation of how you observed Lindsay Clint, Yes, an objection.
Speaker 9: I have no objection to any of the photographs.
Speaker 8: All right, that maybe addited.
Speaker 7: Beers. I'm just showing you now. Can you see that from where you're sitting. Yes, And so this blanket that's how you observed her in the trauma room. Yes, at some points, did you and other medical stat remove the blankets to document injuries?
Speaker 19: We didn't remove the blanket, but we did remove her arms out from underneath the blanket.
Speaker 7: Okay, And so were you able to do that on your own? Did you need assistance?
Speaker 17: I need assistance?
Speaker 7: And why did you need assistance?
Speaker 19: When I first attempted to pull out her right arm, she was incoperative and pulling it back and fighting against us a little.
Speaker 7: So did you enless the help of the nurses to help you to remove her arm from the blanket? Yes, we're able to make any observations of kind of the temperature in the room at the time that you got in there. Yes, it was very hot in the room, okay, in that blanket that you observed. Were you ware that blanket was to kind of bring her body temperature up? Yes. When you were able to view her arms when you first saw them, did they have anything on them?
Speaker 19: There was a red brown stain on her hands and there was gauze on like her wrist area.
Speaker 7: Did you enlist the help of the medical staff to remove the gauze? Yes?
Speaker 19: And why was that to document any injuries that might have been underneath? And were you able to observe injuries?
Speaker 21: Yes?
Speaker 7: In addition to well strict that the injuries that you observed are the areas of the body that you documented. What were they I documented?
Speaker 19: I took that first overall photo of her. I took a close up of her face and the neck area that I could see. I documented both her hands, both sides of them, her wrist area underneath where the gauze was, and then the nurses assisted in opening up the neck brace, and I took photos of her neck as well.
Speaker 7: And in addition to documenting the defendant herself, did you document any other items that were at the Celsher hospital that evening? Yes?
Speaker 19: I documented any personal belongings that were brought in with her.
Speaker 7: And so you're aware that they removed clothing from her. Yes, and so you documented the clothing correct, and that she had two rings, yes, and that you photograph those rings.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 7: And you're where Trooper Lawler had retained those items.
Speaker 19: I'm not sure who retained them from there, okay, but your role was just to document them, correct.
Speaker 17: I didn't take anything.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 7: In really regards to this particular well, go back for one second. In the crime lab, how do your unit or how do you identify particular cases that you work.
Speaker 19: On, as in like being called out to something?
Speaker 7: Well, is there a way that you once you get called out to a case and do work on a case, is there a way to track what you did with each case by some sort of case number or lab number.
Speaker 19: Yes, we have a case number associated with it.
Speaker 7: And as far as lab numbers go, you're aware that the crime lab follows pieces of evidence using the same lab number.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 7: And does that track items that go through your system?
Speaker 19: Yes, So our lab number goes into a computer system and it tracks everything. It keeps every report written on that case, it tracks the custody logs, it tracks every piece of evidence that's been involved in the case.
Speaker 9: If it helps you.
Speaker 18: There's no issue is to change a custody or foundation or anything like that.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 7: Other than going out to the Sostra Hospital on January twenty fourth, do your call being called out to another location later in relation to the same lab number. Yes, and that would have been on January sixth, twenty twenty three. February sixth, excuse me, February sixth, thank you? So where did you go?
Speaker 19: I was called to the Plymouth Detective Unit's office in Brockton.
Speaker 7: And did you me or speak with one of the troopers from that office?
Speaker 17: Yes?
Speaker 14: I did, Trooper Rabbit.
Speaker 7: Trooper Rabbit, And what did he ask you to do on that day?
Speaker 19: He asked me to photograph a bag of medication and some documents that were inside that bag that had been.
Speaker 21: Brought to their office.
Speaker 7: And did you do anything else with the items that Trooper Rabbit had in his possession on January excuse me, February.
Speaker 19: Sixth, No, I just photographed them and left them with them.
Speaker 7: And again, is that something that your unit sometimes is called out to do? Yes? I think further?
Speaker 8: Could you raising?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 9: Is it trooper or you a chemist or sergeant? Sorry Tragian? You had a search warrant. Apparently when you went into the house. I guess with Trooper Rabbit.
Speaker 7: I didn't go into the house.
Speaker 18: Oh so he just gave you the bag. In other words, you didn't go in the house and take pictures of any of the rooms or anything like that.
Speaker 19: No, the bag was at their office when I went to the Oh.
Speaker 9: Okay, all right, it's all we have.
Speaker 6: Thank you, anything anything further turning buck?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: No, thanks, all right, thank you, sir, thank you.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Please, And so I'm going to ask you go back. We'll get you back in here in a short while. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 8: All right, all.
Speaker 4: Right, so we'll be in recess on this matter as time.
Speaker 6: Thank you. All right.
Speaker 7: Going back to January of twenty twenty three, were you working in that same unity and what was the shift that you normally worked?
Speaker 10: I worked the night shift, which is seven pm seven am.
Speaker 7: And do you what was your schedule like for any given week. Did you work back to back shifts.
Speaker 10: Or I can sometimes work back to back shifts.
Speaker 7: Okay, but you always worked the night shift, the night shift.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 7: I'm going to draw your attention to a particular patient that you had some interaction with in January of twenty twenty three, and that was Lindsay Clancy. Do you recall treating her?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 7: And was she in that traumasurgical intensive care unit?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 7: Do you remember the first time you interacted with her?
Speaker 10: Yes? I got her.
Speaker 7: And would that have been on the first night she was there on January twenty fourth?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 7: How did she come to your unit at the Brigham She.
Speaker 10: Came from the emergency room, went to MRI, then came to th THEEO to.
Speaker 7: Me and were you aware that she had been seen at a local hospital in Weymouth, the South Shore Hospital Shore while you were treating her on that first night? Were you the main nurse assigned to her care?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what were your responsibilities as the nurse assigned to her care on that first night?
Speaker 10: First night she was intubated, came to be intubated, We had to maintain our book pressure at a certain number. Just care, regular nursing care, okay.
Speaker 7: And were you aware that she was on what's called the one to one Yes? What does that mean?
Speaker 10: That means patient usually can't be left alone and also depending you always have to have somebody outside the room with a certain monitor of the patient and.
Speaker 7: Is that because that patient has been identified as a potential suicide risk. Yes, Now, on that the twenty fourth into the early morning, I was at the twenty fifth. Was there a particular event that you were witnessed to for this particular patient?
Speaker 10: She coded?
Speaker 7: What does that mean?
Speaker 10: Means her blood pressure dropped? For her, it meant her blood pressure dropped and it wasn't sustainable work life.
Speaker 7: So what did you do when her blood pressure fell and she coded?
Speaker 10: We started CPR, We did compressions.
Speaker 7: And this event occurred approximately at three thirty in the morning.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: Was she eventually stabilized after that code?
Speaker 8: She was?
Speaker 7: And did they do something as far as intervention to try to maintain her blood pressure?
Speaker 10: We increased her pressers. We added two more presses, she was already on two. They placed chest tubes and started what we call a mass of blood transfusion.
Speaker 8: Protocol.
Speaker 14: And did this.
Speaker 7: All occur in the trauma surgical intensive care unit or did she have to be taken to a different unit?
Speaker 10: It all occurred in her.
Speaker 7: And other than medical staff that was treating her that particular night, did you observe anybody else present?
Speaker 10: She had two police officers outside.
Speaker 7: The room, okay, And so did they remain outside the room for the duration?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 10: Is that side the room? Yes?
Speaker 7: As far as your interaction with the patient of that particular night shift, was she responsive at all during the time that you saw her? And with intubation you mentioned she was intubated. Is a patient often sedated in order to maintain intubation? Why is that.
Speaker 10: Helps them not fight the vent and breathe better and make sure that they're comfortable?
Speaker 7: And what does sedation do to an individual.
Speaker 10: Your calmer, you're sleeping.
Speaker 7: Make them more relaxed. Other than that night, that first night, the twenty fourth into the twenty fifth, did you have the occasion to treat this patient at other points within that week?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 9: I have.
Speaker 7: And I'm gonna draw your attention to January twenty sixth of twenty twenty three. Do you recall interacting with her on that day?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: And is it fair to say that on the twenty six she was still intubated and under sedation. Yes, Well, during this time period on the twenty sixth, was she arousable, meaning could you initiate some communication with her some yes? And were you able to kind of give her commands in order to care for her that she was able to follow. Yes, And when I say able.
Speaker 14: To follow obviously simple commands.
Speaker 7: What kinds of.
Speaker 10: A neuro check to just make sure she's alert and she's able to follow, understand what you're saying to her.
Speaker 7: And for this particular patient, you're aware that she presented with a spinal injury. Correct. Correct, And so movement of the explower extremities was not something that she did.
Speaker 11: Correct.
Speaker 7: But did you observe her to move her head around and move her arms around?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 7: Now, you also had the occasion to treat her in the overnight shift of January twenty eighth of twenty twenty three, correct, Yes, And during that time she was also still intubated.
Speaker 10: I believe, so, I'm not sure I've had her both intubated and.
Speaker 7: Okay, while she was still intubated, did you have a system that you could use to communicate with her.
Speaker 10: Yes. Board. We have a whiteboard or clear board that sometimes patients can right on.
Speaker 7: Did you observe her to utilize that whiteboard to write on it?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 7: And at this point when she's writing on the board, she's now her eyes are open and she's responsive. Yes, and she's able to tell you how she's feeling. Correct and fair to say she used that whiteboard to tell you she was confused and that she couldn't fail her lower extremities. And do you recall her complaining of having pain?
Speaker 10: I don't recall.
Speaker 7: During this time period of the twenty eighth. Do you recall whether the patient was placed into restraints?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 7: And why was that?
Speaker 10: Well, we restrain all patients that are intubated, So.
Speaker 7: On this particular night, the second she made a request of you for her lawyer. Correct?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 7: Was that something she had asked you before?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 7: And so did you think it was something worth noting?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 7: Why would you note something like that because.
Speaker 10: That was the first time she referred to anything going on with the case.
Speaker 7: And this was not a conversation you'd had before. What did you do when she made that request? What was your response?
Speaker 10: I sent what we call a consult to the social worker in order to coordinate reaching out to her lawyer.
Speaker 7: In any of the shifts that you had been caring for this particular patient, did you see anyone besides medical staff and the law enforcement that were outside of the room come in and speak with her.
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 7: Were you aware that she was not to have visitors to the first night and is that something that you've seen before in your work as a nurse one there are police on site?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: Were you present at one point when some troopers came in to take photographs of her?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 7: And were you in the room when they took the photographs? Do you recall assisting them in viewing the injuries to her wrists in her neck?
Speaker 10: I don't know if I I don't remember.
Speaker 14: Assisting, okay, but you were present with.
Speaker 7: Her and fair to say your contact ended with this patient on February third, when she was transferred off of the Trauma Surgical ic US unit. Yes, so one moment. Now, you were not the only nurse to treat her on the night shift, correct, So on days that you didn't work, another nurse treated her. And were you familiar with the nurse who was generally assigned to treat her during the day and who was that?
Speaker 10: Megan Colin?
Speaker 7: Megan Collins? And is it fair to say that with the law enforcement presence and this patient's particular situation, the amount of medical staff that we're treating her on a regular basis was fairly limited, meaning it was the same people of the time.
Speaker 10: Thank you, pretty ready morning.
Speaker 6: First of all, calm all thing objection, Hm.
Speaker 14: I actually have those on a disc. I was going to put the disc in instead of all the paper.
Speaker 6: Well we put both. What we put both in, we could do A and B.
Speaker 18: Thank you, Yes, lawyer first, since that was the last that they asked you about. And correctly, if I'm wrong on any of these dates are acts. She was admitted on the twenty fourth of January. Is that correct?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 18: And do you have do you have a memory of so? Approximately what time was it in the evening?
Speaker 10: Well she got to the ICO was around three.
Speaker 9: Okay, you're very soft spoken. Sorry, you can just keep your voice up as.
Speaker 10: She got to the ICO around three am.
Speaker 9: Thank you. And she came by midflight.
Speaker 22: She came to me from MRI, and MRI obviously would be when you're taking the pictures, and that would be on the twenty fourth of January in the early morning hours, correct.
Speaker 10: I think it went into the twenty fifth.
Speaker 9: Into the twenty fifth, I think so. Console asked you about the whiteboard that she would write on, and I think it was again if I'm wrong, correctly, it was the January twenty eighth that she used for the first time. The white board to communicate.
Speaker 18: Yes, and the white board basically is just a white board, and you're right on it.
Speaker 9: And she was not able to speak because she was intubated.
Speaker 18: Right, yes, And she was in the restraints that you've described as well, right right. Moving forward January twenty eighth, twenty nine thirty into February first, February second. It was on February second the council asked you about her asking to reach out to her lawyer. Correct, yes, And do you know who her lawyer was at that time? Now had you seen him before?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 18: Did you know as the name Attorney Gelb? Now make any reference to you. Do you know that whether or not she had conversation with Attorney Gelb regarding her status as being under arrest by the numerous police that were.
Speaker 9: Guiding the Roman.
Speaker 10: I don't.
