Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack this. Have you ever found yourself wrestling with repetitive tasks in your IT infrastructure, you know, copying commands from some messy document, making tiny tweaks, and then just crossing your fingers hoping it all works. What if there was a dramatically better way, a way to automate, streamline and even share those IT operations.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a scenario that it's close to home for so many of us in tech. That constant manual effort, the inefficiency, and frankly, the lurking risk of human error. It's a major pain.
Speaker 1: Point, exactly, and that's precisely why today we're taking a deep dive into an incredibly powerful automation tool called antsable. We're drawing our insights from learn ansable, which is really a fantastic resource for anyone looking to get into automation.
Speaker 2: He really is.
Speaker 1: Our mission today is to pull out the most impactful nuggets from this material, giving you a real shortcut, a shortcut to understanding how ansable can revolutionize the way you manage everything from say, simple web servers to vast complex cloud deployments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll explo or its core philosophy some maybe surprising capabilities, and ultimately how it brings structure and consistency to your technical life. It's really about empowering you to build more reliable system.
Speaker 1: And reclaim your valuable time. Right, absolutely, Okay, let's kick things off with something pretty cool. Actually a surprising fact that kind of sets the stage. Did you know the name ansable actually comes from science fiction? Oh? Yeah, yeah. Back in nineteen sixty six, Ursula k Legwin coined the term. It described this fictional device capable of sending messages faster than light, you know, across interstellar distances.
Speaker 2: Huh. And when you think about it, that origin story is incredibly fitting for the software, isn't it. Ansible lets you have this rapid remote communication with all your infrastructure. It's like Legwin's device in a way.
Speaker 1: It's a brilliant metaphor.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The core insight is that it kind of collapses the distance between you and your machines. Yeah. Allows for near instant deployment, near instant management, and.
Speaker 1: The software really lives up to that, especially with it's core principles. First off, it's agentless, right.
Speaker 2: And this isn't just a technical detail, it's a fundamental simplification how so well, Unlike a lot of other cools that make you install special software agents on every single machine you want to manage, ansable uses standard, widely available protocols like SSH exactly SSH for Linux and macOS and WinRM that's Windows Remote Management for Windows.
Speaker 1: So no extra software to maintain on the target machines.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it's a monumental advantage. No extra ports to open, no agents to update or troubleshoot, and your security posture is simpler. Your main control machine just needs basic network access to the target operationally.
Speaker 1: That must save a ton of headache.
Speaker 2: Oh it slashes the overhead ongoing agent maintenance just disappears, makes your infrastructure and inherently more robust, I think.
Speaker 1: And it's wonderfully minimal too. Right on your Linux targets, what you just need Ssh and Python installed.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, that's usually it, No complex dependencies to untangle.
Speaker 1: That simplicity it carries over into how you actually describe your infrastructure it does.
Speaker 2: Ansable uses a language Yammel that's remarkably human readable, but it's also perfectly machine executable. This descriptive, straightforward approach makes it highly intuitive, easy to pick up, even if you're totally new to automation.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, if I'm about a really key difference. Something that often trips people up when they're first learning automation tools. It's the philosophical approach, right, how they manage state?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Exactly. Many configuration tools, like Puppet or chef the use what's called a declarative.
Speaker 1: Approach, meaning you define the end state you want.
Speaker 2: Right, You say, I want this system to look like this, and the tool then figures out the steps to get there.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds reasonable.
Speaker 2: It can be, but from a broader perspective. While declarative tools aim for eventual consistency, they can introduce some tricky challenges, especially with dependencies.
Speaker 1: Like what, give me an example.
Speaker 2: Okay, imagine trying to create a user before their required group even exists.
Speaker 1: Ah, okay, the tool wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: The order exactly. A declarative tool might just fail on the first run. Then you write it again, maybe it creates the group, then a third time it creates the user. It might require multiple runs to finally converge on that desired state, which.