Speaker 18: Do you know whether or not she was ever able to talk to attorney Galbo or did you refer her to the social worker people.
Speaker 10: I've put in a concept for the social worker.
Speaker 9: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 18: When she was admitted on the twenty fourth, would you agree that she was in the state of cardiac arrest shortly.
Speaker 10: Thereafter, shortly after arriving to me.
Speaker 18: So I'm looking at the medical records that have been introduced for the jurors, and I'm referencing on page.
Speaker 9: Eighteen if I may.
Speaker 18: Now there's one page of four hundred pages of medical records.
Speaker 6: Can you see them?
Speaker 8: But I.
Speaker 9: Looking at this came the SICU.
Speaker 8: Of course.
Speaker 10: I see you, serrical Ice, and that makes reference.
Speaker 18: To the fact that shortly after arriving in the ICU, the patient had.
Speaker 9: A cardiac arrest.
Speaker 10: Yes you there, then I was.
Speaker 18: And when it says the ideology of the arrest, she got two rounds of CPR before obtaining r O s C.
Speaker 9: Can you tell me please what a CPR? Two rounds of what is RROS?
Speaker 10: Meaning? We did chest compression. She was already intubated, so she was getting oxygen.
Speaker 18: Okay, And then bilateral chest tubes were placed in her body.
Speaker 10: Yes, does that mean from both both sides?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 18: And they punctures through the chest into what the lungs, the ones and when they placed the chest tubes at this point shortly after admission, there was one hundred to three hundreds of blood from each chest to.
Speaker 9: What does that mean?
Speaker 10: That's the output they got once they put the chest again? Can you that's the output they got once they put the chest to bin.
Speaker 9: Okay, So when they put the chest to again, a drained one hundred to three hundred c seeds of blood? Is that correct?
Speaker 10: Correct?
Speaker 9: And then after that again shortly after admission to the hospital, coming from south Shore Hospital, she then got a massive transfusion protocol which you told us about, right, Yes? What does that mean?
Speaker 10: Means she gets we have a protocol that but blood depending blood products?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 10: She had some piers rapidly.
Speaker 18: And was there a notice shortly after arrival to the ICU she was being turned and had thirty c seeds of clear fluid that came out.
Speaker 8: Of her nose?
Speaker 7: Is that right?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 19: And what is that is that?
Speaker 9: Was there a suspicion that that was see it? What's called CSF?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 9: And what is CSF?
Speaker 10: It's final fluid?
Speaker 9: Okay. Going to the next.
Speaker 18: Page, which would be nineteen, does it indicate again on there?
Speaker 9: If I can just bring this up a little bit better. So she now has noted acute blood loss anemia?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 9: What does that mean?
Speaker 10: She has a low blood count?
Speaker 9: And you know what happened to the blood or any idea?
Speaker 8: I did not?
Speaker 9: So she had very low, lost a lot of blood, right, yes, And she had anemia that would be what low blood or something?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 9: And she required multiple transfusions immediately.
Speaker 10: Following her arrest, right yes.
Speaker 9: And when it says arrest, does that mean arrest by the police, that does that mean the kid? I want to make sure that's clear.
Speaker 18: It's kydiac arrests nothing to do with the police. And she had massively required multiple transfusions that yes. Were you aware of the extent of the after you have the X ray not X rays, after you have the MRIs and the catskins. Were you aware as her the lead nurse or treating nurses to what the extent of her injuries.
Speaker 10: Were at that point? I don't believe.
Speaker 9: So at some point did you become aware of that?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 18: Okay, so again I've got the records. You don't, so let me do it this way, just to make it easy. Do you remember that she had a burst fracture of C one?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 9: What does that mean?
Speaker 10: Means a cerebral fracture up here?
Speaker 9: This is the cervical pere and then T five and T six it was a transsection. What does that mean?
Speaker 10: Thorassic?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 19: Fine?
Speaker 9: Down here and when it says transaction, what does that mean?
Speaker 10: It's severed?
Speaker 9: And then T.
Speaker 18: One two, three four, Also we're injured as well, right, what is neurogenic shock?
Speaker 9: What does that mean? If you know?
Speaker 10: Neurogenic shock?
Speaker 9: Sorry, yeah, neurogenic shock.
Speaker 10: It just makes reference on these are not my notes, so I can't really that's.
Speaker 18: Fine, I understand, And this would be on page sixty five. Do you recall reviewing the documentation as to the what's captioned present illness in the records? Did you know that she was presenting as a transfer from Socio Hospital?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 18: Did you know that she was that under present illness? And the history would be that she's a thirty thirty two year old female with history significant for post partum depression.
Speaker 10: Did you know that? Yes?
Speaker 9: And did you know that after the fall with the C.
Speaker 18: One burst fracture and the complex transaction of T five and T six she also had rib fraction correct yes, on page sixty six. That would make reference to the time frame going into the twenty fifth. On the twenty fifth, that she was reacting to painful stimuli, right, yes, And that basically means that she's not conscious if you will, but she's able to react.
Speaker 10: To if you cause pain, yeah, okay.
Speaker 18: There's a notation of a contusion, laceration and crushing of the thyroid with thyroidal edema.
Speaker 9: What does that mean.
Speaker 10: She has swelling I'm assuming around her thyroid, okay, and that again this is not my scope.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay.
Speaker 18: On page seventy the same evening, making reference to the fact that in addition to the injuries to the spine, that she also had the rib fractions and was currently in shock.
Speaker 9: Do you remember that that she was in shock? Yes?
Speaker 10: No, yes, okay?
Speaker 18: Would you agree or do you recall that there's a notation that this patient is critically ill and noting that she has postpartum psychosis. On page seventy two.
Speaker 6: They see counseling.
Speaker 9: When you're treating a patient, one.
Speaker 18: Of the things you try to do is to know what their total body and emotional condition is, what they've been dealing with, and what injuries they have.
Speaker 10: Right, we got a run down history of the patient.
Speaker 18: Sure, and as it goes into the end of January, and she had been communicating on the whiteboard, you were aware at that point why she was in the hospital, right, Yes, you know where she came from social hospital, right?
Speaker 9: Yes, and you knew that there had been there had been discussion about postpatum psychosis. Isn't that right? Yes?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 9: And do you recall that? And this would be on and I approach you under the witness.
Speaker 6: Maybe if you could show counsole what I want?
Speaker 9: The date in the time.
Speaker 18: Oh yeah, legal team, So I'll just showing you one page for the medical record.
Speaker 9: Can you tell what date is this?
Speaker 1: Page?
Speaker 2: Five?
Speaker 9: January twenty five?
Speaker 6: Yeah, if I ask you, if you keep your voice at least speaking out?
Speaker 10: Sorry, yeah, thank you, January twenty fath Okay, say what time? Nine am? Nine or three am?
Speaker 9: And looking at that, do you recall on that day you have been working with her the night before?
Speaker 8: Correctly?
Speaker 9: Correct where it indicates that patient is under arrest, right, yes, A police officers.
Speaker 10: At her bedside outside the rum.
Speaker 9: Well it says at a bedside of the record, isn't.
Speaker 10: It in the record? But I'm saying they are in the night.
Speaker 9: Before, they were outside her un outside you were not there during the day apparently, right cracked. Okay, And this difference from you guys as far as your medical records. If the police officer is at the bedside as opposed to in the chair in the hallway outside of the room. Yes, so indicated police officer ed her bedside. We will involve the social work and legal teams, right, yes, And again on page seventy two there's a reference to CSF leak and that's significant. It's a significant amount of fluid coming from her nose. Do you have any memory of observing that in your treatment ident? Okay?
Speaker 18: And then of course there was the code event that you've already described for us. There's one hundred to three hundred c seeds of blood coming from the tubes. And then it makes reference to on page seventy four it's a massive transfusion protocol. Is that like a medical term or is that somebody describing it or.
Speaker 10: It's a medical it's a protocol that we have at the hospital. Okay.
Speaker 9: And on page seventy five, did you make reference two or did you observe the injuries for example to her wrist?
Speaker 8: I observed, yes, And would you agree with me?
Speaker 9: At page seventy five the medical record indicating if it says, are you e.
Speaker 8: What is RUI means?
Speaker 18: You know, write upper extremity, Write upper extremity three point five centimeter deep laceration bolar aspect of wrist. Tell me what is the bolar aspect of the wrist?
Speaker 9: I just don't know.
Speaker 10: I'm not sure that's fine.
Speaker 18: Would you agree that there was noted a three point five centimeter deep.
Speaker 9: Laceration after wrist?
Speaker 10: I can't say if I adn't measure. This is somebody else's note.
Speaker 18: Well, when you looked at her, did you observe with your own eyes and your own experience that she had a deep laceration.
Speaker 10: On the she had her laceration.
Speaker 8: Yes, you can't say it's deep in it.
Speaker 10: I can't say I didn't.
Speaker 9: You want to say it was superficial.
Speaker 10: I can't say that either.
Speaker 9: So when you looked at the laceration on her wrist, you can't tell us if you would agree that it was a deep laceration.
Speaker 10: I really didn't get to it at the time when she arrived.
Speaker 18: Lue underneath that left upper extremity apparently right, Yes, two sent to me to deep laceration again on the volar aspect of the wrist, you did see laceration.
Speaker 8: Of the risk.
Speaker 10: Yeah, she had dressings, okay.
Speaker 9: And when she was admitted she had the core temperature of eighty two degrees? Is that correct?
Speaker 10: If that's what's noted?
Speaker 13: Right?
Speaker 9: Do you remember did they use a bear claw or something like that? What is it they call it?
Speaker 10: They put the bear hugger, bear hugger.
Speaker 9: They put a bear hugger blanket on them.
Speaker 10: And when I say them, I mean people that have a low, long timetur to warm them up.
Speaker 18: It hopefully raises the tech and then if it has warm intervened, I intervened IVF.
Speaker 8: That would be putting warm saline in the.
Speaker 10: Body, yes, through an iv all.
Speaker 9: Right, all with an effort to try to get the temperature up. And her core temperature was eighty two degrees, even after she was at the South Shore Hospital and underneath the bear thing and all that.
Speaker 10: And still I think that's what's noted. Again, that's time.
Speaker 9: I know it's pretty low, isn't it?
Speaker 6: It is?
Speaker 9: And you made reference to pressors.
Speaker 10: I'm sorry, Can you pressors without pressure medication to bring up the boot pressure?
Speaker 9: Okay? On January twenty sixth, she was still intubated, is that right?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 9: And she was under sedation right, yes? And then you referenced January twenty night, twenty nights January twenty eighth overnight shift. She was still intubated, right, yes.
Speaker 18: And January twenty eighth is when she first started utilizing the whiteboard.
Speaker 8: Is that correct?
Speaker 9: Yes, but she was intubated, yes, Yes, she was restrained.
Speaker 18: To the bed, yes, and had the tube was still in her mouth and she was writing on a whiteboard on the.
Speaker 9: Twenty eighth of January.
Speaker 18: Correct, she was able to yes, January thirtieth, she was extubated, as the district attorney asked, you rang.
Speaker 9: Yes, So at that point was she able to talk like you know, talk talk okay?
Speaker 18: And then on February second is when she used the she asked about wanting to reach out to her attorney.
Speaker 8: Is that correct?
Speaker 9: Yes, you had no knowledge as to her mother and father getting an attorney for her while she was in custody with the police.
Speaker 8: All around her.
Speaker 9: Nope, okay, And you try to help her out as best you can.
Speaker 10: To coordinate's harder at night, you know, so to pass it on.
Speaker 9: And finally she was not able to have visitors per order of the police. Is that correct?
Speaker 10: Correct?
Speaker 9: Thank you very much, man, Thank cam.
Speaker 7: I'most redirect miss sanity the first time that it's going to say the defendant, the patient used whiteboard with you was on January twenty eighth. Correct. Yes, you're not aware of if she used that tool with other nurses on other shifts, are you. And the first time that she mentioned a lawyer on the February second, that's the first time she mentioned a lawyer to you. Correct.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 7: You were asked about the trauma and the chest tube and that she lost one hundred to three hundred c seas of blood. Yes, the transfusion came after that, correct.
Speaker 10: Yes, and.
Speaker 7: Fair to say. The course of her treatment coming to Brigham was that she first came in through the emergency department, correct, Then she was sent for an MRI, and then she came to the trauma surgery. Correct. And you're aware that she had other imaging like CT scans, correct, And that, especially when it came to the head cts, she didn't have any intercranial imagery, intercranial injuries, or anything that required that you be focused on her head injury correct. Correct, So it was more cardiac issue and keeping her stable and internal bleeding in the chest area.
Speaker 14: Yes.
Speaker 7: As far as what you're aware of from other treating physicians, You're aware doctor Anderson was one of the trauma surgeons that were treating was treating the patient. Yes, and he was making assessments and giving orders to you and other nurses. Yes. And are you aware that he identified in the history that this patient actually had a history of postpartum mood SIMPT, it's not psychosis.
Speaker 10: I would have to look at the note. I don't remember.
Speaker 7: Those aren't notes that you would have written, and you weren't taking a full history of.
Speaker 10: The patient at the time.
Speaker 7: Were you aware that she then subsequently was fully evaluated by the psychiatric.