Speaker 1: Can be frustrating, especially if you've got hundreds of steps. You could be stuck debugging and rerunning constantly precisely.
Speaker 2: Ansable, on the other hand, takes an imperative approach.
Speaker 1: Imperative meaning you tell it exactly what to do, step by step.
Speaker 2: You got it. You define the exact order in which each task executes. You explicitly say create group, then create user in that group. Ansible executes them in that precise sequence.
Speaker 1: So it ensures a predictable flow exactly.
Speaker 2: It elegantly sidesteps those tricky dependency errors, saves immense debugging time, especially in complex setups.
Speaker 1: That predictability sounds like a huge relief. And here's another critical point you mentioned earlier. Antsable isn't just configuration management. It's also an orchestration tool.
Speaker 2: Right, And what's really powerful here is you can use answable to say, launch a server, install an entire software stack like a Lampe stack, you know, Linux, Apache, Dbphp, and then you're done with that host.
Speaker 1: No lingering agents checking in.
Speaker 2: Nope, no lingering agents continuously policing its state, Which leads to an important question for you, the listener, What potential points of failure? What unnecessary complexity can you get rid of by not having agents constantly phoning home?
Speaker 1: For many places. That means a leaner, maybe more resilient infrastructure definitely, And.
Speaker 2: All of this leads us to a truly transformative concept in modern IT infrastructure as code IIC.
Speaker 1: This is the absolute game changer, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It really is answerable lets you manage your entire infrastructure pretty much like a software developer manages code.
Speaker 1: So version control like get.
Speaker 2: Ye, get collaboration with poll requests, creating branches for new features or testing. You can even run unit tests on your infrastructure definitions.
Speaker 1: Wow, that brings incredible consistency and peer review for security and best practices.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and it fosters this shared, transparent understanding of how your systems are actually built and maintained. It turns infrastructure management from this kind of dark art done by a few people into a collaborative, open engineering process.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get down to actually using it. Then. Installing ansable sounds surprisingly straightforward.
Speaker 2: It really is. On macOS, you've got great options Homebrew, the package manager is super popular, or you can use pip by Thon's package installer, which gives you really precise control over the exact ansable version you want.
Speaker 1: And for Linux like Ubuntu.
Speaker 2: On Linux, pip is often preferred over the system package manager like app. Why is that, Well, sometimes the app packages can lag behind a bit become outdated quickly, so PIP often gets you the latest features faster.
Speaker 1: Right, and Windows users aren't left out, not at all.
Speaker 2: You can easily use the Windows subsystem for Linux WSL run antsable just like you're on a native Linux machine. It feels totally seamless.
Speaker 1: Okay, So once it's installed, you work with ansable's basic building blocks, host inventories and playbooks.
Speaker 2: That's right. A host inventory is essentially just a list of the machines Anthemble is going to manage.
Speaker 1: Can be super simple, right, like one IP address.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be just a single IP with a username and maybe a private key file. Or it can get more complex, organizing hosts into logical groups, yeah, maybe with shared settings for each group.
Speaker 1: And then you have your playbooks. These are the automation blueprints.
Speaker 2: Exactly your blueprints. They're written in the YAMEL that's yamil, ain't markup language or anyone wondering, very.
Speaker 1: Human readable, and they lay out the key parts.
Speaker 2: YEP key elements like name, just a description of what the playbook does. Host which machines or groups to target gatherfacts, tells ansible to collect info about the target machines before starting.
Speaker 1: Like OS version, IP address things.
Speaker 2: Like that exactly. Then become that lets ansable run commands with elevated privileges like pseudo or running his root. And then you have handlers.
Speaker 1: Handler's sound interesting. They're special tasks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're pretty clever. Handlers only get triggered if a prior task actually made a change to the system. And crucially, they only run once at the very end of the entire playbook, run even if multiple tasks notified them.
Speaker 1: Ah, So like restarting a service only if it's config file change.