Speaker 10: Team I knew she is so psyched.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 7: And were you aware that they ultimately identified that there's an inherent uncertainty in her diagnosis?
Speaker 10: I do not remember.
Speaker 7: As far as the last lacerations went. In your treatment of her, again, you treated her overnight shifts for various days. Correct. Did you ever have a situation where you had to change her bandages because they were seeping?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: And are you aware that.
Speaker 10: Except for the first night, but we didn't get to that because she coded, because she.
Speaker 7: Coded, And then you're aware that the next day after another individual of physicians assistant physician's assistant excuse me, actually came in and those lasseres and as far as doctor Anderson goes, were you aware that on January twenty fifth, he noted that the lacerations to her neck and wrists were very superficial and didn't require treatment at.
Speaker 10: That time, I was not aware. I don't remember that note.
Speaker 1: Would you.
Speaker 7: If I showed you the record that that's in his note, would you agree that that's an assessment that he made. Yes, and he didn't instruct you to do anything further with those injuries?
Speaker 10: Yes, right, thank you.
Speaker 9: Very briefully true. Disic attorney asked you about the evaluation by the psych as she put at psychiatric teams with a determination that there was inherent uncertainty according to the psychiatric teams. Do you know when the psychiatric teams were evaluating her?
Speaker 10: I don't know. I was after and during the day. I don't know what day, But.
Speaker 18: In any event, I did show you and the the thing over there, the where the reference was made to postpatum depression, post patum psychosis.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 23: Yes, and.
Speaker 9: It's all heah, thank you man.
Speaker 6: Anything further alright, thank you man, Let me sit down, Thank you. Hi. Comma would call Meghan Collins please, Hi, good afternoon. Ask you speaking to that microphone, keep your voice up. Okay, all right, pre Bucky please.
Speaker 7: Thank you, good afternoon. Hi. Can you please tell the juror your first and last name, Meghan Collins? Would you mind spollowing your first name for the record?
Speaker 4: M E.
Speaker 8: G H A N.
Speaker 3: Collins C O L L I N S.
Speaker 7: Thank you? And what do you do for work?
Speaker 3: I'm an? I see you nurse?
Speaker 7: And how long have you been a nurse?
Speaker 3: Eleven years?
Speaker 7: And did you go to school for that?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 7: Where'd you go?
Speaker 3: Sacred Heart?
Speaker 7: What hospital do you currently work at?
Speaker 3: Brigham and Women's and how long have you worked there? Eight years?
Speaker 7: In January of twenty twenty three? What unit were you working on at the Brigham the trauma Surgical?
Speaker 10: I see you?
Speaker 7: Did you work a particular shift?
Speaker 23: I did?
Speaker 7: And what shift was that? Seven A to seven p? So seven am to seven pm? And you just have to answer out loud? Sorry, okay, Yes, I'm going to draw your attention to a particular patient that was treated there beginning on January twenty fourth. Lindsay Clancy, are you familiar with that patient?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: Were you a nurse that was treating her during the day shift while she was in the ICU?
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 7: Are you aware that she arrived at the Brigham Hospital on January twenty fourth of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: When she was admitted to URICU, it was overnight.
Speaker 23: So as far as the hospital, do you know when she arrived at the hospital, I believe the day evening prior.
Speaker 10: And you.
Speaker 7: A patient who comes to your hospital doesn't automatically come to the ICU, correct, that's correct? Where did they go first?
Speaker 3: Usually the emergency room?
Speaker 7: And you're aware this particular patient actually went through a local hospital before being transferred to the emergency department at Brigham and then to the ICU. Correct.
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 7: And so when you interacted whether she had already been at the ICU unit for that night shift? Is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: Correct? Interacted? She was intubated when she arrived.
Speaker 7: And were you with her the entire day of the twenty fifth, from that seven am to seven pm shift?
Speaker 17: Yes?
Speaker 7: And was she on what's called the one to one during that day?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what does that mean for you as the nurse if she's on the one to one?
Speaker 23: She was one to one nursing perra ratios because of how critically.
Speaker 7: Ill she was, And so you were there pretty much the entire time.
Speaker 17: Correct?
Speaker 7: Were there any other people there other than the medical staff in yourself treating her? Were there any other people there?
Speaker 3: There were officers, police officers, and.
Speaker 7: They were outside the room.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 7: Had you taken overcare of this patient from another nurse on the night shift?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 3: And who was that Rachelle?
Speaker 7: And you are familiar with Rachelle you worked there before, Yes, I have. And you advised that over the course of the night shift that this patient had coded.
Speaker 9: I was.
Speaker 7: And when you came on shift in the morning because of what had happened overnight, were you aware that she was sent for an additional CT scan.
Speaker 23: We went for CT imaging in the morning when I got there because she was not stable overnight, And you said she was intubated correct, Correct? How was she responsive during that first day that you encountered her? The first shift that I had her, we were focused on her injuries and keeping her sedated, so the interactions responses were minimal, But that was intentional as she was again, like I said, so critically ill.
Speaker 7: And so you also said that she was sedated for the majority of that day, correct, Yes? And is that something that often happens when a person is intubated, that they're sedated, it is, if right? And did you treat her on the twenty sixth to your best ever memory, I.
Speaker 3: Would have to go back and look.
Speaker 9: I don't have a problem records.
Speaker 7: As far as January twenty sixth, on that seven am to seven pm shift, do you recall making notes that the patient required additional sedation due to the tube intolerance, Yes, okay, and that she was started on low dose of propofol. That is correct, and that in the afternoon that she had the chest tubes and you kind of check those chest tubes to it, says interval c x R. Looked okay with chest tubes to water seal. Yes, that's correct, and so she had previously been given chest tubes and your role was just to kind of make sure that everything was fine.
Speaker 23: They placed bilateral chest tubes and monitoring those is a part of my responsibilities in the ICU, and we you were concerned for her respiratory status, so that is why I made a note of it, okay.
Speaker 7: And as far as the injuries that were a part of your assessment of her, fair to say, on January twenty ninth, you also were treating her that day from seven am to seven pm, and you made a note where you identified injuries, right, correct, And those injuries would have been things that were reported to you based on a doctor's review of labs and images and that kind of thing.
Speaker 10: Correct.
Speaker 7: Yes, you don't make your own assessment about thorcic injuries or cervical injuries.
Speaker 3: I do not diagnose.
Speaker 7: Also on the twenty ninth or the twenty eighth into the twenty ninth, that is, at that point when the patient was extubated. Correct.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 7: Do you recall making observations of the patient when she was at or she was extubated.
Speaker 3: She was not exturbated on my shift. I was there the following day.
Speaker 7: Okay. Did you note how her demeanor her presentation the next day?
Speaker 8: I did?
Speaker 7: And fair to say you noted increased confusion, agitation, and picking at lane lines and drains. Correct, that's correct, And fair to say the patient had to be restrained because of the activity, that is correct. Is that something that you often see when patients come out of intubation, that when they're extubated, that they exhibit signs of confusion or delirium.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's called ICU delirium.
Speaker 7: And over the course of the next few days in your interactions with her, did you see that delirium decline or decrease.
Speaker 23: Yes, it was a multi modal approach to manage the delirium agitation and it did get better and it did improve.
Speaker 7: And fair to say, during the time that you were treating this particular patient there was also sleep issues that were part of the treatment plan.
Speaker 8: That is correct.
Speaker 7: And on January twenty ninth and January thirtieth of twenty twenty three, were you present when the psych consult team came in to speak with the defendant?
Speaker 3: Yes, I was.
Speaker 7: What was the purpose of you being present?
Speaker 3: The purpose is.
Speaker 23: We had consulted the psychiatry team to evaluate and determine capacity. And my role is the as the ICU nurse is advocacy on behalf of the patient and to alert the providers if there's any changes in the mental status.
Speaker 7: Now, when they came in and you said advocate for their position, you're aware that the patient was looking to change her health care proxy.
Speaker 23: Correct, the patient was changing her health care proxy. That is correct, and that there has to.
Speaker 7: Be an evaluation to determine whether she's of a particular mental status and medically able to make that decision on her own. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 7: And do you recall who was present other than yourself and the psych doctors and doctors from the psychiatric unit.
Speaker 9: There was the.
Speaker 3: Social worker, myself, and her lawyer was present.
Speaker 7: Had you been present when a lawyer or somebody else was with her prior to this consult.
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 7: And fair to say you were made aware.
Speaker 17: Very early on that.
Speaker 7: There was a particular group of people that would be having access to this individual. Correct.
Speaker 3: Can you clarify, well, is it fair.
Speaker 8: To say that.
Speaker 7: The treatment team was kept small on purpose? I mean, the same people were coming in and being the nurse, day and night staff. There was limited access.
Speaker 23: Is that fair to say it was kept to a Yes, it was kept to a smaller team, but that was also protection of privacy for the patient.
Speaker 7: And during the course of time when she's on the ICU, which is between the twenty fourth to February third, there's always law enforcement posted outside the room. Correct, Yes, and it was because she was well I'm just asking you if there were law enforcement there was. Do you recall having to check with the nursing director and the legal team at the hospital to make sure that it was permissive to allow anyone in besides medical staff.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's standard protocol.
Speaker 7: And when she was transferred off of your unit on February third, did you have any further contact with her? I did not and nothing further. Thank you?
Speaker 9: Pretty ready to absinutely.
Speaker 8: I think.
Speaker 18: How many years you've been a nurse eleven and you obviously take that position and as very serious and your concern is to protect your patient.
Speaker 9: Is that right?
Speaker 8: That is.
Speaker 18: You made reference to the fact that she was changing her her documents as far as health care proxy, Yes, did.
Speaker 8: You know anything?
Speaker 18: Did you know who she was changing it from her husband to her mother and father, or did you know anything about the specifics she was changing.
Speaker 3: It from her from Patrick to her parents?
Speaker 9: And what is a d n R.
Speaker 3: D n R means do not resuscitate.
Speaker 9: Do you know what her DNR was?
Speaker 3: Her code status was full at the time that I took care of her.
Speaker 18: Do you recall that she had indicated repeatedly that she wanted a d NR, that she did not want to be resuscitated if emergency arose.
Speaker 3: I was not privy to that knowledge, okay.
Speaker 9: But that's noted in the medical record. It would be noted in the records, right, it would be yes, thank you very much, Thank you, pretty.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Comald calls doctor Shah.
Speaker 6: All right, good afternoon, doctor.
Speaker 4: I'm going to ask you keep your voice up and speak into that microphone, right, thanks, thank you, thank.
Speaker 14: You, Anna, good afternoon. Can you please stay and spell your name for the record.
Speaker 8: Sure.
Speaker 20: My first name is Stagel s E j a L. Last name of Shaw s h A H. What's your day of birth five eight eighty one.
Speaker 14: What do you do for a living.
Speaker 1: I'm a psychiatrist.
Speaker 14: And can you briefly describe your education and training background that qualifies you to be a psychiatrist?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely so.
Speaker 20: I did my undergraduate in Philadelphia at the University of Pennsylvania, followed by medical school at Jefferson Medical College, also in Philadelphia. I moved, Oh sure, I moved up to Boston to do my residency in psychiatry at Brighaman and Women's Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess, followed by a fellowship in Consultation Liaison psychiatry at Brigham and Women's Hospital and then stayed on as a faculty member.
Speaker 14: And where do you work currently?
Speaker 1: I work at Brighaman and Women's Hospital And what is your role there. I'm Associate Chief of the Division.
Speaker 20: Of Psychiatry and Medicine, leading the Consultation Liaison psychiatry service at Brigham.
Speaker 14: And what is the consultation in liaison service.
Speaker 20: Yeah, so, consultation liaison psychiatry is a subspecialty of psychia treat that works at the interface of psychiatry and medicine. So we work both in the inpatient and outpatient settings. In this particular instance, we get called by other healthcare providers that may need help with their patients or have a question related in the psychiatric realm. And so I would see a patient that's admitted to the hospital and help provide recommendations to the physicians and the rest of the care team that's caring for that patient.
Speaker 14: So basically, say, at the Brigham, if a patient's being treated there and a medical doctor is treating them and thinks that they need a consultation with a psychiatrist, your department would be called.
Speaker 1: That's correct. And how long have you been with the Brigham nineteen years now?
Speaker 14: I want to direct your attention to January of twenty twenty three. Did you interact with the patient named Lindsay Clancy. I did, and was that on January twenty ninth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was the first of a handful of times that I saw her.
Speaker 14: And why did you meet with Lindsay Clancy on January twenty ninth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 20: So my team was seeing Ms Clancy for a number of reasons, including for psychiatric safety risk assessment. She had come in reporting aice reporting a suicide attempt, which is a common reason why my team would be called is to continue to ensure that patients are safe when they're in the hospital. So we make recommendations about kind of safety status, you know, what can we.
Speaker 1: Do to help keep a patient safe.
Speaker 20: But then we also make recommendations related to medications. So that's why my team was following her. So that was one of the reasons why I saw her.
Speaker 1: On the twenty ninth, is to continue that assessment.
Speaker 20: I was also called to ask a new I was asked a new question that day, a consult question on whether she was able to make the decision to change her health care proxy from her at the time husband to her parents.