Speaker 2: Perfect example. Think of them as a highly efficient cleanup crew that only jumps into action if something actually got modified. Saves unnecessary restarts.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, and running the playbook.
Speaker 2: Is simple, super simple. A command like ansonable playbook on a host's playbook dot iml that applies your configurations to one machine or hundreds brings new machines up to your desired state quickly, consistently.
Speaker 1: When you think about using that single command, what for you is the biggest time saver? For me, it's just the sheer consistency across maybe dozens or hundreds of machines.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, consistency is huge, but also just the ability to bring a brand new, freshly launched machine to a perfectly configured state with one command replicating what used to take maybe hours of manual, error prone clicking and typing. It's truly transformative, like having an army of tireless meticulous assistance.
Speaker 1: Okay, so once you've got the basics down, you quickly see the real power comes when you start scaling up reusability, more advanced commands.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that brings us to the vibrant heart of the ansible community.
Speaker 1: Ansible galaxy, the community hubs.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a central repository for what we call rolls and collections.
Speaker 1: Let's break those down.
Speaker 2: Rolls first, okay. Roles are basically pre built, reusable units of automation for common tasks I think installing a patche, configuring NTP, setting up a database, user.
Speaker 1: Stuff lots of people need to do exactly.
Speaker 2: They have a standard folder structure, specific places for tasks, files to copy, templates, variables, those handlers we talked about. This structure makes them incredibly portable and super easy to share and reuse and collections. They're newer yeah, introduced in Antsable two point New collections are a more comprehensive way to bundle things. They can passckage modules, the actual code that does the work, plugins and rolls altogether, so like a.
Speaker 1: Bigger content pack, maybe from a specific vendor.
Speaker 2: Precisely makes it much easier to distribute and consume related content from vendors or specific community projects. And you use the ansable Galaxy command line tool to easily install roles or collections, search for them, even publish your own. It really expands the ecosystem now beyond.
Speaker 1: Just Ansable Playbook, there's a whole suite of commands right an antsible command toolkit.
Speaker 2: There is for quick one off tasks against machines. You use the Ansible command itself, not Ansible Playbook.
Speaker 1: Like checking up time or installing one package.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or running any module ad hoc. For instance, ansible iosts all, Ansable dot build in dot ping just checks connectivity to all hosts. Or you could update all packages like ansible ihosts webservers, ansable dot build in dot app a name state latest. It's like a powerful parallel remote.
Speaker 1: Show, very handy for quick checks or changes.
Speaker 2: What else is in the toolkit, Well, there's ansable config for managing Antsable's configuration files. Ansable doc is super useful. It gives you documentation on any module written your terminal. An Soble inventory helps you work with your inventory files, visualized groups, et cetera.
Speaker 1: An ansible poll. That one sounds different.
Speaker 2: It is quite unique. Ansible poll reverses the normal process instead of your control node pushing configurations out. Target machines can use ansible poll to pull playbooks down from source control like get and run them locally.
Speaker 1: Ah useful for machines that are maybe disconnected sometimes or behind strict firewalls exactly.
Speaker 2: Or if you just prefer a poll model for configuration management.
Speaker 1: Okay, all these commands offer incredible flexibility. But this leads to a critical question. We're writing all this configuous code, maybe storing it and get how do you manage sensitive stuff? Passwords, API keys. You can't just hardcode those, right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. That's a huge security risk, and that's where ansible volt comes in. It is an absolute life.
Speaker 1: Saver, welt like a safe pretty much.
Speaker 2: It's purpose built for securing your secrets within your answable project. Can use it to encrypt entire files like maybe your inventory file if it has passwords, or even more granularly, you can encrypt individual variables directly within a playbook or a variable file, so the.
Speaker 1: File itself is still readable, but the secret part.
Speaker 2: Is scrambled exactly. What's really genius here is that the encrypted content remains fully readable by ansable when you provide the vault password at runtime, but it appears as just garbled unreadable text to any human looking at the file and get or on disc.