Speaker 14: And when you consult to help determine whether someone's capable of making a decision like that, changing their health care proxy. Are you evaluating their medical decision making capacity?
Speaker 1: That's correct?
Speaker 14: How do you go about doing correct? And she's speaking to and were you aware that Patrick Clancy was her health care proxy?
Speaker 1: I was told that by her primary medical team.
Speaker 14: And when you talked to Ms Clancy, did she tell you who she wanted to take over that role?
Speaker 1: She did and who was both her parents.
Speaker 14: And you talked about that needing to be a consistent choice. How did you ensure that was a consistent choice with her?
Speaker 20: Yeah, so we waited to make that make the change from Patrick Clancy to her parents until the next day for a variety of reasons. We wanted to ensure that that choice was consistent over time, and especially because the day that I saw her, she had just gone through some pretty major medical events, including she had a major sign surgery, a decompression, and effusion. She had gone through some oxygen desaturation overnight so was not breathing as well, her heart rate was up, all of which then led to her being what we call delirious. She was quite she was confused overnight to the point where she asked her nurse, am I delirious? And she was also experiencing some visual hallucinations, so that was one of the reasons why I was called in to make sure that she was she was able to make that decision to change her health care proxy. And then in addition, the team had also voiced, you know, concerns that she had come in after a reported suicide attempt, and so making sure that she was able to make that decision.
Speaker 1: Of sound mind.
Speaker 20: And so we actually waited until the next day when she could be reassessed. At that point, her delirium had cleared and she was continuing to make that consistent choice to change her health care proxy to her parents.
Speaker 14: And and in fact, you noted in the medical records that the the the hallucinations were part of of an issue with oxygen.
Speaker 1: It could be that could be one of the reasons.
Speaker 20: Delirium is usually due to a variety of different medical reasons, and oxygen desaturation could be one of them. She had also just recently had anesthesia related to surgery that she had on her spine, so that could be another reason. And then her heart rate was also actually quite elevated, so that could be another reason.
Speaker 14: Is it common for patients who are just coming off of anesthesia from surgery, who have an issue with oxygen and other medical issues that you described to have visual hallucinations, they can.
Speaker 20: It's it's not it's not that everybody does, but they can. And delirium can be quite common after after surgery and particularly anesthesia, and.
Speaker 14: Those hallucinations that she was having, those were resolved by the next day. They were over by the next day. Correct, that's correct, And her choice to change her health care proxy to her parents was consistent the following day. Correct, that's right. You also about the patient has to understand the risks and benefits of the decision.
Speaker 3: Correct, that's correct.
Speaker 14: How do you make sure the patient understands that?
Speaker 20: Yeah, So one of the things we do is really ask patients to take us through their thought process of why they're making that decision and what led to them making that decision at that moment in time. So we're able to kind of see their thought process and ensure that they're understanding, you know, what it means to remove one person and add another, and what.
Speaker 14: Was missus Clancy's thought process in explaining that to you.
Speaker 20: Yeah, she was saying that her parents are quite supportive to her and that she was thinking that she would have to change her health care proxy from her husband to somebody else, And we didn't necessarily go into the reasons as to, you know, why she would have to change it, but she explained that she was very close with her parents. They would see each other frequently given that they lived in close geographic proximity, and that she felt that they were very supportive to her and would have her best interests in mind should we need to invoke the health care proxy, or that she couldn't be if she couldn't make her own medical decisions.
Speaker 14: So was there a concern on her part that her husband wouldn't have her best interests in mind at that point in time? Sustain You also talked about the patient. You have to make sure the patients thinking about the information rationally. How do you how do you go about doing that?
Speaker 20: Yeah, so one of the things we do is really ensure that the patient understands the situation and you know, all of the kind of parts around it. So this comes into play much more when when it's about a specific medical intervention like an invasive medical procedure or something like an amputation or a surgery with a health care proxy. One of the things you want to make sure is that the person that they want to change their health care proxy to or a point does their health care proxy make.
Speaker 1: Sense in the context of their life?
Speaker 20: And you know, ms Clancy was able to talk about how her parents were quite involved in her life, and so that's one of the things that we would assess.
Speaker 14: And then the last thing was making sure the patient understands the risk if the change doesn't happen. Did you go over that with mss Clancy and how did you do that?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did go over that with her.
Speaker 20: We talked a little bit about how it could mean that she would not have a health care proxy were she not to appoint her parents, and so we went through that. You know, it's always in healthcare we always talk about how it's great to have a health care proxy just in case you become unable to make medical decisions and who would you want that to be.
Speaker 14: And during this conversation with the defendant going over all these points, did you ever have difficulty understanding her?
Speaker 17: I did not.
Speaker 14: Did she ever appear to have difficulty understanding you?
Speaker 20: So the first day when I saw her on January twenty ninth, she described herself as feeling confused, and I definitely witnessed that as well. We went through a bedside cognitive evaluation and she definitely made some mistakes on some of the cognitive evaluation.
Speaker 1: Therefore, I did.
Speaker 20: Diagnose her at that time with delirium and then.
Speaker 14: She was reevaluated the following day and there were no issues with her understanding and the delirium was gone correct.
Speaker 8: That's correct.
Speaker 14: And were you aware during this evaluation that Miss Clansley did not have a brain injury?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I can you repeat the question?
Speaker 14: Were you aware that Ms Clancy did not have a brain injury at that time?
Speaker 20: So one of the things that we look at is any kind of relevant medical information that might be available to us. And I noticed that her Glasgow COMA scale when she was transferred to Bringham a Women's Hospital was a ten, which would indicate that she potentially have had a moderate brain injury.
Speaker 1: But I don't recall thinking.
Speaker 20: About whether you know specifically whether she had a brain injury.
Speaker 14: Were you aware that a cat scan was done Page one and ten of the records, and on the cat scan the impression was no acute entracranial findings, so no brain injury.
Speaker 20: So you can essay, I did review the head imaging that was available at the time.
Speaker 1: You can have a normal cat scan and still have a brain injury.
Speaker 14: Were you aware that she had multiple cat scans that showed no bleeding in the brain, no skull fractures, no injuries, visible injuries whatsoever.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but can you repeat the question?
Speaker 14: Were you aware that she had multiple cat scans at Self Shore Hospital and at Brigham and Woman's that showed no skull fractures, no into cranial bleeding, no hemorrhaging, no visible damage whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 14: And were you aware that she was valued at Self Shore Hospital and at the Brigham and she had no external injuries on her head either.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 14: Now she was allowed to change your health care proxy to her parents.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 14: So if someone had an injury, a brain injury to the point where they didn't know what was going on, or they were having trouble processing or thinking, they wouldn't be allowed to change their healthcare.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 1: It depends to what extent.
Speaker 20: Most patients that have either a head injury or severe mental illness, let's say, just anything going on with the brain, retain the ability to make most medical decisions, and we think about changing health care proxies as a pretty low risk decision. As I mentioned before, something like an amputation or a major surgery invasive procedure is something that we would hold somebody to a higher bar, But a health care proxy is a pretty low risk, especially if it makes sense in terms of who they want to change it to.
Speaker 14: And when was her Glasgow score?
Speaker 8: Ten?
Speaker 20: I believe it was as she was being transferred from the outside hospital to Brigham and Women's.
Speaker 14: And you're seeing her several days later, correct, correct? And so when she was transferred from the outside hospital to Brigham, she was unconscious, correct, I believe? So, Okay, so now she's conscious, correct, that's correct. And when she was transferred from the outside hospital to Brigham, she wasn't communicating or speaking or opening her eyes on her own.
Speaker 10: Correct.
Speaker 20: That's what the reports that I was not there at that time, but the notes that I read that's correct.
Speaker 14: So when you're speaking to her a couple days later, she's opening her eyes, she's communicating, she's responsive, she's interacting. Correct. Yes, So it's fair to say that our Glasgow score would be higher than the ten when you were speaking to her.
Speaker 17: Correct.
Speaker 3: Yes, Now.
Speaker 14: You did a mental status examination of her while you were doing this evaluation about her decision making capacity correct. Yes, And it's fair to say under mood you listed okay, yes, that you listed her thought processes organized, goal directed. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 14: You asked her if she was having hallucinations or delusions and she other than those initial ones the first day, she denied those during my evaluation, yes, And she also denied suicidal intent and homicidal intent correct.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 14: And you listed her insight and judgment as fair correct.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 14: Her behavior was calm and cooperative.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 14: And you didn't see anything about her behavior that would indicate to you that she was responding to some type of voices or hallucination that you couldn't.
Speaker 1: See at that moment.
Speaker 20: No, But as I mentioned, I did speak with the nurse beforehand, and Mss Clancy was able to report to me that she reported visual whose nations.
Speaker 14: Overnight overnight after surgery.
Speaker 1: That's right, okay, And then never again, not during my evaluation.
Speaker 14: And did you speak to Mss Clancy again on February nineteenth, twenty twenty three. Yes, And was the purpose for that to prepare her for a transition from Brigham and Women's to Spalding rehabilitation.
Speaker 1: That was one of the reasons, and what were the other reasons?
Speaker 20: So it was an ongoing safety evaluation, ongoing evaluation of psychiatric safety risk as well as medication evaluation to determine if her medications were at the right level, the right dosage, and that she was on the right medications, and then just ongoing evaluation in terms of kind of her mental status.
Speaker 14: And during that meeting, she denied suicidal intent, correct, that's correct, She denied homicidal intent, correct. She denied having auditory or visual hallucinations correct.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 14: She reported her mood as okay. Is that correct? Yes, And she told you she was looking forward to moving to Spalding correct.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 14: She also denied any confusion or disorientation.
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 14: And again you described her mood as okay on that day, yes. And you described her as future oriented on that day.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 14: And then you spoke to her again on February twenty first, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 14: Yes? And on that day this is the same purpose that you just described, getting her ready, assessing her mental status, and getting her ready to transfer to Falding. Yes, okay. And during that time you wrote that the patient reported feeling down about her current situation, her paralysis, and the events leading up to her hospitalization.
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 14: And you also noted that she said her thoughts about what she had done were not constant throughout the day.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 14: Correct, So she wasn't thinking about killing her children throughout.
Speaker 1: The day every day correct? Correct.
Speaker 14: And she said she had no suicidal intent, no homicidal intent. Correct, But full about treatment at Spaulding. Yes, she was future oriented, yes, and she denied suicidal ideation, homicidal ideation. Yes, she denied audio hallucination, visual hallucination, and anything else of that nature.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 18: So doctor from your testimony and correct me if I'm wrong. Was she, to your opinion and your experience, an honest patient telling you what her symptoms were?
Speaker 9: Finish, that's an evaluation and a psychiatric I allow that question. Yes.
Speaker 18: In other words, she didn't go off and try to exaggerate to you and say I'm seeing visions and I'm hearing voices, and I'm suicidally ideated, and I'm homicidally ideated.
Speaker 9: She didn't say any of those things to you, did she She actually denied them? Right?
Speaker 8: Correct?
Speaker 18: So This is not, in your opinion, someone who was trying to exaggerate her conditions for some legal reason.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 18: No, And you obviously were in close contact with her for for about a month, right, just a couple of questions.
Speaker 9: The council'll ask you whether or not.
Speaker 18: And I think it may have been in the beginning in January that you had difficulty understanding her. Obviously, after removing the tools and everything else, you're able to talk with her.
Speaker 9: Correct Correct.
Speaker 18: And you knew that one of the concerns, if you will, was postpartum issues. You knew that, right, yes, And your experience as a psychiatrist, you're familiar with the concept of postpartum psychosis.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 18: And you know that people can communicate and plan and act on plans even if they're in the middle of a psychosis.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 18: You don't have to be drooling and stumbling and unable to walk and talk to be in a psychosis, do you so? In other words, a person can be in a psychosis and can communicate to friends, family, people talk.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 18: Yes, So you didn't, as console asked, you didn't have any difficulty understanding her. She wasn't slurring her words or anything like that when she was able to talk, right, Okay.
Speaker 9: One of the things that.
Speaker 18: When she was admitted and then without going through I'm not going to go through all the stuff we've already talked about with the medical condition and everything else, you indicated.
Speaker 9: That she was very very ill. Correct.
Speaker 8: Correct?
Speaker 9: Did she appear to be cooperative to you when you would interact with her?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 9: As a doctor.
Speaker 18: As a psychiatrist, you're familiar with bipolar, the concept of a bipolar diagnosis.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 9: Can you tell me what bipolar means?
Speaker 20: Yeah, So, bipolar disorder is a mood disorder categorized as a mood disorder where patients have distinct depressive episodes as well as, depending on the type of bipolar disorder, either hypomanic episodes or manic episodes to the point where they don't sleep for days. They still have lots of energy, there's this decreased need for sleep. There could be irritability, there can be impulsiveness, racing thoughts. A lot of patients describe that they're out of control of their behavior, and then severe episodes can also include psychosis.
Speaker 18: In reference to bipolar, as you were referring to when somebody is hypomanic, what does hypomanic mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lesser degree of mania.
Speaker 20: So when patients are hypomanic, they don't always experience things like psychosis, but they might experience some of the other symptoms that I described, including racing thoughts, kind of moving too quickly, talking too quickly, being irritable, And as.
Speaker 18: It relates to the hypomania, would that include things such as somebody who is getting up early in the morning and exercising or cleaning out their house or selling their property out of a garage and having difficulties.
Speaker 9: Sleeping and they're awake all night.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 18: As a psychiatrist, one of the things you were concerned about when you were first started to deal with her, as well as when you were releasing her, if you will, is the medication that she had on board, so to speak, when she came into the hospital, right, Yes, do you remember, and I know it's difficult to recall off hand, but do you recall the medications that she was actually under from purposes of taking her blood.
Speaker 1: When it was tested when she first came to the hospital.
Speaker 20: Yeah, if you know, I believe her medication list for previous to the incident, she was on amatripolene, diazepam. I believe she was also on prescribed laurazapam, and there may have been one other.
Speaker 18: Okay, So looking at that, if I tell you that there was a toxicology report done on her as of January twenty fourth, by way of taking her blood, you familiar with that, right when they analyzed for toxicology, and toxicology obviously would tell us what the medications, if any, what type of drugs she had on board, booze, cocaine, anything, right, Yes, And you're aware that the toxicology report as well as the report from the Department of State Police, as well as the NMS laboratory, which would be in Pennsylvania. So that's an international or a national respected laboratory, isn't it the NMS lab If you know, I don't know, okay, but you know that they did take her blood, They did test her blood, and it was at the State Police laboratory as well as any other labs attested it.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 1: Yes, I believe I found that out later.
Speaker 20: I did not know that the first time I saw her, because those labs take a little bit.
Speaker 18: Of time to sh sure and you treated it for about a month. So you were pretty close to her and got to know her quite well.
Speaker 14: Yes.
Speaker 9: Would you agree with.
Speaker 18: Me that one of the things that her blood reflected or that she was on, was trasodote.
Speaker 9: Yes, tell me what trazodone is.
Speaker 1: Trasidone is an antidepressant medication.
Speaker 20: It's more often utilized as a sleep aid because of one of the side effects is sedation, and so patients that are often having difficulty sleeping are placed on trasidone.
Speaker 18: And is trasidone does that share some of the qualities of what I referred to as SSRIs, even though or SSRA, even though it's not an SSRI, shares similar qualities.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 9: Can you tell me what SSIRI means?
Speaker 20: Yeah, So that's a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, and it's a class of medications that are antidepressants.
Speaker 18: And the ssiris that would also include zoloft for example, correct would also include prozac for example. Yes, Are you, as a psychiatrist aware that zoloft and or ssri prozac should not be prescribed to a patient who has by.
Speaker 1: Polar It can be prescribed.
Speaker 20: Oftentimes it's prescribed together with another medication that can be protective because patients with bipolar disorder may be experiencing depression, and so they may be prescribed in antidepressant but along with another medication that what we call protective.
Speaker 18: And in reference to the SSIRI is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.
Speaker 9: What does that mean? Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. What does that mean?
Speaker 20: Yeah, so oftentimes in depression, patients are kind of lacking serotonin in.
Speaker 1: The spaces in their brain that helps.
Speaker 9: What is serotonin?
Speaker 20: Yeah, serotonin is a neurotransmitter, So it's a hormone in the brain that works on the brain. It works in other areas in the body as well, but for these purposes, it works in the brain at nerve endings throughout the body, and that neurotransmitter helps with things like mood regulation.
Speaker 1: For patients with.
Speaker 20: Depression, they're often lacking kind of that ability to have another serotonin in those spaces, and so a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor prevents serotonin being kind of sucked back into the cell, so it allows for serotonin to be more available.
Speaker 18: And what is an SSA I What does that mean? An antagonist? Selective serotonin antagonist.
Speaker 1: So those are medications that kind of do the opposite, okay, And.
Speaker 18: You knew as a psychiatrist, at least looking at her history, you knew that she had been seeing psychiatrists immediately prior to her suicide attime, correct?
Speaker 17: Correct?
Speaker 18: And you knew that she had been prescribed a number of drugs by these various psychiatrists.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 9: And to your knowledge, was she prescribed diazepam yes? Rellion?
Speaker 18: Was she prescribed busperone otherwise known as van spar Yes?
Speaker 9: About wellbutrin?
Speaker 19: Yes?
Speaker 9: And what is albutrin? Is that an antidepressant?
Speaker 1: It is an antidepressant.
Speaker 9: Hydroxyzine?
Speaker 11: What is hydro It can be used.
Speaker 20: For a number of reasons, but for psychiatric purposes, it's often used as an anti anxiety medication.
Speaker 18: And clonopin, Yes, is hydroxyzine? Is that a strike that clonopin? That's a benzo diazepin.
Speaker 1: Right, that's correct.
Speaker 9: And then la matrigene, Yeah, lomotrigene, lamotrigene. Sorry, yes, what type of type of medication is that? Is that a mood stabilizer?
Speaker 7: It is?
Speaker 20: Yeah, it's also an anti seizure medication, but in the psychiatric realm it's used as a mood stabilizer, and.
Speaker 18: Then we talked about prozac. That's an SSRI correct correct, and what's remarn.
Speaker 1: Also an antidepressant.
Speaker 9: So in addition to all.
Speaker 18: Of the drugs that I had mentioned, she was also prescribed memarn correct correct.
Speaker 9: She was also prescribed sarah quill or.
Speaker 1: Weetipen ye critiopene yes with tytopine okay?
Speaker 20: And what is sarahqual So, sarahquill is an antipsychotic medication, and she.
Speaker 18: Was prescribed, as we already talked, trazodone. She also prescribed amitryptlene. Yes, what is amitriptlene.
Speaker 20: Amatriptlen is one of the older antidepressants. It's a tricyclic antidepressant that can often be used to.
Speaker 1: Help with sleep, but also mood.
Speaker 9: And and ambient correct correct in.
Speaker 20: Zopidine zopidine Yeah, Zolpidem is the generic name of ambient.
Speaker 9: Oh. Okay.
Speaker 18: Some of these drugs they also have what's called a suicide warning or a black box warning.
Speaker 9: Isn't that right?
Speaker 8: Yes? Can you tell me what that means?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 20: So, in studies that have been that have been done, some of them show that they, especially after starting an antidepressant, it can increase someone's risk of suicidality. Many of those studies showed that it was mostly in adolescence and young adults, but it can happen in adults as well.
Speaker 9: And Selexa was also a drug. Is that an s s R too? And all of these drugs that we just went through were all prescribed from September end of September till January.
Speaker 1: Yes, September twenty twenty two sustained.
Speaker 9: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 14: Almost redirect Yes, doctor, all those drugs that defense Counsul just listed, you're aware she wasn't on all of those drugs at the same time, correct, Correct? And did you know that many of those drugs she took very a very small amount of some she didn't take any pills at all.
Speaker 1: I was not aware of that.
Speaker 14: For abuse bar, which is one of the ones he mentioned. Were you aware the first prescription she only took two pills out of that bottle.
Speaker 3: I was not aware.
Speaker 14: Were you aware the second prescription a month or so later form abuse bar she took zero pills.
Speaker 1: Out of that bottle. I was not aware.
Speaker 14: So you're just where you're getting this information about what she was on and when. Yeah.
Speaker 20: So one of the things that we do is try to collect as much information as we can during our assessments, and so we look through the record in terms of what was prescribed. We also talk with other providers as to what they prescribe. But in the context of the assessments that we were doing, it did not require us to determine, you know, what exactly she had been on before, because we were using a different set of medications to treat something different symptoms that she was experiencing.
Speaker 14: So you really have no idea what she was taking or when you just know what was prescribed.
Speaker 20: I know what was prescribed, and then we were also getting reports of what was being taken what wasn't being taken, but.
Speaker 14: From the defendant, correct, Okay, So she's reporting to you that she took those medications, but you'd be surprised to know that at least one of them zero pills were taken.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm surprised, No, okay.
Speaker 14: And you talked about, well talked about prescription and what she was taking. Were you aware that in the timeframe just prior to her being admitted to the hospital, she was only prescribed trasitone valume and immatriptolene just three medications. Yes, and you were asked about you know mania, and you know exercising and cleaning out your garage and selling your belongings could be signs of mania correct.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 14: But there are people who just exercise every day and they're not manic correct correct. And there are people who have a messy garage and have accumulated a lot of junk and decide to clean out the garage that aren't manic correct correct. And in fact, if someone is manic and attempts to do one of those tasks like cleaning out a garage, it's usually in a disorganized way, and oftentimes they don't finish the task correct sometimes. So if someone approaches a task by cleaning out the garage by organizing with another party, organizing the belonging, separating them into keep, sell, throwout, but that's pretty organized behavior correct correct. And if someone sells belongings that they no longer need, that's not necessarily a sign of mania correct correct. That's more if they're selling their stove and then they have nothing to cook with correct correct. So if they're selling junk in their garage that they no longer need, that's not necessarily manic correct not necessarily thank you.
Speaker 8: It's drinking.
Speaker 9: As Consols said, they're exercising every day, and they have a messy garage that obviously would not be indicative of hypermania warning. Probably sure, normal person could have, as Console said it. How about a person that, at the same time can't sleep because the insignia is so bad they go forty eight hours without sleep. Is that something to be considered in the whole evaluation.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 18: How about the fact that a person's saying that my brain is broken and that they can't concentrate, they can't think. Is that something that the person you would consider in conjunction with the messy garage and the exercise. Yes, thoughts of hurting themselves, sidal adeation, that's something that's important to evaluate. Yes, homicidal ideation. Telling your husband that you're having thoughts about hurting your children, that's something you consider, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 18: In reference to Consul's comiment about just three medications that she was on prior to coming trying to commit suicide, you're not aware of the doctors telling her to discontinue this medication. Stat a new medication, go on to a different medication depending on the doctor you're not aware of that right now. And finally, if you know, did she sign a DNR do not res ascitate?
Speaker 20: She asked to the day after the first evaluation that I did of her, which was the capacity assessment to change her health care proxy.
Speaker 1: But in the context of her reporting a.
Speaker 20: Serious suicide attempt, we did not change her code status. We continued to chat with her about that, and she ultimately came to the conclusion that it made sense to make sure that her mental health was stable before she considered her code status.
Speaker 18: Okay, but her initial reaction or her conversations with you, always that she wanted.
Speaker 9: To have a do not Resuscitate status?
Speaker 8: Correct, Thank you? Come up?
Speaker 6: All right, Thank you doctor, Thank you your honor.
Speaker 4: All right, the Jew, we can think the afternoon resiss at this point, So I'm going to ask you to go back to your room and then we'll come back here.
Speaker 10: Approximate tour.
Speaker 9: Okay, all right, excellently, cool.
Speaker 8: Counsel.
Speaker 4: I think we need to address before the break. All right, so we'll be in resiss till about two o'clock.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Date of birth is nine twelve, nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 14: What do you do for a living?
Speaker 1: I am a forensic psychiatrist, and I work on at Brigham and Women's Hospital.
Speaker 14: And what is a forensic psychologist or psychiatrist.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm a forensic psychiatrist by specialty training, and we work in the courts, often doing forensic evaluations of individuals. But I'm also an adult psychiatrist and I work at Brigham and Women's Hospital as an adult psychiatrist on the consult liaison unit.
Speaker 14: And can you just briefly describe your education and training background that qualifies.
Speaker 3: You for this work.
Speaker 1: Sure. I grew up in the South Shore. I went to Dartmouth College and then I went to medical school at UMass Chan Medical School. I then did my psychiatry residency at Harvard Longwood, which consists of Brigaman Women's, Beth Israel, Boston Children's at the time, and after that I did sub specialty training after my psychiatry residency in forensic psychiatry again at UMass Chan Medical School.
Speaker 14: And focusing in on January of twenty twenty three, were you working at the Brigham and Women's Hospital. I was, And specifically on January twenty fifth, twenty twenty three, did you interact with a woman a patient there named Lindsay Clancy.
Speaker 1: I did on January twenty sixth, twenty sixth.
Speaker 14: Okay, in what capacity did you interact with her as a forensic psychiatrist or as a member of the staff at Brigham.
Speaker 1: And Women's I interacted with her as a member of the staff, the psychiatry staff at Brigham and Women's Hospital.
Speaker 14: And did you have a particular role that day on January twenty sixth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was on the Consulate leaves On service, which is the psychiatry service that's called by medical and surgical specialties to help evaluate and provide psychiatric recommendations.
Speaker 14: And when you did you meet with Mss Clancy on that day on the twenty sixth, I did? And was that around fourteen pm that you had that interaction. I think it was somewhere between two and three o'clock, yes, And when you met with Lindsay Clancy, was that in her hospital room in the ICU?
Speaker 7: It was?
Speaker 14: And was she indbated at the time she was? And was she awake?
Speaker 1: She was awake?
Speaker 14: And what was she oriented?
Speaker 1: So she was intubated, so it was difficult for her to really answer a lot a range of questions and so she she gestured to me to be able to write, and so we knew that she was really exhausted and anxious from the entire experience and the evaluation, and so we didn't ask her all of the questions around orientation.
Speaker 14: When she gestured that she wanted to write, did you give her something to write with or something to write on?
Speaker 7: I did?
Speaker 1: And what did you give her paper?