Speaker 1: That's brilliant. So it's safe to commit sensitive information directly into your source control.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, which is crucial for security, especially when you integrate with CICD pipelines, which we'll talk about later. It means your automation can run accessing the secrets it needs without ever exposing those sensitive credentials in logs or to developers just browsing the code.
Speaker 1: Okay, that vault feature sounds essential. Let's move to some practical applications censible really doing work. How about deploying a classic web server stack like LMP.
Speaker 2: Sure, LMP Linux, Apache, MERYDB, or myseql PHP. It's a perfect example. You can combine multiple ansable roles. Maybe one role for setting up a patche one for Maria dB, one for Php.
Speaker 1: Showing that modularity exactly.
Speaker 2: Each role handles its specific part. The Apache role installs the package, configures virtual hosts, manages firewall rules. Maybe the MERIDB role installs the database, sets the root passwords securely using vault, creates application databases and users. The Php role installs the necessary modules. Ansable orchestrates all these roles together, ensuring a consistent, repeatable lamp deployment every single time.
Speaker 1: Nice. Now, one of the really cool tricks you mentioned is managing different Linux operating systems, right like Debian and red Hat, maybe with the same playbook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a huge benefit, especially in larger environments. You don't want separate playbooks for everything.
Speaker 1: So how does that work? How does ansble know the difference?
Speaker 2: It's quite elegant. Actually, remember gather facts. Ansable collects information about the target system. One of those facts is ANSI police samiling. Your playbook can use conditional logic based on that fact, like an if statement sort of. You can use when ansible's family equals Debian on tasks specific to Debian, Ubuntu, or you can use import tasks conditionally like import tasks wn dot mL when dot ansib lea's family equals Debian and have another for Redhead dot mml ah.
Speaker 1: So you group the OS specific tasks into separate fives exactly.
Speaker 2: It keeps the main playbook clean. This is absolutely essential because things differ, right Yeah, package names HTTPD versus Apache two service names. Security features like selnix or firewalled on red Hat systems requires specific handling that Debian doesn't.
Speaker 1: So a single well written role can truly be distribution agnostic, makes them much more reusable. Perfect for sharing on Galaxy precisely. Okay. Now for something maybe really surprising. Windows automation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of ansable's lesser known superpowers. But it's really capable.
Speaker 1: So not just Linux. How does it talk to Windows? Not SSH? Right? Right?
Speaker 2: It uses win RM Windows Remote Management, which is Microsoft standard protocol for remote management based on WS management. Ansable has a rapidly growing collection of Windows specific modules.
Speaker 1: What kind of things can you do?
Speaker 2: A lot? You can launch Windows servers in Azure or AWS, enable Windows features, manage local users and groups, install software using tools like Chocolatey, a package manager for Windows. You can manage services, registry, keys, reboot, machines run PowerShell scripts. Honestly, the experience feels just as seamless and powerful as managing a Linux host. Once you're set up.
Speaker 1: That really brondzs the scope. And speaking of scope, ANTSAPLE isn't just for servers, is it? Network automation? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Network automation is a huge area for antsible now. It covers a vast array of network devices. We're talking Cisco, Juniper, Arista, F five, Checkpoint fort net list goes on.
Speaker 1: So routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, all of the above.
Speaker 2: There are literally hundreds of network specific modules. You can manage configurations, push updates, manage vlands, interfaces, firewall rules, BGP neighbors. It transforms network configuration from this manual, often error prone, CLI driven task into a fully automated code driven process, just like servers.
Speaker 1: Bringing infrastructure as code to the network stack exactly.
Speaker 2: Huge benefits for consistency and speed and of.
Speaker 1: Course the cloud massive platforms like Azure and AWS. How does ansable play there.