Speaker 14: And did you also give her a pen or something like that?
Speaker 17: I did?
Speaker 14: Was she able to when you asked her certain questions? Was she able to answer those questions by writing the answers on the paper?
Speaker 8: She was?
Speaker 14: And did you ask her about her mood that day?
Speaker 1: I did ask her her mood?
Speaker 14: And what did she write?
Speaker 1: She wrote horrified?
Speaker 14: And what was her affect during this interaction?
Speaker 1: At the time that I saw her, she was intubated, and that in and of itself is very uncomfortable, and so she seemed very anxious.
Speaker 14: And did she write anything else on that paper that you saw?
Speaker 1: Yes, the entire evaluation was done through writing because she couldn't speak.
Speaker 14: So what types of questions were you asking her? And what was she repronging with?
Speaker 1: So we asked her, you know, how are you feeling horrified and then she wrote down do I have an attorney? And I said with my team that at this time, we're just getting to know you and getting to know the case, and we're not sure exactly you know, what is happening. And we asked her do you have questions for us? And she asked, is my body broken? Are my legs straight? And she then asked about can she have visitors? And you know where her family is?
Speaker 14: And when you are asking her questions, what is the goal of the questions that you're asking her? What are you trying to address or assess?
Speaker 1: It depends. Psychiatrists are call for all kinds of issues that happen in the hospital. In this situation, we were asked around you know, diagnosed clarity that there was a likely suicide event that occurred. Can you evaluate her for safety at this time before she goes into.
Speaker 14: Surgery and I know that she was intubated, so she's writing her answers. But based on the answers she wrote on the paper, did she seem to understand the questions you were asking?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 14: And her response is did you understand those?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: She was anxious and she needed breaks. And I said anytime you need a break, we can leave. But she did write to us those particular answers.
Speaker 14: So what she was writing, even when she asked if she had a lawyer, those were things. What she was writing made sense given the situation. She wasn't writing, is there a unicorn in the corner?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 1: Correct? That if there was a unicorn in the corner.
Speaker 14: So what she's asking, do I have an a turn? Are my legs straight? Is my body broken? Those all made sense given the situation she was in. Correct, they were relevant answers and questions she was asking. And are you familiar with the characteristics of psychosis?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 14: And what are the typical signs or symptoms of someone who is in psychosis?
Speaker 1: It really depends and it ranges across a spectrum of symptoms. So we have a whole category of different types of symptoms that we look at for psychosis, and they are different for everyone. But you know, they can be what we call negative symptoms, which are more internal isolating, not responding, not reacting very much. And then we have symptoms like positive symptoms, that's what we call them in psychiatry, but they're a little bit more outward focused, where objectively, you can see what those symptoms are, like being paranoid, darting your eyes around, responding to internal stimuli, which means you're responding to voices, and you know, being within a delusion. So there's all kinds of symptoms and they look different for each and every person.
Speaker 14: In your conversation with Ms Clancy, did you notice any internal or external signs of psychosis.
Speaker 1: At the time, I documented that I did not note those.
Speaker 14: And did you also note that you know she was her thinking was linear, goal oriented, thoughtful, and she didn't appear to be responding to internal stimuli.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is typical language and psychiatric mental statuses, and I did document that what is internal stimuli. Oftentimes it's very difficult for our patients to be able to articulate what they're hearing. They may have perceptual disturbances like hallucinations or auditory hallucinations, and maybe hearing voices. When it's really active, we often see those individuals interacting with those voices. I didn't see that in that particular moment.
Speaker 14: So, for example, you could see someone engaging in a conversation, looks like they're engaging in a conversation with someone or looks like they're looking over at something, thinking something or someone is there when they're not.
Speaker 1: Correct, that's what responding to internal stimuli is.
Speaker 14: And you didn't see any of that present with miss Clancy.
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 14: And would it be fair that some of the obvious signs of psychosis would be someone whose thoughts are disorganized, that they're thinking isn't linear, that they're not making sense things like words salad, where they're just throwing in words, making sentences that don't make sense.
Speaker 1: So you describe symptoms that we can see in people with serious mental illness, who have a psychotic disorder with active symptoms, and.
Speaker 14: You didn't see any of that with Ms Clancy.
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Not in that snapshot moment of time.
Speaker 14: And to be clear, you only saw for a limited amount of time on that one day. Correct.
Speaker 3: That is correct?
Speaker 14: And this is January twenty sixth, twenty twenty three, about a day and a half or so after she's admitted to Brigham in woman's that is correct. Yes, and she's still intubated. And one of the first questions she ask is do I.
Speaker 3: Have a lawyer?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 14: And did you have any based on your training experience, did you have any thoughts about her awareness or thoughtfulness about the questions she asked or the answer she gave.
Speaker 17: It.
Speaker 14: Did you have any assessment professionally of the responses and awareness.
Speaker 8: That she had.
Speaker 1: Yes. At that time, I was trying to assess, you know, is she confused or oriented? Is she completely disorganized? Is she so anxious that she won't be able to sleep? I was assessing suicidality mostly. I was being called into the room for that, and so there were a lot of things that I was assessing all at the same time before the surgical intervention that was going to happen. And did I answer your question, yes, okay.
Speaker 14: And so in doing that and evaluating all of those things, did you have any concerns at that point in time that she couldn't make a decision to have the surgery, or that there was some cause for concern there in her behavior.
Speaker 1: I felt she had the capability to make the decision for surgery at that time.
Speaker 14: Another the questions, thank you, thank you, it's strength.
Speaker 1: Definitely good afternoon.
Speaker 18: So just a couple of questions. The council was asking you about psychosis. Apparently you've dealt with people, some of your patients while you're working in the hospital that in fact were florid, they had psychosis and symptoms of the psychosis.
Speaker 9: Yes, so you've dealt with people. Is it a fair amount of people that would actually hear voices?
Speaker 1: Yes, I've seen many patients that are hearing voices.
Speaker 18: And would they to your knowledge, were they involved with command hallucinations.
Speaker 9: Things of that nature.
Speaker 1: My patients in the past.
Speaker 9: Yes, Yeah, large.
Speaker 18: Amount of people that you've treated over the years that have suffered from command hallucinations, hearing voices, delusions.
Speaker 9: Things of that nature right in my career.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 18: And do you know whether or not there had been any indication from lindsay as to well in the hospital having any delusions or psychosis symptoms of that nature, if you know.
Speaker 1: So I saw her, she had only been in the hospital for a day and a half and I hadn't heard about any psychotic delusions from anything I see.
Speaker 14: I saw her one time once.
Speaker 9: Okay, how long did how long were you evaluating her?
Speaker 1: Probably because she was intubated, it was very excasting. How long about twenty to thirty minutes?
Speaker 9: Twenty minutes, thirty minutes?
Speaker 18: And a psychosis is a psychosis to you knowledge, something that has to continue or does it stop.
Speaker 1: It absolutely depends on the patient. It depends on their age, how many episodes of psychosis they have had, It depends on the type of psychosis we're seeing. For some people they can have moments of clarity, absolutely, and for some it can be more continuous. It really depends on the patient and their illness.
Speaker 18: Okay, So basically you're saying that it would be case specific, Yes, all right, And in the twenty minutes or so that you had when you're dealing with Lindsey, were you aware of her prior medical and psychiatric.
Speaker 1: History when we get consulted on a case we I'm sorry, I mean interrupt you.
Speaker 9: I'm asking were you aware of her medical and psychiatric history?
Speaker 1: I was aware of the portion that was in the medical record before I saw her.
Speaker 9: Okay, so that would deal with as far as postpartum psychosis.
Speaker 1: I could you ask that question man, when you looked.
Speaker 18: At the medical record and when you were involved evaluating her on behalf of the hospital, because you weren't. You weren't a psychiatrist that her mother or father had.
Speaker 9: Retained and asked to go see her, right, correct. You were working for the hospital.
Speaker 1: I was working for Brigham and Women's Hospital, and you had.
Speaker 18: Spoken to a number of people before you interacted with her for the twenty minutes that you saw her while she was.
Speaker 9: There for a month, right, No? Okay? Now, were you aware of her history of docum documented postpartum depression.
Speaker 1: I was aware of mostly the postpartum anxiety that was in the record.
Speaker 18: Yes, and postpartum anxiety. The symptomology would be insomnia.
Speaker 9: Yes. Did she have insomnia prior to seeing you for twenty minutes?
Speaker 14: Yes?
Speaker 9: And do you recall the length of time that she would be suffering from insomnia? Was it like a week, a day, a month or what.
Speaker 1: I don't recall the timing exactly.
Speaker 9: Do you recall that at.
Speaker 18: One point that she was on medication and actually went for forty eight hours without sleep.
Speaker 1: I don't recall that exactly from the record that number.
Speaker 9: Do you recall, in addition to the insomnia, that she was concerned as asking you if in fact her brain was broken?
Speaker 1: She asked me, is my body broken?
Speaker 9: Okay? Did you see in the records that she was concerned about the effect of the drugs and whether or not her brain was broken quote unquote.
Speaker 1: I did not see that language in the records.
Speaker 18: How about acting on command, hallucinations, conversations, just statements to the effect that she was having thoughts of suicidal ideation?
Speaker 1: You know that, right, I did know about the suicidal ideation.
Speaker 18: Yes, How many times did she express to people that she would tell people that she had been concentrating on committing suicide.
Speaker 1: If you know, I don't recall the number of times.
Speaker 9: So, in any event, you know that she was insomnia. You know that there was a significant period of time that she was suffering from insomnia. Knew that she was expressing suicidal ideation. How about homicidal ideation? Did she express that?
Speaker 8: Not?
Speaker 1: From my review of the records?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 18: Would that be indicative of a person that could be in psychosis expressing concerns about homicidal ideation.
Speaker 6: Overall alone?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I don't know that question. Could you repeat that question?
Speaker 9: Is that one of the factors that one would be concerned about as a psychiatrist if a person was expressing homicidal ideation, I would.
Speaker 1: Be concerned about that as a psychiatrist.
Speaker 18: And in fact, in this case, you knew at least about the suicidal ideation that she had been expressing. Right, Yes, But you didn't know about any homicidal ideation.
Speaker 9: She was expressing.
Speaker 1: Right from the records. I knew that there was an event that had occurred and that.
Speaker 9: The children died.
Speaker 18: That's the event you're referring to, right, Yes, Okay, next question, now, as far as the period of time that she.
Speaker 9: Was involved with. By the way, what's hypomania.
Speaker 1: Hypomania is sort of the gradual increase towards mania, the symptoms that we see in somebody who might have bipolar disorder. And with bipolar disorder, we see mixed depression and we see mania, and we see symptoms that kind of gradually increase to mania, and we call that period hypomania.
Speaker 9: Did she exhibit, to your knowledge from the medical records, any periods of hypermania, excessive cleaning, exercise, or activities, being awake at night, things of that nature.
Speaker 1: At that moment on January twenty sixth, I don't remember reading about that, Okay.
Speaker 18: Do you have any memory of reading about it at all other than that moment. As a treating physician, a doctor.
Speaker 10: Psychiatrist, I don't remember.
Speaker 9: So what is your purpose at the hospital.
Speaker 18: I mean, you're not treating the person for any illness that they have as far as their mental condition, right, you're not treating them.
Speaker 1: We are, Oh, you are, yes, So you're.
Speaker 18: Concerned about obviously their symptomology of any that they present at the time that you're looking at them and talking to them.
Speaker 9: Or in this case, she couldn't talk.
Speaker 1: But she couldn't talk, and she was going into surgery, and we had recommended suicidal precautions, We had recommended trauma informed care so that she was getting the care that she needed. She was going to go into surgery, and then after that we were going to continue to follow her and assess her and make sure that we were evaluating her appropriately and making recommendations to the surgical team for the care that she needed.
Speaker 8: Go said objection.
Speaker 9: So, when you're dealing with this person that's going into surgery, did you know what type of surgery she was going in for?
Speaker 1: At the time, we knew that she was going into surgery for her spine?
Speaker 8: Did you know what happened with spaine?
Speaker 1: I knew that she had injuries to her spine.
Speaker 18: Did you know that there was a transaction injury that her spine was basically exploded and five six other thoracic vertebrae fractioned, including the cervical vertebrae up by her throat.
Speaker 1: You knew all that we were reading about. It was all actively happening at that time. Was she in pain, Yes, I'm sure she was.
Speaker 9: Was she on medication?
Speaker 8: She was on.
Speaker 1: She was on a few medications related to pain and blood pressure.
Speaker 9: So she's brought into the hospital. You knew from reviewing her records as a psychiatrist that, in fact, she coded the day before, right.
Speaker 1: I don't recall her coding the day before I saw her. I do recall from the records that she had a coding event after, I think on the twenty seventh or twenty eighth.
Speaker 9: Okay, So you were not involved with her when she coded. Did you know that she had any events of that nature right after she was brought from the South Shore Hospital?
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're referring to.
Speaker 9: You know what a code is, right, Yes, you almost die before you saw her.
Speaker 1: I think it was after.
Speaker 9: Okay. How about profusion blood in the body and tubes being inserted into a chest?
Speaker 1: Did you know that from looking at the records, I think that happened after, But I don't recall because I don't have the records on me.