Speaker 2: It's a natural fit for Microsoft Azure. Ansable can do the full life cycle launch vms, configure them, but also manage the surrounding infrastructure v nets subnets, network security groups, nsgs, Azure load balancers.
Speaker 1: Can it automatically add new vms to its inventory?
Speaker 2: Yes, Azure has dynamic inventory scripts for ansable, so as you scale up vms, they automatically become manageable by ansable. And critically, ansable has modules to wait for a VM to be fully provisioned and ready, maybe wait for SSH to be available before attempting configuration. Prevents so many frustrating.
Speaker 1: Errors that weighting capability sounds simple but essential and AWS similar story, very similar.
Speaker 2: You can build out entire cloud networks on AWS, vpcs, subjects across multiple availability zones, azs, Internet gateways, route tables, security groups. Antsable can even dynamically retrieve your own public IP address when running the playbook, so you can create highly specific firewall rules in your security groups allowing access only from where you're running antsable.
Speaker 1: Very neat okay, Now for what you called a real ASA moment highly available cloud deployments, this is like the holy grail for many web applications, right staying up.
Speaker 2: No matter what it is, and this is where ansable truly shines in orchestrating complex, resilient architectures. Let's take deploying a highly available WordPress site on AWS as an example.
Speaker 1: Okay, WordPress needs a web server, database, file storage. How do you make it highly available with ansable and AWS.
Speaker 2: So ansable integrates multiple AWS services seamlessly. First, instead of running a database on your web server VMS, you use Amazon RDS, the Relational Database Service.
Speaker 1: A managed database takes away the pain of managing myseql yourself.
Speaker 2: Exactly highly available automated backups patching. Ansable just configures WordPress to point to the RDS endpoint. Then, for the WordPress files, themes, plugins, uploads, you need shared storage accessible by multiple web servers and different ass For that use Amazon EFS Elastic file System. Ansible mounts the EFS volume onto each web server instance.
Speaker 1: So all instances see the same files. What about traffic?
Speaker 2: You put an application Elastic load Balancer ELB in front of your web servers. The ELB distributes traffic across instances in multiple availability zones. Ansable configures the ELB target groups, health checks.
Speaker 1: And the web servers themselves. How do you handle scaling and failures?
Speaker 2: That's where Amazon Machine Images amis and Auto Scaling Groups asgs come in. First, you use ansable to build a golden AMI a pre configured image of your WordPress web server with a patch in Jinks PHP, the EFS mount everything set up. Then you tell an autoscaling group to use this AMI launch instances across multiple azs and maintain a desired number of instances. The ASG automatically repla places fail instances and can scale up or down based on load using ELB health checks.
Speaker 1: Wow so ansable orchestrates the setup of RDS, EFS, ELB, the Golden AMI, and the ASG.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it ties all these powerful AWO services together into a coherent, highly available WordPress deployment. If you connect this to the bigger picture, this kind of sophisticated automation doesn't just reduce potential downtime. It inherently builds resilience right into your application architecture. It ensures your site stays available even if an entire AWS availability zone has issues. Trying to achieve that level of robustness manually would be incredibly complex, time consuming, and error prone.
Speaker 1: Okay, that AWUS example is impressive, but all this powerful automation it sounds great that it also brings up a crucial question, security and compliance. How do you make sure your automated deployments are actually secure before they even run. Just relying on manual code reviews seems risky.
Speaker 2: It is risky. Humans miss things, especially in complex playbooks. That's why Stata code analysis tools are absolutely essential in an IIC world. Tools like checkof and kics are fantastic examples. They're open source.
Speaker 1: And they scan your ansable playbooks exactly.
Speaker 2: They scan your playbooks, terraform code, Kubernetes, manifests, whatever IC you have. They act as your automated safety net. They look for common misconfigurations, potential security vulnerabilities, think like an EC two instance accidentally getting a public IP when it shouldn't or in at three bucket being public. They also check for compliance issues like maybe unencrypted storage volumes or resources missing required organizational tags.