Speaker 9: Okay, so did you know that she had massive transfusions? Not at on this jury that it was after she saw you that she coded, had transfusions, had double tubes put into her both sides of her lungs. It's you had testimlonity that it was after she saw you.
Speaker 10: You don't know, do you.
Speaker 1: My understanding is the surgery happened after I saw her?
Speaker 8: Oh, the surgery did.
Speaker 9: I'm asking you about the massive transfusions. I'm asking you about the toobs being inserted so that the three hundred milligrams and whatever it is of blood can be perfused to take them out of her chest.
Speaker 8: Cat.
Speaker 18: I'm asking about whether or not you knew that she had coded. I'm not asking about the surgery, obviously, that took place after you saw her, right.
Speaker 9: Asked, An answered, because that's why you were talking to her, right to see if she could make an informed consent to a surgery. I guess no.
Speaker 1: I was called for the for the suicidal ideation.
Speaker 9: The suicidal ideation continues to this day?
Speaker 8: Is it not objectionally sustained?
Speaker 18: Did the suicidal ideation that you were concerned about continue the time that she was in bringing the woman's hospital.
Speaker 7: For a month.
Speaker 1: I saw her one time, right, Yes, so you.
Speaker 9: Know nothing about suicidal ideation after you saw her intubated and then laying in the bed, and then you talk to her as you've discussed with the jury.
Speaker 1: Right, that's correct, that's it, that's correct.
Speaker 9: How about the so many cops were there? I don't recall there were some, right, there were armed men in that room, were they not?
Speaker 1: I don't recall. I think they were outside the room if I remember correctly from three years ago.
Speaker 9: Okay, I know it's been a while. Do you recall armed police officers being outside the room?
Speaker 10: I think I.
Speaker 1: Don't recall.
Speaker 18: Do you have any memory of any police officers being outside the room where she was laying in that bed?
Speaker 1: I knew she was in custody, and generally in custody.
Speaker 9: No, no, not generally. Let's talk about Lindsay Clanton.
Speaker 1: I can't recall.
Speaker 18: Okay, did you know that she couldn't even have visitors in the sense that the police would not even let her mother or father visit with her.
Speaker 1: I can't recall.
Speaker 9: Did you know that when you were dealing with her, was she handcuffed to the side of the granny of stretch.
Speaker 1: She had a soft restraint according to my documentation restraints.
Speaker 9: Okay, yes, did you have any conversation with the police at all? No, And after you spoke to her for twenty minutes, that really ended your involvement with Lindsay Clancy until today.
Speaker 16: Right, That is correct?
Speaker 9: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 14: Doctor. When you were being asked about these records that you reviewed, what records did you review?
Speaker 1: I reviewed the records in EPIC, which is our medical record at Brigham and Women's Hospital, And.
Speaker 14: So you didn't do a deep dive into mss Clancy's entire psychiatric history prior to coming to Brigham and Woman's. Correct.
Speaker 1: I did as you do, as is protocol for a consult You look at the records and you make sure you have an understanding of what's been happening with the patient.
Speaker 14: But did you have access at that time to all all the records for all the treatment providers Ms Clancy had seen regarding her mental health for the last six months?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't even know you get I had some of the records. I don't know if I had all of the records.
Speaker 14: And so you reviewed what you had correct, correct, and then you met with the patient.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 14: Correct, And in meeting with her, where she's you know, she's she's she's had these events happen, she's had the tubes in her chest. She she's about to go into surgery. One of the first things on her mind is do I have a lawyer? Correct?
Speaker 9: Secondly, this is the fourth time the counsul has tried to accentuate that.
Speaker 6: Well, I love that question.
Speaker 14: Well, that was one of her first thoughts was do I have a lawyer?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 1: She wasn't able, she was exhausted, she was intbated, she could barely talk, she was writing, and she was getting ready for surgery. And so those were the few questions that came up.
Speaker 14: Right, She's exhausted, she's anxious, she's in pain, she's about to go in for surgery, and she wants to know do I have a lawyer?
Speaker 8: Sustained.
Speaker 14: So, given the condition she was in at that time, you know, the defense counsel asked you about the pain she was in. Defense counsel asked you about the surgery she was about to go into. Those are the issues that she was focused on in your conversation with her. And I broken, are my legs straight?
Speaker 1: Do I have a lawyer.
Speaker 10: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 18: She wasn't focused on much well, she was exhausted, in pain, anxious and concerned about the future surgery that she was imminent.
Speaker 4: Was she.
Speaker 9: If you could speak up?
Speaker 6: Asked that question.
Speaker 18: She wasn't focused on much of anything while she was exhausted, in pain, unable to talk, and anticipating imminent surgery.
Speaker 8: Right, that's correct, thank you, that's all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, anything, come hi, thank you doctor, Thank you, thank you. Hye camel.
Speaker 7: Common would called Robert Flynn as its next witness.
Speaker 4: Please, thanks stuff please a rkay afternoon, sir, Yeah, twenty bucky and please thank you.
Speaker 7: Good afternoon. Could you please tell the jurors your.
Speaker 21: First and last name, Robert Flynn f l Y And then and how are you employed, sir?
Speaker 13: For the Duxbury Please Apartment.
Speaker 7: What is your current ranker assignment there?
Speaker 13: Currently? I am a patrol sergeant.
Speaker 21: How long have you been with the Duxbury Police About seven and a half years, going back.
Speaker 7: To January of twenty twenty three. What was your assignment then?
Speaker 13: I was assigned to the detective Bureau.
Speaker 7: So if I draw your attention to January twenty fourth of twenty twenty three, were you working that day or were you called in both?
Speaker 13: I worked at the eight am to four pm shift and I was called in and later after my shift.
Speaker 7: Okay, So you became aware of an incident that occurred in the town of Duxbury approximately six pm that evening, yes, ma'am. And so when you come back in after working that day shift, where do you go or where are you directed to go?
Speaker 13: I was contacted by a sergeant Detective Jamali, who informed me to respond to forty seven Summer Street.
Speaker 7: And so while you're en route to that location, are you monitoring the radio, yes, ma'am. And are you monitoring communications with other Duxbury officers?
Speaker 13: Yes, ma'am. I had a department issued vehicle that I took home and I responded to it in that vehicle, and I had scan on, which is getting all surrounding agencies, including fire, Pembrooke, Kingston, Marshfield.
Speaker 7: And while you were en route and had that radio on, could you hear officers screaming and being chaotic?
Speaker 9: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 7: When you arrived at forty seven Summers were there already other first responders there?
Speaker 13: Yes'm?
Speaker 7: And is it fair to say that when you actually arrived at that location, you were made aware that the children that were on scene had already been transported. No, okay, So what did you know when you arrived?
Speaker 13: What did you did appear that a mother had killed her three kids?
Speaker 7: Okay when you got there on the scene, were the children still in the house?
Speaker 13: So I was under the impression that they were still in the house, because most incidents I've had involving a sudden death at a house, the fire department declares them on scene and it becomes a police matter and we.
Speaker 8: Help the investigation.
Speaker 7: Okay, that was your understanding based on the information that you had. Correct. But did you come to learn that the children had been transported? And how about the individual the person the fourth person if you will, on scene where you would vi that there was a woman who had been transported from the scene as well. Yes, And as a result of kind of the nature of what you believed you were coming into, did you call for extra help.
Speaker 21: With that are own department or with an outside department.
Speaker 13: Death investigation in town of Duxbury and other communities. So we are to notify investigators of the state police, and as.
Speaker 7: A detective of the Dexbury Police, you're familiar with that relationship with the state police that oftentimes when a death investigation occurs, that you work in connection with the state police detective unit of that jurisdiction to conduct an investigation. Correct. And so in this instance, when you went there, you believed that the children had already passed, so you made that phone call to the detective's unit.
Speaker 13: Correct, that's correct.
Speaker 7: And certainly well sometime thereafter you wore advice of the children's passing and that this was a death invest stigation. Correct, that's correct. Once the children had been removed from the scene and the defendant had been removed to the scene, did you and your other officers from the Duxbury Police Department do anything to secure the scene?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I was.
Speaker 13: Once we gathered more information and I notified the Master's State Police, we decided to conduct a security sweep of the house. This is to make sure that there was no further suspects or for their victims or any other people in the house that we may have missed.
Speaker 7: In regards to the security sweep, what is the goal you just described Its to kind of identify their other people. But as far as your observations and your contact within the house. You try to minimize your contact within the house in those instances.
Speaker 13: Yes, I'm not searching for any type of evidence and just have different observations that I obviously noticed.
Speaker 7: And what areas of the house did you go into prior to their arrival of the state police?
Speaker 13: I first entered. I entered with three three of us, Sagan Patricus who's from the king Sipolice apartment, and it was the Lieutenant Wiler at the time. So we all kind of went into our own separate rooms and separate ways throughout the house. But I think ultimately all three of us went to all three floors of the.
Speaker 10: Home, okay.
Speaker 7: And so talking first about the main floor of the house, did you go into the kitchen area? Yes, I did, And did you make any observations in that kitchen area?
Speaker 10: I observed it.
Speaker 13: Was clear to me that there was young children living there. There was some paintings on the wall. I noticed a.
Speaker 9: Takeout food bag.
Speaker 13: The only word I remember from that is it being Mediterranean written on the receipt.
Speaker 7: Okay, And if I may approach with a picture showing you the picture is just accurately depicted the kitchen area that you observed.
Speaker 10: May be admitted.
Speaker 7: Showing you on the screen what's snow ben marked at four? This is the kitchen at forty seven Summer Street. And in the middle of the photograph is a takeout bide correct.
Speaker 13: Yes, Pam.
Speaker 7: And you're aware that in the background here of the photograph where there's a kitchen table, there's kind of a door.
Speaker 13: Next to it, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 5: And then there's on the other opposite side there's a.
Speaker 7: Slider door correct.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 7: And in addition to making those general observations about the kitchen area, did you go in other areas of the main floor.
Speaker 10: Of the house?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 17: I did.
Speaker 7: And in the living room area, I'm sure you what's been marked already is a bit twenty five. Is that familiar to you as well?
Speaker 9: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 7: And again, upon your kind of sweep of this house, what stood out to you about the living room.
Speaker 13: Area that appeared a young child lived there and there was food on the couch, the snack and then this.
Speaker 24: Photograph can you see a couple of holes of here on the bottom of the photo and the further up on the couch, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 7: Now in that main area of the house, you didn't find any other individuals correct?
Speaker 13: Negative?
Speaker 7: And had you been made aware that the husband, Patrick Clancy had been a here to say? This was still upon your arrival, a pretty chaotic scene.
Speaker 13: Correct.
Speaker 7: There was a lot of firefighters around, a lot of equipment going around.
Speaker 13: Correct.
Speaker 7: Okay, in that basement, did you do a full sweep of every room in the basement, Like.
Speaker 13: I said, three of us too, combined and made sure that we at least hit every part that a human or something could be in. So yes, okay, But.
Speaker 7: As far as you yourself, fair to say you just kind of went in on the left side.
Speaker 21: Yes, I went into the left And did you see.
Speaker 7: A lot of the firefighters equipment still left behind? Yes, a lot of medical supplies. Now going up to now the second floor. Did you go to the second.
Speaker 8: Floor of the home the Florida Yes, yes.
Speaker 7: And did you enter into the master bedroom?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: And is there anything that kind of struck you about walking into that master bedroom as far as the temperature.
Speaker 13: Of the room, it was colder than the rest of the house.
Speaker 7: And did you notice that there was in fact a window open, yes, ma'am. So I'm just going to show you what's been market. Is that familiar to you as the window that you observed open.
Speaker 9: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 7: And as far as the furniture in that bedroom, did you make any observations of a bed in the room?
Speaker 13: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 7: Was there anything that stood out to you on the bedding or in the area of the.
Speaker 21: Bed, the bedding itself, if it stood out to you, not necessarily?
Speaker 7: No, how about items on the bed, yeah, so.
Speaker 13: Sorry Triguez point out that there was a cell phone on the bed.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm just going.
Speaker 10: To show you.
Speaker 7: See an object. Is that how it appeared when you first entered into the bedroom, yes, ma'am. At some point, were you able to go out to the backyard of.
Speaker 13: The home, yes, ma'am. So after leaving the upstairs, we went back through the kitchen and that's we talked about earlier, and went up through the backslider.
Speaker 7: And were you able to make observations of the backyard area.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 13: We came out to a porch and took a left which would have been the back right side of the house, and there was some matted doow snow and some other medical equipment, which we believed was the window that Lindsay Clancy came out of.
Speaker 7: And from that area that vantage point in the backyard where you were, could you see into other areas of the house?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: In what areas of the house? Could you see into Near where that area was?
Speaker 13: There was a basement window that kind of went into but I later learned what it was, but a basement window to like an office or gym area.
Speaker 7: Shay Exhibit thirty eight. Is that unfamiliar as the backyard view?
Speaker 10: Yes, ma'am and fair to say.
Speaker 7: There's an area here of.
Speaker 24: The photo that I'm pointing to you with my pen, which is kind of on my right that is a window. Well, is that the window you could see into? And then again in this photograph, do you see the open window that you observed when you went into the bed.
Speaker 7: Yes, As far as that open window when you were in the backyard, did you see any screens or anything around the property that would give you any indication of how that window was open or the condition of the window.
Speaker 13: No, to me, appeal that the scream was just pushed out.
Speaker 7: Now again, as you and and did three other investigators did that sweep at the house? You didn't touch or move anything? Correct?
Speaker 9: Negative?
Speaker 7: And once you were did that security sweep? Is there a protocol in place to make sure that the scene remains as it is until the state police arrived.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so there was. One of the officers was logging individuals that were in and out of the house. Crime scene tape was put up around the property, though doors were secured, And around this time is when I received a phone call from.
Speaker 7: Trooper mckellokan and did you remain on scene.
Speaker 13: We remained on scene until some troopers showed up to the area.
Speaker 7: And while you were on scene, did you attempt to help coordinate other members of the Duxbury Police Department to take care of other things like going to the hospitals and securing coverage.
Speaker 13: The decision for who was going to the hospital was made by our command staff, but I met some of the troopers out back at the station to coordinate further.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 7: And when you were back at the station, were you aware or advised that a search point was sought for the residents. Did you go back to forty seven Summers Street with the team when the search warrant was received and did you participate in the execution of that warrant?
Speaker 13: I was present during it.
Speaker 7: Okay, fair to say that you didn't. You weren't responsible for searching any particular location or collecting any evidence, No, ma'am. That was reserved for the state police.
Speaker 13: For the most part.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 7: At the conclusion of that search warrant, were you asked to go back into the house, yes, ma'am. And what were you asked to go back in the house to do once the.
Speaker 13: Search warm was completed. My lieutenant told me to go back up into the house and close the window in the upstairs bedroom.
Speaker 7: And when you went back in and got closer to that window, did you make any observations of damage to the window or the window screen. No, and were able to close it and secure the window eventually. Yes, fair to say there was blood in that area that kind of was in the way.
Speaker 13: Yes, in the bed was kind of pushed in front of it, So did you have.
Speaker 7: To move the bed in order to get to the window. As far as anything removed from the home, did you go back into the basement at somebody's direction at some point? Had you helped to remove some medical equipment that the fire department.
Speaker 21: Had left behind during the search part?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 7: And is that the only items that you yourself removed from the home?
Speaker 9: Correct?
Speaker 7: As part of the follow up investigation, did you work with Trooper mc gallaghan and some of the other troopers from the State Police Detective Unit to conduct follow up interviews and gather more information? Is it fair to say that the state Police were the primary investigators and they took over pretty much everything from that point on.
Speaker 13: That's correct.
Speaker 7: Thank you, I'm miss ray.
Speaker 9: I have no questions. Thank you, sir.
Speaker 8: All right, thank you, sir, thank you.
Speaker 14: I'm well called Mark Ferrioli.
Speaker 4: A right, good athnute sir, an, thank.
Speaker 14: You, good afternoon. Can you please stay and spell your name for the record.
Speaker 10: I'm Detective Mark Ferrioly far iol I. Where do you work the Massachusetts State Police?
Speaker 14: How long have you been a state tripper?
Speaker 10: Since two thousand and five?
Speaker 14: And back in January of twenty twenty three, where were you assigned within the State Police?
Speaker 10: I was assigned to the Plymouth County State Police Detective Unit. And were you.
Speaker 14: Involved in a limited way in the investigation regarding Lindsay Clancy.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was, and specifically.
Speaker 14: Directing your attention to January twenty seventh, twenty twenty three, were you aware that a search warrant was obtained on that date to collect the blood in urine of Lindsay Clancy from Selfshare Hospital, Yes.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 14: And then directing your attention to January thirty first, twenty twenty three, at ten twenty five in the morning, did you go to the Selfshore Hospital to collect the blood and urine of Lindsay Clancy?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 8: I did?
Speaker 14: And where did you collect that?
Speaker 10: From the lab at Social Hospital?
Speaker 14: And was that from the specimen process supervisor Melissa ker Dupain, Yes it was. And if you recall how many vials you collected in total?
Speaker 10: I collected seven vials and was that all blood or urine or both? Six were blood vials and one was urine.
Speaker 14: And once you collected those vials, where did you bring them?
Speaker 10: I brought them directly to the Massachusetts State Lab in Lakeville.
Speaker 14: And did you drop those off at the State Lab at approximately eleven fifteen am on January thirty first, twenty twenty three, Yes, I did. Do you recall who you gave the vials of blood and urine belonging to Lindsay Clancy too at the lab?
Speaker 10: Leah O'Connell, Thank.
Speaker 8: You, it's Randon right.
Speaker 9: We have stipulated to the train of custody. Any questions right, all right, thank you, suirre having no time. Hi, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 14: Aliah O'Connell, Hey, good afternoon, Good afternon sa Hi council, thank you, good afternoon. Can you please stay and spell your name for the record.
Speaker 3: My name is Leah O'Connell L E A H O C O N N E L L.
Speaker 1: Where do you work currently?
Speaker 7: I'm employed with the Massachusetts State Police as a trooper.
Speaker 14: Back in January of twenty twenty three, were you also employed with the State Police?
Speaker 7: I was at the crime lab and what were your.
Speaker 14: Responsibilities at the crime lab at that time?
Speaker 17: So?
Speaker 7: I was a forensic evidence technician, So we were evidence submitted to the lab for testing.
Speaker 14: And once you receive that evidence, while we had some local offices there with us as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 18: So it was law enforcement that found the pill bottles in the kitchen, right I believe so, and seized.
Speaker 9: Them, is that correct? Correct? And documented that they had seized them in the kitchen, feeling someone whoever it was, that it was relevant material to this investigation, right correct? And the books that we've just gone through, Patrick.
Speaker 18: Plans would be relevant material to this investigation, right correct?
Speaker 10: Yes, anxiety work right correct?
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 18: One of the documents pregnant, right, yes, one or another notebook that had post ittum depression of anxiety.
Speaker 7: Correct.
Speaker 9: Yes, there were also whether.
Speaker 18: Documents that were said in the house and introduced the record civity one.
Speaker 9: Uh yeah, it looks like a diary three of sweat.
Speaker 8: Blow last night, I believe so. Yes.
Speaker 9: Do you know why all these were se.
Speaker 10: Why the books that I.
Speaker 13: Seized was seized?
Speaker 9: You investigate lieutenant.
Speaker 25: Decided I'm a captain, sir. Yes, sir, And back then, what was your new captain? I was a lieutenant at that time?
Speaker 8: Search.
Speaker 25: No, there was also a detective lieutenant assigned unit commander at that time.
Speaker 5: So, but your enough and you knew the investigation.
Speaker 9: What was relevant in material in the investigation?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 18: And and I obviously you or somebody else working with you determined that all of these items, the pills that were sees, the books that were seized from the kitchen, et cetera, were relevant and material correct.
Speaker 9: Yes. Do you know who searched the bedroom? I know you said you were in there. Did you search the bedroom?
Speaker 25: I was part of the team that searched the bedroom. There were a number of other offices that searched the bedroom as well. I believe in the report it documents who sees what from the bedroom? Okay, So I don't know off the top of my head who that was, sir, but I know it's.
Speaker 10: Clearly labeled in the report.
Speaker 9: Okay, do you have the report?
Speaker 23: I do not know.
Speaker 9: Do you recall how many.
Speaker 18: Law officers were actually involved in that little bedroom searching?
Speaker 10: I would have to guess the approximately five.
Speaker 18: Vibe And as Consul asked, when somebody discovered something that appeared to be relevant to the material, they would log it in. Somebody would kind of be the record keeper, would log it in.
Speaker 9: Correct. Yes, is one of the things that you would also, you, yourself, I believe sees would be the laptop computers that were downstairs in the office, right, Yes, and you seized also collectively you, I mean you or the other five people seized the cell phone that was on the bed.
Speaker 10: Yes, I believe there was a cell phone seize from the bedroom.
Speaker 18: So it made sense as an investigator that electronic media and things of that nature would be important.
Speaker 9: Correct. Yes, was there an Apple Watch involved in this investigation?
Speaker 25: If you know, I believe there was an Apple Watch recovered after the fact, that was.
Speaker 10: We didn't recover at the search warrant, if I recall correctly, do.
Speaker 9: You know when it was recovered?
Speaker 10: I don't know exactly off the top of my head.
Speaker 9: No Apple watch that I recovered with Pat Clancy, I believe Selsa.
Speaker 25: Yeah, I believe there was a watch that was turned into us after the fact that wasn't recovered during the search warrant.
Speaker 9: Looking at.
Speaker 18: Raw, do you recall it next to the mad in the bedroom there was a night stand. There was a draw, and inside the draw, we're a bunch of pill bottles, an Apple watch, sleeping.
Speaker 9: Aids that nature.
Speaker 10: I didn't search that draw, sir.
Speaker 9: Okay. I don't even know about just asking why nobody's search.
Speaker 10: I don't know that it wasn't searched. I just know that I didn't search it, sir. So it may have been searched, and maybe who ever searched it didn't feel.
Speaker 25: That that information was pertinent to seize. I can't speak for them, but I can tell you that I didn't search at draw.
Speaker 6: We directed all right, thank you, sir?
Speaker 5: As his next witness.
Speaker 6: Okay, afternoon, sir.
Speaker 7: Be Bucky, please thank you, good afternoon. Could you please tell.
Speaker 21: The Jursey your first and last name Corey Mellow And.
Speaker 7: Can you spell your first name for the Recordy.
Speaker 10: And your last name am Mel?
Speaker 7: And how are you employed work for the State Police in what unit or what's your current assignment with the state Police Currently?
Speaker 13: I work for the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Section.
Speaker 7: Going back to January of twenty twenty three, what was your assignment then?
Speaker 13: I worked for the Plens Colony District Attorney's Office at that time.
Speaker 7: With the State Police Detective Unit. Correct, Yes, And I'm going to draw your attention to January twenty fourth, twenty twenty three. Were you involved in the investigation into the incident that occurred at forty seven Summer Street in Duxbury on January twenty fourth? Yes, I was, and fair to say that when State Police got involved in that investigation, a large group of the State Police Detective Unit went out to Duxbury to work that investigation.
Speaker 13: Correct.
Speaker 7: Were you the case officer in that case? I was not the case Your role in that case was that to assist in things like search warrants, neighborhood canvases, interviewing of witnesses.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 7: Yes, And in this particular investigation, you're aware that there was a search warrant executed at forty seven Summer Street after the incident occurred.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 7: Correct, And as part of the search weren't execution? Were you involved in searching the home?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: I was. And did you search the various floors of the home, meaning the basement, that first floor, and the second floor.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 7: In searching that home there were a number of other detectives and troopers also searching correct.
Speaker 13: Correct.
Speaker 7: Do you recall locating a phone in the upstairs bedroom, a laptop, some workout bands in the basement that were hanging on the door.
Speaker 9: Yes, I do.
Speaker 7: And when you recovered these particular items are relocated these items, did you then turn them into an evidence officer, direct an evidence officer to things that you thought might have some evidentiary value.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 7: At some point after the search warrant was over, You're aware a lot of items were brought back for exam fur their examination correct.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 7: Is that common that when you're working on a search warrant but things are kind of.
Speaker 14: All right?
Speaker 7: Is it common that a lot of times search warrant things are collected and brought back for further examination.
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: Is that because it's kind of chaotic there and can't really examine things thoroughly on scene.
Speaker 13: That's correct.
Speaker 7: Yes, So in this particular circumstance, were you asked to review some books and journals?
Speaker 9: Yes? I was, and Goma it's a sleeping grate foot Pat Pat is handling nighttime stuff, Julie for making a plan for me. A big thing is I feel disconnected with myself time reality. I think going back to work will help with that. If you wrote that right, correct? And then there are numbers of pages twenty two of sixty three, twenty four, twenty five, twenty six, twenty seven, twenty eight, all reproducing what council asked you about and what I just went through that were from those journals, right correct. Do you have anything to do with the search of the house yes? Did you search in the bedroom? Yes? How many other people were with you searching in the bedroom?
Speaker 10: I don't call how many other people of the me at that time? I'm not aware.
Speaker 9: Did you see the draw?
Speaker 13: I don't recall what I don't recall?
Speaker 9: Okay, so yeah, redirect, thank you?
Speaker 10: All right, thank you sir.
Speaker 6: Now I see it, Cybar all right, So bim's the jury. We're going to break at this point until tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Talk talking to console my expectation is we have a similar schedule tomorrow.
Speaker 9: The hope would be I will go in the morning.
Speaker 8: And should go into the afternoon.
Speaker 4: But just to give you the that's the best estimate that we have, all right, and so I'm gonna excuse.
Speaker 6: You till tomorrow. We're gonna ask you those questions. I don't listen to anything, don't.
Speaker 4: Talk about this, don't take any road trips or do any research on this. Put this out of your head as best you can go tomorrow morning. Hopefully the rate is stop and we'll see everybody tomorrow. Thank you so much for all your work here today.
Speaker 13: Thank you.
Speaker 5: All right. Sure notebooks are basing on the trais follow.
Speaker 4: All right, So we'll be in recess on this until tomorrow morning at nine.
Speaker 13: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 23: All right.
Speaker 8: Place