Speaker 1: So they're like that super meticulous colleague who reviews your code for obvious flaws, but automated.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy, and they run fast, integrated to CICD pipelines. They catch potential problems long before they hit production. You can even add suppression comments in your code for risks you've analyzed and decided to accept, so they don't flag those again.
Speaker 1: So they help prevent issues. Can ansable also help fix issues or harden existing servers?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely. Ansible can integrate with s COPY, the Security Content Automation Protocol. It's a NYST standard for automating vulnerability management and compliance checking s KEP.
Speaker 1: How does that work with ansable?
Speaker 2: There's an open source implementation called openscap. You can use ansable to run openscapy scans against your systems using pre defined security baselines like CIS benchmarks or dissistigs. And here's the really cool part. Openscap can often automatically generate ansible playbooks or Bash scripts to remediate the problems it finds.
Speaker 1: WHOA seriously, it writes the fix for.
Speaker 2: You in many cases. Yes, it's incredibly powerful for maintaining a hardened state and for web applications specifically. Ansible playbooks can orchestrate security scans using specialized tools too, like wp scan for WordPress vulnerabilities or oasp zeba, a more general web app scanner. Often you'd run these tools inside doctor containers triggered by ansable for consistency.
Speaker 1: Okay, scanning before hardening during and this all feeds beautifully into continuous integration and continuous delivery right CICD, making automation truly frictionless.
Speaker 2: Exactly cics where it all comes together platforms like GitHub actions, get labci, Azure DevOps. They provide these temporary compute resources ephemeral runners that automatically execute your ansible playbooks whenever code changes are pushed to your repository, so.
Speaker 1: No manual ansable playbook commands.
Speaker 2: Anymore, ideally not for production deployments. You define your entire workflow, linking the playbook, running static analysis with checkof maybe running tests, and finally applying the playbook, all in the ammal file right alongside your code.
Speaker 1: What are the tricky parts there? Getting credential setup securely.
Speaker 2: That's critical, setting up sshkey securely, managing cloud credentials like Azure Service Principles or AWSIM roles, and storing sensitive stuff like the ansible vault password. These platforms have secure secret management features. You store the secrets there, not in your code. The CICD runner gets temporary access when it runs.
Speaker 1: So the core idea is push code, pipeline, run infrastructure updates, no manual intervention, no exposed passwords, just consistent, repeatable deployments.
Speaker 2: That's the goal. The pinnacle of automated reliability.
Speaker 1: Thinking about that shift, moving from running playbooks manually to a full CICD model, what stands out to you as the biggest shift in mindset for a team making that transition?
Speaker 2: Good question. I think it's the fundamental shift from well it worked when I ran it to it always works the same way. You move from a manual, often reactive process to a proactive, automated one where consistency and reliability are just baked in, it really changes team dynamics. You start trusting the automation itself. It frees up so much mental energy for innovation instead of constantly fighting fires or worrying about deployment errors.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. Let's explore a few more advanced topics and really see the real world impact. Answerable can integrate with other services too, right, going beyond just configuring the machines themselves.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's where things get really integrated and powerful. Antsl can talk to collaboration tools like Slack.
Speaker 1: So you get notified when a playbook.
Speaker 2: Runs exactly, send real time notifications, maybe color code the message based on whether changes were made or if it failed. Keeps everyone in the loop. You can also send detailed messages to a host cyslog for centralized logging and auditing.
Speaker 1: What about ITSM tools like service now Absolutely yeah.
Speaker 2: You can have your playbook automatically open an incident ticket in service now if something fails, or maybe open a change request before starting and close it upon successful completion. You could even attach the playbook run logs or configuration files directly to the ticket for auditing purposes. This really takes automation to the next level, ensuring operational processes are followed automatically.
Speaker 1: That's bridging the gap between automation code and business process. Very cool. Now, what happens when things don't go as planned? Because let's be honest, complex automation sometimes breaks.
Speaker 2: You mentioned a debugger, Yes, the answerable playbook debugger. It is an abs life saver, especially when you're working on complex, multi step playbooks.
Speaker 1: So if a task fails, it doesn't just stop.
Speaker 2: You can configure it to drop you into an interactive debugger shell right at the point of failure.
Speaker 1: What can you do in there?
Speaker 2: A lot? You can inspect all the variables available to the task using commands like p task of ours pe for print. You can review the exact error message and here's the killer feature. You can often modify variables on the fly right there in the debugger, and then rerun just the failed task using the redo command.
Speaker 1: No way, so you don't have to guess, change the playbook and rerun the whole thing from the start.
Speaker 2: Exactly. If you think a variable was wrong, you can try changing it and immediately retry the task. It saves an immense amount of debugging time and frustration, especially on long running playbooks.
Speaker 1: That debugger sounds incredibly useful. Okay, let's bring it all home some concrete, real world examples where you've seen antsable really make it different.
Speaker 2: Sure, we've seen it use for incredible complex depliments, multi component applications spanning dozens of servers across public clouds. Automating that whole process cut deployment times from days to hours and drastically reduced human error.
Speaker 1: What about using it with other tools?
Speaker 2: Yeah, A very common and powerful pattern is using ansable with Terraform. Terraform is great at provisioning the core infrastructure the VMS networks databases. Then Terraform hands off to ansable, which handles the application level configuration, software installation, and bootstrapping on that infrastructure. You leverage each tool's strengths terraform for the wet ansable for the how on the instance, it's a fantastic combo.
Speaker 1: That makes sense using the right tool for the job. Any other examples, maybe in enabling others.
Speaker 2: Definitely deploying antsable awx, the open source version of red hat Ansable automation platform or the commercial RedHat platform itself. This gives you a web based UID and API for ansable. We've seen companies use this to create self service IT portals for.
Speaker 1: Developers self service How does that work?
Speaker 2: A developer might go to the atax WebUI fill out a simple survey like I need a medium sized environment with this database and it's emit awx then triggers an ansable playbook behind the scenes that provisions the VMS, installs the software, maybe updates the cmdb all automatically. It can integrate with ticketing systems enforced role based access control. It frees up the central IT team from handling repetitive requests and empowers the developers directly.
Speaker 1: That's huge, democratizing the automation exactly.
Speaker 2: Another quick example automated DNS updates, giving frontline support teams a simple AWX survey to update specific DNS records without ever needing direct access to the complex DNS provider console. AWX runs, the ansable playbook makes the change via API and logs everything automatically, safe, controlled, auditive.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a journey we've taken. We've really gone from understanding ansables fascinating sci fi origins its core principles all the way to seeing its practical application across different operating systems, network gear and the major cloud providers like AWS Nazure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we explored how it helps ensure security and compliance through scanning, how it integrates so naturally into modern CICD pipelines, and even how it enhances team collaboration through things like notifications and self service portals.
Speaker 1: What's really profound here, I think, is that answable isn't just about technical efficiency, you know, automating a few scripts. It's really about enabling consistency at scale, drastically reducing human error which is always lurking, and freeing up incredibly valuable time for people to do more strategic, more creative work.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's fundamentally about defining your entire IT landscape as executable code, making it repeatable, shareable, versionable, and scalable in ways that were frankly unimaginable just a decade or so ago.
Speaker 1: So, wrapping this up, what does all this mean for you the listener? As you go about your day, think about those manual tasks you do, the repetitive stuff. This raises a critical personal question. Really, what single repetitive process in your daily routine, maybe one that feels like a constant drain or source of errors? Could you potentially start automating with antsable?
Speaker 2: It doesn't have to be a huge, complex system right away. Often it's those small, targeted winds automating one annoying task that build momentum and lead to the biggest, most satisfying impacts down the line.